Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast based that's a for greatness.
Speaker 3: Sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: It's so hit, not too long for the great ship, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested across the t's and doctor I's kill them back to get them staying on business with Rie. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us Native lad Podcast for brand that you can trust us.
Speaker 4: Wait, Welcome to the city, your host.
Speaker 5: Pod.
Speaker 6: Everybody, Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home.
Speaker 4: Please welcome that Paty Surrey, compressions of differences, Woman Jasmine front.
Speaker 7: About her soul. Yeah, say what's up? Say what's up?
Speaker 5: Y'all?
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 6: All right, So we are going to get into a conversation that is all too familiar with so many of us on Native Lampod. Every week we're talking politics and culture and we are thrilled to be here.
Speaker 3: At essence fest, y'all make some noise.
Speaker 6: We're just so grateful to be with y'all today. Absolutely, we're talking today about the politics of the attacks on black women, and we are seeing it happen on every single side. In fact, today there's someone who's missing amongst us. We have a good friend of ours named Marilyn Mosey. How many of you all know Marilyn Moseby, right, So she was the Baltimore City State's Attorney. She was recently convicted wrongfully. So there's a petition out for her pardon right now asking President Biden to pardon Marilynd Moseby.
Speaker 3: That is live.
Speaker 6: If you just type in Google Marilynd Moseby Pardon, you can sign that petition.
Speaker 3: Why am I bringing that up right now?
Speaker 6: She was supposed to be on this stage with Jasmine and with Crystal and with us today, but her judge in her case said she could not travel. So Marylynd is sitting at home with an ankle bracelet right now, not with us because of injustice at the Justice Department. So we asked y'all to pray for her, but also sign that petition. So today we're talking the politics of the attacks on black women. And so we have two women who have experienced that on every side, both before you were in the halls of Congress to now and of course Crystal, everything that you've experienced in your case. So we want to get into that today. I just want to open the Florida You first, Jasman, just to say something to the audience.
Speaker 3: So what's up, essence? Listen?
Speaker 8: Uh, somehow they ended up with two Texans, So we'll get into that nonsense and what all goes on in Texas.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 8: The people that run Native Land have been heroes of mine for a very long time.
Speaker 3: So like, please, please please clap it up for these.
Speaker 8: Folks again, because there is a world in which they would silence voices such as they're theirs. And so I want to make sure that we continue to support those that are going to tell our very real stories on our behalf. So let's make sure that we continue to support them. But as many of you may know, I had a little issue with a colleague here recently. Issue, a little issue, but she learned what it is to come for a black woman. And you know I didn't necessary barely plan to walk into work that day and have those kind of issues, but don't come for me unless us in feu come on. So no, but this is a very important conversation because one of the things that I learned while I ended up clapping back on Marjorie Taylor Green in the way that I did, it was more so about defending myself in that moment and making sure that she learned and everybody else looking that you cannot disrespect me.
Speaker 3: I was duly elected.
Speaker 8: Just like she was, and so I was there to serve and work on behalf of the people that elected me. But more importantly, what I didn't realize is that it would open this conversation about the struggle that so many women of color have at work and in their workplace and the disrespect that they are enduring. And to see me sit in my authentic self empowered made them feel as if there is a real conversation to be had.
Speaker 3: And that there is something that they can be done.
Speaker 8: So I appreciate the fact that we're actually having constructive conversations around what does it look like to exist in your workspace and not be disrespected.
Speaker 1: I love that Congressomeman and I got to echo Angela's words, Thank you for what you do, because you know, long before you were elected, I was a fan of Congressom and Jazz and Crockett because you always had a clap back ready to go. But what I love is that I was backed and rooted in conviction in your beliefs, and you show up when you defended yourself that day. You were defending all of us who had to grit our teeth in the face of some mediocre person who don't look like us, who has the semerity to question our works.
Speaker 3: So we so appreciate you.
Speaker 1: And I want to say I want to appreciate you all because when you all listen, you send videos.
Speaker 3: This is a conversation.
Speaker 1: This is we say welcome home, y'all because we want y'all to know y'all are welcome home. And I think it's no better way to bring Crystal into the conversation to say welcome home to you, sister, because what you have gone through, Crystal is abhorrence. Crystal was arrested for casting an inconsequential ballot should be pointed out. She was then acquitted. My attorney will help me if I say something wrong. She was acquitted, and then a higher court overturned that acquittal.
Speaker 3: Sore, just correct me, correct me.
Speaker 5: Just real quit the reverse, and again I echo, everyone's welcome to your home right here. But as Tiffany was alluding to, Crystal in your case, Crystal went, after having previous years and counted the criminal justice system in a federal way, and having caught a felony many years later, she goes to try to do with many of us are asked to do, and that you do in some ways without even thinking it's just a motor skill. She went to cast her vote in any election to have her voice counted, and when she got there to vote, she was informed that she wasn't on the voter rolls and therefore needed to cast what is called a provisional ballot. A provisional ballot is what they give you when your name doesn't show up, which means there may be a question about whether or not your vote can be ultimately counted. It is the right procedure to have taken. What happens after the election polls close is those ballots then go through what we call a curing process. Were they determined can it be counted or can't it? What was determined that Christmas ballot could not be counted, and that's what Tiffany meant by ultimately an inconsequential ballot, a ballot cast, a ballot then gone through the curing process, determined it couldn't be cured and therefore it had no impact on the election. But because of the downright dirty political right wing tricks that are happening in Texas and in Florida and in many other states throughout the country, they decided to want to make an example of this woman who was only doing what we asked her and you and us to do every election cycle, which is simply to show up and have your voice heard, your vote counted. Well. Once she did that, the republic conservative regime, white male largely led, decided that they were going to make an example, decided to prosecute her for voting fraud, for casting a vote on a ballot that didn't get cured, wasn't counted, didn't impact the election. They ended up winning a conviction sentencing her to five.
Speaker 7: Years in jail. Y'all, there are people.
Speaker 5: Who commit homicides and don't get five years in jail, certainly don't serve it, But for exercising your democratic right ended up having to give five years.
Speaker 7: She went through the adjudicatory process.
Speaker 5: To have it appealed, and on appeal a higher level court in Texas decided that one very key element that existed that didn't exist in her case was you have to knowingly go out and break the law. Chris ll didn't realize that she was not eligible to vote, and even if she did, the vote was never even though cast was never counted, so it never impacted the election. So the court said, no, we got to vacate, get rid of that earlier conviction and she should be set for And y'all, as we say.
Speaker 7: That's right, six years, six years, six years of this process.
Speaker 5: This woman's gone through and endures six years, six years of persecution. Well, she gets the appellate court to acide with her on the side of right.
Speaker 3: Andrew, let it hurts, how it is part?
Speaker 7: Do y'all know what happened next?
Speaker 9: Twenty eight days later, the DA failed to the higher courts again criminal courts of appeal to reverse my acquittal.
Speaker 7: So if you didn't hear that, I'm gonna say it louder.
Speaker 5: Twenty eight days after the vacated sentencing, the vacated verdict, the DA's office decided that they were going to file another appeal to reverse the appellate Court's decision to reinforce the original penalty of five years felony conviction against this woman. That's the kind of injustice that's taking place right now.
Speaker 7: You know how many of.
Speaker 5: Us say, or have heard people say, if I was alive during the Civil rights movement, I would have been I wouldn't, They wouldn't. We're in that moment right now. That moment is right now, and so Crystal, in the spirit of that, I would love for you to tell this audience and the rest of us and those who will be listening to the podcast next week, what can we do to be of help to you? What has this been like for you? What how have you survived it? And then how can we help you continue to survive it as we beat back this injustice.
Speaker 9: I would like for you guys to go vote. That's exactly what we need to do in order to change the situation I'm in.
Speaker 3: We gotta get up and we gotta go vote.
Speaker 9: You guys got to remember everybody that was in my that has something to do with my situation. To judge, the prosecutor, the DA they're all elected officials, so if we go out and vote, we can make that difference right there. And this has been overwhelming. I was on something called supervised release. So when they in twenty eighteen, when they told me I was convicted of illegally voting for filling out a provision of balot that never counted, I had to go back to the FEDS, had to go back to prison and do ten months for catching a new offense that I'm acquitted of right now, So I have to go back and do time come back out. I lost a good job job, let me go because they said adverse publicity, meaning I had a high profile case. Sir, Yeah, so I had a high profile case, so they let me go. So I lost insurance, a job, and everything. So it's been devastating, devastating to me and my family. And six years out on a pillbon over six years and finally getting the acquittal March of two thousand twenty four, and like I said, twenty eight days later, now I don't know what's gonna go on. So I need you guys to go vote. It look like two thousand and twenty four it's gonna really we really need this, so this is what I'm asking. I started organization Crystal Mason The Fight Against Voter Suppression. I go out and share my stories so I can let people know that if you're ineligible in Texas, if you completed your time, you're eligible to vote.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: So I go out and share my stories and let people know exactly who I am and what I went through.
Speaker 3: And this is why this is so important to me.
Speaker 7: Can you name the organization again and where they.
Speaker 6: Can contribute money.
Speaker 9: The organization is Crystal Mason the Fight Against Voter Suppression and you can contribute and look up my information upon the Crystal Mason Thefight dot org.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Crystal. Tiff.
Speaker 6: I know you were going to weigh in earlier, and I think it's so important for us to have Oh hello, is this one okay?
Speaker 3: Can y'all just try to keep those on consistently?
Speaker 6: It is a live podcast recording.
Speaker 3: God bless you and your family's backstage.
Speaker 6: Okay, Tiff, I was saying reclaiming my time that you were trying to say something earlier, and I wanted to make sure you ate in. It's so important that we're having these conversations is because people might watch movies and think things like this could never happen, and they're happening every single day, and we don't have the resources to ensure that they're a platformed like Crystal. Crystal, your story is so important and you will tell it over and over again since we are so grateful for you, TI if I know you were gonna weigh in, well.
Speaker 1: First of all, thank you, Crystal for your testimony, and not only for your testimony, because they're trying to bleed us by a thousand cuts, and you didn't lay down and bleed. You were standing up and fighting. And I want you to know you are not fighting alone.
Speaker 3: You have us.
Speaker 1: You have the people in this audience who are gonna go out and know your case and contribute and register the vote and register Big Mama and cousins and everybody this upcoming election. Because while everybody else is talking about how old one candidate is, even though they're real close in age, were not talking about a convicted felon with thirty four counts under his belt and accused rapist, a xenophobe, a misogynist.
Speaker 3: A project thank you somebody who's pull it.
Speaker 1: And his first job in government was as president of the United States. Thank you, White America. We need to be focused on what the real issue is. The other thing I will point out, while Crystal's attack is threatening her very life and livelihood, every last one of us on this stage has been attacked, and every last one of us has had our livelihoods threatened. When I met the congresswoman, they were the white men who was running the state legislature were threatening to throw her in jail because she left to not participate in their foolishness. When Angela spoke a truth, an honest truth that dared to make white folks uncomfortable, they tried to silence her. When my brother Andrew, who is so gifted politically in a way, who has covered and anointed in a way, when he tried to make tangible change and made white folks in Florida, which has become a safe haven for white supremacists, uncomfortable, they tried to destroy this man. When I spoke the truth that made white folks uncomfortable, they summarily canceled my show because they didn't honor you all the show.
Speaker 3: Who listened to it.
Speaker 1: So none of us have the ability to lay down and die right now. So I just feel blessed to be in the company of other fighters and the echo Andrews point, whatever you're doing right now is what you would have been doing during the Civil rights movement. So when they write this chapter of American history, think about what they will write about you and what role you played in righting the wrongs the history is put in before us right now.
Speaker 6: Jasmine, you you were Flavor Flavor Tiff in a good way or the a man corner and when you just were like Project twenty twenty five. And I want to stop for a moment because Taraji many of you all might have seen on the BT or Traji Pansen talked Aboutroject twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty five that day.
Speaker 6: The numbers on our Project twenty twenty five podcasts sore people want to know about it.
Speaker 3: How many of you are familiar with Project twenty twenty five year? Oh this is an educated audience.
Speaker 6: Well for those at home who missed the pot Ja's been breaking down for us real quick, because there's gonna be Moore attacks if we let that happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I gotta go back to the full circle part real quick. Listen.
Speaker 8: So what's so interesting and that part of my story that most people don't know is how tied to these two women. Specifically, my story is so Tiffany talks about when we first met, Listen, I was fleeing my state because even though I had been a criminal defense attorney for well over a decade at that point, I had been dealing in the criminal justice system for a very long time.
Speaker 3: I never had a warrant out for my arrest.
Speaker 8: Not until I became an elected state representative did I get my first warrant out for my arrest. And the warrant was out for my arrest about voting rights because I decided that I I was not going to sit there and allow them to take rights that my ancestors had fought and bled and died for away from my constituents.
Speaker 3: I felt like that was what representation looked like.
Speaker 8: And so when I decided that I was going to leave the chamber, they decided to put a warrant out for my arrest. But let me take it back a little further, because I never wanted to be in politics, and even today I shake my head and wonder what am I doing. But nevertheless, Crystal story touched me in a special way, and I know it's got to be some Deltas in the audience.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 8: So so we know that Delta is always about social action, and so what we do is we always show up to the state houses.
Speaker 3: So I showed up to the state House.
Speaker 8: I was not elected at this time, and I testified on a voting bill. And when I testified, I testified about what happened to Crystal Mason and why the law was broken, and they act like they couldn't hear me. So I then decided I was going to show up and make them hear me. And so that's when I ran for office. I got elected to office, and as a freshman, we actually convinced the Republicans in the House to undo the mistake in that law. We actually rewrote it on behalf of Crystal, hoping that it would.
Speaker 3: Actually help her case. We did that.
Speaker 8: Republicans actually stood with us and did that. But ultimately, as you've heard, you know, it takes a lot for somebody to go through what she has gone through and to decide instead of going home and crying about it, I'm gonna be on the front lines.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make sure that there's legislative change.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna make sure that nobody silences me, and I'm gonna make sure that I encourage other people to go out and get these fascists out of office, because that's.
Speaker 3: What Project twenty twenty five is about.
Speaker 8: Project twenty twenty five in short, because I know we're gonna be short on time, it's about making sure you bow down to the Orange Jesus. Okay, some of y'all get there when you get home. Nevertheless, that's what it's about. My mom is a federal employee. She is what you would consider it to be a career employee. And what they're saying is like, listen, lady, unless you are going to say that you are going to be loyal to the Orange one, you will not have a job.
Speaker 3: That is number one. Number two.
Speaker 8: They're saying that we ain't nothing but sinners, which we are, I mean, you know, but nevertheless, they're saying that we need to have a country that is based on Christian principles, and the Jesus they pray to somehow tells me is the same Jesus that they use to justify slavery out of the Bible. That's the Jesus that they want us to look out for. In addition, to so many other things. They want to get rid of diversity, equity, and inclusion because they say that if you are diverse, then you obviously are not qualified. And so right now, what is wild is that we already see this playing out. When they go after our reproductive access. That is a part of Project twenty twenty five. When they decide to delete the DEI offices, that is a part of Project twenty twenty five. When they install judges such as Eileen Cannon and the people that we have sitting in the Supreme Court, I was gonna call them something else, but I don't know what I can say here. When they install those people who are not following the law but instead are deciding that they are going to bend to the will of one man and decide that they are going to come out with precedents that says that he can be a king, and they are crumbling our democracy in front of our eyes. So when Tiffany says, yeah, they both old, she right, they are both old.
Speaker 3: But there's only.
Speaker 8: One person or one ticket that cares about democracy and is going to stand for it and respect the humanity that sits in this room. There is another side that is saying, you know what, them black folks that are going down to essence, we want to get rid of that. We don't like them coming together, We don't like them talking about the real issues.
Speaker 3: We don't care about the.
Speaker 8: Struggles that are occurring economically or educationally when it comes to these black folk. And so while I know that no party is perfect, and I'm telling you my party is not perfect, there is at least one party that is searching for a more perfect union.
Speaker 3: The other one is trying to tear us down. Guys man, how's that for a beach blinde bad bill? Y'all know?
Speaker 6: The rest there is a whole remax bleach bind man, y'all know. But you know the other thing that I think is really significant that we don't always talk about it. And I think as people try to unpack the hundreds of pages that is Project twenty twenty five, their organizations get protected when they do things that are partisan and political, like the Heritage Foundation, which is the architect of Project twenty twenty five and this work they've been doing for years. Tip you talk about this on the podcast all the time, Crystal, I do want to come to you to ask you what makes you tap into your courage after an attack. There are a lot of people, not Jasmine and certainly not Crystal sitting up here, who get attacked and recoil. Andrew, You're the opposite of that. Andrew got attacked, got acquit it, and was like, I'm taking on the whole justice system himself.
Speaker 3: So I want to know what.
Speaker 6: Trait you have that you are endowed with that allows you to carry on courageously.
Speaker 9: Well, I told you guys, I did time before. So just imagine being a mother and raising kids in prison. That was the hardest thing I ever did. And I promise my kids when I get out, this will never happen again. So when I came back and I started going through this situation in regards to the illegal voting, I'm a provider, I'm a mother, And that's what gave me to care, is to say that no, I'm not gonna accept probation. No I'm not gonna accept deferredjudicate when I know I didn't do anything wrong. So no I didn't. They offered me ten years at first, ten years, uh ten years time. Then they turned around and that offered me ten years deferred judicaate, Like, hey, take something, No, and I went to trial. And when I went to trial, and a lot of people don't notice me becoming while I was in the federal system, I became a s certy five par legal, so a lot of people don't know when they send it to me to five years. I asked for an appill and anything that's none violent and up under ten years you can s you can get out on the up pill bond. And that's the only red they didn't offer it. My attorney didn't offer it.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 9: At that time, I realized that he wasn't working for me.
Speaker 3: Wow and oh wo uh.
Speaker 9: I asked for an a pill bond and that's the only reason why I was out. So you gotta know. And that's the problem. That's why we gotta have people in the office that's for us. And I'm gonna piggyback on Jasmin right here. When Jasmine won the congresswoman, we were doing a protest. Jasmine has helped me Like it was the winter storm and I had house people in my event center because it was cold, so I had people staying in my event center. Not only does she give me funds to help me out with that, but she told me I got you, and I remember that when she became a congressman, she went up there and she did exactly what she said. She was fighting to get me free, and I really appreciate her her.
Speaker 1: Andrew, I think you made a really good point. Thank you for breaking down what happened with Crystal. We are talking about the politics of the attacks on black women because we are going through it right now. But I just wanted to give a shout out to our brothers because I know y'all are going through it, and I would love to know from Andrew what keeps your fight because when you hear what Andrew went through, and he talked about it on a podcast, so you can go back and listen if you haven't heard, but little things. We were going through an airport together and we Angela and I were going through clear TSA. And Andrew said, oh no, they took that from me. They took this man, an innocent person. He's convicted of nothing, broke no law, committed no crime, and they took this man's TSA, passport, everything and tried to destroy him at every possible level. And he stands with us, and now his biggest quarrel is with me and Angela so I wonder what keeps you going, Andrew, And that.
Speaker 5: Is no small affair if you listen to the show trying to compete with these two.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I appreciate the question of Angela and I.
Speaker 3: You know that's Tiffany, sir.
Speaker 5: I was deliberately confusing the two of you to get a reaction from you. You one, but in seriousness, you know, I was tearing up with you, Crystal, because still parts of when I hear other people's experience with the criminal justice system feels really traumatic to me. And I didn't spend any time in jail, but I know what it feels like to have the United States of America against insert name.
Speaker 7: It was your name, it was my name at one point.
Speaker 5: And as a person who have been elected and advocated and fought on behalf of people, I feel like I had a lot more courage and strength to fight for other people than I did for myself, although I knew I did nothing wrong.
Speaker 7: You know how, sometimes.
Speaker 5: Scripture tells you to believe what God says about you and not what they say about you. He has to give us that word because it's easy to allow the enemies language and definition of who you are to seep in, especially when it's repeated to you time after time after time after time, and is reinforced in all of the institutions and systems that they've built to put us under. And so what makes it so special what you're doing is that she didn't ask for this perch. She didn't ask to be anybody's hero except for the children that she was raising. It even then, like most of us, you're just doing what you can do to keep up, and you feel like you're always, even though graceful, above the water, paddling like you've never you know, paddled before in your life, underneath the water. And when we think about the ways in which we should be performing, when we see injustices, you're living it. You're breathing it because it showed up for you. But when we asked her what we could do for her, she didn't say, send me nothing. She didn't say right to judge right up, ed right, it is, go lay down in front of the building and take out the prosecutor.
Speaker 7: She said, voe.
Speaker 5: Because that's what they're most afraid, that's what they're terrified of. That's what they're fearful of. They are terrified that y'all are gonna wake up and realize that you have the power. So their job is to convince us, to confuse us, to deter us, to make us feel like we don't know, and that were too weak, and that the process too difficult for us regular people to understand, so that we then disempower ourselves so that we check out because it's too hard. Jasmine didn't check out, Crystal didn't check out. I'm not checking out, and either is Angela or Tiffany. I got it right, because what I know for sure is that while your name may be on those legal papers, she is simply a harbinger, an example, a shot over the bow. It is meant to drag her and the rest of us through so much trash and garbage that you make the decision that you never want to be drug through that same trash and garbage.
Speaker 7: So guess so maybe I don't vote.
Speaker 5: Maybe I got a problem because I got a ticket the other day, and I don't want a ticket to be confused with a felony or conviction. And what anything they can do to keep us out and to keep us from knowing what God gave us equality, superiority, morality, and thinking and performance and action and everything.
Speaker 7: We're too good to be taken out.
Speaker 5: And that's how you survive four hundred years of degradation, tyranny, subjugation, and slavery when you.
Speaker 7: Know, not know, but when you know.
Speaker 5: Not because the sun, because the Son of God has already told us that it's promised.
Speaker 7: That's it. That's how I got over.
Speaker 5: Now I know that that's how you're getting over because I'm listening to your life experience.
Speaker 7: Y'all.
Speaker 5: She asked to be a hero, and that means neither did the rest of us. But we have to stand in the gap as if we were.
Speaker 6: Andrew, I love this, and part of it is because you know, one the doors of the church are now open.
Speaker 3: We have these moments on the podcast. Yes, we take them.
Speaker 6: Some colections too on that point, though, all jokes aside. There are some things that we need to do agenda wise as we prepare for this election. There are a lot of folks who aren't excited about voting. You live with some of them, you are neighbors with some of them, you follow some of them on social media. They're not excited about the options, and so we've got to give folks things to be excited about. We have to get an agenda across the finish line, and we have to do that by advocating what's in our best interests.
Speaker 3: Right. I think one of the.
Speaker 6: Things that I'm really struggling with right now is that Marilynd was the latest example. But she's not going to be the last example. Marilynd Moseby. There are other people who the Department of Justice is going after. This Department of Justice didn't do a review of the cases that Donald Trump took on to go after his political enemies.
Speaker 3: I would rather be.
Speaker 6: Challenging this Department of Justice to get it right than to be trying to figure out a bail fund and a legal defense fund for Jasmine just because she set up for what was right for us in a committee hearing or on the House floor. And that is very well where we could be with Project twenty twenty five. So I would love for you all to start talking about costs to action for this audience. What can folks do at home? How many of y'all are voting in November. How many of y'all got family members who are saying they're not gonna vote in November? Some of us, somebody said I'll fight them because them hands didn't go up. Y'all were like, I wish they would. I love that. But we know that we're hearing it too much. How many of us are hearing it too much? That folks don't want to vote? Right, So y'all, what should we be doing?
Speaker 3: Chris? So we got our marching orders from.
Speaker 6: You, but there are some other things that we need to be doing.
Speaker 3: Vote And what.
Speaker 1: Call to action would be whatever you can do in this case, I would say Crystal's case. If you can contribute five dollars, ten dollars, whatever you have, and I know the wealth gap doesn't give a lot of us disposable income, but whatever you have, contribute to this fund or whatever voting advocacy in your community.
Speaker 3: If you don't have any disposable.
Speaker 1: Income, which I understand testimony and shout out to anybody who doesn't, you can canvas, you can show up, You can knock on doors. You can make sure your neighbors are registered to vote. You can volunteer to drive them to vote. And Angela always deflects when I say this, but I'm gonna say this today. A lot of people will come and say, I want to do what you all do, or they come into Angela say I want to be like you. I want y'all to know nobody on this stage set out to be famous. Nobody on this stage set out to walk a carpet. That was never the goal. We were always trying to build community, not brands. And so when I call Angela the chief of staff of the Blacks, because when y'all call, she answers, she fights, She works hard, and it gets exhausting doing that alone. So if y'all can help us in this fight, if everybody does a little, no one person has to do a lot. So whatever call to action you can do at the state, federal, or local level to help make sure they rather see this country burn to the ground before they see somebody who looks like us run it, Please get involved in whatever way, door knocking, cash, phone banking, whatever you can do.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna just I was gonna her say, my colleague action would be piggybacking on Cabinson going out there actually knocking on doors and talking to people. I have walked in barber's shops, I've walked up to people in parts and just held a conversation with them and just find out if they're registered. If not, and if y'all have the tools or know where to get registered. You know, guys, that's the ones we need. The ones that's not registered, we need to get them registered because we are. Everybody already raise their hands, so we know you're going so that you need to commit to least getting two people registered to vote and get them out there, and that's gonna make the difference for us.
Speaker 8: Now, I'm just gonna say, I know we're doing a call to action, but I cannot skip over Andrew and what you said. And I don't know how many of you were thinking along the same lines as I was when Tiffany talked about the disenfranchisement that he has suffered with no conviction. Now, for those that believe that Donald Trump is like us, Kendrick Lamar got a song for you, they not like us, because here's the reality. You have people that are considering voting for Donald Trump to be president of the United States and he has thirty four felony convictions. If Andrew has been disenfranchised without a conviction, you imagine how limiting it is for a president of the United States, who is arguably the leader of the free world. To have thirty four convictions. Do y'all understand their's countries? He can't even go into with convictions. You tell me how effective he is going to be for us if he can't lead this world, because that's what the president of the United States does. That's number one. Number Two, no one would dare to treat him the way that Andrew was treated. I have never for those of you that don't know, I practiced criminal law and civil rights law before I went into politics. I have never had a client that was out pretrial when over eighty something counts of felonies. They were sitting behind bars waiting on their day. Okay, I guess y'all ain't got no cousins. I do, and I'm telling you the reality. So I want you to understand that. Honestly, Donald, if he cared to say that he was really going to talk to black folk about something that has disproportionately impacted us, such as criminal justice, because now he understands. Because now he doesn't he still don't understand because he hasn't seen what we have had to live through. Number one, But if he was smart, he would actually have an agenda as it relates to criminal justice, reform.
Speaker 3: But in that debate, the debate that everybody talking about.
Speaker 8: Last I checked, he didn't talk about criminal justice reform, and supposedly the number one thing that it's polling right now about what people care about is the economy.
Speaker 3: He ain't talk about that either.
Speaker 7: Black jobs though, job.
Speaker 8: Wait what he did talk about the black jobs we do it our black jobs here, didn't talk about that.
Speaker 3: We are doing our black job. Actually, our black job in November is to vote. Hello, Hello, That is our black job. I think that's the podcast episode name now. I think we just changed. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but back to the cause of action. Sorry, my bad. I just I couldn't leave that there. You should. You should make that your next T shirt.
Speaker 5: Sis.
Speaker 3: Your black job is to vote it to vote, y'all would buy that.
Speaker 7: T shirt you said something?
Speaker 3: Now, all right, you don't even need to give me no money on it.
Speaker 8: That's because you know it's I'm going to donations because I gotta sit to my good man.
Speaker 3: My god man ain't come. That's the only probably try to charge you.
Speaker 8: Yeah they will, Yeah, they would try to charge me, you know anyway. They do all kinds of stuff. I can't do it. I ain't Clarence Thomons.
Speaker 3: But nevertheless, oh y'all caught that we not like us either. He not like he not like us.
Speaker 6: I'll see walk on that one, and that's not that for Clarence. Carry on, carry on.
Speaker 8: So cause to action number one, there are spaces that we just cannot infiltrate. Right now, all of the data shows that not Let me just ask, y'all, how many of y'all have a group chat, whether it's your your line, sister, group chat, your whatever it is. We all have these group chats and they are safe spaces, your family group chat.
Speaker 3: Those are places that we can't infiltrate.
Speaker 8: And honestly, you are a lot more influential than any politician will ever be. I can talk until I'm blue in the face, and people are still going to say that I have an agenda. I do have an agenda, and my agenda is y'all, But nevertheless, somebody is going to believe that I have something else going on.
Speaker 3: So I need you to tell your stories. One of the things that I do.
Speaker 8: I was able to talk to Omegasi Fi as well as Delta Sigma Theta, and both of them are organizations where you've got to go to college. The numbers show that if you go to college, chances are if you black, you had to take you'll student loans. Anybody in here ever had a student loan? Okay, So one of the other things that I asked is I ask in those rooms how many of you have had your student loans relieved under this administration?
Speaker 3: Is there anyone in this room? Thank you? I got some Can you guys stand up? I think this even have this on the podcast? Wow? Wow, all right, wow, Well let me tell y'all something.
Speaker 8: Let me tell y'all some y'all know why I can ask that room or ask that question in a room full of black college educated people is because I know my team.
Speaker 3: I know the numbers.
Speaker 8: There has been one hundred and fifty seven billion dollars worth of student loan debts that have been relieved, and people complain. No, that's a that's a clapping moment for real, because while some people talking about a twelve hundred dollars stimulus chick, some of y'all haven't got six figures.
Speaker 3: Off your back. So so if you're okay, so hey, yah, your number? What's your number? Some a hundred thousand dollars one hundred and seventy eight. I I have to stand up now.
Speaker 6: I want to hear her number.
Speaker 3: Her what's your number?
Speaker 5: Dollar?
Speaker 3: What's your number? What does she junior?
Speaker 9: Oprah?
Speaker 6: I came here.
Speaker 1: Two hundred hundred, two hundred thousand, one.
Speaker 3: Seventy wow seven, oh wow?
Speaker 4: This good?
Speaker 10: Okay, seventy thousand, she said, seventy.
Speaker 3: Now, let me tell y'all something.
Speaker 8: I'm still in my feelings, so I don't want y'all to keep throwing these numbers out because my student long dad ain't that high and it ain't been relieved.
Speaker 3: Lis'sen here. But but but but here's the deal.
Speaker 8: Like in all seriousness, one thing we don't like to do is black folks talk about money. But if people can sit up here and act as if Trump gave them a stimulus check, which I want to correct the record, y'all.
Speaker 3: Need to holler at Auntie Nancy.
Speaker 8: Auntie Nancy Nancy Pelosi, who was the Speaker of the House was the one that originated the bill, and it got through the Democratic House, the Democratic Senate, and all this fool did was slowed down the checks because he wanted to put his name on them. That's number one, that's Number Two, it was more than one stimulus check.
Speaker 3: There were a total of three.
Speaker 8: The other two were signed by none other than President Joe Biden. So if you want to say that you're happy about stimulus checks that ain't coming back, let me put that out there too.
Speaker 3: Number One, you need to think a Democrat.
Speaker 8: Number Two, if people can get up and talk about how they got a twelve hundred dollars check and they came from Donald Trump, every single one of y'all that had one hundred and seventy thousand and two seventy two point.
Speaker 3: Fifty whatever it is. If it's five dollars, I'm gonna need y'all to.
Speaker 8: Go tell somebody because when people are talking about this administration has not worked for black folk as I can see it, they are working for black folk, now, let me tell you. And the reason that this matters, because we are at the Global Economic Black Economic Forum, is because this is.
Speaker 3: How we build wealth. I know, the costs are still high.
Speaker 8: This is why you need to make sure that the Democrats are running the House, the Senate, and the White House, because we get it. I know, y'all get mad because they get out there and they say things like the economy is great.
Speaker 3: It's great. It's great. I get it. I get it, I get it, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 8: They talk in numbers, but I understand housing costs are still high. I know that the interest rates are still high. We don't set those, the President don't set those. But we have a plan. It's a plan that includes a stimulus. It's also a plan to be more aggressive on these suit loan desks because we know that black folk have been disproportionately impacted. This means that you can get the home ownership you need to build that generational wealth. So while somebody want to talk to you about twelve hundred dollars, I'm gonna need to I'm gonna need y'all to talk to them about some real dollars that have changed y'all's lives. And while that food may cost more, you got more money in your pocket to buy.
Speaker 6: Okay, So here's the thing. Here's the thing now, I am. I am very grateful for everything. Representative Jasmine Crocker just shared. I just want y'all to know that the campaign is finally ready to advertise on our program, and so we could just say from this point forward, that's Joe Bideney approved this message because that was a whole campaign ad. So now maybe y'all we can get out of that host read they want us to do it because JAZZMN definitely just had a whole advertisement for them. So that said the record that run tail that ad, I think they are recording to ag But I also want to just say in this close as we get ready to close TIV Andrew Manna come back to you. It is so important that we continue to engage with you on our podcast.
Speaker 3: We enjoy it.
Speaker 6: I hope y'all know how much we enjoy doing Native lampod and we love the NLP fam. Please make sure you download and subscribe. And even more importantly, y'all, we're gonna be talking some really really important issues. I need you to pay attention to these petitions. We need to get an appeal, and not an appeal, a pardon for marylnd Moseby. We need to ensure that Crystal Mason stays free. We need to ensure the jazz and is never prosecuted. We need to ensure that Andrew we raise money for Andrew's legal defense fund. He's gonna be mad that I said it, but it's true. That was a weighty and expensive defense. And thank god he is free. Get him his pre check back? Who worked for TSA in here? I'm gonna come see you. We need to get his pre check back. All everybody working today at TSA? All right, Well, I'm gonna find onne of y'all. But the only other thing that I'll say to you is please make sure that you vote, and I need you all to start pushing an agenda where we can actually get something done. Run up all the way until the Democratic National Convention and make sure they understand how important it is to hear from black folks. I know soon Black Future's Lab, which also has a sister organization, the Black to the Future Action Fund, will be pushing out a black economic agenda. Please make sure you share and support that as well. We are Native Lampod and we might have one more clo closing call to action and action.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to up Crystals, bring two people to arrive with five The congress women got at it and her comments Joe Biden, the congresswoman, Crystal, any of us, any of your favorite celebrities, they have a less higher influence on you voting than your own family members. It is family members who have the greatest impact in turning out voters to the polls, even though you hear all those advertisements and so what do I mean by that? And I'll short circuit it and arriving with five, Just list the other five members of your family who you question whether or not they're gonna vote. They didn't told you they're not gonna vote, or they're not talking about voting at all.
Speaker 7: If they're eligible.
Speaker 5: Legally allowed to vote in your respective states, make it your job to arrive with five, get them there. That's your sole purpose on election day. If all of us did that, man this thing, well, I lost the race for governor in the state of twenty plus million people by point zero zero two percent. All right, so if we all do that, that's how you want.
Speaker 3: To she mad about it? They voted for you.
Speaker 1: I love it, Just say real quickly, Angela. A lot of people reach out to us and say, come to Philly or come to Alabama.
Speaker 3: Come here.
Speaker 1: We love doing live shows, we love connecting with you all. It does cost money to do, so we would love to come everywhere y'all invite us. But when you reach out, just know it usually has to come with a sponsor to get us all there. We gotta stay. We have to have a venue for folks like you, So we're happy to be here. At essence, it's not the end of our life tour. We look forward to more tour dates. But I battle the budget around said. If you have a budget, or control a budget, or know somebody who controls a budget, I'm gonna give you all Angela Rye's cell phone number.
Speaker 3: Do you have your take that down? Nope, don't reach out. We reached out. We would love to be that. I was doing a podcast with trolls, did y'all know?
Speaker 6: So anyway, this has been episode twenty seven of Native Lampid.
Speaker 3: Welcome Home, y'all. There are one hundred and seventeen days until the election. Not enough time. Thank y'all, We love you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives, attention to what the info and all of the latest Roy Gillam and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, So grateful it took to execute roles. Thank for serve definding, protect the truth, been in case for Welcome home to all of the Natives.
Speaker 3: Wait, thank you, Welcome home, y'all, welcomes.
Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.