Speaker 1: Who could I call to put up a billboard in somebody else? CYD talk my shit?
Speaker 2: Able to do that? That isn't that's legendary. That's pretty good. I'm proud of that one. I need that one. That one was good. The backstory on that one is funny because originally I'm trying to buy a newspaper ad. They say it's one hundred thousand dollars just to put a newspaper a Yeah, well back then. Yeah, it's a little longer ago, but you're right, it shouldn't have been that much. But we were looking for estimates and uh, the Cleveland plane dealer, because Lebron was coming back home, refused to sell it to us. They said, no, we're not doing that. They refused our business. Uh, and so we needed an alternative. And it turns out that Akron billboards are like much less than that, and so so they saved me a lot of money. And it was like eleven or six Acron I don't remember how many Acron billboards and they all said, yes, Uh, you're welcome, Lebron love Miami is what they said. And I was going to fly a plane over as homecoming that said the same thing. It was set up. I had the banner and everything. It was set up. I will tell you a secret. I'll tell you a secret I've never I've never told before that. ESPN made me immediately take down the billboards and they immediately told me you can't fly that plane. And so I got a I got a call from a high ranking member of the Miami Heat Organization, UH saying I'm going to fly the plane. I'm going to do it. And I'm like, you can't do that, you can't, you can't do that. I'm gone fire. You're gonna get me fired. I'm not gonna have plause deniabilities that somebody else fly the plane. It's gonna look like an action.
Speaker 1: Whoever was talking about flying that plane was probably willing to go down with the motherucker.
Speaker 2: It was a dark cloud. It was for a while.
Speaker 1: We went in a funk for a while when we lost the king around here. I mean that, I don't know, that's just natural. It was a little dark cloud. It was for a minute when he left.
Speaker 3: Talk about that though, So you're in the you're in obviously the media uproar when bron chose to come here, and then when bron chooses to leave here. So talk about Yeah, talk about the highs and lows of on your side, what you're hearing, what you're seeing, what's going on when he says he's coming and the Big Three comes, and then when he leaves. I'd like to hear the difference.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was just profoundly grateful for all of it. It was just a it's a content bonanza. You're coming down to our city and you're making us like this just electrical pulsating thing for Paul millsaps Game seventeen, and you're like watching this thing that matters so much to the city because it's very much Miami against the United States. The only other time it's been like that was University of Miami football teams that make him stop being a Gator for a second, you know, like those because what those those teams were hated and Miami forged around them, and it was like, yes, this is an ethnic fun team that trample sportsmanship. You guys were that polarizing without any of the bat like, without any of the stuff that was going to horrify the white customer that you knew about that you knew about it, that you knew about it, right, but you guys. So you're the polarizing theme thing coast to coast, and only polarizing because you celebrated the championship before we dribbled the basketball.
Speaker 1: It would have hear something crazy because you touched on it earlier about how hard it is and it's not fun.
Speaker 2: People don't understand that.
Speaker 1: People think like, once we got that team together that it was fun and and they just messed and it just jailed and we just had to we had to parade. I tell people all the time, nothing about that shit was fun until you were riding down the street in that parade. That's the only part about that shit that was fun. None of that shit was fun because there was expectations, and we understood those expectations. If we don't win, they gonna blow this shit up. And now we sacrifice money. We sacrificed time. Mike talked about this before we sacrificed money. We sacrificed time, and we're getting traded some.
Speaker 2: Fun and and we're game away, game away, game in Boston. Away from your sacrificees meant nothing. That gooing laughter about the sacrifices that you made, laughing stocks because you guys took all the discounts and look at that. It was supposed to be easy. One of the weird things that I'll never get though, because God, you guys change the sports so much over the last fifteen years, so I figure that it's going to be easy that those years, and it wasn't easy. And I think you guys get the reputation that you have as hard earned champions because it was hard. If it had been easy, it would have liked Lebron would have been looked at less than and Dwayne too if it had been easy. But the part that was confusing to me. So Durant sees him do that, and Lebron did that because Pearce and Garnett and Allen were together, and Durant does it and they win easily, and I'm like, well, that must be fun, right, Like they win easily, Like it must be fun to play basketball like that. That's the greatest thing I ever seen. You can pass the Durant, you can or you can pass the step and Draymonald do all the shit.
Speaker 1: Only he wants to let me ask you this because how was that not fun for him?
Speaker 2: But why?
Speaker 1: And because I want to talk about this, But this is what I noticed Why was the Miami Heats team hated for the decision we made? But I think Golden State team was loved. We were more first go to take. They love Clay, they love stuff. That that team were first was lifted and they were loved. But when Braun came to us, we were hated. Why was that a different reaction from the media and from the world.
Speaker 3: I can answer to I think honestly, and I'm gonna let you answer too, because you'll be You're way better at that than I am. But I think the reality is like they hated us so much for doing it that they had to love someone else to do it. But before again, right like they hated us for doing it, they hated us for doing it. I don't know how you guy saw it on the media side of things, but like we it was. It was a blessing to me because I'd never been in relevance in the NBA. Like I hadn't been in relevance. Is the reason I came here. I wanted to see what I do on the stage. I wanted to like either I was gonna ship myself, I'm gonna actually perform. But that to me is they hate us so much that now you need someone to like. And when they did it, I think it was more of the like.
Speaker 2: On that side.
Speaker 1: I thought it was because step and play with light skin That's what I'm just being honest.
Speaker 2: See, see you know it was going around. I had the undercurrent of it, and I'm like, I can't say that I'm not. I felt it off him, and I'm like thinking to myself twenty words, he says light skinning. But also am I wrong? Am I wrong? Well? I look not how the two teams were perceived. I don't think you're wrong. And I think there are a lot of variables. And I think you were first and and and look that doing the thing on the stage. Yes, I don't need to tell you that arrogant black athlete. However, it is that you arrive at arrogant black athletes celebrating something before it has been earned is going to be seen a certain way. So there's that, but i'd put that off to the side. I'd also put in there that Dwayne and Lebron throughout all of that, became adult spokesman for things ranging from UH Trayvon Martin to UH to we need to improve our schools, and became adults in a way that Steph and Clay have not had to because Dwayne and Lebron were already doing that and we're sort of leaders there and and like I I found that entire time fascinating, captivating for a lot of different reasons. Uh, the brotherhood of Dwayne and Lebron was beautiful. Lebron coming here and taking a little brother role and doing two media sessions a day, and and and wanting to learn from Dwayne. It's a it's a beautiful story. If I wrapped that story in the Olympic flag and made it about like Olympic patriotism, we would love that team, right, Steve Currac Actually Steve I wrote that one time, and Steve Kerr wrote me a note saying before he coached the Warriors, what a beautiful thing to write in the middle of what that was going on, where I'm like, do you know how much America would love this particular team and this story? It's pieces right when I'm saying when I'm saying, Mike going to his mother's deathbed with a team who drives a convoy to the funeral home to be at his side.
Speaker 1: In Liberty City, nine o'clock I'm like Pat by nine third, you're gonna have to get up out of here, real talk. Pat, you got about thirty four minutes. I'm gonna walk you to Yoka. But Pat was, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Came that he would love Dwayne the way that he does, the game balls that I'm going after Tyler Hansbro like all the stuff you guys had. I was so proud to write about it, to see it, to feel it, to be next to it, to profit off of it, because you guys brought a whole economy of attention down here to sports. You guys, I moved to the Cleveland Er. We got a studio. I'm doing a speedo back with Charles Barkley. We're at the center of the universe in sports because you guys brought all of that here. Him with his bad.
Speaker 1: Back, Motheruck's still bad still. But I don't what you don't know about that story. I'll tell you something that you don't know about that story. As me and Mike were talking about that story and we talked about what they offered him, and we talked about what we were going to do because of the brotherhood that we have, and Mike crazy as hell. He was like yeah, if you ain't going, I ain't going, you know what I'm saying, And that was that's that's what my brother was like, what we what we're gonna do here, because we always wanted to have the chance to play together and we talked about that since college. But that was around the time that the game was changing and the three point shot was what it was. It was either dunks in the paint or it was three point shots. So obviously Mike was the choice at that moment, but we we were having conversations behind the scenes because you talk about that brotherhood and those things and those conversations. And then another point that people don't know is Lebron didn't know me, never played with me. Chris Bosh didn't know you never played.
Speaker 2: You were on Dwayne Wade's word is what you were on? Dwayne? You that Dwayne Wade cash that check. And it's like and it's like, we're all going to share our money here, and this is gonna be fun, right the five of them. So this is gonna be fun. Well, we'll just we'll take the discounts. We'll sign you guys, weren't They weren't signing contracts until the stage was coming up right, and you guys are taking millions less and and it's crazy to think that sports would be such a cauldron that you guys couldn't enjoy any of that when it seemed like from where I was watching, it was the most magical thing that for me, it broke you did. But how but how great is that you wanted to test yourself against? How cool is that? Mike? This is what I'm saying about what the cool parts of this story were. How cool is it that he wants to test himself against the best? He could have scored twenty a night for Memphis for the rest of time. No, I want to play against I want to play against the best. They think he's taking a shortcut. No know, if you give me fifteen shots a game, I swear to you, I'll score thirty aday. Like he knows he can shoot. He's taking a lesser role in the name of the sacrifice of everybody wants to be about winning, right, brotherhood winning? These are cool things for him to physically test himself against the best. I don't know what it's like to get up in the morning. Is his physical body It seems like it would be awful lose a shoe, lose a shoe, starts making threes, helps win the championship. It's a fucking beautiful story.
Speaker 1: So the way you see it now, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Way you see it now? Did you always see it like that?
Speaker 1: Or now if you've got no odering, you've become more experienced than there's different ways to look at this media thing.
Speaker 2: Is that how you see it now? Well, it's not even the media thing, it's sports in life. I really appreciate the hard things that people do to be excellent writers. I one of the things about the sports media that I think I can say it's probably a generalization, but we love sports. We're just not good enough to do what it is that you guys did, but telling the stories about it and loving it and celebrating it and being awed by the strength in it. I've learned that sports has taught me that. Like I told you when I started my career, the job was to remind you, not as Haslam that Shack has never had a power forward that was six'. Ten that immediately it was just to criticize or to be critical to not you, know, Uh and What i've learned is just to really by talking to you, guys having relationships with. You you guys were maximum. Professionals you guys always answered our. Questions where the high, school we're still the high school nerds that are near the jocks in high. School everything in adulthood is a little bit high. School and you guys always tolerated us buzzing around the locker, room and he never made us feel the way that you, know the locker room doors, open we might as well be spelling elephant dung and flies in your. Face you guys don't want us. There but you guys were, like always exceedingly, kind always exceedingly, professional and so you made the relationship something THAT i. BELIEVE i wish it were between media and athletes because it would be more.
Speaker 1: Respectful we've got just a few games left this season with eighteens battling out to make the conference. Championship get in on the action right now where my partner's At Draft Kings. Sportsbook they offering all new customers two hundred and bonus bests, INSTANTLY i for better than just five. Dollars don't let this slip. Away download The Draft kings app now and sign.
Speaker 2: Up use code.
Speaker 1: Ogs The crown is yours staying on all the action and use your two hundred dollars in bonus best On Draft kings same game parlays for a shot at the even bigger. Payout combine multiple best together from the same. Game love the thrill of live. Betting Draft kings got you. Covered bet live on in progress games right as they, happen making watching the game that much. More if sports betting is not available in your, state don't even worry about. It you can still join in on all the fun With Draft Kings Daily fantasy and have the shot to win cash. Prizes download The Draft Kings sportsbook app Now new, customers use my promo code ogs and bet just five dollars on any wager and get two hundred dollars in bonus best. Instantly that's promo Code OG's only On Draft Kings sportsbook