Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at Breaking Points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 1: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Good morning, and welcome to Counterpoints. We do have a quick announcement. Ryan and I have two long days coming up here actually because the debate special, the Breaking Points Debate Special, where we're bringing together everyone in the Breaking Points a cinematic universe, right, that's happening tomorrow night. We can put this graphic up on the screen eight pm Eastern. There's also a fun graphic where Ryan is trying to figure out why he's so angry.
Speaker 1: We can put that one up on the screen too. And Emily looks like she wasn't ready for the picture. Yeah, and she's like looking down at her phone and they're like, oh, oh, we're doing this now.
Speaker 3: You know that happened to me one time in the outfield playing playing soft.
Speaker 1: And the ball like landed on your head.
Speaker 3: Well I had to go like put my glove up and my phone fell out. My coach wasn't happy about that. At eight pm. But tonight we will also be moderating a debate for zero Hedge on the Border. That's going to be at seven pm.
Speaker 1: Is that live or that post later?
Speaker 3: I think it's live. Okay, all right, so seven pm tonight, but put.
Speaker 1: Some details about that somewhere.
Speaker 3: Whole Breaking Points universe Tomorrow eight pm for the presidential debate, which is totally a first in history. We're going to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Robbie's going to be in that debate, right, getting the Rising crew back together. Yeah, Open borders, Robbie, yeah yeah, and me and me and Robbie up.
Speaker 3: We'll have nachos on the table.
Speaker 1: Excellent forward to that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we now that we have the programming notes out of the way, we are going to start by talking about the debate today. We're then going to go over the election results, super super buzzy stuff. Obviously, Ryan quite literally wrote the book on the Squad, and the Squad is front and center as we have results coming in from primary elections all over the country last night. We're going to talk about a terrible split screen playing out in Kenya, where four hundred Kenyans arrived in Port of Prince yesterday in Haiti. And also there's at least twenty two deaths so far in protests over a.
Speaker 1: New tax bill. Yeah, back in Nairobi, all hell is breaking loose, while ye Kenya is sending on behalf of the United States an international invasion force into Haiti. So we'll break some of that down. I'm going to talk about the disclosures from the Portland, Oregon race that we covered about a month ago, where a pack as we reported at the time, was spending millions of dollars secretly to influence that race. They were finally a month after the election, forced to disclose their actual funding and despite their denials, you're going to be shocked it actually was. Apak going to unpack how all of that unfolded. And then at the end of the show, we're going to be talking to a Theodore Postal, who's one of the kind of nuclear war experts in the world and in world history, since we only have since the forties, Yeah, to think about nuclear war. He's gone back and forth from the Pentagon to mit A is one of the most respected voices on this He is warning that the Ukrainian strikes inside Russia are putting nuclear war at a much higher risk than it was before Ukraine started striking Russia's early warning nuclear detection system. It's pretty frightening and kind of should be leading the news all around the world. Yeah, you'd think, kind of like a first order thing that I think we all want is to not die in a nuclear annihilation, and yet here we are. We'll put it at the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Though only one's talking about it at the end of the show. Well, let's start with the big news, which is that historic debait is still as of right now set for tomorrow. I continue to be a synic about whether it will actually happen. It seems pretty likely that it will actually happen at this point. But Hillary Clinton is weighing in. Let's put a one up on the screen. Hillary Clinton wrote in otbed for the New York Times, where as the Fox News headline put it, she complained, it's quote impossible to defeat Trump and a quote waste of time to refute his arguments. Ran the thing I pulled out of this op ed from Hillary Clinton is a quote where she says, Unfortunately, mister Biden starts from a disadvantage because there's no way he can spend as much time preparing as I did eight years ago. Being president isn't just a day job. It's an everything, everywhere, all at once job. Historically that has led to weaker first debate performances for the incumbent. So I feel like this op ed, which she dropped a day before dropping her big book announcement, was kind of a nice one to pr punch for Hillary Clinton. Savvy as ever, but I think she's trying to lay the groundwork for a mediocre Biden performance by pushing publishing a opbed in the pages of the New York Times saying it's an impossible job.
Speaker 1: That's always what I say after I lose a debate, and it's that it's just an impossible task. It's a waste of time, yes, But on the other hand, it is kind of an impossible task to debate Donald Trump. Can you imagine? Then Hillary has actually done it, and she had Philippe Brains as the guy trying to pretend to be Trump, and but nobody can actually be Trump. He is one of a kind in basically world history. So you get out there and you have no idea what on earth is going to come out of that guy's mouth. You just don't know, and you don't even know if it's going to work because nobody's ever said it before, nobody's ever tried it before. So it's not something you can even and train for. And it's not as if either Biden or Trump are going to be getting into like the nitty gritty of tariff policy or know, one of these like nineteen eighties or nineties debates that gets like super wonky, like that's just like nobody expects anybody to go remotely near that. If these candidates can string together a sentence from beginning to end, that that is like grammatical yes. And if they can even put together a paragraph that can be transcribed and you read it and you're like, yeah, that's like eighth grade level and it makes a clear point, that would be a win for either of them. But I don't expect either of those things to happen. What we are expecting, though, are some stunts. And Hillary Clinton remembers that right after the Access Hollywood moment, Donald Trump responded using what was the Steve Bannon's idea of bringing three or four women who had accused her husband of sexual assault to the.
Speaker 3: Debate at them like in the front row.
Speaker 1: And had a press conference with them before an absolutely extraordinary moment. And so now people are speculating based on some leaks and hints from the Trump campaign. We can put this next element up here of who Trump is going to bring this time, like what kind of event he's going to try to create, And one thing they're suggesting is that he might bring family members of people killed by immigrants here in the United States. Do you have any insight from the Trump camp as to what kind of kind of a show they're planning on putting on.
Speaker 3: Well, there was an interesting report. This is actually just the next element from Byron Yorke over at the Washington Examiner. This is a three. We can put it up on the screen and I'm going to read from it. Trump told the Examiner what they did, I'm pretty sure is that they approached me with a debate that I couldn't take Dana Bash, Jake Tapper, and then Byron put in brackets. Trump referred to the CNN anchor commentator as fake Tapper throughout no audience, sitting down, originally sitting down a dead debate, turn off the mics when you're not speaking so I can't interrupt him. They knew I wouldn't accept that because it was CNN, Dana Bash, Jake Tapper, and I like an audience, and probably he doesn't, who knows, so they thought they would present it. I would say no, and they would say we can't debate because Trump said no, So I said yes before they even gave me the terms. So he got roped into it. Interestingly, that's Trump explaining how he even got Biden to agree to a debate. And one of the things, in terms of the stunt question, this is the reason I described this debate as historic. Obviously, debates happen all the time, but some people may be aware this is the first debate and modern history that's happening without the Presidential Debate Commission. Is that what it's called debate committee?
Speaker 1: Debate on Well, it's the first one since the commission was created in like the seventies, right, right, And it's the earliest ever.
Speaker 3: Earliest ever first since the Debate Commission was created in the nineteen seventies, meaning that sounds maybe like a small thing, but what it means is that it's totally uncharted territory for CNN, it's totally uncharted territory for the campaigns, and so much negotiating actually goes into this. I mean, it's just you saw what Crystal and Sager reported yesterday about breaking points not being able to pick up on the stream of the debate. I mean, it's the stupidest little piece of negotiating, leverage whatever that.
Speaker 1: I would think that a debate would be public for everybody to stream or whatever.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you would absolutely think that it would be. But this is uncharted territory. And so I think that Trump is going to be reacting just in the next twenty four to forty eight hours, and we don't really know, and I think he doesn't really know, which is why he is also doing something similar. Hillary Clinton doesn't run it out out in the New York Times without the Biden campaign knowing what's going to come. And that's why I think Trump talking to Byron New York and being like, why did I agree to fake Tapper? Well, you know, it was the only way to get Biden to debate. I think he's also trying to lay the groundwork for mediocre performance, because frankly, they both performed, like I'm trying to use mediocre as an adverb mediocrely back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: And there's a funny moment in that interview, kind of after that exchange where the interviewer says, Okay, yeah, but you couldn't actually say no to a debate, could you? And he says, and this is what people love about Trump, He's like, yeah, you're right, No, I couldn't. There's just no way I could do that. Well, and then he and everybody knows that, every politician knows that, but he's unique in that he'll just say it, yeah, I couldn't have said no.
Speaker 3: Right, And he also said something really interesting recently reflecting on He's like, some people told me that maybe the reason I won was because of the debates. And that's why. I mean, again, they're doing this in late June, but that's why the debates are important. Because I think Trump is correct that one of the biggest reasons he won the primary and then won the election of twenty sixteen is because people did not expect him to handle Hillary Clinton the way that he did, and obviously the other GOP candidates, and Clinton didn't perform well druxtaposed with Donald Trump, not as well as people expected her to. I agree with her and with you that it's an impossible job because he's what was he called yesterday by RFK Junior, the best debater of his generation or in a generation, or in American history.
Speaker 1: It's just that he's in a different league. And I don't mean that necessarily as a compliment, right, He's just different.
Speaker 3: It's like he's so special.
Speaker 1: The way like if you grew up like being some Oxford debater like Hillary Clinton, and now all of a sudden, the guys just saying wrong and like sayings to lock you up.
Speaker 3: It's like you bring women that your husband is accused of actually Sultan putting in the front round.
Speaker 1: How do you respond to that? And with with Biden, Let's not forget one of what Donald Trump did to Biden in twenty twenty. He showed up to the debate knowing he had COVID remember this, and yeah, and then he skipped the COVID test Like he's calling for a drug test this time, saying because he's accusing Biden of being on performance enhancing drugs, as if Trump hasn't been you know, jacked up on you know, meth and pseuda fed his entire life. Uh, suda fed, Like.
Speaker 3: Like we think he's a pseudo fedatict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's on sometimes some type of uppers the Okay, you're distracting me from my very good point that I was making. But Ronnie Jackson, a congressman, jumped into the fray and said that, you know, Biden ought to have be drug tests ahead of this spate. Ronnie Jackson was Trump's corrupt doctor who was pumping him full of all sorts of who knows what the entire why the White House doctor, Yeah, and prescribing it like off label to all the White House staff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Ronnie Jackson is going to come in and talk about performance enhancing drugs? Are you kidding me? This is a good button whatever, A wonderful point I was planning to make.
Speaker 3: So, but this is actually relevant because I think to Ronnie Jackson come out and saying that Trumps saying that, This is why I still think it's possible the debate gets called off in the next twenty four to forty eight hours because again.
Speaker 1: They can't fill their prescriptions.
Speaker 3: They can't fill their prescriptions. Also, because the incentive for both of them to back out and make a big deal of it shifts, as you know, if he can make a political point about Biden not agreed to do a drug test. As stupid as that sounds, Biden could never agree to do a drug test. Everybody knows Biden.
Speaker 1: But the whole thing that's absurd, Like, of.
Speaker 3: Course it is. But but from the political.
Speaker 1: He's serious though, I don't think he's serious, because then Trump would have to take a drug test.
Speaker 3: I think it. I mean, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Trump after seven pm is like, come on.
Speaker 3: But Trump also just said that he called, basically called CNN's bluff. I think he would be willing to call Biden's bluff if the incentive shifts so as much that you know, Biden refusing to take a drug test. So they're not debating because Biden won't take a drug test. If Donald Trump wants to roll with.
Speaker 1: That, Trump's going to pain a cup before this debate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, but I think he knows that. And again I'm not saying that's what's going to happen. I'm saying there are a million different variables up in the air right now, because all they agreed to do this with was a network and each other. A network and each other. It is not the same.
Speaker 1: And we're only sure moderators have to take a performance enhancing drug test.
Speaker 3: I'm all for it for it, maybe we should, but the thing is, if you're not on drugs, then you're just qualified. So anyway, I continue to think that this is a very tenuous situation because of the way the debate is set up. I think it's going to be a mess if it happens for CNN because of that exact reason. They're doing commercial breaks. So someone's campaign comes into commercial breaks and says, you're cutting the mics too much. They're going to be cutting the mics. Trump is going to be yelling. It's just a mess.
Speaker 1: So I would recommend actually for Biden microdosing shrooms because I don't think that would show up in a test. Now, you got to be careful, like you know, you have a little too heavy on that.
Speaker 3: Jennet Yellen.
Speaker 1: It's going to be an interesting debate, yeah, but yeah, it's worth of shot.
Speaker 3: Maybe Janet Yellen can actually give them some shrooms. She can administer the doses clinically.
Speaker 1: Does Janet Yellen have a background in South Cybin.
Speaker 3: Remember in China?
Speaker 1: She Oh, that's right, that's right, that's right. She accidentally dosed herself. Forgot about that. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Again, people think Joe Biden like there's there's not not unseious. People saying that Biden did this to agreed to do this earlier, that Democrats agreed to have Biden debating early so that they could have a contingency plan in place for the convention in August. I don't know if there's truth to that, but a lot on the line of Mark.
Speaker 1: What I've heard from the Biden camp is that they they do recognize that they're losing to Trump and and felt like they needed some way to shake the race up, and that this so therefore they needed an early debate. At the same time, they're very unconfident about how he's going to perform in the debate, and the thinking is, Okay, well, this is worth a shot, and if it works, great, but if it doesn't, it's far enough away from the general election that people will have forgotten this debate performance. Those two things, if you've figured it out, are contradictory like you can't, on the one hand, hope that a good debate performance is going to catapult you to the White House, but believe that a bad debate performance isn't actually going to hurt you, because those are ideas or in contradiction. Either the debate matters or it doesn't. But you know, contradictions have never stopped anybody from moving forward with what they wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Anyway, although they can also both be so weak that it just neutralizes each other's weaknesses, which I think actually is what happened in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other thinking among Democrats is that people don't like Donald Trump in general, and so the more you can get Donald Trump in front of the American public, the worse off it might be for him and liberals by kicking him off of Twitter, Facebook, basically, you know, deplatforming him, getting him out of people's faces have actually done the thing that Trump's advisors were trying to do for years, just getting him to calm down and stop putting his foot in his mouth and saying outrageous things that infuriated people. Nobody could accomplish that except for the social media platforms driven by kind of democratic.
Speaker 3: Outrage, and yeah, nobody's on true social and so with now.
Speaker 1: They got to bring him back and put him people's face and be like, remember this guy, like you liked the economy under him, but you didn't like him. Remember that and hope that that's enough.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to some of the most interesting news playing out right now, especially in York sixteenth district, where Jamal Bowman lost his race pretty handily, double digit loss for a squad member Jamal Bowman and Ryan I think maybe we just run through some of these results quickly and then we want to get I especially curious to hear what you have to say about what happened to Jamal Bowman and APAC and all of that up in New York sixteenth sixteenth. But also Lauren Bobert did win that districting ken Bucks. It was ken bucks old seat. The Trump back candidate in Utah to replace Romney lost handily. It's like a twenty point love Romney twenty Yeah, but Trump, I mean, this is this is not There was a conversation last week we were talking about Bob good getting booted from his seat. He's the chairman of the Freedom Caucus. We interviewed him a couple of months ago, and people were saying, well was the Trump factor? Trump waded in for his opponent, and that's what ded a men really mixed bag with Trump endorsements in recent result history, and last night was absolutely no exception to that. So those are I think a few of the big ones. We might touch on a couple of other ones going forward here, but let's start with Bowman. Ryan a big, big loss.
Speaker 1: So George Latimer finishes, they're still counting a little bit, but he's creeping in on fifty nine percent, fifty eight to fifty nine percent, which is about what the polls were showing. Like people expected this was going to be a landslide. Daniel Maren's over, my old colleague over at the Hoffington Post has a really good kind of rundown of this race that gets into the retail political I don't know if you want to call the mistakes that Bowman made over the last couple of years, because mistakes implies that he didn't do it on purpose, like what Bowman in twenty twenty one took a trip sponsored by j Street to visit Israel, and Jay Street had endorsed him in twenty twenty against Elliott Engel obviously a pro Israel group, a pro Israel, but it's liberal Zionist. It's kind of They fight with APAK a lot, and in twenty twenty two in particular, they were kind of a leading element of the coalition that was fighting back against APAC while APAK was spending millions of dollars trying to take out like squad like members. In twenty twenty, Bowman came in DMFI, which was the kind of proto APAC. Super Pac spent about two million dollars against Bowman trying to buck up Elliott Engle, who was the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee and one of the leading Israel Hawks in Congress. And so for Angle to go down was a huge deal. And despite that two million dollars in spending, Bowman beat him. Israel Palis and wasn't a huge part of the race at the time. It was what drove the funding, but it wasn't what drove the kind of public conversation about the race. Remember, this was the height of the George Floyd protests and Elliot Angle had this absolutely monumental gaff where he went to a George Floyd rally and he was caught on an open mic trying to speak and the guy running the rally is like, look, so many elected officials here were not letting everybody speak. Well, you know it's hot out here. We'll be here all day. And he said, I wouldn't ask if I didn't have a primary. I wouldn't even be here if I didn't have a primary. Led it, and it was on the hot mic, it was on New York One. It's like wow, and it fed into a that's a tone deaf thing to stay at the height of the George Floyd protests. And also he was caught living in Maryland at the time, Like a reporter went to his door in Maryland and found him there. And you've been claiming you've been at these events in New York, but you haven't been in New York at all. He's like, I've been in both places. And there's no evidence he'd been in both places at all. He'd just been in Maryland. So the two things came together created a big scandal and Bowman crushed him, even in heavily Jewish precincts. Twenty twenty one, Jay Street takes him to Israel and Apak takes lawmakers to Israel on these guided tours every two years. Run Steney Hoyer organizes these trips their bipartisan and they come back fortified in their support for Israel. Jamal Bowman came back from that trip to Israel a changed person, and he's talked about this, like seeing the occupation up close in the West Bank, seeing that Muslims could not or Palestinians could not go down certain roads, seeing the fencing. There's this one famous street that has kind of netting over top of the street, and I think it's in Hebron because so many of the Jewish Israeli settlers there throw trash onto the street from their settlements, so they eventually had to put up a net. The highways where you can't drive if you don't have the right license plate. You have to have certain permits to get different areas. He was shocked to his core, and so that's why I say I wouldn't describe the political decisions he made after that a mistakes, because he decided that this was wrong and this was something he was going to stand up for now. He did in the time since then, he did not build inroads into the Jewish community. He did not come to the synagogues. And this is what they say, that he didn't come to the synagogues and have this dialogue with them. He didn't talk to them about his experience that he'd had there. It was it was more of just a public kind of political campaign that he was running, and that's what he felt was appropriate. But what it did is it drove this wedge even among say the liberals in his district, who might say, you know what, I agree with you, I'm against the occupation and again this and that they felt like they had just kind of lost touch with him, and he didn't care about that community. And so it's interesting that Apak spent nearly twenty million dollars in this race because his initial race is what basically brought a pack into the Super Pac game. Like DMFI spending two million dollars and losing to Jamal Bowman convinced a pack, Okay, DMFI is not cut out for this on its own. Yeah, they're raising five ten million dollars a year. We can do much better than that. That's why they came in in twenty twenty two and spent thirty forty fifty million dollars. And why they came in and just spent nearly twenty million just in this race.
Speaker 3: What was wasn't it fourteen? The total somewhere like fourteen point for Bowman this race.
Speaker 1: I saw seventeen, but I don't think we've seen a final number either.
Speaker 3: I mean, either way, it is the most expensive race, and all because of a pack. It's the most expensive what house race in the history of house races?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, and that's including the David Trone, like the total Wine guy who spent like twelve of his own million dollars to finish in third place in one race and then spent more than like roughly that to finally win, and god knows what he's spent to lose his Senate race this year. That's a I forgot. That's a different question. Yeah, most expensive race in history. But it's also this New York like buying airtime in New York is insanely expensive, and to blanket the airwaves, especially when you have to buy New York air, but it's like suburban New York that you're actually aiming for is going to cost you an enormous amount of money.
Speaker 3: So interestingly, there was a report in Axios this morning after Bowman as the dust was kind of clearing. That quoted a House Democrat saying it felt kind of gross the amount of money that had been spent on the Bowman race, and that like a pack. It was this sort of rebut not rebuttal. It was this rebuke almost off the record. Of course all of these people were talking off the record, but of how APAC had handled this race, saying this was too much. It was it's not even this from people who are sounded like very supportive of APAC, saying this is starting to actually undermine your cause and give people reason to say you're out here putting gross amounts of money to buy races, and it's not feeling like so democratic anymore. It's feeling a little bit like big money.
Speaker 1: And if you look at APAX donors, they're mostly Republicans, which bothers Democrats more than the fact that it's APACK.
Speaker 3: Although not the voters in New York sixteen.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not as if. It's not as if the ads say funded by Republican donors who have given money to APACK. It says this ad was supported by United Democracy Project like I'm for United Democracies. Also was great well.
Speaker 3: I also thought Latimer's messaging was interesting with the way Bowman ran his campaign, where Latimer Latimer was saying, I won't want to end the chaos in Washington, DC, and then just in the last few days. I'm sure actually in April poll matched the results that we got last night pretty closely. But you have the chaos if you're a voter. Was just trying to feed your family, take your kids of soccerbractics or whatever. Looking at Jamal Bowman like jumping around saying fa pack whatever else he said, and then a guy and also the whole fire thing, the nine to eleven conspiracy theories, which don't always play so well in New York. And he had walked back, you know, sort of on a parallel track with Mersher, Taylor Green, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and a lot of anti Bowman people, to your point about APAC's gross amount of spending, are frustrated that APEX spends so much money because now they can't make the argument that Bowman was unpopular yep, and that his constituents rejected his brand of politics, you know, fair and square, right, but you just can't say that you can you can believe it, And I've heard people make a reasonable case that Latimer, absent interventions from either side, might have beaten Jamal Bowman because of the district that he's running in the politics around it. But nobody can say that with any confidence because that's not what happened. A pack came in and dropped at least you know, we'll see the final total in the end, but you know, more money than has ever been dropped by any single organization in a in a congressional race before, and that obviously tilts the scale, and so now it it makes it so that nobody has to actually talk about the issues at play, and instead both sides you can say, look at look at look at the sheer amount of money. And from the Democratic side, and we're going to talk about this later in our in our a PAC block, it is this isn't the A pack block right right? It is wild that Democrats are allowing in democratic primaries Republican billionaires to funnel so much money into their primaries. It's kind of an incredible situation and I just don't think Republicans would ever allow that.
Speaker 3: I also think progressives and you know, Corey Bush is while worth talking about in this context, looks like she might lose her.
Speaker 1: Primary tough one Elan O. Mar's got a tough race.
Speaker 3: A nail bider in Minnesota with Ohan Omar. I think progressives have struggled to connect these really front and center, high profile discussions about Israel and Palestine to the material concerns of some of their voters who for whatever reason, and we can all disagree with the reasons, but just don't care as much about the issue.
Speaker 1: This is the only district where they where they even talked somewhat about Israel Palestine. When APAK runs its ads, even in this district, they were they were not about Israel Palestine, like when they were going after Bowman. They're going after Bowman for not being a loyal enough Democrat with holding his vote on the infrastructure bill like that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they dugged that Opo and.
Speaker 1: Like Firepole on the fire alarm.
Speaker 3: Which he should not have done, and then he shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have lied about it like he's a principal, and so that I think that hurt him because like principles know how fire alarms.
Speaker 3: Were, like he thought it was the door, is what he said.
Speaker 1: And so even a PAK like doesn't run on Israel Palestine. Right, they pull what they think is going to be damaging to their opponent and then they run on that.
Speaker 3: But they I mean, the candid it's what they're I mean, it's the reality they're facing, is that it's going to get I mean, it's going to get dragged into the center of the race, even if APAC knows that it's not front and center concerns of voters and media conversation about Corey Bush.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's what it's the media conversation, but like on the ground, so it will be Wesley Bell versus Corey Bush. It's the ads are not going to be about Israel palestime for the most part. You know, Corey Bush will be talking about how she stood up for renters and fought against the ending the foreclosure more time, and I guess deliver for Saint Louis that she's brought back money like Summer League did in Pittsburgh, whereas Wesley Bell will say it's too much drama.
Speaker 3: You know, well that's what I was going to say a guy like me, And I think it just plays into the broader narrative of chaos and like an extremism. And I do think that progressive Democrats need to find a better way to talk about the issue that neutralizes that just the reality that it's going to be used as.
Speaker 1: I mean, Summerly basically showed how to do that, and Corey Bush is kind of modeling her campaign after summer Lease. Summer Ly. If you look at her, she's basically a squad member of you. But if you look at her advertising and her messaging in Pittsburgh, it's indistinguishable from a normal Democrat. And that's to the point that if you have a big turnout in a Democratic primary election, there are a lot of normy Democrats who that's just what they want.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Lauren Bobert.
Speaker 1: Why not normies?
Speaker 3: Yes, Lauren Bobert won her primary and the Beetlejuice district. Kidding you remember the Beetlejuice story.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the play.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that I had to remind you of that because the image is indoubtable. But we have the results from Lauren Bobert's race. This turned out to be a pretty healthy district, pretty healthy primary win for her forty three points, though she didn't get over half because the so the vote was split between all of these other candidates This is ken Buckelle District. As we mentioned right up at the top. What's very interesting about this situation is that the establishment guy, Jeff Hurd, he won the Republican primary in Lauren Bobert's current district, so the third congressional district. She switched districts feeling like she was going to lose, and she probably would have lost. Actually we don't know, but she probably would have lost from that third district outside Denver to this district, which is I believe, Yeah, it's the fourth congressional district, and the establishment guy, not a big maga guy, is the one who ended up winning her actual district that she'll be vacating obviously moving over to this new district.
Speaker 1: Now, now, in Texas, you have to get over fifty percent in a primary or you go to a runoff. So if the Republicans in Colorado were running on the Texas primary model, you now have a runoff between Bobert and what was her name, Jenny, the second place candidate there. How do you think that goes? Do you think that there's enough anti Bobert sentiment in that district that she actually ends up losing and that she only won because the anti Bobert vote was split, or do you think that a decent number of those candidates had as a second choice Bobert so that she'd win in a primary anyway, Because the point here is that Bowman last year had two opponents. To last election had two opponents, and he got like fifty four percent of the vote. He won comfortably because they split the anti Bowman vote, But for people watching closely, it was a warning sign, like, oh, you were just four percentage points over a majority. You could have lost that race if there was a single opponent against you. She's only forty three.
Speaker 3: She reminds me. Her problems remind me of Bowman's in some respect, just thinking about the fire alarm situation and the OPO that was dragged out on his previous sort of poetry blog that dabbled in nine to eleven truth theorism, and also kind of reminds me of Marjorie Tayler Green. I made a joke about that earlier, the sort of media double standard aside. I think it's really interesting that people who are like now in Congress were pulled in those directions, because I think it's tempting for all of us and I don't think it's isolated to them, And I think the populism in particular, when you're seeking out explanations for the just rapid changes de industrialization, material concerns that have accelerated, you know, it's not crazy to get pulled down in crazy directions. You just have to sort of be vigilant against those things. But I think Lauren Bobert with Jamal Bowman in that sort of fire alarm versus beetlejuice situation, they just look ridiculous. And I know Lauren Bobert ran on she used to own a bar right that was like a Second Amendment the bar basically like a gun themed bar. I think it was called Shooters something like that.
Speaker 1: If you like, it had more health code violations.
Speaker 3: Than like did it really so SI had a good restaurant. But yeah, I mean I think there's she just lost a lot of you know, even as like this populous, and to.
Speaker 1: Survive, she jumped districts. I wonder what would have happened if Bowman jumped districts and ran against Richie Torres and numbers.
Speaker 3: That's super interesting.
Speaker 1: Maybe two years from now that's what he'll do.
Speaker 3: I think. I think Boba probably would have lost, but it's hard to say, just given how much money that you can raise when you are super maga. Right now, I don't know how Trump would have dealt with anything like that. That reminds me to read this Dave Wiggle tweet. He said this might be the worst primary night for Trump endorsed GP candidates all year. Burns loses narrowly in South Carolina, Dave Williams getting crushed in Colorado. Five all before the Utah Senate race comes in and Pol's had voted Trump back Trent Stags down big, And indeed Trent Stags did go down to John Curtis, who ended up winning the primary for that Romney seat. We can put that up on the screen. That's be five. He was definitely not the Trump pick in the Utah race and ended up winning by double digits fifty endors thirty. I believe Romney did endorse John Curtise. Yeah, he's like people see him as like a Romney two point zero kind of if.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, And I've seen political scientists say that, if not for the counterfactual of Joseph Smith wandering out to Utah and creating Mormonism, out there that Utah would actually be a blue state because of the if in other words, if Utah residents voted the same way as you know, urban suburban and ex urban voters and role voters vote in every other state in the country, there are enough urban and suburban voters just concentrated around Salt Lake City that it would be a democratic state. But because of Mormonism and the conservative strain in it, it's a red state. But that would also explain why it is anti Trump and trends toward this kind of Curtis Romney style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the governor Spencer Cox is also sort of in that mold. There's a very particular type of Republican that comes from Utah. And it's not behind me right now, I just looked. But the book that's behind me sometimes is called Alienated America by Tim Carney. In Utah plays a big role in that book because it has a really high level of sort of civic society, civil society, meaning that community bonds are really tight. They have robust like rotary clubs and all of that stuff. And it's one of the few red states that was not few, it's one of the handful of red states that was sort of ardently anti Trump in the Republican primary twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, And that is an interesting point along the lines of what you were making. If you go to you know, rural Wisconsin super like old DEM districts, super pro Trump, but in states or in places where the social fabric was stronger, southeastern Wisconsin, they're pretty anti Trump and anti populism. So I think there's something to that about Utah in particular. But it's also hard to extricate the Mormonism from the Utahism.
Speaker 1: Too utterly impossible. And if they just solve the drinking water problem, you'd all be doing great anything else.
Speaker 3: Oh John avalon CNN guy, But more importantly, I think he helped co found no Labels. He won his primary in New York.
Speaker 1: As well, Staten Island or something was it?
Speaker 3: Is it the George Santos seat. It's somewhere up that. No, it's well, maybe it's New York's first district. But John Avil, Yeah, all right, Haiti, we can go ahead and start running some of this footage. This is c one. This is troops arriving in Porta Prince Kenyan troops arriving in Porta Prince yesterday. This block is called Haiti. On the screen, it could also be called Kenya though Ryan because this was unfolding, called America right, or yeah, this was unfolding as just we could literally put it on a split screen with what was happening in Nairobi yesterday, which was just a demonstration that as of right now, according to the Human Rights Commission of Kenya, left twenty to twenty two people dead. A section of their parliament, as the BBC reported, went up in flames as demonstrations against a new tax proposal escalated. I'll keep reading from this BBC report. They said protests against an unpopular finance bill, which included several tax rises, have been going for days, but they escalated on Tuesday as MP's passed an amended bill. Protesters broke into Parliament, vandalizing the interior and setting parts of the complex on fire. The ceremonial may symbol the authority of the legislature was stolen. Police open fire with live ammunition, killing at least five people, according to the Kenyan Medical Association. This is a quote from twenty four year old named Derek, who told the BBC there are some things that are hard to understand, like how can you impose a sixteen percent tax on bread? How can you tax sanitary pads? That was a reference to proposals that were in the original bill that fueled some of these protests. We should, of course note that this is the troops that landed Import of Prince yesterday, the Kenyan troops that landed Import of Prince yesterday. It's absolutely part of a US back scheme to basically, I mean, we don't know how it's going to end. We can probably guess how it's going to end, but to engineer the preferred outcome of the United States in Haiti. And it comes as a pretty important time in Africa for the United States. They just gave them what the first Sub Saharan African country, Biden did. He designated them a major non NATO ally ally right around the same time that these negotiations over Haiti are happening.
Speaker 1: We put that up. I think that's C five. Sorry to jump around on you, but you can put up C five there.
Speaker 3: It all goes together. And that's one of.
Speaker 1: The important things here. Yes, and so William Rutau. One of the things that one of the things that the US dangles in front of foreign leaders in exchange for things that they want is a trip to Washington, and William rutto accepted that trip to Washington. He was here very recently. One of the things that they announced was that you know they're gonna name Kenya is this major non NATO ally all. You know, they were now some debt forgiveness and some other some other schemes that are supposed to make Kenyon leaders happy. Coincidentally, William Rutteau is one of the first people, if not the first people ever charged by the International Criminal Court were for war crimes for a slaughter that he was allegedly heavily involved in. They eventually dropped those charges and now he's now he's president of Kenya. The Kenya has also been doing all sorts of pro very weird, pro us stuff, weird in the sense that it doesn't fit with kind of what the politics of the region might indicate. They're the only country there that joined our kind of anti Huti coalition. And you'll often see if you look at that giant UN billboard, when let's say there's an Israel Palestine vote, in the entire world is voting one way and there's like countries you've never heard of that are like Pacific Islands and the US are voting the other way. Kenya will be there with them too. Yeah, like what that's going on here with Kenya? You can also if you want to go down a rabbit hole, go check out Kenya's election in which Ruto won in a very very scandal plagued election by like zero point one percent or something, with all sorts of anomalies and all sorts of allegations that that it was rigged and that the that the US is preferred candidate Rutto came out on top despite not having actual actual majority support. And then fast forward, US wants international troops to go into Haiti. The US feels like, okay, we can't. We've sent in the Marines too many times into Haiti.
Speaker 3: And who we've sent the UN too many times in the Haiti right, and what's and what's it?
Speaker 1: Almost it feels racist. It's like, well, we need some African troops to like do this invasion for us. You know who can help us out? Oh, we've been doing a lot of favors for Kenya. Can you will do this? It's very unpopular in Kenya. This, this this invasion is extremely unpopular. They had to pay the Kenyan troops. I think it's reported they're getting paid an extra fifteen hundred dollars a month on top of their salaries, which is which is only further fueling resentment in Haiti because Haitian police officers aren't even getting paid right, Like they haven't been paid in months at best, and they're like, wait a minute, but you're paying them fifteen you know, the average you know, Haitian police officer makes it a tiny fraction of that. And you know, there are reports that the base that the US built for these canyons isn't really ready yet. And then the question is what on earth are they going to do? Like what what do we think a couple thousand foreign police officers are going to do in a situation that is completely out of control? Like what?
Speaker 4: Like what? Like it?
Speaker 1: It literally makes no sense, like what what? What is the goal here? Like in other words, so they set up this presidential council in a hotel room in Jamaica. That presidential council took a bunch of resumes.
Speaker 3: Which is we've seen the same thing play up before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say they took a bunch of resumes. They took sixty resumes from people applying to be a black minister. Yeah, they narrowed it down to five. They did a bunch of interviews, uh, and then they picked a guy from UNICEF to be the prime Minister of Haiti. That's not a political solution that has the buy in of the of the Haitian people.
Speaker 3: Right, you have the buy in of the United States and maybe US some.
Speaker 1: Elements some elements of uh, you know, the Haitian elite, which were you know, jockeying and lobbying and pressuring to try to get their preferred prime minister outcome. But prime minister of what like of a handful of Kenyan troops or police officers, not troops.
Speaker 3: So, and this is also in the context of I mean some people describe it as a second scramble for Africa, Russia and some sort of radical Islamic efforts to capture different countries. The United States is trying to keep some of that at Bay, is trying to maintain its power up with China as well, and so that's where you see Kenya becoming especially important to the United States. Kenny is in a lot of debt. They have to pay, like us, a lot of interest on their debt. That's where like.
Speaker 1: US, it can't just have the Federal Reserve handle that right now.
Speaker 3: And so that's where the sort of financial squeeze push people into the streets. Let's actually roll C two because Barack Obama's half sister was on CNN was being tear gassed on CNN reportedly. Let's roll this footage C two.
Speaker 4: Come speak to.
Speaker 1: Live on CNN.
Speaker 4: Why are you here today?
Speaker 5: I'm here because look at what's happening.
Speaker 3: Young Kenyans demonstrating for their rights.
Speaker 5: They're demonstating with flags and banners. I can't even see anymore.
Speaker 3: So that sign, if you were watching it said colonialism never ended. One of the fellow protesters with Alma Obama had to sign that side colonialism never ended. That was here gas. You could hear shots in the background, so we can put the next element up on the screen here. That's because yeah, they were fired their protesters were being fired on in the streets. Obviously, we mentioned earlier that part of the Parliament went up on went up in flames yesterday as well. This is from the Associated Press quote. The Finance bill was meant to raise or introduce taxes or fees on a range of daily items and services, including internet data, fuel, bank transfers, in diapers. Some measures were stripped as Anchor grew, and it's all part of the Kenyan government's efforts to raise an extra two point seven billion dollars in domestic revenue. Obviously, then sending well paid troops to Haiti not going to be popular either, I'm assuming, and actually I think the US did pay for that operation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, the US is paying for it in lots of different ways, right, yes. And meanwhile some people watching them and say, well, what do you want to do in Haiti? Well, a not that like, that's not that's not like just because you don't have any other ideas, it's not an argument for sending an international like invasionary force into try to occupy Haiti. Like, there are Haitian political elements that are trying to work toward some type of solution and if the kind of United Nations want to support that, they can do that with support for uh, you know, Haitian farmers, Haitian Haitian merchants, Haitian Haitian businesses, Haitian organizations that are trying to come together and you can help import the things that they that they need to get off the ground. But just coming in with more guns and putting Kenyan troops in a base is only it's kind of suppressing whatever kind of whatever political reckoning and political dialogue needs to happen to eventually get somewhere. You've tried, We've been trying, they've been Yeah, we have been trying to impose some type of situation on Haiti for two hundred years.
Speaker 3: Well, with similar methods too, very similar methods.
Speaker 1: You know, we just dress them up differently, and troops from different countries different times, but the same thing. Yeah, all right. You might remember that back in early May, we reported here and at the Intercept that APAK, the lobby group that describes itself as pro Israel, was secretly intervening in a congressional primary in Portland, Oregon, in order to block the sister of Promila Giapaul names Sushila Giapaul, from winning an open primary. Now I reported that a PAK was routing its money through a super pack that claims to have a pro science mission called three fourteen Action, and that it also appeared APAC was funneling money through a different pack called Voters for Responsive Government. APAC's allies furiously denied the reporting, arguing it played into antisemitic tropes. Yet about a week later, Jiapaul's opponent, Maxine Dexter, was forced to disclose some of her last minute surgeon funding, and it turned out it was coming from donors who regularly gave to APAC. One of the donors who had maxed out to Dexter even told me she wasn't aware of the contribution, but that she green lights whatever APAC asks her to do. She told me, quote, I give all my contributions through APAC. Still, they refused to disclose their super pac spending down the stretch, and three fourteen Action even brazenly lied about the source of the money. And when I say that they lied, I mean they straight up, baldfaced lied. The super PACs were relying on a campaign rule that treats them differently than candidates. Candidates have to disclose every forty eight hours down the stretch of the campaign, so nobody can sneak in new money, but super PACs only have to disclose their previous month's funding on the twentieth day of the next month. The election was scheduled for May twenty first, and on May twentieth, super PACs would have had to declare all of their fundraising from April. On May twentieth. Now, Voters for Responsive Government filed a report that claimed it had not raised or spent a single penny in April, yet they had ads out to the market by May second. In other words, their claiming they raised money, hired contractors, produced ads, set up bank accounts, and placed the media by all in twenty four hours, with none of that work happening in April. Of course, that's basically impossible. But the reason they needed to make that claim on their paperwork was so that they could then delay disclosure of everything all the way until June twentieth, a month after the election. Three fourteen Action also pushed a ton of their action into their May paperwork, So on May twentieth, that's the day before the election, they only disclosed three donors. One of them was an APAC guy who gave them three hundred and fifty thousand dollars, another was Michael Bloomberg, and another was unrelated to the race. Now, I've been covering politics for about twenty years or so, and I have seen my share of dishonesty, but what came next reminded me I still know how to be shocked. Eric Poliak, the managing director of three fourteen Action, took to Twitter on May twentieth, after they released their donors to taunt me, saying, quote waiting on Ryan Grimm to issue a retraction. What's so stunning about this denial is that when Eric made it on May twentieth, he knew that on May first, three fourteen Action had cashed a million dollar check from United Democracy Project APAX Superpack. And he knew that a month later, on June twentieth, that fact would become public. Yet he decided to knowingly lie to the public. Anyway. Here it is in three fourteen Actions June twentieth filing. So that's a lot of zero's on the small screen there, but I can count them for you. There's six of them. That's a million dollars. In other words, Pollyok knew his organization was spending a million dollars of APAX money on top of lots more from APAC directed donors, Yet he said exactly the opposite the day before the election. Now, on May second, a few days before my article initially confirmed apax's role in the race. Giapaul and her opponent, Eddie Morales held a rare joint press conference raising questions about the source of the new money in the race. Poliak took to Twitter to mock them. He wrote, after Soushila Giapaul and Eddie Morales veep style press conference where they offered zero evidence to back the ridiculous claims, It's clear they're down in the polls and desperate to smear our grassroots movement fueled by millions of contributions. So consider the audacity there. He claimed to be leading a grassroots movement fueled by millions of contributions. The day after they deposited that million dollar check, when Voters for Responsive Government disclosed its donors, we learned that APAC had cut them a one point three million dollar check, and eight other APAC linked donors had kicked in two point six million dollars more. According to the paperwork they filed, they managed to raise all that money in a single day. Emily, I don't know if you've ever done any fundraising, but calling that many people in a single day, just getting them on the phone is going to be hard. All the zeros there, God, that's a lot just typing in those. This is going to take you more than twenty.
Speaker 3: Four hours, so much work for the FEC.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what they are banking on is that the FEC will look at this and be like, all right, whatever, right, who cares that we don't have enough commissioners.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 1: I'm a staff. We don't basically enforce laws around here. But even if they had disclosed on May twentieth, that's still was too late because there's mail in voting. Eighty percent of the people had already voted at that point. That was just to kind of twist the knife, to just keep it so that you didn't even have twenty four hours to know who was funding that race.
Speaker 3: Isn't it just just lost? Just to be clear, right, Yeah, she lost? And isn't it just a fine if you're non compliant with FEC.
Speaker 1: Doesn't Yeah, And they might not even get a fine if the FEC doesn't bother with it.
Speaker 3: And even let's say the FEC does bother with it'd be fine. It's sort of like when you know a exonmobile gets a fine. It's just the cost of doing business when you have enough fun.
Speaker 1: They spent four million dollars in a couple of weeks. Yeah, they can afford a little fine.
Speaker 3: This is totally unrelated. But Leifang, your old Colleageluefan Feng had a great story he ran in The Guardian this week about basically these pro Israel groups that had been lobbying on behalf of Israeli government appro says nobody had registered for Pharah And again, like it's the same thing that the cost of compliance sometimes or the cost of non compliance is just worth the non compliance. It's just worth what whatever.
Speaker 1: You get out, it's going to be prosecuted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when there's a timeline, there's like an actual election that you can squeeze this past. I mean, it's just this should especially given the APAC spending patterns, this should get people pause for the next couple of years about what's happening in some of these races around the country. And obviously you're eagle eyed and keeping you know, your own reporting focused on this, but uh, you know, it's it's got to get into local papers. Local reporters have to pay attention to this stuff. For the purpose of ads. People should be paying attention to this stuff that's really dirty.
Speaker 1: And I talked to some local reporters who were trying to report it out right at the time, but and they and they wrote a couple okay stories where they would say, like this looks softully fishy, but they didn't have the sourcing to be able to just confirm that. They didn't have a source that I had that said like, oh yeah, this is actually this is definitely a pack, right, And so it makes it very tough for and especially you know, journalists that don't want to get accused of like trafficking and anti Semitic tropes, because you can't just go around just recklessly like suggesting without evidence that APAC is funding a particular superpack. If you have the evidence, you can say it. And they couldn't quite prove it because APAC had done a good enough job of keeping its keeping its fingerprints off of the money until afterwards. Like and it's very smart in a way because it like makes you sound crazy when you're saying it in real time, like you sound like a conspiracy theorist or a lunatic, but then afterwards like, oh yeah, that was us, And after the polls closed, APAC was like this shows that being pro Israel is good politics. Mm hmm. It's like, well, if that's true, why didn't you why do you endorse her publicly? Why did you deny that this was happening? Like why did you? Why would you have to stress so much, why you have to spend so much, and why do you have to go to such extreme lengths to conceal the role of a pro Israel organization in this race?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 1: Like that that doesn't like, you can't you can't have it both ways. You can't say that your involvement is shows that being you know, pro a pack is is good politics at the same time that you're hiding the fact that a Pack was even involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean great reporting, crazy stuff, dirty stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. And what Democrats have realized is that the vulnerability for other Democrats here is not that it's a PAC money. It's not that it's pro Israel money. There was polling done in the district where most voters in Portland had actualely no idea who Apack even was right, because we think everybody knows who Apack is, because this is something we've covered closely. Everybody knows that. Okay, I do you always have to remind yourself that we are weirdos like unusual that we follow politics this closely. Most voters like what's apack? Never heard of APEC absolutely. What Democratic voters don't like, however, is Republican rich people spending money in Democratic primaries. And if you go through, if you scroll back and look at that list of the eight people that gave, for instance, I think you'll find all of those are like Republican donors, like and not just like we give to both, but like mostly Republican donors, a lot of Trump donors, and that drives Democratic primary voters crazy. Summerlee was able to use that to her advantage in the Pittsburgh race. Others have been able to use that to their advantage. But by hiding the donors until after the election, you strip Democrats of the ability to say this is actually Republican money, because you don't. You could say it's Apack money if you can, if you can report that you have some evidence, but without knowing who the specific donors are, you can't necessarily say it's Republican money. Even though most APAC money is Republican money.
Speaker 3: Right, is just dirty, It's dirty, dirty stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, and look, if APAC wants to spend seventeen million dollars in Jamal Bowman's race, you know, right, have at it, right and at least in that race, they did it, you know, with their chest. That's so true.
Speaker 3: And they got backlash or they're starting to get backlash based on those leaks to well leaks, those off the record comments to Access this morning. I don't know how much of that you've heard from even relatively pro Israel Democrats who just are getting very uncomfortable with APAX tactics. This story should be another part of that.
Speaker 1: What, yes, it should be. And but we'll see. Because from from the Democratic leadership's perspective, I think as long as APAK you know, sticks with its mission of being pro Israel and does not carry the agenda of their donors, their further agenda of the donors, which which is, you know, a Republican agenda, because there's a republican's as long as they stick with pros your agenda and as long as they only go after progressives in primaries, then I think Democratic leadership sees that as a win win. Yeah, probably, like that's fine. Actually, probably you're gonna you're gonna discipline our left flank. Ye works for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah sounds great.
Speaker 1: But you know, any time that you make a deal with people who are not your allies, and these Republican donors are quite literally your adversary political adversaries, you're taking a huge gamble. And so the question is is the is this kind of enemy of my enemy is my friend situation really that clever or are you going to wind up you know, getting eaten by it?
Speaker 3: Else becomes a crutch, you know, when that money drives up, If the money drives up in ten years or whatever, you are just left up without a huge funding.
Speaker 1: It also suppresses what you're kind of organic aalition believes about a major political issue. Yeah, absolutely, and distances you further from your voters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. It happened with a lot of the libertarian spending, coke spending for Republicans over the years, sort of lost touch with the support for social safety net among them.
Speaker 1: That very interesting, and then look what they got Trump?
Speaker 3: Yep, So who will be democrats?
Speaker 1: Trump? There you go. I think we might find out. We'll stick around long enough.
Speaker 3: We'll find out if we don't end up in a nuclear war.
Speaker 1: That's right, We're going to find out if we're going to next with a doctor Theodore Postal, one of the leading nuclear armament experts in the world stick around for that. Joining us now is Professor emeritus from MIT. Theodore Postal ted thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: It's my great pleasures. Thank you.
Speaker 1: And so to set up this conversation, can you give us a kind of quick run through of of your career how you how you wound up both at the Pentagon and also you know, doing your doing your academic work.
Speaker 4: Well through a series of accidents. I was actually doing basic science, and I was increasingly concerned and interested in the arms race. This was in the eighties when arms race was just completely out of control, and uh, I wound up through a series of accidents and and and a very close friend of mine named Washington going to the Office of Technology Assessment, where I worked on a study of the MX missile, which was the big game in town at the time, that international game. And I came to the attention of the US Navy because of some of the work I was doing with them as as an outside analyst, and I was offered a position as a science and policy advisor to the Chief of naval operations, and of course that was a great opportunity, so I took it and I wound up, you know, very quickly in the belly of the beast. Worked a few years with the chief, saw quite a lot, which I must say educated me to a level that maybe I should dave at this point, because you see a combination of the most capable and the most incapable and opportunistic people. You see the spread you know, very very good and very very bad people. And it gave me, I think, an extremely refined understanding of how these bureaucracies work. And of course I took the opportunity to I spent many nights in a cage reading classified documents to learn as much as I could about the weapon systems that you know that I'm supposed to be advising on them. And that gave me a baseline that I've been able to build on for decades.
Speaker 1: So it's just of accidents, Yeah, and I think baseline is definitely being humble there. I think one of the foremost experts on the on the issue we're talking about here, we start with kind of E E two. Here is the Washing Post article headline kind of concerning headline US concerned about Ukraine strikes on Russian nuclear radar stations. So walk us, walk us through why the US is concerned about this, and why we ought to be concerned about this as well, what what is what is Ukraine doing here?
Speaker 4: Well, the US should be concerned about this, and unfortunately, I think the US has to take responsibility for this because of these radar stations are critical to the early warning systems of Russia, and Russia, unlike US, does not have satellites in space that are capable of seeing the whole Earth from space. We have this kind of capability, So if they lose a radar, they have no way of knowing what's coming at them from that direction, whereas if we lose a radar, we just simply go to our satellites and look down and say, oh, yeah, we can see nothing is happening there. Now, given the high state of tension between Russia and the United States at this time, I think it's extraordinarily dangerous to tamper with anything that has anything to do with Russia's early morning capabilities because they are going to be more alert at this time because of concerns about nuclear weapon US from the United States now Americans tend to have the attitude or we would never strike them first. It's a common reaction. But I can assure you that they don't believe this about us. And in fact, if you look at American nuclear weapons systems and the kinds of things we are doing even now, it creates the appearance. I want to be understanding. It creates an appearance because I don't think people realize, you know, what the meaning of what they're doing is. But too a well informed technical analyst. On the Russian side, it looks like the United States is preparing to fight and win a nuclear war with Russia. Now, of course, fighting and winning a nuclear war is ridiculous. The only way you win a nuclear war is by a definition. The definition is ridiculous. It's like, at the end of this exchange, where both of our countries and civilization is destroyed, we have margin of larger a slightly larger number of nuclear weapons left in our arsenal in the adversary. Well, that's totally ridiculous. That's like saying, well, we'll have more fingernails on our body when our head is blown off. So fighting and winning a nuclear war is just absolutely this is not a matter of opinion, absolutely analytically ridiculous. But these kinds of doctrines have developed in the United States and in Russia too, because there was a long time where people did not fully understand how catastrophic large scale use of nuclear weapons would be. From my point of view, this is so obvious that you know, an infant would understand it. But unfortunately in in the world of military doctrine. And let me be clearer, I'm not talking about just the military people. I'm talking about civilian political scientists in the Pentagon. They invent these magical worlds where you can use nuclear weapons with very limited consequences, and the physics I want to understand, the physics of this shows that that's not true. Forget about all the other complexities, like no one would know what was going on if a nuclear weapon was used. Let's just reflect back on what happened when the World Trade Center was in The President had no idea what was going on. The US government couldn't inform it because they had no idea of what was going on. Now, imagine you have hundreds, if not thousands of events on a much larger scale simultaneously going on. Who is going to know what's happening, and of course all kinds of reactions and counter reactions could be happening automatically, and every simulation, every simulation that's worth looking at, indicates that you would have a rapid escalation to a general nuclear war, nuclear weapons start to get used. So we need to do everything, absolutely everything to keep our hands off the Russian systems because if they attack us by accident, it's going to be the end of everyone. So this is not like poking the bear to see what he's going to do. This is really dangerous.
Speaker 3: And so as you're watching all of this play out, and we can put the first element up on the screen, this is what happened in Crimea recently. This is a vo of obviously munitions hitting a beach in Crimea and control room you can go ahead and put E three up after that finishes playing. This is Russia blaming the United States for what they call the barbaric Ukrainian attack on Crimemea. Obviously it's been an escalation in recent days in this war. So, Ted, as you're watching this play out, how do you feel, based on all the context you just gave us, the administration is handling the threat of potential nuclear conflict. Are they. Do you feel good about the way the administration?
Speaker 4: No, I'm I'm tremendously disturbed by the way the administration is handling this. It's as if the administration is poking the Russians, trying to provoke them to do something very dangerous. Now, I don't want to sound like a Putent lover, but I have to say that looking at Putin very clear eye, not all this silly demonization of them, but just looking carefully at his history and what he does, what he says he's going to do, and how he follows up, it is very clear that mister Putin is an extremely stable, strategic thinker, and I do not believe he is going to do anything rash in responsibility. He's not going to be provoked. But it appears, it appears that the United States is trying to provoke him to do something silly. It's not silly, extraordinarily dangerous and leaving. And I do not think he will do this, but I think he will strike back, and it will cost American lives in the end. He's made it clear just the other day that he considers this a serious war crime. Incidentally, I haven't seen, it looks to me more like an accident, but that's another discussion. But he considers it a war crime, and the Russians in general are absolutely outraged. We should also keep in mind that the Russians believe, right or wrong, that this horrifying Crocus City attack in Moscow, where all these innocent people who are murdered by these people who appear to be associated with ISIS, and also according to the Russians, they believe that the Ukrainians were involved, in one way or another, supporting the ISIS attack. Given that the Russians have this mindset, independent of whether or not this is correct, they are going to be acting on it. And instead of doing things to reduce the belief among the Russians by either providing them with information intelligence or apologizing or making some statements that indicate we do not support this kind of thing, we have just stuck stuck our thumb in the eyes of the Russians at every opportunity, and this is not good diplomacy. We have this war, we want to win the war. Incidentally, we're not winning it. We are losing it catastrophically, and the American press is not covering this right now, The Russians could end this war in weeks if they chose to take the casualties. Right now, what they are doing is minimizing their casualties while they are destroying Ukrainian forces at the rate of nearly two thousand casualties a day. That's like for five thousand casualties a month. That is the strategy of the Russians at this time. That's why we're not seeing great gains in territory because their strategy is destroyed the Ukrainian army and then when the army is sufficiently depleted, then sweep in and take over everything. They have three hundred thousand troops, fully armed, fully trained, and fully equipped, not involved in the fighting at this point that they can call in any time they choose. The problem they have, or if you want to call it a problem, is they don't want to take the extra casualties associated with a big offensive action against the capable army. So the first part of their strategy is to destroy the capability of the army they're facing and then unleash the backup forces, the reserve forces on the remaining army. This is a bad situation, and the American press has not reported it accurately. I follow this every day. There's a lot of international coverage of this from organizations that every time you check what has had what they said, and what has actually been verified, they're accurate. So it's not it's clear to me that we have an accurate that I have. Others do too, have an accurate picture of the situation in Ukraine. We have lost already unless the Russians, you thought, I'm sorry, I was, unless the Russians. Well, the point the point here, the point here is that if we have already lost, why aren't we talking to the Russians to see what kind of cease fire we can get? Instead we talked about victory. There is no victory. I'm not saying this because I'm you know, some kind of defeat us. I'm saying this because the facts are clear, and all that is happening right now is the Russians are deepening their commitment. They're resolved to finish this thing in a way that meets there perceived security objectives. And their perceived security objective is to keep NATO out of Ukraine. And what they will do, what they are poised to do and can do at any time, except that they don't want to take the casualties at the moment because they have a strategy that's working. What they will do is they will take all of Ukraine, of the Black Sea coast. They will probably take up to Tiev the land there. They may take the main body of what we call Western Ukraine, but I don't think they want to do that because the Western Ukrainians are deeply hostile to Russians. But what they can do is they can then strangle Ukraine because the Black Sea Coast is the only way that Ukraine can take these tremendous resources they have in brain and sell them to the world. So they can just stop Ukraine from being an economically viable enterprise. So I don't have any idea what they will do. But why do we want to play this game? And this is an American decision at this point, and it's the only decision we have all this fiction, which I believe is designed to prevent the average American from understanding that the war in Ukraine is lost and that this could have implications for the November election. That's what's going on here.
Speaker 1: If you're I was saying, if you're able to come to that assessment, you can imagine that the Ukrainian leadership, you know, understands the current military strategy of Russia and the current military situation they're in, which would lend you know, either to our and some type of impulse for you know, a negotiated solution to this or something desperate. And it seems like what we're seeing in the last several days and weeks is desperation. Yesterday there was another strike on a Russian kind of radar facility. My understanding from our conversation that you and I had yesterdays that that that that is not an early that that was not necessarily and.
Speaker 4: That's a command.
Speaker 1: So what can you talk about these latest strikes and how those play in.
Speaker 4: Well, the strikes on the Russian UH, yesterday's strike was on a radar system that is is designed for communications too to two space systems that are extremely deep in space. It's it's on UH, it's in a southern latitude. It's so it's it's not associated with the early warning system very fortunately, but it's it's UH. It's simply a provocation, but not something that is going to raise the alert status of the Russian nuclear forces. The Russians have a big space program. They have probes they send to the Moon, to Mars and Venus, and these things are very very far away in space, and they have a gigantic and tennis that focus radio signals on those specific objects, so they could communicate signals to them and get information back. So that's what that particular facility was.
Speaker 1: Would there be any military value in taking out one of those deep space facilities.
Speaker 4: No, it would be just doing damage to their civil space program, their science space program. It would just be an irritant I mean in terms of there's no military utility to that attack. It's an attack that says we want to hurt you, just like unfortunately, our secretary of Defense said at one time, he said, well, we we want to do strategic damage to Russia. He actually said that. So when when someone in his position says something like that, how would you miss it if you were Russian? When when Anthony Blincoln tells Lavrov, Sergei Lavrov, that well, we reserve the right to put nuclear ballistic missiles in Ukraine, what does he think Lavrov is thinking? It would be like telling John F. Kennedy during the Cuba Cuban missile crisis that we deserve the right to put nuclear arm ballistic missiles in Cuba, so you Americans don't get tough luck. I mean, I don't understand what this administration thinks it's doing. It's just I mean, it's incomprehensible to me.
Speaker 1: What about the election is interesting, I'm sorry. The point about the election is interesting that the administration may be thinking, well, this is off the front pages for now, so we can keep If we can keep it off the front pages through November, then maybe that reduces the risk to the electoral calculus.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think that's clearly what's going on. I don't, you know, I don't know, you know, but you know, if I look at the body language, so to speak, that's absolutely what's going on. They're in a panic because they understand, or should understand, they don't understand. God help us all. They are in a panic because they know that the whole situation in Ukraine could collapse at any time. Ukrainian units are refusing to follow orders in many cases now. We have reports of that even the other day in this Azov unit, which is a bunch of neo Nazis. These guys are ultra nationalists. Their followers of this guy step On Bandera. Vandera was the guy who fostered a political movement that resulted in the murder of one hundred and fifty thousand Polish people during the World War Two. And also the population of ss Gestapo units with Ukrainian volunteers. That's that's, that's the Ukraine.
Speaker 1: That they don't want, even that even that unit is facing trouble.
Speaker 4: It's it's what they did, is they there was a general in charge of the area where they were assigned, that was It's not clear what was happening, but I could take a very good, well informed guess they were probably order attacks on counter attacks on Russian units. Now, these counter attacks cause extraordinary levels of casualties among the Ukrainians, and the reason for this is that the Russians now have complete control of the air. So this is what the Americans have typically in a war. You know, we have complete control of the air, but the Russians have an ear and they also have ten to one artillery firing capability ten to one. So when you go out, when you get out of your foxhole and go running at the enemy, they slaughter you. And this is exactly the kind of combat strategy the Ukraine has been involved in for the last couple of years. A very high percentage of the losses that the Ukrainians have been suffering are due to these hopeless attacks. Rather than falling back and trying to defend positions and letting the Russians try to take those positions, they just run into the fire of the Russians. And it's very clear that Kluton does not want a large number of Russian casualties. It's very hard to know what's actually happening. So this is a guess. I want to be clear, this is a guess, But my guess is that the casualties being taken by the Ukrainians are five to one. So when you hear about fifteen hundred casualties being taken, which is sort of the average during the day, fifteen hundred to two thousand, right now you're talking about three hundred or three hundred and fifty or four hundred casualties on the part of the Russians. So this is a massacre. And you know, my own view of this is I'm terribly upset about it because I from my point of view, you can call me whatever you want, but I just see innocent people on both these Russian soldiers are no more guilty than these Ukrainian soldiers who have been forced into combat, and they're murdering each other for no reason. Because Ukraine is lost, and the political decision makers are sitting in the White House, and in this case they are the ones because they have these step on Budera extremists in charge in Ukraine. The White House is trying to sustain the appearance with the help unfortunately of the American press, which has not done a very good job, that this war is still open to a potential positive end for the United State. It's actually over.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry, well I was Actually that's a big picture question. I'm so curious, as you've worked in the space for decades, just thinking about what's happening at the White House, as you just outlined it, how does this moment compare to previous moments of potential escalation to the point where the threat of nuclear conflict? You know, maybe even in recent memory. Obviously you mentioned earlier your history in the space in the nineteen eighties, but just maybe even over the course of the last ten twenty years, has there been a moment as precarious as this is. It always as precarious as this. How does this compare?
Speaker 6: Well, The problem is there could be a completely unforeseen series of accidents.
Speaker 4: Let me give you an example. We know this happened. We know this happened. In fact, I have studied in some great detail and I've written about it. We know that in nineteen ninety six, nineteen ninety six, it was yeltsin Clinton, and we were in this phase where both Russia and the United States were hoping to have a holy new relationship. We watched it, in my view, but that's another discussion. But people were not at each other at all, and it was there was a sounding rocket, a rocket that's launched vertically by scientists, you know, point beheading people like me who were just who were just trying to understand take measurements in the ionosphere, upper ionosphere. And they launched this rocket in a near vertical trajectory slightly tipped over away from Russia, but it went to a very high altitude eleven thousand kilometers and it was taking measurements of the ionosphere. Well, the problem with this rock was that its powered flight trajectory had the appearance of a trident ballistic missile of going through a near vertical trajectory. Now most people would say, why does that matter, Well, this, this could be the first part of a nuclear attack where you detonate a nuclear weapon at high altitude and it creates a sort of a radar absorbing layer in the atmosphere. So it's it's like you took a blanket, you threw it over the radar. Or if you have think of yourself as a as someone who's watching and I throw I throw a blanket over your head, so now you can't see anything. And this kind of precursor attack is exactly something you had both sides, Russia and the United States planned for in their own nuclear war retaliation findings, you know, planning. Now, in nineteen ninety six, you had a very In fact, I've spoken with the guy who was in charge. His name is Victor Yessen. He was the guy in charge of the Strategic Rocket Forces at the time, and he's a very sober, extremely well educated, competent man, and he sat there watching this thing, this experiment, which he had no idea whether or not it was a nuclear weapon, rise to its maximum altitude. In the moment it started to fall back to the earth, he called off the alert because he knew that this whatever it was, he didn't know what it was, but he knew it was not a precursor of nuclear attack. Now, if the time was, if we had big fighting going on in the Ukraine, in Ukraine at the time, in the United States in Russia, maybe we're using tactical nuclear weapons against each other or very so is very very serious escalation. NATO troops were injected, you know, the French troops that Ma Kron wants to put into into Ukraine. They're being slaughtered by the Russians, which of course will happen if those troops are there, and you know, the Russians could think they were under attack. Now, I think they are very cautious. So I don't want to overstate this, you know, I mean, the Russians are very cautious, They're very competent, they're very professional. They understand that if they accidentally attack the United States, it's the end of their country too. So I don't want to overstate this. But the question I would ask you to consider is do you think they're them having this state of mind at that time without a complete knowledge of what's going on, is a good thing for the United states. That's the So I don't want to be one of these people. O. The sky is falling, the sky has fallen. But when the consequences are literally the end of civilization and you know, potentially the end of human existence that is less clear, but certainly the end of civilization as we know it, why would you want to push push the buttons on this. I don't understand. I'm baffled. And part of the reason may be that the people in the White House are not informed. And that's been my experience. Incidentally, I've talked to people over decades from time to time in White House positions and they don't have a clue there. Because these people are political and I'm not saying this to attack them. They're concerned is how do I get reelected and how do I how do I keep the American public from knowing my dark secret, you know, my screw up on something. And that's why you see all this Kate mongering for Putin. You know, Putin is our adversary. There's no question that he doesn't mean good things for us. But he's not Adolphe. I mean, this is ridiculous. He's a very capable guy who is Jiu jitsing us in so many circumstances. These guys don't want the American people to figure out how clever he has been and how everything we have done to try to screw up the Russians has backfired on us because the Russians have been clever and responding. So what do you do. You don't want to You can't explain this. You don't want to explain this to your electorate. You're trying to get reelected. So he say, oh, it's this guy Putin. He's so terrible, he's so such a Now I'm not trying to say that I would want to run against put In an election in Russia. He killed me. But but you know, Muhammed Ben Salmon is not our oneful somebuddy either. You know, these countries have their own political systems, and when you when you recognize what's going on in those systems, doesn't mean you approve of them, and it doesn't mean you think it's good. It's just understanding the facts of the world. And this guy, this guy Putin, is unbelievably thoughtful, deep thinking, and strategic in his thinking. And he just said just yesterday that he's going to find a way to pay us back for what he sees as this attack. And let me tell you, he doesn't bluff. He doesn't bluff. I have watched him with extreme care, and when he says something, I don't say, Oh, he's a monster, what are you know? Blah blah. You know, I take it at its word. And I asked myself, what does this guy mean? And we have had a decades of people who claim to be experts on Russia feeding us nonsense about what a monster this man is. He's not a nice person. You wouldn't want him as your close personal friend. But that is different from portraying him as this monster that goes around murdering people. Whenever he has the notion, it's not the case at all. You'll you just have to look at the facts. And so we have these people who in one way or another are getting funding from the US government to a field an alliance to the US government, who have painted this portrait that is totally bizarre. I mean, why don't we do that with other you know, you know, he's not hitler.
Speaker 1: I mean, underestimating your adversary usually doesn't usually doesn't end well.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not simply underestimating it's portraying your adversary in a way that hides your bad decisions that are backfired on you. So it's what I consider it a politically motivated strategy.
Speaker 1: Well, Theodore Postal, thank you so much for joining us, you know very much.
Speaker 4: Pretty it's been a pleasure. I hope it's been helpful.
Speaker 1: Very helpful, very helpful. Indeed, very much appreciated.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: That was Ted Postal rather sobering a conversation a little bit when when he joined us, he looked behind and said, I see Washington is still there.
Speaker 3: But then we had to say, well, it's on a loop episode.
Speaker 1: But the fact that we're alive suggest that Washington is still here. We are in Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not in like a bunker, although his bunker temperature sometimes yes.
Speaker 1: Indeed. Anyway, we're having a Ukrainian conversation debate on our Friday show, so you know, come back Thursday evening for that if you are a Breaking Point subscriber breakingpoints dot com to get the to get that early. Otherwise, as you can watch the full show on Friday, We're going to have another streamer, vash talking to a libertarian state median with the comedian.
Speaker 3: What's h comedian?
Speaker 1: So they're going to be teasing out their own takes on the Ukrainian conflict, and.
Speaker 3: We're tableted today a little inside baseball. So this is one of two debates that Ryan and I are moderating. Somehow become debate moderator.
Speaker 1: We have. Life comes at you.
Speaker 3: Fast, sure does, so stay tuned for the breaking points debate coverage that you know CNN won't let us carry the stream, but we will be here carrying the stream with Crystal and Sager tomorrow eight pm. Whether or not CNN lets us pick up on the debate stream eight pm. Right here seven pm tonight through Zero Hedge Debate. But that does it for us for this morning.
Speaker 1: At least. We'll be back pretty soon see you tonight. So yeah,