Speaker 1: Carl Lene, she's a queen and talking and it was so she's getting really.
Speaker 2: Not afraid to fail its episode, So just let it flow.
Speaker 1: No one can do we quid Caryl lne is sounding.
Speaker 2: Caroline, Well, I'm very excited to be here with Zach Kwindall. How's it going?
Speaker 1: Excellent? Thank you so much for having me. This is fun.
Speaker 2: You're always excellent excellent though, aren't you?
Speaker 1: Uh? I would say these days probably ninety percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, why is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think a lot of it has to do with the way that I was raised and just my mindset on life and the fact that I'm here and there's a lot of good going on around me, and if I focus on the good, I think more good things are going to happen.
Speaker 2: How were you raised?
Speaker 1: So? My mom is a full time cancer survivor, and so when I was four years old, she was diagnosed with stage four ovarian and was sent home with a five percent chance to live. And then she had a tombor around her satic nerve and was healed from that. And then she had colon cancer with three quarters of her colon removed and was healed from that. And then when I was fifteen, she had breast cancer and double messtectomy and reconstruction. The whole deal was healed from that. So my entire childhood is seeing my mom in and out of the hospital, never knowing if she's actually going to make it. And she really always taught me, Zach, life could be so much worse. I could not be here today, but I am. So you need to learn to treat every day like the gift that it is. And even when really bad things are happening around us, we still believe that God is moving and if you find where that is and focus on that and try to be there, that it's going to take over the bad. Not to disregard the bad by any means, but to just have your hope and your mindset in the right place. And so that's that impacted my entire mindset today and upbringing.
Speaker 2: Were you living in fear or were you able to join her in her mindset? Did you know she was going to be And was each cancer? Was it was one related to the other or were they just completely separate cancers?
Speaker 1: Completely separate cancers?
Speaker 2: Is that for one person that four separate cancers?
Speaker 1: Great question. Yeah, we don't know either, but yeah, she uh had, I mean every every few years, like she would do colon or she would do chemo and radiation and so her hair would fall out and then it would come back a different color, and so like that was just what I knew. And I don't think there was a place of fear too much, but it was more so just knowing that there was a hope and just the positivity that she brought to it was so impactful for me. Honestly, I don't remember everything by any means. I think our bodies do something where when you experience trauma or things like that, it blocks certain things out. So I really only remember a lot of the good stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you have siblings?
Speaker 1: Only child? I was supposed to have an older sister, she didn't make it, and then miscarriage, well yeah, miscarriage, and then after me, my mom after her first cancer, she couldn't have any more kids, so only me.
Speaker 2: How was it being an only child? I have an only child who's five, and I've had a bunch of miscarriages, and I like, I'm crying because it hits such a nerve because I'm so worried that she's gonna like long for a sibling and especially like with what you were going through something so intense as an only child. Is it hard to be an only child or were you able to appreciate it? And like being an only child? What was your experience?
Speaker 1: Like? I loved it. I think it was the greatest thing ever. Because even though my mom was in the hospital a lot and my dad traveled a lot, so I didn't have anywhere to go a lot of the time. So I grew up with my neighbors a lot of the time and then our family friends, and so I basically had like seven sisters growing up, and that was very transformative for who I became for sure. So even though I didn't have somebody at home, I was always with friends. And so for you like and and your kid is like, let them spend a lot of time with friends. That's that's their siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, What was it like growing up with so a seven females, seven girls that you grew up with so you were you were the only boy? What was that like? Did they like do your hair and makeup? Did you like about your first kiss?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What was what.
Speaker 1: Happened when you were seriously? I mean there was like four four girls that lived down the street, they were all sisters, and then three sisters that were like my parents' best friends their kids, and they didn't like do my hair and makeup and stuff, but it was always just like I think I think it brought out a side where it's like more relational and understanding to women and just more like, I'm not like a dude's dude, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You're a girl guy.
Speaker 1: I'm more of a girl's guy. So, like everybody when we just found out that we're pregnant with a boy, and okay, buddy, because everybody was like, oh, Zach's a girl dad through and through, and so we were set that we were having a girl.
Speaker 3: I do like you were sure, yeah, of course it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we did our our gender reveal and we like poured out this paint and it was blue paint, and my wife and I were like, oh my goodness, this is not what we thought was going to happen at all. And so we're we're prepped, We're we're getting ready. I don't know how it's going to go. It's gonna, I mean, it's gonna be amazing, obviously, no matter what's thrown at us, We're gonna have have fun with it. But I've just always been more of a girl dad.
Speaker 2: I think, what does a guy's girl? What does that mean? Because I know like a girl's girl, and I know like a girl's a boy, a girl guy, a guy's girl. What is it a guy girl, a girl guy? No? Wait, how do we say this? What is a girl's guy a girl's guy?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you what is your personality? Like? Like, how do you interact in the world as a girl girls guy?
Speaker 1: That's a great question. I think a lot of it has to do with just being like relational and understanding and and talking. I'm not but I'm I'm aware of sensitivity and I'm I think. I think the biggest thing is I've learned to be a really good listener and instead of always having an opinion on things, I allow other people to talk and also not like super judgmental in the sense of like you should do things this way, but more so just open to like, Okay, that's that's where you're at in your stage of life. And I can give you the logical answer all day long, and I can tell you what I think. But a lot of the times women don't need to hear that, and they they want to just be heard more, at least from my experience, and so it definitely taught me how to be a listener. And then even from like passions, like growing up, I would make like jewels and my first business I was nine years old, and it was making shark tooth necklaces on the beach in Naples, Florida. And I would like I was an entrepreneur from from the jump, but I would it would always be like jewelry or clothing or things like that. And I was never like super into sports. And even today, all the guys I'm around can talk sports all day and I have no idea what anybody's ever talking about. But I'm like, hey, you know, you can use hemp and and make a necklace like this. I can teach you how to glass blow, but I can't teach you anything else. Like I can play sports, but I just don't care to follow them. And yeah, I think that was a big factor in my childhood as well. I've never thought about it like that.
Speaker 2: So when you're hanging out with your wife and y'all are having like, you know, some friends over you're out with friends, are you in like you know, like sometimes it like segregates into like the boys hang out and the girls hang Now are you like chilling with the girls or are you like hanging with the guys.
Speaker 1: I'm usually with the girls. Yeah, So we our passion is hosting people. We love it more than anything else. It's our hobby. And it's cause I worked in the hospitality industry for like twelve years.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: I was like managing restaurants and helping open restaurants and just being around people all the time. And so I love food and I love hosting people. And so we have people over a few times a week, probably even if it's just family, and I'm always just in the kitchen cooking, and I just always want to make sure everybody else comes to our place and feels a sense of like peace, and that they walk into our home and they're like, Wow, something's different about this place. And every time I leave, I feel refreshed, and so I want to be there. So even like from like we'll we'll bake cookies. I'll put cookies in the oven before people even walk in the door a lot of the time, so when they walk in, it smells like home, and little things like that, just to provide people with a place of refreshment.
Speaker 2: I think, do you think you did that? Because did you do that growing up and you wanted your mom to feel comfortable and like feel happy?
Speaker 1: No. Actually I got that by from a guy named Bob Goff and.
Speaker 3: His oh yeah area, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so sweet Maria. I had heard did that, and I was like, oh, I'm taking that and doing it with everybody that walks in our house. And so that's where that came from. But I don't know about at our home for sure. My dad hosted a lot of people and loves cooking, and so we would have people over in that regard, But I think my bosses and my jobs from from probably eighteen to twenty eight had a major impact on who I am in regard of of hosting people.
Speaker 2: So you said, when people come to your house, you want them to have a different experience, to feel comfortable. A lot of people aren't always thinking about others in that way. They're more thinking about what their needs are and what they want. Where did that is that from? Hospitality? Is like, because you were in the service industry, you're thinking of how to get people to return to your restaurant. What people need anticipating their needs is that your heart to be thinking of others all the time? Like are you a people pleaser? Where did that come? Where you are like wanting to make sure everyone in your presence is comfortable and happy and having its amazing experience.
Speaker 1: It definitely came from the service industry, from being in a place where it's like, it doesn't matter how I'm feeling, I have to essentially perform at that At that stage, it was it was a performance. Now it's it's different. I think I've grown and found the positive side of it for sure, But in the mom and it's like it doesn't matter if you have the flu, you still need to work twelve hours today with a smile on your face and make sure that everybody else is taken care of. And I was working in like pretty high end stuff for a really long time where it's like, Okay, their needs are the most important thing. From the moment that they walk in the door. They need to feel like they're at home and that we're finding ways to please them that they would never even even expected. And so that definitely transferred to me now where it's like, Okay, I see how these little touch points can make a difference in somebody's experience and not to be liked at all, but it's always to see other people enjoy them. So if I'm by myself, I might make a tuna fish sandwich, but if my friends are coming over, I'm making like filet mignon and like French perade potatoes and like protrudo rapt asparagus because i want them to have an experience. That's like we don't do this at our house because for me, like seeing somebody else's reaction with food and seeing their smile and their eyes light up for the first bite of like dulce deh stuff churo is like that brings me to life. And that's what I do. I've just figured it out. I mean being around really great chefs and then also just trying things. So like for lunch today we had like this Indian corma and non and roasted carrots, and like we just do fun stuff every day because I'm just always trying new things because for lunch, yeah yeah, yeah for sure. And like my wife and I, because we love hosting so much, we want to see an experience. All the spots in Orlando, so that when somebody does come for three days, we can be like, everything you eat the next three days is going to blow your mind. I never want to try a new place with somebody random for the first time because I want to make sure that they're getting the best bites that they could possibly have. It's like it literally fuels me. It's my favorite thing in the world, probably outside of the Bible and my family.
Speaker 2: So food is definitely your love language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and food in regard of other people.
Speaker 2: But yourself too, because you're making this karm this tiziki karma thing on a two.
Speaker 3: Sure whatever you said, you.
Speaker 1: Just explore my wife.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, is your Are you access service? Is that your also your love language?
Speaker 1: It is? Yes, you're good. You know these things because you.
Speaker 2: Like to serve people. I am not access service. I like that. I am words of affirmation. Like I will tell you all day long. I will like tell you how great you are. I will find your strengths, I will build you up. But like if you want me to do something for you, yeah, I am fatigued already. I am like war just thinking about it. Like if you need me to fix something or repair it, or I can't cook, so you would not like comes to my house, but we have great, wonderful get togethers. But it's definitely not about the food.
Speaker 1: But like, has your love language changed over the years at all? You know?
Speaker 2: I think I'm still as far as what I give people. I have started becoming more gifts, Like I'm not strongly gifts, but I do like to give people things, Like I like to show up with a gift that's thoughtful. I like to Now that I have a daughter, I love to shower her with gifts. That's probably not healthy, but like I love, I love to like I love, But ultimately no, it's it's words because I want to tell you how special you are. I want you to know that you are very important. I want you to know your strengths. I want you to walk away from me feeling valued and then knowing yourself why you have, what your gifts.
Speaker 1: Are and are you Does that go back to you as well? Do you prefer receiving words of affirmation and gifts or is it just is that the way you give.
Speaker 2: I think that might have changed because I used to always love words of affirmation. Now I really appreciate access service now that I'm adult, because I mean, that's a lot of my sister's access service and she is the best. I mean, she just like handles everything. And I'm like, how do you have this energy? Do you just have tons of energy? Are you just doing stuff all the time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it drives my wife crazy. I think because I can't sit still. I didn't learn to relax until we got married. There was because I felt bad, and there was a time period where I think there was like it was six years where I worked every single holiday, I worked, every single weekend. I worked. I didn't take a day off for all six years, and I didn't go on vacation or anything. And then we got married and it was like, oh, I need to make a change here. If I want to please my wife and be happy at home, then I need to learn how to rest and take some time off. And I did and it's been fantastic. And the funny thing is you still get the same amount done and everything that you stress about when you're working twenty four to seven is unnecessary.
Speaker 2: I think, what is your wife's love language.
Speaker 1: Words of affirmation and physical touch. Do you receive that I do? Yes. It's funny because I agree mine has changed as well. When I was growing up, it was words of affirmation, and then recently, probably in the last four years, the way that I receive, the way that I feel love the most is through acts of service. And the way that I give is not only of service but also gifts. But I don't like to receive gifts. So it's fascinating when you get into like the way that you give and receive.
Speaker 2: So I have a couple questions that we're going to get into your books. The Bible Simplify just coming out July first, and I have a lot of questions about that because I think it's a great concept. You're like literally simplifying the Bible into a digestible book that we can understand, because it's pretty overwhelming. And I want to talk to about your faith journey because I've had quite the faith journey and I know you have as well, and I struggle with the intensity of all these rules sometimes in Christianity that is sometimes a big turn off for me, and I want to talk to you about how you navigate that. So when you grew up with all these females influencing your life and you're like the girl's best friends, like you're the girl's guy you're hanging out all these girls, did you want to date.
Speaker 3: All of them?
Speaker 2: Or how do you know? How do you know when someone's a friend and someone's someone you want to pursue romantically? Because I was never friends with guys, Like, I did not know how to be friends with guys. I always just.
Speaker 3: Had crushes on for sure.
Speaker 2: So how did you what is that line? Because how did you know who you wanted to pursue and who was just a friend because I always heard guys and girls can't be friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean like as a kid growing up and stuff, you're like, ooh, that that girl is kind of cute. I'm going to be her friend and for a while and we'll see what it turns into.
Speaker 2: The underlying there was sometimes even with the neighbors.
Speaker 1: No, see, that's the issue. Then you can get into a tricky situation because you can be super friendly with some people and then all of a sudden they start expressing feelings for you and you're like, oh, no, I did that was the last thing on my mind. And then it makes the relationship or the friendship weird and you kind of move your own direction. I think so, But is there a way to tell the difference between the two. I think no. I think I was treating people the same and till there was a love interest. Like with my wife, for example, she wanted to be friends for uh for a long time, and I wanted to date her right away. And I thought she was interested in me right away because she was so friendly with me, and so being from Minnesota, I was like, and her being from Miami, it's just a different culture with dating, and so she was like, oh, yeah, we just talk from the moment we wake up to the moment we go to bed.
Speaker 2: Oh, so y'all are like chit chatting and texting and she was just affacting with you, and you're like, oh, she loves me.
Speaker 1: Uh huh from Minnesota. I don't know, maybe it's a I just attribute it to being from Minnesota and the dating culture was different. But it's like, yeah, if we're talking all day, you're for sure into me, and I'm for sure into you. And so I started expressing interest after a month and she was like, oh, no, I'm not interested.
Speaker 2: What did that crush you? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I didn't believe it. And that was like a week before Christmas, and I had all of Christmas off for my job at the time. So I flew down to Miami with no plans except to see her, and her her best friend at the time convinced me that it was a good idea to set up like this sunset sailboat cruise and like a sushi dinner, and it was this gonna be this romantic thing. So I get to the airport at like five am and I text her and I'm like, hey, I'm coming to Miami this weekend with no plans except to see you. Can you pick me up? Can you pick me up from the airport? And I turned my phone off and I hopped on the flight and been like, well, then we figure it out. As the plane's going down into Miami, I start receiving text from her like wait a second, No, you aren't, you're kidding. I'm busy, And I was like, well, I'm here, and she's like, okay, fine, I'll pick you up. And she picks me up and we go on this sunset sailboat cruise and it was the most awkward date of my life. I think.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a date, you just because it wasn't a date.
Speaker 1: In my mind, it was for sure a date, and in her best friend's mind it was too but and then afterwards she she was like, all right, well, I gotta go play volleyball with my friends. Are you good here? And I'm sitting on the street corner in Miami with my luggage like, yeah, I'm good. I'll figure it out, and I like got home a few days later. I ended up spending a few days with some friends there. I got home and I reached out to her and I was like, hey, that was really disappointing, and she's like, why didn't ask you to come? And I was like, it's not wrong.
Speaker 2: She's not wrong.
Speaker 3: So that was a bold move, Zach.
Speaker 2: I mean, if some dude that I had in the total friend zone just surprised me with a sunset sushi date, it could break.
Speaker 1: Me out totally. And I think it did for her, and it did. For like six months. We were like, we talk a little, and then we'd start flirting and she's like nah, And it took from that point. It took nine months until we finally started like talking and then we started dating, fell in love.
Speaker 2: Dating happened. What was that line that switched?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She was just praying through it, and one day she felt like God was like, as crazy as you think, this is, like, give Zack a chance. And she started talking to me, and all of a sudden, she said, it was like a veil lifted up over her eyes and she saw me for who I really am and was like, oh, I'm in love with this guy. Actually, And she called me and was like, hey, I know that this is gonna sound crazy, but I'm interested. And she said like she saw me at this at this like Cuban Club were we were both at for somebody's birthday party, and she said, like a green she saw like a green light above my head, and it was like it's go time. And we literally started dating and we got engaged four months later, and we got married two months later. And that was five years ago, and we have our first kid come in in just a couple months here.
Speaker 2: So y'all are completely friend zone the whole time, like no kiss, no nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Fort And.
Speaker 2: You just were pursuing her like you just knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, And I just kept showing up and then like we'd run into each other because I was living halftime in Miami and halftime in Minnesota at that point, and so we'd we had the same friend group, so we'd always be around each other. And I was just really nice to her and she would kind of confused her early on because she's like anybody else in Miami would have been like, well you got a big forehead anyways, or like something mean like that. And I was just always like kind and like, hey, if it works out, great, If it doesn't, so be it. And I think that was that won er over for sure.
Speaker 2: How did you know right away that she was the one?
Speaker 1: I just, man, that's a good question. I there was just something so unique about her that I was like, I want to spend the rest of my life getting to know her, and just the way that she was with people, the way that she carried herself, the way that she spoke to people, the wisdom that she had, and her love for the Lord, and yeah, that was huge.
Speaker 2: Well that's a great story that stay persistent.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you. Consistency over long periods of time is how you win people.
Speaker 2: You know, even in marriage and love.
Speaker 1: True love too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, so you've had quite a journey with God. Yeah, and God, I mean God should should be the center of all people's lives. But as far as like your life, it is like you do all your work is with God. You're an author, your content creator, everything is to bring people to God. And I think that is so amazing and I feel like right now we are in such a spiritual awakening. Do you feel that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. And I think it's more so people that are like reaching out for the first time than people that like grew up in church and fell away and are coming back to the church. But it's people that are like, oh, I've never even held a Bible before, and I'm walking in the door of a church for the first time. I don't know what I'm doing. And that's where I'm come into play.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I want to talk to you about your book, The Bible Simplified, and also your your whole brand that you made, the brand Sunday, Like that is like a big, big, big thing that you created that has like impacted the world. It's like a huge brand.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about how you came up with that too. But I have a few questions because I I'm deeply spiritual and I have been on a faith journey forever. Because like you, I feel like you grew up in the church, right, Yeah, But then when you were in your teens, you hit a spot where you didn't even know if you how you felt about the Bible. I don't know if you questioned your whole relationship with God. And then you went to Australia and have like a deep, deep, deep, immersive Bible study where you were like studying the Bible six days a week, twelve hours a day, which is so intense and crazy, but it like transported your life completely. So I struggled, and I have come to my own faith now and I have a super super super close relationship with God. But it is I would definitely say it is my own relationship with God and not necessarily all from the church, because I have found a lot of the rules in the church to be very restrictive, and they can. I just feel like sometimes it leaves people out for no good reason, if that makes sense. Do you ever feel that way?
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I think, uh, that's often been twisted in a lot of ways, and I think a lot of people I think you need to understand the heart behind the rules, if you will. We believe that God is like a holy God more so than anything else, and that His ways are the best ways, and that he's given us the Bible to teach us how to live a life that's holy, and that's that's in line with him. And so yes, the Bible does have a lot of rules to it.
Speaker 2: But a lot lot there to keep you, to keep you out of your own way, honestly, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of yeah. And I think a lot of people will read books like Leviticus or the second half of Exodus and they're like, oh, the whole Bible is rules, but we are no longer if you're if you're a New Testament Christian, you're no longer held to the laws of the Old Testament. Explain so so like like there's a rule that's like no tattoos.
Speaker 2: Or or noticing your army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have tattoos all over.
Speaker 2: And I've seen a lot of people who say, like, if you tattoo certain things on your body, it can create like a portal that's like demonic on your body or something. Because I have tattoos.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: It's like if you have a certain certain types of tattoo, it can invite negative But to see, that's the part that's freaking me out because then everybody has all these things to say, and it's like, oh, my gosh, who do I believe? How do you know? And this person doesn't and why are you the authority and you're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we believe that Jesus was the fulfillment of the law, and so like there is a law in the Old Testament, it's like six hundred and thirteen rules, things like you can't eat cheeseburgers, for instance, because you can't have like milk, or you can't have cheese and meat at the same time, or you can't like you have to grow out certain parts of your But those rules we believe were fulfilled through Jesus. And so that now like the greatest laws are to love God and to love others as yourself. And then also like the moral laws are still there, but the sacrificial laws and the cleanliness laws, certain laws like that from the Old Testament aren't no longer necessary for the New Testament Christian today. And so yes, like we should like follow the ten Commandments for sure, and Jesus kind of rewrote a lot of the law in what's called the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew five through seven, and it's like, Okay, you've heard it said this, but I'm actually gonna flip it upside down a little bit and show you that the Kingdom of God is something pretty different than you thought it was, and I'm gonna invite you into that and to help spread the Kingdom throughout the world, because that's been the goal and the and our our job from the beginning is to take God's presence, or to take take what he created originally garden of Eden, and expand that throughout the rest of the world. And so for us as Christians today, we're supposed to take our areas, our home, our neighborhood, our job, and we're supposed to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to that. And that looks like love and hope and peace and kindness and justice and also living a lifestyle of holiness and worship dedicated to the Lord. And I think in the church a lot of the time, or even just like through social media, it'll be like people will take one verse and run with it, but not understand the full heart behind it, or if it even still applies to us today. And so that's what I'm trying to bring some clarity to because I think a lot of people don't actually understand their faith. And I think a lot of people are just so overwhelmed and confused by the Bible without realizing that it's a story. It's fifty percent of it is a story, but we look at it like, oh, it's just a bunch of rules of how I should live my life. But that's not the case at all. It's a really small portion of it. And so if I can get somebody to grab the Bible for the first time, hold their hand, and build their foundational understanding of it so that they can read the Bible and wrestle with things and figure it out the rest of their life, that makes me happier than anything.
Speaker 2: How do you make that in your book the Bible simplified? How do you make this becomes someone's own personal faith and not just something they've been taught. Because that's another thing that I feel like a bunch of people will have resistance to it, and me myself, I had resistance to this for a long time. Was I felt like I was just learning about what the Bible said and trying to follow these rules and feeling like I was going to hell if I didn't. I am thankful for all of my exploration and the moments that I doubted God and the moments that I questioned my faith, because now I actually have a true faith.
Speaker 1: I think a big thing for me when I fell away is I was seeing other Christians that were more hypocritical, and I was seeing people that weren't Christian of maybe of other faith or or no faith at all, and they were like so kind and nice, and I was like, why is it that the Christians are living one way and the people that aren't Christian are living a different way. I was like, I'm not going to allow another person to impact my view of God. I'm going to actually explore it myself. And that's when I really went in and dove deep into the Bible and was like, Okay, if I really believe that this is truth, and then this is how I need to live my life from here on out. And as you as you said, like the rules and everything, that's yes, for sure, like we we have put up like barriers and boundaries on how we should live our life. But like the word gospel, so we say, like the Gospel of Jesus, and like the word gospel isn't a Christian word, it's actually it was used all over the ancient Near Eastern Roman Greek world where it was like, Okay, if a new leader was in town, this is what their kingdom is going to look like. And so when the Gospel of Jesus was spread, it was saying, okay, Jesus. We believe Jesus is king, and the Kingdom of God looks like this. It looks like there's healing and there's peace, and there's love, and there's joy, and people are being set free and relationships are being restored and there's forgiveness, and that's the king. That's the true Kingdom of God that we're trying to spread all aro instead of just being over here like ooh, I had four drinks instead of one, and so now I'm going to Hell. I think that's just a complete miss of what the actual gospel message is. But we're sent here. We're like, if you have the Holy Spirit, you're here to bring the Kingdom of God to our surrounding area and say that, hey, this is like the world says that life is meant to be done this way. We believe that it's different, and we believe that God has something bigger for us, and there's hope for the future, and you can be a part of that too. And God is a part of this. He's in the middle of this restoration process where he's going to be making all things new at the end, and we can join in on that right now. We won't see it the fruition of it fully until the end of time, but for now we can begin that restoration process and be used by him and co labor with him to bring the Kingdom to our surrounding areas. And so for me, it's like, okay, with my stuff, I'm trying to bring hope to people's lives. I'm trying to let them be less stressed out and overwhelmed by the Bible and trying to hold their hand as they read through it. And I'm trying to let them know that, hey, God has a plan for your life and you have a calling and he wants to partner with you to help other people also realize the same thing. And so if I can do that, that brings me so much joy that I can't even imagine get anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So when you wrote the Bible simplified, yeah, what are your goals with this? And tell me the layout of it, Why this book is different than others, how we can digest it.
Speaker 1: So the Bible is fifth twenty percent story, and it's about a third poetry, and the rest is like pros or discourse. And so for a lot of us, we look at the Bible where we're like, oh, it's only rules. But that's just not the case. And so I really focus on the storyline of scripture from beginning to end and where we're at in the process and what that means for us living out our lives. So I really zoom out and I see it from a whole, unified perspective, and I break it down into forty really short chapters that are like three to four pages a piece, so that you don't get overwhelmed by that either, because if I don't want you overwhelmed by the Bible, I don't want you overwhelmed by this book. And so you can go through it in forty days. You can go through it in a day if you want. But it's really taking the big picture story and showing you, Okay, this is where you're at in the timeline, this is what's going on, this is what's going on in history, so that all of these little pieces make so much more sense to us. And I think by doing so, by bringing in the historical side to it, it shows, Okay, this is what I'm I'm a part of, this is what my ancestors did, this is what I'm signing up for, and it shows me how to how to live Kingdom lifestyle today. There was this fascinating study that came out recently where if somebody reads the Bible or go or just goes to church, not much happens in their life. If somebody reads the Bible twice a week and one of those times is going to church, not much happens in their life. If they read the Bible three times a week and one of those times is going to church, not much happens in their life. But for anybody that interacts with the Bible four times a week minimum, like the stats are through the roof of forgiveness and hope and joy and purpose and like less depression and anxiety. And it's like at four times is when everything shifts. So if I can get people to do that in some way and not just open the Bible because they feel obligated to, but open it because they understand what they're reading and where they're going, and they have a purpose in their interaction with the Bible, then I'm all about that.
Speaker 2: So what happened to you when you were in Australia and you were like deeply immersed in the Bible for twelve hours a day, six days a week, because before then you were questioning your faith? What happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I think. I think a lot of us that grow up in church we know certain Bible verses and we know certain stories, but we don't know how they all work together and how they are real historical books as well. And so when I got to Australia, we were studying twelve hours a day, six days a week, and we read the Bible five times through in nine months, and like wrote our own commentary on it essentially. And it was during that process, like I think day two probably is when everything changed for me, and like some light bulb went off where it was like, oh, Philippians was written to the church in Philippi by a guy named Paul, Like it just became so much more real and tangible and historical, and by having that, it made it more real to me than just like this woo woo like thing that you read and it teaches you how to live a good life. But it was, No, this is a story that I'm signing up for and I'm saying that I'm a part of this. And now it's showing me, historically, over over thousands of years, how to how to live a life and be set apart and to be holy for God and to bless other people, because from the beginning God has chosen a group of people in order to bless other people and bring them in. It's it's never been to like, oh, I'm blessing these people and everybody else is out of here. It's I'm blessing these people in order to bring other people in. And if the people that are brought in want to be a part of it, they can be. And so, as gentile non Jewish believers in God, we believe that we were brought into that and that we're receiving that blessing as well. And that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: So how did you is that when you felt like you started to develop your own personal relationship with God? And how is that? How is that different from you than just knowing about the Bible? Like, what is the difference for anyone listening, Like, how would you describe the difference of like actually feeling God and like feeling God in your life, seeing it, knowing God's there from a personal standpoort standporn't yeah, versus just following what you've learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like going from that on that eighteen inch journey from like your head to your heart. And I think we can know a ton and we can be around a ton of thing is because we feel like we should. But there needs to be some time in your relationship where you transfer it from Okay, this is just what I know to this is how I feel, and this is impacting who I become today. And I think we become transformed by spending time in the Bible and spending time in prayer and spending time in worship. And I think the more that you do that, and the more you understand God's heart behind things, it impacts who you become as a person and can learn how to go about the world and show love and hope to others. And so for me, it's every morning spending time in the Bible, spending time in prayer, and then spending time in like listening prayer and believing that the Holy Spirit's going to speak to me and that he has something to say and that our relationship with God is two way, and it's not just one way, So we aren't just only talking to him, but He also something to say to us at all times. And so I believe that the more that you do that, the more he will speak and the louder his voice will get. And it's gonna take a long time, and it's going to take trying and and mishearing from him, but I think eventually he's so faithful and good to us that he does show up and and you can learn to hear from him.
Speaker 2: How does God speak to you?
Speaker 1: Uh? For me, it's like a like a still small voice, like deep within me where you just like I've heard it say like like you just know when you're nowhere. And so for me it's like, oh, I just know that I either need to do this thing or or say like life is chaotic, and then all of a sudden, you he like gives you some random idea over here to like reach out to this person or to say this thing to somebody. A lot of the times, it's it's like you're being stopped in your tracks with a thought that you didn't have before or that didn't even really make sense in the moment, but it can be of help to somebody else, because that's why he speaks to us. It's in order to love the people around us and to show them that He's good.
Speaker 2: Why do you think awful terrible things happen to good people?
Speaker 1: Especially because yeah, of course, I mean it's I think bad things happen to people and then they're like, God, why did you do this to me?
Speaker 3: Without where are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, But it's just the result of sin from like from the beginning, and it's been a spiral ever since then. So every bad thing that happens in our lives is the result of sin spiraling for thousands and thousands of years. And so, yes, God is good, and yes he's like using us and spreading his kingdom around us, but that doesn't mean that Satan isn't real, and that he's also empowering people all around us in major ways and also in like hidden small ways, and over time, it's all piled up, and I believe that that heaven and like the new Heaven and the new Earth, is going to be a time where there isn't any of the impacts from sin. So like food for us right now doesn't taste the way it should because of sin. Trees don't look the way they should because of sin us, and our skin don't look the way that they should because of sin. And but we're we're on the direction of this restoration process where God's going to redeem everything, and when that happens, all of it will be brought to the way that it's supposed to be, where food will taste the way it's supposed to be, the sky will look the way it is, and you and I are going to look different as well. And that's something that's really aiting.
Speaker 2: I always wrap up with leave your Light, and it's just a super open ended question and basically, what do you want people to know? Just to drop some inspiration hmmm.
Speaker 1: I would say, give reading the Bible a chance and don't stop when you hit Leviticus, but understand it from a big picture perspective.
Speaker 2: Is Leviticus the chapter that turns it gets everybody? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Typically most people, most people stop their Bible into your reading plan when they get to all the rules and it's like not a big part of the Bible at all, but most people stop there.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I love that, Zagen. We didn't even talk about the Brand Sunday. Can you just tell us quickly what that is because it's such a it impacted on such a big level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, the Brand Sunday. They make resources to help people grow in their faith and be less overwhelmed by the Bible. I owned it for five years. We were acquired a couple of years back, but I still work with them in a ton of ways, basically creating Bible studies and books to literally help people as they read through the whole Bible.
Speaker 2: I love that, Okay, And what do you want to tell someone like me who is still who believes in Jesus, who has a strong faith, but just is still a little bit like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. What do you want to tell tell that kind of person?
Speaker 1: I would say, start by reading this book because it will be your foundation, and then go from there because once you understand the history of it, it'll shift what you're taught in church a lot of the time, or what you were taught growing up, and you'll realize that, oh, this is way bigger than just Jesus being a good person, but this is the God of the universe coming in human form to transform everything to save me. And that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, thank you so much, Zach. And where can everybody find you? Where can they keep up with you?
Speaker 1: Instagram and under Zach Wendell and then everywhere books are sold.
Speaker 2: And you do a lot of content like you do, like Bible studies in your content, and like you do a lot of like little quick like little bites for people if they need motivation a.
Speaker 1: Few times a day, devotionals, teachings and anything to give you a little bit of hope throughout your day.
Speaker 2: I love it, Okay, Zach, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so much. Have a great day you too.
Speaker 2: Bye.