Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Out to California, where that magnitude seven point zero earthquake occurred off the coast of the northern part of the state. It triggered a tsunami warning that was later lifted. That quake felt from San Jose to Grant's Pass, Oregon, and as far inland as Sacramento, with a magnitude four point two aftershock detected later that earthquake occurring along an active plate boundary, but experts say it was not predicted by recent smaller earthquakes in the area. We got with us Bloomberg News Deputy team leader for Power and Natural Disasters Mark Cheddiek, who joins us from the San Francisco Bay Area. Mark, good to have you with us this afternoon. Just give us your experience a little over an hour ago if you felt this.
Speaker 1: Actually I did not feel the shaking. However, I did get an alert on my phone that an earthquake was imminent, and then I got a subsequent alert that lots of us around the Bay area got about a tsunami warning, basically telling everybody to seek higher ground. I think there are reports of limited shaking around the San Francisco Bay area, and the tsunami warning obviously forced some evacuations, including our offices along the pier.
Speaker 3: Anecdotally, what are you hearing from either family, friends, or even colleagues as far as their experiences so.
Speaker 1: Far, Well, we're hearing things like daycare centers that are near the coastline closing early, the San Francisco Zoo shut and evacuated, the Bay Area, Rapid Transit train service shut service between San Francisco and the East Bay. We are getting some reports from closer to the earthquake. One of our reporters spoke to the city manager of Eureka and they are getting some limited reports of dan image. But it's still early, and a lot of times one of these big earthquakes events events occur, it takes a little while to sort of figure out kind of what kind of damage has happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's let's let's talk about that. It's still early. I know the Bloomberg News team is out there there gathering data, but are we hearing any reports of significant damages here at any point in the area. And again, this occurred off the coast, so the epicenter was by no means on land that's right.
Speaker 1: The epicenter was about sixty two miles off the coastline. We are not at this point getting any reports of severe damage. That mean that doesn't necessarily mean that hasn't occurred, but at this point we're not getting those reports. The tsunami that earthquake did strike off the coastline of a fairly sort of remote, not a densely populated part of the state. So so it's you know, it's also possible that we're just not getting a lot of reports back because it's just not an area where we have a lot of resources. But we'll see as the day continues. So far, so good on that account.
Speaker 3: Though. It's interesting too because a seven point of a quake is actually larger than the one that shook San Francisco on October seventeenth, nineteen eighty nine, and that is when a magnitude six point nine earthquake knocked out all powered and killed sixty three people throughout the region. But especially since this was off the coast, maybe a little bit different with the tectonic plates and how they were moving for this situation and why it would not potentially be as a devastating as what it would have been in history. So what's next in these types of situations since you're familiar being out there and what typically happens here, well.
Speaker 1: Typically we start getting reports from local officials about the kind of damage that's occurred. It may take a few hours before those reports start coming in.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing is people, you know, people who are in harm's way are trying, you know, trying to make sure their friends and family are see and it's a little bit of a you know, chaotic period initially, but after that period passes, we start to get a better sense of like, you know, what's the magnitude of all of this, so to speak. The good news is they did lift the tsunami warning because that was that was something that we were quite concerned about here in the Sancisco Bay area. We have a lot of low lying areas that are vulnerable to the tsunami. So, you know, so far, so good. We will see as reports come in throughout the day, but hopefully, hopefully we kind of dodged a bullet here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're certainly grateful that you're okay and that the folks out there are okay, Mark, and definitely appreciate you joining us. That's Bloomberg News Deputy team leader for Power and Natural Disasters Mark Chediak, joining us from the San Francisco Bay Area