Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media, and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 3: We have an amazing show for everybody today, Bro Show, Dad Show.
Speaker 1: Actually, can we call it Dad Show?
Speaker 3: All right? I was telling Ryan before how this guy had four of them. I have no idea including twins. I was like, comforting and taking care of one screaming child is enough, but to have two of them there at the same time, they're on different crying schedules and feeding schedules, I think I would actually lose my entire minds.
Speaker 1: So I think I respect. I have so much more respect for you.
Speaker 4: I was thinking, I can't wait to go toe to toe with Saga because he's going to be so depleted.
Speaker 1: Because I said.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, like playing in the NBA when one team has played like four games.
Speaker 1: Well, especially that last night we had a streamer on our hands, I'm just running circles around him. There, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Said yesterday, I said, any bad take that I have for the next year, you can just blame it on sleep deprivation and me being I tweeted out my health statistics yesterday.
Speaker 1: A lot of people enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: By the way, it's all worth it. I don't care, but it is funny. All right, So let's go ahead and see what we have in the show today.
Speaker 1: Let me the show bar. All right, this is the tough part of the show. Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about some of the overnight developments there. The big top line news is President Donald Trump mobilizing several hundred United States Marines active duty service members, sending him to Los Angeles for some sort of law enforcement support mission. Still a lot of questions surrounding that. We're going to show you some of the video and other things. Clashes breaking out between lapd between protesters, last night there was some looting as well, so we'll show everybody some of the images. We're going to talk about a little bit polling. I teased that yesterday there's been some CBS News widespread polling about Donald Trump and immigration. This is a big segment of our discussion yesterday with Crystal over the popularity of Trump's program and also just broadly why a lot of this fight is being picked. Right now, we're gonna talk about Palantineer. This is a story that I missed, but Ryan, you're really going to be driving this one. This is Laura Lumer is getting involved. Tim Dillon is alleging that there's widespread buying off of influencers regarding Palenteer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really is the George carl I think he's the George Carlin of our generation.
Speaker 3: I said that yesterday China, We're going to give everybody, and I know this is flying under the radar, but it's tremendously important. United States and China negotiators met in London yesterday just for the second round of trade talks. Everybody's basically on pins and needles on what the hell is going to happen here? The tariffs were off while I was gone. Thank you, President Trump for removing the crisis that you caused.
Speaker 1: Many car seat.
Speaker 3: Owners, however, have not yet shocker right, you will be shocked to learn that car seat prices, stroller prices, and all that did not go down even though the tariffs went on.
Speaker 4: We're going to read, sure it's a main stroller manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine percent of car seats are made in China. You know that. Ninety nine safety?
Speaker 3: And also you know another thing I learned recently is you know, these car seats don't even last that long.
Speaker 1: You can't donate them, right, like because and it's like maybe I'm maybe cartel.
Speaker 3: I think this is too safetiest, but like, you can't donate a car seat. I mean, if you're in a car wreck, that's one thing, But if you have a perfectly good car seat, it really can't give it to somebody, you know.
Speaker 1: I think that's Nuts's corret. Sorry, I think it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I'm gonna have parenting Twitter and all those people coming after me.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. I just I think it's wrong with you.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, I'm glad they do all right. The only reason not to want to use car seat is because they shit all over them.
Speaker 1: But that's a whole other story.
Speaker 3: All Right, you can tell the things that are happening in my life theo Von This is the segment.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately we're not able to get to you.
Speaker 3: Yesterday we had our Gaza Flotilla guest, and of course we wanted to prioritize that and talk about that. So we're there's gonna be a couple of clips that we want to talk about from theovon and jade Van's appearance that came over the weekend, some interesting moments in particular the d n C. I'm really excited for Ryan to break some of this down for me because the DNC is just I mean, I know it's fun to dunk on them, but it's pathetic at this point. You know, they've got this new YouTube show and we'll show you how many views it Got's about how many views we get every you know, five minutes or so around here total. But you know what's even more pathetic is their leadership. Is the guide now who's basically quiet quitting his job, the new DNC chair. We're going to talk about talk. I missed Taco Trump. I just have to appine on that at some point. And then Ryan, You've got some great got some great recording on Israel, which I'm very.
Speaker 1: Excited for updates from the region.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but of course we've got to start the show with Justin Baldoni's.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm usually pretty into pop culture, but I really could not tell you because I feel like things switched. Every one, like people on the internet was on Blake Lively side, and then there was like a countersuit with voice memos and then Justin bald east side.
Speaker 1: I know, but I don't know enough about the case. The case. We talk about it. Whatever, you guys stick around. I got to be honest.
Speaker 3: My Blake Lively stock was very high coming out of Gossip Girl, but since then, I'm like, I'm sorry, Like, you know, we haven't seen anything good her. Her performance in the town is like legendarily bad. Her Boston act, it was horrible. I'm like, just stick to Serena, okay, and you know, you guys have your mint mobile money now, so just shut up b Taylor Swift's friend and.
Speaker 1: Leave us long. No Taylor Swift dumpter? Did she really I have a lot to tell you that God?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, all right, Well, there we go before we get to any of the news, of course, So we do have our free monthly trial going on right now.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: You can go to breakingpoints dot com and sign up for a one month free trial at BP free. That is the promo code that is available to you. It is actually going to end on Friday, So this is your last chance, just this week to be able to take advantage of that BP free at breakingpoints dot com. Ryan, I hear that you have some blackmail going on, So what's your blackmail?
Speaker 1: You're gonna read hands? We don't.
Speaker 4: We don't do ad reads here. Yeah, but and that's it's a Lucra.
Speaker 1: And we never have people appreciate that.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have left like oceans of money on the table as a result of because we believe in the monthly subscription model.
Speaker 1: But yeah, please please give us the black best.
Speaker 4: So if we do not get enough monthly subscribers here, Soccer and I are going to do blue choo, okay, blue.
Speaker 3: Choo, No manscaped okay, manscaped blue chew? What are the other ones out there? Draftking, Oh, everyone knows how I would feel about that.
Speaker 1: The DraftKings Man, make sure you can you imagine the so you can bet now? Will there be a Parley cho parlay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Blue Chew manscaped fan dual Draftking specially.
Speaker 1: If you don't want that.
Speaker 3: Travisy Yeah, sorry, Steak dot com as well. There's so it's I will listen to so many of these what else A g one? And I'm trying to think of some of the other more popular Oh better, help, better, help, You're a real man, don't worry. You can still get help.
Speaker 1: I better. It's funny because now we're giving him free promo, but everybody knows that Joe. Let's end voice them all.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm trying to think of some other failed DTC companies out there. Extraordinary news there, Ryan, I'm out of Los Angeles from President Trump. You know. It's actually a little bit crazy because literally moments before that announcement was made, Trump had actually given a statement where he had I wouldn't say it ruled out per se of sending in the Marines, but he's like, I think that we have it more under control. I have a few more details that I can say. So it's a little complicated the way this is being done. Trump has not invoked the Insurrection Act, So this is from US Northern Command. They say they have quote activated the Marine Infantry Battalion that was placed in an alert status over the weekend. Seven hundred Marines with second Battalion, seventh Marines' first Marine Division will seamlessly integrate with the title ten forces under Task Force fifty one who are protecting federal personnel and property in the Greater Los Angeles area. The activation of the Marines is intended to provide Task Force fifty one with the adequate numbers of forces to provide continuous coverage of the area in support of the lead federal agency.
Speaker 1: Task Force fifty.
Speaker 3: One provides a rapidly deployable capability to partner with civil authorities and deity entities in response to homeland defense and homeland security operations. So effectively, what they are saying is that these seven hundred active duty Marines are being placed under the same Task Force fifty one, which is basically now comprised of the twenty one hundred National Guardsmen that were mobilized by Trump previously, as well as these seven hundred Marines, basically to supplement that mission. It does not appear from what I can see in front of me is that they will be quote, they have been trained in de escalation, crowd control, and standing rules for the use of force that are similar under the National Guardsmen. Effectively, it's like using active duty soldiers as National guardsmen here in the fourth I'm not trying to downplay it. I'm just genuinely confused because this is such an extraordinary situation. I mean, I actually cannot think really of the last time that active duty US military members were actually deployed, you know, without the consent and actually without the not only the consent, but like the invitation right of the governor of a state that was already pretty extraordinary. Not happened since nineteen sixty five under LBJ, And so this time around, I mean, it is difficult to contextualize. The Marines have not yet arrived, we don't really know what they're doing. But the image nonetheless is going to be I mean shocking. It's a shocking development here from Donald especially considering I mean, we will show people video from last night, but I mean, but from by all accounts, it does not appear to have been worse than the previous two days of some of the rioting of protesting that was happening in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: It's less yeah, yeah, and maybe they're like planning their amphibious landing on Venice Beach or whatever wind up in downtown Los Angeles. Let's start with a four before we get into some of the other images.
Speaker 1: A four.
Speaker 4: This is Gavin Newsom saying that he's going to sue the federal government.
Speaker 1: That's for you know what.
Speaker 4: On the one hand, you could dismiss as you know, procedural or paperwork arguments. On the other hand, you could say that this is you know, goes to the fundamental nature of power sharing between the states and the federal government. He calls it quote an unprecedented power graph. He argues multiple things. One, he says the getting the National Guard deployed was invalid because there is no insurrection, there is no rebellion. It's just it's just a protest, and that no kind of it's not the kind of protest that the cops haven't been able to handle over many decades and over the history of the United States. And he also says that the law requires that you work with the governor and that the governor be the one that deploys the National Guard, and that's not just paperwork, because what it does is it requires the buy in of both entities. It keeps everyone together. If the government written large is defined by its monopolization of the use of force. If you now have a upily where you know, you've got National Guard, you've got some members over here who are responsible to this state actor, and then you've got another state actor that also has men and women under arms, and you're sending them into the same streets. You know, that's that's not how this is envisioned to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, as you said, with some of the images, let's go ahead and put some of these up there on the screen. I'll just kind of narrate kind of what we see here. This is just some collated footage that we see. I want everybody to keep in mind that everything you're seeing here is LAPD, who as I said yesterday, I mean, look, I think one of the distinguishing characteristics between this and BLM is that I said previously, I don't think that democratic leaders are like really justifying a lot of this going on right now. In fact, you know, LAPD, as you can all see, is like pretty ready to rock and roll from what we see right now. I mean, the justification appears to be that this would free up LAPD resources. But you can see here right now, you know, this was after I believe that there was like a declared online assembly yesterday. People are not heating Crystal's warning and they do continue to wave Mexican flags there in the streets of Los Angeles. Here we had some we had some looting and several retail establishments. Of course, people very very upset at over immigration detention, just like they were over George Floyd, which is why Apple stores and Adidas rep places.
Speaker 1: Have to be looted.
Speaker 3: But as you can see, you know, in front of you, there are several arrests and other things that have taken place that does look like police it is. This is another thing that's just so difficult to distinguish when the police start to gear up in military camo. I mean, this is something that goes all the way back to Ferguson with the militarization of a lot of American police forces. Like when you literally can't even tell and you have to look the shield as to what it is, we shouldn't, you know, overplay it either. There were a lot of peaceful protests that happened in the streets of Los Angeles. As you can see in front of you. There were marches that happened in some of the streets as well as across the United States and several different pockets around that was happening. This is getting quite a bit of attention. These were some images that were tweeted out by Governor Gavin Newsom of National guardsmen who were sleeping on the floor. This was Governor Newsom's critique here saying that Trump basically, you know, sent the National Guard in without proper planning and without proper planning or resources. It is funny, because I'm not funny for the people to the floor, that's terrible. But actually I do remember that this was a similar controversy here in Washington after the January sixth riots. If you'll remember, we were living in the Green Zone Ryan after January six here in Washington, and I distinctly remember walking by parking garages and just seeing like a thousand guys sleeping on the floor in January in a park, cold concrete in January. You know, they were definitely here for what exactly, So because of a qwanon Ryot, I feel kind of similarly about this. I mean, there's no real reason at least in my opinion, outside of optics. But we will get to the polling for a lot of this. But I mean, I think it fits with a lot of the Trump administrations straps, inviting fights over you know, basically extraordinary uses of power, and in this particular case, trying to pick a fight where he does believe he feels strongest politically. And part of the reason for that is we talked a lot about this yesterday. I'm curious what you think is that. I think it's really important to contextualize what's happening in Los Angeles. But it's also important to contextualize that probably ninety percent of the country has never been to Los Angeles, maybe even ninety five percent of the country. So when you are in Pittsburgh or Detroit, or Georgia or Charlotte, North Carolina, any of these places, you don't know anything about LA. All you're watching is the video about what's happening over there. And with images like this, regardless when you're watching CNN, Fox or anything, you're going to be seeing the Mexican flag, you're going to be seeing some of the or if you're on social media, you're going to be seeing some of the looting. You may even be seeing some of the peaceful protesting and all of that as well, but you are going to get the impression that things are really hot and on fire in the city, and that means that drawing attention to that and then the conflagration surrounding it at an level is really one that Donald Trump is inviting.
Speaker 4: And there's a bunch of discussion kind of in the center left around the question of how smart are the protests for Democrats or how smart are the protests for opposition to Trump, which ignores the fact that doesn't matter what anybody thinks, like this is not a centralized, like Soros planned thing.
Speaker 3: Well you should speak on that, because there is actually a lot of right wingers who do believe that this is like massively or by the way, I've always found that incredibly stupid, Like there's this theory in the right that every left wing protest is like organized and supported by NGO. Now, I won't deny that these people don't have email lists or whatever bust people in or any of that, but I mean, I was living here in the city during BLM. I can pretty much just guarantee you that it wasn't because of organization. I mean I think it was like again, literally people being at home, mass psychosis, just believing in this cause. Whatever I find, we've litigated that to that. My point though, is that I don't think anybody for us, my white liberal neighbors, to all go out into the streets. Oh exactly, for Bilam, they went because they were upset. I think people are upset here too. I think it's fine. You know, we live in democracy, it's right.
Speaker 4: And the different groups that get tagged as being central to these these protests happening had the same budget ten years ago, two years ago, you know, six months ago. Yet they didn't weren't able to get people out on the streets because right, sure you can get and you know, when it's like an NGO protest, everyone there is wearing the same T shirts. There's like forty five people, they all know each other, they're on the clock. Yes, yeah, so those are literal paid protesters, but nobody has the money to go beyond like a couple dozen of those kinds of people. You need an actual spark, and you need gasoline, and then you get people out onto the streets and what the Trump administration has been doing was effectively guaranteed to create this reaction and arguably designed to create this reaction because they love it, Like they absolutely adore these images that they're getting. Let's let's Trump do the thing he's really wanted to do. Send in the Marines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there is real like on the right in particular, there's still a lot of anger about the way that the BLM protests we're.
Speaker 1: Going to restorel well, I mean, you can smash it. It's bi directional.
Speaker 3: Nobody's forcing people to loot Adidas in Apple stores, Okay, and every person who does. You know, all right, you know it's not twenty twenty anymore. You don't have CNN panels talking about riot is the voice of the unheard.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, you're kind of an idiot and you're going to jail.
Speaker 3: But I will say, you know, on that front, that's this whole like tone policing around protesters.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I still think it's important.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think it's important for opinion leaders and others to learn lessons politically and for people to recognize, like, hey, this is really bad. Like well, I mean, on January sixth and all that there was at least what a.
Speaker 1: Two year or three year period were really like, yeah, you know, like that didn't turn out so well for us.
Speaker 3: It ended up being fine, I guess in the end, and people largely forgot about it. But I mean, I don't think we could deny that. In twenty twenty two. If you remember a lot of the more like Jen six adjacent Republicans who ran, they all lost, right, I mean, Doug Mastriano, David Purdue, remember a day against Raffensburger.
Speaker 1: We had Brian Kemp survive.
Speaker 3: Like it was important actually in its time to not necessarily carry Lake, you know, to be a peer as one of these people who saved degress extreme. It gave Democrats the United States Senate. And that's arguably the reason that what we have, like the inflation reductionists so many ten pulp, whether you like them or not, that is actually did have an impact.
Speaker 1: Sure it didn't end up having in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I do think like that level of people advising them to be smarter or whatever, I don't think it's a bad idea because sure maybe some Mexican flag waivers are always going to do it. But it does matter to have like a top down kind of commentariat telling people and be like this is not good, Like you are inviting your own destruction to a certain extent, and I think people like you and Crystal I have spoken up against that destruction and you're like, that's not what we want to see. So just don't give people what they want, which is generally a good ruin politics.
Speaker 4: By the way, it's it's interesting though that the security forces never get tone policed, like you never hear it, not even even on Fox.
Speaker 1: I only not on Newsmax.
Speaker 4: Hey buddy, maybe you shouldn't on camera aim your weapon at an Australian reporter and pull the trigger.
Speaker 3: I did see poor people criticize that at least at least I don't know if it's I don't watch Newsmax Confession, but it may have been Fox.
Speaker 1: I actually have no idea.
Speaker 4: Or like plain clothes, Ice spoons should stop going around masked because there was just this case in Philadelphia where a guy went into like like a barber shop or something, and or beauty shop or something and was masked and dressed like a fake Ice agent. Because ICE agents are now putting on these bandanas refusing to identify themselves, you know, zip tying people and dragging them off the street. And so this guy went in and he's like Ice and he like zip tied this woman and then took like a thousand dollars because everyone's like, oh wait, we're not allowed to get in front of ICE or else we're going to get arrested too, and nobody toned.
Speaker 1: Police is the other side.
Speaker 4: But so the point is I think this is this is what Trump wants, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for Trump.
Speaker 1: As we're going to get into it, I really don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the important things that I what I tried to highlight yesterday is like one of the reasons why I thought, at least yesterday we're doing this in real time. While I'm like, I think it isn't that positive for Trump? Is?
Speaker 1: I think, whoever this is.
Speaker 3: Just generally on these types of social issues, whoever seems crazier usually is the person who loses. And if you look at the last couple of months for the Trump administration on immigration, you had the Kilmar Abrego Garcia case, right, you had El Salvador Seacott.
Speaker 1: You did not largely have an elevator.
Speaker 3: Of stories for ic deportation raids or you know, gang criminals rape whatever, Like that's not what the main story was. But then you flip it and you're like, oh, well, now you have people waiting Mexican flax, burning waymos in the street. Now you know ad looting and all this. People think may think I'm obsessing about the looting. I'm trying to highlight for you what boomers are going to be seeing in Alabama. Like I'm trying to I want people to really know how like important these images are going to be against for anyone like marginally right wing aligned. This is spreading like wildfire across the entire Internet, and that is going to inform a lot of the way that they're going to think and behave for Republican politicians and support vice versa. By the way, if you're somebody on the left, I mean, I know there's massively viral of images. I think it's like Kirk Russell's son like speaking back to the cops, like you should be ashamed of yourself or whatever. I see it on Twitter it's guy fifty eight thousand retweets. So I mean, look, everybody's living in their own in from environment, and people should understand that. I still think we're probably in net positive territory.
Speaker 1: But there are a couple of things.
Speaker 3: The marine image is going to be a crazy one that I mean's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They have an active dute in the United States Czy Marina on the streets of Laston.
Speaker 1: That's nuts, all right. Like I believe one of the only times.
Speaker 3: In US history that active duty soldiers were mobilized for a domestic law enforcement situation was one hundred and first Airborne in nineteen fifty seven with President Eisenhower around that desegregation. Can I forget exactly, I mean, it's the governor who stood in.
Speaker 1: The schoolhouse store. I don't I don't remember.
Speaker 3: The name of it exactly, but I mean that's kind of what we're talking about in terms of its precedence. Another one here is this looming threat to arrest Gavin Newsome. So this is something Gavin floated yesterday. He was like, go ahead and arrest me. Donald Trump actually spoke on it, was asked about it yesterday, endorsed the idea.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen, Gavin.
Speaker 5: He's daring Tom Holman become an erecto should he do it.
Speaker 3: I would do it if.
Speaker 5: I was Tom.
Speaker 6: I think it's great Gavin, but I think everything he's done.
Speaker 1: A terrible job.
Speaker 6: Look, I like Gavin news and he's a nice guy, but he's grossly inconfidence. Everybody knows. All you have to do is look at the little railroad he's building. It's about a hundred times over budget. We're putting a flag fall over there under budget. I always do under a crime has he committed. I think his primarily primary crime is running for governor because he's done such a bad job. What he's done to that state is like what Biden did to this country, and that's pretty bad. It's the wrong philosophy.
Speaker 3: So that was Trump saying, basically endorsing the idea of arresting Newsome quote, I would do it if I were Tom. I think it's great. Tom Homan here, that's who he's referencing there. Actually did react to that, and so far has said that nothing news is done is the rest worthy.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and play at a five.
Speaker 7: Please didn't the reporter asked you, well, could he governor? Governor Newsom or or mayor basby arrested? I said, well, no, one's about Blahl. They crossed the line to wait a crime. Absolutely they can. So there was no discussion about wrestling Newsom, and it told you know what he's done.
Speaker 1: He failed. He failed that date.
Speaker 7: He waited two days of that city burning and people getting hurt off she was being assaulted before before he made any declaration of an awful on lawful assembly. He late to the game. President Trump isn't late to the game. Men and women advice are not late to the game. And men and women he's the men women the board joke made la safe for that day. But you're not hearing any of this. Oh, hear's a rhetoric about Ice being racist and Ice being Nazis and terrorists, and Governor Newsom feeds that.
Speaker 1: So that's what.
Speaker 3: And he gave another interview to CNN just yesterday saying that he's like he hasn't done anything yet, absolutely has not done anything yet to have a bad governor, I mean in a sense I actually want because you know, I mean, I don't think he should be arrested.
Speaker 1: I think it would be pretty insane.
Speaker 3: It kind of would be the best thing that could happen to Gavin Newsom for his wife career. I was wondering I wanted to get your reaction as to that, because I mean, obviously Newsome initially dabbled in kind of his Steve Bannon podcast and he was like Charlie Kirk right, and he was he was kind of trying to enter the bro sphere.
Speaker 1: But I would say during this crisis, like.
Speaker 3: He kind of has, you know, stepped up as a resistance style figure and anything he does as oppositional as he can to the Trump administration, I do think he could be you know, something like this could be very beneficial to him and could change his kind of future orientation as a democratic leader.
Speaker 4: And he likes to walk a tightrope, and this is the tightrope that the kind of tightrope he likes to walk because he wants to be able to be out on the edge pushing back against the Trump administration's authoritarianism. But he doesn't want us seem like he's endorsing burning a a Waymo car or looting an Apple store. But he does want to endorse the right to peaceably assemble and protest. He does want to push back against you know, Trump's across the board. We're going to find everyone and deport them, including green card holders, while not endorsing you know, criminals who are staying here. So like, I think he kind of enjoys that effort to like balance all of those different things.
Speaker 3: And as long as he is the face of like this standing up against Trump and that's where you want me, that's exactly kind of where he wants to be. I mean, this is all in the political realm, I do think, which is I mean, it's pretty nuts, like marines are on their way to Los Angeles and it is It is curious too, because I mean, by Trump's own comments, he said, he's like, yeah, I think things are calming down. And look, I understand, you know, we just play videos of looting or whatever.
Speaker 1: I would also say in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, this is like not exactly the place where looting is particularly uncommon. I don't think it should be that way, but you know it's not something like LAPD is dealing with for the very first time. So this is what we see right now in terms of the situation there.
Speaker 1: I guess the big jump.
Speaker 3: That would have to take place next, which I know it sounds crazy about with the sending of active duty troops. The big one would be in evoking of the Insurrection Act because the troops are still being sent under this Title ten authority, and the Marines are still being actually placed in the same like unit as these National guardsmans, which means they're not out on the streets like conducting law enforcement behavior. I believe of like a National guardsman can't even make an arrest unless a cop is like, hey, you should you know, detain this person. It purely is like being able to deploy tear gas and defense or whatever of federal effectively creating a perimeter with shields around the federal property.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and some of the pro January sixth people on the right are so salty about getting accused of carrying out an insurrection that now they see they everything is an insurrection. Comically, see insurrections everywhere. It's like, guys, you sack the capital to try to interfere with the transfer of power, Like there's a reason people threw the I word in there. That's different than a protest over immigration or police violence that happens in the downtown.
Speaker 3: But they're like, well, you're trying to inhibit like a lawful activity of deportation is.
Speaker 4: The law right, But you're not trying to change the regime. Yeah, And an insurrection is trying to change the regime, which is what they were trying to do on January sixth, by their own not just admission, but proud like that.
Speaker 1: That's what they were standing up for. They're going to save the republic seventeen seventy six. Yeah, well that's a little bit of an IQ test.
Speaker 4: Also doing the whole seventeen Your whole motto is seventeen seventy six. And then you've been crying ever since that you got accused of an insurrection.
Speaker 3: Ran. If you are looking for intellectual consistency here, you are in the wrong place, my friend.
Speaker 1: Right when you just need to read some book, I'll see my way out.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right. With the deportations and some of the polling, let's go ahead and move to some of this. There's some data that has been coming in on this. And by the way, it is not you know, it is not uniform. It is kind of all over the place, and this is part of the ride. The circumstances are around this matter. CNN's Harry Enton breaking some of this down. Let's take a lesson.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump, the president picking a fight on this and to an extent, you see Los Angeles Mayor Karen Vass a Democrat, and the California Governor Gavin.
Speaker 1: Newsom pushing back.
Speaker 8: So what a voters see in terms of their perceptions of Republicans the president or Democrats, say Gavin Newsom on this issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the American electorate believe that the Democrats don't have a clue on the issue of immigration. I mean, you could just take it here closer to trust more and immigration.
Speaker 1: Democrats versus Republicans. Got three different polls.
Speaker 5: For you across the board. They all tell the same story. Republicans lead on the issue of immigration. You see it here, CBS plus six, You see it here, CNN plus six, you see it here, IPSOS Bigger plus nineteen. No matter what poll you look at, no matter which way you cut it, the American public is with the Republicans. The American public is with Donald Trump, and to a much greater extent than they were in term number one. And it's not just on the broad issue of immigration. It's on the specifics as well in which the American public is with Donald Trump and the Republicans. And that is why Donald Trump is eager to take on this fight and eager for those scenes.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what we were saying, you know, yesterday, and I do think it's something people really need to keep in mind. I would say, you know, really, the only immigration issue of the last thirty days which has been net positive for the Democrats was the Kilmar Albrego Carcia case. Of course, noteworthy the Trump administration did, you know, basically bow down to the Supreme Court and they brought him back here to face.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, it's a trial, right, I mean, by the way, you know, this guy's now free to give interviews. He's gonna have a defense team, like I'm sure he'll probably have like multimillion dollar defense.
Speaker 1: We have discover.
Speaker 3: I said yesterday, I really hope it doesn't take a plea deal because I actually wanted to go a trial.
Speaker 1: I'm serious.
Speaker 3: I want to be able to see all of the evidence, just to break some of this down that Harry was talking about. Let's go ahead and go through some of the slides, shall we. Let's put them up there on the screen. So this is Trump administration's program to deport immigrants illegally in the US. Fifty four percent approved, forty six percent disapproved. I will say that disapproved number has gone up, so people should keep that in mind. Dermostatic public opinion is definitely on its way as some of this becomes reality.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the next part, shall we.
Speaker 3: Trump's deportation program is making people in the US quote safer forty two percent, less safe thirty percent, no change, twenty seven only really thirty percent there in the less safe category.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the next one we have here.
Speaker 3: Trump of the administration is prioritizing the deportation of dangerous criminals fifty three percent, forty seven percent those who aren't dangerous criminals. I will say, I mean, actually on this one, what you really have seen is kind of a shift and a push by Steven Miller and others to take place in workplace raids. You know, not necessarily even quote prioritizing dangerous criminals and others, but really just prioritizing the removal of people who are here illegally. Let's continue with some of these breakdowns. This, though, is why I think that this is all really happening when the nation's attention is all on immigration. As you can see here, Trump's tariffs and trade, Trump's goals versus Trump's approach, fifty percent of people are like, Yeah, Trump's goals I like. Thirty seven percent of people, though, say Trump's approach is something that they like. In terms of the dislike numbers, sixty three percent. I mean, we're going to do a supermajority status over there. Let's get to the next one, shall we. Here you see the impact of new tariffs on prices. You see in the short term, seventy seven percent that's going to increase prices, four percent say decrease, and only nineteen percent say have no impact and or not sure. And so if you think about really what's happening, this is.
Speaker 1: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: Forty five percent approved, fifty five percent disapprove. But it's fifty percent approved. On immigration, fifty percent disapprove, and on the economy it's forty two approve fifty eight Economy is weak for him. Immigrant remains basically the only real thing that they have left, in my opinion, especially after squandering a lot of the goodwill that they initially had coming in on Doge. But anything you want to say before we get to like some of the specific poems is.
Speaker 1: Real quickly on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, immigration polling has the volatility of a Tesla stock. You look at twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, the country is actually kind of siding with Trump like that, and Trump says and believes, and I think rightly so that his seizing of that issue really catapulted him through the nomination and also then to the White House. When the images of the kids in the cages and the Muslim band and all this stuff like hits the American public in the face, they recoil and it flips, and you get this kind of massive support for immigration. You get yard signs and suburbs all over the country. Then under Biden, you have millions of people because you got these twenty twenty kind of shut down of the border because of COVID, So you've got all this pent up kind of pressure on the border that gets lifted at the same time Biden comes in millions of people coming across the border, and opinion flips back again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's really what changed everything, because because it was a massive change in the status quo, and it was particular, it was a material, it was a genuine change, which I think a lot of people ignore.
Speaker 1: Like this is one of the things, right, and it's true throughout history like that.
Speaker 4: You know, you'd have periods of American history where you'd have massive inflows of immigration and then you'd have a reaction to that and have it shut down for a long time, and then you'd have loosening up again. So maybe things are moving faster now if if Trump overplays his hand, the public has shown a willingness to you know, pivot on a dime on this issue.
Speaker 1: No, I think it could be punishing.
Speaker 3: That's part of the reason why I do think that they are risking it with some of these because if it's seen as over zealous, militarized one that is uh, one that is extreme relative to where things are. I have no idea where things are going to fall, because I also think the appetite for a lot of people of crushing protests is pretty high. Let's go and put this eight up there on the screen. This is an interesting one. It kind of gets into some of the nitty gritty Americans believe LA protests should be handled by state and local authorities. This is a UGOV poll just literally came out yesterday. Who do you think it should be the lead in responding to protests? Fifty six percent say state and local, twenty five percent say the federal government. Nineteen percent say not sure. It's a little hard some of these, you go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, interesting question where the parties are very much divided. Yes, because the only people in the country who believe by a significant margin that the federal government should take the lead are Republicans, even Independence by fifty six to twenty here right say it should be state federal. Obviously, you know, overwhelming majority of Democrats believe that. So it's this situation where Republicans are in the vast minority on the question, but within the Republican base.
Speaker 3: Well, that's this question, that's that's that's kind of what I don't want to move away from. Do you approve disapproved of the protests? Thirty six percent approve, forty five percent disapprove. Not sure is nineteen percent. So that's one where I mean, I think these people should really take notice. I mean this, by the way, BLM was more popular at its initial outbreak than this is. And if you really look at some of this here you have right now, things are all over the all over the place, like, for example, do you believe the protests in Los Angeles against ice are quote mostly peaceful thirty eight percent, mostly violent thirty six twenty six not sure. So the more media that plays of violence like that's largely what's going to inform.
Speaker 1: A lot of this.
Speaker 3: I also again want to give a multifaceted picture. Do you approve or disprove the Trump Administration's handling of deportations? Thirty nine percent approve, fifty percent disapprove. So there's a lot of movement, you know, within this, And that's why, you know, it's funny because I see so much of this happen right now where people who speak out against like the Trump administration specific action are criticized as you interlow whatever. But it's like, guys, the public does pay attention to process. I get it, it's annoying, it's nitpicky or whatever. But you know, if anything, if you're quote on the team, paying attention to process really matters, especially for something like this, because you can see you actually have a net positive issue and then a net negative in terms of how the way that you are handling it. And that's why I think that this marine deployment in particular, I mean, also, who knows how long this is going to stay. One of the worst things about the jan sixth thing. There were National guardsmen in our streets here, Ryan for what four months? When did the first come down at the Capitol? It took months, by the way, I mean, that's crazy. The United States Capital is one of the most accessible places in America, I think.
Speaker 1: Which I think I thought it was never calm down. I thought so too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, one of the cool things about the capital is constituents can just walk in there and like heckle their member of Congress. I encourage people to do it. It's it's really fun to watch. Actually, but that just stopped overnight. Of course the members loved it. But yeah, But the point is is that around Washington, I'm sure you've seen this. When I came to college here, you could go up to the White House fence.
Speaker 1: Now not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Lafayette Park. I think maybe in the last two years people have been able to go. During BLM, it was basically just shut down for like three years, which I think is nuts.
Speaker 1: Is bad.
Speaker 3: You know, these are like the nation's monuments, capitals, et cetera. And now here we have in the Los Angeles it's like, okay, so they're being sent there as you and I know it takes months, maybe even years for.
Speaker 1: People to be sent back.
Speaker 3: You want an active duty US Marine, you know, occupation or whatever around the federal liberation. But it sounds secks for them too, you know, Liberation Day. They don't want to live in downtown Los Angeles. It's a shipple compared to twenty nine pobs. Although apparently they don't like it there either because it's too hot, so whatever.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: When I moved to this city, you can actually drive along Pennsylvania Avenue.
Speaker 3: Oh those pre nine eleven right, Yeah, I've seen videos of that. I've never seen it. Yeah, yeah, you're just sitting in trafficking. It's like if you watch really old episodes of the West Wing from like nineteen ninety nine, you'll see car You're like.
Speaker 1: Wait, you could drive in front of the White House. You're like, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: When they shut it down, the whole city is like that's a major thoroughfare.
Speaker 1: That's how we get across that city. How are you?
Speaker 3: I don't shut down Membrane? What post pre nine eleven Washington d C? What was like it was the Golden age? It certainly was okay, So that's with polling, We don't last point of this.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, this is this will be as interesting as a trivia question a year from now, like what was the polling like at the beginning of this, because we have no idea where.
Speaker 1: This is headed. We truly don't, and that's that's going to change everything.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another question too around how the protesters themselves handle this in Los Angeles, because if you continue to see more looting or more Mexican flags and or you know, Waymo's being although I believe WEYMO has been shut down now, or you know, general like burning, you're going to see NetPro But if you just see these permanent drone helicopter shots, you know, and that doesn't even seem like it's particularly bad, I think public opinion could sway pretty quickly. And it is a big question too about how the rest of the nation will respawned. As of yet, have not seen much. No, no, there's nothing big going on in New York, nothing big going on. I mean there's little pockets, few things, San Francisco, Dallas.
Speaker 1: These are a few hundred people.
Speaker 3: These are not you know, ten even ten twenty thousand, like, let alone the millions that we originally saw back in twenty twenty, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, I you know, we talked earlier about the disorganized nature of this and and I elevated that. But it is worth underlying underlining that they did arrest the head of the SCIU in California. But I'm that brought to people familiar with it.
Speaker 3: Can you lay out exactly what happened, because I know that that had happened, but I have not read this.
Speaker 1: It was like four days ago or so. It was David Whareta.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's related to Dolores where to it was a legendary kind of civil civil rights and immigration rights figure, labor organizer, but so he's the head of the SCIU in California. And they were protesting these a bunch of arrests and detentions of people in this basement of this federal building. People who were being kept for many hours in pitch dark, being given you know, very little food and water over that period of time, just treated like, you know, treated absolutely horribly. And so there were very small protests around this, partly organized by SEIU in defense of their comrades, and they arrested the head of the state Chapter of the s CiU and then a bunch of people came out. So you can call that organized in the sense it's literally organized labor, because this is an organized group of people who were like they arrested, where to they did what not? Because he's here illegally using that kind of almost a loophole. What's the charge. The charge would be obstructing like you know, a lawful like immigration arrest or something. But I call it a loophole because if you're protesting the general policy of like the treatment of immigrants, and a cop is like move out of the way, and you're like, no, I'm sitting here protesting. You can arrest them for civil disobedience normally, and that's you know, that's typically how this miss this goes a little misdemeanor in said they're saying, ah, boom, you are, you're trying to obstruct a federal you know, carrying out of immigration duties. And so they arrested him for that and they're still holding him and so that that is what really kicked off the protest.