Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. I guess the night.
Speaker 2: Is an Emmy nominator writer, actor, comedian who is in the new Netflix documentary Outstanding a Comedy Revolution.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Joe Kim Booster.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 2: First Da Mandatory Asians on TV and moment. Yes, all right, okay, yeah, thanks for coming on show man, Thanks for having me. Man, dude, I had known you, you know, because you were in New York before I got here, and we were both comics run around New York. But we were never like I feel like, we never really we were orbiting, but we never like smashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and technically still haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I knew York before me comedy. Remember you always super cool on me. I first moved to America and you had me on your show in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I thought we were cool too. And then I came to this show and realized you hired a different gay Asian person to be a correspondent.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck is Troy a Lota? Okay? Someone young.
Speaker 2: That believe it or not, I have no say on the hiring.
Speaker 4: Interesting, I'm learning, I'm learning, I'm learning. No, it was I remember meeting you in San Francisco too. When you did my show you, I was so intimidated because you have this like rotted personality, and you ended up being the nicest person on this and you were always so welcoming and like the stuff I was talking about in that clip, you gave me like actual good advice, which you were like, be funny.
Speaker 5: So yeah, on the setting for you said it.
Speaker 4: You said you said it pre the set, and then you were If you said it after the set, it would have been insulting.
Speaker 2: But what was the context of that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We were just shooting the ship and right, well, well, I mean this documentary, well that's the thing. You know, comics. We love talking about comedy. We talked about all day and in this documentary Outstanding on Netflix's kind of like a who's who of American not even only American gay comic.
Speaker 4: Global queer comics. And I will say I am like such a small part of that tapestry that the documentary is so cool because it really shows you, like people whose name who should be household names, who were actually trailblazing and breaking down barriers and stuff like that. So I could go out on stage and talk about Dixon and stuff like that without losing my career.
Speaker 1: You know. In fact, I've made a pretty lucrative Yeah. Yeah, so it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's meeting meaning your heroes. I guess when you all, yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: We part of the documentary is we did a huge show at the Hollywood Bowl. There were like thirty comics of like truly every generation there and it's great because I think, like, especially when I was coming up, there would always be like maybe one queer comic on the lineup and that was it. That would be like, that's that's too much as it all, and so we rarely got to like hang out on the same show, and so it was really nice. It was like a nice little like homecoming to just all be together on the same show backstage on stage.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was cool. It was cool.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's kind of how I feel. And if I see you on the lineup, and if I'm on the show as well, I'm always like, oh yeah it's Joel. You know, it's always like we don't need to explain. There's a shorthand and you know, and just for a record, I mean that you know, the comics were in that documentary while on that show. So the documentary is about this big show they did at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, And some of those comics are my heroes too, you know. I'm Wanda Sykes was always super cool to me. Lily Tomlin, I have her vinyl that bought. I've been trying to get her to sign.
Speaker 1: It for good luck. I think you'll get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one day, maybe I'll be lucky to meet her in person. And that was also the Hannah Gasby was in that Australia zone and I think that was who. I mean, we could go on all that Margaret show, who like talk about Trail Lazer like she is the reason I do what I do now today, like bar Nune, Like she was the I said in the clip, like I wanted to talk about the stuff that people wanted to keep behind the curtain, and she was doing that at a time when it was actually risky to do that, you know. And so yeah, she she really is the person who opened the door for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like like comics we always like like to tip of the cap to the I don't know, we just always like heritage, you know, like our comedy heroes, like we almost I don't know about you, but I almost feel more beholden to them than than the audience in some ways, like I just want to you.
Speaker 4: Know, right, No, it's so funny, like I could be crushing in a room, but like I'm paying attention to the people standing at the back of the room, who I'm like, oh my god, Ronnie seeing this joke five thousand times like.
Speaker 1: Always hates it, you.
Speaker 4: Know, But no, I honestly, Runnie, and this is not just me sucking you're national TV, but you you are that person for me, like you are you are for.
Speaker 1: A lot of them are No, I mean it sincerely.
Speaker 2: You made me sound like a piece of ship when you said I gave you advice.
Speaker 1: That doesn't SOSSND Like, guys, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going on to people showing going like hey, here's my advice from.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Sun. It wasn't so much advice.
Speaker 4: I think I was probably complaining and being like, oh, I'm I'm I'm always getting told like what to say and what not to say. And I think for you, your reaction to that as a as a comic was just like it doesn't matter, like the subject matter. It doesn't matter, you know, if you're gay, straight, by whatever it is. At the end of the day, if you're funny, you're funny. That's why, like, I still do stand up because it's the it's the closest thing to a meritocracy in our industry because like with all the politics and everything of people saying like, oh I only got here because I'm a diversity high or whatever.
Speaker 1: When I'm not on stage, that's my whole career. Yeah, that's my whole career.
Speaker 4: But when we're out on stage and people are either laughing or they're not laughing, you can't.
Speaker 1: Take the funk. Yeah, you don't laugh because of woke guys. Okay, that's not how it works.
Speaker 4: Like It's just like, no matter how progressive you want to seem, if the joke isn't funny, then you're not laughing. And that's why like stand up feels so good because I like, nobody can tell me shit because these people are laughing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yes, And so for yeah, I agree, totally agree, and for all its flaws, stand up is the meritocracy. And you know, I think sometimes it's hot to explain comedy to people. I mean, I quote you in a recent Esquot audicle. Oh no, sorry, Hollywood reported audicle. I read all your press repressed. You said, like, the mission can't come first. It has to be comedy first. Yeah, right, and sometimes it's hot to explain that to people. And so that's why what did you find it difficult in this documentary to talk about comedy versus you know, just doing it?
Speaker 4: Well, No, because like when you're in a doc and you're sitting behind the camera and you're being interviewed like that, it's not comedy. But like I think the biggest pep beeve and the thing is is like people of all political stripes, across the political spectrum do this when a stand up show turns into a ted talk I'm out, you know, like I do, Like where are the jokes? You know, Like you can't just come out and say an opinion and expect applause and sometimes you get it, but it's it's applause is not laughter, you know, So you can't be mission for you always have to be thinking at the end of the day, is it funny?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, No, I no, I agree completely, and you know, and that's I think that's also how I feel so much kinship with you, not just the not just the Asians on whatever, but like as comedians, you know, because sometimes it's we're both out there and we're both trying to make it happen in weird bas and like in New York City, and oftentimes, you know, I never really play this cod a lot, but oftentimes on the lineup, and there's no other Asians on that lineup, you know, and it doesn't you just gotta because I.
Speaker 4: Think there's this weird assumption that because we take some of the same demographic checkboxes that all of material will be the same. But it's like you and I will never.
Speaker 2: Ye two more different as Asian.
Speaker 1: As men, as like any of it.
Speaker 4: We just we're not We're not.
Speaker 1: In the top bottom.
Speaker 2: And it's just different, just totally different. But anyway, Joe, hey, you're you're my brother in many ways and one you've been thank you for being so cool. You plus him to America. You're killing it right now. I love everything you do, everything you do. Always watch it and you're the best. Uh. Joe King booths out standing.
Speaker 1: A commonly revolution, or at least on Netflix.
Speaker 2: June eighteenth, Joe King Boost everybody.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to.
Speaker 1: The Damny Show.
Speaker 2: My guest tonight is an actor and comedian. We said our special is called good Grief. Please welcome Marlon Wayans.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: The people love.
Speaker 1: You, they do. You know, I'm a little jealous of you right now. I want to rob you up that seat right with me. You are in this scene, I know, and I know how it feels. And I miss me being over there and asking some idiots some questions over here. This is not There's so much power in yourself.
Speaker 2: The power of the namy here is completely Yeah, there's a big celebrity over here, and I'm just the humble daily show host who has been watching your family since I was a kid in Malaysia. In Malaysia.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was in Malaysia. Yeah, somebody wants some money. That's what we is.
Speaker 2: Only local. Yeah, you know, I always uh have to considutly really hot to say Wayan's because in Malay Whyan older brother, no, it means neple bit No, it means uh means no, No, it means performance, it means performance. I go Wayne's, Wayne's is not not because it's just a language. That's why you need to have, you know, friends, of every culture because you never know what your name means.
Speaker 1: No, it's true.
Speaker 5: I went to Bali and I found out that and Wayne, it was all over the place Wayne, and I was just like, I don't know how my name came about, but Wayne means older brother and Indonesia. So and then my grandma I think she got high and our last name was Wayne w A.
Speaker 4: And Ean.
Speaker 1: I think she smoked some weed and was like, I like, Waye, it's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but speaking staking out family. But this new special I watched. It's super funny, very touching, very very emotional. Know some would say, I don't know if you I don't spoil anything, but the opening to it already kind of gets you in because I don't know how much I can. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: You can talk. It's on Amazon, Bro, so to watch it right now. It's great.
Speaker 2: No, it's on today, okay, and it's called Good.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're gonna bootleg it. It's on.
Speaker 2: It's it's about it's called Good Grief, and it's about grief and in it you you it's I should clarify, it's super funny, but you talk about you dealing with the death of a lot of people, and uh what What really kind of drew me in right from the first second was the opening sequence. You kind of play these voicemails.
Speaker 5: Ye parents and me walking down the street and I'm walking through all the places that I grew up around New York and where they grew up in Harlem, and you know, all because I it was I want the audience to kind of know, get an introduction and an investment into the people, into the voices of my mom and my dad and what kind of what I experience with them. So it's not just like I wonder how they were. You get a little slice of.
Speaker 2: It, right and did you were you worried that'd be too much of a bummer.
Speaker 5: No, then I knew I had to follow myself. Then then you know, you got to be really funny so that I like the added pressure, you know what I mean, it'd be sad if I couldn't overcome it.
Speaker 1: Comedy wasn't hot enough.
Speaker 2: You got to stock the deck against yourself.
Speaker 1: With the should have stopped at the beginning.
Speaker 2: No, it's very touching because I'm not sure if it's clear, but you know your parents passed away. Now you play the voicemail and I think people who have had parents pass away, they as soon as you play it, you know it's already oh man, like it really just but that's really get you in the mood for laughing.
Speaker 1: And common.
Speaker 2: Dead parents void last words to your son, and they're all touching. I'm like, I'm already there, like, oh my god, this is the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: I was just like, but it's true. That's when you know it's funny.
Speaker 5: When you could take something that's not supposed to be something funny, something that is painful, something that look at our news, look with the daily shows every day, you take something that is tragic with politics, and you go clean it's funny about it.
Speaker 2: That's very ye, that's a very noble pursuit. And yeah, because I'm I'm a I'm an aspiring comic myself, and I just wonder, I just wonder, like when you do comedy specials, you know, you've you've been in this industry for so long now, you know you've seen so many. You know, you've got decades, if not centuries on me in life, and and you know, and you're just so old you don't look at but you've seen so many. You know, you've seen streaming services, you've seen cable TV, you've seen.
Speaker 6: Specials, seen cell phones, you've.
Speaker 1: Seen when they had to do the shadow. I'm so tad of you young bitches. All you got his years on me.
Speaker 2: But like you've see some specials, and I guess, like my question is, like, when you feel a young comic was coming to you asking you about comedy specials, is that something you would tell them what not to do with a comedy special? You know how long A.
Speaker 1: Don't rush b.
Speaker 5: Wait until you have like enough time under your belt that you understand your point of view.
Speaker 1: It's only special.
Speaker 5: I think when you start digging into pain and it's okay to drop one or two, but then three, four, five, and six and you as you go down the road, I think it's more important. Not because comedians want to talk about the world. They want to talk about sports, they want to talk.
Speaker 1: About pop culture, they want to talk about politics.
Speaker 5: I think the best comedians talk about themselves and talk about their pain, and they go, what's funny about this? And they're vulnerable, and I think that's more healing and funnier and lasts long longer than anything that is in pop culture and yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's that's that's why it once it's almost like you you get to a place of comedy that you get so good at comedy you can talk about pain now instead of just trying to.
Speaker 5: Because it's more therapy, right, It's deeper than just a bunch of jokes.
Speaker 1: It's easy to tell jokes for.
Speaker 5: Like sixty minutes, but it's hard to have a sixty minute therapy session that hasn't alixa for the audience to come away and go, wow, that really helped my life.
Speaker 1: It's one thing to change their mood. That's what we do in comedy.
Speaker 5: But if you give them a little nugget that helps change their life and you know, help them stay out of two hundred fifty dollars therapy sessions like I.
Speaker 1: Did, then then you did something all right.
Speaker 2: And I mean in your special you kind of joke about celebrities, and we you know, I also joke about celebrities. But I think the difference between you and me is that you're a famous enough to actually know these people. So when you kind of basically I don't want to butcher the joke, but when you when you talk about Shack and you're shitting on shack. You got to go to this guy's birthday party afterwards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I may skip that, but here I only talk about people that either I know I could be like Kevin Hart, Oh that's a next.
Speaker 1: Special gow.
Speaker 6: Him, or people that I know can't catch me checked because his knees is bad.
Speaker 1: He can barely catch Charles Barkley. He don't want none of this. Okay, I'm staying out of this clip.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: And and you know, like I was saying earlier that I've been watching your family kind of on TV in Malaysia for so long now, he's only such an entertainment family. And one of my good friends, Rodwood Junior, he speaks very highly of you, and he always said, yeah, and your family is so sprawling and there's a lot of people in entertainment. And Roy would tell me, like, you don't understand how the Wayiam's role. They don't. They don't go Nepple baby, they go. You gotta prove it yourself.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean.
Speaker 5: The amount of work that Keenan and put me and sew and Damon put me and Sean through was crazy because you.
Speaker 1: Can't just show up be like I'm a wayns.
Speaker 5: No, you show up and you're gonna be away in people gonna have these high expectations of you. So now we had to go through this rigorous training before we did Don't Be a Minute, our Forest movie.
Speaker 1: My brother Keingdan made us write twenty.
Speaker 5: Six drafts of the movie before we even started filming, and we didn't understand why. And then we did the movie and the director messed the movie up, so they gave us money to film for seven days a whole new movie. So my brother looks at us and go, Okay, what movie you're gonna right now?
Speaker 1: We was like, what, we have no more to do? And he was like, he made us go through it.
Speaker 5: And because we went through those twenty six drafts, we were prepared to write that whole next draft that became Don't Be a Minute. So everything is training because you don't want to fail. And when you get these opportunities, because if you fail, it's gonna take so long to get back here, so we may sure before we send you out there that you're preparing.
Speaker 2: So how do I join this family? Because it sounds this sounds like Korean boy band training dudes, where you got people in wherever trained to be wig ins that like all loaded up already, like you should be do a Mathima class something to be a way.
Speaker 1: I like the Korean boy band.
Speaker 2: The Korean boy bands, they trained super hard. Well okay, well I'm.
Speaker 1: You want to do comic. You just just joined the Korean boy man ship right now. That's that's it, dude.
Speaker 2: Those guys are literally like they trained like the military.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Korean boy bands they trained like you can't. You know. They got to keep the body shape. They got to every day they're practicing.
Speaker 1: And then maybe maybe there are wings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, I'm very happy to be the first Asian person you ever spoken to.
Speaker 1: So it's uh uh it's a real for me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for giving me your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really appreciate it. But your legend man, thank you. I'm a tour. I'm dropping.
Speaker 5: I'm going on tour in September. New tour, Newman sets called Skittles. Uh tickets June fourteenth on my website, Uh Molin Wayne's official and uh good Grief on Amazon right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, everybody, everybody explore more shows from the Daily Show Podcast Universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast