Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're welcoming the world of softball to our city tonight for a big party celebrating opening weekend at the AUSL millort shots for everybody. It's Friday, June sixth, Happy Friday Slices. On today's show, we'll be talking with National Softball Hall of Famer and Athletes Unlimited Softball League Advisor Jenny Finch about the inaugural season beginning on Saturday, the beauty of softball, stakeholders all working toward the same goal, and Major League Baseball's groundbreaking investment in the AUSL. Plus the PWHL expansion window opens with some huge moves, the NWSL is back in action, and at the end of the show, a special treat for all you puzzle lovers out there. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome mack y'all. Here's what you need to know today, leading off with softball and the Women's College World Series. We're recording this episode before Game two of the Championship Series between Texas and Texas Tech on Thursday night, So as you're listening to this, we're all either thinking congratulations to Texas for winning the program's first ever national championship. And wow was Sarah's pre series prediction right or we're all getting geared up for Game three of the series. Whichever way things went, We hope everyone had fun. Hey, speaking to that, y'all have to check out the brand new album Hope We have Fun from my friends and my faves Mountjoy.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Shameless plug, but you gotta support the RTS, y'all to hockey. Holy cow, The moves are moving in the PWHL. The league's new Seattle and Vancouver expansion teams are taking full advantage of the five day signing window ahead of Monday Night's expansion draft, just snaggin top players left and right. Remember how we told you that the Boston Fleet opted not to make ten time world champion Hillary Night one of their protected players. Well, she became the first player to sign with Seattle on Wednesday, inking a one year deal for the twenty twenty five to twenty twenty sixth season. And after she told us right here on this show how much she wanted to bring a title to Boston, Well, feels like you're one in Seattle. Might be a bit of a scorched earth tour making them pay for letting her go. Then there's two time defending champions Minnesota Frost, who saw both Sophie Jake's and friend of the Show Claire Thompson leave to sign with Vancouver Jakes for three years and Thompson for one year. With two players from Minnesota getting scooped up, the Frost were eligible to protect a fourth player, which they did on Wednesday, protecting Britack kral Salemi. Vancouver is also signing Ottawa Golie Emirates mash Meyer, and per the Athletic Sley Salvian is also expected to sign Toronto Sarah Nurse. And that was all just on day one of the signing window, y'all. By the time you slaces hear this, it's possible even more signings have been announced. Each expansion team can sign a maximum of five players before Sunday Eastern. Just a reminder, any unprotected player or player on an expiring contract is eligible to be signed. More PWHL. On Tuesday, the league's players Association announced that players voted overwhelmingly to disclose player salaries moving forward. As of now, salaries won't be published publicly, but they will be available to players and agents upon request. The decision is expected to give players more clarity and more information during contract negotiations. It's a big move from the PWHL Players Association and comes at a key moment given the ongoing expansion draft negotiation window. Moving on to hoops, the Seattle Storm is under a microscope once again. We first saw a report from Christina Williams, which was later built upon by reporting from Annie Costable, that the WNBA is reviewing a complaint from a former Seattle Storm player alleging that a current Seattle Storm assistant coach directed profanity at them. The encounter in question occurred when the Storm hosted the Aces on Sunday. There's no official investigation underway, but this is the second time Seattle's coaching staff has been the subject of a complaint in the last calendar year.
Speaker 2: You might remember that in November of.
Speaker 1: Last year, Constable, then with the Chicago Sun Times, reported that Seattle's coaching staff was under investigation for alleged player harassment and bullying. That complaint was filed by former Storm guard Jewel Lloyd, but an external investigation concluded without finding any violations. Lloyd requested a trade and is now with the Las Vegas Aces, per a post from Costable on x yesterday. Fines and suspensions are not expected in relation to this incident. Seattle is currently four and four on the season. We'll keep you updated on this situation as we hear more to soccer. The NWSL is back in action tonight after the international break.
Speaker 2: Two games on the schedule.
Speaker 1: First up Utah Royals at Racing Louisville at seven thirty pm Eastern. That'll be available on NWSL Plus, Paramount Plus and CBS Sports Galazzo. Then at ten pm Eastern, we've got a prime video showdown between the San Diego Wave and Seattle Rain. Five more contests over the course the weekend as well, so we'll link to the NWSL schedule in our show notes. More footy our show side. Minnesota Aurora FC is still undefeated. The squad is four to oh this season after a four nail victory over the Chicago City Dutch Lions on Sunday. The Aurora are back in action at home tonight against Sioux Falls City FC. That game begins at eight pm Eastern. And in softball, as I mentioned, the Athletes Unlimited Softball League AUSL starts up tomorrow a quick refresher on this new league. While Athletes Unlimited has been in the softball game since twenty twenty, this new league will use a more traditional format. Four teams will play in the inaugural season, touring in ten cities across the United States. In the past, AU has crowned an individual player as a champion, while this new league will award the inaugural.
Speaker 2: Trophy to a team.
Speaker 1: The first game on the schedule Saturday is The Talents Versus the bandits up in Rosemont, Illinois. That one starts at three Eastern on MLB dot Com, MLBtv, and the MLB app No subscription required. Its Eastern The Volts play the Blaze in Wichita, Kansas. Catch that game airing live on MLB Network and on MLBtv. Lots more AUSL chatter coming up later in the show with the Great Jenny Fitch. Slices want to let you know the flights are booked and the Aurora jersey is washed and ready. I'm headed to Minnesota next week to watch our show side the Minnesota Aurora FC in person. So if you're anywhere near Egan, Minnesota and Tco Stadium, just about twenty minutes outside Minneapolis Saint Paul. Come hang out and support the Aurora on Thursday, June twelfth against the Chicago City Dutch Lines. Team owners, you gotta wear your exclusive Onma Slight's hat if you got one excited to see y'all there. We're gonna take a quick break. When we come back, we're talking AUSL with the legendary Jenny Fitch.
Speaker 2: Be right back joining us now.
Speaker 1: She's one of the greatest softball players of all time, in a National Softball Hall of Famer, an advisor for the upcoming inaugural season of Athletes and Limited Softball League the AUSL. She was a collegiate All American, helping the Arizona Wildcats win the two thousand and one Women's College World Series, a member of the US national team that won gold at the two thousand and four Olympics in silver at the two thousand and eight Games. She played pro with the Chicago Bandits of the National Professt Pitch.
Speaker 2: League from five to twenty ten.
Speaker 1: We've seen around the Real Housewives of Orange County, dancing with the stars and famously striking out the world's best Major League baseball players.
Speaker 2: It's Jenny Bench Hi, Jenny.
Speaker 3: Hey Sarah, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to talk all things AUSL.
Speaker 2: Because we are finally here. We've been hearing about this league.
Speaker 1: But this weekend in my hometown of Chicago, I'm helping throw a big bash to celebrate the start of the league on Friday night and then Saturday the action begins. So tell us a little bit about what you've been working on when it comes to being an advisor for the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, we couldn't be more excited for our score.
Speaker 4: I feel like now's the time we have all hands on deck and it's going to be exciting. Yeah, and I can't wait to join you in Chicago. What in two days? Crazy up here before we know it.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 4: So my main role has been kind of just building the league from the ground up over the under the direction of Kimming, with the other advisors as well, cat Offhanjus Windows and Natasha Wattley and so just kind of figuring out I mean, building a league from the ground up. It's a huge, huge, enormous project and we couldn't be under better leadership. And it's just a matter of you know, finding the general managers. We did a ton of interviews and then head coaches, because who do we want.
Speaker 3: In these roles leading our league?
Speaker 4: And there's only fourteens, and I think that was the hardest part, was narrowing it down until only four, which I hope this is the only beginning, and we plan to expand hopefully next summer. But yeah, and just how many games and the whole world, what cities do we play in? And so a lot of decisions were made in a short period of time. But I think for the first time ever, we have everyone working in the same direction, and I think that's what excites me the most. Where in the past it's been different ownership, and it's been kind of honestly being in a survival mode of how do we make this work with limited funds? But now we're here and doing it the right way, and I couldn't be more thrilled.
Speaker 1: We had Jessica Mendoza on last weekend. She said the same thing. She just kept saying, it's just everyone together. We have everyone in the same place together, working toward the same thing. It reminds me a little bit of the PWHL, which is this incredible hockey league that now has all the best stars in one place instead of these disparate leagues that are trying to pull people all with great intention, but it's obviously so much better when you could have one destination. You mentioned four initial teams, the Volts, Bandits, Blaze, and Talons. So tell us about the format for this season.
Speaker 2: Where are the game is going to be? How many games? And how did the playoffs?
Speaker 3: So there's ten different cities.
Speaker 4: Actually we're coming They're going to come to sulf for Louisiana, which is their hometown, so really excited, and ten ten cities again, like how do you pick into ten cities for our sport.
Speaker 3: To go in?
Speaker 4: But Chicago, Wichita, Round Rock and then the championship series will be in Tuscaloosa in Alabama. And so I believe it's twenty four games, all televised on major networks ESPN, MLB Network, which is really really exciting, and MLB dot Com just announced that they are opening it up for completely free for viewerships to be able to tune in and all of the games will be broadcasted there.
Speaker 3: So just really really excited for just.
Speaker 4: The platform that we'll have now, and we've had leagues, but there was the consistency was never there, and so how do you follow? And I think our biggest hurdle in the past fifteen years was the.
Speaker 3: College game is at its all time high.
Speaker 4: It just continues to increase year after year after year, and we've never been able to kind of bridge that gap from the college game to the pro league. And so now being able to broadcast these games on TV, you know, fans will actually get to know the players, and they'll have a team to get behind, a mascot to get behind, and eventually the cities will come. But I think it's an extremely smart move to be able to do this tour first and kind of find out where the league will succeed and be at its best. And so that's what this summer will be, and then hopefully next summer will be able to kind of plant those teams in certain cities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel pretty good about the chances that Chicago Bandits will be the team that the Bandits become, based on the fact that they very smartly use the sort of light blue and red from the Chicago flag, the star, all the things that we loved about the Chicago Red Stars logo, which they changed when they became the Chicago Stars. So the Bandits are giving us back team to root for that has the elements of the flag and the history there. They compete on Jenny Finch Way, for God's sakes in Rosemont, Illinois, So.
Speaker 2: I feel pretty good about that one.
Speaker 1: You mentioned twenty four games per team, so forty eight games total for the fourteen league in this first season and then a best of three championship series in Tescalosa on June twenty sixth through twenty eighth, So lots to look forward to, lots of games to watch.
Speaker 2: You know, as a.
Speaker 1: Player in an earlier iteration of professional softball, you have firsthand knowledge of what's been lacking and what was the.
Speaker 2: Next step for this sport.
Speaker 1: What did you suggest to athletes unlimited in some of those meetings. What are some of the most important resources, amenities, priorities for players that you insisted that they have in this new league.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you know, and honestly, playing in Chicago it was such a dream and my first call was to the owners of the Chicago Bandits from way back when, and just with a huge heart of gratitude and appreciation because they did it. When I mean it's never going to be easy, but man, like, they gave us a shot and we had the opportunity to play. But honestly, you know, to think of where it is now, like this is truly professional softball, and you know, honestly, I had to pinch myself so many times throughout this process because childcare.
Speaker 3: Health insurance, training funding like this stuff was.
Speaker 4: You know, we didn't even have walker rooms. We were using the same restrooms as the fans pretty much. And so just to see how far we've come. And then obviously Athletes Unlimited has had success in the past, but it was sixty athletes and they were in Chicago, and then every week they would rotate teams. The top four athletes according to their point system would then be the captain head coach of those teams. But I think, you know, we listened to the fans and the fans of course, with softball being a team score, I think that is the most beautiful team sports. And so being able to really kind of put a name to a team, to a mascot and eventually a city will be something really really special. And for me too, I love to see the adjustments and see how who works together and that camaradery on the field, and I think being able to have a team together for a summer that's going to showcase just the beauty of our game on and off the field. And so I think that's what and the players too, you know, it's it's really tough getting to know teammates that and then the next week you know you're.
Speaker 3: Playing against that person. And so kudos to what they've done.
Speaker 4: And we will still have the championship series at the end of the summer, and those will be the top athletes from the league, the top right right to play in that, which will be super exciting, and and they'll be you know, repping their team, and then the players of that team. And I think two which is a really really special dynamic is these athletes, the majority of them have played together in Athletes Unlimited and all under the same roof for a couple of summers now, so these athletes really really know each other, which I think is a unique dynamic as well.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you called the owners of the Chicago Bandits.
Speaker 2: What did you want to ask them?
Speaker 1: What did you want to get from them as you were trying to help build this league.
Speaker 4: Mainly it was just just showing gratitude and appreciation, and you know, we were super close and still are super close, but it was just kind of showing my respect and letting them know that we would not be in this position if it wasn't for them. And I think even all I think of all of the families and teams that hosted like my camps when I was going on tour and we went to like twelve cities a summer, and it was just like all of the growth of the game, you know, and that was how we can kind of we're able to make money and still compete and train for the Olympic Games. Was doing camps and clinics and speaking engagement because that allowed us the flexibility to work around our training schedule and competition schedule and so just you know, just full circle moment and just so appreciative of that's cool.
Speaker 3: We're finally here.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, obviously bringing Kim ing on was just that next step of Okay, this is legit. Her MLB background of being a general manager. It's just you know, you can't compare to her leadership, her knowledge, her experiences that she has, and then to be able to bring that over on our side, we're extremely, extremely blessed to have her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that sort of looking back and saying, now that I'm putting together a league, Wow, do I understand what y'all did for us when you put together those initial leagues and then looking forward and saying, what does it look like if we put in place this incredibly successful MLB exec who has bigger budgets, bigger investments, bigger resources, and how does that affect the choices we make here and how big our swings are here? You mentioned Kim Eng the new commissioner. This signaled a real commitment to getting the best and doing this right. What do you make of her first moves at the position and her approach to the newly going forward? What has sort of stood out to you?
Speaker 3: I think just her.
Speaker 4: Consistency and relatability at the same time being who she is and what she's done and accomplished.
Speaker 3: And I think her her.
Speaker 4: Passion and she's just she's very even keel And it hasn't been easy, you know, signing athletes and trying to get them to buy in and be on board because it is it is all new for everybody across the board, and so just really thankful of who she is and how she goes about her business and her professionalism that she brings on so many levels.
Speaker 3: And I think to the people.
Speaker 4: She knows as well, and it's not we have to try it out. You know, she's been there, She's seen what works, what doesn't work, and how to manage. And I think I love the mentorship of her with our general managers as well. So our four general managers have her on speed dial and have access to her to help lead their ball clubs as well in this.
Speaker 3: So just really really cool support system. I think on so many levels that she brings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll talk about those gims in a second, but I want to first talk about the other folks she has on her speed dow, which is a lot of people at MLB. And last week we saw the announcement about the huge MLB investment into the AUSL, an incredibly exciting development. What does that partnership mean for AUSL and Pro Softball? The first time MLB has ever invested in this way in a professional softball league.
Speaker 4: It's a historical, monumental moment movement for us and couldn't be more thankful for Major League Baseball stepping up to the plate and not just saying yes, we support it, but you know, putting money where their mouth is. And when we were on the call to get the news, it was Natasha Wattley and I with Kim Ang and Sarah put Off from MLB as well, who works with the MLB development side, and there was a room full of press there to witness this moment and and it was just like, they're they're going to back this and they're going to do it the right way. And so I think that's what excites me the most is it's not just a headline of you know, MLB supports a us L. It's it's truly legit and they're they're stepping up to the plate and good things are coming.
Speaker 3: They're sharing their platforms.
Speaker 4: My feeds are just insane on Emibe Network, MLB dot Com. I mean, they are truly all hands on deck. And I love it too because the writers truly have a passion and care about AUSL and the players, and that's that's what we need.
Speaker 3: We need to build stars.
Speaker 4: We need to be able to tell their stories and showcase who they are, what they do and how great they do it, and just start building those connections with and I think, obviously we have softball fans on deck, but we need a wider, broader audience. We need we need mainstream America to back this and to be behind it and know the superstars of the AUSL.
Speaker 1: Obviously such a great product that's been so clear across the college landscape and even at the pros the people who get into it know. But being able to have a whole brand new, giant audience to tune in and be introduced to it in this way through the MLB is really great. I need to ask, what's the dog's name? The dog made a little appearance with a little bark in his no. I was hoping he wasn't in the no he is, and I'm loving it. To be honest with you, I'm a huge dog person.
Speaker 3: This is Frankie.
Speaker 2: Hi, Frankie.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that he literally just came up and sat next to you, like I would like to be involved in this interview.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Ask me my opinion.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the GMS legendary names like kat Osterman and Lisa Fernandez are among the first four. How important is it to have those former players in decision making positions alongside you? Mentioned the incredible ambassadors that were called in some of the best of the best to ever play. This is something Athletes Unlimited is known for. They go to the athletes. They go to the players even while they're currently playing, and say, what do you want, what do you need? How do we make this league for you. They're really thriving in that way, especially at the top with this new league. What does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I truly think it's it's for the athlete, by the athlete. They've done such and honestly, I was skeptical at the beginning and I kind of I supported it, but I wasn't ready to jump on board. And then you know, just asking the athlete, Hey, what's your experience, like, like what you know? How is Athletes Unlimited? Everything I heard was nothing but positive feedback, and they truly do care about the athletes. The athletes have a voice, and so it's it's been, you know, pretty special for the athletes to be so involved.
Speaker 3: And then I think built by athletes.
Speaker 4: And we had coaches, and we had great coaches, but these athletes all came from the best programs in the country. And my goal, our goal as advisors was, like I wanted them to step foot in pro softball and then get the next level to then.
Speaker 3: Elevate their game. And I think that's what we've never had, is I mean.
Speaker 4: We're peaking in college basically, and then after that it's just trying to like sustain and you're you're trying to get access to coaches and and now with technology and and you know, and it was it was difficult because obviously the best coaches have programs that they have to run, so that for them to then to summer out like there's no way that they're going to do that. And so it was a battle trying to figure out, you know, who's going to lead the way and what coaches will be able to pull it off.
Speaker 3: And I'm so thankful for our group that did because they are bar none.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what excites me the most is for the athletes to now be able to then elevate their game even greater and take it to the next level. And talking to some of the athletes just you know, as they reported last week, they're they're really really excited to pick the brains.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, being a former player, that was something that.
Speaker 4: I loved was getting to sit down and talk the game with my teammates. Honestly, like the USA Softball bullpen was like golden for me because we shared information, we helped each other, we were you know, working, and it was the best of the best.
Speaker 3: Like iron sharpens iron.
Speaker 4: And that's what this pro league will have with the leadership that it's under, the coaching that it's under, and then to be able to have the technology and you know, everything at their team, at.
Speaker 3: Their disposing your kiah to be a success and to be the best that they can be. So and I think even thinking down the road even more for me, I.
Speaker 4: Think about USA Softball and this is the training ground for the Olympics twenty twenty eight will be here before we know it. And now we have the best in our sport, the best in our country playing against each other, and so truly like this is this is the path And you know, I know coach Gasso and the entire USA staff is going to be looking at these athletes and you know, we never had that. It was only one or two events that the USA played in and that was what we had to go off for the summer. But now like they're going to be able to witness and watch these athletes continue to excel, and I think be even more prepared.
Speaker 3: Facing the best. This is the best of the best, So you're facing the best.
Speaker 4: All summer long now, So come twenty twenty eight, they're gonna they're gonna be ready.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder you're around all these great folks, both in the ambassador room and as you're prepping for this league. How often has one or the other of you said, man, if only I was still playing, or man, I would have loved this when I was playing.
Speaker 3: I know, I just really like go spend some times in the time in the bullpen now.
Speaker 4: With just the technology and it's it's it's why. And I feel like every week there's something new, you know. And obviously there's that balance of being an out that you have to kind of I think to the challenge of the athletes today are like limiting and figuring out what information you need and then protecting and dismissing the information that you know is too much.
Speaker 3: But it's just so so cool just to.
Speaker 4: See the depth and what these athletes have and to see them work and shine. And I'm looking forward to, you know, seeing them play Saturday in Chicago opening day and getting the follow them all season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been There's been a lot of that across women's sports of late, and it is both so exciting and bittersweet to hear the ones who made the sports say I'm so I feel great about opening up these doors for the next generation. I feel great about being partly responsible for the money they're making and the endorsements they're getting and the TV deals that are happening. And also how cool would it have been to be able to participate and do all these cool things that they're getting to do when I was playing. So there's always this feeling of real pride and also just a little bittersweet of like, oh, that would have been cool.
Speaker 2: That would have been cool when I was around.
Speaker 1: You mentioned this weekend, we got a party, a brunch, we got games. Tell us a little bit what opening weekend for the AOSL is going to look like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Friday night are having just to get together and I think a celebration of where we're at and what's to come. Looking forward to that and seeing some old bandits that were coming in in Chicago, and I think the leaders in our game, in our sport, the gms, the head coaches, everybody will be there ready to go, and so looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: And then Kim Ang's doing I think donuts and.
Speaker 1: Something maybe yess how did I not?
Speaker 3: I failed on that one, but it was so cool.
Speaker 4: Not to repeat that, but dont and dinners with kim A and then the game. And so we'll be at the game in Chicago in Rosemond. What a cool stadium and everything that they've built there. So just that can be more grateful for the city of Rosemont because they've really truly backed our score for the last ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for those who don't know, right outside Chicago, and the stadium is on Jenny Finch Way. So that was actually a trivia question at a trivia night I was at a couple months ago, and I was like, I know this one, don't even I know what street. It's uneven.
Speaker 5: A couple of.
Speaker 2: Things before we go.
Speaker 1: At least one player in the league is still competing in the College World Series, which is going to wrap up either Thursday or Friday. Have any idea when they'll be joining things and how they'll be incorporated into the league.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't. I know. It's been so exciting.
Speaker 4: I mean not exciting that they've lost out the ones that have twelve golden tickets. We're just really really cool being able to go into their college programs atmosphere fan bases and celebrate them and give them the golden ticket to be drafted to AUSL. But then you know, we still have to sign them, and so you don't really know for sure if they're going to be committed. So just today Sam Landry is signed as a Bolt, and so that's one more check in the box.
Speaker 3: But yeah, who knows. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Hopefully, I'm sure as soon as possible, But then again, I'm sure they want to go back and celebrate and have a day or two, so I'm assuming within the next week hopefully.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, for those players whose college careers are done and they're heartbroken to not be walking away with a World Series title, there is a nice little bonus if what's next for them is signing a professional contract and getting to start in this new league. It's much better than looking out into the professional landscape and having to get a real damn job. Last question for you mentioned the technology. I've been fascinated. I have a friend who's a coach with the Chicago Cubs and sometimes lets me peek behind the scenes of what they're working on, including these like wild proprietary systems that are like basically a hologram, so when you're pitching, when you're batting against a pitching machine, it actually looks.
Speaker 2: Like the player who's pitch they're recreating.
Speaker 1: It looks like it's coming off the player's hand instead of just a pitch machine.
Speaker 2: And how different that is.
Speaker 1: What have you seen in the softball world that you're like, Man, my game would have been different if I had this back then.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I would just be the training aspect of it for me, like in the.
Speaker 3: Weight room, because we were just doing I mean with the knowledge that we had.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we were advanced at that point, and coach Candrea did such an incredible job with the Olympic team, and you know, reaching out and we saw the tiatrist, we saw you know, optometris, like everything and anything that we needed, but we're still so far behind.
Speaker 3: And so now just I.
Speaker 4: Think and even like nutrition was like we had no clue and it was terrible, honestly, our diets, and so I think just now even with like supplements and everything, and then and then again obviously technique, and I mean I think just you can see the spin rate, you can see.
Speaker 3: You know, the tunnel, the you know, the inages of movement.
Speaker 4: It's just it's insane, insane how much information and the tools and it just keeps continuing and it's so fast.
Speaker 1: But I think about that a lot, Like in college, we didn't do foam rolling and yoga and pilates and cryo and any of that stuff. We didn't even watch that much tape of what we were doing, and especially in track like field events, where it's like the position of your leg or your arm matter so much, and we like never looked and watched it. And now you could tape every single practice and every single game and like go back and really analyze. You don't want to get too obsessed with it, of course, but yeah, it feels like there's an inevitability to the marching on of new records and new speeds and everything else because of all the facilities and resources and everything else. Well, we're grateful that you came back to help the next generation and that he came on the show to tell us all about it. We're super excited for the start of AUSL. So thanks so much for the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Jenny for taking the time, and make sure you tune into the first AUSL games on Saturday. We had to take another break. When we return, we received a strongly worded email and we have a strongly worded response.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Slices.
Speaker 1: I just I have to share this message from Slice Melissa Tromboor, who wrote quote. While listening to the Hillary Night episode, I was reminded of Sarah's bucket list item to appear on SNL. Wanted to share that my golden retriever, Mulligan, has been on SNL twice. Here's a link to his appearance on the fiftieth anniversary show. Keep putting your wish out there in the universe, and I'll have Mulligan put in a good word for you. Next time he's at thirty Rock, the appearance will happen. End quote LESA. I'm dying first of all, Mulligan cute dog. Also sitting next to Julia Louis Dreyfus, I die amazing. Third, I can't decide if this makes me feel better or worse about having never fulfilled my dream to appear on the show. No wait, I can't decide worse. I feel worse. I'm so damn jealous of your dog. What does he have that I don't other than luscious golden locks, an adorable face, the ability to take direction, and undeniable charisma. Damn it, Mulligan, you're a star. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day. Stay tuned after the few in today's show for a surprise WNBA puzzle. It's from one of my appearances on the iHeart podcast The Puzzler.
Speaker 2: With aj Jacobs.
Speaker 1: See if you can get all the w related questions right, and if you feel so inclined, check out all three of my episodes on the Puzzler. This week, I had a whole lot of fun. We'll link to the Puzzler pod in our show notes. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy, and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy slices watch the guy who sent us an email about our Gimme a Minute segment rating five out of five. I remember you's review very early on in our show's history. Slice Brett wrote to us calling us out regarding our interview with Cheryl Swoops and the mention of complaints that she'd received about our Kaitlin Clark coverage. Well, he's back with another editorial suggestion. Unlike many of you, he did not enjoy our Gimme a Minute segment on how Kitlyn Clark's entry is being covered. He wrote, in part, good lord, I was really hoping that this season people would just stop.
Speaker 2: Being weird about Kaitlyn Clark. But here we are again.
Speaker 1: The segment today is not only bad, it's actively working against what you actually desire. I don't know how many times you or someone on your show have gone down this path, suggesting that other players and stories should be highlighted as opposed to the over coverage of Clark. But here you are doing the exact same thing. You do one segment on the show about the WNBA, and it again is centered on Clark. He continues, whining about people covering Clark too much? Is still covering Clark? Be the change you want to see in the world. Tell whoever came up with this segment to kick Rocks and come back with some original ideas. There are hundreds of stories you could have had here. He goes on to list a bunch of really great WNBA stories, from Kiki Eria fenn Sonya Citron Bawling out Early to Alessa Thomas Thriving in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: So Brett, first, I'm not going.
Speaker 1: To tell myself to kick rocks because I came up with the segment.
Speaker 2: But also, we.
Speaker 1: Love the passion you have for the WNBA, and we actually love all your story suggestions, and we agree that this season shouldn't be spent rehashing the same tired Angel versus Caitlin Brennan versus the league storylines. That being said, tackling problematic coverage and narratives is necessary. We saw that last year when people talked around the issues in the w for way too long and then things blew up and started to be truly harmful and sometimes even dangerous for players. So we will keep calling out issues when we think it's necessary, even if it means covering the coverage of Clark, and we will keep highlighting WNBA stories as well, like we did with the Marina Maybrey interview that ran the day after we received this email from you, to be honest and take you behind the curtain a little. The segment you didn't like was actually inspired by our desire to incorporate more opinions into the show outside of just the news, especially more WNBA opinions and some of those stories that you suggested. The first iteration just happened to be about the clerk injury, But maybe next time we'll chat about something like I don't know the Chicago sky being extremely disappointing, because lord knows, I got plenty to say about that. Now it's your turn, y'all, rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you next week. Good Game, Jenny, Good Game, ausl you puzzles and trivia about the Bible.
Speaker 2: I'm out, I know nothing.
Speaker 1: If you want to know what I mean, listen to my episodes of the Puzzler. The WNBA quiz they gave me is coming up next. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You could find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Gianna Palmer. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones. And I'm your host, Sarah Spain.
Speaker 6: We're going to mainline. I don't know if that's the right guy. All right, all right, a family fuzzle showing sip. We're in savor of puzzle.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 6: Uh, this one is about the w NBA. It's called hoops groups and every answer is going to be a rhyming phrase where one of the words is the name of a w NBA team. So, for instance, if I gave you the clue bad luck for Minnesota's w NBA team, that might be Linx Jinks. So they're all going to have the team and then so are you ready for clues?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 6: And by the way, these are often fictional. I'm not saying there is a jinx on links, so don't get me.
Speaker 7: There was last finals.
Speaker 6: Oh right.
Speaker 5: If you consider officials a Jigs.
Speaker 7: My physical therapist is for Minnesota and she we have this fight every time I see her.
Speaker 1: Now, that's great.
Speaker 6: College style housing for Seattle's w NBA team.
Speaker 1: M okay, I see what you're doing there. That would be uh dorms for the.
Speaker 6: Storm that's right, storm dorm or dorm doorm storm h Hammer and Great Whites owned by Los Angeles' WNBA.
Speaker 1: Team, Hammerheads and Grazed Whites. Oh, Los Angeles, I thought you said Las Vegas. I really doubted myself for a second. There we're talking about the Spark Sharks.
Speaker 6: That is correct, exactly while we're on Vegas. Let me try a Vegas one. I'll scroll down to that. Oh, this is what the Las Vegas team has on their sneakers to keep them from falling off.
Speaker 1: Also, the name of one of the teams in the new Unrivaled three on three league.
Speaker 5: This is the Aces Laces.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's a Laces team.
Speaker 1: There's a Laces in the three on three offseason league called Unrivaled and they have a really cool logo.
Speaker 6: And where are they from?
Speaker 1: So Unrivaled is everybody just goes to Miami for eight weeks and plays against each other.
Speaker 5: So they're not affiliated with cities yet, though.
Speaker 1: The belief is that they might keep getting more popular and then spin often try to get owners to buy and put them in cities to sort of.
Speaker 7: Like an off season league. That's very cool.
Speaker 6: I also love the boldness of calling it unrivaled when it is a rival league.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, But it's three on three, so I guess it's a technicality that they're really riding.
Speaker 6: Oh very good. Okay, I thought you meant three teams on three, but no, you're three. Oh very cool. This is a Catholic woman who lives in a convent who prays for Connecticut's w NBA team.
Speaker 5: She should be praying hard this season.
Speaker 1: If there's a team that needs divine intervention this season, it is the Sun.
Speaker 5: So they need help from a Sun's nun.
Speaker 6: There you go. And by the way, I was listening to a previous Good Game episode where you talked about an WNBA fan at the announcement of a new pope. So an actual nun.
Speaker 5: Yes, n she was Actually this was wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First of all, I'm from Chicago, so my phone has not stopped blowing up with memes about the Chicago Pope.
Speaker 5: We will never shut up about this.
Speaker 1: Other than New York, we were the last place you should have delivered my history making.
Speaker 5: We got Obama, we got Peyton, we got Jordan, and now we've got du Pope.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this woman was a nun in the crowded Saint Peter Square and on the back of her phone that she had lifted to take video of the new Pope, it had an Orlando Pride NWSL, which is women's professional soccer sticker on the phone, which I just loved and I would have been shot by except for my mom was actually a theology major in college and has several very good friends that became nuns, and they listened to my show and they're fans of sports and really into it. So I don't know why I always think nuns and priests and such.
Speaker 5: Are not regular people. But the Pope was that the White Sox world.
Speaker 7: The White Sox.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh you know, they they're just like us, Pope, they.
Speaker 6: Are, They are fantastic.
Speaker 7: But I have to share a story on the same thing. I went to a Jesuit high school in California and our college counselor, father Clemo, ran the football pool. Yes, right, so he was encouraging US high school kids to show up with you know, a couple bucks and bet on football with him.
Speaker 5: He wants us to gamble.
Speaker 1: Also, I would never trust the outcome of a religious leader, a legend that that you know, God wasn't on his side, right, I don't know. I just would feel like if he ever lost, I would question his connection good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what kind of pole does he have?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or she?
Speaker 5: What if?
Speaker 6: We finish up with a couple of w NBA players so teams uh and some of these are present play current players, some are past legends. This is a woodwind instrument owned by a former New York Liberty star. Rebecca is her first name. These are all last names.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was a I was a clarinet player, but I am familiar with the woodwinds.
Speaker 5: So this would be Lobo's Obo.
Speaker 6: That's right, Lobo's Obo exactly. And I know, Greg, I have been wanting to talk about the Liberty, so I'm giving you there we go.
Speaker 7: I was listening to your you know your your sort of pre season warm up episode, and I'm psyched for the Liberty. I have to say, I feel like Natasha Cloud might even be an upgrade from Courtney Vanderslout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different style, but defensively very different body type, much taller. Slute is such a great facilitator though, it'll be interesting in terms of just a steadying president who sets up the offense. But Natasha, as the kids would say, she's got riz anything else. She is bringing personality and excitement to a team that already has plenty.
Speaker 7: And her girlfriend is on the team too. That was a very little bit of tea you shared.
Speaker 6: Was Yes, that is so nice. Now has that ever happened on a men's team? Has there been a couple on a men's professional.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about that a lot aj that one thing people really are sleeping on in women's sports is that they're sleeping together, and that that is a very fun twist. And oftentimes announcers who don't quite know say, what great sportsmanship that those two opponents are so kind to each other, and we're like.
Speaker 5: They're together, right.
Speaker 1: But no, But in the p WHL, which is women's hockey, in the WNBA, in the NWSL, in all these leagues, there are these great stories in back Courtney vandersluteho he just mentioned who used to be on the Liberty came back to my Chicago Sky where she used to play with her wife, and her wife was the one who she assisted on a three and it helped her break a record.
Speaker 6: How can you that's so interesting?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: We don't know that it's never happened in men's sports, We don't totally, we don't know. I imagine it surely has, but it's you know.
Speaker 1: We don't get the fun of being nosy about it though, So where's the fun in that?
Speaker 7: No fun, no fun at all? All right?
Speaker 6: How about all right? Two more? What about these are some Burger King burgers eaten by Phoenix Mercury Star Khalia.
Speaker 1: Former Chicago Sky And I'm not sad about it still, Actually I am Khaliah Coppers Whoppers.
Speaker 6: That's it? You got it?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 6: Well, let's end with how about a chain of luncheonette restaurants owned by Atlanta dream Star Britney. So we're sticking with the burgers.
Speaker 1: This is someone who I accidentally called Britney Briner the other day, and I decided should be a nickname for when she's playing extra aggressive, when she's real Britney, or when she's making pickles.
Speaker 6: When she's making pickles very good.
Speaker 5: This would be Griner's Diners.
Speaker 6: You got it all right? Well, Sarah, you cruised.
Speaker 3: What a fun game?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Well, we are delighted to have you. Uh and we are lucky we get to have you come back tomorrow. So don't go, and I do.
Speaker 7: We'll do the Professional Women's Hockey League where they had no team names last season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that'll be a little tough.
Speaker 7: They had they just they started the league and they just were named for the cities. New York played Montreal.
Speaker 6: Oh, I see, But what that's.
Speaker 1: Cool about it was they actually intended to have names, but the copyrights leaked and the fans were so unimpressed by and they hadn't really fleshed out what was the real meaning behind it all, which you really need when you launch on your team and logo, Like we've got all these old teams like the Dodgers and the Knicks and the Yankees that no one really cares about the name and why it's sort of weird. But now when you launch a new on, the entire internet wants to know exactly why you chosen right, And they didn't have good stories for it, so they just scrapped it, went with city names and gave themselves a year to come back and have the proper logos and colors and stories.
Speaker 5: And I think that was a good idea by them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you can make it more of a contest with although then you'll end off with do you.
Speaker 5: Remember like face exactly?
Speaker 6: Sample I was going to say there was some ship in the British Navy.
Speaker 5: That's now I'm not gonna lie. That logo and that merch would be fire.
Speaker 1: I think if you ever actually named a team that you'd sell at a merchant.
Speaker 7: Right right, I might like it better than the New York Sirens.
Speaker 5: Make both Jesus all right.
Speaker 6: This is the extra credit for the folks at home. This is a data about the Washington w NBA team. This is data and numbers about the Washington WNBA team. Thank you listeners, Thank you Sarah. And if you have thirty seconds please, we would love it if you would rate the puzzler on your favorite podcast platform, because it really it just makes a difference, believe it or not. That's the way these algorithms work. And we'll see here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.