Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the merriland Talks Money Market Wrap, where we talk about the biggest moves and markets this week and what's been driving them. I'm Join Stewick, senior reporter and author of the Money Distilled newsletter, and then joining me in the studio today is Bloomberg's Private Companies Managing Editor Neil Callanan. Neil covers hedge funds, asset management, and real estate in EMIA. So in today's show, I basically wanted to talk about the AI industry. Wanted to give us structure out of what it's actually about, lay it out so that you can understand it better. They kind of who's producing the chips and who's producing the models, and then wanted to look at how that's funded and why. There are some concerns about perhaps the circularity of some of the deals in the industry, and Neil has written a lot about that. Thanks very much for being with us today, Neil. I was great to have you on the show, having not at all so but recording this on Wednesday. And probably the biggest story so far this week has been the route in the South Korean Cosby Index and Basically this is driven by the fact that Cosby is half of it is comprised of two stocks that are related to the AI boom, and that's skh Nix and Samsung. And also there is an element of retail investors getting in over their heads because they've been able to buy all these leveraged ETFs and so the costby went up a lot and then down a lot. I mean, one of the stats that really jumped out at me is that it's actually still up thirty five percent on the year, but in the last month it's fallen slightly formal set So yeah, okay, that's a proper roll off course at the moment. But does this tale is boy, does this suggest is about the overarching AI story because it's not just about Korean leverage. There's other stuff going on too, Isn't that absolutely?
Speaker 1: And Korea in a way is a special case because Korea has almost gamified the finance industry and the stock market. And you mentioned the lever gts, but they've been big on crypto and heather and things like that, stable coins for a long time and and you know those a lot of those investors in retail have grown up very accepting of those levels of risk and in many cases it has paid off. So, as you said, the COSPY is still up this year despite the route in recent weeks. But while it is driving a lot of the change at the moment is the fear that China is catching up. And China's emergence in AI, which was always going to happen but perhaps faster than people, is really concentrating minds at the moment. And we have seen in the past when Deep Sea came out of nowhere and released its models at the market disruption that that cause. And now we're going to a kind of second bout of that where in the space of just over a week you've seen massive progress in terms of memory chips, in terms of language models, and so China is definitely emerging. And one of the things around all is spending that we're seeing in AI is the assumption is that people are willing to pay for it and won't pay a lot for it going forward. And then suddenly if you have these cheaper models coming out of China and people start switching to that, then what happens with the names we're all familiar like with like open AI and Anthropic and so you know, there's definitely fears in the market about that at the moment, and I think people are definitely taking pots globally as a result of that. At the same time, a lot of this money is going to be spent. There is an investment case for it. It's whether it's getting ahead of itself at the moment. In certainly in terms of graduations, it did seem to be getting steamy at one point this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I thought we'd just kind of lay out roughly the AI industry and the business mode because I think a lot of the time, you know, we sort about AI and it's quite an amorphous kind of blob, and a lot of time we're thinking about chat GPT. I mean, the video is in there somewhere and all the rest of these things. But so always kind of looking at it. And that's what I was talking to you to AI about it and getting a sense of what the kind of value chain it. So you've got your you've got the machines that make them, So you've got the companies that make the machines that make the chips, and that's like your SML that makes the kind of lift up lithography machines and then you get the chip foundries themselves, and that's like the Taiwanese company t s MC. You've got chip designers and that's the video. So they're they're the ones that basically do the kind of value add element, isn't it. It's like they are they're making the brains for these things. And then all of these chips go into big AI hotels, the kind of data centers, and they're run by the same people that run what we used to call Internet hotels, the kind of data servers, like the Amazons and all the rest of this world. And then you've got the people who actually make the AI models and the AI models the brains of the AI live on the data centers, and that's like your open AI. And then they're selling them companies either big enterprise providers who kind of like garnish their existing offerings with AI, orange users like me and you, are smaller companies. Is that about the size of it?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Does that kind of sound about right in terms of what the EI value chain is and who all the companies are involved in this?
Speaker 1: But like this is so massive now that encompasses everything else as well. So they need energy and so we're saying boom and energy, and people are talking about leading up to three hundred gigawatts of additional energy power by twenty thirty. That's enough to power two hundred and twenty five million homes for a year just for data centers. Now, those things have to be built as well. You have to get people to build the data centers and build the energy infrastructure, et cetera. So construction firms are taking off as well. And so you know, in the US in particular, it's driving a lot of the economic growth, and any slowdown in this kind of spending will be negative for growth, not necessarily turn recessionary anything, but it would be negative for growth in the US. But this goes back your point about in the end. It comes back to the end users. Goes back to my point about China in a way, which is that you know, we need people at the end to be paying for these services in order to justify these investments. And when you look at the amount of money that are being spent by some of the hyperscalers in particular, which are these Internet hotels originally as you describe them, you know, if you look at alphabet th recent filing, it's forward spending commitments rows five hundred billion dollars essentially in three months now. Revenue, the future revenue growth grew but not by anything close to that, and that goes back to the fears people have about this entire ecosystem that is sucking up so much money and so much capital at the moment that people are kind of going, well, well, I don't know whether I want to have as much exposure as I could have to this. And you're starting to see that in the credit markets as well, where people are becoming much more discriminating about the deals they invest in and the price they're wanting to pay. And they're also hedging a bit more so this week Core Weaves CDs, which is the form of hedging against the fault risk that's risen't almost a record. The core Weave is one of these companies that is like a wee work of the GPU world, which is the chips, and they basically rent out other people what they're doing. And you know, people have become much more cynical in the last few weeks about deals, partly because they know so much of this stuff is coming to the credit markets that they don't have to buy everything and The question is whether people in the AI industry as a wider thing have become too complaisent about the idea that the credit markets will be there and be supportive of them, and that's not necessarily always going to be the case.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think that this is it is fascinating from that point of view, and that there really has been a wug bond issue and hasn't. And I mean we're talking about by some measures now the hyperscalers are the biggest issues of corporate investment grade debt, and you're used to being the banks and the other point but hyperscalers is that before all this they were they were basically running on their own cash generation. They were deemed as being essentially impregnable balance sheets. And while it's not negative that they've started, you know, recent or not started, they've now got a lot of debt. And for example, our for bet It's latest quarter was its first negative free cash flow quarter ever since it lest date. It's just a sort of sign of how much is out there and how these these businesses are kind of fundamentally being changed by this. And then you throw in China maybe turning around and doing it all much much cheaper, and suddenly you're kind of oh, your onions are going to be crushed, or so the Indians that we're hoping that you get might get crushed by this. And the one thing I thought was really interesting, going back to the debt point, as you involved in putting together this very complicated and now famous in a sort of local way chart about how this is all being financed. And one of the big things that's I think slightly worrying people as well is that a lot of the money seems to be coming from the people who raise the money in the first place, so like almost like a form of vendor financing. You've got companies that kind of make the chips, paying the people who buy the chips or who are going to rent the data centers that use the chips. Can you talk to us a bit more about about that and how that's kind of panning out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened late last year was I was sitting there reading story after story about these deals where companies were doing deals with other companies in the universe, and video has always been at the center of this, but the likes of Google, Ananthropic and open Ai were doing all these as well. And I literally couldn't keep up, and so we just had the idea and maybe we need to do a visual here and kind of show the levels of circular deals that are happening. And you know, this became something of a bad word in the nineteen nineties with fiber optic and when there was a big rollout of that, lots of spending and there was vendor financing, and there was capacity sharing and various other things, and then a lot of those companies went bus when the demand was in there at the end having invested in all that money. And of course the irony, of course is that long term the economy benefit and massively from that level of spending. It's just the companies involved. But noways so many of them ended up going bankrupt.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's the infrastructure story, isn't it. The always are still hearing we still have trained a lot of the companies about them went bused and seeing me dot com and.
Speaker 1: That happens with most new technologies. And again that goes back to why investors are being somewhat skeptical at the moment about that. But these circlear deals, they can create misaligned incentives around things like are you making the decision for the in the best interests of the company. Are you making it in the best interest of the company that invested in you and is one of your biggest customers, etcetera. And does that mean you're not the voting resources to something else when perhaps you should be. It also raises the question of whether there might be misaligned values. So, yeah, the deal has been done out let's just say seven billion valuation, but if that is with somebody else might have been a four billion. Yeah, you're also creating customers for you who are beholding by those contracts. And then that like essentially creates regulatory risk as well. But regulators may come alongo, actually we don't like that, and we're not sure whether that's the best deal for the consumer. And so, you know, all these risks are immerging up perhaps we didn't have before. But the biggest one, probably of all, is that these circular deals can create a false impression of demand. And you may think that all these companies are generating massive revenues, but if it's all just moving around and slashing around, then if something falls out of bed, then there could be wider implications and that could become systemic.
Speaker 2: The other thing I thought was interested in this week is that athough cost we's fallen out of bed the nasdyke to cup a bump, but not a big one. It so far seems to be restricted largely to the AI and the tech sector. And actually plenty of other stocks are doing fine. They equal weighted S and P is doing fine as there's in that's the S and P that's not wholly invested in the tech sector. And also the FOOTS one hundred is almost back at a record high, the kind of laggard of the global stock markets. But is this issue of how much does this spread or could it spread beyond the tech sector? So who else is involved in lending to these companies and if something did break down there sort of where are the contagion sort of vectors.
Speaker 1: The demand means that the AI industry has had to go to pretty much every corner of the credit market and hand out the ball and kind of say, give us a few quid what we need going for. And so you're seeing everything from direct lending, which is a private credit usually for infrastructure, so like just to build a data center, and you're seeing investment grade. You're also seeing these neo clouds like core Weave who I mentioned to, are sub investment grade. Sometimes not all of them, but some of them are sub investment grades. So that's the high year market. The junk bonds that people might know they're in the structured credit markets that are you know, these are basically taking bond payments that are gue and slicing them up by risk and selling them off to people.
Speaker 2: It's didn't something like that hal in the mortgage market, was it twenty years ago?
Speaker 1: We haven't got the kind of the CDO level or CDO squared level. But like where I would be concerned around that. Lending in particular is around what in real estate is called speculative lending, which means something else too many people. But in real estate it's basically building the stuff before you have a tenant, and if you can get finance, and that from a bank or from a private credit lender, that says something about bubble territory because they are taking a complete risk that you are building this thing over the course of five years and you will find somebody to occupy it. If not, or if the industry moves on and technology moves on, you can end up with a very expensive elephant at the end, which may not have much residual value for people.
Speaker 2: If you build it, they will come only walks in the field of dreams done that.
Speaker 1: I mean, there can be a first moving thing where you can get away with it. But if you're spending five billion credits building a data center, I would want to be more certain of that. But we are beginning to see elements of that, and we're also beginning to see terms being pushed within those deals for lending that maybe are too generous to the hyperscouts. That is the point of view of the credit markets. So you're starting to hear things like after a certain amount of time, if the project is delayed, then the hyperscat to come back out. Now, if you've invested five years and spent as I say, five billion dollars in billiing a data center and it gets a bit delayed because let's just say something got stuck in the straits of her moves at the moment, that's a very big risk. And so again that's part of what's happening with the credit markets and the pullback. They're kind of reconsidering some of the levels of risk that they're accepting at the moment.
Speaker 2: I mean from that point of view, this arguably, as long as it's not already going too far, maybe a good thing, and then maybe it gets a arein end of horns a bit before it does go properly payer shaped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it was always going to happen. And to be fair, like you look at something like the Cosby and it's still up. You know, many of the companies in are still up over one hundred percent here today in some cases with AIA adjacent companies are up three hundred percent for the year, so that you know, and there was an act moment for a pause anyway. And while we are seeing in terms of the Chinese evolution, is that that was always going to happen as well. And China's big advantages. It has cheap electricity, so the tokenization is cheaper. So if you're a company that's also been spending loads of money and AI and your staff, it turns out are using it to convert excel files into PDFs rather than actually, you know, using a much cheaper technology for that, you're going to be scatting around for cheaper prices. And so you know, China and the Chinese LM's become a natural kind of success story from that, and you know that was all to be expected, I think when a certain reason, and it's just all happened very quickly and all at once, as it does these days and markets, and there's a bit of panic in certain areas, particularly when it comes to retail money. You and I have spent years writing about retail money being hot money and how people can panic, and to be fair, if I had leveraged several times, I've been looking at that and kind of gone, oh my god. So it's understandable in a way, but you know, if people are sensible about how the investors still major opportunities there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah. My heart goes out to the various kind of rookie retail investors in South Korea who are now looking at, you know, some really nasty losses. I'm hoping that they were all young enough to bounce back from it. The only thanks very much for this was really helpful. The one other thing I was asking about is on the debt side to flood, the kind of the debt market, if you like, And we have also seen a bit of equity issuings, and I suppose the other thing I'm wondering about, is how much can the market take whenever We've had decades of de equitization, so companies buying back order shares or getting bought off the market, and now we're going to get quite unusually kind of net equity issues quite possibly year. I mean, my design city about what might happen regarding the tightness of my overall as They're just not going to be enough to go around for all the hungry mouths.
Speaker 1: So I think investors would be discerning. I mean, you can tell, you can tell an equity story that people will follow. I mean, just thinking within AI, how many of these companies we had heard of three years ago? Very few of Annie and yeah you know that, and they may not have very much revenue, but people are wenting to bet on a deal. But there's also a thing of like it can go wrong quite quickly, and a SpaceX is probably a good example of that, and unless say, went wrong, but there was so much hype and now it's obviously down since its IPO price, which was ambitious in the first place. I looked recently and the short interests on the stock was at near forty percent, So people are being very bearish on the future for it, and that's probably the big question for investors at the moment, SpaceX being partially the NAI story with data centers in space, et cetera. Is has that and what happened to that stock closed the I P O window for a while, and in that sense, then the focus would shift back to the equity markets. I started to the credit markets and the credit markets, and Sculptor I think it was, put an investor letter out recently and they said they talked about how credit capacity is needed. It's great, it's the extent just as people are pulling back, and that's something you have to be a bit fearful of. I think now often we have taught these things in two weeks later, it's the market is that over sold and it's all right back up and often exceeding the previous size obviously, but at the moment, it's definitely a moment. It's just the length that that moment takes.
Speaker 2: Oay, well, look thanks a lot, Neil. I think that was really helpful.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 2: That the main point it was to try and explain to people what's going on, and I think you've done that excellently. And obviously the market can remain excitable for longer than anyone can remain solvent, especially if you're invested in a leverage VTF, so just be careful out there. Thanks again, Neil, Thank you, thanks for listening this week's Merton Talks Money Markets RAP. If you like a show, rate review and subscribe whever you listen to podcasts, and also be sure to follow me on x or Twitter at Joint Underscore Stepic. This episode was produced by some of Sadi and Moses and am. Questions and comments on the show are always welcome. Our show email is Merrion Money at Bloomberg dot Net. Special thanks to Neil Callen.