Speaker 1: Welcome to office hours, but we sit down with the people shaping the world and answer your most pressing questions about leadership, career, and life. I'm Mike Steibe, and if you've ever wondered what it takes to get all the way to CEO, to these conversations for you. As the leader of Spencer Stewart's CEO recruiting practice, our guest today has likely played more CEOs in their roles than anyone else in the world. In addition, he's also the author of seven life changing books on career growth and leadership, including the Career Playbook and the international bestseller You're in Charge Now. What if your cell phone blows up and Jim Sittern is on the line, You take the call.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mike. Such a pleasure.
Speaker 1: So, Jim, when I was twenty six and I'm struggling with my career, I read a phenomenal book and it was your book, The Five Patterns of an Extraordinary Career, and it literally changed the direction of my work and where I ended up. And now you, your firm, have put me in some of the most interesting situations board CEO, et cetera. It's really come full circle and it is for me a real amazing pleasure to be here with you.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so great, Mike.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have a lot of fun. As you know, we got a bunch of questions from the audience. Folks wanted to hear about you on how to get to CEO, how to make their first couple of career choices, how to shape their careers. And there's a bunch of questions in here about how to interview too, which nobody knows better than you. So it's all right, Will let's go to the first one. It's from Mateo and San Diego, and he said.
Speaker 3: I find the hardest thing about planning my career is knowing what I want to do. How did you guys know the right direction for you early in your career and what advice do you have for someone who's struggling to see that path?
Speaker 4: So, Jim, I got this great job at Morgan Stanley as a financial analyst on Wall Street, and it was the early eighties, and I was okay at it, but I wasn't great at it, and I did well enough to be fine. But I was able to get into Harvard Business School, which was amazing I had a framework for what I wanted to do. I was twenty six, and I'll be really honest, Mike, I wanted to work in a highly prestigious organization. Have prestige was important to me.
Speaker 1: You've noted that can be important in career paths is having that early blue chip experience.
Speaker 4: I am a huge believer in going blue chip early and then building off of that. And I'll be honest, I wanted to make a lot of money as well, So lifestyle, money, and prestige were my three kind of things. And then I interviewed across the board, and I was good at interviewing, so I got lots of different opportunities and pretty advanced offers. I went to a company at the time was one of the most valuable media companies in the world. It was many of the listeners might not even remember it, but you certainly will readers Digest Readers. Digest had just gone public. It was a six billion dollar company, the largest magazine company in the world. I had my year review and I had a boss who said, Jim, he said, you had an okay year. You know, it wasn't great. He said, let me ask you a question. What is the skill on the back of which you want to build your career.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting question.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 4: And I was thirty three, and without even hesitating, I said, relationships. So long story short, at the age of the tender age of thirty four, I went into Spencer Stewart and it's been an amazing twenty five plus years.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like before that you were focused on the sort of external items like prestige and money and location, and not that those things aren't important, but as soon as you turned your attention to the internal motivator, the thing that you personally enjoyed doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I had a.
Speaker 1: Very similar experience. I was at McKinsey early in my career as well, about eighteen months into it. Our receptionist Linda said to me, Mike, you don't look happy. And I said, I don't know, Linda, this jobs like that. And she said, well, Mike, you know it's not address rehearsal that your life. You probably wouldn't do something else. She was right, and I got my you know, I got my head on what I mean, what I personally realized is I just I really enjoyed the doing I enjoyed the operating interesting and the you know, the advice you give in consulting. It can be a lot of fun to get to that point, but it felt so unsatisfying. I kept eating the appetizer, not the entree. So it's really helpful. It was great advice.
Speaker 4: It's great and that's why you've become a multiple time successful operating CEO.
Speaker 2: And you're awesome at it.
Speaker 4: I would have been allows the CEO because what I loved about McKenzie was I love the advisory work. I love the teamwork, I love the communications, I love the global network of it. I love the people. And so what I what I learned and what I've learned, and I've now done research and proven this and we'll talk about this in the five Patterns in the Career Playbook, is that those criteria that really are important. Number one is people. You can have the worst career, you could have the worst job description, you can actually make lousy money, you can have a really brutal lifestyle. But if you're truly working with people who you love, you respect, through your friends, you admire, you're going to be pretty happy. And that's why if you look back on people who've been in the military or in the police force or the fire department. They love it because they're like bond. There's a bond there. So people is number one. And then the second thing is what I learned again, you were an operator, so your strengths are going to run companies. Playing to your strengths is a really So back to the original question of our listener, in the age of and in your twenties and your thirties, try and be really self aware and get advice from your friends, your family, your colleagues. What are you're distinctive at. I was great at interviewing, I was great at communicating, I was great at writing. I'm actually good at selling and persuading things. So if you're in a role that plays to those strengths, you're going to be successful. And if you can do that with people who you like, then the financial success will inevitably follow. And the lifestyle if you can shape it a little bit, especially in our now more of a hybrid world, but that will also fall into place as well.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The next question it dovetails off of this nicely. Grace says, I'm early in my career that I've always performed at a high.
Speaker 2: Level, and I have ambitions to be a senior business leader. What can I be doing now to set myself up for success in the long term.
Speaker 1: So you talked a bit about some of your early experiences and you've seen a lot of people's trajectory. What are those? What do people do?
Speaker 2: How do we get there? That's a brilliant question.
Speaker 4: So and we've actually researched this and in the book The Five Patterns of Extraordinary Careers, we did we interviewed over one thousand senior leaders, and we surveyed scores of thousands, and we were looking for the differentiators and that's where those different cerentiators between the good and the great are the five patterns. There are two things in those five patterns that are at the heart of the question. Number one is you have to do the basic job well. It sounds trite, but you have to do whatever your job is. You have to do it well. You have to be really responsible, and then to do it with a good attitude, especially as someone in their twenty I think it's true no matter what age. But doing it with a positive attitude, it can do attitude, be responsive to your colleagues to if you have clients or customers, to your clients or customers, be responsive and have an attitude of how can I help so, and just do high quality work. That's essentially the ticket to the dance. But that's not the real answer to the question of how you differentiate and make it to that corner office. It's really about differentiating yourself based on doing more than what's asked. But here's the distinction. Back in the research for the five patterns, and we did an analysis of the kind of the top quartile of executives, and most of them the survey and the research was to what extent do you meet your objectives? And basically on a self reported basis, everybody says, of course, I meet my objectives. And then the people who are the top quartile, they overall exceeded their objectives by about twenty twenty five percent. So if they were in sales, they'd overdelivered their quoted by twenty five percent, if they were in operations they would deliver better costs by twenty percent. If they were in finance whatever cost of borrowing makes sense. But the top five percent tile actually only met their objectives. But before we figured out. We was like, wait a second, there's a mistake in the data because these are the demonstrated top five percentile. But they just meet their objectives. When we did the follow up, we did something like three hundred follow up interviews to get at the heart of this question, and they said, no, just doing twenty percent more, that's not the thing. What we were able to do is free up some capacity doing a great job in the basics and then thinking what would add value to my job, or to my team, or to my department or to my company, and then do that. And this is where you can be very much of a proactive person. Your boss isn't going to really know what else you can do. You know your job better than anybody. Do the basics, do it really well with a great attitude, free up time and say, huh, I can do this, and whether it's a side project, it can go back to being an intern and sit and volunteer to do the summer outing. Or you can be a CFO and all the way at the top and freep to time and serve on an external corporate board. Or you can be a division head working on your division and say you know what I actually think there's an opportunity to do an enterprise wide AI strategy. I'd like to do that. The principle applies from the beginning of your career to the end. So it's the differentiation and here's the thing. Do a great job on the basics, free up time to do something different that meets two tests, that adds value to the organization, and that you bring others along with him, so you're not considered just a grand standard.
Speaker 1: You talked before you went and got an MBA. I get that question a lot early in your career. Is it a good investment of time?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What's your framework for that? And what do you see in other successful leaders?
Speaker 4: It's changing a lot, Mike. Back when I went to business school, I don't have the numbers on the top of my head, but back then the Fortune five hundred CEOs, there were a lot of Harvard MBAs, and it was like the Supreme Court it was today, it's not nearly so much. A lot of founders, not only today, not recommend MBAs, A lot of them. You know, I don't even recommend going to college exactly. I think that's a risky strategy. I'm a big personal believer in education. I think education is a huge opportunity both to develop skills and to develop relationships. Relationships will be something that carries you through your career.
Speaker 1: And it's probably debatable if it raises the ceiling, but it definitely raises the floor.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 4: That's a great way to say so. In general, I'm supportive of it, but with particularly with the question of MBAs, it's a if you're in that top twenty schools where the network are going to really be a part of your professional future, then it could be worth the opportunity cost of coming out full time and the cost of doing that, But if it's not, if you're not in the top top group then and you really want the skills, there are lots of different opportunities to get the skills today, and it goes back to this eighty twenty rule. Just freeing up some capacity, you know, getting advanced education, and whether it's on a course basis through companies like Coursera, or if it's online education through degree programs. That's the way I would think about it.
Speaker 1: Nail the day job, do the side job, bring other people along with you, and you don't necessarily have to take the two years off you can learn through the side hustle. We've been part of the question on AGA and Nashville had hit me up on LinkedIn and asked, is like, is it better to be a generalist or a specialist? And how long do you need to spend and role? So that's highly related to this question. Do you have a deeper perspective.
Speaker 4: In the end, And I'll answer Mike by going backwards to me. In most cases, generalists lead big organizations, big teams and solve big problems and have bigger impact. But to get to be that high impact generalist, you have to be known for something if you've got to do something.
Speaker 2: So my.
Speaker 4: Ideal recommended pattern is start a little generalist. You have to start with something, whether it's sales, finance, technology, engineering, something physical, it doesn't matter. Start and do it well. But in your twenties, try and get a lot of different experiences. See what you like, see what you're good at, see where you're thriving, and then by think of it in kind of decades. So in your twenties you're trying out lots of different things. By the end of the twenties, you want to say this in the career playbook. You want to essentially declare your major. In my case, I was going to be a human capital or recruiter. You want to be a finance person and technology and engineer whatever it is, and then do a great job in that. But through this principle of finding other ways, then you add add value in outside ways and you become more for generalists. And by the way, this leads to a really really important question, which is how do you you can become such a specialist and so valuable to your organization that how do you actually move So I think there might be other questions about about that. Let me go to the next one, and we're starting to get there. John David and Tuscaloosa, Alabama said, every.
Speaker 3: Interesting job posting, I see it requires me to have experience in that job already.
Speaker 2: How am I supposed to get a job that requires me to have already had the job? And why would I want to do a job I've already done?
Speaker 4: So you actually teed this up quite nicely. Well, that's such a great question, and it is. It's something, it's a conundrum, and I call it the permission paradox.
Speaker 1: Permission I remember, I remember that you.
Speaker 4: Can't get the job without the experience, but you can't get the experience out of the job, so you're you know, but you don't want to be defeatists. So how do you actually over come that permission paradox? And there are strategies to do that, but by the way, just be encouraged everybody. It's not only at your entry level or the manager level. It's all the way to the CEO suite. You know, you're on public company boards, you know, pup boards say oh, we're recruiting for CEO. We want someone who's been a CEO before because we don't want to take the risk.
Speaker 1: We want a board director. Make sure they have public company board experience exactly.
Speaker 4: So that permission paradox is there throughout your entire career. So the understanding it and being able to overcome it is actually a really valuable lifelong skill. So the way to overcome that is well, there are few ways. Number one is to break down whatever the next job is into its component parts. And let's say it's a manager, where you will have had to the listing on LinkedIn says you will have had to manage five to ten people a budget of xyz.
Speaker 2: You will have had to drive revenue and manage costs or something like that.
Speaker 4: And let's say you haven't been a manager yet, so you're breaking into your first manager job. You take each of those things and you try and find other ways to get that experience. Okay, so you haven't been a manager in your current job, but let's say you're the coach of youth soccer team, or you're doing the budget for the school fundraising drive or something like that. You just you address it and you say, well, I know the listing is asking for all these skills. I haven't done that all in my job, but I've done it in these five different places. And that way you kind of build it up and then you break. You give the opportunity for them to take a chance on you because you've said, okay, you understand what their need is, but you've found a creative way to address that.
Speaker 1: I remember when I wanted to get to management and I hadn't been a manager, and it's a zero to one move, as you suggested, and I pitched my team on us getting some NBA interns because I knew nobody would want to manage them. So once we got the interns, I got the interns, and so for the summer. You know, at this point I'd probably read twenty books on leadership, and these two poor NBA interns came in. I was like, sit down, You're about to be managed like you wouldn't believe. But then you get a small piece of it, you get a jumping off point. Yes, we go next to Darius in Washington.
Speaker 3: I have a big interview coming up. Well, mistake to people making interviews and what are the keys to impressing someone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: So the interview is with a type company? So what should I weary?
Speaker 1: And by the way, I went to my Google interviews how many every many years ago in a suit from NBC and I'll never forget how weird I felt walking around the Google campus and a suit and tie. So we can help you.
Speaker 4: Darius, Darius question, and as I said at the early part, interviewing is sort of my hobby and passion.
Speaker 1: How many thousands of interviews have you done?
Speaker 4: I've estimated that I've done now approaching fifteen thousand interviews I wrote. I wrote an article on LinkedIn. I think it was my number one read article, I think four hundred thousand reads, and the title of the article was interviewing to live living to interview. Okay, and I've been in so many interviews and as I said earlier, being this is.
Speaker 1: The number one interviewer in the world. So what do we need to know?
Speaker 4: First of all, the interviewer, they're just they're trying to solve a problems, just like open job exactly, and so they're looking to do If you recognize you can be the solution to their problem, then it changes the power dynamic, It changes your mentality. You're not nervous, you're trying to understand what it is. So a few tips on that. Number one is try and really if you can research the person that you're going to be interviewing with. Now in this wide information world that we all live in, you might not know, but that's possible. You know, to ask someone in advance to be set up. Who am I interviewing with? Number two here's some There's been tons of research on interviewing, and this is something to take advantage of when you're the interviewee, but something to be cautious of when you're doing the interviewing. Most people make a decision in their first five minutes, even in their first three misure and the psychology psychological research shows that people make a decision in the first three to five minutes, and then they spend the next twenty five minutes or forty five minutes, whatever it's scheduled, looking for data to support the decision that the I've already made.
Speaker 1: We've talked about Daniel Connerman and Daniel Conoman and show all of his research shows the way that we make these instinctual, emotional decisions.
Speaker 4: And by the way, sometimes those decisions are not bad. But as an interviewer I train people on this all the time. You really have to resist that and be aware of it and look for real situational situational data, behavioral data, cultural data. But most people don't do that. Most people will in the first five minutes, which means that you really need to have your opening answer. You need to when you if it's in person or on zoom. How you introduce yourself, how you sit down, how you shake a hand, what you're wearing is essential because they're going to have a huge impression in the first thirty seconds. So the opening is key. So whatever they whatever they ask, So Mike, tell me about yourself or you know, why are you interested in this? You want to have you want to practice in front of a mirror. You want your two minute opening statement, which basically quickly tells your story in like two minutes maybe three minutes, who you are, where you came from, why you're interested in this job, and why you might be great for this job. Rehearse that and have that no matter what they ask. That's the answer to the very first questions like how's the weather great? You know, and it's like, oh, great to see you today. Well, let me tell you why I'm really excited to be here today, Mike, and you do you do that? So having a two or three minute rehearsed opening statement of who you are and basically a little bit of a narrative, not just the other thing is so now you've had a good opening and now it's five minutes in and now they're asking you about your experience, and like you apply these these principles like the permission paradise say oh, Mike, you haven't been a manager before, and said, well, yes, I know that's what.
Speaker 2: So you have that.
Speaker 4: And you also want to talk very humbly about what's worked well and what hasn't worked well. You don't want to be arrogant, and you really want to be come across as self reflective. Let me tell you the environments in which I've really thrived and why I think this could be a great fit.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that as a hiring manager when I ask someone, you know, what are your weaknesses? What are you and they tell me and I try too hard, I care too much. I mean, the interview just is over. It is over, and you've got to be constantly learning and reflecting on what you've done wrong and what you've learned from it. Exactly having a humility show in an interview is so important.
Speaker 4: Okay, most first interviews like yours, Darius, probably coming up, is probably going to be half an hour, and they're going to make this decision very quickly. But in the last five or seven minutes they say, okay, well let me turn to you. What questions do you have for me? And there's a real temptation, especially early in your career. You want to be polite and respectful. That's great, but you say no, no, I don't want to take more time, and then they leave, and that's a huge opportunity missed. You would be shocked at how many hiring managers basically say, oh, I really like her for this job. Why because she asked the best questions. Okay, so how do you actually ask the best questions? Here's the way to ask the best. This is so simple and so powerful and so doable for anybody about to do an interview. Whatever company you're going to interview, go into Google and type the company, say you're going to interview into it. You put in into it CEO, Q and A and then Sosan Ga Darzi the CEO of Into it will be shown on CNBC or whatever and Reuter's whatever company, and you'll have professional journalists who have spent with producers preparing really good questions about the company, the culture. You basically take those same questions and then you put them in your own voice. Then you get the said, wow, they've done their homework. That's terrific advice. I've always been astounded.
Speaker 1: I've interviewed executives right who've asked me, you know, what are the company's priorities? And I've been like, we're public company. I tell everybody every ninety days like little bit of research.
Speaker 4: But so if you went on you know EXO, CEO, Q and A, you they've given so many interviews and then you pick three or five. But the other thing about so prepare in writing, have them written down or typed up, have them there, Because when you get to that question, what questions do you have for me? You want to look down at your notes. And it's okay even if you're in person to have a little notebook or have a chatty that you're prepared. That's right, Thank you, Jamal and Charlotte says, Hey, I'm.
Speaker 2: A fintech recruiter in Charlotte.
Speaker 1: What's your advice for finding the right candidates and getting them interested? So another recruiter wants to know from the best, how do I do it?
Speaker 4: Most people make decisions on a very emotional basis, and they want you want to know what's really important them. And then again it's this is a perfect example of it's the same situation on the other side of the coin. You know, what are they trying to accomplish and why is this company or this role a great fit to their priorities. As a general thing, I think that we've done a lot of research on this, mikeid Spencer Stewart. The role of purpose and mission has become one of the most important differentiators for people looking for great, great roles, and so I would go to, here are our values, here's our purpose, here's our mission, and here's how this role fits into that. So give them the big thing and then how this fits into that, and then talk about the culture. I think culture sells. We do boardwork for some of the biggest companies in the world, we do CEO work of the biggest companies in the world, and talking about where a culture is and what is celebrated and where that needs to change or evolve culture really sells as well. And then of course there are things pragmatically right now about flexibility, job mobility and where it's leading and all that, but I would really default to purpose and mission and how this role fits into that.
Speaker 1: I've also when I'm hiring someone, I spend a lot of time with them. I've actually maybe at least the last fifteen years, I haven't made an offer that somebody hasn't hasn't accepted because by the time we get there, right, we really know each other nice. And so you know, my suggestion to the to Jamal, who's the recruiter here, is have your business partners really involved in the process, and a lot and I'm always I'm always taking it back by how insufficient amount of time people spend on what I think are the most important actions they'll take in the year, which is assembling their team. So Jamal, it's also it's time and conveying. As Jim said, that energy around the mission and the culture and the people and the prize that you're after. People really feed on that. So a lot of our questions have been about these sort of early and mid career moves. That where we have a question here from Brian and Columbus who says.
Speaker 2: I'm fifty years old.
Speaker 3: I'm titled the old that I've done, but my career helped plots in the last few years, and now a lot of my contemporaries are getting tweezed out when there's a cost cut at the company. Is it too late for me to reaccelerate my career or to make a pivot?
Speaker 2: Brian, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: If hopefully you're again, I'm even older than you, and I feel very fortunate to be in good health and high energy, and I think being ambitious, curious, high energy, and really motivated well into the second half of hopefully a very long life is the way to go. And I actually think this is a huge both issue and opportunity for our economy as everybody has age lifespans extend. So number one is if you're healthy and fit and energetic, that absolutely it's not at all too early. But how you move mid career is very different than early career. And then there's a whole other topic ten or twenty years Brian from now, when you will have been doing something again, and then you have to think about what most people refer to as retirement. And I actually don't believe in that word. I believe in moving from phase to phase to phase. There's an amazing book I wish i'd written it called From Strength to Strength?
Speaker 2: Did you ever read that?
Speaker 1: I just read it.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I'm too young, fortune, Yah, you're too young, but it's really good. It's about how to think of the sort of last twenty or thirty years of your professional life and how you wanted to play yourself.
Speaker 2: So check that out.
Speaker 4: But the point is that you move from a say age fifty or in your fifties, you want to build on the experiences you've had and then try and find new ways to apply that experience. Let me tell you the story just a great example of this my brother in law. We're here at iHeart. He was a lifelong senior executive in the music industry and music promotion and he was brilliant at it and go to radio stations around the world many iHeart stations and get the labels acts on air. That jaw that role and the role of promotion has changed dramatically. He went into live entertainment. But what is he doing now? He's got a private aviation company. It's like, how did you get from one to the other. It's a ten year process. What he did is when he was doing music promotion, oftentimes he had to go bring the acts from point A to point point to point B around on these tours and stuff, and so a lot of times the labels would have to he'd have to arrange charters sometimes propeller things, but go from play to place to place to place. And he developed a lot of expertise in that. And during COVID when when a lot of the commercial travel didn't work so well, he had all these clients or these relationships where he was doing representing them and he has a music management company, but he was solving problems and then all of a sudden, other people were saying like, oh, I know you, you send you know so and so on these things. Can you help us? You know our family, You need to go to Florida or whatever. He created this this great, great charter aviation company called Right Lane Aviation.
Speaker 2: It's amazing and.
Speaker 4: He just it's so anyway, there's ways to apply the experience that you've done in one thing to other ways.
Speaker 1: Lee in New York City says.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty interverted and not much of a networker. How do I make sure I know the right recruiters and that I'm on their rata so that my career opportunity is prevent this out.
Speaker 4: Most jobs are not gotten through recruiting. They're gotten through referrals. And actually they're not even gotten through referrals of your friends. They're really most of them are referrals of people who have referred you, so their second level referrals. I'm going to come back to the answer, but I'm going to give a very important suggestion. When you're looking for a job, you want to help make it easy for other people to help you, and everyone will say, oh, how can I help? You need to have a very crisp answer to what you're interested in, and think of it as planting a seed with anyone you're talking to. Mike, I'm actually interested in a human capital position in a tech company.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: And Mike will be out at a party and someone will say, hey, do you know someone who can help me on our talent teams? Like, oh, I just talked to I just hurt. So have that and share that snippet very broadly, and think of that as kind of a seed that's planted and it could go across you use the word.
Speaker 2: Networking.
Speaker 4: I'm in the recruiting business, in the relationship business. I've got all this stuff. Personally, I'm an introvert and I I hate networking. I think I think of networking.
Speaker 1: I'd rather eat a lanyard than put it on and walk around in the conference exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a little walking.
Speaker 4: People hate it, and by the people hate being networked too, so so get rid of the even that my the word, oh, networking. I find that really cringey, and think of it as relationship building. And in a relationship ship, there's a quid and a quid brogo, and there's how can I help? If you come up into conversations with how can I help all of a sudden, it's not a networking thing. And when they ask you how can you help, then you say, well, I'd be really interested in being human columing and technical intelligence in that. And then there's another way to think about this challenge. And it's hard. I mean, trust me, I know. Look at looking for jobs is really hard and really stressful. In the timeframe that you're doing it, it's never fast enough and it's uncertain, and there's self esteem issues that come up. Use the process as a learning journey and you can you can now where anyone can be a publisher. One tactic is to do an article, even if it's self published on Medium or on LinkedIn. You can talk to people and say, I'm doing an article on the on the best practices in human capital talent acquisition in technology. Can I get ten minutes of you to chat about that. You do that, I'll get your fifteen people. You get your access and people will be much more interested. If you're doing that article, then oh, I'd like to have a courtesy interview about a human couple. You can do that with any topic. And that's another tactic.
Speaker 1: I'd echo that I wrote an article for first round Review and the title is something like, don't network, build your meaningful connections. And it was very much that you know, all the good things that have come to me through a quote unquote network in my career been someone else I just like and probably have done something for and then they thought of me rather than the other way around. I will make one note specific to recruiters is eventually they'll find you and reach out that don't just say no. Say no, but here are two or three people you might like. I always like to leave a recruiter with other folks because what have you done. You may have helped somebody who you think highly of land a job. You've helped a recruiter solve the problem they're trying to solve, and then you'll get the call next time. Because even if you're not the guy like, at least you know people know you're on the floor and you can help a good source put yourself into the ecosystem.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, Mike.
Speaker 1: This has been a ton of fun and really insightful and for me, like I've been, this is a conversation I've been looking forward to for twenty years, so very special. Thank you for doing it.
Speaker 4: Talk about this stuff all day.
Speaker 1: Well, my friends, we covered a lot of ground today from how to interview and how to shape your career and how to make these important choices throughout. But if I were to take one observation from this really insightful and inspiring conversation with Jim, you heard from someone who has broken down into its component parts, this ambiguous and overwhelming thing that is your career and your career plan. And I want to encourage everyone to do the same thing. Don't just think about your next job, don't just think about your next promotion, But as Jim advised, think about what are those things that I enjoy? What are those requirements that I have in my career? What are those internalities things that I'm really good at that I want to build my career on. And I'll remind you I'm here for you in this podcast, is here for you to help. You can always call in your questions or you can DM me on LinkedIn or Instagram. The number if you want to send in a text or a voicemail is two one three four one nine five nine six. You know you can find me online at Mike steib. We We put this podcast together to help people have extraordinary impact on their work and if there's anything we can do to help you, just give us a shout. I want to thank Jim for coming in. This was amazing, and of course I want to thank Jen, Cara, Meg Jada, Matt and the whole team at Blue Duck Media for putting this all together. Dylan, Sasha, Gay, Nathan and Christine at iHeart want to thank Bahd in the studio put it all together, and Ben and the rest of the team at William Morrison Dever for all their support. Office Hours is a production of Blue Duck Media and distributed by iHeartRadio. I will see you next week, Gang in the meantime on your grind