Speaker 1: Heyo's fans, welcome in to the latest edition of Birdland Territory with Steve tim Brad and today Zach Zach Britton joining us great Oriole Pitcher, and he hasn't been going too long, so we remember him fondly here in Birdland. And of course, Ach, great to have you on the show today. You started a new venture publishing a newsletter, and we'll talk more about that when fans can find you at thesavenewsletter dot com and find your new newsletter.
Speaker 2: But how is life in Zach's world these days? Great to have you on the show today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy to be on.
Speaker 4: Life's pretty good, you know, just falling around my four kids, so I think busier than ever. You know, there's a few moments where I'm wishing I'm pitching because it's a little bit easier than you know, traveling around town and dropping them all off at sports in school, and you know now that summers here, it'll be a lot of fun. But yeah, just staying busy.
Speaker 2: With that awesome man.
Speaker 1: Great to have you on the show today, And of course fans remember you for so many things, but top of mine obviously is twenty sixteen years a year or two after you were converted to relief. And that was the best relief season I've ever seen by a picture, and maybe the best anybody's ever seen by a picture with a fifty.
Speaker 2: Four era a low whip.
Speaker 1: And by the way, he gave up four and runs and that was not in one bad outing or one in bad homestand that was for the season. Forn runs for an entire season of baseball. Incredible groundball rate. I mean, so many things happened. Fourth in the say Young should have been first eleventh for the MVP Award, Zach. When you think back to that, what memories come back to you? I mean, what does it almost mind boggling now when you look at the stats on the page.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's yeah, when every now and then somebody will bring it up to me or you know now that I'm like back in the little video game my son's friends, like, we'll play with like my card, and you know, they'll bring up the stats and I'll kind of laugh. But for me and even the prior year, I think, you know, with Brad, like going to the All Star Game with two relievers is such a rare thing, especially in the mid market, like Baltimore, like New York gets it all the time. When I was with the Yankees, it's you know, there's guys making the All Star team there that you're like, man, you know, like I played with some guys in Baltimore that it's really good years and never got the opportunity. So I always think going to the All Star Game that year with Brad, the year before with Oday, those were the things that I really remember, and I think we're special more so than the the stats. The stats are really cool in hindsight, but I think in the moment, it's just it's really cool to share that. And you know, having we had a really good bullpen. You can't, you know, being a setup guy, being a closer, you can't have success in the ninth inning if you don't have anybody getting you to that spot or probably navigating the heart of the lineup. So I don't have to you know a lot of the time. So it's it was kind of just the perfect storm for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I look at that season two and it was it was a lot of fun. But I really I think back to like fourteen, when you got converted to a reliever. I remember kind of going over the roster and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to fit in, and I'm like, I remember now, and you had against the Phillies.
Speaker 3: I think it was Utlely.
Speaker 5: Howard and somebody else, but it was like eleven pitches, three strikeouts, and I'm like, all right, there goes my spot. When when did it finally? Like, because you're was it Dave and Dom because I've talked about them on the show, Dom che d Dave Wallace, Like, were they just like, hey, just throw your sinker?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Like, how did that kind of evolution go.
Speaker 5: From being a starter to finally knowing you're going to be a full time reliever? Like did you when did that? Can you just like go through that process a little bit of what you were thinking. I'm sure it was a lot of emotions and thoughts and everything while that was happening.
Speaker 4: So it really started in that off season going into fourteen, I was out in California working out with Brady, Miguel Gonzalez, Tillman, you know, Brian mattis Way and Chen and Dave and Dom were they were you know, they were hired already, but they were making the rounds out to meet some people and they flew out there and I was throwing a bullpen and I threw this bullpen. I actually thought it was really good. I actually thought I threw a good bullpen.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, this is a good first impression. And you know, Dave.
Speaker 4: Dave was like, yeah, that was all right like that, and I was like, wow, I thought like I knocked their socks off and he was just like yeah, and he really dove into me about like, you know, because I was throwing a bunch of like I was not my change up in this bullpen. I thought it was good and he was like that's that's kind of trash, Like that's not gonna work man. And he was like, so, you know, why, why do you think you've struggled? You know, as a starter, you know, what do you view yourself as going forward?
Speaker 3: I was like, man, I'm a starter.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be you know, Col Handles and Greg Maddox or excuse me, Tom Glavin and they were like yeah, like we really think like you need to improve like your command and just really focus on that sinker and like we envision being probably hopefully part of this team and probably looks like a bullpen roll for you, like that's just being around the game, that's what we think. And I didn't really like that first impression, but I also appreciated the honesty. I remember going home and and kind of just being like, I'm out of options, Like this is their plan obviously for me, and I'm just gonna try to have like the best spring training I can make the team, and then maybe if I.
Speaker 3: Make the team as a reliever, I can go back to starting.
Speaker 4: Right That was that was the mindset, But it really started in the off season when I met David Dom and you know, it wasn't all you know, being critical.
Speaker 3: They were like your ability, your talent.
Speaker 4: Obviously it's like through the roof, but knowing guys like you, you just seem more of a guy that's going to be you know, late in and really or power sinker. Here it is if you can improve your command enough, like you're going to have a good career, and either you buy into that or you know, you go to another team and you try to be a starter, but we just don't see that being your path to a long career. And so it was a lot of honesty on their part, especially since they didn't know me very well, and so I always think about that and it could be why I have.
Speaker 3: Such a good relationship even to this day. But that's how it all started.
Speaker 6: Well back looking at the beginning part of that twenty fourteen season, So you convert to becoming a reliever, and then Tommy Hunter was experiencing some early season struggles and then boom you're in the closer role, you know in May, Like, what was it like going just from not only reliever to closer closing out games?
Speaker 3: Initially?
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 4: It was interesting because in spring training, like they didn't even throw me a bone and give me a start.
Speaker 3: I went straight to.
Speaker 4: Like I was relieving right out of the gate, and Don Cheaty told me that he wanted me to understand how to I think Brad knows the story. I think I ran into a game in spring training and not getting put in the game, like I was learning, like the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I think oday was there. He just he like never lets me live it down.
Speaker 4: But they basically were like, you need to follow like Darren a day around and learn how to be a reliever. And so I just was relieving out of the gate and I got comfortable. I had a really good spring, velocity was up, you know, because I was only throwing one or maybe two innings in spring, you know, every now and then.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a ton of expectation.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I went into the season. I was so happy to finally like make the team. I had had an opening day in twenty eleven when you know, Mattis got hurt and I took his place in the rotation to make my debut. So I had experienced opening Day, but this was different. This was like, hey, like, I feel like I earned, you know, my spot by having a good spring, and I'm part of the team. I'm out of options, So I wasn't worried about getting set down if I performed.
Speaker 3: It was just it was a weird feeling.
Speaker 4: I was really excited, and I was like, like I said, my goal was to continue to have like really good outings and hopefully get a chance back into the rotation. There were some conversations I had with Buck Showalter in spring about relieving and he had mentioned, you know, his experience with Mariano in New York, where he was like, I think when people look back at you, they're gonna thank Sinker. Like, you know, when I look at dominant relievers. They normally have one dominant pitch, and I think you can do that, and I appreciated that, but at the same time, I was like, you know, I want to I've always been a starter. I feel like I can still do that. And obviously they were right. I was wrong, but that was my mindset. I didn't think too much into it. Tommy got hurt. He had some struggles, but he got hurt. Like if he didn't get hurt, he probably still stays closing. And Buck, we were in Kansas City. Buck brought me and Darren into the manager's office and said, Hey, if there's a saving the night, that's going to be one of you two, to just be ready for it.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 4: It was that, and then it was my name that got called. I think I got like three grand ball outs and I didn't think any of that.
Speaker 3: I didn't think like, hey, this is my role.
Speaker 4: I was just like, you know, we're the One thing that I learned from Darren was that the bullpen is, you know, its own unit, and it really is like your own little team. And the more that you can kind of compete against each other and support each other, the better it is for everybody, and so I didn't really think anything of it. Even if Darren would have got the call the next day, I wouldn't I wouldn't have cared because, like I said, my.
Speaker 3: Mind was still like, man, maybe I'll get a chance to start.
Speaker 4: It wasn't until the end of the year where I was like, man, this is actually pretty fun, like I actually want to start.
Speaker 2: My friend.
Speaker 1: You were a top one hundred prospect coming up as the starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: So there were some good days there.
Speaker 3: Till for sure, the miners is a whole lot different than the big leader.
Speaker 2: You're right about that. There's no question. Do you're write about that? Zach Britton with us today on Birdland Territory. We're gonna fire a few more questions his way in a moment. So I got a.
Speaker 1: Great promotion for the Orioles. Free advice here Birdland and OS. I need a bob bobblehead brock O'Day Britain on one bobblehead, bring these three gents back Saturday night. We're gonna pack this ballpark and honor these guys who are what they and their group did for the Orioles.
Speaker 2: And so again, no charge. I don't want to cut or anything. Just throw me a few extra bobbleheads I can give the family and friends.
Speaker 3: We get some T shirts. Man, I feel like there was something right and once there.
Speaker 2: Gotta be some T shirts.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, this is a slam dunk promotion and you guys said do it plate so recently it's still gonna be big. So Zach, we're talking about your incredible sinker.
Speaker 2: Why was it so good?
Speaker 1: Why is your sinker better than the next guy and the next guy and the next guy.
Speaker 4: Well, if you would have before I really got a good breakdown with the Yankees on a lot of the things that I did know that were unique to me, I would have just said, like, all the grip and you know I don't have well, I guess some of the things that I felt that I did are true, but I would say, you know, I don't have a long stride. I got a really short arm action. But I couldn't have, you know, really put together. I just thought it was Calvin Maduro showed me a grip of a cutter and.
Speaker 3: It did what it did kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But then I went to the New York and I've really found out what I do that really stands out, and actually a lot of it was how high my release point was compared to the average in the big leagues. I think it was one of the highest release points and at a short stride. So it's just really that angle of approach of the sinker was you know, it basically acted like a splitter. Most guys like a right handed splitter, and I think there was that little bit combination the velocity.
Speaker 3: If you look at that time.
Speaker 4: There wasn't a ton of left handed guys throwing you know, really power sinkers or really at that velocity, so I think it was just it was unique. And then having that combination in.
Speaker 3: The ninth inning.
Speaker 4: I mean our division we had some you know, big left handed hitters, so you can kind of neutralize them.
Speaker 3: I had always done.
Speaker 4: I had success against righty's even as a starter, so I think, you know, used to facing righty's with the sinker. It really just put me in a really good spot, that sinker against riety's against lefties.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know, like I wish I knew.
Speaker 4: Exactly why it worked well, but the one thing I learned from Dave and Dom was if it's working, you know, stick with it until they tell you that it's not as in the hitters. If the hitters, you know, eventually tell you that it's not working, then you adjust, but until then don't. And you know, maybe there was one year when I was dealing with the elbow stuff in New York where I wasn't able to get on top of the ball before I had Tommy John and I went to my slider more but other than that, I just I kind of was like, man, just beat me with my with the sinker. I really I believed in it, and I you know, I was just surrounded by a bunch of good guys that gave me a lot of confidence when I didn't have confidence when I had been struggling. And there's something to that, you know, when you get around people that believe in you. And Brady was the first one. He was the very first person that I felt like believed in me more than you know, I believed in myself at the time. And then it just kind of snowballed. I really just got a lot of confidence and believed in myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that, like, uh, I just think about David Dom, like those two guys I feel like made the bullpen as good as it was like we got a lot of the credit because we were the ones out there, you know, doing the job. But without those guys, I mean when I got over there, speaking of like Zach story with, they were like, yeah, that bullpen kind of stunk.
Speaker 2: I went to day.
Speaker 5: I went to don one morning, I'm like, hey, I'm.
Speaker 3: Struggling against lefties. Do you think you know?
Speaker 5: Starting on the lit the first base side and then going to the third bay side. When I'm facing the things, he turns me and gives me this look and he's like, your line is crap, and he just kind of walks away and he comes back to me, and its just like like Zach said, without like having guys like that around us that were just honest, and that's at some point you just have to have somebody honest with you. It just it made everything so much easier for us because then it's like, okay, you you have three pitches for my For myself, it was you have three pitches, go use them. But with Zachy was like, hey, throw your sinker until somebody tells you otherwise. But Zach, I always think of It always makes me laugh because we have all these big hitters in the division and Peter Borgis on the rays. It was he was in Zach's head. He couldn't get out of his head. Like of all the hitters in the division, Peter Borgis was just why do you think it was certain guys like that that were just able to see you better? And you have these other big guys that come up there that we face in the division and they just swing and miss at these pitches in front of the plate. Was there you think just certain guys had better approaches or was it just I don't know. I just always think of back to that story. I think it's just funny with it was like I remember.
Speaker 4: That name, struggled against them, and then Darren just you know, told everybody.
Speaker 3: I think he actually told Borges.
Speaker 4: Like you know, and I don't know, he hit a home run off me this one time, and I'm like, how the heck?
Speaker 3: Like I haven't given up a home run long.
Speaker 4: He might have hit two off me in my career, which is wild. I don't know, I would have to do a deep dive. It just seemed like he hit a thousand off me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it became a mental thing where I'm like, I feel like, this guy sees me so well. And he took good at bats. He was a more of a contact guy, and.
Speaker 3: I felt like he put like he would put the ball and play. He was fast, so he would hit.
Speaker 4: He could hit a chopper right and beat it out, and it just seemed like he found a way to get on base against me. And there was a couple other guys. I think Jonathan Sanchez is the name. He was with the Blue This guy didn't play.
Speaker 3: He was actually random random.
Speaker 2: I told him.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, I don't want to face you ever.
Speaker 4: And people were like, he's like with the Yankees, and they I think he was a coach in their system.
Speaker 3: He's like, dude, he's a coach in our system. And I'm like, look up this guy's numbers against me.
Speaker 4: Like I think I ended up hitting him twice, like unintentionally with breaking.
Speaker 3: Balls, and uh, I'm like, why am I throwing breaking balls? Is guy like I am? I am so rattled and.
Speaker 4: Gibbons with the Blue Jays, he would pinch like he knew he'd like take somebody out, pinch hit him and I couldn't get him.
Speaker 3: Out, and I was like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I put those guys in the same uh, at the same level as Dustin Pedroia, who I also struggled with. Like, so when people give me my top three, I lead with Pedroia obviously, and then I you know, I'll throw it. I'll board this Sanchez and then through those guys and I'm like, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But uh, I couldn't get him out.
Speaker 4: And then, like I said, Darren just made it to be a huge thing, and so mentally I was just I was, I was.
Speaker 3: I couldn't face him. But I have a funny story.
Speaker 4: Actually I was really dumbed out facing Mark de Cher even as a starter, and we happened to I think it was in fifteen the All Star Game in Cincinnati. He was there and we just had this conversation in the clubhouse and I laughed, I'm like, man, I just have a hard time, like I feel like you see me so well.
Speaker 3: And he looked at me and was like, oh, man, like I don't see you as well at all.
Speaker 4: I just hope you walk me And I'm like, what, like, hold on, So we're both domed out facing each other, like I think he sees me well. He's like I don't see you, well, I just hope you walk me. And so I thought about that when we faced the Yankees right after and I threw i'm a forcing fastball right down in the middle for a strike one, and he stared at me like come on, and I was like, man, I.
Speaker 3: Just gotta like throw a strike one and get this guy out.
Speaker 4: But it's just funny that you face these guys and you don't know what they what they're thinking.
Speaker 3: Every now and then you get to have a conversation with one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there's always those guys that you just cannot get out and you don't know why.
Speaker 3: And it's funny it goes both ways.
Speaker 6: I remember Brian Mattis against David Ortiz. Fuck would always use him, Just bring him in and strike him out, move on. But that going back to that twenty sixteen season, and Brad, you can follow this up to just when did you know that it was going to be special? And with both to you guys, because Brad, you had to sell one E r A as well in the first half of the season heading into the All Star break, Like when did you realize that, Oh geez, I'm I'm on a crazy run that might not end.
Speaker 3: I think after the All Star break.
Speaker 4: Just kind of looking, you know, that was your that's your chance to talk to a lot of the other guys around the league and hitters and stuff, and a lot of guys at the Alstar Game were asking me about it, just like you know, they were talking about it a lot, and I really was like, well, you know, I don't I don't want to blow this thing. So I didn't want to think of it, like I didn't want to dive too much into it because I always thought about how much failure I had as a starter, and I knew like this is very like this can come and go so quickly, and so I never really wanted to get ahead of myself. But probably when Darren started to follow me into the training room after every outing trying to figure out what I was doing.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I'm like what are you doing?
Speaker 4: He was like, I'm just literally going to follow you around because like I want to know what's your routine. I'm just gonna like be your routine. And I thought it was funny. I'm like, dude, I'm not doing it. I don't know, I'm not doing anything at a sprained ankle that year, like I hurt my ankle, so I actually wasn't doing like any cardio. I don't know, like I said, I think after the Ulcar break. But ultimately, when the season ended and I was at home, I was just talking with my wife and I was like, wow, that was that was pretty crazy. A lot of good things happened, did not blow a save. We had some really good defensive plays throughout the year that could have changed things. But yeah, you know, the last pitch I threw the season is the only pitch I actually remember thinking it was to Brett Gardner actually used to make fun of him.
Speaker 3: About it, and I I think I.
Speaker 4: Had two strikes and I was like, that was the first time in game that I was like, wow, like this has got to be the best pitch I throw.
Speaker 3: All year, Like this will end the season.
Speaker 4: And I struck him out, like I threw the one of the best singers I I threw that entire year to strike him out.
Speaker 3: And that was the only time in game.
Speaker 4: I actually thought about, like I can wrap up this like crazy season right here on this pitch. And I used to tell BRENTA, Yeah, Brett, what I would seem like you were you kept off the season?
Speaker 3: He was I got what I ran.
Speaker 1: We are talking with Zach Brittain today on Birdland Territory. Hope you subscribe to our channel and follow Zach's newsletter. When I ask him about that in a minute to say, the savednewsletter dot com and uh, we got a couple more questions coming up for Zach here in just moments, Big Bed Morning Show, Vinnie and Hani Inside Access live on YouTube weekdays six till.
Speaker 3: Six, Search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 6: Subscribe for daily Short's right to your phone and never miss what you missed one O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 1: Zach, I think baseball fans know you've got a lot of great opinions to offer. You always were one of the best guys to interview, provide such great insights. And I'm sure that's happening right now with your new newsletter.
Speaker 2: And it is new.
Speaker 1: It's only been a few episodes you published your It's in the infancy stage, I guess.
Speaker 2: So how did this come to be?
Speaker 4: You know, I had a lot of people when I was done playing ask me if I was going to do anything, and I was.
Speaker 3: It was I was in a weird spot.
Speaker 4: I had some contracts to keep playing, but I felt like my heart was kind of getting out of it. I feel like there's this like burnout stage that everyone hits and it just depends on when you hit it, and I was my kids were getting older, I felt like I was really missing out. It was much harder to leave them, especially like my oldest son. He didn't really like to want to go. He wanted to stay home with his friends over the summer, and it just it was hard to to stop playing and be at home. And I didn't really want to commit to doing TV. I didn't want to go through like the whole setting up a podcast. But recently I had a lot of people reach out about doing stuff, and for me, I kept a journal when I played, I wrote down every single as a reliever, I kept you know, note of every single appearance ever made, you know, my thoughts about every single outing. And I thought about like a newsletter. I was reading actually a newsletter, and I was like, I think I could do something like this. This would be much more you know, efficient for me with my time rather than you know, podcast is is there's a lot going on and I can just sit on my computer, write my thoughts down and hit send. And so I just was like, Okay, like let's try this out and see if anybody cares what I have to say. And what I like is it keeps me connected to the game. I don't have to do daily updates. You know, I'm not just talking about you know, anything and everything that's happening every single day in the game. I can pick topics that I want to talk about, you know, I've talked this last one that I wrote about, I wrote about the draft and I feel like, you know, it's coming up in a month. I just wrote about kind of my experience and what I'm seeing with you know, playing for a long time, like how teams are drafting these kids, and what these kids look like and their expectations, and really just like the path that you take because baseball is really unique compared to other sports where guys will they'll be stuck in the minors for a few years before they get the call, Like where the NBA, the NFL, like you see these guys on TV immediately, and baseball is just not the case. So that was my latest issue that I released think yesterday, But really it's just topics I want to talk about, just kind of my thoughts on things, and yeah, I like doing it, so I'm hoping people are enjoying it, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Just gonna keep sending stuff out and see what happens.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. Now, I think we'd be remiss to I don't want to. This isn't gonna be I don't want to turn into like a bashing. I'm just curious where your head was at the final game of twenty sixteen. I mean, Orials fans kind of want to know. I told I was telling them the other day off camera that I honestly didn't think anything about it because you had never pitched in a game on the road unless we had the lead. So like the game ended and then everybody's kind of we're all kind of talking to each other in the clubhouse, and I like, I would love to you just kind of give your experience the whole thing, because, like I said, I thought nothing of it until it was over, and then I'm like, oh, man, Zach didn't pitch, but it was. It wasn't like a thought going into it because you had never done that. But obviously the wild that wildcard game is different. But I'm just curious where your head was at with all of it because during that time everybody was just didn't really know what to say or what was going on, and.
Speaker 2: It just ended so abruptly.
Speaker 5: But what was like your thoughts going on during that game after the game, if you can remember much too.
Speaker 4: I mean I had been warming up for a while. I don't know exactly, you know, it's maybe two or three innings. I had warmed up, you know, in varying stages. It wasn't like at least playing catch. And I think I might have gotten hot twice.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought about like I had thrown a lot. We had all we all threw a lot to get into that wildcard game. We had played Toronto previous.
Speaker 4: I think we might have thrown you know, almost every single game in that series. And then we went to New York and it was the same thing, like we had thrown a lot. You know, I'd been warmed up. There was only one time, and I don't remember now exactly how that situation unfolded, but I think it was either like Donaldson got on right away and then Bautista or something like that. I think there might have been a first and second situation and I was like hot, and that's when I was like, well, I'll probably come in and like this perfect opportunity for a double play situation.
Speaker 3: And I mean, you guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: I think Buck made a mound visit but didn't take him out, and I thought like that was when I was going to go in. But yeah, like Don, like you know, Don didn't say anything. He wasn't like oh this is where like we were just kind of waiting to see and then that ending a lot of like it happened so fast. I mean, it could have only have been like six or seven pitches. I feel like, but when we got back in the duck the clubhouse, yeah, I remember seeing you and Darren and no one really said anything. And I actually think like Duquet may have like asked me if I was okay. I was like yeah, like you know, I like it sucks and we lost. Like I didn't think about like pitching. I was like, oh, this sucks, like we're going on, and then the media was asking me about it, especially like in that situation, a lot of the national media is there, and so they were asked me, like why didn't you pitch because Buck didn't put me in the game, you know, like I don't know kind of thing, and then it kind of took like you know, it grew some legs and and things like that. But I didn't at the time, I didn't think anything of it. I don't remember who else was down there with me. Maybe Tommy and Dylan Bundy could have.
Speaker 3: Been the other guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably, you know, maybe you' baldo had thrown well maybe you know, anytime you take a start and you put in the pen like unless like Kevin Gosman, I remember doing it one year.
Speaker 3: It was lights outcual.
Speaker 4: He threw hundreds right, like stuff played up, and I felt like with Eovalda, like I don't know if his stuff was gonna play up out of the pen, so it was it's easy to second guess now he had thrown really well. But like if it wasn't me, like maybe I thought it would have been like Tommy or Dylan, because Dylan at that time was throwing one hundred, so it wasn't necessarily like I thought it was gonna be me. I thought maybe like they would bring like you know, Tommy can strike guys out dealing, can strike guys out in that situation. But in hindsight, it really changed the course of the playoffs. I'll tell you that I went to the World Series that you're to get an award, and I remember talking to Killer and he's like, gosh, man, like now I'm getting absolutely abused because no one wants to answer those question. So I think it really changed that year and then future years how guys did not want to answer that question about why I left my closer in the pen.
Speaker 3: But who knows.
Speaker 4: I could have came in and gave up the game, And then does my season feel as great as it as it was? I think about that that was that would have been a tough situation to come into and have success.
Speaker 3: That's a good lineup.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, you know, like I said, I Buck always put me in a good situation to be successful.
Speaker 3: So and he always has a reason why he did things.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he'll ever dive into it, or maybe maybe there's there's nothing to dive into. And him and I have never talked about it.
Speaker 3: I never never drusted them, never asked him. He apologized in the next spring training, like at the movie theater, like like not like to me, But I think in general, like for just how it ended. But I didn't feel like it was.
Speaker 4: Necessary, and so yeah, I never talked to him about it. The thing I know about Buck and I appreciated as my career went on and I left the Orioles, was that he always looked out for my best interest and I think our bullpen's best interest, and he wanted you to be successful.
Speaker 3: So he didn't feel like that was the right spot for me.
Speaker 4: He didn't put me in the game, and you know, I trusted him because I had a.
Speaker 3: Great career with him.
Speaker 4: I mean, he did great buy me, So I never felt the need to address it with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I always thought it was like weird because, like I said, we got in the clubhouse and didn't think anything of it. Like I said, I didn't even think about it, and then everyone else got involved in the media got involved, and it was just like I felt, if you followed the team all year, you understood to an extent, but I just felt like it just got like this blown out of proportion thing, and it was just like we Zach never pitched without the lead on the road. If you went back that entire season, I don't know if there was one single time you pitched on the road without the lead. It was always somebody else and then those.
Speaker 4: Three or four days off and I needed in any But yeah, yeah, it just wasn't it just wasn't a thing, you know. We Yeah, like Brad said, I, I didn't think anything of it. I know, Jones yelled at me during the game, like put yourself in, and you know I heard him, but it's so loud and like the way that bullpen was set up even now it's actually worse, but the way that it's so loud, like you hear things like and like, I'm like I looked that at him. I think it was like, what do you mean to run into the Like that's not a thing, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I didn't think anything of it. I've been asked that question a lot, like throughout my career, especially when I went to.
Speaker 4: New York, and I feel like people always think there's like a huge conspiracy theory behind it, and but no.
Speaker 3: I've never talked to him about it.
Speaker 4: I didn't feel like I think he kind of gave an apology if I remember. Maybe Brad knows better than I, but I think he kind of said something about it in the spring, and you know, I know there.
Speaker 3: Was people upset.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not gonna name names, I know there was certain players that were really upset by it, and I just felt like, you know, he had a reason and he didn't do it, and if we would have won the game and I pitched the next series against the Rangers and did well, like it would never have happened.
Speaker 3: It just you know, the Blue Jays were good and they figured out how to win the game.
Speaker 4: We had plenty of chances to win that game, Like, we didn't have a ton of office going. Our bullpen threw amazing, and I feel like when you extend your bullpen in a game, eventually, it's just eventually like somebody's in a score and you know it wasn't your bald necessarily could have been Like I said, I could have came in and gave up that game too.
Speaker 3: So it's just like we just didn't have enough offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a postgame clubhouse was crazy. I was in there that night, three three waves. Maybe there was more of reporters at your locker.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't helped the thing.
Speaker 4: I think when the Jerseys came out and they were auctioning like game neuse Jerseys, I made like a funny comment like like, Min's technically not game us. So I didn't really like squash it. I just like, in hindsight, I was like that. I was sitting on the couch and I was just like, ah, that's a funny. And then I was like, yeah, boy, like.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, we're almost out of time here, but I don't want the show to go go be over with that mentioning Buck the other Buck, Buck Brittain. He is the older brother here by a couple of years, and just as his friend, I'm proud of him. I covered him in the Miners as as soon as he started managing. I said, this guy's path is going to go fast because he's so smart and so as his bro, how proud are you of Buck?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been great to watch him evolve. And the one thing that I know about him is he's very selfless. He the way that his career unfolded, he was a grinder. You know, he had to earn everything that he got, and you know, there was probably an opportunity for him to get to the big leagues that you know, one year, and it just really he was never on the forty man. He never just never got that chance. But he connected really well with players. He was a great coach.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 4: He was one of those guys that would give you the honest opinion of what he thought. And I feel like guys appreciate that, you know what you're going to get from him, and a lot of the young players on the roster, you know, he managed through the upper levels, and I know they talk highly of him as a guy like I said, you're gonna get a straight answer, and he's a baseball guy. He's a guy that knows the analytics and I think he's really good at adapting to the people on the roster and I know he loves being up there. And you know, I still think there's gonna be a chance for him to manage at some point in his career. I think that's his path ultimately, And I think Buck Showalter was kind of the guy that told him he should probably stop playing and pursue coaching because I think he felt like that was in his future too, and it was just another thing like show Walter identifying that for him, and really I think gave him a push in that direction, like Okay, it's time for me to hang him up playing wise and really get into coaching and It's been great and.
Speaker 3: I'm really happy to see.
Speaker 4: I'm really interested to see how you know, this career goes for him, because I do think that he'll be a manager at some point at the majors, just based on his ability to connect with players and understand the game.
Speaker 3: Where I wasn't. I didn't have that cool. I was more like, I can play, I can do my thing. Uh.
Speaker 4: It takes a really special person to be able to connect on all levels with players, especially now nowadays, there's so many different personalities you need to manage and understand how to communicate.
Speaker 3: And he's just he's just got that ability.
Speaker 2: He sure, he sure does.
Speaker 1: And I mean you look at the fact a couple of different regimes, several different major league managers, and they keep buck Britten around for obvious reasons. So great that he's doing so well, Zach. Great to see you doing well. Good luck with the savenewsletter dot com. We hope a lot of people head your way after seeing this, and uh man, we're thrilled you took time today to talk about a wide variety of topics that we left a few in the cutting room floor for the next time.
Speaker 4: Sounds good, I'm available My schedule is pretty As I always said, next.
Speaker 2: Time, next time we get Darren in here too, and.
Speaker 3: An hour and a half, Tim and I.
Speaker 2: Are taking the you off. We hit record in that show Man. That's the show I want to watch.
Speaker 1: Hey, Zach, Thanks and thanks to Tim and Brad and uh what a great show Berdland Territory. Thanks to Zach Britton for joining us today. We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.