Speaker 1: Happy, Happy holidays, Brown Ambition Fam, it's mandra here. As you guys know, Tiff and I are taking a little break before the new year, but we've still got you covered with some of our favorite Brown Ambition moments from twenty twenty one. All throughout this month, we're looking back at memorable conversations and breaking down the most important lessons we've learned this year. We can't thank you enough for sticking by us in what has become one of our biggest years for the show ever. So many amazing memories from this year and I cannot wait to revisit some of them with all of you. Guys. Are beloved BA fam. In this episode, we are breaking down the importance of toughening up. First, Are you overwhelmed or just lazy? That's the question social justice leader Tamika D. Mallory posed in a controversial Instagram post this year. It caused all kinds of debate and remains one of our most memorable conversations to date. Then, we revisit an inspiring lesson on so surviving and thriving through the pandemic with the one and only founders of Double Dutch Aerobics, Sean and Michelle Clark. Y'all are gonna love this conversation. I have never wanted to go dust off my old pair of double Dutch ropes more than after this inspiring conversation with Sean and Michelle. So sit back, relax, and let's dive into this week's throwback episode.
Speaker 2: Hey Hey, Hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown, and its.
Speaker 3: Jean, which I could see me like when I get the hands going. It's giving Auntie realness.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I was just gonna say, you are extra chocolatey today. I'm seeing like the monochrome lip happening. You're kind of blurry, but I feel like you have a little bit of bronze a on your eyelid. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I woke up like this. I have not even washed my face today.
Speaker 1: This is oh, shut up, I take it back, but you look gorgeous.
Speaker 2: I mean I put a hit on it. I was like, did you watch your face today? To be I'm like, you know what I did not.
Speaker 1: I woke up and I took off my acne patch at the last minute, so I was like, they're probably going to be able to see it. That's where I'm at today. Happy random vision Wednesday. How are you a mandra I am a little frazzled, but I'm doing good. I finally, finally, well, I don't even know if I can say finally. It wasn't like something that I was thinking about for a long time, but all of a sudden, I just had this epiphany last week. It's time for an admin. It's time for an assistant.
Speaker 2: And not like you like you're gonna say it's time for the percolator.
Speaker 1: You're like, it's time for the time for It's not a percolator, it's acolator.
Speaker 2: No, it's the percolator. You're showing your age. You're so young. So the original song is time for the percolator.
Speaker 3: So now they change to the tculator whatever they talk now literally the original song is the percolator.
Speaker 2: And it's like some of your dance to it right now, like.
Speaker 3: It's that slide, like you know, you gotta do the it's time for the percolate, like side to side and then you got to do your footwork like it's got the.
Speaker 1: Thing you got me just say, okay, young blood, let me take you aside and teach you something because.
Speaker 2: I was, and it shows.
Speaker 1: This is why you need people of all different you know, ages and backgrounds, because look how much more educated I am.
Speaker 3: That you know that you will not embarrass yourself at the at the next family function.
Speaker 2: I hope not.
Speaker 1: I hope not. Lord No, I'm a little I'm a little frazzled, but I I finally I found a wonderful young woman to help me and be my admin. And could not have been I'd been at a better time, because it seems like everything has been a little whack a doodle the past week, starting with the fact that somehow I managed to book so I'm going to Atlanta for a thing, and I managed to book two flights to Atlanta. So one day two weeks ago, I was like, okay, I finally got details. I'm going to book this flight. And then five days went by and I don't know what. I just forgot that I had done it, and I was like, oh crap, I got to book this flight. I got it, and I set my reminder, and then I booked another flight, and then I was looking at my calendar and I'm like, why do I have two different options one and there are different times leaving and different times arriving, Like the brain is just not you know where she needs be, so referral. I have a really great I don't even know what to call Marisa. Marisa is my She's someone that I met in my last job and she has become I think I've talked about her before. She's sort of like my business budgetnistas how I feel. So she and I actually talk every week, and we have both been launching our solo business at at the same time, and so we just check each other. It's like we just ended up having these weekly Friday calls and Marisa ended up I could talk about her all day. But she is powerhouse professional PR REP. And she is on this mission to give black women opportunities in PR that they may not otherwise have. And we were talking about our sponsor word Tune, and I really was meaning. What we were talking about is how important written communication is and if you do not have communication skills on point, it can really hurt you. But what so often happens is people who may have the writing skills, they may not have the professional background or specific jobs in PR to get those opportunities, and they may be wanting to pivot, but it can be hard for them to pivot into that career. So Marisa is basically training and helping people who have those great communication verbal skills, written skills, but they just need some training and coaching and how to do that in the context of public relations and comms. So anyway, so I was talking to Marisa, so she's like, it's time, and I said, I know it's time, and then she happened to be working with this young woman named Rock. So Hey, Rocks, I'm adding you as my assistant. But I'm excited because literally before fifteen minutes before we started recording, my little brother Tech called me and he's all sound and haggard, and I was like, what's wrong, Alex, because I'm staying with him in Atlanta because Atlanta is the COVID hell mouth right now. And He's like, listen, I got the aches, I got the chills, I'm not feel I'm fatigued. Meanwhile, he has had COVID, he is vaccinated, so I just to be on the safe side, I'm scrambling, I was. I was like, Rocks, I got something for you. I need a hotel and I have never needed to use the app hotels tonight more than yeah, I need it now.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, I would say, so here's some here's some unsolicited admin advice.
Speaker 1: Give it to me, because I know you've been through them girls one or two or three or seven definitely for my team was like is it you?
Speaker 2: I'm like, is not me. I've had a lot of really awesome trauma.
Speaker 3: But no, But what I've would I learned with admins one it actually like whatever, like give her like a general name because it's unlikely that Rocks will be with you for like the next twenty years. You know, you just never know it's possible, but you never know. So you know, my admin's name is her real name is Rose. But y'all have ever emailed me professionally or otherwise, it's always Michelle.
Speaker 2: Whether I've had admin's name.
Speaker 3: Sylvia, Leah, Roseanne, Rose, Talatha, little Candice. I've just had so many different admins and but either way, in the inox d Molly Vicky Thomas, about three kims.
Speaker 2: Like all write dmx no but for real.
Speaker 3: So so that's always a good idea because it just helps us like with continuity, like you know, as your brand grows.
Speaker 2: So that's one.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, And honestly, I mean, just like honestly, open communication is always key, I believe just this is just in general with like teams and whatever. What I've gotten really like good at is like I want my admin to think what would Tiffany do? So in the beginning, you know, we talk all the time. As I'm giving her instruction, I like to give her the backstory. So I'm like, so, for example, I'm like, you know, let's just say something for a brand ambition that you've emailed me. So I'm not just like, oh, just let Mandy know, yeah, Wednesday's fine. I'm like, so, Mandy's my friend, but we have a podcast today together, but we're actually really friends. And then so it's important because when she emails you that way doesn't sound off formal like hello Mandu, you know.
Speaker 1: And actually why not let him?
Speaker 5: I'm like, just like, hey girl, anyway, be very scary and that you're afraid of me.
Speaker 3: So so I just think that like yeah, with admins, well with anyone anyway, but especially admins, like you know, giving them kind of like I call it the soap opera, Like you know, you're like, okay, so this is my favorite show.
Speaker 2: So that's Marcus.
Speaker 3: So Marcus really likes Vanessa, but Vanessa is not luck Marcus, because it really helps to make like wiser, more holistic choices when I'm not as you know, as present.
Speaker 2: And so that was it, honestly.
Speaker 3: But honestly, don't be afraid too because it doesn't take It took me a long time to realize.
Speaker 2: It doesn't take a whole day to recognize sunshine.
Speaker 3: Where I've had admins that weren't a fit and kept them for a year and drowned instead. So now I'm like, no, you know, like there was an admin that we had recently, and three days in I was like, yeah, this is not a fit. And then within a week I was like, you know, we wish you well, but this is not a fit. I'm not doing that anymore where I'm gonna suffer for a year when something's not a fit. They might be a fit someplace else. Because we've had admins who've been on the team and now they work on another team, you know, because it was a better fit for them there. And then just some people who weren't just a culture fitted at all. But yeah, like you know, because it's such a critical like my COEO Karen is my right hand, I tell them and I told.
Speaker 2: Rose, you are my left hand.
Speaker 3: Like You're like you might, you know, if Oprah emails me, you'll see it before I do, so, like you know, like ADMIN sounds like too small or worting compass.
Speaker 1: I'm stress like, do you want to be on watch when Oprah emails? Tiffany be like how does email work?
Speaker 3: Because we get some cool stuff that comes through, and I'm like, you know, so it's exciting, you know because some of the people like ADMIN that seems like beneath me and I'm like, no, sis, like, oh yes, it's so critically important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can come up executive assistant, whatever you want to call it, human roll of duct tape. Just fix all the things, you know what I mean, all the teams. Yes, know that, Thank you, thank you. I think that for me, I learned I made a lot of mistakes running a team and building a team and working with assistants in the past. And one of the biggest mistakes that I made was not being able to particulate what I needed. And I actually still do this from time to time. We were just in Saint Louis visiting my mom and I'm just not used to having help, right, I mean, I have a husband, but you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, and my mom. I'm running around and I'm just like stressed out. It's the first day we're there. You know, we've thirty we've survived a thirty hour road trip, et cetera. And it's I'm trying to still work and I'm running around rio. We have to like give him allergy medicine. We're looking for like one of those little syringes whatever, but no one knew. I'm running around with a chicken, like a chicken with his head cut off, and I'm just like, I have this deadline and in my head, in my head, I'm just like, why isn't my mom more helpful? Like why isn't she just like seeing what I need? And she's and she stopped me, and she's like, I can't help you if you don't tell me what you need. And I need a some ringe and she's like, oh, this one, and she had anyway, so for me, And that's so anyway, So me with me and Rocks, it's going to be all about you know, I had I did some introspective like thinking about what do I need and what are some tasks and all of that so that I'm not just bringing someone on who has no direction. Yeah, but you know all in yes, I hope I Rocks has a cool career of her own and you know, has her own business. And it's almost like she has two bosses because she also works with Marisa and she knows, like you know what I mean. I kind of like that. I'm like, yeah, if Maurice is on the phone and I'm just like, hey, you know, I'm your boss now and just like hang up on Marine.
Speaker 2: I mean I did that.
Speaker 3: I make sure she creates while she's there, like an s op, right, a scope of work, like what like we got it.
Speaker 1: She's about that business. I had one over the weekend. Yeah, thats no, that's excellent.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. We have we have Loom calls.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys use Loom, not calls, but like Loom is like these recordings that we do now. So it's like to actually show someone and then you click. It's like some latrea like our like our tech manager on our team kind of like got us used to that.
Speaker 2: It's so helped because I'm not techie.
Speaker 3: So like if I'm like trying to figure out how to do a thing, we have like you know, these sets of videos like here's how you upload to da da da, Here's how you you know, use whatever like tool or resource. And it's just so helpful, those short videos.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's how you use it. Yeah, oh that's cute design.
Speaker 1: Here for the website, Shirley uses loom.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, yes, that's why. That's why. No, but that's great having help. Having help is so good. You sent me like an Instagram post speaking of which, can we.
Speaker 1: Talk about it? Yes?
Speaker 4: Ken?
Speaker 1: Why didn't we have to?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: I know you're not on ig like you used to be, but did you were you aware of it before I sent you this?
Speaker 2: Oh? And so did it blow up?
Speaker 1: Okay, it blew up on this person's page. So this is and I actually shared it on our stories just to get some quick feedback from our audience. Because so this is a post that Tamika D. Mallory posted. And if you have ever heard of the Women's March that happened in twenty seventeen after the inauguration of He who must not be named, Tamika was one of the founders of that march, and she has become you got over a million followers on Instagram she's become a huge social activist and she does amazing work. Like this woman is a bad, bad woman, and she I mean in a good way, you know what I mean, She's amazing and I feel what.
Speaker 2: I saw.
Speaker 1: This just pop into my feed, this post that she put up, and I will I will read it to you guys too. But my gut reaction was something about this does not set right with me. But before we get into it, because it is, you know, she's been getting into it. It has over four thousand comments on her own page, and it's starting to make the rounds on other black influencer pages. But before we get into it, because we do need to talk about it. I think I just want to establish that I am not a huge fan of like cancel people because they said something a bit toned off or whatever. Like this woman has done so much for and still does. She just hosted an amazing event in Harlem that was free for kids and for families anyway, So this maybe was a misstep in my opinion, but I don't think it at all. It takes away from her the body of work that she has done and how much good she has done. So that's my disclaimer. But here's so here's the post. It's one of those take a picture of a tweet and post it things. And she says, IDK, who needs to hear this? But you're not overwhelmed. You are lazy and unorganized. Wake up earlier, get an agenda, book, create a routine, create boundaries, say no, stick to your schedule, write down and adhere to your deadlines. You are standing in your own way. And her caption said, let me write a caption here, because it seems people don't understand that every post is not for every person. There are many people who just need to focus on their plan, stay off the internet and prioritize and stop being lazy. That's me at times. And this post is for you if you know you can do better, and.
Speaker 3: I will leave it there, and then she liked so she did an updated post just so you know, like I guess the next post she said she double out yes, when I read a post that says I don't know who needs to hear this? And then I read the post and it doesn't apply to me, I move on. I don't tell the person who's post to get they are they are wrong about something they feel is important.
Speaker 2: Could it be that it hit you deep.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing. Here's what I say. Right, you are free to post whatever you want, but also people are free to respond unless you turned off comments. Right and then two. I don't know, girl, because I have been on both sides. We're definitely there's times when I've just been straight lazy, you know. And there's times when I'm overwhelmed. Not because I'm actually overworked. I'm overwhelmed because there's underlying stress that is actually causing me. Like I know, when I'm feeling stressed, if one nap is not enough, like usually I take maybe like forty five minute nap. But if I'm like yo, I slept two hours today during the day and then I'm still tired and I'm tired again. One of the fastest ways that my body gives me an indication, Tiffany, you are stressed deeply, so borderline depressed is I'm sleepy in a way. That's unap. That's not me being lazy. That is my body saying stop. We are overwhelmed. For whatever we say, it doesn't necessarily mean overworked, but we are overwhelmed and we are physically slowing you down.
Speaker 2: I think she just missed the mark.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get what she's saying, because certainly, you know, there are definitely times when it's like, you know, if you really could do a little bit more, or you could step up. But to say here's the thing, I would have just it would have hit better if it was like sometimes we've all been lazy and we need to get organized, wake up. But to say you're not overwhelmed, it's like you're making a judgment. You don't know that someone's not overwhelmed. You know, you don't know the cause if they're overwhelmed. It just it's an easy, lazy post. And then to say, oh, well, oh well, oh well, if it doesn't apply to you, it's like, well it doesn't work that way. It says you posted it publicly, so you get addressed publicly, and that's okay. That's just the way the world works. I can freely speak and share, and people can freely give me their their feedback, you know, so it goes both ways. So I think that it was like kind of a miss step there. Although certainly, sometimes you know, we need a little kick in the behind, But I don't know that this is it.
Speaker 1: This is a thing, and this is why I'm kind of like Tiffany, you were right to get off IG because this is the danger of being an IG and putting yourself You're scrolling through social media land minds is how I feel it, and you don't know when you're gonna hit one. And I know because as someone who who deals with anxiety, and not even I will fully, there's a spectrum of anxiety, and I am on the border of having like a diagnosed anxiety disorder. But I have managed and have people in my life who truly have debilitating anxiety disorders that stem from things like sexual assault, being abused in the past, or they generally just have an anxiety disorder. And I put myself in the shoes of someone and having also dealt with my own anxiety, who is just scrolling through their IG feed and they see this, And this is where her intention doesn't really met her, because the thing is the person. Even if she says this may not be for everybody, everybody is going to see it because you posted it publicly, and it's very You say tough love, and I agree. I have said things like this to people that I love, a cousin, a sibling. I'm the tough love sibling in the family, Like I call it like it is. I'm like, you know, which I can do because I think that we have such a foundation of love and support and they know that it's coming from that place of love and support. And that's why I think that's where like people that you know personally, I think you can give them that tough love and you know. So it sounds like she knows some people, maybe three or four or I don't know how many who she should have texted this too privately. I do not think that the entire world and unsuspecting people who may have been scrolling on their ig feeds who follow her for her amazing work, deserve to see something like this, because I just my heart breaks, because even I have been someone who had to learn, who had to learn to be gentle with people who have anxiety and have mental health issues. I am someone who, you know, if you're walking too slow, I'm like, just hurry up, Oh your ankle hurts, you know, Like, and that's because I am so hard on myself for my own self esteem issues. It's my own like I'm projecting my insecurity on someone else, you know what I mean? Now, where I have learned to be really empathetic to people, as I've seen how a fucking to do list and an agenda book does not work when you have an anxiety disorder. The problem is not that you don't know. I'm looking at this post and I'm like getting even angrier. The problem isn't that they don't know how to do the things.
Speaker 2: It's that you.
Speaker 1: Can write down a list step one through ten, and if step one is put on your shoes, they are still paralyzed, you know, and everything is overwhelming and laying on the couch or taking a walk or doing whatever, you know, putting their head under a pillow that seems like the what their body needs at that time.
Speaker 5: And I just think I still timed right, like there's never a good time, right, but meaning like especially now, especially now, are we gonna act like there's not collective trauma that we're all dealing with.
Speaker 2: And we've seen people die.
Speaker 3: In mass right, scared to go outside, like run, you know, running to get your mask every single time, worrying about your elderly parents or your grandma.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Now kids are getting the delta variant and dying. I saw a four year old just died. We didn't just have like these terrible storm systems that passed through. So I'm just saying, like, literally, there is a collective trauma that we are experiencing worldwide. You know, this is not good times, you know, the nineties, when the when the when the economy is doing good worldwide. No, there is a collective trauma that we are experiencing as a human race period.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: There's no corner of the world that has not been experiencing some form of trauma as relates to what's happened with COVID, And so I just feel like, although it's never a good time, it's actually ill timed because sometimes people don't even know that they're experiencing trauma. Like literally, I won't know that like something is going on until like Superman will be like you all right, and I'm like, yeah, why, He's like, this is your third nap today.
Speaker 2: I'm like it is, you know, And I'm like, well.
Speaker 3: Like I'll just be sitting on a cap and I can't even keep my eyes open, and I'm like, but you slept last night, Tiffany, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm weary, but not physically tired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think, like I hear you says, but well, then you have to hear us too, like not as.
Speaker 1: Saying it, and remember that your words have so much power. How could she forget?
Speaker 2: How can you forget?
Speaker 1: You can't help but be dificainst that energy. And there's plenty of people who were like, yeah, I mean, they're thanking her for saying it. And I do think that people read this and they were like yop. But I also I don't. I don't think this is that much different, and maybe I should think before I say this. I'm trying to think really fast. But remember Rachel Hollis when she came out and she said, do you think I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Be relatable relatable?
Speaker 1: Yes? Was Harriet Tubman relatable Da da da da da? Now her, it's it's very different. Rachel Hollis is white da da da, you know, and she has that whole series called girl dot dot Dot, which is you know, I think, culturally appropriating, like a phrase that black women started. But anyway, and in this case, I just feel like it's almost as if she's saying this wasn't for you, you know, if you're not if you don't find this, if you don't enjoy what I'm saying then it wasn't for you, so just keep it moving, you know, Like, I'm not trying to relate to everybody, but when you have a public platform, your words have matter, and they they matter and they have such a huge reach. And so I just fear for the people who are looking at that and internalizing that same dialogue, which is that something is wrong with me if I can't do things I should have things everyone else should have. I mean, this is the peril of being on social media, and it is one of those I think digital land mines that just it goes off, and I think if you're the one who plans it there, you have to take responsibility for that. I hate that it was her because she's wonderful and her work is so extraordinary. But I was disappointed, I really was in how she handled the whole thing, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Girl, Like laziness is not Sometimes laziness is actually the symptom.
Speaker 1: To a greater issue. Isn't that what white people have been calling Black people for so long? Or like wanting to think that we're just lazy? Yes, why are you complaining? Don't be a victim? Wow, it's like internalized racism, internalized patriarchy, internalize all the things that are manifesting themselves, and that if.
Speaker 3: You would just do this, Like I have a friend that created something and it was stolen from him.
Speaker 2: He's a black creator.
Speaker 3: It was stolen for him, and I'm like, you know all the things they say, Well, if you just worked hard, he did. He built something that was unique and brought it to market connected with an advisor.
Speaker 2: The advisor knew wealthier folks, gave them.
Speaker 3: Back room access to the thing that he built, so they were their engineers were able to recreate it, was able to raise one hundred million dollars for their project off his black back.
Speaker 2: And you'd be like, oh, well, maybe went to school.
Speaker 3: He went to Harvard. I'm sorry, he went to Harvard. So all the things you can check off all the lists, you can build something, you can work really hard, you can go to Harvard. You could do all those things, and someone can still come in and take from you and create.
Speaker 2: Wealth from them for themselves off of you.
Speaker 3: Hello, hello Elvis Presley, Hello all the TikTokers that take all the dances from all the brown babies on TikTok you know, and so like that is not something new. So I hate when people say that, well, if black people just work harder, I'm like, you're kidding, right, you know, because that's not really what's happening. You know, it's possible to work hard and still be taken from and still be stolen from. I mean, it's happened to me, and then what do you do?
Speaker 2: Then? How much hard am I supposed to work?
Speaker 3: I can't make miracles happen, you know, It's just like, yeah, I mean so to see that, especially in the landscape that we're in now, that's why, like I said, you guys to do it's best for you. I am a much best place than I was before. When I tell you what, right before this, I wasn't laid out for a nap. I was like mm hmm, and I have a vacation planned in two weeks. And then I have a yes, I'm going, so me and me and I was gone home. Maybe you don't want to say no, well I won't say I will because you don't know where, but I'm just gonna go to I was like Superman, you know, I've never been to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 2: Let's go for three days. So just book a quick three days.
Speaker 3: Jont mid midweek to like Niagara Falls, and then for my birthday and Hawaii for a week.
Speaker 1: Okay, a little gym and pam office moment. I don't know if you watch the Office, No, I don't, but some of us are not millennials and it shows.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: So, but yeah, Hawaii for my birthday.
Speaker 3: And I just told myself every other month I'm gonna because literally I have Fridays off, so I can leave Friday to Sunday, you know, bring a friend. I have so many points, so I just told myself I'm prioritizing the things that bring me joy, reading books. Y'all know, I take my daily walks. You know, I take my nap if I need it. You know, I was just talking to my puplicist Tracy. The Days shout out to you, Tracy, I should connect her with Your friend's name is Marisol Marisa.
Speaker 1: You know you have Mariice's resume and I already connected you to her, so all you gotta do.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 2: No, I should connect she just busy.
Speaker 4: Let her get her.
Speaker 2: No, I mean just to connect them to together, just to like, you know, just I think.
Speaker 1: It's just they would get on great. Yeah, Tracy is at her own little pr empire two yes.
Speaker 3: And so I no, I just think that, Like so she was saying today, She's like, you know, you don't have You're not doing that much press anymore. And I'm like, no, you know, because I've I've drawn a boundary of like it's not that serious unless I'm really like rolling out a big project. So to me that you have to do what's right for you for me social media, you know, Like I don't know, and you know, I don't see myself coming back where I was before, you know, creating things ahead of time, giving it to the team. I come on to do like my fun lives when I want to, and then I jump off and I'm happier. I'm light, you know, I feel like I have way more space. I'm reading literally at least a book a week, if not too and like I'm just I'm just in a much better place in space. So ta Mika, Marie, I loved you, Gurubadu saying it. And you know, if you are feeling like you know, maybe you're not as motivated, you know, ask yourself, what are the underlying factors that might be preventing you from moving forward in the way that you feel as capitalism, you know.
Speaker 1: Capitalism, they create this. I mean, I think, well, I mean, I just want to stay on this topic for a little bit because I we're kind of segueing into what it means to be even just a business owner or to go out on your own. And I think like you've always been really good about realistic entrepreneur stories and about the struggle and about the grind. But I also think that there's a lot of people out there who have launched businesses and they think that or you have this idea that if I'm not working twenty four to seven, then I'm not doing enough, or I should be working on the weekends. And I feel like it's the I've had the benefit of watching people like you build your business and also having my financial planner, Helen has an even broader service where she actually coaches and helps people become CEOs. And what I love is that I have when I've approached my business is I've taken I've decided I'm not going to sacrifice my mental health. I want a better way of working. You know, I don't want to work when I don't need to. I want to be able to choose how I spend my time and to and like you said, like it's okay to take care of yourself and you can still be a badass business person like a business woman business person when you take naps, when you take a walk, you know, when you draw those lines. And we need more examples like that. So I'm so glad that you're open about it. I am a four. I quit at four o'clock, and.
Speaker 2: I love it so much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was already kind of doing it before, but now I don't have to fee guilty about it.
Speaker 3: Because you're the boss, you know, And to see my boss say, oh, that's why it's me.
Speaker 1: Yes, just that now, and yes, and I flexible working arrangements now that you can work remote, I think it is wonderful. And hopefully yes, and take those naps during the day. And I would literally, even when I was nine to five, like schedule an hour and you know, I have my nap, my moon pod down, my little nap zone. I would take a nap unapologetically around three o'clock because it's like, what am I going to do? Drug myself with caffeine? There's not the people we've just normalized drugging ourselves to get through the day when what our bodies need is some rest, you know.
Speaker 3: Because what you learn is this is that if you maximize the time that you are working, you actually don't have to work as much. So I've learned that, like, for example, if I was if I was writing, like when I was writing getg Go with Money, right, there were times when I was like, oh, Tiffany, I got to push through, and I'd be like, well, what does it do? Because I promise you, whatever this tired work thing is, you're gonna have to rewrite this section because it's not gonna be good work. So I've learned to lean in when I'm feeling energized. Like so if I know I'm feeling energized and normally I maybe only blocked out an hour, I'm like, let's do three, Tiffany, because you got the juice right now, because tomorrow, when you don't feel like doing anything, I don't do anything, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what I've really learned.
Speaker 3: It's almost like my own circadian rhythm as it relates to work, not just not just sleep. Right, So I learned that when I'm on it, I'm like, oh, okay, juices are flowing. I might flow for three days straight, and so I'll really go hard because I know that, like, you know, Saturday, Sunday or Monday or sometimes I just like today, I'm not gonna lie. I wasn't really like I was like, yeah, you know, but because last week I leaned in when I had the juice, it gives me space to relax when I don't, because what it is is that something internally is telling me pull back and relax, and it's okay to honor that now, to be honest, it's different. I always remind Tracy, my publicist, because she's just started in business, and so I remind her too that she has to create space. But that looks different because you like, in the beginning, the work is a little bit.
Speaker 2: A little bit more frantic.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonna lie, Like there's no way to get around that in the beginning because you don't even.
Speaker 2: Know what you're doing just yet.
Speaker 3: You know, you're still figuring it out, but still really trying to carve out space, you know, Whereas now I don't need to work frantically literally at all.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, girl, what do I pay these people for?
Speaker 3: I pay I pay the people to for franticness you know, and I pay them well and so I it yo, cause Tracy will come over and like like work for my house and like literally it should be like you're just on the couch under a blanket. I'm like, girl, I'm listening to to my new business book. I'm reading this book now called Bill to Sell and it's so great and I'm like, I am working. I'm just working in my my favorite target night dress and my headphones.
Speaker 1: It's just like this what a self made CEO can look like.
Speaker 3: Girl, And honestarily, when I tell you what you do that I promise you the After my six weeks, the level of just like excitement and traces that you've been on one I have been. That break recharged me so fully. It took my idea from like this is eight figures to pitching it and people telling me like when it's ready, this is nine figures. You let me know, And I'm like, really, you know, like that taking time and giving yourself space truly is the best way to success. That overworking yourself just means whatever ideas and things you come up with are tired and semi broken, and so like you take a break before you break. You know, that's always my advice.
Speaker 1: We're so excited to have Michelle and Sean Clark from Double Dutch Aerobics from Atlanta in the house with us. Thank you so much for joining Brown.
Speaker 3: And I remember what was the year that, What was the Girl Trek year?
Speaker 4: What year was?
Speaker 6: Because you know, because I was Yep, it was right Angel.
Speaker 3: So I met Seana Michelle in Colorado at the Girl Trek conference. Girl Trek is this awesome nonprofit that just it helps black women get moving.
Speaker 2: To say they have energy is to say water is wet.
Speaker 3: And I just remember being like, what they people that you never think would double do. I mean, they had people out there eighty black white age. Now I didn't grow I don't know how to double dutch. I felt that was like my shame. I moved away from my black neighborhood just just one year too late before they was teaching her, and so I was like, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: You're like you can. So yes, Mandy knows how to double Dutch. So I'm jealous of her.
Speaker 1: Okay, now that was twenty years ago. I'm so excited about y'all's business. I think Tiffany knew y'all first. I think I might have slid into y'all's DMS or likewise, but we were we were chatting on ig and y'all know I'm from Atlanta and double Dutch is just such a nostalgic activity for me, you know, when I was a little girl, that was just you know, we were latchkey kids in the neighborhood with our bikes and a couple pairs of jump ropes and you could not tell us nothing. We had the best time, you know, with like the littlest amount of equipment. And I just love the concept of this business. But as fun as it is, and how you know, all the energy and enthusiasm that y'all bring to you know, bringing fitness to the Atlanta area, it's also been a pandemonium. It's a pandemic the last year. Right, How have y'all been impacted as a business? You know, where was your business at when the panda hit kind of set the scene for us, Yeah, where were you at right before the pandemic hit? I mean this is a very much in person. You're sweating indoors, you know, you know, jumping and breathing your heart out, and that was all of a sudden not okay, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Slapped us in the face.
Speaker 6: It's very scary for us.
Speaker 4: It was very scary. So it was February.
Speaker 6: It was February.
Speaker 7: Well, first, we've been in business for seven years, right, and it's funny because twenty twenty it was our best year.
Speaker 6: Like it was starting off amazing. Michelle and I we were.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, we finally were going to the top.
Speaker 6: We're going to the top.
Speaker 1: Yes, New Year's Resolution time.
Speaker 4: I mean that is super Bowl, right, it was becoming our biggest year sure, yes, as a business.
Speaker 7: So so in the beginning, you know, we were booking a lot of events for the summer. So we were booked for the summer because we also do so outside of teaching our normal classes, we do events like girl Track and essence fests and prisons. We teach at federal prisons across the country. We do tours, we do you know, we do a lot of things. And everything was but we had our certification weekend that was sold out.
Speaker 6: It sold out in like two weeks.
Speaker 4: So what certification weekend is where we certify instructors to teach our program in their city or their state. Right, so we were completely sold out and it sold out. What in like five days.
Speaker 6: It was super fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And that was in February. We had completely sold out fast, and it was going to be in April. Yes, And we hadn't done one in a year because we had a little human and so we had took a year off. We took a year off from certification, not from work. So this was our year back into certification. And the fact that it sold out so fast, it's like we were finding our group.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were in a groove and.
Speaker 4: Then well, y'all, y'all here, and then the world said stop wait a minute. And at first we were like, you ain't. I don't care about no pandem, but you're not gonna stop us.
Speaker 6: We still doing it. We were still still going.
Speaker 7: You know, it's the New York, right, Let's just keep going, keep going until they stop us.
Speaker 4: Until like put us to like lock the doors, tell us that you cannot leave your house right until.
Speaker 1: Keisha lance Bottom shows up at the door to get till Keisha Land's Bottom shows up in person at the door.
Speaker 4: I was like what, I was devastated. I was devastated because.
Speaker 1: What did it mean for y'all financially? Like paint the picture? I mean, did y'all have reserves. We talk a lot about you know, personal financial rainy day funds, but for small business owners, I mean seven years in is still early. How were you guys financially?
Speaker 7: So we we had a we had a little we had a little little reserves, Smitch, but you know we had to eventually we had to get a loan.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: That got us through it. And then during the pandemic, I learned the stock market. So it was actually a blessing because you know, everything was shut down. I had nothing else to do, and at the time during the pandemic, it was actually the best time to invest, yep. So that actually helped us out a lot, you know, investing in the stock market. I would literally like study every day. Yeah, I'd study every day. And so we we we we did okay with that. That that got us through.
Speaker 4: That was helping us.
Speaker 7: And then out here in Atlanta, they opened that kind of early. So like when did they shut us down in March and the beginning of March, so by like the middle of May, we start.
Speaker 6: We started. We started class.
Speaker 4: Again outside outside because the studios that we were renting were completely closed and the schools where we were working, everything was completely closed, as you know. So we started classes every Saturday nine am, and God was on our side. It didn't rain one Saturday that entire the highest summer from May till September. It didn't rain one time at our time Monday and every Saturday. So we were pushing it. So we had classes outside that helped us out. I also started to dive more into I suffered from fibruarys before having children, and I healed myself naturally, and I was helping women a little bit, but I started to dive into that even more. So I was doing lives once a week, and so I started to coach women for money. And then I was also selling my ebook. So we just started to like we've just.
Speaker 2: I know, I bought one.
Speaker 3: I said, you know, I suffered from from I suffered from five.
Speaker 4: So we started to dive into that more. And that's also another passion of mine, so that, you know, you just start to to push. I also started to in terms of mentality, Sean's a little better than me.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, this is it, this is it. Life is over, you know, like it's over. And so I had to get out of that because I was Sean someone we know passed away. It started to get more real, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And I think I think that was the biggest part for me. So, you know, we you know, we lost a lot of money. We weren't making money obviously because we're in the fitness business. We were selling more ropes. And then okay, so I'm all over there.
Speaker 6: Let me go back.
Speaker 7: First of all, I gotta I gotta shout out our double Dutch community. So like we have so during for we have memberships, so we have lifetime members, we have yearly memberships, we have monthly membership. Our lifetime members stuck it out. They came to class every week. They were supporting us, they were bringing people to class. So they were really really helping us. So I just want to I just want to. I want to say that, yes, I want I want to thank them for that, because our community is growing and it's super supportive because Michelle and I we give one hundred percent of us right to this business, to this brand, and they feel it and they know it, you know.
Speaker 6: So it's all love, you know, because.
Speaker 4: Our classes did very well outside during the pandemic, which was like oh okay.
Speaker 1: It was probably it sounds like the It sounds like dang. I wish I had been in Atlanta to weather that's out because what I mean, it probably just helps you meet the endorphins alone, but also just is there anything more joyful right than double Dutch to be doing outdoors during a pandemic.
Speaker 4: It's like, for that moment, everything was okay and that time being, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And then second to that, I think most importantly like, oh, like I was saying before, so we were losing a lot, but what was really important to be, like I said before, was.
Speaker 6: Our health right.
Speaker 7: So you know, I'm worried about my mother in New York, my sister, like my brother, all of them have pre existing ILK condition. And so I started a Zoom Fitness class online and it was really just family and friends because in my mind, I'm getting emotional hold let me, let me calm down. In my mind, I had to make sure everyone was okay. So for me, I was like, all right, every day, we're gonna work out, we're gonna eat right, we're gonna juice, we're gonna you know, we're gonna do whatever we have to do to get through this pandemic, you know.
Speaker 4: So and then Sean and I will work it out like crazy. Because at first you're like, oh, first, sure, upset, it's so many emotions happened. So first upset that everything is shut down. Then you're like, okay, well I have to be home. Let me take advantage of being home, right, And so I was doing what to a day workout? Yes, we were having the kids when it was my turn to workout, you know, thank god for YouTube. Put the kids on YouTube to work out downstairs. Then we will work out outside. I was getting a little fit, and then I mean more fit. Then it's like, wait a minute, we really tried. Wait are we really tripped? Wait this is not going to end like in a month? Wait two months.
Speaker 2: So now I don't want to work.
Speaker 4: Out no more. Now I'm suppressed. Now I'm eating like a crazy person. I don't know. The motivation went away. And then we started to hear about people dying and it's like, my mom, I just I just felt down.
Speaker 6: It was just one after the other.
Speaker 4: It was just one after the other. It was like, oh my god, this is is this the end of the world? Wait a minute, is this how happened?
Speaker 3: Like you know, like like you know, how your grandma said, it's the last lace.
Speaker 2: It's always it's.
Speaker 3: Always the last days. When they get old, You're like, well, why why I couldn't do the last days when you were five?
Speaker 2: You're talking about the last days now.
Speaker 3: But like, if we if we dial back a little bit came I mean, for those who are not familiar with double double dutch aerobics, like what how?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: What made you say this is what I want to do?
Speaker 3: Like, because it's such a unique business, I would love to know some of the origin story.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I went to acting school. I did musical theater, so I you know, nine of music theater people we do waitressing and bartending, and we teach. I was a spin teacher, so I was teaching everything in the world. I told everything you could imagine. I can't even swim, but I was teaching water robins. So during that time, Sean was my boyfriend at the time, and I've been jumping double since I was four, so I always told him I was good, but everybody from New York says they're good, so he thought I was good, like regular good, you know. And so I also was a world champion, so I did street style jumping and competitor style jumping. So we were at an event for the YMCA where I was teaching spin class. So I was teaching five thirty am spin class. Sean only came to one of my class, but that's a different story anyway, So we so you hear numbers. He saw me teaching and jumping, and he was like, oh, I knew you were good, but I didn't know you were like that good. And so when I told him this idea, he was like, oh, you have to start next week, like you have to start, and so I said okay, and then I started the next week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we literally started the next week.
Speaker 1: And what were you doing at the time, oh, Sean? Yeah, what was Sean doing while he was telling you to start a business?
Speaker 7: Well, I owned a film company, so I was a videographer and editor. So my best friend and I we started making movies when we were like eighteen and nineteen. We would do like like one hour shorts and you know, we you.
Speaker 6: Know, we just for years we were doing it.
Speaker 7: And so I went from filming movies into like film doing like corporate events and weddings.
Speaker 6: And things of that nature.
Speaker 7: And then I moved from that and I started a teleprompter company. So I was prompting. I was doing like television shows, and I worked with like Obama, Beyonce likes let me tell you, let me tell you now, So I mean I did it.
Speaker 6: I did it for ten years.
Speaker 7: So I worked with literally anybody you can think of, I probably worked with them.
Speaker 6: And so I was doing that for a while. And then, like you know, I've always been like.
Speaker 7: An entrepreneur that was young, you know, my my family and now we opened a record store when I was twenty years old. You know, we had a record label. It was the nineties, you know, we had a record label. We managed groups. I started promoting parties when I was eighteen.
Speaker 4: And actually how I met Sean was he was I was bartending and he made a movie called this Thing called Love and I was like, oh, they made a movie by themselves.
Speaker 6: That's dope.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to get me to buy it. But I don't buy stuff at work because I'm kind of productive.
Speaker 1: You came in with like the box of DVDs to sell your room.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 7: So my best friend at the time, I worked for the Border Bed briefly, and my best friend, my best friend and I we literally quit our jobs. We made this movie, put the did the DVDs, we went out, we went out in the streets and we were selling them. And we did very well out in the streets, out in those streets. And so my friend invited me to this event she was having. She was like, you know, Sean, come on out, you know you can promote your movie. And I was like, back, I'm coming. So when I got there, my best friend and I we both had on the same shirts.
Speaker 4: And I saw grown people with the same shirt, Like, what's in the same shirt for I was like, it looks a little crazy, you know what I'm saying. So I wanted to read his shirt, so I asked him to come over and read his shirt. He doesn't drink, so I wasn't selling him a drink, right, So he he said I could have the movie only if I promised to give my honest review. And so, being a theater major at the time and I was in circling the square, I thought I have to watch it, and I thought it was so good, and they made it with three hundred dollars, so I was thoroughly impressed. And then I called to tell him my review of the movie and then.
Speaker 7: Every day literally been talking every single day.
Speaker 2: So how long how many years ago is that?
Speaker 6: That was twelve years ago?
Speaker 2: Wow, look at him and completely tall.
Speaker 4: The Saints, but getting back in the bay. So he was my boyfriend. He was still doing. He was doing. He was an entrepreneur at the time I was teaching spend. I was bought. I was doing everything that theater people do right, and so he saw that I was good. He told me to start the class. I started the class that next week and the person who I was teaching I was teaching with different teammates off and on, but they couldn't stay consistent, which was understandable because this was my you know what I mean, this was my passion. So Sean was like, well, man, sure you have continue teach me everything. And I was like, okay, Now, Sean's one of those people like we have the studio. Now, guys who put in the lights? He done, did the what do you call those things? He put up the designs in here. He's a YouTube learner, right, so he learns things really fast. So I was able to teach him everything and then he enjoyed, Well, you can say what you enjoyed. He actually began to enjoy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, so the idea was to get the business off the ground, get it rolling, and then I would jump out like no pun intended.
Speaker 6: But what happened.
Speaker 7: What happened was I started enjoying it because it's like, so, if you ever took one of our classes, it's bigger than Double Dutch. So it's like, like I said, we build communities in here. It's like we're trying to build like little love pockets around the world. Like when you come to our class, there's no judgment, you know, it's it's high energy, it's all of and that's what people get, you know. So I started enjoying that because that's like, that's my ultimate goal in life, you know, Like I know it sounds corny, but to change the world through love, I know it's corny.
Speaker 6: But I get a chance to do that here.
Speaker 7: And then couple with the fact that I get to be with my wife twenty four hours a day he likes me, which is done Like that doesn't work for a lot of people, I guess, but that's that's really the biggest thing Michelle and I have in common is that we like to be around each other all the time, like we like to be around each other all the time, and this gives us the opportunity to do that. Because when I was younger, you know, I always knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur, but I didn't. I didn't want to work hard enough to where I didn't have enough time for my family, because it's for me, it's family first always, because that's what makes me the most happiest.
Speaker 6: So this this gave but this gave me the opportunity.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh wow, we could like be together and build and rock out and you know, like show the world with love is like and you know, like this is this is And then.
Speaker 4: The classes, the classes were going really well. And then after we got married in twenty thirteen, we both we didn't really have a conversation, but we both were like, Okay, well we'll be gone because we're not staying here exactly. We knew we didn't want to be in New York anymore. So our members when we decided to move, first it was La Then we decided to move to Atlanta, and so our members were like, well where are you going, and so like what are we going to do? And so that's when we created Certification and part of the reasons in certification is so successful is because Sean and I coming from different different perspectives during certification, I've been jumping my whole life, so I don't really remember what it's like not to know how to jump. And I also know how to transfer street jumpers into to teach them double dutch aerobic style double dutch, because I know where they're coming from. Seawan is coming from not learning since he was a kid, so his perspective is different in terms of how we teach those people. So combined, we're really able to relate to anybody that comes into our classroom or into certification weekend. Now, to get back to the whole pandemic, so I'm sorry we'd be gone to a million tendents, but to get back to the whole pandemic life after, yeah, I was getting I was getting a little depressed after you know the excitement of Okay, we're home, let's take advantage of that. I was getting kind of like I don't know when this is really going to be over, Like I couldn't see the ending, and so that put me in a sad place, and being Sean's wife, I hate being that, like downer because he's mister Happy, so it feels like, oh, oh, I'm being too sad for him, and he actually lost someone really close to him. So then I had guilt about being so down because he's the one that lost someone really close to him, you know what I mean. So it was like, Michelle, you got to pick yourself up to be there for yourself and for your kids and for your partner. So then I started to meditate. I did the Abundance meditation. I started to journal more. I had to like look outside of myself to get some kind of you know what I mean, some kind of hope or just out of the slump. And so what happened after the minus meditation I like to relate to minds meditation. We got we got the thing from Bill Gates.
Speaker 6: We got to do well before that. So so that was October.
Speaker 7: So before that, the summer was ending, and I was like, you know, Michelle, obviously it's you know, it's gonna get cold. We can't continue to have classes. We need a studio. The thing was, how do we get a.
Speaker 4: Studio and how does the bank account because.
Speaker 7: The way our bank account is, I don't know, I don't know if that's gonna work.
Speaker 6: But you don't, you know.
Speaker 7: It's like we always say, you don't have to know the how, you just got to know what you want. And so I went online every single day. I was online for hours, right hours, looking at places. I was like, okay, this, you know, because for us, a studio is very specific. You know, we need we need a lot, we need super high ceilings, we need, you know, the space to be a certain side. It's like it's just a whole lot because and then the floors, we can't turn on any floor, so it's just it's a whole lot.
Speaker 4: And while he's looking for the studio, mind you, this is what I learned after being with him for twelve years. We call Sean the visionary. Sometimes he sees things and I'm like, what the mother, what are you talking about? How are we gonna get a studio? What are you talking about? But I learned, being his partner, not to do that anymore because some of the things he sees has come into fruition. Even when I didn't believe.
Speaker 6: Right, just let me go, let me go. Put me in.
Speaker 4: Coach's writing in my diary like my husband is crazy, But bab I got you back like the Jackie looking at a studio. Okay, we're gonna get it. So we're gonna get it.
Speaker 7: So we actually looked at maybe two other studios before this one actually went around the corner from where we are now, and then I came to this studio that we're at now by myself. The minute I walked in, I said, Oh, this is it, and Michelle is gonna like it. Now that's very important because Michelle and I we don't agree on a lot of things.
Speaker 4: No we don't.
Speaker 6: I mean we we agree on a lot. We agree on most things, but there are there are things like a studio.
Speaker 4: And he's still a Leo, so he's stubborn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we're both Leo's so I.
Speaker 2: Know she didn't know, he said, tried it because we're both the same, right.
Speaker 7: So I walked into the studio. I was like, Oh, Michelle is gonna love it. I literally I drove home, picked up I called that s Michelle. I found a studio. I know you're gonna like it. Here's the price, this is what it is. I'm coming to get you. I got Michelle. She walked into the studio. She was like, that's it.
Speaker 6: We're both like immediately.
Speaker 4: And here's here's where faith comes in, because after doing the medicale sometimes meditations and journalis helps you see the clear picture. Like if you're still living, there's always hoping, you know what I mean. And sometime if you let things get you down, you'll start to lose that perspective. So you got to straighten yourself out. So I was starting to have faith again, you know what I mean. And so we looked at the studio. We met the landlord and this is crazy stuff. We had looked at some hood spots, you know what I'm saying, because we were just looking and they was asking for every bit of paperwork. I'm talking about what I did when I was two, you know, like just paper, paper, paper, paper, right, So we made this amazing landlord and he was like, what's your name? Did he ask for? I don't even know? Like you guys, It's like, okay, well we like you, all right, let's sign the papers.
Speaker 7: He didn't look at any financial no, no financials.
Speaker 3: Is this when you guys did that? I know you did a kickstart because I canute.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we're gonna oh, we're about to mention that. Wait a minute, old, look we.
Speaker 4: Inspire by Molly Moore, because I was like, listen a bunch of mesdag And I even asked you I had d m D and asked you were like, because I knew you stuck. You don't do nothing by the fly, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. I had study for like three months before.
Speaker 4: When you said that, I was like, Sean, we have to like, well, because Sean didn't want to do a kickstock Well.
Speaker 7: The thing was so my cousin he's a filmmaker and he does like go fund me all the time.
Speaker 6: And I thought about it, but I was like, nah, I can't do it. I don't. I don't have it in me to ask people. I can't. I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 7: And it's stuff talking about it. There's nothing wrong with me, but it's it's nothing. I'm sorry, it's nothing wrong with it. It's just that with anything in life. I always try to find a way to figure it out. Like I'm like, all right, if we don't have it, let me out a way to do it.
Speaker 6: But that was the way to do it.
Speaker 4: And this is where his wife comes in. His wife said all right, babe, okay, you got to you got to be a little more realistic, less ask our community. You know what I mean? A pandemic happened. It's not like we were irresponsible, you know what I mean? Like it's it's different just to just.
Speaker 1: To jump in really quick. It's hurt y'all. Y'all are like a conversational double dutch. And I was just like when when am I supposed to anyway?
Speaker 4: But y'all mention change?
Speaker 1: So the kickstarter, y'all did this to raise money for the business.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: So ready question I have I so I want to know about the kickstarter, but I also want to know we're y'all able to get any of the government fundings. I know there was so much drama and confusion for small business owners around the paycheck Protection Program and the Economic Disaster Relief program. Did any of that come in handy for y'all? Or was it immediately that y'all knew you had to, you know, do a kickstarter to get money your own.
Speaker 4: We filled out every of those yo, Michelle, check this out? Oh check this out? Yo? No no, no, no, not you guys, No, no, no, really, any of them and we filled out how many you? Oh my god, we didn't get none of them. So we had gotten the space and he everything worked out, the paperwork, everything was perfect, but mind you, it was just a space. So we needed we needed more to make the space double Dutch aerobics, you know what I mean. And so that's when at first Sean was saying no, and I was like, let's let's do this, and finally he said yes. And then to me he put together the best video. I thought it was fabulous, so no, it was good. So he put together a video and it made us very emotional because watching people support us when we know that everyone was having a hard time. Goodness, am I just like the but needs to said Tiffany, you Tiffany right? We right, We studied, so showing us up, we started to watch all the videos.
Speaker 6: I watched a thousand videos.
Speaker 4: How long should it be? How much you asked for? We looked at zillions of zillions of Kickstarter campaigns.
Speaker 6: Like one, what should what shouldn't be in it? You know what you.
Speaker 4: Should put in your bio? It took us. We pulled all nighters. We pulled all nighters doing it, and then we put it up and we prayed and we send it out to our We send it out to people, and it was very emotional because he didn't expect as much love as we got, and it was like, oh, people really care about us.
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean, like, oh my god, I mean even the people who never met us before ever in light right, they were donating to our kickstarter and I was just it really was emotional.
Speaker 4: It really was emotional at that moment.
Speaker 1: Especially it sounds like Sean, you had a little bit of trouble getting over having to ask for help in the first place.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just I relate to that in a big way. And I think it's that moment when you you're you're just afraid that it might it might not happen, and it's it's it must be humbling when you finally get that, when you see that you will get it in return, you know what you've been giving for so long.
Speaker 2: So what was it?
Speaker 3: What was the outcome did you guys make I mean, I know you made it, but like much more than you asked for?
Speaker 4: What was we doubles?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you initially we asked for ten and then what happened twenty? Yeah, we got twenty I think it was twenty one thousand over twenty one twenty one.
Speaker 1: Four hundred dollars. I'm on the page right now.
Speaker 4: From two hundred and eighty five.
Speaker 1: If two and eighty five beckers. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: That was so much.
Speaker 1: So that gave you the money that you needed to put up the big mirror, get the ropes like all this stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, and.
Speaker 1: The mirrors are not those mirrors are not cheap.
Speaker 4: I was looking for one.
Speaker 1: I was looking just for like a tiny one for my little peloton, you know, nook, and uh yeah, it was thousands of dollars.
Speaker 4: And yes, And what's so fun is so we opened in September and we weren't gonna wait, so we did the studio because hello, the pandemic still knocked us out right, So we started with the studio white, and we used to say, so this is where the mirror is gonna be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we would tell we would tell us face the imaginary mirror.
Speaker 4: And so what's so fun is that they got to watch us grow from like a white studio to what the studio is now. And it's still and it's still growing, like we just got our nice little bitch. So it's so cute, y'all. You know, the studio was painting. Now we got the words up, we got signs, we got our desks, you know what I mean. So it's fun because when they come and they're like, oh, yes, oh you got that. So they get to actually watch us and just the process.
Speaker 7: Just to watch, like you know, new people come in and they're blown away by the studio. They really love the studio because outside of teaching our classes, we rent out our studio.
Speaker 6: That's smart to other people. They love this studio.
Speaker 7: They love it and so and that and that, and that's important to us because I felt like we had a responsibility. You know, you guys gave us twenty one thousand dollars. No, this is going to be the best studio in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, because.
Speaker 4: People trusted you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, let me ask this, what is the what is your like ten twenty year plan, like what you know, what's your big bull dream for Double Dutcho.
Speaker 2: But what can you see it becoming?
Speaker 7: Well, so there are a couple of things, right, we definitely want other studios in other cities. So we already have the cities in mind that we that we want, you know, Double Cherobics, like you know, Chicago and DC. And then also to to grow out, like to to certify more people across the country.
Speaker 4: So that Double Dutch robis is accessible in every state. So it's not just you don't have to travel to get to us, right or to get to a Double Dutch arobics class. It's like as available as spin classes or you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, so just really create like as far as like certification too. I just wanted to add that Double Dutch aerobics is a formatic class, right, so it's kind of like uh billgrim yoga with the twenty six twenty six postures.
Speaker 6: So there's like eleven steps to our program.
Speaker 7: Yes, that we do every single day, every single class, and so that's what we teach in our certification. And so basically, like Michelle said, if you're in DC, the class is going to be exactly like the class in New York or Atlanta or Detroit, you know some of the places where we want Double 't Aerobics to be. And so that's the goal to to certify more people.
Speaker 4: And it's funny, you know, this whole subject was like how did we survivedurund our pandemic and we're still recovering from the pandemic. Right, so where, But it feels like the other side is is we're on the you know, we're getting over the hump, you know what I mean. And now it's like when I think about when I was thinking, oh my god, this is over, I think the thing that got us through is that we kept hope and that we kept moving. So now on the other side, I feel like we're going to be even bigger than we were because we have a space now that gives us access to do more than we were doing in the beginning of twenty twenty. And it's like that was our biggest year, but now through the sadness and through all the you know, the knockout that happened, we're gonna be bigger. On the other side of it was we kept pushing through.
Speaker 7: And then also just simply getting through a pandemic being a fitness brand makes you a whole lot stronger, right, so everything else seems like a breeze.
Speaker 6: I mean, you got through a pandemic.
Speaker 7: And then you know, at the top of the year, Michelle gets a commercial, right, oh I did.
Speaker 4: Then this meditation again, so he gets matter because I'd be like I told you to bringing magic right.
Speaker 3: Where where can we find this meditation, It's like they know what's the cra prayer to get you a run?
Speaker 4: So zpop Chopra's abundance meditation comes at you sow. The first time we did it, we got a random call. First, Seawan said, no, we're supposed to a favor for We're supposed to a favor for somebody. He was like, mich, I don't know if we could film it yet. Right, we're supposed to film some audition video. We was like, okay, we'll film it. We filmed. We didn't know what it was for.
Speaker 6: We had no idea.
Speaker 4: What idea? Then they're like, you're chosen, wait, chosen for? What what do you mean what?
Speaker 6: They just like, we didn't, we didn't know what it was for.
Speaker 4: Then they were like, we gotta fly you to New York. I said'm not bringing these to here to New York. I'm tired. We're not going to So then they said, okay, well we'll come to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, what and you still don't know who's coming?
Speaker 4: And we still don't know.
Speaker 6: Is the question? Sorry?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we didn't know who coming.
Speaker 3: So when you said we're not going to New York, they still didn't tell you who was coming.
Speaker 2: No, like what it was for.
Speaker 4: Okay, wow, because we had to we have we have a fort well he was three at the time for three year old and uh.
Speaker 7: You see like that were production if you if when you when you're auditioned it for like television shows and movies, you never really know like the real title of the movie because they probably don't even yet.
Speaker 6: But so yeah, that's that, that's what was happening.
Speaker 4: That's what was happen.
Speaker 6: You didn't know what we were auditioning.
Speaker 4: What we were auditioning for, and so they said, we'll come to you. So it was okay, well, we gotta deal. And then we didn't find out who it was a couple of days before the shoot. And so what happened was called it was called meal time conversations. Uh. Bill Gates was interviewing families to see how they were over meal time. So we ended up having a meal with my parents. They filmed it in their house and then they just told our story of the pandemic and they paid us, which helped, right, And it was so random.
Speaker 2: It was with you had like virtual dinner with Bill Gates.
Speaker 4: No, No, we filmed, they filmed and it was for their their foundation, like it was they did. It was really interesting the families around the world.
Speaker 7: So we represented the United States, we represented wow here uh huh. And so they had Yeah, they have people, you know, from families from other countries, and everybody told their story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, from the pandemic, from the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yes, is this y'all the Walker and Clark families.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know I'm here on the Googles just in the background, getting on the links ready, Well, just to round out the conversation, I wanted to just from my you know, listening to y'all story, it's so inspirational and I think so universal. You know, not everybody owns a double Dutch studio. It sound like y'all are the only ones, but everybody, you know, if you're still standing today, you had to make it through the pandemic in some way or fashion. And the one thing that I've been like hearing in y'all story is how many different streams of income y'all have. Y'all have managed to squeeze out of this business, which I think is so smart and probably a huge reason why you've been able to survive. You know, I'm counting, like, I don't know how many, at least five. It seems like you got the ropes that you're selling the classes themselves, outdoor classes, teaching certifications. It sounds like you're still on your grind when it comes to the entertainment opportunities. That's I mean, can you talk about, you know, beyond that diversification, just you know what, what reflecting besides the abundance meditation on what made y'all such a resilient business in the face of such a huge challenge.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think it was.
Speaker 7: It was even before the pandemic, we knew the potential of the business. I think that's what made us so excited in the beginning because we were like, oh, we could do this.
Speaker 6: We could Oh we.
Speaker 7: Could teach after school programs and you know, summer camps. Oh man, we could do team building events, we could do corporate events. Like we just kept going and going and there were so many possibilities. And then even during class, like after class, people will come to us with ideas, right, they're like, you know what, you guys should That happens all the time. And when you talk about like stream of revenue, right, it's like this. It's a good problem. But there's so many different avenues we can take with double Dutch aerobics.
Speaker 4: And we even started two things we also did this year. We got pregnant. I don't know how that happened, but we got pregnant maybe.
Speaker 1: Number three yeah, wow, oh my goodness, congratulations.
Speaker 4: Thank you. So we actually got uh commercial, the Apple commercial. That was another source. Now, something that we do too is so you ever see big long lines and people they're not doing anything, but it's just on their phones. So Slutty began was having a what was it. It wasn't a grand opening, it was an event. They were given out free yeah, someone sponsored her, and they were given out free burgers during the pandemic to everybody. So all you had to do was get online. The line was eight million years long, and so Sean was like, let's go and turn and so we end up turning there meeting everybody, and it's just like we realize how much joy even in just all those environments, how much joy because we can teach anyone in less than a minute, how much joy that brings everywhere. And what was cool about that is Pinky got to see us do that and then she recently referred us for the Shakeshack event and it was a success. They are meaning sometimes we see things like at grand openings that whatever people are just I guess standing just gathered is also good to have because it allows people to a communicate while they're standing. So people are they start talking, right, we start it's just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so yeah, I mean and so yeah, just just going back to basically, we knew before the potential businessiness had yes, and so when it was time to activate it, right, you know, I eat the pandemic, we were like, all right, so now we could do this.
Speaker 6: Oh we can't we can't teach out.
Speaker 7: I mean, we can't teach at an event, but we could sell ropes because people at home, you know, we could sell I mean the ropes were flying off the shelf.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know. So it was like, all right, let me learn the stock market.
Speaker 7: Like we just we just I don't know, we just knew what we can do, and we just, like I said, we just activated it.
Speaker 6: That's you know, that's what we did.
Speaker 4: And then also something that Sean and I do, we're constantly looking for inspiration, Like even Tiffany, I always watch your lives and you're you're you're so inspirational or just how even like I was just telling my mother how you said you had to go back home and you were in your middle middle school room and you were like, this is not you know what I mean, I have more money when I was in middle school. Meaning even in a down time. It's just like what I realized with people who are successful is it's not the environment or it's not what happens to them, it's who they are. Right So even through going through that, you found your way out of it and to make success. And if you hear, we constantly watch people's success stories because the one thing that's always true is that they're successful. Right So they may have a time of being down, but it's like that can't define you. You have to still It's like a winner always wins.
Speaker 6: I do know you said it. So it's it's the person.
Speaker 7: It's like if you took all the Bill Gates money today, he would make a billion dollars again next month, yes, because he just he can do it. Same thing with TIV. You know, if if we if we took all your money today right right right now, don't make it.
Speaker 4: Don't make her.
Speaker 7: Today you you now have the tools to get it right back to you. It's yeah, Michelle and I we talk about that. We talk about this all the time. Actually, it's you, it's the person.
Speaker 4: And it's the mortality, right. So that's why I was biggest. My biggest thing is it's not only the meditation, but it's making sure that while bad things happen, I still have to be up, you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 7: You can't you can't control the events that happened in your life.
Speaker 4: You can and control the way you.
Speaker 6: Deal with it. And so that's that's the biggest part of it. That's that's what you're saying.
Speaker 4: It's being resourceful so that we can The reason why we can make double ut your role bits successful is because our goal is to become resourceful, you know what I mean. The reason the reason you can make budgeting so you know what I mean, the budgetista, is because you are a resourceful person. And so once you are resourceful, you can turn almost anything you love into success. You understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I always think that, Like, like the weekend before last night, told my sister come drive with me through some of these fancy neighborhoods where every house is a million dollars plus, I said, because within five years I'll be in one of these. Yeah, and you know, I mean like I could be in one now, but I don't want a mortgage. I'm talking about in it like here's the money boom. It's nothing, you know. And so because one of the things I learned, and this is just for anyone listening, is that it's like it's this this thing that almost every like African parent tells their kid when you bring home a B and you tell them that somebody else in class got an A.
Speaker 2: He said, Ah, so does she have two heads?
Speaker 3: Meaning like, if a's were being given, why don't you have one? The only explanation that you could have for not getting an A when someone else is able to get a is that person must have two heads, therefore two brains.
Speaker 2: Therefore, okay, she got you on that.
Speaker 3: But so I drive, I drive through those neighborhoods because I am resetting my expectation of like, yo, there's not one house here, two house. There's like fifty houses in just this one neighborhood, and then another fifty another neighborhood another, meaning yo, there are people who make enough to make this life happen? What about you? What's so special about them? What is so special? And this is nothing exactly and it's not a little bit of people were talking about just this one neighborhood here, and then you go another town over, and then another town in another state and another There are so many people that are successful.
Speaker 2: Why not you do they have two heads? No? No, they figured it out. Now you got to do that to your children. They'd be like, Sean Junior is gonna be like, I gotta b a b.
Speaker 3: Would anybody get a do that have two head?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 3: It's a very African thing to say, But I say that to say that basically that you are human. Therefore what is accessible to one human is there is great potential for it to also be accessible to you. And we all understand that there are limitations and racism and and and sexism, and we know that, but you know, we also know that people find a way. And if one person has found a way, that is that is cause for for celebration because that means the way has been found.
Speaker 2: Ye you know you too can have access to that.
Speaker 3: So once you start to understand that, then there's nothing I mean, we're not talking about. You go into the moon for the first time. Those people have to figure it out from scratch. You know, we're not talking about that like when people say, oh, I don't know how to invest. I'm like, you know, people don't figured it out and wrote books and do YouTube videos about.
Speaker 4: It YouTube you know right now?
Speaker 2: Yes, like you know, you know, people have successful businesses.
Speaker 3: You know, people have podcasts at work and you know, so there are folks that have figured it out. And so I'm so glad that you came on today because it's I think it's important for our audience to hear that there are so many ways to express success in business. I mean, I'm sure people thought a business based upon double Dutch, how's that gonna work? And now you're over here laying it it can work, you know, like a business based upon budgeting what and now here we are And so like, I hope those of you who are you know, BA fan that's listening you get to see that it is possible to grow a business from just about any idea. It's possible to do so while still having this amazing family. You hear the joy they have speaking with each other and connecting and staying connected. It is possible to do so with children, because how old is your oldest baby?
Speaker 4: Four?
Speaker 2: Five four child? Cheez?
Speaker 3: You know, like cause I know people are like, well, I got a baby, Okay, you know it is possible to do those things.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say it's easy, because I know it's not easy. No, you know, we're talking about possible. I'm talking about possible, but not easy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So we just want to thank you for, like you know, illustrating like even the hard like you still here to join you guys's voice.
Speaker 2: I love that that, Like you know, these lessons taught you.
Speaker 3: Some valuable lessons that you learned to be resourceful, just like as you said, Michelle, and you learned that like to pivot.
Speaker 2: I think that was a huge lesson learned here.
Speaker 3: And you learn to also that if you really believe in your idea, you'll find a way and it doesn't mean that you might not take a step back.
Speaker 2: And also too, you learn to ask for help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so all those things combined, you know, and consistency and not giving up, you know, resulting where you are now and now that we're coming out on the other side, it's only bigger, bigger and better for y'all.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited for.
Speaker 4: Y'all, and that's consistency. I just want to stay warm. Thing just as a reminder, is there when we first started, we had empty classes and Sean would look at me and be like, because I'd be like, maybe it's not going.
Speaker 6: To work, and I would be like, isn't this amazing? Isn't this an amazing idea? This is gonna work?
Speaker 7: Because the thing is, I realized that it's not because we didn't have a good idea. It's just we're not promoting it right, So we just have to fix it.
Speaker 3: I was going to call that illustrating your Oprah. Yeah, but for real, when I used to like, is it.
Speaker 4: A good idea?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I was like, no, no, this is a good idea. If someone doesn't want to pay me, I have not illustrated my Oprah. Meaning if Oprah, if we've got a call right now and Oprah said I will do a one on one with y'all, but I need ten thousand dollars. You have ten ten hours to come up with it. We will come up with that money so fast because we're like child.
Speaker 2: Che is Oprah.
Speaker 3: Because Oprah's value is so clear that we will find the funds. And so if someone's not willing to pay me just yet, I have not illustrated my value, and definitely that they will find the funds because now I've illustrated my oprah. So when I tell somebody, oh no, no, no, my keynote is forty thousand, they find the funds, you know.
Speaker 2: And so I think that.
Speaker 3: Too, because it's very easy to say, well, my idea is not good or it's not the right market or time. You know, it's likely you just have not illustrated your open and that's.
Speaker 6: Okay, yes it is, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Just got to figure it out.
Speaker 3: How do you make it that your value is so clear that people will find the fund just to have you.
Speaker 6: In the room, because it took took it took them a little while to respect us.
Speaker 4: I got cursed out charging people for double Dutch. This man cursed me out. He wanted us to come out to his event. Oh he cursed me out. What is that I'm taking advantage? I said, certain, you can have ropes there. I didn't say you couldn't have rope if you want me to physically show up and show my expertise. If you want me and my husband to show up for a specific time and date and to literally do what we do, you have to pay us. I didn't exclude you from Double You want us there because you saw what we do.
Speaker 7: And I was Michelle was a little bothered by him, but but I was upset that she was upset.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, why why are you letting this stranger get you so upset? We know, we know our worst, our worst, we know our value, and.
Speaker 4: That's It's like you think Kevin Hard to come and tell jokes, but jokes at the party stops. You want Kevin Hart to come and tell you jokes.
Speaker 6: But the thing is, though, like, like, I get it.
Speaker 7: I get why because you know, Double Dutch has been free for one hundred years.
Speaker 6: You know, people you.
Speaker 7: Know stopped the telephone truck, got the wires, you know, and jumped outside to the till the street lights came on.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 4: But I'm a world champion.
Speaker 7: But the thing is, when Michelle and I come to your event, if there's a million people at your event, a million people will be jumping.
Speaker 6: Which is different, you know.
Speaker 7: So it's like we because we could teach anybody how to jump, right so that's the thing. So like, if you know, if you want our expertise, then you have to pay us. But it's it was really simple for me. I couldn't even understand why because.
Speaker 3: It's hard because you know, you feel you don't want to feel like, wow, am I what if that say about me?
Speaker 2: You know, we tend to internal life with people. But it's not.
Speaker 3: It just means I'm okay now because I you know, it took me a while too, because Mitchelle I would have cried like.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, am I right?
Speaker 3: Because mean, if they could google budgeting, I said, well then why don't they like even now what? It took me a whild girl, It's like year twelve for me. I not bothered.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: When someone hits me back and says that's too expensive, I'm like, oh, okay, okay for you because I just got paid that last week. But okay, and that's okay. And here's the thing. I give a lot away for free.
Speaker 2: You could.
Speaker 3: I do lives, I have social posts, we've got emails, We've got you can. You can partake in all the free because I do believe in, you know, providing service to my community.
Speaker 2: But no if you're wanting, you know.
Speaker 3: A specific service that I charged for, that's what the cost. And if you don't have the budget, and that's okay, it just me you have to find somebody that fits within that budget. Because it's so funny when you know, when you first start, nobody wants to you know, like nobody wants to take you on the moment you blow up.
Speaker 2: Now you want to you want to pay me.
Speaker 3: The first starting budget, like you you called me for a reason, right, you know, you hit me up because you saw the New York Times best SELLI did you think that was that?
Speaker 2: Did you think that was gonna come for nothing?
Speaker 3: So yeah, but we can talk for everybody, Mandy, any any final things you want to see with our Yes, this.
Speaker 1: Is just thank you. Yeah, thirty minutes, say go, I bought the ropes. I can't wait, and I'm gonna go. I didn't even not I didn't even know double dutch was a thing you could become a world champion and so yeah, it's a sport. I love that. Yeah. So thank y'all, thank you, thank you so much for sharing your story and sharing your energy and your your truth because y'all were honest about the ups and downs, and we appreciate that. I think our I hope our audience loves this conversation as much as as much as I did.
Speaker 6: I thank you, oh, thank you people.
Speaker 1: Find y'all ware. Now, where's the best place to find everything people need to know about Double Dutch?
Speaker 4: Find on Instagram, Double Dutch Aerobics, Facebook, Double Dutch Aerobics. If you forget everything, you can google Double Dutch Aerobics and find us everywhere.
Speaker 1: I got that SEO game on point. Very good to know. Yes, well, thank y'all so so much. We can't wait to hear more from Double Dutch Aerobics. Thank y'all, Sean and Michelle for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thank you really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you amazing. I feel so warm and fuzzy. Happy holidays. BA fan, thank you for joining us as we looked back at some of our favorite Brown Ambition conversations from the past year. Check back in with as soon as we take on a brand new year and bring you everything you need to know so you can take control of your financial and professional future on your own terms.