Speaker 1: GM is dropping car play. Amazon has a new warning on certain product listings, and Apple sets a date for their next big reveal. Oh plus, your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm rich Demiro and this is rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show, and welcome to our new listeners in Boise, Welcome to rich on Tech. Phone lines are now open at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Phone lines are open. Give me a call if you have a question about technology, or if you're too shy you don't want to give me a call. Email is also an option. Send it to hello at Richontech dot TV. I hope you're having a good weekend so far. I am, although I got to say I feel kind of silly. I got a little story time for you because I went to Phoenix, Arizona this week for a car test drive testdrove the new Hyundai Ionic six ev I only test drive cars that are sort of alternative fuel because that's where a lot of the momentum is and so, you know, I'll travel for these things once in a while, but this was one of the things. It's kind of like a junket where they take you out there and you know, they you're out there for two days, forty eight hours, a whole bunch of other journalists and tech folks out there, well maybe not just tech, mostly car people. And I love it because, you know, I get to hang with all these people that know a lot about cars. So for me, it's a great education just to talk to all these other people that cover cars about what's happening in the industry, what's going on in the world of cars, and just their take on everything. And so that's like a side note. You know, I get to see these cars and test drive them, but I also get this whole hand. You know, it's gonna say hands on time, but that's maybe with the cars. Uh Anyway, So this is just so silly, and I just feel like I have to share because I'm so embarrassed what happened to me. So this trip has been going on, you know, we had a planned for so long. Talk to the travel people, they're you know, they're organizing the trip, and it's it's in Arizona, Sedona, to be exact, and so Sedona is like a two hour drive from Phoenix. But you know, you can't really fly into Sedona. So I'm scheduling the flight from lax to Phoenix, and I'm talking with the person on the other end, the travel people. They're giving me some options for flights, and I keep saying, you know, back and forth, Okay, well I should probably do this flight because it's like a two hour drive back to from Sedona or to Sedona, whatever and whatever. I get my flights. I get there, I pack, I look at the weather for Sedona. I finally land in Phoenix. I did not I don't know what was going on with me, but I didn't realize how quick the flight was from Los Angeles to Phoenix. I was, you know, I was getting ready for like a three hour, two and a half hour flight. I don't know why. It was forty five minutes. So that was number one. We land in Phoenix and I get to the person that's driving me and I say, oh, we got a long drive ahead. Huh, gotta buckle in, And he's like, long drive it's like twenty minutes to Scottsdale. I'm like, wait what. So my thesis is, my point of this is we were going to Scottsdale, Arizona, not Sedona, Arizona. And I had told my wife. She I was like, Oh, aren't you jealous? I'm going to Sedona. This whole time, I think I'm going to Sedona, and I get there and this driver's like, no, the whole thing is taking place in Scottsdale. Okay, both cities start with an S. I get it, but I don't know what to say here. My point is, even with the most advanced technology flight tracking tools maps, I looked up our hotel on Google Maps, and I still didn't realize that it was in Scottsdale and not Sedona. So why am I telling you this? Yeah, because I feel really dumb. That's why you could have all the technology in the world and still if you're not paying attention to details, you're going to miss something. And the best part was when I was talking to some of the other journalists there. One of the guys was like, oh, you're the guy that thought he was going to Sedona because my driver was telling me that there was a guy that he picked up before me, that thought he was going to Sodona and he anyway, So I figured i'd share that. So don't feel bad when you make a mistake in this world, because you know what it happens to the best of us. Now, I could talk the entire show about AI, because that's really what's happening in the tech world. I'm not going to talk about a whole bunch of it, but I do want to talk a little bit about what's happening here. So if you saw that picture of the pope and the puffy jacket, that picture fooled the entire world apparently, and this was a picture that was made by AI and apparently by a Chicago man. This pope in the white puffy coat just took over the internet. Everyone was retweeting this picture, and of course it looks silly. It looked too, you know, kind of looked like it was real. But you're also like, oh, maybe he does do that. I don't know, but it was fake and it was made by AI. And it has made me realize that example. And also my sister sent me a link to a YouTube video and we were debating whether we trust it, whether it's right, whether it's wrong. It has made me realize that we are now living in a time when you might not be able to believe anything that you see or hear. Let me say that again. We're living in a time when you may not be able to believe anything that you see or hear. I'm not talking different opinions. I'm not talking you see someone on the news and you don't agree with them, and you don't believe what they're saying. I'm talking when you see something with your own eyes or hear it with your own ears, it may not be real. This is how good AI has gotten in just the six months or so that we've been seeing it on a big level. So the AI that we're using, the AI tools like bard and bing and chat GBT, they say right on them, this is known to hallucinate. What does that mean? It makes stuff up. It just pulls stuff out of thin air. It's a computer. It says wrong answers with confidence. It says stuff that you think is right and it's not. Now today Twitter is supposedly taking away verified badges from traditionally verified folks like myself. If you go to my Twitter page at rich on Tech, you'll see I've got a blue badge, right, That blue badge, for many years has meant that, oh Rich is verified, This rich on tech is who he says he is. But apparently Twitter is taking that away now. They haven't done it just yet, but everyone is tweeting now saying, ah, this is the end of it. I'm it's over. You know, no one's gonna know who I am. There's gonna be a lot of people, you know, IMPOSSI faking to be other people? What does that mean? Again? Now, when you're on Twitter, you may not be able to trust what you're seeing from someone that you thought was the person that's tweeting that. Someone may register rich on tech with underscores and you may go on there and say, oh, this is what Rich is saying, but it's not me, And how do you know it's me? How do you know which one is me? You won't anymore unless I pay eight bucks a month, which I'm not going to do. I did it for a month and it just I didn't get anything out of it, and I'm certainly not paying for a blue check mark that I've had for free for I don't know how many years, ten years. So this is a problem who you trust and why you trust them. This is going to become a big problem with the Internet, with AI, with all of this stuff that's happening. Anyone can create a video that is generated that looks like someone. Anyone can create a picture that's generated that looks like something. Anyone can create an article and post it and say that this is true. Well, that's been going on for a long time now. It is getting really tricky out there now. If you saw this, if you're following with any of this stuff, you saw this AI letter that you know is big on the news. Over one thousand people, oh, over thirty thousand people signed it, including Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak, leading AI researchers. They all called for a six month pause on AI systems more powerful than GPT four, which is the latest version of Chat GPT. But apparently a lot of these people signing it were fake. People just signed for them, and a lot of these people behind the signatures, like Elon Musk, he might want to pause chat GPT progress because guess what he's got competing AI companies he wants to work for. He used to be a part of Open Ai, and he kind of left that company on bad terms. He didn't want to be there anymore because they didn't want to do things his way. So even a letter that wants to stop AI is kind of a huge mess. It's just something that is we can't even trust the letter, the petition about AI. I don't know what's going to happen with all this stuff. This is really really getting tricky. Now. I'm a journalist, classically trained journalist, right, so what do I do. I talk about the truth. I put facts in my stories. I say stuff that I think is vetted. You know, I look and I cross check, if you see, before I send out an email with my story that I air on TV, I check people's names and spellings and facts over and over and over, just to make sure everything's right. Guess what, a lot of people don't do that anymore. You can be on tiktoking about two seconds. You can be on Instagram in two seconds. You can be on Twitter in two seconds. So the reality is we as people need to start doing a little bit more research for ourselves before you just share something. Before you just take for granted that something that you're seeing online is true, you got to figure out is it. That's a lot of work. By the way, it's a lot of a lot of work for us. It's a lot of work for me as a journalist that you know, my full time job is to do that. But as a regular person, you're flipping through Facebook and you've got to figure out, now if is this picture real? If you want to see an example of this, go to my Instagram at rich on Tech. Check out my stories. Okay, and I posted this morning some personal news. After much thought, I've traded in my ev for something much more practical, and I've got this kind of classic car in the background. And the reality is I used an AI program to replace the car that I was standing in front of with this other car. And now, to let people in on the joke, I did a whole bunch of different cars. So if you flip through my stories, you'll see how many different cars I put in there, And it's all kind of a joke, just to let people know that this is what's possible, and it's so good, and it's with an app that's free. And by the way, I'll talk about that app later in the show. Anyway, be on your toes with all this AI stuff. You really need to be all right. We got a great show today coming up. We're gonna talk about GM. I think they're making a really bad move. They are dropping car play. That is not good when people really seek out cars with car play. We'll talk about that. We're going to talk about the demise of E three. This is the big video game show. It is not happening this year. We'll talk about why that is. Later in the show, we'll talk about the dos and don'ts of taking a vacation spring break for a lot of people. Should you work on that trip. We'll talk to an expert who has some thoughts on that, and later I'll tell you about the best flight tracking app. We're gonna have the founder of that app telling why they started flighty. That's all coming up, plus your calls at triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. Phone lines are open at triple eight rich one oh one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can also email hello at rich on Tech dot TV or go to the website. Rich on tech dot TV phone number is listed right at the top. All right, so I mentioned before that GM is planning to phase out Apple car Play in their cars. Now apparently, according to Reuters, this is in their e So I don't know if it's all of the cars, but definitely evs Okay, So let's just assume that it's just EV's. But here's a deal. The whole world is shifting to EV's now. I will tell you as someone who really really enjoys Apple car Play, the car I have now does not have it. And the cars I did before I purchased them because they had car Play and I really wanted that, like that was a thing, like it, like there was no I was not making a decision on these cars if they didn't have car play, like it was just not a thing. But then the car I really wanted didn't have it, so I had to go with it, and I every day I regret it now I don't. I mean, I like my car. I just it's one of those things that I miss every single day because it's so simple. So you and I'm not singling out car play, I mean Android Auto is just as good and it's one of these things where you already have your phone. You've already got your phone figured out, You've got the apps you like, You've got the services you like, you've got the connection you like. Why should we try something different? Well, according to Reuter's General, Motors is going to phase out car Play and Android Auto instead shifting to an infotainment system developed with Google for their future electric vehicles. Now, it's not so bad that it's developed with Google. I've seen some of these other cars, like a Pollstar, they have Google inside their car. And the reality is it's fine. But here's the thing. People that have an iPhone are not going to be happy. They're not going to be happy because they want to be able to plug in their phone and use CarPlay just the way they use it in their car today, or use their iPhone or set up their screen the way they like it. And by the way, they have an iPhone because they don't want Google. They don't necessarily like Google, and so they don't want to use a separate infotainment system. Let's see. Now, here's the other thing. Chevrolet really had a lot of emphasis on CarPlay in the past, and when you rented a car, it was nice and easy to use when you bought a car. It was just super easy because you knew it worked in there if you had a GM. Here's what my kick Me, executive director of Digital Cockpit Experience told Reuters. We have a lot of new driver assistance features coming that are more tightly coupled with navigation. We don't want to design these features in a way that are dependent on a person having a cell phone, really, because everyone has a cell phone. I mean, I don't think people are really sad that they have to use their cell phone for their car. Buyers of new evs from GM will get systems with access to Google Maps and Google Assistant, a voice command system at no extra cost for eight years.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I also learned this at the Hyundai event. I did not realize that a lot of these services that you have in your car are included for a certain amount of time. They're not forever. So if you look at these connections, they did this really good slide. So with Chevy, let's see you get ten years of remote diagnostics, Ford its complementary. Let's see Toyota's ten years, Honda Honda complimentary complimentary for Hyundai, and then let's see Nissan three years, Kia one to five years, Subaru is three years, and then Volkswagen five years in Tesla eight years. So it's interesting that you think that these things that you have in your car, this connectivity package or whatever, is going to last forever. But no, these companies may charge after a certain point. And that's one of the things that Hyundai's doing is they're actually making it unlimited for the lifetime of the first owner, which I think is going to force a lot of other car makers to do the same. But the thing about all this is that you know, what you see on that screen in the middle of your car is really starting to change. And we saw a lot of progress with Apple car Play and what they're doing there, and a lot of progress with Google, and I think that this is a step back. I really do. I think that many people want CarPlay in the center console if they have an iPhone, and for GM to just say, now, with our evs, we're just going to do our own thing, I'll say that's probably one of the biggest complaints I have about the Tesla is that it has its own software and it's fine, but I don't understand why they don't just use something that's better. I mean, I kind of do understand, because if you think about it, Tesla. One of the magic parts of the Tesla is that they have the automatic ev routing, and so if you want to route, you know, if you just want to use your GPS, it'll tell you when you need to stop to get a charge. And so I do understand that if you're using something like CarPlay or Android Auto, and these car makers are really trying to integrate those systems of when to charge in their cars, which is something that a lot of these other automakers don't do. Right now, that's a problem if you're trying to use you know, Android Auto or CarPlay, and so I do understand that aspect of it, but I think this is a little near sighted for the amount. I just don't think they realize how many people do appreciate having that feature. So anyway, one thing I wanted to mention. I didn't mention this earlier with the the Phoenix stuff, but when I traveled, I noticed I did not get my points for my Southwest flight, and so I was like, I wonder if I can get them. After the fact, I realized my number was not in there, and I went on their website and sure enough, there's a little space where you can say, hey, give me credit for a pass flight. I popped in my confirmation number and the points were there within a couple of minutes. So if you ever take a flight and you forgot to put your frequent flyer number in which it can happen, go to the website of the airline and see if there's like a place to redeem past flight credits or you know, get points for past flights. Because I was surprised how easy the process was, because all this stuff is online. Don't even need to call someone, and it happened. They said, oh, we'll get back to you in like forty eight hours. It happened like almost instantly. Coming up more rich on Tech. We got your calls at triple eight rich one oh one. Give me a call eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Coming up, we're going to talk about E three and why it's not happening this year. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one uh give out the email address hello at rich On tech dot TV, Mark wrote in about my Scottsdale and Sedona story. He said, both great places to visit. Years ago, when I worked for a commuter airline in the Midwest, we had a lady get off the plane in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. She looked around, then told the gate agent, this doesn't look like Grand Rapids, Michigan, which of course it wasn't. Everyone who issued or looked at her ticket did not realize that GPZ Minnesota was not GRR Michigan. She was on the first flight out the next day, as there are no other flights that night. Mark and Phoenix, Arizona. See Now, I don't feel that bad. At least I flew to the right place. But I've had people. In fact, the woman in front of me for the Southwest when I was flying out a burbank, she actually she was on this. She got to the thing and the person looked at her ticket and was like, no, this is not the right flight she is. So it happens, and I think with Southwest specifically, if you've never flown them, sometimes their flights will literally take like three hops like my flight was going Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver or something like that. Like there was three cities packed into one flight. It's unique in that way. All right, So E three it's been announced that it's not happening this year. This is the big video game show that usually happens in downtown Los Angeles every year, and it's not happening. This is a very popular show but apparently no more. So here to talk about it is Rebecca Valentine. She is a reporter at IGN. Rebecca, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rich, thank you so much for having me correct me.
Speaker 1: If I'm wrong. Did you you guys broke this story?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what the deal? So E three stands for the Electronic Entertainment Expo. I've been many times over the years, and it's the show where they kind of show off all the new video games people come from all over. They opened it up to the public in recent years. So tell me what happened this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's there's like a little bit of history. I guess it's sort of helpful contextually, But like the show's been in trouble for the last several years. Like for years it was just a business conference mainly for media and for people to do business deals. Then a couple of years back they opened it to the public and there was there are some you know, controversies to whether that was a good idea or not. It kind of changed the form out of the show. And then in twenty twenty, COVID nineteen pandemic happened, and they obviously canceled as all the events canceled, but there there was kind of some reports that things were not going great behind the scenes at that point anyway. And so then in twenty twenty one they had in all Digital showcase that was kind of you know, not not especially well received. It was kind of kind of muted, I guess.
Speaker 5: And then in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty two they were supposed to have a show and they said they were going to have a show, and then they canceled again and said they needed time to sort of you know, prepare a big comeback for E three. And so this year they brought on RePOP which usually runs PAX events, which is another consumer focused gaming conference that happened in a couple of places across the world a couple times a year. And that's a successful one, right, Yes, tax the tax is very successful, it's very well loved. It's much smaller than E three, and it is a consumer show specifically, but yeah, people love tax It's a great show. But yeah, they brought Redpop on and there at the beginning, there was a lot of conversation about how it seemed to be going well. People seem to be buying in, but kind of just a confluence of crappy things sort of led to a lot of publishers dropping out. A lot of companies still haven't brought on. You know, they laid off event staff when the pandemic happened, or they cut events budgets pretty significantly because they didn't need to have in person events, and they haven't really fueled those again. Covid disrupt did a lot of development cycles for people, and so they don't necessarily have big game demos ready to show on the show floor. Takes a lot of work to make those things. And then just there was just kind of a disorganized a little bit of disorganization from what disorganization from what I understand, kind of lack of communication is what my sources tell me on that, and kind of a lack of faith that this show was going to be worse, the amount of money that companies would need to put into it. So SOLLY has been kind of checked out for several years. Nintendo and Xbox found said that they were not going to be there, and then you'd be Saft, followed suits and then Sega and Tencent, and it just there were so many people kind of waiting for someone else to jump into the pool and say, yeah, I'm committed to E three, I'm gonna I'm going to be there and make this worth it that you know. No, but nobody actually took the leap, and so it was two months out of getting more and more expensive to cancel, and so they had to bail.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So what does this mean for the video game industry? Aren't there competitor shows that are now sort of happening more online or what does this mean for the industry.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's less a causal kind of thing and more a symptom of the industry slowly changing, sort of in response to the pandemic and some other things. So kind of one of the things that people discovered during the pandemic is that they could successfully have digital showcases. You know, at E three, it's a week long thing. It's not just a it was not just a floor show. It was also a bunch of digital showcases where Xbox and Sony and Nintendo and all these other third party Triple A publishers were having these big showcases announcing all their stuff, and it was all happening at once, So there was always kind of this conversation around, oh, who want E three? We're all competing here, and if you had a big announcement, it kind of got drowned out by someone else inevitably, And so everybody discovered that they could just successfully do digital showcases at any time of the year and speak directly to their audience and take up all the spotlights that they wanted. And if they wanted to show games to press, they could do that at Gamescom, they could do that effectively. At packs they could just fly select press outlets out on their their own dime and do a little showcase in their office. You know, there's all all kinds of different ways they can do that. And you know, business deals still happen at other shows like Games Common Germany or you know, in other places, and so I think there's a lot of different factors. But I think I think the industry just sort of kind of discovered over time that they didn't really need E three. And I think we're still going to have sort of a little bonanza of digital showcases, and Jeff Keeley's got an event going on in LA around that time to show some games for the press as well. But I think I think we're just going to foresee a dissipation of what E three used to be.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't necessarily feel confident it's going to come back, but I also think that maybe the industry has moved past it.
Speaker 1: It's kind of sad. I mean, you know, being based in Los Angeles, it was always kind of fun to go there, you know, once a year in June. I'm not a huge gamer, but it was just fun to be there with the people and to see what was going on and of course play some of the games. Do you think that you know, there was a benefit to being in person versus you know, virtual.
Speaker 3: Oh, certainly. And I think there's a benefit for certain people, right Like, there's plenty of other consumer shows, So I don't. I don't necessarily feel like that element is lost, but I do feel there was been the media side, certainly, there's quite the loss because having literally everybody in one spot for a week was super convenient, and it was also you know, very very helpful for access, right Like companies would offer up you know, executives for interviews, or they would have game demos or developers that you could talk to, and they were all kind of there in a way that they're not necessarily there all year round. And so I think the thing that I'm sort of afraid of happening is that long term we see kind of access dry up and media less and less able to actually be able to ask tough questions of companies or you know, get get really useful information for players about what's going on with games and inside games. I hope there are you know, other avenues, and I hope, I hope companies continue to provide those opportunities, but E three was really sort of a I don't know, a leveling of of that level of access for a lot of people, and I think I think we'll lose out without that all.
Speaker 1: Right, before we go, I'm curious what you're looking forward to this year. I mean, we don't have any new consoles coming out, right, so is there games that you're really looking forward to?
Speaker 3: I feel like this is the easy cop out answer, But man, I'm so excited for Tears of the Kingdom. My partner's been playing the Champions ballid DLC for Breath of the Wild, and I watched the gameplay showcase earlier this week and I'm just sort of waiting for that to come out. I can't focus on any other game until I get my hands on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And just to explain, that's the new Zelda sequel, right, yes, on the Switch and this comes out when.
Speaker 3: Oh, May twelve. Oh I hope that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well it's coming out soon, so in May sometime. And this is also the first Switch game that's going to be sixty nine ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah. A lot of other companies are raising their prices to round up to seventy dollars, and this is the first one from Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's fair? Do you think that's a fair price for a Switch game?
Speaker 3: Games are more expensive to make, so I get it, Like, I think economically it makes perfect sense given how long it takes to make these games and how much person power and how much tech and how much everything else has to go into them. That's that you know it sucks. I'm paying ten more dollars.
Speaker 1: Not fun, Yeah, that's for sure. But you know what, people loved Breath of the Wild, and so if this is even a fraction of that success, I think Nintendo, I think the fans will be willing to pay that price.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I'm not worried about that game selling copy.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Valentine Duck Valentine on Twitter, reporter at IGN. Thanks so much for joining me today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Coming up, we're going to talk about an event that is taking place but kind of virtual, kind of in person. Apple announces a date for WWDC twenty twenty three. I'll tell you when that's happening and what we're expecting coming up. Plus your calls at Triple eight Rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to Rich on tech. Oh how appropriate. Now, no one would call on their cell phone anymore, they would just text. Welcome back to Rich on tech. My name is Rich Demiro, tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles, hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. I'm on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. You can find me there and tweet it me. Also, if you want to email, you can do that. The email address is hello at richontech dot TV. Teresa did just that. She said, Hey, I got a new phone. I went to the AT and T store. They transferred my data. Now I don't have my Gmail emails. At and T can't help since it's a different carrier. Of course they can't. How do I find them? Of course some are very important. Please help me. I'm not electronic savvy. It frustrates me. Thanks for your help. Candy. Oh interesting, I guess she goes by Candy. Email, says Teresa, but she signed it Candy. PS. Love your show and appreciate all of your knowledge. Well, thank you, Candy. So sweet of you. See what I did there, Okay, so very easy. If you have Gmail, what's happened is your phone is just not logged into Gmail. So you just need to sign into your Google account and go to the Gmail app on your phone and it will be there. So I would go on if you have an iPhone or if you have an iPhone, I would you probably hadn't. I'm guessing you have an iPhone because Android would automatically be logged in, so I'm guessing its iPhone. So in the case of iPhone, there's two ways you can do it. You can either go to the Mail app, which is you know m Ail, open up that app and you can add an account. And if you don't want to go through the app, you can also go through the settings on the iPhone. So if you go to settings, scroll down until you see Mail, it's under passwords and then it says accounts and then you can say add account and it'll say iCloud, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, AOL or Outlook. So click Google and then just log in with your Google account and it will be all synced up. So that's one way of doing it. Personally, I like using the Gmail app, so you can just go to the app store download the Gmail app and you can sign in that way. But either way, your emails are safe and sound. Believe me, they are not gone because Gmail is one of the best email services and everything is stored in the cloud, so you are going to be just okay. Candy, good question, thanks for emailing in, Darren writes in. Darren writes in, hey, Rich, is it completely safe to trade in a phone when resold? Can a master hacker get any of my deleted data? Thanks? And he sent it from Android, So that is a good question. Let me think about that. I mean, there's always a potential when you're deleting something on a phone. Most of the time it's just getting marked for deletion. It's not unless you're over writing that data. It still sort of exists on the memory. And so unless you're writing something over what you just did, it's still there in some way. Most of the time, it's just not accessible from the standard means of accessing information. But if someone wanted to go in there with some sort of recovery software, they could potentially do that. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but yeah, there's a potential of that. So I have just to let you know. I've resold many phones over the years on eBay and things like that, and I've never had a problem with this. But yes, I've thought about it. So what I would do personally is you can format the phone twice before you send it out. That's one way of doing it. That's probably what i'd recommend. So if you're not familiar with how to do that on the Android, you go into the settings and you're going to go into the system and then Advanced, and you want to go to reset and you want to erase all data factory reset. Now a lot of times phones are encrypted these days, so that should probably help as well with recovering this stuff, if you know, making it tougher to recover. So I think you're probably going to be okay. But if you want once you erase all the data, it's going to take a little time for that to happen. You can set up the phone again. Just kind of scroll through all the options to set it up. Don't log in, don't log into the phone or do anything like that, but just get it to the point where you can access the operating system again, and then you can do that one more time and factory reset it twice. There's another way to factory reset androids, and that's through the recovery mode. And every phone is a little bit different, but I think most of the time it's holding down either like the power and the volume button at the same time. For a very long time until the Android logo appears, and then sometimes you have to like release the power but hold down the volume. You can look it up. Just look up like whatever model your phone is. If it's a Samsung, say like Samsung S twenty one, recovery mode, and it will tell you how to access the recovery mode. And there's a way to format your phone in recovery mode as well. So if you've forgotten the password or you have forgotten the pass code on that phone, you can still delete everything off of that phone even in that case, so if you wanted to sell it or trade it in or whatever. Now, most of the time, if I was giving a phone for a trade in, I would not give it with any information on there. So no matter who you're giving this to, I would say, make sure that you format this phone, because that's very important to make sure that your information is off of there. All right, good questions. You have a question, you can email hello at richontech dot com TV, or you can call at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one and uh Kim our amazing call screener also said, Hey, why don't you put your phone number on your website. She like whispered it, Hey, Rich, put your phone number on the website, and I said, oh, great idea. Why didn't I think of that? So if you go to Rich on tech dot TV, you can see the phone number there. In case I'm saying it too fast, WWDC, this is Apple's big event. We just talked about how just talked about how E three is not happening. Now. We didn't mention E three twenty twenty three is not happening. They never said that E three is never happening again. But our guest Rebecca was kind of hinting at the fact that it may never come back, which is really sad because that's the end of an era, especially here in Los Angeles, because that was always a show that I look forward to, and I know other gaming enthusiasts looked forward to it, especially when they opened it up to the public. Anyone can go. I mean, they had a certain amount of tickets, but that was kind of cool because you felt like an cider. And it's it's really interesting because we're seeing kind of like these big events like Comic Con just seems to get bigger every year. Is south by Southwest e three, Like some of these events are really really good, and then other events we're seeing just kind of dying over the years, which is really sad that it's like, you know, it's this divergence, like some things are going really well, other things are just dying out. So Apple WWDC is probably one of the biggest events of the year other than the iPhone launch. Apple has announced it's taking place on June fifth. This is not a consumer show. This is a show where developers go to see what's next with iPhones with all the software. If you can imagine so iOS seventeen, iPadOS seventeen, tvOS seventeen, watch os ten, and mac os fourteen, that's one, two, three, four, five separate software that developers code for for apps for the iPhone, for the iPad, for Apple TV, for the watches, for Mac computers. Now, typically they don't do a whole bunch of hardware announcements at this show, but you never know. And this year there's this big rumor that they may show off their new AR virtual reality headset. But we've been hearing this rumor for so long, I don't know if it's going to happen. And also there's also there's rumors that this thing is gonna be like three to four thousand dollars. Nobody right now is paying three to four thousand dollars for a virtual reality headset. I don't care what company it comes from, and I think Apple will be very successful with this, but it's got to be like sub five hundred bucks. This is happening Monday, June fifth, that's the big keynote, So I will head well, hopefully i'll head up there. They're having a small in person event. It's invited folks only. I don't know if I'll be invited, but it's going to be an online event. So in the past, this has been a show that people from all over the world fly in. Developers from all over the world come in to do this show, and to go to these events, and to go to these little seminars and you know speakers that they have from Apple. This is not happening this year except online. So June fifth, Friday, June ninth, WWDC, that's when it's happening. All right, more of your calls coming up next. Plus we're gonna talk about the dues and don'ts of taking a vacation and trying to work at the same time. Triple eight Rich one O one give me a call if you have a question about tech. All right, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out talking technology. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. It is free. It's right there. And one of these days I will send out a newsletter. Right now, it's dormant, but you know you want to be there in case I have a big breaking news I want to share with you. So get on the list and uh, one of these days I will send it out. Believe me, you'll be ready for it. That'll be exciting. Triple eight rich one on one is the number. That's eight eight eight seven four to one zero one. You can also go to the website rich on tech dot TV. Phone number is right there. Kevin is in the mountains of Utah. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey, Rich, thanks a million. Congratulations on the show and big fan and I think I speak on behalf of everybody. You give it a real community feel.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 5: I did that a lot. My question for you, so I was listening to your podcast from last week's show, and uh so I was setting myself a reminder to call you to ask this question. So serendipitously, the next topic you mentioned was there was a caller for Google Mesh Wi Fi and you recommended the Villo system, which I purchased and it's on the way. But my question to you is my issue is that Google Mesh doesn't you can't separate the bands. And you know, despite popular belief, there's still products that we have that are out, like say rumbas. There's some laser engravers that I have that will only run on two point four gigaherts. There was a segment on Leo a long time ago when he had a suggestion to get as far away from the signal as possible. That way it would only pick up two point four gigaherts, which didn't work. By the way, now the mailbox holding my rumba. But so before I sell this system, because I've built it up over the years, all these different mesh pods, is there a hack in order to separate that, because yeah, obviously everybody on forums say that you can't do it. I even thought about maybe getting a network extender that's only two point four gigaherts, but that didn't seem to work either. Is there anything I can do or should I just stick with the Villa, which claims that they can separate.
Speaker 1: So you're okay, So you're on which one right now?
Speaker 5: So I'm on the on Google Mesh.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're on the Google Okay, not the Nest.
Speaker 5: It's not the Nests, the newest, it's the older version of it.
Speaker 1: So I know, I okay, So I know the Villo. I believe you can say, like, hey, do this, I'll tell you how it works for mine. Okay, So and let me just explain what you're talking about in case you know someone's listening and they're like, wait, what was he talking about right now? So a lot of gadgets these days are using five gigaherts, which is a band of Wi Fi. Most of the time, we don't really think about this stuff. You just go on your gadget, it connects to your WiFi. You don't think about what band it's using. But there's a lot of gadgets that use two point four gigaherts, which is a different band, and they each have their pros and cons. By the way. So you know, when it comes to two point four gigaherts, this is a it has a longer range, so it goes further. It travels further, but it's slower. Right, five gigaherts as a shorter range, but it's faster, And so a lot of the new gadgets will use the five gigaherts. It's just how it works now. Sometimes gadgets, especially these little Internet connected devices, they will use two point four even if they're brand new. And that's because I'm guessing it's cheaper, just it's a simpler chip. They can build it in there. But the problem is when you go to connect it to your router. Most of the modern routers are doing five gigaherts by default, and that two point four device does not find the router. Does that kind of all make sense to you, Kevin, sure?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Okay. So on the eurosystem that I have, it's hidden in the settings all the way in like advanced settings. You would never even find this as the average person, except of course I'm a nerd. So I go through and look for every single setting on my systems, and so I found because I was really having trouble connecting this little outdoor Wi Fi plug to my smart home system. It just would not find the Wi Fi and I'm like, what is going on here? And sure enough I looked it up and it was a two point four and my system's a five, And so I found in the euro settings it will actually if you go to this setting, it will flip the network to two point four gigahertz, but only for like ten minutes, just to give you enough time to connect this gadget, and then it will stay on the network on the two point four and everything else will to fall back to the five. So I don't know. My long answer is, I'm not sure if Google has that setting. It's been a while since I played with the settings inside the Google network. But have you looked through every single setting on that Google app and.
Speaker 5: Every Reddit forum, and everybody says it's the only system that can't And that's why I thought there might be a hack. But then what you mentioned last week where you said, you know, Google's just got too much. They have too many things going on, Yeah, and they don't focus on the details. So my plan at this point, especially after hearing what you just said, is to stick with the Villo. Give that a ride. And thanks for that suggestion about by the way, because that doesn't pop up as your you know, ten best options for Mesh systems, you know, in twenty twenty three, So that was a that was a real pearl, So I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, and the stuff I recommend like that is stuff that I personally test out, and like I tested this system and I thought it was great. I mean it really and I've tested. Actually they have a new one now, they have a Villo six and it's just as good. I mean, I've got euro at home, which is is excellent. It's like known to be one of the best. I've had it for a long time, you know, several different versions actually, and I do like it, but I think that there's other options, and Villa is also a lot cheaper. Now here's the other thing I'm trying to look. I'm looking at this Google see now it says how you know have you I'm looking at this Nest Wi Fi kind of support form, and it looks like it somehow supports this, but I don't.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold on, it has both both two point four and five, but you can't create a separate SSID specifically for the two point four and that's it just auto assigns. That's the problem. So after spending so many years building up this mesh system, now just to like, now I have to rename the network for every single thing again. But you know, if the Villo solves that, which it appears it does, then I'll just stick with that. I just wanted to double check before I went through the hassle where I could still return it to Amazon if I needed to.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because the Google stuff says that devices that support only the two point four gigahertz band, such as an older phone, will automatically connect to the band on your system, and it's not doing that.
Speaker 5: Not at all. And even in the home the Google Home app, so when they used to have the Wi Fi app, there was there there there were two separate SSIDs. So by by their way of improving and I do air quotes with that their system, they removed some of the essentials. So I yeah, that's that's pretty much the case. I've spent probably a couple of weeks looking for different options, and the best one was, I believe it or not, was walking as far away from your house as possible with a device.
Speaker 1: And I mean, it's an interesting suggestion. I mean, I guess you know that may work, and you have an Android Do you have an Android phone that you can use to kind of look at what this thing is putting out as well? Like what? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I tried that with my, uh my Galaxy tablet or the Samsung tablet that I have. And so that leads me to the other part of it. Is the device that you're connecting is it being is it connecting based on the gigahertz that's on the mobile device that you're using to connect it to the network. So if my phone, for instance, is on two point four gigaherts or the Android at that time, and I'm adding device X to the network, is it seeing the gigahertz that is on my phone or is it No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because I think the device. Most of the ways that these devices connect to Wi Fi at this point is it sort of hands over the information to that device and then that device goes and connects on its own. That's how most of the modern devices. Maybe the older devices didn't, but that's the way I'm seeing a lot of these things working at this point. But OK, well, it sounds like you know, I'm hoping that all this two point four and five kind of goes away in the future, but it's definitely it's still like a tricky thing for a lot of people, and I believe me, I get a lot of questions about it. So it's definitely still a thing that nobody has really really figured out. And by the way, with that plug that I couldn't figure out, I ended up having just I just wrote back to the company, I said, this does not work with my network. It still wouldn't connect even with all of that stuff, and so I ended up getting a different, different plug and it worked just fine. Soh gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, Well I'll try out the villow and I'll see if that pans out.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know, all right, Kevin, please report back. Thanks for enjoying the show.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks rich all right, take care.
Speaker 1: All right, If you have a question, give me a call. It's triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. If you have t mobile, go ahead, open up that Tuesday t Mobile Tuesday's app and redeem your free season of MLB TV. A lot of people are wondering if they would still do this because now they're offering the free Apple TV MLS streaming, but yes they are. It's one hundred and forty nine dollars value. You can get it for free if you are a T mobile customer, So open up the t Mobile Tuesday's app. You have until I think April fourth, so you have a couple more days to redeem this. But if you like baseball, you can watch all the games except your local games because those are not included, because that's the way these broadcasters do it, these old rules that they still play by. But I will tell you the MLS streaming because Apple did it. They did get all of the games, whether they're local or not, it's all the same. So we are seeing some progress in the sports world. But believe me, it is still sports folks have it tough. You want to watch your local team, you want to stream, you want to do all this stuff. No, no, no, it's just not it's not there yet. It's it's very much, very fragmented, all right. But if you have Team Mobile, definitely get that. MLB TV. Their Team Mobile Tuesday stuff is pretty good. You get a lot of stuff throughout the year for that one hundred and forty nine dollars value. All right, if you have a phone call, or if you have a question, you can give me a call. Phone number is eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I know a lot of people are on spring break now, are traveling very soon. My guest coming up Alexandra Samuel. She wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal that I just love. It's the dues and don'ts of combining work and play when traveling. And I have a great story to tell you about how this affected me personally. We're going to hear her tips about how to manage work and play on vacation coming up next, and I'm going to tell you about the new warning on certain Amazon products. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out talking technology. I just like this song, so all right, phone lines are open at eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I actually this song mentions Japan, and I actually listened to the song many many times when I was in Japan, just to kind of, you know, identify with it. All right, let's go to am, I saying, is it Elena in West Covina? Elena, Hi Elena, Hi Elena. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great.
Speaker 4: I love your show. I've never missed you on KCLA ever.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you. You are my ideal fan.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm here to call.
Speaker 6: I'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: Well, talk to me. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, I have an app idea that hasn't very I haven't.
Speaker 6: It's one of.
Speaker 4: Those share ideas, you know, app share things, but I haven't seen my twist of it.
Speaker 1: You mean, share like a sharing economy app.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, but I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: Because if you don't have it on your show, it's either not there yet or maybe somebody has it and they haven't produced it. But by the way, your screener and producer, Kim is really not We love Kim.
Speaker 1: I know she doesn't get to be on the show like she used to be. I mean just yet, I mean, we're look, this show is still evolving, so right now she's kind of like nameless, faceless just picking up the calls. But she is still there. Yes, and she loves each and every one of you, and so do I. And we love Kim too. So, okay, you have this idea, and do you want to share the idea with us or do you want to just talk in in abstract here? And what do you want to do with this idea?
Speaker 4: Abstract? And I don't mind emailing it to you when it gets because you know, you have to write a venture capitalist and get a pro prototype video. But I do have you know, I have a disability myself, and at some point I'm going to probably have to use some kind of form of AI just because.
Speaker 1: Well you know, we all will. It's taken over like fifty percent of our jobs. So no matter what. Now is this saying, is this an app related to a disability kind of functionality or.
Speaker 7: What it's It's not?
Speaker 4: Uh not? I mean it it's going to help people with disability. Well okay, like a disability centered app.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but that's that's helpful enough. So that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So and I wrote down I having a braille actually before I have it, and spraying because I keep adding stuff and then I keep deleating.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, of course, like any good it's evolving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, but I you know, want to make sure I can get it in the right hand, find the proper I know I have to get a proto type video. I know it has to take one step at a time, because if I think of it all in one totality, I get one big picture. I get really over oil.
Speaker 1: And we know from watching Shark Tank that good ideas take a long time to develop. Sometimes it could take years and nothing happens overnight. That's that's good, So we have to keep that in mind. It's a very long process no matter what, even if you have a hit on your hands, you know, overnight sensations take a long time. So I think it sounds like this is something that you may want to get some resources that are maybe free or some people to help you along with this. I feel like in this community there are resources that you can get and that may involve some programs that can help guide you along with this process, or maybe some even fun scholarships, you know, grants, all those types of things. And so have you told anyone about this, Like how far along are you?
Speaker 4: I'm just in the writing process. I did find a promising video, like because I'm figuring, I'm just looking up with Timbo the app is on our phones and do a little prototype by the way, somebody.
Speaker 2: Will really understand it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well there's a and by the way, one of my favorite tools right now is Canva. Have you heard of that U c A, n v A, Yeah, Canva dot com, So you can you can create really cool videos on that and you may be able to kind of get your little sizzle real going through there. So that's a good way of going about it. But I would look, you know, it sounds like you're gonna need to get some assistance with this, and that could be through you know, a program in your area or you know, even I mean, obviously there's freelancers that you can hire to kind of code something maybe rudimentary on like Fiver or something like that. But it doesn't sound like you're going to code this yourself, if I'm understanding. So it sounds like you're gonna have to pair up with someone at some point that knows a little bit more about the inner workings and the VC stuff and all that. That may come a little bit later after you have something that's a little bit further along, or you can just go ahead and pitch it and maybe find some local vcs in the LA where you West Covina area. That may you know, that may do small you know projects like this that may become bigger over time. But no matter what, it's it's a very slow process. It's a methodical process, and it's like anything else. You're going to talk to a lot of people, a lot of people are going to say they can help you. Maybe one percent of those people actually will, and a lot of the resources you look at will turn out to be dead ends and things that just don't work. But you just got to keep on it. And just from hearing what you're telling me in the past couple of minutes, I think it sounds like you have something pretty unique and something that can help a unique community as well and maybe community at large. So stick with it, stay on it, and just slowly but surely build up that app and the resources around it, and just just stay on it. Because I'm excited for you, Elena, I really am. Thanks for giving me a call today. Coming up, we're going to talk oh one of my favorite topics, the dues and don'ts of combining work and play when traveling. You're listening to rich on Tech. We'll come right back. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you and a great topic right now for my next guest. Alexandra Samuel is the author of Remote Inc. How to Thrive at Work Wherever you are. Alexandra, Welcome to the show. Nice to join you, Thanks for being here today. And I saw your article in the Wall Street Journal about the does and don'ts of combining work and play when traveling, and it really resonated with me because you know, I've got kids, I've got work, I travel, and of course we're all learning this whole working on vacation kind of thing. But I have one quick story I want to tell before we get into this. Okay, you ready. So I was on spring break. This was many, many years ago. This was probably ten years ago, and you know, I was just starting at my TV job and I was so excited to take my first like nice vacation and I had my mom there and my wife and my kid. I just had a baby, and it was great. But I said, I'm turning off my phone the entire trip because I am going to disconnect. And I literally turned off my phone. I'm a tech person, I cover technology. Okay, long story short. When I turn on my phone on Sunday when I was returning to work. The next day, I got like ten emails for a solid freelance job that was paying a decent amount of money, by the way, and they were like, Okay, I guess we're not hearing from you, so we're going to have to move on. And I called them up. I convinced them to give me the job. I said, I'm sorry, and I explained the whole thing. But I almost lost a job that was worth a lot of money. And by the way, that job continued for like three more years. So my point is, I never turn off my phone anymore, although I do try to limit my use of it. So that was my story. So I've learned kind of like this little balance, but I still don't think I have it right. So that's why I'm talking to you. Yeah, so your first tip is to be clear whether it's a vacation or business trip. So explain that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny, I actually learned that lesson in California because when my husband and I used to run a business together, and when our business was new and and our eldest was very young, just a toddler, we had this brilliant idea that since we had a number of clients and a number of prospective clients in the Bay Area. We would take our family vacation in San Francisco, and so we found a house for a couple of weeks, and we took our kid, and we found, you know, a local babysitter who could look after our kid in there, and we just kind of went in this lucy goosey way with the kind of you know, made a couple of meetings with clients and figured we would kind of hustle when we got there, and you know, the whole time we were there, we just felt like we were being pulled because on the one hand, we wanted to make the most of this opportunity to book all the meetings possible, and on the other hand, you know, we wanted to take our kids to the zoo, we wanted to go to the Money Aquarium, like all the things you want to do when you're on vacation with your little toddler for the first time. And so the whole trip just felt like a constant hug of war. And after that, you know, we got a lot clearer that even though one of the joys of running your own business is the opportunity to you know, include your family, and travel include some work. When you have a family trip, you really want to be clear on what your primary purpose is in any given circumstance, because that gives you a lens of focus in a way of making decisions about how you're going to spend your time.
Speaker 1: Very very smart. Now, this is the one, the tip that I sort of resonated, you know, because of that story I just told, but says, don't pressure yourself to stay offline for a multi week vacation. And my wife and I were talking about this. She said, yeah, when my dad, you know, when we would go on vacation as a kid, my dad and mom would spend one hour each morning on their computers doing work and then that was it. So what is your advice when it comes to sort of that balance when you know you do have a job, you do have emails that are coming in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, and I think your your story is really relatable. And you know, I personally do not find it relaxing to turn my phone off for a week because I'm worried about what I'm missing. Now, if you have the luxury of an assistant, or if you have somebody you can deputize in your absence and who you're comfortable giving full access to your email. Then you know, honestly, the best of those worlds is create a vacation specific secret email address you only give to your assistant, and set up your primary email to go to your assistant so that they look at anything that's coming in and they only show you the stuff that you know, like your your freelance gig, you know, only show you the stuff that's really important. If you don't have an assistant, you can kind of do the same thing with a second mailbox and some mail rules. So for example, when I went on vacation last summer, I set up a rule that said, if I get a speaking invitation, forward that to my vacation inbox, but don't forward anything else. And so you know, you can find a way of triaging so that only the stuff that you would really be sorry to miss hits your inbox. But if you're going to worry about it, it's better to make a half an hour an hour in the morning or in the evening so that you know you're going to look every day. And then the trick is to pick that for a time when you really will be able to close your computer afterwards and either like go off and have a great day or go to sleep. If you know that once you look and you see that that client is upset about something, you're gonna frint all day. That's that's not a recipe for a great vacation.
Speaker 1: Okay. Your next tip, by the way, my guest right now is Alexander Samuel. She is the author are of Remote ink Cata Thrive at work wherever you are. And your next tip is don't read business books on vacation. So get your book, but don't read it on your trip to the tropics.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm always amazed when when you go on a vacation. You know, we were in Hawaii in the summer and you know, somebody's floating in the pool reading. I forget what this has looked, but I'm thinking, how is that relaxing? And mean, I guess everybody has their jam, but you know, you really, if you're taking a vacation to recharge, you actually need to give yourself the space to unwind. And I can even make a business case for that, right, which is part of the value of you know, there's the reason so many of us get our burst inspiration in the shower, right, It's like when you take your attention off of a focused task and you give yourself the space to kind of freewheel a bit, that's when inspiration strikes. And vacation is kind of like that in overdrive. You need to let your brain unwind and reset so that you have the opportunity to, you know, come back to your work with a fresh perspective. And if you don't really turn your work brain off the whole time you're on vacation, you don't get that reboot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree with that. And it's so interesting about how and when creativity sort of or inspiration hits. It is always at the time when you are fully not thinking about coming up with an idea or coming up with a solution to something, and it just pops into your head. That's not we're not new saying that, but it's just so fascinating because now doing a weekly radio show, I do this thing in the beginning of the show where I kind of talk about something. If I want to think about what I want to talk about, it never comes to me, But all of a sudden, in the middle of the night, it's like, oh, it just came to me because my brain is just like it gives it that downtime to sort of process stuff in the background. I guess that's the way I see it.
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny you say that, because I that's always been my experience. And I will say, this is one of the things where the amount of time I'm now spending, you know, working with AI is really starting to shift my thinking process because I now often use chat GBT, you know, which is the sort of you know, really shockingly human like chat interface as a brainstorming partner, and I can riff with that and it will shape things loose in a way that I would not be able to get to on my own without you know, stepping away from the computer.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that idea. I mean, we talked about AI on this show so much now because by the way, you know, it's consumed the entire tech world. Yes, but for a reason. It is so fascinating the stuff that you can throw at it and just the stuff that comes back with you're like wow, like I you know, you we don't even know that there's no instruction book for chat GPT, and yet we're finding so many uses for it, and Google Bard and Microsoft's being AI is really phenomenal. Okay, this one in your article in the Wall Street Journal the see the dos and don'ts of combining work and play when traveling, you say, don't broadcast your travels on social media. Now, this is kind of like now you're getting into like hold on now, because people really might offense to that one well.
Speaker 6: And it's funny because, of course, so many people use social media to kind of show off their travels and share their travels, and I love that. I mean, you know, I often will compile a photo book after a family vacation just off of what we've posted on social media. It's a it's a great way of remembering what you've done. But you know, there's a couple of problems with that. One is that, you know, when I've done a couple of pieces now around social media and be including a pretty big survey, and it's very clear that all those travel photos may make you feel pretty special, but they can make other people feel pretty lousy. And you know, that's just it's just tough, right when you're sitting grinding away at your desk to see your friend on the beach.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest, most people are bragging when they're pressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. But but the other thing about it that I think is tricky when you're combining work and personal time is you know, if you're on a three day or a four day business trip and you've got you know, one day to yourself, maybe you're not even a day, maybe you've got a couple of evenings free. You know, if you you are in a city where you know a lot of people and you've posted about being there, those folks are going to be insulted if you didn't make time for them. And that I think is, you know, it's one of those situations where it's just better to be on a quieter mode and not hurt people's feelings. And you know, unless there's a specific reason that you need to share that you're there, Like maybe you know my case, I'm often in town to give a talk, and part of my responsibilities as a speaker is to publicize the event that I'm at. But unless you have a specific reason that you need to share your whereabouts, then all you're really doing is essentially sending your friends a message saying, you know, hey, I was in town, but I didn't care.
Speaker 5: Enough to call.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, that happens whenever I post being in any city, I get, you know, immediately the pings, Hey you're here, you're here, let's hang out. And of course, you know, sometimes you're on business you don't really have the time, and you know, I get it, but very very tricky. Social media has added a new element of trickiness to our lives. Samuel, we're going to leave it there. Thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 6: Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 1: All right, appreciate it. We're going to put your book on my website. Rich on Tech dot TV if you want to read more about the dos and don'ts of combining work and play when traveling. You're listening to Rich on Tech, give you a call Triple eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. More rich on Tech coming up right after this. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology at Triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Marie is in Hysperia, California. Marie, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Hi, Rich, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Well, I was listening to Tim Conway the other day, and he said that he heard that one should not bad mouth AI, and that it could be more deadly and destruct the nuclear warfare, and that in three seconds they can they could shut down all of your utilities, use your wife's voice or someone's voice to call the police saying that you are threatening with weapons. The cops can come and shoot you. Could you talk about that?
Speaker 1: Wow, he paints a dark picture.
Speaker 8: It may really freaked me out.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think I think that there's a lot of thought about AI and the good and the bad of AI. So we're not there just yet to exactly what he's talking about. But I think that there are a lot of things we need to be concerned about with AI. And I talk a lot about the benefits of AI, but there are many many potential dangers of AI, And to get an answer, I think it's best to ask AI what is the dangers of it? And so I've got access to Google, Bard and chat EPT and let's just talk about some of these dangers associated with AI. Job loss. Yeah, we're going to see jobs replaced by AI. Now in the beginning, it's going to be portions of jobs that are replaced by AI. For now, it's going to be up to fifty percent of job. You know, a fifty percent of someone's job is going to be replaced by AI, and then eventually there will be entire jobs replaced by AI. I'm very confident of that because there is so much that AI can do right now that when it gets better and built into more things, it's going to be incredible. And one of those things right now, when you just think of something as simple as a phone tree, when you call a company, it's horrific. When you're trying to say when they say, you know, tell me a little bit about why you're calling. It never works right, It's horrible. But when AI gets involved, it's going to be a lot better. Ordering at a fast food restaurant, I mean, when it can understand exactly what you're saying and ask to follow up question if you want a medium large cheese on that whatever, that's going to be a potential. So it's going to start with not just basic jobs, but also higher end jobs as well, jobs that are creative. Give me a first draft of this, give me a slideshow presentation. I mean, all that stuff can be taken over by AI. Another dangerous discrimination because AI systems are trained on data that humans create, and humans are discriminatory, and it may not be something that we think about, but it's there. We all bring our own biases to every situation we're in, whether we like that or not, it's there. It's programmed into our brains. And so these systems, because they're trained by humans, will have some of those same biases and discriminations built into them, and they will learn from this. But they are also programmed by us, by humans, and so that will take some time to get through. But these things will have a certain level of discriminate. Now that may not be the types of discrimination that you're thinking about. It could be discrimination of data, it could be of places, of things we just don't know. But they will not be perfect systems. Let's put it that way. Privacy, and this is all according to Google Bard by the way AI systems can collect so much information about people now. Already, marketing companies love all of the data that they collect on us, but imagine when they put AI into the mix, and AI can slice and dice that data in ways that we have never seen possible before. It is going to be really incredible for privacy. It's going to be a problem let's put it that way. So right now, let's say on your phone, if you go into like the deep deep settings, it can show all the places that you frequent. That's very basic. It's not even using AI for that, it's just using kind of data analysis. But when AI can kind of mix different types of data. Oh okay, Well, this is a gym he goes to, and this is the workplace he goes, and this is the fast food place he goes to the most. And this is the restaurant he likes, and this is the home that he visits the most beside his own. Those are all potential privacy concerns, especially when these systems are so simple to plug this information into safety. Now, this is something that Marie you're kind of getting to, is these weapons and not just weapons but systems. So right now, we all have these smart speakers in our homes that are always listening. What if they're programmed to listen for potential conflict, for potential fights in our homes, for potential problems in our homes, for people getting really irritated. What if they're programmed to know how we're feeling. Oh, Rich is really getting on edge here. We better get the police on guard here, or actually, in fact, maybe it's not even police. Maybe it's police robots. Let's send a fleet of police drones to his house just to make sure everything's okay. Or let's send a video camera to us. I mean, these are all things that it sounds unreal, but we don't know. Now when it comes to war, of course, they're already we're using autonomous weapons. Now maybe those weapons are still controlled by someone, but they're still flying by themselves and flying into places that we can't typically fly into. But there's someone controlling it. Imagine when they're not controlled by anyone and they're making their own decisions and they are potentially killing people. I mean, this is just stuff that we don't really want to think about this, but it's going to happen. And even Google says this could lead to a new arms race between countries and make war even more deadly. Now we've seen that wars become in some ways more precise, you know, these targets that we lock onto with these systems, But it can also be the opposite. It can also be much more deadly with systems. I mean, imagine a swarm of tiny insects that someone has programmed to release mass destruction. I mean, again, it sounds unreal, but it could be. How about the loss of control as these systems become more powerful, more powerful and learn from each other. Now they start teaching each other how to do things that we didn't teach them to do. And now they become you know, obviously we've seen this in the movies over and over, these systems turn against us. Hopefully that does not happen, but we don't know because we've never had such systems before. So maybe these systems become unpredictable, they become dangerous. There's so many potentially dangerous aspects of AI that we're not even privy to think about right now. And by the way, all these systems that Google and chat gptr are coming up with, they've built so many guardrails into those systems. Imagine that these systems get into the hands of the wrong people that don't want those guardrails, that want them to do bad things like infect our phones with malware, or take all of our data and figure out our secrets from it, or take our browsing data or our computer data, or get in there and change things on our systems, or try to hack us. There are so many implications of this technology. Again, I talk about the good stuff, and I do want to get an expert on this show to talk about some of the dangers that we are going to face with AI. Because this stuff is just at the beginning. You're listening to Rich on Tech. We've got another hour of the show to talk about all kinds of technology. Give me a call Triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech. I'm Rich Dmuro. More after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Did you know you can listen to this show as a podcast. Be sure to subscribe. Just go to rich on tech dot tv click the podcast icon. Plus, there are show notes and everything I mentioned I've got linked up there. So I've been doing a really good job of keeping notes about what I talk about because I understand that you're not sitting there with the pen and paper, pencil and paper. You know, you're busy, You're on the move. And if I mentioned something I'll put it in the show notes so you can always see that later. Let's go to Deborah in Santa Clarita. Debra, you're on with Rich Him Rich.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to talk with you. I watch you on kg LA every day.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you for doing that, and thanks for calling in. How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm great? How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh fantastic? But what can I help you with?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on a fixed income and I'd like to lower my cable bill, so I'd like to look into services, streaming services that would provide me with the same kind of the same that I'm getting through cable. I don't have any premium channels like Showtime or HBO. I do have Netflix, and that's all. But I'd like to eliminate cable altogether.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you have questions, Well, I guess my first question is what what do you watch?
Speaker 2: I watch regular TV like, I like Channel five. I watch Channel seven every once in a while.
Speaker 1: I won't hold that against.
Speaker 2: And the Learning Channel, and I like National Geographic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so bravo Learning Channel, National Geographic. So I guess the main thing is that if you're looking to, you know, to spend less on cable, which I understand how much you pay.
Speaker 2: Right now, two hundred and fifteen dollars, but that includes internet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a lot. And here's the thing, so you can definitely cut that down to just your Internet and still get a lot of this stuff. The thing is, unless you're willing to pay for some of these services on their own, then it's going to be tricky. So you said Bravo, you said National Geographic and what was the second one.
Speaker 2: Channel?
Speaker 1: Learning channel? Okay, learning? So that's TLC, right, learning channel. Okay, So I didn't I didn't hear a lot of sports, which is a good thing because sports is where it gets really expensive. That's where you're going to pay the premium, and that's where cable comes into play, and that's where a lot of these streaming services that are like a YouTube TV come into play. So for the local stuff, the good news is that KTLA has a free app that will get you that local channel, so that's nice. ABC I believe you can get some of their programming, including their newscasts and things like through their app, so that might work. The other thing is that there are some really inexpensive service that give you some of these channels, and there's a service called Friendly TV, which is have you heard of that one?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't, Okay, So that's a really inexpensive TV service that's like seven dollars a month with that gives you forty channels. And so some of those channels include A and E, Hallmark Channel, History, Lifetime, let's see what else, Weather Channel, FYI. I'm trying to see if some of the channels you mentioned around their Bravo I know is NBC, so that one might be a little tricky to get. Let's see National Geographic. So the other thing you can look into is, I know, Discovery has Discovery Plus, which will give you a whole bunch of channels with a lot of stuff, and that's not too expensive either. That's planned starting at five dollars a month, and that gives you a whole bunch of channels including HGTV, Food Network, TLC is on there. That's one that you mentioned. Let's see National Geographic that is not on there. They may have their own, but the bottom line is that, look, you can get this bill way down I would say, under one hundred dollars a month. So don't forget when you when you sort of take out that bundle. They're going to probably try to charge you more for your internet. Do you know how much you're paying for your internet right now for okay, So, and that's through Spectrum guessing.
Speaker 2: No, that's through ATT verse.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's through Uverse. Oh interesting, So you verse through AT and T is something that they're really not promoting anymore, so you may have to They may try to get you to go to like AT and T Fiber or something like that. But okay, so a couple of things. These are my recommendations. Okay, So first off, I would say what I would do is look into all of your options. Take a fresh look at your options for internet. So where you live in Santa Clarita, there may be a company that does internet that's not AT and T. So I would look at a website called whistle out and you can type in your zip code and it will tell you the internet plans in your area. So you can put in your street address and that will look at things like Verizon, AT and T Spectrum and also companies like T Mobile and Verizon now have wireless internet that's served over five G and so you can look into that. And right now, those providers are giving a really good deal, like t Mobiles fifty bucks a month. Verizon I think is as low as twenty five dollars a month, depending on who you have for your wireless carrier. But I would look into those, and then i'd also look into the cable company in your area that offers Internet and see if they're cheaper, because now that you're getting Internet by itself, they may try to charge you a little bit more. I'd look into getting a streaming stick, so I'd probably recommend either a Roku or an Amazon streaming stick, and then I would start to layer on these services you mentioned. You already have Netflix. Netflix has an ad supported plan, so you may want to downgrade to that plan, which is six ninety nine a month, and that's going to have ads. And if you're really trying to save money, think that you're gonna have to start watching ads on some of these services. Free ads supporting streaming services, it's called they call them fast free ad supported streaming television services. That's the fastest growing streaming services out there right now. Why because everything has gone up in price lately, and so people are very cost conscious right now. So if you can get free streaming TV. Why would you not. And we're used to ads on TV, so it's not that big of a leap to say, you know what, I'll watch these shows with a little bit of ads, and so I would look into those services as well. So Roku has what's called the Roku Channel with a whole bunch of free stuff on there that has ads. Two b TV they have a whole bunch of free stuff. They are owned by Fox, so they have a whole bunch of Fox shows on there as well. Pluto TV this is the one that started at all. They're owned by Paramount. They have a whole bunch of channels that you can watch completely free. One of my favorites is the Johnny Carson Channel. They have a channel that just literally shows Johnny cars and all day long. And they have a whole bunch of channels like that. Monsters, all these things. Some of it's old, some of it's new. Amazon Free V they are owned by Amazon obviously, and they have a whole bunch of stuff on there that's free. Crackle used to be owned by Sony. I'm not sure they are anymore, but they have a whole bunch of free stuff, ad supported Zoomo Xumo. They're owned by Comcasts, so they have a whole bunch of that Comcast programming on there. And then Peacock they have I don't know if they're still offering the AD supported free version, but they have an AD supported plan that you may have to pay a little bit for. But they have a bunch of the NBC shows. Sling just started. THEIRS. Let me see what this is called. Sling is called free stream fr E E S T R E A M. They have a whole bunch of stuff on there for free. And let's see I'm missing any big ones. I think that's about it. There may be some others that I'm missing, but I'd look into that. And i'd also look into so the things that you mentioned, like National Geographic, I would see I would type that in and type in streaming and see what their streaming service is. So national Geographic, it looks like you'd have to get Hulu to get national geographic shows streaming on there. And Hulu has AD supported plans that are inexpensive as well. Bravo, let's see Bravo streaming. I'm not sure what they're going to be on. They are going to be on oh, Peacock, so you'd have to go with Peacock. So anyway, as you can see, it's kind of like a little puzzle. So Deborah, you can do this. You can definitely lower your plan. I think the main thing is getting that streaming stick, getting the Internet at a pretty good cost, and then signing up for just a couple of these services that I think will give you the programming that you want. So good luck and thanks for watching on KTLA. I really appreciate it. And by the way, KTLA this week I should mention this. We are now on YouTube TV and also streaming on Hulu, so this was a big thing if you're in the LA area. A lot of people did not have access to KTLA streaming on one of these paid services like a YouTube TV or a Hulu, and now we are on there. So if you are a subscriber to Hulu or YouTube TV and you're paying for that streaming service, check it out. KTLA is now on there. You may have to go into your settings to find the channel. Onmine, it was hidden for some reason, but it's there, and so if you're paying for that, it's definitely a channel that you want to check out because of course I'm a little biased, but I think it's one of the better offerings. And of course with YouTube TV and even Hulu, they also have the DVR functionality, So I personally would ask you to DVR my segment which airs at five am, seven AM, and nine am, So go ahead and set those DVRs for those segments. But again, if you're a subscriber, that's a pretty good thing, all right. Coming up next, we're going to talk about Amazon's warning on some of it's frequently returned products, so we'll tell you about that. Plus I'm going to tell you the app that I used to trick everyone on my Instagram today to convert a car into something very different. I'll tell you about the AI scenes you can do on that and the AI car, so if you're into cars, it's kind of fun. And then coming up, we're going to talk to the founder of an app that will help you keep track of your flights during this spring break travel season. Plus, your call is a triple eight rich one on one eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out and Uh, producer Aaron doing great on the music today. Thank you really get me going today. Okay, So I'm going to tell you about a little trick I did on my Instagram followers at rich On Tech today. So, uh, I, if you look at my stories, I said that I traded in my EV for something more prac to call and it's like an old school car that I had, or like a classic car. So I did this because of the whole debate about AI and also you know April Fools and all that stuff. But the reality is, I want to tell you about the app I use to create this because I've been playing with it and it's pretty phenomenal. It's called photo Leap, and it's one of these AI apps that just does a lot of stuff. And so they added a couple of new things that are that are really cool that I want to tell you about. So the first is called AI Scenes and this is on iOS and Android, and this lets you upload a photo of your house or a landmark or a street and it's converted into sort of a fun and creative image, like you know, you can do apocalyptic, you can do fantasy, you can do candy, you can do cartoon, so it's just kind of a fun little feature that is just shows off the power of AI. So it's transforming the entire scene into something completely different. So if you have a cool like picture that you've taken of a scene or something like you know that your street or any really anything that's you know, it works best with like scenery like a street. You can convert that into all kinds of stuff. And right now, I just took a picture I took an Arizona of some cactus and it's just it's just amazing. It like changed it into an abandoned area. They've got snowed in, so you can see it transformed into a snowy So I'm in Arizona and it made it look like it's a snowed in area. It's it's just incredible what these AI apps can do. And again in such short time. This stuff has not been around that long and we're seeing these tools or just leapfrogging every couple of weeks into something much much more.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: The feature that I used is called AI Cars and this is only available on the iOS version of the app. It's a very specific situation because you have to have a picture of you in front of a car or just any old car, and it will use AI to change that car into something else. So this uses analyze the photo, it recognizes the car and then enables you to activate a filter to change that car into several presets, which can be luxury. Hold on, I'm changing it right now, so I'm seeing it, says, preparing to pimp your ride. So I'm changing this car that I took a picture of into Oh wow, interesting, I think this looked too luxury because it didn't change it into anything. It's got off road, sport, electric, vintage, classic Americana icons, concept, and rusty, and if you don't like any of those, you can actually just type in to the AI engine. Oh interesting, it's not working on this car, so it doesn't like this car by itself. Apparently you have to be with the car, so if you have a picture of yourself with the car, that works better. So if you want to see what I did with it, you can go to my Instagram at rich on Tech, click my stories and you can see how good this did of converting this car that I took a picture of. I did it first with the vintage car. Then I did kind of a RUSTI ol car. Then I did a futuristic sports car, then I did a classic car, then I did a truck, and I said, final, I'll help you move your couch because we have a truck. For some reason, you are the unofficial couch mover of all of your friends. Hey, can you come over and just just really quick. It's going to be super easy. It's always super easy to move someone's couch anyway. This is the first mobile consumer editing tool to combine stable diffusion, proprietary segmentation engines, which means it's actually separating that car from the rest of the image, and a new control net layer. And this was a new open source tech released by computer scientists at Stanford University. So it's combining three different AI generative art capabilities. And there's much more inside this app. You can do AI avatars, AI pets, AI couples, So there is a lot in this app. Now some of it does cost money because it's not free. There are some features that are free. It also transformed you by the way that Dungeons and Dragons movie that's coming out. They can transform you into a Dungeons and Dragons character like those avatars. We saw a couple months ago. Now they can do those with dungeons and dragons. And I did this for myself, and I don't know much about dungeons and dragons, but it's I have those ears, you know, like those funny looking years, and then I just you know, it just looks like something out of who knows what It's fun though, all right, so let me tell you how much this costs. Some of this stuff is free. Let's see pricing, pricing, pricing, so free features. You can do the dungeons and dragons for free, basic use of the photo and animation features, some of the instant edits like changing the background, replacing the sky in fast filters, and then some of the latest AI tools, the AI scenes, the AI cars. That's all free to a certain limit. And then if you really want to get unlimited access to all this stuff and also no watermarks on the stuff that you make, you're gonna have to pay. It looks like it's six bucks a month or forty dollars a year, so yes, not cheap. But I got to say this photo leap app is probably one of the more impressive apps that I've seen, so at the very least, I would say download it and try it out, at least try some of the free features and see what's happening with it, because it's it's pretty cool. Okay, moving on, let me tell you about Amazon. Starting on some product pages, you're going to see a warning that says frequently returned item. Check the product details and customer reviews to learn more about this item. Basically, Amazon is trying to make people a buy less stuff that they're going to return, and also put these people that are selling this stuff on a warning that says, hey, stop trying to sell people stuff that they're returning because it costs money for all of us. So they've made returns really easy, and Amazon is very generous with its return policy, but still it costs this company money. And when they're doing the volume that Amazon's doing, even if they can affect one percent of people returning stuff, that translates into big, big bucks for them saved. So again, you might see a warning. If you see that warning that says, hey, this has returned a lot, you may want to think twice about buying it. I know it's so easy to buy and return stuff on Amazon, but it does cost a lot of money to ship in all that stuff, all right, Coming up, we are going to talk about an app called Flighty. We're going to have the founder of this app that is probably the most beautiful flight tracking app I've ever seen. I've used it many times, and we'll tell you all about how this came to be coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. I'm extremely excited for this next segment because I love travel, I love flying, and I love apps, So this kind of combines all of my loves into one thing. We're talking about an app called Flighty, and joining me now is Ryan Jones. He is the founder of the app. Ryan, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, thanks for having me on rich All.
Speaker 1: Right, so you have built an app that so many people love. This Flighty app is basically, as you call it, pilot grade flight tracking for everyone. So first off, I just want to know tell me the story of why you came up with this app.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I was actually working on a previous app at the time and had just left Apple, and I was traveling with my ninety year old grandmother. We ended up sitting in the chilis at the Fort Lauderdale Airport for about three hours because a Jetboo plane was stuck in Chicago, which of course has nothing to do with Fort Lauderdale. But the thing that was frustrating me is I was nerdy enough and into kind of flying and apps enough that I knew all that data for me to know this ahead of time was available, and I was just not able to do all that research to see that my plane was stuck there because I was driving. And it was just so frustrating that I had known for years that this could be done and nobody was doing it. And that was the moment that I said, Okay, I'm just going to go for it. Let's build this thing.
Speaker 1: And so how many years ago was that?
Speaker 9: That was New Year's Day, January first, twenty eighteen, So we're about five years old.
Speaker 1: Wow, five years old? Okay. And so this app, it's called Flighty. It's available on iOS. It is a beautiful flight tracking app. There's many ways to track flights, but what this app does really well is not only import your information from your calendar, but it presents more information than you could ever imagine about your flight. So the gate departure, the timing, but also stuff like the arrival forecast, like the performance over the last sixty days where your plane is, so it not only shows you where your plane is, but all the cities that it's been to before yours, the type of plane, so it looks up the tail number and tells you, you know, the age of the plane when it first took its flight, the cruising speed, and then a detailed timeline and all kinds of stuff that Ryan. Do you think most people even realize any of this information is out there about their flight except the time when it's taking off and landing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think so. You know, most people are used to looking at the boards and the airport or just googling it. And you know, the crazy thing is all this is out there. You just have to do the legwork and the hard work of combining it all. And like you said, it all is. You know, we've spent a lot of time making the app super user friendly. We had one hundred pilots that used it and tested the accuracy and the usability for us before we even released it to everybody. So all that stuff is in there, and it's just in one clean view that's one full page. There's no you know, you don't have to navigate in and out and go find things. But the even better thing than that is, you know, we have I think it's up to seventy five different types of push alerts now, But if you don't even open the app, really, as long as you type in you know AA one oh one, so you've got American Airlines one oh one, we'll send you a push alert if there's something you need to know, you don't really have to even open the app.
Speaker 1: So what do you think are some of the best features of the app for the average user.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the one that we hear constantly is people being able to predict delays. So, like you mentioned, uh, where the plane is coming from is a thing that's really present in the UI, and that's actually the number one cause of delays if you look like kind of across the whole world. Number two is weather, and then number three is airspace problems. So airspace meaning like the air traffic control needs to space everybody out around Chicago because there's a storm or something like that. So we have alerts for all three of those things. So we covered, you know, the top three in terms of predicting delays, So you can be let's say, sitting at home thinking I got to go to the airport in two hours and you'll get an alert that hey, your plane's in Chicago and it's not taken off for three hours. So being able to note ahead of time what's going to happen is kind of a huge stress reliever for people, even if you can't change your flight, but for a lot of our kind of pro flyers as we like to call them, they have ways to or they have you know, status on an airline, and they can actually change their flight. But even if you don't, just knowing in advance what's going to happen is a massive stress reliever. Just there's so many unknowns and so many things that can go wrong with travel, but having a heads up and being forewarned is super powerful.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite features of this app is the flight log, and so when you first log into this app, it's getting the information from what your calendar basically, that's correct.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, Some competitive apps will get it from your email, which requires you to give your email username and password, and we don't really like the privacy aspect of that, so we integrate with your calendar and we'll automatically pull in any flight that shows up in your calendar, and we do all that processing on your device. We never send anything to the cloud that's privacy focused, and you don't even have your username or a username with us, so you're just anonymous to us. Everything's super private.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we'll pull in any flight that we find. We can do upwards of about five hundred in a minute, So you connect your calendar and we'll pull in five hundred a thousand, as many flights as you have and populate this flight log you're talking about for you automatically.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so for travel nerds like myself, and I'm not like a real travel nerd. I'm like a basic travel nerd that travels a couple times a year. But I know there's when I traveled a ton for my job. You know, there's people that are really into this stuff. I'm like semi there. But it has this kind of your passport. It's called the Flighty Passport, and it gives you your stats for not only all time, but every year. It's broken down that it can find information. So and by the way, speaking of privacy, my name is even on here so I can type in. It says add your name, So I'm going to add my name to my little flight passport here because it doesn't even know that it's not pulling it from anywhere. So it says that I've done five hundred and thirty one nine and eighty four miles in my lifetime, twenty one point four times around the world, three hundred and twenty seven flights, forty six airports, twelve countries, fifty two days in the air. And you can go through and literally scroll through all of your past flights and when you're taking a flight, it will show your history on that route. So I fly back to Newark a lot because my family's from New Jersey. It will show me how many times I've been there. Now, these are things you don't necessarily need, but it's really cool to have that if you're into flying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and people really really love that feature, you know. As usual, we see a lot of shares towards the end of the year when people are doing kind of that Spotify unwrapped and that end of year, here's what I did for the year, and people will you know, we automatically tally up those miles as you fly for you and then put it in that really cool view that you can share out to social.
Speaker 5: Media and wherever.
Speaker 9: And one thing we know, we didn't anticipate this at all, but we have a lot of business travelers that will use that for year end tax reports to know where they were, what states, and what trips they took.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Okay, the other thing that I used the other day when I flew to I told a story about how I thought I was going to Sedona the whole time, but I ended up going to Phoenix and Scottsdale and anyway, even though I was tracking all my stuff. But I use the live share feature. So a lot of times when you're picking someone up from the airport, or if someone wants to know what flight you're on, like a loved one, you can now use this to share it with them, and even if they don't have the app, it still works in the same beautiful way. Can you talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. You know, we all have people in our lives who are kind of reluctant to download apps or just you know, don't really want another app at the moment, and we you know, we're super focused on the user experience. So what you can do is at any time. It can be up to three hundred and sixty five days in advance, or it can be when you're walking down the jetway. There's a button on each flight that says live Share and you can send just a private URL to anyone, let's say your spouse or your part and when they click that link, they'll see all the basic fline information they need just in the normal Safari or Chrome web browser. They don't have to download the app, they don't have to interview, use their names, there's no ads, there's nothing, so they can get like you said, arrival, any sort of delays. They can see what time you're landing, what time you are actually gonna arrive at the gate, and then if they want, they can download the app, but they don't have to, you know, they can use just that web view right there and constantly see without having to download anything.
Speaker 1: All right. My guest is Ryan Jones, founder and CEO at Flighty, which is an iOS app. Any plans for Android at this point? I know this is a very heavy iOS app, especially with the live activities, which you are like one of the first to take advantage of, so you see your flight tracking right on your home screen. If you have a new iPhone, any plans for Android at all?
Speaker 9: You know, it's probably a year or two out.
Speaker 5: For us.
Speaker 9: We're just a team of three at the moment, we're all self funded, trying to really do this from the ground up in a sustainable way where we can have you know, decades long, really healthy, kind of profitable business. So at the moment, it's not on this.
Speaker 1: Year's calendarly okay, And can you talk about the price of the app, what you get for free versus when you think someone should subscribe for the pro features?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, So you get unlimited flights with live tracking for free. Once you start getting into I want to do some delay predictions, or I want to do the push alerts, or we have a connection assistant so when you land in let's say Sedona or that's a bad example, but you land in Denver and then you're connecting to New York, will tell you what gate you came from and what gate you need to go to. Those kind of pro features are part of our flight e Pro, which is five dollars a month or fifty dollars a year. And you asked a great question, when do people need that? So your first flight, we give you pro for free. You don't have to sign up, you don't have to do a trial or anything. It just everyone gets one for free to see what it's like, and then if you want to upgrade pro later. It's we think tend to do that. If you track ten flights a year, so maybe you fly on five or six and your spouse or kids fly on another five to six, it's probably we tend to see people upgrading around that ten ten flights a year mark.
Speaker 1: All right, Ryan Jones, We're gonna leave it there. Thanks so much for talking about one of the most beautiful flight tracking apps that I've ever seen. Flighty is the name. I've put a link on my website rich on tech dot TV. Ryan. Where are you headed next? Where's your next flight?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: Where am I going next?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: I'm actually going to uh Cooper Tino. So Apple has the you know, Ilus seventeen releases. They just announced the date June fifth, so we've got all our flight schedules for that.
Speaker 1: Nice. I hope to see you up there. I don't know if I have an invite just yet. I know it's a small invited crowd, but we'll see. I was there last year and it was a surprise, so I'm looking forward to it this year. All right, Ryan Jones, thanks so much for joining me today. Thanks rich all right, rich on tech dot TV, if you want a link to try out Flighty before your next flight. It is such a super cool app. All right, I might have time for one more question. Coming back eighty eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to four to one zero one. You are listening to rich On Tack. Welcome, Welcome back to rich on tech rich DeMuro here closing out the hour, Let's go to Virgil in Durango, Colorado. Virgil, you're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 7: Rich. The first thing is that I wanted to advise you of is this past week, the Denver Police Department announced that they were going to be implementing AI to review all of the buddy cam footage of their officers. They accumulate a vast amount of this, but nobody looks at at all, and they only randomly check it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's wild. Yeah, that's I mean. See, there you go. There's an example of a really interesting use of a because humans are not going to scan through all that footage, but for a computer to do it and in record time, and to come up with all, hey, hey, here's ten things that you should take another look at. That's really fascinating. Wow, thanks for that interesting update. Okay, keep going.
Speaker 7: Okay, the second thing was concerning inevitable built in bias in AI. What value systems will I rely upon to make recommendations concerning your conduct in the future. For example, we have the Ten Commandments, is be kind of a basic group for what human conduct should be. But we have people that say, well, the rule is what is for the better the greater gold, and so these are going to be perhaps very different systems evaluation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's a great Yeah.
Speaker 7: Let's take you have a disabled ninety year old grandmother and the question is whether you should provide continuing medical aid for her or encourage her to commit suicide. Essentially, how is SAYI going to answer questions that a loud moral decisions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is Look, and this is not a new situation. We've been you know, we've talked about this with self driving cars. You know, let's say you're in a self driving car. You're going around a corner and you know there's something in the road that's a person and this car has to avoid that, but by avoiding it, it has to run you off the road. I mean, which decision, which human life, does it save and it may not be able to save both or it can't, And so these are decisions that I don't have the answer to, and I'm not sure anyone does. But again, I think that in some cases, when it comes to certain decisions, these systems may be better than what humans can do. And I think, especially when it comes to the medical field, I think AI is going to have a huge boost, but also it's gonna it's gonna evidence some really sad things as well, when people think, you know, maybe they can get through something and the AI says they can't, or if insurance companies start using AI and they say no, there's just no reason why we should do this treatment because it's too cost prohibitive or it's just not going to be effective enough. So I think that we are just just at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all of the implications in our lives that AI will have. And again the fact that the you know, the police department is now using AI to sift through this footage. I know that police departments and cities are already using scanners on the cars that are driving around, like some of the city cars, to search for cars that are stolen or cars that have you know, repo. I mean, there's just so many ways that AI can be used for good and also for not so good. And when it comes to the values of these AI systems right now, this is the other thing that the AI community is debating. It's who gets to say what these values are. So when these when chat GPT comes out, there's no third party review of how they're programming this. They may program it to say never talk about this topic, and nobody is none the wiser because they just can't do anything about that. So until people open source these systems or open source to programming, we just don't know. And again, a lot of these things are being figured out as we go along because this is also new. So Virgil, great topic, great discussion, and really really just again, this entire show could be AI. But let's move on for now. I want to tell you two more things before we have to go here. First, I thought this was kind of cool. Audible is conducting a limited testing, according to Marketing brew of ADS in audio books, So I thought this was kind of neat because if you're a non member, you can get ADS supported access to a limited set of Audible titles and you can hear up to eight ads in a twenty four hour period. Now you may say, rich, I don't want ads in my audio books, But how neat is it that you can listen to these books for free if you don't mind the ads. And for many people, they don't mind listening to these ads. And audiobooks we know are very popular, especially since the pandemic, their popularity has just grown. So I thought that was neat. So there may be a way to listen to audiobooks for free. And then life Hacker had a website called luggage Hero that they recently featured, and I thought was a pretty good idea. If you've ever traveled to a city, you landed, your hotel room's not ready, you've got all this luggage. Luggage Hero is kind of like an Airbnb, but for your luggage, and so you can put your luggage. You search for this site. They're in one hundred and seventy one cities across the world, and you can find a place to store your luggage. It might be a coffee house, it might be a small business. These businesses sign up. Luggage Hero says they are vetted, and you go there, you give them your luggage. They'll give you some sort of ticket and then it's ninety five cents for an hour for a single bag, or eight bucks per day, and you get a guarantee of five hundred dollars insurance on your bag, which is probably not enough for most people, or maybe it is, who knows. There's also an optional insurance that guarantees payback for up to three thousand dollars if there is an issue with your bag being lost or stolen or anything like that. But again, luggage Hero says that they do vet these drop off sites and if you're a business, maybe you want to sign up with this website make some extra cash if you run like a small business and you've got some space to keep people's luggage in there. Again, the website is called Luggage Hero. It started in Copenhagen and in twenty sixteen, so this has been around for a while. But I thought that was kind of neat because when we landed in Rome last summer, we had to leave our bags. We put them at the hotel. But maybe you want to explore the city in a place that's not near the hotel, and so you just want to drop them off right near a cafe or somewhere you want to eat. All right, my name is rich Damiro. I cannot believe it. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. Thanks so much for listening. Next week we're going to talk to someone who is working on bringing my message to iOS. You can find me on social media at rich on tech. The website is richontech dot tv. Check it out to watch my TV segments. My name is Richardmiro. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I'll talk to you real soon.