Speaker 1: It's one hundred degrees outside. Let's go get our Christmas tree. It's one more thing. I'm strong and getty. One more thing. Waw. It's a texting related conversation. We'll get to them a little bit, but first, some hilarity I'm hoping from Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show last night. Well, guys, we're heading into flu season. But great news.
Speaker 2: The FDA just authorized the first over the counter combination COVID nineteen and flu test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this test really does it all. Check out this commercial.
Speaker 3: The FDA's new combination COVID test is quick, reliable, and easy to use. Simply collect your sample, drop it onto the test strip, wait thirty minutes, and view year results. The first line is the control line. A second line means you have COVID. A third line means you have the flu. Four lines means common cold, five lines means scurvy, Six lines congress you're pregnant. Seven lines means you're not pregnant, you just ate a big lunch. Eight lines means your crush likes you back. Nine lines means you're such a scorpioes means your friend Gary wants you to text him back.
Speaker 2: Text Gary back and no lines means you're dead.
Speaker 3: The new COVID and Crew tests now available at CBS in our pre easter aisle.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. They're pre easter asle. The way they do that at those big convenience stores. Oh my god, just overwhelming amounts of whatever the next holiday is going to be, right.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a seasonal aisles.
Speaker 1: I was amazed by the things you can or can't find at like a CBS or a Walgreens. I'm often shocked that, wow, they have this, and often shocked that they don't have this. Yeah, you know, like I need some automotive to something or other, and they have that than some other normal household thing I think, and they don't carry that for some reason.
Speaker 4: I'm still lunged away by how early Christmas stuff starts popping up each year.
Speaker 1: It's like creeping in closer to the summer. Yeah. That that has been a point of humor, like my whole adult life. But it's reached so much absurdity now that I don't even it's practically year round. Yeah. Costco especially, and I often think that, you know, they're a for profit business and very smart, and they've got a tremendous amount of data. I assume they wouldn't put the Halloween stuff in there as soon as they take out the fourth of July stuff unless it works somehow.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, right, Yeah, they have a certain amount of floor space and they've done the data analysis. It's like CBS or Walgreens or whatever with the season allisles. It's just nobody goes there. Nobody goes shopping there to buy Halloween decorations. But you see something the cute as an impulse buy, they must make it work and you.
Speaker 1: Get your combination COVID flu test and head on home.
Speaker 4: A lot of companies now do the Christmas in July thing, Christmas in July sales. I don't know why that irritates me so much.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: They start selling Christmas products in July. It's just like Black Friday in July. It's that's their thing. It's hey, it's Christmas in July, and they just think it's the greatest thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it annoys you in particular, Katie, but you're an old soul. I just what what occurred to me when I was raising my kids? And this is such a weird example, but it works for me. We used to in my generation wait all year for the Christmas specials, the kids Christmas specials, Charlie Brown, Christmas Rudolph, you know the rest of them. Yeah, Frosty, the dialed back Snowman.
Speaker 1: I'm Frosty, I Q.
Speaker 2: You're what was the one with the heat Miser? And uh, I don't know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Uh, but we used to Weiser the Abominable Snowman. Was it its own thing?
Speaker 2: No, but of course the Grinch and uh and and and yeah, the heat Miser and like the Winter Warlock, Santa Claus is coming to town, I think right any that had the hot puppet chick in it his love interest. Whoo man, they spent some time on her wood. They carved it up right anyway, stop action sexy, That's what I say.
Speaker 1: Where were we he is talking about a puppet? Folks, here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh but we'd wait all year for that, and then it would be a very special thing. And then when my kids were little, we just bought the VHS tapes and everything is available all the time, and the concept of the rhythms of the year unfolding just it's gone away. Now it's everything all the time, which I think is part of the reason people are so crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the everything bagel for anybody who's seen the movie that won the all the Oscars, everything everywhere, all at once, m everything bagel. Yeah, I know. And I can't tell if it's important or not. I really can't. I know I preferred one or the other, but I don't know if it's just a tiny, niche example of something that changed for the worst but it doesn't have any overall meeting, or if it says you say, it's just all of life has become that. I don't know. It's the second one.
Speaker 2: And here's my evidence as usual, and maybe this is backward reasoning. I don't know. But human beings for millions of years saw life unfold in a certain rhythm. We're made for that. We're not made to be shopping for parkas in June or throwing on an extra zebra fer or whatever we have been. We have been, you know, part of the turning of the seasons since mankind crawled out of the primority you lose or evolved from the minky or whatever your particular view of of early man is. It's all about the rhythm of the year unfolding it now not anymore.
Speaker 1: It's why we're so cuckoo. You couldn't go to the village elders and say, let's do the harvest dance. It's not harvest danced. There were six months away from the harvest time.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Why do we have to wait six months through the harvest dance. Let's do it. It's a great dance.
Speaker 2: And with the way you shake your leg and then you shake your leg. No, no, no, it's not harvest.
Speaker 1: Get back in your hunt or whatever right you have. It's enough. Are you a very complicated view of evolution or something? I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Or don't you have a mammoth tusk to polish or something else? I don't know a lot about prehistoric men.
Speaker 1: I think you need to reread Sapiens perhaps out all right, don't you have an arrowhead to craft?
Speaker 2: You're on the arrowhead committee. Get to get to sharpen or them with your with your stone axe.
Speaker 1: M I agree?
Speaker 4: Coming soon the Labor Days sale in February. Yeah, well, I guess that's it.