Speaker 1: Wind down with Jana Kramer and I'm Heeartradio podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, tell us the big reveal Christmas present at the Breastthouse.
Speaker 3: It was the best Christmas of all time. Preston calls it no more lonely Christmases. We got a puppy, Yeah no. And I was really reluctant. You know, Tyke was eighteen and a half. George lived to be twelve. But letting go Tyke still makes me emotional to even talk about. And so I was afraid I could never love another man. You can, and I do. And he's really sweet and he's fluffy and it's great. And we got him a couple of weeks ago, and it was really tricky because we picked him up and then we took him straight to school. So he went to Jana's dog trainer. Because one thing I know is that I am a little bit at capacity, and so part of my hesitation was just like adding another heartbeat into the mix and another responsibility. And I know Love is terrified of dogs, as you both know, and so like she had opened up her heart to a certain kind of dog. She was like, I can do this kind of dog or that kind of dog. I think because her experiences have been good with those kinds of dogs, and so we're just building trust, one tiny little popprint at a time in our house. And it's sweet. And of course Lyon has no healthy fear of dogs. So we're at a dog park and she, you know, goes up to like a foaming at the mouth German shepherd and she's like, ah, dogdy, you know, and I'm like, okay, okay. So we're just trying to find a sweet little balance. And it's a boy, which is great, so that legend can had a baby.
Speaker 1: It's a boy and a baby.
Speaker 3: It's a boy, Legend gets another dude in the house. We're just trying to balance. They been asking, they had been a little bit, but I really just firmly said, it just can't happen right now. I said maybe in the spring. It's too cool to potty train. I can't deal with a puppy. I'm just very much we've been putting them off so and I was a little nervous would they be sad if they didn't get to go pick it out and all the things. But ultimately Preston was like, we have to do some due diligence here. This This is a really it's my first dog with Preston too, so that's kind of cool, like it was our first puppy experience as a couple.
Speaker 4: Surprising is so fun. We did that with our old dog who since passed, and we surprised them and they just ough.
Speaker 1: It's so fun to do that.
Speaker 3: Way to share the video with you, guys, it's really special. I love that.
Speaker 2: Do we have any New Year's resolutions? And what are we doing for New Year's guys?
Speaker 3: Oh? Friends, I don't like goals.
Speaker 1: I don't really have resolutions either.
Speaker 3: I don't I haven't had a minute to sit with myself to know what the resolution is on. Two little words keep popping in my brain often, and that is more time, and so I'm just prayerful over what that means and if that just I think I have ideas of just like maybe more time for myself, maybe more time with my family, because Preston's been like really gone a lot, and when he's home, he's still gone. So yeah, more time is something I'm marinating on and being prayerful about, but I don't know what it is yet.
Speaker 4: Mine last year was joy, which I still kind of want to take that in again to this year. But I think it's going to be positivity.
Speaker 3: Oh good.
Speaker 4: Not that I'm a super negative person necessarily, and explained, I just really want to try and stay in the positive at all times, because I can be super positive, but then when I get negative, I feel like I go to negative.
Speaker 2: Or do I think that you're more negative?
Speaker 1: It just depends.
Speaker 4: Like if I'm mad at Nick or if I'm frustrated with anything, sometimes I can just like dwell on it for a minute and just be negative. I just don't like and I don't like that when other people are negative, you know what I mean, Like if Nick's being negative about something, I'm why are you meaning so negative? And then I'll catch myself to doing it too. So I just want to stay in the positive because you can find positives in all situations. It's just hard to do at times, and I would like to stay in the positive. I did find a lot more joy this year, I feel like and seeing the joy in those situations, but just stay in the positive.
Speaker 3: My question is did you grow up with that modeled for you positive the negatiative?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did too, and I think that's why it's a hard rewire for it. It is like they're always finding the one thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And I mean I see this in random people.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm just kind of like when you see it on the outside, I'm like, why are we being so negative? Like right, move on, you know, right? And so I'm like, oh, that's what it looks like to other people when you're like dwelling and being kindive, you know. So I'm just positive is my word for the new year? Yeah, how about you?
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I did this thing, and I'm really proud of myself that I actually have done it throughout the whole entire year. So I started, I'll say, so it's it's the year, right, and January. Every single month I did like a diary of my year, like the highest close of it. So January, February, March, abley, June, July.
Speaker 3: So I'm so good at that.
Speaker 2: So November or whatever and now December and so but I I really it was one of those things where it's been such a good reflective moment to kind of look back and see, Okay, what where maybe relationally I need some we might need some help, or where you know, where this area might be lacking or what's really great and like, hey, what really worked for us? So like I look back in like February, it's like February was a stressful month, wanting a break and feeling like I was doing this alone where it was sick with COVID group strap and and so I am saying, like highlights was the amazing Valentine's there that Alan made for me, incorporate the kids. I really needed a break of a get getaway, like kind of knowing where I'm at. So like for next February, I'm like, I know now that I need something. I need a trip during that month or something that brings me a little bit alike, because it's very gloomy and dark and you know here in Nashville. So and then just kind of looking back and looking back at you know how March was. You know, we went to the Bahamas, but then the next day I'm flying to film movie and like the how things can so quickly turn to from you know, from a minute, And so I think it's it's been really nice to Now I'll look back and go through it and go, Okay, these were some really high high is these where some this was a low and this is what I can take in to do better next year, or to also go okay in the moments where I feel like I'm never going to work again or this is not happening, It's like, no, can't you see back in March when this happened very last minute that it's you're okay. And so to take a pause and to take a breath and to not get to and I think that's my thing is to yeah, to look back and go enjoy today because tomorrow is going to probably change drastically.
Speaker 4: I think it's also really like you said, like with the February thing, like recognizing like, okay, come February, I'm usually pretty antsy and excloom me and I need to get out and like planning ahead for that. So it's not like we're not letting ourselves get to that point, yes, because then we have something to look forward to, you know. I mean, I think that's really important. That's smart to do.
Speaker 2: I'ry no, you should try it. So, yeah, it's like the year, so what you do it. So what I do is every once it becomes a new month, so it'll be you know, at the end of January, I'll say the highs and lows of the month, and then if you want to put a goal or if you want to put you know what you want to work on or yeah, it just kind of holds each month accountable as opposed to being like joy for the year, which is great, you know what I mean, Like it's so good, but it's such a hard thing to do when we're not looking at it at least by month.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it would be so much easier because I'm listening to what you're saying and I'm like, okay. For me, I'm like, okay, So instead of getting negative about what's going on here, how do I see the positive in that? You know, and getting more specific and really digging in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. And it's almost like too for you. It could be instead of maybe writing the highs and lows, it could just be like, what were you really grateful for that month? Right? So then it's really stamping on highlighting joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And me and Alan we've been doing this thing where we've got every week we have this journal where because again I think in marriage, it's so easy to just be like you're not doing this dah, or just like tensions, especially around holiday seasons and travel and a lot of that, so what we've been doing is and sometimes we don't know what the other person is thinking, so and it's been really really good for us. So we both have a journal and once a week we'll go I'll grab his and he'll grab mine whenever. I don't know when he does it, but we just like he's been mostly doing on Mondays and I'll write in his like just be like, hey, thank you and just like just a grateful list of like the things that I'm really grateful for with him, or just writing him a little note, and it's just really nice to go, oh, Okay, I didn't It's just sweet to remember that he was so appreciative of everything that I did and that felt really nice. And and then I can sit down too, and instead of maybe calling out the negative stuff, I can be like, hey, like you rocked it with this, and I really appreciate you being like so patient and mind and yeah, yeah, it's easy to really nice.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: So that's something that we also, like, I've been able to look back on and it's been nice, and it also centers me to a place of gratitude for him. Yes, And I think sometimes as women we can not go to gratitude first, and we might be more go to like frustration and so.
Speaker 4: We're focusing on the things they're not doing versus the things they are doing.
Speaker 1: How lot of the time and helpful starting with that positivity, guys.
Speaker 3: So for what it's worth, I always take all of January to collect my resolution. So if you are like me and haven't resoluted, that's totally fine. I give myself the month of January to put Christmas dicreations away, take a deep breath, let the winter silence telp me determine where we're headed.
Speaker 2: But I will just say though, if you guys did write something like I bet you the men will show up Like men show up more when they're rewarded by behind this and when they feel like we I ap appreciate that because most men want that, like you were great and you're amazing and you're doing awesome and you're being so handsome and they need that, like but they really do because they want to like make us proud. Yes, for sure, you know, so the Burton Ernie story. Maybe back when you don't have to get a book, but put a little sticky note on the side and just be like, I'm really grateful for you and list a few things. Yeah, and then they might be like, they'll show up even more for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely try it. You're not going to I would, Yeah, yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: Preston won't do that. But we have our own little system and I think it's but you do it to Preston. No, Like I have a little system with him that is sweet and it works for him, but he's not you guys. Anything that smells like homework or a journal or a paper.
Speaker 1: He's no, you do it for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I like it's weird, like right different, Yeah yeah, well that's fair, not written like yeah yeah, yeahyeah, yeah yeah. We're working on and I've been apologizing more. I said I'm sorry three times last week.
Speaker 1: Are you proud of me?
Speaker 3: I am? And now heartfelt I'm sorry. That's great, not like I'm sorry, I'm sorry like a sorry, Yeah, I'm sorry, you suck. No, I really was, like I love you and I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 3: That was it. It's like ripping off a band aid. Why don't you do it? Kind of feels good? You know. Those little resolutions are sneaky, but we're trying. Time. Is anyone doing a physical New Year's resolution? This year.
Speaker 4: I mean I always could work out more for sure, But is that what you mean, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, walks with me?
Speaker 4: I will, Okay, yeah, I'll start walking for sure.
Speaker 1: I need to.
Speaker 4: I'm not as like lethargic on the medicine anymore.
Speaker 1: We should do which.
Speaker 3: Is not an excuse, but maybe we tack on a little something to the wind down days. So yeah, but I really enjoy I want to do like a once a month walk out Percy or Radner.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right absolutely, And that doesn't see your idea because he used it.
Speaker 1: I kind of figured that's what his idea want. I knew it too. We got to go back to this lot. Okay, wow, that was the part two. We're going to go pin this.
Speaker 4: We're going to come back to this, or or at least we are so for me, that doesn't I don't even know, and we don't.
Speaker 3: Have to know.
Speaker 1: We have to. Well, I'm going to keep us going back.
Speaker 4: That seems less like like once a month plan whatever on the calendar feels better than just like come walk with me every day, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Not better, it's easier.
Speaker 4: For some reason in my mind, it's like planned, and it's scheduled and it's whatever and let's go, and it's like I love it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: So it's so hard because so one of my neighbor's Joy that I walk with and Joy, yeah, love love to actually want to have her on because she's a resentment coach hotly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she listens to us like, man, you'll need some coaching.
Speaker 2: No, she's she's a life coach, but she she deals around like resentment. She's lot forses and stuff. She's great, I really have just like I just think she's great. And so so we've been walking a bunch and she's kind of like she works from home, so I'm able to be like, hey, I'm going for a walk in twenty one to go, you know what I mean. So she's but then one of the other neighbors saw us walking and was like, hey, let us let me know next time you're walking. And it's like, right, we're not like every nine like, I can't schedule mostly a walk right because it's just like and it just changes.
Speaker 4: And that's what makes it hard because everyone just like I'm like, can you come in town. I'm like, yeah, no, I can't be there in ten minutes. Yeah, I mean it's gonna take me twelve to get there, and yeah, that's what makes it. But if we did like a but I'm saying if we have once a month or where we could plan a time and we had a like.
Speaker 2: That is more sustainable. I can't be like Tuesdays. What about like that's I would cancel every single one, right.
Speaker 4: And that's where it gets hard. So we all understand. That's why it's easier when you have your people in your neighborhood. Yeah, for sure, but I love the idea. Let's do the once a month at Bradner.
Speaker 1: Which Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: I'm really glad someone's okay.
Speaker 2: All right, Well on that note, happy to year, guys. It's going to be the best your yet. Let's shed the snake.
Speaker 1: And grab onto that horse bite bite