Speaker 1: Wording.
Speaker 2: There are so many spoilers that are about to be in this pod. There are spoilers for the fifth episode of Hawkeye, and there are spoilers for Spider Man No Way Home.
Speaker 1: So just be warned.
Speaker 2: Spider Man No Way Home is absolutely packed and packed and packed with stuff that happens. And if you haven't seen that movie, you need to go see it now before you listen to this because the amount of spoilers that will be in here as we discuss this film, it's ridiculous. So go watch that movie and then come back to us. Oh my name is Jason Cooncepcia. Welcome to x Ray Vision of the Cricket Podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Joining it today, it had to be Rosie. It had to be Rosie Night. We had to bring her back. It had to be her to talk about this movie with me. Rosie, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good. I saw the movie. I can't believe it. Is it real life that we saw this. We really did it.
Speaker 2: I mean we we high five after the movie and we're like, I can't believe they did it, And they did it.
Speaker 1: They did it.
Speaker 2: So here's what we're gonna be talking about in today's episode. First recap and a discussion of episode five of Hawkeye. Next in the airlock, we're gonna be diving deep into the multiversal madness of no Way Home. In nerd Out, a fan pitches us on the novel sworts point in the endgame. Yet another round of assembly required. First up, Hawkeye.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: Previously on, let's talk about episode five of Hawkeye, titled Ronan, directed by Burton Birdie, written by Jenna Noel Frasier. Just again, a disclaimer. If you haven't seen episode five of Hawkeye yet, it's great, but definitely watch it first. And if you want to jump ahead to our Spider Man no Way Home discussion, feel free to do that, but definitely if you have not seen Hawkeye episode five yet, don't listen to this portion of it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Recap. We open in twenty eighteen, somewhere in Europe, after the events of the movie Black Widow, Ylena and another widow program escape Sonia and break into the mansion of yet another person from the widow program named Anna. They fight with her. They give her the red Dust antidote, but it doesn't do anything, and she's just like, why'd you guys spill this weird red shit on my carpet?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: And then it turns out she can afford this mansion because she's been doing hits for someone who I'm guessing it's Bishop Security, right, Yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Seems as we get further into the episode, it will seem like it's Security or Sloan Limit, wherever you want to call them.
Speaker 1: There's an Ellen a Bishop connection here, I agree.
Speaker 2: Later, Ylena tells Anna that she's been all around the world after the events of Black Widow freeing lots of ex widows. Talk turns to Natasha. This makes Yolene a little uncomfortable. She goes to the bathroom to wash her hands, and then she gets snapped and immediately from her perspective, she is reconstituted in the same room, only now the room has been painted and it's completely differently decorated, because of course it's been five years. She wanders out and there she sees Anna, and now Anna is there with her partner and the child that her and her partner have adopted, who I contend is quite possibly Reey Williams as a child, but who knows and then Anna basically explains what's been going on, and she's like, hey, you know you need money now, why don't you pick up some contract work, girl, Why don't you just go out and kill some people you're trained for it. Jolena goes to New York to find Natasha, but of course Natasha passed away on Vormere and later in Black Widow. At the end of the Black Widow movie. In The Stinger, we will see that Contessa Valentina, like Erdfontaine, tells Yolena that it was Clint Barton that killed her sister and basically is like, hey, I'll set you up with a contract to kill Clint Barton if you want. We go to the present. Kate returns to her mom's pent house, her mom Eleanor's penthouse after the fight with Elena and Maya on the roof outside Maya's apartment. She's upset because you know, she thought that she was going to be Clint's partner in fighting crime, but obviously that has now broken up because Clint feels it is too dangerous. Eleanor comforts her tends to her bruises. Now, Eleanor asks Kate does Clint think you're a superhero.
Speaker 1: This bumped me a little bit. I want to run a theory by you, Rosie. I'm ready.
Speaker 2: After the Chatari invasion killed her husband, the father of Kate, Eleanor then goes off and starts Bishop Security and builds that up into quite a powerhouse company in the security sphere. My theory is she hates super people because of what they did. This is like they killed her husband, wrecked her home, almost killed her and her daughter. She feels that they're a menace. And I think there's a world in which she's asking Kate this because she hates superheroes and she's actively trying to get rid of them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. She wants to kill them, and she's starting with Clint.
Speaker 3: I think that you're right, and I think that it ties in tonally to a lot of what the Netflix Marvel shows did, where it was like, what is the impact for the people whose families died? R what is the impact of the Battle of New York? How did it destroy people and what did that make them do? And so I think with the way that this episode goes Spider Man away home like some things that happened, I think that we're in a situation where you are really onto something. And I think it's a really interesting twist on Eleana, who in the comics. You know she is this puppet master behind Madame Mask, but giving her this more personal anti superhero vendetta is very interesting.
Speaker 1: I wonder if she's the MCU Madam Mask. I wonder if she's just Mada Mask.
Speaker 3: It would make sense, especially if you do it in a more MCU grounded way, where it's the Mask is the Jewel Life, it's the it's the Double.
Speaker 1: It's yeah.
Speaker 3: And her connections to some other famous crime bosses would make you think that she probably has a lot of credit in the in the bad guy world, which you know Madam mosqu.
Speaker 1: Would have, Madam Mask would absolutely have.
Speaker 2: So Kate is like, listen, you know, man, I really thought I could be one of them, meaning superheroes, And Eleanor is like, you know, listen, when things fall apart, you just need to you need to keep moving forward. And you're my daughter, and I know who you're becoming. You're becoming someone great, but not necessarily a superhero. Kate then tells Eleanor, listen, we've been doing some digging into Jack and he's involved with this money laundering front Slow Limited. Eleanor is like, okay, I'll look into it, and she tells Kate also, by the way, you're moving back into the house. Elsewhere, Kazi tends to Maya after the fight on the rooftop. He is like, listen, you got to stop acting like such a fucking badass all the time. Okay, it's me, like we know each other, Like you don't have to like be this tough person all the time. Maya tells him, Hey, you know what was really weird. There was this other woman on the roof and it's clear that Clint and Kate didn't know her either. It's a strange piece of the puzzle. Meanwhile, Kazi wants Maya to promise that after they take care of the ronin that she'll just stop with this whatever this like revenge mission is because it's bad. Kate returns to her fire damaged department to find Oh.
Speaker 1: Look at this, it's Yolena eating.
Speaker 2: Mac and cheese out of a pot. This is a great scene, first of all, because one Hailey Steinfeld and Florence Pugh are just so good.
Speaker 1: They're so good. They're so good.
Speaker 2: I love how dismissive Yolena is of Kate as any kind of threat to her. She's like, listen, I mean, she's just like, yeah, let's eat out of the same pot. Like, I know we fought on the rooftop, but I could kill you literally anytime I want, Like, I am not worried about you even a little bit, like go for your boat. It's it doesn't bother me even a little. We learned that Elena loves a shocking amount of Saracha hot sauce on her on her mac and cheese, and she tells Kate, listen, my first time in New York. I'm gonna see the site. I'm gonna see the tree, I'm gonna go to Fifth Avenue. I'm gonna see the Empire State Building. Oh, and I'm gonna I'm gonna kill Clint Barton. That's why I'm here. She also spills that she knows everything about Kate. She knows her grade point.
Speaker 1: Average, you know, lives like every yeh.
Speaker 2: Probably, she knows that she knows that she saved a dog, which I think helps her, Jolena said, helps her in her eyes, and then she continues with, Hey, I'm here to assassinate Clint. By the way why Because I'm Natasha Romanov's sister and Clint caused her death in some way, and also did you know he killed the so many people that it's an ocean of blood if you were to put all of their blood like in one contater. And of course Kate tries to say, no, Clint's a hero.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's also clear that Elena not a fan of the Avengers, although to be fair to her, she kind of wasn't around when they were doing their best.
Speaker 1: She was blipped out.
Speaker 2: And it raises an interesting question, is it like widely known what happened on Vormir you think, Rosie like, people clearly know that Natasha.
Speaker 1: Passed, so they must.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that like the exact how and why is like known to people.
Speaker 3: There's something about what has happened between endgame and now and the blip that means that there is a lot more information out there. Because something else that kind of adds to this is in a minute, we'll get to where. You know, Clink goes to the Avengers memorial, right, but it says Natasha Romanov, it doesn't say black Widow, you know, so her name is out there obviously, Elena could know because of vow or ever nefarious stuff you know information about. But I think there's some kind of heroic historical representation kind of hinted at with like Roger's the Musical, where more of the this information is getting out now and for some reason there's some kind of public knowledge of what went on to stop Thanos, maybe just because you know, half the world got flipped back into existence, so people like probably want to know.
Speaker 2: Yolena talks about how eager she is to go Clint and asks Kate where is he cases I don't know, and Elena believes her. Clint meanwhile, is crashing at Grill's apartment with Lucky the pizza dog. He's like, listen, I'm gonna get a hotel. Could you look after the dog? And Girls is like, no, wait, man, what are you talking about? You sleep on my bed. I'll sleep on the guy. Do you sleep in my bed? And CLI's like, no, I'll sleep on the cash.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Back at Eleanor's we.
Speaker 2: See the cops escorting Jack Away, who, by the way, is like taking all this in with a plume, is not even a little bit flustered by it.
Speaker 1: I have thoughts.
Speaker 3: I have to tell me Tony Dalton icon. I want him in every MC movie. I love Swordsman, I loved Jack, and I think I think Jack is a good guy, and not just do I think, and not just do I think that Jack is like a patsy.
Speaker 1: I think Jack is like a deep shield agent or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something about the ease with which he takes it and the absolute lack of surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not concerned even a little.
Speaker 3: He's like, somebody framed me, obviously, and I'm going to prove it. And we can guess who framed him. Because this happens immediately after Kate brings suspicions about Sloan Limited. So it seems very easy for Eleanor to immediately say, oh, this is the man. It's it's him, you know, he's I think there's more to him that meets the eye.
Speaker 2: And let me just add this also, Eleanor the CEO of a quite powerful private security firm, and she didn't do any digging into the guys she's hitting. No, she knew, she knew, like she she she knew.
Speaker 1: Right or she put his name on that Sloane Limited.
Speaker 2: Absolutely she knew, you know, she knew Clint is walking around the city. He goes over to Grand Central Station, to the site of the former Stark Tower, where he finds a plaque commemorating the Avengers defense of the city. He takes out his hearing aid and he talks directly to Natty, says, you were the bravest of all of us, weren't you. You can tell he's really mad at her. He misses her, but he's also mad at her for sacrificing her life when he feels like it should have been him, especially considering all the murdering he was doing during that time.
Speaker 3: The particular I agree, I don't even like black Meadow, and I agree it should have been.
Speaker 2: Him, And clearly he feels that way. And then he apologizes to her for quote what I'm about to do. And then he puts his hood up, signaling to us that the Ronan has returned, and he walks off. Kate wakes up and it's a brand new day with brand new energy, and she's not given up and she's not going to stop being Clint's partner. She gets on the phone just like that scene and in Swingers, in which Jon Favreau calls his X a million times and She leaves a million messages on Clint's phone about Jack, about being a hero, about what she plans to do, until she fills up his voicemail. Meanwhile, Thomas and Ivan of the Tracksuits are driving in a moving van across town. They're talking about whether or not they look like the Royal tenenbombs, the characters from the Royal tenenbaums, and then all of a sudden, the arrow smashes into the windshield and the arrow contains a note. It says, Maya, meet me tonight where you first met Ronan Alone, Clint calls Laura. He tells her, listen, this problem is just not going away. It's bigger than we thought. Maya has the watch. She's been investigating us, and someone has hired a black widow assass and he's concerned that the family's cover might be blown and that the quote big guy might be involved. Laura is like, do what you gotta do, follow your guy, Okay, I have a question. So the watch. I think it's connected to Laura somehow, and that for some reason people don't realize that Laura is maybe still alive or you know, somehow she effectively got out of whatever national security kind of situation she was in and managed to get rid of her identity and has been laying low and the family their location is unknown to people as well. There's a missing piece though, somehow, because if that's the case, why is Hawkeye like prancing around New York with his kids going to like Rogers the Musical and he's one of the most famous people in the world, to the point that people are walking up to him and coming up to him in Chinese restaurants and being like, hey, thanks for saving the world.
Speaker 3: I think that the hiding and plain side aspect of this seems very misguided when the two I think that my reading of it is whatever Laura was involved in, yeah, was a very very long time ago, to the point where it's like, you know, Tony Stark didn't know who she was or that she existed, He didn't know where he said, this is an agent of some kind, Like how would we not know about this? I think they got a little bit comfortable, and the Watch is basically waking them up. I do have a theory after this episode though, if it was as I have proposed, as we talked about, something to do with shield right the watch, and it would blow her cover. Why would the big guy aka the man that we are assuming is Kingpin, why would he care?
Speaker 1: What if? Yeah? What if? What if?
Speaker 3: When Clint was talking to Kate in the house, he says to her, the best shot was the one I didn't take. And then there's a silence, and then Kate says, oh, is it Natasha?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Do you mean Natasha or and he goes, yeah, it's Natasha or whatever. And I wonder if it was actually about Natasha, And I wonder if it was also about Laura, because Laura actually worked for Kingpin. I wonder if that's what it was and that's how they met or something like that, because Kingpin's the kind of person who would have a tracker.
Speaker 1: It would subvert kind of what we thought.
Speaker 3: It would also explain how she could maybe get into some kind of witness protection sque program. And I just I wonder if that's to be the twist, because the one thing I don't get is, you know, why would the big man get involved? And why would he care who Laura about? And ISRAELI Like, what connection does he have? Unless the other option is she was involved in something to take the king Can down. But I kind of like the idea that maybe she had a darker side as well, because she also says during that conversation, like she says something like no matter what you do, like just know, I will understand more than anyone else. And that makes it sound like she's an assassin or something.
Speaker 2: Let me posit this to you, okay. So, in the comics, particularly in the Daredevil Run, the kind of like I guess late eighties early nineties Daredevil Run depictions of Kingpin, Kingpin had an ex wife, Vanessa, that he loved very much, who disappeared, who was scared of him and ran away from him.
Speaker 1: Oh, and she has been searching for her.
Speaker 2: He's always looking for her, and Daredevil in various tellings of this story knows where she is and goes to talk to her when he needs information about Kingpin, and but he's always protecting like where she is. Do we think there's a world in which Laura Barton is Kingpin's im the EMCU version of Vanessa.
Speaker 1: I want to live in that world because.
Speaker 3: That is a great theory, that is, like so, and imagine if the watch was like something he gave her as a gift, the tracking device in it, you know, dude, I hope that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's definitely my favorite hawk Eye theory so far. Okay, well let's stay tuned and let's see.
Speaker 2: Okay, at the Fatman used car Lot, which Wilson named it that himself, so that's fine, but it's a little mean. Anyway, Clint, dressed as the Ronan, takes out all of Maya's hensche's, which guys, Maya, you gotta train these guys a little better.
Speaker 1: It's they're not good.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Also, he's basically like Batman in this scene, like he's like disappearing, He's like he's pulling people under. It's ridiculous. Hawkuy was never that when he was not the Ronan, so like, good for him, I guess. But yeah, train them back.
Speaker 1: Train them better.
Speaker 2: Come on, Clint and Maya fight. I mean, Clint fights her with the sword out, which feels a little aggressive to me considering like what his actual like angle is here. He beats her, he unmasks because he wants her to see his face, and he says, listen, any threat to my family will be dealt with with extreme prejudice. And anyway, listen, you and I are the same, We're weapons. We are easily manipulated because we're filled with rage. Don't let that happen to you, and he tells her. Listen, here's another tip for you. Okay, I was there when your dad was killed. I was there that night when the track suits got attacked. I was tipped off by an informant who works for your boss. The implication being the boss wanted your dad dead and now he's using you for and similar to those to cover it up or whatever.
Speaker 1: Maya is like, I don't believe it.
Speaker 2: She attacks, grabs Clint's sword and tacks him, but then Kate fires an arrow and disons Maya, and then Kate and Clint take an uber out of town. So let me ask who is the informant who works for the boss who tipped off Clint?
Speaker 1: You think? I do think it's Kazi.
Speaker 3: I do because when we see Maya on the night, she is the same, she is similar age to as she is now. And I think it adds this really deep personal betrayal because they've been friends since they were kids. They were both raised by uncle, right, you know, so Kazi has his own personal relationship to the man that we're assuming is Kingpin, And I could imagine that he would have done this thing that he regrets so deeply, and that's why he's kind of so obsessed with protecting Maya and kind of making up for it. So I think that that is a likely option or a very good red herring.
Speaker 1: Either way, I agree with you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maya goes to see Kazie and she's like, hey, so, yeah, the night that the run and attacked the track suits and my dad was killed, you were supposed to be there, right, You're my dad's second in command.
Speaker 1: Where were you? And Cousy's like what, He's like.
Speaker 3: I didn't get the call, Like what, Like, dude, you could come up with a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I was out of town on a date with Canada. I don't you know, Like, how dare you? Maya? Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And Maya is, of course extremely doubtful about this. She drives off she screw. Later, Kate tells Clint that she spoke to Elena, who they fought on the roof and that it's Natasha's sister, and Clint knows of her really weird response. He just goes okay, which I felt very loaded for whatever reason, Like I don't know what he knows of Yolena. I would assume that Natasha has talked about her at length and that they have talked about it. They had that kind of relationship where they shared that kind of stuff, So it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Meanwhile, Yolena is out there trailing Eleanor through the streets. Back at Rills, Kate and Clint are seeing the tricks that Grill says taught Lucky. Kate gets a text from an unknown person. I think it's Elena, right, Yes, I think so, And it is a picture of Eleanor with a man, and Kate's like, who is this guy? And Clint's like, that's the guy I've been talking about this whole time. And then we see the screen of the phone and it's Visitanafrio, Guy Gills and Vista cakeb I love it.
Speaker 1: It's so good. I mean, they really did a brilliant job in this one job. And as we will get into with Spider Man, it becomes it's a very tiny choice. It's a big It's all big. Okay, So let's go into some of these questions.
Speaker 2: What exactly is Eleanor's role in all of this, and do we think that it was legitimately Clint who attacked the Tracksuits and killed Maya's dad.
Speaker 1: I do think it was Clint.
Speaker 3: I think think that the fact that he knows Kingpin's been talking about Big Guy. I think Clint may have been in some way connected with or working for Kingpin because in the comics it's Kingpin who orchestrates the death of my dad.
Speaker 1: So this goes with the comics.
Speaker 3: And I think that for whatever reason, you know, Ronan was a serial killer, right, so he didn't have great logic. He could have been like, well, Fisk wanted them wiped out, and it went along with my hatred of bad guess or Fisk said, you know, I'll let Laura and you go if you kill these people for me, you know.
Speaker 1: So I do think it was Clint, but I do think it was under the tutelage or in exchange for it was something to do with Kingpin, and I think, like that's going to be a big reveal in the next episode. Okay, Elena.
Speaker 2: So when last we saw Elena at the end of Black Widow, Julie Luis Dreyfus, the Kntessa Valentina Legradfontaine was presenting her with a tablet with a picture of Clinton it saying Clint killed your sister. What is the linkage between the Kintessa and Bishop Security?
Speaker 1: You think? This is what I want to know. Are they saying that Val.
Speaker 3: Is working for Kingpin slash Eleanor? Is that connected? Because it seems like she when they said, oh, look into who ordered that hit, and then Elena is like, I found out it was your mom. I couldn't tell whether Elena was lying to try and pick Kate and Eleanor against each other, But I don't think that's the case. I feel like Elena and Kate have a good chemistry. They kind of trust each other in a weird, suspicious way. So I'm trying to work out if Eleanor and Kingpin, who we now know are kind of incahoots or at least know each other well enough to be photographed together.
Speaker 1: Are they the ones putting together the Dark Avengers?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is Bishop Security the space where they're trying to build this team and instead of having a Norman Osborne or something, you're going to have Kingpin as you're kind of overseer.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like Dark Rain Fish because you're exactly.
Speaker 3: Your Dark Rain figure. Like I I'm really interested. That is the biggest question that I want to see answered in the next episode, because it seemed very much like Val was the one in charge. But this reveal kind of hints that Kingpin has been puppet mastering things much further outside of just the TV shows.
Speaker 2: Now, I wonder if it's this. This is what I've been thinking, because it was it was a little a little suspicious to me how much Elena was really investigating Eleanor. I wonder if it's that if the Contessa went to Elena and said, Okay, here, I have a mission I need you to I need you to get inside and investigate Bishop security and find out like what the links are to organize crime. As a bonus, you get to kill Clint Barton in the in the course of doing your mission, because they want that. They're looking for an assassin to do that anyway, and I want to know who they are.
Speaker 1: So it's a two for one for you.
Speaker 2: You go in, you get to kill Clit, and you also get to investigate these people who are potentially bad.
Speaker 1: That's very likely and very smart.
Speaker 3: I think basically that Elena is the mole for Val, and vou was like, but you actually do want to do the mission, so just do it as well, because I'm not a This is not a good person, She's a morally great person.
Speaker 1: If you want to kill this Avenger, fine, I'm fine with that, But also, can.
Speaker 3: You tell me who the fuck these people are and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I wonder if you think Jackie Kaine the Swordsman is working for Val.
Speaker 3: Too, Maybe that could be an interesting kind of if it's Val, like from the comics where it's like at one point she was entangled with Shield or Nick Fury or something, so in that way, he was maybe a leftover. I think he could be so deep undercover that he's a leftover from before Shield in you know, Captain America too, Like I think this could be a he's been deep undercover in the crime world of New York, fell for Eleanor and was like maybe I can fix her or you know, maybe maybe not, but you know, it seems to be going well for me, Like nothing these tracks with my what do they even do? They don't seem that bad and lo and behold, he's now caught in this kind of seemingly world ending superhero drama of Kingpin.
Speaker 2: And then final question when Clint goes to the plaque, which can we get the Avengers a bigger plaque?
Speaker 1: Like it's fine, but it's not even a log human like just the black Yeah, like that's all. It's just like this plaque anyway, it's weird.
Speaker 2: He apologizes to Natasha for what he's about to do, but what is that? Because it doesn't seem okay. So he's gonna contact Maya and be like, hey, don't do the like you stop looking for me.
Speaker 1: I wonder what it is.
Speaker 3: Natasha died because she believed that Clint could be a better person and he had this family and he could forget the Ronan And he basically put the Ronan suit back on and went and threatened a twenty year old or twenty five and threatened some young girl who's just in this really same position that he was in and that Natasha was in. And he used the thing that he was meant to be kind of forgetting. And I think that that would be my guess of what he was kind of emotionally trying to connect to.
Speaker 2: Fantastic episode Man. Ever since episode three, Hawkeye has really just gone up, up, up and up.
Speaker 3: The action stuff with Maya and the way that they the way they've built in a Lac was prosthetic as a way for her to always be able to kick the shit out of Clint, and this time he hits her with that sword. It just hits that prosthetic boom. Is like my favorite thing. I just the action in this show is just so cool and balancing that with the emotional beats and the kind of these big reveals, like that Kingpin reveal is huge. It was, it was really really big, but they just did it in such a cool way.
Speaker 2: Agreed, And so like, the question is where, And it's a similar question with another character that is in No Way Home, which we will talk about in the No Way Home segment. The question is where in Daredevil's arc are we meeting him? So, you know, in the in the Netflix series, he's the he's the kingpin of crime, like he is the Dawn of New York. He's an extremely powerful figure at the top of the food chain of New York organized crime, not only organized crime but also like New York business interests. He is just like well connected. Is that the kingpin that we are meeting now or is this the kingpin that's just on his rise and has not yet like beaten down and subdued the other organized crime families and kind of and turned them into his own family.
Speaker 1: I just wonder where he is. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I think he's I think he's been at the top. I think the Netflix stuff exists. I think people are taken down, either by a different crime family or by Matt. He got taken down some pegs, and he's on the rise in a more like Hawky knows he's the big guy.
Speaker 1: Hawky's terrified of him. He's made his mark. He people know who he is.
Speaker 3: But there's something that has and that means he's having to make this comeback in a different way. It could be the twist could be him and eleanor are doing something legitimate together, because Kingpin has been legitimate at some points, so that would be really scary because if he's coming up as a political candidate, a mayor or candidate or something, that could be something that would be really awful for her to have to prove, yeah, there's this evil guy and oh no, that's, you know, stand up member of the community. But I think he's been big. I think Netflix deat of a show is still generally something that we can look back to but he's making as he's on his second rise to power.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I will say that this is a very very very minor detail from Spider Man No Way Home, but I guess technically a spoiler, but I will say that. So the Department of Damage Control, who's been around ever since you know, Spider Man Homecoming, is kind of a more active entity now in the MCU and in the comics at least, the Department of Damage Control, which dealt with, you know, salvage work and construction work in the wake of these superhero battles in which they go in. They'd salvage alien materials, alien weapons, and also like fix any damage that had been done. Was a business partnership between public and private interest. So it was like part government, part private, but the private part was a partnership between Wilson Fisk, Wilson Fisk's legitimate business arm, and Tony Stark. So I do wonder if I wonder if the Kingpin is, to your point, in his second rise, has more of these kind of like legitimate arms and his like with damage control and then with his more crime related stuff. It's just like a lot more under the surface now. It's very very interesting. I can't wait to see what happens in episode six. Any predictions quickly?
Speaker 3: I think we're going to get a very very brief reference to the big final battle and Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Some kind of TV news report. Oh the the Statue of Liberty is broken or something. But that's it. But I think we will get it.
Speaker 2: Whoo up next Spider Man No Way Home.
Speaker 1: Okay, folks, this is it.
Speaker 2: We are stepping out of the airlock to talk about Spider Man No Way Home and to recap this really amazing movie.
Speaker 1: Rosie, are you ready? I'm ready, I was born ready. This is the moment. This is it. We did it, so we opened.
Speaker 2: No Way Home opens, and it opens right after the events of Spider Man Far from Home and Peter Parker's life is an absolute mess. Mysterios reveal of Spider Man's identity has turned Pete's daily existence into a zoo. He has, of course, framed Peter for his and this has been very effective. The DODC, the Department of Damage Control headed up by Stewie from succession, is currently investigating Pete for numerous federal crimes. Aunt May is being threatened with charges of ret close engagement of a child, Happy, MJ, and Ned are all being investigated as Peter's accessories. May has to hire a lawyer, and she goes out and hires the best lawyer that she can afford, and it's a blind lawyer by the name of Matthew Murdoch. We called it, we called it, we called it incredible moment.
Speaker 1: They do such a good job. Like he's sitting at the table and you know.
Speaker 3: He says to p Oh, the charge is not going to stick, but now you've got to deal with a court of public opinion. Bom, A brick comes through the window and on the brick it says we believe mysterio. And Matt catches it and he said, goes, how did you do that? And he said, I'm a really good lawyer.
Speaker 2: It is amazing this film. I tweeted that this film has like endgame levels of wow they pulled it off.
Speaker 1: Part of that is, you know, this was like this was.
Speaker 2: A screening for press and various people like that, but it had that like Marvel movie feel of everybody just.
Speaker 1: Be like, oh shit, yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the I absolutely legitimately screamed oh shit. When Aunt May and Peter are meeting with their lawyer, and all of a sudden, you know, you see them in a two shot, and then they asked the lawyer a question, and then the next shot as the camera zooms back, is like him holding a cane, and I was just like, oh shit, they're doing it.
Speaker 1: It's Matthew Murdoch. We love it.
Speaker 2: So mysterios framing of Peter Parker has effectively split public opinion. Most people, including our friends at Midtownheimster, Harrington, and Julius, consider Peter a hero for his efforts in the battle against Thanos, saving the world and saving the lives of half the beings in the whole fucking universe. But a sizable minority encompassing you know, conspiracy theorists and the various people who watch daily Bugle content, which of which there is a large overlap, believe Peter is a terrorist who murdered the courageous interdimensional superhero with Stereo with stolen Stark Tech. Because of this, Peter and May are forced to leave their home and DeCamp to Happis Queen's condo, where we are reunited with our friend the robot arm Dummy.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that guy.
Speaker 2: I love Dummy Peter, MJ, and Ned all apply to the same colleges. They have the same primary college mit in the same various backups. When Ned and MJ are denied all of their choices basically and are told the reason is specifically they're link to Spider Man, Peter feels, okay, I gotta do something, so he goes to visit his friend, doctor Strange in the Sanctum Sanctorum. Well, colleague, right, not friend, clearly not friend. Yet they're colleagues. They are brothers in arms.
Speaker 1: So to say, save the wild, but they don't know they yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, like they're they saved the world together.
Speaker 1: And then and then they went their separate ways.
Speaker 2: At the Sanctum, we see that a blizzard has recently run through because of an unsecured portal to Siberia or something like that.
Speaker 1: We learn that.
Speaker 2: Much too much to Stranger's chagrin, Wong is actually the Sorcerer Supreme.
Speaker 1: So that is the right choice. The drop was so perfect.
Speaker 2: Stephens and I lom so angry about it. He's like, it's actually it's a tenntality. Actually because I blipped out for five Yes, you weren't around for five years. You weren't around and Earth needed a sorcers regream, So it's gotta be Wong who is here. Uh yeah, I love that he calls it a technicality. I will say this. Does it feel?
Speaker 1: Of course? Wang is always hurting for cash.
Speaker 2: Remember the scene in Infinity War where he's like, I need you to buy me a sandwich and coffee. Like Wong is always like, I don't have hard currency. That said, it feels a little bit below the dignity of the Sorcerer Supreme for Wong to be taking part in like illegal superhero fights for cash, as we saw in Shane.
Speaker 3: Think about Stephen, all the things that Stephen Strange did. He was such a shady guy to become the Sorcerer Supreme. He's like stealing shit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely he's there.
Speaker 3: He was just a bad guy. So I'm like, you know what, Wong, He's just up front of by it. He's like, I'm gonna do a little bit of an illegal side. He's like I'm gonna do a He's like, I'm training abomination for some and maybe he's gonna be a suck Avengers, So why not just make a little cash on the side.
Speaker 1: Because Steven's obviously giving him any money.
Speaker 3: He's obviously not getting paid by the Sorcerer's Supreme, so I'm like, go for it wrong.
Speaker 1: Here's my take.
Speaker 2: Here's my take MCU, Defenders, Wong Abomination, maybe Doc Strange and some other weirdos.
Speaker 3: I definitely think I think Defenders is happening now that we've got this true Kevin Feige doesn't care about using stuff from the Marvel TV and he kind of doesn't mind reimagining.
Speaker 1: I think Defenders is happening. It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: So, uh, Peter explains his issue to Strange. Everybody knows my identity. It really sucks now, and Strange with very little persuading. I mean he kind of like briefly is like can't you just deal with it? And then immediately is like, fine, you know what, let's just alter reality.
Speaker 1: I can do that.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, we used this, We use this spell all the time, Like sure it deals with unknown realities, but like we've used it to forget like bad parties.
Speaker 2: So let's just commortize remember that party and commotize that we had Wong.
Speaker 1: And Wong's like no, and he's like see n't it.
Speaker 2: And of course this this absolutely you know, comports with what we know about Stephen Strange, a guy who's rise in the commartage like hierarchy, like depended you know, pretty heavily on his stealing books that he shouldn't have been reading and doing things he shouldn't have been doing the great time. Yeah, just like egoist kind of shit that doctor Strange is absolutely liable to do when he learns of this, you know, obviously, like it's a serious issue, but like minor in the universal sense, problem that he can solve by, you know, just like mind wiping the entire population of Earth. Like he's like, you know what I'm in, let's do that, you know. But of course, like the difference between like mind wiping some folks in comartage and this incident, you know what we're dealing with now is like we're talking about like millions of people again. So Strange gets to work and he's he's performing this very very very complex, very very uh you know, precise and very powerful spell, and in the middle of it, Peter is like, oh, well, hold on, did you say everybody's gonna forget about me? Can we make MJ kind of needs to remember me? Because like we're like that's my girlfriend. We're in a relationship right now, so like can we do that? And Strange is like okay, fine, but like no more. And then he's like okay, oh oh a Ned Ned is my best friend. He's the guy in the chair, like I need d too, And then Strange it's still performing the spells like okay, but like no more, and then all of a sudden, it's also anime, and then it's also happy.
Speaker 1: And then happy is the reason that the Maultivas explained, it's because you want to happy.
Speaker 2: And so Strange has to shut down the spell because the multiverse is it He's about to like warp reality in a way that he's like, actually, not sure what's gonna do. So he captures the spell like in this amber geodesic shape, and he's like, Peter, get out of here. He realizes Peter. Also let's drop that he didn't call am I. He didn't like call admissions or anything. He just immediately was like, oh, doctor Strange can help, but like warping reality. And so then doctor Strange is like, you didn't even call, like get out of here? How dare you, sir? Get out of my sanctum? And he kicks Peter out. Peter calls Flash Thompson. Now Thompson did get accepted to MIT, and in recent days he has been branding himself as Peter's official best friend. He even, like Speed, published a novel to that effect, Flashpoint, which is a very good BC. I thought that was so funny.
Speaker 1: That was really really funny.
Speaker 2: Again another story, Flashpoint, another story about multiversal craziness, so very funny. Flash tells him that, hey, the Mi T admissions person was here in New York at this MIT party for people in the New York area who'd been accepted MIT. But they're currently getting back on a plane. Maybe you can catch them. So Pete swings across town, finds the MIT person's car on the Queensboro Bridge on the Queensboro Bridge night and is about to pitch Ned and MJ getting into MIT when bomb bomb bomb Doctor Octopus strikes Hello, Peter, Now Pete.
Speaker 1: A really fun action scene fight.
Speaker 2: Pete manages to neutralize a doc OC because the stark nanoparticles of his suit get into Doc's tentacles, and he manages to hack it and basically bluetooth Parrot to his own suit and he takes control of it. Pete talks to the admissions person and she's like, Wow, you're a hero. You saved all the people on this bridge. I'm gonna talk to MIT admissions and I'm gonna put a good word in, maybe even for you too. Maybe you're all going to MIT's been great. Just then a pumpkin bomb hits the pavement and we hear that William default laugh and here comes the Green Goblin. Octavia says, Norman, is that you, And just as another fight is about to break out, Strange portals everybody to the Sanctum and everybody's safe. Back at Sanctum, where doctor Octopus is now like in a little holding cell, Strange lays out the problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what happened, Pete.
Speaker 2: Instead of erasing everybody who had a memory of Peter Parker as Spider Man, you're, you know, messing around, caused everyone who knows who is Spider Man to come to this universe. So that includes a bunch of Spider Man's villains. And so Spider Man, I'm giving you a job.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: Here is this magic Golden Goop gauntlet that when you spray multiversal variance with it, it transports them here to my holding cells and two find all of these uh you know, trespassers in our dimension and capture them so we can send them home. It's basically that it's the Pokemon doctrine. You got to catch them all. And Peter's like, Peter's like, okay, I'll do it, but I have my team. It's got to be Ned and MJ helping me, and doctor She's like whatever, just go fucking do it.
Speaker 1: So they go do it.
Speaker 2: And Peter goes and tracks down Sandman Electro and it goes pretty well at first. He manages to put them in their little holding cells, but then Norman Osborne, who had I guess managed to rest control of his fractured Psyche from the Green Goblin, wanders into May's community Center Feast in search of aid. And moved by Norman's vulnerability and his clear distress and by May's generosity and saying, we got to help this guy, Peter brings Norman to the Sanctum not as a prisoner, and he's got all these new ideas, this new approach that's he's considering, and it's something like this, shouldn't we do something more for them right then? Just like send them back blind into their dimension, considering the fact that they're here is like our fault. We did this, right, It's kind of our fault, like doctor strangeond we do this. Doctor Strange, you know, MUCKs around with stuff all the time, and he is not really he's not a fan of this new approach. His thing is like, they don't belong here. We should just send him back, right, let's just send it back. What do we even? What are we talking about? And then Octavius is like, well, guess what actually, like Norman dies like when you send it back, like a lot of it. And then our interdimensional trespassers all figure out that oh, actually we all, we all kind of do die.
Speaker 3: Literally the moment, the moment that they're plucked is the moment that they were about to die.
Speaker 2: I should mention that doctor Strange, off camera, had already captured Doctor Connor as the Lizard, so he's already in a holding cell when he, you know, is taken back to the sanctum after the fight with doctor Ocubus. So Spider Man is like, you know what, we can't do this. I don't agree that we should just send them back. We should try and help them. Doctor Strange has now a cube that he's put the captured spell in, and if you just press a button, they all go back like immediately, everybody just goes back, and Peter's like, give me that steals a cube, and now a chase ensues.
Speaker 1: A Strange knocks.
Speaker 2: Peter out of his body into the astral plane, much like happens to Hulk in an endgame, but in a really cool kind of like expansion of Spider Man's Spider Sense lore. He can't take the cube from Spider Man's inert body because Spidey Sense is still active and won't let him take it, which is really cool. I thought, yeah, it's really rad.
Speaker 3: And then also like there's a hint at kind of Peter's innate powers because he just swims his his konji, his consciousness just swims back into his spider body and.
Speaker 1: He's like peace out.
Speaker 3: So it's not even just like the Spider Sense is so cool, but it's also like there's something about Peter whare he is a good something more, there's something more, And then that kind of translates to Strange puts him in that mirror dimension, which Strange think, He's like.
Speaker 1: Here, I'm all power. I have home court advantage, I mean control.
Speaker 3: And then Peter realizes that the mirror dimension is oldest geography, and he's like, oh, I'm really good at the geometry. Yeah, He's like, I'm really good at this, I'm really good at maths, like I can do this.
Speaker 1: And he and he webs him up.
Speaker 2: It's perfect, you know, like you would think, oh, strange in the mirror to mension, this is home court advantage.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha has.
Speaker 2: As wise comics readers, Rosy and I would note true home court advantage is whose comic slash movie is it. It's spider Man's movie, motherfucker. So of course spider Man beats Doctor Strange. Now Here is where we should say spider Man is a hero. But you know, heroism should be tempered with reasonable caution. But Peter, as doctor Strange notes all throughout the movie, is still just a kid. And so Peter's decision is, I'm gonna take some of my most iconic super villains Norman Osborne, Electro Sandman, and Doctor Octopus back to Happy's condo to hang out with it at May so we can all science away that allows them to go back to their dimensions safely. Peter makes a replacement ship for ox Tentacle rig which filters out the influence of the tentacles from doctor Octopus's mind. It goes great. Now all of a sudden, Octavius is just like his regular old, brilliant, non evil self. This is all going great. And as they're working on an anti serum antidote for Green Goblin, guess what, Peter Spidey sense goes off and it turns out that at some point Goblin had gotten control of Norman Osborne's body, but has been like kind of laying low waiting for his time to strike. But guess what his time to strike is now? Big fight breaks out. Electro Lizard and Sandman and Octavius all flee the scene. Norman is just insanely powerful. He pummels Peter all through the condo buildings, down through the floors of the building into the lobby.
Speaker 1: It's a great action scene. Yeah, what's a good web action?
Speaker 3: There's like, what's a good flipping And it's really really great, very brutal actually personally.
Speaker 2: Very very brutal, awesome Spider Man versus the Green Goblin fight. May courageously is about to defend her nephew when Goblin remote Pilots has sled into May, which knocks her hard to the ground. He gets on his sled and flies off, flinging a pumpkin bomb like in his wake to destroy Peter and aunt May. Peter managed to shield May, and he realizes in this moment that like, look at this destruction. I was wrong. I should have just let Strange send them all back, even if it's to their death. That's none of our business. They don't belong here, They're in the wrong dimension. Stranger's right. May May is like, no, no, no, no, no, you're wrong. You have this gift, this is your responsibility as the person who brought them here. And with great power that you have, the great power that you have, comes great responsibility.
Speaker 1: You have to help them. And this really hits Peter.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, as her as the adrenaline from this crazy fight that she's witnessed fades, she collapses and were re realize that she's mortally wounded, much more seriously injured than we thought, and heartbreakingly she passes. She dies, She passes rip Aunt May, and her passing absolutely destroys Peter, just brings him to his absolute lowest point that we've seen in mcuh it is it's just wildly heartbreaking, and we should add as an addendum to this, we called it. We called it that with you, called that we were going to get in this movie, with great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 3: And they did a really cool thing where we said, we said that we felt like it was going to come from like Aunt May's perspective, and they did that in a really dark way where it's aunt May who's actually the one who says it, and they even you us. We talked last week about like the the comics accurate caption, which is like, with great power, there must also come great responsibility, and that's what she says to him. She says, you know, with great power, that also comes great responsibility. So it's even more accurate than we've seen before. And it was just this it.
Speaker 1: Was so good, Like I was so good.
Speaker 3: I love Marissa, so I'm really sad about it, but like it was so good.
Speaker 2: I mean, for like a real tour de force acting wise, because Tom and Marissa make you feel it here, you feel it you It is an incredibly earned and and emotional death scene and it, I mean, it really rocks you, like there's part of the magic of this movie is obviously like it's an incredible wild adventure with multiple like multiversal characters all like smashing into the Marvel universe in this wild way. But also it's a really great did like character and relationship movie that really breaks your heart in a million different ways.
Speaker 3: It's like it's really interestingly contained. Even this action is like in the apartment building and then there's another big action sequence we'll get to but like it's this really contained human drama, and I mean, I know we'll get to it. But like Tom Holland is this is like a career best.
Speaker 1: He crushes it.
Speaker 2: He he really crushes it in this He's so good if.
Speaker 1: He made you cry.
Speaker 3: And in the Infinity War scene, you know, like mister Stark like I don't want to go.
Speaker 1: You know this is going to get you here for the whole movie.
Speaker 2: The entire movie, because it really is like Peter's you know, existential like anxiety and his his innate goodness, the fact that he just doesn't want to affect other people, like he wants to be a superhero, but when it spills over into affecting his friends, it's it causes him to act and obviously in that sense, like nobody has been a bigger influence in his life than it may.
Speaker 1: He loves her and this is just it wrecks him.
Speaker 2: Ned and MJ that now the news of that is all over the place on TV everywhere.
Speaker 1: Ned and MJ see this, and they know their friend needs them.
Speaker 2: So Ned had at some point, like during this doctor Strange fight, had Cad Stranges slingering. Strange, by the way, is trapped in the mirror dimension at this time, and Ned realizes suddenly that true to family lore, he can actually, it seems, do magic stuff. And concentrating on their need to help their friend Peter, Ned says, I need to see my friend Peter. And he casts a portal and it opens and they're Spider Man in an alley and Spider Man sees the portal and he waited. He's like what, and they're like, Peter, come here, Peter, and Peter comes and he jumps through the portal and it's Andrew Garfield.
Speaker 1: Crowd goes fucking why, I mean, theater goes. It absolutely fucking explodes. I hope that.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're listening to this, you've hopefully already seen it. Yeah, if you're fit. It didn't have that reaction. Find the nearest theits.
Speaker 1: You find, go see it again.
Speaker 3: And busiest screen and go and see it because this is that movie. Like we see a lot of press movies and like yes screenings, and there's ones where you get those big reactions and there's one way you don't. But that was like people are giving round of a pause. There's like it's the Oscars.
Speaker 1: People are like, yeah.
Speaker 2: When it when the portal opens and you see Spider Man in the suit turn around, and then it was like that murmur of oh shit, this is it.
Speaker 1: Cure it is, it's it. And then when he.
Speaker 2: Pulls off the mask, it's like, ah, it was great. And then so they're like, Okay, this is weird.
Speaker 1: Who are you? Are you really Peter Parker?
Speaker 2: They do this is really wonderful scene in which they ask him to prove it by like crawling around, and he's like.
Speaker 1: Do I need a crawl around?
Speaker 2: I'm already hanging from the ceiling. Do I need to do all this stuff? And MJ's like bread rolls at him, had to see if he does this like Peter Tingle, and if so, then they cast another portal Okay, let's get let's try again.
Speaker 1: We got we gotta find Peter. He needs this. Let's do it. And who steps through but Tomy McGuire.
Speaker 2: Crowd goes wild again. Theater explodes again.
Speaker 1: He's he's wearing casual clothes. They haven't daged him.
Speaker 3: This is like Uncle Peter, he's he's there, he wants to help mcu Peter, he wants he feels like there's a Spider sense that.
Speaker 1: Means he knows, yes, that Peter needs him. And it's just this.
Speaker 3: I was so ready to go into this movie and worry that it was going to be this kind of cynical look what we own, but they did this so well. I was like incredibly surprised by how well the Spider Man's stuff works.
Speaker 2: You know, Garfield and McGuire, but particularly McGuire, they are older, they're wiser, they are slightly damaged by their time as clearly their adventuress as Spider Man has continued, like in their reality past what we know in the movies. So they are just different people and they are exactly the perspective that Peter needs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So MJ again, this was done so well, and the chemistry from the Spider Man, and the rest of the cast is like incredible. It's just they nailed this, and they needed to nail it, and they killed it with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they let Toby gets to be this kind of composed adult PM that he never was. Yes, and we learned that he kind of still is with MJ in this way.
Speaker 1: And then Garfield has this like manic emo energy that's kind of this.
Speaker 3: It feels really true to the character we saw, but it's also like a funny methatext.
Speaker 1: On him being emo spider Man. Yeah, because he's like it.
Speaker 2: Increasingly, as we get to know Andrew Garfield, spider let's call him a spider Man, spider Man three require spider Man two, we realize that he feels a real sense of inferiority as he realizes the stuff that the other Spider Man has done. And in addition to you know, the fact that his MJ died he wasn't able to save her. There is a real hole in his heart because of these things. He talks about it over the course of the day, and he even as we get to know him, he's a more ragefull Spider Man because he's hurt, he's wounded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he even, like, you know, Jason mentioned my MJ.
Speaker 3: That's actually what he references Gwen as, because he knows that's how the other two Spider Man will relate to it, right, So, and he says, yeah, he's kind of got that Spider Man rain, like Dark Spider Man. He says, you know, he became bitter, rage full.
Speaker 2: He he's stopped pulling his punches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he stopped pulling his punches, you know. So it's really interesting to see them have so much fun with these different iterations of Spider Man. And as the movie goes on, I mean, they do a really good job of bringing closure to these stories. So MJ and Ned lead the Peters to their Peter. The Peters share their story of Uncle Ben, who you know, our Peter Parker does not have, but who died in much the same way as Peter's aunt May and became this obviously catalytic force that allowed the Peters to unlock the full power of their heroism. And the two Peters tell Peter like this, May died for a reason. It wasn't for no reason. It's the same reason that our uncle Ben died. And so this this lifts Peter and the three Peters pick up where the original science mission picked off. They start designing these devices that will allow them to depower each of the interdimensional trespassers so they can send them safely back to their dimension. Peter then sends a video to the Daily Bugle in which he talks about, Yeah, I did this. I brought these trespassers here and if they want to find me, I'll be at the Statue of Liberty of hanging out there, I'm waiting for it.
Speaker 1: Yet this box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with the box that they don't want me to push the button because I will send them all back.
Speaker 1: I know they want to stay here.
Speaker 2: So he's effectively lured them to the Statue of Liberty, which by the way, has now been retrofitted with a caps shield.
Speaker 1: A big fight ensues.
Speaker 2: At the Statue of Liberty, and we get this wonderful character moment where Andrew, who has again felt insecure about his role as Spider and compared to the other two and who you know failed Gwen gets to save MJ in this universe and man Garfield again we talk about Tom Holland Garfield gives it to you, so he saves so MJ falling off the scaffolding Peter Parker six one six Peter Parker one gets tries to save her, but gets hit out of the way by the Green Goblin, and Garfield, recognizing again this mirror image of the thing that happened in his universe, swings into action saves her life. And there's this moment where he's like, are you okay? And when he realizes she is, he starts crying and it is it got me, It got.
Speaker 1: Me me too.
Speaker 3: And then and Zendeia, who is just, by the way, so amazing in this We haven't even really like given her her problem, yes, but like she's so good. She's so funny, she's so emotional, she's so heartfelt. She's bringing that Emmy winner depth to this role. But like Andrew's you know, he doesn't wear her this time. He catches her in the arms because you learn his lesson, and he's like are you okay? And he starts crying. And then when he starts crying, she looks at him and she's like, are you okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh dude, that was really that was the It was one bearing up. It got me like in the chest. Like Andrew is such.
Speaker 1: A good actor. I mean it's like he's so.
Speaker 2: Good in this and there's real I mean, this is kind of like, this is the real magic of this movie. This is a movie that ties up emotional loose ends from previous Spider Man movies in a way that feels like.
Speaker 1: Really really earned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is one of the just like the big emotions.
Speaker 3: That's actually definitely something that I think it does so well that I wasn't expecting.
Speaker 1: Everyone gets to have their moment.
Speaker 3: I think by this point, you know, Toby's pet has already seen Doc off my dear boy. You know, there's these like every Jamie and Andrew get to have that moment. There's this there's this tying up of loose ends emotionally and narratively that the wonder if he's never got to have.
Speaker 1: It's really really wonderful and really magic.
Speaker 2: So at the end of this big fight, Sandman has been deepowered, Lizard has been deepowered, Electro has been deepowered. And at the end it's Peter one Tom Holland versus the Green Goblin. And you know, Peter is full of anger and vengeance and he wants to enact that vengeance on the Green Goblin who killed Aunt May and he lifts the Green Goblins sled and he's about to mark them with it when Toby Maguire Peter Too, stops him and he's like, hey, don't do this, Like I wouldn't want you to do this. Remember what May said, I just like talking Peter out of it. Green Goblin stabs him in the backs Stoli in the back, uh and uh. In that moment, Garfield swings down throws Peter One the antidote. Peter One, De Goblin's Norman uh Strange then arrives and he's gonna send them back.
Speaker 1: But now we've.
Speaker 2: Got the issue of as he's about to send them all back, there's now an infinite number of people throughout the dimensions who know who Peter Parker is, and they are coming crashing into this dimension and it's destroying reality. And then this kind of like broken sky you see. I saw Craven, I saw a Scorpion. I couldn't make out anybody else, but those were there.
Speaker 3: There's like a bold headed person who, there's Rhino, there's there's When that this comes out on Disney Plus or DVD, we'll be able to pause it and see the outlines of these characters. Because the truth is that when strangers first messing up the spell, we see the outline of Lizard. So they set up this idea that you can see who these people might be. And obviously, as we know from the comics, literally every single person in the call makes knows Peter Parker Spider Man, so it could really be anyone coming.
Speaker 2: So Peter now realizes, Okay, this mistake, miscalculation that that I made is now threatening to like actually destroy the world. So okay, run the original spell. Erase me from existence, no caveats, Just erase me, erase everyone's memory.
Speaker 1: That I ever get. Yeah, He's like, not even just that I'm Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Just people will forget that Peter Parker ever existed. I'm gone from everybody's memory. And Straining is like are you sure, and he's at yeah, it gets a little sary. He's like, yes, absolutely, do it. So strangers like, okay, it's gonna take me like a minute and a half to run this spell. Say goodbye to everybody now, So he says goodbye to his his alternate egos, uh Peter. Two and three, he says goodbye to Ned and he says, really tearful wonderful goodbye that will again just really get you.
Speaker 1: To MJ. They admit their love for each other.
Speaker 2: It's one of those moments where you're like, you know, watching it, I'm like, oh, their love will transcend this spell. They'll remember, there'll be some kind of inkling about, like she'll see him and there'll be some kind of spark of recognition and it'll be there.
Speaker 3: And my favorite part is like MJ's like, you have to come find me. Yeah, And if you don't, I will work it out. And if I work it out before you and I find you in trouble, I'm gonna suck you up. Trouble is you need to find me and tell me what happened. Strange casts the spell and and it works. It absolutely works a rass everyone's memory of Peter Parker. Peter goes to see MJ and there is no spark of recognition. Ned is there.
Speaker 2: Ned comes in. They got into m I t they're talking about it. Peter orders a coffee. He talks to her a little bit. He's got a speech he prepared, but in the end he can't. He decides, you know what, our love for each other is there. I love her, but It's safer this way, isn't it. Their lives are happy, and it's it's my time to be a hero. I've got this great power. I need to take responsibility and not bring everybody into my mess. And he decides, and it's a very tough decision, you could tell. He decides not to not to talk to MJ about their past. He goes to May's grave and there he runs into Happy. Happy also does not remember Peter, but he's obviously very heartbroken for May. And so then Peter goes off. He gets a little apartment that everyone who has ever read a Spiderman comic will recognize.
Speaker 1: With the Spider Man comics.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get broke Peter in his tiny apartment now, and he begins, you know, looking at police scanners looking for crime in New York City, and it's time to become the hero that he was always meant to be, truly, And then we go to our stingers.
Speaker 1: Stinger one. He wondered what happened at the end of Let there be Carnridge? Where here it is?
Speaker 2: Eddie Brock is sitting there drinking at a bar in Mexico, trying to make sense of this entire superhero situation, like he's in this new universe. There's a lot of superheroes here, you say, And Danny from ted Lasso is his bartender, yeah, and is explaining all.
Speaker 1: This stuff to him.
Speaker 2: And just when it comes time for Eddie Brock to pay the bill, guess what Strange's spell sending all the interdimensional trespassers back to their world kicks in and he disappears, and he's gone, along with Venom.
Speaker 1: They're gone back to their dimension. But oh, oh wait a.
Speaker 2: Second, A small doll up of Venom attached to like the Margarita glass, remains on the bar and twitches a little bit, so is still active. Yes, the cymbia is in the The symbia is in the MCU Stinger two just a full trailer for doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. And this is the first we were talking about this after the movie. This is the first time the end Stinger has been a full train since the trailer for the Avengers in Captain America, the first Avenger.
Speaker 3: And that was really before they'd established the mid credits post credits as a classic thing. So the trailer was more just like, oh, here's a trailer at the end, you know, so it's really interesting to see them go back to that and this was like, this is like.
Speaker 2: A long trailer, a long, big trailer with a lot of stuff in it.
Speaker 1: You see America javes, America javes so much wonder You.
Speaker 2: See Wander in her classic scarlet witch costume.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is she and what man wondergll you see schumagoraf ak what they're probably gonna call gag antos. We know now, like it's a lot and I'm assuming that this weekend or Monday they'll probably release it, yes, once people have.
Speaker 1: Seen it in the theater and watched it.
Speaker 3: But the kind of really funny implication about the Stinger is there's a lot of stuff from that What If episode four in there. But the funny implication is, so nobody knows who Peter Barker is, which means probably no one knows why doctor Strange did this spell that created the multiverse so seemingly most of us have madness. Is him basically having to deal with the fallout of doing a spell for someone he doesn't remember.
Speaker 1: Because everyone's like, hey, why did you do the spell? And he's like he's.
Speaker 2: Up next, More Spider Man. We are back with more Spider Man, No Way Home. Now that we've recapped this that, let's dive into some of these things.
Speaker 1: First of all, I loved this movie. I loved how.
Speaker 2: Old fashioned comics it was, you know, like really old fashioned comic book stuff.
Speaker 1: It's the most comics accurate Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, like the pure, almost hokey idea of heroism and sacrifice and what that means, taking responsibility for your actions, taking responsibility for super villains who have hurt you and have hurt other people because it's your responsibility that they're here.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: All of that is pure, pure Spider Man in the most old fashioned, like original nineteen sixties depiction of Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Way, and it felt really good.
Speaker 3: It's very silver age, it's very there's these huge, sweeping emotional moments, but there's also this legitimate, like funny comedy the stuff with the Spider Man. They really are in this humor that is so there with with Spider Man. It's always like he's broke, which they also play into here which they haven't really done before, which is fun. He's broke and he's also sad, but he's also like a funny, nerdy dude who can make a joke or do maths and beat doctor Strange. And this really I wasn't expecting this to be such a great Spider Man movie. And I really think, like in my spoiler free review, that was my biggest thing, is like I can't talk about all the things that you want to know about, but I can tell you that if you want to see a really great Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Movie, you're not going to be disappointed.
Speaker 2: If you love Spider Man, if you love Spider Man comics, if you've ever liked a Spider Man movie, you'll fucking love this movie at period, you will love it. Okay, some questions, how does the spell erasing the memory of Spider Man as Peter Parker, How does it work?
Speaker 1: So I went back. This is kind of based on.
Speaker 2: The one One More Day slash A Brand New Day kind of paradigm. The first part of that is a controversial for the time arc in which, in the wake of Civil war, during which Peter had revealed his identity to the world at Tony Stark's behest because he was pro registration, his life becomes terrible. Kingpin orders a hit on him at the bullet meant for him hits Aunt May.
Speaker 1: He's at a crossroads.
Speaker 2: He needs to erase his memory, so he makes a deal with Mephisto erasing his memory that also erases like the possibility that he and MJ would you know, it basically erases their relationship and also like eliminates the future daughter that they.
Speaker 1: Were gonna have.
Speaker 2: And then in the Brand New Day paradigm we kind of see how that plays out. Yeah, and so I think it'll work like this because all the evidence that Peter Parker with Spider Man still exists, Like if people mysterios videos still exists on the Daily Bugle hard drive somewhere, like j J. Jamison might accidentally like run across and be like, oh, what the fuck is this? Similarly, MJ and Ned could like go in their phone and see all these pictures of them hanging out with their heart. Who is this?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: The way it works in the comics is not only is the memory erased, but if they are faced with, oh, Peter Parker, who is this? They just kind of will lose interest. So if someone shows Ned and MJ, here is you hanging out with this guy Peter Parker, they'll just be like, oh, that's interesting and then not.
Speaker 1: Care about it. That's how it would work. Yeah, yeah, that's how it work.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good call because like the ending of the movie, which is so hour ful, where Peter goes and sees MJ and they kind of there's a there's a something like a conversation, a connection, but he makes the choice that's very Brand New Day where she's like, you know, we knew each other in another life or whatever, but it's never a there's no recollection of the deal. And so I think Brand New Day is obviously like Dan Slot gets a thanks in the movie, so this is obviously a big inspiration that ending. I was like, oh, yeah, they're really doing it, like this is.
Speaker 1: Pete on his own.
Speaker 3: And also, so the really controversial thing about that was, you know, Peter and MJ married. The editors at the time didn't allegedly didn't like Peter and MDA being married, didn't like hens.
Speaker 2: Thought it's stimy there stymy growth as a character.
Speaker 3: And the wild thing is that these comics came out, you know in the zeros, like Brand New Day was like yeah, and Brand New Day came out in like two thousand and eight, and Mary Jane and Peter have still never actually been clinically together properly after those comics. So I love mj and Peter in the MCU, but I do think that they're going to use this as a space to introduce a Gwen Stacy or you know, many of any of Peter's kind of many different love interests. And it makes me sad because I feel like they were so sweet together. But like in a weird way, this movie is kind of something I think is really cool about this movie.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect.
Speaker 3: We never got a Peter Parker MCU origin, which worked really well at the time because you don't need it. We've seen that origin a lot of times. Right, this movie actually works as an origin. We leave him where most Peter Parkers begin.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you mentioned that because it really is crazy. Again, like when I say, like, I felt the same way I felt about Endgame watching this movie, because it's like kind of a miracle structurally, like how they did it. You're absolutely right, this is a Spider Man origin story in the MCU in five movie, here's a third.
Speaker 1: Spider Man movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So not only does he confirm that he was bitten by a spider, which we never heard in the MCU before. We also get there with great power moment and we leave him. You know, he's in his broken down apartment, he's got his ged book, he's not going to college, and he makes his own suit and it's this beautiful bright blue, bright red suit.
Speaker 1: That he's sewed on a machine. So somehow this movie ends up being an origin story. It's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the spell is such a smart way for them to basically do what they in Ultimate Spider Man. You know, Peter died and then you had Miles, but then Peter came back. But MCU has always been more grounded, even in this weird magical space. There's lots of good magic jokes in this movie too, So I think this is a really smart way of basically, you write Peter Parker the person out now, and you can still have Spider Man the figurehead, and then when you need Peter to come back for that impactful moment, whether it's a Miles moment or an MJ moment or whatever, he can come back as Peter Parker. So okay, so I have a question, who do you think still remembers pa Because I believe that's probably one past.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be one person, right, there's gonna be the one magical, somehow person that remembers Peter. Okay, so this dovetails into my one note. So there's a brief line of exchange where strangers like, you fucked up my spell five times, and then Peter is like, actually no, it's six, yes, six times. Right, So Venom never actually comes into the action, right, we only see him in the center, but he's clearly the sixth So of course, like, how would Venom know about Peter Parker? It's probably because of HiveMind. The hive mind allows the parasite to have the memories of all the other like bits of parasite that are across the universe. And like in Spider Man three, that parasite knew that Peter Parker was YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 1: That's how they came.
Speaker 2: So Strange banishes all the trespassers, But this dollop of Venom stays behind. Now does it make sense that you because it's magic, so.
Speaker 1: You can't really evade it.
Speaker 2: It theoretically doesn't make sense that this drop of venom remained behind. But what if this venom is the one that remembers like like why would it stay? Yes, if it if it binged to evade this part of the magic, the magic that banished all the trespassers, then potentially it evaded the magic that erased the memory of Peter Parker as well.
Speaker 3: That's actually really true because technically Eddie Brook should have been able to stay and the venom should have had to leave because the venom was the thing that knew Peter Parker. But if it evaded this magic, maybe because it was disconnected from the sentient body or whatever. So the magic that's really smart because we talked a lot about this, like off the movie and stuff. Obviously, what Kevin Faigi wanted from Sony was the was the symb.
Speaker 1: You called.
Speaker 2: Also, there's another thing that you called is like that said Tom Hardy back to the Sony.
Speaker 1: Ratting him in these movies, Dude, I love that. Tom Hardy was like, fine, you're not gonna let me in the movie. I'm gonna venom so hard.
Speaker 3: I'm actually gonna venom harder in this segment than I venomed even in both.
Speaker 1: In the.
Speaker 3: Incredible he's saying he's calling Tony Stark a tin man he's dismissing the bartender, he's dismissing his his family getting blipped. He's like, aliens don't care about stones, they just want to eat braids. Like he's going hard. But I think you're onto something because imagine. I think the reason they want the symbia is they could do a Tom Holland Venom kind of a black suit Spider Man thing, especially now he's by himself. But I think that that's a bit I think it's a bit too close to what they've been doing already with Venom. But if the Venom symbia venomizes other characters, which is very popular in the comics and has been a really good marketing tool. Marvel sells a lot of pops that are venomized figures and stuff. Imagine if the Venom, whoever gets venomized, can remember Peter Parker while they are venomized, and that they could want to hunt down Pizza Paka, they could do also Again, this is so dumb.
Speaker 1: I have to say, we don't know if he's still going to be Peter Parker.
Speaker 3: I could see them like making it where his new name is like Ben Riley, Ben Ryle.
Speaker 1: And they do it that way, so he's not a clone, but that's like his new.
Speaker 2: Right so for those so for those who are not a deep comic readers of Spider Man, Ben and never clone saga, Ben Riley is the controversial for the time clone of Spider Man who died and then came back and is currently Spider Man right now in the com you know, read Cody Zigler's issue of the current Spider Man arc in which Ben Riley is Spider Man. Anyway, another thing we called that I guess we should talk about because there is Hawkeye is ongoing right now. Is you called Matt Murdoch in this movie. I wasn't sure, but I called that. If he was, it's gonna be Matt Murdoch from this dimension, no multidimensional Matt Murdoch, because again, his law degree would need to work in this world, and indeed it does need to work, because he is May Parker and Peter Parker's lawyer, although no longer because now he doesn't remember who they are, but he did.
Speaker 1: I think they did a really good.
Speaker 3: Job seeding, he tells happy like he says, I thought this was really funny and good as well. Where the case is not going to stick against Peter, but happy as like a representative Stark Tech. He needs a good lawyer because you are the adult. You're giving this child drones like please pay for your sins. So I think we could see Matt like as happy as lawyer. But really we know that the big the dead evil connections are going to be in the TV shows. It's going to be Echo, It's going to be Hawkeye, Kingpin, shea Hawk definitely shee howk The law connections there with Matt are going to be so clear. I couldn't see how they were going to do this just because of tonally how different it was. But as soon as Charlie Cox was on that screen, I was like, how did this not happen sooner?
Speaker 1: Because he just was beautiful in it.
Speaker 3: It was wonderful and they really went for that, like you know that recent that Charles soul Dead Evil Roun who everyone really loved and like his the tiny little red glasses that it just looked so he just fit in so well and it just made me very excited.
Speaker 2: It was legitimately two minutes and it was wonderful. Now here's my question. We're in the Daredevil Netflix lore is this taking place because I would contend that while he's probably doing Daredevil shit at this time, it's not like all the way through the seasons, because if this is this is happening, we assume concurrently with hawkeyed is Christmas season. We see the Rogers the musical billboard like up in the city, So this is happening as Clint is like and his family were in New York City attending the musical, as Kate is going to the auction. All of that stuff is happening at once, and the Kingpin is rising through the ranks. We're unsure at this point, like how powerful he actually is. Is he still just like kind of the head of the track suits? Is he bigger than that? Is he actually the kingpin of crime in New York? Now, in the Daredevil series, Kingpin is established, He's the guy, He's the dude. So I guess the question is, like, where exactly is Matt in his Daredevil arc at this time?
Speaker 3: I wonder if I wonder if the easiest way for them to do it is Kingpin was in prison like he was in Daredevil, and king he is basically reclaiming his crown after being in prison, So he's on a re rise, but the people.
Speaker 1: Who know him know him, and my guess would.
Speaker 3: Be from Matt just casually being able to just pro bono work for May Even though there was obviously some chemistry there, we also got some nice May doc Cop chemistry.
Speaker 1: I was loving that ODP from.
Speaker 3: The comics, but like, I kind of imagine that to me, Matt thinks Kingpin is gone or is not on the rise, and is able to lean a bit more into loyally stuff and is kind of in this false safe space of like, well, now I can focus on street level stuff because Kingpin's not a threat.
Speaker 1: Okay. Surprised that no Miles moraless.
Speaker 3: In this, I was, And I actually I think it's one of the few glaring flaws of the movie to me is that I understand you made a really good point before about them like wrapping. You know, they want to wrap stuff up, like they want to wrap up these old stories and stuff, which I think is really good. But like, I do think people are going to be really disappointed. I think it seems obvious.
Speaker 2: There's a little mention Electro, Yeah, it'd be cool if there is a black Spider Man.
Speaker 3: He's like, there must be a black Spider Man in some universe, and it is a good joke where he basically says he thought that the Andrew Garth Spider Man was black because like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he helps, he helps people, he's from Queens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that was really cool, but I.
Speaker 3: Personally was hoping for a bit more than a joke. I felt like maybe the second post credits scene. But I also do think we just got the reveal that Across the Spider Us is going to be two part are The first one was so transgressive and radical and really changed things. I mean, without that movie, we probably don't get this movie. Agreed that we got no way home, so I understand why Sony might not be desperate to throw Miles in at this point.
Speaker 1: But I do feel like.
Speaker 3: This movie did set up a New York where Miles could exist without Peter Parker. We need a new street level hero, but that could also be Kamala Khan, who we know is will becoming very soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, final thoughts about this movie.
Speaker 2: Where does it stand in the Spider Man movie pantheon and where do you have it in the MCU pantheon? I think like clearly, as Phase four stands, this is the movie of phase four. This is one of the this is I put this in my top level of Marvel movies. This was a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's really I think it's definitely my favorite Spider Man movie for me, Like why not just go all out?
Speaker 1: Why not? They?
Speaker 3: They somehow managed to pull this off, And for me, it has that balance that we talked about, the emotion, the humor, the action, the drama that they almost like the sincerity mixed with that occasional campiness of the many. And also the other reason that it really feels like Spider May movie is because of all the villains. That's like a number one Spider Man story. That's why the Sinister Six is such a thing, you know. So for me, definitely my favorite Spider Man movie of all the movies, even though I'm still Spider Man three Stan obviously love.
Speaker 1: That terrible movie. This is Homecoming was my favorite before.
Speaker 3: This is definitely my favorite now and it's yeah, it's up there in that top five for me. I mean this is like a I remember when thor Ragnarok came out right and like just on a quality and tone level, I was like whoa, Like this is so different, Like this is not obviously a Tiger wy Tt movie or a Ryan Coogler movie. It doesn't have the auteur aspect, but tonally an impact wise, it feels like that to me, like that next level that kind of adds something new to the MCU.
Speaker 2: What about you, I completely agree. I would have it as my favorite Spider Man movie. I think it's one of the best Marvel movies that they've done. I think it was the team up movie that Phase four needed. And it's just kind of like a magical bit of comic book storytelling that, on the one hand, manages to capture what people love about Spider Man that kind of again that kind of almost hokey, old fashion, completely sincere heroism in the most silver age, as you mentioned, sense of a superhero who does good and doesn't kill anybody and does their best, almost to the point of being ridiculously idealistic with it, but in this way that felt so earned and true to whom Peter Parker is as a person in the things.
Speaker 1: He's been through.
Speaker 2: On top of that is this incredible, action packed, hilarious adventure of riches that is just a kind of like a feast for action fans, for fans who love excitement, but also like is so rewarding as fan service as it no matter what your level of fandom is. If you're a diehard Spider Man fan, there's Easter eggs in here that will reward you. If you just love the MCU Spider Man movies, there's Easter eggs in here that reward you. If you loved all the Toby Reguire Andrew Garfield stuff, there's Easter eggs that reward you. There's just wonderful references all throughout, like even going so far inst having William Devoue say with the exact look on his face, I'm something of a scientist myself. Like, there's all these things in there that just reward you for paying attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got and there's everything from you get the Easter eggs stuff, you know, on the bridge, the MIT admissions, Lady Haka has ASM three, which is a big you know, it's a big Dot coc issue, and then you get dot cock on the bridge.
Speaker 1: So you got the little notes like that, but you also.
Speaker 3: Get these really satisfying, juicy, emotional narrative endings for these characters. Something that I really loved about this movie is like Andrew Garfield Spider Man. There's a whole generation where that's their spider Man, that's their first spider Man, and they didn't get to see what happened to him after this really you know, harsh moment. They got a sinister six nod, but they never got it. And I love everything about this movie, but I really love the idea that that Andrew Garfield stands are gonna like finally get their moment and get their ending.
Speaker 2: It is so satisfying. Absolutely loved it. I mean it just they crushed it. If I hope that everyone here got to see it in a good theater, as Rosie said, if you didn't see it in a theater where people were going crazy, go see it again with that theater. Because we were lucky enough, even in a press screening, to have a theater that was like ready to go and just really really fun experience. They nailed it. Great job, Kevin Feige and the whole team. Up next, nerd Out.
Speaker 1: Welcome to nerd Out.
Speaker 2: In our first listeners submitted nerd Out audience member Megan Wright gives us her pitch for nineteen eighty seven's fantasy called Classic Sword's Point by Ellen Kushner, which full disclosure, I have listened to this nerd Out already and I bought the book.
Speaker 4: Hey Jason and the x Ray Vision Team.
Speaker 1: My name is Megan.
Speaker 4: I live in Brooklyn, huge fan of the show and my very niche likely not usable pitch for nerd Out is Ellen Kushner's nineteen eighty seven books swords Point. It's one of those books I can't believe everybody hasn't read like. I can't believe it's not canonical. It's about a swordsman named Richard living in a city that doesn't have a name, mostly in this skid rowne called Riverside, his quote unquote friend Alec, this degenerate university drop out with pretty dangerous tastes and a mysterious backstory and a highly intricate political plot that these two men get caught up in and then shape to their own ends. And it would be super campy except that it's really really concise. The whole plot takes place in this one city over the course of maybe a few months. The characters are just sumptuous. There's this incredible duchess, and everyone is queer. Everyone in this book that came out in nineteen eighty seven is like super Hella, out of control gay and this was and is very important to me. I found this book at my public library because I was in middle school and I was very into the girls with Swords genre, most defined for me by Tamara Peers, and Sword's Point has a sequel called The Privilege of the Sword, which has young woman as its narrator. And I went to the library to find that book at the recommendation of someone on an internet forum. It's called Shiroscentral dot com. The library didn't have the Privilege of the Sword, but it was in those days where like if the library didn't have what you were looking for, you just took home whatever was next to it on the shelf.
Speaker 1: And so I took Swords went home.
Speaker 4: And I was not like super clearly aware of my own queerness at this point.
Speaker 1: I was maybe like eleven or twelve.
Speaker 4: But when I realized that these two main characters, these two men, were in love with each other, I put down the book and I ran into the living room and told my parents. I was so excited. It meant so much to me, and it still means a lot to me. That book just yeah, I reread it I reread Sword's Point once every four years or so. I wait until I've forgotten the plot because the twists are really good, and so that I can be surprised by it again, and then I make everybody else read it too. I know I'm going really long on this pitch, and I know the last quest I'm supposed to answer is what's coming soon in this world that we can look forward to? The answer is nothing.
Speaker 1: There's nothing coming.
Speaker 4: There's just this singular, perfect, decades old diamond of a book that you can read in a weekend and that will sustain you forever.
Speaker 1: That's my pitch.
Speaker 4: Read Sorts Point by Ellen Kushner. You guys are great, Thanks so.
Speaker 1: Much, Thanks Megan.
Speaker 2: If you want to be featured, send your nerd out pitch to x Ray at Crooked dot com. Instructions in the show notes up next to the Endgame.
Speaker 1: Hello Peter, We're.
Speaker 2: In the Endgame now, and today we're playing another round of Assembly Required, in which Rosie and I will pick our character or item from Spider and No Way Home to successfully fulfill a randomly assigned mission.
Speaker 1: Chris, what is our mission for today?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: So the mission this week? Given that a few of the characters in No Way Home. Jamie fox in particular, got a lovely makeover, looking much better than the last time we saw him.
Speaker 1: I mean we talk about we didn't even talk about.
Speaker 2: The incredible retcon of Jamie Foxx's character from a sexy muscle elector amazing spider man to to to No Way Home, but con.
Speaker 5: Dig you so in honor of that, the challenge this week is pick a character for the movie each of you, and that character is going to take you to the mall for a pretty woman's style shopping spree. The caveat here is that the budget is as much the person can afford, and they pick your clothes based on their style.
Speaker 2: Wow, you went first last time, so I will go first this time. As much as they can afford. Okay, well wow, well listen, if you want to go big, that means it's got to be either Norman or Happy because they're the only ones with a check book. I just wouldn't feel right having May take me on shopping spree when her literal job is like community service and running a food bank.
Speaker 1: These are like money.
Speaker 2: I don't feel right using money for donations to just be like let's shop, So of those. Happy is too much of a sad bitch because of his breakup with May, and I don't want to hear about it. I just don't want to hear him going on and on and on about May. So you know what, he's messy. But Norman Osborne like, let's do it. I think it would be fun. I don't know what I'll end up looking like. I don't know if you're gonna kill.
Speaker 1: Me in the middle of this.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're gonna launch a terrorist attack on the mall and start throwing pumpkin bombs around. I just know that it's gonna be an adventure even talking to you, So it's gonna be I'm gonna say, Norman Osborne, let's go take me to the salon and let's get those weird waves put in like comics.
Speaker 1: Let's go Rosie. I absolutely love that.
Speaker 3: I think you undred percent when for the right person when it comes to financial backing.
Speaker 1: And he had some nice looks in this movie, the purple jacket with the green hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I just need to say, Actually, I didn't get to talk about this, but I'm so happy that May broke up with Happy.
Speaker 1: That was like my.
Speaker 3: Absolute worst cursed pairing, and I hated it. So the movie beginning with her breaking up with him and being like it was just a fling, that gave me a lot of joy in my soul. I am going to go the opposite route where I'm going to go for esthetic over cost, because you went for Norman, who's definitely the best choice. I would never choose to hang out with Happy. I don't like him. I'm going to go for MJ because I am a teenage more goth at heart. So even if there's only like ten dollars, I know she's gonna take me to hot topic or a thrift store. I'll be wearing a black hoodie. I'll just look like my normal clothes, but I'll get to hang out with her. I think she's pretty cool and that would really definitely represent my style. I wouldn't have to worry too much about changing a style even if it is a budget shopping spree.
Speaker 1: That's it for the endgame.
Speaker 2: Let us know who you think one and use hashtag XRV endgame to give us your pick.
Speaker 1: Well, folks, this was a super fun episode.
Speaker 2: Big thank you to the great Rosie Night for joining us on x Ray, Rosie where can people find you?
Speaker 1: Hello me on social media?
Speaker 3: Rosie Marx is my Instagram And if you liked any of the stuff we were talking about here, you can go to Notice where there is a ton of big explainers of all this kind of stuff, different theories, digging into what the movie means. So yeah, if you want to do some reading, that is there for you, as well as weekly Hawkeye Easter eggs, which I spent many nights finding those eggs for you guys.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn more about what we explore in each episode, check out our listener guide to all things Extra Revision in the show notes or on the Crooked dot com website. Catch the next episode on Friday, December twenty fourth for holiday mail bag for y'all, x Ray's got mail. That's right, as we said earlier, our new email address is x ray at cricket dot com. If you enjoy it today's nerd Out segment by Megan and want to share your own thing that you want to promote that you want to say, Hey people, go read this, go watch.
Speaker 1: This, go pick this up.
Speaker 2: Drop us an email with a short pitch about what you'd like to pitch on nerd out and we'll get back to you again. The email is x Ray at cricket dot com. That's x Ray at crooked dot com. Don't forget five star ratings only, or we will banish you to the dimension from which you came. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Salt Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Girard. Caroline Reslin and Carlton Gillespie are consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is by Sarah Gibblaska and the folks at Chapter four. Big thanks to Brian Basquez for our theme music. See you next time,