Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Lavow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up, Bloomberg reports, and Thropic expects to match or top the size of SpaceX's record setting IPO. Plus sources say Braad Comms in talks to raise more than sixty billion dollars in debt for an AI chip financing deal that will benefit Anthropic and others. And all eyes on Nvidia reporting earnings next week, a lot of pressure on it. Let's get right to our top story. And Thropics aiming for an IPO that could make history. The company expects to match or even top SpaceX's record setting debut, which in the first instance raised seventy five billion dollars. That's according to sources. The maker of Claude could fall publicly as soon as the end of this month. Bloomberg Sherening Gafari leads coverage of Anthropic, and Bloomberg's Leanna Baker leads the deal's team here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Both join us with more straining.
Speaker 2: Gonna start with you the basic details of what we're reporting here.
Speaker 4: Sure so we know that Anthropic is expecting to have an IPO that could matter exceed the size of SpaceX's record setting IPO quite recently. We also know we found out a few more details about their losses that their net losses in twenty twenty five were nearly forty two billion, and that's a fivefold increase from twenty twenty four. So that's going to be one of the key questions going into this, Right, there's this large IPO planned, a lot of excitement around the AI demand, but also questions around the very high cost needed to sustain this business.
Speaker 2: Leanna, there's a process happening here. In our report, we say that CFO Krishna Rao is kind of leading these earlier investor meetings. There's a confidential filing, a public filing will follow. This is your team's bread and butter, right, take us inside what we know is happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 5: Sure, so the story mentioned the CFO who's speaking with investors. It didn't mention the armies of investment bankers who are also there in the room or even behind the scenes trying to start to do early book building of who will be the investors that get in on this deal. These fees eventually do get paid to the banks, and it all comes down to how much does this IPO raise and at what valuation? That's another question. So you mentioned that Anthropic had been valued at nine hundred and sixty five billion, So in an IPO, do they get to one trillions, they get to one and a half two tres So those are all things that the bankers and the lawyers and the company. They have to figure this out, to figure out the support from investors. At what valuation you can support this deal. But it's really exciting for the IPO market, which always opens after Labor Day, and we'll be following when this S one finally hits and we'll get a look at all the financials for the first time.
Speaker 2: Right, Anthropic should have a lot of cash on its balance sheet, and so the question is why do a big IPO and sharene You spoke on stage right with Danielle m Oday, the president co founder of Anthropic in June, and you just put this question very directly.
Speaker 3: Why an ipo. What was the response at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, an IPO offers a repeatable process to raise large amounts of capital. Again, if you think about the incredibly high cost of compute to train a new AI model at the cutting edge these days can cost billions of dollars just for one model alone potentially, So you know, that's just sort of the state of play right now. So her answer was that we need to be able to raise money when we need. An IPO provides.
Speaker 3: That process, Leanna, I do want to get into the.
Speaker 2: I went back and checked my calendar from the time SpaceX flipped its S one public to IPO day was about twenty three days, and, like you know, I have a bit of shell shock from that period of time. I'm sure you and the team do as well of how it transpired, but it happened very quickly. So we're reporting that Anthropic might flip its S one public by the end of this month September. What happens, how does it happen?
Speaker 5: Sure? So you mentioned that Anthropic is already on file confidentially, so all they have to do is get their ducks in a row to make this public with the SEC and if they want to get on the road show, to get on the road after this labor day period. You know, analysts are saying this filing could hit as soon as next week. We have a report in on a specific timing. We said it could be within a few weeks, but it wouldn't be crazy to see this next week because as you mentioned, you have ten fifteen days maximum twenty three days, you know it. This all happens very fast, and IPOs are all about the market conditions. So SpaceX, sure it's trading a little below you know, its price, but it's still a massive company that went public. It's trading okay. It wasn't a total disaster. So if you're another company waiting in the wings to go public, you see that and you say, well, maybe we should strike when the iron's hot, and then don't forget. Also, open Ai is also keeping an eye on this, so Anthropic has that to think about too.
Speaker 2: The top line of our report, Anthropic is seeking to match or top what SpaceX raised and on a valuation basis two in the weeks to come. I'd also point out SpaceX just in the last ten minutes when above one hundred and thirty five dollars a share.
Speaker 3: It's IPO price.
Speaker 2: Bloombergshering Gafari covers Anthropiclyana leads the team on Blueberg deals. Thank you so much. As Entropic prepares for its IPO. The company is also addressing a key concern for its biggest customers, data privacy. According to a Bloomberg source, and Thropic plans to give businesses more control over where their data is stored when using its AI models, particularly its frontier models. Bloomberg Tech Managing ed as as Sarah Friars with us really important piece of reporting because Anthropic has been given so much credit for its commercial progress, but this was a key concerned customers had explain what we're detailing in that report.
Speaker 6: Well, Customers were concerned about Entropic retaining their data for a few reasons, but probably most of all because then Anthropic has their data and can train on it. Of course, Thenthropics said that it would not do that. They said they wanted to retain the data in order to guard against cybersecurity threats after some of the concerns earlier this year about potential breaches of customers there. They said, you know, we'll retain the data for a while to make sure that everything is fine. But of course that was not a popular plan with its customers, and it's deciding to give back more control.
Speaker 2: And Thropic declined to comment on our report, but it ties very closely to like what's happened in recent weeks and months, models acting outside of the instructions they've been given, and the focus on the race with open ai has been about enterprise right and arr what else do we need to know from this report.
Speaker 6: Well, Nthropic really does need those enterprise customers. It's so foundational to the success of that IPO and they're a leader right now in the market.
Speaker 7: But there are a lot.
Speaker 6: Of companies that are that are learning from Anthropic success. So you have Google, Gemini, you have open Ai they're trying and even even SpaceX. You know, they're trying to do things to cater to those enterprise customers that Anthropic has. It's still a very early market and so they do need to think about not just what do they think is the right move for cybersecurity, but balancing that against what their customers expect and require in order to retain those customers.
Speaker 3: BlueBag Tech head as a Sarah for I thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Indeed, now coming up broad cooms looking to raise more than sixty billion dollars in debt, We're going to break down one of the biggest bets yet on aim structure has a very complicated structure that the team are going to explain to us. This is Bloomberg Tech. Broad Coom's lining up another massive bet on AI. Bloomboats learned the chip makers in talks to raise more than sixty billion dollars in debt to help aanthropic and others secure chips and computing power. That's all according to sources. Blimbers Ryan Gord part of the team that broke the story. Actually this is not as simple as Broadcom going out and raising debt for itself. Can you just explain the structure of what we've reported.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a good point definitely to hit on at the start, because I think if you were to look at this headline, it could, you know, mean something quite different. But to break it down, I think in the most simplistic way possible. Broadcom is essentially looking to raise a special purpose vehicle that would be financed by others partners. We've already seen them sort of hint at this. They announced a partnership with blacks and Apollo in June that was essentially to finance a one giga what capacity compute sort of layer. This is essentially an expansion of that, so Borcom would go out and with those partners look to raise a chunk of money through debt that would essentially sit in a special purpose vehicle that would then go out and buy chips that.
Speaker 3: The Borcom makes.
Speaker 8: I think the interesting part of this deal is that you know, you have a situation where Boacom is not only helping to finance customers buying its chips, but is also then supplying them itself, So it's both the customer and also the capital provider in a certain way. I think what makes this seal more interesting is that Broadcom is going to actually effectively guarantee a significant chunk of that debt and therefore help to bring down the cost and make it safe for four investors who may look to participate in this SPV.
Speaker 2: It is somewhat comparable to what we saw from Nvidia in those large Wall Street firms, where the compute is the collateral in that case, but the firms are just to conduit to the capital third party capital.
Speaker 3: Doesn't come off balance sheet.
Speaker 2: I'm reading the details, so it looks like this could be up to one hundred billion, right seventy billion in senior secure debt thirty billion junior debt just fill in some of the other details for us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I think there's a there's the junior piece would be essentially guaranteed by Blackson and Apollo. The other sixty billion piece it could be as much as seventy billion we you know, according to sources. I think that's that's the key here. These are fluid discussions. Broadcom is not necessarily going out and saying it wants to raise sixty billion dollars. I just think given the parameters of what's been talked about here, it could be anywhere in that region. And I think if you put those two numbers together, you do give something that's in the region of one hundred billion dollars. I think taking a step back and just thinking about what this sort of looks like from the wider sort of AI infrastructure rollout. These are obviously kind of novel structures you just mentioned in video deal with the other private capital providers. It's in a way to two sides of the same coin. I think if you look at that deal, you have you know, some of the biggest sort of largest infrastructure financial infrastructure fans on Wall Street participating in that one. Here you have, you know, essentially private capital helping to you know, helping Balcon to sell those chips. I think we've seen this before, right, you look at things like aircraft leasing has happened in this way you think about data centers now. I think this is kind of the evolution of people are thinking on the fly with these kinds of structures, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of parts of the markets still have questions about it. By the way, from the equity perspective, broughk On up a percentage point following the report. Biomas Wrangel, thank you very much. That Broadcon deal gets right to a bigger concern over hanging the AI trade, the cost of funding it all, but record debt, issuants, higher rates, growing pushback on data centers, particularly in this country, all raising fresh questions about how quickly the build out can pay off.
Speaker 3: Delighted to welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Erica Klower, founder CIO CEO of Science and Technology Partners. Let's start with your interpretation of the reporting about this vehicle that Brocom is set up.
Speaker 9: Well, Thanks so much, lovely to see you this morning. And you know, this is an extension of what we've been seeing for the last several months, which is extraordinary levels of debt coming to the market to build out the AI infrastructure, and the market is having some indigestion with dealing with all of this debt. Just to wrap some numbers around it, it's quite staggering.
Speaker 10: We've had over two hundred and twenty billion dollars of debt issued so far this year, which is up more than double from twenty twenty five, and that's just year to date, and of course in twenty twenty four the levels were just about twenty so this is quite a big jump. And not only is the debt quite expensive, but there's so much of it so it's difficult to find homes for it. All the crepons have gone up, and so many of these companies are now having to face much higher borrowing costs than they had initially anticipated maybe six months ago.
Speaker 2: The reason that I wanted to get you back on Spoomberg Tech Science Technology Partners, a long bias fund, just zeroed in on the corners of the technology market we care about most. You're coming at this at cost of capital lens right for lots of people. They go straight to the circular financing question. How do you feel about that side?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it, of course is a concern because to offer financing to a customer and in turn expect that they will be buying your products is indeed circular financing, and so I think that this is a legitimate concern for all investors as they are examining these deals.
Speaker 2: In the United States, particularly ahead of the midterms, there is a lot of societal debate about the impact of data centers and there is action to push back against specific Do you have to model that into your outlook for CAPEX for growth of data center.
Speaker 10: I think this is such a good question because this gets at the heart of why we're seeing so much volatility in the market. It's not only that the cost to build out these MEGAAI infrastructure facilities are going to be higher because the coupon must be higher in order to get it placed, but also one will be carrying that more expensive debt, most likely for longer because of two key reasons. One you just mentioned, which is that in states like Pennsylvania, New York, Texas, there are data centers that are infacing whether it's regulatory or community concerns that are delaying some of the facility buildouts. There are also shortages of workers to build out these facilities, and there also are chip shortages, so all of this calls into question whether or not even these AI data centers will be built on time. And every month that goes by is another month of paying this fare very high coupon debt that is associated with this buildout ERKA.
Speaker 2: I would really value the long biased fund's action in response to what you see in the markets. Right since June, we've seen a correction in everything across the stack, memory, computes, other parts of the supply chain.
Speaker 3: How do you respond to that?
Speaker 10: So as a long buyased fund, we really look out over the next three to five years, and despite these very serious and legitimate concerns, we see extraordinary opportunity. We still think that we're very early on in AI infrastructure build out and more importantly AI uptake, And so far this quarter we've seen extraordinary results across many different sectors where earnings have come in ahead of expectations directly because they're using AI to their advantage, whether it is to control costs or advance innovation. And I think that is just the start. So what we do is we look at where we think that the most innovation will occur in the coming years, and we come up on the technology side in areas like memory, which have really seen a pretty sharp correction in many of those companies. We look to add to the companies where we think that there are best in class players. We look for optical interconnect as a replacement to copper as an extraordinary, extraordinary area of opportunity. We look to robotics, we look to space exploration. And then there are also incredible innovations right now in healthcare where companies are really using technology to advance their own discovery. So, for example, in areas like diagnostics, we've seen big jumps and we've seen a much more favorable regulatory backdrop and reimbursement backdrop for many of those companies as well.
Speaker 2: Erica Klod of Science and Technology Partners is great to have you back on the program. Thank you for responding to what is pretty big story in the markets today. Now coming up, Samsung is following in s k Heinig his footsteps in returning shareholders' buybacks in what could be the largest ever in South Korean history.
Speaker 3: More on that next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Software companies are deploying increasingly aggressive strategies to counter a crisis of confidence in their outlooks driven by fear that AI tools and startups will replace them.
Speaker 3: Some investors, meanwhile, see it is.
Speaker 2: A chance to get the potential survivors of the SaaS apocalypse at a discount to the high flying prices of the twenty tens.
Speaker 11: And that can be a great opportunity for investors to sort among companies that can survive and that maybe might not survive, or at least might not survive at the value they've been at. And so that's an area that I think for the long term investor, is really worth investigating. I do think the emphasis is on long term because it's hard to imagine that terminal value concerns can be alleviated in any one particular earning season.
Speaker 2: Let's discuss the tactics software firms are using with Boombo's Brodie Ford, who's published on this this morning, really interesting read. Can you just explain the basic tension in the story to.
Speaker 12: Us, software companies have had a pretty terrible year and a half. Right investors are convinced they're going to get replaced by AI. There's been a massive valuation meltdown, and by and large, software companies can't convince the market on virtue of their business results that their AI products are growing or accelerating revenue, and so they've turned to some kind of zany, cosmetic, sometimes aggressive strategies, you know, swapping out their leaders, fighting with analysts on earnings calls, renaming products to make them sound more like AI. And so in this story, we just kind of compile all the different novels, zany, whatever you want to call it, strategies that they've been trying to use to beat the SaaS apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Okay, so changing business strategy, you're talking up your competence in whatever areas different to doing a buy back. Buy back is just a very shareholder friendly policy. Yeah, bring us to that part of the story.
Speaker 12: Right, Failing all of the strategy we just talked about, you do a big buy back and that makes the market happy. I think the narliest one we saw was Salesforce, which borrowed twenty five billion to buy back twenty five billion and it's on stock and now you're paying interest for doing a buy back. And I think that one raised some eyebrows on Wall Street, but it just shows that they're really ready to pull whatever lever they can to help boost.
Speaker 3: Morale Bloomberg's brady forward. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Indeed, let's take a look at today's big number. Eighty billion dollars. That's how much Samsung's planning to return to investors this year, joining sk Heinex in sharing some AI win for and putting in motion the largest shareholder return program in South Korea's history. Bloomberg Executive editor Pieter Elstrom's back with us. You know there was reporting on this, but Samsung has followed on from sk Heinex's actions earlier.
Speaker 3: In the week.
Speaker 13: Yeah, talk about pulling levers to try to help your share price. You're seeing this out of South Korea in spades.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So today we got Samsung Electronics talking about returning eighty billion dollars in cash to their shareholders. That'll be through dividends and through some buybacks. They haven't said exactly how they're going to split those numbers, but as you say, it's going to be one of the largest buybacks in history, the largest ever in South Korea. Comes shortly after sk Heinex that it would spend about twenty nine billion dollars through November in order to buy back shares. Both of these companies are making tremendous amounts of money, and they've said that they want to give about fifty percent of their free cash flow back to shareholders at this point in one form or another, and a lot of that is driven by the fact that their shares are down quite a bit, so that's interesting.
Speaker 2: In sk Heinex's case, the stock was down fifty percent from a June peak, but still up one hundred and fifty percent, you'd state, and there was some dilution when they to eighty rs. What was Samsung's motivations for why now?
Speaker 13: Samsung's shares are not down quite as much, but they're still down a lot. They're down about twenty five percent from the peak, and they're making a tremendous amount of cash. They're going to make about two hundred and seventy five billion dollars an operating profit this year based on analysts estimates, huge numbers even for them compared with prior years. And they're looking at that share price that's come down quite a bit. They don't see the optimism that they saw in the past. They'd like to return some of that money to shareholders, probably buy back some stock. We haven't gotten the specifics on that, but buyback some stock to be able to push push the shares back up and give shareholders a reason to buy the shares again.
Speaker 2: But isn't Samsung doing super super well tons of profits and winning this AI thing?
Speaker 13: Well, Samsung is coming from behind, very unusual position for them compared to ske heinex Eskhynix had jumped out to a big lead in the HBM memory chips that are used in AI data centers, of course, so Samsung has gained a lot of momentum.
Speaker 3: In that area.
Speaker 13: They're competing in some cases exceeding s Khunnis in that field, but it's a very intense competition at this point. They're doing very well on memory chips. They're making a lot of money because prices have gone up so much. That's why we're going to see record profits this year from them, could be pretty phenomenal numbers going forward, and they'll probably have a pretty big year next year two. So they want to show shareholders that they can give some of this money.
Speaker 3: Back to them.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Peter Elstrim, thank you very much, indeed, Happy Friday coming.
Speaker 3: Up on the show.
Speaker 2: The first week of a trial accusing Meta of misleading the public and harming children has wrapped up. We'll discuss the arguments, what we learned, and what happens next. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. It has been a big week in the world of technology. Actually then as that one hundred is up modestly this Friday, but on a weekly basis, down for its first weekly drop since the week that ended Friday, July twenty fourth. There's been a lot of factors in that, and probably Bitcoin's the best case study. So Bitcoin is on track for its biggest or best week in about three years. One of the big factors was the Treasury's intervention in the bomb market, the Treasury saying it would at least double the size of long dated bomb buybacks. That is kind of what has been a catalyst outside of technology specific factors. We are bracing for a big earnings print next week from Nvidia, but risk on has taken Bitcoin with it. There is a big story playing out in technology this week, and that is Meta, which just started a legal fight. Mary Anne Frank's professor at George Washington University Law School, joins us to talk about what we've learned so far. This trial is an accusation by twenty nine states that Meta deliberately designed its platforms to keep children hooked to them and also deceive the public with some privacy breaches. But it's a complicated split of different state laws and one federal privacy law. Could you start by explaining the distinctions between state and national level.
Speaker 14: Sure, So the federal claims have to do with this federal statute that protects children's privacy under thirteen. Essentially, it says that if you are a company that wants to collect data about children under thirteen, you have to get parental consent. So the argument there from a federal perspective is that this company Meta and its products have violated that federal statute. And then you have these, as you said, twenty nine states that are saying in addition to that, there's violations of state consumer protection laws, and those mostly focus on claims that the company has made to the public about the safety of its products and services, in contrast to the internal documents and research that Meta has or they claim that they do have, that shows that these things are not true.
Speaker 2: Mary, Anne, really grateful for your de meeting expertise. You know, really simple level twenty nine states sue Meta. But this is playing out in a specific coll where there's an advisory jury, and the judge still needs to take that advice and decide both state and federal laws, and so, like lots of people, that's confusing. How best to simplify it?
Speaker 14: It is really difficult to simplify. It's a complex case. That's what's known as an MDL, a multi district litigation, And it happens when you've got several claims or many thousands of claims as we do here, that all seem to allege similar facts, similar harms, involve the same company Meta here, and it's a little bit like the tobacco litigation and settlements you saw in the nineteen nineties. And so what you have is one judge consolidating all these cases and taking what's called a Bellweather trial to take a look at some of these essential claims and try to figure out what the gist of them really is, how strong a party's arguments, and then see to go from there whether you can move these parties to settlements.
Speaker 2: The big headline of the week was that Meta, by its own calculation, faces a one point four trillion dollar potential penalty, right, which my understanding is just all of the potential violations and counts totted up in aggregate if they were to be found in breach of every single one, your your legal experience and expertise of that potential penalty, please.
Speaker 14: I think first of all, it's important to note that that's a number that Meta has given. This is not the number that the ags themselves, right, So the ages are saying we're really looking more at two hundred billion, which is still it's a lot of money, right, But when you think about the fact that you've got what eighteen billion dollars in quarterly profits for Meta, not that much, right, So, But I think Meta is putting out that number because it's trying to create the impression that this would be existential, right, This would be a Meta ending kind of fee. So I think that it's important to put that in context. And the idea that that's going to be the result here, I think is highly unlikely.
Speaker 2: Are there any precedents in the case law that will give us a guide of what might happen here?
Speaker 14: It's really difficult to say. I mean, we all know that in the last few months that we have seen some really important cases go forward against Meta and other social media companies that you know, ten years ago or twenty years ago simply would have been inconceivable because the way that the tech industry's immunity shield, the Federal Immunity Law Section two thirty was interpreted, these cases never even got to the stage, and so this is one of the first times that we're really seeing what's under the hood of these major social media companies. That's the biggest deal here, and it is somewhat analogous to some have said to some of the tobacco litigation, because there were similar claims there that tobacco companies were saying one thing that they knew something else at the same time, and that's what everybody is paying attention to.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: You frame this in the distinction between what Meta says publicly and the practices it has in place. There is also a technology story right about the platforms themselves.
Speaker 3: How important will it be?
Speaker 2: Therefore, in terms of what we hear from Meta and who Meta we hear.
Speaker 14: From, extremely important. Those are going to be the kinds of things that are going to have the biggest impact not just on the judge, but on the advisory jury and maybe most importantly on the public. It's going to be a question of pointing out that there are documents where Meta said something publicly, made promises to parents, made promises to Congress, and then you look at some of the internal documents and say, at the same time you said these things, you also knew this was going on. It's direct you know. The argument is that this is in direct contradiction to what you were saying publicly. So what these individuals who represent the company their words and what it is that they say to themselves when no one is looking, is really going to become I think the heart of this trial.
Speaker 2: Meta has you know, commented quite regularly in the lead up to this case, and again that one point four trillion dollar potential penalty is a calculation Metas made, not the states that are suing themselves. Just in fifteen seconds, do you see an outcome here that's tangible in the first week or not?
Speaker 14: Maybe not in the first week. But again there's the question of the ultimate outcome of liability and whatever that dollar amount happens to be. But the much bigger question is what is the public going to learn? What is Congress going to learn about what these companies were actually doing, What did they know, when did they know it, and what are they going to have to change going forward?
Speaker 2: Mary Anne Franks from George Washington University Law School, thank you very much. There's message being sued by this pipe artisan coalition of states. We mentioned the company says it can face potential penalties of as much as one point four trillion does if it loses the trial, which raises existential questions about the future of its core business.
Speaker 3: Bloombos.
Speaker 2: Ryan Vselica from the equities desk is with us. You're looking at this from the stock perspective, right. Our investors really worried about the legal headwind here.
Speaker 7: Well, we've seen the staff come under pressure over the past several days, and it does seem like it coincides with the start of the trial. Like you mentioned, this could be a potentially existential risk for the company. The problem, according to the investors I've spoken to, said, it's very difficult to game out what the ultimate impact is going to be here. We don't know what a verdict would be, we don't know what the penalties would be, we don't know what appeal systems would look like. There's a lot of big questions out there. But it is another risk for the company at a time when people are already sort of souring on it. We've had a lot of questions about how much spending it's doing on AI, and it seems like the ROI side of things is harder for them than it is for other companies like Amazon or Microsoft or so forth. So this is just another element of uncertainty for a company that's already been living under a bit of a cloud.
Speaker 3: Right, Ryan, just go back to that key chart.
Speaker 2: The underperformance of Meta gives size and scope on that underperformance quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think it's down double digit percentage this year. I think Tessa's the only other name in the mag seven that sort of comparable to that. Naszek one hundred is doing pretty well this year. I mean that's largely due to the susseemic conductor sector, but Meta is a very dramatic underperformer, especially relative to the other AI spenders Memory chips.
Speaker 2: In the news cycle you've been take can you look at the sect So what are you writing about?
Speaker 7: Well, we've seen Memory, as has been the case for a while, become under a heavy amount of volatility. We saw the group kind of try to rebound earlier this month, but since then they've really taken another step lower. There's a lot of uncertainty out there about how durable is AI spending going to be and how durable.
Speaker 3: Is the growth going to be for these companies.
Speaker 7: People still view them as pretty attractively valued, and they still see a pretty strong fundamental backdrop. And I would note that SanDisk recently had an investor day where it gave some very positive long term financial targets. But there's a lot of debate about here, like maybe they've already seen peak growth, maybe they've already seen peak enthusiasm, and what is going to be the next catalyst to help them regain their leadership Right now, it seems like people are having a difficult time answering that question as far as what could take these stocks back to the records they were at not all that long ago.
Speaker 2: There's rhyme for Sedica, thank you very much. Indeed, coming up, Smikle, managing director of Kysla Bench, is going to join us to discuss the first investment in Discovery Loop.
Speaker 3: That's the AI startup.
Speaker 2: From Google's former chief scientist, something that was massive in the news cycle over the last ten days.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: A new AI startup called Discovery Loop has set out to boost the speed of scientific experimentation. It was started by former leaders at Google, including the company's chief scientist Jeff Dean, and has backing from high profile investors, including Coast Adventures, which code Let co led the seed round. KOSA managing director Sam Ule is here to talk about it. Smith, Welcome to the programs. This is one You're very welcome. This is one where people kind of want the backstory. So, like all good stories, let's start at the beginning. How did this all come about?
Speaker 15: Or Yeah, there's a lot of talk about this magical deck that apparently has been out there for the financee and yes, and as the guy that's leading the seed round, I'd like to see the deck, which I've yet to see. So there's a lot of lare already about this. Look when guys like Jeff Dean and his team, who are responsible for so many innovations at Google, TensorFlow, TPUs, Gemini, they come to you and say, look, we're coming up with it. We're going to leave after a collective eighty years at Google to start a new company that's going to be based in engineering and research and improving science. How do you say, no, We were just honored and thrilled that Jeff considered us to co lead this round.
Speaker 2: You know, Smith, you will appreciate right that the headlines of Jeff but others leaving Google and the kind of the changes in structure they made, that was big news. And so what was kind of the latency When did these conversations about discovery loops start relative to that period of changes at Google.
Speaker 15: It's all relatively recent, So this isn't something that's been hatched at least with us for a year or something along those lines. It's relatively recent.
Speaker 3: It moved very quickly.
Speaker 15: Just because of the caliber of the founders, and it's very consistent with our thesis. So we were the only venture firm in the first round of open AI because we believed in LLLMS. We were the first money in a company called General Intuition because we believed in world models and RSI. We believe is going to be the key to advancing science and engineering principles. RSI.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 15: AI is going to design experiments, it's going to test and figure out what the results of that experience are going to be and then it's going to design another thousands and thousands of parallel experiments in a closed loop system to give you answers about you know, what type of magnets should be used for fusion, types of battery materials for solid state battery is for electric vehicles, for drug discovery, for drug development. I mean, it's just an incredible tool like llms, like world models, and to have a guy like Jeff and his team lead that efforts just a dream.
Speaker 3: So that dream is what I want to get into.
Speaker 2: Because open AI and Thropic, Google Deep Mind, like other larger labs, are looking at similar domains. That's not their sole focus. So what is the distinction with Jeff and the Discovery Loop team. What is their technical advantage?
Speaker 15: Well, they've developed many of the principles that allow you to do RSI. And second, I think the large companies, especially if you're public, you can't be as focused and take as many risks as you can as a private company. Jeff's sole focus with Sunjay and Oriel and Quack are going to be RSI. That's it for science and engineering. He doesn't have fifteen other masters to respond to. That's going to be his sole focus. He's going to clearly be able to recruit a killer team and stay focused on that big prize.
Speaker 2: You started this conversation saying if there was a pitch deck, I didn't see it. So it sounds like, you know, the evaluation of the potential here was on their legacy, that their work to date in this field.
Speaker 3: Is that fair.
Speaker 15: Well, it's what the potential opportunity is the company that takes We've seen it already, you know, You've talked a lot about Anthropic on your show this morning, but Anthropic and Opening Eye and pioneering frontier models. You know, it's it's been speculated that combined they're already at one hundred billion dollars of revenue and nearly two trillion dollars of market cap. And if you believe that RSI is equally as profound and as impactful, and then you've got you know, four gentlemen who are as distinguished as these four, you know, it makes it a relatively quick investment decision in our investment committee.
Speaker 2: We're getting into the domain of the opportunity as referenced by the potential return. And it's so interesting, like Discovery Loop is also structured as a public benefit court. Sure, right, So going in at that seed stage, how do you get sort of the venture scale return from that structure?
Speaker 15: Well, I don't think that structure inhibits that at all. In fact, that structure may attract different types of engineers that want to work on this problem and be it a public benefit corporation. I mean, look, we invested in an open AI when it was still a nonprofit and it may be the most profitable investment we've ever made in twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys are not disclosing the size of the round or the valuation.
Speaker 3: It's a seed stage round, but.
Speaker 2: As we've written about a lot this year, the term seed is starting to not really mean anything. A coconut seed, a mango seed round. You know, I think about like humans and you're laughing, But think about humans and right, a group of a small group of individuals raising hundreds of millions of dollars out the gate at a very lofty valuation. Would you say that Discovery loop is on par with that level?
Speaker 15: Well, the prize is big enough that it warrants the round and the valuation that Jeff and his team have achieved. Let me just put one thing in perspective.
Speaker 1: Ed.
Speaker 15: So, when I moved out to Silicon Valley in two thousand and five, soon after the word unicorn was coined for a company with a billion dollar valuation, meaning it was so rare it was like a unicorn. You fast forward a decade or so after that word was coined, you now have twenty or so trillion dollar companies and a unicorn, by the old definition, is being funded on a weekly basis. So you have to reset everything in terms of what valuation gives you, venture scale returns, what exactly a seed round is because we may be sitting here in five years where there's a dozen or so ten trillion dollar company.
Speaker 2: Let's catch up in that timeframe and we'll see if you were right well, samkl coast of the event.
Speaker 3: Has been great to have you on blombo tech. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Some other news headlines in Talking Tech, first up Chinese robotics startup dex Mile, backed by tech giant Ali Barber, is seeking evaluation of three billion dollars in an ongoing funding ground, showing strong investor appetite in the country's embodied AI advancements. Follows Unitary Robotics raising nine hundred and four million in its Shanghai debut. This week, plus, open ai released a new feature that would allow chat GPT to read, write, and send text messages, in a move sparking privacy concerns. Open ai is stressed that the feature would require a user's consent and the plug in would run locally on Mac and use existing operating system tools. And SpaceX and AST space Mobile have expressed interest in acquiring Grain, a company providing wireless phone services directly from Space. Sources say Grain asked interested parties to submit preliminary offers with hopes of reaping six billion dollars from selling its licenses. Elon Musk waiting on next responding quote, not true to the report coming up. All eyes are on in video as the tech giant sets release at second quarter earnings next week.
Speaker 3: It's the big one. This is Sploomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: In videos in early talks with South Korean chip start up Rebellions about possible collaborations, sources say. In video, CEO Jensenwong met with Rebellion's co founder and CEO of Sungian Park on the potential deal, which could include a technical partnership. The chip firm raised roughly eight hundred and fifty million dollars from investors including s ke Heinix, Samsung and Armholdings, and was recently valued at two point three billion dollars. Let's stick with in video it's highly anticipated second quarter earnings the sex comand next week the street sees sales of ninety two billion to ninety five billion, either way, double what it was one year ago. Let's discuss what to expect with Kunjensavani seen Semia ducts ran less for Bloomberg Intelligence double a year ago, but a year ago is double the year before.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 2: The main point is that you know the momentum in video's growth, it seems intact.
Speaker 3: What are you looking for?
Speaker 16: I mean, we again expect decent beaten race, but I don't think that will be enough. It never has been.
Speaker 3: In the fort talking about the market reaction for the market's.
Speaker 16: Reaction, yeah, I mean if they get close to the hundred mark, that will be something. We don't expect that given the supply constraints. But the focus right now is on three key areas. One, the concerns around vendor financing and off balance sheet obligation. Second, we would love to hear something positive on the China end right and one positive key impact form, which is the three Q guide. This is the first time ever that Vera Rubin we now expect to ramp day one at every single hyperscaler, frontier lab, cloud provider, neo cloud, you name it, which has not happened with Blackwell or the past prevision.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit more about that Vera Rubin, VERA CPU, Rubin Accelerator or GPU latest generation. And what I see from executive video is constant commentary that it's in full production, it's in ramp. So you think that this is out there in the real world, is it where you think there might be a surprise in terms of contribution.
Speaker 16: There could be a positive surprise. We at this point do not expect anything negative surprise. Again, the reason they're out and about so much is the last time when this time of the year black Holes is ranking, there were a block of hiccups, So they want to avoid any concerns or fears or rumors around hiccups. The only one thing on the negative side we're looking for is gross margin impact. We don't expect Investors are not hoping or bracing for a lot of gross margin impact. Remember, whenever a new product rams, it's a gross margin head win initially, but from what the company has suggested, it might not be as big as for impact this time around.
Speaker 3: Gensen, one will get questions about circular financing. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: So let's go to your China points right now. The assumption is zero from China. But you want to see in video say this is how we're going to be able to do business real quick.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we really want to hear that. I mean, this has been something that has been dragged out and we just saw news headlines right that China is now enabling there our orders in the book. They really want to see this come to revenue at least in the tens to twenty billion dollars.
Speaker 2: To start with, Bloomberg Intelligence is Conjensabani, who leads our research of Nvidia and the other fabulous chip names.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Seriously, an astonishing week in technology in markets. Also in the news flow and Anthropic's been the big one. So much to recap on the podcast you knew where to find it on the Bloomberg terminal as well as online on Apple Spotify, and iHeart markets are ending the week higher six percent on an adzack, one hundred bit down on the week and set for the first weekly drop since that final week of July.
Speaker 3: Have a great weekend, everybody. This is Bloomberg Tech