Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Hello. Okay, so we dropped two episodes this week, one more serious and one more fun and lighthearted. And on this choose your own adventure, you chose the fun and lighthearted ones. So let's get into it. Today's episode is going to hit you right in your pop culture loving heart. I promise it's a deep dive into reality TV, but not just the drama or the guilty pleasure of it. All the culture, the conversations, the connections that these shows inspire. Joining us are two women who have completely redefined the way we think about reality TV. Natasha Scott and Justin are the minds behind Two Black Girls, One Rose. If you're not already familiar with their podcast, let me catch you up. Natasha and Justine started out as fans of the Bachelor franchise. They were drawn in by Rachel Lindsay's groundbreaking season as the first black lead, But instead of just recapping the episodes like so many other shows did, they decided to get personal do something different. They brought their own lived experiences as black women into the conversation and they were offering a kind of commentary that was missing from the mainstream. People were obsessed, and over time their podcast has grown into something so much bigger. Yes, it's about dissecting reality TV, but it's also about unpacking race, relationships, gender, and society through the lens of pop culture. So whether they're calling out casting choices, breaking down nuanced portrayals of love, or fangirling over their favorite reality stars, Justine and Natasha bring so much humor and intelligence and really a much needed perspective to a genre that too often overlooks it. So today you're gonna hear their love for shows like Laguna Beach yep, Laguna. I promise they'll explain why, and The Bachelor and how these shows and their love of them has evolved into a full fledged community of listeners who tune in for these thoughtful conversations. We're going to talk about what reality shows get wrong and sometimes surprisingly what they get right. We're also going to dive into how these shows reflect who we are as a culture and why so many of us can't stop watching, and of course, the lessons they've learned from reality TV. There are lessons to be learned. They taught me on love, on friendship, and human nature. Natasha and Justine are sharp and funny, and by the end of this conversation you'll understand why their podcast has become a go to for so many people looking for more than just surface level takes on pop culture. So let's get into it. Natasha, Justine, it all started on a beach, Laguna Beach, to be exact. The two of you ran in similar social circles, but you didn't actually connect until you heard that the other had a DVD copy of Laguna Beach and Justine, I literally laughed out loud when I watched you in another interview, say, is this really what white people are doing?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 3: Because we went to a private school, right, small all girls private school, and so it was very segregated, so I had no idea what.
Speaker 2: The white girls at school were doing.
Speaker 3: But I was like, you guys are drinking at your parents' house.
Speaker 1: And Natasha, what was it for you? Why did you like Laguna?
Speaker 4: They just seemed to have this level of freedom. They were also teenagers but were doing like adult things. There never seemed to be adults around. It was like they were just raising each other, like the blind leading the blind among these teens and just living this life that I could never have imagined living because my was on my ass.
Speaker 2: So it just looked so fun.
Speaker 1: It looked so idyllic. So you started with your love for Laguna, but then it wasn't until The Bachelorette that you really like started your pod. It's two black girls, one Rose, and you were both invested in Rachel Lindsay's season, which is exciting for me to talk about because she's a friend of mine and she was the first black lead on the show, which was huge and also a lot of pressure on her. From what I understand from your past interviews, it kind of fueled your search for expanded content, and you were saying that the recap podcast that existed just missed the mark because they were missing the perspective of people of color entirely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really felt like they were just watching a different show than ours. I just feel like, you know, we're watching this black woman look for love. We've never seen this before. In the Bachelor's sphere. We're seeing more black men than ever as well. On Bachelor, they had a character character. They had a contest I can't remember his will he had never dated a black woman. And that was like a very quick convo that they had between Rachel and Will, and they kind of just like rushed over it. And then listening to recot podcasts, I wanted to hear how they were going to talk about this because me and Justine were up watching the show and like, just what the hell why would they cast this guy? Like why would they cast this guy for Rachel specifically? Like just a weird missed opportunity to have that conversation about him not really dating within his race, and so that like just little nuances like that were just getting swept I'm gonna say swept under the road. They just weren't even like seen by people recapping and watching the show.
Speaker 1: When I listened to your show, it strikes me as an opportunity for white people to contextualize reality TV in a different way. When did you guys realize that this could be more than just a podcast but a platform to challenge how people think about reality TV.
Speaker 3: Always made content for black women. It just happens to be that we made it around a show that has a mostly white audience. And we have a lot a lot of white listeners, majority of white listeners. But I think the biggest eye opening one for me was Matt James the season. I remember even a coworker of mine saying to me, I know what I'm watching is wrong, but I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Is wrong exactly like ooh, say more.
Speaker 3: On Matt James' season, they had him do things that were really really pretty offensive and pretty like stereotypical storytelling for a black male lens and he was the first black bachelor, and they had him meet his father, who he hadn't spoken to in years, on camera and talk about how he's been without him as a as a dad, and how that has made him feel. That is not a conversation, that's entertainment. That's a conversation to be had behind closed doors. When Matt first came to the Mansion, he said to the host at the time, Chris Harrison, He's not gonna pick who America wants him to pick. Everybody took that a different way, like the was so Ill explained that everybody took it differently and it turned off a lot of people from watching the show. And when it was all said and done, when Chris got fired and they had a manual octa what they're hosting. A lot of our listeners, I think wanted to know what was wrong with what they were watching.
Speaker 1: Did you explain it right away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we saw it right away. We spotted it right away.
Speaker 3: I think there's nuances right when you're a woman, right, there's like nuances that you're looking for when you're a black woman. There's nuances you're looking for when you're an Asian woman. There's nuances. And to us, it's just so glaring. So we pointed out everything.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna add.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Matt James' season was like a really tough season for us to recap because we really on our show want to have fun, like we're two best friends watching TV talking about it. Sure, real life things come that we provide commentary for, but we really are trying to like center joy and fun, and his season was it was just really frustrating watching how this black man's journey for love was going down, and so there was a lot of I also even demands from our audience to be like, can you please like break down what's going on? And for me, that was really to your question when it was in my face, like, oh, we're doing something bigger here, Like there's more of people are coming to us for almost like education in a way, which was not what we signed up to do.
Speaker 2: But now we're in it.
Speaker 4: Now we gotta somehow like battle with this and figure it out.
Speaker 1: Do these shows all make us feel like insiders, Like what does it say about community and gossip and the way that people are gathering in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think like Justina and I's friendship started around TV, right, having fun, sitting with a friend, keeking about something we're watching on TV. And I think what our community has really taught me is just like how important one how important community is, but like it doesn't take much to rally around something and find commonality with others.
Speaker 2: We have some.
Speaker 4: Listeners you know that we've met where they they either watch the show by themselves and they don't have anyone to talk to, or they're you know, in medical school and super isolated there, you know, so they find community in our little hub where they can find some like minded people that are also fanatics of whatever show we're watching. And that's been really really heartwarming for us. Like starting this community is you know, the basis of it was Justine and I and our community together and how we were about to how we were able to expand that to allow others in, particularly others who might not have but Justine right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say that I think women find community in a lot of different spaces, and I think reality TV is probably the most fun. Natasha says all the time that when you watch reality TV, you can put on the shoes of the person that you're watching and say, well, I would do this, well I would that, well I would do this, And I think with shows like Love Is Blind that are so well produced, it's really easy to say those things. And then there's other shows that we love that we don't cover, right, like Couple's Therapy on Showtime that has so much empathy for the people who they are filming and the stories they are telling. And with all of that, we can take that and make that kind of like gossipy reality TV guilty pleasure. We can make it more of a kind of deeper dive and discussion into what we're doing culturally, and as women, that's a really that's something we really value.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned editing. I think anybody who watches reality TV shows constantly hears the participants say they were edited a certain way, or it was editing, it was the creative editing. You guys, when you talk about things on your show, you don't believe that it's totally inauthentic. What percent is real and what pric do you think is created by these producers and then edited?
Speaker 4: I think it definitely depends on the show. Some shows there's way more producer intervention, way more producer creating stories. I think The Bachelor's famous for that to heavily produced show. But I think I mean the people are saying those things out of their mouth, right. I mean on The Bachelor, they do a little frank in editing as they say, where they'll pake piece of word from this conventional this word, and then they splice it together. But generally people are saying exactly what they're saying. People are showing up exactly as they're showing up. I think editing sometimes is when they're not including much nuance or context or balancing out people. You know, they're just going to show all her worst bits, and you know that's not fair. She has her side too. We're seeing that right now on Love is Blind. The current season with Hannah. She's getting crucified on the internet right now for being like a you know, a really mean person, but we're only seeing one side to her. But yeah, it's it's so easy to just say it's the editing. The editing made me look like this, and it's okay, yes, but did you not say that thing? Like that's still came out of your mouth? Right. So I don't know the percentage, but we treat the show as if it's real, you know, because it is.
Speaker 2: That we're seeing.
Speaker 4: We're reacting exactly to what we're seeing on screen. Maybe people are amplifying their behavior, maybe editing is amplifying situations, but for the most part, what you're seeing is people's behaviors as they are.
Speaker 1: My only pushback to that is I feel like social media added a whole nother element here, like people go and reality TV stars have gotten smarter because they have examples, like there's been now years of reality TV. So they go on these shows or even apply knowing their Instagram followers are going to go up. And I think there's this whole like money brand building play.
Speaker 3: I think in order for you to actually be successful post reality TV show, you still have to be authentic, interesting, not even likable. But authenticity is the key. So if you go on there and you're out there looking for I just want to be on television. We all know this happened last season on Love is Blind with Drama with Trevor with a couple of these contestants where they clearly just went on for television and had no backup plan for how they were going to explain they had a full girlfriend at home. Yeah, and that makes you unlikable and that will not get you a brand deal because you're not You're inauthentic, and so you can't actually sell anything. And so I think crucifixions at reunions has been the new tactic for a lot.
Speaker 2: Of these producers and it's working.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, Love is Blind has filmed a year ahead.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean crucifixions at reunions?
Speaker 3: Like on Love is Blind reunions, they definitely did this with Juram Sarah and last season where they all were just looking for television and they rip them apart at the reunion the hosts for doing that for coming on for television and not like authentically falling in love, just giving no authenticity at all during the season that was really it's just something they can't really work with.
Speaker 1: So you've mentioned Love is Blind a few times. Both of these I can tell you're probably watching right now. Also, I feel like we started with The Bachelor, there's married at First Sight Love is Blind. Like for every sort of love reality show, there's like four or five different spinoffs on random cable and streaming networks that I don't even know the title love is there still the same amount of intrigue, Like is there nuance in each show or do you think some of these just fall away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's definitely a nuance to each of them. So like Love is Blind, I mean season one was such a huge success for them that regardless, people are just going to tuning in. I think we're all still chasing the hive that season one, and over the course of the seven seasons they've had, I would say season four was very good, Season six is very good. Like they've had some great seasons, but I think everyone is still locked in. Also because when Love is Blind is on, it kind of just capitalizes social media conversation and you want to be a part of the conversation. It's like a severe sense of fomo. But then there's also like the ninety day fiances, Like that's a whole world, that's a whole different brand, right, that has a whole audience behind it, ninety fiances on season like twenty five or whatever it is. So there's like that messy good like dirty, guilty pleasure dating shows like that. And then you know you have like The Bachelor that's kind of just always been around. It's very predictable. It's like you know exactly what you're gonna get, and so there are little nuances to each of them. I think what's been really interesting is watching Love Island.
Speaker 2: Love Island.
Speaker 4: This past season of US. Love Island was I think the most successful season they had, and it did something very similar that Love is Blind does every season, which is capture the social media attention of everybody you want to be in the conversation.
Speaker 1: So I remember when I was growing up, I loved Survivor, and to this day, I think Jeff Probes is just such. He's like an incredible host. He's like so into the show. He's an icon truly, Like people have no idea how involved he is as a host. He helps write, he helps produce, like he really gives a shit, he really cares anyways. Jeff Probes aside. I remember there was a cultural conversation about how because they were kind of on the forefront of reality TV, and people were like, this show has gone too far, there's no decency for human life. And then here we are thirty something seasons later and Survivors basically white noise like it is on the in the background of these Yeah. Right, And so when I think about these shows now, like where you're like married at first like you just marry each other at the altar and all this stuff, like, do you guys think that any of these shows go too far?
Speaker 3: I'm casting now, I was going to say casting, but definitely with casting. I think like Married to First Sight, that one in.
Speaker 5: Particular has had some real duds on that show that has caused a lot of unsafe moments for women on the show.
Speaker 3: I remember Married a First Site season twelve, iconic season, but they had somebody who was like expecting a child with somebody else. He was emotionally manipulative, he was a narcissist. We've sat on our show that in order for you to get cast, we think that you should have references like a job. So they should be able to call your most recent exes and they should be able to speak highly of you, and if they don't, then you can't get on the show.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because you want a positive environment, But does it ruin the drama?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: If you especially if like a love is blind situation where you're not seeing the person and then maybe you see yours been you're like, oh, he's okay, I'll work with it. And then you see that your second choice and you're really attracted to him. That's still drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, that's still drama.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I've heard I don't know this to be true, so I want to be really thoughtful about saying that. But I have heard from two reality show producers of different shows that to get cast on Real Housewives, they have psychologists interview you and you have to be on the narcissism spectrum.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of suns. That makes all the suns.
Speaker 1: I guess it's like a one through six in psychology, and you're like somewhere on the spectrum. Yeah wow, Yeah, So I just I don't want to start sprinting rumors.
Speaker 2: That definitely trucks. Yeah, and Andy said it before he's.
Speaker 1: Like heyes, we know, yeah, okay, that makes me feel better about sharing what I heard. You know, I'm a journalist, so I can't be to gossip aspects of okay. In terms of these shows that center around love, what couples make it and what don't, are there any through lines or similarities between the ones that make it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, couples who kind of like Tristan Ryan, I guess they had the privilege of happening before a world of social media, so that helped a lot. I think social media, the gossip sites, the tmzs can definitely demolish a lot of these relationships. A lot of these shows are they're they're pressure cookers, right, you gotta get married in like three weeks or run over the whole. I think the couples that keep that pressure, keep that deadline in their head. They know they're in a show, you know, they know that that's like the end goal. But they also still have some grounding in real life, which is I'm trying. It's hard to find the through line, but what this season of love is mind. For instance, there's a couple Tailor and Garrett we just finished another recording, both agreeing that They're one of the most emotionally intelligent couples we've seen in a long time on the shows. Wow, they were so yeah, they were very aware that this whole process and this whole thing is like bullshit. Let's like forget about this for a little bit. Let's just lock in and just make sure that this makes sense for us and check in every single step of the way. I think couples where you kind of see some of that little light bulb go off in their conversations with each other, or there's an acknowledgement of this being fake. This whole environment is not real. We are real people.
Speaker 2: Let's lock in.
Speaker 4: I think that's where you kind of see maybe a pattern of success among those couples. I will say too, those couples keep it the same way on social media.
Speaker 1: I think so too right, you.
Speaker 3: Won't see every element of them as a couple. Like even Lauren and Cameron. We've been falling in love with Lauren Cameron. Oh my god, I love Lauren cam for how many years? And they just now, like this week, spoke about their fertility journey. That was something that was off limits for them, that nobody was going to talk about because it was private and couples who can kind of take parts of their identity.
Speaker 1: And do that. So there was a moment in time I used to love The Bachelor. Then there was a moment in time where I paused on it because I was like, Okay, this is so bad for women, and I don't want to be purporting this. And then I was like, Danielle, get off your high hearse, and I kind of came back. I came back during Rachel's season because I cared like they made me care again, you know. Yeah, and then I was I just got bored and I was out for a while. Are there any shows that you've ever kind of boycotted because you thought, Okay, this isn't good for any X Y or Z part of me.
Speaker 4: A show that I'm contemplating right now about the boycott is Married at First Sight. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the same thing.
Speaker 4: And when you when you asked earlier, like, is there any show that takes it too far? That was the first show that came to my head. And I've been watching that show for a very long time.
Speaker 2: You know, it's called.
Speaker 4: Meredith First Sight. They're very obviously taking the piss out of the institution. Of marriage, so I already know what I'm signing up for. I'm there, let's do it. But just so, the past maybe five or six seasons, it's been really hard to watch the treatment of the women, the lack of safety for the women, and I just I don't know if I can do it anymore. I tried to tune in for this upcoming season Chicago, and as I'm sitting there, I'm just like, it's in my spirit. I just don't know if I want to do it. I think I've found the show that I feel like it's taking it too far and I don't want to support anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same for the exact same reason as Natasha. And it's on Lifetime, right Mardi First Sight, Yeah, which is a channel that's like geared towards women, but it's geared to a very specific woman. And so every commercial break there's at least three weight loss commercials, and that for me, as a recovering, eating disordered riddled person, you know, typical millennial, right, I have a really hard time watching it. I get really by the end of the show, I'm pretty triggered.
Speaker 1: I feel triggered by those kinds of commercials too. And a little angry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very angry about where we've gotten how.
Speaker 2: We've got here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. How do you feel about the word guilty pleasure? Because I think it's thrown around a lot with reality TV.
Speaker 4: I think of reality TV as such a significant part of pop culture. There's still not that many shows like The Bachelor that I've been on television for over twenty years, that has been creating conversation for over twenty years, right, that has people locked in every Monday eight for the past twenty years. That's something that's a significant part of the fabric of American contemporary pop culture. Right, So we can call it whatever we want. I've gotten past the feelings of feeling guilty even watching these shows, because that's justin and I talk about a lot men watch sports, nobody.
Speaker 2: Says anything to them.
Speaker 4: So I'm not gonna feel guilty for watching my trash TV or you know, quote unquote whatever people want to call it, particularly when a lot of these shows create such interesting conversation and dialogue that have us connecting with each other in a very real way, which to me is a little bit more again not to men and women, but in a more real way, more connected way than men talking about this quarterback.
Speaker 2: And what he did in this game.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. Yeah, you're like dissecting human nature exactly. Yeah. Yeah, because of the water cooler aspect of it. Do you ever feel pressure? Like with Housewives, I keep up, but with vander pump Rules, I'm so far behind. I'm like, there's I'm just gonna end it because there's just no way I can catch us here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that way about Bravo.
Speaker 3: I know Natasha watches more of like other Bravo shows like The Blow Deck and Summer House. I was behind on Summer House. I had to catch up this summer like.
Speaker 2: It was a lot.
Speaker 3: But I think for Housewives fans particularly, we are really in the Housewives world. We all fancy ourselves experts of Housewives.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, right yeah, it's like really even a season.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, So we're all so committed to us, so it's kind of hard to keep up with more than one.
Speaker 1: Housewives is so tough for me because I absolutely love it. I watch every single season. I just watched the franchises, all the franchises, I think, Okay, the only thing I missed was they did a few seasons of Dallas and I didn't watch that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was bad.
Speaker 1: But I was reading that thirty three percent of TV viewers have joined in on a reality TV show because they felt left out when their friends were discussing it, which is a really high percentage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think too. I My fiance and I the other night, we're watching Boyme's World.
Speaker 3: And just like reminiscing on Friday night when you got home to watch the New Boy Means World, that's not a thing anymore unless social media is on fire the way that it can be with some of these reality shows, like the fact that Love Island was on an app and also premiered at nine o'clock at night, and you know est and everybody was in their group chat at nine oh one clicking play at the same time. Was I think a cultural phenomenon because we don't have those premiere times anymore. You have the freedom to watch it whenever you want.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right. When things like that take over, it's so you have to wonder why. You have to at least ask why, because I mean, yes, yes, Okay. So your podcast tagline is uncovering what we can learn about modern dating and relationships from popular television does that still ring true to you? Because I think you guys have expanded beyond that, but relationships are at the core of it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My, I guess my whole m O going in every episode is you know, we're all just not not just me and just see in our audience. We're all spending hours watching these shows, right, We're spending hours of our time consuming the show. We're on social media in the conversation, like, we're dedicating so much of our lives to these shows. Yeah, I want to see if this show can teach us anything, like I want to. I want to make some I want to bring some productivity to it, like I have to if I'm putting in this much time like I want to see. So I think, yeah, no matter. I mean me and Justine we both studied media and our undergrad like we love to do this for fun, like from an academic level, just like dissecting anything, and so for us, like we find almost the challenge of watching something deemed doom right doom and seeing what the hell we can pick up from this and what this is going to teach us, What can we what can we take into our real lives with this? So I see it as like a really fun challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you done that? Have you picked up anything from your real lives from watching and dissecting these shows? Have you implemented anything or changed any behaviors?
Speaker 4: So the first thing that comes to mind for me is last season of Golden Bachelor, there was really interesting conversations around older women feeling invisible. Joan, who's our current Golden Bachelorette, she was the woman that said as she left, and she said, I feel, you know, women my age were not really seen.
Speaker 2: We're invisible.
Speaker 4: And that hit me in a way because I had never really thought about the experience of my mom. Right, my mom, she's mother of three, she's been an empty nester for a while. Now, we flew the coop, we're living our lives, and we just kind of take for granted she's there because she's always there, right, But I remember asking her, I was like, did you hear that last night? Did you like, does that resonate with you? And it really opened up a really interesting dialogue between the two of us of her experience as my mother and as a woman of a certain age in society now where her kids are gone and now she's overlooked. So that just kind of made me that that was something that really sparked me to think differently.
Speaker 1: I've sort of learned about friendship a little bit from reality TV.
Speaker 2: Oh a Housewives watcher? That makes sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what I watch housewives.
Speaker 3: There's some housewives that I watch, like Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, where I feel like I'm watching aliens. I'm watching people on Mars, right, I don't know anybody like these people. And then there's housewives like the Real Housewives of Potomac, where I feel like I'm watching my mother and her friends close of them, like it's it's so similar. I would watch them when I was homesick when I first moved out of my parents' house.
Speaker 2: That's funny, and so.
Speaker 3: I think it's true to life for friendship for an regional sense, wherever you live closest to it probably.
Speaker 1: Feels I see what you're saying. I like that. I haven't thought about it that way.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was actually thinking when I first started watching The Bachelor, the girls were so brutal to each other, and as the seasons have gone on, I've seen women make a real effort to like make the experience about friendship and this guy, and I think it kind of shows. I've always thought pop culture holds a mairrit up to like where we are and where we're going. Yeah, that to me feels like a positive cultural change.
Speaker 4: And people love I think, particularly in our audience. You know, we really loved Golden Bachelor because of the sisterhood. It was less about him, it was more watching these girls, these older women like form friendship.
Speaker 2: Even though it's not filled with drama, we still like to watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a hundred, that's interesting. Yeah. The one thing with the marriage shows I struggle with still is that, like there's this big prize, Like the idea of winning is winning the ring, winning the marriage, And I really love marriage, but there's something about the the idea of winning it that I struggle with. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember watching Love Is Blind last season the dress fittings versus the tux fittings, and the difference in how the men were speaking to each other at the tux fittings and the women were all sobbing with incredible emotion at these tryons. And we said on our show last season that it's still because being a single woman out in the world is still in some senses dangerous. And so these mothers are so happy that they have someone, that their daughter has a partner to lean on, that their daughter has a partner to buy a house with, that your daughter has a partner to just do things with and protect you, not just physically, but in just certain sectors of American culture, it's still just dangerous to be a single woman. And for the men, they're like, man, you're a lockdown for life.
Speaker 1: It's not just the scene. I think that's brilliant. I've never thought about it that way. I thought about marriage in terms of the patriarchy, because, like you know, not to throw out all these buzzwords, but we live in the patriarchal system, and so to me, when you're a woman getting married, there is a proximity to power there because if.
Speaker 4: You're wearing a masks.
Speaker 1: But I've never thought about the safety aspect that that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: They feel like, oh, my daughter has a protector.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, Well, you guys have started breaking down fictional shows too. I'm coming on for a sex in the City episode, which I'm very excited about. You did Bridgerton, which was amazing. Are there any shows that you want to see more of in the future, or even shows that you guys talk about, like Behind Closed Doors, that you consider discussing on your show but haven't quite tackled yet.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we'll ever talk about it on our show. It's just so serious and I don't know how we can make it fun. But scenes of a marriage, I don't know if you've ever.
Speaker 1: Seen that show.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 1: Natashas.
Speaker 4: That is one of my favorite genres, is the demise of a marriage. Watching that is like one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: This is my takeaway from this interview. Okay, I do some rapid fire. Are you down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it. Okay.
Speaker 1: The most underrated reality TV show everyone should go watch today.
Speaker 2: A couple of Therapy. Yeah, couple they Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I've seen a few episodes and now your guys are making me feel like I need to.
Speaker 4: One of the best shows on televi television. And I say that so proudly and confidently. It needs to be watched.
Speaker 1: Which reality show do you relate to the most?
Speaker 2: Oh duh, Potomac.
Speaker 4: Boom there. Yeah, I feel like watching I definitely don't relate to this the most right now in my life, But watching the deck I was. I was a traveler when I was younger. I did the backpacking like it just kind of feeds that little nostalgic little egg inside of me. That's like if I wasn't married and living in the Burbs right now, just like traveling the world, so that one I hold on too, because it just keeps me connected to myself.
Speaker 1: We don't want to break down of a marriage in real life.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, we don't want that. We don't want that.
Speaker 1: What's something every woman should try once?
Speaker 2: Solo vacation yep, that was mine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, beach or adventure.
Speaker 4: I think you start with a beach just it's less intimidating than a more adventurous when we got to talk to people and navigate a country or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I think just start with the beach.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say too if I can add or be different from Natasha's. I wedding dress shopped by myself, highly recommend, even just shopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. It was so good, so even.
Speaker 1: Aunts, no nobody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, because you picked the man by yourself, you could do it. You should have confidence you can picture your dress by yourself.
Speaker 1: Love that so much. Okay, what's a book that you've read that that has changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 3: Thick by Tressie McMillan Cottam is my one of my all time favorites. She's a sociologist and she has a PhD. She's a teacher in North Carolina, and she is my holy girl.
Speaker 2: Damn, I'm pressure. I've been reading Is it your Rick Ruben book? Was that a good one? I never finished it.
Speaker 4: I'm notorious for buying books and not finishing them, or reading three books at one time and never finishing any of them.
Speaker 2: I'm like one of those.
Speaker 4: But the Rick Ruben book was really interesting and got me really thinking about myself as a creator, as an artist. I've been leaning more into that side of myself since I quit my day job and been doing the podcast full time. And so for any aspiring creators or people just wanting to take that leap or afraid of thinking of themselves as a creative, I think that one was a good one.
Speaker 1: Well said, and congrats on the leap by it. You did that, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we both did.
Speaker 1: I do card game. Okay, let's should we do this. We'll do the same question. You let me know when to stop.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: Ooh, this is a good one. Okay, do you fall in love easily? What is your love language?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll start. I I don't think I fall in love easily. I met my husband at twenty nine one undone. He was my first, like real relationship. I had dated and things along the way, but I loved myself most and I wasn't willing to give up on that to settle for any old body. I fell in love really easily with him, though it moved really quickly, so once I knew it was just okay, I'm in. And my love language is quality time, and which is interesting because I'm an introvert. I'm the first to be like, all right, get out the house.
Speaker 1: I need my time.
Speaker 2: Like, but we do date night every week. If we don't go well, we're in.
Speaker 4: The house, very intentional spending time together because that's really important to me.
Speaker 2: It's just getting that good old quality. We're up each other's but look at each other's as like you know, that time.
Speaker 1: Together, Natasha. Hopefully when I get married one day, I'm gonna call you for advice.
Speaker 2: I hope I have some wisdom, though, kid, it.
Speaker 1: You think I'm saying it as a joke.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Okay, Justinea, how about you?
Speaker 3: I would say I do fall in love easily. I try to put up a real ego. I don't know if it has anything to I love to just blame my scorpio moon.
Speaker 2: On everything everything I love doing. It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: And then I'm a aquarious rising as well, so I fall hard. I also have a disdain very hard. I can like hate somebody really hard to so it goes both ways.
Speaker 4: And I am.
Speaker 3: My number one love language is gift giving. I already have my like spreadsheets going of what I'm gonna get people. Natasha just bought a new house. I already have on my list. I'm gonna get it get her.
Speaker 2: It's been great being friends with just some great gifts over the years. I will say, I love that.
Speaker 1: Does that mean that you like to give to get gifts too? Because sometimes our love language is like what we give what we all want to get?
Speaker 2: Well we want to get?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: And actually my fiance and I he doesn't come from like a gift giving really like family or anything.
Speaker 2: So I put together a spreadsheet for him.
Speaker 4: Of all the stuff that I want to want categorize, close, make up this that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not mad.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I like a woman who knows what she wants.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, you guys are so much fun. I so appreciate your time. I really loved this. Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us. Really was looking forward to this at all. Lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week.