Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters.
Speaker 1: At the Star. Now your host, Nicole Hutchinson.
Speaker 4: All right, welco Man Cowboys Nation to Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. In the SWBC studio. I'm Nicole Hutchinson alongside of Easham Morrison and Christie Scales. And ladies, it is a victory Monday. Wow, don't we like the sound of that?
Speaker 5: It was a game.
Speaker 4: It was a game, the Cowboys getting the job done on the road in a hostile environment, shorthanded on both sides of the ball, freaking turnovers all over the place, field goals. Oh my goodness, the list can go on.
Speaker 6: Was stressful, stressing, penalties, penalty, injuries, injuries, a lot to talk about.
Speaker 4: A lot to talk about, ladies. But how much time.
Speaker 5: In a little times?
Speaker 4: I know, right, I know, But that's why we had the whole rest of the week. Yes, unpacked.
Speaker 5: It from Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: Got to hear from Mike McCarthy some good stuff coming from him. But just I'll start with the last drive, I mean, fourth and goal, Jalen Tolbert stepping up when needed because of course Brandon Cook's not there. What did y'all like from this offense that y'all saw on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Well, specifically that final drive, just how multiple it was in terms of ball distribution. And one thing that McCarthy was just talking about was the offensive line playing well enough, holding up well enough, and giving him, in Mike McCarthy's words as a play caller of fifty to fifty meaning run or pass and then dak the trust and everything to go to young players. And McCarthy referenced, you know, we knew he had that screen pass ready to go to Hunter Lipke used it a little bit later in the drive than he anticipated, But I thought that's what was so impressive, because you knew that the Steelers were going to concentrate on CD Lamb and especially in the second half. It was a near shutout again of CD in the second half, but the other guy's rising to the occasion and everyone doing just enough, especially with the injuries in the first half to come out with a very hard fought, very gritty victory.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, yes, absolutely, I mean Christy you mentioned them, you know, just doing just enough. I mean I would argue that this offensive line didn't more than enough in a sense of, you know, we've been waiting for this run game to get going, and I know, for me, I've been saying, like, I want the run game to get going, to open up the rest of your offense and things like that. But another thing that the run game does is wears people down.
Speaker 7: And if you are.
Speaker 5: Paying attention, if you're paying attention, towards the end of that game, those Steelers players retired, Cowboys players retired too. You could tell there was some hands on knees and like, you know, it's late, Yester time, it's late. You know, it's late. But I'm saying, as far as the physicality that took place in the run game and the push they were able to get doing, some things really wore down that Steelers defense towards the end of the game, and those last two drives, you know, them dictating pace and Mike McCarthy just saying like we wanted to have, you know, move effectively down the field for them to be able to do that despite having some penalties that could have set them back, because I think that last drive was like first and twenty. He started at first in twenty because you had a false start, right if I'm not so to overcome that even in its self, you know, Yeah, and then move down the field and go score speaks to you know how bad they wanted it. And I thought the offensive line did they.
Speaker 6: Did their job last night?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And what have we been talking about in terms of third down conversions and not being able to sustain drives or the run game's not going because you're not getting enough trips to the plate sixty percent conversion rate on third downs yesterday, the Cowboys ended up on offense with seventy six plays. Yes, normally between sixty sixty five is kind of average for an NFL game. You're having a pretty good day on offense if you're getting sixty to sixty five plays and the Cowboys having seventy six, and I believe the Steelers only had fifty eight on offense, so exactly what you're saying, Aisha, I think the Steelers defenders were getting worn down.
Speaker 4: And we talk about plays pretty much left off the field on the field too, because four trips to the red zone, two red zone turnovers.
Speaker 8: That wow.
Speaker 4: So I don't think the issue was never of how Mike McCarthy can you know, cook up some things to drive down the field. It's just always punching it in and the red zone and those self inflicted wounds. But you talked about how the defense was kind of worn down the Steelers. I was looking at the first half rushing stats. The Cowboys only had twenty three, but they of course ended the game with one hundred and nine, So certainly improvement there.
Speaker 9: But what about Rico Daludle, Can we like give him, Yeah, some very flowers.
Speaker 4: I was excited to see him get going, and certainly I feel like I think this game he established himself as that running back one, which I'll think.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely. I mean again, I think we've been talking about it. It starts with that offensive line and some of the push they were able to do. They did some inside outside zone, they did tosses, they did bubble screens, they did yeah, they did some motion they did you know, like and also too, but they saw success in their combo and duo blocking.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Which excellent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which we watched them do and have a lot of success in during training camp. And if you're not mistaken, that's what teams kind of have done to you and you were in their run games. So seeing Terrence Steele and Zach Martin kind of start to become that tandem again a little bit, I think your offensive line, despite the injuries and some of the stuff that happened, is starting to find some cohesion. Because that road it was loud over.
Speaker 6: There, loud, extremely loud, even with an eighty three minute delay weather delay before kickoff. I'm looking up like nobody left, nobody left, everybody stayed. Wow, it was amazing. Yeah, kudos to all of those fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was loud in there. And for this offensive line, like you you know, like I think past rushers will say, like we rush is one, but the offensive line, like a lot of their movements were in Unison, and I think you saw that with the push that they got. The tight ends did some good things blocking as well. So with Rico Daddle, I think he's just getting more experience, Like this is the first game where I'm seeing him start to slow down process us. Look at what he's being given and they see him bounce outside.
Speaker 9: You know, you see it.
Speaker 5: I'm starting, You're starting to the more experienced in rhythm he's able to get in because again they haven't really been able to get into a rhythm. They're giving him more snaps. He's able to read the defense, make some decisions and then use his ability to cut up field or bounce to the outside or run in between the tackles. So yeah, exciting for him. He had to pass the twenty two yard Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know what was fine about that that was really cool was that in that formation there was I thought there was some real creativity there was in the play calling and some of the design. And so for that one, they had little Cavante Turpin in the backfield and they had taken Rico and put him basically like slot right. So something that surely Pittsburgh probably well, I would think that they hadn't seen that and weren't really expecting that. But and it's fun for the players too to keep engaged in that way. You know, Rico to get to do something doing different. Not that he's never sent out on passing routes, we know that he's very effective as a pass catcher. But to be utilized that way and in that particular situation and the use of personnel, I thought that was really fun.
Speaker 5: What'd you think? What'd you think about his performance?
Speaker 9: I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: I know he had a career day eighty seven yards on the ground, twenty carries. But something that I loved was there finally starting to give him more touches, something that Micha McCarthy's been talking about all years that they haven't had the good amount of attempts. I think they had a season hot, oh my goodness, season high thirty one attempts in the running back room. So I think that this game was actually crucial for him to kind of start establishing himself, not that he hadn't before, especially last week, but this offensive line, particularly of course Tyler Guiden going down early, and then you had brock Hoffman come in for Zach Martin at guard, then TJ. Bass coming in making the switch to Tyler Smith out to left tackle, just the way that they were still able to have that cohesionists despite not having your starting left tackle, not having Zach Martin for for quite some time. What did y'all think about it?
Speaker 5: I think they understood what this game. This game was an important game. Yeah, I think they understood that it was important to you know, what they want to do. They got a nice little gauntlet coming up, but they they have played defenses kind of like this is already, you know, so I think that talking to the guys in the locker room this past week, they seemed prepared for this game. I will say as far as the offensive line goes, like, I mean, I know, we talk about Tyler Smith and you know how great like he is and everything, but his doing what he did last night, y'all like this is not normal, and I just I feel like it's a little understated what he's being, what he's been asked to do. He I know, he hasn't been practicing at left tackle probably and just having a kick out there and go against you know, one of the best defensive lines. I mean, Nick Herbrig went down in the third quarter, but even so, you know that defensive line could get after it and for him to come in and be stealthy like that TJ.
Speaker 6: Bass like because he plays right guard for Zach Martin. It's not like he plays a lot of left guard.
Speaker 5: This is just what he had to stay And even so like, let me give let me make sure I give Terrence Steel his flowers as well, because Terrence Steele is a guy that has been, you know, struggling, and he's going up against some of the best ed rushers in the game as well. But I felt like he held his own and he found some things going up against t. J. Watt this game. They did have some guys over there helping him sometimes most of the time he was one on one, but I think the run game helped him because, and that's what I'm saying, like running the ball is not just for decoration, it also too. They also did a good job of making these edges chase them. They did things to get these guys this defensive line sucking win because they're on the move. And I thought, personally, I thought this was Mike McCarthy's best called game. And it's no mistake that they had so many plays. Four hundred and forty five total yards, twenty five first downs, y'all, Like that's that's a lot of football. They were able to do a lot of stuff that maybe they had been wanting to do that they got to do, so shout out to Mike McCartney. They had a plan and I think that's why even though they lost guys, they were able to still execute it because it was a solid plan.
Speaker 4: Regardless who's the guy that you didn't expect to, I guess step.
Speaker 9: Up on Sunday. That is kind of like your surpriser, tell us yours.
Speaker 6: Yeah, please, you fol like you.
Speaker 1: Got one in mine.
Speaker 9: Yeah, dang, this is hard.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's right.
Speaker 6: It's been in offense or defense.
Speaker 9: Let's go offense first.
Speaker 6: Oh, offense first. Well, uh, Tyler Smith just because to everything Yaisha just said, but he ended up playing seventy percent of snaps yesterday tackle and then TJ Bass seventy percent of snaps coming in with Tyler Goyton. I'll just say from a sideline perspective, when Marshawn Neeland, the Roocky defensive end, went down early in the first quarter, just four plays, four defensive plays into the game, you could tell that was very serious. Especially he needed help to get to the blue medical tent. They called out for a cart. We'll talk more about Nieland's injury, but with Tyler Gotton, he was able to walk off the field. He walked under his own power to the locker room. His injury happened early in the second quarter, and he stayed in uniform. He didn't come back out in the second quarter, but he came out to start the He was on the bench area for the entire second half, still in uniform, and just before the second half started, he was down in the bench area kind of getting down in a position, trying to see if he could fire out right and come out of his stance and things like that, and so I thought, oh, man, he's going to give it a go. There's a chance that Guyton's going to come back in the game. He ended up not, of course, and Mike McCarthy didn't have a true update on Guyton today. We'll know more on Wednesday to see if he's able to practice. But yeah, for a while I thought, oh, Tyler will slide back into guard, but he didn't. He ended up playing left side. But another surprise.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, now I'm just gonna say, Jalen Tolbert, Jalen Tolbert a minute after getting hit the last place a man wants to get hit and literally staggering, the guy couldn't walk.
Speaker 6: And then if Pittsburgh had not called that time out, then yeah, Mike Tomlin because if they hadn't called that time out, Jalen would have still been on the sideline and wouldn't have been out there to catch the game winning touchdown pass with twenty seconds left to play. But good for him not only a strong game, but to be able to come back in that kind of situation and get the game winner.
Speaker 4: I want to cheat. I'm gonna go okay, and I'm only gonna say turping because I knew he was gonna be needed this game, but I wasn't sure if he would be able to step up the challenge. And I say that because his confidence has.
Speaker 9: Really been wavering this year.
Speaker 4: Even in training cam you didn't see that confidence as far as his route running and things like that. But I saw him just be a little bit more assertive, assertive, confident. There was one play, I believe the third quarter and they were running cover two so that uh Dak attacked the middle of the field with turf, So that was a big reception there. But I don't know, I just saw a little bit more confidence in him. And I think that's because he knew obviously Brandon cooksn and are absent on Sunday, he was a guy that was gonna be needed. Even Drellen Tolbert, a lot of those guys are going to step up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's getting comfortable to your point, I think even I mean they used him as a decoy. He was clearing guys out and doing some things like that. But he is just out. Like I honestly felt like he had a good camp and we just haven't seen the stuff that he was doing in camp on the field this year. And I can understand how God could get down from that because he was very active in camp. I feel like I was hearing his name every other day, every day, and then the season starts and it's just like you can't get going. So I do think this was a big confidence booster for him and seeing him do some of the things that you know, we were looking for Brandon Cooks to do for whatever reason, whether it's health or anything. Some of those crossers, some of those seam routes, some of those bubble screens, getting him out space like utilizing his speed. But also too, I thought that Mike McCarthy used him in motion sets correctly. And now that people see that he is becoming a receiving threat, they're gonna honor when he starts moving across that line of scrimmage, you best believe somebody's gonna be They're gonna be carrying someone with him through the formation and stuff. So I thought that was great too. To your point about take turpent, Mike, my guy is gonna be on the defensive side. Uh, weird enough, he only had two pressures. Ohso DIGGI zua uh he he really. I mean if you look at him, you did see him getting some penetration. You said you saw the get off and stuff. But yeah, uh, they they committed to stopping him and double teaming him. He was double team on fifty of uh of all of his snaps. But he did a good job of stacking, shedding and being disruptive with his hands despite like, yeah, he played twenty four pass sets and they yeah, they double teamed him on twelve of those. And what those were able to do, though, was open up lanes for other guys and you know, allow these linebackers to get you know, get some blitzing pressure and stuff like that. They brought Kendricks, they brought the Barbarian overshow, and they brought a couple guys off the edge. So yeah, I wanted to highlight also Digizua, because double teams are something that he actually has struggle with. This is not this is a three techy. He's not a one sex. He's not big in that way. But I thought that he handled what they were trying to throw at him pretty well last weekend and yesterday, and it did open up things for Linnville Joseph, who I think had probably his best game since he's been signed here. Carlos Watkins quietly still is a very good rotational piece, if only to give your stars a breather, they are giving you something from that position, and I think that's also what's happening. You're helping your edges as well. They defended the run as good as you could defend the run yesterday. I don't really care what anyone says. I know the Steelers has some backups, and but being able to contain justin fields in the way that they did was impressive to me.
Speaker 4: We're gonna go ahead and take our first and only break up today. Real short show today, but we'll be right back with more Cowboys Steelers breakdown, and you're watching girls talk Boys Officer about Jake saw them a third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, We will be right back.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now. Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to fotopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 10: That's what I like.
Speaker 9: Disaw dating, We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: The Dickey family always mandated that the only police style sausage worthy of their restaurant must have high quality, coarse ground beef and port rich spices and fresh natural casings. We still serve it to this day and it's so popular.
Speaker 11: Dickey Sausage has been named the official sausage of the Dallas Cowboys. The perfect matchup on game day Dickie's Barbecue Pit No One out smokes us. Order at Dickie's dot com for groups called eight six y six.
Speaker 7: Barber Cue lives on the Ribs.
Speaker 6: Stay connected with the Dallas Cowboys on your Connected TV. Catch up on all Cowboys content like player interviews, weekly TV shows, podcasts like Girls Talk Boys Talk, docuseries like Deep Blue, and much more. Download the Cowboys Now app on Amazon Fire Roku and Apple TV and downloaded.
Speaker 4: We have two wrap things up shortly, but real quick, ladies. Who's game of all going to.
Speaker 6: Mike McCarthy. Okay, which and by the way, he did get it last night. Yes, so from the team, Zach Martin and the guys, I thought it was well deserved. We were talking about the play calling and hey, when your parents and you're and you have like over thirty members on the sideline pregame and you put on a great show for them and get to spend the night before the game with your family and your homecoming and you just loved by the Pittsburgh folks, even though he's never played or coach for the Steelers. So I'm gonna go with Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 5: For me, I'm gonna go with Jaylen Tobert. And I'm gonna be very quick when I say, you know, in the NFL right now, I feel like everything's very microwave. Everyone wants, you know. The expectation is for a lot of these young players to come in immediately and be stars and everything, and to see someone exemplify what it is like to you know, kind of go through the fire, develop learn a new offense and to get their shot and to be ready for their shot. Him becoming another weapon on this offense is gonna help. But also to just it speaks to him as a person, and I'm just glad that he's able to show his skill set confidently because we knew he was capable. So yeah, I'm gonna give it to jaylen Tober. You don't win that game without his place, Like they will clutch so many of them.
Speaker 9: So that's my guy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go rain the code of Prescott.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that's the guy throwing.
Speaker 4: I was about to say the way he you know, Christy mentioned it about the distribution of the ball. I think the way that he manufactured plays was top tier so far throughout the season. And Mike McCarthy also mentioned that his play of the game was the fumble recovery from Rio Dolla. It was.
Speaker 6: Well because it was like Mario, it was like he was like, quick, can I share a football on that. Babel Offenburg from Cowboys Radio our analyst. You know, he played eight years in the NFL and he works with a lot of young quarterbacks. He said that one thing he had just sent something to a young quarterback the day before. When it's late in the ball game and you're on one of these late drives, your execution of a handoff is different because normally a quarterback, you whether you're handing it off or not, you carry out like the fake. So you may not have the ball anymore because you've handed it to Rico, but you're still going to come out and you know, act like you're going outside because you're trying to affect the defense. You're selling it, right. But Babe said that when you're late in the game, you don't, you know, an experienced quarterbacks, someone who's doing what they're supposed to do, you don't carry out that kind of fake because the number one thing is the ball, the ball, the ball, the ball. So Dak is not carrying out anything. He is focused in on what's happening with the ball. And if he did not have that discipline, if he did not have that experience to be there, locked on and to dive on that ball as quickly as he did, it would have been a turnover and everyone would be raking Rico doubt all over the coals, yep for giving up the ball in the red zone and blowing the chance to win.
Speaker 5: Wow right, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: But we'll be back with more breakdown of this matchup tomorrow and the rest of the week. Heading into Week six against the Lions here in at and T Stadium, the Cowboys undefeated on the road. Wow, the irony because last year was a whole different story.
Speaker 5: I need them to figure it out.
Speaker 4: I need them to figure it out.
Speaker 9: I need to translate to the detroil game.
Speaker 4: Please hear home, please please please please please, But I'll do it. For today's episode of Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jake sty the third dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We will be back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.