Speaker 1: Oh man, it's so funny because we're fair to say we're both in a little bit of a funk, right, Yes, I will say, you know, bright moment of my day is when I get to.
Speaker 2: Hang out with you and call it work. And the fact that we're doing this episode today called the Box.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry if I don't know if this like dasas or whatever, but I am unable to hear the Box without immediately going.
Speaker 3: What's in what's in the box?
Speaker 2: What's in the box?
Speaker 3: Was that from seven?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, audition for that movie? No, you did not, Man, I must have been ten when that came out.
Speaker 2: I mentioned to be the head?
Speaker 3: That was will be the head in the box. It was you gotta gotta break it to this business somehow, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Palto standing head, Hold up. We see a few issues in this cast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's so funny. It was.
Speaker 1: It's really wild to me, Like you think about movies that just like stay in your brain. I've only watched that movie once because it's traumatic and it's crazy. Here we are doing like a New Girl episode that happens to be called the Box. Has nothing to do with the severed head, and my, my, my. Every time I saw it, I was like, the box?
Speaker 3: What in the box? Well, I'm willing to bet that some perhaps Rob Rob Rosello, wrote this episode named it or titled it the box because they are a fan of the film.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: There's no way to write the box is the title of your episode and not know that you're hearing you know, Brad Pitt's.
Speaker 3: Voice, Yeah, gras voice anyway, So.
Speaker 2: It's selky.
Speaker 1: It's selky, all right, speaking of silky tones, you want to give us a rundown of this episode?
Speaker 3: Apsus lutely. In this episode, Nick inherits eight thousand dollars from his late dad. Now this triggers just to help Nick out after discovering his box is full of bills and debt. Now, meanwhile, Schmid is trying to convince himself that he is a good person. This leads him down a dangerous path that involves a bike crash, getting beat up by rabbis and candelabras. Now, lastly, Winston is on a mission to get back the one thousand, nine hundred dollars Nick owes him by any means necessary, sliders anyone.
Speaker 2: I will say I did not remember this episode at all.
Speaker 3: I remember this episode. Yeah, I just remember a moment where he's like, I just remember the Winston asking him for money. I just remember. I think this is twice. I think this is another episode where I'm asking Nick to give me my money back. So this is multiple occasions. I want to say that he owes me money.
Speaker 2: I will say this.
Speaker 1: I found the draft of this episode and I was kind of reading along while I was watching, and at some point, to be very honest with you, I stopped because so much had been changed, so much had been changed, and we had episodes like that where you would do a table draft and then you'd get to shoot and you're like, WHOA, this is very different. So it went through a lot of notes, I guess, to kind of refine it. And then it was also in a lot of different order, Like they moved scenes around, and I don't know if they did that in the edit like in post or if that was just what we were doing on like the day, like they knew the order of it. But this episode, it feels like, was a real work in progress. And we definitely had a few of those over the series, but this was one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for all those folks out there. It's never I mean a good percentage of the time they're retooling scenes. You write it one way, and when you shoot it, you start to figure out that you know, it probably makes more sense if this episode or if this this scene goes later in the episode, because it makes a story flow better or makes the story make more sense. And there are actual times in which we will shoot episodes and then place the episodes much later down the season line, just because it makes more sense with the flow of things. And this is one of those episodes where you know the script is not matching quite right with what we actually what actually made it to air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually they would do that.
Speaker 1: I feel like every so often every season we would shoot something it's called like a box episode right where it was like not really connected to the overall storylines of the series, but they could then place it anywhere and it would make sense, and they would just give us some ridiculous high stake scenario so it would distract from the ongoing storylines. And I feel like that was something they would always have in their back pocket.
Speaker 2: We did that in quite a few seasons. We were like, oh, this is just like.
Speaker 1: A fun one where we're all locked in the loft together doing something weird, and it was just like a box episode. But this is not a box episode. But this was definitely one that went through a lot of rewrites. I feel like to get yeah.
Speaker 3: This technically is a box episode.
Speaker 2: Still, alright, let's dive in. Let's dive in.
Speaker 1: Because that scene, by the way, how this opens up really with someone at the door with a bag of cash made me that it was such a funny opening the handsfold dollar bills was so funny.
Speaker 2: Also like Nick Miller's dream scenario.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. First of all, when the guy showed up to the door, Nick should have got excited immediately. He should have been like, yes, this is what I've been expecting in this loft, this is my style. But actually he got a little nervous. He got a little nervous. He couldn't figure out which way to run, and he panicked.
Speaker 1: That was also the funniest thing because you also know it's an actor the choice of it, right, this is the thing how well we know our show. He didn't move off his mark, right, because obviously it was maybe like a long shoet week or something, But he did not move off his mark. He did a fake run and then stayed right there because I think he was worried to be actually like, did a run, then they would have to.
Speaker 3: Let the pan Yeah, from a different angle.
Speaker 2: So he's like, but it worked out. It looks so funny.
Speaker 1: The funny choice to be a time saving actor made me laugh because I feel like that was what was really going on.
Speaker 3: Well, the man gives him a bag, a brown paper bag, and inside of that brown paper bag eight thousand dollars in cash left by his dad. And the funny part about that moment is there's two things. One they throw the money in the air and wins into screaming you're rich, you know, I mean, you know I would call eight thousand dollars making a person rich. Maybe in the nineteen twenties, who knows, or the eighteen twenties. But but the funny another funny part about that moment is when the guy just bolts out of it, he.
Speaker 1: Just runs this shadiest situation in the world, because you know what my first thought was, Man, there was ten in that bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, say eight thousand dollars. It's ten dollars.
Speaker 2: Weird, it's a weird number. Yea browned down what are we doing here? Buddy? Feels like you run its fast, your pocket's are good. Fat. That was my go my fa that.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, that's just a logical theory because if somebody gave me what he passed away, gave me a duffel bag, was ten ten grand in it? Right, and then can you go give this to my son upon my death? Yeah, he's gonna get eight grand because you know there's a travelers.
Speaker 2: This is our theory.
Speaker 1: I wonder if anybody else agrees with us, but that was my immediate thought.
Speaker 2: I was just like, eight grand, come on.
Speaker 3: Now, traveler's fee, traveler's fee. R. What's funny about this as well, is that immediately they're at the mall. Yeah, he's getting And I love this because in certain films you'll see what a persons to a shopping spree. They just have a thousand bags with them and they're doing the dumbest stuff like getting a massage at.
Speaker 2: The mall, the fifteen dollars massage, the.
Speaker 3: Fifteen dollars massage. Yeah, and he's balling out. He's balling out now. I think I think we I mean, you know, it's a comedy and you gotta be extreme but if you gave me eight thousand dollars, I'm just gonna there's two options. It's either put it in the bank or go to a strip club.
Speaker 2: You know, those are your two options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one is saving and in want's charity. You know what I mean, what you need charity?
Speaker 2: Come over here. I'll declare myself one you drop that money off to me.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see you like that. Hannah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, what we are off the rails today? Okay, so why I'm laughing so much?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So Winston, now this is interesting because he gets all this money and he immediately, in Winston's face, is blowing it on everything, everything, ridiculous stuff, but everything but paying Winston back his nineteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so Jess is like, listen, we just ask him directly for your money, to which Winston.
Speaker 2: Laughs laughs reaction.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that means like that's that's this, this conversation has happened, you know what I mean. He knows he owes me money. Yeah. But so, so Jess tells Winston that he doesn't have to con Nick out of the money, since he's already owed it. He can just ask him, it's your money. Yeah, you know what I mean. Now back at the loft, Nick's put his new portrait on the shelf and has surrounded it with crystals. Just tells him, hey, man, just open up a bank account. And he says that a bank account. This isn't a bank account. Is this just with like fancy walls around you know, it's just a paper bag with fancy walls around it.
Speaker 2: And this is when she spies a box.
Speaker 3: Done, done done.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing that's interesting. I just watched Nobody Wants This on Netflix. That's a great show, it's really great. But in one of the episodes, the Kristen Bell's character finds the box for Adam Brodie's character, but it's full of stuff, like it's all full of stuff from his ex, right, And so I just had assume, because I just watched that series that, like when this episode called the box and just finds the box, that that's what this was. And I loved it so much because usually that's what it is. Someone has like a keepsake box of like memories or whatever, and there could be some weird stuff in there, and it's just unpaid bills that he can't be bothered to pay is such a fun comedy twist because I feel like we've seen the other version of that before, and the fact that it's also I feel like if it was stuff from whatever ex girlfriends, Jess would be not as.
Speaker 2: Stressed seeing a box full of unpaid bills, which is so funny.
Speaker 1: It's like perfect for each character and something different in the world of comedy, which I thought was like, I was like, whoa, I didn't realize that's what was going to be in the box.
Speaker 2: I thought it was gonna be like stuff from Caroline or something.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, no, no, it's it's Nick Miller, Nick Miller, it's bills, paid bills. And you know he doesn't think, yeah, he doesn't think that he should have to pay these bills. He's he's adamant about that. He's like, what do you want me to do? Go to the doctor for a check up as well? Yeah, yeah, yeah he probably should.
Speaker 1: Bro these are these are parts of life that you need to engage in for your financial and personal help.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now I Meanwhile, Schmidt, Schmid is on the couch now. Schmid is still in his feelings. He thinks he's a terrible person, he's he's on he's on a he's in a therapy session, right right, he's sitting on a couch and and he's he's talking to someone and he says, that is Uh, he started his day by listening to a techno song and then cried immediately afterwards. Uh, his tweets have been extremely liberal. That's what he said. And then you realize it's talking to a rabbi played by John Love It the greatest.
Speaker 1: This, by the way, I did find these scenes between Max and John and you can just tell one how much they enjoyed each other for sure, because there was so much improv so much improv I don't even put that down to an alt pack. I can just feel like John would just say things and the way he wanted to say it, or add a little bit to the top of it. But there was so much that they played with in it. And I think that's why that dynamic got so much time, Like they gave them more time in the episode because it was like comedy gold the two of them.
Speaker 3: Do you have to Yeah, you have to do that. I worked on the show recently where with Damon Actually it's not coming out for a little bit, but I did a guest star on his show, and Tommy Davidson was on the show, and he's Tommy david Son, so you know, maybe something wasn't written there necessarily, but then he guns it and it's like you got to give Tommy Davidson more stuff to do, and it's like, yeah, we do, and next thing you know, they're writing like more bits and more things for someone like that to do. When you got John Lovetz on your show, it's the same thing, you know what I mean. It seems like on the page a small character, but like when they open it up, it becomes a very memorable character.
Speaker 1: We're having like a legend come in right for like what is a small role you're like in the b story as the Rabbi, And it's always just like a credit I feel like to Liz and to Jake Kasen and to Bret Dave and just like their network of friends who basically were like, oh, I'll come, like Parker Posey, you know, just being like Okay, I'll come and do this tiny character on your show is not normal. Usually that would like yeah, be written all around you. And it's like what makes this New Girl universe always find like so amazing. I didn't realize that John Lovitz was in this episode, and of course he comes in and like steals this episode by just being so brilliant and funny and improving and giving Max so much to work with. Anyway, it was great. I was so shocked when I saw him, because again I didn't remember this episode, so it was just like, no way, he's the rabbi right now, and what is Schmidt saying to him?
Speaker 2: But he's basically on this big quest.
Speaker 1: And this is why I say cheaters never win, because even if you get away with it, quote unquote, you carry it on your conscience. And this is what's happening to Schmidt right now. He is now in crisis if he thinks he's a good person and so absolutely someone to tell him and reassure him that he is.
Speaker 2: So he's gone to his rabbi.
Speaker 3: And you think that he after the advice the Rabbi gives him, you would think that you know he's he he hit a turn, like he took a turn for the better. The Rabbi lets him know that he needs to start thinking about the needs of other folks, not just himself, and then he has the eureka moment and he's like, huh okay. Then he's walking and he witnesses a biker crash and he starts in. The biker played by the fantastic Derek Waters created the show Drunk History. Oh yeah, I love I did an episode of that show. It's so fun. And the guy is choking on gum, you know, Schmid.
Speaker 2: And I love that Schmid reprimands him first.
Speaker 1: His first instinct is to go, idiot, are you biking?
Speaker 2: Before he goes into hero.
Speaker 3: Mode exactly, and then he does he I never want to be in this situation. I never want to witness somebody choking and have to give him the Heimlich maneuver, you know, because I don't want to, you know, I mean I want to save their lives. But like, yeah, maybe you don't work out, and then next day I know I'm the.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't really practice the Heimlich like practice. You can't just think another human be like so this is the thing, and this is this like.
Speaker 2: Sternum or whatever.
Speaker 1: Let me now just punch you in it, just as why I can make sure I'm ready in a scenario. So really, anytime you perform the Ti'm like it's like the first time, and the steaks are pretty high. Yeah, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: That's a hard past for me. That's a pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he performs it and then the gum comes flying out of his mouth, and then immediately Schmidt stands up to the world. It is. He's realizing this is exactly what I need. And then you know, he calls them to rejoice in a song. In the middle of the street. He starts singing, I don't know the name of this song, Shmi Israel.
Speaker 2: I guess it feels like a holy song.
Speaker 1: He starts to sing and celebrate, but the bikers still like technically dying.
Speaker 2: And he needs.
Speaker 1: Is really because even if you do some thing good, he's making it about himself.
Speaker 2: And he's like, that's it. I've done it. I'm a good person. I've saved a life. Now this man's about to die.
Speaker 3: Yes, probably we need to follow up on what happened to this guy. Now back in Nick's from Jess in typical jests, fashion is going against everything Nick has requested of her, and she is now inside of this man's box.
Speaker 1: I love that moment, by the way, where she like sneaks into his room, gets the box and then you just see the box shoot across the hallway from Nick's room to Jess's room, and then you just see her run as fast as the fast as humanly possible separate from the box.
Speaker 2: So sho over.
Speaker 1: I was like, that was a beautiful moment of direction. That was such a funny little like caper like vibe m h, I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she's secretly paying the bills, which is like so funny and so terrible to like spend someone else cash.
Speaker 3: And be like, what if I didn't want to spend it on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well clearly he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He does not, right. And here's the other thing I was thinking about. If I look around in certain parts of my office, for example, there are bills that are just that are just lying around. Here's the thing. Those bills have been paid. I just keep forgetting to throw away the actual envelope and the things that it comes in because I'm on automatic pay, but they still send like a physical copy of it. And what if that's what was happening. What if Nick had paid those bills and here she is sending cash in the middle of the mail.
Speaker 1: You know what, By the way, I wouldn't put it past him. Do you know what I'm saying to have had paid a bill and kept it and think and like double pay or something. This is why they don't need to send it. Just don't send it. This is all should First of all, the trees, don't do it. We don't need the paper copy anymore.
Speaker 2: The world doesn't need it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't need it. Don't you tell them I don't need it.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I always switched to like the you know, like I don't want the paper statements, ease statements, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And yet they still keep showing up.
Speaker 3: They keep showing up. I don't know why they do that.
Speaker 2: It is very weird.
Speaker 3: Automatic send ye, They're.
Speaker 1: Like, we just love killing trees. So sorry, all right, where are we? Oh gosh, so we're in the living room. Winston has made sliders for him and Nick. Then, in the spirit of brotherhood, yes Nick, to repay him.
Speaker 3: And to this day I use this term to this day because of this episode. He stands up in anger and claims that because he's made a little money. Now, Winston is coming out of the woodword and does like woodward. He goes, you mean woodwork, He goes, what's the woodwork? Because it's Woodward.
Speaker 2: Oh man, this is super funny.
Speaker 1: Back and forth too, when every single time they led a moment of confusion in the English language on this show, go like back and forth and let it breathe like family Guy style. It makes me laugh so hard, and it usually has to do with like Nick Miller's brain having learned something a certain way and everybody getting thrown Just like that episode where it was Nick and Jess in the bathroom where he talked about minutes or something like that, and then she just was like, hold on, listen, I'm dealing with something important, but we must discuss this.
Speaker 2: You cannot walk through the world saying that or being that.
Speaker 1: And this is the Woodward situation too, which is like mine, oh that's not a thing.
Speaker 3: Is what makes the character funny. Funny. He is silly and sometimes stupid, but just then Jess walks into the situation and with no choice, she agrees with Nick. When it comes to staying out of his box. Nick states he's going to the bar to blow off some steam as one does well as Nick does, and the Jess agrees that it is a good idea that he does. So Nick says that she's the only one that he trusts he made.
Speaker 2: That's that's key there the worst feeling.
Speaker 1: That is the worst feeling when you know now you're already too deep.
Speaker 2: You spend all the money mailed cash.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, what a choice one that's.
Speaker 1: No bills being paid it he mail cash. It's gonna be like the same guy who dropped off the cash. A person gonna open the bill, take out that cash and be like unpaid yes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And then and then so she goes back in there to try to fix things. And then guess who catches her in the.
Speaker 2: Room, the bish?
Speaker 3: When the Bish catches her and just tells Winston that it is so much worse than she thought, like why does he need to have the deed for an old mercury cougar in there? Uh? Then you flash back, You flash back to the younger version of Winston, Nick and Schmidt, and Nick says the car is done. But Winston, Winston, you know, you know, he's a smart guy. Sometimes when he's not being stupid, he blackmails Jess, you know, and he will keep his mouth shut if she pays him the money that Nick owes him. I remember there's a meme of this. I want to say it's a gift that of this particular moment when she pins him up against the wall and then starts slapping slapping him a few times and then ask how much money he owes him. Every time I see that meme, I remember this particular episode because there's so many episodes and you forget about specific moments. But this is a big moment because this is this is one of the first times you see her get aggressive. Yeah, like he is like like hitting him me.
Speaker 1: You know, physical violence is not something you associate with Jessica day.
Speaker 3: No, but she she did it and m very out of character.
Speaker 1: Rob show funny to see, like turn that left because now she has to be the one right because she gave that advice. She was the one who gave the advice, and it's come back to bite her in the ass where she's like, just ask.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is ask.
Speaker 1: And now she's the one holding the purse strings and he knows it and so he has asks and that's hysterical. I love those full circle moments where you're like, this is why you shouldn't have gotten involved, jess Now you're in it exactly.
Speaker 3: Now Nick's at the bar, he's drunk. Obviously. He says he doesn't understand money. Gold sure, because it's shiny and he'd be made into jewelry. And he realize Nick is talking to this drunk guy at the bar who tells it for fifty dollars, i'll show you my private parts.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is that when I was reading along, I found this scene and it's pretty much as scripted, but they cut the scene for what they aired, and it did end with Nick turning to the guy when he's alone at the bar and he goes, so he said fifty. Yeah, didn't make it on the show, but that made me laugh. When I was reading it, I was like, oh, I should have say that's so funny.
Speaker 2: It was too far. Maybe he's too far, but I thought it was really And.
Speaker 3: That's what and that's what I remember about the actual script because when I watched it, in my mind, I was waiting for the bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He turns around and says, you know, so you said fifty, or can you show me? I was waiting for that moment, but it didn't happen. And Schmidt walks into the bar and Nick tells him that this money issue is tearing him apart. Schmidt suggests that he should just give it all the way to a charity a mitzvah, and then, yeah, Schmid is very excited. He's on this high because he did just save a man's life today. Randomly enough. Derek Waters is one of Jake Johnson's best friends.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the origin story for drunk History, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, him and Jake. Him and Jake were either workshopping an idea or being drunk and talking about history. He's one of the two.
Speaker 2: I feel like this might not be right.
Speaker 1: I feel like Jake's talked about this somewhere so someone can fact check this for me.
Speaker 2: But I feel like what Jake.
Speaker 1: Told me was him and Derek were hanging out and had a few bebies, and Jake was telling him about like I want to say, Otis Redding, who had some sort of interesting life or whatever, and it was kind of like a messily told story but very interesting. And then Derek recorded it and then basically took that to Comedy Central and was like this, I think this could be something like, let me try to make this into I feel like there was there's there's a negative truth of what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think that's right on. Oh, while I got you, I almost forgot. Do you have the new Girl couch? Yes? I do you do? We were we were yesterday. No, we were there together. We were doing this shoot and they had us on a leather couch and everybody kept saying, is this the original couch? And I kept saying, no, I think Hannah has that couch, and they were like and they were like, no, I think Liz has it. I said, no, I'm pretty sure Hannah has it.
Speaker 2: I have it.
Speaker 1: They were selling it on like a fan site. They were selling it on a fan site, and I called Aaron O'Malley, one of our producers, and I was like, no way that they're just going to like sell this couch off. They were selling everything from the set, everything, and I was like, that's crazy, and I said I'll buy it. And so I just because I just thought that's that's a wild thing.
Speaker 2: We should be free.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I bought it because it was already up on this site for sale, so they couldn't like just give it to me at that point, like it had gone through a company.
Speaker 2: So I bought it. But here's what I know.
Speaker 1: It is when I was actually watching yesterday doing the rewatch, is that the couch is like so shiny, Like the leather is so like shiny and supple and soft. And now I'm looking at this couch that I've had for many years now and I'm like, oh, it looks a little dry leather.
Speaker 2: You gotta take care of care about leather.
Speaker 3: Couch was like oilers, Yeah, there's there are leather of moisturizers that you used to keep the couch.
Speaker 2: But here's what I thought.
Speaker 1: I thought one day, maybe in season four, season five of this podcast, as we continue to grow and we build this little set that we do our podcast for up, we should put that couch in it. This should be happening on the couch, Like, let's be real.
Speaker 3: She should be on the couch, not over riverside.
Speaker 2: But yes, I do have it.
Speaker 3: You were right, Ah, Yes, indeed, Ja goes me a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Asking him for the money. Asking for the money.
Speaker 1: So Schmid's excited not because he saves someone's life, but because he's done something that he feels now that people have to say to him he is a good person because he saved a life. So again, his intentions around the whole thing and motivation.
Speaker 2: And is a whack attack. Okay, yes, So Schmid goes and tells Nick like, hey, save it a good man a man's life. So I'm a good man. Now just say the words, say the words yeah.
Speaker 3: And say it.
Speaker 2: Won't say it, He won't say it.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't matter if you just happen to save someone's life. That doesn't all of a sudden change exactly like the structure of who you are.
Speaker 3: Right. One of my favorite parts of this episode is when Jess goes to the city building attempting to unpay the parking ticket she paid for Nick and the woman buying on her desk. Oh my, she's so funny. She's so funny, just like, you know, just avoid the checks. Just Jess lets her know that she paid cash because her boyfriend doesn't believe in banks. Their relationship is still new, still shaving above the knee crazy as she goes. But I think she said something like I'll let you know or something when it comes in and she's like, uh, just just just call my She.
Speaker 1: Goes just she's thinking text would be great.
Speaker 3: She's like snapping the to get the phone up here. Acco she's texted.
Speaker 1: She didn't even flip it open, so the fact that it was a flip phone was also very funny. But she didn't even flip it open. She's just like on the cloth, no nap, just like moving her thumb.
Speaker 3: Now Nick comes home drunk. He tells Winston that he's going to pay him back the money. No it is is interesting because he's already been paid back. And Jess hears this it quickly runs into Nick's room, locking the door behind her. Now Nick barges into the room and sees that his money bag is completely empty. Wow, just comes clean, and she says that she couldn't help herself. She paid some of his bills, and Nick walks away, leaving Jess stuck under his bed to find interesting. How'd you get under there? Now? You can't, I'm not the way it went in anyway.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you can't unslink the way you slinked. Though sometimes you can.
Speaker 2: Like arch your body in a certain way of me to get your head.
Speaker 1: And like I remember being a kid, and you could get yourself into all these like weird little like putting hide and seek and stuff, and then all of a sudden you're like, oh, the coming out part like I only get my leg out first and on my head out first, and now I can't like move my contort my body to get out.
Speaker 2: Of the thanks. I'm pretty crazy hide and seek. So I kind of get.
Speaker 3: It, I guess so. I guess so because whenever I go under bed, my butt for some reason just gets bigger.
Speaker 2: You just have like nine bags of cheet Ups under there. You're like, I don't know what it is, but I can't get I've gone to the bed.
Speaker 3: Hey man, that salt bloat is real now. Then Schmid goes back earlier I said, I wanted to see a follow up on what happened with this guy. I forgot that we actually do have.
Speaker 2: A Yeah, you go to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he goes to the hospital to visit him, just so he could ask him if he's a good guys. Can you tell me what good guy? This is?
Speaker 1: Giving you all the information you need, Schmidt, the fact that you are now hitting this man up to reassure you.
Speaker 3: Right, it means you ain't a good guy. Come on, the Biker's like, I don't really know you. And then after accidentally hitting the biker's broken leg, the biker finally emits Okay, Schmidt, he's a good person. We see next to him in a full cast is a guy who got It's like, what happened to that guy? He gets smoked by a bus while having a bake sale for cancer kids, and it's like, oh no, oh bike.
Speaker 1: Then Schmid has a big light bulb moment because then the biker says, well, you know, bad things happen to good people all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Schmid's like has the wrong epiphany, like the absolute wrong epiphany where he's like, huh, why am I chasing this?
Speaker 2: That's fine, none of it makes sense. Great.
Speaker 3: And then and another funny part is that when Schmidt Schmidt running down the street have me dying laughing. But this is also like the height of Max's workout regimen. He's like he's in all time shape. It wasn't a man in la in more shape than Max Green.
Speaker 2: Here was the king of CrossFit.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he was flying.
Speaker 1: The way he ran was just like such a like that old school Tom Cruise mission impossible run. Like somebody has kidnapped your daughter. It's like an old school you know what I mean, like going to.
Speaker 2: Save your child. The stakes are high.
Speaker 1: They've got your wife trapped in a room and the run and these like karate chap hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, let's go to a quick break and when we come back, we'll dive back into this episode, shall we me? And we are back?
Speaker 2: Nah, we're back, We're back. This isn't happening.
Speaker 1: We have to we have to cut this part out because every single time La morn is gonna ask me this thing, we have to take up the bear.
Speaker 3: Well, it's in the next episode.
Speaker 1: I know there's so many bears this season, and it makes me crazy that this is the season I've decided not to like do the bear can be.
Speaker 3: The one.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: This is also like a little reverse psychology by you right now, because now, all of a sudden, look at you. You're finding bears. First time when I've been it was very often the bear.
Speaker 3: The next episode is just very obvious.
Speaker 1: Back at the loft, We're back in the loft, Jess apologizes the nick. And this is also the thing about New Girl I love so deeply, right is they always find a way to talk about what it's really about in a comedy, and like a twenty two minute comedy, they always get to actually like the meat of the thing, which is, I think why people love this show so much? Right, And he asks her why she feels the need to fix him. Yeah, yeah, yeah, system. He liked his system. It's his money from his dad. Like what's the motivation and why?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, there was a lot of different issues that he was dealing with, as far as not paying his bills, that's right, and the type of paperwork that he had, so he started a corporation, fat face, thinking he was filing a patent. He has a fake lifeguard certification from a classic beach prank, which one does. He hasn't once done jury duty or paid his taxes, and just lets him know, listen, I'm not trying to fix you. I'm just saying, man, you're in so much debt. I'm just I'm just trying to help you a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when he said his fake lifeguard certification was for is for this beach prank. He was gonna be the lifeguard, but he doesn't know how to swim.
Speaker 2: That was the prank.
Speaker 1: He was gonna sit there and watch people drown as a prank. That feels like such a Winny the Bitch Stolen movie, Like it's one of those things where you're like, oh, these guys spend too much time together as friends. And at one point he was like, I'm gonna try pranks and he went too big.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it was. But then he flips it on her and he's like, I want to He's like, what if I go through your box? And he's not that, not that box, not that box, the other I want that box, but about the other kind of box. Uh. And then he goes into Jess's room and he starts going through our drawers and he finds all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: A drawer full of peanuts.
Speaker 3: Those are peanuts, peanuts, peanuts.
Speaker 1: I also that was a very valid response. He's like, there's no day peanuts or night peanuts.
Speaker 3: Pina their peanuts, which is so funny because you would think he would have a peanut drawer, but he does. He finds Bobby pins. He calls him shiny or toothpicks or shiny toothpicks or something.
Speaker 2: Bobby pins. Bobby pins. Bobby pins still a very big debate.
Speaker 3: Because Bobby has pins, but who is Bobby? Uh. He finds a bunch of yarn to ask her if she's knitting a mansion that was really funny in vintage purses. And then he's like they could be sexier.
Speaker 1: Like my purses need to be sexier, which is such a funny response. And then he just starts going wild and chucking them out the window, the window, which is aggressive. But I guess she did mail his cash, so I'm like, you know, yeah, one of them.
Speaker 2: She said she bought for a nickel.
Speaker 1: So I kind of feel like when you worked it out in the watch, she kind of got, you know, she was she was spared.
Speaker 3: Now now after all that, she decides, you know what, I'm just gonna write you a check. Yeah, gonna I'm just gonna write you a check. You write so my check. And then she leaves and she goes outside. You know. Meanwhile, Schmid barges into the classroom whereas rap I was teaching them. Oh my god, it runs maybe some people are just winners and losers.
Speaker 1: Blows up a religious class for children, just blows it all up, So it all means nothing.
Speaker 2: It's all a joke, means nothing.
Speaker 1: Gets to a physical fight with the rabbi, then get other like rabbis like like sicked on him.
Speaker 3: Basically the security rabbis security Rabbi the Big Ones.
Speaker 1: That was the funniest thing in watching the kids' faces.
Speaker 2: That was such a great scene.
Speaker 1: You know, that probably took half a whole day to shoot because there was probably so much stuff.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. You gotta keep going. You's got to keep rolling on that. And then uh again, once Nick threw these purses out of the window, guess who cocked up outside Dave. He's wearing all of her purses.
Speaker 2: I feel like a pretty lady.
Speaker 1: So this scene in the script was just a one two exchange. It was really good that that part, for like when she's like, there's a flap in the back of your pants or whatever she says, and he says, it's a pretty cat or the kid didn't cats the kid whatever he says, and like and then the I feel like a pretty lady with the person. None of that was in the script, And that's because Steve is just a comedy king and loved this character and he could say the most random thing and it works for Outside Dave and it was always so gross and so.
Speaker 2: Funny and on point.
Speaker 1: So they gave him a little more air in this episode too, which absolutely so hard.
Speaker 3: That's what you have to do like we did. When you have someone who's brilliant comedically, you gotta you gotta give them some space. Jess gets a call and we cut to a bank where Nick is being held by a police officer because they think he's trying to open up a bank account with her check, as if he was committing some sort of fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, And they get there and I'm sorry, this is so funny. He's opening a bank account with a check it or name and a bag full of money.
Speaker 2: That's right, like what he's got.
Speaker 3: Man is an adult. This man is an adult. He is a grown up. And this is the and this is how he's deciding to open up a bank account. Anyway. He says he realized something that he will do anything for Jess. Then they go, okay, they they they're going through with it. Everything's fine. And then there's there's an eight dollars processing fee, and it becomes a it becomes a whole thing.
Speaker 1: This is the line that I love so much because it made me think about it. Where he goes it's an oddly specific number. It's so true, like eight dollars is the exact value, Like they do that number just to almost throw you off.
Speaker 2: Right to make it.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the eight grand where you're like, no, that was ten, and it's like eight, I'm gonna go the other way.
Speaker 2: I'm like, your processing fee is probably a dollar?
Speaker 3: What about her?
Speaker 2: And you guys are making at this bank with your eight bucks over.
Speaker 3: The processing fee? Like everyone there gets right.
Speaker 1: There, she's there on salary, who's getting the processing fee? You know what, Now I'm annoyed about the processing fee. He made a good point, which.
Speaker 3: Is why everybody should just probably move their bank accounts on over to BEMO.
Speaker 1: So the greatest part about this is then Jess realizes how much Nick is now doing to step forward and to mature and to grow for her. So then she then goes team neck and she then gets on board with how ridiculous the processing fee is, and she goes in on the bank teller and they just go so hard on it, and then they realize how much the love each other, and I think they start making out. And then the bank teller is just like, I'm gonna wave this fee, okay, which, by the way, huge win also shows they can wave the fee.
Speaker 3: They can't wave the fee. It's what's funny is that we see the bank teller is pretty much just jealous of their relationship the way she's like hanking them. But meanwhile, back at the Laft, Winston tell Schmidt that he he's a good man, he's had enough of this and that he just needs to try to be better. It's Winston with the money Nick gave him.
Speaker 2: I cannot with Winston in this choice right now.
Speaker 3: He gives him a candelabra. You know, I've probably given you know, a number of candlelabras to people in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: You know, he spent all the money that was like a nineteen hundred like.
Speaker 3: The dred dollar candelabra.
Speaker 2: That's what I think that that was.
Speaker 1: I've never I was like, you know, Winnie the bitch may did something absolutely ludicrous with that, and I feel like, you tell me if this is right.
Speaker 2: But at the end, because you can.
Speaker 1: See Max laughing, he says, what would you do right with something like with all the money?
Speaker 2: If you had all the money, And then what does Winston say?
Speaker 3: Buy more?
Speaker 1: And I was like, that feels like that was fully the improvised because then he actually laughs, Yeah, that was I was like, this is just lamar and with like a golden moment of improv because you see Max just being like perfect, that's perfect.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, candelabras help illuminate the path and leads you out of darkness wastin Bishop, let's go to bring and we are back, Hannah. Let's just mess around really quickly. Now Nick buys some ridiculous items with his money. What is the most outlandish purchase you've ever made?
Speaker 1: Honestly, now that we have talked about it in this episode, I kind of feel like the couch was.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like buying the New Girl.
Speaker 1: Couch was because this is a couch that has been set on and abused for like six whatever, like what seven eight years we had it on the show.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us how much you spent on it?
Speaker 2: Sure? So here's what the deal was.
Speaker 1: It was on a website where people bid on it, so I just had to be the highest bidder.
Speaker 2: I was not. Yeah, No, it wasn't eBay.
Speaker 1: It was a different site where they sell things from old sex, which is kind of cool by the way, if your favorite show goes off the air, you can snaggle out of cool stuff memorabilia, And so I had to be the highest bidder. I really got myself in a pickle. What's your guess of what I paid for this couch. By the way, I do think that in many years now i sold the new Girl couch, I'd probably make my money back.
Speaker 2: Yeah five, Oh my god, you're so called six.
Speaker 3: Six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's just what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But the only that's that bad real leather couch, you know what I mean. I I I'm looking at the prices of couches these days. I've been furnishing my house and let me tell you something, I'm annoyed, highly frustrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. Couches are very expensive, they're shocking.
Speaker 1: But I was like this couch, you know what I mean, Like, think about how we treated that couch, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We would just choose all over it, choose all over it all day and.
Speaker 3: The moment I moved into LA I have one piece of furniture that has gone with me and it's been sixteen years now. I got it the first year. It's a leather couch get out. Actually, actually I got it in twenty eleven, and guess who picked it out for me? On one of our art designers, Alse and Hanley, one of our You decorated one of my apartments for me, picked this couch out and I've had it ever since. It is leather, and you do have to you do have to keep up with it.
Speaker 1: But it's I like you to send me a link and what to do with a new girl couch because I feel like I'm not treating.
Speaker 2: Her very well. Burn it, like I'm doing anything with it. I just think that burn it, burn it.
Speaker 1: I did lose somehow, or I didn't lose. They lost in the delivery. One of the leather pillows lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, they're just keeping this one ransom.
Speaker 3: Fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do have the couch.
Speaker 1: When you come over, I'll show you what's upstairs. We'll take a picture on him.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Uh me, what if? Ibe? What's the most outlandish?
Speaker 2: I feel like you got a long list.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wouldn't call them outlandish because they're utilities. Like I like cars, so I in my day have spent you know, stupid amount of money on cars. So I'm just gonna say a car. A car was probably the most outlandish because he depreciates. But I got lucky. I once bought a car and three years later, sold the car for fifty thousand dollars more than I paid for it.
Speaker 2: No, you did not, That's impossible.
Speaker 3: It's not impossible. This is during the pandemic and like there was some shortage of things and chips and whatever, and people were dying to get this car that I had, so I sold it for fifty grand I know.
Speaker 2: Car you're talking about.
Speaker 1: And as she was a beautiful Yoh yeah, she was a very beautiful car.
Speaker 3: Well, folks, thank you all for listening to another fantastic episode. Be sure to check us out on ig at the mess Around Pod and uh, you know, check out our merch.
Speaker 1: Look at this Ooh, I love that movie so much. We have so much new merch that's dropped at the Messround pod dot com. Go check it out before it all sells out. Tag is in your picks. Also, could somebody do a supercut of like Brad Pitt going why isn't the box and then they open it up and it just Nick Bills. That would make me so happy.
Speaker 2: All Right, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: I love y'all. That was the Mess Around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson. So We're gonna catch you next time. Bye,