Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 1: Arm Strong and Gatty and he Armstrong and Yetty. Wow from Portlandia. A handful of angry white chicks screeching Freemaduro, free him now, hands off Venezuela Wow? Or did they mind now with now? Which is a songwriter? Offends me anyway. So that's that's Portlandia. Let's check in in Seattle, where a man who for some reason is chill and to present himself as a woman is leading a different chant and Za fed.
Speaker 3: As well, fed as well, Great President.
Speaker 4: I.
Speaker 2: Don't speak that language.
Speaker 1: Wow, socialism or death, he sees shouting at them.
Speaker 5: I get the I get the argument that, Uh, I'm willing to listen to the argument that we shouldn't be going into other countries and snatching their leaders or whatever. I get that argument. I'm not particularly worried about it in this case.
Speaker 2: I don't. In this case it's wrong, but we'll get up to that. I don't understand the you know, up with Maduro.
Speaker 1: I know it's insane, it's it's absolutely fruit looks and the free press has done some great coverage of this story and and the posty is a whole and how it ends, and are we quote unquote running Venezuela and what it's gonna look like in two years. Those are absolutely great questions, wonderful questions, and only time will tell. But the idea that it was somehow bad to get rid of Maduro and to chant free Maduro, free him now is bad ass crazy. I mean that is that's like hospitalize these people levels of crazy. And then the free press doing a great job of talking to a bunch of Venezuelans. Here's this this gal who her phone began to buzz Saturday with the news. She's Venezuelan living in America. Now her phone began to buzz with news that the US had captured Maduro. She could hardly believe it. She said, this is what all Venezuelans wished for. We were waiting twenty five years for this. And she was astounding to Zora astound dead rather by Zora Mumdani, who has just sworn in.
Speaker 2: She says, he's young.
Speaker 1: I feel like he he knows what the people blah blah blah. Oh, he's crazy. He needs to live in Venezuela for one year. He shouldn't be saying that anymore. And they talk about this split screen reaction in New York City, especially where Venezuelans are taking the streets in enormous numbers, weeping tears of joy, chanting and singing in celebration. Meanwhile, the lefties of America, like we just heard, including the Democratic Socialists of America, held a counter demonstration, released a statement demanding the return of Maduro in the first lady who's a real sweetheart, and.
Speaker 5: Marching in favor of turning Maduro loose. Well, so, I don't we played this clip a lot here, Vince Scully La Dodgers back in the day.
Speaker 4: Socialism failing to work as it always does, this time in Venezuela. You talk about giving everybody something free, and all of a sudden there's no food to eat. And who do you think is the richest person in Venezuela The daughter of Hugo Chavis. Hello anyway, Oh and too, So.
Speaker 5: What year was that? I was way back in the nineties. So then when Hugo Chavez left broke, this guy took over. Yeah, Yeah, Maduro was his appointed successor. Yeah, and then it was an ultra loyal, brutal goon. So then why did he try to have an election which he then stole and stay in office, stayed in office?
Speaker 2: Why in that way that they do. It's very little downside.
Speaker 1: If you happen to win the election, you get to acclaim legitimacy. I'm not a dictator. I got elected. If you lose, hit, you just overturned the results. Yeah, it's too bad, but you gotta do what you got.
Speaker 5: And that ignored by this part ignored by a lot of the critics of this that most countries around the world did not recognize him as the president, the actual president of the country.
Speaker 2: All right, right, including the EU and few others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so if they don't call him president, how can you claim that we took their.
Speaker 2: President or right? Right?
Speaker 1: And as I briefly stated, the idea that we're violating the international law by snatching up ahead of state blah blah blah, an idea that NPR is just treating is a given. It's clearly true, and there's even no reason to even discuss it.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely not true.
Speaker 1: Number one, the guy who was an indicted drug trafficker, and number two, he was not the legitimate had a state, he had had faked an election.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows it.
Speaker 1: It was agreed upon by multiple organizations around the world, including the Biden administration.
Speaker 2: So it just doesn't apply. So what folks who.
Speaker 1: Are arguing that are advocating is the idea that, look, you can commit any crime in the world you want, but if you're strong enough to take over another country, no matter how small, we can't touch you, which is a bizarre way to look at it. But anyway, getting back to the left and their reactions. So this gal, this Venezuelan gal who's crying tears of joy, was asked about the Democratic Socialists, which Mumdannie has been part of four years and years. She says, I guess it's not surprising because they're socialists. But then you've got New York State Senator Jessica Ramos, who's married to Venezuelan and represents a district that has a lot of Venezuelan folks. She said she was disappointed to see her party take a one sided stance. I've seen those signs about socialism beating fascism, but how about neither extreme being a good thing? How about being against totalitarian regimes as a whole. If you're against tashtag no kings, you should be against kings everywhere. And Ramos, who ran against Mamdani in the Democratic mayoral primary, told me the situation was not at all good in Venezuela.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But she said, first, anyone who's worked with asylum seekers here in New York City over the past few years and has heard their stories about having to send their children to schools where there's no running water or electricity, or about how they can't practice their career or go to college, it's impossible not to understand why the immediate reaction for so many Venezuelans is joyful. They haven't felt a joy like this in a long time before this weekend.
Speaker 2: Then they go through the list of Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: And AOC and others who who are saying that this is terrible, terrible. Here's a thirty three year old Uber Eats delivery driver from Venezuela who argued that Mondami was wrong to oppose the actions of President Trump. As a patriot of Venezuela. Agree with everything Trump is doing. It's perfect, truly perfect, and final final word, New Yorker venezuelan American who's lived here for twenty seven years. She said the New York mayor's social media post merely confirmed what she already suspected, that is posh up bringing on the Upper West Side rendered him out of touch. And I quote, it's hard to tell a rich kid that poverty exists. He doesn't seem to understand that there are people suffering in this world and they're suffering because of socialism. Wow, that's great stuff. I haven't heard. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say on that, you know, the knee jerk while Trump did it, got to be against it thing. I was trying to find a piece. Mark Calprin wrote, I think for New Year's Day of the as long as we're stuck in me and both sides do this. It isn't just lefties, but as long as we're stuck in the if the other side does it, I'm against it. Regardless mode that we've been in for quite a few years. We're just never gonna get anywhere.
Speaker 2: We just never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know it's Charles Laane wrote a fabulous piece I came across about this topic, and he's talking about George orwell. One of the very very early books was about the miners in Britain, not to young people, people who mine, and how as an intellectual socialist he went to see their lives, and he writes, in a way, it is even humiliating to watch coal miners working. It raises in you a momentary doubt about your own status as an intellectual and a superior person generally, for it is brought home to you, at least while you were watching, that it is only because of miners sweating their guts out that superior persons in quotes, can remain superior. And when he got his actual encounters with the working class, as opposed to hearing about them in a classroom taught by a professor maybe at Columbia, he realized, oh my god, the reality is so different from the classroom. And that's why he went on a lifelong campaign of saying, hey, here's the problems with socialism.
Speaker 5: The next days, weeks, months, certainly matter though, because it could it could go so south so fast that uh, it's hard to feel like it was a win, couldn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, and all these joyful people of Venezuelan extraction might end up being heartbroken because for now the administration's embraced the second in command, who's a dedicated totalitarian encounter right.
Speaker 5: I like this conversation that Marco Rubio got into with I think mart Brennan on Facination about is this regime change or not? And I think it's a good question. The no, it's not regime change. It's uh because regime change as a nasty hangover from when we've done it a couple of times and it hasn't worked out that well. But she made the point, well, if it's not regime change, I mean, so it's the same regime, but we're expecting them to act completely differently.
Speaker 2: That's the hope, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well they're going to try to use their leverage and see what happens.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: I'm skeptical, but keeping in an open mind. Hey, finally this, I haven't heard this, but I hear it's pretty amusing. Here's a man on the street montage in New York City.
Speaker 2: It is priceless. Would you try to Trump for Maduro? Yeah?
Speaker 4: One of there.
Speaker 3: I mean I think Trump.
Speaker 5: I think Maduro was democratically elected.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, sure, more than likely.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, if there's a Nicholas Maduro out here who's going to bring us to revolution, will support that movement.
Speaker 6: I would rather have a bus driver in charge than than a billionaire.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's put it that way. Nicholas Magerald could come and be our president.
Speaker 4: Oh any day, anyway, Look, you say, all the check marks are there.
Speaker 2: He's not white. Okay, he's a minority.
Speaker 1: Okay, he looks a little too much like Saddam. We're saying, though, those people are unspeakably stupid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but how many so, Mom, Donnie? The other night it is inauguration this.
Speaker 6: We will replace the frigidity of rugged individualism with the warmth of collectivism.
Speaker 5: How many people out there actually cheer that believe that? I don't have a sense of it.
Speaker 1: It is the most persistent, idiotic scam in the history of mankind. It makes snake oil look unpromising. Is a scam like chemotherapy.
Speaker 2: Right exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's It's worth studying an under standing why it is so alluring to people. Because it has been disproved so thoroughly and so many times, and so brutally, you'd think nobody with two brain cells to rub together could possibly embrace socialism, and yet they by the billions yearn for it and they deserve it good and hard. Let's just divide up the country in two and you can have your socialism. You knock yourselves out over here, we'll be doing the liberty thing.
Speaker 5: And so the million people on the streets with tears in their eyes, so happy in Venezuela, they're just wrong. They just don't know that it's a good system those that's just.
Speaker 1: A big loud fact that they ignore, because that's one of the keys to being a socialist is you must ignore reality.
Speaker 2: Weird, any thoughts, they're misguided. They're the brown face and white supremacy.
Speaker 5: Jack, we got to play that mom Donny clip and like really put it in context a little bit later and discuss it, because it is it is. I don't think it's a minor thing that he said that. Oh no, we got a lot more.
Speaker 2: On the waist to hear anyways, Oh and too.
Speaker 5: Exactly, yo yo yo, We're back live. That's it, We're actually back. This is us back. What if you're listening to the show and you heard a lot of reruns for the last two weeks, Now this is live, this is January fifthy or twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: God bless it?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna come up with a slogan for twenty twenty six? Do you think I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Have people suggest ideas what rhymes with six?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: We've been doing this for We've been doing this for so long. I know that we could probably just go back to sixteen row six or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, sixteen wouldn't work exactly, that's true. How about warring for clicks in twenty six?
Speaker 2: Except we don't, No, we don't.
Speaker 5: I got so many notes of news over the last two weeks that just deserve a mention. For instance, did you see uh you? You almost certainly didn't. Giorgio Maloney. She's the leader of Italy. I like the cut of her gym. I like her deal anyway. She gave a big speech to a giant rally, speaking to Third world migrants there. If you feel offended by a crucifix or a Nativity scene, then this is not the place where you should live. We will live, go girl, We will defend God and homeland in the family. There'd been some Nativity scenes attacked in Rome, and that's what she was speaking to.
Speaker 1: This is the preference cascade we talked about a fair amount last year where you're told over and over again nobody thinks what you think, you're wrong to think.
Speaker 2: It's stopped thinking it. And then when.
Speaker 1: Everybody fine and all along, you've been thinking this is crazy letting all these people in who hate our way of life, and then suddenly, when it becomes safe to say it out loud, you realize, oh, everybody's been thinking about it, certainly everybody who has a conscience and a brain.
Speaker 5: I'm glad she said it. But the cake is in the oven and being baked on that whole thing in Europe, so we'll see how that turns out. Mean, the people are there and they have their beliefs. Elon Musk said he's going all in funding Republicans to help President Trump take back full control of the House or hold on.
Speaker 2: To full control in the November midterms.
Speaker 5: He's gone all in on a couple of elections where he didn't get his way even though he spent a lot of money, but funding a whole bunch of House members Republican across the country, I don't know. I don't know if money will be the difference maker or not. I guess no, he did have dinner with Donald and Malania at mar A Lago the other night, So the whole romance is over. They're feuding or whatever stupid soap opera that people like to talk about. He was sitting there at the dinner table and they were both laughing and chuckling.
Speaker 2: And seeing the dinner table events.
Speaker 5: Right, So, I don't know if you think that's a big deal or not. California's open carry ban was blown up by a major Second Amendment ruling that happened while we were on vacation, and it was the Ninth Circuit Court, which generally we hate the thing as they decide, said that California's restriction on open carrying firearms fails the Supreme Court's modern Second Amendment test.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a couple of huge court victories over the break that were kept quiet by most of the media.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, the National Review had a fairly amusing roundup of some of the ridiculous wild blue state laws of twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six, including in cal Unicornia continuing to be the sanctuary state for children who are momentarily confused about their sex and the twenty twenty six sees the California legislature enacting the banning banning books no matter how sexually explicit or age inappropriate they are. If you can argue, well, it's gay sex or transsex, you can't take it out of your kids' school library. It's protected.
Speaker 2: Wow, porn for kids. Yay porn for kid Wow Okay. On the way, if you miss a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Get You on demand Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: We have to continue to elect more socialists, and we have to ensure that we are unapologetic about our socialism. There are also other issues that we firmly believe in, whether it's BDS right or whether it's the end goal of season the means.
Speaker 5: Of production, seizing the means of production from Zorn Mom Donnie bad.
Speaker 2: Boy before he got elected. Now, so the.
Speaker 5: Question at the time was, and this is in the context of a ridiculously high percentage of young people who now say they favor socialism over the free market. I should have looked up those numbers, but it's been growing for years and it's disturbing. Did he use the term seizing the means of production by accident or did he know how he will please poking people like us. Well, then the same thing the other night when he got sworn in New York. In New York as the mayor, everybody knowing exactly what he was, and enough people choose him on purpose, and he said this, we.
Speaker 6: Will replace the frigidity of rugged individualism with the warmth of collectivism.
Speaker 5: If you're a cold warrior at all, the warmth of the term collectivism is just dude, you're you're you're trolling me, right, You're just trying to get my head to pop off by using the term collectivism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's amazing, just very quickly, I for one, and I'm asking you do you find liberty frigid? I find it wonderful and innervating and exciting and fun. The last thing I find it is somehow oppressive?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Well, it's just an open plea for the vote of sheep.
Speaker 5: So if you're not super into the history of this sort of stuff, I realize how the word collectivism might not land with you.
Speaker 2: But man, if you read he Shares Together.
Speaker 5: But if you follow this sort of stuff, I mean that is the term that was used by Lenin and Stalin and Mao and Castro and all of these creeps who led to the murder of millions and millions and millions of people. And it might be the most deadly word in world history, right, collectivism, And he chose that for his inaugural speech.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So the question was, and I was listening to Jonah Goldberg on the Dispatch talk about this, did he does he run in circles where that word doesn't have that meaning for the rest of us, And so because he's surrounded by his dad and his other socialist friends that they don't know how it triggers the rest of us. Or was he just throwing that word out there for the knowing that it, you know, makes people like us crazy, but for the people that voted for him, they love that word. Or does he not know, well, it's ten to thirty five year olds who are not particularly astute, who are his target audience, and he couldn't give half a crap how it triggers us, as you put it. Or the fact that anybody who has any background knowledge about the history of socialism, communism, collectivism recoils because the history of it is just horrifically it's unspeakably obscene because the youngsters, they don't recoil, they don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was funny.
Speaker 1: I heard him hesitate before he used the term seizing the means of production, because I think in his like ivy league educated head, he knew, oh, this is a little on the nose. I mean, this is straight out of the textbooks. But he went ahead and used the phrase anyway because he knew he was within, you know, a friendly crowd.
Speaker 5: Now, you know worth pointing out he doesn't have the ability as a mayor of New York to seize the means of production or to collectivize hardly anything. But the fact that he is in favor of again maybe the most deadly word in all of language going back over the last century or so. The fact that he's in favor of it is just wild. It'd be like if you had a right winger say, we need to deal with these immigrants through a holocaust of removal or something final solution.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. Yeah, it's amazing. It is this stunning.
Speaker 6: We will replace the frigidity of rugged individualism with the warmth of collectivism.
Speaker 2: Straight off a mouth. Poster from nineteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Eight Wow, walk around Cuba, walk around the Soviet Union. Talk to me about the warmth of collectivism. That's just bizarre. I mean, it's obscene. Now he does have some power within.
Speaker 2: New York City.
Speaker 1: This is se A Weaver, his New York City tenant director is going to be in charge of all rentals.
Speaker 2: Listen to her, would you? It's eighteen Michael.
Speaker 7: I think the reality is is that for centuries we've really treated property as an individualized good and not a collective good. And we are going to trend. Additioning to treating it as a collective good and towards a model of shared equity will require that we think about it differently, and it will mean that families, especially white families, but some pot families who are homeowners as well, are going to have a different relationship to property than the one that we currently have.
Speaker 1: Wait now, sweetheart, a lot of white homeowners well, and some pocs are going to have a different relationship with their property than they have right now. I don't think I need to explain to you, folks what that means. We are going to confiscate your property and the state will control it. The state, not the state of New York. But the state capitalists. Yeah, wow, to a bit more s extinct, she said. A couple of years ago, she tweeted this private property, including in kind of especially homeownership is a weapon of white supremacy masquerading as wealth building public policy.
Speaker 2: Home ownership is white supremacy. That's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people who own homes need to have a different relationship with their property.
Speaker 5: Well, you can't accuse them of like trying to fool us by pretending to be something else, because that ain't what they're doing. Yeah, points for honesty. Mamnami said back in June, I don't think we should have billionaires. Is there a point to being a billionaire besides for power? Wait, this is somewhat crazies, but.
Speaker 1: It's for children and the childlike Only a child or an ignoramus could fall for these arguments. Unfortunately, we have a lot of childlike adults and more ignoramuses than certainly we ought to start exporting them. The United States has a net surplus of ignoramuses. Unfortunately, so does much of the rest of the world, so they're not buying you know, you're right.
Speaker 5: I focused on the second half of the phrase, where he talks about the collectivism, the warmth of collectivism, but the frigidity of rugged individualism.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's bad to be a rugged individual Yes, exactly. It's horror, horri doubloo. Just the idea of being able to do what I want, how I want. It's scary.
Speaker 5: I want the warmth of collectivism, which is worth so well your self sufficient.
Speaker 2: That's sick.
Speaker 5: Wow, it's urging that the mayor of probably the most important city on earth, whether he has the power to do all these things or.
Speaker 2: Not, believes that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and people voted for him like crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bernie goes to show you the incredible allure of that particular fraud.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. It is. It is the shapel blonde who says I'm a little drunk of.
Speaker 1: Political philosophies is like, oh my God, give me some of that.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter how harri of it. It doesn't matter how.
Speaker 1: Many people she murders in cold blood, like openly on the streets. The next generation comes along and says, ooh, give me a place.
Speaker 2: Seriously, what do you think the goal was?
Speaker 5: As a I don't know if he wrote his own speech or his speech writers, but he signed off on it. What's the goal of poking everybody who doesn't agree with that the way he did? I mean, that is just, oh, don't I don't think he even sees.
Speaker 2: It that way.
Speaker 1: No, he was selling what he believes to people who were his.
Speaker 2: Customers.
Speaker 5: Do you think he realizes the extent that for the normal part of the country.
Speaker 2: That that is just horrific?
Speaker 5: Or is he because he's it's hard to imagine the circles he's been in his whole life, right right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he realizes it, but I do know that he doesn't care. Yeah, I mean, so hardcore socialists have never cared what the burgeois he thinks. Yeah, I'm sure you're right, their whole philosophy. I do think that he has spent his whole life around, you know, intellectuals and socialists, and that that crowd so much that he doesn't realize what that sounds like to the rest of us. Right Hey, getting back, Yeah, I have time for this, and I'm so glad. I'm reminded of a couple of things. Number One, Matt Tayeebe saying we're in the upper class twits promoting revolution point in our country, and then we.
Speaker 2: Have Type who tweeted out that.
Speaker 5: Quote about the rigid fragility of the rigidness of it.
Speaker 2: He just said, do you have that for you? I don't.
Speaker 5: Oh, Matt Type just tweeted that quote out about the warmth of collectivism and the rigidity of individual liberty or whatever, and said, what the f?
Speaker 6: He had the word, we will replace the frigidity of rugged individualism the warmth of collectivism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt t betweeted on what the f.
Speaker 1: You can't tell you what time it is in less than four thousand words? Put to that plainly, and a wordsmith is skilled as mad is anyway, So I was reminded of that. And also, excuse me, the piece that Charles Lane wrote about mostly about Charles or I'm sorry about George Orwell, about when Orwell, who is a socialist, actually got exposed to the working class, specifically minors. He wrote a book called The Road to Wigan Pier. I think that's how you pronounce it, but anyway about read it essentially, Yeah, it's about him coming up against the reality of the working class and socialism and that sort of thing. And Orwell wrote this, and I think it's absolutely perfect. There are a couple of things you're going to want to substitute here as examples. But Orwell writes, we've reached a stage where the very word socialism calls up. On the one hand, a picture of aeroplanes, tractors, and huge, glittering factories of glass and concrete. On the other hand, a picture of vegetarians with wilting beards, of Bolshevik commissars, half gangster, half Gramophone, of earnest ladies and sandals, shockheaded Marxists chewing polysyllables, escaped Quakers, birth control fanatics, and labor Party backstairs crawlers. Socialism, at least on this island, does not smell any longer of revolution in the overthrow of tyrants. It smells of crankishness, machine worship, and the stupid cult of Russia. Unless you can remove that smell, and very rapidly fascism may win. And Charles Lane points out, substitute electric cars for airplanes, and trans kids for birth control, and free Palestine for the stupid cult of Russia. And Orwell could be writing about academics in the Bay area of Mamdani's fan base in Brooklyn and Manhattan substitute Maga for fascism, and the parallels are even clearer.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's before we went on vacation.
Speaker 5: I talked about this Christmas present I bought myself. I bought myself an original, authentic poster from China in the late fifties about the Great Leap forward and how great it was.
Speaker 2: Going to be.
Speaker 5: And that killed depends on who you ask, fifteen to forty million people by collectivizing farming and all kinds of different things. And at gunpoint, and you mentioned the idea that I can have that on my wall as an idea.
Speaker 2: I'm mocking that. I'm not admiring that.
Speaker 5: I'm just I mean, as an idea of this is what governments can do, come up with these kind of bad ideas and killed millions.
Speaker 2: But you can't do that with Nazi stuff.
Speaker 5: You can't do that Nazi And that's probably a good thing that we're just so turned off by the idea of Nazi. You shouldn't talk about you shouldn't, you know, give that any air whatsoever. What's the idea that.
Speaker 1: You can give air to communism? Well, right, I think you know the whole Nazi thing. You're right, maybe it is a good idea. But the contrast is the amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I mean. The Nazi poster up.
Speaker 1: You could say, oh no, no, I'm a collector of I study propaganda. I've always said I'm fascinated by it. And this is propaganda from an evil regime. This is what it looks like. And people will still think I'm bad. He's an f N closet Nazi.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, my point is that people are knee jerk.
Speaker 5: You cannot even go half a step toward Nazism, but people let you go all the way toward communism. They just advocated openly, never mind having the post that killed more people used the same phrases, run for office on it and nobody blinks an eye.
Speaker 2: Now wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wild is one name for moronic, idiotic, ignorant and frightening and frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be keeping our eye on that. Among other things.
Speaker 5: I've got something about New Year's I'll bet you haven't heard. I guess it's all the rage with the young people. Did you crawl under a table on New Year's Eve? You didn't, You should have the only way you can make sure you have a good year. Among other things on the way, stay tuned Ilia Malinan might be a household name here. In just a couple of weeks, Ilia Mallinan, you'll know him. Everyone will know him. He is one of our star skaters that will be at the Winter Olympics, which starts in just a few weeks in Italy. He is the only person. He's a high school kid. He's the only person to ever land a quad in.
Speaker 1: Competition, and I've landed a couple in practice, but there are no cameras present, so I have.
Speaker 2: To take my word. You just have to believe the many people who are wowed by your.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, no, I'm certain I left up in the air world around a bunch of times, and I was facing the same way, so I think it was four, yeah, four, at least.
Speaker 5: Four, Katie, are you familiar with the trend that is the sneak arena? That is ballerina shoes which have been popular with women various times, coming and going, and now they're kind of turned into a sneaker. So it's a combination ballerinas, slipper and sneaker, the sneak arena.
Speaker 2: I guess it's I guess it's very hot. I don't know that I don't know that. I know it to be called that, but yeah, I've seen them.
Speaker 5: Okay, they're viral, so you get those on your feet as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Also came across this is your scalp the new IT body part. Consumers are increasingly fixating on their scalps, turning to head spas, pricey treatments and products to combat thin hair and irritation.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, they're not. No, they're not just leaving it there. No, they're not.
Speaker 1: And the idea that it's new that people are I have thinning hair.
Speaker 2: Why I'm concerned this is new in twenty twenty. Shut the fot.
Speaker 1: You aren't going to head spas. I'm not falling through the fake trends.
Speaker 2: I haven't noticed those popping up. The scalp spas.
Speaker 5: There you go, see, yeah, where you go, and they just focus on your scalp.
Speaker 2: The scalp is the new IT body part.
Speaker 5: Ah right, I'm all skinny as a baby, Show me your scalp. And then there was some announcement some country thinks they've actually cracked the coat on growing hair. So I might have, as my brother said, I'm gonna have bangs in a mullet by the.
Speaker 2: End of the year, May one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: So we're at New Year's Eve and we're sitting around talking about things. It's amazing to me how some people embrace the New Year's resolution thing, and then if you don't embrace it, you're hostile toward it. There's no in between. Apparently, it's like you got to be a hostile at the idea that you could improve yourself or I don't know. I don't know what makes people mad about it, but if you ask somebody, they either have one or they're angry at the topic.
Speaker 1: I think it's the ubiquity of it. It's the obligatory feel of the whole thing. Man, I don't know, I will reject. I love the idea of a reset and evaluation. It's like it's like running a business. You take your log at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: How did this go? How did that go? What do we need to do more of and less of? Anyway, one of the young people at our gathering said, oh, did anybody bring any grapes? And I said, why would anybody bring me to grapes? Grapes under the table, And they're all like duh, I guess that's a thing. Eating twelve grapes under a table at midnight is how you ensure yourself you're going to have a good year.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: I'd heard about eating the grapes in the context of Venezuelan's but not in the table did In fact.
Speaker 5: It's a New Year's Eve thing in my one niece, who's twenty three or something like that. I don't know how she's out of college starting in real life. She said, it doesn't work. I did it last year and I had a bad year. Well that's just science exactly, twelve grapes under the table, So maybe if you didn't catch it this year, maybe do it next year.
Speaker 2: I enjoy grapes. It couldn't hurt.
Speaker 5: I like this picture of a glom Marco Rubio where it says Rubio realizing he's going to be president of Venezuela, governor of Cuba, and shaw of Iran.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's good.
Speaker 5: We could talk about all of those things an hour four. What there's an hour four there is? If you don't get it or Miso segment, you can always get our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the.
Speaker 1: Relationship with Venezuela going to look like going forward. That is the question nobody has the answer to, and we mean nobody. Armstrong and Getty