Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Coarclay, and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: On this Friday after Thanksgiving, Jeff Chang joins us. He's a president of vest Financial. You know, it's great, Jeff to have you here. I'm looking at the S and P five hundred year to date up fifteen percent. I've got the NASHTAC up twenty percent. Boy, that is solid performance. I don't care where you are, who you are, What do you do for twenty twenty six?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, great to be here.
Speaker 5: You know, I still think the biggest driver of growth is going to be AI. It's also what's interesting now, it's also going to be the greatest source of volatility. I mean, you can even see today with the CMB and data centers like this is really going to be what's going to be driving the market overall into the next year. I think also, you know, on a larger basis, you're kind of weighing between kind of the macro factors, cooling, inflation AI, but also you know, earnings catching up to valuations what we've seen today, you know, with multiples being on the higher end of the spectrum.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this AI trade, I mean it's definitely changing.
Speaker 7: There's rotation involved, right, I mean, do you still stick with the nvideos or do you start looking at some of the other companies like the alphabets now that are very involved with our TPUs.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think there's definitely growing competition, but I think when you look at Nvidia, it's still the bell weather for AI hardware. You know, from there because when you look at AI and the foundational parts of it, you're looking at you know, compute, data centers, networking and cloud and cooling. Isn't that as well? But I think when you look at Nvidia, it's sits very kind of right in the center as far as foundational parts of a given that you know, one thing is that they've also if you look at the numbers and four guidance has been pretty strong. I do think where you start to see a little bit of volatility is the idea that competition is coming in. And so if you start to look at you know, the likes of Microsoft really planting the flag and cloud, and then like you said, Google and Alphabet coming in into the AI chip space as well, So we can't see some volatility there, but mostly the dominance of Nvidia we'll see is going to be pretty strong into twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Fanny, I think I'm oh for a lifetime trying to call the top of a bubble.
Speaker 3: You know, I just never.
Speaker 6: Possibly won't even try doing that both.
Speaker 2: I was selling stock Boy cranking at IPO's March of two thousand with a vengeance and no idea. Yeah, like five minutes later it was over. So how do you and how do investors in general? Jeff do you think? How do you think about a bubble? And are we in a bubble? Are we at the top of the bubble? How do you think about that?
Speaker 5: I don't think as far as like you've probably seen recently in the news of soft Bank and the like Superior Teal selling their positions in Nvidia, I actually don't think that's an indication of people getting out due to a bubble. I think, sure, are the are the AI stocks in hyper skillers expensive? Yeah? I could you can make an argument for that, But when you're thinking about AI and the idea that it might be a bubble. This is very different than something like you know, if you were to look at crypto, I would say that this is a structural shift. Now, selectivity matters where you're actually going to be in AI. But I think what we're seeing is a generational shift as far as you know, because AI is going to diffuse into mainstream as far as anywhere from logistics to enterprise software, you know, healthcare, defense is.
Speaker 4: Going to go everywhere there.
Speaker 5: I think where you're seeing a lot of people misunderstanding is and when we've seen this story play out before, is the idea that, okay, we've seen a huge amount of investment into AI, uh you know, and you know, hundreds of bill dollars, where as in the actual earnings you're talking to twenty you know, twenty five thirty billion in actual earnings. But this is where you start to if you pull back the curtain a little bit. Keep in mind your earnings is based off of accounting depreciation, which tends to front load your expenses, and it doesn't account for the earnings potential over the long term at least seen this play out before. If you look at going back, like fiber optics, there are billions of dollars on front end investment, but we hadn't seen the trillions of dollars of earnings potential that came out in many years afterwards. So you know, like they always say, you know, history doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme. I think what you're seeing here is kind of the fiber optic Internet type situation. We're really fundamentally changing, you know, how we do business going forward.
Speaker 7: So you say, the foundation of long term AI is sound, but where do the revenues come from? And what are you projecting out in terms of revenue for these companies that are spending a fortune on AI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it like they said, like selectivity matters. So if you're talking about you know, the Microsoft metals, Metas, the Googles, and the videos of the world, those they are going to touch every part of AI, whether or not, whether or not the earnings are going to be generated from industrials, whether you know, industrial animation, whether it's going to be generated from healthcare, they're going to be at the center. Given that the core foundation being cloud, compute, data.
Speaker 4: Centers, and networking.
Speaker 5: So that's really where if you're looking as a long term investor, who are where the earnings are more sustainably and more higher probability of actually realization is.
Speaker 4: Being at kind of that center.
Speaker 5: I think where you start to get a little bit dicey, is you know, trading on the hype, going for these types of moonshot type trades where you're looking at small cap stocks and maybe in small robotics or so on and so forth. That's where you start to get a little bit of dicey as far as will we see that earnings realization to justify the valuations.
Speaker 2: You know, Vonnie, I remember the beginning of this whole AI discussion maybe three years ago. Gene Monster from deep Water Asset Management, to me is one of the best technology analysts on Wall Street. He said, Hey, think about a continuum of what's important. Let's put electricity like from zero to one hundred. Electricity he puts it ninety five. The Internet he puts at seventy AI he put it like ninety right there. I mean that, So every time I think about, jeez, maybe we're kind of in a ball.
Speaker 3: I know. He was so right. So, Jeff, where do we go from here? What's the next way to play it.
Speaker 2: If I've played out my Nvidia trade, maybe I've played out my Microsoft Microsoft trade on AI. What's the next leg do you think for this whole investment thesis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is very similar to let's say, in nineteen ninety nine and two thousand in the tech boom, that a lot of these pumply traded companies people were taking kind of bets here and there. I actually believe if you then really kind of fast forward the tape, you'll notice that the real winners, the companies that really want to kind of the Internet boom. The facebooks of the world, the Netflixes of the world, the Airbnb's of the world, they weren't around. They were in startup mode. So I think a lot of folks that are trying to play the AI trade, a lot of the facebooks in AI of tomorrow are going to be in venture They're going to be in early stage or middle stage startups that are really being able to innovate, move fast, kind of break things kind of mentality. I think, like I said, the next wave, it's not publicly traded, especially in the AI space. I think, like I said, the foundational parts, like you know, the hyperscalers and the videos of the world are publicly traded, but I think a lot of the next wave of software and usage cases across all industries are actually in private markets right now.
Speaker 7: All right, well, Jeff, we have to leave it there, but thank you so much for joining us today. And I know you're in Las Vegas, so if you're putting anything putting on black today that is best Financial President and co founder.
Speaker 3: Jeff, stay with us. We're from Bloomberg Intelligence coming.
Speaker 8: Up there for this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 7: So let's bring in our next guest to talk a little shopping. We have Julie Bornstein. She is the CEO of Daydream, which is an AI agent for fashion retail in particular.
Speaker 6: Julie, thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 7: First, just explain a little bit what a fashion agent for retail can do.
Speaker 6: For me when I go online.
Speaker 9: Yes, well, ultimately the goal is to be a personal stylist in your pocket.
Speaker 10: Today. What we do is we allow you to let.
Speaker 9: Us know what you're looking for using whatever you want to. Say, you have a Christmas party with your office in a bar in New York City, and we can help you find what you're looking for. We make it easier to shop, and we also allow you to post a picture and then we can help you find something that looks like that.
Speaker 3: So I don't know where to go here, Julie.
Speaker 2: But of shoppers say they're using AI tools for holiday shopping. That's according to a horse pull for MasterCard.
Speaker 3: Are retailers are they ready for that? They are they trying to take advantage of that? How are they performing here?
Speaker 9: It's early days for the retailers, but they are starting to learn how to both appear through some of these different chat surfaces and they are also trying to figure out how to use AI to make the customer experience better on their sites. Some of them are doing interesting things get up, H and M. They're also participating with us Daydreams. So because we're sort of the first AI shopping platform, they can partner with us and their show up as customers are explaining what it is that they're looking for in a whole new way. Julie.
Speaker 7: We always hear when it comes to AI that is all about the prompt, right, So what are customers doing and how should we prompt better?
Speaker 10: It's a great question.
Speaker 9: I mean we see prompts that are everything from I'm going to a wedding and I want to wear a pink dress, but all look like a cupcake too. I'm going to a wedding and I want to wear a revenge dress in the selt burn. So we have lots of different kinds.
Speaker 6: I want to see what the hallucinations are for those of users.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly what the cupcake dress looks like.
Speaker 9: People are very creative and the truth is that every consumers are just learning how to prompt, and so part of what we do is also give them ideas so that if they're starting to look, and then once they get used to it, people will write very long things with very descriptive details of what they're looking for.
Speaker 2: I've seen some technology use some apps on the iPhone, take a screenshot of something and then it brings you right into a shopping environment.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about where that is right now, where that's going.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's going to just get better and better.
Speaker 9: I think the idea of being able to screenshot something on the new iOS allows you to instantly you don't even have to open an app bring up results from any of the apps that you have already downloaded. So if you have Daydream downloaded on your phone and you screenshot anything from Instagram or as you're walking around and you see someone wearing something you like, you have the ability instantly to pull up the results that are closest to that product, and if that product still exists, you can get that exact product.
Speaker 10: So it's pretty cool and it's a pretty quick way.
Speaker 9: And what we're seeing is younger generation gen Z is very higher use case for that. They're just used to being able to snap anything and then be able to find what they're looking for.
Speaker 7: So if I screenshot something, it sends a whole load of information into the background of my phone.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 7: That sounds a little dangerous to me. It means I should probably stop screenshotting things.
Speaker 9: No, it's really if you choose to then use the search mechanism for it. So in general, screenshots are not you know, nothing's happening with them until you decide to do something with that screenshot. So you know, if you're looking for a product, it's pretty safe.
Speaker 2: So all right, how about this warm but not bulky coat under three hundred dollars. Where is the AI thingamajig going to take me?
Speaker 9: Well, on daydream, it's going to take you to a set of results that match that kind of query, and then we'll see lots of results from around the web and we will once you find what you're looking for, you link out to the brand or the retailer that sells that product. So similar to the way Google works, we're basically sort of a search and discovery platform that then helps you find the retailer to buy from.
Speaker 2: All right, well, in the world of search, it's search optimization type thing. Is that is there a similar type thing here in the world of AI.
Speaker 9: So it can depend on what the business model is. In our case, we are totally focused on finding you the best product for you that matches both the query and your personal preferences as we learn about you, and so it's not an issue of whatever you know, whoever pays the most gets the way to show you what their product is. But in some cases, you know, there's an ad base model.
Speaker 10: Ours is not.
Speaker 7: Julie Open ai on Amazon both made headlines this week with shopping launches. How are their products different to yours? Are they compatible to use together or how are you dealing with that competition.
Speaker 10: We're really excited about it.
Speaker 9: I think in general shopping, you know, this is the first season where AI is really going to improve the shopping experience, and it's only going to get better. I think the fact that they're both doing this is very validating to us. They're separate, but ours is totally focused on fashion, and so if you go to either of those platforms, you'll find that you were kind of generally across all categories, but a little bit less focused on a single category. And so shopping and fashion is so nuanced that, you know, daydream is better for that.
Speaker 2: So, Julie, what are your clients telling you here about this holiday shopping season. What's the level of optimism because there are a lot of economic cross currents out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that really are I think that this year is going to be bigger than last year, but probably not by a huge amount. What we're seeing is that there's a lot of excitement for all of the sales that are going on this week for Cyber Week, and so what we have is a daydream broadcast on It's a broadcast channel on Instagram where you can actually see all the brands and all of the offers that they're giving you. What we know is that a lot of people are saving the things that they want to buy and coming back today to go see if they're on sale.
Speaker 7: You have a lot of experience raising money and bringing companies to market and so on. You sold your previous company to Pinterest actually, and you've been on the boards of you know, Sweet Green, Redfin Weight Watchers, so much experience. What is the environment like now for consumer companies and raising money.
Speaker 10: It's interesting.
Speaker 9: It's a very strange environment because the role of AI has kind of thrown everything off, and so I think every everybody who has an interesting angle with AI is definitely able to get conversations going. I think that if you're not doing something with AI right now, it needs to be a very unique proposition. It is a very AI focused fundraising environment. Doesn't mean that there aren't other ideas that are great and out there, but certainly the fact is that AI can help pretty much every aspect of building a business right now, and so you want to be able to show how you have an advantage leveraging AI that other people don't have, so you have to figure out what your moat is.
Speaker 7: Julie is partially the reason it's such an AI type of fundraising environment because all these dollar donors are invested in AI themselves.
Speaker 9: No, I think it's more because everyone believes it's going to shape the future, and it's still early, so it's hard to know exactly how. But if you're not actually taking advantage of it, it seems like a really missed opportunity because it will change to the way everyone does work, from the way employees work, to the way products are made, to the way supply chains run, to the way consumers experience a HI.
Speaker 2: So what's the next step here for AI? Do you think, Julie, is there another natural progression?
Speaker 9: I think that there will be a lot of evolutions in the models. I also think we'll start to see over the next year or two a lot more consumer experience is changing. So we haven't seen a lot of that yet other than going directly to some of these new chatbots.
Speaker 10: But if you think about.
Speaker 9: All the things you do in your day to day life, things will get a little bit smoother and smarter. As a result of AI, and there will be new businesses that come along, like Daydream that just make shopping, for example, easier, smoother, and more personal.
Speaker 2: All right, great stuff, Thank you so much. We really appreciate Julie Bornstein. She's the founder and CEO at Daydream.
Speaker 3: And stay with us. More from Bloomberg Intelligence coming up after this.
Speaker 1: To the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube Now.
Speaker 2: For more on the state of the consumer on this Black Friday, is Andrea Barnardo, a seasoned business leader and board director in consumer brands and retail Andrew, thanks so much for joining us here. What's the mood of retailers here going into this holiday shopping season? There certainly are a lot of economic crosswinds out there.
Speaker 11: The retailer is actually quite optimistic, especially compared to where they were last year. At the beginning of this year, we thought tariffs and tax cuts would drive consumer behavior, and while tariffs still remain a big concern, consumers are also absorbing something much more subtle. The ripple effects of a shutdown, fewer government services, a cold housing market, and large company layoffs. So frankly, the eccount of feels contradictory. But spending is holding, as we've just seen in Q the Q three earnings reports, they are holding. Households are more cautious, but customers are still spending in a really selective way.
Speaker 6: What are they buying.
Speaker 7: Andrea Deloyde is seeing a lower average spend for the Black Friday Cyber Monday. But you know, these statistics sometimes can be misleading in the sense that people will continue to spend or they've already started spending.
Speaker 11: That's such a great question because when we talk about the contradiction of seeing spending the customers being more selective, I like to define it as the customer isn't stepping back, they're really reprioritizing and they're doing a purposeful reallocation. So when you think about what they're spending on, they're kind of three big shifts that are happening. One, customers are moving towards intelligent value. They're looking for things that have function, meaning utility, longevity, so they can feel like they're really getting a return on their investment.
Speaker 4: Two their consolidating purchases.
Speaker 11: And so one of the interesting things we've seen is in some of these QB earnings reports.
Speaker 4: Is where some of the values are going down.
Speaker 11: We are seeing higher ticket prices and higher order values on top of lower order numbers. And so this means customers are consolidating purchases, they're sticking with fewer retailers, They're leaning heavily into loyalty programs and also convenience. And then finally, customers are shopping to reduce stress.
Speaker 4: They're choosing products.
Speaker 11: And services that save time, that simplify life and add comfort.
Speaker 3: How about availability inventory?
Speaker 2: If I'm going to go out and get my kid the Gi Joe with the Kung Fu grip, is it going to be in the stores?
Speaker 4: It will be.
Speaker 11: That's one of the really interesting things that happened this year with tariffs, a lot of companies pulled.
Speaker 4: Their inventory forward.
Speaker 11: So whether you were planning on a shorter cycle as usual, they actually said, let's pull inventory for the next year so we can get goods into stores and online. So yes, hopefully your kid's toy will be their in store, and if not, I can tell you. With the improvement in AI and technology, they are surely going to offer you something that they think is just as compatible.
Speaker 7: I was speaking to the CEO of a toy company just on Wednesday, I guess, and he was saying that a toy that was maybe twenty dollars before the pandemic is now forty dollars for various reasons. So there was a pandemic right the supply chain snawfoods, and then inflation thanks to that, and then inflation from you know, fiscal spending and so on, and now we're right up to almost double what it was before.
Speaker 6: Are we seeing that? Are we seeing that kind of inflation across the board?
Speaker 11: Yes, we are, and it's happening in more categories than other. So you're mentioning toys, disposables, groceries. We are seeing that inflation across the board. And to your point, it has to do with the general inflation. It has to do with terraiffs because while companies have absorbed some of the tariff costs, many of them have actually passed.
Speaker 4: It right on to consumers.
Speaker 11: And so this is why consumers are being much more selective about where they purchase, and related to that, to trade down or explore alternative options. If it's a commodity item, they might actually say, let me go explore this other brand that might be a little bit cheaper, or buy the generic version of that to help capture some of that value back.
Speaker 2: What's promotional environment out there these days? Andrea, Am I going to get deals when I go to the store, assuming I actually do go shopping.
Speaker 11: You won't get deals. They will be very selective deals. So as retailers and businesses are looking at their inventory, they want to be much more precise about what they're promoting. So they're going to be focused on where do they have a lot of inventory, what can they replace fast, what's going discontinued, where.
Speaker 4: Are you going to get that value?
Speaker 11: And even in some areas, they are going to price promote on items where they know you will add on. So you won't find full deals across the board. You won't see fifty percent off side wide as much as you used to, But what you will see is on specific categories they're certainly discounting, but at the same time they will bemting those discounts because they know this is the holiday season, they know customers are focused on value, so they're still going to put those select deals right in front of you, So it feels like the same velocity as it did in previous years.
Speaker 7: What's popular when it comes to fashion and retail and department store retail in that sense. Coles for example, reporting the other day and their strategy under the previous CEO who was ousted was to focus on fragrances and petits, and that strategy seems to be working even for the incoming CEO who's now been made permanent. But it struck me as odd that suddenly fragrances are very popular.
Speaker 11: They are, and fragrances have to do with that longevity and value. Customers want something that they know they can use over time, and so what you'll see is right now, you'll see purchases in what I call functional tech. So if you need a new laptop, if you need a TV, things that you need that will have a long term value to you, also fragrances and well, and it's something where you feel like you'll get your return, it will last over a period of time as well as you will feel good about yourself. And then finally, there are other areas in beauty and in luxury, and many of these retailers, especially those that have multi brand portfolios. We have seen their luxury brands, whether it's home furnishings or apparel, actually outperform. And that still goes to the value, which you don't often see value in luxury. But what happens is customers think, Okay, at least if nothing else, I have longevity and I have resale value.
Speaker 2: Hey, Andrew, you say that share of wallet is the real battle this season, not just traffic.
Speaker 11: What do you mean by that, Well, what we're seeing is that with these average order values going up, what customers want is they want to go to a one stop shop. And so where retailers are competing is they're adding services, they're adding shipping, they're making sure they're inventory and logistics are there.
Speaker 4: So that you can add more to your purchase in one stop.
Speaker 11: One of the big opportunities that I'm seeing is bundling. We've often heard about bundling when it comes to travel and dieting, but when it comes to bundling, if you were able to to talk about a gift set, or add the pants with the shirt, or combine a whole set of items, customers always see that as an opportunity. And so you see that retailers are using that to increase their ticket values right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love all the words associated with a bundling and a whole, yeah and unlox my whole today. I love getting holes, but I never I never seem to feel to afford them. Andrea, thank you so much for joining us today. A fun conversation there, and a serious conversation too with Andrea Vornado, much appreciated consumer brands and retail experts.
Speaker 3: Stay with us or from Bloomberg Intelligence coming.
Speaker 1: Up there for this, you're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Cocklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 7: Let's talk something that maybe isn't going to be so calm though in the coming weeks, tariffs taking their toll on consumers and companies alike. Our next guest says tariffs are now one of the biggest variables in retail margins. Joining us to discuss as Ryan Peterson, founder and CEO of flex Sport, a leader in global supply chain technology. Ryan, thank you so much for joining I would have thought that things would have calmed down a little bit. We have at least some kind of certainty, albeit we're waiting for a Scolds decision, but we have some kind of certainty over tariffs at the moment.
Speaker 6: What are supply chains like? Is there's still chaos out there or are we.
Speaker 7: Getting to some kind of ability to see the future.
Speaker 8: Somewhere in between.
Speaker 12: I think people are getting more used to the fact that you have to operate and a lot of uncertainty, and brands are figuring out how to be agile about it and a lot of different strategies where.
Speaker 8: They can do that.
Speaker 12: But there's still a lot of you mentioned scotis that that big core case is coming. People are hoping and praying for a refund and it's actually you know, there's a lot of variables here. You have to figure out how much of the duties, how much of the tariffs do you want to pass through to your customer. Goldman Sachs reporting about thirty seven percent of the duties are getting passed through, with nine percent getting forced on the supplier, and the balance is just hitting earnings for these companies. So there's that and then even just calculating the duties is harder than ever before the nature of the stacking tariffs, where there's all these different tariffs, they just.
Speaker 8: Keep getting layered on each other.
Speaker 12: We've seen more traffic to our tariff simulator on our website than to the overall website.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting, Ryan, do we think that companies are going to try to push more of those costs through going forward as opposed to absorbing them into their P and L statement.
Speaker 12: You only have two choices kind of. I mean, I get you can renegotiate things with your factory. That's not a choice, that's something you're going to always try to do. And then you have two choices. It's do you pass it through and or do you eat the costs?
Speaker 8: And the good businesses will pass it through.
Speaker 12: I think that's you know, one of the hallmarks of a good business is your ability to pass through price increases, but a lot of companies can't. So may not even be a choice as much as you'd like to. The moment you raise your prices, you start to lose demand. So yeah, then longer term you have some more options around moving supply chains, but it's become so difficult because you know it's not just hey, exit China, move your factory somewhere else. Tariffs on India are just about the same as China, and they might pop up anywhere in the world that with the way things have been.
Speaker 7: Going, ryan, are we done with all the avoiding certain areas because you know, there's a drought in one canal, and there's war and potentially in another canal, and there's you know, terrorism in another part of the globe, or you.
Speaker 6: Know, are we back to everyone can ship everywhere?
Speaker 12: I know we're definitely not back to normalcy there. And the container volumes going through the Suez Canal are still down about seventy five percent since the HOUTI started to cut that channel off at the end of a couple of years ago, and actually just last week created a poly market on this. Now you can bet on anything out bet on whether when traffic will return to normal through the Suez Canal. It's not very it's pretty thinly traded right now. We'll see if we get some more signal out of that. But there are some rumors that will start to come back to life next year and ships will return, but for now they're going all the way around Africa and polymarket has me at thirty seven percent to return in Key one. I think that's free money I'm taking. That won't happen side of that shore.
Speaker 6: Hey, we're ignoring that part of the conversation. What about the Panama Canal, Well, Panama's been.
Speaker 8: There ongoing thing ever since they re engineered it.
Speaker 12: So they widened the canal in back in twenty fifteen. And you know, the Panama Canal runs on fresh water, so if you widen the canal, more fresh water flows out of the canal into the ocean than when it was narrower. And so ever since they've done that with the same amount of rain, you've now had these periodic moments where there's just not enough water to operate the canal. We're currently in a normal period, but a couple of two years ago it was really bad. They could only operate about two thirds capacity on that. That's going to keep coming back unless they spend tens of billions of dollars re engineering the water flows in the canal, which I don't I don't think they're gonna be able to do.
Speaker 3: That's on my bucket list to go through the Panama Canal, it really is.
Speaker 7: I think you're containership wisely then, Paul, because you're not getting on all of them.
Speaker 2: I know exactly, but I'm ready to do that. Talk to us about inventory levels, Ryan, I mean, are retailers are they stocking their usual amount of retail inventory or are they going a little bit light or what are they doing?
Speaker 8: No, you could argue they're going the opposite.
Speaker 12: They're going heavy on us here because because not so much because of the uncertainty of demand, although that always exists, but because of the tariffs.
Speaker 8: So everybody front loaded.
Speaker 12: You know, these reciprocal tariffs on restive world ended August twenty ninth, and you had a while, a couple of months to know that that was coming, and so everybody brought all their inventory in early. And what it's going to look like is you can never really predict what's going to be a hit product and what's not. And so you're gonna have You're gonna have stock outs on certain hit products where because it's not much hard to replenish, you're paying higher duties, and so you're gonna have stockouts on some of the hit products. And then I suspect you're going to have quite a bit of overhead of products that didn't move, and you'll probably see some good deals coming.
Speaker 8: In the beginning of next year.
Speaker 12: I mean, we may see some right now with Black Friday, but usually these things play out into the Q one period once the holidays.
Speaker 8: Are over all.
Speaker 2: Right, Fannie, here's the book recommendation of the day for you about the Panama Canal, The Path between the Seas David McCullough.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal book about the history of the.
Speaker 6: Panama and a great writer. I will definitely read that.
Speaker 7: I'm on my twenty second book of the year, which I guess is good, but.
Speaker 6: So Ryan.
Speaker 7: You know, in terms of shipping companies and em and A, there was plenty of speculation that ZIM, for example, was going to.
Speaker 6: Get bought out or whatever.
Speaker 7: That happened a couple of times this year, and some of these shipping companies have been really having a hard time of it trying to deal with all of this uncertainty. Do you have any forecast for us and what we might see maybe next year in terms of m and A and consolidation.
Speaker 8: No, I don't really know. We'll see it.
Speaker 12: You know, we see a few of the big companies executing that strategy. DSV is the biggest right forwarder in the world. They've been the most inquisitive. But they just bought dB Schenker and that deals closed, and.
Speaker 8: That is a lot to digest.
Speaker 12: They're going to be you know, it basically doubles their number of offices around the world, almost doubles their volumes. So the main acquire is probably off the table for the next couple of years as they two on that one, and we'll see. There's you know, there's been a lot of consolidation. When I started Flexport, there were twenty three ocean carriers, major ones were down to eleven, and I don't know there's there may be some mergers, but they've all in the past that was done out of financial weakness where they were all kind of struggling.
Speaker 8: Well, they've all put a lot of money on their balance sheet.
Speaker 12: Over the last few years when the rates were going crazy, So there's not going to be a lot of the forced m and a that we saw that drove that consolidation. We'll see though, maybe there's some interesting strategic opportunities.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have little kasa or pending consolidation in the railroad industry. Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific do you think shippers want a transcontinental railroad, Ryan, probably.
Speaker 12: But I don't think they just want one. You get monopoly powers. They'd like to see more than one. And that's the challenge. We've only got four railroads in the US, and if you merged the two and you got two on the west and two on the east, so you could end up in a position where you've got two end to end railroads crossing the country.
Speaker 8: I mean, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 12: It's sort of silly to transfer to a different railroad just because you're crossing the country. But you will see probably who knows how we'll play out, if the efficiencies are passed through to the brands, to the people that are shipping cargo or not, or does it get absorbed in sort of oligopoly pricing.
Speaker 7: Ryan, When it comes to the different modes of transportation, so poor its trains, you know, rail shipping, and even at one point people were flying their cargoes right for a huge premia. Who are facing the highest premia or is it the same for everybody across the board?
Speaker 3: Not sure?
Speaker 8: Answer the question in terms of what.
Speaker 7: If you're booking travel for your inventory, does it matter if you're a toy retailer, or if you're you know, a clothing retailer, or if you ship furniture, is it the same price or does it depend on ways?
Speaker 6: And how does that all work? Do you bid on it?
Speaker 7: Is it an auction?
Speaker 12: Your pricing will be about the same no matter what you're shipping these days, that's the beauty of the container. Nobody cares what's inside of it as long as it doesn't you know, catch on fire or anything. But but the tariffs will be quite different based on the different uh based on the value of the goods and what's being shipped. And so there you see big category shifts where certain products are just really hard.
Speaker 8: Hitting others are totally xempted.
Speaker 12: And the other factor here is if shipping prices go way up, like a container of furniture only holds about eight couches something, so a high shipping price there, all right, hits the pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Rough Leave it there, Ryan, thanks so much for joining us at Ryan Peterson Founder and see you a flexport.
Speaker 1: This is the Boomberg Intelligence podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday ten am to noon Eastern on bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal