Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, the markets begin this Thursday. In record territory. The S and P five hundred closed above fifty three hundred for the first time, and the Dow is less than one hundred points from the forty thousand plateau. The Catalyst a report showing inflation slowed that reinforced bets. The Federal Reserve will cut rates as early as September. Luka Paulini, chief strategistic Pictet Asset Management, says stocks may be overvalued.
Speaker 3: We see value now, for example, in bones because you have a peak in US growth inflation. Yeah, stick keep a probably trending down. The Fed is cut in rates, so we see value bones, and if you look at equities, to be honest, the value is more in Europe and Japan.
Speaker 2: Pigtet Asset Management's Luca Paulini notes the SMP five hundreds at its twenty third record of the year.
Speaker 1: Now more on that market moving CPI report. Nathan A measure of underlying inflation cooled in April for the first time in six months will the figures may offer the Fed some hope that inflation is resuming its downward trend. Officials like Minneapolis Fed President Neil cash Curry want to see additional readings to start cutting interest rates.
Speaker 4: How much downward pressure is monetary policy putting on the economy, that's an unknown. We don't know for sure, and that tells me we probably need to sit here for a while longer until we figure out where underlying inflation is headed before we jump to any conclusions.
Speaker 1: Minneapolis Fed President Neil cash Curry, who does not vote on policy this year, says he's keeping a close eye on the housing market and its role in inflation.
Speaker 2: Now, one other note about that CPI report care the Labor Department inadvertently published critical data thirty minutes early. While there were no obvious signs the early publication moved markets, the episode is likely to prompt a close look at the dissemine of data that has implications for global asset prices and Fed policy.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, we now turned to politics and a crucial meeting between two world leaders Chinese President she and Vladimir Putin meeting earlier in Beijing, and as the war with Ukraine enters its third year. Xi Jinping signals to putin ties between the two nations remained strong. We get more from a bloombergs er Bekachun Wilkins in Hong Kong.
Speaker 5: Well, there's certainly one another's most important allies when it comes to this bigger geopolitical agenda of building the so called multipolar world, pushing back on what they say as sort of the US hegemony. But of course since Ladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, there has been a deeper, much deeper imbalance in that relationship. Russia has needed China economically far more than it has ever done in the past.
Speaker 1: And Bloomberger Bekachun Wilkins, reporting from Hong Kong, China Central Television, says she said his nation was quote ready to work with Russia as a good neighbor, friend and partner with mutual trust.
Speaker 2: Well as for domestic politics, Karen, the debates are set between President Biden and former President Donald Trump, even before they are officially their party's nominees. The two front runners have agreed to face off twice, first on CNN June twenty seventh, then on ABC September tenth. Bloomberg Politics contributor Rick Davis says President Biden will need to come prepared.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump is a disruptive guy. He knows how to take control of these situations. He's got enough capacity to really be a disruptive force and something like a debate and General Joe Biden, I mean, come on, I mean, he's a dignified guy who tries to play by the rules, even if there are no rules to be played by.
Speaker 2: The Republican strategist Rick Davis says the president will have to throw out the traditional rule book. Both campaigns rejected the rules and schedule of the non partisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which has handled these events since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, Nathan Trump will be in a courtroom as his hush money trial continues in New York. The prosecution's star and witness will once again be grilled by Trump's defense team, and we get the latest from Bloomberg Law host Jun Grosso In New York.
Speaker 7: Michael Cohen will be back on the witness stand today for more cross examination by Trump's attorney, who will continue to attack his credibility. Cohen is the prosecution's final witness. Trial is not in session tomorrow because Trump is attending his son's high school graduation. The defense has not yet said whether they'll put on a case or whether Trump will take the witness stand in his own defense. In New York, June Grosso Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, June, thank you. Back to markets now. We're watching shares of Chubb. They're up nine and a half percent in early trading thanks to an investment by Warren Buffett Moore from Bloomberg.
Speaker 8: Stug Krisner Berkshire unveiled a stake in insurer Chubb. It's valued at six point seven billion dollars. Berkshire made the disclosure in the filing on Wednesday. Now, the conglomerate has been building this stake in Chubb since twenty twenty three, but it hadn't been previously reported since the SEC allowed Berkshire to keep it confidential. Even so, separate quarterly filing showed Berkshire's equity stakes in banks, insurance, and finance companies were growing while the firm was pulling back in other industries, including consumer products. Chubb is one of the largest property casualty insurers in the US, operating in fifty four countries. Globally in New York, iimem Doug Prisoner Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Doug, thank you. Chares A Cisco also on the rise. They're of four and a half percent. The company gave a solid sales and profit forecast for the current quarter. And let's say that indicates customers are beginning to invest in their computer networks again.
Speaker 2: Well us for the meme stocks that have been rallying this week, Karen, that looks like it could be fizzling. Let's get an update now from Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 9: John, and if in gamestaff felt nineteen percent yesterday, AMC sent twenty percent after that movie theater chain took advantage of the stock rally to reduce its dat a slide, erasing roughly three billion dollar dollars in market value. Between the two. The stocks at more than doubled over the first two days of the week. AMC and game Stop are among the top ten securities bought by retail investors earlier this week, with fifty one million and sixteen million dollar daily inflows. But Ben Ladler, Global Market Strategists at E Toro says the conditions that drove the surge and the meme stocks back in two thousand and one are no longer present this time around. For instance, the number of call options outstanding in game Stop, that's just a fraction of its peak three years ago. And in the pre market AMC down twelve percent. Game Stop is down sixteen percent. John Tuncker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, John, thanks, and it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, good Morning, Good morning.
Speaker 10: Karen Slovaki Is populist Prime Minister Robert Fico was shot multiple times and severely wounded after a political event and hand LoVa. After the attempted assassination, doctors fought for his life for several hours on the fifty nine year old pro Russian Slovaki Is Defense Minister Robert Kellanak says that there's no doubt that this was a politically politically motivated situation behind the shooting.
Speaker 11: We're just talking about the level of them, Chrissy, both capability to understand each other, to accept the other opinion, and not only one is that good one.
Speaker 10: The deputy Prime Minister said he believes Fico will survive. The Supreme Court has ordered Louisiana to hold this year's election using a House map that includes a second, mostly black district. The ruling puts on hold a lower courts ruling that found the map to be illegal gerrymandering. Loyola Law professor and former federal prosecutor Lorie Levinson, this.
Speaker 12: Is a much disputed ruling because, in fact down below there are questions about whether race should be used in redistricting and whether in the long run, this might protect some Republican districts. As it is set forth now, many people see this as a victory for Democrats, who will be able to likely pick up another seat in Louisiana.
Speaker 10: Former federal prosecutor Lorie Levinson says the justices were acting on emergency appeals by state Republican officials and black voters. Texas officials say a barge hit a bridge in Galveston, Texas, spilling fuel oil into the water and shutting down the only road connecting Galveston and Pelican Island. Galveston County Judge Mark Henry.
Speaker 2: The fuel oil seeping into the Inner Coastal Waterway calls him to shut down the Inner Coastal Waterway, so we want to get that cleaned up and get that navigable watering back open as quick as can.
Speaker 10: Last year, the Federal Highway Administration's National Bridge Inventory rated the Pelican Island Causeway Bridge poor. The Biden Administration is initiating policies that it says will help foster a deeper domestic supply chain for a solar panel. It comes after please from the US manufacturers confronting a surge of terror free imports. The measures announced early today include expanding tariffs, tax policy guidance, and promises of heightened vigilance for signs of unfair trade. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael Barr, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Scores update with John Stashauer and John Good morning.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Karen. Safe to say the slow start to Aaron Judges season is over. Last two weeks, He's raised his average seventy seven points. In Minnesota. Judge had three doubles after a first inning homer that traveled four hundred and sixty seven feet. Yankees bind Marcus Stroman made a ten of the last thirteen that shut out the Twins four to nothing. The Mets have lost five and six, all three so far this week with the Phillies, who are in MLB Best thirty one and thirteen. The Phils one ten to five. Rangers Suarez is now eight to zero. Red Sox and Nationals lost. Giants beat the Dodgers Orioles one on an Natlie Rutchman walk off homer. Celtics are in the NBA's East Finals for the third straight year. The under man Cleveland cas again without three top players, including Donovan Mitchell, gave Boston trouble before falling one thirteen ninety eight, and the Celts win the series four to one. Dallas goes up three to two with a one oh four ninety two win at Oklahoma City. Dallas Stars lost at home to Colorado five to three. Stars still lead three to two and the Rangers still lead three to two, but a loss tonight at Carolina means the series they once led three to nothing, It's going back to the Garden for a game seven. NFL schedule is out. Giants will open up with a home game against Minnesota. They're going to Munich November tenth to play Carolina, and the Jets are going to London October sixth to face Jacksonville. Three favorites for the PGA Championship that begins today in Louisville, world number one Scotti Scheffler, who's red hot, Brooks Koepka, who last year won the PGA for the third time, and Rory McElroy, his last major championship was at Valhalla a decade ago.
Speaker 14: I think this is a golf course that allows you to play with freedom. It's a big golf course. The carridors are wide, not too dissimilar to last week at quil Hollow, so you can open your shoulders up a little bit off the tee and then you know, try to take your chances from there.
Speaker 13: Rory won that tournament last Sunday, and Charlotte also won the team event the week before. Bloomberg Radio live PGA coverage today starting at four John Stash. They were Bloomberg Sports can here get Nathan.
Speaker 10: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Sirius XM and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Wall Street heads into this Thursday with stocks in record territory once again, with the S and P five hundred now above the fifty three hundred level for the first time. Cooler than expected April inflation data are firming up a lot of bets that the Fed could start cutting interest rates maybe late in the next quarter. It's bringing Sema Shaw for some market analysis now. Seema's the chief global strategist at Principal Asset Management. Seema, good morning. Are you changing your stock out look after what we saw in CPI?
Speaker 15: Good morning. No. We have been risk on since January. We've maintained that even if you had a bit of a pullback in April, and the reason is that although the market has been pushing back, pushing out the expectations for rate cuts, I think the fundamentals, even if you were not to get rate cuts this year, the fundamentals for the economy are still so strong and that certainly implies that AND's growth is going to remain pretty solid and that should continue to mean that stocks are going to be boosted through the rest of Yes. It didn't really change anything for us.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder how you interpret this inflation data. Is it the start of a new trend, is it more of a bump in the road.
Speaker 13: What do you think?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 15: I think it's difficult at this point to make any kind of conclusions from single data points. I mean, what we're looking at is as we look through the remainder of twenty twenty four and into twenty five, we do expect to see a down shift in economic growth. But that's important though. I'm using them a downshift because we are not expecting recession. I wouldn't even really put it as much of a low down. It's just where you're seeing growth revert back to trent and if that's correct, then really you should see inflation pressures trend somewhat lower. We're not expecting the return to the two percent level, but we do think there'll be sufficient comfort for the Fed to convince them to start cutting rate late in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Late in twenty twenty four, the market starting to price in September. Is that kind of where you are?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 15: So, actually, after the April sort of the previous CPI pro we came into the year. I should say expecting three cuts, one in June, September, and then December. And then after the run of three Hottan expected inflation numbers, we did shift the forecast to one cut in September and one in December. I didn't have much conviction, to be honest, about four or five weeks ago in that forecast. But as the data has been coming through, not just of course yesterday's data, but the payrolls data, retail sales, consumer confidence, I have got a bit more conviction that September is going to be the start day.
Speaker 2: So you don't have any concern then that the stocks might be overvalued at the levels that they're at right now. Where do you see valuations at this point?
Speaker 15: I mean it depends how you're looking. So if you look across the world, then yes, US valuations are definitely the most stretched. But we are still expecting decent earnings growth. Now, are we going to see this kind of run that we saw in the first two months of the year. Probably not. We do think that EXITIS can probably eke out another five or ten percent rally from here, but that's pretty solid and it should mean that as long as it's supported by continued earnings group against that economic backdrop that we have in our forecast, that should mean that valuations can still be supported. And it's remember for it's important for investors to remember that valuations they give you a direction for long term directions in the market, but it doesn't really necessarily change the short term aspects. So as long as you've got solid earnings grope, as long as you've got earnings what you are doing well, the market can continue to perform pretty well.
Speaker 2: Can earnings continue to do well even in a kind of a slowing earnings growth pattern if we continue to see a slow down in consumers.
Speaker 15: So consumer spending has been extraordinarily strong over the last couple of years, and you are starting to see some strains emerging. That's mainly in the lower income consumer side. So we do think that you're going to see at growth remaining positive. You could see a bit of a slow down, I guess, But that means I mean guess that relates directly to the idea that you're not going to see the exty market gains of twenty twenty three or spending of January and February. This is going to be a more modest one, but something which is a little bit more sustainable, to be honest, for the action market, only.
Speaker 2: About thirty seconds left. Where is your best opportunity right now?
Speaker 15: So look, there's a couple, but I think within exuity, we still think that the US is looking decent. We continue to light the large cap space, but actually more and more so, international equities are looking good. We look across to Europe and the UK at least for six months period with rake cups on the horizon quite clearly, and so economic upside surprises translating through to earning surprises. I think there's actually opportunities over there now as well.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six' one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in.
Speaker 1: San Francisco, our flagship New York station, is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, seriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak