Speaker 1: God's time to say your legs.
Speaker 2: The girls prison sits there. We will sit in tows the garner up Wednesday, August third, Peter. That's also known as the day after the trade deadline. We're recording this on the evening of August second. It was so much fun. We're not even general managers and we're draine just trying to keep up with what all the general managers as we're doing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you did, but I forgot about food and water basically the whole day. And after we finished our stream on YouTube, and we were streaming on TikTok, you know our guys, you know Elijah Ethan, Ryan Cole. I mean, so many people over here just baseball, updating the website NonStop, and we're gonna go over all the moves from the website. But man, I almost collapsed afterwards realizing, wait a minute, I have an eight. I don't think I've had a full glass of water all day. But man, what a day.
Speaker 2: It was so funny. It was we were just stimulated at all times. It was you know what was nice was yesterday was like the appetizer, right. It started to heat up in the afternoon. Jack and I tackled a lot of what went down on yesterday's kind of appetizer to the deadline, but today was nuts and Juan Soto we knew was the big domino that needed to fall before everything else started to fall into place. But it was up until the buzzer, or really after the buzzer, that we had several other trades go in. We're going to try to hit on every single trade if we can. We'll probably miss some minor moves here and there. We might not give the Luke Weaver trade as much time.
Speaker 3: But crazy thing is on yesterday's podcast, you literally did give it some time.
Speaker 2: So that's how crazy we are.
Speaker 3: We're saying that we're not going to go over all the minor moves, but you know we're going to sneak them in here because we have a storyline with each most likely like yeah, Luke Weaver Paul Goldschmith trade, remember that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is crazy. That guy did not pan out the way I think we thought he would, nor the Diamondbacks thought, and of course the Royals go out and get another arm. We're going to talk a lot about Juan Soda, but I think we got to start with your guy Robbie Grossman who heads over to the Braves. And it's so funny because we were talking about it from this perspective, who was going to be the player that gets acquired, that does what the Braves pieces did last year. Didn't necessarily have to be a guy to the Braves, but we were using the example of Solaer and the example of Rosario and how the Braves were able to kind of pick up guys that got hot at the right time. You identified Robbie Grossman, and funny enough, Robbie Grossman ends up being the guy that the Braves bring into town. Definitely a big help with Adam Duvall out for season and with Rosario seeming like he just is not right after coming back from a couple of different injuries and dealing with an eye issue as well, so hoping he gets better. But Grossman a very very good pickup for them.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty one, there were five players who had twenty home runs, twenty stolen bases, and a walk rate over ten percent. Robbie Grossman was one of those five, along with Shoheo Tani, Fernando Tatis, Junior, Jose Ramirez, and I forget the fourth.
Speaker 2: But here's probably good.
Speaker 3: He was probably good, pretty good type of company that Robbie Grossman was in. Now Robbie Grossman is not going to give you that level of production and he has not shown that level of production.
Speaker 2: Again this year.
Speaker 3: But remember Eddie Rosario was not that good before he came over the Braves. Jorge Solaire I felt like was striking out at a forty percent rate before he went over to the Braves. And then Eddie Rosario becomes the NLCSMVP, followed suit by Jorge Solaire who becomes the World Series MVP. I believe that was the most underrated deal at the deadline. They didn't give up much and they got a guy who has that level of potential. And it's not just that Robbie Grossman hasn't been playing that well this season. We're going to talk about the Tigers a little bit farther in this episode, and right now, it seems like the Tigers woes is organizationally right. Nobody in their lineup is playing well, not one. So you go through it and you think maybe a change of scenery can get a Robbie Grossman back to at least close to that level of potential he showed last year that level of production. I really like the move for the Braves adds a ton of depth there. He's not gonna wow you on the base pass. He's not gonna wow you in the outfield either, but he's gonna give you consistent good at bats and come playoff time, I think he's going to be I think he's going to make a difference there in Atlanta. I love the move there for the Braves, and it makes sense, right. You feel like they're the kings of finding the diamonds in the rough at some of these points, and I believe they found one in Robbie Grossman.
Speaker 2: Oh, you talk about the struggles in Detroit. I mean it's from the veterans. It's from guys that we were expecting to make big leaps, from Heimer Condolario to Spencer Torkos into even Riley Green, you know who has slowed down a little bit since getting up there. Habi baias the big prize free agent. Everyone has struggled. So I think getting out of there is definitely something that should help. And of course we know it's a difficult place to hit. The Braves also add Jacob Deerizi, which I think is an underrated pitching depth kind of acquisition as well. They swap him for Will Smith. That's some reliever help for the Astros. Well, two contending teams in opposite leagues help each other, and I think that's that's a low key move that could be quite helpful. Do you want to go straight into Soto or it's kind of stick with the smaller moves and save Sodo for last.
Speaker 3: Let's save it a little bit because that was an interesting move there too, because they did give up Will Smith for Jake Odorizzy in that deal, but then they got rossil Iglesias. We might as well just cover this team now, because these were some very interesting moves here by Alex Tantopolis, who seems to just have it up here. He just went over the Austin Riley extension. I mean, great deal for both sides, and another one. Will Smith is a good reliever. But I would say they upgraded there with Vasila Glacias and then they get a guy like Jake Odorizzy who's probably not going to pitch you know, Game four of the of the World series, but you never know, right, Because Tucker Davidson even had to slot in in Game five as the starter. Jake Odoizzy has been there, done that. He's a good addition. Then they upgrade in the bullpen. Braves didn't have a super exciting deadline. They didn't need to be a very good one, I thought. No, I agree, they didn't need to do anything crazy. Team's really good.
Speaker 2: They already made their biggest addition they needed internally, which was calling up Michael Harrison and having him perform Strider. Is kind of satisfied a need for them. They only needed to make some of those small moves. Oder Rizzy's really going to help them in the regular season too. You talk about him not taking the ball in a Game four of the World Series. I agree, but that's a guy that kneed Ennings, you know, in relief spots or you know, if you have to start him in the playoffs, you can. But he's going to help them get through, you know, the rest of this regular season, because they struggled a little bit with keeping the rotation together and at times have had some vacant spots there. I really like what they did with the bullpen. You assume Kenley Jansen's going to be back soon. Riise Ella Glacias I mean, there's a lot of guys you trust there and Will Smith has struggled for them, so I think I agree it's a good swap, and they're a better team than they were prior to the deadline. They didn't need to make any crazy moves and they're gonna be another threat just like they were last year.
Speaker 3: And also just the lefty righty stuff. I mean, Will Smith is a lefty, Mintor is a lefti Matsik is a lefty. They get a righty in return in ross A Iglesias, which they didn't have a ton outside of Kenley Jansen. Just overall, Alexanthopolis again is proving he's one of the best gems in the sport.
Speaker 2: Oh we talked about that in the last episode. He is just amazing. And whether it's the small moves, the big moves, the extensions, the pre arms signing, it's all really good stuff from Alexanthopolis. And I think maybe Alavila, like he talked about on the last game, could take a note or two or a thing or two from what Alexanthopolis is doing in bo and Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Tigers for a second, because we have a ton of big moves. Of course we're going to get into but let's cover the Tigers for a second. I think the most disappointing team of the deadline. You might be a Cardinals fan and be disappointed in your team too. You could be a Blue Jays fan disappointed. I'd understand if you're disappointed as a Guardians fan. And we're going to talk about White Sox. I mean, we can talk all day, but the Tigers. You have so many bullpen pieces. You have so many pieces that you could end up dealing on offense, even starting pitching, you could have gotten rid of, like a Michael Pineda for example. You did really nothing. You gave away Michael Fulmer in a deal that you know, you know, I'd throw it over to you for the prospects. But I can guess that they didn't do a very good job there, just in hindsight, just assuming what the Tigers have been up to lately. You know, they didn't deal Chafin, they didn't deal Soda, they didn't deal Joejamenez. They dealt Robbie Grossman, who I believe maybe you should have kept as one of the better offensive players on your team. The Tigers, again, we were talking in the live stream. I would never want to call for a general manager's job. Alaviland never want to call for a general manager job. So I'm just not going to say anything. I think that leaves it at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little ro in Detroit, and they were open to make a big step in the right direction. That's why they signed Hobby Baias. But it's it's not looking that working. No, not good, and the prospects are not performing and they've got a lot to figure out in a lot of overhauling, I think to do within the system. You look at the Brewers. They subtract Josh Hater, which we talked about in the last episode. They get a good return, but it was a head scratcher because it's a first place team trading an all star closer. But they do add another reliever, and we know Devin Williams is a capable closer. Although did you see that clip of Devin Williams in the clubhouse? They were reporters were asking him what he thought about the trade, and obviously he's he's expected to be that the closer now and he didn't seem thrilled about it. He's not thrilled that he's going to be the closer. He's not thrilled, he's just upset that Josh Hater, one of the integral parts of their team, has been subtracted. And I thought that was pretty pretty interesting to see. He said I want to win, and I think that was all he really needed to say.
Speaker 3: I think it was there. It was one of those press conferences that you have to watch Devin Williams say the words. If you listen to it on the radio, it may have come off as maybe a little nonchalant. Not nonchalant, but just you know, he's not very vocal. He's not calling out anybody. He's just kind of sitting there. Depressed is the word.
Speaker 2: The silence was deafening.
Speaker 3: The short islence was deafening. That is the perfect way to describe it. He's just shrugging his shoulders, thinking to himself, how could they do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want to win. And this is a guy that, remember he feels like he cost his team last postseason with punching the wall and you know, breaking his hand, and I'm sure he's very keen on winning now. And they subtract Hater, they do add Matt Bush, and I love Matt Bush's story. Obviously, the former number one overall pick is a shortstop makes his way back after a time in jail. I mean, just an unbelievable story. It's been a really good reliever and he's enjoying a really good year this year. Brewers at him to the fold and now of Williams Rogers Bush. They still have a good back end of that bullpen there and it helps. He's not Josh hater, but it's a good addition. And you know they didn't have to give up too much to get him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, let's be real armed. Come on, what did the Brewers need to do and what didn't they do? The Brewers needed to add a fucking bat? Yeah, and what didn't they do? Add a bat? Yeah, and we're going to talk about how the padres.
Speaker 2: And they just didn't do it.
Speaker 3: And you know, for lack of a better word, the Brewers didn't add a fucking bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's all we have to say about that. All they did was add a story. Ruiz, who you know, is a is a minor leaguer at this point, he's played a little bit in the bigs. Long term, could be a good piece, But I think they're hoping that he can impact them now and do something now, which is which is crazy. I don't know how the Brewers didn't add a bat. It's a little bit surprising, but I will say they are sneaky good if you look at runs per game, better than people would have expected. I want to rephrase one thing I said. I actually said that they didn't give up that much. Let me reverse that. I was surprised that they gave up Antoine. Kelly pitched in the futures game, probably a reliever long term, but a lefty who is really nasty, came back from an injury and they part with him to get a Matt Bush. So a good get there for the Texas Rangers. We'll stay on the reliever track. Peter another kind of surprising, but not maybe maybe not awe striking, but we didn't know what the Orioles were going to do. They ultimately part with their closer in Jorge Lopez, an All Star this year for four minor leaguers Kaide Povich the headliner, and Yennier Cano, Juan Nunez and Juan Rojas. It's a good return. It's four pitchers, which again Baltimore needs arms, and they added six arms or so at this deadline, and some really good ones. I like this move for Baltimore. Of course, you want to see them go for it. They didn't burn it down right. They traded Mancini, who was going to be gone probably in the offseason. They sell high on a closer, and they get six pitching prospects, which again they really needed. There's still a good team that. Let's be real, even if they sneak in the playoffs, what are they doing there? They're trying to build sustainable success. As much as I wanted to see them go all in, I don't hate it.
Speaker 3: I do wish the Orioles got a more marquee prospect in return for Jorge Lopez. In my opinion, I don't think they need that much depth, because, oh my god, do they have depth. I mean, they have one of the most vast farm systems in baseball. I look at that trade and I think, to myself, are any of those guys big leaguers?
Speaker 2: You know? I don't know.
Speaker 3: You hope so. But I feel like in a trade for Jorge Lopez, even one marquee prospect, in my opinion, would have been better. In a deal like that, if we're talking about a team like the Royals or you know another team that needs.
Speaker 2: Depth like that. I don't feel that the Orioles need depth like that. Need arms here, they need arms. So they just went out and got Seth right in the trainman scene. He's the third best pitching prospect now, So you know, I think they look at it and we need pitching depth in this system. Let's get it while we can without depleting, you know, some of our better assets because everybody else is too valuable and controllable. These are the guys that I think they're okay with parting with, but I don't hate it.
Speaker 3: Do you think would you have rather them got the like a Seth Johnson in a deal like that for a Jorge Lopez or do you prefer they got more four lottery ticket guys where you're hoping one could be a big leaguer instead of one of the best pitching prospects for the Minnesota Twins. Because I thought the Minnesota Twins did really well in that deal.
Speaker 2: You know, I I think I think povich Is is a big league arm right. I mean, this guy's probably in their top twenty. Put up some good numbers this year. It's tough to gauge the value on a breakout reliever like that, so I agree, like, if they could have got one guy, absolutely I would have had I would have went quality over quantity. I don't know if that was an option there, That's my point. It could have not been an option. That's kind of where I was at. But I'm good with them getting arms. They're in a situation where I'm like, if you can get arms, get freaking arms. And they did, so they're still in a good spot. I think they can still make a little bit of an Orioles push, and I think they might call up some other guys to reinforce this run here, and I'm kind of excited to see how they decide to manage Gunner Henderson and Triple A and Jordan Westberg and Triple A and Kyle Stowers and Triple A. They've got a lot of prospects that could be some reinforcements down the stretch here.
Speaker 3: And then on the Twins side, they did real well. I mean, getting Jorge Lopez, who is having that breakout yere who looks like a real closer, maybe not playoff type closer, but at least a very very good bullpen arm. And then if he can't close, you get Michael Fulmer too. So they did a great job. And we can even get into Tyler Malley if we want to just go straight into their let's just twins, because yeah, I might as well just do twins because they get Tyler Malley. And this was an arm at the deadline that I thought a lot of teams should be in on, and a lot of teams were in on him because it was clear with Tyler Malley he couldn't pitch a great American, which I've said up before is basically a space station. You're basically dealing with another version of coors Field. He's always had these crazy splits where he's pitched much better on the road.
Speaker 2: You get him out.
Speaker 3: But it seems like the prospect package they did give up, at least going back to the Reds was pretty sizable. But the Twins are in a good position now, especially with the other teams in their division not making it. But the prospects that went over are pretty solid, especially that young second basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they get Spencer Steer, who you know, I love Steer for the Reds. Right, this is a guy with above average power, but hits so much that he produces a lot of home runs and has said over twenty home runs already this season. I love guys like that. John India was kind of in that same ballpark where it's above average power but will really play up at Great American. He's also again close to big league ready. And then they get Christian and Carnassio on Strand, who, holy crap, does he have power. Twenty five pumps this year he won four to eighty four. He has nine home runs four hundred and twenty feet or further. And then Steven Hager, who is Michigan guy, really has looked good left handed pitcher. All guys that the Twins are okay with parting with right like. None of those guys are elite, elite prospects for them. Steers kind of blocked with the emergence of Miranda. With the other guys that they have, it's a perfect trade for both sides. Red system is now clear cut top three in my opinion, and they get somebody that can help the big league team as soon as this year, probably for sure next year. I'm sure he'll get caught up before the end of the season. But man, dude, the Twins, they really separated themselves. We talk about the Guardians didn't do anything the Twins. You mentioned the relievers. They get the starter, they didn't really need any bats that they're fine coosing. Miranda's going nuclear right now. That's all they really needed to do, and they shore up with kind of all the questions that we had for them. What do you think the Twins are at now? I mean, I think they're going to easily win the division because Guardians were asleep at the wheel, But where do you think they stack up with some of the best teams in the AL. They're obviously not there with the Yankees and the Astros, but they made themselves a lot better and I think they've got a shot to make some noise.
Speaker 3: My problem with the Twins is I didn't really believe in their pitching, both in the starting rotation and in the bullpen. What did they do address both needs?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: In the bullpen they look really strong. Starting rotation Tyler Mallley is, like I said, a good pick up there, but still looking at this rotation, I'm not totally sold to the fact where I'm going to put them with the Yankees and the Astros. Like we said, I still do think that the Blue Jays are better. I think the Mariners separated themselves. But besides that, they're right there with the Rays, and I do think that they're going to win the division now and that they're going to make it a tough series again to team like the Mariners, because I still do think they have a better offense than the Mariners do. With the Blue Jays, you know that one might be tough. The Blue Jays might be better than them. I'd probably say that they are. But still, the Twins went from oh yeah, they're an exit first round to know they're going to compete in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I agree. You know, when you go from pitching Dylan Bundy in Game three to Tyler Mallley or you know, Joe Ryan, however you want to stack it up, that's a big difference. It's a big, big, big difference. So I'm really excited about what's happening with the Twins. And again, it's just better for baseball when teams like Minnesota, teams like Seattle I wish Cleveland would have went for it, are trying to put themselves in that same conversation and make themselves competitive. The best part about the offense too, is I love the balance. You have a bat to ball guy like a Ray Is, you have a big time big bopper like Byron Buckston who's dynamic, and then Korea. I still really think is going to get going here down the stretch. And we know he's one of the best postseason players already ever, which is crazy given how many games he's played. He's been one of the best postseason players we've seen. By the time he's done playing, he will be one of the all time leaders in almost every postseason statistic for shorts. Tops will be there with Derek Jeter, I think, because he's going to continue to get there. And now the Twins but very serious, excuse me, so I'm really excited to see, you know, what their long term plan is with him and what he ultimately does. But right now the Twins are going for it, and I think they're trying to convince him to stay. So Wan Soto time, it's Won Sodo time. I mean, we said it, we thought Proer was gonna do it. He does it. It was a haul, It was a pretty penny. It sounded like that the Cardinals were down to the wire as well. So we're the Dodgers. Cardinals didn't want to part with the top prospects and Dylan Carlson say what you want about that. The Padres were willing to do whatever it took, and the full trade breakdown is pretty wild and it's almost exactly what everybody thought it would be, though, which is the funny part. Give or take, you know, a couple maybe different guys here or there, but it's pretty wild that it was basically exactly what we thought it would be with all of the pieces. It's headlined by c j Abrams and Mackenzie Gore, Robert Hassel the Third, James Wood, Harlan Susana, and then also Luke Voit. We've never seen a prospect and just overall return like that for a player. Obviously Josh Bell included in that too, but we've never seen a return like that in baseball history.
Speaker 3: The biggest trade in baseball history, I've heard, you know, you can talk about the Ruth trade, but that was a sale at the end of the day. That was Babe Ruth being sold to the Yankees for about one hundred thousand dollars in order to get a theater production off the ground. If I'm not mistaken. You could go through history and find them Galcabrera trade in two thousand and six. You could find a lot of other trades like that. But this is trading for a young Hank Aaron. This is trading for a young Won Soto. This is a player on the trajectory towards the Hall of Fame and Arm. I'm gonna rant here for a second because I'm kind of pissed off at the Nationals. Why I think they got fleeced. Did not fleeced, of course, not fleeced, But I do think that you could have gotten all of those different prospects for Juan Soto by himself. I say why Nationals because they included then Josh Bell in the deal also, and I feel that they could have put Josh Bell in another package in order to get more prospects in the deal. Like do you think that the Padres if Mike Rizzo, the GM at the Nationals, said we want Gore Abrams Wood Hassle for Juan Soto, would they have said no? Probably not. Then you could have gotten another top one hundred prospect, maybe even a top fifty prospect for a guy like Josh Bell. I know he's a rental, but he's still one of the best switch hitters in the entire sport. We saw what was being floated for Wilson Contreres, like Josh Bell has been, if not better of a hitter than Wilson Contreras. I was sitting here thinking why, why why? Because they added Josh Bell on top of it. Was it an enormous package? Yes, but I thought the Padres easily won this deal. Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, anytime you get a Hall of a guy that's good looking, like a Hall of Fame or you're gonna win the deal. But you know, I don't think Josh Bell gets you that crazy of a return. He's good, but Wilson Contreras is a catcher, Josh Bell's first base slash dh at. He probably gets you a maybe one fringe top one hundred guy. I really don't think he gets you that much. I'll get JD. Martinez. He doesn't end up getting moved because they feel like the competitive balance pick that they're going to to get basically for the QO, for the qualifying offers better. I think they made out great. I don't know how you could ever get more than this. Sure, if you separate Bell, you know, you can maybe squeeze out another prospect, But they also get Luke Voyd. And I know Luke Void's not the sexiest player in the world, but he's under control until what twenty twenty five, so they could flip him down the line as well.
Speaker 3: But does he factor much into the plans either. I guess I'm under the assumption that I thought Josh Bell would get more of a return than a fringe top one hundred because I think we talked about top switch hitters in baseball and he was number two. I mean, he's hitting over three hundred. He seems to be a force in the lineup. He's gonna hit fourth for the Padres. I think he's going to be a great addition for them too, Like Josh Bell is a clear upgrade over Luke Voight. And I just thought that you could have gotten that package for Sodo by himself, and that if Mike Rozo really wanted to trade Josh Bell, then he'd probably get a top seventy five type aspect for a Josh Bell.
Speaker 2: I think there's a reason why we didn't say c JD c JD moved or Contraras moved or hat moved. I don't know. I just I think there's the return was not Maybe is Bell is better than all of them right now as a bat then JD Martinez.
Speaker 3: JD Martinez is swinging hurt right now. He has really kind of fallen quickly. You know, he's in three forty a little while ago, and it seems like he hasn't really been able to hit it all lately. I you know, you know, we've been talking to Red Sox guys too. You know, we hold our Twitter space and we have a lot of Red Sox fans, and it's like, I want to take JD. Martinez basis because I think he's going to break out of it. And I'm just consistently told from Red Sox fans don't do it, dude, Like don't, don't do it. He is swinging hurt and he does not look like the same guy. And Josh Bell is probably the worst space runner in baseball, at least by the numbers he is, but I think that he's he was a better bat than Wilson Contreras at least right now. And I think he's a better bat than JD. Martinez is right now. Josh Bell is one of the better hitters in the National League this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's been solid, but again it's a DH so he's limited again. But that's also for the most part, I think splitting hairs because you're getting what is the biggest return in baseball history. So you're getting a controllable young starter in Mackenzie Gore. You're getting a top twenty five prospect in Robert Hassel, You're getting a top ten prospect in tj. Abrams, you're getting a top fifty or sixty prospect in James Wood, a quality prospect in Harlan and Susana, and then Luke Voyd, who you could probably flip for, you know, a middle level prospect down the line. I don't know how you could do much better than that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Yes, the Nationals, I mean they didn't get fleeced. I said that as more for dramatic effect, but it's just because I was pretty emotional after seeing the trade. Because we both know this too that normally in baseball you can count on one hand the trades where you traded away a super superstar, got back a big pile of prospects and it ended up not working out for the team that got the big super superstar. That's I guess where I'm coming from too, And then you added Josh Bell on top of it.
Speaker 2: What would have been a return that was that would suffice? I mean, we don't know all of the returns. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, if the Cardinals were didn't want to trade Jordan Walker, that was clear because they believe that, you know, he could be the next Airon Judge. But I don't know what the rest of the packages were, like, for example, from the Dodgers, if they got a Gavin Lux and you know, four of their top prospects, you know, Bobby Miller, Michael Bush, Miguel Vargas, I.
Speaker 2: Like this package better, Okay, you know, I trust you.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that that that felt like to me at least with a CJ. Abrams he could be he could be end up being much better than a Gavin Lux. But but it's you know, Gavin Lux was the number two overall prospect for a little while and seems to be he's been bring it out in LA and CJ. Abrams just doesn't look completely ready yet. And Mackenzie Gore has just been dealing with shoulder stuff and it's worrisome because he has looked elite and can be elite. But I'm looking at him coming over to Washington like I hope they can then, you know, kind of fix him around and hopefully they make him good. But it's not like they've been that great with pitching development lately either, you know, with James Wood.
Speaker 2: Is still far off and Robert Hassel.
Speaker 3: I do think it's gonna be good, Like clearly, I think he's gonna be good too, But you know, I just think that the Nationals are Yeah, the Nationals weirdly could have done better in this deal and they gave up Josh Bell because if that was the package just for Wan Soto, very big trade, good all around. But the thing is for me throwing in Josh Bell. I feel like he has more value than maybe you think, and maybe we just might disagree on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, it's it's tough with the d H guys. You know, teams are weird about it. But I agree. I mean, he's in all leads now, I agree, but it's weird JG doesn't get traded like why why not? I think when you look at the ultimate like the return in general, it's one of those things where you're never gonna get the value for Juan Soto. You're never it's just never gonna happen. You're gonna lose when you trade one Soto. It's a guaranteed loss almost unless these guys all reach their their absolute ceiling. And I know James Wood's ceiling is is cragit Aaron Judge, but he is so far off from that. Like there's so many things that can happen. You're taking your best shot. And I'd assume that the Nationals took the best offer, and I just floored that the Padres again make that move. Let's talk about the Padres real quick from that lens, and then I want to talk Joey Gallow real quick. The Padres. Now they become freakish. It's insane what they are now. Uh that three four five two three four whatever it's gonna be of Sodo, Tatis, Machado and now Josh Bell even, I mean that stacks up with just about anybody in baseball.
Speaker 3: They're unbelievable. Now they're probably still gonna be a wild card team. And the getting Fernando Tatis Junior back and healthy and looking like Fernando Tacis Junior is also.
Speaker 2: Huge for them.
Speaker 3: But if you look and now they have Josh Hater closing games for them and in the playoffs, he's gonna be used a ton. And who else do you want besides Josh Hater? Maybe Edwin Diaz right now, but over the past couple of years, Josh Hater has been that guy.
Speaker 2: And still in the back end, that's who you want.
Speaker 3: But you work in now with you know, Joe Musgrove and you Darvish and Blake Snell, and then you have Josh Hater in the back end. And with the one, two, three four of Fernando Tashis Junior, one Soto, Manny Machado, then Josh Bell, it's hard to beat. And you know, I was saying, Cardinals versus Padres, who would you rather want? And this was obviously before the deadline, But now, I mean it's is it even close?
Speaker 2: Is not?
Speaker 3: Evenudrezy blew them away? And the Cardinals had more of a lackluster deadline. I mean, they didn't do bad, but they definitely didn't separate themselves. And now the Padres put themselves right there with the Astros, the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Mets and the Braves as one of the premier teams who can definitely win a World Series.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And we'll get to the Cardinals in a second, cause they didn't make some lower key moves. And a familiar face for you is heading over to Saint Louis, but real quick, a familiar face is heading out. Joey Gallo. We knew what was happening. You know. I was reading some stories interviews with Joey Gallo and they made me sad. Peter, I mean you you have been very fair, So I'm not when I mentioned Yankees fans has nothing to do with you, but you know, I think we really lose touch with the human side of things. And Joey Gallows saying, and I'm paraphrasing, but saying that he doesn't really leave his home or his apartment in New York because he doesn't want to be seen on the streets and he's embarrassed and he feels, you know, he's he's more upset than any Yankee fan is about what's going on. You get mad at Joey Gallo after watching the game, then you go on with your life. Joey Gallow's got to live that struggle and feel that struggle day to day. And I know he's making a lot of money to play a kid's game, but it is overwhelming when you have an entire city, you know, and the big Apple you know on your back. I'm excited for Joey Gallo to get another chance. I'm rooting for him and I hope he does well. But from a trade perspective, Yankees get a good arm Clayton beaters electric, big swing and miss stuff walks a lot of guys, probably a reliever. But I mean, I'm just it's good to see the Yankees getting armed back because they did trade a lot of arms out over the last couple of days. And the way they've developed guys, Beeter could be similar to the way they've been able to Maybe hone in Medina's command a little bit, maybe they can do it with Peter. If not, they've got Oh why is a good type of reliever. I think he could be.
Speaker 3: In short spurts, I was almost thinking he's kind of like a Ron Marty Nacho, Yeah type of reliever. That's that's kind of how I was phrasing it, you know. On TikTok Live, I was like, Who's this Clayton Beeter guy. And I said, just think Ron Mardy Nacho. That's kind of the guy that you got back, maybe a younger version. Maybe he won't be as good because Marie Nacho's stuff. He's a freak show, fucking believable. He's a feel wisea is a better kind of guy like that. Maybe you know Lewisca started for a little bit but just didn't have the command, couldn't hold the vello. Maybe that's a Clayton beat. Maybe his velo even ticks up as more of just a dominant bullpen arm. And yes, Joey Gallo is gone. He's not a Yankee anymore. And Yankee fans are probably happy about that, and Joey Gallo is probably happy exactly.
Speaker 2: And but at the same time he goes to Lost Angel. Yeah, it's not that much easier of a market I was thinking about, not really.
Speaker 3: And they're gonna be in big time spots too. I mean, Joey Gallo was great on the Rangers. If Joey Gallo went to a team that probably won't make the playoffs, you'd probably see.
Speaker 2: Joey Galla return or even Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: Or even Milwaukee, a team like that even the Twins. Yeah, but he goes right back into the thick of it across the country with fans who are not just forgiving. I mean, as much as chill LA is, it's not that chill when you see fifty thousand fans packed every single night expecting greatness.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 3: So I'm interested to see how gallow does. But it's also the Dodgers. Yeah, the Dodgers who can unlock anybody. I mean, the Yankees have been able to unlock basically everybody. Matt Carpenter has as many home runs as Freddie Freeman. That stat in itself is nuts. But a change of scene, new set of eyes, new ideology and.
Speaker 2: Hitting coaches and like, let's be real, Joey Gallo has always been a swing and miss guy. But Joey Gallo has proven that he is a competent big league power hitter and that's still in there. He's not thirty six slowing down. There's just there's something off mentally, and I think just change of scenery will help. And I think a little bit less responsibility. I don't think he's going to be playing every single day and expected to do what the Yankees were expecting him to do in the early going. I know his role was diminished, but at that point it's still you're in the same spot and you're trying to fight back to what you were supposed to do. I'm excited to see what he's gonna do with the Dodgers. It's a low risk acquisition for them and hopefully, you know, the defense will kind of tick back up again and he can at least provide some value there. But really a no brainer move for both sides, and I think both sides are better off after the trades, so does not hurt for either team. Don't to get to the Cardinals, get to the Cardinals. Before we just get to the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: I do want to just quickly wrap up on the Soto thing because I feel like we were ending and I didn't ask you this follow up question, like do you think that the Nationals did as much as they could and that not that they didn't lose the trade? I guess do you think the Padres won the trade? Like what's your take back, because of course they got back the biggest prospect package of all.
Speaker 2: Time, and as they should have.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking to myself, I feel like they could have even gotten more in this deal because James Wood is such a lottery ticket, could be Aaron Judge, could never make the majors. We don't know yet, and with all the question marks I guess surrounding Mackenzie Gore, I just thought to myself, I feel like the Padres definitely won this deal, but maybe to you you feel like it was more even sided than I do, because we have different opinions, and that's cool, that's fun.
Speaker 2: I think anytime you trade a Hall of Famer, you're going to lose the trade. I think that, you know, the second the National were ready to trade Juan Soto, they lost right, But they had to trade him. It seemed like that that he wasn't even going to be a guy that they were able to keep anymore. And you know, for Gore, it's like a low grade elbowst train. I don't think they're like extremely concerned about that. I think he should be fine. He proved to be able to pitch pretty darn well at the big league level. But again, when you're getting Hassel Gore and then Wood, who John Hayman said was a big, big sticking point in these conversations because the Padres really like him, and the Nationals very much wanted him. If the Nationals could have done better, they would have. You know, you are dangling the most valuable trade chip to really ever hit the open market. Everybody's putting in their best offers. That was the best offer, and at the end of the day, you got to take it. And I think it was a pretty damn good haul. Again, we've never seen anything like that. I'll take a lot of money on Robert Hassel being a decent big leiguer, take a lot of money on c. J. Abrams being a decent big leiguer. And I'd put a lot of money on Kenzie Gore being a decent big league starter. You get three big leaguers in a trade that's usually pretty damn good. And whatever James Wood can be is really exciting. That's your flyer. And then again, we'll see what they do with Luke Void. I mean, he's a big power bad if he can get going, maybe they trade him next deadline, maybe they trade him in the off season. We'll see what they get for him. And Susanas no slouch either. I think they did the best they could and that's all you can really do. There's only so many teams that are even capable of putting a package together like this, that's fair. I guess.
Speaker 3: Also with Gore, I mean he finished or he didn't finish, because he's probably going to pitch again this season, I guess for the Nationals.
Speaker 2: But he had a four or five zero era.
Speaker 3: He wasn't carving through the major leagues in his first you know, cup of coffee in the bigs. But I'm also not going to judge him on that. I do also think that he could be a really good starter in this league. I guess I'm just more worried about him long term, especially going over to Washington. And you know, I like Abrams a lot, that's clear. I like Hassle a lot that's clear. I just think James Wood could be amazing or could flounder. I don't know much about the young kid that they got. And then Luke Vod I feel like, is not going to be a difference maker. I look at a team like the Cardinals, even not giving up Jordan Walker, you know, if they were to include Mason Win, Dylan Carlson, Matthew Libertwort, Nolan Gorman, I almost I don't know, and maybe then another piece on top of that. I don't know if that trade is better than what the Padres could have given them, but a lot of people are high on the Padres prospects too well.
Speaker 2: And the thing too, though, is the reports were that the Cardinals were not willing to part with Carlson and the top prospects. So I thought it was just Jordan Walker that they were not willing to part. It was Carlson and the time it was one or the other. So you're getting you're getting Walker and you're not getting Carlson, or you're getting Carlson and you're not getting Walker, And that was where they wouldn't budge, and that's why he is a Padre. So yeah, I think if they would have offered that, maybe we would have saw something different. But ultimately, the Cardinals, as we've talked about now for like a year, just won't borrow with their guys. Man, if they won't do it for Juan Soto, I don't think they do it for anybody on Earth. But at least they got close and they considered it. They did make some smaller moves though, and they go out and get Jose Kingtana, which we talked about at the end of the episode. It happened literally as we recorded at the end of yesterday's episode. But then they went and got your boy Jamon and Jaymon struggled. But he's a really good pitcher. You've said that for a while. I agree with you, and the more you know, I've continued to watch this guy. He's steady Eddiots. That's what's a little bit surprising that he struggled a bit as of late. I mean, you you can talk about this more. The four is yours, but I think the Cardinals are getting a pretty good middle of the rotation starter here when he's right.
Speaker 3: So here's the reaction from Twitter. And sometimes you know, Twitter is Twitter at the end of the day, but you can hear raw fans emotion and I think for both sides this sentiment will make you feel good about it who you're getting. Yankee Twitter is very upset of trading Jordan Montal that's good. Cardinals Twitter is very upset about trading Harrison Bader. Harrison Bader clearly will now slot in as the best defensive outfielder that the Yankees have outside of Jose Travino, probably the best defender on their roster.
Speaker 2: He is that good in centerfield.
Speaker 3: When we say gold glove caliber, just gold glove level. One of the best defensive center fielders and will be in an average bat And I do think that he'll be back in time for October, because I've heard middle of September, late September is when he's supposed to be back. He's really there for October. Now, who are the Cardinals getting? Just like you said, Steady Eddie, almost what you kind of hope Matthew Liberator will be exactew Liberator.
Speaker 2: You'd he's becoming for Steven matt or Steven Matt's.
Speaker 3: But more than likely Liberaltre will be a Jordan Montgomery type. What's a Jordan Montgomery type? Five six innings, a three seven era, and a guy who you can consistently rely on to not blow up. That's what Jordan Montgomery gives you in a great on a great team, He's probably a four. On a good team, he's a three. He can throw in the playoffs for you. He's going to be better than a good amount of the arms that they have currently. He gives them a steady presence that the Cardinals really do need. So on both sides, I like the deal, even though both sides are reluctant to give up those players, and that's a perfect indication of how each player means to their fan base.
Speaker 2: You hit the nail on the head. I mean, this was a trade that they can don't tap into theirs, which is just funny, but this was a much needed piece for them. I mean, you can't feel good about some of the guys that they were rolling out there, and especially with Matts's injury issues and just not being good when he's on the field, Liberator just not looking quite ready. Jamon is going to help them kind of get across the finish line and hopefully make the playoffs three six nine ERA three nine to one fit last year at three eight three ERA three six nine FIT. I mean, that's what he gives you. He throws strikes, he doesn't walk guys, and they needed that. My concern is this, Peter. They're going to get through the regular season just fine, I think, and Jaymon's going to be a big part of that. But you again can speak to this, who do you trust in the postseason? I trust Wayno, I really do. I do trust Wayno in the postseason. It's crazy we still do. And like that's the first name that comes to our mind. That's he's a fucking forty year old. Adam Wayne Wright is the first name I drop as who we trust out of this rush blinking, I'm not even blinking. No, that's the guy. He gets the ball game one right as he should.
Speaker 3: I mean, Michaelis has pitched better than he has this year, but it's still Adam Wayne Wright and he's still got what a low three z R? Michaelis is even under three, it's a very solid two right there. Then you add a guy like Jordan Montgomery and Steven Matts and hopefully you can get Flaherty back in time for the playoff run. You know, Polante has showed that he can at least give you valuable innings. Whether you want him starting a playoff game is another question. And then at least he could be a swing swing man. And then yeah, I was just Jose Cantata as well. This is a rotation where nobody jumps out at you as the ace.
Speaker 2: But they filled the holes at least, But you don't have a day off, yeah, which they had some days off before. Who are watching some Jordan Hicks starts? I would was that a game I went to with you like, we watched Jordan hickstar and I'm like, he's not a starter. He's not a starter, So it's just it's just one of those things. So I am. I am really happy that they made those moves. Polante can now be more of that swing man, as you said, less responsibility there. I thought he was gonna have to start like all the time, and that doesn't seem like that's going to be the case. So better off there. Cardinals look a lot better and one more pitcher. Dakota Hudson, who we talk about a lot in betting, and you know, I'm not gambling advice. You'll probably hear me if he gets more starts this year. He is one of the major candidates in baseball for massive negative regression. I almost wish Colby was in the same room as you, like he was at the National when he was able to talk to Jack and go over the Red Sox stuff, because Colby is the ultimate fade to cut up Dakota Hudson when you can. He just had a tough start against this Nationals team. Yeah, they had Bell and Soto, but if you look at the difference in era to XCRA, you look at walk rates, you look at strikeout rates. Dakota Hudson is a guy who relies on a lot of soft contact, and lucky for him, he is the best defense ever by exactly. But you put him on another team and he's probably not a guy you want to trust. So the reason when I was going through all the starters and I didn't add him in is because, in my opinion, you don't want him throwing invaluable innings. Could he be good in, you know, a middle relief role. Could he take Could he of course fill some innings for you guys in the regular season, definitely, But come playoff time, I do not want Dakota Hudson facing a Mets lineup, a Braves lineup, a Dodgers lineup, and you know what a Brewers lineup he could probably carve through. Yeah, the regular season numbers might be good, but we saw them in the playoffs last year and there's really nobody in their lineup where I'm oh. I mean, Yelich has been good and a Damas has been good. But Renfro hit some home runs against the Red Sox on his revenge tour, but like McCutcheon hits fourth and I love McCutcheon. But it's Andrew McCutchen at the end of the day, like just being honest here. I off no, not at all. And dude, I freaking trust Polonte more than I trust Hudson, I think at this point, which is.
Speaker 3: Not even a bad take, which is pretty crazy, I think, is he cal poly guy?
Speaker 2: He's selling California. No, he's Irvine, Irvine. All those California schools turn out so many dudes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dustin said he saw him at Irvine and he's like, this dude's filthy.
Speaker 2: It's there's so many schools that just turn out dudes. But Phillies, they're a team that's now looking a lot better and they're going to make a push for the wild card as well that they're staying afloat without Bryce Harper, and that was enough to inspire the always aggressive Dave Dombrowski to be aggressive. They trade their top catching prospect and one of their top overall prospects. In logan o'happy probably would have been it will be a top one hundred guy. In our update for Brandon Marsh, that caught me off guard. I don't think anybody was expecting Marsh to be moved. Ultimately he gets moved. The Angels get their catcher probably of the future, and a guy that's very close to big league ready. The Phillies get a guy that I think they're buying low on twenty four years old. I've long liked him as a prospect. Really struggling offensively this year, but an elite defender with good speed. They don't need him to hit the crap out of the ball. He satisfies a really big need for them, and I think the offense will tick up just kind of getting out of La. You talk about tough environments. Something's just going on over there. Just get him out of there. I think he's going to be better obviously short Porch and right in Philadelphia as well.
Speaker 3: I'm relying on you for the Brandon Marsh because I just never saw a lot of the in the minor leagues from the small you know, videos and a little bit like I saw a little bit of Brandon Marsh and thought, oh, he could be a pretty good big leaguer, Like it seems like he's got everything kind of figured out, but then he really really struggled at the big league level. To your point, I do agree that maybe a change in scenery would help, you know, link it up with some of those hitters there in Philly. But he also was linked up with some of those hitters in Los Angeles, with Mike Trout and Shojo Taani. Maybe a change of scenery makes sense? Or is he never going to be the player that we thought he would be? But to your point, you know, I'm trusting you on this. It's not like, of course, I'll trust you on this. You've been insanely good, but I just at the big league level, I never fell in love with Brandon Marsh.
Speaker 2: Not yet, not yet. It's been rough. But how about this eight nine outs above average in the outfield, which he needs so badly, which they need so bad. So of all of them, the outs above average, Yeah, they need all the out he might get them back in the positives. Right. So from that perspective, let's say, I want your thoughts on this, because we don't know what he's gonna do offensively this year. I think he's gonna get better again. He's twenty four years old. But let's say he continues to hit roughly two forty three hundred three sixty and puts up a ninety WRC plus, but he plays that kind of defense. This is a net positive for the Phillies or is it kind of meh net positive for the Phillies.
Speaker 3: I'm curious though, because jt rol Muto ages by the day and he hasn't been the same jtu roal Muto that he has been.
Speaker 2: Did they give up too much in your seal? It was surprising to see O Hopy go. I thought they would trade him, maybe in a larger deal. It's worth asking. Uh Remuto at least is showing some signs of life again and yet solid, but it is it is worth asking. He's a thirty one year old catcher who's very dependent on his athleticism, and Hoppy's like their only guy back there. I think it's Dave Dombrowski and he's like, well, cross that bridge when we'll fucking get there, because that's what he does. But no, I think that's a valid question, dude, like that is a good catching prospect, a top one hundred guy. His numbers have been phenomenal, but they satisfy a need.
Speaker 3: And I looked at this O Hoppy guy because I didn't know much about him either, and I was like, damn.
Speaker 2: Looks got a good numbers. Like, I've seen video of him.
Speaker 3: I'd seen him before, but never really did a deep dive, and I'm like, man, he's hit it ever level and he seems to be a good defender. And maybe I'm a little bit more down on Brandon Marsh than you are.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: So but I guess for the Angels, I like to trade for them.
Speaker 2: Good for them, right, I mean, it's just with the questions around Mike Trout and his ability to play center field long term, Joe Adell not performing, it is a really interesting spot for them. But again, I think they satisfy the catching rule. The numbers talk about his performance this year two sixty nine, three eighty five, four to ninety two in Double A. He has sixteen home runs in eighty games this year. Is really good production for a catcher, and he's he's at least an average or better defender. It's a great get for the Angels, but again, the Phillies do improve in an area where they will really needed to improve. One other spot where they needed to improve was pitching, and they go out and get Noah Cindergard, who is not the thoor that he once was. But this is a guy that is still a good pitcher to add to your rotation, and you know, you move him in there with Kyle Gibson. Who do you put first, Gibson or Cindergard. Who's the three out of those two? I know it's very uninspiring. I would maybe lean Gibson. But at least they get a guy here that slots in at the number four or number three, however you want to stack him up and their rotation is a little bit more fortified. I didn't want Noah Cyndergard on my team. That's fine. For what they gave up was Mickey Montiac, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: Whatever, who clearly wasn't working in Philly. Yes he has the pedigree of a number one overall pick, but it just he hasn't really shown much. Not that they got him for free, because that's unfair to Mickey Moniac, because who knows, maybe he could find something in La. So what they did was add a five starter in my mind. I mean, I just from watching Noahs Cyinderguard this year. One thing about Noahs Sinderguard is he cannot hold on a runner. I know that doesn't mean a lot, but the amount of stolen bases off this guy is incredible. I felt like the Phillies needed to add a Jose Cantana. Yeah, Phillies needed to add a bigger time starter than Noah Cyinderguard. Noahs Cyderguard doesn't move the needle for me. Noah cynder Guard doesn't give me more confidence in the Phillies starting rotation than almost adding nobody. And I know that's again unfair, because Noahs Cinderguard will give you better innings than maybe some other guys have. Even the Ranger Suarez has looked better lately. But still I don't look at Noah's Cyindergarden and think, Okay, now I have confidence in the Phillies rotation.
Speaker 2: I don't, No, but you know it does give them some important depth there helps in that. And again you talking about they didn't give up me exactly. So it's not a bad trade, no, And it's for the Angels who need a center fielder. And Maniac has been hitting in Tripaa for what it's worth two seventy seven, three forty one, five eighteen with five homers in twenty games. You know, so a flyer there for a guy that they were going to lose in free agency. Anyways, in Cindergard, I doubt they would have brought him back, and Cindergard can try to help this team, you know, go across the finish line. Here one last move for the Phillies. They go out and get David roberts And I liked this one. This could end up being the move that makes the most impact for them. Yes, a guy that was closing games for the Cubs seems to really found what he used to have and the volatility of the reliever position is is funny but much needed reliever help. They seem to have satisfied every need. Nothing crazy sexy, but they're better than they were yesterday.
Speaker 3: Two point two to three ERA for the Cubs in high leverage innings. He immediately becomes the best bullpen arm that the Phillies have, and I think he's going to be closing games for them. They dfa Jerry's familiar as a result, which is probably a plus for them considering how he's performed this year. David Robertson was the best move I think the Phillies made, even though they add a guy like Brenda Marsh, even though they add a guy like Noah Cindergaard, getting David Robertson was a very key move for them yep. But overall with the Phillies, I don't think it was enough to be more than the third wild card hopefully.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, And I think it's really all dependent on Bryce Harper, right, I mean, it's really when does this man get back and how does he look when he's back. But I think this was exactly what the Phillies should have done, which was cautiously add don't trade your two blue Chippers, because ultimately, let's say Bryce Harper has a setbacker, doesn't come back in time, and now you traded Andrew Paynter and Mickabel. That's gonna look really bad. So props on Dave Dombrowski for restraining himself. That was that's a rarity. Only traded one top one hundred guy at this deadline, and they got better and they give him themselves a shot.
Speaker 3: AJ Preller just said, Dave Dombrowski, you're too old man. Yeah, that's my time.
Speaker 2: You're lost.
Speaker 3: Dave, like the old Dave would have traded the entire farm. He probably would have got wad soda within the division. He said, what do you name? So that's why it's like the Nationals probably could have gotten the entire Phillies roster if Dave Dombrowski was in the heyday of the Dave Dobraski era, but he's weak And yeah, no, he's definitely not weak. But to your point about Dombrowski, he didn't leverage the farm and it's not a great farm either, but he still didn't. And the Phillies are better than what they were two days ago, and I think that's important.
Speaker 2: They are better than what they were. That's the most important. And then they've got a shot. They've got a shot. They have a shot. You speak, a preller one last preller move. They go get Brandon Drury for you know what was a lottery ticket in Victor Acosta. One point eight million dollar international free agent, big time upside, but obviously very very very far away, hasn't played above the complex. Drury is a guy that has hit really well, a great American, but he's been good away like a one nineteen WRC plus away important in field depth. We've talked about the ability to play multiple positions. This is a guy that I think can really be what they were hoping Adam Fraser was going to be for them last year. Uh, just a good move, low cost for them.
Speaker 3: Ultimately good move overall, I think good for both sides. You get kind of not a lottery ticket. Again, I keep using that word, but just like a guy who's far off who has a lot of talent in that player going over to the Cincinnati Reds. But then the Padres get a guy like Brandon Drury, give them a ton of positional versatility, can play all around the infield, and then you could even put him in a corner if you need him there. Overall, Brand and Jury goes from the best hitting park to one of the best pitchers park in Petco. But you're not relying on Brand and Jury to hit second like you were in Cincinnati. If Brand and Jury can give you good production from the seven hole, you're it's it's flowers, it's gravy. The Padres did great there. They didn't trade a big time prospect for him. You get Brandon Drury, who's going to be solid. He's not going to light up Slam Diego. But I'm sure Don Orcillo will be using that phrase a couple of times down the stretch for Brand and Drury, who is a solid.
Speaker 2: Player, definitely a solid player, and again kind of just fills in the lineup and gives you depth and maybe a bench bat in the playoffs, depending on how you want to, you know, stack up your lineup. Red Sox get Eric Cosmer, very funny. We make fun of him Bloom we did on you know, a couple episodes ago. The Red Sox. You know, they don't really sell other than Christian Vasquez. I like the return that they got there, and they add Tommy fam who you talked about. It makes their outfield better on the live stream, it does, and Eric Cosmer makes them better at first base, given that they were getting no offensive production and legitimately bad first base defense, which is hard to do. So the Red Sox are slightly better. They're not fully out of the race. They traded, you know, they also acquired Corey Rosier and Max Ferguson, two burners. Ferguson has over forty stolen bases. They part with Jay Groom, their former first round pick was just not really panned out. It's kind of whatever. It's surprising Hosmer doesn't move the needle for them, but you know what he gets out of San Diego. We've been waiting for them to kind of move him and what that would look like, and they finally move him.
Speaker 3: The Red Sox are better than they were two days ago. But at the same time, you guys talked about it, you sign Trevor's story, and then you didn't really capitalize on anything else. You know, the Sale extension is still sitting there. I'm again looking for a direction for the Red Sox. Maybe they just think they can compete with the team now once they get healthy. You know, I wouldn't put a has to me there. They could go on a crazy run. I mean, you wouldn't. I mean, if jad Martinez gets a little bit healthier and he starts hitting like he was, you know, Bogart's endevors thing er do go, you know, I mean he I don't think he's going to continue to be as bad as he's been because he's a better player than that. Give all these back, you know, when Sale comes back healthy, you know, Whitlock continuing to shut it down back there, maybe if Paveta finds a second wind. You know, they have a lot of things going in their direction. But you know, Christian Vasquez losing him doesn't help, especially in.
Speaker 2: The catching position. Now they're very weak there.
Speaker 3: Christian Vasquez was hitting third for them second sometimes for a reason in this lineup, because he's one of their better bats. But the Red Sox are better than they were two days ago, but not much better. And it's hard to think, oh yeah, the Red Sox after this deadline are a playoff contender. It's hard, but I am again not counting the Red Sox out because they've did it this We.
Speaker 2: Learned the hard way last year. They've had some red hot stretches this year. Really the best additions that they can make is health editions within their own team. And you know, they satisfied some smaller some smaller holes. They did subtract a catcher, they did get a good prospect or turn there. But ultimately it's going to be interesting to see, you know, how things go for them the rest of the way. One interesting other move what Marifield Blue Jays acquire him. You know, wit is not what he once was. The Royals really fumbled the bag by not trading him two years ago, or even a year and a half ago, when they could have got multiple top one hundred prospects when he was playing at his peak with control and positional versatility and stealing bags. They could have got a haul. They turned down some good offers. They still get two decent prospects, maxkis TiO, who's thrown pretty well at the big league level, and some odd tailor who's put up some good numbers as an outfielder or infield slash outfielder at the Triple A level. A far cry from what they could have got a year and a half ago. But the Royals do get a little bit, and the Blue Jays get a veteran bat, defensively versatile, good speed. I know he's not what he once was. I know you don't love him, but I think this is a good, low cost acquisition for a team that already has a lot of power. Kind of balances out the lineup a little bit.
Speaker 3: I don't love him, but I kind of like him on the Blue Jays. I feel like it's a very good fit there. You know, he does a lot of stuff that the Blue Jays could use right now. The big stories the Blue Jays needed a left handed bat, but you were talking in the live stream, I think that's a bit overblown. The Blue Jay's offense is so frickin good, like against righty's. You know, maybe they could have used a left handed bat, but whatever. Their lineup is so loaded. At the end of the day, you know, like the Mets have more struggles against lefties than the Blue Jays were having struggles against righties. The Blue Jays still have one of the best offenses in the sport. You had a guy like Whip Merrifield. Maybe he finds another gear there with Toronto. But on the same side, the Royals did well there too. While they didn't capitalize at the right moment, they didn't get fleast. They got two pretty solid prospects, more than I actually would have thought for wit Merrifield. But at the same time, I like what the Blue Jays did, so I think it was kind of a win win.
Speaker 2: I like the deal for both sides.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be good for the Blue Jays, and I think the Royals actually did better than I thought they would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with all of those, all of the above. Samad Taylor twenty four years old, Corona, California. Guy, by the way, got a Corona twenty three bags, nine homers, putting up numbers in triple A and again, Castillo's been pretty good at the big league level. Miguel Vargas gets caught up as Justin Turner hits the IL. We thought that Miguel Vargas, third base prospect with the Dodgers, might get traded. Ultimately he stays with the Dodgers and now he's making his big league debut. I love Vargas, very excited to see what he's gonna do there. Plus hit tool, above average power, can play third, can play first, can play even corner outfield if you need him to second base, even really good piece. That's another guy that I think internal upgrade, possibly another really good option. And it really consistent. Dodgers continue to look good. Are there any moves we missed? Of course? Oh yeah, I swear to God, I actually totally forgot.
Speaker 3: I was almost waiting for you to bring it up. It just a depressed state. But I think that's the most beautiful part about it.
Speaker 2: Arm I swear to God that was an accident. That that in itself, the power of the subconscious is.
Speaker 3: The deadline move for the Miami Marlins. Okay, but could I first? Could I first?
Speaker 2: Before you?
Speaker 3: Rant I came out and said it was a loose, loose And the reason I said it was a lose lose was more to fire up social media and I tagged you because I wanted you to to rack with it. I gave you what you wanted. Yes, I wanted exactly what happened. I actually wish you would have gotten more on me. You just said, how is this a lose lose and we're gonna talk about it? I wish you what hard or but that is what it is. Why the reason why I said it was a lose lose was because I'm not the biggest fan of Jordan Grossen's, but I do feel that the Blue Jays really needed a big time starter, so packaging Grossians maybe with a Ricky Tiedeman could have gotten them, Montess could have gotten them Luis Castillo. So that was the only reason. Because they did add Anthony Bass and Zach Pop. Zac Pop's actually Canadian, you know, and Anthony Bass has been really good, yeah, which is kind of cool. That's I mean, what do you think about Zach Pop? Like Zach Pop is what a big Yeah? Like he could be pretty good, but the big yet here is Anthony Bass and it.
Speaker 2: Has been dynamite.
Speaker 3: I just I don't want Blue Jays fans thinking that they just got another Jordan Romano now more like they got another Tim Maza who's been good for them. You know, maybe Adam Simber. That's a guy that you got an Simbas. Yes, Simber like a good, a good reliever. But I just felt that Jordan Grosans and you know, I'm gonna hand it over to you like I'm not his biggest fan. So I guess the Blue Jays did well there. The only reason I said lose, lose, and one part was to fire you up. In the second part, I felt that the Blue Jays' biggest need was starting pitching. They could have used Grosshans in a bigger deal to get one of those big arms.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely agree with that. You know, I was surprised that they ended up parting with the Grossians in a deal where you're just getting two relievers. But maybe that's because the league feels the same way we do, which is that Grossian's is not the prospect he once was. What I will say, though, is he's twenty two years old and in Triple A, put up good numbers in double last year, so maybe they could have salvaged some value there. Ultimately they part with him. I see where are you coming from there? I'm just not gonna get I'm not. I can't be any meaner to you than like I just just it's I can't do it like that was That was my meanest reply I could. That was just how is this to lose? Lose? I get it, and it's frustrating. And if that was one of several moves they made, I'm cool with it. The Marlins need bats and they need higher end hit tool guys, which is like they keep going for the swing and miss power guys and they can't develop them, so try something different. I'm cool with that. Again, he's twenty two in trip a A, but this guy has no power. I think he's got like six extra base hits in the whole year. He's just not that good. He's not sticking at short stop. He's moving to third, but doesn't have power there, so maybe he moves to south. I don't know what the hell they're gonna do. And that's the only move they made at the deadline was to trade two relievers for Jordan Grosschanz. That that's it. That's literally it. So it's frustrating. I subconsciously forgot about it. So that kind of tells you everything you need to know. I literally was ready to end the episode. So we'll we'll. That's all I really got.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what their plan is, okay, because they didn't trade Pablo Lopez, they didn't trade hazyus Aguilar.
Speaker 2: I need you to go off more. It's incredibly entertaining.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly entertaining, and I know all your Marlins fans need more from you. I also want to touch on the Montes deal to end it, because I mean, the guys, we're also gonna talk winners and losers. We're gonna do trade grades like we ain't done talking about these deals. So make sure that you're subscribed to the Just Baseball Show. If you're watching this on YouTube, stay tuned. We're gonna do much more trade deadline coverage. You know, we do an hour and we're probably even doing more than an hour on this episode every single day, so we're gonna be spacing it out. Give some of these deals time to digest, really dive deeper into the prospect packages. Give you some grades than do overall winners and losers. When we're all together on Friday, it's gonna be an awesome week here at the Just Baseball Show.
Speaker 2: But I need to hear a rant from you.
Speaker 3: I need to and Marlins fans need to hear because who else are they going to go to right now? They need to hear from the guy himself, arm So you.
Speaker 2: Know, hazus agu Garrett Cooper is still on the Marlins, Joey Wendall is still on the Marlins, Stevenen o'kurtis still on the Marlins, and Miguel Rojas still on the Marlins. Brian Anderson still on the Marlins. All these guys are not good, but they could have been traded. Uh, several of them could have got decent returns. They ultimately hold on to everybody. Papa was the one guy like, Okay, if you don't get the right offer, hold on to him, but you better trade everybody else. You better do what you can to get whatever you can back for some of these guys. And all they do is package a Rule five guy and a guy that you know has been an emergent reliever for them for a prospect with no impact. And I just don't understand what their plan is, like, what what is your goal to get a centerfielder? All we were hearing about is, oh, they're gonna go get a centerfielder. That's their plan. They really, that's what they're asking for from everybody. Then they don't do it. What are you gonna do with Garrett Cooper? The guy is a lug. He can hit, but he is a lug and you could have got something for him. The Dodgers have called for two straight years on him. You don't trade him, and a guy can't stay healthy, so now you're gonna count on him to be your best hitter moving forward again, hayesus Aguilar, what does that man do for you? Two with the same people there, and Cooper is just a better hitter. I just don't see the direction. I don't see the plan. They don't have a short stop for next year. We go Rojas is not their long term short sum. They still don't have a freaking center field or I can promise you that they're stuck with Avi Garcia for four more fucking years. Jorge Solira has a player option next year, which guess what, Peter, he's opting into that shit. He's opting in. Why would you give jorgees Soleiro lebron deal. He's got an option. He's got a player option next year too. The guy's never leaving. He's gonna suck for two straight years and never opt out. Like he's holding the Marlins hostage. Aviy Garcia is holding the Marlins hostage, and they're just sitting there doing nothing. I think the only way that they could have really made a major change was trading Lopez. They didn't need to do it. Now. Very interesting to see what they do this offseason, because guess what the only got in the center field market is Brandon Nemo, and I highly doubt they're gonna pay Brandon Nemo. He probably end up staying in New York or someone else would pay him more money. Who's the center fielder for the Marlins next year? Peter? You know I've heard it's you. I am getting the hip or Bill? I saw you in the Beds League.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can track a fly ball better than a Sue Sanchez is currently. Did that feel good at least or are you still unhappy? I feel that at least good. It does like when that kind of stuff happens to me, I need to just let it out, whether anything.
Speaker 2: Changes or not, just let it out. And they drafted Jacob fucking Berry and then I hated that pick too.
Speaker 3: That was the worst pick of the draft type there, I they there was so many whatever Brooksley, brooks Ley, Kevin Prada.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can go down the lot but and they won't. And and by the way, they promoted Victor Victor Mesa, they promoted Ray Patrick Dinner to triple A and Paul McIntosh and Griffin Conine sitting double A. Hey, there's just so many. It's just it's just a mess. It's a mess. I'm a Cardinals fan. Now, I'm a Cardinals fan. But my girlfriends fan, My wonderful girlfriend Ellie is a Cardinals fan, and they are fun. And it's pool hosts last year, and I'm just gonna ride. I'm just gonna be a pool hoole stand the rest of the year. Fun differential. Yes, that them two, them too. I got my team from me, I got my team from each league. But I can just try my best to pretend I care. And Darren Ruff's a fucking met By the way, they trade my one favorite player to a division rival.
Speaker 3: That's the deal we forgot about. So Mets fans, you got Darren Ruff. You got Darren Ruff. That's what you needed. Love that left masher. You can look at the stats this year and say overall, like who is this? You know, I feel like we might have given up a lot for him. You know, we didn't do much of the deadline, but you already know you have one of the best teams in baseball. You just add Jacob de gram Back into the fold rotation, looks great. Yeah, Michael Gibbins, who's an underrated reliever for the Cubs.
Speaker 2: He could at least give.
Speaker 3: You kind of what I think Ottavino is giving you right now, Like Michael Gibbins is that good of a reliever.
Speaker 2: On the same side, Darren.
Speaker 3: Ruff solves an issue that you've had all season hitting left handers. He's been the ultimate platoon for the Giants, and you know that the Giants are that smart team that knows how to platoon. You bring Darren Ruff in for pinching at bats, always hits that home run. You're gonna love Darren Ruff on your team. Now the vogel Back deal makes sense. Now you just added a bunch of mashers on your bench. The depth there on offense is so much better. The bullpen has been short up. You didn't get David robertson. But it's not like you did nothing. You got Michael Gibbins, and I know Mets fans are a greedy bunch. You wanted to do a lot more. But I'm looking at the deadline compared to every other team, and I'm calling it a win. You didn't get Wilsonature's okay, but you got two months of Abber Bias or Pete kro Armstrong who's down in the Cubs, who looks very good. You don't want to make that mistake again. I think they did a very good job here. I know Jave Bias was great for the Mets, but in that type of deal, you'd rather not do that over the long run. And will that trade for Darren Ruff probably be better for the Giants in the long run, Yeah, probably, But who cares. It's not like it's gonna burn you because none of those guys are like a Pete Koor Armstrong. Those are you hope they turn into David Peterson Totally. Overall, the Mets did well addressed in need. And we're both big fans of Darren Ruff. You put him in the bright spots, He's gonna deliver. I'm a big fan of Darren Ruff, and so were you. I have my Darren Roff shirt. I should have wore it today. He's a beast. Actually referencing Ellie again. She actually took it. I gotta go get it back. But Darren Ruff is a lot of fun. I think he's gonna fit that role perfectly. Like you said, And speaking of greedy fans, the floor is yours, Yankee fan for Frankie Montes.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Yeah, Yankee fans. I think they did better than every single contender not named the Padres. I really do very fair. I think it's very fair.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, adding Frankie Montes, who'd you give up in the deal? You gave up Ken Walderchuck kind of hurts.
Speaker 2: I think he could any you knew you were gonna give up something. You had to give up something.
Speaker 3: And Ken Waldechuck, I think could be a little bit better than Jordan Montgomery when it's all said and done.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And Frankie Montes is better than Jordan Montgomery, and that's clear. That's why they traded him. I know you're probably upset about trading Jordan Montgomery, but think about it like this. Not that long ago, you were very upset with Jordan Montgomery and the Yankees. It's clear they were not gonna put him as Game three of the World Series, Game three of the ALCS. He's not that good. Jamison Tyle, at least lately, has looked as good as a Jordan Montgomery. You have so much starting pitching depth. This is clear that they believe in a guy like Clark Schmidt. Also, you have to make go who I really dislike. I'll say that right now. Ye screw this glass outing, screw that guy. That's fair. At least he had a fine outing.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: I hope he's not on the I hope he can see a fade soon the way.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Good, more dudes who are just terrible people getting them out of baseball. Toming armand not the biggest fan. I'd rather have Clark SCHMICKIVI innings. And since Clark Schmid's been called up, he's been much better. Jorge Montgomery, I'm totally fine giving up. I'm a Yankee fan. I'm telling you, I'm totally fine giving up Jorn Montgomery. I think Harrison Bata was a great addition. Also because you're going to have Beta for next year too. Very good bridge to potentially ad Jason to Mingez, or he can help Floriel on the outfield too, or Pereira. The Yankees farm system is great, right now, You kept all these different pieces, you got Frankie montass and Lou Trevino.
Speaker 2: You're gonna look at.
Speaker 3: His stats and say, who is this guy? But look at the pedigree of what he's been able to deliver. You take him out where Oakland doesn't even seem to give a shit, now you put him with the Yankees. It seems like Matt Blake, the pitching coach, has really been able to turn around this entire staff. I feel like they're going to give him a little bit of an edge, get him back to what he looked like. And what he did look like was a closer and a good one at that. The Yankees really made out well during the deadline. They didn't give up Parazza, they didn't give up to Mingez, they didn't give up Volpi. And now you were questions were being asked, are you better than the Astros? Well, you were worse than the Ashros going into this, and the Ashros still added a guy like Trey Mancini. They still added a guy like Christian Vasquez, and they're going to Adlance McCullers Junior.
Speaker 2: But right now, in my.
Speaker 3: Opinion, it's Game seven Alcs, Yankees Ashtros, and the Yankees might be favored. That's what it is, and the Yankees are right there. That's what Cashman he needed to do, and he did it. Did they get Pablo Lopez? Did they get Carlos rodon No? And that's one thing I want to end on too, because that trade of Jordan Montgomery did feel like, all right, Yankees are getting Road or Pablo Lopez now. But if something fell through, the Giants kept Rod On, they kept Jock Peterson, didn't trade, and the Yankees didn't trade for one of those, at least Pablo Lopez. I wonder, and we're probably gonna hear about what we will. We will well recover it. But I guess just do you have any feelings? Do you have any gut feelings of maybe what happened?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I think it was a trade that the the Yankees were okay with making regardless, right like, okay, if the Pablo Lopez trade doesn't get through at the deadline or you know, right at the buzzer, we still are happy with the baiter from Montgomery swat, but I think it was made with the thought in mind of ooh, we might we might also be adding Pablo. It seemed like it was down to the goal line. But the Marlins asking price was a little too steep. And we've seen Brian Cashman's discipline. He doesn't just deplete the farm, and I think the Marlins asking price might have been a bit too steep. That seemed to be the trend. The Dodgers thought it was too steep, the Yankees thought it was too steep. That was something the Marlins were within the right to do, given that Pablo Lopez does not need to be traded. That's why I would have loved to have seen them trade everybody else. Lopez was the one guy you didn't need to trade. I think it was close. I bet you there was a sticking point on one player. And I'm interested to see if our guy Craig Mish, I'm sure he will will reveal kind of what the details were of that trade and what the sticking points were, because clearly there was one piece or something that just couldn't quite get it across the finish line between the Yankees and the Marlins. And I'm excited to see it. If the Yankees got Pablo, yeah, we're talking about probably being better than the Astros, but if they had to give up some essential pieces to do so, then you know, maybe it wasn't worth it for the Yanks. Yanks preserved their system pretty well, They preserved their blue Chippers while adding a bunch of impact guys. They did a great job, I agree, other than the Padres, they probably had the second best you know, deadline stretch here. Astros not far off either. We're gonna have a really really fun postseason. A lot of teams got better. It's a lot of parody. Very excited for these expanded playoffs with a lot more teams that have kind of gotten themselves going. Screw you, Guardians, but everybody else, thank you for getting better and making the game a little bit more exciting across the board.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna go over all these different teams too, when we talk about winners and losers, when we talk about trade grades. So if we didn't talk about your team, don't worry.
Speaker 2: We will.
Speaker 3: And if you didn't do enough, you're gonna hear it. And if you did a lot, you're definitely gonna hear our praise too, and we're gonna go through each trade more collab on it, really get down into the gritty and really see what we thought about each individual trade. So stay tuned for the rest of the episodes on the Just Baseball Show. I'm so happy to be back. I've been moving into my new apartment. I finally got Wi Fi set up. My WiFi name is is Just Baseball. I'm not gonna tell you the password, but it is a Yankee and.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited. Schmidt.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's Clark Schmidt sixty nine four twenty. That's the password. But we're back, and it feels good to be home, back in New York City. I just missed talking about the early deadline with you and Jack, but you guys killed it too, went over all the deals. Was there any other moves that we might have missed because I'm going through the Just Baseball tracker who our guys did a phenomenal job with, and I feel like we pretty much covered anybody. I mean, the Mariners added a guy like Jake Lamb and yeah, Kurtkas Sally, which I do like for them, I do.
Speaker 2: Kirkus Sally's an underrated edition, but you know, I Yeah, well, there's only so much we could talk about there, but yeah, they didn't need to catch her behind cal Rally he helps and he's a vet so.
Speaker 3: And the Brewers got Trevor Rosenthal, which yeah, which I forgot he was around.
Speaker 2: But he's good when he's when he's healthy and right. But yeah, not not too much, not too much else. I think we got most of it, and I'm excited tomorrow's episode we can kind of fill in any other gaps and I'm sure there'll be some more rumors coming out of like what almost happened, what you know, what certain teams did or didn't do, and uh, fill in whatever we may have missed on tomorrow's episode. But that's it for me. Check out just Baseball dot Com. We're gonna have so much wrapping up the entire deadline. I'm gonna be breaking down all the prospect returns. We're gonna be breaking down basically everything that's happened. I'm gonna rank every prospect that was dealts, which will be really fun. That's gonna take a little bit, but I'm really excited to do that. We got to make sure we get every single prospect that was dealt a lot of really good ones obviously moved. But that's it for me. Peter, anything from.
Speaker 3: You use coache just baseball. If you're interested in getting prize picks, I'll be back with my will be best bets. It's the only reason I haven't been giving out picks the past few days. Had to set up wi Fi, couldn't write the article, couldn't do my full in depth research on the hotspot unfortunately, and then we you know, not gambling advice every day daily amabe best bets on that podcast, arms gonna be covered all the prospect details on the call up. We still have the State of the Division, which is every single division in fifteen minutes, six days a week. That has its own YouTube page. Just go check that out. But also that podcast is available everywhere. You should join our chalkboard. Of course we're talking baseball in there. I'm excited to do our break on Whatnot. Yeah, and there's a free ten dollars gift card for your first purchase on Whatnot. But if you don't want to buy any baseball cards, I mean I do, and no does. But if you don't want to, it's fine, you can just come watch the break. It's a ton of fun. We're gonna be talking cards. I'm probably gonna be buying stuff. I already bought a slot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see. If we pull anything, it's gonna be fun. We're due for a banger card. I think we're due for a banger card, and I guess with that. Thank you everybody,