Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: Finally we're here Drink Chances, the fourth Annual Black Inspector Podcast Festivals.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be there, No, we's gonna tear it up. You know there's a lot of black people there, so you listen to Deep Black as Hell. Hey from twenty fifth Atlanta, Georgia. Please go get your tickets. I'm telling you, go get your tickets.
Speaker 2: I know how this happened. I've been going there. It's been going there. You've been going there. Go get your tickets. He's going down Drink Chances, fourth annual Black Effect Black Black Black Black Effects dot Com slash podcast festivals.
Speaker 1: He is Drink Chance Mother Bucky podcast man. He's a legendary queens rapper. He's agreed as your Boy n O r E. He's a Miami Hill pop lioneer up as dj e f N. Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players you know what I mean, and the most professional, unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunks Drin Chance days New Year's Eve, It's time for Drink Champs, drink up the would it good?
Speaker 2: Be hoping He's wants to be It's your boy in O r E. One of his dj E f N This Militam Crazy world Y.
Speaker 1: Happy Hour makes the load.
Speaker 2: When I tell you, this man is an icon, and this man is a legend. This man has shaped He has made so many babies throughout this world because the music that they was making babies too. He was making it for you for decades and decades and decades. They said he grabbed a guitar at three.
Speaker 1: Years old and was making beats. Then I'm making that. This man, this is a legend of legend uh.
Speaker 2: From from from all the icons that he's worked with, and he's this is something that.
Speaker 1: I've been wanting to do for so many years.
Speaker 2: When we started to show, we said that we wanted to give people that paved the way before us.
Speaker 1: And this is a legend. This is this is a real icon. This is a person that when you look up I'm sorry to say it, when you look up music, his picture, shit is gonna be right there. Music not music, not hip hop, not R and B music, period.
Speaker 2: This man has done the way. He's the reason why most of us is here. And we won't give you your flowers today. We want to show you how much you mean to us. And in case you don't know who we're talking about, the one, the only, the impeccable, motherfucking Before I get into everything, right, I'm gonna tell you which is a great moment with me. Right, Me and you are watching Pharrell's movie.
Speaker 1: Right, We're both at the premiere, sitting in the cluster, sitting across from each other. And this is how I know you're a real person.
Speaker 2: I saw a genuine love when you saw him on that screen. I got I was sitting right directly behind you, so I got to see you, like how I'm looking at EFN right now And I saw you and then look and the only of the time I've ever saw this.
Speaker 1: In life, I mean in music business. Let me just limit it to.
Speaker 2: That was one time I went with with Knaves and he watched rock him perform and I saw the joy in Nod's face watching his his Uh that's his leader, right, that's his and this is your protegect. This is I know you, your humble guy. So yeah, but I saw the happiness in your face. I got to see it, and I was like, that is so that is so rare and seldom that people like.
Speaker 1: You show that love. You know what I'm saying, trying to say like like like I sincerely saw that. Man. I was so happy. I'm always forever proud. And then I remember I remember me talking to you and I was like, you know, I didn't know what the fuck I was doing in this movie and you said me, neither, Yeah, we did five years before.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's take it from there. Did you know this was a Lego movie? Because I didn't know until I was in there.
Speaker 1: I was told it was an animated movie. Ain't that what I told you? They never said lego, They said animated an Okay, just understand. When the trailer came out, we were trying to tell him how big it was, and he still didn't understand. I was like, no, I don't. I don't get it. I mean same thing. Somebody called me and said, yo, mm hmm, your studio is coming down like this. This is just dropping all right. I was like, whoa. So when I first saw when I saw it, M this is crazy. See what's next? And then then it shows a little snippet you know, of me, and I was like, oh, I look funny. I had the big the big splitting my teeth and everything. It was really wide. I was like I was like, Okay, this is this is dope. And then I had I changed clothes in the movie and it's like you real life, this is.
Speaker 2: I had a different clubs. So it's so dope. Like you know, I've been we've been doing this. We're going on ten years.
Speaker 1: Next month. And what I like to do is, you know, I want to do research.
Speaker 2: And I got to say when I've said this a couple of times, but what I got to say is your history. It's probably the richest history I've ever like really like googled and like just got because like you control the music.
Speaker 1: For maybe four decades. Yeah, I've been in for this is my forty year.
Speaker 2: This is your forty year, right, And I'm looking and I'm like, damn, bro, you know what's crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't remember not knowing you, like since I was since you were aware of music, since I was aware. That's what's crazy. I feel like I know you my whole life, and I know I don't, but the same thing. That's how Yeah, I feel the same way because you coming for else's right. That's right, grandchildren, that's right, that's right, that's what that's That was the beauty part of seeing that too, because obviously I had an album before I met Forever when.
Speaker 2: That Pharrell took a chance on me and I took a chance on him, right, right, But let's take it to the beginning now, right.
Speaker 1: A lot of people credit you from Virginia, right, and.
Speaker 2: They say that he's a lot of people don't know not only you from Harlem, You're from the part of Harlem that probably ever existed.
Speaker 1: The pictures with you. Rich Water went to high school today, Okay, talking about because a lot of people don't know that, Like, you know, that was your peer, that was literally your peer. Yeah, I mean it's my big brother. You know. When we went to high school. We used to scamble, scammer, gamble, oh, gamble Okay, yeah, I heard your gambler high school me Defer. Wait wait, how about Aceptford is like my nephew, Yes, except which is deeper. I went to school with his father. Yes, it's crazy. So all of the fathers, you know, our sons, you know ya, no problem, we were taking Deferd used to do all of our trucks. He did all the graffiti on our on our jeeps. Wow, pathfinders, m v P s you know m P I knew exactly what you meant Forget that. But yeah, I went to school with almost everybody from the hood, right, but I lived in every in every borough though except that now that okay, wow, we started uptown. Oh wow. I lived in Queens, but not long. Okay. I lived in the Bronx when I moved from the projects. That was the first place I moved was Riverdale, Okay, Yeahdale, and uh we got problems up there. That's before they had a Starbucks. Now they got a Starbucks. Yeah yeah, yeah, okay. Then I moved to Jersey in Biggie's old house. Oh, in Great Neck right, okay, so how how how does because I want to I want to, I want to. I want to stay there for a set.
Speaker 2: People know who Rich Parter and like our pole is now, right, were you ever like were you ever felt like you were in like danger or like just being around them all?
Speaker 1: They were just irregular, that's my guy. Yep, I'll poll that's not gonna say alcohols. It's twenty nineteen game. So when he came at the Apollo, okay, he came to my dressing rooms career, you know, even though he killed my best friend. All right, you know, we have to learn how to forget. You know what I'm saying life for sure. I knew it when it came from us, but I knew a lot of people, you know, was they had. That's how pose she was the rich Porter because I think you just said that's your best friend. Wow, it's like my brother, I mean rich Porter. Him and a Z kicked me off the street. I heard you say that I would like to read, but it wasn't. I got kicked off of like for good reasons, the blocks because they knew I was into music. And then yo, so rich Porter was just give me a give me money and just like, yo, I need you to stay to protect you. Yeah. But at one point I'll pole put about two million dollars in my trunk that California presenting the Guy album to m c A and my brother Marquel from Rex in effect had my car. He pulled up on my brolly. He said, take this briefcase putting in trunk. Tell you whether I want to be in the music business. And I said, uh, I said, get that ship back. I said, give it back. Tell him you at I'm gonna be in California for a while, and uh, yo, I'll talk to him when I get back. So up when you know, we always had that. That's how we went to Virginia Beach. Do you know they're the cause. We are the cause of going to Virginia Beach. We used to try to a bus right and just take a bunch of girls and everybody. We used to go down there and just go to King's Dominion, you know, just have fun, have the jet skis. And when I went down there, I just said, yeah, I said to my fiance at the time, my ex, I said, if I moved anywhere, I want to move here. Not thinking there's no music, there's no scene. It was nothing for me to grab one to. I had to create that and that's what I did. I created jobs for people. Yeah. I created places for kids to go and things for kids to do to stay off the streets, and it definitely worked. I had shoot Allen Iverson was on my Celebrity Basketball I remember, I remember, and uh, Kevin gott Nat you know, all of them came down, Penny Holloway, they came down. Everybody always wanted to see what what is going on in Virginia Beach. That everybody just keep going down there and and like you said, there's something is in the water. Oh yeah, definitely. And you believe that there's something in the water that's always is, always have been. That's why we went down there. You know. When I went down there, it was just nobody was like Jimmy Buffett, you know, and I just said, you know what, as like, yo, are you sure you don't want to go back to New York. I was like, nah, I'm just staying here. But they thought we was drug dealers. Yeah. I think we had every two And we had to prove ourselves, you know, to the these cops because they kept coming into the to the studio investigating us. And we finally got to them, he said, you know, and they were asking us what could we do for the community. Well, maybe you can help us. And we went to We had asked them to introduce us to the principal of the school where Pharrell went to school, and Chad and Long Behold. We talked to the principal and we asked them, can we do some challenge shows here? He said, only want one condition, can our students participate? I said, of course, that's the purpose of us doing it here. And one thing that to another. We had the first Talent Show and everybody was you know, we had judges that came down something from New York, and Tammy Lucas was there and she was one of the judges. And I have to give Tammy the credit because you know, Tammy is like, you got to check these young boys out. You know, they playing on tables and ship you know, like banging on tables and spitting fire. So I said, I'm gonna check them out. Everybody's going for the people singing I Will Always love you, the greatest love of all somebody who hold a long note, and everybody's mm hmmm, that's not it. Before all of them got on, they didn't have the concept, but they came out and he was spitting the Talent Show right, Okay, he started switching instruments. I was like, that's it, because you picked them to win the Talent Show. That's crazy. Yeah. I was like, nah, I'm going backstage. I'm going to talk to them. And I always felt like I owed you money because because Tammy Lucas, he just brought her up a lot of people don't know Tammy Lucas is that voice that you hear what what I know that And for years, people will come up to me and say, you know that's that's that's Teddy Routy artist and now we'll be like holy ship. So I didn't know. But that's a that's a that's an unhidden gym right there. She's she's amazing. You know, we're we're actually cranking up the new New Jack Swing tour. And uh, we just sold out of at Meylmore. We sold a lot of concert and I didn't think I could do it by myself. And I just say, you know what, sell out to sell out, but the mayor told us, yo, y'are the only ones that's sold out here. Wow. It's makes some noise for that. But we are supposed to come back for Jazz in the Garden and uh something else we're performing at. And I said, I'm gonna bring High five, bring Dougie Fresh.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I just said, you know, I just want to open up shop. And you know, we're looking at places here just you know, kind of because my wife, you know, she her family lives here. I said, you know, just get a second home here, that's right, and just kind of starts something. So I'm ba Savona a little bit. Kids at work. Was that don't look them up.
Speaker 2: I specifically heard you for the interview and you said, do not look that up and look them up.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, holy ship.
Speaker 2: For people who are starting out right me and he makes fun of me all the time.
Speaker 1: My first MC name was MC Yahoo with the ball to Bean.
Speaker 2: So get that work is better. But let's take us to those days. What's that you guys to to formed that group?
Speaker 1: Actually it was Timmy Gathering okay, original member of God Okay wow. And the other guy is our big brother, Chlorl who's now he's like one of the most sorted out, most sorted out vocal coach. He works with a lot of singers and we're all still doing our things. But Timmy Gatlin was the one who I started kids at work with, you know, and we did a record, we did a you know album, didn't do nothing. So that's made that's what made me just quit doing R and B. So I was doing rap records. I did Kumode, Dougie Fresh, Spooney g the Wop Dance, the Anthem That's New Generation, which has been so dice got you back into R and B. Yeah, okay, with with Keith Sweat, you know, with Keith Sweat. Yeah, that's what got me back into doing R and B. And first that I did was I want to and I just said, you know, this is this is uh, it's gone. I'm gonna make something out of this. Yeah, it just jumped out of me. I'm sorry, it's all good. Just hit me it's not good. But that's that's where my music just started evolving. Okay, in my life as well, you know, because coming from the hoods, you know, you never know how you you're able to get out, you know and really make something out of yourself and not seeing a few people like it's a little before your time. But tell us thee Earleen Twins, Arleen Twins, I Knowles Wins. Yeah, yeah, I know, yeah, yeah, one of them passed away. Goblin, yeah yeah, Leroy Burgess always can't all from Harlem, Black Ivory. They had radio from Brooklyn. I thought they was from Brooklyn. But no, no, no, no, no, no, what yeah they might yes, yes, but all of us we lived everywhere, you know in New York. It's like right, but coming up when I was hustling, I was going to Halem World actually actually had Sixteenth Street and Lenox Avenue. I used to go and see all of the rappers, like you know, Furious Five, Crash Crew, z B. I was at the battle. When you're on the ground, you're on the ground level of it all. Yeah, I was. I was at when Como D was battling z B, L Couch. Everybody was there and sitting through that being a fan. Never thought I would be working with all of them. It's like surreal And that's my thought pattern of like that, Well I ever make it out of Harlem. So all I wanted was my records to play on the radio. I didn't even think about money. They just thought about I need to give my music out there. And it got out there more than I thought it was, you know, because one record led to another, and you know, radio stations started really taking a you know, taking a like into my music. So when I started R and B with Keith Sweat, Yeah you heard of Frankie Crocker. Of course, I don't want to say names like yo, I was too young. If we don't know, we need to dig in the craze. Faky Crocker was the one that broke I want to for you was the guy on the radio station. Correct, he was like he was like back then the most paid radio guy for better term probably what we was to start, like, yeah, okay, there you go. So Frankie he debuted I Want To and it was on jam at the slam It and everybody slammed it. Slam it is the bad one. That's the bad. So Frankie took it upon himself, you know, go against the grain and say, you know, y'all may slam this record, but I'm a jam thissh record. Y'all don't understand. This is the new wave. And when we did that, I felt like Robert Townsend on uh, it's that movie. He's like, they planning it, they're playing it on the radio. Mom, So was it a good? God? Not five heart beats? Right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You know what? Okay, I don't remember, but that's how I felt, you know. And my mother was there with me. It's like we're hearing the record on the radio. But before all of that, my mother made me do the poor man copyright the mailing. Yeah, so I mailed tape yourself to myself. Okay, yeah, that's copyright. Cool, damn the postmark when I make that. You know, she was like because when she first heard it, she and she know what it was, but she was like, this sounds good. You know. I used to always get how you say bothered by the neighbors, you know, because I was making a lot of noise. Noise, yes, of course. And then uh, like I said, when they started evolving and everybody started like, yo, he's gonna make it out of the projects. So everybody became fans and supportive. So that's where I raised you. Yes, that's right. Hold on, we got to go back to because I feel like we're going to skip forward. We jump around, I'm so happy, I'm happy, I'm sorry, and so many iconic records, but going back to these early hip hop records that you were involved in, like the show, Yeah, Yo, that's crazy. Can you give us like a breakdown of how that comes about? Yeah, so the show basically came about me and Doug. You first went to the same high school, and actually we got kicked out of three high schools before ending up at the same high school. And uh, we don't know this version. We don't see you being like that guy getting kicked out of high school. It's okay. I got kicked out because that into a fight. And when I got into a fight, I threw one blow and everybody threw all the blows. Deferred everybody, Okay, I see deferged, sister Kim. Everybody was just on this guy because he kind of snitched on me. Now we throw the how you say, the eraser the chalk boy at the teacher. So I threw the chalk boy and next thing you know, everybody was laughing and the dude was like, he did it. It's like, let's see you after school. And then, uh, the dude when he got hit about four or five, everybody just went on him and he his whole fronts was gone because he went straight into the fire hydrant. Damn. Next day I got to school, they took me straight to the office. It's like, mister Rolli, you you expelled. We're evaluating you know, you're you being here and it looks like you're not gonna you're gonna get You're getting kicked out. So I got kicked out and went to uh west Side west I High High. I ain't stayed there long. I didn't get no fun, but I just didn't pass the programs. You know how you go to school one week and then you work one week, so it's co op. You know I did that. I quit job the first day and w first went to the same school he got kicked out of, King went to west Side. We both got kicked out of West Side end up at Parkies and that's where we created the show. That's when we've created the show, and then we performed it at the graduation he graduated. I was in eleventh grade. So when he left the school, I quit school because I was making money. I had my first publishing deal with Zumba. Let's job, right, So my first publishing deal and son and Grand so over time, I think it was three hundred grand. So I had one hundred grand a year or something like that. I'm eighteen years old, right, Yes. I took that home to my mom and the hundre ground or the three hundred grand the hundred ground. I told her, you know, we got she made it with a job. I made it. She was like, nah, wa ain't Quentin, you got to make ten moretels. Wow, let's make some little shot. It's real, that's real. So I went and made ten more right before twenty, right, took it to her and she said, okay, we can move now, now we can move. So we moved to the Bronx first, and at that same time I was working with Andrew Heel Uptown Uptown, so I had two places. I was living in Brooklyn, at Uptown, I was living in we moved to the Bronx. At the same time, I'm working with Keith Sweat mixing. I want to and to make the last Forever album. Get a call from Timmy gathering. But we're going back to Dougie. I'm a segue back. So when we did this show at the graduation, when he left, I quit school and then he went on to making, you know, making ways, performing him at Slickorid performing and I had to kind of find my way. And when I quit school, I ended up working for my uncle but also performing at the same time, and they built a studio for me at the rooftop because I.
Speaker 2: Heard a story. I believe you told it. You didn't even have a board when you started out. You would go and learn.
Speaker 1: At everybody's studio, going everybody studio and the program just beats. Put it on a cassette, take it with me, and just play it for everybody. So until I was able to afford a drum machine, I was just doing that first drum machine I was on was uh, the Oberheim d X weight. So I want to come tell all the trappers out there. I was doing trap before them, making records with like go see the Doctor eight away, and you know, we didn't have it washing, nothing sinking, so we used that punch to make two drum machines sink together. Wild You young motherfuckers need to listen. You know you know how hard that ship is. Go ahead. I'm sorry. That was the That was the first I know, but sides doing Dougie Fresh the show, the show, I didn't really know where it was going. But when the show came out, even though you know, I didn't get any credit for it, because like I said, I had started in my eyes. I just wanted to record play on the radio and you know, be a part of something. And that's how I started evolving in Harlem. And then everybody came to me from Brooklyn, the Queens and everybody would come to my projects and I would make records for everybody. So I'm bouncing around a little bit, like you said, I need to ask you this. I believe I see Jermaine depreciate this. He said that New Addition is the greatest group of all time. Then they questioned them. They said, because each one of of these members solo went platinum, do you believe that statement? I believe they are the greatest group of all times. Are we making no noise for that? Yeah? Okay? And why I say that is because them together is a nucleus. And now you see them all together. Nobody's standing up to that and their group that got back together and stayed together because they'd seen the business. They stood on business. If other groups would stand on business, we would have a nucleus. And we have groups back. Wow. Right now it's the recession of groups. Now we're leaning towards we're leaning on the legends. Wow. You know. And they're the legends that is really setting the example, you know for the other legends. You know, all these groups breaking up is like one twelve Now it's just twelve. Damn. I didn't know that, you know, Yeah, really damn what they doing? Then you got groups that lost members like High five. Yeh, I'm putting them back together. Yes, intro. So there's a lot of groups out there that are legend groups, but there's no new groups. Okay. I thought Day twenty six was going to be you know the next next big thing. Agree, but it happen so for real, so real. It was definitely a dope group developed by Heavy d and and uh Eddie F and the crew. I think what it is is, you know, it was the artist development.
Speaker 2: Artists development is missing in the industry. Yeah, I agree with that one mean thing.
Speaker 1: When we had I was artist developed. This is a lot for Oh yeah, it was about a year my first I went to media coach. My first media coach was Wendy Williams. Wow. No, hell, that's why she didn't talk about me. Damn, oh you never have. That's like my sister, okay, like in a good way. That's Whinny Williams gave me my fortieth birthday party wow in California. And my second media coach was Nelson George. Wow. My third was the guy who gave me the name new Jack Swing and that's Byry Michael Cooper who wrote and co wrote New Jack City. M So I was around a lot of people. It was just you know, creating me, you know what I'm saying, Like this guy would like pressure me to uh give a name to my music, like call my music something, and I didn't have no idea. He's like, all right, this is your second session, your third session, you better have a name. I didn't have a name. He's like, I'm going to give you a name, and he said you should use new jack Swing because you're the new kid on the block swinging it. Wow. And that's how I got the name of just He said, run with it. You'll thank me later. He's in my book too. The whole genre was that, let me tell you something, the genre and still today, you know, technically a lot of people don't know they're doing the jack swing right, So a fusion. We one man of acent googled it and had it plan and we didn't realize how many workds you. We were doubting. It was like, wait a minute, he couldn't have did that too.
Speaker 2: Do you understand how many Do you understand how how many lives you change? Like we're all sitting here just amazed, like all of us, come, let's just give it like this is here.
Speaker 1: We were so I believe you are first guest that came a little late, and we was like, we do not care. Whenever he shows up. We're cool with it. But do you understand how many lives here you changed? To do this, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not even getting to Bobby. I'm not even getting to Michael yet. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I'm just getting into you and your groups. For me, I don'm doing on my past, all right. I don't do it on my past. I try to forget about it so I can keep going, right, So it's like I'm almost famous, right, That's how I go every day. I just think about that. Okay, what was it was? What it is now? It matters, you know, if I can change and continue changing lives, that's what matters for me, and I am you know. It's like I can go anywhere and I can live anywhere and something gonna come out of it. Never I don't know. I just feel like the most high is like, all right, you're gonna go here, You're gonna live here, and you're gonna do something here. That's what I did in Virginia. I did it in Atlanta. I was in Atlanta before the village. I heard second home, second home, but Vegas, California. Living in Atlanta was one of the things that I said, you know, I want to do and I want to kind of more often exfuse the music and bring everybody together try blue jack swing, just put it all together. And I wound up working with a lot of people there. But the main thing was challenging to me was moving to Korea. Wait a second, you moved to Korea, Yeah, to do K pop. I mean I knew there was a lot of people from out here that was influencing that whole movement. You were, and you told me I was my daughter. You a whole conversation. I got listen to Golden every day. Those records, they are amazing. And when I went out there, it was two thousand and seven. I went out there and got robbed rob. I'm gonna tell you how not rob Like onto my head. They stick. They got some shree guys out there. They're ill business people. Yeah, they are really ill. So when we went out there, right, I did a whole I had I think every news channel. We did a press conference. The reason why because I didn't know how big my music was out there. K pop is new jack swing. And then I get out there like not knowing anything about the business aspect, like the stock game, and I'm out there like they give me half a million dollars do this, and you know, and I'm doing it but not. I finally had like a few meetings with the CEOs and CEO's like when come with us, So I'll go with s some entertainment, not knowing that when they put put me on the books, they stock went up. I didn't ask the stock to get stuck. Dumbest ship out. But I still made a lot of money out there. I still made ways and now you're here Teddy Rally is a part of you know, k pop. It's responsible. But when I went out there, let me tell you I got I went out there, did this whole press conference. There's a company I ever heard of, a company called ten Cent. They're like Rockerfeller in Korea. Yes, they're like the South Korea big yeah, South Yeah, but they're like the biggest when it comes to they're like Viacom Okay, wow, okay. They own everything out there, the karaoke machines, all of that stuff. Like you go in the mall, you know how we get those the picture taking things, karaoke machines, all the malls. Yeah, that's big out there. That makes more money than anything. Wow. So I'm out there and they were like, we'd like to figure out doing a movie with you, and I was like, great, let's do it. You know, they said, what you gonna call it? I want to call it Asia A star in Asia. They take my shir and ran with it. I was like, oh, they just took the idea. They trademark, did they trade magt It was like wow? And then oh, I didn't know he was going there me out here out there. They gave him two million dollars and he shared nothing with me. I come back, I get forty grand and I'm on my way. Why did ten cents come to try and sue me? Because they thought I was doing the movie and they gave him the money. He did the contract. So I had to prove myself to them, saying, listen, I'm I'm a man of honor. I would never take your money. They knew somebody was doing dude and got married on their money for the wife. And this is the guy that brought you out the originally yes so, and the same guy who was taking my publishing because we had did records for artists. Oh god, we did records for this artist's name. Uh, what's his name? I think it's Rain. No. Rain is the guy who's like usher out here okay, so we did these records. This company took out publishing and mechanic rights. I didn't know that ASCAP does not exist in Korea. They have their owns. The company is called Kumka Oh. And these guys was publishing our songs and copyrighting our songs. We went through Korean music book camp check this out. We had already went there, came back and me and my guys did. We did these records for them. They paid us nice money and everything right. It was like, yo, where's all we issues? Like what we It's like, Yo, let's go back. I said, Yo, we ain't going back to start no trouble. We're gonna go back and say it's not fear and hopefully it will meet somebody who can help us. And that's how we met as some entertainment and they help us get every publishing, mechanical rights and all of our rights back. Wow. On a condition of me staying for two weeks to do some music with the artists. Two weeks turn into two months, two months turn into two years. Living in Korea, it's like, we enjoy your music. We want can you stay, We'll get your house, We'll get you They got us a building. Wow. We built the studios and the building and we were there for two years. Let me find out you speak Korean? Now, how far to at all? I was translating. Oh, now they got the you're talking and you can talk right about yah. Sure that's right. And I was, you know, getting I had my translator on my phone and that's how I got around. And I didn't have to go in too many places. I stayed in the studio. I live in the studio, okay. So when I was out there, I had no relationships. I just I was in that studio and they thought I was a martiroom because I would be in that studio from ten to ten in the morning. They would be coming into work and he's like, he's still here. So they built me a bedroom in the actual office. Goddamn it. Wow, that's hard. So it's safe to say that you open those doors for a lot of people over here too. Well. They were doing what they're doing anyway, right, but there's a lot of collaboration have to do it for it to be introduced. Now, I can't say that because you had what's my guy, Jay Park? Jay is a Jay Park. He was doing it. He came over here, but I went over there, and when I went over there, it was just I was working with every broup. We had five six number one records, and we place stove for forty forty songs. So I was pretty much living comfortable out there, and in my mind was kind of learning the culture. It's kind of getting together while the record business over here was getting it together because it was a recession. But what years are is this exactly when I went over there to live, it was twenty ten to twenty twelve, and yeah, that's when we had the whole real estate crash out here. That's when the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that's what streaming, streaming is interesting kindas and all of that.
Speaker 1: When I came back was when Heavy D passed away, and that's what made me say it, I'm coming back to America. I moved to Atlanta then asked my sister, just find me a place. It's like where you want to live, gated community. I said, no, I want to live next to you. They found me a place and I lived there for a little while and kind of outgrown it and moved into a house, you know, big house, and stayed down there for a while. Atlanta. Yeah, okay, how do you feel like was that? Was there a culture shock living out there? I was assuming that's your first time living outside of the States, was it. No, I lived in London. I lived in London. My earlier is when I was working in Cood and the Ocean. We did all like I'll go see the dots. How do you like me? Now? Those records we did in London we did at Battery Studios because draft records. We don't realize how much of those records were made. It was a battery studio. I didn't know Battery Studios was located in London. They have one in London and one in New York. Yeah, but I didn't. I didn't. I didn't hold so damn that's fucking me up. So that's where y'all you and hold D recorded that, like we did first album, second album. Then just legendary, I see, because I can't fathom this because because I lived there, like we would spend three to maybe six months. But that wasn't much of a culture shock being in in London versus here as it was. And me tell you why, driving on the wrong Yeah, we didn't drive. I was like, yeah, I'm not getting into no accident. But I'm used to driving on outside. So when that happened, you know, we were have a driver. They gave us the driver clip Calder Clock Calder was a guy who was the first guy to see me make a b wow. I was making how you like me now? And when he came in the room, he was he was behind his dark you know, tenthed glass watching me. Were you using? I was using the MP because they had one. There wasn't mine. No, it wasn't about to say it wasn't MP. Was the behind the d X and no was an MP. It was I can't imagine. I had a sepler the s P, No was it spee and but it was this. I ain't had no drum machine on the Ford one, so I was banging out on everybody's joint, you know. But when I was there, they had every drum machine. And I made that back and he was just watching. I've seen his head just going. And then he walked in the room. He called me another name, no Clive.
Speaker 2: Okay, ceo, because I keep looking at his glasses and I was looking at you.
Speaker 1: He's trying to imitate I keep looking bad. He called me my partner. My partner name is Levor and he said Levor. I said no. He said, what's is your name? I said, I'm Teddy Riley, Teddy Wally, Teddy that kind of sounds huh sounds good good, Yeah, Teddy Rally. He said, so you make the beats. I said, yeah, I make the beats. He said, can you excuse me a second? I says yeah, sure. He went upstairs and called Barry Weiss, John Records as well, and Callie, all of them. I said, he got them all on the phone. He told me this, He said, I got them on the phone and asked her. I said, who's Teddy Rowley? And and I guess they answer is Teddy Rally is one of the guys. You know he works with them, He works with He said, you guys know he makes the beats, and he's like nobody. It was crickets. And he said, I told them, if you guys, when he comes back to the States, if you don't have him in that office making a deal, somebody's getting fired. And I had a meeting with him. I went down there by myself and didn't have no lawyer, no nothing. It's my first meeting with him and that was how I got my first hundred thousand dollars two zumber and that was my first publishing deal. God damn me, that's wild. Makes a noise for you want to do quick Time of Slim, but you gotta explain that. Let's do it. Let's get a designate a drinker. Okay, yeah, yeah, because you don't have to drink. Okay, okay, you can, Okay, we'll get something. Get somebody like you. Yeah, my nephew. Oh ship damn he do you under the bus like that? I like that. He what I would do with my nephew. I'm just letting you know. He told me. Okay, okay, okay, okay, drinking, I'm ting there. Yeah, So we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna ask him, and you know, can you break down the game?
Speaker 1: So this is our drinking game, okay, and we're gonna give you two choices. If you pick one, we don't drink, right, But if you say both are neither, like you really don't want to answer. I plead the fifth, You plead the fifth. We're drinking everybody's dress, but really we just want stories out of it.
Speaker 2: But I'm not gonna lie to you. I feel like Teddy is a great person. He's not going on one to answered every sense I forget.
Speaker 1: No, it was a great dad. He answered everyone. So Dad here he answered everything. Don't yeah, he asted everyone politically.
Speaker 2: So, nephew, I'm not you want did you really ask for tiger and we're doing yoghe No, no, no, no, he's asking you don't want to tag?
Speaker 1: You don't. I don't want. No, nephew, nephew, you don't want. You don't want to tag a ball. I ain't gonna lie. I ain't gonna lie. We're gonna as if you want late Dominican mamajuana. Oh wow, okay, okay, so you ready get wait, hold on, it's get You got a couple of shot glasses from Yeah, that's good the first then okay, backing up, this is this is great, by the way, for a couple.
Speaker 2: I have to take the first question because I probably think you're the only person on earth that could probably answer this question.
Speaker 1: This is one of the biggest on our show. Okay, let's do it not too not too heavy for.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go ahead and I'm gonna go in there because I'm gonna go I'm gonna go ahead and go in there I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'll take the first one.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be too great, okay, Michael Jackson or Prince.
Speaker 1: And we need stories too.
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe you're the only person who sufficiently answer this question.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, Michael Jackson, of course, which I want me to tell you. And I feel like you definitely got print stories. I do, okay, But Michael, I have more stories and substance. And why I say Michael, I came ready for the Michael answer. Now you know you just gave him my answer. But why say Michael Is because Michael wasn't just uh an artist. He was a visionary humanitarian well model And now everybody's see now today how much of a role model he was to the kids. He's vindicated in a lot, yes, And it took us this long to really find out all the things that he did to really save humanity, you know, humanity. And I don't think that principal, you know, was there. I pressed did a lot of things, but not what Michael who have done, and the chances that he took just for all of us. So I have to say him in always, not just as an artist. I have to say him he's the one in every way, and I'm sure you always say the same things.
Speaker 2: This is why we want to ask you. This is a this is like still on the same question, but a little bit off. We had what I am on here, what I am telling this story, and he goes famous. It's the favorite story.
Speaker 1: We did not want. We did not know this was gonna go viral. But he was like that.
Speaker 2: Prince kept calling excuse me, a Prince kept calling Michael a meanie.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Michael was called calling Michael. I gotta feel that you know about it. I know about the whole thing. I was the first one was VH that's right, and the big TV before where I am and everybody because Michael told me this story okay, and showed me and gave me the v H s.
Speaker 2: There's a VHA talk about your TV that because I heard Michael.
Speaker 1: Gave you a t No, that's another thing lost. Okay, wait a minute, James Brown concert, Okay, okay, I was the first one with it. We spoke about this on the from Michael before anybody even thought about it. Michael told me everything.
Speaker 4: He said, you know, can I tell you about the time that Prince tried to run us off the road me and my family.
Speaker 1: I was like, yes, tell me that was what happened. He's like, yeah, it's going to Can I show it to you? I was like, sure, what you're gonna show me? Said? He said, I'm gonna show you. Look. Look he took the thing he put in. He pushed the VHSA. He said, this is you can have it copies. I have copies. I was like, okay, So he showed me it. He sat back. He's like, he's like, everybody my preends in the house. Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson, come up here, Michael Jackson. So he came up. Michael came up. He's like, gave my hugs, and you know, did his thing. He just killed it, did the moon walk everything. And James was just like, wow, look at the boys. All right, So that's Michael Coat. So Michael said, you know, after he did his thing, everybody went nuts. Michael went in whispered, and James brown ear and said, Princess an audience. He said, what princess an audience? Oh? I got somebody else on the audious one. He's all now thought he said, Prince Pressed is an artist. And Prince came up and he was on the bodyguards showeder you know, on his back, came up and everybody's like, first of all, you don't you could have walked up there, but Prince, you know, he could have walked up there. It would have been better received because everybody now is like, who's this mother's son? But this before Instagram is Prince come up, body guy, bring him on his stays. He goes his post and Prince borrows the guitar from the guitar player. But he took his glove off. He took his glove off, he threw it in the crowd. He threw it back at him. No ship, that was the first and then uh, he boughted the guitar. Now the guitar don't have no distortion because it wasn't rock music. It was changed bowl music. So Prince was playing and he hit the no deal they so he went. He wanted to keep, he wanted to scream, and it didn't scream. He tried something else. Then he said, all right, let me just bust a move on you. And the look at the to and that's when he I think that's when he threw the glove. I'm gonna look back at it. But that's when he threw the gloves and they threw it back at him. Then next to you know, everything he tried just and didn't want work right, so he said, oh, just forget about it. I'm done. I'm gonna get that nigga, Michael, I'm gonna get his ass. He checked this out. He went to go get off the stage. So he didn't know that the light post was a prop. So he told the light post. The post came down with him and the bodyguard, you know, kind of saved him, took him away. And Michael's in the back just laughing. Okay, you see you see you laughing. He said, you know what happened afterwards? I said, what.
Speaker 4: He said, we was going on with my family was leaving backstage, and always say him it was the Red COVID and it's Prince.
Speaker 1: He tried to run my whole family over. I said, you seriously, said yeah, yeah, it it was on. After that, that's when the whole thing was like Prince against Michael, and you know, everybody went to Michael's side. I got to Mike, but I don't know Will tell it that way. I feel like Will told us the story. After that, it was another show show that he was at. And but the reason why he called him because of that.
Speaker 2: And I believe that he tricked Michael into tricking him to his show. He had already had Print's book, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: Want Michael to know. And then when Michael showing up, he said, he's a meanie. I don't know why I made that voice. I'm so sorry. He's right, and he used that way lies, he used that way. There's a few people he called meanie, like it's a few people. But uh, he said that about Prince a lot. You know, he's a mean he's he's I can't even say man.
Speaker 2: But because because us in hip hop, we look at jay Z and now so we look at like, uh uh, Drake and Kendrick right now, and we look like, Okay, that's us who did that? We don't realize that that should been happening those rivalry. That was the first industry beef was Princeton Michael.
Speaker 1: And then us and addition, I forgot you that was the second. That was the second that was super duper wild because I was in the middle of the whole thing. Where was that? What was it? What's the club downtown? It was like an Auditorium, man Center or something like Hammi Stop, Borrow Webster Hall. It was downtown and all I can remember it was Manhattan something man Sea. Chop Cup Quest performed Rex and Effect perform and I performed with them, and now we in the audience and a fight broke out and it was one of Posse, which is my Cruel and Trip Corp quests, and I'm up here and yeah, nation, yes, next thing you know, I don't know, somebody got the best of them. And then I never knew Chop Cut quests as fighters because they are some of the best rappers in the war. But it's always like my crewise just wow. Right. And when that fight broke out, all I heard was Leo saying to me.
Speaker 3: Teddy Rally, you're going to you wanna pay for this? I was like, wow, I didn't know who Leo was wit what does Leo have to do?
Speaker 1: Because Leon, it was death jam That's why I had to put it together. Sorry, he said, You're gonna pay for this. I was like, what did I do? You the leader? That's how Leon sound You're the leader. I was like wow. So I'm like, how are we gonna fix this? But wait, it doesn't stem from the line that Five says in the song about New Jack Swing, no at all, because that's what everybody always know what that was from. But I knew that, but that was somebody bumped. Somebody wasn't. I don't know the timeline. It was a bump or something. Okay, I got to ask my mother I just talked to today. We got a huge building that we're about to uh move in on twenty Fish Street Club, So I'm gonna ask him about that because I never knew how that ended up. All I knew I gotta screamed that by Leoor and I was like, I didn't want to meet him that way. I didn't know who he was, but I knew he was with Russian Depth Jam and then Russell Simmons, they all walked up. I was like, Wow, this is deph Jam. I don't want to have no fight with them, like you know, so long behold. It led to us having a meeting at the Moss on a deal it was, and then all law school back who went to jail because everybody had guns, and everybody had guns. I didn't go because I was like, if I go, it's gonna be a problem. I feel with your affiliation with Alpho in them is no no, no, no no, So it's not it's not We cannot say that not them. Nah, they didn't get involved.
Speaker 2: You've been involved with a lot of cases.
Speaker 1: But imagine as regular fans seeing this playout, not for them. We didn't think of rex and Effects as necessarily on some Doug ship and question. Yeah, we were confined. Now understood the Zoo Do Nation aspect of it, and then then we started reading more into who was behind rexing Effects and the crew y'all had, and then we saw how it was going to get a little nasty. Wow. I think we started out damn the Bloods and the crips in the projects. Damn it. I mean why y'all were read right now? Damn bro. But when it all happened, shout outs, because you know, Uncle Mike conception, it's like my uncle, No, I did you say that is your uncle Mike exception? Yeah, you might as well say, man, we've done a whole lot, you know, I kind of He always said I saved him from you know, getting killed, you know. And he had a meeting in New York with the Chris Sanda Bloods and he told them. Yo. If it wasn't for Teddy, he ate my life and I got calls from everybody like, yo, you saved my conception's life. We just business, and you know he basically helped me, you know, with sharing my business. He was a part of me working with Mike Cool Wow him the Black Godfather and Quincy Jones. He's the one that did all in the same game. Yeah right, yeah, that's right. So yeah, I always you know, get flowers with it do and he's one of the ones that you know, really saved me with Jean, you know, West coast side and then on the East coast side, my uncle owned the rooftop. My uncle and uh affiliated with Country and NIGGI bonds people, the council. You're the council. My oldest brother was a part of the council. So when I left Jean and broke up with Jean and eighty nine, I know, we're jumping all over the Jean eighty nine because we got to get back to the game. Yeah yeah, we got it ready ready, yeah, by somebody else asking the same thing. But when I left Geane eighty nine, it was because of my mother. You know. My mother was like, if you don't leave him going back to the projects. And I wasn't having that. So when I left him, there was a contract all my life. Oh wow, and people were hearing about it, you know, watch out, watch out for Geene or watch out. So of course I have my family, and I have an incredible team, and then I have the brothers, you know from the Moss. In fact, he was actually eighty six from the Moss, you know, because of me. So when all that happened, my uncle took it upon himself, got with Nikki's people, and Country was the one who bought Jean, because you know, he kind of had a hold on jan so he went, I don't know if you're familiar with uh. There's a place that the Italians own in Harlem call the flash the flash Bar. I wasn't familiar. It's only bar. Most of the homes and all the projects and the buildings are brown and you know, beige, and this was the only red spot. And why they have it read because some people don't leave it. They die in there, almost like rails. I mean, I put that on rals. But but they called a meeting with Jean at the flash Bar. And when they call that meeting, my uncle called me. He said, you're gonna go in here. If you flinch or you you feel don't feel good about this, you're gonna leave. We're gonna stay and he's not coming out of here. And I was like, okay, I'm gonna follow the plan and I'll tell you about Alpo too. So I followed the plan and my uncle started the conversation. He said, what is this? You have a contract out of my nephew, and Jeanne kind of just said, I don't have a contract. You know, maybe somebody else that you know care about me and you know, felt like, you know he did me wrong, but they don't know. But if it's something that I can control, I'm going to control it because he's like my son. He actually was my godfather. So when that happened, I said to my uncle, we're good. He said, you go ahead. I said, let me speak to you. He gave me and he said, he said, what do you want? I said, don't do anything, but to your uncle. You're saying that no to Jane. I said that to my uncle, don't do anything. To Jane, don't do nothing. I believe him because sometimes it could be your crew. Yep. Just like posse Deep. I didn't do nothing with child Caught Quest, but posse Deep got into it. But it looks like I'm the leader because it is my crew, so and they were signed to me, so it looks like me. So I believed him, and long behold. Years later, Jeane Griffin and I got back together, wow, as father and son, godfather and son. And before he passed, you know, I got to you know, take him out of the home because he had dementia. So I got to take him out of the home. And in fact, that's a that's a chapter in my book about forgiveness. I feel like, if you don't have forgiveness in your heart, you'll never leave this earth complete. Mm hm. So I always believe in, you know, completion. So that's what happened with that. But let me tell you something else that I'll post. Said on the radio.
Speaker 4: He's like, yeah, I'm the one that Teddy stopped from killing Jean.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, Yeah, I told him too, wow, because they wanted they wanted to kill So that's true, huh kind of true. It was true. It's true. I don't I just don't believe in that, you know, unless this by all means necessary, right, I just don't believe that anybody should die.
Speaker 2: But but that shows the power that you have by not flexing your power. But you know what I mean, that shows the smartness in who you are.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like like I mean, coming from the streets and coming from the hood, you know, and and experienced the hustling life. And I've seen people, I've been in shootouts, and that's not nothing to play with, especially when you see your friend take a bullet, right. I see my friend take a bullet right, and I rode with uh, the guy who actually battled Biggie the skinny kid. I heard you. I heard you say that before. He the one who brought me to the game. Wow. We was hustling for some big timers until we had our own, and then they kicked me off the street. I protected you different blocks. I mean, they kicked me off Shaw for all the right reasons though, Yeah, but it was because they knew, Yo, he gonna be something. I got that in my notes the shack crew. So let's get on with the gate man. I don't think that exists today though, that kicking off for the right reason. I don't think that's happening anymore. Unfortunately, you know. You know, when I heard your story, probably the last person I've heard was in my hood, Kenny Anderson, Like the drug dealers just protected him.
Speaker 2: The drug dealers knew that he was gonna go, and they took him right off the streets.
Speaker 1: And was just like, yo, I don't think he could he was Kenny. I'm sorry if I'm blowing this up, but I don't even think he was allowed outside. Not in a bad way, but in a way it was like, yo, we see, we see you have a better life ahead of you, so we're gonna protect that. And like Alan Iverson was in that here, but that was because he used to play ball for my celebrity team. I believe they protected him the same way, you know. And and he had some real people around him. What what news in Norfolk. Everybody was behind him, you know, even myself, you know, we It's like he was the guy coming out of Virginia. It's like everybody was being birth out of Virginia, you know. And I was there to really experience, witness and be a part of, you know, architecting that. So let's let's getting back to the game.
Speaker 2: You ready, this is by the way, this is the Dominican guy and the Columbian guy over there, just we just noise over there that we just assume they do cocaine. We don't know for We don't know for like a fact, but we think we assume it.
Speaker 1: Okay, for real or Timberland the same question. Yesterday I did a good job, didn't I practice? Now? Okay, I'm definitely gonna give y'all my stories on both fleets, stories on both Okay, Okay, Nah, I'm gonna plead the fifth Okay, yes, waiting you too? Money? Yeah, I don't even got one. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna tell you why. Because they both are dangerous. Yes, they are not to be played with, still today, still to the day. And I I feel like with both of them, you can hear record it is and not know as there like me, you can hear a record of mine and not his mine. And those people you do not play with. It's like you you can't just say, oh you can you know, stand tall with these guys. They still doing it. They're I love it. I don't see why I would put them against each other, because we all came up together. You know, it's so crazy. We went to the same church. That's crazy, now, that's that's pasta was h for else, cousin he passed away. He passed away. But yeah, but in Virginia, so you for all and Timberland went to the same church. I wonder what this drew was like. Oh no, I donated. I donated equipment to the church, the equipment, the sound system. I donated to the church. In fact, because I have my studio before everybody, the pastor Webbin thorough Good, Bishop thorough Good used to do all of his sermon tapes at my studio. I mean, let's make some noise. So okay, you want to you need this one Black street or guy said that none of them no no, no, no, I ain't cleating the fifth No no, no, no, you know dances me. You still got to drop it. Why because you basically said both of them. Yeah, that's what drinks me? Why say me? Because developing both groups and being a part part of both groups, and then you know, stepping out of it because you've done it for so long and realize that you know, in your relationship right, and you realized why you left her damn when you got back with her, Oh ship damn. I knew why I left her alone. It's the same situation. Well, guy or black Street, that's on you because you know I've seen you say that these guys don't like you, right, that's true. It's I know they ain't got love, they don't never had love. Wait what talking about? I'm sorry what never had love? And I'll tell you why love? It's an action, okay for me? You guys, show me because I'm showing you I major your first big money you have ever made your whole entire life. And if I don't get the love from that and then give you, I gift you publishing because you ain't like nothing, Wow, and then you're gonna go and bite my back out. That's how I say what I say. You know that's not street ordinance street ordinances. And then you want to you want to go solo. I had your publishing, I had everything. I'll give it back to you. Who would you do if someone gave you a whole life that appreciate that? No appreciation, That's what I meant. There's no appreciation and you're still being able to eat. I can stop it. I would never do that, right, but I'm kind of thinking about it. It's a thought. You know why, because if you're going to continue stopping what I would like to do with my music, with your two or three percent on the publisher side, you know, two or three percent can stop you, they can block you. But we're about to change that. It's a new legislations that's about to drop where if you ain't got a substantial amount of publishing, you get your little percentage because the people with this substantial amount are the ones that control the copyrights. Nothing you can do about it, and that's being it's going in the legislations. So now that I owe my publisher, right, I just got it. You just got it, just got it? How many just got it that? You know? How twenty three? Really? Because it's thirty five years and then they're doing the captions. We did the first I think three hundred something songs, and now it's the next three hundred something songs, and then it's gonna keep going. I have a thousand songs. And yeah, did you say four thousand songs? I'm sorry, no, no, no, I said over one thousands, oh one thousand songs. Yeah, Holy moly, I don't even know how that works. I I think I was the producer like Tupac. Tupac made a song every day, you know what I'm saying, If not more, I did like four or five. You know, I was just making records for any and everybody. As I said before, I was just one of my music out there and I had to make a lot of it. So one gonna go, right, but not knowing that, you know a lot of them would go. So yeah, let's keep it going, let's keep coming going. You just I'm just so happy. I'm sorry paid him full or Juice Movies paid in full. Mm hmm, I get it. I mean why because somehow I'm like, I'm in there, you're close. Yeah, you ride around the corner from there. I lived right around the corner from with everything, and they used to come up to the rooftop, you know, and we all used to just we we're the ones like we would chart, but we would do a bunch of stuff together. It's just they wouldn't let me. They wouldn't let me hustle. We do anything together, but you know, have fun. I never had to pay for anything with them. Well, they did right by you. Absolutely Next one, okay, analog or digital of course, you know it Analog all day. Analog you're gonna say anahog And why I'll tell you on the technical side. Why analog is uh, how you would say? It's the warmth, the warmth, the warmth, Yes of music. Now we can go even deeper. I would love for it to go back to analog and uh, four three to two frequency wave. Do y'all know about that? Now you go, yeah, I don't know what. Four three to two is the way we should be listening to music. So when you hear four three to two records, it will make you relax. This music doesn't make us relax. Sometimes we catch headaches and we're not supposed to four three to two. You listen to a Beatles song, it's four three two, Or go back to a Michael Jackson the Jackson five song, like ABC, it was a four to three to two instead of four to four one. Four four one is the frequency that makes us, you know, laugh, cry, fight, catch headache, the press. Right, it's all the things it does to you. We shouldn't be having. Well, four three to two when you listen to it's like we're in tune for that. We're in tune. We're in tune for four three two makes sense. I always like to mention DJ Quick had said something about, yeah, that's the analog we speak four three too, absorbing the energy also in that studio in the room, and like it absorbs that And that's what I like analog.
Speaker 2: I like analog because if we had to work with each other, I would have to come to your studio.
Speaker 1: You would have to come to my studio. We have to bring an eight inch rail what was it called?
Speaker 2: And when you were listening, So I always say that, and I kind of like sound like the older dude in the room when I say that ship, because I'm like, yo, the music sounds better because we had we we like, if we didn't like each other, you would hear that ship on the record like we were there, like all that music. When people say that it's the great Erawell Golden era, guess what that music was made with you and the producer in the room together, as opposed to right now.
Speaker 1: It's like, if I have to persist something to a soundtrack, you could just you could just you could send it to me. I'm me and you have never even met, and I'm laying the verse. You don't really co sign my verse. You gotta check, I gotta check, and we both just like fucking like it's like whatever, that wasn't like that, And I'm sorry to sound like the older guy in the room. Sorry, I know how back because we say back in my day and I don't mean it. I don't mean it like that. But what I'm trying to tell you is like when, but now we can look at the people that said that and understand why they said back in understand But these classic records that like listen, like again, we're looking at your disography and it just keeps going and I cannot see these records being produced without you in the room, with these people making it. You have you had to be like like I like and.
Speaker 2: Then I'm like, I'm like, you said something earlier and we're gonna get back to quick time of slant, but you said something earlier.
Speaker 1: It was like these guys don't have a.
Speaker 2: Sound, but they have a sound like so like you were just talking about Timbaland and Pharrell, right, and I relate that to like DJ Premier, like things like that, Jermi, you can you can you can say that's a sound for d J p May, but then DJ May would do something for Christina Aguilera and you'll be like, I don't see I don't hear him doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like, so that's the same thing with you, like like you can work with anybody, Like is that something that you did deliberately?
Speaker 1: I was sort of like how Mike Tyson say, I will fight anybody. I would work with anybody. I work with Tom Jones. It's not unusual, well to be love. I worked with him. I work with Billy Ocean. I work with Bobby Brown. Bobby Brown, but that's not my personal that's not my alley. Yeah, but not a Billy Ocean, not a Jane Child, right, don't want to fall in love trying to turn to pop record, pop rock record black you know what I'm saying, Like it was nothing and she she's a white girl, she's Caucasian. I'm like, there's nothing about that record. The remix I was, I was, that was I was getting my money up because I was broke. That's when I left Jane. He took everything, like you know, like Kelly's manager, you know, when he took everything. I was stuck with twenty dollars in a platinum American Express that was given to me by one of the group members. I signed and I was joking that card and she gave me the card and she said, you're gonna need it. I ain't know what I was gonna need it for. And shit, I was stuck at the airport with twenty dollars and I called her. I said, I think I'm gonna have to come stay with you until I can get back to get my family. She's like, you remember that car gave you that? She was joking it was a Platinum Americans under her name. No, it's in my name. I was how you say I was under her I'm saying it was her account, but her account. She gave me my own card. That's why you are going to need it. I said, why Whate'm I needed for it? She said, just put it, keep it, do not get rid of it. And I never got rid of that card. And I was at the airport trying to get a ticket with the GR production card that me and Jean. I had two GR cards GR cards and none of them worked. She was like, no, you got another form of payment. It's like, oh, so he knew what I was doing. I was up in New York releasing everybody from their contract. Guy today Tammy Lucas Big Blub his solo contract. Everybody he found out, and that's probably the reason why he was trying to put a contract out my life. So with that being said, that card, it's the only thing I had. And when the car went through, you know, I gave it to the catch the clerk. She took the car and she said, your first class seat. I said, how much is on this card? She said, what do you want on there? I said, what could you do? She said, you want a hundred thousand? I said, yeah, put a hundred thousand. Yeah, go ahead, go ahead, keep the party going. Sad you a life saver. I see you when I come back to New York. And I used that card to get my family back and actually move into a place because I was like, yo, it's to pack for me, my daughter and my fiance at the time to move back into the projects. So we were there for a week and that's when I moved to Biggie's old place with the elevator that goes straight up to the bed. And heard about that. So back to who was Yeah, because I'm a little caught up right now that we were great smell juices, the berries you get the berries going everywhere. We're still quick time. So okay, okay, ready Rich Porter or as rich Porter, it should have been rich Porter. Yeah that's what you should have said. And then I was still gave you the same result. But a Z and Rich Porter was like the guys A Z was really the ones like, yeah, we can't let him hustle with us. So yeah, you said you okay, all right, come only realized buddy Corn, come on back, Heavy Deer, Big Daddy came, come on, y'all, we got the shot. We gotta shot shot. You an't gotta take a shot. We take the chat. You don't have to. And I'm sorry, I'm breaking a little little thing. Do we realize how dope Heavy d was though, like what like my best friend? But Big Daddy came, was like that's my guy, man. Yeah, no, no, both both. I'm saying both, but you gotta say both again. We're gonna drive. You know, we see Chap pull up in the spread now we see ye, we know we know you driving here right here.
Speaker 2: Oh come back to my Yeah, and obviously you know Kaine, I'm not comparing them the both, but what I was saying it was like I just like again, I'm going back into hip hop and I'm going on listening back to the and when I'm listening to Heavy d I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, holy shit. You know how ahead of the time he was like holy In a lot of ways, He's like, let me say this heavy head in the old soul like I would do records for Heavy. I would play records for heavy and it will be for like Rex and Effect. Wow, And I don't know. He's so smooth man. The dude would persuade me, like you know that this song belongs to me? It was isn't good to you? What's heavy? He said, you gotta give me this. This was a Rex and Effect record. Gotta give me this tag. Come on, man, come on, you gotta do this. Man. I was like, heavy, Man, you're a bully. He's like, no, I'm not. I say, you know what, I'm promote you being a bully around people, because you really buy. He bullied me out of is it good to you? He bullied me out of we got our own thing. I was watching the fact record and now that we found love. And every time he came to my house or he came down to Virginia, he came to Virginia. He was trying to steal no Diggity. I played no diggity because I always played every is my best friend. Let me tell you something. He was trying to rap on and he's like, yo, could I get on it? At least? I was like, no, this one here, you cannot have. I'm keeping this one for myself. And he's like, all right, you, I got to tell Jimmy about this record. He was the one that convinced Jimmy this is the single because Jimmy wanted money can buy Me Love as a single. And I said, Jimmy, you sure you can't tell Jimmy, Yo, this is the single, Jimmy, unless you should Knight or somebody. I was just you know, I know, I shot him the humblest Jimmy play it for somebody so heavy, you know, usually stopped by Jimmy's And what put the icing on the cake? And we're going back to analog. What put the icing on the cake? Was Doctor Trey heard it. He said, listen Teddy Rolly's no record and Dre heard the joint and Drey was like, YO, tell ted when you do this record, I want to be in the video, saying when you do the record. He wants to be in a video, I said, Jimmy. I said, yeah, this is Jimmy.
Speaker 2: That's a great impression because I know everybody else didn't catch.
Speaker 1: It on so check it. I said, you tell Dre. Tell Dre. If he gave me sixteen, we could do this together, right, And that's how I got sixteen. And we did it analog. You know how they got it to me within twenty four hours ISD n oh oh the mail service, yes, okay, okay, So but you know how it worked. You know, actual headquarters was move No, it was in was it was again somewhere Innneapolis? Yeah, just like one place. You shoot it to them. Yeah, and you're playing it over the phone. You have to have the machine to the rack. You had to have that, and you that goes over the phone, plugged the phone through it and it plays it straight to them and then it goes to California or wherever you wanted to go. But they were the headquarters to get music sent at high quality better than digital. Wow. And this is back then nineteen ninety four when we worked on that song, and that's what convinced Jimmy and it became Jimmy's favorite song, God damn It and me and they we were together about a week and a half ago. You and Jimmy, Jimmy Andre with my phone, my phone, we want to see it. So, yeah, we were together doing Vinyl Night. You gotta do Vinyl Night with them? Okay? What is Vinyl Night? That they got the vinyl and they playing your records, all your records. So they had Paul McCartney playing all the Beatles records and it's crazy, just the high density, you know, it's like wow. So so we're sitting there and we're playing me and Dre is just joking about how and the story is consistent, like Jimmy talking about it, and it was like, yeah, that's like almost a documentary, you know what I really feel like if what was the documentary that they did was the chronicles with jim Jimmy, I V and Dre what it was. But I thought that Jimmy, because y'all know Jimmy was a producer, right, Okay, that's what the topic. Yeah, well and that's what I'm sorry, what is the Defiant? I thought it should be more defiant ones and I'm gonna show y'all something. But let me show y'all us first, like right all night. It was amazing. I'll never I don't post our pictures like that's the stuff you keep sacred, you know, because you won't find like this is that was a billion dollars in the room. Billion dollars. But I don't know if you know you're very famous, you know you're very famous, you have to I'm almost almost almost okay.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take a shop for that. Sorry that the people that was in the room there you go, God damn it. I feel poor already. That is that Larry Jackson, doctor Dre, you and Jimmy. I mean that is let me see, let me pass around the room.
Speaker 1: That is how you how do you say money? Never want to say money around the world. He might put his number in there. They may not believe it. You know, some people don't believe yo. I was, yeah, I don't think around. I'll show you trust everybody. But when that happened, I felt like Jimmy could actually do a series of the Fine Ones easily. That's a great idea. And I was going to break the idea to him while we was at the house, but we was just having so much fun doing the final that it was so it was so listen to him. It was so special, like I want to be. I was so tired of my music. I was like, yo, play an l a read song, man, play play Dre song and it was like, no, tonight is your night, bro. I was like wow, And that was so special. Oh, you know, I felt amazed, you know, because I ain't talked to Jimmy in a while, because I kind of it's moving around. After losing my mom, I kind of went dormant. You know, you gotta go away, come back. I moved from Vegas, so I said, man, I felt like Vegas, you know, took my mother out of here. But you know, I just moved anyway. And I said, you know, let me go to Texas for a minute. Now I'm here, I'm like, let's buy a healthy baby, you know that that type of stuff I like to do. When I went to Virginia, I just set up shop and just move. But I'm gonna say this, when you got good friends, you got good people like that, you gotta really like those are the people that you keep. Those are the corners. I know, corners is it's not circles, it's corners. And I had to get rid of the circles. That's why you know, I'm not solo. I got a new team, but I just had to get away from the blessing blockers. You know, sometimes what's for you is from you, I said, blockers. I've never heard. That's crazy. What's for you for you? You know? And I've always I held I've been so patient to tell my truth, which is why I have the book now and you can see everything in there and all the people that I work with. One person that's not in there that you know, I felt. I wish he was, but because of the circumstances and I'm dealing with the corporate wall, they told me to pull it. And that's my brother Diddy, you know. I mean, I've never you know, witness or anything. I never experienced nothing, I know nothing. All I know is he was my in turn. And I only been to one event, which was when he got a star in Hollywood because it said Harlem to Hollywood. So I hope it's okay to talk about this. Of course, of course we we we we were the same way. We've never not witnessed that. Yeah, when they told me. It's just like, yo, this is very you know, it's disappointing, you know, but it is what it is, you know. But I have to say, man, it's it's a lot that we are not subject to. And we we go through stuff, and and I wish I could have caught it because I catch a lot, and I catch a lot of my brothers and my little brothers. But you know, sometimes the little brother feels like he's the big brother. Mm hm. You gotta let him become the big brother, you know. But I was, I was in there, I was out of there, in there, out of there. So let's do the game. Okay. I ain't so.
Speaker 2: Attracted off Keep Sweat or Christopher Williams.
Speaker 1: These guys come on with it. Who did Dominican in the Columbia? Okay? I understand. Okay, Well I have to say Keith Sweat. And why I say Keith Sweat because not because I work with it and not because of uh, we're brothers. I say Keith Sweat even if we wasn't brothers. Keith Sweat is a signature, right, Keith Sweat created a signature. See, it's a difference like when I created New Jack Swing. It's my signature. Christopher Williams. You know he didn't have a signature. He had a voice like Teddy Pendergrass or Colonel Abrams. You know that's that's not creating a signature. Nothing against him because he's a dope singer and he's my boy. It's my brother. But Keith, you know his records, you know that's him, and that's something you can't take away from a pressure, just like you know it's Bobby. I create signatures when I made them, saying they walked out of the studio. Both of them walked out of the studio on me. Bobby and I got into a little small argument. I don't argue. You don't let you argue. I don't argue. I just say, yo, we don't have to do this shit and keep it moving. And then he walked out. He's like, okay, eort he walked out, Bobby. Yeah, we did over the projects we did. I did. I did my progative on the twelfth track. Okay, it was like a mixtake and they couldn't create or reproduce the sound. So I had to take my twelfth track to the student video to keep the sound right. And I'm gonna stick. You know, I'm like, that's like I have to have the same sound. My ear was so keen to having the same sound. When I try to re record it at Access Studios and it's like, this don't sound like the house I need to create. I needed to crime me. So I bought that dog on, put that thing in the car. We took it down. We just dropped it. You know about writing cold and generating new Cold, Yeah, absolutely, But I want to ask one thing. No, but we had to create new COLDE in order for me to sync my drum machine or anything up to the actual Akai to the twenty four track. Oh my god. Yes, when we did that, everything turned out perfect. Now it's time to sing. Okay. We got in the studio started, I had to track up and everything. Next thing, you know, let's go yeah boom doom from boom boom doom boom, Yeah boom boom boom boom boom. Get busy. Everything is good. Right now it's time to sing. They say I'm crazy. I really don't care. He was singing it not like the record. I said stop.
Speaker 2: Stop, okay, see he pre recorded it on the other track. You're saying, no, we were practicing okay. We never put the vocal down at the house. The music was down, okay.
Speaker 1: When we got to the studio, we we had this is like, okay, you're good, all right, let's take it to the studio. So we took it to the studio and he's singing it different. Next thing you know, I said, stop, bo, you ain't singing it like how you was doing it at the house. Man, I don't forget nothing, he said, who's talking to I told you. I was just like, yo, I mean, I'm just saying. He's like calling at me. I'm like, I'm just saying, man, you ain't singing and like how you did it at the house. Now come on, man, he said, you know who I am. I mean girl next door. I make hits. Just how you started flexing. I was like, you know, we don't have to do this. He said, fuck it. Damn. He left the studio and then the air and all called me apologize. He was just like, yo, please don't leave the studio. I'm about to go home. I don't I don't have to do this. He said, man, just give me a chance. Let me call him, and they called him and said, yo, if you don't get your ass back in the studio. We gonna can your album. If you got records from Babyfacing La some icons and then this is an icon. He's just not a He's not a kid, right, He's an icon. Get back in the studio. He came back to the studio, and you know how we used we try to get the last word. It's like, all right, we're gonna do this shit and if it don't go my weight, if it don't go the way you say, we're gonna do it my way. I said, okay, he said all right, let's go. I said, let's go. He said, all right, let him get the last word. He got in that room and sung it all the way up to the second verse, and he stopped. He came in the room. He said, I want to I want to hear it. Okay, So he had the demo face like he didn't want to give no type of emotions or nothing. He's just at that moment he didn't like me. So I was like, let's play the record. They say I'm crazy. I really don't care. Got all the way to the second verse, he said, I am going back in the room. He went back in the room. Next thing, you know, my name was said. I said, yeah, no, nigga like it. Now I know he like it because my name wouldn't be in there. Twice we became best friends for that, he became brothers, you know. And and that's how being a producer is like being a shrink, you know what I'm saying. Being you know, you got to convince the person that the medicine is good, trust the process, and I know we all go to it for everybody we go through it. That is, I've never heard it broke. Our job is to make you better than you thought, you know, like you think you got all you and then you didn't realize that I didn't know. I can go even more. And that's what I did with Bobby.
Speaker 2: That's that's you know, that's my barogative could have possibly not been made had he not came back to that.
Speaker 1: But I feel that the way he probably approached the record after that added to the record because man, he sung that bridge. I had one take on the bridge. He ain't had to punch nothing or nothing. He was so hypper. When you feel good about a record, you're gonna do. You're gonna make that record fire. You're gonna do the best and that's what he did, Bobby. When he got something, he got it. He would you one take. Because he's a he's a performer, and what he does on the stage, he put it in the studio. And that's the thing that I love about him. I'll tell you another one take, guys. Johnny Kemp just got paid. Was never sung twice Friday. That dude killed that record. Now, Keith Sweat, he didn't walk out of the studio. I mean, he was just hard. It was hard for him because I was I was young. It was hard for him to take the advice from me, like you know, and I had to say, this is your sound, this is your signature. And then he finally got it after listening to you know himself singing all the way down. He got it, you know. And most singers are like that, you know, when you kind of guide them. That's our job is to give you guidance. And most people don't want guidance m hm, right, especially an artists and artists, Yeah, because we have to tap into ego. That's the thing about artistry. You have to tap into your ego. And the ego is the one that exactly you ever noticed some of them artists after their first album, they become the producer. It's like, yeah, I'm producing everything. What happened to Timberlan? What happened for Well, that's who got you there. But most times, you know, you get these producers like that, and I mean these artists like that, and they want to now be the leader. You think they got it, find out that I should have listened. What's the next? Next one? Yeah, Mason can that's hard on Ship, Cameron or Mace. I gotta stay out of this one drinking. Let me get, let me get, let me get it. I pleaded the fifth drink, so we drink it. Yeah, yeah, Solu, next one. I know, people thinking, yo, he ain't drinking nothing, but I don't even know what he's drinking over there, moscatta. Yeah. I like wine because it mellows me, you know, and I don't only do it sometimes. I waited. Last time I drunk wine was maybe well three four months ago. I'm not a drinker, so I decided, you know, I didn't want to be a party pool boy. You know, this would have been great with or without you drinking. Okay, so you know, like that wasn't but it mellows me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'll get in the studio and just you know, wife, he would be like, yo, you want to try some wine, And I'll be like, let's get it by time. Yeah, little face, Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis you better get I'm getting drinking. Look, I know, I know. I know where y'all getting to. Though, I know where y'all getting to. And with a little bit of soual water the same way you did. I like that. I got the vodka with a little bit of sal water. You know what I mean. You know a little bit of balance. Let's go balance it balance. I don't a little bit ahead? You got more? He holding it down. I ain't gonna know now. I seen you tips before. I'll tell you good. You're good. What's your name? You want to get shy? Oh? Come on, but I gotta I got I'm not drinking no more. That's crazy, I have to say, even though these are my guys, but I'm gotta be you, Sonny. Look you see him. I'm gonna pick. I'm gonna pick one, and I'll tell you why I picked that one. I picked shy mm hmm. Yeah. I picked Shy because I just had a performance with them them some singing fools without no music. They are singing fools. And I realized that, you know, this sound to me was like up the alley of you know boys, demen takes. You know, that harmony was lush, you know, like I love harmonies like old school do old school dop, barbershop, you know vocals. So when I first heard the If I Ever Fall in Love Again Wild record, that record is that's a problem. But High five is a problem with Tony mm hmm. When he passed, it changed. But we put them back together and they are there. You when you hear the new High five record, you're gonna be amazed. But I have to give it to Shay right now because they're together, they rocking. Okay, this is this this I din't see your phone exactly what say new edition or Jackson five? See? So so what happened was your criteria is remember this is what I have to say to Jackson five, okay, because they wouldn't be there wouldn't be no new addition without the Jackson five and the Jackson five. When I work with the Jackson's and Michael, I work with them all and we did twenty three hundred Jackson Street and they were I'm sorry, you give me this doesn't happen. But their harmonies, their harmonies are amazing, and but just to be it's like going to like my first year of college working with the Jackson's and having everybody Theyah janet Re LaToya being in the presence of what's the props name? I got it? What was the name? Jo? Joe? Joe wasn't there. We didn't allow Joe to be. Michael was like, he's a meaning. That's Michael, Michael. He's a meaning to take his calls exactly like Michael would say that. I was like, why father, Yeah, he's a meaning. He's a meaning. I know what he wants. I know exactly what he wants. Michael used to correct bel. He'd be like, no, don't take that call. The only person can call me is mother Catherine. Holy shit, his mother. Oh no, I got to ask you. I just found this record today. I want to see if you know this record. Yeah, no, I've never seen this. I don't know if this is someone produced this. Have you ever seen this record? Yes, I've seen this record before one day and this is what are you thinking? It's Michael Jackson that really didn't go anywhere back in the days. But but yeah, I've never seen and I've seen that record before and I've heard that record, but it really never did anything. I'm reading the Dragon, I'm like, I've never heard none of these records. But what the is going on here? It was that he did on that was before Off the Wall Wow, right before it, I think right before it look at the you you got to cut it was it was yeah, Wow, before I did that. That's when they were testing his solo career, the Jackson five. Right after Jackson Jackson five. This is a secret Michael album and no one knows about it. I mean no, it was you know how how you say they didn't want people to know that record? Oh wow? You know, because when Off the Wall came. You know, it's like when you're trying to put out something really taking artists to the next level. It's almost like when when L. A. Reed put out Usher's album and he put out the wrong single and he pulled it back and then put out Confessions. The same thing with you remind me No, yeah, Rusher Usher, I think no, you would understand more like the first Mob Deep album versus the understand My damn understand that was really und it. That was on track.
Speaker 2: That's larious, but okay, I'm gonna keep it going, like all right, ooh, this is a good one. Nineties or two thousands, R and B nineties, nineties right nineties babies made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was more baby making and music with substance. You got music with substance, like two thousands started getting into the plastic and the music that wasn't didn't have the stay in power. You can hear record in two thousand today you'd be like, damn, I forgot about that record. What you hear record in the nineties, it's like, yo, put that joint back on. That's the final And.
Speaker 2: It's kind of timeless because if a person didn't hear that record, they'll listen to that thing and that it's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Most music in two thousand was black and white, right. The music back in the nineties was colorful. Yeah, I agree, it had different colors to it. Like I agree with that, Like when when when Guy came out, it made it cool for dudes to wear gators again and put on colors, and you know, you wasn't being scrutinized when boys and men did those records. You know you felt great, you know, going to the club with your girl. These are records that stood the test of time and still bumping right now. Yep, even one twelve Features and Cream. You know, you remember the name of the song in the nineties. You don't remember what song you remember in two thousand besides you know me mean anybody? Yeah, huh what was that? That was ninety nine? Yeah, that was ninety nine that he just made it. So, Okay, there's a good one. S w V or Escape. Nothing against Escape, and not because I work with s WV. But I'm gonna please the fifth. Okay, we're drinking. I'm we're gonna drink. I'm drinking my wine over here. I had wine over here and wine over here. It was like this is this is this? Can I think this next one? Go ahead? Okay?
Speaker 2: Lauren Hill or Eric Abadu mm hmm, Lauryn Hill, Ladies and gentlemen, that was very easy for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was because lawn Hill had They both have signatures. They both have signatures. I just think that lawn Hill had the big records. You know, she she had the records that made you it's like wow. And then she had the bounce records you know, no, no, yeah, she had those records, even though Erica Badu had the pumping records. But for me, I felt like she didn't have like like you could take h Lawn Hill to the clubs, to the picnic and to the wedding. Thank you Wait do you say that again? I'm sorry. You can take Lauryn Hill to the club, to the picnic and the wedding, right and the wedding, the wedding, Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you could take Eric about dude there too, and you can take out of the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the instance in the incense. Yeah, let's be boy. She got her. Yeah, we love you can. We had her on. We looked. She blew it down. Man, she made it so all of us. She made you. We smell like good like yes, yes, and we've been by out ever since. But yes we've been. We were so yeah, so big up to Eric and Lauren Hill. Yeah, Lauren here.
Speaker 2: We definitely want to give Lauren Hill her flowers as so big them both up.
Speaker 1: Then. I think that was a great comparison. You want to go to the next one. Now this was you, This is actually okay, all right, hold on, let me look at it. Okay, all right, this relates to you too. Okay, that's crazy, that's just it's very true. I'm like one of the first people to work with both of Tammy Lucas or Kalise Wow. It would be Kalise Wow, you know, because she had Caalise is an artist. Tammy was the writer, that's what, and she had the background vocals of life. Caalise was just the artist and you know, she wrote some of us stuff. I don't know how much of it m but I felt like it would be Kalise because she was out there more. Tammy was the hidden jewel and still is like I don't notice, she doesn't notice to this day. Uh. We wanted to get her for my video. We couldn't find her like I'm Tammy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we couldn't find her Like I mean, I was in our e I was probably just thinking about I was just coming up. It's my first hit, it's my first global hit. So I was probably like, couldn't get up, and it was just like we can't reach her, and then I just like probably get going. But it was always like something and what I heard is that she wanted to be a background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she wanted to be in one front. Well, she did have a That's how Tammy Lucas and I met actually reached out to her because I loved her record. Her first single was like it was a club banger. Oh wow. And then we just started making records and you know, Tammy wrote Goodbye Love. Wow. I did not know that. Yeah, yeah, she wrote Goodbye Love. She wrote Joy for Michael Jackson and then we wound up giving it to h to uh Black Street. She also wrote Tonight's to Night for Black Streets. Tammy's is sick. Now, if you're talking about on the writing level, I would pick Timmy. Yeah, okay, this is so dope or follow MC. We're preparing, we're not trying to drink. But it's because you know, he's one of the one of the most educated rappers. You know, this is one comod got his master his degree. Like d is a book smart, Like he can tell you any and everything about anything. And that's why I worked with him because it was nothing that like he never said things. Twice I was he's real m C. We need over here. So him and Chuck Rock, yeah and Father Rock. I spoke to him for like two seconds. He's a party guy, don't. I wouldn't say he's educated like rapper right right? He brought you to the rolls skating wing, to the club, you know, to the picnic you know, but would bring you there. He was spending, was trying to spend, bring you to the hip hop parties and make you believe everything he said. Yeah, Aaron Harror, Timmy Gatling, that was awkward. Was it supposed to be Aaron Hall? R Kelly? Yeah, that's but it was supposed to be that these guys, right, it will be Aaron Hall. Yeah. Timmy Gatlin was a great writer, it still is. But Timmy wasn't like a singer to me. Timmy was like like me, you know, get in where you fit in, right and get out because when it comes to blowing, Arra Hall was singing the lights off back then.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let me ask you now, let me switch the conversation. Made the conversations Aaron Hall or Kelly? What do you think Kelly?
Speaker 1: All day? Kelly? It would be all Kelly because Kelly, first of all, you messing with a signature or Kelly doesn't sound like Arma Hall. Everybody keeps saying it and I'm just gonna give you the will. He never sounded like R Kelly, didn't sound like anybody. Yeah, he sounded like himself. He had one of the smoothest voices that will put you in the ring, the like Donnie Hathaway. That was his Like R Kelly created his signature like Donny Hathaway logic or pro tools logic. Do you know I'm the first logic user? Real? Yeah, very first. I used logic on our Tari Comodore. I did remember the time. On our Tari Comodore. It wasn't called logic. It was called notator, and then it went from notator to notator logic, and then they just took the notata out and called it logic. When it went to Macintosh. Before Apple, it was called Macintosh crazy. So you know that computer. All you've seen was this when you play tetric song and Michael Jackson joked, my damn computer. He made me buy multi He's like, is this saying does it work? What is no? First of all, what do you say? What is that? Because I had it on the laptop, He's like, what is that? I was like, that's when I make my music, he said, He said, I mean, is it good, Like how long you had it? Like I had it for some time now, you know. He said where should you buy it? Like? I bought it. My guys you know, cooked me up with it and I bought it. Can you buy more? Like I think we need more? I truly think so so that we'll never go down down just like this? Can you mean? Michael? He's like, normal, can you take take the model number and buy more, you know, in case so we never go down. It's like, okay, you know it is in the book where can I asked you? Did you just say Atari Atari? Commodore computer had their computer, they had had their own and logic was on there. Yeah, yeah, before everybody that's triple computer ship. Yeah yeah, definitely. It's like one point. Oh so the visual version before that, I think you hitting the block. I used to play that on my downtime kids. Oh my god, before analogue. It's like there was no sound coming out of it. You know. That was just the MIDI. That's why I was called Notata because it's just MIDI. And then I would use to MP. That's when I had MPs. I used to MP. It would basically I'll played my drum machine all of that stuff through it, and all my keyboards would be MIDTI. And I have a lot of producers would know this. It's called eat magic. It was the medi and I midty all my keyboards to the computer, which is basically MIDI is like sinking all the differ stuff together. But I'm also the first on pro tools as well. Oh shit, you know why? Well, for pro toos there was sound Tools, and sound Tools was only two tracks, and then it graduated to four tracks. And then that's when digit Design made it. You know, I was the first indorser. I was on I don't know if anybody ever seen the eight eight eights. That was the first interface, the very first, and uh I had an endorsement. I was the first endorsement with them. Wow. Yeah. So but between the two, I like Logic because Logic you can have custom key commands. Choose no custom key commands, so you gotta it's almost like slavery. You have to use their key commands. You have to do it their way, you know. I couldn't when when Logic had the custom key commands, I was like freedom, All right, clips are outcasts. God, let's start drinking drink. I'll drink to that one, let me say yes, congratulations to the nephews and yeah, but I have to say both of them problems. They they're amazing.
Speaker 2: I text push your tea and I text for real, uh, although I'm not from Yeah, I felt I felt like they win was my win as well, Like when I got to see like for real win and then the Clips win at the same night and Clips being Clips, they didn't compromise, they didn't like, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, Like, they didn't change. They was like, so I text person myself and I was just like.
Speaker 2: Yo, bro, I just want you to know that's my win too, Like I won that ship too, exactly, and I text for real the same ship, but in like in a different language because I didn't want to send them the same ext want to copy and paste, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying. So but I look and that ship was like that, you know, I want to pick them up. I want to big hip.
Speaker 2: Hop up and like and then we actually think of that like now, like you know, uh, we had Virgil, you know, we had Yay and we got fucking you know for real as the fucking fucking LVMH. I haven't got my my friends and family package. It's okay, it's okay, it's we need okay, I want everything.
Speaker 1: I buy everything myself money as well. When you think about what hip hop.
Speaker 2: When you think about that Biggie line, do you think that hip hop was making this wall and that ship is crazy?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: That's huge. That's that's a signature. Like that's a slog. That should be a a dog on billboard. It should be billboards like that's just stage everywhere, everywhere everything that make it on hip What hip Hop's fiftieth birthday? That should have been on every billboard. Yes, nobody put it up there. True.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's real. That's real, that's real. I still got goosebump. Yeah, we got, we got ready time you got more? N PC sixty, that's p m PC sixty. Straight producer question. That's a straight producer question. Yeah, definitely, this was for you man. Okay question Wait, okay, wait, damn okay, it's a car question. A right BMW M three or the bens g.
Speaker 1: T coop GT coop gt coop. Yeah, okay. New Jack City or King of New York Jack One, New Jack City or King of New York Jack City. You're in New Jack City, New Jack City for sure, super producer. Question here Rolling V since or Yamaha motif? What do you know? I have about how many? Babe? I got about five or six Rolling V since they discontinued. So I buy them all every time I see when I buy it because it's my sound, right, the sound on that that's what you see me playing every on stage if y'all had one. Here, I was at the radio station. We did a Q and a book signing and and we were doing questions and I would play the records and they were like, so I played remember the time on it? Right? It was like it sounds like the record. I said, yeah, this is, but that's when I did it. You re played it over for the play. Oh wow, that's fire, And right in front of everyone was like wow. They didn't understand, like, where's the music coming from in the mic? And I'm and it's coming out of the keyboard. It's like, so yeah, next time. However, every every beat that he mimicked, it sounds exactly like yeah, it's like a beat box when you did the records. You know, you know when you make these records. At least I know the music. A lot of my songs I don't because didn't Michael do that. Didn't He used to sound out records like melodies and stuff. Man. I remember We're in a room actually making a joint with a dog upright piano and him doing the beat box, and I was like, how am I gonna convince him? Like with a damn upright But he had imagination because he's like, no drum machines, no nothing. You take the piano and I have this idea. Check it out. It goes like this, you're telling me Michael had to beat box. No, no, no, He's be boxing that regularly. And I was like, what am I going to do to that? My mind went to James Brown. He was James Brown, so I went so put that she's just so and he's making this. We're making this on a dog on upright piano. It's like this dude's taking me through college right now, because I ain't never made no reight nothing, creating anything on an upright piano. You do that in church, you know. But that's the way he worked spoons and washed you know. Yo, he's straight from the old days. Like that's the way he makes music. Crazy. Look at we're almost done. Jugie Fresh or slick Rick. That's that's drinking. That's some drinking right now. He's like every D like every D make bully man. Yeah, y'all, y'all bullying me, man, that's a that's not a good one. Okay. So this is the last one. The thing about her which is not recogn slick Rick that you would like to say one. Those are my brothers man, and we started out, you know, back in high school. I can't put them against each other. That's like taking that's like putting you against and we don't want to do it exactly. Yeah I would. I'll be get it. Let's drink for them again. Yes, let's drink them the one more time.
Speaker 2: And all right, so this is the last one before we go back into the interview. I bet y'all know it is loyalty or respect.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, wow, No, I don't don't for because I'm gonna take a shot just for leaving it right now. Now. Yeah, yeah, we got we got a celebration shot for him right there. That's all right enough, you're holding it down. He held it down, man, that's right. You are holding up the family name. There it is it is. I am going to I'm going to say, because I spoke about corners and circles, so I would choose I would choose them both. Yeah, so quick job. My reason for picking them both, yes, please please, we need a good release. You can't buy loyalty and you can't buy respect, both of our goal. There's no cost. I don't see why anybody picks one. Yes, exactly, that's for me and him come up with. Really the respect great for loyalty, but I think they go hand in hand. They do. They do, because if you don't have the loyalty and the respect, then you ain't got a corner yep right, just for somebody who's going to do this to you and didn't break out right yep right. You don't want people like that. I had to get rid of them. Well, I had to get away from them. You know. It was kind of when you start entering your fifties, you don't want no headaches or stress. You don't want know nothing, because when you're getting your sixties, you might as well hang it up because you stressed like you're just done and I'm not done yet, you know, just like we know you well said you can be eight or eighty, you can still keep going. You keep going, just keep the stress out. And that's what Quincy said before he passed. He said, you know, what's the one thing that if you had to do it all over again, that you would stay away from him? He said, you know the headaches to stress. You know, let no one stress you. It's difficult now, you know, let no one spoil your joy. And that's the that's the key to life. We're bombarded, bombarded with stress right now. Yes by this too, you know, yeah, that's true. But our show is the freeivency. If the prophecy is is really we want to give your flowers. Man, We want you to know how much you mean to this game, how much like face to face man, the man you said it's better than the grand well on the wall. Let me I just tell you, man, like I A is like I know, I knew, but I didn't know how much you produced.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how much. I was like, holy ship, because I already knew it. But then when you're looking at them like there's no way, I'm like, I know everything about Teddy, but these other records are playing and I'm like, wait a minute. And that goes back to that that signature sound that's my gift that we yeah, I mean you you but and I just want to tell you, face to face, man, the man like man like you. You you gave so much to our culture, you gave so much to us our people.
Speaker 1: You're still giving and you're still giving, and we appreciate you. We love you. We want you to know that your legacy is cemented in Stone. I appreciate it. Man. We were like, no, no, dead serious like you know actually, and I'm gonna take a shot for you. You don't drink that one joint. Okay, okay, I'm starting to hear slurs, but all of our But now let's talk about the book, because.
Speaker 2: Because I'll tell you this, I'll tell you this about about two. You're a very private guy. You're a very private guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, yes, indeed, yes, indeed. I've been in the industry twenty years, damn there, and people.
Speaker 2: You're not a person that people talk about. What I mean by that is like the rumor section. You're not in the rumor section, and you're not.
Speaker 1: You stay out of you stay out of that.
Speaker 2: But then now you're dropping a book. Oh, the book is out the books, it's out right, So what makes you how do you navigate that, like, like, because you're a private I can tell you a private guy, right, how do you live a private.
Speaker 1: Life but then give a book to the world about your life? I just felt this time I had this book twelve years twelve years plus was thirteen okay, thirteen okay? Yeah? How open were you when you very you know, you definitely when you are reading everybody who read it, even now to like my kids, they were like, there's a lot of stuff I did not know in a good way or a bad way. Good like you know, but some bad Like there was some bad things like to me seeing my life before me and stuff like that that you will read about. I never wanted wanted to tell those stories. And then I say, you know what, I'm getting older now, you know, and I must tell my truth. And someone said to me, you better tell your truth and tell your story before they tell it for someone else. Somebody will tell your story. And I say, you know, I got to beat that. You know, we're coming with the TV film and it's even more than this. We come in with the rooftop film. Is we come with a few things that I think people will want to see. This is an old map some things you read in here don't follow it, and some things you're reading here you'll be like, oh, this is how he did that. I'm going to try that. And it's a tool, you know, it's a tool, and at the same time it's a collector's item. Because it's my first book. My next book will probably be a children's book. That's fire and the reason why I want to make a children's book because I always had this imaginary friend when I was young, and my parents used to argue and fight, and I say, you know what, this is my way to get away from it. And my imaginary friend was the music Man. So I'm writing The Music Man. It tells you more about the music that inspired me, and the tree of music that inspired me to create, how I created and what made me do it, and the how tos. So this is not the how to, it's just a world map and what did he do? What did he use? You know, more technical aspect. But the children book, the children book will show them this is what you do. It's almost like reading the manual. But I got two more questions, and let me say, I got two more questions, So it's almost like reading the Manual of life. How to start music or how to start creation. So I think it would be something specially. It would be music behind it, lots of music. But I love that kids music. Okay, So I have two more questions before I go back and as as jay Z or Nas, why did you do that? Went back into the quick time it's slim? Yeah, this is this is crazy. I went back into it. Oh, because well I'm gonna plead the fifth on that. So we got a drink now, Yeah, definitely felt like I wanted to drink anyway. Yeah, yeah, we know that. But okay, now let me tell you. Let me tell you out quick quick quick wick, no cat, no fun fact. Do you know when I was coming up in the studio. When I was coming up in the studio, I was at the studio called power Play, playing queens. Yes, that's exactly. Okay, guess what I made my first record. So I don't know where you're going. My alumni at okay, okay, okay, damn you. My alumni with Nas Nas was and I were at the same studio. He was rapping and starting his you know he wanted to do. I was in the studio working with kids at work, and I was working with Fred mcfalland and Alan George who made somebody Else's Guy, and those guys were teaching me about how to produce. Yeah. Wow, So that was you know, I can't go against Naves now with jay Z. Jay Z, you know, used to come to Virginia and jay Z was the connection to you know, signing Beanie Cigu and all those guys. But they came down to the studio to work with me because I heard Virginia, Virginia. I've ever heard this story that day was supposed to be signed to you and sid y'all need to be with me, not money joking. I don't know how it really came out, but I would I felt like, right now, oh no, But I wasn't. I wasn't ready for them. My thing was I was I was more into the R and B. But my my guys and my family from Philly, they were like, yo, they need to be with you, and I kind of sort of wish I would have signed at least one of them, you know, I think it would have been which one? Which one? You you were Freeway Freeway, Well I can see that and the reason why because Freeway was more like, you know, to me, it's more like Rex in effect, like I could have done some crazy for him, but I was educated too. He was sick when it came to like yo stories and different things like you if.
Speaker 2: You're related to Rex and effects. I could see Beings and Freeway like that. Yeah as that group, because being was more more like yo, being kicks science. It was more like I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love being, like I really like like yeah, so I ain't gonna What I'm trying to say is like what you what you're saying is like if I would have seen them together with that, oh, that would have been crazy, but that would have been another creation of like so you property, did you have the property? Or just that was just me. It was everyone was my brothers, the Bias brothers and guns young guns. Yeah so so so when they brought him down, they all used to come down just to hang with me. And you know when they told free and them, yo, y'all going to see Teddy ally it was like yo, they was excited about it. But when Jay was there, it was like we see the guy like Michael Jackson of rap. You know what I'm saying, Like James did to see you. Yeah, he was we was working on you. Belong to the city. Oh, I'm in there making the beat. So wait, this is happened at that same time. That's crazy. He's gonna be mocking. I ain't see not one paper with the deal. I was like, Sanna jane't write nothing. He didn't write nothing. Everything was just from his head, right, because that's the way he wrote. Right. I'm like, Wow, that's history. So I got I got to work with the Michael Jackson of rap Damn big up? Or should I say to Frank Sinatra, Yeah, the Frank Sinatra Jackson. So if you want to put it, put in perspective, Frank Jackson, Frank Jackson. That's that's that's crazy. You call me Frank Jackson character. The only time I worked with jay Z I worked on the R. Kelly record. It's me R Kelly and me R Kelly, jay Z and Cameron. Wow, did I say this part of the interview? Man safe? It's real ship.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I'm moving on. We write this book. This is the first time you're kind of like, you know what I mean? Everyone knows Teddy is a very protective person. He doesn't is there something in your mind that you say? Okay, I wrote this and now I have to like kind of like, you know, stand behind me. I have to kind of like stand behind it. I have to stand up.
Speaker 1: I stand by everything that's in this book here because it's literally, I would say, three and a half decades of my life, you know. And even like my son's mother, she said, you you owe this. This is the first book. I said, how you know I'm doing the second? She said, because you got you got a lot more than you need to talk about, Like you got a whole lot more. You know, you didn't even talk about what really happened in the business, what happened to you and different things. I said, it's not time for it. Do you think about the era? No, No, I'm talking about respect to her, But I'm talking about that's read part. You know things you just got a hold. You got volumes. Yeah, you got a hold. But my next thing is creating the New Jack Swing Symphony Tour and performance. And it's a whole symphony for I already bought my tickets. Everybody in tuxedos, we come in here. We're gonna use the Miami Symphony Orchestra, and I want to share my music that way. That's dope. And I think it'll be so flying. Then I have the G two point oh, the Guy to point Oh album coming this summer, and yeah, coming back out the new Guy, the New Guy. Yeah literally yeah. But you I wish, I wish, I wish I could have invited to the concert. I would, I would have been there first. We ended it with Franky Beverley. We are one. That's the singers I got. And these these are these are new people. Yeah, these you you know them. You don't know the new Guy. Yeah, these are new people. But you remember. So I just took some all star singers, you know how r L and all of them, they just put like a super group together. I just took some all star singers and created the Woontange Klan of singers. I like that ship. You just got me and I got my Frankie Beverly voice. I have my R. Kelly voice, and I have my Charlie Wilson, and then I have my El DeBarge. So that's that matchup right there. That's a mashup. When you hear the voices, you be like, how did he do it? Like I did a show in Boston and Ronnie de Vogue was there. He called he called my guy. He said, how did Teddy do that? How did he duplicate the voices of Black Street Guy and the guys? He said, he's an architect we respect. So he said, yo, is he going to be Is he going to take that on tour? And I say, ye, I'm gonna take it on tour. I want to take it as my purpose. I didn't want to do the same thing Babyfaced. It was go on tour with the all star singers and people not know who they are. So I just that's why I say, got two point oh. Not taking anything away from Guy because guys original here, you know. But I wanted to stay consistent and I didn't the Black Street thing. I didn't want to do that. The guys are still doing what they're doing, but Aaron and Damien, you know, they're not on the road, and we have to be consistent. I'm tired of my music just sitting dormant and people are not being able to enjoy enjoy it on stage, you know, So now I'm giving them that. People are walking away happy. You know, Dad, this is a great show. I didn't expect that. We just did this Zoolu Ball twenty thousand people headline, and people were amazed, like they didn't know what to expect until we gave them the songs, and it sounds like the music. It's like that. At least he gave us the record. He gave us the album, he gave us the picnic, he gave us the club records. You know. So that's my goal is just to take it on the road. We have a tour coming up, we have over twenty five days and I just want to enjoy the stage again. That's fine.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you with that being said, right, you know, I'm a solo artist and I'm part of a group of part of Pona Noriega, I'm part of Drinks Dream Champions is what we are doing. Are you more comfortable being solo? Are you more comfortable being in the group.
Speaker 1: I'm never solo. I'm not solo now. I'm a team player. I always have to come with a team me. I'm not gonna if you see me solo. I'm doing like an E d M album with Talkbox and you know, Voke quarters and singing records that involved. I don't know. Music is like music is my put me on that. But but I want to make music that that people can really enjoy the music because most people like before hearing lyrics, people like to beat. So that's why I want to give them with the with the vol quoder talk box, just kind of taking you there and and and it's like it would be like ecstasy to them. You know, they just enjoying the music and just going hard. And I just want to be able to do with these DJs, be doing making like I was knowledge, just step in the room with a bunch of lights and ship and you're just playing. Boy. Boris he's a producer right here. Boris rolling the blunts over here. Oh yeah, he was like, is he DJing? He's like, because that's what they do. Now they got to go out and but I used to. I used to. But my thing is coming with the talk box. There's nobody coming like that since that punk, right and now that they retired, I said, yo, let me create something and just see what people feel about it. That's not the same as Roger Troutman was doing. Yeah, that's what I say. I was pasted that touch. You know. Roger actually came to my studio and one thing he said to me, he said, man, you better not stop. He invented that, right? No, No, who did in that? It was invented between I feel like it's between him, but I think it's Peter Frampton. Okay, yeah, because he played it with the guitar. Now Roger played with the guitar, but he also played with the people. It was the idea of using the tube, ye, right, okay, And that's what I do now. And I've got a lot of signature records out there where they know it's me because a lot of a lot of people were playing. They're playing the talk box, but you know it's it's not the sound that I have. Would you consider that analog? That's very analog? No, no, analog. I just lost my train of thought. No, that's not auto tune analog. It's before. You don't think it would No, No, I know it's before, But I'm saying, would you consider that? Could that be a description for it auto rather than I wouldn't even say that. That's disrespectful. Okay, I know it's straight the tube, it's the talk box, the auto tune. You know, I started with the auto tune before a Ta Pain and before Ridey Jerkins. You can look at my testimony when it first came out. They bought it to me to test beta tests, and I was like, I don't want that. I was like, but I used it because I felt like I didn't have to use it like how they're using it. I used it just to keep like it was just too auto tune, yes, like not too like like that, just but it was the same thing. It's just you just turn it up more and you got it sounds like machine in different ways. Yes, And you remember one of the records that you used to and I'll do the Black Street records. The second one. It was to keep the singers on key, not me, because I didn't my my thing wasn't really singing. I was just like rap saying, you know, so I didn't have to stay on key. I just no, Deity was not on key. I was off key. But people they received it, you know. I bought the point across and that made me just say, dak, I could do more because it's almost like Johnny Guitar Watson, it was real mother for you that wasn't on key. So I mothered myself after them. George Clinton definitely not definitely not on key, but no, no, all right, then you had, uh the Boskag. I mean it's not a bad thing. No, it's a great thing because yeah, Bosskag, you know what that is. You got to see that black boy over there running scared. This is on in the bottle. I thought that was on key, No, that was not he. I was in it out. I was in and out. You know. I think, Okay, let's go to t Pain. Incredible singing. Did y'all know that? Absolutely? Yeah? Okay, so and incredible rapper as well. T Pain can sing off key and people will still receive it. Yep. He's just never tried it. M he's never tried it. But I guarantee you because he knows his notes. I know my notes. How I learned how to sing is because I play keys. So if you know what you're playing on here and I play by ear. If you got to ear for keys, you gotta ear for a voice. You just gotta have a voice. Oh you got to have a sound and you could play your voice. Is what happens in that mode, which gives you a lot of freedom in your voice, like to do things, trust be created. I felt like when I played when I played vot quarters. Now it's two different things. Voe quarterer. You can play chords, and that's how you hear, like all of the background on Black Street and on it, that's full quarter. All of those harmonies that's folk, that's full quarter. But the talkbox is single. But you can also played chords with the talkbox. Kind of feels a little distorted because it's a mono, but it's better to play it as a solo. You you get the sound out of it.
Speaker 2: So let me let me ask you, right, Because we had nas on hair and I asked nods. I said, is there anybody that ever told you no?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I feel like you're You're a person that I don't think anyone can tell no to it.
Speaker 1: You're lying. I've been told no? Okay have you if you were like sure? Who who has told you no? I don't think no one can tell you? Who told me I'm gonna put on Front Street too? Should I take a shot? Versa shot? Shot? Mean? Yes, I think I'm smooth enough to say this, okay, go ahead. Barry Wise told me no, very Wise. But that's an executive. Yeah, that's the people to tell you no. Oh my damn. Those are the people to tell you. Man. It's like you you disappointed, like I thought I had something. He said, no, the guy right, I wasn't ready I put them on Front Street. I wasn't just saying a lot of record company executives don't have the air, okay, I mean they just got the business sense. Has there ever been an artist who told you know, no, no, not that, not that I know, because I mean mostly just when they get in the room, like who would tell for well no, I kind of told him no one time. I remember, you did learn, but let's tell you off.
Speaker 2: But let me actually, so when I recognized that now, I said that Prince told him no because he didn't own his own publishing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Has anybody ever said, because and you just you just you just said to us, out of twenty three years, you just now own your own publishing.
Speaker 1: Has there anybody that ever thirty five years? Thirty five years? Damn, damn, I put the twist of a version, you know, thirty five years. So that goes with publishing and with owning of the masters? Yeah, well yeah, I got I got seven other masters in my vault right now. Masters. And guess who gave it to me? It was actually at the studio, the first studio I did guy, I had about six to seven hundred twenty four tracks, and I have to give flowers to two people. And that's chub Rock, who gave me a lot of mine. Man ear, he gave me a lot of my plaques and stuff back and Salammy, Salam, bigger salam. He gave me my dog on masters, all seven hundred and something. I seen this stuff, man, I couldn't even get it in the I thought I could get a small story, she said. He said, no, you're gonna need cause your tapes was most of the studio. Wow. Okay, hold on, hold on, hold on chub Rock and Salammy. No, this is that Chubb gave me like my plaques, So I gave your pla So I guess what he's trying to say is why are they holding them right? No? They well, you know, Slim bought the studio like he bought the studio that I did. The guy out bought the automatically the masters. No, they were there. It was just just trying to return them back to the original. Wow, and I was upstanding, so fuck you know, Slam said to me. He said, first of all, I got something special to tell you, but I also got this to tell you you remember the little boy that was actually in the studio while he was making Groove Me and I like and all of those records, and it was the little kid. And you remember my father used to bring me to the studio. I said, you was that little kid?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: That that that is the fuck? This slom with the little kid that was in the studio while I was making I like in all those records at seventeen, eighteen, nineteen years old, and now he became a super producer. Straight to that, trying to give you your flowers, Salon Reamy. He should be on here, no family, Yeah, he should be on here. You're right. He got so much man, so much history. Man, he's would be I just feel so honded to be a part of it, you know, because he goes back, Yeah, he go back. That is so dope. You want to read this question in case they sentenced person. I don't know. It seems like sonny, I don't know. You want me to read it? Just I just don't want it. I just feel like I feel like they they attacked me. You're not even gonna correct anything. Is it true that he did the winning Houston step by step record? Yeah? He did it. Yes, I did the remix because they couldn't read it. For some reason, it became the RCT it. Oh, it became the main record. You know. Of course people get say, you get a certain amount to do a song, and then you get certain amount to do a remix. They called the remix, so they have to pay.
Speaker 4: And they.
Speaker 1: That way, they wound up turning the record, the remix, the record. It's amazing, It's okay, it's okay, I take it. I don't like know these questions, worry. This is amazing as an artist. Ever made you cry in the studio? What? Yeah? No, I made artists cry? Okay, let's do that. Let's follow up? And who did you make cry? Follow up? And say it in the Michael Jackson voice? Okay, scary spice, that's not the Michael jack the voices scary girls. Yes, okay, what's happening? I didn't mean you. But when you kind of tell all this, you know you ain't singing it right? You guys sing you know what you say? She's like, can you give me a minute to cry? I was like, whoa? I didn't know what to say, you know, like she was the first and then the second second was a K pop artist. Her name was Tiffany Is Tiffany Tiffany from Yeah from Korea Girls Girls Generation. It was no, no, let me tell you something. I love Korea because I love them for that. And then do you know about the birthdays? Like their birthday is different than ours? Like the birthdays you won when you come up? I was like, what you won when you come out of the womb. That makes sense to me. I just told my son that. I said, Yo, you really chill. Yeah right, because when you came out, you was one right, I got to my whole family. No Korea and then another thing. So when they go to school, they go to school. They go to school from eight to eight, yeah, and they learn algebra, they learn everything, and then rocket science some of them. That's why they got so many K pop artists because most of them don't want to be in school all those hours, so they chose music. That's their career. That's yeah, that's the other curriculum is music, and that's how they became K pop artists. Because we don't want to go to school all day. Because some of them go to school all day and then it's mandatory. At nineteen, they got to go to the army mandatory. No, no, they don't take no fin answer, you don't go. You're going to jail American something. We ain't doing that ship. Yeah, what's the other man in the question. Okay, Little Kim and Foxy Brown? Damn you had a Foxy Brown record? That record is ill too, man, Thank you. I did that record for a dollar, you know why? But blackets on the record as well. Yeah, I mean no, I did it for a dollar, right, because my fee would have been you know, but I did it for a dollar. And the reason why I did it for a dollar slang like did it for a dollar? That? Like you mean like you really did it for a dollar? Dollar? One dollar? You got going on? Body? You got you speed? You did it for a dollar. I did not do. I'm trying to figure this out, so call I believe they didn't believe it theirselves. They were like, uh when they came down, they thought they get smoothed me with all of Louis vuittons. You remember they used to rustle and that's I said, uh, his wife, his ex wife, come on, come, so you know they would Louis buiton people. They give you with Louis Vuitton right, And my whole mindset wasn't about that. I thought about the trial called Quests the beef. The beef. Leo was in my studio. We had a beef. Forgot that well. It was like, you know, I was trying. I was trying to, like, you know, let's win them over, give them the record for a dollar and a favor because jam, but it was death jam. So they came down and Russell was trying to you know, like, yeah, man, it was a joking. Everybody's joking, yell, and we hope you get him for like, I hope you don't charge us arm and the leg And they were so worried they never came to Virginia. When they came to Virginia and Russell, they sidebar with me and He's like, yo, so what you gonna hit us in the head for? That's what you're talking about? He said, I know your price? Man? I said, what are you talking about? He said, how much for the record? Tee? I said, you won't believe what I'm going to charge you? He said, is he joking a way? He asked Lee or so? Leo's like, come on, man, He's tell us, what do you want for the record. I was like, okay, Russell, go in your pocket. You carry cash. He said, I don't carry a lot of cash. I said, pull out what you have in your pocket. He pulled out Somebodey and he happened to have a dollar and I said, spread it out like you in strip club. Spread it out, and I said, okay. He's like. They looked at each other like this nigga's joking. He said, you're joking right now. I was like, nah, it's not a joke. Just consider that a favor. Wow, I want my favor. So those two, I'm saying, anybody here, don't drink champ and I'm gonna say every interview, y'all still owe me my favor. Jesus, I ain't cashing. I know you're all the way over in Bali. Yeah, I still want my favorite yo Leon. He called me. I was supposed to do it. I was supposed to do his party. I think he put everybody he had. Everybody under the jet was on it. I was called and he called me to be on the jet and I said, you know, I can't. I have a concert. I'm not able to make it. He said, I just wanted to know said, I call you that I was like or something drunkards that's how you you and and and I said, you know, but catch me on the next one. I definitely come, you know, because it's amazing to just even hear from you. But I'm one say on that call. You know you still own my favor. But I'm gonna catch favorite now. But no, Leo is my guy. Yeah, I have to ask thank you for whole signing that. Yeah, wait what they co signed? He signed? He's O the favorite. He needs to get that favorite.
Speaker 2: Hold on what you got. You can let him on, you can let him out. Okay, thank you thanking my bad, my son, my son. And like he bullies me, he bullies me.
Speaker 1: We've been bullied all this whole this episode, this whole episode, we've been realizing that sh everybody is being bullied. What you said? What oh ship?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about your questions? Man, Okay, that's so well. His beef for baby Face his staffed and now now you're out of yourself you beef for baby Face. Like, I'm gonna be honest, how do you and baby Face get beat? Why y'all putting us into beaf this?
Speaker 1: How this ship happened with Biggie you back black streating no guy and knowing this, everybody putting us in beefs we ain't in no beef. I just don't think that he would give me a shot for us to create versus on a stage like Monica and Brandy and Brandy and I'm telling them, put back on your boxing robe and how you came out on versus and let's do this, man, Let's get back in the ring. Let's take it to Africa. What's that, babyface? I want a firm Oh yeah, New York. Okay, so he put on a rope. You're you ain't You ain't see that? I was like, for real, Okay. I called Mike Tyson. Magically Johnson, I had everybody had the We had the first and then the fight happened, and then the Teddy Valley Internet. He never gave you my shot. De finished. We never got to finish. Do you know that? So why don't we finish? You want that smoke? Listen? I could see it in your eyes through your glasses.
Speaker 2: Listen, you are ready for real? And that was like before, like it won't It wasn't in the same room. Your internet was a little crazy.
Speaker 1: I remember that now. It really wasn't It was just the equipment I had and I g was just too a little behind. And technology. Yeah now we got it together. Yeah, no we did. Yeah, I own my own internet. You want that remad.
Speaker 4: But but but but.
Speaker 1: Babyface is one of the most incredible writers in this whole entire world. That's it. I will never have a beef with him. I just think that we need to do this. The example is we had this idea first to put it on the stage. Yes, well I did, and it was my dream. And if had we did that because we were the only ones that never had verses like how we created it. When they went on the stage, that was our creation because that's what we did at the house. If I didn't do that, they would versus would have been still in the house. Am I right along? Nobody would have never known about doing verses on no dog on stage. It's like, oh, Man, Teddy did it. Now we should do this with everybody. They even let Beanie Man and them have dog on boomboxes bos. They got a little dangerous in the yard. Police came. I said, wait a minute, where we're going. So we're doing what I did It's almost like what I did with new Jack Swing and everybody. They got on it, and I'm happy about that. It's just a legacy. That's all of this. But babyface, if you give me that shot, we're gonna make the culture just go wow. They just brought back versus like Monica. We how we let them get it before us and then they keep it. Well, I'm gonna keep it one hundred. I brought it to some promoters and they didn't believe. They didn't believe we're the We were the biggest of all the verses, every last one. You could put a couple of them together and still wouldn't even meet ours. You could put a few, you could put more than five together, still didn't make ours. We had over eight billion instances. They didn't want to display that, but CNN told the truth. Yes, they're the ones who reported it was like, this is over eight billion instances. The reason why because ig didn't want us to beat Michelle Obama. She had a party the same day and guess who was detailed for the party. You damn right, and he left the party. So watchat come Mutch all the artists. Quaville called me and said, yo, you broke the rules. We can't even get back in the room. I said, we can't even get back in our own That's what breaking the Internet is. They didn't do it, and everybody afterwards it was like they didn't bring the hype. The hype was the Teddy Rally. Internet broke. He broke it, then then he broke it again. So I think he'd observed that shot and I think, you know, face before you know, he'd just say, yo, I don't I'm good, I don't want to do this again. You know, I'm retiring. This is the way to go out with a bang, because we bring the culture. He's got all those hits and I got some records and and it would be more than a three hours show. But we wouldn't do that. We're just going to give you a piece of our love and keep yo, keep everybody just coming. I know what it would do, Monica, they're now they're the example. We were supposed to be the example, but they are the example. And you see how well that did. People want to see verses on the stage and on tour. So like say if Swiss and Timberland to a versus like tourt them on the stage because they started. They got to be the verse, would you say, like Monica and Brandy and be yourselves being themselves and put it on the stage, the same thing. I mean, already Gladys Knight and what's the name already doing it, tayg le Bell, they doing it, You're doing well. These things would do well. You just can't be afraid of it. And that's what I feel. And it's got to be well produced as well. Yes, I just think that if we do that, it will be off the chain. It will take the summer and the winter. We will the would be probably asking us to come Africa or something, and I thought we should started in like a place like Africa. I heard you say that earlier. It's like make it look like yo, this the rumbling the jungles, like we can go ahead and it won't be you go first, you go second. We just go back and fall flight. How celebration and Chris Brown did event we celebrating. Ain't no competition because I ain't competing against them. Not doing that. I will never compete with my brother. That was just strictly for the culture. And you know, we made it look like we we ain't backing down. I know he ain't backing now and I'm not backing down neither. Like you know, let's say it is it? So let me ask you right why in our culture? Right, it's just like we we we like people like us want to celebrate our legends.
Speaker 2: But and hip hop or and people say, all right, man, you know you're over the hill now, like and like like and like I think I think you said it earlier. I was like, man, keep working, like, let's keep working. But why in our culture there's no such thing as washed up? And exactly music, there's no such thing. These guys are nine hundred years old.
Speaker 1: Why is it? Why is it in our culture that is frowned upon? Because we are so critical in scrutinizing each other that we never give each other the love that we deserve. So that's why sometimes you got to just keep doing what you're doing so people can still receive you. And you know, don't let anybody turn you away or stare you away from being or striving to be great, because one day they will see that you got to show them your greatness in order for you to be accepted. You just got to show it. Don't talk about it. You know a lot of people talk about it and bring R and B back or I'm going to bring this back and never conquer. So you gotta now just do it and not talk about it. Just do it and and and and be strong about it. Just be determined. I'm determined to you know, be consistent because when you're consistent, that's the key. And you know, I haven't waited, like I've gotts thrown at me when I said, Yo, this is guy two point oh. But when people started hearing it, they started getting those dodgs back. You know what I'm saying, And that's what you gotta do. Like I really feel like you got another record in you. You know what I'm saying. No, seriously, I promise you if forell you and forel like how the clips come on?
Speaker 2: Look at the clipst I got a doctor dre b. I got three of them, Okay recently, yeah, a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: So so we got you. Give me a call, please please, Yeah, I'm going going to make.
Speaker 2: Sure you're in the same city right now, like I'm coming to get to tellybody got.
Speaker 1: And you know, you know what for me is when you do the records out of love like we first started, we did this ship because we loved it exactly. It was it was the industry who made us hate it.
Speaker 2: But it's not the industrutiny, yes, and not only that, it's just like like like when you spoke about, you know, the career thing and all that, like like certain things, like certain people took advantage of it, like me, for for sure, I got took an advantage of.
Speaker 1: For me to come back and me to do it on my own terms will be like like like that that's would be what I love. You know what I'm saying. Thing you're supposed to do is you're supposed to be on your own tongue better yes, instead of being faster. Yes, you're never face and you're not a fALS. I mean, it would be so easy for you. I should some I got I'm already ready. Okay, you know what.
Speaker 2: Please love I would love because you know what me and my partner like, uh we said, me and e FN, we really started this show to give people like you your flowers, to give people like you your uh your credit, because it's truly that like like if it's not you like related like like like us being connected like you truly are one of the icons you are icon, You are a legend. You are a person that if it wasn't for you, the music wouldn't be what it is today. And I'm not afraid to tell you that to your face. That is like you push the needle. You are the the move what they call it, the move shaker. Yeah, yeah, you are person.
Speaker 1: You are that person. And I feel like our culture has to celebrate that. We have to appraise that. We have to let you know, you know, to your face, and if our kulture ain't gonna do it, we will. This is why I love doing this show because as the young fan of me comes back and meets the icons and the heroes. So this is an actual concette that I bought, right, look at that. That's crazy. And I used to love because I was an aspiring DJ. Couldn't afford turntables originally, right, So I loved all the singles because they had the instrumentals. Yeah, but I hated that they always came in the paper, So I used to cut them up and put them in the plastic so they would make so they would be protected. So now I'm bringing you this now, I mean, this is Droomshaker. He knows the year that is well, this record is. Listen to me, there's two records in hip hop that defined summers. Whether this came out and somebody, I can't tell you, but I'm telling you define for me summers. It's Dwick and Drumshaker because he jerked off to those videos, keep it real, relaxed at all. I'll tell you a fact. It's so crazy because for so long we we WASN'TSD we wasn't considered hip hop. I know that. But you know Miami, Miami guys, so that was it. Wait hold on, so y'all looked at them like to no, no, no, no, you understand. I'm a Miami top head. So I'm not looking at that divisive stuff that's going on somewhere else. To us, this is this is this is the jam. So this is it a lot of people, like I said, if people would have asked, like, yo, so is it hip hop? No, that's rexing effect or that's news swing. And why do music that I said, scrutiny, Why music have to be put into a categlory or into a box when it was everything to everybody. This was the first record, the first Booty song to play on MTV, the very first throw. They wasn't on MTV yet or never took. That record was decided by a judge. The first commercial about Rumpshaker was a judge and they played a record and you know, it was like a demonstration and this record makes MTV. That's crazy. But I didn't know that. Yeah, yep. And we did a lot to make that record make TV because we had some we had some stuff going on and we had some stars in there. Like you you would know, like the the girl is playing the successphone, you know who that is. That's Bobby Brown's wife. Wow, today my mind. Wasn't his wife then though? Wasn't his wife then? Right? That's his wife? Now do y'all think, y'all y'all introduced? Uh no, no, no, no, no, that's all Day. That's that's Luke. That's I even said a lot of my records, I'm the East Coast Luke. Goddamn it. Okay, but but listen, you said this is hip hop nonetheless, Yeah, but no, it wasn't. I mean, well, when the fiftieth to us in my anniversary, we wasn't called. And let me tell you something, this is a hip hop hit record exactly. Nobody says the lead rapper is one of the most influenced, influential rappers because a lot of people and I'm gonna keep it one hundred a lot of people a guy that got their style from him, I'll kill a plus keep going. He's a very educated rapper and freestyle, Yeah, A plus off through it. But you know when people don't give you that respect, he's just like, yo, I got another job over here. I can just do that. And we just kind of left it alone. But when we performed that song, I mean, I think it's going to go down in history. Like I said, I mean, I don't know if everybody agrees with me, but I feel like I think it as well. And it's rump shaking. Those are the summer records for that time period, which is the golden era in my you know, from my generation of hip hop. YEP, it's drinking and rump shaking. Like there's no other record that's going to bring everybody on the dance floor like that. I feel the same way, you know this is that's a classic. You know, there's not a lot of rap classics. You know that you could say I could play twenty years this record ninety two and still playing today in the clubs. And the sample, the original sample of Public Enemy use right first or no? The original sample is by some I got souped million dollars for that record, A million, a million dollars. I had to pay me. So we'll see what they called us lady later when the record the record did half a million because the record was in and part of my publishing check went to pay for that sample. They let us as an Indian band, an Indian band before Public Enemy before yeah, and then Jay used it afterwards. Yeah right, yeah, wow crazy, So we know you didn't smoke the blunt relaxed. It was for later before. Can I ask this is for my in a junkie whoa, whoa the inner junkie and you what's the what? What kind of drugs was in the Bobby Brown sessions? Well? See, was there not cooking that I work with that did substance? Did not bring it around me. I'm gonna tell you, like like Snoop Dogg and that's my brother. But Snoop would even ask me, oh can we can we hit one? And one day he smoked in the session, right, and Aaron Hall was with us. Everybody was in the session and Snoop came and he said, I bet you can't hit this. You you'll never hit that. And Snoop had some strong stuff right, and I said, so, I bet y'all would because they used to smoke every day. Him, corrupt everybody, creep everybody. So I took a hit and it changed my life. Now I'm gonna tell you why. Because I have hyperthyroids hyperthyroidism, and I used to have tremors. My hands used to shake a lot, you know. I had a grade disease and cancer. Wow, and I used to I could never sleep, like if I'm in a studio session, I can go to for forty eight hours literally. But for me, what helped me? And now we're working on the strand as a tea because tea said, because uh, Indeca, it's probably it's the best thing for me. And I only have to take one. And I'm good because the up order down, down down, because I'm already up. Okay, I'm already up. Like, I'm like, why you say, jumping bunny, you know I'm out of here. I can go, no, do yourself. I'm like, do you sell? Like? And it was nothing that because I don't really like taking medicine at all. There was nothing that could help me and my my ex manager I used to play with. I used to sell you a pusher man, you know, like it was your drug dealer, because he was you know, he he introduced when they had the vaps. But I realized that was dangerous. Then he said, you know, they and you would have to do the real deal. Or let's figure out how we can turn it into a te So I have a company now really putting together a strand and so it can make it into a tea. That's why, so that I'm able to you know, sleep, but it also helps me with my thye words. So yeah, okay, So the drugs and studio, I could tell you a couple of people who asked me, you know, I'm in ODB O dB when he came to do the remix for Fix. Okay, and this is how you got that that part on Fixed when he went who her name was, Vagina? The dude had to have a forty and he had to have his weed. Nobody never did weed in my studio. The first person to do weed in my studio was Buster bust a round. Yeah, my brother, because he's like I don't feel good. I don't feel good. Yo. I need Yo, I need I don't feel yo, yos an you talk to because some gotta give. I was like, who is talking about? He's like, yo, I know you don't allow like you know, smoking in your studio. Well, can you could just give me this one? I'll finish this record like like trust wow. I was like, I you got a bush he's smoking? Was it? It changes? You know, it's another playing field when when you got that. So like even sometimes like when I'm in the studio, I would have that feeling like today is the day I need to because I'm on something right now and I need to focus. The stuff I do is give me a focus. And I'm like in that zone and like just working on records for like Usher and stuff, and I'm like, yo, I gotta get in the zone. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So man, taking a picture because I can't thank you enough, man, Like I know you got to wrap it up, but I'm gonna take another shot for you. I'm gonna take too more shots for you because yeah, yeah, I'm gonna take too much shot, take too much.
Speaker 1: Because let me just tell you, man, we all owe you. Man. Music mean nothing no, no, no no, I gave me let me get you gave me my gime me check this out. I'm gonna be one hond. I didn't think I will ever make it here really serious because I didn't really have like when I go on a show like dude, like your show has got to be something like this. This really got me here. I feel like this is my reason. I know you wanted me to come up because we talked about oh yes at the piece pot piece, but this right here, I feel like this was the vehicle that I feel I have something to talk about. And then all the stuff you wanted to ask me, and then the games and it became like yo, that's flowers for me. Yes, you know what I'm saying. Just coming on the show. I don't like I told you, I don't doing on my past, but thank you for humoring us. Yeah. Yeah, and we have to we have to. We have to, you know what, in case that's what you want to do.
Speaker 2: It's people like us that we sit around and we said we have to say, man like this like your legacy, what you've done, what you gave to us is your birth children, you birth you know, like when I said four different decades. I'm sitting back and I'm just like that shit is so beautiful, Like you know what I mean. There's people who don't last six months. These people don't last six weeks, these people don't last two weeks. And the fact is that you have this a luxurious career. I have to sit you as a man and tell you, thank you, thank you for doing that, because I know how much shit you have probably been through. I know how much shit that you hain't talking about in that book because I'm I can't say I'm of you, But what I'm trying to say is.
Speaker 1: I'm of that same essence we all come to trade. And I know, I know the hardship that you've been through, and I know the fact that you standing in here today as a man, sitting there and you are you are who you are, You are everyone who loves you, everyone worships you. But I know I know sometimes what we've been through.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I look at my friends sometimes and I can see them go to McDonald's and I can say to them, fuck, I'm jealous of I'm going to make them right. Not because I'm jealous of them going to McDonald's. I'm jealous that they can go to McDonald's. They can get their their chicken filet or fish for legs.
Speaker 1: I know you don't eat chicken. They could get their fish for l a. They could get their little they uh uh because my man that's vegan. Uh, they get his loop.
Speaker 2: They can get their French fries and they can sit down. I'm sorry, I'm not you mean to throw you out, but they can sit down. And that ship it vexes me sometimes because it's like, damn, I know much I sacrifice for this industry. You not much I've done for this industry, and I can't even do it. I can't even get up McDonald's meal like without being but yehad.
Speaker 1: But you can. It's just you choose not to. So it's it's like, m I I wanted, like I watched the show probably since the beginning, thank you, thank you man than you, and you know, I was like, dag, if I go on this show, I want to have something. I want to have something because I know I got something right, but I want to have something more, like something to talk about. You know. I'm always with sepstance, you know, and that's the reason why I kind of duck and Dodge. You know when I saw you, I ain't ready, No, you know what, But you know what the beautiful part about that was.
Speaker 2: Was I got, like I said, like I started this interview off when I got to see you be so happy for another person and I got to see her come. I'm saying like you like you're one of these people that like you've done everything, like you know what I mean. Like we had Will Smith on here, I'm sorry to be and Will told us he said, man, there's a mountain top.
Speaker 1: And when he said that, what is it? What is it?
Speaker 2: What cliff top? And he was he was just ascribing to us how you can make it to the top and that should just not be enough. And that shit scared the ship out of me.
Speaker 1: That was ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry because I feel like you're about to say something because you're right.
Speaker 1: You're right. I always say, you know, it's easy to get to the top, but it's hard to maintain and stay there. And my formula to that is, this is the industry. If you're trying to sustain yourself, sometimes you got to sit down, just like let the sub come in. A lot of people don't know how to let the subns. So that's what I did. I created subs. I created, you know, like architects that could fulfill what I'm doing while I'm sitting down, and that's what for well, you know, that's where they all come in. It's like that at least I know that something came from or came through me that I'm able to say that he's doing it. And when you see that, like writing the drunks as well, you know, and you're able to say that I'm a part of that. It's like when you said with the clips, that's the part I'm a part of that. That's that's my war too. You know I feel that way as well. But I'll never say it's like you smile inside that that really shows right here, it's all in here, and it's all in here, you know, and and that's what you're seeing. Because I'm proud, like like one hundred one thousand percent proud of all of them. I can tell you know what I'm saying. It's no, like never have been any type of heoration. No, because when you know, like when you see like you envisioned the tree, like it only adds on to you. But I got to see it. I'll stood behind you bro, you behind me, but you ain't see me drop the tear of joy. I did see that, you did. I did see that because I who was sitting right behind me? It was me. My wife was dead. I was almost wanted to say, get the camera because you know you were right here. You were exactly where e FN was to me.
Speaker 2: And what I realized was our whole chemistry the bose.
Speaker 1: Together at that very moment. I knew it already, but I looked and and and you know what, God bless hip hop man, God blessed hip hop man. God bless The last person that did that with me where I had a tear of joy was when I won We won the the Grammy for No Dignity. And then what came next was a Record of the Year and voice the Men one and Rick Rubin took a piece of paper and wrote that should have been your award, And I said, everything happens on God's time. Sometimes you gotta sit like I said, You gotta sit back that God stayed away. Are process. You trust the process. You know you get there. You just got to stay in, stay in the number in the game. Do another record. But let me just let me just end on this note, I really have to thank you again, Thank you again for your contribute, con your contribution to life, not only just music, Like your music changed people's lives. So I want to say thank you for what you contributed to life, even bigger than music, you know what I mean. Like when I'm sitting abound and I'm sitting bound, I was like this man, this man, caters are ears for.
Speaker 2: Thirty damn years and forty. Of course, of course the limit your name job was just downplaying it. But I'm doing it in the right way.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to say is that shit is so beautiful man, Like I'm proud to know you. I'm proud to be in the same area as you. I'm probably be in the same room as you. I'm proud. And me and him like we said, man, we want to give people.
Speaker 2: They flowers while they are alive, they trees while they can smell them, and they thoughts where they can tell them. And we want to tell you, thank you, brother, thank you for being who you are, thank you for being this you.
Speaker 1: And I'm so scared because I'm looking at your people and I can tell they want you to go, and I'm like, okay, you still got to do a picture and dropping. But take one more shot. Oh I forgot, I forgot. I jerked you on the shot. I jerked you on the shot. I jerked you on the shot. Poor. So you know how the ship is. This is gonna be got. I got this and silo, silo, and thank you and take you to your team, man, thank you. All of your team is beautiful. Man. They was on point. Even though my Dominican friends send him the wrong address. I'm blaming it on him. I'm blaming you, missing Lee. I cannot blame him that. I'm blaming you because April Crocket hit me. It was like, do you know you have you have to tell you on yourself? Of course, I know, you know. He goes. You know they're outside and I'm going, this is no way and I know it's other spots.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I believe it was him sending the wrong address. I'm blaming him all on every day. I'm blaming the Dominican guy. Thank you so much, though, thank you so much. Just take a picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Drink Champs is a Drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and DJ E FN Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours Truly, dj e FN and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms, at the Real Noriagon, ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink champs dot com