Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty This is pretty smart. Have you ever noticed just how conflicted our relationship with technology is. We are in the ultimate love hate relationship when it comes to the Internet and social media in particular. We just seem so torn. We can't seem to decide if these advances divide us or connect us. Are we getting smarter, more worldly, or are our attention spans diminishing. Wherever you look, there's studies to prove whatever theory you'd like to subscribe to. A recent article in The Atlantic takes a look at how the inability to stay logged off of social media can best be compared to alcohol addiction, and.
Speaker 2: It gives us more equal opportunity in what we do, and that it enhances the way we think about things.
Speaker 1: Were skeptics and addicts, and with all the research into social media and the impact on our mental health, we all forget that the internet can be a really fun and joyful place. Our guest today, Taylor Lorenz, has core memories of the Internet's early days. Taylor is unique in that she saw the power of the Internet and technology far ahead of some of her bosses and colleagues. She was covering internet culture early on, So it would make sense that the title of her book is extremely Online in the way that Taylor was a pioneer in wanting to cover the Internet, and she reminded me that women were pioneers when it came to creating it and harnessing its power.
Speaker 3: Some women were taught to be the earliest computer programmers. Actually, people don't know that because it was considered this easy job for women to do. You could train them up in computer programming. Then it turned into this male dominated tech industry. Really when Silicon Valley took hold in the eighties and really the nineties was like the boom of Silicon Valley.
Speaker 1: Her book and our conversation today is all about the history of the Internet, social media, and influencer culture, from its humble beginnings to ridiculous controversies. Taylor has watched it all and she's been taking notes.
Speaker 3: The concept of online influence has migrated just from fashion and beauty to politics, to business to everything.
Speaker 1: We have an expert with us, so I had to ask all the things I was curious about, from why TikTok gets a bad rap.
Speaker 3: It's not social media that's making us dumber. TikTok is informing us about the world like we are gathering information. I would say TikTok is making us smarter than you know a lot on Instagram.
Speaker 1: To why being an influencer isn't all that easy.
Speaker 3: Being a content creator is so much work and productizing yourself build I mean, you're building your own media company. They're laughed at because they're conventionally attractive, beautiful women and businessmen or whatever don't take them seriously, and tech reporters don't take them seriously.
Speaker 1: And how about Taylor's own experience online.
Speaker 3: It's a very hard industry to operate it, and so I've gotten a lot of hate. It was really hard for me. I felt very alone, and I cannot think of another female tech reporter that's sort of operating at the level that I've been operating at.
Speaker 1: I followed Taylor's work for a long time. I've always admired how creative and inventive she is. She's forged her own path within legacy institutions. That is not an easy thing to do. It was really fun for me to finally meet the person whose work I've followed for so long. I hope you enjoy listening to this conversation as much as I enjoyed having it so Taylor. Your book is titled extremely Online, and I've been hearing that more and more these days. It's sort of internet slang. I guess, now, what does it mean to be extremely online?
Speaker 3: Good question. I feel like we are all sort of increasingly extremely online. It just means being more and more plugged into digital culture and also just the Internet playing a bigger and bigger role in everyone's lives. When I started out on this beat back in two thousand and nine, you know, it was very much this concept of like logging on and oh like things happening online. And now Internet culture is just culture, and you know, the Internet just plays a bigger and bigger role in every single aspect of our society, from economy, politics, you know, culture, music, fashion, it's all shaped by the Internet.
Speaker 1: I like that you mentioned your beat because I think I've probably been following you since you started reporting on digital culture and Internet trends. It's been thirteen years now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know you're not I mean, it's weird because those of us that grew up on the Internet are not, I think, starting to feel like we're in a different age bracket.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting what being online means now. But I think it's so interesting that you report about the Internet on the Internet and when you started, this was not a beat. You really sort of invented it. How did it come about?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, so when I started, I started as a blogger back in sort of the heyday of blogging, and I really felt like people weren't writing about the Internet as a user. It was more like these sort of boomer type people at legacy mainstream publications that had sort of never really used social media before, but they were writing about social media as if they knew what was going on, and a lot of it was really condescending. It was really out of touch. I think the media still had this problem, and so I wanted to write about social media sort of as a user. At that time when I was coming up there, it was this like heyday of gadget blogging, and so there were all these people that were blogging who actually used the products like the new iPhone or the new Mac computer or whatever, but they would write about it from the perspective of people that had used it, and so I thought I would do that, but for social media, you know, just try and write about things happening online from the user side.
Speaker 1: I think I always gravitated towards you because of that, because there also you were really like the only woman that I saw doing it, and you were writing about the Internet that I was growing up with. You weren't writing about necessary. I mean sometimes you would, but a lot of these male tech reporters as they were called, were writing like reviews on the new iPhone, and that's not the Internet that I was interested in necessarily.
Speaker 3: I feel the exact same way. I feel like there's this thing in tech. It's such a male dominated field, and there's this obsession with like hardware and you know, tough like things, and look, you know, I went back to school, I learned how to code, I learned web development. I'm into that technical side of things. But yeah, I'm got a.
Speaker 1: Little known fact by out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I love technology and I'm interested in that side of things. But I think what makes you know, writing about it interesting to me is more like the cultural impact and how it's shaping you know, our lives, and especially the content creator industry. Like one thing that I noticed really early on covering these platforms, it's just that there were these people with massive audiences wielding a huge amount of influence and shaping the products, and these people were totally ignored by Silicon Valley. A lot of them were women. It was a lot of you know, mommy bloggers, fashion bloggers, lifestyle bloggers. I mean it started with blogging that all emerged on Pinterest, Instagram, all these platforms. But I think because it was sort of seen as this like female coded industry, the male tech reporters didn't take it seriously or touch it or cover any of it. And I thought, well, I'll do it, then I'll cover all of that. I love that stuff and it's fascinating, and again it has real tech impacts. I mean, look at the way that now Silicon Valley vcs talk about people like mister Beast, you know, like how he's a productized himself and oh he's launching products. He's not just an influencer. Beauty YouTubers were doing that, you know, twelve years ago. They were launching their own makeup lines and palettes, and people like Michelle von and Ingrid Nielsen, and so yeah, I just wanted to kind of set the record straight with my book too, of like how this whole thing came to be and the role that influential users and especially women played in it.
Speaker 1: I don't see you tweeting, because tweeting is, you know, controversial now, but I used to see you tweeting a lot about the bullying and harassment you received. A lot of it was very gendered. I don't see you talking about that as much as it still is prevalent, and you're just bored of discussing it or what's happening sort of behind the scenes for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it got really crazy in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, especially at the time I was working at The New York Times, which I loved my editor. I would dive for my editor there. She was amazing, and I loved my team. But I think structurally that company was not really set up to deal with the level of harassment I got. That's not a knock on them, They just didn't They weren't prepared for it, you know. I think that now all these news organizations are sort of learning how to deal with you know, when your reporter is getting thousands and thousands of death threats a day or all of this horrible stuff. Er they're targeting her family, Like how do we respond to that? So it was really hard for me. I felt very alone, and I was on Twitter more sort of talking about it. But it's been hard. I mean, I operate in a very male world. I cannot think of another female tech reporter that's sort of operating at the level that I've been operating at other than Kara Swisher, who's a woman in her sixties, and it's sort of from a different generation. She came up in a different time when there wasn't this twenty four to seven or feedback on the Internet and scrutiny. And she's also a lesbian and doesn't present as feminine as me, and I think that there's just a sort of a difference in how we're perceived. I cannot think of a feminine presenting tech reporter that really has risen the ranks to that level. It's a very hard industry to operate it, and so I've gotten a lot of hate. When I first started reporting on influencers and I was reporting on big things, you know, it was like the way that these influencers were actually like they you know, had sold so much product for instance, that Instagram had to redo, you know, a feature or whatever. Like there was all these impacts that were having on the tech world. But when I tried to call myself a tech reporter, these men in the industry freaked out. They were like, well, you're not reviewing iPhones or you're not writing about Microsoft's latest earnings. You can't call yourself a tech reporter.
Speaker 1: You feel respected now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I think I got the last laugh. I mean this is we know that the influencer industry is about to be a half a trillion dollar industry. The concept of online influence has migrated just from fashion and beauty to politics, to business to everything. So I feel fine about my life now. But I used to talk about it more because I think it was really I was really sort of like fighting to take up space.
Speaker 1: I get why you were talking. I actually think it was helpful that you were talking about it because people were people that were going through similar things in different industries, probably related, and people who warrant got an inside look into what that was like. I mean it was the things you would post were horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was bad. It was really bad.
Speaker 1: I don't have like the breath of understanding to speak about this that well, but I do know just from my own experience that when you are a woman on the Internet, the sort of mean tweets that you get are usually really scary because a lot of them have to do with like harming you, and so that's and maybe like you're saying, harming your loved ones. So that's what's scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's a gendered like there's this like gendered nature to it too, like yeah, I mean, one thing that I constantly get is like told now that I'm in my thirties that I'm too old to write about tech. And it's so funny because throughout my entire twenties, when I was like building this career for myself, they were like this silly little girl. I mean, Tucker Carlson was saying, like, I'm too, I'm younger than everyone else at the New York Times, And how did I even get this job. I'm such a young, unqualified girl. Then you turn thirty and now as I'm too old. Meanwhile, Walt Mosburg icond of the industry. But you know, there's all these other tech colonist men. Yeah, they're in their forties and sixties, and no one would ever say that. So it's women are subject to a very different you know, and this is true in every industry. You're held to a completely different standard.
Speaker 1: So your book sort of paints this overview of social media and the Internet in a way I hadn't heard told before. This is going to sound like probably the most ridiculous question that you will ever get in an interview, But just so we can start baseline, how did the internet start?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, good question. It started way back, you know, in like the sixties and sort of emerge in the seventies. I'm sure you guys have seen those like giant you know, computers that like took up the size of a room. And it actually started with women. I mean some women were taught to be the earliest computer programmers. Actually, people don't know that because it was considered this easy job for women to do. You could train them up in computer programming. That's yeah, that's why some of the first and most famous early computer programmers were women. Then it turned into this male dominated heech industry. Really when Silicon Valley took hold in the eighties, and really the nineties was like the boom of Silicon Valley and you saw these corporate you know, companies like behemoths submerge. My interest in the Internet sort of started in the late nineties as a millennial. I mean obviously I had like aim, I had Facebook in college, but it wasn't really until that sort of like social part of the Internet took off that I really started to fall in love with it, which was really kind of that turn. It's really when my book begins, it's like the year two thousand, I am.
Speaker 1: Isn't that when like everybody thinks Al Gore started the Internet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you remember.
Speaker 1: So what is a digital reporter? And I would say digital culture reporters daily relationship with the Internet, like like paint me sort of a picture of your social media routine.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it's slightly horrifying. I don't like to look at my screen time too much because I am online kind of from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I wait, going online.
Speaker 3: Extremely online, But that's okay. I love I mean, it's such a dream job for me, and I do have a lot of hard boundaries as well. But I wake up, I immediately roll over took my phone and after checking sort of Slack and email and stuff, I just dive in and see what people are talking about online. I live in LA so by the time I get up around six or seven, you know New York has already been up for a few hours in the UK, so you know, you sort of get a sense of what's trending, what people are talking about. And my day is a mix of meeting people in person, interviewing. I do a lot of video stuff. I do TV hits, I do podcasts like this, and then I'm writing in between all of that, and I just kind of dip in and out all throughout the day. But I'm online twenty four to seven. I don't have a huge boundary of like work hours, just because the Internet, everything happens at any time, So I kind of every day is a mix of all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I always say my days are like fire drills. It sounds like yours are the same way.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's such a good way to put it. I feel this same way.
Speaker 1: So when I first moved to LA in twenty thirteen, my first real job was at this place called Clever TV, which was under defined. Yeah, and for anybody who doesn't know. It was sort of this YouTube conglomerate. They housed like ten of the largest YouTube channels with smash games and Clever was their entertainment outlet. And that's where I first really learned the Internet. I didn't know. I had always been like a user for fun and this was a job. And I learned about SEO and strategy and content creation and the whole thing. And I learned that there was an entire vocabulary to the Internet.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Some people say the Internet is culture. I think it's still a subculture because there's so many subcultures that make up our culture. Do you remember the exact moment when it became abundantly clear to you that the Internet had its own culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess I always thought of the Internet as a separate sort of thing, like it was really my Space era. I just remember a lot of people at my school had MySpace. It was really kind of those early two thousands when I started to really notice this like MySpace culture or that like emo culture, and although I was definitely not part of it, it kind of just it was this like thing that I became aware of that, like things were happening online and what.
Speaker 1: Were you blogging about?
Speaker 3: So I started blogging more like later after that, Like I would say, if that was sort of like two thousand and four to two thousand and six. I started blogging really seriously in two thousand and nine when I got Tumblr. But Tumblr had all this social functionality. I would just go through and like and engage with everyone that I saw on Tumblr, and I started to get followers, and I started to get people who knew who I was. But it was that social aspect that I really liked.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, what were you getting from it? Did you feel like you were making friends? Did you feel like did you have friends at school and then felt like this was a separate life or yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I had a really hard time in school academically, and so I had transferred through many school I had really hard time. I was always really good at making friends, but school wise, I had a hard time, and I never felt like I fit in. So I think I would be sort of a chameleon and just like adjust to these expectations of myself that were sort of like very rigid. And when I got on Tumblr, I was like, oh my god, there's all these people that are just not buying into this, you know, Like I mean, I think as a girl in the mid two thousands, like there was this obsession with being thin and beautiful and sort of meeting these beauty standards. And I remember being on Tumblr and seeing that was the first time I had seen a fat person post a picture of themselves in a bikini and not like I remember seeing that and being like, oh my god, I can't believe this girl put this on the Internet. And there were so many things like that, just like not just the body positivity movement, but it exposed me to like just this wider range of viewpoints that I grew up with. I grew up in a sort of a narrow, pretty conservative town and just the suburbs, you know, like a lot of us. And so yeah, Tumblr really opened my world. And I was like, and I had moved to New York at that point, I had graduated college, and so I was like, wait a minute, there's like a whole world out here, and these people are really cool and interesting, and even people that I didn't agree with, I just kind of wanted to like meet them and talk to them and you know, experience life outside just what I had been exposed to.
Speaker 1: So I'm so interested in the photo that you just mentioned because one of my questions for you is about women online. So I go to like and MCEE a lot of female founder events, and one of the things I'm always taken by is like, it's so much harder to be a woman in business, to be a woman in any industry. But one of the things I see that benefits us is how we gather. Men don't gather the same way. And I see it happening on the internet. I think TikTok and correct me if I'm wrong. TikTok seems like a female run platform or female led at least. Is that true?
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, and I think that's exactly why so many men refuse to take it seriously. I mean, just it's so funny. I had this bet with my friend Katy Newton, who I love and he's actually a phenomenal gay man. He took TikTok seriously, but he was still had this like silicon value mentality where I remember we made a bet like will TikTok still be relevant in a year? I was like, this was back in twenty nineteen, and I was like, this is like the single most relevant platform ever. What are you talking about? This is like where especially I'm a huge reality TV pop culture stan and like, that's just like where people were talking about stuff. And he was like, Oh, it's just a silly dance app. It's going to be gone. And I think actually a lot of Silicon Valley men they just wrote it off. It's an app for community and talking and culture and things that are considered maybe soft or like entertainment adjacent. But now you're seeing the power of social media. I think women have always dominated social media.
Speaker 1: When I watch TikTok, and for some reason, maybe it's my age, I'm thirty two, I actually enjoy Instagram more, which is not a opinion most people enjoy like they report feeling happier using TikTok. But when I see the whole trend of story time with women doing their makeup and talking to camp. I saw Gloria Steinhem speak live and she said, one of the most feminist things we can do is share our honest stories with each other. And I'm like, what an incredible way to share our stories. And it's so much, it's global, it's diverse, pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, and I love that and I think, like, I mean, just that concept of story time and the makeup tutorials and stuff, those are all formats that were pioneered by women that you know, I think it's so yeah, it's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Where do you see the platform going in the next year. I know, they kind of just launched TikTok shop in a.
Speaker 3: Real way, TikTok is. The growth has been astounding. They switched up leadership at the company recently, so I think that they're definitely like they're being more aggressive than they were previously. But shopping is I mean, they want to just turn that into like an e commerce powerhouse, which makes sense. I mean Instagram tried to do the same thing we have Instagram Shop.
Speaker 1: I think Instagram has become a virtual mall.
Speaker 3: It is one hundred percent, and I think TikTok is going that way. Unfortunately, I mean the problem is that these tech companies they have to monetize users somehow, and it's either ads or shopping or you know, something where they can get a cut of the profits. I don't think TikTok's ever going to be like I don't think it's going to be fully just products. But if you look at Uyin, which is the Chinese version of TikTok, it's very it's totally separate, but that has like heavy e commerce integration. People shop on there all the time.
Speaker 1: I've seen on video circulate online about how TikTok in China feeds their users smarter, more elevated content, and part of it is that they want the US to be dumbed down? Is there any truth?
Speaker 3: No, that is the dumbest thing ever. There's constantly that conspiracy and I was actually talking to a friend in China about that because that is not true whatsoever. TikTok's a very global platform, so you know each region is different, but your TikTok feed is very much a reflection of what you engage with and what the algorithm anticipates you will engage with. So it is possible to change your algorithm and stop engaging with stuff like that if you feel like it's dumbing you down, you know, seek out different content. But that is a conspiracy that people have had. And also it's not social media that's making us dumber. TikTok is informing us about the world like we are gathering information. I would say TikTok is making us smarter than you know a lot on Instagram. I love Instagram, but Instagram's a very visual in nature, and I would say YouTube is probably the closest competitor. There's a huge amount of information on there.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the role and the evolution of the influencer.
Speaker 3: There was this whole period in the two thousands where there were these bloggers, really, most notably mommy bloggers, which is kind of a term that a lot of them don't like but sort of came to embrace because there was no better term. It was women blogging about their experiences of motherhood. They were the first people really on the Internet to monetize their personal brands at scale. So they you know, there were men writing about politics and tech and all these other things. They were monetizing their blogs, but they weren't They didn't have this cult of personality and they weren't monetizing their lives the way that mommy bloggers were. So mommy bloggers really sort of pioneered the influencer world along with MySpace celebrities, you know, Jeffree Stars, some of them are still with us, but they were sort of developing these cults of personality, and it wasn't until kind of YouTube and social media took off, really the rise of YouTube, vine and Instagram, Pinterest, like this sort of early twenty tens boom of digital media that you saw what we now consider the influencer industry to emerge. And even then the first half the twenty tens, they weren't called influencers yet, they were called these platforms. It was YouTuber, viner, instagrammer. And then once the marketing dollars really started pouring in the mid twenty fifth teens, that's when you saw the term influencer come to be and that sort of modern usage.
Speaker 1: I find it interesting that there's sort of a I don't want to say negative connotation, because it's not negative, but there's sort of like an iroll connotation associated with influencer. Living in la and being friends with some influencers and being in the digital world. They first of all, they work so hard, most of them like it's a very taxing job. So I don't feel the iroll in any way, But I do see the role of influence changing. When I look on Instagram the perfect aesthetic photo, and I think this is impart due to TikTok, But that perfect photo almost feels like twenty seventeen cosplay, Like I'm like, wait, what am I looking at?
Speaker 3: When I wrote this piece, it's called the Instagram Aesthetic is Over, and it was this piece I wrote in twenty nineteen. Yeah, with the rise of TikTok and all this stuff, and it.
Speaker 1: Was, well, you wrote this in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was when it all started. Yeah, when I got that story, a bunch of those influencers that had built their careers off this really hypercurated look, they started to notice that their followers were stagnant. And twenty nineteen is also when TikTok started to really take off. It hadn't entered sort of the mainstream twenty twenty. I think the pandemic like made it go bonkers. But twenty nineteen is when the hype house launched Charlie Demilio took off. Like you just started to see more raw content, and yeah, it's totally changed. I don't think people want that hypercurated look for Miraad reasons. It's also just impossible to keep up with. It's unrelatable, and I think it burned a lot of influencers out trying to, you know, keep up with that. It's like you had to edit every picture, you had to look so perfect. And as we move towards video, it's a little bit harder. I mean, there's still so many aspirational people online. But that term influencer, I will say, I think it's very gendered. I think when you say influencer, it's just this notion of like influencers are just these vapid women, you know, out selling their bodies, and that's not what it is. It's actually extremely hard. Being a content creator is so much work and productizing yourself built. I mean you're building your own media company. Basically, you're building your own you're an entrepreneur, and but they're not thought of as entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: The men are, Like I just interviewed Marquez Brownlee at the conference, and he's incredibly impressive. But there are also a bunch of women who have built empires just as large as his, and because they're in he's in tech, and they're in different industries and so they're not looked at as these like sort of boy wonders exactly.
Speaker 3: And the people building those massive, you know, brands were women and a lot of times it was around beauty and fashion. I mean I talked about this in my book, but I mean Ari L. Charnis like what she did at Nordstrom and the way I mean Nordstrom sort of latched onto the influencer sort of business really early and noticed very early the sales that it could drive. But there were these women that were selling out millions of dollars in product building this whole distribution networks for their you know, fashion or accessory lines and just and productizing themselves. And they have huge content studios, and they also employed dozens of people, sometimes even more than that, you know, But they're not looked at as entrepreneurs. They're laughed at because they're conventionally attractive beautiful women, and businessmen or whatever don't take them seriously, and tech reporters don't take them seriously.
Speaker 1: So I think we hear a lot about the corporate side of the story when it comes to social media, Like I immediately think about the Facebook movie right like about how it was founded. We hear less about influencers that have really shaped these platforms, who are like four standouts to you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, such a good question. Yeah, there's so many interesting people. I mean, I think Hea theyre armstrong. Unfortunately she passed away recently. She was a blogger. I don't know that she shaped the platform, but what she did was she was one of the first to really monetize through sponsored posts on her page, and I think she changed blogging really and sort of how people thought about integrating branded content into their own feeds. I know that sounds silly, but like it was so pioneering. She really deserves credit other people. I mean, Michelle Fon, she was this massively popular like beauty blogger, and I think showed a lot of people on the YouTube side, like the level of business acumen that these people could have and kind of how big their business could become. Other women, I mean, I write about Julia Allison in my book as well. She also shaped Tumblr so much, like she had this really symbiotic relationship with Tumblr and her audience and kind of like all the time, like these tech companies sort of there was a push and pull with the way that they treated women. I mean, Charlie Dmilio is another good example, right, Like so much of TikTok's success and the way that it got into the mainstream was people being like, who is this girl that suddenly everyone's fascinated with and she's you know, sitting front row at the Louis Vuitton show or whatever. Right, and so, but I think these tech companies will almost always resent their power users and kind of have this tension with them because what's in the best interest of the power users is not always in the best interests of the platform, and so they never want to overly affiliate themselves with these people. But that at the same time, these people in these personalities, often women are the ones that are mainstreaming their platforms.
Speaker 1: And why do you think it's women?
Speaker 3: I mean, women are just the ones to build audiences. Like if you look at a lot of the like, I think it's about community. I think it's because women are shoppers, women are communicators, you know. Women. I look at someone like Amber Ven's box who transform the industry. She built reward Style. A lot of people know what it's like to know it. I don't think that Instagram would have built all those e commerce features had she not built reward Style into such a massive business. And I think that takes a woman to do a lot of this stuff. And she's another one. I guess that would be my fourth of Like, I mean, she's just like pioneered that whole dotion of monetizing Instagram when Instagram didn't want ads that that was at a time when Instagram was like, no, we hate all of that, we don't want any of that, and she recognized that the e commerce potential.
Speaker 1: You have this chapter titled Breakdown and Burnout, and it does sort of it talks about the Instagram aesthetic that is no longer as popular. When you think about gen z and what they're wanting from social media, what are they wanting? I see them use it completely differently than I do.
Speaker 3: One thing that younger users use it more is it's more integrated. They don't think of their sort of online selves as separate. They don't have that strong separation. I think because it's been integrated into their life for so long. They're very comfortable making digital connections. Do you remember, I mean, I think we're like around like both women and their authorities. Like, it used to be very weird to have like an online friend or be like, oh I met this person online, Like there was a stigma around that.
Speaker 1: Even told someone, they'd be like are you safe? Like call us yeah.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent whereas like young people, it's just it's so much more normalized. Online dating I think helped really shuffle that era in of it like meeting people, just the way it changed our social perceptions of the Internet. But they're much more likely to make online connections, to find communities online. They also do want more privacy. I think we grew up in this era of like everything you post is public, it's permanent, and it's going to the entire world.
Speaker 1: And you are drinking a beer on Facebook, not getting into college.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And I think now there's this understanding of like, we're all human in some ways, and I think, like I think just from a personal level, people don't want that right they want That's why you see young people gravitating towards more ephemeral forms of media, whether it's Snapchat, whether it's just the stories feature on Instagram that skews much younger and sort of more private spaces like discord and Facebook groups.
Speaker 1: Do you see AI revolutionizing social or just sort of being in addition to.
Speaker 3: No one hundred percent? I mean, if you think of AI already, that's what led to TikTok's success. Was there incredible algorithm built on this really sophisticated, you know AI systems, so it's already shaping our world through AI driven algorithms. I think AI creative tools are also becoming increasingly popular, things like the green screen feature. You know, like we've seen these new formats take off. People don't think of that as AI, but it really is. I mean, I use an AI editing tool that sort of strips the white space from all my videos because I pause too much. So I think as creative tools it'll be great. I think the image generation and video generation stuff is scary to people who do that sort of creative work. Same thing with writing, but it's so it's we're still really far off from when that stuff can truly replace, you know, human creatives. And I think there will always be a role for human creativity. So I don't think it's like the end of the world.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I've been interviewing a bunch of people on it, and I'm actually sort of hopeful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too. I'm a tech optimist though, so I you know, ultimately, I'm like, I think it'll be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a life optimist, so I get it. Do you think that there is anything out there that people are really craving when it comes to social that hasn't been popularized or even created yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that there's signs that people want simultaneous experiences online, and I don't think any company has really successfully been able to productize that. I think things like Clubhouse and be Real, like Clubhouse offered these sort of simultaneous audio rooms. Be Real is all about sort of like taking this sort of simultaneous photos and experiencing these moments together and having a more closed network. I think people obviously want that, but I don't. Both Clubhouse and vi Real work up and down, you know, like it was a hype cycle and I don't see it. So I think that, like, I think people want more simultaneous connection and authentic forms of connection online, but I'm not sure any app has like truly unlocked that that sort of user desire.
Speaker 1: To me, the social interaction fuels real life interaction, Like there's still nothing that replaces your five senses. But yeah, that authentic connection online really does sort of strengthen what can be in real life totally. I've heard you say that Threads is like Disneyland. I want to know say what you mean by that, and b is that a hype cycle too, or you think Threads is here to stay?
Speaker 3: So I know, I meant Threads is like Disneyland in the sense that like it's very sterilized and very corporate, and you know, you saw every single brand on there in the first week, like interesting out there, Like it was so quickly embraced by brands, because brands have really fleed Twitter X, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: There's something wholesome about it. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's become such a cesspool. I don't generally use it anymore. I'm into Threads. We'll see. I think it's way too early. You know, Facebook does not have a good track record of building standalone products at all. But I think the initial use definitely shows a desire from people to to have some sort of tech space media. So I hope it sticks around. I'm rooting for Threads. Hate to root for Mark Zuckerberg, but I have to say in this instance, yeah, I like Threads.
Speaker 1: Well, I hate to root for Mark Zuckerberg just.
Speaker 3: Because he's already like so successful. He's already had Facebook. You know, he purchased Instagram at just the right time. Like he's fine. I would love to see a new entrepreneur, maybe not just like the usual kind of tech guys that we've already seen for the past decade. Like I would love someone new and interesting to build a Twitter replacement that really takes off and brings something new. I just don't think that'll happen.
Speaker 1: I was listening to an interview with Reid Hoffman, probably like a year and a half ago, and he was saying that there seems to be a trend that large social platforms take off every decade. So Facebook ten years later, was Instagram, ten years later was TikTok almost like today. Yeah, which is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Interesting. It's such a good observation, And I wonder if that's just because like you need that generational turnover almost, you know, for something to really break out. And I think a lot of the core use cases of Twitter, by the way, have already been subsumed by TikTok. What do you mean by that, like just in terms of, like, you know, Twitter used to be this place where you would go and get news about the world, like that was a core use case for it. I think people a would creasingly go to TikTok, you know, for instance, when there was like the war in Ukraine or whatever, people were learning about it through TikTok videos and like when news breaks, I was a big I'm big vander Pump rules person, and when there was all this drama on that show, like I'm going on TikTok to look at analysis videos, I'm not really going on Twitter for that anymore.
Speaker 1: You're right, there was a replacement.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: The great observation. So I think a lot of us see our experience interacting with social media as something that almost happens to us. Like I hear a lot of the language around it that it's out of our control, that we're addicted and it's maybe not our faults. I don't know how I personally feel about it. I think like we have to be able to override, like these are just platforms, and that's like sort of blaming TV. Yeah, So you say the influential power users fundamentally reshaped how people use all these platforms, and you want people to keep that in mind. So can you sort of expand on that and how do you suggest that we take back control so to speak?
Speaker 3: Definitely, Yes, this is like a core theme of my book because so often power users use these platforms in ways that the founders never intended, you know, Like I mean the get ready with me format is like a good example, but like you know, there's so many ways, like just the monetization, like people sort of built this industry. I mean Vine is also a really good example, because the founders of Vine wanted it to be this like stop motion animation, artsy film ap and it was this place for pranks and jokes and you know, it told and the founders hated that and they didn't want it, and you know it was like too bad. This is how people want to use it. So I think that like we sort of collectively as users need to exert power over these platforms and call for changes that we want. I mean, harassment's a good example, right, Like we've seen a little bit of success for this. You have huge outcries from users saying we want more protections. I mean, this is why Twitter added things like the ability to limit replies or just like these small things. I mean Instagram didn't even add the ability to like filter comments for a really long time, and that was driven by users being like we need this power. Users people with huge audiences because they sort of experienced the worst of social platforms early, or like they're sort of they're so exposed to these platforms that they understand the problems of them, usually before it trickles down. But I just think we need more collective action on the part of users. There's been a lot of talk of like sort of content creators unionizing. I think that's really amazing if they can pull that off. I think even without that sort of structure, just any sort of collective bargaining you could say against these tech platforms and saying, look, we are millions of people, and a lot of us have a really strong interest in features that we want or limitations we want put on these platforms, So make it happen.
Speaker 1: So in Hillary Clinton's last book, there was a part where somebody asked in conversation, like, with all the knowledge that you have, all of the secure meetings and documents, like she has way more information than the average person has. Right, with all of that, what are you most fearful of in our country? And she said, the rules about the Internet, we are so far behind. I'm not sure how we will catch up. And she doesn't see the people that are politicians in our country really understanding the Internet.
Speaker 3: We need they all need to retire, Like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, we saw that with a lot of the hearings with Mark Zuckerberg, like the questions around Instagram and TikTok were just confounding. So yeah, I thought that was really interesting. Like she didn't say global warming, she didn't say all the things she said rules around the Internet. I've never been able to ask anybody why that is. What do you think she means by that?
Speaker 3: You know what, I think We're in the worst position that we could possibly be in right now because we desperately need thoughtful, comprehensive regulations. Data privacy reform is a really important one, and so there's this public desire for that and pressure. But we have these lawmakers in Congress who don't know how to turn their computers on, and then they're drafting legislation. A lot of this like protect the children kind of stuff that's going on right now is an example of extremely harmful and dangerous and terrible legislation. If you care about you know, a free and open internet and privacy and you know, users having power over their own online experiences, like that's it's bad. So you have this really bad legislation and bad stuff that's actually going to end up hurting us way down the rights. And it's also just going to silence speech, it's going to silence creativity. I think free speech is the most important thing that we have in this country, and there's this desire to do something about the bad stuff on the Internet, and so people want to regulate it, like regulate these platforms. But because the politicians don't understand how the platforms work, they sort of just bring down this banhammer and put things like that Utah law that they were trying to pass of like no one under eighteen can be on the Internet without the parental you know, parental oversight. It's like that's crazy and terrible for LGBTQ youth and other people. I mean, it's just that is a ridiculous piece of legislation. So I think we need people in power that are young. And I hate to say it because I'm not trying to sound ageist, but truly we need more Internet natives because you don't understand it unless you grew up truly immersed in this environment. And that's not to say that all young people understand the Internet better, but I think just people that use the Internet need to be regulating the Internet, and we need to stop scapegoating random platforms like TikTok, you know, with these fake outreach I mean, I wrote a piece about this for the Washington Post, but like that whole TikTok hearing, they were freaking out about TikTok challenges that don't even exist truly, that have never existed. And in fact, some of those challenges, as I reported, started on Facebook and YouTube. And so then we want to ban TikTok over made up challenges because they don't understand how TikTok works, And then we're not fixing the root problem, which is data privacy, which we have none of in this country. So people can exploit our data. It's like you care about China getting our data? They can buy it from a Facebook data brokers, you know, like third party, Like, we have no data protections in this country. So if they truly cared about the issues that they purport to care about, they would do something about it. But they don't because corporate power has an enormous way in Washington. So anyway, not to go on a.
Speaker 1: Political right here, I think that was fascinating. Thank you for breaking that down for me because I think partly what she meant with cybersecurity, which you mentioned right, like cyber terrorism, and I think also everything one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, but again, we need more privacy protections, we need security, and we're going the opposite We're going the opposite way. We're like children are being stripped of their privacy and so and I actually think that's something that no matter what your political beliefs say, I actually feel like we all feel this because we all use tech platforms, right, we all sort of feel this creep and we all want more safety online. And so we'll see what happens. But I'm a little bit worried. I kind of agree with her that we're in a bad position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for breaking it down. Okay, I have some rapid fire for us.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: I usually don't curse like this on the podcast, but fuck Mary, kill Instagram, TikTok Twitter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, kill Twitter. It's already dead, so I'm putting it out of its misery. Yeah, I would say Mary, TikTok because I love it. I want to be with it forever. And fuck Instagram because I love Instagram. I'm with you. I'm like a millennial too. And the sense like Instagram is still just like I'll never give it up. I know people like to say on Instagram's over, like I'm still Instagram girl, but TikTok is so good, so I'm marrying it amazing.
Speaker 1: Who is your favorite Internet villain? Somebody that you love to hate?
Speaker 3: Oh? God? Also so many, like I mean, the thing is the worst villains on the Internet. I can't really defend. I will say Tricia Patus is such a complicated figure. I think she's a bit of a villain, but I just can't stop watching everything that she does.
Speaker 1: So this is actually in tangent with that. Who's an Internet villain? You think she'd get a second chance?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean, so she's not a villain, But Julia Allison was so villainized. She's in my book. This woman, what she was put through was so crazy when she was actually so ahead of the time. She was this influencer from like two thousand and eight, which like totally out of her time, one of the first people to sign deals with Next New Networks, which was YouTube's first MCN multi channel network. Just honestly, she deserves justice for Julia Allison, That's what I will say.
Speaker 1: That's Julia. Okay, what is a book you read that changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 3: Lindy West's book Shrill changed my life. I love that book. It's about it's sort of just about like her. I mean, she's just a beautiful writer. And that book again, it like really informed my thinking about my own body and myself and my life is a woman and beauty standards and everything. And I just loved that book so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do a pretty smart question. So you let me know when to stop.
Speaker 3: Okay, stop.
Speaker 1: A lyric poem or mantra quote that you hold on too tightly.
Speaker 3: You know what I love. I love the Robert Frost line from the poem, but it's nothing gold can stay. And I think about that all the time because I think life is so fleeting, and the good parts of life are they'd go away so quickly. Everything, especially on the Internet, is so fleeting, and I just think every time I find something really beautiful happening online or some amazing community, I just think of nothing gold can stay, because nothing beautiful stays beautiful forever, and things fall apart or evolve or whatever, and I just try and remember that it's like live in the moment kind of.
Speaker 1: I think that's really nice. Okay, Taylor Lawrence, what is the smartest decision you've ever made.
Speaker 3: To not listen to my parents and to pursue, you know, to put a lot of myself out on the internet and start a blog. Not that my parents were anti blog, but they certainly, you know, they didn't. They didn't want me to be a full time writer. They wanted me to, like, you know, do a more corporate stable job. And I was like, yeah, I'm going to do this.
Speaker 1: Was it just like a gut instinct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just kind of thought, what's the worst that could happen? I was working retail, and so I thought, worst case, I'll go back to retail. You know, I know I'm good at that.
Speaker 1: So you I almost have chills when you say that, because you single handedly changed the industry. So the fact that you just bet on yourself and went for it is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: Well, that means a lot. And I'm very privileged to do that because not everyone could do that. I mean I did have debt, and I do have debt, and that was hard and it's not always been easy. But I think you just got to try things, and it doesn't work out. It doesn't work out. I don't know, but you can't live life and regret, so I've always tried to kind of live by that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week