Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Iheartradiots. Katie loves.
Speaker 2: Gulieremo Katie, Katie loves he g Olalla Yes yo.
Speaker 1: Recently I started watching a bunch of Elvis movies. I've seen them before, but not all of them, but there's a bunch of them on one of the streaming networks and I love them so much.
Speaker 3: What have you seen the most latest, Austin Butler? Elvia? Is it amazing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I really really liked it. He's really good. He doesn't look like Elvis at all in my opinion, but that doesn't matter because he has like his essence. He's really fucking good.
Speaker 3: Wow, so good. I have not seen it. I should watch that. Yeah, bad actor.
Speaker 1: Yo, Katie. Isn't it funny when you're I remember being in college and being, you know, whatever age you are, when you're like second year of college, I was, I don no, twenty twenty one, I don't fucking know. But there was a girl in one of my acting classes. And I went to a business school, but of course I took like the three like acting classes that there were in the school, and there was a girl in my class that was like thirty two, and I remember all of us being like, yo, she's thirty two. We were flabbergasted that she was in her.
Speaker 3: Thirties and this person we never met, but.
Speaker 1: I remember all of us being like, it was like the school. It was like this drama.
Speaker 3: People were like, oh my god, he was thirty creature doing.
Speaker 1: Here, and we love her. We loved her. But of course now I'm fifty two and I'm like, hey, you know that's two so young? What? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, wait, in business school? Did you take business classes?
Speaker 1: I took some. I went to Baroque College, which is the college that Jaylo went to. Yes, it's on like twenty third in Lexington. I knew I wanted to be an actor, but I wanted to go to have something to fall back on, get a degree in business, just to have something to fall back and my two older brothers went there.
Speaker 3: I cannot imagine you running, like doing a regular life job.
Speaker 1: Can you fucking imagine my dumb ass trying to do somebody's fucking taxes or some bullshit that has to do with money or something that's not artistic?
Speaker 3: Noumb you're incredibly smart.
Speaker 1: Well listen, I can be dumb sometimes, I like not, that's so not my brain. It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 3: We're not traditional like that, like you can't do a job like that, Like that is not Oh so both your brothers went to Baruch, so you were like, all right, I'll just do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. But luckily, you know, at the second year, like the middle of the second year, I got an agent and I started booking, and I was like, see you peaking was out of there, peace out.
Speaker 3: You must have come into Baruk and they must have been like, wow, give this dude.
Speaker 1: All the leads yep, Like they were like this motherfucker could act. All those business majors were terrible actors. So my scrawny ass was like I could do it, and they were like they're amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I can't imagine. I'm just like dying over the image of you, like having a sliding doors life, where like you didn't get an agent and you graduated book and you're in like some already shitted suit and you can't wear all your shirts and your leather suspenders and you have to like report to an office and like do taxes or something like what would you.
Speaker 1: Have done that is disgusting. I would never. I would never.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have survived. I little Giermo Diaz going to Beru colleges. This is the greatest thing in the entire world. To make it crazy like it would have, I can't. You were not meant to do that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't change it for the world. You know. It was such a great experience. And I met so many There was a professor, there, a names.
Speaker 3: You met that thirty two year old old hag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that old hag.
Speaker 3: Wow. Today's episode is two sixteen. We are nearing the like we are in the final third of the second season where shit gets ramped up and fucking crazy. This episode is called Top of the Hour and it aired on March twenty first of twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: And it was written by Heather Mitchell and directed by Steve Robin. Check it out. Okay, March twenty first is the day before my birthday.
Speaker 3: Continue, Oh, the best day in the world, the day that we all, we all need to be celebrating.
Speaker 1: March first.
Speaker 3: Second guest starring Scott Foley as Jake Bellard, Sharmila Devar as Lauren Wellman, Kurt Fuller as great In Osborne, Samantha slow And as Janine Locke, Alexander Greer as Patrick White, house staffer, Denorka Wildcott as reporter.
Speaker 1: Carol Reesrios as reporter, Peter J. Jackson as news anchor, Lisa Edelstein as Sarah Stanner love her. J. Carnes as Phil Stanner.
Speaker 3: This is a beautiful name, and it's saida.
Speaker 1: Eureka as Samantha Wells. I hope I did not butcher her name.
Speaker 3: Who is Samantha Wells in it?
Speaker 1: Who the fuck knows?
Speaker 3: I don't you remember who Samantha Wells was?
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna get into it, so will so.
Speaker 1: Samantha Wells was the secretary that is seats is seated outside of Fitz's office, where Melly is like, tell me we all his meetings, please? Oh god, damn it. I fucked up. You're right, that's.
Speaker 3: Lauren Lauren Wellman, who is the who is the secretary who's in charge of Fitz's schedule?
Speaker 1: And right, yes, sorry, I apologize, guys, says a real doozy of an episode.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a classic. We've got a case of the Week, and we've got a lot of b storyline going on in the White House Synopsis. Olivia and her OPA team find themselves once more in the middle of a media firestorm. This time they go to head to head with the White House after their new client, high powered CEO Sarah Stanner, is accused of having an affair with President Fitz's nominee for the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Olivia delivers a hot tip to Jake Ballard as their flirtations continue. In pursuit of the White House, mole Huck teaches Quinn how to be a professional stalker with mixed results. Me Yeah, hey, wait a minute. Meanwhile, Cyrus and Mellie battle for the President's attention, and Abby confronts Harrison over his role in her and David Rosen's breakup. Whoa wow?
Speaker 3: Okay, So to Jog y'all's memory. Lisa Edelstein portrays the case of the week, Sarah Stanner, and she's fucking unbelievable. Her acting is ridiculous. She's so good, it's amazing, Like she plays this high powered female ceo. They have two kids, this like sort of perfect life, a lovely house and then her daughter. They're like setting up dinner at the beginning of the episode and You're like, oh my god, what a lovely family. And then all of a sudden, it's like ding dog and then a little daughter goes to run pizza, and the little daughter runs to the front door, and it's like ooh.
Speaker 1: And it's like all these reporters and right outside the door.
Speaker 3: Clashing bulbs and your your mother, you know, like do we want to talk to Sarah Stanza. She's been having an affair with the Supreme Court nominee. And what we learn is the case of the week is that Fitz's Supreme Court nominee was having an affair we think with Lisa Aiedelstein's character a million years ago, but it turns out what we learn is that affair was like going on for like a way.
Speaker 1: Much longer, much much longer.
Speaker 3: She was almost even kind of in love with them. Her husband puts it together like is our daughter even mine? Am I the father? Anyway, their performance is amazing, and so it's sort of like the White House going head to head with Opa because we rep Lisa Aiedelstein's character and the White House is trying to protect the Supreme Court nominee, and so they're tearing Lisa Aidelstein's character apart in the press, like showing all these pictures of her in college, like she was like a slut, and like releasing emails where she was like basically supposedly like begging him to have sex with her.
Speaker 1: And of course, and Cyrus is like, wtf, Olivia, what the hell are you doing? Leave this alone? And she's like, nope, I'm this this is my client. Too bad, And I love what she delivers. One of my favorite lines where she tells Cyrus take a breath, Cyrus, I don't want to be responsible for a heart attack, Like you're going to have a heart attack. Because Cyrus is losing his shit over this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such foreshadowing, because Cyrus does have a heart attack at some point. I can't remember what season that is. Definitely has a heart attack.
Speaker 1: And some times.
Speaker 3: We will be back with more after the break. Okay, let's consult on notes. Let me look at the notes of like my favorite best scenes and all this shit.
Speaker 1: There's so many in this one, so many I.
Speaker 3: Know, they're so great, and there's a lot of oh, oh god, I just had a really big flashback. Okay, we'll get there to Okay, Olivia brings information on the kidnapped. Are they army people who are kidnapped?
Speaker 1: Who's I believe they're military folks.
Speaker 3: The military folk have been kidnapped. And Fits is trying to figure out. But there's a mole and Jake Is and Olivia are like flirtatious as all hell. Olivia goes to visit Jake at his office and we see some adorable photo of like with him and a camel getting looked in the face and Jake in his like hot sexy uniform and all that kind of thing. Melly doesn't understand, like what the fuck is going on? She sees that in Fits his schedule, three meetings a week are going on late at night, and she goes to Cyrus and is like, your boys cheating on us? I know. She's like, no, no, no, forgive me. Are boys cheating on you? He's meeting with someone three nights a week and I don't know who it is, and Cyrus, you don't know who it is? And Cyrus is supposed to know everything about us, what the president is doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, what else?
Speaker 3: G what are Oh? There's so much good Quinn.
Speaker 1: Hawks, so much good stuff.
Speaker 3: Really like the beginning of Quinn. It's a lot of Quinn Hawk shit, Like you know what I remember, g yeah, can you remember any of it?
Speaker 1: You know what I remember from about this episode is how much I enjoyed shooting it, because whenever we were on location, it was just fun. We were out out of you know, the studios. We weren't in the OPA office, which was you know, that was fun too, of course, but when we got to go outside and be like in downtown La or in Pasadena, and the fact that it was just you, me and you shooting this episode, like I think it was pretty much you and I together this whole episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the whole work. We're following.
Speaker 1: We're following the mole, the White House.
Speaker 3: Mole who's great in Osbourne, played by Kurt Fuller, and and you're not really helping, like you're saying, I'm like, okay, well he's going to make the drop in plane daylight, and so I'm like following him around and we stop at a dry cleaners, and you're letting Quinn do the whole stalking work. But Quinn like keeps fucking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wants he to get her feet, he wants her to get her feet wet and just you know, get in there, really dive in and experience what it's like.
Speaker 3: And so she waits, my love it. She waits behind Grade and Fuller in the line for the cleaners, and she's like, holy shit, I feel like he's making the drop. There's like sketchy shit going on. And they're like, okay, next customer, what would you like to drop off for your dry cleaning? And Quinn's like ugh, and she just gives her her shirt off of her back.
Speaker 1: The next shot we see it's just you in a.
Speaker 3: Bra, just made a bra. And I'm like walking to the car, like so mortified and embarrassed and made such a rookie ass mistakes.
Speaker 1: Isn't like, see you weren't prepared. You should have been prepared or something like that. How did you feel shooting that shooting that scene?
Speaker 3: Were you like, well, I remember so stupid. I remember being so wildly insecure because I was like fitting with Lynn Paolow, like what I would be wearing the.
Speaker 1: Yeah and my.
Speaker 3: Boobs and like how high up were they? How low were they? And I just remember being like, ugh, being a girl is so stupid. Like it was just like very like I felt a little bit. I can remember feeling insecure about my like chest or what it looked like. I can remember that feeling.
Speaker 1: Of course, I wish we were all able to Like now, looking at these episodes that we shot so long ago, I'm like, damn, you look pretty good, gear, Imo, you look like but in the moment, you know what I mean, we're all so overly critical about our look looks or our weight or whatever. And then years passed and you're like, wait a minute, motherfucker. You look. Why didn't I enjoy myself a lot more when I was in that time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Macket photos all the time before I had two kids, and I'm like, why was I upset?
Speaker 1: Like? Yes, it was.
Speaker 3: My body was great, nice, I had nothing to worry about, Like, I can't believe I was so much harder on myself than It's so weird.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know what else I remember from this episode? Also, Katie is is again being on location and shooting, you know, outside of the studio. But also I remember always being like, oh, what food places will be around here that I can go to when we break for lunch instead of having the catered lunch. Is there a good pizza shop? Is there like a McDonald there a good.
Speaker 3: Burger place, So you are ridiculous of you. Wait, were we in Pasadena for the dry cleaning?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I think it was Pasadena. I want to say, yeah, I feel like I was it too.
Speaker 3: That's so fun And you're just scoping out, like, oh, what lunch spot? Am I going to go pick up my ship? Like and all you can eat buffet?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, there's nothing better than a fucking all you can eat bffet. There's one up here near where I live, at a hotel near Universal Studios. Have you ever been to it? No, it's right up the hill, like right past the entrance to go with you. What do you get everything, Katie? They got crab legs, they got oysters, they got Chinese food, they have creams, they have water addict.
Speaker 3: They have Mexicans like twenty four to seven, all of these options or like this comes out at five.
Speaker 1: It's only on the weekends. You have to make reservations like two weeks in advance because it's super popular and it gets super packed. It costs like seventy five bucks ahead, but it is so worth it, and you could get Bloody Mary's or whatever liquor you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything it was very cute. And then quinnin Hawk, she does pick up the dry cleaning and she checks his suit pocket and in fact there is a big, thick envelope filled with cash, and so they feel like it is the confirmation that he is the mole. There's money being exchanged for information. This guy is guilty, and we're like super on the trail. But now I have to like have this little monologue where I have to make sure he doesn't know that we're onto him, so I have to return the dry cleaning.
Speaker 1: Which you're so good in that scene. You're so good. You're like, oh, I'm such a dummy, Like I picked up my husband's dry cleaning, but I should. It's not gonna be ready till Saturday. And oh, you're so good. It's such it's such a fun cute little scene.
Speaker 3: Gee, Okay, we see that Fits and Olivia, who have been on the outs for many an episode that Fits calls Olivia because he's so fucking pissed about the Supreme Court nominee not going through, and it's basically he just feels like his entire presidency thus far has been a total shit show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a joke.
Speaker 3: It's just been awful, Like it's an embarrassment. They've gotten like nothing successful to pass through. They don't have the rest like the people who've been kidnapped, they don't have that. They have had a Supreme Court nominee. Like it's a total mess. And he calls Olivia and I feel like he's drunk, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's drinking his whiskey. Yeah, he's buzzed for show.
Speaker 3: And while they're calling, Live is watching Lisa Aiedelstein and her character's husband like fighting through the window of their house and you can just see like how broken both of these relationships are, and liv just says like or he says, you ruined me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then she's like he says something else to her, and then she says, I'm going to hang up, and he's like, yeah, you do that, and then he hangs out before her.
Speaker 3: Oh so mean. He's so like, I don't give a fuck about it, and he's so upset obviously, just to remind listeners out there, he's so upset because he knows that Live rigged the election. Yea, he knows that he's not the president that people voted for. And how do you live with yourself knowing that everyone you trusted betrayed you, and the country that you're supposed to run you didn't win fair and square.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I love in this episode to that the what's happening with.
Speaker 3: Uh, Lisa's character and her yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Her husband is sort of mirroring, you know, the strife that Olivia and Fits are going through. It's it's it's really nice, and it's throughout the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, throughout the episode. The two relationships are totally parallel mirrors to each other.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Yes.
Speaker 3: And then Lisa has the most incredible monologue after this phone call between Fits and Lives. She goes in and Lisa's just like sitting at the table by herself. Her husband has requested a praternity test to know if the daughter is his legitimate daughter, and Lisa is just fucking drinking wine out of the bottom of the bottle.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, And she breaks out another bottle and she's like, Olivia, you're gonna drink with me? And Livy's like, no, I can, I'm on the job. And She's like, girl, you are gonna drink with me?
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's such a great monologue, and Lisa's just so pro level it like looking like she's holding back tears, Like how do her eyes do that?
Speaker 1: They was weld up the whole time.
Speaker 3: Huge blue eyes that are perfect. That just the well up and not the release. And I so appreciate that skill set as an actor. I'm like, oh my god, it looks like she's on the verge of crying, but she's holding herself back and it's taking all of her guts to hold herself back. It's so good.
Speaker 1: This actresses is, I mean a pro. She She's been in so much shit. Look, she's been in Seinfeld, La law Er, Frasier, Homegirl, was in the movie The Doors. She had a really small role in the Doors, which is really memorable. She plays like the makeup artist to uh to nol Kilmer. Yes, yes, yes, yeah, but yeah, she's she's a stellar actor.
Speaker 3: And also this huge she's a huge theater actor. Huge yeah, huge New York theater actor. And then she had this show Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce. Oh I Got, which she's not like, right after Scandal, which she was the lead of. Really yeah, didn't Adelstein husband show or her ex husband? I think the one she divorces.
Speaker 1: The actor that plays her husband. His name is Jay Carnes and he's amazing too. He was on the Shield for forever. He did eighty nine episodes of the Shield, and I did an episode of the Shield called Blood and Water. So I got to work with him like years ago when I first moved to La Yeah, he's he's wonderful. And he was also when I was, you know, doing my research, he was in a movie with Madonna.
Speaker 3: Yes, movie of Madonna's was he.
Speaker 1: Called the Next Best Thing, which was the biggest piece. And shit, it's a the worst movie. Madonna's in it and the lead. She's the lead, she's one of the leads. But yeah, it's a terrible movie. But I thought it was so funny and so interesting that Jake Carnes is was in that film with her.
Speaker 3: Can we take a strong left turn at how amazing Madonna was in a league of their own?
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's one of my favorite movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, she was astounding.
Speaker 1: She really was. She really was.
Speaker 3: Joy and gravitas and dancing and ball busting and her and roso' donald. I could watch the two of those women do their side banter yea for hours, Like, Yeah, they were remarkable.
Speaker 1: They became really close friends on that film they did. Yeah. Yeah, they're still really really close friends to this day.
Speaker 3: Oh and we know this because Madonna's your best friend.
Speaker 1: Well, Adire, tell us something we don't know.
Speaker 3: We were singing Rose o' donald's praises so much this weekend because when you look, we like to this is so lame. We like to go on YouTube and watch when Broadway shows used to go on The roso' donald show and perform it, and we show them to our kids, like our kids really into the Lion King, and it's like, if you want to see the Lion King from Broadway perform two songs, usually it's from the o'donald's Show and like all the musicals of that time. And Adam was like, my god, Rosie was just such a Broadway a supporter supporter that she always had every show on her show. And it's like the only footage we have, and I'm like, I Adam's like, just fucking bow down to Rosie o'donnald. Like if we didn't have her in the Rosio o'donald Show, we wouldn't have any of these recordings.
Speaker 1: Well you know what I mean. But you know what, no one else was doing that on television much less daytime television, and and I think she she spiked ticket sales to a lot of these shows because people would see these performances and be like, oh my god, I have to go see that. I remember when Edwig and the Angry Inch first came out, she had John Cameron Mitchell and the Angry Inch on and they did they did a song our Engine Origin of Love, I think they did, and it was Yeah, she did this for so so many shows.
Speaker 3: She's amazing. That was so amazing. I saw a musical when I was studying abroad in London. I was studying in the Hill Academy of Dramatic as she was produced sing a musical about boy George called Taboo.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, Yeah. I was on Broadway for a short time.
Speaker 3: And she transferred it to Broadway and it did not It did unbelievable in England, Like it was one of those ones that I think Brits felt such a connection to boy George, like they're you know, they had they love him. And I don't think it. I don't think American Broadway audiences really connect to boy George. But I saw it in England when I was there, and I loved it and Bramma Rosie o'donald from making a stamp trying to bring it to America.
Speaker 1: I met Rosie O'Donnell when I went to New York years ago when when fucking Hillary Clinton was running for president and I was invited to go and do an introduction at one of the events where Hillary Clinton was going to be in it. And I was there and Rosie O'Donnell was there and I met Rosie and she was so so kind, so cool when she was a big fan of Scandal. Talked about Scandal.
Speaker 3: And Rosie O'Donnell come on on the show.
Speaker 1: I bet she would come on. I bet she love you.
Speaker 3: We love you, we really do, come on this podcast.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Lisa Edelstein and Carrie Washington are sitting drinking wine out of their bottles and they're lonely. That's what I wrote in my notes. It's like this is so lonely that betrayal really has a price, and that's where this episode is mirroring. It's like Lisa betrayed her husband by cheating on him, and Olivia betrayed fits by rigging the election, and they are so sort of left alone with their betrayal, and it's like all they have and their wine.
Speaker 1: I love I love that. Olivia is like, yeah, you betrayed him, but also at the moment, you did the best you could, You did the best you knew how you know? And she she's also I think she's trying to Olivia is obviously trying to heal herself with her own words as well. But yeah, yeaheah, super powerful.
Speaker 3: We've got a paternity test that we're waiting on, and then we moved to Fits is actually rating kosh Vhar with the Seal team, and he gets the hostages thanks to the Jake intel that Olivia delivered to him, and Fits makes the weirdest arm pos.
Speaker 1: Did you notice, oh when he's like happy that they that.
Speaker 3: They make like the fight power like or the what's that term?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, like this one the sort of fist up like yeah, yeah, yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Makes that sort of like it's like a perfect ninety degree fist in the air. It's very odd, like.
Speaker 1: A ninety degree Fits. Yo. I was gonna ask you, Katie. So Olivia provides this this information to Jake to give to Fits. Did she do that because she felt bad? For everything she's done because of the the rigging the election and all of that. I don't remember how that happened or why why she's giving Jake this information to give to the White House, right, I think that was part of it.
Speaker 3: I think they she did. She get the information because it was on that girl's computer who died next to David Rosen.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right right. They talk about that.
Speaker 3: It's something the episode the Mole or something was some of the information that was on the girl who was murdered next to David Rosen's computer because she was sleeping with all these dudes to get information, so she had some intel on that, and I feel like it's from that computer. I don't know why Olivia gives it to Jake, though, I guess, oh, it has to be because she is still wanting fits to be successful as a president, like she still like feels so bad, but like he is still the president and she's like, fuck if I just give this give out this information to save hostages, but also it's going to give his presidential you know run, such a such a bump and such a huge success, like yeah, you know, remember it's like when Obama got Osama bin Laden I mean, it was like a huge, huge moment. But anyway, I think that's why I wonder if this is based on that. Actually, I remember when we went to the White House to visit during one of the White House Correspondent dinners, and when you take a tour of the West Wing, the president I think is allowed to like change all the amazing black and white photos of their presidency that are featured in the hallways that you're walking up and down, and they have that huge famous photo of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton with her hands over.
Speaker 1: Her mouth in that situation room, but in the situation.
Speaker 3: Room right when they were about to find out if they got Osama bin Laden.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember Hillary Clinton got flack for like what she looked like in that moment because people thought she was like emotional.
Speaker 1: I'm like, fuck you, flack for everything. So this was definitely an ego boost for Fits when this he.
Speaker 3: Got finally gets a win, He finally finally gets a win. And then Jake I wrote, beats the shit out of a pop a razzi who got a pick of him and live uh huh uh huh. So when Olivia's passing Jake, this intel and this information. It's there's a paparazzi who's trying to get pictures of Lisa Edelstein's character and he manages to get a picture of Live and Jake and lives like it's fine whatever, but we also like, oh shit, Jake is fucked because fits can't know that Jake and Live were sort of like working together. Jake's playing all sides because he's shady, he is, and.
Speaker 1: Then there's this great scene where Jake goes and beats up this photographer to get the film. I was wondering that Jake, did Scott do that stunt? Did he do the beat up? Because because Jake is wearing a ski mask, so it could have been a stunt guy. But I don't remember if if Scott did it or if it was a stunt guy.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was Scott.
Speaker 1: But we'll ask Scott when he comes on the list, well put on the list of things.
Speaker 3: Like that Folly comes back. We got shit to ask him. Now. The lovely part of this is Harrison and Abby working together. They have an amazing like Gladiator. Oh this line that became famous, which was like Abby saying Harrison, it feels really bad that he broke up her relationship with David Rosa, because they really did have feelings for each other. And Abby's like totally nonchalantly throwing it all away and being like, whatever, it's fine. I just didn't know that we were gladiators first and people second.
Speaker 1: I love that she was so cold in this scene, and you could sense Harrison's desperation to try to get through to her to be like, hey, look what about our connection? And I love another line that he says to her. He says, you're exactly the same but completely different, and she's like, no, it's fine. I'm just now, I'm just aware of how this is going to work and moving forward. I'm you know, this is what I'm prepared for now. And he's like, ah, you could just feel his like, oh, is just feeling so bad and he just wants her back.
Speaker 3: And the whole time, they don't know if they're going to be able to save Lisa Aidelstein's marriage, but they're working their ass off to try to save her job, which is under scrutiny from the morality clause because they don't know if the CEO could have such a public affair and Harrison and Abbey go into a board meeting with an empty box and they put on this whole show like they've got dirt on all the board members and they're gonna start airing it out. And they've got to the count of three to decide if everyone's going to just put their dicks out on the.
Speaker 1: Table naked together. Yeah, all right, we're all gonna get naked together together. This is one of my favorite favorite scenes. It is so good. It's such a great like revenge scene, not revenge, but like it's such a satisfying scene.
Speaker 3: Because all these are taking these.
Speaker 1: Douchebags, all these white dudes are just sitting around being like, yeah, she fucked up. There's a morality clause and you know, Abby and Harrison come in and they're like, how innocent are all of you? Have any of you had you know, morality like issues, like what the fuck have you got done? Because we got it all in this box but they don't got shit in that box. But they all back down of course, because they're like, oh, just like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we been cheating right and left really bad shit.
Speaker 1: Such a great scene.
Speaker 3: It's a great scene. And then we jump to the paternity test. Information, he rips it up and he doesn't need or want to know because he is this girl's father, regardless whether it's biological or not. And Melly comes to Cyrus's office and you realize that Mellie and Cyrus are both on the outs with fits and that they're both being cheated on because they realize that the person who's having the late night meetings three times a week in the Oval office is Jake. Then Jake, Shaite, what say gee?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, But then Melly has a wonderful line where she's like, she actually says, he's not cheating on me, he's cheating on you, because you know, Melly, for a second thought, it was you know about him in Olivia, but it wasn't it. It's about this other dude, Jake Ballard, And she's like, the fuck, he's cheating on your ass, not mine.
Speaker 3: And then with the big like end of the episode, Jake goes to Live's house and does the creepiest my look to the camera where he knows he has got surveillance set up on her, and it's so creepy and we don't know what Jake's intentions are. We don't know why he's watching live. I mean we do because we know that Fits hired him to do so, but like we don't know if he's good or bad, or if he likes her, or if he's faking it, or like, what the fuck is this guy doing.
Speaker 1: People didn't know what to make of Jake, especially in the very beginning. People were like, totally hated the fuck out of him.
Speaker 3: Remember it was bad, hated him. And then the last second of the episode is that Osborne, who we think is the mole, looks at picks surveillance photos of Quinn at the dry cleaners. So Quinn didn't do a good job. It's talking at all.
Speaker 1: But those were some cute photos. I was like, Oh, she looks cute, she looks good. Yeah, those hot angle shots. It was good. You looked good, was you know what?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about you the whole time? Because there's all these scenes of Quinn walking up and down the street following him to the dry cleaner, and my skirt is just literally doing circles and circles.
Speaker 1: And circle damn pencil skirt.
Speaker 3: Around my fucking spanks like I used to be in spank shorts. Oh, and I was wearing my Jessica Simpson heels and those fucking pencil skirts that every time I took a step would just spin three sixties like this was supposed to be lying, you know, on myat It was just a mess. It was such a mess. Fun facts in this episode is that there's an editing edu Did you catch that editing error?
Speaker 1: I didn't until I read it in our notes.
Speaker 3: Fun facts editing error. Around minute twenty two and forty seconds, we watch from behind as Abby adjusts her purse and checks the time on her watch. The camera angle flips to her front and we watch her do the exact same motion again.
Speaker 1: I notice that all the time in movies and TV shows. But you know, it's it's so hard with the editing and the timing and when the actor does a certain motion and to do it at the exact same time on the you know, when they come from a different angle. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It can't be perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And in the CIA Director's fyi, they really do have shadows. As Huck describes the direct Director's Protective Staff DPS for short, is near the director twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty five days a year anyone who spends private time with the director is first vetted by his staff. They even live in the basement of the director's private home, although they do not freely roam the residence.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that fucking job? You just got to be down they're in the basement, Like what I just can't imagine down there?
Speaker 3: A refrigerator, shower?
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 3: Also, they can't take breaks to even poop, like they're busy watching the CIA director. And if they're safe, that sucks. I would never want to be the director of the CIA. That's alcohol solute who wakes up as a little boy or girl and says like I want to be the director of the CIA, right, And and.
Speaker 1: It probably is all top secret, right, Like they can't be like boast about something cool that they did at their job to like, you know, like a family party. It's all got to kept we kept secret.
Speaker 3: That's no fucking fun, no fucking fun.
Speaker 1: Oh is it that time?
Speaker 3: Tweet tweet tweet tweet tweets to the time? Okay scandal tweets at the time, We got one from the Queen herself. Kerrie Washington on March twenty first wrote to at Ty Lobby hashtag as scandal. How come Olivia gives this great advice to people but don't apply it to herself? And then she responded because she's human.
Speaker 1: That's right. And then we got another queen tweeting, wow is Judy Smith y'all? And Judy Smith tweets a crisis manager does offer comfort Olivia and I have a heart for those who need us hashtag scandal. Hashtag as scandal.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that so much too. Another queen tweet, Yes, yes she did, Katie lows, I'm kidding. I was waiting for it. She tweeted. In response to at Nikki five to eight wrote, lol did Quinn not remember lives? Too much cleavage comment ari the pink cardigan hashtag ask scandal, and I.
Speaker 1: Wrote, oops, yeah, that was in season one.
Speaker 3: She tells you much and she's in one episode one, Olivia Pope says too much cleavage. Originally, yeah, that was the pilot. Originally she was supposed to say your skirt's too short ooh. But when I went to the fitting, I told Linn Polo, I don't do short skirts. Hell no, so can we change it to cleavage?
Speaker 1: And we did nice, And then we have our Janey Pitts. Dash Murdoch tweeted, I just don't know how to feel about Jake. Is he a gladiator, manipulator, saboteur? Hashtag scandal hashtag scandal ABC. Yo, nobody knows at this point.
Speaker 3: Yo, nobody knows at this point, nobody knows how. I don't even know how I feel about Jake at half post TV tweeted, does the presidency come with a morality clause? Because I'm pretty sure fits is in breach. You could say scandle hashtag askue scandal. Another queen tweeted, gee, what does she say?
Speaker 1: Bellamy Young? Was she responding to Darby?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 1: She says, you handled it? Hashtag scandal ranked number one in prime time with one hundred in ninety one thousand tweets, topping what is that? Topping American Idol by sixty eight percent at one hundred and thirteen thousand tweets. So we've freaking beat out American Idol during this episode.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And Bellamy wrote the hashtag in response to it, hashtag gladiators roar remember that? Hashtag ladiators. You gladiators are the fucking best. You were the best, then you're the best.
Speaker 1: Now. Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Our next step episode is called Snake in the Garden and I don't remember what it's about. Do you remember what of that? No, nope, we may have a guest. We may not, but listen, gladiators. Thanks for roaring so loudly on March twenty second of twenty thirteen, and thanks for roaring so loudly now because we hear you guys are listening to this podcast. You're rewatching the fucking Hulu scandal stream it situation, and we're hashtag grateful, hashtag blessed.
Speaker 1: We love it so much. We thank you guys so so much. I was telling Katie, I'm I'm on Twitter a lot lately, and you guys are just messaging me left and right and commenting about how much you love unpacking your tool box. They're just saying they didn't realize they needed this in their lives so much. They're asking, like, when is Tony gonna be on that? We should have Tony and carry on on a podcast episode at the same time.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're going to do that.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea. A lot of people have been tweeting that they started doing the rewatch, but they got so into the show that they're on like season four now, and they're like, sorry, I'm way ahead, but I'm still, you know, listening to the podcast, and yeah, do yourselves a favorite people. If you guys have not started to rewatch Scandal or watch it for the first time, go on Hulu and it's it's on there and you could just watch the whole series. It's really really good.
Speaker 3: We love you all. Peace out, Lada, allgatas legats.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, love you bye bye. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 3: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.