Speaker 1: It's time now for another episode of the pat From the Past podcast. Max Smith along with Paul Broo and pleased to be joined by the newly inducted member of the Patriots Hall of Fame, number seventy five in your program. I don't know if seventy five would fit on him now, Paul, mister Vince Wilfork, Vince, you look tremendous.
Speaker 2: Thank you think? I think aside? Forty eight might do? Yeah, forty eight? Now do you set a fifty six? Do you?
Speaker 1: Does it feel normal like to be more like a normal human being as opposed to you know, one of you play.
Speaker 2: You know what the most amazing thing for me now is I can go basically in if they have a two X, I can fit it, you know. And that's I haven't had that since I was in sixth grade, you know. So it's a little different. But at the same time, I feel good, my body feel good, I'm healthy, and I've just been enjoying life. That's great.
Speaker 1: Why don't we Why don't you let Patriot fans know what are you up to now? I don't know that I'm up to the Lake and Greatest. But the last time I think I saw Vince besides the twenty sixteen playoff lost. Here is you must have had a spatuel in your hand. You must have been in front of a barbecue grill. Are you still in the grill business? What are you up to these days?
Speaker 2: You know? I live every day as it comes, and I enjoy I try to enjoy retirement, my kids and family and friends and taking a lot of time playing some golf, you know. And I love the outdoors. I love the fish. And so right now, you know, I'm real estate. I'm in truck and I got a you know, a couple of things solar and you know, I got I'm dimming and dabbing in a bunch of stuff. I'm always cooking, So cooking this part of who I am. So but you know, life is good. It's nothing stressful. Is I work at my own on my own schedule, wake up when I want to wake up. But it seems like I'm still on the football schedule because I'll pop up at six o'clock, like I have something to do at six o'clock, you know, And then I'm like, okay, maybe I can go read and go for a walk. Well maybe I just head to them, you know, the course and play some golf. But you know, but living a simple life and happy life. That's that's what it's all about for me, because you know, for over twenty years, you know, high school and college and NFL, I had a structured life where you know, it was very demanding, you know, and I had schedule. I had to meet that schedule. I had routines, I had to be on a routine. And now I'm to a point where I don't have to do all of that.
Speaker 1: It's your time now, used.
Speaker 2: To be it is my time, and I'm probably working harder now. I move around a lot more now than when I played, but I move around how I want to move around now, and I just keep things fun and exciting because I'm a busybody. I like to be moving around. So but nothing spectackling. I live a born retirement life, and like I said, the majority of the time, I'm on a golf course.
Speaker 3: And we were, you know, just talking about this before we started. This is your first time back, yes, since that you know, you went to Houston the last couple of that two thousand sixteen playoff game. That was the the last time you were you were here at your let's stadium. Yep, that was you're enjoying the memories already.
Speaker 2: Man. You know, my first time back besides that last playoff game. And we got in Monday, and we kind of walked around a little bit and had to go out and get a sweater because I didn't pack. I packed like I was a Southern boy, so I didn't have any sweater or long pan. So I had to go pick up a jackie, me and my fiance and you know, just walking in it's and it's dark, right and about twenty yards away, I hear somebody we love you vents and I look back. I'm like, who the hell knowed me? It's dark outside, I got this sweater on. It's like I love you too, you know, And and that and that basically started my time back in Boston because from that moment until I since I've been up here. Now everywhere I go, you know, it's fans everywhere, congratulating me, hugging me, taking pictures and autograph And what makes me so happy is the excitement and the happiness I see on their faces. That that brings me joy to see a community that I fell in love with while I up here being excited and happy for me. So it's been a thrill everybody I encounter. I mean, I love Boston. I love everybody here. Some of my closest friends are from here, and this is the best fans that you can ever ask for.
Speaker 1: So are you surprised? Were you surprised? Were you nervous? You know, you didn't you didn't necessarily end as a Patriot, even though I know you're officially retired. Was there any hesitancy or were you surprised? Because I don't think we'd be surprised that Evince Wolfork's walking down the street. Of course you're going to belied, you know, that's the kind of player you were.
Speaker 2: But I'm surprised because I don't think they can see my face who I was. That's that's why that's what surprised me. I'm like then back of me, they just crossed the street, so how they like, did they follow me or did they see me? So maybe they saw me under some lights. But I'm not surprised about the love that Boston gives me because I've always given Boston one hundred percent of love back because they this is my family now, like Boston is home for me, you know, even though I went out and played two more years. But people tell you quick, I'm I'm a Hurricane and I'm a Patriot. You know, That's what it is. And even though I've been going all this well, I've always considered myself for Bostony because of the amount of time I spent here and with the connections and the friendships that I've encountered over my life here. And basically I grew here, honestly, you know, I was a twenty three year old kid come here, you know, and I grew from a kid to a man here with a family. So all I know is kind of Boston. So I love it, you know, I love it. That's great.
Speaker 3: They knew you because you're taking pictures all over the place and posted them.
Speaker 2: I had to do that. I had to do that, I mean, because I didn't know how. I didn't know. That's nice. It was nice Landmark. I was at like this arc and then you know, my marketing she started telling me how big of a deal this hotel I'm staying there. I'm like, okay, So she's like, you need to send the post out. I said, okay, I listened. You know, once in my lifetime, I listened, so I listened and it was like boom boom boom boom boom. I'm like, okay, well at least she was right. So but I'm you know, like I said, a lot of people, and I think a lot of reasons that people fell in love with me is they realized how of a normal person I am. I can relate to them because I had. I didn't have anybody sharing. I mean, you know, going shopping for me. You know, I cut my own rass, you know, I had, I bought a plow truck. So I was a man's man. You know. If I had to go grocery shop, I go grocery shop. If me and my family want to go eat, we go eat whatever they have available. We sit down and eat, so a lot of stuff. I think people kind of equate that, you know, I'm just as normous as everyone else, even though I have you know, the background of you know, Collo and playing college and Patriot. You know, go to Celsish game, I see it in the crowd. So you know, even now when I go to games, now, you know I see it in the stands. I don't I don't call for a box, I don't call for nothing special for me, you know, so I try to be as normal as possible, what I think over the over time, people grew to love that about me. You know that it's any day in Boston when I was here, you can walk up to me and catch me anywhere with that normal person.
Speaker 1: Be because this area respects and they embrace the regular human beings. They see the work getting double and triple team and everything like that, they realize you're grabbing your brown bag yep, hardhead on and going out to work.
Speaker 2: And that's how I am man. Even to this day in Houston, I'm saying, way, I don't hide, I don't try to call and say can you block this off up? Like no, I go, I'm going in with everybody else. We we all sitting and have a good time. We laugh, We talked football, we talked life. And I think that's one thing that draws people in with me because I just showed them how normal I can be. Like I know where where I come from. I know, you know what it's like to grind, and I'm a humble person. So I'm blessed to be in a position that I'm in. I'm blessed to have the career I had to walk away from a game with one major injury, like that's unheard of playing the position I played, And so I'm truly blessing. I'm lucky. So I look at That's how I look at life. You know. You treat people the way you want to be treated. You treat what people with respect, you could demand it. So I've played like that. I lived my life like that, and that's why I get along with a lot of people.
Speaker 3: So when you go back to the beginning here two thousand and four, you talked about you're a Kane, You're a Hurricane Solver. You get drafted in the first round. Yes, sir, here, what was draft night like for you? Did you expect to be available with twenty one?
Speaker 2: No? I was pissed, you know, and I remember, you know, my father died of diabetes. So I wanted to do something to give back two diabetes. So I linked up with this this organization down there called DRII Dia Beata Research Interest Too, and we threw this like this little get together at a place called game game Stop, no game shop, game works, I'm sorry, game works in Miami. And it was just me and my family and a couple of friends and it was probably like thirty of us, and we raised like six thousand dollars that day. And I was sitting there and I knew we had six first rounders. I knew we had that. I'll say, well, I know I'm not going to be the last one, you know, because I've met with you know, Houston came down and met with all of us. Houston was picking at ten. Then Atlanta had eight. Atlanta was talking to me every day. So Atlanta was at eight. And then I went and visit Chicago, and I think Chicago had thirteen or fourteen. I went to Buffalo in Minnesota. Right, So I'm like, I know I'm gonna be off the board before you know. I'm not gonna be last hurricane. Right, So Atlanta comes, I'm like, okay, here's our first one. Boom, Atlanta comes. They picked a cornerback. I'm like, okay, ten, Houston got one, Okay, Houston. Houston comes, they pick a cornerback, and I'm like, what the hell now, mind you. At the time, Sean Teala had left and Keller Winzoe had left, so we had Jonathan Villma left, DJ Williams, Vernicrey and myself. So fourteen comes thirteen fourteen, comes Chicago. They picked Tommy Harris first Detackle take it. So I was like, okay, they went dtackle, but they went that route. Okay. So now I'm sitting I'm like, I have no clue where I'm gonna go. You know, Buffalo come up. I forget who Buffalo picked. And then Jets picked Jonathan Villma so he the third goe. Denver picked DJ william He's the fourth one. So here we go with Miami. So I'm like, okay, at least I can stay home. Even though I grew up, I didn't grow up. I hated the Dolphins. I said, okay, at least I can stay home. Dolphins come Vernon Carrey, so I said, you got to being kidding.
Speaker 1: Is it amazing that the eighteen years later.
Speaker 3: All of them can do that with the around just shit there.
Speaker 1: And rattle them off, because because you don't forget, you don't forget.
Speaker 2: So here comes New England, right boom. They picked me. So I said, okay, I'm still pissed. First Round'm pissed. And I remember my defensive coordinator at the time, Randon Shendon, he coming. He came to me. He said, listen, no he called me. He said, Ben, listen, I know you pissed off, in you upset, but you're gonna be the first one to get a ring watch. I said, no, I don't want to hear that. I'm pissed off. And then DJ Williams came, and then are other guys they came. They was happy, you know, and I was still I was in. I was pissed off because I'm so competitive. I'm like, how the hell I'm the sixth Hurricane pick Like that on't make no sense. So I finally let it go, and I throughout my career, I say, well, I'm gonna show you I'm the best one of these Hurricanes that got drafted that year. That was the inside that was burning and driving me. And sure enough my first year Super Bowl, and I remember when I wanted. I called my defensive coordinator, Randon Shan and I said, listen, coach, you told me I was going to be the first one to win one, and you were right. And I kind of let it go. Then. So now I sit back with all those guys and I say, yeah, y'all went before me, But I had the better career and I played with the best team that you can possibly play with. So I'm okay where I got drafted, you know. So it's always an inside joke, but a great story. I'll never forget it. You know that that was one of the things that one of the multiple things that drove me to be the best I could be.
Speaker 3: I had some talent with you on that defensive flight too. Huh No, no shortage your first round picks on that line.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm thinking it was three years we had eighteen or nineteen first rounders University of my mean three year span and with our class being the top one with six in the first round, I think we tied somebody. And at that time, I really didn't know what what that meant. I mean, I'd be like, man, this is what we do. We Hurricane, we go to the NFL. We may have good careers. But you look at it now, it's like, and you know, six in the first round haven't happened. You know the longevity that you know, Hurricanes we typically have and the production. You know, so if you go and look at you know, all the great Hurricanes that played and where they went and how they played in the NFL their careers, they had amazing careers. So now I'm able to sit back and be like, yes, I'm part of that fraternity down at the University of Miami. Not only did we did it in college, we also did it at the highest level, you know, and being a Patriot Hall of Fame, and that just speaks volume of not only my play, but from everywhere that I that I come from, from my upbringing, you know, from my coaches and how school and in college, and a lot of a lot of credit go to Bill Belichick because Bill and Craft believed it in me. Took a guy from a thirty four from a four to three penetrating defense, brung him in the system and had to teach me the system, you know. And I just remember those days just trying to learn it. Everything I was doing was too fast. So it was like everything was opposite of college. You know. I got to stay front side in college NFL, when we stay in backside. I was fast. I had to be fast in college quick. In college I had to slow down. And then pros. So everything I was trained and learned to do as a high school and a college splayer, I had to retrain who I was to be a football player in this type of defense.
Speaker 1: And so Keith was here, you're rookie trail yep, right, and so you're splitting. I mean he's starting at the time, you know. And was that pissed off fence will Fork taking the field in training camp or did you feel like me and I got a lot to learn. I'd better not be as pissed off and try to be a sponge with all these different things that they're thrown at you right out of the chute, and let me work my way, let me learn this, and then let me see how I can contribute after I learned this. What was your mindset?
Speaker 2: Like my mindset was I need to be on the field, and it really wasn't. I was upset I didn't start, you know because in college, only year I started was my last year there. You know, I played behind two defensive tackles in college my first and second year, but my playing time I played more than them. So that really didn't bother me. And I knew Keith Trelor was an older guy coming in and he never really played in his defense, so it was new to him too. And he was an older guy, and you know, you know, just age ketchup. You know, I used to see him rub his knees and all this stuff and put all the stuff on in his locker, and we used to laugh at him. He said, don't worry about a young buck. You don't get my age. One day you're gonna be doing the same thing I'm doing, you know. But me and me and Keith had a great relationship. It was no it was never no jealousy there. We learned off each other because every time I had to do something, even though I was a rookie, he had to do it because we both had to learn how to be a nose tackle. Because think about it, we were trying to replace the great Ted Washington at that position. So and also in my mind was like, okay, New England Pagers just won a Super Bowl and they picked me first rounder. I can't let them down. So all that drove me. And I know how I work, in the work I put in with study and stuff, it wasn't gonna be a problem for me to hit the field and start making plays. I just needed to understand the system I was in, and I think by year three that's when I really got a hold of what it took to be a nose tackle. In his defense, and from year three on it was history.
Speaker 3: Ted Washington is the only guy in that locker room. I've been here for twenty three seasons. He's the only guy that ever scared the ever living crap out of me. I was frightened of him, you know, just as personal aside. I can tell you a long story but for another podcasting. Right, So, but you have you know, you have Keith obviously, who was instrumental in you guys learning.
Speaker 2: But you got Richard.
Speaker 3: Seymour on the one side, Ty Warren on the other just to be part of that, I mean, probably the greatest defensive line team history.
Speaker 2: I would thank you no question.
Speaker 3: Just what was it like to be out there with all those you know, you got Brew and Ravees and it is behind you, I mean.
Speaker 2: Ty Long and then the second like, man, what a defense man? Let me tell you something. Me and Ty we talked about this and we didn't realize when we played, but I would put our front three against any front three in history in the third or four to two gap of defense, I'll put us up against it. It didn't matter. I don't care who you come talk to, Okay, I don't care who you bring up. I would put that three up against anybody. Hey, what we had up front? You had three first rounders, and then don't forget Jarvis Green the second round, and that he was he was our our hybrid. You know, if Richard need to blow a tidy, need to broke, he come in. But he was our third down specialist, so we knew. And then we had third down. We had five, but you had we had Brew and we had Ted or Ted Johnson in the middle, and then we had Willie McGinnis and Mike Rabel and don't forget Roosevelt was over you see. And then you go on the back end, you got Ty locking down one side, you got a Sante Samuel and Pool on one side. Then you got Wilson in the back, and you had Harrison. So yes, our defense was stacked.
Speaker 1: So Vince to that point. Okay, And I think a lot of Patriots fans have been talking about this. It doesn't get the run that maybe it should get nationally. Okay, I take nothing away from it, but offense sells. Everybody loves the quarterback, and there's nobody greater than Tom. But that defense, you're now starting to see maybe a little bit of movement. It took them a while. Ties in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Richard had to be knocking for a few years. Do you finally see some movement nationally that maybe you guys are getting the respected You understand that defense.
Speaker 2: Deserves You have to. You have to because if you look at those players, not only they changed offenses we played against, but we had a lot of teams and defenses try to mimic what we did defensively. So we was a trendset of all this new era stuff that guys, all of a sudden you start seeing running the thirty four defense in sentate five, you know, or sending four like we started all that. They tried to figure out what we were doing. So they took what we were doing and try to implement it in their system. You see, but you just can't. It got to be both. You got to know how to coach and you got to know how to play it. It has to be both. You can't have one in the other. And we had both. We had defensive minding coaches. We had Romeo Cameo and we had Bill Belichick that was back in the days New York. They coached together. And then with the saving in Alabama, So you look at Alabama what they do and in college, So that Tree, that Parcelles Trigg, that Bill Belichick Trigg is everywhere. And what we did defensively, A lot of people don't like it because we wasn't flashy. We wasn't flashed, you see, a lot of people didn't like it because we didn't have the big plays like that. No, we was very very consistent at being consistent.
Speaker 1: Last year in the Hall of Fame ceremony when Richard went in, Bruski was there, and Bruski there was a panel discussion and it was Ty Warren, Willie McGinnis and Richard Seymour and Brusk goes, let me stand behind them, and he stood behind them for a second. He goes, nobody can see me. And he comes up in between me goes, what do you think I think it was like playing linebacker when these guys were here. Yes, you guys did all the work. Rabel, Bruce, Ki, etc. They just show you they cleaned up. Thanks for what you guys did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we you know. And this is two gapping isn't fun. I means you have to be a man to be able to two gap. And if you really want to see what type of players you have, and how tough and if you have some dogs or not make them two gap Because I remember talking with Randy Moss before and I was explaining him about two gap between two gaping then four to three penning trading. I said, listen, Randy, I can put you in the nine technique, in the one gap, and you can get the job done. Who you are right there. You can get the job done and you don't have to touch nobody. You could just run up feel and you just try to find the ball. You can do that, I say, But if I put you in the five where you got to put hands on somebody and control two gaps, that changes. So I say, yeah, a lot of guys get a lot of credit and a lot of recognition of these quarterback sacks and just running the field. I say, but what we did, it takes a real man to do that. And not only once you're talking about for sixty minutes. You're talking about for a season, and you talk about for a career. So time and time and time and time. We don't get no plays off. If it's a pass play, we rushing, we banging their heads, run play, we fighting doubles, triple we button head. If you one gaping, you can run on the air and don't have to touch her soul. You know, if you one gap him, if God misses their block with you, you scott free. You only got that one gap to worry about. But if you're telling me you can't run around this guy, you got to go through him. You got to control this. You got to knock him back. And you got these two gaps day in and day out. That's defense.
Speaker 1: And but what's sexier? And what we know?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What what are the guys look at?
Speaker 3: You know, That's what I was gonna ask. Ever any resentment mean, did you guys ever go to Bill and just say hey, you know, just hey, we got the lead here, you know, turn the sluice a little bit here.
Speaker 2: No, Bill done it good? He you know what. Bill used to give us some bones here. And we got to a point where Bill trusted us enough, you know, and Bill knew what he had. Bill knew he had three first rounds basically for a first rounder with Jarvis. Yes, up, Bill that we can control the game. Once we get to a level in the game, he can let us loose and he can give us a bone. We had some plays where he'll call just for us, just to get us excited. You know. So I wouldn't never say Bill never, you know, didn't unleash us. He had. And it was games where Bill come in there and say, straight up, listen, this game gonna be one up front. If y'all can't win, we lose. He told us straight up, if you guys can't do this, we lose. He wasn't nothing about Tom. He wasn't nothing about no office. It wasn't nothing about scoring points. He told us straight up, if you three can't do this, we won't.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got one that's probably gonna come up on Saturday. And only because I was talking to him and it was a teammate of yours. And Devin told me that you said before the ravens AFC Championship game. It wasn't Bill saying it. He said, you said it, And you said, guys, this one's on us the front seven. We got the run covered. Yeah, it was Cedric Maxwell. Jump on my back, he said, jump on my back. I'm going to take care of you guys. And he said the next day after the win that Bill was in the auditorium going over the tape and he looks and he just circled. He goes, this is a dominating performance. Twenty eleven, a two championship game. Eleven tackles a couple of sacks. I mean, that's that's putting your money where your mouth is. Do you think of that when you look back at your career, evinces as one of your best games.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I like that game because of what it meant for us. You know, we was coming up against a team that we always it's a grind. We knew what was gonna be physical. We knew they wasn't gonna lay down they We knew that they was gonna match whatever we put on the field. But in my mindset, it was like, listen, we better than them. This is our home turf, and we got it. Short playing and simple. It's nothing else to talk about. So I knew going in what it meant, and I knew how much the team looked up to me, and they listen when I speak, So I had to always be careful of what I say when I say things, because I know they're gonna they're gonna take what I said and this is how it's gonna be. But I knew that game. I'm like listen here, they're not gonna beat us because we're gonna win. In up front, we don't want we don't want you guys back there worrying about to run. And we got this. I don't care if it's seven in the box or six in the box, because it was times where we had six men in the bike and we used to call it big. Bill, tell us you guys have to play big. We went short, okay, Coach, not a problem. If that's the game plan, we would do that. And I just knew how important that game was for us as an organization, as a patriot, for our fans, and being in front of our crowd, you know. And I always looked over there too. They had ed Reed, they had you know, Ray Lewis, they had a Loodinada, they had a squad.
Speaker 3: It was a great team.
Speaker 2: You guys had some great wars, great wars. So I'm saying it's us versus y'all. I don't care what you do offensively, Tom, I really don't care. It's US versus Ray and his defense period and what happened, right.
Speaker 3: So when you go, you know, Randy Shannon told you you're gonna be the first to win a ring. You win it as a rookie. Oh, this is easy. And I say this with all the respects, and I don't want to come off as a spoiled Nordle Bostonian. Who Oh, I had to wait ten years before I got another typle?
Speaker 2: How was that? Ten years? Like from to fourteen? You said it? Yeah, because that's the first thing I said. I win it my first year. Because you got to realize when I get down to University of Miami my first year, we win it, right, we win it. So the next year we go back Ohio State, we lost that. We all know what that is. So here I am, my first year in the league as a rookie, I win another one. So to me winning easy. And guess what I've lost? What three game? Four game in college? So it's like I'm used to winning. That's gonna happen all the time. Year one go by, we don't make it, your two go by, we don't make it your three. We go by it. So now I'm scratching my head. I'm like, man, jeez, I thought that's gonna be easy, you know. So you start appreciate what you've done and what you've accomplished and how hard it is to.
Speaker 1: Win because the other guys you're getting paid too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like, okay, it ain't that easy, you know. So I had to humble myself like Okay, this don't come by all the time like that. So that's why what I would say to the Patriots fans is this, for two decades, we ran the NFL. Nobody would never see this again while we're living. I truly believe that we ran it. We need to appreciate what's been done and how it was done over these past two decades.
Speaker 1: Can you now that you're out of events? You know, Bill talks about it all the time. Bill's asked all the time, Oh Bill, what about this? What was your favorite thing? And he goes, It'll be time to think about that when it's over. It's now over for you. Can you look back at that kind of with a clear head and go, holy smokes, look at what we accomplished.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that's as I was planning. I never could. I wouldn't even allow myself to. But when I retired, and I tell people, it's like when I was in you know, my my train it got started rolling early in my life because of just what I've been through and it only sped up. You know, when I got to the NFL, I couldn't stop. You know, I couldn't stop my train. My train was rolling. And when your train roally, you don't have time to sit back and see who's all getting on and getting off the train. Because you're the conductor. You have to you have to drive. You have to make sure that train stay on track right. But soon it's over, that train stops and then you can step off and you can look back and say, I've been to all these places, I done, did all of this. Now you have a satisfactory of seeing dang, I can't believe I did this. But that only happens when it's over. And I'm not talking about when the seasons, so I'm talking about when your career is though, when you have time where you can sit back and understand what you really accomplish. And that's that's where I'm at. Now. You have to put it in perspective, and that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: So, do you have one that maybe stands out, you know, one of those games, one of those titles, one of those moments that stands out for you above.
Speaker 2: The one that stands out to me is the it's what the the second Giants lost? What as eleven? Yep, that one stands out to me the most, and that one right there hurt me the most.
Speaker 1: Because we're show than the first Giants.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, because I thought the third Hooper Bowl, the second one we lost with then on eleven, I thought that team we had was a team full of guts and grind. I mean we were some grinders. I mean we were tough. We was mentally tough. And also I feel that at that moment, that was my defense. You see my handprint, My handprints was on that defense at that time. So when I delivered messages and when I spoke to guys and when we talk and we had meetings, they were locked in. I remember when I was looking at Chong and just how he was looking at me. It was like I saw fire. It was like he could have ran through that brick wall if I were told him and see it. Get me, get me kind of going now, because that's one that got away from us. Because that team, that team was a great football team and also be coming off of Myra, you know, her death, so we had all that bottle. Everybody wanted to win for mister Craft and Myra so and we had it all even like being we had it all like going to that Super Bowl. Bill told listen, we're gonna work where we're gonna also enjoy ourselves in this moment.
Speaker 1: And I remember that you remember that though it was a oh seven, that wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: No, you guys seven.
Speaker 3: You guys were from the moment we got on the plane to go with O seven, we were all up tight right right, And I felt like you guys were visibly up tight yep all week.
Speaker 1: And I remember in the hotel lobby in eleven it was a differ for look you wa wait a minute, Bill went to the Thursday night party.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean this to sound, you know, disrespectful. I think out of the Super Bowl teams that you were part of in that we were around, that was one of the lesser talented ones. But the way you describe it with with the grittiness and the toughness, I would agree with. But I mean, you guys had jewels back in the secondary, like chasing guys around in the AMC Title game like that team just got by on like you know, got him, got to it, just like Kevin Garnett Britain Balls.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, we was a younger group.
Speaker 1: We had a young you know, Nao, Cody, It's like.
Speaker 2: We were young, but they had the right mindset and an attitude. And you can win with that. You you can win with guys you can coach and you can teach and that's willing to learn and willing to listen. You can win with that. And that's why I say that Super Bowl was probably one of the hardest games for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to wrap things up here in a second, so I'm going to finish with this one.
Speaker 2: Vince.
Speaker 1: The reason why we're here is because this weekend you get to be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame. What does that honor mean to you?
Speaker 2: Vince? You know, I I just spoke on being able to stop that train and look back with all you know, everything you've been through, and it says a lot about my teammates, the fans, staff, everybody that's affiliated with this organization. I am humble and honored to get this accolade. And this is for all of us. It's not just for me, it's for every fan that's out there. At at I stepped on that field, and I looked up in those stands that I c I can badly hear each other giving the calls, the music that we play, the excitement that came from the fans day in and day out, every Sunday, Monday, Thursday. They were there. They never left us. You know, That's what this is for. And that makes me feel good because I'm going into the Patriots Hall of Fame not only by myself, but with all of my fans and everybody else that I ran and encountered with through the course of my career. So this is a moment that I'm always going to cherish, and.
Speaker 1: This will for all of us well said, well deserved. And I hope you have a hell of a time this week, and I hope you can. I hope you can smell the roses.
Speaker 2: And enjoy it. Oh will you will enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, n Congratulations, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on the Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts