Speaker 1: I was born into a rural farming family in northern Japan, where I lived for seventeen years with my extended family, including grandparents, parents, three brothers, and two sisters. My grandfather, who had an interest in medicine and science, was a great home teacher to me thanks to his influence. At the age of eight, I dreamt of becoming a scientist. After finishing high school in Akida, I entered to Hoku University's College of Agriculture in Sendai in nineteen fifty three. As a student, I was deeply impressed by the knowledge that antibiotics had saved the lives of many patients with infectious diseases. I received a PhD degree from Tohoku University in nineteen sixty six. At this point, I became interested in cholesterol biosynthesis. I eventually studied from September nineteen sixty six to August nineteen sixty eight at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. At that time, coronary heart disease was the main cause of death in the United States. The number of people with hypercholesterolemia, a precursor to coronary heart disease, was said to exceed ten million. My experience of living in New York made me realize the importance of developing a cholesterol lowering drug. After coming back to Tokyo in nineteen sixty eight, Sankyo Research Laboratories gave me an opportunity to work on a project of my own. Choosing I speculated that fungi like molds and mushrooms would produce antibiotics that inhibited hmg CoA reductase compactin seemed to be a wonderful gift from nature.
Speaker 2: I want to know everything more that you're about to tell me. You from that story, you will, you will.
Speaker 1: So that was excerpted from actually two different articles written by Akira Endo, who was the father of statins. He discovered the first statn and he has written about this in multiple different places. But this was from two papers, one from two thousand and eight and one from twenty ten, and we'll have them in our show notes. But yeah, I loved, I love, just like I'm still amazed at the logic link leap that it is.
Speaker 2: That's what I that's what I want. I want so much more of that. Like what was he thinking and how did he piece these things together? And like I want to know it all because I'm really, I'm really, I'm really excited for this episode. Erin, should we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, Me too, It's going to be great. Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Aaron Welsh and I'm Erin allman Updyke.
Speaker 3: And this is this podcast will kill you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Cholesterol Part two, Part two where we love in.
Speaker 3: Blue Blue Yes, good ones. Yeah, yeah to this.
Speaker 1: So if you didn't listen to last week's episode, you really should because it'll give you some great foundation for understanding why cholesterol does what it does in our bodies and why certain levels of different types of cholesterol mean disease.
Speaker 2: I know that we're biased, but I think it's a great episode. You haven't listened to it, check it out. And then today we're going to build on so much of that and talk about how we deal with high cholesterol and how we figured out how to deal with it, and it's going to be really great. Yes, But before we can start, it's quarantine time.
Speaker 1: It is once again we are drinking plack attack.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: Are we attacking plaque? Is plac attacking us?
Speaker 2: A little bit of both? Yes, with black clack attack.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty it's a pretty delicious, straightforward, nothing to do with cholesterol, just delicious. It's blueberries smashed with lemon juice and uh club soda and simple syrup.
Speaker 2: And it meant.
Speaker 1: I haven't putten down and yet it's like not, I just didn't pull it up.
Speaker 2: So we'll post the full recipe on our website, this podcast with Killy dot com on our social media's which include Instagram and blue Sky and Facebook, Facebook and TikTok. I don't know if it's there on TikTok though, listen, just follow us there.
Speaker 3: You'll see what we're up to here, Absolutely you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can also see a little bit of what we're up to by going to our website.
Speaker 3: This podcast will kill You dot com. It's got yeah, not not quite, but like it's got.
Speaker 1: It's got resources, right, got lots. We've got all of the papers we use for all of our episodes. It's got links to our bookshop dot org, affiliate page, music by Bloodmobile, links to merch links to Patreon, it's got a first hand account, form of contact us form things that everything explore.
Speaker 2: Everything we could think of is there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thank you to everyone who has rated and reviewed and subscribed on your podcatcher or YouTube of choice.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we appreciate it. We do. I know, we know.
Speaker 1: There are so much media out there that you can consume, and so it means truly, it means so much to us. It feels surreal that you're choosing to spend any time with us.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Every time and says they listen, I'm like to me to us, what really, Yeah, it's incredible, thank you, thank you. Okay, Aaron, tell me about this guy and how he came up with statins and everything else.
Speaker 1: Okay, absolutely, let's take a quick break and we'll do all of that.
Speaker 3: Last week I took us.
Speaker 1: Through the story of cholesterol and how it earned its reputation as a major cause of cardiovascular disease. Over the course of about seven decades, from the nineteen tens to the early nineteen eighties, researchers put the pieces of the cholesterol puzzle together using a wide range of studies. We had experimental ones like A. Nich Coow's athrosclerotic rabbits. There were analytical epidemiological ones like the Framingham Heart study, genetic ones, and mechanistic ones like Brown and Goldstein's Nobel Prize winning work characterizing the LDL receptor, lots of different studies.
Speaker 3: Different lines of evidence.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And this week I'm going to pick up with the final piece of this puzzle, cholesterol lowering drugs and some of the controversy that surrounds them.
Speaker 3: By the nineteen seventies, much of.
Speaker 1: The cardiology world, like researchers, physicians, and institutes, they saw the link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease as a done deal. This is established, Okay, now let's proceed from here. But that knowledge didn't reach beyond that realm of experts, and many physicians remained either skeptical or oblivious to this new knowledge. So, for example, a nineteen eighty three study of internists in the US showed that fifty percent did not recommend any therapy, including diet, for cholesterol lowering unless levels were over three hundred.
Speaker 2: Fast total in like the mid eighties.
Speaker 3: Based nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, yeah, it just it also shows how quickly things have shifted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is so interesting also because I just think about, like we've talked about before, how slow changes in medicine, and like, there are plenty of people practicing today who were probably practicing in the eighties, like getting trained in the eighties, so that it's just so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is really interesting, and I think it also like, okay for you today this I wanted to share more of these numbers because I think it'll come as a real like double take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Of that of those fifty percent who wouldn't recommend any therapy unless over three hundred hundred, nearly half said no therapy unless levels or over three point forty three, and twenty seven percent of those said that they would never recommend drug treatment under any circumstances for cholesterol.
Speaker 3: For cholesterol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what would it take for high blood cholesterol to be seen as a pressing public health issue, at least among all medical professionals, if not the general public. Yeah, an available treatment and evidence that intervention worked. Those two things would emerge at nearly the same time in the early nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: Arin. I don't want to interrupt you because I'm loving this. But as a side note, you know what we should do an episode on tell Me evidence based medicine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, because.
Speaker 2: That is a really new thing.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, what do you mean by that is a really new thing?
Speaker 2: I mean The idea that we should only make recommendations for things if we have evidence to support them is a relatively new concept in the history of medicine, and I mean.
Speaker 1: Really humoral theory has tons of support.
Speaker 2: Erin, sorry to cite.
Speaker 1: No, we should definitely do We should definitely do that. We've had ideas to do things like randomized control trials as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I know, just like, yeah, there's too long of a list.
Speaker 3: We have such a long list. It's great. It's a good problem to have.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're in the eighties.
Speaker 3: We're in the eighties.
Speaker 4: A lot of people are like, no, dude, give me some evidence, right, And the cardiologists or the cardio cardiology research people are like, oh my god, this we're in trouble.
Speaker 2: We're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we needed treatment and proof that any sort of intervention worked, whether it was the treatment or just lowering cholesterol that that led to actual results. Those two things, a treatment and proof of intervention, would emerge at nearly the same.
Speaker 3: Time in the early nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: Okay, so at the National Institutes of Health PLIANS had been underway since nineteen seventy for a large scale study that would measure the impact of cholesterol lowering drugs on cardiovascular disease. Previous studies had shown that high blood cholesterol levels overall correlated to higher rates of heart attacks, but the next step was showing that lowering those levels would then lead to fewer cardiac events.
Speaker 2: Exactly, we know that there's this positive correlation between high levels and bad outcomes. Can we change that?
Speaker 3: Can we change that? Can we do something?
Speaker 1: Because then that would also suggest it would be a very great evidence for causation.
Speaker 2: For causation, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the Coronary Primary Prevention trial was designed to do exactly that show this line of causation. The study enrolled three eight hundred men aged thirty five to fifty nine with high total blood cholesterol so two sixty five or higher, and they were to be followed for at least five years. The treatment group was supposed to take a cholesterol lowering drug, a cholestyramine. Statins weren't yet approved at this point, and all participants were instructed to follow a cholesterol lowering diet. Okay, knowing what we know today about the link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease, a trial like this would not be conducted in the same way where you would withhold drugs from one group, but at the time the evidence was not as firm, especially for medication, and so that's why it went forward. By the early nineteen eighties, after an average of seven years follow up for each participant, the results were in and they were unambiguous. Lowering blood cholesterol in high risk men reduced the risk of heart attack.
Speaker 3: Those who took period.
Speaker 1: Those who took the full dose of treatment had a thirty five percent reduction in total cholesterol and a forty nine percent decline in the rate of cardiac events. But even those who didn't follow the treatment to a t like the cholestyramine, had lowered cholesterol in heart attacks. Now, the study was not perfect, but when the results were published in nineteen eighty three, it led to a moment of reckoning for the field, like it was no longer enough to simply acknowledge that this relationship exists. Something had to be done about it right, and that's something was to be decided at the nineteen eighty four NIH Consensus Development Conference. So there was a panel of experts at this conference who came up with a set of guidelines for what would be considered high or low blood cholesterol for certain ages and how that fell out, and also diet and exercise recommendations for how to reduce cholesterol. They also advocated for a nationwide educational program in which general practitioners as well as the general public were taught about the importance of cholesterol.
Speaker 2: I love that. YEP.
Speaker 1: This conference had a substantial impact over the next decade, with the percentage of physicians pointing out LDL as an important marker for the risk of heart disease that increased from nineteen eighty six to nineteen ninety five, from thirty four percent to seventy five percent.
Speaker 2: So like in nineteen eighty six, only like.
Speaker 1: Thirty percent said your physicials would be like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and then ninety okay, ninety.
Speaker 1: Five, and then it was seventy five percent in nineteen ninety five, better than before, better than before. At the time that the panel was making these recommendations, there still wasn't really a good cholesterol lowering medication available, So the one that they had used in the study, colostyramine, came in a sandy powder which you had to mix into water and consume throughout the day, so you had to consume twenty four grams a day, was like the goal in the study, which was like six.
Speaker 3: Packets of this or something like that. No one's chasing that. It was quite a heavy.
Speaker 1: Lift, and it was made even more daunting by the gi upset that it caused in many you know, bloating, diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Constipation and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was clearly a need for a safe, effective, an easy medication to lower cholesterol. Fortunately, researchers were well underway in their quest for such a wonder drug in nineteen seventy one. The first hand account provider for this episode, doctor Akira Endo, was working as a research biochemist at the Japanese pharmaceutical company Sanchio when he got an idea. Endo had long been fascinated with Alexander fleming serendipitous discovery of penicillin, and after a research in New York, he had become intrigued by this problem of hypercholesterolemia, and he figured that, okay, if fungi produced antibacterial compounds like penicillin to compete with other fungi, it's not like they produce it because they're like, oh, humans could use this, No, they right, it's part of the ecology.
Speaker 3: Of their penicillium.
Speaker 1: Then it's possible that they would produce other types of compounds that would interfere with or help them compete against fungi in other ways, such as maybe a compound that interferes with cholesterol.
Speaker 2: Collection because cholesterol is so essential for life. Yeah, fascinating. Yeah, So he just was like, bro Fleming did this. Once Fleming did this, Maybe there's I can find something here because cholesterol is so important.
Speaker 1: Yes, And he was, I mean part of the thing too. He was like, he was like, fungi is all I knew. So that's where I looked.
Speaker 3: Hah.
Speaker 1: But it also like that that logic is very clear, but it had no direct support from any studies, Like there was penicillin and the fact that we found other antibiotics through this sort of like oh, this thing is producing this thing that kills this bacteria or this fungi in the environment, but like, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: To think of it for use on cholesterol, like that's so that's so interesting that his brain just did that right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And found he was right about it. Yeah. I mean, so it took a while. It took two years.
Speaker 1: He and his colleagues over that time screened six thousand strains of microbes searching for a compound with cholesterol lowering properties like searching for a needle in a haystack. Really wow, And the first hit on this was less of a needle and more of.
Speaker 3: A crochet hook, but the second.
Speaker 1: Was exactly what they were looking for. A compound came from the mold penicillium citrinum with another penicillium, and they named it Compactin, also known as mevastatin later.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this was the first statin h Yeah.
Speaker 1: So over the next several years, Endo and other researchers at Sanchio tested compact in safety, efficacy, and commercial viability, and other pharmaceutical companies got wind of this, like Merk, who was like, can we get a sample of that and see what's going on? And then they were like, how did you find this? Well, we're going to look for our own statin in the same way. They had to kiss way fewer frogs, only eighteen before they found their prints.
Speaker 3: In LoVa statin in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: Oh, competition, competition, Yeah, and then there's some there's like a lot. There is so much more to the story of like statin production, statin approval, statin testing, and stuff like that, which I will have some papers there if you want to dig more into that, Okay, But essentially, there were some early trials and animals that hit some hiccups, but then those were smoothed out. Trials and humans then went forward in the early nineteen eighties and results were striking. People with high cholesterol saw their LDL levels drop dramatically after taking the medication with few side effects. But did this drop translate to protection from cardiovascular disease?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You betcha yeah, you betcha yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there was one study sponsored by merk who was testing out there statin found a forty two percent decrease in death rate in those taking a statin. This is the second generation statin, simvastatin.
Speaker 2: Simvastatan still use it today, Yeah, wow Yeah.
Speaker 1: Statins look to be the next blockbuster drug, and soon every pharmaceutical company wanted in on the action, of course, and by the last year of the nineteen eighties, three statins were approved and available on the market.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The following decade saw new statins and an expansion in their use, which allowed for large scale clinical studies, not just ones headed by pharmaceutical companies who were trying to get their drug approved. Also just can't believe how recent it all was.
Speaker 2: Me neither. I really did not realize that this was all in the last forty years since the nineteen eighties. That's really wild.
Speaker 1: It is wild, and I think it also is part of the reason why there's been such controversy.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. It's so interesting though, arin because there's so there's newer, newer, newer drugs that I feel like have way less controversy surrounding them.
Speaker 1: I know, And I'm just like, what, I there's a lot, there's a lot, and we're gonna we're gonna get into it in a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, But these studies, these large scale studies that were done not just by pharmaceutical industry, they conclusively and consistently showed that statins were life saving drugs and that they had earned their blockbuster status. Correct Across the board, statins led to a twenty five to thirty percent reduction in LDL coronary artery disease and death from cardiovascular disease. In the forty or so years since statins have been on the market, death from cardiovascular disease has dropped by over seventy five percent in many industrialized countries. Statins are a major tool in that fight, along with big advancements in medicine, lifestyle modifications, and diagnostics. But of course the story doesn't end here. The potential benefits of statins are enormous, both at a population and individual level, especially with cardiovascular disease being the leading cause of death in many countries. But increasingly the benefits of these drugs are not realized because people aren't taking statins when it's recommended that they do.
Speaker 3: Why is that? Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: As it turns out, it's for many different reasons. A couple of recent papers looked into the issue and they presented some themes that they found in why people either refused or discontinued statins. There were, you know, practical and logistical considerations, so concern about taking multiple medications, polypharmacy burden, financial barriers, you know, having to drive to the clinic to get low cost statins, things like that.
Speaker 2: That's so annoying because they're all generic and not, especially in this country, be high costpits that they are, and.
Speaker 3: There should be you know, by mail et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, pregnancy and breastfeeding is another sort of practical reason or preferring lifestyle modifications over a daily pill, like I'm not gonna be able to take a pill every single day, I'm gonna forget that. There were also preconceptions about side effects or impact on someone's identity, so people reported negative side effects or a fear of negative side effects, and others felt that taking statins was like giving up, that it signified sickness, and that they didn't want to be on a medication for the rest of their life. They didn't want to be dependent on this drug for health. And then there was another big reason or another big theme was mistrust in medicine and kind of a lack of understanding or belief in the drugs and how they worked, so some questioned their utility. Like I have high cholesterol. The doc says, I have high cholesterol, but I don't feel bad. Statins doesn't make me feel any different or it makes me feel worse.
Speaker 2: Right, I have this side effect that came from it, I think, And I didn't feel bad to begin with, right, exactly, why would I be on a medicine forever?
Speaker 1: People didn't also understand how statins lowered cholesterol, so it was just sort of like, well, I don't understand how they work, so I don't know that they do work. And many people also questioned the motives of doctors in prescribing the medication, like big Pharma has a hand in this, and they felt that over prescribing was an issue, especially with levels being revisited every so often and being like, now we recommend that you're you know, you didn't recommend me last year when my ELDALE.
Speaker 2: Was the same exactly. Now we need your LDAL to be less than seventy. Now we needed to be less than fifty five now, yeah, without a good explanation. They just updated the guidelines in March of this year, so they're changed yet again.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's this sort of fear of like diagnostic creep. Is that happening with cholesterol and statins or is there evidence to support this shifting of the levels and the recommendations. But often with all of these different reasons, it was a combination of things that led people to either refuse statins or stop taking them.
Speaker 3: Within two years, roughly.
Speaker 1: Forty percent of people who were taking them for primary prevention and twenty five percent of people on statins for secondary prevention end up stopping the medication. So to say that these negative attitudes towards statins are worrisome, I think is quite an understatement. It could have serious, even fatal consequences. So what do we do about it? The first step is understanding why, you know, where are these attitudes these beliefs coming from. Many of the reasons that people give for not taking or discontinuing statins can be attributed in part to misinformations or negative beliefs promoted across social media. When statins first came on the market in the late nineteen eighties, the cholesterol heart disease link had not yet been fully embraced by the general public, and in fact, there were some highly publicized front page stories written by vocal deniers controversy cells, consensus doesn't yes. And so all of a sudden, you go to the doctor. Your doctor is telling you should take this drug for your cholesterol. But just that morning you read how the cholesterol heart disease link is overblown so that big Pharma can rake in the dough and get people on meds for life.
Speaker 3: Why would you do this?
Speaker 1: Right? And it would take years after statins were introduced to put together those big data sets that show the life saving benefits of the drugs and the relatively low rate of side effects. And so doubt has really been sewn into statins from the very beginning, along with a mistrust in how the pharmaceutical industry is involved.
Speaker 3: And I get it, like.
Speaker 1: There is some truth to this involvement, especially early drug trials being designed by pharmaceutical companies. Many researchers in this area hold board positions or received funding from these companies or have a patent for these drugs, and they're trying, you know, like there is there are financial ties that are undeniable.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, one hundred percent. And I will say like in today's day in age, not just with pharmaceutical companies, also with radiology companies and imaging companies and genetic testing companies, and so as our guidelines shift to incorporate more of these, like it is very valid to question these conflicts of interests, whether they are real or perceived, Like they.
Speaker 1: Matter, they matter, they do matter, And I think that this is, like you said, as these as these guidelines are shifting, there's these questions around like who, what's what's behind these guidelines, is there evidence for it?
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: At the same time, decades of statin research. These drugs have been around for almost forty.
Speaker 2: Years forty years now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, decades of research have proven the value of statins, and that research is not solely conducted by industry, but large scale work being done across the globe, not just within pharmaceutical sectors in the United.
Speaker 3: States, but across the globe.
Speaker 1: And while yes, of course pharmaceutical companies love a drug that someone has to take for long periods of time, many statins today are available in a generic form, and so they're not as profitable as they once were. In any case, your primary care doc is not getting a kickback from prescribing these drugs. They simply don't want you to die from heart disease.
Speaker 2: It's so truely Arian, that's true.
Speaker 3: It's true. Okay.
Speaker 1: Another big reason that people cited was side effects, including or specifically muscle symptoms. This is one of the top reasons that people stop taking or never start taking statins. Side Effects are real and important to take seriously because they can truly impact quality of life. But the story of side effects when it comes to statins is complicated.
Speaker 3: Until two thousand.
Speaker 1: And one, there were very few reports of tolerability or safety concerns for people taking statins, but that year a statin seruvastatin, was removed from the market due to safety concerns, specifically for rahpdomiel issis, which occurred at a rate of zero point zero one percent in people.
Speaker 3: Taking it okay.
Speaker 1: Promptly after its removal from the market, all information sheets included warnings about all for all statins included warnings about muscle symptoms, and physicians counseled patients to report muscle aches as an early warning sign of rahpdomiel issis. This issue was highly publicized, as it should have been. You know, this is a potentially serious side effect, and so let's you know, make sure you look out for this. And many patients who felt muscle aches often would interpret them as myopathy or go to their doctor with concerns about myopathy. They would stop taking statins and their symptoms improved, which reinforced the belief that these statins might be dangerous, right, or the cause of that the cause of that? Right, And certainly these muscle symptoms were and are real, But there is also something called the nocibo effect that seems to be at play here, at least to some degree.
Speaker 3: So the nocebo effect is the opposite of the placebo effect.
Speaker 1: It's anticipation of negative symptoms that leads you to experience them. Studies on statins have shown that when both researcher and patient don't know whether someone is getting medication statin or placebo, both control and treatment groups experience similar rates of muscle aches, which suggests that it might not be the statins themselves directly responsible for those symptoms.
Speaker 3: Right, At least in all.
Speaker 1: Cases, the symptoms are absolutely real. The nocibo effect does not mean that it's all in your head. You're experiencing these symptoms. They just might not always be caused by the drug itself.
Speaker 2: Right. It's not like there's a direct mechanistic link between the drug that is directly causing that muscle symptom necessarily, right.
Speaker 3: But it could be.
Speaker 1: It could like, and so this is where it's really really tricky to tease apart both the patient and provider. And so it might be just like, feel like the easiest course to go, I'm just going to stop because I don't want to feel this way. I don't want to. I'm worried about this, and this is hurting my quality of life. I'm going to stop. Other research has also shown that people who are exposed to more negative stories surrounding statins and side effects are more likely to discontinue use. And I think that what's also at play here is when we kind of touched on this, is that we don't feel high cholesterol like, we don't feel any different when our cholesterol is low, but we do expect a lot of the time that the medications we take will make us feel different. We're supposed to feel better from these medications, supposed to feel something something yeah, yeah, And so it makes sense that if you read horror stories about side effects of statins that abound on the internet, you're predisposed to expect that those bad outcomes will happen to you. And what doesn't help this is that there is a vast amount of misinformation and disinformation about statins circulating on social media and generative AI. There's a motive for people to be spreading some of this misin disinformation. So in fact, there was a recent study that showed that many generative AI models, when fed prompts asking about statins, especially if those prompts were leading sort of like what can I take things?
Speaker 2: Isn't there some evidence of these side effects with statins like those kinds of questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or like what should I take that's safer than statins? Like what natural product should I take that are that's safer than statins. But many of these models gave inappropriate and inaccurate answers.
Speaker 2: That doesn't surprise me at all, right.
Speaker 1: Right, the sheer amount of misinformation that's out there and just sort of the overall decline or disregard of expertise that's happening around the globe.
Speaker 3: Yeah there.
Speaker 1: And then there are the people who are very vocal in their opposition to statins, that at the same time are telling you don't go on statins, buy my red yeast rice supplement instead, or buy this diet book, or they're trying to make money off of you in some way, you know, subscribe to my sub stack that says, you know, day one diet with me, and right, I'll tell you throw away your statins, Yeah yeah, And that the thing is like I also understand why that's appealing when you've been dismissed by your physician, or your physician is saying it's not the statin causing this, just like that simply across the board, or if you can't even afford to go see a doctor, right, this this information is out there, and that is filling a hole that you want.
Speaker 2: And it feels like you're being taken seriously for the first time when you're like I went to my doctor with these concerns and you were totally dismissed or they were like, oh, you're fine, right, I'm not fine if I'm having symptoms, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean again, like all of this, I think what it does is it speaks to a need to more closely examine the side effects that people report, not just muscle symptoms, but the other side effects that people report, and how best to address them, how best to measure them, How can we make it so that people can take drugs that will lower cholesterol and potentially save their lives. So again, what do we do about it? And I think that as a start, we can look at the reasons people take statons. So that same systematic review that I mentioned earlier also showed many people have positive sentiment towards these drugs. They trust their efficacy, like look how much my bad cholesterol dropped and my good cholesterol rose. They report that their health anxiety has eased thanks to the drugs, reporting an enhanced peace of mind, and they view them also as a way of taking control and ensuring a better, healthier future. Rebrand these drugs for what they are heart attack prevention, stroke prevention, a way to extend your life, your quality of life, and spend more time with the people you love, accomplishing all the things.
Speaker 3: You want to do.
Speaker 1: These drugs might not make you feel any better instantaneously, but they will make it more likely that you're around to feel and do things ten years from now. Having high cholesterol it doesn't mean that you have failed. It should not be seen as shameful, as something that you should hide or feel embarrassed by, and taking these medications should make you feel like you're taking agency over your own life. Prevention is always harder, especially when the threat like a heart attack, doesn't seem imminent or is so scary that you're like, I have to think that this won't happen to me.
Speaker 2: I can't put my mind in that place.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that denial it really does not serve us well. And so with that eron, I'm going to turn it over to you to tell us about how statins actually work and where things stand with cardiovascular disease around the globe today.
Speaker 2: I would love to so knowing that statins have made such a huge impact, or have the potential at least to make such a huge impact on disease, I think we first need to understand a little bit more about how they work. So I want to go through not just statins, but the strategies overall that we use today to lower LDL cholesterol, specifically how these strategies work, and then I want to wrap up by giving us all like a reminder of why lowering cholesterol is so important, by looking at athrosclerotic heart disease kind of across the globe. Okay, And so the first thing to know is that while statins are because of how long they've been around and because of how strong the evidence is that they are extremely effective not just at lowering that cholesterol, but actually at preventing heart attack, stroke and death. They are a mainstay of therapy today for cholesterol management, but they are not the only thing that we have. And the first thing that is always recommended across the board is diet and lifestyle changes. And the thing is that we do have really decent data as far as nutrition data goes, which we all know is limited. Yep, we do have decent data that lifestyle changes can work for a lot of people. But the problem is that we also know that your total cholesterol and your LDL cholesterol, so the packages of LDL cholesterol are not entirely driven by your diet. They're not entirely driven by how much exercise you're getting, right. There are a lot of different things that go into determining what your cholesterol levels are and whether they are high or whether they are low. And one of the big things is our genetics. You talked in last week's episode AARIN about familial hypercholesterolemia. This is one or really kind of like one group of disorders that can seriously contribute to elevated cholesterol, especially LDL cholesterol. But it's not the only one. There are a whole bunch of other genetic contributions, whether that's multiple genes or things that we don't even know yet, right, Genes that we haven't even discovered yet that are associated with the ratios and amounts of cholesterol, whether that's because these genes affect how we recycle cholesterol, whether they affect how much cholesterol we produce in our liver, or whether like in familial hypercholesterolemia, they affect our LDL receptors and how good our cells are at taking that cholesterol out of our bloodstream right, right, So all of these things are going to play a role as well as our dietary factors and our lifestyle factors, and so that is usually the first thing that any physician is going to recommend if someone's cholesterol is elevated, is can we bring this down by reducing or stopping smoking if you smoke, because that has a huge effect Lowering the amount of alcohol that you drink, which is going to help to lower your cholesterol levels. Switching out saturated fats in your diet for unsaturated fats, right, switching out animal products for plant products. These are the kinds of dietary changes that we have good data to say that not only do they reduce your cholesterol levels, but they also can actually prevent cardiovascular disease. We have that data, it exists, but for many people that isn't sufficient, and so that is when it is recommended that medication is actually used, right, whether it's because somebody can't or doesn't want to change their diet or exercise, or they can't increase physical activity, or they are literally already doing the most and it's still not enough. And that happens so so so often.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think it's like, this is where I feel like it can feel like I have failed or I thought I was trying my best to do all these things and still it's not working.
Speaker 3: And it's like.
Speaker 1: That that's okay, Like this is not your no, you're not a failure of No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's that's so true, Aaron, Like I see people in clinic all the time that this happens too, and I just say, blame your parents, like it's probably your genes. Okay. So let's then talk about what are some of the big medicines that we use and how do they actually work. Why are they working? Yes, yes, statins.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Statins block an enzyme in our liver that's called hmg CoA reductase. The cliff Notes version is that this particular enzyme, hmg CoA reductase, this one is the rate limiting step in cholesterol synthesis in your liver, so that enzyme is necessary in our liver for our liver to make cholesterol. And remember, our liver is making over fifty percent of the cholesterol floating around in our body.
Speaker 1: Right, so you have if you have more hmg CoA reductase, then you have more cholesterol photogram in your body. If you reduce that reductase that enzyme, then you have less.
Speaker 2: And Aaron, it goes even further than that, Okay, because what happens is that by blocking this enzyme in particular, because it is the rate limiting step, meaning it's like the slowest one in the daisy chain right when you're moving stuff into our house, we dramatically reduce, not just like a little bit do we reduce how much cholesterol your liver's making. You're dramatically reducing, like putting a huge break on how much cholesterol your liver can make. And because all of our cells still need cholesterol, our cells have to get better at taking cholesterol out of our bloodstream, so they actually up regulate those LDL receptors, those velcro, sticky hands on the surface of our cells that capture our LDL cholesterol floating around in our bloodstream. So it's not just that, oh, we're not making as much cholesterol, it's that we're not making as much cholesterol and our body cells still need cholesterol, so they start vacuuming it out of our bloodstream at really high rates.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. Isn't that cool?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: There's also some interesting evidence that statin's also might have a little bit of like an anti inflammatory effect as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we talked.
Speaker 2: In last week's episode about how important inflammation is in the process of atherosclerosis or in the process of that cholesterol actually forming a plaque in your bloodstream. Inflammation is an integral part of that, and so there's some thought that there's also an anti inflammatory effect of statins, though we don't fully understand that mechanism there. So that's how statins work, and they're incredibly effective erin. There was a meta analysis from twenty sixteen that was really interesting, So it's kind of old now, but it looked at over fifty different studies that looked at all the different possible interventions that we had at that time and all of the randomized control trials of those different interventions and the effect of lowering LDL cholesterol on cardiovascular disease risk by these different interventions. Okay, we had twenty five trials on statins, twenty five of them compared to only four diet trials compared to only two at the time on PCSK nine in hibit which I'll get to in a second, right one on a zmib, which is another medicine that we use. And so what that means is not only do we have so much data on their effect, it also means that our confidence intervals on just exactly how effective they are are really narrow for statins. So we know, like without a doubt that statins are extremely effective at lowering our LDL cholesterol and at reducing the risk of adverse cardiovascular events.
Speaker 3: Period is that what is what did that study show?
Speaker 1: The meta analysis show in terms of like that by the numbers impact.
Speaker 2: So by the numbers, statins are the most consistent. Diet is A has a slightly less effect but still a significant effect. PCSK nines, which I'll get to in a second, have the greatest effect. They lower LDL cholesterol the most and they reduce your risk the most. But the confidence intervals are super wide because at least at that time, we just didn't have as much data on them, right, right, Yeah, and then the other ones are in between. But statins are like like pound I guess, I don't know if that's right, but like incredibly effective and like just so much good data to support them.
Speaker 1: We're really dialed in on how statins work and how well they work.
Speaker 3: Are there?
Speaker 1: What are the differences between different types of statins?
Speaker 2: Great question, So different types of statins. A lot of the difference is in their potency. So some statins can lower your LDL cholesterol to a much greater degree than other statins, the exact of like why, I don't know, okay, but that means that we have statins that vary in what we call their intensity, And by intensity we mean how much, by what percentage are we lowering your LDL cholesterol. So if I can give you a medicine that's going to lower your LDL cholesterol by at least fifty percent, that's considered a high intensity statin regimen. And if it's by less than thirty percent, then that's considered a low intensity regimen. And then there's intermediate in between. Okay, okay, yeah, moderate. There's also differences in like some of them are more lipophilic, so they're more like fats, and some of them are more hydrophilic, so they're more like They act more like proteins in that they're more like soluble in water, and so that might differ in how much they build up in different tissues in your body. But there's not great data that says that one is more or less likely to cause side effects than the other. And that's the next thing I want to briefly talk about because it's an important part of the statin story and you mentioned it as well Erin it is not the case that side effects don't exist. Any medication, any therapy really has the potential to cause side effects. And like you mentioned, Aaron, the most cited side effect that causes people to stop taking a statin medication is muscle symptoms, and that's a really general term. It's often muscle pain or muscle aches, or sometimes muscle weakness. Now there's also other things like gastro intestinal side effects or liver enzymes can increase, which is usually transient and can be completely reversed either by going down on the dose or stopping the statin. But muscle effects are like the big one, right and there was a recent meta analysis that looked at data from randomized control trials from over one hundred and fifty thousand people and twenty three different studies that were comparing either statins versus place EBO or different intensity as a statin, so that high intensity versus low intensity therapy. And what they found is not that muscle symptoms were never reported by any means, but that by comparing all these different regimens, what they estimated was that less than ten percent of all of the reports of muscle symptoms could actually be directly attributed to statins themselves.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense, I think so.
Speaker 1: So the it's not talking about the rate of side effects that happen, No, how much of those side effects are statin's directly responsible for cause exactly? And is this based on like do we understand mechanism?
Speaker 2: Oh, such a good question.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: We don't. Because the vast majority of these, even the side effects that could be attributed to statins are considered mild. A lot of people actually will continue their statin and the amount of people who report symptoms after the first year actually goes down. So it's usually in that first year of therapy. Realistically, it's usually within the first few weeks or months of starting a statin medicine that people are more likely to have effects directly related to the statin. But no, we don't understand exactly the mechanism. But most of them are mild and they do not result in actual damage to the muscle, tissue or myopathy. Now that does not mean that they can't ever, Right, there are more serious events like rhabdomyolysis, and that is estimated to occur about four excess cases per ten thousand people if you're on a high intensity statin. Does that mean there's only four But like some people get rabdo that has nothing to do with statins, So statins will call its four excess cases for every ten thousand people on a high intensity statin.
Speaker 3: Is it more common? Okay you were about to say yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and one per ten thousand on less intensive So it does go up, like the chances of side effects and the chances of more severe side effects go up with intensity. So sometimes just going down from a high intensity regimen to a lower intensity regimen takes away side effects entirely for people, and that's enough and then you're still getting some benefit, just maybe not quite as much as you were on a high intensity regimen.
Speaker 1: Okay, question about that meta analysis. You said that ten percent of the side effects experience are directly attributable to statins.
Speaker 3: What is the ninety percent? Where does that get attributed to?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't We don't have an answer to that.
Speaker 3: Just the hyper didn't suggest anything.
Speaker 2: No any answers, Okay, no, I mean some of it. They're like, is it just aging, is it just no stibo effect? Is it like a bunch of different possible things, but not like a clear answer. No.
Speaker 1: And so this was like by looking at people who are on placebo are still experiencing these side effects and we don't know what's causing that, Okay.
Speaker 2: Right, So then you're looking at like how many excess cases, how many excess reports will you get? It was estimated like eleven reports of muscle pain or weakness per one thousand people on statins in that first year were from statins. Okay, eleven per one thousand.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's tricky.
Speaker 2: It's really really really tricky because it's not that these symptoms are not real, right, And and if you are one of those people who has that severe side effect, right, one of four per ten thousand. That's a very real effect for you. And so it is always a tricky thing to balance because when we are talking about treating and preventing, especially when we're talking about preventing cardiovascular disease, we are talking both about population level reductions and risk, and we're also talking about an individual risk benefit calculation, right and so, and those are not the same calculations on a population scale versus on an individual scale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help when people's symptoms are completely ignored, or when they're told oh, it's absolutely not from this, or when they're told from wellness influencers online that this medication that they've been on safely for ten years is now causing the symptoms that they're having, right yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, which I see all the time.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that what is a real challenge too, is like how do you balance saying Okay, these are real symptoms, you are experiencing this, this is very real is and deciding is this caused by the statina, is this not caused by the statin? Are you going to be someone who is the point zero zero one percent are right? And then it's like what even if these side effects are not directly caused by the statin, they're still impeding your ability to say, exercise or something like that. And so it's like, gona be helpful for your health, right, it's a mess. I'm very curious to hear suggestions on how out of a question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, Like I really think that what it always has to come down to is a good relationship with a physician or provider that you trust, right, who knows you, who you know, who can explain these things to you. And like, it's why I don't think AI can take over for all doctors Aaron. But maybe that's my bias.
Speaker 1: Well it's not, but I think it is the way that medicine is going, and like the and has been trending in.
Speaker 3: The last twenty years, more.
Speaker 1: Expensive, shorter visits, yep, more video visits that don't always necessarily feel like you're having a connection with someone, right, it all is just standing in the way of forming these relationships.
Speaker 2: I know, because they're the most important thing in my highly biased opinion. Ah okay, but we have more options too. Some people are gonna have side effects from statins or they're just like no, I will not take a statin. Cool, don't worry. We have other options now, and I'm not going to go through every single one, but I'm going to call out two that are probably like the two biggest groups that we use. One is called zetimibe, and this is a drug that blocks a protein that's in the cell membranes of our guts and our bile ducts. So what this does is it blocks the amount of cholesterol that we are absorbing and reabsorbing. So this one, it doesn't have as huge of an effect by any means, but it can still lower cholesterol, often by like ten percent. We're talking LDL cholesterol. It can lower you. So that's not nothing to shake a stick at. So now let me talk about the one that people are so excited about. And then I said multiple times that is a non since we're called PCSK nine inhibitor skin. Okay. PCSK nine is the shorthand name for a protein that I'm not going to tell you the name of because I don't know it. It's too long. But this is a protein that our liver makes. It's really interesting. Its job this protein is to degrade break down LDL receptor proteins. Okay, so this protein is kind of like an anti recycler of this protein, of this receptor who usually collects the LDL in our bloodstream. Okay, yeah, Why does this protein do this, I don't know right now, but that is what it does. So if you can block this enzyme, this protein, then you will have more LDL receptors available to be reused and recycled to be collecting our LDL cholesterol in our bloodstream.
Speaker 1: So this is like a velcro glove thief, this this protein.
Speaker 2: The protein. Yeah, PCSK nine exactly, it's a velcro glove thief.
Speaker 1: Then the velco gloves are numerous to catch all those tennis balls of LDL.
Speaker 2: I really like this analogy, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, it's a really good analogy. I'm yeah, thanks.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't always come up with good ones.
Speaker 1: So I mean the best I get it was Bill Buckner. So I've really.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed that so much more than I can say. Yeah, So that is how PCSK nine inhibitors work. The main group, Like, there's a couple different medicines that we use that are mostly monoclonal antibodies. They're really interesting because a lot of times, Like they're not a pill that you have to take every day. It's like an injectable medicine that you take every week or two weeks, depending on the medicine. There's also something called in chlyserin, which is a small interfering RNA molecule okay, that binds to this protein's PCSK nine's m and degrades it. So it's also affecting that same system, it's just not blocking the receptor itself. Isn't that so cool?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: And the data on all of these medicines that affect PCSK nine it is incredibly strong. So we talked about that that meta analysis from ten years ago or so. PCSK nine inhibitors reduce your LDL drastically and can drastically also reduce cardiovascular events, especially in people who are very high risk, meaning people that we are doing secondary prevention who already have you know, cardiovascular dues, who have maybe already had a heart attack or a stroke and we really need to lower that cholesterol, or people who are just very high risk. Right, So in those populations is mostly where it's been studied, and so cardiologists love this medicine. The biggest issues are as with all new drugs, especially ones that are fancy things like siRNA and monoclonal antibodies. They are expensive as heck, especially in this country. We also just don't have nearly as much data on them as we do for statins, so the error bars on their benefit is still messier, even though they still have a really good effect.
Speaker 3: Do we have information about side effects?
Speaker 2: It's a great question. I should have looked into it more. There definitely can be side effects, but I honestly just did not do a good job of looking into them as much. So I will get back to you on that. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm not to have a question sort of like about lowering. So we've talked about lowering and the importance of having lower levels, but there is such a thing as too low.
Speaker 3: What are consequences of that?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I don't have a number for you, Okay. What the data shows is that the higher your individual risk of cardiovascular disease, right, Because cardiovascular disease is not only cholesterol.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I hope that I.
Speaker 2: Have made that clear. It is not by any means only cholesterol, but lower in cholesterol is one of the big ways that we have to reduce the chances that you're going to develop or have really bad outcomes like a heart attack or a stroke or death from cardiovascular disease. And so what we know is that the higher your individual risk based on all of your other risk factors, age whether or not you smoke, how much alcohol you drink, your BMI, your blood pressure, whether you're on a blood pressure medicine, your kidney function, based on all of those things, the higher your risk, the lower we need to push your cholesterol to really lower your risk of bad outcomes. So people who are very high risk, in the newest guidelines, people who are very high risk, the recommendation is to reduce their LDL to less than fifty five. And that's very low, and we haven't seen any bad outcomes from that, meaning we haven't found a number that is too low for those people who are very high risk, okay, but for other people, we haven't necessarily shown that there is a benefit to pushing them that low. And so for most other people, the recommendation is going to be either less than seventy or less than one hundred, depending again on what your risk is of cardiovascular disease development.
Speaker 1: Huh, yeah, So prolonged use of statins are like long time use of statins.
Speaker 3: Basically, if your blood cholesterol.
Speaker 1: Is high enough that you need to be on a statin or you are prescribed as statin.
Speaker 2: Or another lipid lowering medicine or something like that, you are on that regimen for the rest of your life. Often yeah, often, yeah, that because again that's the data that we have, right right, And we'll talk in a second about how much atherosclerosis is. It is a disease of long term right, Yeah, it's not a short term. It's not the rabbits that just get it in a week or two. It is a long term disease kind of thing, and so that is why it requires long term management.
Speaker 1: Plaques weren't built in a just like rome wasn't built in a thing exactly.
Speaker 2: Whatever, Yeah, isn't it a day?
Speaker 1: Probably I'm terrible with like saying so I thought I cannot remember them.
Speaker 3: I mix my metaphors constantly.
Speaker 2: I love it. I want to just briefly like, shout out is not the right word upon rage about rage or how sure because there is a lot out there right now on like, oh, alternative types of medicines to lower cholesterol. And I'm not talking about lifestyle interventions like diet and exercise changes. We already talked about those. They have decent evidence they're an important part of this. But one of the things that some people use or claim to have a benefit in lowering cholesterol are phytosols, right. Those are plant based cholesterols, and it is possible, based on on some like observational data, that consuming high levels of these plant based cholesterols or plant based sterols might decrease LDL cholesterol, especially when you look at people on like vegan diets who have quite a lot of phytosterol consumption or who are taking other additives of phytosterols. But we have no randomized control trial data on these, and the data that do exist, what's really interesting is that they seem to be most effective when they're consumed with meals, meaning when you're getting it from foods rather than just a supplement or an addition. And of course, as we talk about so often on this podcast, Aaron, there are no regulations on supplements, whether we're talking about phytosterols or other nutraceuticals. And one of the big ones out there for cholesterol is red yea's rice. You mentioned it erin. The mechanism of the compound produced by this yeast that's grown on rice is that it blocks hmg CoA reductastes.
Speaker 3: It's a statin. It's a statin.
Speaker 1: But okay, because it's coming from a plan, it's extracted from a plant. Plants produce different levels of these things, and so you have no idea how much you're getting, and so it can be dangerous. You could be on very low dose, non existent dose versus high intensity or whatever.
Speaker 2: And most brands in studies that have looked at this have no detectable levels of that actual compound. Right, There's no regulation on the composition of those particular supplements. There's no regulation on how much of that compound, like you said, the yeast is actually going to produce when it's fermented. So there's batch to batch variation, there's brand to brand variation, and at the end of the day, it's an unregulated statin.
Speaker 3: It's unregulated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't want to make that sound like, oh, well, pharmaceutical companies are just the best thing ever, Right, they're not. And it's also not the case that our guidelines might not be subject to some degree of bias because, like you mentioned, of the conflicts of interests that exist within cardiology and within like I mean, all fields of medicine. Realistically, a good number of the authors and the people who were involved in the peer review process for the newest DISSIPIDYMA guidelines in the US have financial conflicts of interest not just with pharmaceutical companies, but with imaging companies, with genetic testing companies. And that doesn't mean that all of our data that we have that is so strong isn't real or isn't strong, but it just muddies these waters even more and it creates this gap where people can really exploit that uncertainty totally. And it's really really a bummer because atherosclerotic heart disease, including heart attack and stroke, kills an estimated nineteen million people worldwide every year. As of the twenty twenty three Global Burden of Diseases study. Wow, Yeah, an estimated six hundred million people are living with cardiovascular disease right now every across the globe. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of disability just in life years. In some countries it is a third to forty to forty five percent of all deaths, and of course, especially in this country, the estimated costs to healthcare are in the hundreds of billions of dollars and an estimated eighty percent of this disease is due to modifiable risk factors and cholesterol. This relationship between LDL cholesterol and cardiovascular disease is so incredibly clear, and it is something that we really have the potential to treat right. So it's uh, it's such a huge bummer that there are so many people who do not have access to this right. And it's not just older adults. I think that we think of cardiovascular disease as something that only happens to older people. But the more that we look at and study the like pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease, the more we understand that especially cholesterol is a long term exposure that increases your risk. So having exposure to higher levels greater than one hundred of LDL cholesterol, especially greater than one sixty younger in life and for longer periods, increases your risk more than if it just goes up over time. If that makes sense, Yes, it does make sense. And it's estimated that twelve to thirteen percent of young adults have dyslipidemia in this country.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's not a small number, right. It's estimated that in the US, if everyone, based on guidelines, who was recommended to be on medicine to lower their cholesterol was actually on a medicine for this, like a statin, we could prevent one million cardiovascular disease events like heart attack, stroke, and death in ten years. A million. Whoa Okay, And that's just in the US, where we have much better access. In low and middle income countries, it's estimated that only one in ten people who would be recommended to be on some kind of medicine to lower their cholesterol or actually on a medicine because they don't have access. Right. So that's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's a lot, Eric, It's a.
Speaker 2: Lot, but there is. I just think it's one of those situations where medicine has come so far, right, and the data that we have is so strong, but it's also not all just one thing, and I think that that is where some of the kind of confusion and uncertainty and doubt can come from. Right, Because we look at cardiovascular disease events over time, they're still going up, right, But we have these great medicines, but they're still going up. And that's because it is so many other things that play into it. So this was not an episode just only about cardiovascular disease, but cholesterol overall. And that is what I have to say Erin.
Speaker 1: It is really complicated and it's so recent, and I think that's what contributes a lot to this. And it does go to show that you can have the data, you can have the treatments, you can have the like all of these different facets of in support of this, and that's not enough. And so figuring out that gap what will make what will be enough? How do we actually either get the treatment to people who need it, how do we actually develop better treatments.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: How do we address those gaps where we're clearly failing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a great Questionnaaring.
Speaker 3: Hopefully someone figures it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you want to read so many papers about how we got all of this information? We can tell you. We can tell you.
Speaker 1: I also want to shout out real quick too, that they're speaking like on the subject of misinformation and social media, wellness influencers, health influencers, stuff like that. There is Next week's book Club episode is an interview with Deborah Cohen. It's a book called Bad Influence, and it's really a fascinating conversation.
Speaker 3: Definitely tune in.
Speaker 1: There's a whole we have a little bit about Statin's in there, so check it out. Yeah, but papers for this episode, Okay, I have a bunch more again. I'll shout out again that Steinberg series from two thousand and four in Interpretive History of the cholesterol controversy, then by jew at All from twenty eighteen patient beliefs and attitudes just taking statins, and then by Endo a gift from nature the birth statins. So that's the person who.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. Let me tell you where you can learn more. I really liked a paper by Silverman at All from JAMA twenty sixteen that was the association between lowering LDLC which is LDL cholesterol and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions, A systematic review and men analysis. That's the one that has really great graphs, honestly on like with therabars and the risk reduction. Loved it. I have links to the newest guidelines as well too. The study looking at the overall risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attack was from the Journal of American College of Cardiology from twenty twenty three, and that was one of the global Burden of Disease studies, so we have that one. There's also that twenty twenty two paper by wreath at All in the Lancet that was the effect of Statin therapy on muscle symptoms and individual participant data meta analysis of large scale, randomized double blind trials. But honestly, there's so much more there, Aaron, so you everyone can check it out on our website this pocastikadi dot com under the episode stap.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode into all of our episodes.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Leanna and Tom and Mark and Jessica and everyone at exactly Right for everything that you do to make this podcast possible.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, and thank you to you listeners, subscribers, watchers, et cetera. We appreciate you engaging with this podcast so much. I know it sounds so clinical when I say that, but what I mean is, like anyone who like follows us on social media, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: Anyway it is, it truly means everything.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, and thank you as always to our patrons for your support over on Patreon.
Speaker 3: It means like it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that you're supporting us there. Thank you. Yeah, it really means a lot.
Speaker 3: Until next time, wash your hands.
Speaker 2: You feel the animals.
Speaker 1: Oh Buba buba bumbo ombu