Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, I'm Brian Tayler Cohen. Thank you so much for tuning into our Yes on fifty Voter Registration Day rally. We've got an amazing guest list today. We're joined by some of the biggest fighters on the left who are meeting this moment with the urgency that it deserves. And of course I'm joined now by Governor Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 2: Before we get into a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of our back and forth, just want to let folks who are watching know that we are hosting this rally because of what's happening right now, and what's happening right now is existential, not just for the left but for democracy. We have watched as Trump has issued his clarion call to Texas for five seats and how they responded. We've watched as he did the same thing in Missouri and how they responded. We're going to see the same thing in Indiana and then Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see other states do the exact same thing. The reality is that this is how Republicans engineered themselves into a permanent majority, which may makes it all the more important that we actually fight back. So the whole Republican movement across the country is going to pour money into California because they know that if they can beat this thing in California, then they have nothing to worry about in terms of pushing back against this overt blatant power grab.
Speaker 2: So what we'll ask you to do.
Speaker 1: Throughout this evening as we try and raise money to counteract the avalanche of funds that are going to come in from across the country on the Republican side, is we're going to ask you to go ahead and donate to Yes on fifty live dot com. This will help our efforts to make sure that everybody in California knows the stakes of what's going to happen on November fourth, knows the stakes of this referendum coming up, and knows that it is existential again not just for Democrats, but for the preservation of democracy itself. So that's going to be an important point that we're going to hit on a numerous times throughout this evening. So with that said, I'm now honored to be joined by the Governor of California, Gavenus, and thanks so much for taking the time.
Speaker 3: It's great to be with you. Brian, Thank you.
Speaker 1: So we are obviously broadcasting right now in the midst of.
Speaker 2: A really difficult week.
Speaker 1: We have seen gun violence occur with the shooting last week against Charlie Kirk. We have seen the overt assaults against free speech at the hands of Donald Trump and Pam Bondi and all of these other purported free speech warriors. And so in light of what we're seeing right now, I'm sure that there are a lot of folks who are watching this who feel, you know, exhausted, And so what would you say to those people who are watching to let them know that this is worth staying on top of, this is worth continuing to fight for.
Speaker 3: Well, I first say is you're a human.
Speaker 4: If you're not feeling exhausted, exhausting and anxious in some ways fearful, then you're not breathing, you're not living.
Speaker 3: And I just I think we have to give some people grace.
Speaker 4: The last five six, seven years, we've been through a once in a lifetime pandemic social unrest. We went through all of the challenges coming out of COVID, with supply chain issues and away inflation and wars of aggression and Ukraine, and challenges that were continuing to work our way out, and so I just want to acknowledge all that stacking of stress that everybody's feeling. And of course last week, you know, just the the ultimate punctuation. And for just for what it's worth, Brian, you know this. I started a podcast not too many months ago and Charlie Kirk was my first guest. He was gracious enough to not only say yes, he flew out to do it in person, and I spend not just the hour plus in a very civil conversation with Charlie, I spent time with him after and we stayed in touch, including my teams, staying in touch pretty consistently. And that's the spirit I want to bring to this conversation is one of civility, one of grace, one of humanity, common humanity. Obviously we have deep differences of opinion. Obviously he was very offended by positions I hold dear, and I in turn very offended by things that he said and positions he held. But the fact is we had that opportunity to engage, and so I would say, in response to your question, it's absolutely essential that we, in the spirit of this moment, hold ourselves to a higher level of civility and accountability in the spirit of this conversation, accountability to the moment we're in and the consequences of giving into cynicism and anxiety and fear. And I just say to everyone and closing in this spirit, you're the antidote to that cynicism, that fear and anxiety. The fact that you've tuned in means you've not tuned out to what's at stake. And I cannot impress upon people watching it's all at stake. This is a profound and consequential moment in American history.
Speaker 3: We can lose this republic if we do not.
Speaker 4: Assert ourselves and stand tall at this moment and stand guard to this republic in our democra. Chris, I feel that in my bones, particularly in light of what's happened in the last week.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the California map redraw, this situation that we're in right now. We have, you know, not that many weeks to go until this referendum, until November, and so they're going to be folks watching who say, look, California is a big blue bastion. Why do we have to worry about this? This thing is already a done deal. Why is this worth talking about right now?
Speaker 4: Well, because it's Prop fifty for a reason, impacts all fifty states. It's not an electoral map. It's a simple math issue.
Speaker 3: You said it.
Speaker 4: In the oddset, Donald Trump realizes and recognizes that he.
Speaker 3: Is likely, almost overwhelmingly.
Speaker 4: Likely to lose the midterms, and so he's trying to hold on to power. And the only way you can hold onto power is to rig the system, to change the game. He's not playing by a different set of roles. He's playing by no rules whatsoever. And that's why he dialed up Greg Abbott Intoxis and suggested that he's quote unquote entitled to five seats. They did his bidding, and as you suggest that bidding is being done in real time in Missouri, in Indiana, it will be advanced in states like Florida. And you may have seen today the comments that were made about Utah and Ohio as well. So this is as real as it gets. And the whole idea of redistricting, i assure you, is the tip of the iceberg, because he's also setting up the parameters in the condition where he can suggest that when he loses, that's up to us if we do our job. When he loses the midterm, he could suggest it was rigged itself. He's quite creating a chill. And let me give you an example of what I mean by that as it relates to voter turnout and intimidation tactics. When we kicked off the campaign for Yes On fifty, we did it at the Democracy Center in southern California. Brian, you were there in little Tokyo. Well, and many of you watch you know this well. Litu Tokyo is the site of sacred site where we shamefully bust the Japanese as we interned the Japanese. That happened, and at that exact same site, Donald Trump sent masked private army, He sent out border patrol and ice to intimidate to US senators, a half dozen or dozen members of Congress, one hundred plus community leaders to try to intimidate us from holding the rally in the first place. And a poor soul that just happened to be out there selling strawberries was disappeared by that same private army. That is a preview of things to come, I assure you. At voting booths and polling places across this country, just as we said after he federalized the National Guard, and he sent the military not overseas, he sent the military to a United States city in Los Angeles, seven hundred active duty marines is intended to chill free speech and free expression. The stakes could not be more clear, and the stakes could not be more consequential.
Speaker 2: And finally, let's finish off with this.
Speaker 1: There are folks who are going to say that this isn't, this isn't an example of good governance. And so Democrats should should kind of practice what they preach and not do the same thing that they have disavowed for so long. And so in this particular moment, what do you say to those people.
Speaker 3: Well, we can certainly do that.
Speaker 4: We can have a candlelight vigil, we can hold hands, we can talk about the way the world should be.
Speaker 3: We can come out with a white paper and.
Speaker 4: Talk about, well, how did all this happen? They're gonna be some best selling books. As we watched our democracy slip away, as we watched the rule of law law turn into the rule of dawn. As we watch yet another law firm or another media organization sell their soul, or to see another corporate titan sitting there and give personal you know, sit there and fealty to the dear leader.
Speaker 3: We could see more.
Speaker 4: Companies get socialized and nationalized. We can watch universities sell out. We can see this democracy slip through our fingers. We can sit there and say, boy, people really should have stood up and taken this guy, Stephen Miller a little bit more seriously when he called the Democratic Party a terrorist organization, or taking the Department of Justice and it's an attorney general, it's leader who said that any speech they don't like is now hate speech, and they'll have the ability to shut it down and say, boy, we could have done something more. Or we can recognize the moment we're in and we can meet that moment and we can push back, and we do it with some muscularity. We did this in response to what Donald Trump has done, and we've done it in closing Brian in the most democratic way. And I would say that to those still on the fence, that's the difference between us and them. We're not only using our formal authority, our ability to fight fire with fire and redistrict, but we're using our moral authority in this respect. Fact, it's temporary, it's transparent and its democratic meaning we're putting in front of the voters. This is the first maps in the United States that will actually be submitted to the people themselves. The maps will be on the ballot, and it's a temporary response to this emergency, this crisis of the rigging of the midterms, and we need to win this at peril that will lose this republic, will lose this democracy. It is not an overstatement. This is code read. We all need to wake up to what's going on. And maybe, in final words, maybe I'm saying that from the prism of being a governor of a state where I watched the military asserting themselves to try to take over for domestic policing, where I watched this private army that is the most funded private army of its type anywhere in the world, with ice out there in masks, intimidating people, and they're free expression of speech. Maybe it's because I'm sitting here where the UC regions are meeting tomorrow to discuss a one point nine billion dollar extortion fine because institutions of higher learning and independent thinking are under assault by Donald Trump. That happens to be UCLA in my state, maybe it's to the prison of that, but I assure you in every state in America, I assure you this is a preview of things to come perfectly.
Speaker 1: Put and to underscore how important that is. The reality is Republicans know all of these things, which is why, again, as I mentioned in the beginning, they're going to pour a ton of money into this effort, because if they can neutralize California, that's all they need, especially with the weapons that they have at their disposal, meeting Texas, Missouri, Indiana, Florida, and on and on. So for those who are watching right now, if you'd like to help us make sure that everybody can become aware of what's happening in California, please donate what you can to yes on fifty live dot com and we'll be repeating that throughout the evening. With that said, i'd like to take the opportunity now to introduce my friends at Crooked Media, two of the hosts for Podsave America, John Favreau and Tommy vitur uhrookd Potsave America, of course, is a liberal podcast, and Crooked is a media organization that was started after these guys served in senior positions in the Obama administration. John Favreau is the chief speech writer and Tommy was the spokesman for the National Security Council. It is my honor to introduce my friends John and Tommy.
Speaker 5: That's the nice as interesting.
Speaker 2: Jeez, yeah, you can, you can. You guys can pay me afterwards, We already do.
Speaker 5: I bet you go stipend.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 6: Thank you all for being here, thank you for inviting us to the last Stream, thank you for raising money for this initiative, and Governor k Newsom for for putting this proposal forward. Uh, it's been a really scary tough week. I think for everybody what happened to Charlie Kirk is an evil, indefensible tragedy, full stop, end of sentence. That that said, what Donald Trump has signaled to come is very scary, and it sort of reminds you of what this country could look like if there is no check on his power. And I think we have all thought and hoped and believed that the first check on his power would be the midterm elections. But clearly Donald Trump wants to steal the midterms through this redistributing process, and we have to fight back. So that's why this is such an important proposition.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think this is pretty simple. In an ideal world, there would be no partisan jerry mandering and everyone would sign on to the bill Democrats introduced a couple of years ago to have independent, nonpartisan redistricting all over the country. That is not the world we live in. Donald Trump decided one day that he wanted to squeeze five more seats out of Texas and basically has been pretty honest about it. There's no pretext here, there's no he's not trying to hide it. He's just saying, I want five more seats, and now I want all the other states that can give me more seats to redraw so they can give me more seats as well. So then it's easier for me to win the midterms. So then I don't have to be investigated for anything. My administration doesn't have to be investigated for anything, and I can continue to confirm judges and pass all kinds of legislation. And if we win the midterms, Donald Trump will never sign a piece of legislation again. If we win the midterms, we can start trying to hold his administration accountable. And so this now comes down to Prop fifty. And I know some people might think, well, it's California, Democratic voter registration advantage should be no problem. It's going to be a lower turnout election, and so a lot of political junkies, like the people who are probably watching this live stream, are going to show up and that's that.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 7: The other side is going to spend millions and millions and millions of dollars to try to defeat this because Donald Trump and the Republicans are very aware that if we draw the maps here to you know, try to neutralize what they're doing in Texas and other places, that it's going to be a harder for them to win. And you know, reporting suggests that on Donald Trump's mind are the midterms more than they ever have been. He is very very intent on winning these. He's very very nervous about the possibility of being investigated, his administration being investigated. So they are going to dump an enormous amount of money in here, and they're going to try to get their base going and to get people to turn out in midterm elections that don't usually turn out, that usually just turn out for Donald Trump in presidential year. So they're throwing everything they have into this, which is why it's really really important for everyone to donate so that we can get the word out, so that Governor Newsom can get the word out. And ballot initiatives in California are always a little confusing, having lived here for quite a while now, and so we have to remind everyone through communication, through spending money on ads that you got to vote yes on this to make sure that we have a chance in the mid term to take back the House. So please, if you can donate to yes on fifty live dot com, you can go right there and donate. And thanks everyone for listening and for tuning in.
Speaker 6: And now we're gonna we're gonna bring in a Massachusetts luminary.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 6: Senator Elizabeth Warren is on the stream.
Speaker 5: Our real home states senator Centator.
Speaker 6: Great to see you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just see you.
Speaker 11: Guys.
Speaker 6: The Patriots are one and one. That's the best news I've gotten all week.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 12: I do it just fine? Thank you very much personally. But do keep in mind I am here in Washington, DC, and I go in every day that I'm here to work in a Senate controlled by spineless Republicans and to worry about what comes over from the House, which is controlled by spineless Republicans. You know, I you keep thinking about why are they pouring so much into this? And I think you make exactly one important point. And then as Donald Trump does not want to be investigated but to I want to dig a little more on this because part of what's at stake here is that what Donald Trump has been able to do over the last how long has it been one hundred and fifty eight years, since since January when he was sworn in, is that he has been able to break the law over and over and over and over and over and over, and people say, what can we do? We'll I'll tell you if just the tiny number of Republicans in the House or the Senate was like, we're done, We're not doing that. You can't do that, Donald Trump, Yes you are president, but here are things you cannot do, and used our leverage and said we won't pass anything out of the House and of the Congress, we won't give you funding. There are all these things we would have power to do. The problem is the Republicans just try to outdo each other, and how fast they fall to the floor to kiss Donald Trump's feet, and the consequence of that is the whole basic structure of government now is breaking apart. So here we have Donald Trump, the would be king, and Congress under the constitution. There was always this unspoken presumption we're jealously guard its power. Well, it's not under Republican control. It is acting in a like a frightened child, you know, just anything Donald Trump wants. Just don't let him get angry with us. And so you've got the House and the Senate under Republican control just falling to the ground. The difference if we had either of the houses under democratic control is that stops. And if we have both houses under democratic con role, now we are truly back in the game in terms of making our constitution work again. And so I just think it's an important part for everybody to understand. It's about the midterms. Yes, yes, yes, but please understand how important these midterms are. Any accountability for Donald Trump, any accountability it's going to come because of the midterms, whether it's investigations, whether it's we get spending back it. You'll want to support cancer research, so do I let me tell you the way to do that, that is vote yes I'm fifty, so that we have a chance to get the House back, and that means we can be in those negotiations and make sure that the money that Congress allocates for cancer spending actually gets spent on trying to cure cancer. And I can just play that example out literally a thousand times.
Speaker 6: I mean, you said it was incredible today watching cash Betel the FBI director's hearing for whatever committee that was, and he is just clearly performing for an audience of one. He is shouting down Democratic senators, he's insulting them, he's speaking over them, he's threatening them, essentially, and the Republican chairman was, you know, gabbling quiet the Democratic members, Like, to your point, at one point along the way, it seemed like each body or each institution like jealously guarded its own power above all else. But it seems like Republicans were just thrilled to watch this performance and to watch their colleagues be insulted.
Speaker 12: Right, Can I be just a little dorky and make the same point again, please? It is what's happening with the Federal Reserve. So here is the one agency that Democrats and Republicans have said for one hundred and zillion years. Yes, the FED needs to be independent. Why because the FED sometimes has to make really hard policy decisions, And so everybody wants confidence, whether you've got a Democrat or Republican in the White House, that they're doing it as best they can based on the numbers, based on what the economic data are. That's what we hope keeps our economy steady and helps protect Americans across this country. So what happens Donald Trump gets to nominate someone the guy he has nominated. This is no joke, doctor Myron. Now, since it is the president of the Council of Economic Advisors working in the White House for Trump, he's not going to give up that job. He wants to keep a foot in that boat while he goes over to the so called independent FED. And so every Republican Senator at our hearing last week in Banking, I know it didn't have all the sparkle of the Patel hearing, but every Republicans I believe in the independence of the FED. So I ask this guy, who's Donald Trump? So many I said, you're going to be a dependent, right, Well, he's going to be independent, he wrote up his notes. I will be independent. I will be mister independent. I said, great, let's just test out how independent you can be of Donald Trump. Did Donald Trump lose the twenty twenty election? Mister independent? Nah, could not answer that question. Well, it was ruled by a confirmed blah bl blah, right. He could not bring himself to say this, or so I said, Okay, let's go to another Let's go I realize that one sensitive. Let's go to what Donald Trump said when he fired the person who put out the labor statistics, the head of the uh Labor BLS Bureau of Labor Statistics. And I said, Donald Trump, and I read the quote, you know, said this person lied and tried to help Kamala and falsified data. And I said, is that true? Again, here's the guy who's chief economists literally could not say that. Maybe, just maybe the President got a word or too wrong when he called the head of BLS a liar and a chieat, and just maybe had overstepped a little bit. And I use that as an example of everybody who comes through to be confirmed starts with prostrating, prostrating themselves in front of Donald Trump. Might be looking and I am so grateful to Donald Trump. They all say, and I will do whatever he wants me to do. That's why I see Prop fifty as a fight for the independence of our democracy, a fight to say there's a check on power. For everybody who shut up for no kings, this is your chance in California to show up and just say.
Speaker 13: Power.
Speaker 14: We get it.
Speaker 12: Presidents should have power, but there's got to be a check on that power. And right now there ain't no check on that power. It's not coming from the Republicans in the House. It's not coming from the Republicans in the Senate. It's sure as heck not coming from other people in government. And this is our chance to get a foot back in the door on that.
Speaker 6: That's right, So donate to you're on yes on fiftylive dot com presumably if you're watching this, but if you're not, go to yes on fiftylive dot com and donate please.
Speaker 1: It is my honor now to be able to introduce two more folks. We have Ben Macellus, who co founded the Midas Touch Network, which is the top viewed political YouTube channel and the most listened to podcast each month of this year. Huge congratulations to Ben and your brothers for what you've built in my dis touch. I could not be more proud to see that the left is fighting back and you guys are a huge, huge, huge part of that. So thank you for the work you're doing, and congratulations on all of the well deserved accolades that you guys have gotten. And I'm also going to call in Governor Newsom now, who of course is the center of all of this. We have been, you know, begging and pleading for Democrats who are willing to match their their words and their rhetoric with action, and nobody has better exemplified that than the Governor. So I'll let you both take it from here.
Speaker 15: Governor Newsom, it's great to see the man of the hour right now. When your name is on Donald Trump's social media, it seems on an almost hourly basis, whether it's Donald Trump claiming that he saved Los Angeles by turning on a magical faucet somewhere in the imaginary border between California and Canada, whether it's Donald Trump saying that he saved Los Angeles again a few months back, whether he whatever he was making up about you today, it seems that you standing up to him is having a certain type of reaction doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I appreciate that. It's a yeah, No, it's a point of pride.
Speaker 4: I mean there were there was almost forty eight hours where I felt he'd forgotten about me. But you're right, No, he tried to hit me on his way over to the UK. And it's just it's a reminder of what we're up against. Miss and disinformation, just complete bullshit excuse my language, that comes from Donald Trump. And that's why it's important that we're not only winning the war and the spirit of what Beto and Mark just brought to this conversation on the ground and the spirit of what Brian talked about in terms of this grassroots people power effort to push back against the well healed, but it's absolutely critical that we win the messaging war as well, that we organize in a much more I think, a much more intense way to communicate over and over and over again our message across the spectrum, which is just foundational on all these efforts.
Speaker 15: Look, the federal government once again is heading towards another shutdown potentially, but Donald Trump has ordered MAGA, Mike Johnson and Republiicskens do not even have conversations with Democrats He's repeatedly referred to Democrats as the enemy radical, don't deal with them, don't even talk to them. You've been in politics for a little bit. That's not the way it always was, But it is what Donald Trump has turned the body politic into today. Kind of this zero sum game, if you will, And we see it play out over and over again, and you know, it seems is the American people are letting their voices be heard right now, He's getting more and more nervous, hence trying to rig these midterms.
Speaker 3: No, look, I mean, I think what you've underscored is the fundamental point here. Trump is weakness. He's weakness masquerade his strength. He's flailing.
Speaker 4: The economy is cooling, Inflation starting to rise again, consumer confidence is down, credit card debt is going up. The tariffs have terrified our allies, and taxes are being felt on the American people and middle class families. His only legislative success, the Big Beautiful Bill, is anything, but it's a big beautiful betrayal. And we're seeing all of these authoritarian tendencies as a response to that weakness. And the more you see caps in his true social and his tweets, the more. That just underscores the fact that he's flailing. That's why he's trying to rig this election. That's why we're having this conversation. That's what PROB fifty is all about. Pushing back in a meaningful and substantive way. But one cannot underestimate the lengths to which he will go to not just rig the midterms, but the impacts if he's successful, well beyond that. And I really appreciate it, Beto, Elizabeth Warrens that are Warren to others really highlighting that, Goarsman Garcia that this is not just about twenty twenty five, impacts on twenty twenty six and twenty twenty eight and beyond the consequences of this initiative to say at the tone and tenor into twenty twenty six, to defecto end the Trump Prentice presidency next year's midterms. Whereas Tommy said in the outset, Donald Trump will no longer be able to sign any bill because we'll finally have a check on his power.
Speaker 15: You know, living in California is something that I have a great deal of pride about. We are the fourth largest economy in the world. Of California was a country. We are a giver state. We give eighty billion dollars plus more to the federal government than we take. By contrast, Texas takes about seventy five billion dollars more than it gives. You go through every stat and entrepreneurship companies, California is leading the way.
Speaker 3: Is that mean?
Speaker 15: But it's constantly under attack by Trump and lots of people in red states who, let's face it, I know how Donald Trump likes to falsely say that the United States subsidizes Canada, which is not accurate and completely false. But let's face it, a lot of these red states are failing and but for California kind of subsidizing the country. Yet they then come and attack us here in California.
Speaker 5: I don't like that.
Speaker 16: Gov.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, man, it's the California derangement syndrome. And with respect to our friend Belle O'Rourke, you're exactly right. Seventy one point one billion dollar taker state, California eighty three point one billion dollar donor state, meaning we provide eighty three plus billion dollars more in revenue to the federal government than we receive back. And that is the case. Vast majority of blue states. But we also have to state the facts. I live in California. You live here. Size of twenty one state populations combined, the fourth largest economy from a GDP in the world. More scientists, engineers, more researchers, more Nobel laureates than any state in the nation. A system of education that's a conveyor belt for talent, the UCCSUS our community college system, pushing out the boundaries of discovery, more venture, your capital, and we dominate in the next big global economy. Thirty two of the top fifty AI companies all here in the state of California. So our state of mind is about not just imagination, but it's innovation. It's dreaming and doing and it's not lost on me and it shouldn't be lost on anybody. That part of our secret sauce is the fact that we are able to get the best in the brightest from around the globe. First round draft choices or a majority minority state that our best doesn't tolerate that diversity.
Speaker 3: We celebrate that diversity. All of that's on.
Speaker 4: The line in terms of the assaults of Trump and trump Ism and going after DEI, ESG CRT, anything with three letters. This guy seems to be assaulting, and so what Proposition fifty represents is an opportunity to check his power. It's about checks and balances, it's about the rule of law, it's about coequal branches of government. And that's why I'm so grateful to you and so many others that are tuning in so that we can tune up an understanding of what's at stake with this initiative.
Speaker 15: Let's talk about this event today before we go National voter registration Day, so it has an added layer of significance. The website is yes on fiftylive dot com. Everybody go there. I'm going to make a donation after this at yes on fiftylive dot com. But you bringing together all of these people here in new media, bringing members of Congress and senators and leaders together, rallying together to support our democracy and to support this existential threat. How big of a deal is this event today, Governor?
Speaker 3: I think it's huge.
Speaker 4: Because you guys have done one thing that I think we all need. I need, I mean I imagine you might need. And that's some optimism, some hope, you know. I think that we show up for each other. We're showing up for a cause greater than ourselves. As Beto was saying, two hundred and forty nine years of these enduring principles and values, the best of Roman Republican Greek democracy, about to say, celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our founding fathers. It's all on the line, it's all at stake, and I think for me to see everybody show up like this, that's incredible, gives me a sense of optimism and hopefulness. And what I think it also represents from a very organized perspective, is that we're not just engaging platform thinking. We're also engaging platform doing that. We're actually manifesting something here. We have something to be four, we have work to do, we have agency. And what I think this whole engagement tonight represents is the power of the people in a democracy. Brand I said it best. The most important office is office of citizen active, not inerds citizenship, and it's people making contributions three five ten dollars, making contributions by going out there and volunteering. That will be the story that will define not just the success of Prop fifty, but the story that I think will define this moment in the history books as we move into the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 15: Governor, thank you for what you're doing. Great conversation. I echo what everyone else said about you, Brian Tyler Cohen. He gave me that very nice intro. But you're the og in YouTube and you've paved the way for a lot of people like us. And thank you for putting this event together, Brian.
Speaker 5: Governor.
Speaker 3: Thanks for fighting for us.
Speaker 15: You give us all hope to see the governor the largest state in the United States, pushing back, fighting for democracy. Thanks for everything you're doing.
Speaker 5: Governor.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, brother, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you both.
Speaker 1: And look, this is again to echo what Ben and the Governor were saying. This is what it looks like when you actually put words behind action. For so long, Democrats have been begging for not just strongly worded letters, but for actual, real action, for actual push to what we're saying. And that's what we're seeing right here in California. But that's just half the battle. This thing is going to be a referendum on the ballot. But California is a huge state and it's going to real getting the word out to so many people and Republicans are already doing it. The day that this thing was announced, we had Republican operatives sending mailers out to every single address in the state. I know that if you live in California, you've seen them. You've gotten those mailers in your mailbox saying to vote no.
Speaker 2: We have to push back.
Speaker 1: This is our way to protect not just the future of the Democratic Party, but the future of democracy itself, and that relies on being able to reach all of those people who aren't paying attention to politics on a daily basis, which, to be honest, sounds good for everybody's mental health, but the reality is that it's going to take a lot of a lot of push from all of us who are paying attention to make sure that people know what's going on. So we are getting very close to our two hundred thousand dollars mark, which is a huge milestone. But please, if you haven't yet donated, go to yes on fifty live dot com. Okay, I'm so excited to be able to introduce our two next guests. We have Joe Carducci and Senator Alex Pardia. Alex Badia, I'm sure you've heard Jojo from jurors. She's worked so hard to make herself a household. I'm also very proud to be from the same home state as her, the state of New Jersey, where it should be known that we have the best pizza in the country. And Senator Padilla, us senator from right here in my new home state of California. This is the senator who made a name for himself this year by putting his body on the line when he was arrested by the Trump administration for daring speak out. And that's exactly the kind of forward leaning posture that we want to see from our elected officials.
Speaker 2: So I'll let you guys take it from here.
Speaker 17: Well, first of all, thank you, Brian. I did not know that you were from the Garden State, the greatest state in the country. No offense, I'm just kidding. I'm here from New Jersey participating in this event for Prop fifty in California because I understand that the stakes of this moment are much greater than the best state on the planet, which is of course New Jersey. Igin no offense, but Senator Padilla, it is wonderful to see you again under slightly better circumstances than the last time we spoke, But I just wanted, yeah, I'm happy to see your face. I feel like we bonded a little bit in a in a in a unique way through some tragedy that you know happened last week. But I wanted to just start with something that is important to me, a thread that ties us together, which is what we are, the children of immigrants. And the governor just said, in this country we celebrate diversity. Your parents, my dad, they believed in the American dream. They worked toward that end, they participated in achieving that. Donald Trump and Maga Republicans they don't appreciate that that diversity. They, on the on the other hand, quite the contrary, they're trying to attack it. And so I want to start there, if you might, with what's at stake right now, for the American dream, for for people like your parents, people like my dad.
Speaker 11: Sure, no, Jase, You're great to be back with you. And I mean, I think a couple of things. Why does Donald Trump have it in for California so badly? It's because California is like the opposite of his vision. The California is not the most popular state in the nation, the most diverse state in the nation, home to more immigrants than any state in the nation. And as you've been hearing, California has grown to become the fourth largest economy in the world. And that's not a coincidence. That doesn't just that doesn't happen despite the immigrant population. It's because of the immigrant population, the contributions of so many immigrants as workers, of course, but also as consumers and as entrepreneurs. But because of and there's a lot to say about Donald Trump here, but you know, California is the embodiment of what the future of the country is increasingly diverse, and we should be increasingly inclusive. We want to embrace the economic and cultural impact of it. But what does Donald Trump do? He attacks California. This mass deportation agenda that he has started his administration with is centered not just in California but my hometown of Los Angeles. So imagine how offended I feel as a proud son of immigrants when look any of my dad who worked for forty years as a short order cook.
Speaker 5: My mom worked for.
Speaker 11: Forty years cleaning houses so that my brother and my sister and I can get a good education.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 11: And achieve the American dream. And that's the same story of millions of immigrants throughout California and throughout the country, and Trump and Republicans just can't handle it. So instead of trying to build on that success and that strength, they try to demonize it and attack it. So it's one of the many arguments why we need to support Proposition fifty because Prop fifty has been the most powerful tool presented to us to rein in this out of control administration. They want to steal next November's election by rigging it before it even starts. But California is going to step up and push back by approving Prop fifty this November.
Speaker 17: I appreciate the fight coming from California very very much. This is obviously the moment to be meeting, and the governor and all of your leadership are meeting this moment extraordinarily, and so I want to speak to your point about what Republicans are doing and ask you why are they trying to cheat ahead of the midterms in twenty twenty six. I mean, what do they know?
Speaker 11: Look my point of view, both as a Californian and as a member of the Senate, here to me It's pretty obvious. You know, under normal circumstances, a party in power would be proud of their legislative accomplishments, and they'd run on their record and the midterms to try to stay in power. That's not what's happening here. They know how not just unpopular, but damaging their record has been right, this destruction of confidence in the judiciary, the federal government as we know it. There cuts to healthcare, their cuts the nutrition assistance programs, their tax breaks for billionaires, on.
Speaker 3: And on and on.
Speaker 11: The only hope they have to hold onto power next year is to rig the election before it even starts, So before I even get to redistricting, you know, whether it's legislation they've introduced or the executive orders to make it harder for eligible Americans to register to vote, to stay registered to vote, or to actually cast your ballot. That's just part of it. The Department of Justice, and I'm a member of the Judiciary. I've seen it up close and personal. They're politicizing the Department of Justice now, just like they did in the first Trump term, trying to obtain all the personal information of voters in select states to try to tee up the purging of voter rules, and on top of that this redistricting push. I mean, I don't know about you, but when I first saw the news report of Trump calling Governor Abbott in Texas saying five more Republican seats, it sounded a lot like when Donald Trump called this Secretary of State in Georgia in twenty twenty, when he said, find me eleven thousand more votes. They'll do anything to cling to power. That's what this is. And so as I try to sum it up to folks when I'm walking around, you know, if you care about reining in this administration that has overreached, violated through process and the constitution with their mass deportation agenda, If you care about the rising cost of groceries and housing and health care and energy and so much more, and you want to do something about it, you got to support Prop fifty. If you care about the rule of law and you know, defending the principles of our constitution, you have to support Prop fifty. It's the biggest check, it's the strongest guard rails against this out of control administration.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, you mentioned redistricting, and obviously this is what you know. Prop fifty is about. But Republicans will say, oh, this is the Democrats cheating, et cetera, et cetera. Right, this is not at all with the Democrats wanted. This was triggered by what they did in Texas. The Democrats have been the ones advocating for fair maps. Can you talk to that And what would you say to a Republican who says, oh, no, this is the Democrats cheating, or people in the state of California who think I can't vote yes on this because this isn't fair.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So be absolutely crystal clear on this. The only reason we are moving on Proposition fifty is in response to the abuse of power in Texas. You know, again at the behest of Donald Trump. And by the way, whether California would have responded to this or not, Republicans were going to stop in Texas. They saw five potential seats to pick up in Texas. But as we've seen in recent days and weeks, they're also looking to redistricts and are redistricting in Missouri and in Indiana and in Ohio. They're going to stop nowhere in their desperate efforts to cling to power. What California did is sight at the very beginning, they're going into Texas to try to rig the system. As much as we support independent redistricting and all that stuff, the stakes are simply too high. The threat of this administration and its impact, the devastating impact on working fountains is too high. We can't sit idly by and just watch it happen. We have to respond, We have to fight back. And so yes, it took a lot, not just for the California Legislature, but Governor Knew some of the California and Congressional delegation to support this new MEP and take it to the voters, for the voters to decide whether we push back on Trump with Proposition fifty. The early polls are good, but as we said earlier, there's a lot of money that doesn't like what's happening, and there's going to be no less than one hundred and fifty million dollars, maybe two hundred million dollars against Proposition fifty, including Speaker Mike Johnson's pack money coming into California to try to defeat Proposition fifty. That's what we're up again. So let me take this opportunity for anybody tuning in however you can support. If you can't support, we need your support because we're up against a lot of big money. Who knows that California's move here is the big check against the Trump agenda. So we need your help volunteerism and activism on the ground of financial contribution if you can.
Speaker 1: With no further ado, I know that a lot of folks are very excited, So I'm going to introduce our next guest here.
Speaker 2: We've got Tim Fullerton. Tim helped start.
Speaker 1: This show, I should note first and foremost, so a big shout out to Tim. He also had a practice session, we can say, in launching White Dudes for Harris help that gain prominence, and he served many roles in the Obama administration. And importantly he started the find Out podcast, which I'm a huge fan of. And we need more folks in independent media. So I'm grateful that Tim and his co hosts have jumped into this space. And now we've got members of the West Wing cast, Deuleat Hill and Martin Sheen.
Speaker 2: I know that for so.
Speaker 1: Many people watching right now, you both are the platonic ideal of what politics can be. And most importantly, thank you for staying engaged and involved, because it would be really easy to just you know, show up on set, do your thing, make a great show, and kind of step back and fall back into, you know, just having been an actor. But the fact is that you're using your voices now for you know, to stay engaged in this political process, and so you know, on behalf of myself and everybody watching, thank you so much for doing that and looking forward to the conversation here all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's my pleasure to be here.
Speaker 18: I think it's important for all of us to actively stay involved in any way that we can, because when we take our eye off the ball, we take our eye off the prize, then you see what has what can happen, and it can happen swiftly. You know, when I saw the results of the election last year, I knew that there would be challenges. I knew that they would be an assault on our liberties, but I could not fathom what I'm seeing now. It really breaks my heart when I see our loss of humanity. I see how we are going to the extremes and we are find are lacking the ability to find common ground. I mean, we are one year in and these are trying times. And only way that I feel that we can even have some type of backstop to this onslaught that is happening is by winning in the mid terms. And I truly believe, I'll say to myself often I say to others, that democracy works when we, the people work it.
Speaker 5: That's how my democracy stays alive.
Speaker 18: And the only way that we can the best way for us to fight this battle for the soul of our nation, for the character of who.
Speaker 14: We are, is at the ballot box. That's what we have to do.
Speaker 18: And I truly believe that all things being equal, if we were given the opportunity to freely vote the way we have, then it would be a no brainer that the Democrats would win. There would be balance put back into the system, and that.
Speaker 5: Would be that.
Speaker 18: But I do believe that also that these extremist politicians are very aware that they cannot win the battle on their merits.
Speaker 14: They cannot win reelection on their merits.
Speaker 18: So the same people who a few years ago were crying about a stolen election and supported people who really acted in a way that was not supportive of our democracy, are now actually trying to steal an election. They're not even doing it in the shadows. They're being very overt about what they are doing, But what really, I guess affects me is that they're taking.
Speaker 5: Away the voice of the people.
Speaker 18: It's one thing if you were going to do this redishising plan and you were going to bring it to the citizens, like bring it to the citizens, that's how democracy works.
Speaker 14: Lets people talk about it.
Speaker 18: If you were doing it that way and then the people voted for that, I would have nothing to say. But the fact that they're doing it in the dark rooms of the legislatures across the country, at least in Texas now empty to do it in other places, that is where I think is a line too far. And I appreciate what the governor of California is doing, what the legislature here is doing, by giving us the power to have our voice be heard, by giving us a way to be able to stand up for ourselves, and by giving us a pathway to be able to keep our democracy alive. And that's the main reason why I'm here, is to play my part. I always say, if I can get a billion people to move a billion stones, then we can move a mountain. And I think in this situation, if we can get people to get involved, to get engaged, to support Yes on fifty here in California, and to use their voice across the nation. I believe the Democrats will get back the House, and at that point we can put some type of balance back into the system, because we've seen what happens when there is imbalance, and right now it is all out of whack and there's too much extremism happening in our politics right now.
Speaker 14: So that's why I'm here and I'm always down to support in any way I can.
Speaker 16: Well, thank you, Julia, and it's all of that was really well said, and I think it's really important thing that you mentioned, which is, you know, Texas did this behind closed doors. You know, the Trump administration called Governor Abbott's team and said I need you to I need you to find five seats. He actually said it, I need you to find five seats for me, and then they did this unilaterally. And I think that that's why it's great that we're doing it and the GWAG Governor Newsom's doing it is the way to do it with a people powered movement, And so I want to turn so I think everybody on this call probably would prefer our next guest to actually be the president of the United States. At this moment, we have Martin Sheen, who has I think played a president twice and has been a chief of staff once and actually has been I believe, arrested more times than Donald Trump, but for very good reasons standing up for what's right. So Margie, thank you. It is an honor to speak to you. It would love to hear from you about why why voting yes on Prop fifty is so important?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you.
Speaker 10: Can you hear me?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 3: We can?
Speaker 10: All right? Good? Yeah, Renee left the room. My engineer here is my daughter who runs this machine. Frankly, I don't own a computer and I don't even know how to turn it on if I did have one, so I'm counting on my family. Here is Delay. Well know, he's good to see you again. Delay. Thank you for including me in this effort. You know, I've been involved in supporting liberal politics, democratic politics, specifically with the possible exception of John Lindsay when he ran from mayor in nineteen sixty five in New York, I supported him, But also that same year I supported Bobby Kennedy in his race for the US Senate, and so this is not you know, unusual for me to be involved, and not just in democratic politics, but in peace and social justice issues because I can't really separate them. And what the our governor here in California so bravely did was to stand up to the landslide of effort and lies that are that are pulling the the Constitution and the Bill of Rights down the tubes. And so our effort is to put a stop to it and to retrieve as much as we possibly can. I've never seen it this bad in my life, frankly. And you know, we've been watching the opposition to Proposition fifty on every local channel we have, and some of the uh, the streamers as well adds against us voting to de vote no on fifty and there their reasoning is that it's undemocratic to you know, jurymander here and how dare we do this? Why we we we should stand up as patriotic Americans and stop this. There's not a mention of Texas or the possibility of Missouri or Ohio, got forbid my home state or Indiana, and so, uh, we have to, you know, we have to.
Speaker 3: We can't always.
Speaker 10: Choose our fights very often were we are called to fight in foreign lands on with with with with with unfamiliar ground, and this is one of those times. We've never been in this situation before. I've watched this administratives, watching Caspital being drilled by our good senator from UH, you know, UH California today and and I don't know if any of you saw the exchange between the two of them and made the national news, but that level of ahead of the FBI or any of the other agencies is astonishing to me. There is no possible way that any of these people at the head of any of the UH, the CAB and its ministries that we have right now would ever make it in any other administration. Mac Donald Trump. And when they look at each other across the room around in the cabinet room, and they look at each other, they don't see anyone on the other side back and forth that is better than they are, is more heroic, has more courage. They in a real sense, I suspect they despise each other because there isn't anyone on the other side that is better than they are. And they are looking at the worst reflection of themselves, and they are reflecting the policy that we're seeing that they refer to about the scandalous mask bandits as draving people of our streets in public and disappearing people. And you know, so often when people are in the and in normal times, if you want to call it normal, when people were deported, they usually went back to the country they came from. Now they're being sent basically, they're being punished because very often they're being sent to countries that have you know, they're foreign to them, they don't have the same language, the same culture, and they are thousands and thousands of miles away from their two homes. And this has become normal. We are what we're seeing. We saw that, you know, the when the Marines marched through our downtown park, it was literally a walk in the park. There was no there was no reason for them to be there. It is a All that we're seeing is a reflection of a strong man trying to get a grip and it's slipping out of his hands. Chicago stood up and said, no, please, don't come here, and we're going to give you every reason why we don't need you. We've got good law enforcement, we've got good sanitation here, we've got good health care. You're not needed here, Please stay home, look after your families and your states. And so we don't have any choice but to go in the direction that we're being called by Governor Newsom. And I dare say, and maybe I shouldn't say this of him, but I think this move was his declaration for the White House. I think he's going to run, and more power to him, and he will have this to his credit. So I'm urging people to deal with what we have, not with what we wish we had or what we had in the past, but what we have now, which is this opportunity to stop this basic thievery. The you know, Thomas Paine said, the rights of man are not given by the gracious hand of any state, but must be protected therein. And this is where we have to rise and embrace our constitution and bring us all together with what really is at stake. We're facing an out of control, chaotic uh, a madman who wakes up every day and thinks of a different level of chaos. And his his uh UH, his cabinet members, all the people and in his administration pick up the lot and they carry it out, and they are all a reflection of him. But I think we're better than that, and I think we can we can build a better future and can end the chaos and end the despair and the uh, the feelings of that we that we we don't have any power left. Look at Chicago just this week, the mad Man turned around and said, well, I guess I'm not welcome there. Let's find so Memphis. Oh, yes, of course Memphis. I can do well there. Well, let's see what happens. But what Governor Newsom has done here in California has struck a chord. It has lit a candle in this darkness. And I pray and hope that people what's possible and that we can turn this thing around. And this is one very important issue for the whole country to look at and to follow. Yes on fifty please God, Yes.
Speaker 5: Well well said.
Speaker 16: And for those of you who haven't donated yet, which I don't know how you could not donate after listening to that, please go to yeson fifty live dot com. Push us over the three hundred thousand mark. All of this money is is coming from individuals giving five, ten, fifteen to twenty dollars, and we are fighting against people who are writing quarter million dollar checks, million dollar checks. We are going to win this, and I think before we go, I just want to ask one more question for both both of you. Is you gave us a little bit of hope there. And you know, I think the West Wing Show was something that I watched in high school and then ended up going into politics. Who worked in the Obama administration and things like that leave us with something. You know, Martin, you left us something.
Speaker 3: Really hopeful and powerful.
Speaker 2: Delay.
Speaker 16: I'm going to give it to you the last bit because I know we got a bounce because we've got Congressman, Congressman Rasking and Congressman and Crockett on who by the way, if you if we win this ballot initiative, they're going to be the ones subpoena and they're the ones that they're going to be asking questions of the Trump administration. So, Doulee, I'm going to give you the last word.
Speaker 18: I'll say this, the power is in our hands. You know, there's nothing that if a bunch of people get together, there's nothing that we cannot overcome. I said before a billion people to move a billion stones, then we can move a mountain. And even in these dark times when the cloud is hovering above the clouds of extremism, the clouds of hate, the clouds of division. Just beyond those storm clouds, the sun is always shining. So if we could just keep preacient, keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep our eyes on the prize, I know that we will be victorious. America always has, America will now today, and America always will and now tomorrow, as long as we stay engaged.
Speaker 5: So let's vote.
Speaker 10: I would only yeah, I would only add, just very simply, Fear is useless, faith is necessary. Yes, on fifty.
Speaker 2: Awesome, We'll leave it there.
Speaker 5: I was trying.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I was trying a bit where I was standing.
Speaker 1: You can't really see it in the zoom, but I was about to say, in this building, when the president stands, nobody sits.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's next? That was awesome.
Speaker 1: My nod to you, Thank you, thank you all for the time tonight.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it. And Tim, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you very well, thank you so much, all the best of everybody.
Speaker 1: Very excited to introduce our next two. We have Olivia Juliana. I first learned of Olivia when Matt Gates tried to mock her online, and she used his mockery to raise over two million dollars for abortion rights. So what a badass move. And he's out of Congress, and so you got the last laugh. Juliana is a political activist, abortion rights advocate, and a strategist from Texas, so knows firsthand about all the bullshit that's going on right now. She was formerly the director of Politics and Government Affairs at gen Z for Change.
Speaker 2: And she's a dear friend of mine.
Speaker 1: Very happy to have you, and of course a congresswoman who needs no introduction. Very excited to be introducing Representative Jasmine Crockett. She is one of my favorite people in elected office. She is a badass, a fighter, and attorney, one of the most dynamic and interesting and engaging voices that we have on the left. Could not be more excited to listen to your conversation here.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Brian Well Congresswoman Crockett.
Speaker 19: It sure seems like everyone's got something to say about our.
Speaker 8: Home now, don't they.
Speaker 20: Yeah, forget reason though, it is a hot ass, miss, But I am so thankful for California, and not only for.
Speaker 21: The leadership, real leadership. Do we need in this moment, but also for the people.
Speaker 20: You know, this is something that is going to be people led, people driven, and ultimately the people will decide. And with everything that I've seen about the pushback that we are.
Speaker 21: Delivering to this regime that is currently in power, I am believing.
Speaker 20: That the people of California are woke enough to know that it is time to fight fire with fire. And what that means for those in the back that don't understand my language, what that means is that if Texas is going to redistrict and Jerrymander and also silence the voices of black and brown communities, that California will also make sure that they give more voice to their constituents in the form of Prop.
Speaker 21: Fifty.
Speaker 20: And so this is just in response to make sure that those bad policies that they are currently signing up for that they actually have some accountability, because that's what democracy looks like. The final thing that I'll say so that you can go on with their question is that today was very interesting. It's always interested on the.
Speaker 21: Hill or how to have missed, either way you want to look at it.
Speaker 20: But nevertheless, so we're there and we were voting on a rule for a bill, and I was like, what's taking so long? Because I was ready to go debate the next thing. I just knew it was gonna pass, they were gonna vote it, but it wasn't. It wasn't passing. And in fact, this rule was going down and there were like six Republicans they voted with the Democrats. So it was like, well, who are the six Republicans. Well, of the six, I think three or four were out of California. So we can see that even the threat of actually holding them accountable has made them start to shift how they're voting. In fact, they were able to get enough to switch over so that they could go ahead and.
Speaker 21: Pass the rule.
Speaker 20: But one of the loudest kind of upset people, Kevin Kylee. He did not change his vote because he plans to run. He knows it's going to be an uphill battle, and now he believes that he should be held accountable or how he votes.
Speaker 21: But my question is, bro, where.
Speaker 13: Have you been.
Speaker 20: You should have been voting in the interest of your constituents anyway. So I'll just leave it there right now, even without this thing going to the ballot, they.
Speaker 21: Are having an impact.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll say this. You know, behind me, I have portraits of Anne Richards and Barbara Jordan, And if you're watching and you don't know who they are, look them up. And it's because of women like this, women like you. I'm glad that you're on.
Speaker 19: My side because I was at the public redistricting hearings that were held here in Texas about these maps. I was at the one at the state Capitol, and I was at the one in Houston, and so I sat through ten hours of public testimony from Texans all over the state who sat there and begged, begged for our Republican lawmakers to have a conscience and to do the right thing. And they sat there and I'll be honest with y'all, they didn't care. They didn't care. They had made their minds up before they walked into that room. And I think that you are the most uniquely positioned person in the country to really give people insight into what the Texas legislature looks like, what Congress looks like, and what this means for the rest of the country. Because not only are you a member of Congress from Texas you had your district redistricted, but you were also a member of the Texas legislature. So what is the big picture here that people may not be understanding and why is Texas so important in this conversation.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 20: First of all, my favorite organization is the Heritage Foundation, and usually I feel like Texas becomes the crash dummy for every single bad type of legislation that they want to try out throughout the South. And so this is no different right as it's already been laid out by my colleagues that they started in Texas, but they were definitely never planning to end in Texas. And if anybody believes that there's something that California did that made them say, well, now we've got to do more, No, this was always their plan. The plan was to start in Texas, but then it was to move on to Missouri, it was to move on to Indiana. They even were trying to go after Clyburn in South Carolina. They're planning to go after Florida. They are trying to do this any and everywhere that they think they can get away with it, and so they wanted to test it out in Texas.
Speaker 21: That's number one.
Speaker 20: Number two, We literally have people that are elected to office that are supposed to represent the interests of the people that put them into office. And as we both sat through hearings, because I attended more than one hearing myself, you know, it was interesting to have Representative a Suit who was leading those field hearings and leading the redistrict saying my class made to the Texas House pretend that he had no recollection of anything.
Speaker 21: That took place in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 20: Now, listen, I've never professed to have the best memory, but I can remember, like yesterday, being on the floor arguing with the Republicans telling them that we had grown the state by ninety five percent people of color. So the idea that we got two new seats because of the growth that Texas experienced where we added over four million people over the last decade once we completed our census, and ultimately we got two new Anglo seats, that's that Republican math.
Speaker 21: That's that is that Republican math.
Speaker 20: Right, these were Anglo majority seats that they ended up creating, and they're just like, yeah, okay, it worked out. We added one hundred and eighty thousand Anglos in a decade. Each congressional seat is seven hundred and sixty six thousand people. So you tell me, in fact that it is a microcosm of what they are doing right now. You tell me how one hundred and eighty thousand people end up with two seats where they're the major majority and the seats are seven hundred and sixty six thousand people. That is what they are doing. They're not only doing Donald Trump's bidding, but it's at the expense of so many communities they've already been disenfranchised. Texas has over four million African Americans, more African Americans than any other state. We had five African Americans that had been elected to Congress. When Colin already ended up running for the Senate, he was replaced by a non African American, which is perfectly fine. We then ended up down to four African Americans. Okay, now what they're saying is we're going to cut that into two. You'll only have an opportunity to elect Al Green or whoever wins the eighteenth. And really what they're trying to do is set it up to where it's most likely me or Mark VC in the Dallas area. So you explained to me how on God's green Earth in a state in which Angloes were not growing at all. And we know that if we look at which group has the vast majority, not the vast majority, but has the plurality of representation, it's actually Latinos in the state of Sexes. Latinos have the largest demographic in the entire state. Do they have the largest demographic of opportunities to lay people to Congress?
Speaker 21: Absolutely not.
Speaker 20: In fact, we are a majority minority state, we are sixty forty. Yet somehow after these maps were done, we're looking at having less minorities being.
Speaker 21: Able to choose their representation.
Speaker 20: So I want to say that this is bigger than my state, your state. This is about us as the United States and what it is that we are fighting for. There is only one side that is willing to stand up to this regime. There is only one side that is willing to conduct investigations.
Speaker 21: There is only one.
Speaker 20: Side that is willing to hold their incompetency and their feet to the fire.
Speaker 21: There's only one side.
Speaker 20: And so while people haven't started to feel the effects of being kicked.
Speaker 21: Off their healthcare, they're about to.
Speaker 20: While people may not have fully felt the effects of the increases in their utility bills they're about to while people already know that these tariffs are already hitting and creating pretty hard to the extent that they are shutting down our small businesses, and our farm bankruptcies are up fifty eight, fifty five or fifty eight percent, don't remember which one. Already, our farmers are filing for bankruptcy. Yo, Like, we are in a crisis, and it is because the Republicans don't have a backbone. So it's time to make sure that we show them that the Democrats are ready to fight. So that means that California, we need you in this moment.
Speaker 21: We need your.
Speaker 20: Dollars, we need your time, and we absolutely need your vote.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and I'll close this out with this. In a perfect world, we don't have to do mid decade redition. In a perfect world, partisan jerrymandering is banned. But also in a perfect world, women aren't losing their ability to have children because they're going into sepsis, and children in Texas are having books banned in their schools. These are the things that would happen in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world. We live in reality.
Speaker 8: And so if you're not sure if you're going on this for you in California and how this benefits you, well, it benefits a lot of people, and it benefits people like me, young people who live in Texas where this is our reality every single day. And so you have a chance and an opportunity to not just set yourself up and your future for success, but for young people like me in this state of over thirty million people who just want the chance to build our own American dream perfectly.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you both. I appreciate you being on. Olivia Representative Crockett, thank you.
Speaker 2: Both for being here.
Speaker 1: Okay, very excited to introduce our next two guests. We have a dear friend of mine, Jack Kocchirella, who is a progressive political commentator. And I know he's laughing because I'm having a lot of trouble saying his life name. Is the first time I actually ever said is his last name out loud? But in my defense, in my defense, you guys look at co C H I A R E L L A and try to and try to do that.
Speaker 22: It just means you love me.
Speaker 2: That's it I do.
Speaker 1: He is everywhere online. I am so grateful for his voice in this independent media space. He is one of the people who gets it beyond everybody else. So Jack, thank you so much for the work that you're doing on a daily basis helping make our independent media's ecosystem stronger and stronger every single day. And now we have our first gen Z Member of Congress, Congressman Maxwell Frost.
Speaker 2: Congressman.
Speaker 1: My only hope is that the next generation of Democrats, which I hope we see uh start to happen in a big way in twenty twenty six, that they look a lot like you. So thank you for being fearless, thank you for being outspoken. Thank you for being a leader not just among folks in your generation, but in the party more broadly. So go ahead, I'll leave, I'll let it. I'll let you guys take it away from here.
Speaker 22: Absolutely. Thank you, Brian, You're in inspiration to Assaul. And maybe we're breaking a little bit of news here. I think I said this in our last interview, but I am with my member of Congress. That makes me very excited. We know the facts of this case, we know the facts of what's happening right now with this administration, and we are seeing a rise in a crisis of affordability. That's a fact. There's more law breaking under this administration than ever before.
Speaker 11: We know.
Speaker 22: It's a fact that Donald Trump, Greg Abbott they want to disenfranchise black and brown voters around the country. But I want to talk about feelings real quick, Congressman, how would you feel to make this guy right here, very very very sad.
Speaker 23: How would that make you feel? Because I think that's important. Yeah, I think it is really important.
Speaker 13: People know.
Speaker 11: It makes me feel amazing.
Speaker 23: And this is actually part of the reason we need to win the majority, because I promise you that one of the first people to receive us a poena will be Stephen Miller. Tell you guy is one of the most evil people, and not just in government but in this country, and we need to hold him accountable as well.
Speaker 22: And his suits they just they don't They don't fit at all.
Speaker 3: He looks terrible.
Speaker 22: I think it's because like the fabric is repelled by him. Like there's just got to be something about Steven Miller. I also just looking for looking at him. We don't get needed, like, you know, trash him personally, but I think we can. I bet he just doesn't smell great either. But of course Republicans aren't just focused on Texas. This this fight has spread or I guess it's not a fight we're taking on the fight. What they're doing is is a little bit different, but we certainly know that it wants to spread across the country. Ronda Santis certainly someone not not new to falling in line with Donald Trump and getting embarrassed because of it.
Speaker 3: How are we going to make sure.
Speaker 22: That this is is a tone setting moment in California telling the rest of Republicans across the country, Hey, if you I don't want to say it, you're fuck around you find out well.
Speaker 23: Yeah, and for people who don't know, you know, of course they're moving to moving forward Texas, they're trying to figure out other places they can do this as well. They're moving forward with this in Florida as well, and we have pulled it across the entire state. Democrats, Republicans, independents come out when they're asked, are you in favor of the state of Florida redistricting to help Donald Trump get a majority? They say no every single time. And so part of what we're you know, part of what we're looking to do in our state is make sure that people understand what they're trying to do. And you brought up DeSantis.
Speaker 13: A lot of people don't know this.
Speaker 23: DeSantis and Trump hate each other. Donald Trump hates Ronda Santis. And what rond De Santans is trying to do is he's about to not be the governor of Florida anymore next year. He's going to be to have two years where he's not an elected official. But he really wants to run for president and he knows he can't win that Republican primary without Donald Trump's help. So he has turned into Donald Trump's lap dog that Donald Trump actually hates, and he wants to do everything he can to be in the news, to get a news cycle, to lick the Buddha Donald Trump, to try to earn some of that support so he's not completely irrelevant. And that's why we've seen all these things from redistricting, even the Everglades detention facility, the internment camp, Alligator Alcatraz, all this stuff he's doing because the dude wants to run for president. He has no juice.
Speaker 5: Nobody likes him, even.
Speaker 3: In his own party.
Speaker 11: He does not have the sauce.
Speaker 22: And you heard his voice, have you seen his boots.
Speaker 23: So this is what's going on in the state of Florida. I want to make sure people know. Jasmin brought it up. I always tell this people Project twenty twenty five. All this stuff everyone's seeing now, that's Florida twenty twenty Okay. This stuff that they're trying across this country, they've been doing in the South for a long time. They passed the Big Beautiful Bill for billionaires, the largest chansfer of weal from the working class to billionaires, the rich getting rich, of the poor getting poorer, working class getting poor as well. They know they can't win the election because people are pissed off about it. In fact, Donald Trump sent his top people to Capitol Hill to tell the Republican Party, Hey, you got to stop call it the Big Beautiful Bill Act because it's so unpopular. We got to rebrand it. Bro, you named it the Big Beautiful Bill Act. You have the word beautiful in there. The facts of the matter are so bad that people don't like it, even your own party. And now they're trying to figure out how to change it. It's so unpopular. They know they're going to lose, and so they want to cheat. They want to cheat because they don't want to lose, and that's what's going on right now.
Speaker 22: Yeah, they're terrified, and they're also terrified because they know that what we do have a bit of hope, and of course the momentum is mounting. I want to talk about not just what we'll do when we do, in fact, when the house back, but the successes that you've already had. You brought up with Steven Miller and all the rest of those goons like to call alligator Alcatraz. Of course you made a big move that I want you to talk about, and maybe we keep it open or reopen it for Steven Miller. I don't know in a couple of years, But can you talk about how we're still winning right now and what that means for when we actually do have the house back.
Speaker 23: Well, something that I always sold organizers when I was on the front lines of Black Lives Matter, and then I think about a lot now as a member of Congress that doesn't have all the seats we want, is when you don't have all the power you want, you use all the power you got.
Speaker 11: And one of the most.
Speaker 23: Important things we can do right now as elected officials is use our powers of oversight, especially as it relates to this what I would say is a campaign of terrorism on our communities, of going in and kidnapping people and human trafficking them to other countries and other states. And when this facility was open, not just myself, but many of the representatives across the state of Florida pulled up and said, we want to go in to see what's going on. And we didn't just do that. We coordinated with a lot of the people engage in lawsuits, and we were able to find out what information do you need from the inside, what can we get? We went in there and we got it. I want a second time and spoke with people who were being detained there and got even more information. Many of us did declarations, some of us served as witnesses in the federal case, and many of you saw that we got that place shut down. A judge came out a few about a week ago and reverse that it's going to be back and forth in court. But as of right now, that facility is not operating because of the work of the organizations that buy the lawsuit, but because elected officials said, you know what, we have privilege where you have positions of power. How can we use that the support organizers, How can we use it to support this lawsuit to shut the place down? The Santus is opening up another one in Northford, and guess what, I'll be pulling up to that one as well. We got to do everything we can in this moment with what we got, and I'm really proud of that what we did with Alligator Alcatraz, because I think it shows what happens when elected officials work with organizers, work with the people on the ground. We're not going to win one hundred percent of the time, but sometimes we will win, and it it feels good to win, and like it's going to feel good on election day at the end of this year when California passes this.
Speaker 11: Absolutely it is.
Speaker 22: And if you want to make sure that that happens, go to yes on fifty the number fifty live dot com. Yes, I'm fifty live and I want this segment actual you and I to have the most I don't know if that's Brian's gonna tell me those numbers later, but I'm gonna make the point of saying, this is the person that you can really upset, that is our vice president.
Speaker 11: If you go and donate.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna show it to you again. Jump scared again.
Speaker 11: This is the look at that take take a look at that face.
Speaker 23: Yeah, face to donate the more you don't.
Speaker 22: Like him exactly, I need, I need Joe, and we'll do it one more time.
Speaker 23: This guy right here, all right there, Oh my god.
Speaker 22: Please guess on fifty live dot com turn out and fight people.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you both.
Speaker 1: I should note that that works because we just passed four hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So thank you for a good thing.
Speaker 22: Steven Miller ever did is help us to raise money.
Speaker 1: Thank you for showing his ugly ass face.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And thank you to everybody who's donated. For those who haven't yet donated, this is the whole ball game here. We've been begging for Democrats to fight. This is what it looks like for Democrats to fight. They've done their part. We've got this thing on the ballot on November fourth. Now it's just a matter of making sure that we can raise enough money grassroots so that people all across this state know what's on the ballot, know what the stakes are in this upcoming election. So if you haven't yet donated, and you have a few bucks, donate here instead of going and getting a coffee somewhere, five, ten, fifteen bucks. It makes a huge difference, and you can add the add your own name to the throngs of people who've already donated. We are fast approaching a half a million dollars in just a couple.
Speaker 2: Of hours tonight.
Speaker 11: And if you completely.
Speaker 1: Hate that guy, if you really hate Stephen Miller and jd Vance, then your way to show that right now is to go to yes on fifty live dot com. All right, Jack and Congressman Frost, thank you so much for being here tonight.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Very excited to ask our next guest to come in. We've got Aby Burns Tucker, who is a graduate of Southwestern Law School, works as a social influencer. A social media influencer under the name I Am legally Hype. If you are not yet following her, you want to follow her, trust me. She's gained over half a million followers across every platform by breaking down comp.
Speaker 2: Cad political and legal issues.
Speaker 1: She's also a political correspondent with The Shade Room. So again, if you're not yet following, do yourself a favor and follow, and thank you for the work you're doing breaking this stuff down.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: I know it is a herculean feet task that you've taken on. And she's joined by two amazing fighters for democracy. We have Representative com Lagger Dove and also Representative Aguilar. Very excited to introduce you both from California's thirty seventh and thirty third. Thank you so much for being here, for supporting independent media. Looking forward to the conversation.
Speaker 13: Yay, I'm so excited. I'm excited to be joined by you both.
Speaker 24: Okay, Representative call Blogger Dove and Representative Aguilar. We've got California and the House, okay, baby, because y'all already know when Republicans go low, baby, in California, we get ready to squabble up. Okay, And we got two representatives here that are ready to fight for you and fight we gonna do because I mean, and I'll say my homegirl Liz earlier, I'll not y'all seeing her, but it's upsetting me and my homegirl, Okay, because if you can't go to California to fight Jerry Mandarin, where can you go?
Speaker 13: Where can you go? So let's get into it. I'm excited. So my first question is this call Mucker Dove. I'll let you go.
Speaker 24: First, Republicans are out here and they're just trying to take power. Hey, they redrawn congessional maps mid decade so they can stand control.
Speaker 13: So first tell us why the hell are they doing this?
Speaker 24: Then talk about what exactly is Prop fifty, and then we're going to go into why Prop fifty is the perfect clot back for all this stuff.
Speaker 5: Going on.
Speaker 25: Back in the House. So you know, why are they doing this. They're doing this because they know they're going to lose in November. Right. First, they did this four point five trillion dollar tax cut for billionaires. They thought, ooh, okay, people were going to be asleep at the wheel and be okay with that. Then we saw eggs started costing fifteen dollars a dozen and they were hard to find in the grocery stores and gas who were going up to and then they said, well, we're going to have to pay for all these tax cuts by cutting your health care. So we had seven hundred and seventy billion dollar cut to Medicare. We've seen cuts in medicaid in the state of California, you know, shutting down and firing federal departments, firing federal workers, shutting down USAID, which is as much about foreign eight as it is about making sure that our farmers, hello, California is a farming state, are being able to get these contracts. So all of it's going to hell in a handbasket. And the American people started waking up, and they were like, oh, homie's not playing any of this because this man ran for office to make the cost of living go down, not to have its skyrocket and then have all the money go into his pockets because he's so you know, confused that all he wants to do is put more golden condolapras in the White House and then lind these arbitrary tariffs around the world so that we as consumers have to pay more. So he said, hey, who's coming up. Folks are waking up to the game. They might vote some of these Republicans out of office because these Republicans are not listening to the people.
Speaker 21: So let me follow my.
Speaker 25: Governors in these red states and see which one will do what I ask And what I'm asking for is more seats.
Speaker 21: I need more red seats. Gerrymander.
Speaker 25: They still they're regging it. And so who entered the call, Gregory Abbott, and he went into a back room, wheeled on in there and without even consulting other Republican legislators. Okay, that's how nasty they are. He we read you some maps. And in doing that, what he did was he's silencing voters in Texas and he's erasing the possibility for people of color, black folks, brown folks to be able to run for those seats. He is cutting off the pipeline at the local level because he's getting rid of seats at the federal level where folks would run. So, you know, the Bear was hibernating. Were trying to handle our own business. Get these ice agents all up out of Los Angeles, right and make sure that folks can go to their job, go to their churches, go to their hearings without being snatched and kidnapped and detained and deported. But the Bear woke up and said, I don't think so, And we came up with Prop fifty. And you know, our Democratic Caucus, Cheryl, well, I think share about you know what Prop fifty is, But what we know is transparent.
Speaker 21: We know it's temporary. We know it's fare and we know that it obeys the law.
Speaker 13: Did I set you up?
Speaker 21: Meet Petere Aguilar?
Speaker 11: You did?
Speaker 3: You did? Asked KD.
Speaker 26: I thank you so much. Good to be with you, ab And just like Sidney said, look, this is California punching back, doing everything we can, and we know we have the winning recipe because this is transparent. As Sydney said, Texas and Greg Abbott just change the system and try to steal five seats. We go to the voters and we created a map collaboratively working together to punch back. But we may it temporary. The independent commission that we like comes back in twenty thirty one. We respect the Voting Rights Act, we respect black and brown districts, and we make sure that we are meeting this moment and punching back appropriately. And so that's why we're transparent, we're fair, you know. Because of that, we're.
Speaker 5: Going to have success with proposition.
Speaker 26: Fifty yes on fifty live dot com is where people can go to help out. Five zero yes on fifty live dot com. Thank you guys so much for elevating this platform and forgiving us this space to talk about this because this is so incredibly important. We cannot let Republicans steal an election. I absolutely believe, and Sydney and I both subscribe to what Latifa said. This is about free and fair elections in twenty twenty six and in twenty twenty eight, and we won't have those if Republicans can consolidate power around these terrible policies and rig them system as they go each and every month.
Speaker 25: It's also about jobs, It's about health care. It's about having a future for your family. It's about being able to go to school and get an education.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 25: It's about not being afraid that all of the colleges and universities in your town are going to dry up. It's about knowing that you can walk outside your home and not be detained and deported, not be lynched because of the color of your skin. You know, these are folks that want a national abortion band. They are doing every single thing that they can to take us back to pre Jim Crow and I am not being hyperbolic. So it is about democracy, but it is also about the money in your pocket and your ability to earn and learn and have a family. And if folks don't want you engaged if they don't want you to be able to vote, if they don't want you to have love for your country, then they have won and we cannot let that happen no way, not now, not.
Speaker 21: Ever, okay.
Speaker 13: Period.
Speaker 24: And with that the insaid, right, not only do we need y'all money, but we need y'all to pull up and actually vote. Right, So, turnout and special elections are usually pretty low, right, especially in black and minority communities. Rep Agular, I think your district is what something like sixty percent Hispanic and maybe about ten percent black? Rap pumlager Dove, I think there's something about fifty four percent black or Hispanic, about twenty percent black some right there? Why the seas right, Why do you think it's so hard for us to get these people out like or get these people out to vote? Are we not communicating properly? Is it a failure on political leadership? Are we not meeting voters where they are?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 24: What do we need to do to make sure not only we get the money to make sure we get the message out, but we get these people registered to vote. Today is National Registration Day, Registered to vote and out voting so that we can redistrict and Yes on Prop fifty Regular, I start with you.
Speaker 26: Ye, National voting Registration Day. This is so incredibly important. I think the answer to your question is we have to inspire people. And just like Sidney said, we have to make this about the American public and what they benefit. When we are able to govern and when Leader Jeffrees becomes Speaker Jeffrees, We're going to be able to lower the costs of health care for people. We're going to be able to put more money in people's pockets. We're going to be able to clean up the culture of corruption that allows the President to trade in mean coins on the Supreme Court, to run around and without a code of ethics or any principles at all. I mean, those are the things that we're going to be able to do when when we have the ability to push back legislatively. But to Sidney's point, we have to make this and center this around the American public and they are getting crushed by costs, They're getting crushed in this Trump economy, and we have to connect the dots and tell them why Yes on fifty to help them. And so that's the important piece, But we have to do more. We got to knock on doors. We got to reach people. We got to tell them this is just going to be a small ballot. We just need them to put in yes and send it back in. And because in California we have an ability for mail in voting that doesn't exist around the country, and we have a strong ability to allow people to exercise their right to vote, we need to make sure that they use it, that they use their voice, and that they do it. Around the country, people are waiting in lines for hours. We're making this easy for people. If you're working two jobs, if you're picking up your kids from school late, you don't have to make that choice so that I'm going to pick up my kids late or go to vote. You can do it in the comfort of your own home. And you can You're going to have a ballot at your home in just a couple of weeks, all right.
Speaker 24: So y'all go onto the projects with me, right to get num clubs registered to votes. Yes, clean, Okay, that's what I'm talking about. Now, he's the other thing. So the message is going out from the other side, right. I didn't seen the commercials. I was at my granny house this past weekend. Actually, my granny and YO district. Aguilar, my granny out there in your district. I was at her house.
Speaker 13: All got cable at home.
Speaker 24: Okay, my granny and them got cable, so they seeing the messages right. And some Republicans are out here claiming that Prop Fitty actually hurts democracy and strips the power from voters.
Speaker 13: Tell us why they lion call moradough.
Speaker 25: Well, I hate to say it, but right now they lyon just because they're Republicans and they're scared to tell the truths under Donald Trump. It just is what it is. And so we have to bring courage back up in here into this fight. And Democrats have the courage because, like I said, we weren't trying to do this, but we have to do this. We have to do it for Texas.
Speaker 21: We have to do it for Missouri, we have to do it for Indiana.
Speaker 25: We have to do it for Florida. We have to do it for Ohio. We have to do it for California. You know they have more money. We're doing this like World aid is World Aid for democracy because we need to raise this money to get the information out a single issue ballot in November when you're already tired from twenty twenty four. That is a heavy lift. Okay, we still got the ninety two percent out there. Folks are like all these maniacs up in Congress.
Speaker 21: It's a circus.
Speaker 25: I'm a check out, but we have to check back in. Like we said, this is temporary. We're trying to go back to having an independent commission. Hell, we want one for the entire country because ain't nobody got time for none of this. But we have to step up and show up come this November to let folks know that we are not going to stand by and let folks that we don't know, to let folks who we know don't even love this country, okay, walk all over our rights, the Constitution, and our ability to make and earn a living for ourselves and for our family members. So we have to tell them this is temporary. We have to tell them that this abides by the Voting Rights Act. We have to tell them that representation is still important. We have to tell them that this is fair. We have to remind them that these maps are gonna be on the ballot.
Speaker 18: Yo.
Speaker 25: So if you want receipts, the receipts are gonna be on the ballot. We are not trying to hide. We are trying to save and we need everyone to check in. It is like when you watch a game and your folks are playing and they're on the field, and you know, it gets kind of quiet because your folks are way way behind and you want to check out, but your team cannot have you checkouts. You gotta still be raw, Ryan, You gotta buy those concessions. You gotta be rooting for your team because they are still on the field, and Democrats are still on the field, and we all have a role to play in this fight. And right now, the role that we have to play is to stay engaged and to talk to our friends and our family members and let them know what's at stake, and then make sure that everybody's asses show up either to vote at the polls or get that ballot, fill it out and send it in. We need everyone to participate because everyone's rights are at risk, everyone's coins are at risk.
Speaker 21: Everyone's future is at risk.
Speaker 25: I'm trying to be as hype as Latifa Simon yo, because I think that so Falcon Rock like the Bay, But all of these issues are at stake and will be on the ballot come November.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna do it. Don't fight. We get in these streets. Okay, we get in these streets. We're gonna get these people red. Okay, y'all better donate you. I I don't put this bas Lean on my face.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna.
Speaker 25: Put my hair off, yo, I'm gonna take off my ear rings, Perie, like, what's happening.
Speaker 13: What's happening.
Speaker 26: I don't know what's going on here, but I love it all Catornia.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 24: We're from the land right and look and up from Compton originally.
Speaker 13: And now my granny living Yo district on Hu City and I e being here. We've been to get any in a B.
Speaker 26: Tell Granny i'mnna pick up her ballot.
Speaker 13: Let's okay, I'm gonna tell she's gonna be so happy.
Speaker 26: To do door to door service.
Speaker 13: Okay, you better.
Speaker 24: Come pick it up, am I Granny gonna come lit it for you.
Speaker 1: That that was I have no notes that could That could not have been more entertaining. Thank you all so much, a b thank you for for the the most entertaining panel of the night. Appreciate you guys, Representative cum Lagger, Dove and Aguilar. Thank you so much for taking the time this evening, we have our last guest here, our last two guests here. I'm very very excited, uh to introduce Lee mc gowan. You might know her as politics Girl. Could not be more excited if Look, I think that we have to call out the people who are doing this for all the right reasons, and Lee exemplifies that better than anybody else. This is somebody who truly, truly, truly believes in her mission.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen her videos from the kitchen.
Speaker 1: We have a slightly elevated background right now. Lee could not be more grateful for your voice. And of course Lee is joined by our fearless leader here in California, Governor Gavin Newsom. I just want to say, and I know I've repeated this a couple of times throughout this call, but for folks who are just watching right now, we have been begging for Democrats to actually fight back, to match their words with action, and that's what we got right here. So Gavin Newsom has gotten us halfway here, and now the onus is on the rest of us to meet him halfway, to donate to this efforts that we can make sure that everybody in the state knows what the stakes are, so I will stop talking. I'll leave it up to you guys now and looking forward to the conversation.
Speaker 9: Ah, thanks so much, Brian.
Speaker 27: You are the absolute best and you are in it for all the right reasons. To my friend and listen, Governor, thank you for doing this today.
Speaker 9: Thank you for bringing the bad.
Speaker 3: You and I need a dog or something.
Speaker 4: I mean, how we You know, I didn't think we could top fourteen year old dog and then of course ab and Sydney, poor Pete.
Speaker 3: Jesus, that was next level.
Speaker 27: I know you and I both need our vasoline, you know, that's what we really need. I'll take out my earrings, You'll get your vacline because I'm here for the fight.
Speaker 9: Listen, You're here for the fight. Thank you for doing this right.
Speaker 27: I have to tell you, after watching this live today, what's this feeling I'm feeling?
Speaker 9: Is it hope? Are you feeling a little hope from watching all this today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, how can you not be?
Speaker 4: I mean, I appreciate Brian just saying every single state we didn't know that would happen tonight.
Speaker 3: We didn't know anyone to.
Speaker 4: Show up, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people have tuned in, some have been around. This is our third hour, which is extraordinary, and the fact that things were just tuned up just reinforces your point about optimism and energy. It makes people feel like they're being seen and they're being heard. It makes people feel like there's momentum and there's an opportunity here to do something as opposed to talk about doing something, to actually demonstrably have an impact before something, not just against something.
Speaker 3: And so this has been next level. I just want to thank.
Speaker 4: Everybody, Lee, you for being here at the end of this and by the way, on a personal note, thank you for getting me through the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Lee.
Speaker 4: I think everybody shaking their head. You literally got us through the pandemic, and you gave voice to so many of us that were so fearful, so isolated at that time. And so I think in the spirit that is your spirit, the spirit that defines all of the remarkable hosts we met tonight, just gratitude, thanks and yeah, optimism and hope.
Speaker 9: Yeah, wouldn't that be nice.
Speaker 27: I think we've seen the Democrats get attacked across the country for the past week and just treated like with one big brush that were all the worst people in the world, And I keep thinking.
Speaker 9: How is this the case?
Speaker 27: Like we are the party that wants you to have health care and better schooling and you know, to take care of your children and to get guns out of out of our children's faces in their classrooms. And I've watched Democrats be attacked this week, and I just this, This is such a wonderful evening because California is doing. What they're doing now is a direct response to a Republican action. And as a California voter myself, I'm going to be voting yes on fifty on November fourth, and I'm going to be contributing to Yes on fifty live dot com after we finish this. But I really hope that everybody who is listening tonight and is taking this in is as fired up as I am and feels like we see you, that you are not this horrible person, You are not the party of murder and death and destruction that you've been told that you are. That you are here for the right reasons, that we can make a difference, and we can put people that want to use government for the force of good back in office.
Speaker 9: Again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, look, you heard from so many people here tonight. I mean, these guys want to put America in reverse. They want to roll back hard earned, hard fought progress and rights, and it's a pre nineteen sixties world that they're preaching. I mean, Sydney made an even more extreme point, but that's a fact on civil rights, LGBTQ rights, on women's rights, on voting rights, and they're not screwing around to your point in this last week, the rhetoric, I mean, just the rhetoric from the President of the United States. He didn't get any memo about coming together and working bridge the divide and building a bridge and organizing it, you know, just sort of the better angels. Quite the contrary. Did you hear Stephen Miller on Friday night? Did we hear him over the weekend? Is anyone paying attention to what is going on at the Department of Justice, to what you know, the cross examination today we talked about over the last three hours of cash Betel, these guys are not screwing around, and we have been.
Speaker 3: And I thought Beto said it right.
Speaker 4: We were so consumed we have been as Democrats being right and not focused on being in power and at the end of the day, all the progress we've made, all the progress the last century, and voting rights still right, all those issues were because we were in power. We had not just Leader Jeffreyes, we had Speaker Jeffries, Speaker Pelosi. And the progress we were made because we organized and we've turned out in remarkable numbers, and we turned out, as you said, for social justice, racial.
Speaker 3: Justice, economic justice.
Speaker 4: We turned out because we believe we're all better off, and we're all better off. We turned out because we don't tolerate one another. We want to celebrate one another and unite around the things that bind us together and the spirit of the best of the founding fathers. So that's what that's what Prop fifty is about. And if I may, I just think, you know, I don't want to talk around it. You hurt a little bit, But just to highlight what everybody means tonight, the fact that you came together. We've raised over three quarters of a million dollars from fifty states. I want folks to know every week, one person has donated ten million dollars to defeat us. One person someone who doesn't believe in reproductive freedom, someone who believes in convert. I mean the extremes of the Republican Party. One billionaire every week, ten million dollars ten thirty million in county. You had Mike Johnson write his first check. And who, by the way, who are the biggest donors behind that check. Guys like Elon musk Ye know what we're up against and know that you're the antidote to those folks, and we can defeat them.
Speaker 27: Yeah, and that's why we need these resources so we can counter the right wing money machine who are really hoping to defeat this proposition, so they can keep Donald Trump and his billionaire agenda going because they're getting everything they want right now, and it's so important that we counter their messaging. I was talking to one of my neighbors on the dog walk the other day, because I do have a big dog I could put right here on my lap that he.
Speaker 9: Could take up the whole screen.
Speaker 27: And he said to me, why am I getting all these emails about no On fifty? And I said, because they have so much money, an absurd amount of money to keep defeating democracy. These people have spent forty years trying to dismantle it. I do not think they thought the Democrats were going to fight back here, and it's why we're so grateful to you for stepping up. And now they have to spend a ton of money to make a counter punch look like a first punch, and they're the ones that brought this fight, and we're just finally standing up to the cheating.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 4: I love that, And it was said by a number of people this was not the fight we chose. But I think what you just said was even more powerful. I don't think Trump for a second expected us to fight back like we're fighting back. And that's why failure is not an option. It is not an option. I mean, I can't even conceive of the impact if we run short. We can't run the ninety yard dash on this. I mean twenty twenty six. If we limp into twenty twenty six, we're in real trouble. So we can build the kind of momentum. Twenty twenty six begins this November, and it's November six, but as Pete and others just said, it's really October six, because those ballots land in people's mailbox in just a few weeks. Early voting is October six. It ends on November sixth, and that's the opportunity for folks to remind everybody the power of early voting, the power of emulation, meaning emulate kind of the things you heard here tonight, and the kind of energy and the carrying and daring that so many people share tonight.
Speaker 3: And to make sure that we don't dream of regretting.
Speaker 4: We got to put everything out on the line, because this is about holding the line, and it's about holding up this democracy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know you wish it wasn't like this. I wish it wasn't like this.
Speaker 27: But I keep saying, like there's no pointing and planning, like these aren't the rules. When the other team keeps round house kicking us to the face, right, it doesn't matter that this isn't how politics is supposed to be played.
Speaker 9: If it is being allowed, then the rules have changed and we either kick back or we keep getting beat.
Speaker 27: And I think I speak for many of us when I say we are sick and tired of losing.
Speaker 4: You got it, and again we're using I said it before, not just our formal authority by organizing this construct and putting it on the ballot, but are moral the authority by doing something that's never been done if you still have some hesitancy, you still have some doubt. Well, you know, I don't like, you know, just emulating the bad behavior. I don't want them to implicate me in the way they do things. This is democratic, This is transparent. The maps are on the ballot. That's never happened in this country. We have never submitted to the people the ability to draw their own maps. So we're giving the people that power. This was not done in mar Lago. This was not done behind closed doors, as was the case in Texas, As is going to be the case shortly in Indiana, and what just happened in Missouri and what is likely to happen in Florida, in Ohio and elsewhere. This is done in the most transparent way. And again in a temporary response, a temporary response to what Donald Trump and what the Texas delegation did in greg Abne in just a few weeks ago. So pressed upon people more that this is it, this is it, and we've got to hold the line. We've got to hold each other's hands. We got to walk across this line at peak, and we've got to, as you say, fire with fire, and we've got to be muscular in terms of our approach and response.
Speaker 24: That's right.
Speaker 27: Absolutely. I want to thank you so much for doing this today, Governor. It's what we all really really need. And for people who are feeling a little bit like two wrongs don't make a right and I'm not sure if I should go for this, understand that this is going in the most democratic way possible. This is a temporary thing, and the goal at the end of this would we have no gerrymandering at all. It's why the Democrats voted for the for the People's Act in twenty nineteen, it's why they voted for the redistricting reformat again in twenty twenty one, and why the Republicans voted against it both times because it is the Republicans who benefit from locking in power, so it's no longer accountable to the voters. And this is not what we want, which is why we are starting by doing this by being accountable to the voters. So thank you so much, Governor. I hope people will go to yes on fifty live right now and get us past that mark. But thank you everyone, and I really hope you're feeling the same hope I'm feeling today.
Speaker 3: Love itly well said Thanks so much, Lee, and bring it home.
Speaker 1: Bring it home, and Governor Newsom, I gotta say, and I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. There are a million reasons to have not done this. That it's too hard, that it's too close to the election, that there's too many people standing in the way, that it would just be easier if we just practice good governance and unilaterally disarmed like Democrats always do. The reality is that thanks to your leadership, thanks to the leadership of the California Democrats, we got this thing done, which is which is half the battle right now, and so I'll repeat my plea to those who are watching right now. The reality is we got to get this thing in front of as many Californians as humanly possible. And the way that we do that is by looking to those grassroots donations. We don't have these billionaires megabillionaires who are donating ten million bucks a pop like they have on the Republican side, because they know that if they can neutralize what happens in California, then they're good to go. There's no other big weapons to deploy like we have in California, and so our antidote to that is going to be getting as many people in the grassroots donating as humanly possible. We're just a few thousand bucks away from seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars a quarter three quarters of a million dollars, and that money is going to help get this thing in front of so many Californians who don't know what the stakes are of this upcoming election on November fourth. It's going to make sure that we can get in front of people's TV screens, on their computer screens, on their phone screens, in their mailboxes, and we can't do that without this massive amount of support. So for everybody who's donated, thank you so much for being part of this effort. Thank you for being part of this movement, and also thank you being for being part of helping give something of a permission structure for other Democrats across the country to recognize that if they take aggressive action, if they take a forward leaning posture when it comes to fighting for our democracy, that they're going to have the people behind them. This is not just a California thing. Not only does it have major implications for the House as we head toward twenty twenty six. But this is also a message to other democratic governors, other democratic state legislatures that the answer is not to cower, it is not to capitulate. It is to put on your big boy pants and fight.
Speaker 2: And that's what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 11: And the way that.
Speaker 1: We make sure to give that permission structure to other Democrats to do that is by making sure that we succeed here.
Speaker 2: This is the test case. If it succeeds here, then it shows every other.
Speaker 1: Governor, every other state legislature, every other lawmaker senator across the country that the answer in this moment is not to bow down. It's not to capitulate to Trump and Republicans. It's not to appeal to our better angels and practice good governance and unilaterally disarm.
Speaker 2: It is to lean forward and fight. And that's what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 1: And of course, the ability to win this fight relies on everybody chipping in whatever we can to make this thing a reality. So Governor, on behalf of everybody watching cannot thank you enough for leading in the way that we've been begging so many people to lead, which is to to you know, back up, back up your words with some action.
Speaker 4: Here I love it, and I'm asking you for one last action because we're going to hit seven hundred and fifty thousand, but it's going to require one thing, Brian. That's not anymore your time, but one more, one more opportunity to see that beautiful dog of yours.
Speaker 2: All Right, you know what this is it?
Speaker 4: This is It is how we get This is how we get over three quarters of a million dollars.
Speaker 3: This is it, Brian, No pressure. Here we go, look at this, there we go.
Speaker 2: I'm not asking you to do it for me. I'm asking you to do it for this little guy. This is this is Don't do it for me, don't do it. Don't even do it for democracy.
Speaker 10: Just do it.
Speaker 2: Just do it for this child right here who doesn't know why, he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know why I'm subjecting himself to these live streams over and over and over.
Speaker 3: He's already he's already passed out. Unbelievable. Look at that, hey, Brian, your rock star.
Speaker 4: The fact you hosted this three hours, unbelievable to all our influencers, all of our creators, to all the remarkable elected of feudals officials across the country.
Speaker 3: For those of you.
Speaker 4: Tuned in even for two minutes for the last two hours, Thank you those of you who made a contribution, We're grateful beyond words.
Speaker 3: Get the word out there, let folks know yes on Prop fifty.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Governor. And for those who are looking to donate, Yes on fifty live dot com.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody,