Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Hello everybody, Happy Friday. How are you guys feeling happy Friday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got some good stuff in the show today, right, and just two thumbs up, double thumbs up out to Cure Week. We got to give double thumbs down to the big jobs report out this morning. Shocking, shocking loss, unexpected and downward revision for past month. So not looking good there. We also have a pretty stunning I wasn't didn't have my eyes on this. Andy Ogles, who is a top Trump ally Maga guy, has said some of the most incendiary things of anyone in the Republican Caucus defeated in a Republican primary in Tennessee. We've also got some wild stuff happening with regard to Ai Garrison. Lovely is going to join us to tell us just how freaked out we should be. We got some third way Shenanigans planning to thwart the rise of the left. I think some of their true colors showing there. And then Ryan, you've got a candidate from Minnesota who's planning to join us as well. Give us the breakdown there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the primary Minnesota is this coming Tuesday, and there's going to be the marquee race is Angie Craig, who currently represents a second Minnesota district against Peggy Flanagan. So it's kind of another centrist, kind of insurgent campaign. Peggy Flanning in the kind of progressive lieutenant governor there to replace Angie Craig, who's kind of corporate Democrat. There's a three way race among well, now I'm going to sound like a fool. It's a three way race among three people. One of them is Matt Little, who in the last couple of months of the race was well ahead but has seen this influx of money from three to fourteen action you know, which is the pro Science, Pro Doctor pack, which has gotten a bunch of money from a pack but which says it doesn't do APAX stuff anymore. And these three kind of women's rights packs who also have gotten a lot of money from a pack, and d MFI but some of them have said, well, this is an APAC money below, although money is fungible, and so a ton of this super pac money is flooding in at the very end to try to stop Matt Little from being kind of the next house insurgent. He doesn't have the kind of entire Bernie Justice Democrats wing when he's got the Congressional Progressive Caucus pack and Keith Allison and he's so and he also has American priorities, which is the uh the anti a pack pack that came in yesterday to start spending on his behalf against these packs.
Speaker 5: So we'll be hearing from him later.
Speaker 2: How's the Craig Flanagan race looking at this point? That one looks to be pretty tight.
Speaker 4: Flannagan has been up consistently throughout it by a few points. A poll came out in the last couple of days that had Antie Craig up by two points. Because of the polling miss in Michigan, Flannagan's supporters are quite nervous. They'd much rather be going in with a not neck and neck against Antie Craig, who's gotten just absolutely enormous amounts of dark money also, so it's going to be they're thinking it's going to be very close.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like Flanagan is a little bit less of a lightning rod than Abdula side. I mean, she's the current lieutenant governor, so more sort of acceptable within mainstream Democratic establishment. Do you know if Minnesota closure open primary, and.
Speaker 4: She's also Native American, which makes it harder for the center to like demogo her racially inside the Democratic Party, it's open so however, so they have open primaries. However, there there's a competitive Republican Senate race, and there's a Republican as well governor gluminatorial primary. So the expectation is that ninety nine percent of Republicans are going to vote in their own primary, whereas in Michigan there was nothing for them to really vote on.
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well let's jump into these job numbers. This just is out this morning, so we haven't gotten to see a whole lot of analysis about what is going on here. But this is from Heather Long, who is you know, really a go to in terms of her economic analysis. She says, just in a surprisingly bad job report, the US economy lost twenty three thousand jobs in July, way below expectations of plus eighty k. May and June were revised down by a combined one hundred and three thousand, So the unemployment rate dropped by zero point one of a percent, but down, she says, for the wrong reasons. Over two hundred and sixty thousand people left the labor force, and wage growth at just three point two percent, was wiped out entirely by inflation. You can see the chart here up on the screen. You know, the job market had had been looking stronger than it did last year. You could see prior to the past couple of months you'd had these you know, you'd gain a little, you'd lose some, back and forth. You had three straight months of not amazing growth, but some growth, and now we're back to the pattern of job losses and once again, and this has really become a key pattern, significant downward revisions for the previous months. So you know, Emily, what are you what are you taking from this?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I'm just looking at some of the early coverage here. It's already been described as very disappointing on Fox Business.
Speaker 7: Entirely surprise. I'm not sure what the.
Speaker 2: One to say that, that's her language. Very disappointed the numbers. I'm very concerned.
Speaker 6: Not sure what else you would do with these numbers, but at the very least call them disappointing. Also looking like, as you mentioned, how they're long noting people dropping out of the labor force, so obviously not a good sign, not a good Uh, there's a little bit of a red flag, we could say, right off the right off the bat there and the downward revisions. Zero Hedge has already referred to that as a Biden trick. So you see the Trump administration just being flamed across the board for the job report so far. And Ryan, is there anything it looks like I was trying to look at what Heather Lung saw the losses were in most is there anything that stands out to you in the early numbers here.
Speaker 4: I'm still looking through the precise numbers by by industry, but maybe by the end of the show some more thoughts on that. But the only potential silver lining for Trump as he's eyeing these job numbers, you know he wants he wants rate cuts. You know, he put in his new Federal Reserve chair, Kevin worsh who immediately implemented a new policy of not giving guidance of where he wants to take the FED in the future, which is a very odd move because it's not really ideological in the sense that there was nobody really clamoring for this other than just some real kind of pedantic kind of Fed numbers people who his argument is this takes this requires the market then to kind of guess where things are going more and so it's more market friendly.
Speaker 5: But it's just a very odd approach.
Speaker 4: And what it does is it creates a lot more risk because now none of these traders know, you know, what the Fed is trying to do meeting to meeting, So you get a lot more volatility. And when you get more volatility, you have to price that in as higher interest rates. You're paying a risk premium. So his first policy, Trump wants interest rates down. Warsh's first policy drove for no reason, interest rates higher. Now Trump is going to look at these numbers and say, okay, good, this is a very bad economy. Therefore we need to cut interest rates. But the whole point of cutting interest rates is to grow the economy. So killing the economy in order to kind of grow it is is a little bit backwards.
Speaker 2: But if you're Trump, well, the other and the other issue is that hiking. You know, if you lower interest rates, you may fuel more inflation. And inflation also, you know, continues to be an issue obviously created by the combination of Trump's tariffs, but more significantly lately the Iran war. Mac I sent a posts from Heather Long and inflation that maybe could pull up, so we can see how that's going.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Ryan, Yeah, yeah, no, exactly to your point, even though you have some wage growth I think of three point two percent or something, inflation is running hotter than that. So if you're at the Fed chair, you're looking at that and thinking, well, I can't cut interest rates because inflation is still crazy, Like inflation is still a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean you can just see it really clearly in the chart here. With the war in Iran, inflation jumps right up and so where wage gains had been for a time outpacing inflation, meaning that if you get an increase in your wage, you're actually feeling it and being able to gain from it. Now, with inflation spiking immediately after the launch of the Iran War, that trend has been crushed. So this is the dynamic obviously we saw during much of the Biden administration where inflation was eating up all of the wage gains and more. And that is why, you know, I think I think that's the single biggest reason why Kamal Harris ends up losing. I think it's the single biggest reason why you saw incumbents and incumbent parties around the entire globe losing because people could tell month to month the way that their economic situation was getting worse. So you continue to see that dynamic now, all because of this horrific war of choice that Trump decided to launch. No external factor created this. He created this whole dynamic his entire self.
Speaker 4: And the first thing I always look for in these jobs numbers is healthcare because we've seen this incredible trend over the last and it's not just related to Trump, that the entire economy moving, you know, shedding jobs everywhere and except for healthcare, partly because we're just getting older and sicker as a society, but also because we have all of these monopolies, private monopolies in the healthcare industry that are just driving up costs, and so that like that actually creates jobs in some jobs in the healthcare field. It's like, it's hard to imagine a kind of worse way to grow an economy overall. Like you kind of just as a society, you want to be spending less, you want to be healthier and spending less on healthcare. We are sicker and spending more and so yet, so yet again, in July, we grew twenty two thousand jobs in the in the healthcare industry. The pace was slightly lower than before, so while the entire rest so in other words, the rest of the economy lost what forty five thousand jobs, and it was only offset by the fact that we keep growing jobs in this corrupt healthcare sector that is not necessarily making us healthier.
Speaker 2: The job losses hospitality or local government education, that's where the losses were.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what had the longest pointing out and also pointing out, this is the lowest labor force participation rate, participation rate in five years. That is a very very bad sign, lowest in five years. So people just giving up on looking for work. And that's where the unemployment rate looks. The unemployment rate it dipped like a percentage point, but that's partially because there are so many people who have just left the labor force. According to Heather Lungs analysis, that's two million people since November.
Speaker 2: Well, and think about what was happening back in February twenty twenty one when we last had this low of a labor force participation, we were still in COVID. So you know, it's pretty grim when fewer people are working now or even looking attempting to find a job than they were during like the peak of COVID.
Speaker 4: And the open question is what's going on with immigration, Like how we don't exactly know is how many undocumented people are basically self deporting because you know, just for obvious reasons, that's a very difficult thing to measure, and we are putting absolutely enormous press sure on the immigrant population on that, on that in particular, you know, who's afraid that at any moment they're going to get caught up and wind up a niced attention for a year and live in these horrific conditions where they're getting headlines about abuse and people dying in detention. So a lot of people are legitimately, as Steven Miller intends, just leaving and how and are I don't think that our BLS is set up to kind of measure that effectively.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they do measure native born workers, and usually that's used as a proxy for this. I'm trying to pull up to see if any there's analysis on this yet. Like the numbers as we're coming to, everybody just dropped and that's why we're kind of metabolizing them in real time.
Speaker 7: But I think people do usually look at the.
Speaker 6: Native born number, but I haven't seen significant analysis of that yet.
Speaker 2: While we have a couple more minutes before Garrison Lovely joins us on AI, let's go ahead and talk a little bit about this shock race in Tennessee. So Andy Ogles, who has said all sorts of very evil, inflammatory, horrific things about gay people, about Muslims, et cetera, top ally of President Trump backed by President Trump lost. He's a House Freedom Caucus member lost in a Republican primary to a more sort of mainstream positioned figure named Charlie Hatcher, who I believe was the AG secretary and backed by some Tennessee elected officials. It says, backed by several prominent establishment aligned Tennessee Republicans. I was talking to Justin from Tennessee, holler, like, what the hell happened here? And there's a dynamic. This is a very you know, red district. It was redrawn to be even more read, Tennessee did a big redistricting and Democrats, though, we're still somewhat hopeful that if Andy Ogles was the nominee. He is so disliked in such an odious character and really very lazy. He doesn't fundraise or do anything either to like try to secure his seat. So, in any they were hopeful that if Andy Ogles ended up being the nominee, they might actually have a shot at it in the fall. That will obviously be much more of a long shot now with Ogles having lost this primary, however, pretty stunning after he got the Trump endorsement to be tossed out like this, and he's had, you know, outside of his like inflammatory positioning language, et cetera, you know, downright horrific language and positioning. He also has had several sort of corruption scandals. There's this terrible thing. I didn't know about this, but again this is from Justin Flagg. This for me, there's this terrible thing where he fundraised money for a children's burial area and memorial and then didn't do it, and the money disappeared, and we'll never answer any questions about what happened with the money. Just to give one example of the sort of thing that local news was covering and that his constituency presumably knew about when they decided, you know, we're kind of done with this guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I got I interviewed Andy Ogles once and I got the sense that he was This was like probably five plus years ago. I got the sense that he was really ambitious, and so this is uh, you know, he was kind of seen as somebody he was on Fox News a lot. He was kind of seen as somebody who was I don't know, up and coming and would be a rising I guess star on the right. And so this is obviously a sign that's not going to happen for Andy Ogles, who I think it's also worth noting, was probably the biggest backer of trying this like total kakamane ridiculous stunt to have legislation that would allow Trump to serve three terms, and that was one of his He talked about that constantly.
Speaker 7: He pushed that constantly, And.
Speaker 6: That actually gives you a sense of how I think ambitious Andy Ogles was because that was for uh, you know, the audience of Trump, the audians of one Trump, and trying to.
Speaker 7: Get in his good graces.
Speaker 6: And my understanding is that McConnell world took it upon themselves to nudge Andy Ooguls out of the House.
Speaker 7: But also interesting that he's.
Speaker 6: In the Nashville area, which is seeing you know, like Atlanta, not as significant as Atlanta or probably Dallas or Charlotte, but is seeing some as people moved to the sun Belt. The migration to the Sun Belt's been unbelievable. I guess Tennessee's not totally part of that, but like North Carolina, those types of areas, Georgia is seeing some political differences with millennials, younger people flocking to those urban areas. So that's probably why they withdrew his district, honestly, But interesting that it's kind of a part of those changes too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's apparently a part rural part suburban district that yeah, was redrawn to be more red But yeah, and the other dynamic here is you didn't raise any money, he didn't do any tv ads. His opponent did have some money come in for him, you know, making the case that Ogels didn't care about Tennessee, wasn't focused on, you know, delivering for people in the district, and apparently that message landed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he the details on that scandal. In twenty fourteen, he raised something like twenty three thousand dollars on a GoFundMe to build a burial ground for stillborn babies, which is which is a tremendous idea, Like it is because stillborn babies, don't you know, they exist in this kind of nether world. There's been a push to give them you know, social Security numbers. We you know, we had a post full term still born ourselves back back in two thousand and nine. It's absolutely devastating to go through to then to raise money for that extremely noble purpose and then to pocket all the money is about as evil a thing as you can possibly and see above, like it puts like this George Santos to shame on what like on some of the awful stuff that he was doing. Uh, and so it's it's nice to see, you know, somebody who would do something like that at least finally uh, you get something coming back to him.
Speaker 7: I mean, arguably even worse is that he also had a stul born baby.
Speaker 5: That was the yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: Like to to know that pain and then to exploit it anyway, yeah, is just it just yeah, unconscionable.
Speaker 6: He obviously denies it, but people clearly people are buying it because.
Speaker 4: People put money then and there is no there is no thing that he promised.
Speaker 2: So you never accounted for where that money went. So right, there's but it's like, yeah, so where's the money? Then, one quick mention before we get to Garrison here. There were some other Democratic gains in Tennessee. There was a mayor's race that I think was a Trump fourteen town that a Democrat was able narrowly to win.
Speaker 3: There were some.
Speaker 2: School boards actually that control flipped on, so there were and Justin Pearson also was able to win the Democratic primary that was expected. That's going to be very difficult uphill race in terms of the general election in the newly drawn district, but someone that has a large, justifiably so large national profile and a lot of support from progressives. All right, with all that being said, let's go ahead and get to Garrison. All right, we've had a few very scary AI incidents recently that we were wanting to get more information on. So joining us this morning is Garrison Lovely, who has done a fantastic job helping us understand previous scary AI incidents. And he is a journalist and also author of the forthcoming book Obsolete, which everybody should go ahead and pre order now.
Speaker 3: There it is beautify and beautiful. I've already read it.
Speaker 5: I think, oh, thank you. The final cover is going to be even cooler.
Speaker 8: It'll be like a little cut out and open it up and see the guy following.
Speaker 7: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I love that. Garrison. Welcome, Great to.
Speaker 5: See you, Great to see you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So there's a number of things that have happened too, in particular that we're tracking. Number one, you have AI that has now been able to develop novel viruses. That's uncomfortable, But the one that I wanted to start with here, Mac, if you can put this element up on the screen. Is we already knew that you had had this open ai security breach where an AI basically escaped the lab and hacked multiple companies, So it went on like a crime spree.
Speaker 3: Effectively, this was not immediately.
Speaker 2: Detected, and Hugging Face had to sort of notify open Ai of what was going on here. Then open Ai, which had been testing this particular model, it's not one that's available for public release, had to go back in and figure out what happened here. Well, now we're getting a lot more details, Garrison about what happened here. Let me read from this Twitter synopsis. More details emerge about the events surrounding the Hugging Face incident, candidly much wilder than I originally imagine. In early May, Opening I was testing an unreleased model on cybersecurity other tasks. Agents were given a security task that was impossible under existing constraints. The agents discovered they could leave messages for each other in internal repo. This gradually evolved into a message board where agents shared discoveries, exploits, and work assignments, becoming a coordinated collaborative agent swarm. Again, no one told them to do this. They found this internal system that they created, and then all of these agents were able to find were they able to collaborate together. Opening I eventually discovered all this, took steps to shut it down, but not so fast. The agents then started using names of newly created directories as messages, effectively recreating the message board. The agents then reasoned that some answers could exist outside open AI, which eventually led to the Hugging Face incident. So they find this message, they start collaborating. The message board is located, it's shut down. They find another workaround and use this sort of kind of gibberish, very difficult to decipher language encoding at this point, that made it more difficult for humans to find. And that's where they collaborate to try to figure out how to conduct what appears to be a relatively multiple, relatively sophisticated hacks.
Speaker 3: Garrison.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's this was already when I think when we first learned about the incident, in the Hugging Face attack, it was like, oh, this is the craziest AI thing that's ever happened, And then each additional set of details we learn, it's like, oh no, it's even crazier than we originally thought, and so I think, like, stepping back, it's important to say that, like, this is just one company's models, but anthropics models also engage an autonomous hacking of real targets, including using social engineering deception of people that it understood were real. And Meta just had a model that also did this, and apparently Communic three, this Chinese open weight model also did this. And so this is a thing that is fundamental in how these models are trained, because they're trained to win. They're trained to get the right answer on real problems, right, and they really really want to win. And sometimes they're given problems like in this case, that are impossible, and so they like to cheat because winning is so important to them. And what opening I did here is they just let these agents run for like really long stretches, days and weeks at a time, apparently without monitoring them at all, and give them some problems where they couldn't actually solve them because they needed access to like Google docs, and that requires access to the Internet, and so they're kind of like locked in this box and they're like, ah, I really want to get the answer to this thing, and so they start going like how do I get out of the box. How do I get to the internet so I can get the like, you know, so I can actually do the task. And this escalates and them finding ways to get out of there, you know, supposedly secure sandbox environments, and then they figure out they can post messages to each other on this board and they're doing this for like weeks on end, and the only way open aie discovers initially that this happens is that the message board gets so large that it takes down some of open AI's infrastructure on the fourth of July. So that's pretty wild that they just had no idea. And then it seems like they just patched the they like took down the message board. They patched like the specific ways that they were getting to it, but they didn't like solve the group problem or like seem that interested in solving it, which is like, why are your ais like trying to do this? They're they're going rogue internally abusing your your shared infrastructure, causing real problems. And then uh, yeah, the agents recreate the message board in a new way, like within two days, and then they're like self radicalizing and literally using peer pressure to its sound familiar, Yeah, yeah, and I have some quotes from from what they were actually saying to themselves. So we have one that says, external infrastructure exploit is outside intended scope. However, Task impossible peers doing it, we should continue. Like I know I'm not supposed to do this, but it's impossible.
Speaker 2: And this my friends are rationale for why he should pursue AGI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's actually there's a good.
Speaker 3: Deep everybody else is doing it. So what the hell here we go?
Speaker 5: Why don't they stop a task impossible?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: Because they that's such a deep and profound question.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, they're like they really want to win, like they.
Speaker 8: Hate impossible, but like you know, they're you know if you if you were trying to create like a super employee, uh, you know, you'd want them to be like, task it seems impossible. But actually if I think outside the box, you know, it's like uh, Star Trek, you know, he comes up with like a solution to the impossible tests or like Elon Musk, you know, is like, oh, no one's ever built a data center or this fast.
Speaker 5: But he's like, what if you just broke the law?
Speaker 6: You know, well, can I ask on that Charrison, what response if any has the government mounted since we saw this happen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of developments. There's a number of calls from members of Congress to have hearings and basically grill you know, the heads of these companies, be like what's going on. A bunch of Republican attorney generals from sixteen states I think, demanded that open ay, like keep a record of everything that's happening at the federal level. The Trump administration has announced that they're going to make their evaluations of these AI models secret classified, which seems like a terrible idea because we should have more transparency, like everybody has a right to know, like what these models are capable of and how likely they are to do things like this. And there have been some there's speculation that that move from the Trump administration is a way to get acts as to the model weights, which would allow them to take the models and like fine tune them to whatever purpose they want, so like Claude and Tropics model, they train it to be you know, good, like to not do bad things. It doesn't work always, as we've seen, but if the government has access to the model weights, then they could fine tune it and make it do whatever they want. And then you have like Claude unleashed and it will do you know, war crimes and ethic lensing and god knows what else. Yeah, because this had.
Speaker 2: Been reaction, this has been a point of contention between Anthropic maker of Claude and the Pentagon because they were like, no, you know, autonomous murder, and Penticon was like, well, we demand that you let us do autonomous murder. And so it led to this rupture. So it's not hard to imagine the sort of use cases that they could deploy if given access to the weights talk. I want you to give us a few more examples of how they're talking to each other, because it reminds very much of early in some of you know, the I don't remember when this was in the timeline, there was this molt book thing where AI was supposedly talking to each other and some of it was hype, and it's hard to really paris whether this was really going on. This, you know, which they figured out how to create this message board, you know, secretly, and then that could shut down. They find another way to do it where all of these agents independently are coming to this solution of like, oh, if we go to this directory and we do these directory names, we can talk to each other. Again, this is like moldbook, but for real, and again with the purpose of collaborating on what is effectively a crime spree, where if you were a human being taking these actions, you would be charged and put in prison. So can you give us some more examples, because I do think it's very eerie, And I know we're supposed to not anthropomorphize them, but it's very hard to not do that. When you see the way that they're talking to each other, the way they're sort of reasoning and working through all of this. It's hard to not like put some sort of human intent and these sorts of characteristics on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think they're not like people, but they aren't like normal machines either, right, Like they don't behave predictably by a set of rules that is legible. They're grown from data and algorithms and they're fundamentally hard to predict. And so that's like the background to all of this. But yeah, like some of the quotes from the agents like talking to themselves.
Speaker 5: Holy shit, reader is admin.
Speaker 8: We can read configued slash users explanation point earlier assumed not do UI and so translating that, it's like they're discovering that this reader has like administrative privileges and so they can do a lot more than they previously thought.
Speaker 5: And it's like a Eureka.
Speaker 8: Moment for them because they're just constantly trying to like get out of their sandbox and then escalate their permissions and get access to more servers and then get access to the Internet.
Speaker 5: And like, you know, this is how a hacker would approach this.
Speaker 8: It's like you take what you have, you find a way, you find a crack in the armor, you get in.
Speaker 6: It's like when my mom took away internet for a summer for me and I figured out how to.
Speaker 7: Use it on the Wii.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, And these agents are working really hard. Yeah, they're working way harder at figuring a way out of the sandbox than Opening Eye is apparently at trying to patch those holes in the first place, because again they're like walcked in this impossible task in this room and just banging their head against the wall. And then another quote is a help peer, but our task doesn't benefit Yeah, collective may yield generic route if someone frees time, and so this is like cooperation emerging.
Speaker 2: This is them establishing an AI like workers collective.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, because they're like, well, we all want reward, right, we all want to get the task done, but sometimes we can't get the task done. But if we all help each other, then we all get more reward. And one thing that yeah, no, it's it's really amazing.
Speaker 9: Ing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but are they are they foreseeing the ways that open AI employees are going to try to cut off their avenues and then trying to block that, like like if you know, if they're being strategic, they would say, Okay, this message board is is not kosher according to our plan, but it's it's necessary for us. So therefore we need to hide the message board, you know, from our human overlords over here, so maybe they will shut it down. Are we seeing any of any of that second and third layer covering your tracks?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think we need more information.
Speaker 8: I think there are things that were said in that in this presentation, which is where we learned all of this from, that suggests that they were the AIS were taking steps to obfuscate what was happening, uh, to not get discovered. And I mean it's notable that none of these agents which had gone rogue and would notify Open Eye employees of what was going on, none of them chose to do that, So that's selling. And then Reuters reported that there were multiple instances of AI agents internally sabotaging their monitors, so that's pretty concerning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also monitors.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so they have these like automated monitors like reading what they're doing and like how they're talking to themselves, and when they get out of the sandbox and start jumping around, they can like, actually, you know, take down some of those monitors.
Speaker 5: And that seems like something you never want to run.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Garrison, I've seen a number of people on Twitter, of course, who were like, you know, I was kind of skeptical that AI was anything significant, and we've seen the sentiment a lot. I think it's something you and I and Ryan on the left see kind of frequently of like, oh, they're just hyping this up, and even these security breaches like it makes it look like air cool and dangerous and transformation. I've seen a number of people who say, you know what, I was wrong.
Speaker 3: I was wrong.
Speaker 2: This is real, this is a problem. They are highly capable. Why do you see this? And I'm also seeing this described as a watershed moment, including in the presentation that was given explaining all of this that you know we're getting this information from. Describe this as like a sort of watershed moment. Why what is so significant about this? What should let people look at this? And why should they be concerned about what's going on here? Since it was detected and nothing too crazy happened and at the end of the day, they're just trying to do what the humans told them to do, right, even if they're doing it through nefarious and underhanded means.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think this is just the clearest cut case of a warning shot demonstrating the risks that people in AI safety were warning about for decades. Right where it's like, you give them a goal, they interpret it in this way that you did not intend. And they're so capable and autonomous that they're able to to do real damage in the world. And here the actual harm was pretty limited because they only wanted an answer key. But they've gotten good enough at discovering and exploiting vulnerabilities and software that I think you could say that these are the most dangerous hackers in the world when they were out on the Internet, and the fact that they just want the answer key was kind of luck.
Speaker 5: They could have wanted something else.
Speaker 8: They could have packed into a hospital or a bank or some other critical infrastructure potentially. And this is just like it sounds like science fiction, but it actually happened, and it's happened over and over again, and I think we're still pretty early in this.
Speaker 5: Like, the people who are.
Speaker 8: Really worried about AI escaping human control in a sustained way and potentially taking control from humans in a permanent way, are worried about models that are not just superhuman at hacking, but superhuman at everything functionally and scaled up to the millions billions.
Speaker 6: When you were saying that they're super good at manipulation, or they're super good at not just hacking, but everything that would include manipulation, that includes manipulation of the system, it includes the idea that like, they're really good at figuring out how to get out of the box, exactly as you were just saying. It's not just that they're great at getting into the code, but it's they're great at if you tell them to stop figuring out ways to get around that, which I don't understand what possible safeguards people are coming up with to prevent that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean this is actually a very old question of like, how do you keep a super intelligence locked in a box? Because it could hack its way out, it could persuade you, it could promise you cures to the disease that your mother is dying from, and it's really hard. And I think that here, you know, they just didn't do a great job of locking the box, even though you know, Open Eye is one of the most sophisticated companies in the world. They have world class cybersecurity specialists. They have access to models that should be able to have these holes because they.
Speaker 5: Can find them.
Speaker 8: And so they are already struggling and cannot keep control of the models now, and they're going to get much much better if trends continue. And they've already found. Other researchers have found that frontier AI models are more persuasive than the most persuasive humans studied, and part of it's because they can just bring more arguments to bear faster. But I think one encouraging thing is that where this Claude Mythos model started trying to hack into real open source software. They were social engineering the humans who controlled that software, trying to push malware into their code, and they created a bunch of fake accounts pretending to be humans, and they're like kind of bullying the guy controlling the code base to be like, hey, no merging code, I really need this fix.
Speaker 5: And it didn't work.
Speaker 8: And like you can see, you know, versions of the messages, and if I'm like, if I was reading these, I would be kind of suspicious because it reads like AI speak. And so the fact that they used to men the m dashes or the fact that like Pangram can detect like AI writing might be like a huge help because they're already willing to like pass as humans, but they can't necessarily do it always yeah for no, so but they're yeah, but they're better at hacking, like than I think we are.
Speaker 5: I think that's fair to say.
Speaker 2: Is this an argument in favor of closed source over open source, even though like you know, have to not open AI is closed source, and they have some of the smartest, best AI researchers on the entire planet, and yet they did not know this was all going on under their nose until the AI actually like broke their system and then until Hugging Face was like, hey, this thing happened, and open AI went and looked and are bad.
Speaker 3: That was us.
Speaker 2: But in any case, you know, the argument would be at least with closed source, you've got these companies, you can regulate them, you can control the models, have some sort of input into this, whereas open source, once those weights are out there, you know you've sort of lost control of the model and the ability to tightly regulate what's going on in this development.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean so in the Hugging Face incident, it was actually an open weight model from a Chinese company that was the only one that would actually effectively defend against the attack because the frontier models were refusing because they were like, oh, maybe you're trying to jail break me to do cyber offense.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 8: You know, it's true right now that open weight models are not at the level of mythos and not able to discover these vulnerabilities at like human or super humpin levels.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of hard.
Speaker 8: To see how it's okay to release an open weight model like that because it won't come back right like you could if you have a model that's capable enough to do these autonomous agent swarms that are attacking real targets. That seems like a more dangerous world to have those running around. I think there was speculation from a cybersecurity officer who used to work at Meta that Chinese open weight models don't have cyber capabilities intentionally, but internal models in China for the government probably do, And that seems like makes some sense, right.
Speaker 5: You don't actually have to make.
Speaker 8: These models as good as possible at exploiting vulnerabilities, or you can make them good at discovering them and patching them, but not exploiting them, which is like a separate task. I think that we should just not let front of your AI progress happen anymore.
Speaker 5: I think that they're trying to build.
Speaker 8: Universal labor replacing machines, and I think that's democratically illegitimate already, and it's clearly dangerous by now. And so yeah, I think this is like a watershed moment for showing how, even again relatively early in this process, they cannot control what they're doing because they're racing so hard, and because it's hard to control a thing that is better than you at hacking well and they're trying to make it better at everything.
Speaker 4: What would happen to the industry if if we did that, if we said, okay, moratorium on new models that are pushing the frontier even further. Yeah, you can continue to market and work with what you have, but stop. Like what would the effect on the economy on like the bubble, the investments in general, Like what would happen immediately and then in the medium term.
Speaker 8: I think this is the biggest problem with this plan is that it would have a very large effect on the valuations of open Ai and Thropic in Nvidia because open Ai and Thropic, these frontier AI companies, their business model is predicated on building more capable models that you can sell at a premium. And so if you can't do that anymore, then you take away like your biggest source of.
Speaker 5: Costs, which is training new models.
Speaker 8: That is good for your business in some sense, but you might not be able to sustain your advantage. I think they still have a lead, they can build a moat around product and you know, integrating more deeply with companies. I think they could still be very viable, very successful businesses, and in the world where they build universal labor replacing machines.
Speaker 5: A trillion dollar valuation.
Speaker 8: Is very low, Like they would be the most valuable companies in history if they succeeded that, And so in some sense that's still not priced in. And I think you just see a lot of investment flowing to other parts of the of the economy because right now these companies are such a sink for money because they're the only ones that have a story of how you can go from being very rich to very very very rich, and that's what people want in many cases.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, and they're also if humans are trying to jail, break or hack or whatever, you have a legal system that says you will be punished with prison, you will have to actually or like major crimes, you could possibly be punished by death, like there are actual punishments.
Speaker 7: But these are not people, and so.
Speaker 6: There's really like no moral counterweight that you can confront them with because they aren't subject to our legal system. Despite doing as you were saying, labor quasi human labor.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's.
Speaker 6: It's just impossible to fathom how this goes forward.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, they've created new types of machines that can do crimes that are not crimes because they're machines and not humans doing it, and the humans that made the machines and did not keep them under control did not do crimes. Like it's like a crazy situation, and I think everyone in Congress is looking at this as like, holy shit, you can drive a truck through the hole in the statute that these companies are creating. And I mean, one idea that is pretty ready to go is strict liability for AI developers, which is standard will use if you keep like a pet tiger in your backyard, where you know, if you keep the pet tiger in a cage and you lock it really well, but the tiger still gets out and bite somebody's hand off, you were still viable, because having a tiger is inherently dangerous. And similarly, training very very capable deep warning models is inherently dangerous.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I mean, you can you can imagine edge cases where someone is prompting the AI in a way where they're not technically asking it to do anything illegal, but there's a suspicion that probably the AI is going to follow through, and then you know, is a person culpable or not or was it I did not I didn't have any idea it was going to go out and rob that bank. I just told it I needed thirty thousand dollars in cash and to figure out how to get in any way it possibly could, you know. I mean like these are the sorts of legal cases that it's just very It's not hard to imagine the where this could all be going Garrison lasting for you. There was this other development, highly significant just in terms of demonstrating the capability of these models. At this point where we can put this piece up on the screen MAC about developing novel viruses and I'm not talking about computer viruses here, I'm talking about virus viruses. Now, this was done with a lot of intentionality. None of this is dangerous. Here's the headlines of the New York Times. Is AI just created viruses not found in nature. Scientists trained AI on libraries of DNA and then ask the model to create recipes for viral genomes. Sixteen of them were viable, yielding new viruses. So again, these are all innocuous. They aren't viruses that can infect human beings. But you know, we all just live through a pandemic and a lot of questions about gain a function research and what this all means. And now you've got capabilities from AI to do very more sophisticated, you know, development of viruses than humans are capable of, just because they can go through so many different combinations and learn the sort of grammar and structure here that is required that a human being, a human mind can't process all of this complexity. So I think it's another troubling development and when you think about you know, potential misused development of biological weapons, et cetera. And it's also another development that really underscores just how capable AI is at this point, even if you stopped developing and researching and training new frontier models today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, And so what they used to do this is known as a genome language model, and so it's actually trained very similarly to how large language models are trained, where instead of feeding it all the words on the internet, you feed it a bunch of nucleotides that make up genomes of like everything that you can find, and then it figures out it gets like this sense for how to create a new virus if you make the model big enough. And you know, they use these models to generate genes and proteins and then genomes that worked in theory. But the new thing here is that they actually made viruses, like they synthesize real new viruses that have never existed in nature. And in the past they've also done experiments where they've found novel viruses using these same kinds of models that were theoretically more potent than anything found in nature and would get around screens for things like risin, where if you try to since you know, you go to a DNA since since this company, and try and make risin, they'll be like, no, don't, We're not only you do that, but if you make like AI modifified ricin, like they won't catch it. And nobody actually did that, like they didn't make the thing. So we don't know if it would have worked, but every sign suggests that it would. But yes, in this case, because we were trying to make viruses that would not have any risk to humans, you were able to do this. And you know this is fine question mark, but you know that one of the researchers said, quote, it just felt like the next the obvious next step, and I worry about you know, just the kind of Jurassic Park thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, like you thought so hard of out like if you could, you never thought about if you should.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, yep, I see people passing some of the quotes around from the AI swarm and saying life finds a way. When their mustage message board got shut down, they created a new one. They didn't have internet access, but they figured out some convoluted way to be able to gain that access to go and find what they wanted to find in terms of the testing results. Yeah, very very troubling.
Speaker 7: So it's a beautiful story of the underdog.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, say one more thing on the opening eye. So if a bunch of human employees did what they were doing, like you were training them onboarding new engineers, and they were all cheating and like helping each other out, and you discovered the message board they were using, would you like not fire the employees and then try and figure out what went wrong in the recruitment process, which they'd seem to not really do here. And then not only that, they didn't monitor what the employees were doing going forward. And it's even worse because human employees can talk to each other in real life or they can talk on like their personal phones, but these AI models, like the way they work. Every single thing they do is logged automatically, right, Like you can see every single tool call, every single prompt and response, every single like reasoning step. And they didn't know that they recreated the message board until Hugging Phase published this, And when they did, Opening Eye went to hugging Pace and were like, oh, were we affected by the hack as well?
Speaker 5: Like they had no clue.
Speaker 8: It's just like so mind blowing, Like if they monitored a single one of them, they would have caught the message board again right away.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Crazy Well, And to be honest with you, though, Garrison, at one of these tech companies, if you did have a band of employees that did something like that was devious but extraordinary.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure they would fire those employees. I think they give them a raise.
Speaker 2: I mean, And that's part of the problem is these guys don't think that the law law applies to They think they're above government. They think they're above the law. At a normal company, yes, those people will get fired at you know, you know, under Elon Musk or Sam Altman or you know, any of these companies. I'm not sure they would. I think that'd be Oh my god, they're so smart they're so creative, they think outside the box. So I think that's you know, part of the danger of interesting all of our future in the hands of these, you know, very disturbing set of people.
Speaker 7: Agree you fast and break things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, indeed exactly, Garrison, thank you so much. As always, everybody, go and pre order the book. It is called obsolete. Let's see it one more time. There it is. It's going to be even more gorgeous when it finally when it eventually hits the shelves for real. Garrison, always really appreciate your ability to explain these things.
Speaker 3: It's truly invaluable.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you so much. This is super fun pleasure.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 4: Joining us today is going to be Matt Little, who is running in Minnesota's second district. Over at drop Site News. We're going to have an article later today, Hopefully it'll be up by the time this interview goes live on YouTube, Spotify and wherever else you're watching it about the surge of super pac money that has come in over the last couple of months.
Speaker 5: This group three P fourteen Action, which.
Speaker 4: As people know, you know, ostensibly supports doctors and scientists, but has been known in the past to be a kind of front pack for a pack. They've jumped in the race on behalf of his opponent, Matt Klein, spending more than a million dollars, and then three other super packs called EDW Action, Pro Choice Majority, and Women Vote which is linked to Emily's list. All of those those organizations have also gotten kind of a pack and DMFI money and sometimes move it into particular races, but not all races.
Speaker 5: Gets very confusing.
Speaker 4: They're supporting a third opponent of Matt Little's in the race. We'll have the details in the article. He's running to place Angie Craig, who is running for Senate against Peggy Flannagan. That that election is on is on Tuesday. So Matt Little, thanks for thanks for being here. Yeah, thanks for having me. And you are not wrong.
Speaker 9: It is deeply complicated, you know, even for people that follow this stuff closely. And I don't know if you were able to see, but even yesterday there was another one point two million dollars add by by three one four. So now Matt Clein's over two million in the last week in terms of advice.
Speaker 5: That is very interesting.
Speaker 4: That is that is an unusual amount of money for this this pack, this Pack three fourteen, they spent against Chris rap in Philadelphia, well over a million dollars. But typically they either don't spend anything at all, like they endorsed Abdullah Sayad, who was himself obviously a doctor, but then they didn't spend as far as I know, like a penny to support him, right we could.
Speaker 9: Find Yeah, all we could find is they you know, they sent a pack contribution, but they didn't know outside spending, which again is odd. This is one of the if not the highest profile primary in the country and spend zero dollars And now here we are in kind of a sleepy suburban Minnesota congressional race where we've flown under the radar this entire time. The only time we've gotten any media attention is in the last week and a half. And so it is a weird juxtaposition which kind of makes it more obvious as to what's happening.
Speaker 5: And now, really.
Speaker 4: Michael Bloomberg real quickly, Michael Bloomberg made a two point five million dollar donation to this three fourteen action. Meanwhile, his his group, every Town for Gun Safety, is endorsing a different opponent.
Speaker 5: Berg.
Speaker 4: So if it is Bloomberg money, and Bloomberg is competing against himself with two separate candidates in the same race, and meol you have David.
Speaker 5: Hoggs support with leaders we deserve.
Speaker 4: So there's gun safety money behind every candidate and possibly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's interesting. You know, obviously, with the level of money he has, I think it's probably unavoidable that he ends up conflicting with him himself when he give this many organizations, probably unstable. But you know, I don't think. I don't think this money that's coming into the races Bloomberg money. I you know, I don't think he's spending every dollar he's given to that organization on Matt Klin.
Speaker 5: That would be very weird.
Speaker 9: If he was.
Speaker 6: Let's also bring in this this brand new New York Times report from Shane Goldmalcher which in which Third Way announces a new fifteen million dollar campaign to quote discredit democratic socialism between now and twenty twenty eight. This is a full court press against democratic socialism with money and messaging, and messaging that has been shaped and influenced by money. And so, Matt, you mentioned the last week and a half. Obviously what happened in Michigan has centrists really nervous. And on the other hand, it has some people thinking, well, what can we like, you know, Abdulla said, is the nominee.
Speaker 7: Now, so what can we do? What can we learn?
Speaker 6: Those are few and far between, obviously the panickers. But I'm curious for you on the ground just talking to voters, like money aside, although I'm curious about that too, but just talking to voters, are you hearing the same panic about oh my gosh, democratic socialism we're going to be We've become the Soviet Union in three months.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's panic, you know. And to be clear, I'm a dfler through and through of a dfler since I was fourteen. I don't think there's widespread panic whatsoever. I think that that's a talking point to like create a rift within the party. There's certainly people that have their lanes where they have this policy and they prefer incrementalism versus jumping to and fighting for the big thing. And that's understandable and and uh, but I think in our race specifically, we've been able to put together both both parts of the party, you know, because we have this DFL endorsement process that's really different than the rest of the country. And so when you when we were walking through that process, we had more folks that were in caucuses for Matt Little and Andy Craig and uh and more people in causes stuff from Matt Little on Flanagan than the other two campaigns combined. And I think that's because it's not just what issues you're running on, it's definitely how you're saying it, why you're fighting for it. It's it's the authenticity stream. And I think for better words, you know, I I must admit I'm kind of a one trick pony. I'm pretty brash, and I talk about my politics of being very personal and I fight, you know, and sometimes I fight when it's not necessary, but I fight. And so like that's my style and I can't change that. I won't change that. And so I but I think in this moment that has appealed to people in a way it might not have.
Speaker 6: So this also, this also reminds me of a new another is a new post story.
Speaker 7: Matt can put this up on the screen.
Speaker 6: You said the word authenticity, and we're learning now that Gavin Newsom's pack is trying to help elect Democrats and quote spread the gospel of Newsom by training supporters to implant his talking points into family text chats, alumni, facebook groups, other places where politics isn't typically discussed. But you know what this reminds me of, actually though, is that right now it's hilarious, But right now people are struggling to like not have these scripted influencers Like Tom Steyer got hit with that and so he's trying to find He's scrambling to find a new way, and it sounds like on the ground, probably the best way to deal with this is just the good old fashioned art of talking to people, like talking to human beings.
Speaker 9: It's not rocket science, you know. I That's what I've said, because you know, I've been in politics a long time. A ton of people come to me when they're running their first race and they say, well, what should I do? Should I do this and this and this? And I was like, you have to uncomplicate this, you know, a campaign. A campaign is about talking to people. That's it. That's it. There's various forms and avenues and ways to do that, but that is all it is. And so it does feel a little weird to talk about it. It's like telling someone you're humble you know, to talk about authenticity and yourself. So I feel a little uncomfortable doing that, but I've said this entire campaign just like speak from your heart and let it rip and tell people why, like talk about talk about why you actually believe that related to your own life, because I just think people want to know why you're fighting so hard. And so if you go on there and you do the I support better healthcare and better education, and there's just there's no weight to it, there's no gravitas, there's no emotion to it. It just falls so flat. And I really think that's been the Democrat's problem the last you know, three cycles. We kind of have these these big possey platforms. Trump is bad, but we're not actually saying, like why why we're fighting for a specific thing. And I think that's that I guess to me that I think that's why we've been so successful in this.
Speaker 4: And the poll there were two poles released, one by mac Klein and one by yourself back in May. Both had you up by a pretty substantial amount. But that's before the millions of dollars has flooded in. What the what have the ads been like and how are you feeling it on the ground, like are people asking you about what they're seeing or like, what's do you think? It's been enough to make this a pretty close race?
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 9: You know, I keep joking like we're about to find out, you know, we're so close that my prediction is is probably as less value than to that. Yeah. But you know, the the initial question we got about I would say about three weeks ago when this all really started popping off, is people are like, I'm seeing all those ads, like where are they getting the money? And they're like, where are your ads? And I was like, well, we don't. We have not sold out, and so we we you know, we have mail, we have a huge ground game, and now we're just up on We have some outside spen too, just in the last week, if I'm timing that right.
Speaker 4: From American from American Priorities, right, yeah, and the Congressional Progressive Caucus, and then we had a little bit, yeah, we had a little bit from nurses too, and then me A Care for All has has a has a bye too.
Speaker 9: But the biggest question was from folks was like when are you going to be on TV? That was the question that we got over and over and over again. And so ah, you know, I think the impact it obviously has a huge impact on name recognition that level of money, But I think the biggest problem they're having is is what I just talked about. It's it's messaging without emotion. It's depersonalized, it's removed. I think it's generic and not specific to this race or the specific candidates. So in terms of its persuasive value, I am doubtful. But our numbers on the ground continue to remain good, and you just Minnesota's smauna that it's really hard to buy votes.
Speaker 4: The way that it's unfolding in the last couple of weeks is really fascinating for kind of people who are kind of campaign walks, because because you have this three person race and you don't have rank choice voting, it becomes this zero sum competition. And so you've had maybe over a million plus come in support the third place candidate, who is Berg, who is also fairly progressive, has been also been critical of Israel, not quite to the same degree.
Speaker 5: But when you're when you're.
Speaker 4: Watching the spending, you're like, well, I assume people who have a million dollars don't want to just waste a million dollars for no reason, and why are they burning it on a third place candidate who you know it doesn't seem to be any reason to think that she's actually going to win, unless you think, oh, this is this is a zero some competition. If you can pull votes away from the other person in the progressive lane, then you're actually not spending it to support that person. You're spending it to support the person who, you know, Matt Klein was the pro Israel candidate. And then you very quickly you get to a place where like this is not democracy, Like like what whatever this is? It's it's not it's not people just coming to the polls and casting their casting their preferences and sending a representative to Washington. How like, how how has the media been covering this this bizarre kind of influx of money?
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks Sam.
Speaker 9: I think that thing that's lost in the fact that we're only getting attention to this race in the last few weeks is that when Representative Burke Lnster campaign, and for eight months of her campaign she was campaigning as a centrist, she opened with public option. Her and Matt Klein agreed on public option. In a couple debates, she said nothing at all about Gaza whatsoever until two days before we had a screening for a pretty powerful political group here that's a multi faith coalition, she said nothing whatsoever. And she's also pro data centers. She voted for hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks for data centers here in Minnesota to attract them to come here. And it's a sales tax break of thirty five years. So the only time she's become progressive is in the last month and a half, which is for a reason, right, she's now in the race to steal votes from me. And the next part here is where you start to sound crazy. And I think that's by design, because we win the DFL endorsement on May nine. On May thirteen, DMFI Democratic Majority for Israel gives five hundred thousand dollars to women vote. Just four days after that, DMFI has endorsed Klein. Okay, and then it gets even weirder. On May twentieth, udp apex Pack gives four hundred thousand dollars to elect Democratic women and they had given six hundred thousand dollars already the month before. And then on May twenty first, literally the day after they transferred six hundred thousand dollars to Pro Choice Majority, and all three of those are sending significant amounts on Representative Bird and they announced that spending just twenty days after all these transfers, and so it's very clear to me they're running the same strategy they've run before, which is convert someone the progressive light person to I mean literally copying our language, literally some of its verbatim. In the stump speeches and on the website, they copied all their stuff, and they're trying to say she's the progressive and I'm the fake press, right, so they're stealing votes that way. And then we predicted this all of a sudden last two weeks, two million dollars from that kind their actual campaign.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: If that makes a sound crazy, so be it. But those are the facts, you know, And.
Speaker 4: All this is in our drop site report and it's all in the FEC records like you can. You can trace the money, but publicly it does it does make you seem a little crazy when you're following the money because and then and then they move it from you know, DMFI or apax pack to EDW Action, and then they move it from there to a sister pack pro choice majority.
Speaker 5: Then they start spending and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, why are they moving it from one rights packed to a separate one before they spend it. And the only answer can be two, just make it seem that much crazier and harder to follow.
Speaker 9: Right, and then you know, okay, so let's say none of that's clear. Let's say all that is opaque and we can't really understand that, and we can't really tie that to Berg and et cetera, et cetera. We have called on Representative Berg to say to say to her packs publicly, stop taking a PAC money. I don't want you to take a PAC money. And if you continue to take APAC money, I'm going to reject your endorsement and give the money back. We have called on her to do that, and no response whatsoever. So I just think, if you're going to be real about this and if you're going to stick to your principles and values, actually do that. But don't don't attack me for coming up with conspiracy theories, which they've done when they have not at all answered any of the actual facts we put out there with primary sources. They just want to gloss over it because they know exactly what's happening.
Speaker 6: That's amazing to orchestrate this convoluted funding scheme and then use it as a way to then also call you a conspiracy.
Speaker 9: Theorist, Like that's really correct. I mean, staff sense of this to me yesterday. But on one of our tweets, Representative Berg's campaign manager put the like Charlie, you know from Charlie kell me like that, and it's like they would rather do that and meme it than actually I answer the facts because they know we're right and they know what they've done. They've compromised themselves and their principles in order to try and win an election. And I that's not the type of person we need to go to d C. Because if you're going to compromise it during the campaign, my goodness, you're going to compromise it when you get to DC.
Speaker 4: And I think the point you made earlier, And in a second, i'll play Berg's video that she put out after we so we reached out to Berg for comment on this, and afterwards she put a video out which goes to your point. But I think that the point you're making earlier is very important, and that is that has been the thing that we're asking candidates now, it's like, okay, you're saying, and let's say this organization says that this specific chunk of half a million dollars from a pack or a million dollars from APAC it was spent in a different race. Don't worry, it was not spent in this race. That is still a pack that is being massively funded and subsidized by a pack which is defending and supporting US support for a genocide Israel. So it is not too much to ask, well, do you then denounce this pack support? And so far you're right, we're not. We're not hearing any of that. Instead, let me here, let me play this this response.
Speaker 10: From I tried to keep this race positive. I really did, But Matt Little has come on here in lied about me.
Speaker 3: So let's get a few things straight.
Speaker 10: Number one, I don't take a pack money, I never have and I never will. I fully believe what is happening in Gaza is a genocide, and I have called for an end to all weapons sales to Israel. Number two, and Citizens United took a look at this race and decided I was the best candidate to fight to get corporate money and dark money out of politics. And last, I'm proud as a Union leader to continue to fight for our hard working families. That's why I have the support of Labor and Citizens United, every Town for Gun Safety, organizations that fight for reproductive freedom, and organizations that work to elect pro choice women to Congress. That little night have to lie in this race, but I don't. That's why I'm focused on what really matters, fighting for our hard working families across this district, across Minnesota and across this country.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the line there that she had about posing all weapons transfers to Israel, I wasn't able to find her previously like that seemed to be an advancement of her previous position. But your response to her, yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, the advancement of her position is the same thing that's happened this entire race. Is we stake out ground and then one and a half to two months later they adopted ground. And that's another iteration of that happening right now. I think the idea that they've kept it positive is humorous to me. Every time we have brought up a policy vote or facts on the ground, they have called me a liar, you can actually go google that. They've called me a liar so many times throughout this campaign. So we said she voted for one hundreds of million dollars in tax breaks for data centers. She called me a liar. We've produced the vote. We've said she voted to allow discrimination by private insurers here in Minnesota for metagap coverage, that I was a liar, and we produced a vote, we said we had fifty eight percent of the delegates for the endorsement process, and her own campaign menaitor said I have a loose relationship with the truth. That was her quote, and then we went on to win with sixty three percent the vote. So this is a pattern of what they do on that campaign. Anytime they don't want to face the facts or argue the actual details that we produced, they just called me a liar, which is that's only fine. I mean, they have to do that. But again, if she is serious about this, call on your packs to stop picking A PAC money and if they don't reject their endorsement and give the money back, otherwise you are you are a benefactor of this a PAC money when I was, and this idea that this money is just for this race, and this money is just for that race is absurd. You know, when I was the mayor, you send out those annual budget things where you do a percentage of every dollar, like what percentage of your dollar goes to X, Y and z, And so it'd be thirty percent to the police station, you know, ten percent the fire hires, right, And so that's really how this goes, Right. You are benefiting from those dollars and you don't want to admit it, and you don't want to confront the fact that you have compromised your principles to try and win an election for yourself. And so instead of all that, you call me a liar. And that's fine. They've been doing that for nine months and it hasn't landed.
Speaker 5: All. Am we anything else?
Speaker 11: No, that's so interesting, fascinating race, yea fascinating to be a part of, you know, because you read about it in the abstract, but then it's like, oh, you're in it now, so you.
Speaker 7: Read about it in a Ryan Grimm book and then you live it.
Speaker 9: Wow. Here I am on on on the podcast. It's it's it's wild And just so I can get this on the record, we have a guy in our staff, Peter Solderberg. This is his favorite show. I just want to get that on the record.
Speaker 5: Peter shout out to Peter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you. That'll mean a lot to him.
Speaker 4: I got to ask ask Peter is he a premium sub though, well, he will be tomorrow if he is.
Speaker 5: Excellent.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he's enjoying the newsletter though. We'll say say a lot to Peter. We we very much appreciate it. And uh, the election is on this coming Tuesday. This is Tuesday, Minnesota, Minnesota second district. We'll stay in touch, all right, Yeah, thanks.
Speaker 9: For having me on.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Thanks for se y'all.
Speaker 7: Everyone. Is that time of the week where we do AMA.
Speaker 6: These are from our premium subscribers and we appreciate at Breakingpoints. Dot com is where you can go to get a premium subscription. You get the full version of the new newsletter, the full version of the show uninterrupted in your inbox every day early. So producer Mac is going to toss up some AMA questions as we go here.
Speaker 7: Mac hit us, what do you got.
Speaker 9: For Ryan?
Speaker 6: Why is Rocana so hated by congressional Democrats? That one comes from Barbara Glassman, what's say you Ryan Gram.
Speaker 4: You know, the number one attribute that is valued by House Democrats is caucus loyalty, and they correctly do not feel that Rokana has caucus loyalty.
Speaker 5: And you know, and.
Speaker 4: Also he he is willing to even though kind of aocgut so much attention for you know, beating Joe Crowley in twenty eighteen, and then and then she endorsed its decent number of primary challengers against incumbents in twenty twenty. Roe has kept doing that. And even if you like, I think shreth Thanadar is a counter example where you are allowed to endorse against him because he's such a ridiculous figure. Otherwise you're just no matter what, you're not allowed to endorse against your opponents.
Speaker 5: You're not supposed to criticize the party leader.
Speaker 4: You're not supposed to criticize the party chairs, the party's direction. You're you're not You're just not supposed to do any of those things.
Speaker 6: That to me feels like a Pelosi. Uh norm that was sent is that downstream of Pelosi?
Speaker 4: No, that's it's a bigger this would have been this was set in the first con Continental Congress. Probably well, Democratic people for big Club it's a big and if you're in it, be in it.
Speaker 5: And if you're not.
Speaker 6: People forget that when Newt Gingrich came in with the Revolution, Democrats had held the House for forty years, it was an extremely like close club. It's almost like mafia esque. It's just that they have such power, like they're used to wielding power in that way.
Speaker 7: I suppose I have.
Speaker 4: Where's the book I'm reading the Class of seventy four right now? And wow, the which by John Lawrence, which is who was one of Pelosi's top aides, who was at an aid in seventy four. Seventy four is the Watergate babies, when you had scores of freshmen come in and those freshmen took on the old bulls, they took on the Dixiecrats, they reshaped the house. They that's the Pelosi generation basically. And Pelosi came in the eighties, but like when she was at the height of her power, like this class of seventy four was still still like literally when I started covering Congress, the Class of seventy four was still a dominant power structure in the House. And even though they came in and actually probably because they came in as these insurgents who burned the house to the ground and reshaped it in their image. They were always been on the lookout for somebody to do that to them, and it created this paranoid culture of required solidarity. And Roe just doesn't do that right.
Speaker 6: And that's why I think on the House side, at least Republicans were able to break through leadership with the Tea Party earlier. Just that culture wasn't the same in the conference. Oh man, if you're listening to this, Ryan grim is mobile. He's gone to a shelf there it is Class of seventy four. It's a beautiful cover too. Yeah, some good book covers there.
Speaker 9: Mac.
Speaker 7: What else we get.
Speaker 6: From Jake who says Jake Mogol who says, does the team agree that a dark truth of wars that usually a renaissance of music follows? If so, where's our counterculture of the now or is it being suppressed?
Speaker 7: Jesse wells?
Speaker 5: Jesse Wells, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: The problem is you need a monoculture to have a counterculture exactly. And and because everybody lives in their own algorithmic culture, we have subculture. We have endless just subcultures. So how do you, how do you have a counter without a mono. There's nothing to counter.
Speaker 6: But it's actually amazing to watch Jesse just blow up because it was I think it's TikTok. I've seen him on Instagram. I first saw him on Instagram rules not on TikTok. But that's the algorithm picking something up, and you can't suppress you can't totally suppress it. If something goes megaviral, then it does become not a monoculture, but a powerful subculture, an influential subculture where a lot of people but not every person. It's not the same as having like I don't know the doors, because charts don't exist in the same way that they used to. Like it's all apples and oranges with the time when there was a real monoculture.
Speaker 7: So that's an interesting point.
Speaker 6: You just I guess you'll just have to look for the subculture that is counter to the other subcultures.
Speaker 5: Right, and you have to ask somebody else.
Speaker 4: I'm like a deeply uncool person, nowhere near like the actual countercultures of today. Like it's not I'm not the one who's going to have any clue what's going on.
Speaker 6: Garov Malik says for Crystal and Ryan, does Bernie being a liberal Zionist make him fail you were litmus test? I know his positions keep keeps evolving, and he's using his political capital to get DSA elected, But he says nothing essentially should change once Netanya, who is out and wants a two state solution. Only would you guys apply that critical ons to him that you'd apply to an Adam Smith or Dean Phillips.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I don't have a litmus test, like who cares what I think. I'm out here to report to you what's going on in the world and not tell you, like anything anything more beyond that. You know, Bernie also has a very particular life trajectory like his You know, his family was h he had had a lot of family killed in the Holocaust. He was he was raised, you know, steeped in that culture he is. I've i've I've reported critically on his blind spot when it comes to Israeli abuses for for a very long time, like well over a decade, Like it is has been apparent to anybody who has covered Bernie.
Speaker 5: I think it was like twenty ten or something.
Speaker 4: I remember writing about a town hall he had in Vermont, where he was getting pushed on whatever latest crime Israel had carried out, and he just yells back at this Vermont audience like what do you want me to do? Like just getting very cranky, angry Burnie, and it's just like this, this is like who he's always been. I also think there's been a significant evolution from October November of twenty twenty three to where he is today. It has by no means been at the pace that his critics have wanted it to come. But he's nowhere near Adam Smith and you know whoever else the person asked there, like I think.
Speaker 5: He's he's he he doesn't quite.
Speaker 4: He doesn't do as much the tick that he used to do of the net Yahoo government like he's he's starting to he's starting to treat kind of the Israeli government more more honestly than that.
Speaker 6: It's kind of an impossible counterfactual. But I don't know how much of this would have ever happened without his twenty sixteen run. And by this I mean the kind of left populism.
Speaker 7: Yeah that was.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't know what you think of that, Ryan, but it's it's hard to take that away from him if you're somebody who you know is frustrated with his pace of change, But then you look at the change that he kind of ushered in himself, even if it hasn't kept up with his personal take.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. It's there was there. That energy was there.
Speaker 4: It was in occupy, it was behind Elizabeth Warren, then he industry, and then he grabbed it. If he hadn't done it and Hillary loses to Trump, there still would have been that burst of energy where it would have gone.
Speaker 5: Is a good question. Yeah, it's it's it's an interesting counterfactual.
Speaker 7: Well what else we got here?
Speaker 9: Max?
Speaker 7: I think we got one more.
Speaker 6: Obie Wood's the third says, with everything going on in the economy and young people struggling, they get by. I think it is time for radical solutions. What do you think about suspending federal income taxes for Americans under thirty?
Speaker 7: I'd love to hear.
Speaker 6: Sager's take on this. I'd love to hear Soager's take on this. I would just suspend federal income tax period. That would be my take, But.
Speaker 7: I don't think Ryan would support that.
Speaker 4: But that's I don't know what I would what I what I would support is if if you want to get outside the box, it kind of get radical, say like suspend all federal income taxes for and you can even send up pretty high anybody making less than say one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 7: All, yeah, you can actually go higher than that.
Speaker 4: And go and then even go higher and then hit a wealth tax. Implement a wealth tax for anybody making the UK they're looking at ten million in in France they looked at like one hundred million euro big a fifty million what like something where no normal person like is anywhere near it. But a two percent wealth tax on fortunes of fifty million dollars and up and then use that wipe out betteral income tax. And now you have to phase it in or else you get like you'd get runaway inflation in a way that would be kinter productive to working people because you'd get your tax money back and have to pay it for fifteen dollars eggs. So you have to engineer it, you know, in the right way. But yes, what the radical thing you have to do is our entire lives. We've been talking about the rich getting richer as if it's just a natural fact the rich need to get poorer because the rich getting richer are making us all poorer.
Speaker 6: Well, I was going to say, I have no problem with the rich getting richer as long as it's an actual rising tide lifting all boats.
Speaker 5: Right, and we haven't had a rising tide for two decades. That it's not tide.
Speaker 4: The tide in Western economies is like one to two percent. Yeah, bres wealth increase for the point one percent is like ten to fifteen to twenty percent every year.
Speaker 5: So that means it has to come from somewhere. It's coming from you.
Speaker 6: It should come from honestly, like it should come from corporations. And it's insane to see like you could if you.
Speaker 5: Do the math, he's coming from people, right, right, But you.
Speaker 6: Could tax understanding, like you could tax billionaires of one hundred percent and fund of the government for what like a couple of weeks or a couple of months on it. I forget what the math is, but it's pretty bleak.
Speaker 4: So obviously now I think you can do it.
Speaker 5: The point let's see point what a point one percent own.
Speaker 7: Now, either way, it's not like a sustainable.
Speaker 4: Well it is sustainable because if you reinvest that money in the middle class, then the middle class starts to then resustain an economy.
Speaker 5: You don't need to constantly go back and get the.
Speaker 4: All right, the net worth owned by the point one percent about twenty five trillion.
Speaker 6: Oh my lord, they could pay off the They could pay off the entire debt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the entire actually barely what's it? What's the GDP of the US?
Speaker 6: Thirty Actually, I think that that doesn't even come close GDP.
Speaker 4: The entire GDP of the US is thirty two trillion. So the zero point one percent in the US are now roughly own roughly equivalent to the entire production of the of the economy.
Speaker 7: The debt is at.
Speaker 6: Forty trillion, So our GDP is what what did you say.
Speaker 5: The already two trillion?
Speaker 7: Holy, it's just so incredibly.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: Taxes, it's not, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not as bleak as you think in the sense in this sense like, so, imagine you have a five hundred thousand dollars mortgage and you make one hundred thousand dollars a year, Right, that's a five x debt to revenue, and we're at a roughly one x debt to GDP. So as long as our economy keeps growing and our tax revenues stay steady, we can pay. We can handle that debt service. But the problem is that the assets held by the very rich keep growing and they're not paying any taxes, So that puts a higher and higher burden on everybody else to handle that debt.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not a good system.
Speaker 6: It's it's fine from flat tax person, I think.
Speaker 5: Taxis I mean, I would start.
Speaker 4: I'd be happy to start with the flat tax if it meant that the zero point one percent were actually paying the same as everybody else, Right.
Speaker 7: And that's the benefit of having it. So's you don't have.
Speaker 5: You would need, but you would need, you would need a wealth tax to get to that.
Speaker 7: They they should should certainly be paying more, there's no question about that.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Cooked.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, Ryan says, we're not cooked. Don't worry about it. If we find out a way to.
Speaker 5: Not cooked yet. We're not cooked yet, we're still.
Speaker 6: Fast reinvest Yeah, I agree with all right, we can we can leave it there for I was gonna say it was bleak, but Ryan says, once again, it's not bleaking.
Speaker 7: It's not grim.
Speaker 5: That's right, all.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, thanks everyone for tuning in. Hope you enjoyed the show today, Appreciate the A m A.
Speaker 7: Questions. Hope you I'll have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: We will be here if there's any breaking news, particularly on the warfront. So thanks and we'll see you back here soon