Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: Is America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 2: This is the Daily Joke with your Home's Ronny fish Hook.
Speaker 4: We got Sean much to talk about tonight, Trump and Kamala having a garbage fight. R K. Junior is your new primary care doctor, and we find out why JD. Vance is the most charismatic man alive. So let's get into the last week of indecision. Twenty twenty four. Election day is less than a week away, so it's time for the candidates to offer the closing arguments. Donald Trump held a rally at Madison Square, got in the attack Puerto Rican's Black jewsh women, Asians, the moments, immigrants, and last night Kamala Harris went in a different direction, with the.
Speaker 1: White House illuminated behind her and in front of seventy five thousand supporters, Vice President Harris delivered for closing message America.
Speaker 5: For too long we have been consumed with too much division, chaos, and mutual distrust. And it can be easy then to forget a simple truth.
Speaker 6: It doesn't have to be this way. It doesn't have to be this way.
Speaker 5: It is time to stop pointing figures. We have to stop pointing fingers and start locking arms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fuck you fingers, it's arm time. That was Kamala's closing arguments. Stop all the finger pointing, you babies, and heal the divisions like empathy adults. Now time for her to sit back and let the positive vibes emanate across the nation.
Speaker 2: President Biden makes comments about Trump's supporters, calling them garbage.
Speaker 7: Joe Biden's garbage gaff and a political headache for Vice President Kamala Harris.
Speaker 8: It has completely changed the narrative from where it was twenty four hours ago. He was clearly disparaging a whole group of people, more than half of this nation.
Speaker 7: I do not even think during the American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln called the people the Confederacy garbage.
Speaker 4: Wait, hang on, Joe Biden is still the president, and what he's worse than a civil war? What the hell is going on? I mean, calling Trump supporters garbage right before the election feels like a crazy thing to say, even if you believe that. I mean, just wait six more days, man, I want to know what did he actually say?
Speaker 9: Just the other day, a speaker at his rally called Puerto Rico floating out of garbage. The only garbage I see floating down there is his supporters, his his his demonizational team is unconstable, and it's on American.
Speaker 4: Okay. I guess it's unclear if he's calling Trump supporters garbage or just the guy who called Puerto Rico garbage garbage. I don't know. Maybe maybe more context will give us some more clarity. What do you say just before this, Well, let me.
Speaker 9: Tell you some I don't. I don't know the Puerto rican that I know, or Puerto Rico where I'm in my home state of Delaware.
Speaker 4: Oh. I see, this guy is too old and his brain is a floating poll of garbage. Of course, now the Dems don't want to admit that the president of the United States should not be using a computer on supervised, so they went with this explanation.
Speaker 7: The White House very quickly tried to argue that when he used the word supporters, he wasn't talking about supporters writ large, but that there was an apostrophe in there that is what is included in the official transcript. They tried to argue that he was specifically referencing the comments from that comedian at the Madison Square Garden rally on Sunday.
Speaker 4: That's right, in the last week of the campaign, Republicans are calling for a roundup of immigrants and Democrats are like, you have to put the apostrophe in the right place. This election is really coming down to Nazis versus grammar Nazis. And if Democrats are relying on Americans to understand how apostrophes work, then this election is because have you ever seen a sign outside of ba I mean, they basically use apostrophe to mean here comes an ask. And look the Republicans. Republicans are not accepting any of these excuses because they don't know what an apostrophe is and they think it's intentional that Biden called them garbage. And they could not be more excited because Republicans have been under fire for their garbage thing and now they're like, yes, Biden's garbage thing cancels out our garbage things, and now we're back to neutral. I mean, just look how excited the Macao Rubio was when he got to interrupt a Trump rally to tell Trump the news.
Speaker 9: All right, well, I wasn't gonna say anything, but I have breaking news.
Speaker 4: For you, mister president.
Speaker 3: You may not have heard this.
Speaker 9: Just moments ago, Joe Biden stated that our supporters are garbage.
Speaker 4: Look how excited Rubio is. Everybody, everybody, everybody, Look, I'm great new.
Speaker 10: We our garbage bright birdugs.
Speaker 5: Come on.
Speaker 4: I mean Rubio delivered that news like he was announcing the wars over. And you can tell how excited Trump is because his face that full orange of Look this fort Trump in such a good mood that he briefly found religion.
Speaker 11: That's what it says.
Speaker 6: That's what it says.
Speaker 4: But he doesn't know.
Speaker 9: You have to please forgive him, Please forgive him, for.
Speaker 10: He not knoweth what he said.
Speaker 4: He not knoweth what he said. Someone's been reading an Instagram quote about the Bible. I mean, Trump should speak like this more. It makes him sound kind of wise, like thou Art eating thy cats and thou Art eating thy dog dogs. Now, obviously Republicans are happy to hit Democrats with this Biden gaff and obviously the media is excited to cover a garbage fight. And I guess that's what we're going to talk about for the last week of the election. And that's fine because it's not like anyone said anything that might have a bigger impact on our lives.
Speaker 12: The key that I think, i'm you know, the President Trump has promised me is is control of the public health agencies, which are HHS in IT sub agencies, CDC, FDA, and i AH and a few others, and then also the USDA, which is which you know is key to making America healthy.
Speaker 4: Great. That sounds like the healthiest man in America.
Speaker 12: Everybody, you two can sound like less when indraws.
Speaker 4: To be fair, rfk Junr is actually pretty healthy. I mean he's seventy years old, and that's like eight hundred and fifty and Kennedy years. But still, how is this guy gonna be in charge of food quality? I mean, they found a dead warm in his brain, so even his skull can get a higher rating than a c. Of all the characters in this election, this guy is the scariest because he doesn't believe in vaccines or pasteurizing milk. He thinks antidepressants caused school shootings and that COVID was engineered to not affect Jews, and he thinks chemicals in the water make kids trance. And Trump is gonna put him in charge of all the health and food and medicine. I mean, Sureley Trump will at least put some limits on what he can do, right, Like, Donald, You're not gonna just let this guy go wild, are you. I'm gonna let him go wild on health.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna let him go wild on the food.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna let him.
Speaker 12: Go wild on medicines.
Speaker 4: Wait, how are you gonna let him go wild on medicine? Like, well, you're gonna let him dip his balls in the cough syrup.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: For more on what RFK could do in a Trump presidency, let's go live to CDC headquarters with Jordan Klepperan Jordan' why is the media paying attention to Joe Biden's gaffes when RFK running the CDC sounds like a much bigger deal? Good question, Ronnie.
Speaker 8: It's because focusing on institutions like the CDC is what we in the media call boring. No one wants to hear the overly complex details about how RFK is going to unvaccinate people by clamping down on their arms and sucking out their injections like it's a snake bite.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, would that would that even work? Look, you're getting lost in the weeds, Ronnie.
Speaker 8: The real scoop is that this morning, Joe Biden said he hopes Kamala becomes President of the United States.
Speaker 3: President.
Speaker 6: Don't you forget it, mag what is going on here? Well?
Speaker 8: I promise to get to the bottom of it in my new primetime special All the President's Men.
Speaker 4: Where were Jordan?
Speaker 6: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Could we go back to What was that thing you said about RFK? I'm doing my vaccination.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I zoned out.
Speaker 8: It was something about summoning the power of the US military to go door to door and YadA, YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Militar military what you mean RFK will have access to like tanks and shit. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I didn't ask too many follow ups because there's so much Joe Biden news coming out like this afternoon, Biden said, we need to respect the will of the voters. The voters what this guy is all in for the one percent?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jordan, I mean it's obvious that he meant the voters.
Speaker 8: Ooh, controversy. Now we're really getting into it. We'll find out more in my two part special Voter Die Well, Democracy Sinkers.
Speaker 4: Well Okay, Okay, Johna, No one cares about these gas or your dump specials. Okay, how about the issues that are gonna affect day to day life. RFK Junior could be in charge of like school lunches.
Speaker 8: True, true, Although I wouldn't worry too much about that. RFK told me that instead of school lunch, kids will forage for bear meat in Central Park.
Speaker 4: Okay. That sounds incredibly unhealthy.
Speaker 8: If you find a bad bear.
Speaker 4: Sure, Okay, Okay, do you talk about how he was going to implement this.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's not my job to ask it is. You're the media, is literally the one thing you're supposed to do. Okay, Stop getting distracted by all this meaningless Biden shit and focus on informing the people on the issues that matter.
Speaker 8: Wow, hard truth, Rodney, hard truths.
Speaker 4: You know you're right.
Speaker 8: I need to focus more on truly informing the public, and I'll do so in my new three part mini series, a complex look at rfkse history of intervention within the medical system, undermining public trust in our institutions while paving the way for the current national anti science movement.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that sounds a little boring.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does, doesn't it?
Speaker 6: Forget it?
Speaker 8: Check out my twelve part retrospective on that one time Biden mispronounced as scrotum holds in your court an American story.
Speaker 13: All right, got bleck the media got and clap everybody. When we come back, we'll find out how Jdvan dot co Charming's don't go away?
Speaker 4: Oh, welcome back to the Daily Show. If that's one thing we've learned from this campaign is that JD. Vance is the most charismatic man alive. But how do you get that way? Well, good news, we found the man responsible.
Speaker 3: Look what I was basically saying is that we're effectively run in this country via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies.
Speaker 11: If there's one skill every politician needs, it's being likable.
Speaker 6: I mean, here's the beginnings.
Speaker 7: You okay, okays?
Speaker 11: And the truth is most politicians aren't born with that level of charisma. They learn it from me.
Speaker 1: From me to learn that.
Speaker 11: My name is Nathaniel Gordon, and I teach JD. Vance how to be likable and.
Speaker 4: Not off putting.
Speaker 6: Did you say something?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 14: Good?
Speaker 11: All of America's most beloved politicians learned how to be charming from me.
Speaker 4: Of course, my.
Speaker 11: Star pupil is jd seen here wearing a T shirt.
Speaker 4: And a pool. That was my idea.
Speaker 11: It's like I always say, if you're going in the pool, shirt on, you fool. If you're going to the movies, shirt off.
Speaker 14: It's groovy, it's not illegal.
Speaker 11: Jendy and I have worked on many likability techniques, for example, using humor.
Speaker 4: Democrats say that it is racist to believe.
Speaker 11: Well, they say it's racist to do anything I had to dive out and do yesterday and wants it.
Speaker 13: I'm sure they're gonna call that racist.
Speaker 6: It's good. I love you guys.
Speaker 11: Hello, Lauren Michaels.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding. See, it's another joke.
Speaker 11: Sometimes the media will love you a softball question, and that's when you charm the pants off them by insinuating that you have a dark sound.
Speaker 6: Why would people in Wisconsin want to have a beer with you?
Speaker 11: Well, I guess I guess they they'd like to they'd want to have a beer with me because I actually do like to drink beer, and I probably like to.
Speaker 4: Drink beer a little bit too much, but that's okay.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the media will boom.
Speaker 11: You could have just said I'm a regular guy boring. Instead, he left you wondering. Is this guy a high functioning alcoholic robot?
Speaker 4: That's interesting?
Speaker 11: Check plus mate equals check.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 11: The thing about being likable is it's always a work in progress. Even I a master need to practice to stay sharp.
Speaker 6: Hey, benches, huh what just so? Is your hair real?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: That wasn't too bad. We'll try that one out next week in Wisconsin.
Speaker 11: You know, it's really so rewarding seeing one of my pupils out in the world using the lessons I taught them and watching the world fall in love with them.
Speaker 10: Smile makes you happy?
Speaker 2: Well, I smile a little lot of things, including focus questions from the media.
Speaker 4: Man, I love this guy. You guys want to go a beer after this?
Speaker 11: I like drinking beer. That's probably why I murdered my wife.
Speaker 4: I love you, guys.
Speaker 10: Let me come back. Linda Lindez will be joining me on the show so we don't go away.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to that damn show. My guest tonight, critically acclaimed band whose new album is called No Obligation, Please welcome the amazing Linda Linda, let's.
Speaker 6: To come to the show.
Speaker 4: I've been watching you guys since the pandemic, and you guys musical prodigies. You guys have to take leave from school to come and do this gig today. You guys are literally too cool for school. I mean, don't here, Like, what what subjects did you have to skip?
Speaker 1: I had to miss English and math? She had to miss math and French?
Speaker 4: Okay, so none of those. Let meet you as an adult. None of those matters, So don't worry about it. Look at Yeah, I was fine without I don't I don't even do English, to be honest. And you guys are already like industry veterans like you guys have been playing for like together for how long now, six years? Six years? And you know one of I think more of you like started when you were eight, right, yeah, like yeah, she's.
Speaker 6: But we were really bad though.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean no, I don't know if you guys are bad. You guys seem to be rather the gate storming right like six years in and you've got to open for the Rolling Stones, you open for Green Day, right everybody?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fuc attention. I mean, I I don't want to like ask a very generic question, but like how do they just all start?
Speaker 1: We started out like playing benefit shows, like just like small punk shows in.
Speaker 14: La I was like with bends like the Dells and Alice Bagg and Frank were at our first shows.
Speaker 6: So like we've I don't know.
Speaker 14: Punk culture is just like super like special to us and that di y spirit is super contagious, right.
Speaker 4: Like so you guys are like the hipster dad dream kids because you guys, you guys are like anything we liked the real punk rock bands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did not think that we would be here like six years ago.
Speaker 6: That's weird for us.
Speaker 4: But how did you guys, how do you guys get started? What was the genesis of the band.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, Meila and I are sisters and then Eli's is our cousin. We've known Dallas since we were like Mela was born basically and she.
Speaker 4: Was two years ago. You would think.
Speaker 6: We started out playing covers like.
Speaker 1: Uh and uh, this girl called Christian Control who's in a band called the Dumb Dumb Girls. She wanted a bunch of kids to back her up for this like show that she was doing, and so we were like happened to be like four of those kids, and then we were like, what if we just kept going and then one thing led to another and the.
Speaker 4: Next thing, you know, you star. We needed that so and again not to be you know, not to be too generic with the questions, but what was it like opening for those bands? Like backstage? You know, it was really really cool.
Speaker 1: The Green Eye tour was so long, but it was really worth it because the bands and the crew they were just really kind to us, and even the fans were really respectful and just like supportive. But we put a bunch of fake cockroaches on their stage as well.
Speaker 14: Or they have this big blimp that goes by the audience, and we taped a big banner that said the Linda Linda's Rule on it, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like just stuff like that.
Speaker 14: But one of the best parts of being on this tour, other than like seeing the bands play and like being in the crowd for that, is that we had catering and so we would go and we would we would play twenty minutes we'd watched Ransom play and then I'd rush to catering and pile my.
Speaker 6: Play as high as you go.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 14: I hate so much about it.
Speaker 6: Was the Rolling Stones catering?
Speaker 1: Better?
Speaker 6: Was the Green Day catering? Honestly, do I feel like I just ate all of it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think Rolling Stones catering was better.
Speaker 6: Really, I don't know. I think it was all good.
Speaker 4: No, you can tell them that they catering sucks. That's actually the when I first started doing show business as well, I was surprised by the catering even here. I was like, man, it's food. It's just free food. It's like, no, and you can just as much as you want. It was gonna judge you. And I just ate all the food at the Daily Show all the time, Like I still you don't And so I mean, all this success that is get into your heads. Yet you got smashed hotel rooms? What what's going on?
Speaker 6: I mean they leave them a mess?
Speaker 4: Yes, so yes, you do destroy hotel destroying, but.
Speaker 6: We're in there. But they're not messy when we leave hotel trash cans. They're so tiny.
Speaker 1: How are you supposed to fit all your tracks?
Speaker 4: They are tiny and there's no plastic lining like in.
Speaker 6: A mold trash.
Speaker 1: Okay, honestly, just like a consequence of like how unenvironmentally conscious people are with like their tracks.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a bunch of excuses. Yeah, open for Rolling Stones, But I guess your parents still like clean your room, right. Yeah? So you just recently released your new album, No Obligation. Yeah this.
Speaker 3: So can you?
Speaker 4: This is number two album number two? You mind? Just what was the creative process like creating this?
Speaker 6: It took a long time.
Speaker 1: It was it was like over breaks from school, you know, so like over like on spring break or like long weekends and stuff like that. We would do like a little bit at a time, kind of throughout like almost a year and a half, I want to say. Yeah, and we really liked it because we it was our second time, so it was like the first time we were like skate we were like, oh my god, what if we break something in the studio, And the second time we were like.
Speaker 4: Studio now.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what was different about recording this one versus the last one was we really wanted to do a lot more collaborative writing, and we made sure to do more duets because we all sing odo like we we kind of like split it up evenly so that we all sing about the same amount just said or each whatever.
Speaker 4: What was it? Do you find? Uh? This, what did this come easier? And then the first one in terms of the creativity just kind of flow.
Speaker 1: I think we had more options because we felt more comfortable playing our instruments and we could make more informed decisions.
Speaker 6: I guess we.
Speaker 1: Also had a weird al guest on one of our songs. He played accordion, so like the first album, we probably would have asked him to be how I can know the second album.
Speaker 4: He was like, sure, yeah, yeah, you got the cool features. Now you got coming in. You know, I'll if you want, I'll lend I'll lend my voice too. I can do the intro. I'll just be like, everybody, welcome, What do you play? I play like you barely played the whistle, But I mean I can give you the intro if you want something really welcome to or whatever. I could get very sarcastic opening if that's a And you guys like are very politically active as well, Like, I mean, can you give us a little bit? Can you give us old timers here some insight into like what what what are kids concerned about right now?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, despite what you may think, we are.
Speaker 4: Not asiansky No, I was asking the question. I wasn't Asians. Oh you are okay, good, that's right. I was just confirming.
Speaker 1: Y yeah, No, we're as a band, we're like half Asian and half Latina and so the combination so much.
Speaker 4: Good food, so much good food. Honestly, all the all the rice eater rice eaters unite.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna say we were not. I feel like we're not like representation of like kids as a whole, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you guys are ultra.
Speaker 6: Our opinions are.
Speaker 1: Just like it's like, you know, we don't get to vote, and so we are genuinely concerned for what is to come in the future. And it's really it's difficult seeing people in power that don't care about what people care about, like protecting our rights and protecting the kids in our future.
Speaker 4: Like what will be what will be the issues that you guys care well kids were about right now, Because I'm sorry to touch one. I used to be young and then one day I woke up and suddenly the sunny TikTok became Snapchat, was like, and.
Speaker 1: Then we we're worried about like having like even just like generations from like us to like what kindergarteners are doing right now. It's like the amount of screen time, and it's like it's just like really scary to see, Like how.
Speaker 4: Wait, hang on, are you are you telling me that you you, you guys are worried about the amount of screen time. I mean, like that's good. I'm so glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: Like care, I mean, you know, it's never it's never too early to like start caring about issues that are happening in the world.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Like even though we're not old enough to vote, we are old enough to care. We are old enough to think about the world around us. We are old enough, So we're old enough to think about you know what the companies that we put our money into funds and you know, a lot of the times it feels like issues are so far away, you know, are so big, but really everything is connected. You know, like how the US funds of war in the Middle East and that causes so much violence and destruction there. But that also, you know, contributes to climate change, which affects you wherever you live. And so you just gotta do what you can, you know, organizing your local communities, you know, talk to talk to your friends, and you know, even if the things that you're doing, feel small or feel like they won't do anything.
Speaker 6: They are valuable and they do matter.
Speaker 12: Rights.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for saying that. Thank Buddha. The kids are gonna be okay. I'm so glad you guys exist. I'm so glad you guys make music. I'm so glad you guys care about your world. I'm so I'm so glad your kids are you And a new obligation is available now.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 6: Paramount Podcasts