Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. So, Kelly, you know how I told you that our producer Amy, she is from the town where our TV movie was based on, the one we did no research on, but she has a lot of insights, so I wanted her to come on today to kind of give us the real deal on how it went down.
Speaker 2: So I will tell you guys a lot of things. But when you made this movie, did you know it was it's very loosely based, right, but it's that it was based on a real.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, absolutely, I knew I was playing someone who killed someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Very mindful of that in my portrayal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then what's so wild is that you came back and did it many years later.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but they wanted me to play like a mom or or something, and I was like, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I want to be in You're the cop, right yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And actually it was a it was written as a man, a male FBI Asian.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I want to play I want to play that person. So anyway, so.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you so and ask me anything. So there are a couple of things. One is I won't say the real names either, because out of respect, they never wanted the real names out there, and yes they are out there. What's interesting is, even though I was nine or ten when this happened, I could tell you every real name, like like it was yesterday, Like the real names are burned in my mind. And so basically this happened in about nineteen eighty four, I think, So you guys didn't do your movie until ten years later. Was the movie in ninety four? I think I was nine or ten.
Speaker 4: So okay, I actually, weirdly, the first thing that popped into my head is were they really Catholic? Like very like religious? Was that an aspect of it?
Speaker 2: That was not something that I remember?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I don't know where that part came from, either from your character or Tory's character. Here's what I remember. I remember it happening. So basically I won't say the town name, but my growing up so I had two houses. My growing up house. My first house. If you walked down the lane, turned right at the yield sign and probably walked seven more minutes, that was their house. So that was that was their house. And I told my mom I was doing this, and you could just see her like I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Wow wow wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then so we live in a very so it's a town where I still live. So I split my time between this town and LA so I'm still in the town. And this was in nineteen eighty four ish. I don't have the exact dates. And I was about nine or ten, and I can remember a few things. I can remember immediately the green Pinto. We were told and I don't know if my parents told me, if this was on the news. How I have such a clear memory. And again, forgive me, because I'm giving my memories, and some of it's a little bit like do I remember it, or do I remember reading it, or do I remember hearing it. It's like blurry. We were to look for this green pinto because the green Pinto was spotted by the neighbor right night. Somebody was wrongly accused. I can remember that too. That stands out in my mind. And that poor person, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sure in their lives, was that in the movie with someone I don't know.
Speaker 2: There have like chills.
Speaker 3: It gives me like there was one Yeah, there was one girl who's like the weird girl with black hair. She wore black she was she was one of the suspects in the movie that we did, Tori.
Speaker 4: But I also really want to know. Was there a knife randomly in the car?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is the other thing I remember.
Speaker 1: And the cutting board in cucumber.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so that part was so this is what I remember of it that And it wasn't until like preparing to talk to you guys that I had this like revelation about it. But we remember hearing their a knife. She had a knife in the car to cut vegetables, and I thought, at ten years old, even I remember being like, well, that is just so strange, right, why would who's cutting vegetables. It wasn't until days ago when I was sort of just talking to my mom about it to refresh my memory, that is how it was not premeditated. So basically because they had this reason. And again this is just us talking. I'm not privy to all the details of the case. This is just my memory. So I remember hearing she had the knife in the car to cut vegetables. Now being who I am, Now, I'm like, oh, now I get it. It wasn't premeditated because the knife was in the car. Had they not had this vegetable thing true or not, I have no idea. M hm, then it would have been she would have actually taken the knife from her home, and that would be premeditated.
Speaker 1: Meaning she so she did think I feel like from watching the movie correcty, so it was your character. But it wasn't like she planned to kill her.
Speaker 2: No, she didn't see That's what we that hence the knife in the car for the vegetables. Now, people have many arguments on that. You could argue that the vegetable story was hullabaloo. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: She brought the knife in the car with vegetables to say, like, hey, if someone says something right, or because it appears that she just snapped and did it.
Speaker 2: That was how we always heard it. So my parents were I have another memory. My parents definitely went to the funeral for Tory's character. Again I won't say the names, but and I can remember this. I remember sitting on our yellow couch like at ten years old with my dad that night. It almost makes me want to like it's the memories of my parents, And I remember my dad saying, I've never been to anything that sad in my entire life, and so as a kid, I remember being like, not totally knowing what was happening, but that my parents were so distraught, and my dad saying, and then I have this memory, and again I don't know if it's accurate, but I can remember my dad saying, they played the song at the funeral memory, and I don't know if it was the barber Streis say memories like the corner you know, or the one like there's another memory. There's two songs that are similar. Yeah, there's the one that's like from Cats, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know which one it is. But anytime I hear that song, I turn it, I get like, I don't like it. I don't want to hear that song and I and it's both because I at the time I didn't know which my dad was talking about. I can remember that. I can remember the neighbors, like there was two different neighbors involved, and my mom like, this was so close to my growing up house we had moved and the sority part is real too, So yeah, so it was a different name. And so that was at this this high school, and I end up going to the high school right now to this high school, the other public high school, and we had the same sorority. I won't say the name again, but it was like the Malories or whatever, like we were in this sorority, and so that part was real. I don't know I would be I would bet these don't exist anymore, but they existed. I went to school high school six years later and they still existed then.
Speaker 3: So when within respect to the knife, I remember when we were filming, actually, I think I remember reading the script thinking, what, like, no way, Like she wouldn't have she wouldn't be cutting cucumbers in the car.
Speaker 4: That's just crazy.
Speaker 3: So I remember kind of setting that aside as we filmed and being like, oh, I guess this is what we're doing.
Speaker 4: But that seemed really crazy to me.
Speaker 3: And I love how we planted, like it's planted earlier in the movie that the sister really likes to eat vegetables, right.
Speaker 4: It's really weird.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those really strange things that stand out. But I think they had to figure out.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, they could catch this vegetable thing happening. Yeah, that felt weird back then. It was like huh, even at ten years old, I'm like, what, And I remember we still talked about it as teenagers. And I can remember also, and again some of it's from my memories when your character was released, And I will remember playing as day one of my friends at the yogurt shop saying she came into the yogurt shop. Now did she really come into the yogurt shop? I don't know, but I can remember this friend, we'll call her Christy, saying so and so came into the yogurt shop. She's out, like it was like, huh, could it have been someone that looked like her? Of course, Well, I don't know why you would go back to the town.
Speaker 4: I know, is that kind of the last sighting? Like, is the last? Is that the last thing you know about after she's been released.
Speaker 2: What we always heard was she changed her name and went off and her life. And I think people do sometimes publicly say that the hurt that person's new name, and sometimes people say the name of the family and they moved away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would imagine it's all kind of blurry.
Speaker 2: But man, do I remember that we were all looking for that car, that green Pinto, And again I know it was a Pinto. And my memory is that it was green, and I remember there's a Pinto, mom, and like my mom being like that, you know, like being very terrified, like there's a Pinto and first of all, Pinto's like yeah, so they don't even make those anymore, and it's like so it burned in my brain. I don't even know, like Tori, if you'd know what a Pinto.
Speaker 5: Was, beans, I like print to beans. I do.
Speaker 3: My friend has an old Pinto actually, so I totally know what it is. But in the movie, in the movie, it's a Nova.
Speaker 5: Ava's the Chevy Nova.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the car was very significant.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So like that's what's so interesting is I'm trying to because I remember the movie right because I was in college at that point and Tory you were like huge on nine O two one oho, so it was like, oh, Tory Spelling's got this big movie. I don't remember if I put two and two together immediately, like this is the thing that happened in my town, or if that came later. I know I figured it out later when because I've told Toy before and I've heard sometimes it comes up like there was a just Investigates one of those TV things about it and there was a you know, my favorite murder. They've talked about it on that podcast. I'm sure it's so upsetting to so many people. Yeah, like yeah, and I don't, I don't know. Like so when you guys did the movie and then it was this huge, massive hit movie What Tory Do?
Speaker 4: Was it on an NBC.
Speaker 1: It was on NBC and Monday Night football at the time was on E we see your CBS, EBCC, EBC, and our movie was the first TV movie that took the top spot like away ratings wise from football. It's like two girls in a high school movie.
Speaker 2: The highest rated movie of the year.
Speaker 1: And it started the whole revolution of you know, casting like iconic like TV actresses in making TV movies because they draw the viewers away from football.
Speaker 2: Yes, when you did the second one, then I was older, right, so because that was maybe eight years ago, was second? Yeah, that was second one.
Speaker 4: That was pretty recent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay that I definitely remember being like, oh, while they're making another movie about it. So that time it was very clear to me, like this is based on what happened. And again it's loosely based because I don't I don't know that anyone involved, No necessarily wanted it. It wasn't like one of those where they were involved in.
Speaker 3: It, right, right, And when there's a court case, everything becomes like aired out in the public and when their articles.
Speaker 4: Actually the movie's based on an article.
Speaker 2: So it's that Rolling Stone article. Maybe there was a big Rolling Stone article about it, and some people that's very controversial article because I think some people were like, the article is accurate, and some people felt like it was not conveyed the way they were stereotypically conveyed. I do not think is who they were in any way, right, That's just my memory of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, they weren't like super Italian Catholic.
Speaker 2: I can't remember that part or like that. Your character was sort of this type of person and Tory's character was this type of person. I'm not sure that they were. Actually, you know.
Speaker 4: Did you like my wardrobe in the movie?
Speaker 5: It was hot? The color palette was like yummy.
Speaker 2: Did you have reservations Kelly about playing Yeah, that person I did.
Speaker 3: I did, absolutely, And that is why I portrayed her with such a delicate brush, like I really wanted her to be.
Speaker 4: I wanted you to have compassion for her.
Speaker 3: I wanted you to like feel like it came from somewhere very fragile and awful within her was a crime of passion, and that she didn't mean to do it, and that.
Speaker 4: She felt horrible regret afterwards.
Speaker 3: I mean that was all like I was all in on that because I didn't tray her as any kind of stereotypic killer like whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Wow, that must have been hard because you guys were young, like you were teenagers, right, I was, Oh, my god, Toy, do you remember like, and I know you guys probably talked about this before, but do you remember like going, where did this story come from? Who am I playing?
Speaker 5: I was just really excited.
Speaker 1: It was the first TV movie I was offered, like I didn't have to audition for.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh, it was the.
Speaker 1: Whin And I was like reading through it and then I read it in one night and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, Oh, it's really good.
Speaker 1: I don't know if at that moment I knew it was based on a true story, true events.
Speaker 2: Seems so impossible to believe it's true, Like it seems very lifetime movie of the week, like you know, made.
Speaker 3: Up from the headlines, you know, especially the knife in the Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just sight because all I played up until then was like Donna Martin, the good girl, and here I was playing a bad girl.
Speaker 5: So that was like, oh, that's a challenge for me. So I was excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure some of that is actually.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 4: I think that's crazy that you grew up in.
Speaker 2: That and it's a very small town, like a very small town. I'm still in the small town, Like this doesn't happen, and it was such a bizarre story, and then that it took so long, and I remember like people were definitely like looking for that car and trying to figure this out, and then she was not. This is so I don't know why this is my memory, and I don't want to be crassing it. Like I remember being like, she's going to Juvie. Do you guys remember when we were teenagers, like everyone would talk about Juvie. Yeah, Like it wasn't like you're like juvenile Hall, It wasn't like you went like I don't think she was tried in as an adult, Like none of that wasn't. Yeah, it's like she was not whatever wherever you go for very long maybe seven eight ninety years, not very long in years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was seven.
Speaker 5: Where is she now?
Speaker 2: Nobody knows, Like nobody really knows.
Speaker 4: She's changed her name and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was amazing, crazy movie to be a part of, for sure, and I like, I watched it last night and I found it intriguing even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very intriguing story. You really kind of do a deep dive into it, like you can really kind of get what happened, what really happened. And I don't know that anybody really knows. Everything is so sad.
Speaker 4: Did they tear the house down that where it happened.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's been forty years, so I'm sure, yes it's been because it was eighty it was eighty four when it happened, and we're in twenty. I was ten, I'm fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's your assignment.
Speaker 4: You have to let us know.
Speaker 2: If I will, I'll find out more. And now most people that live here now don't totally remember, because you really would have had to grown up here, not like that people just moved to the town. But there's a lot of people. I mean some of the neighbors are still the same neighbors we had, like down around the corner. I know one woman has been there. They had a snake when we were growing up, so we'd go to their house and look at their snake. And she still lives there. She lived there then and.
Speaker 3: Lives the Wow, that is crazy that a bunch of.
Speaker 2: The neighbors still live there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have an idea, Kelly, what if we since we've in our history done so many TV movies, what if we went back and found out like the real events and what happened with each of them, the true story? Did a podcast from there?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I would be so good.
Speaker 1: Like true crime. But we were the actresses in the movie.
Speaker 4: That's very medatory.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, I like that. Yeah, you like that.
Speaker 2: You have to know more. I mean it's weird because I'm so conflicted, right because if you told me about this in another town, I'd be like, yes, I know, there's sensativity in our town about it. So but yeah, I mean I want to. I mean it definitely made me kind of like, go, I need to remember this and see more.
Speaker 4: Well, because it is interesting.
Speaker 3: It's like all these years later, how do people remember it? What?
Speaker 4: What have they done differently in their lives or what did they do differently with their children?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was so tragic. It was so tragic. I can remember that and I still I can just remember my parents like that being the first time where you're just like, my parents are so sad.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and you never forget that.
Speaker 3: I remember, like, I think I've seen my dad cry twice in my life and I remember both times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's a bit like I'm sure this traumatized everybody, and you just feel so terrible for their family and the neighbors, the neighbors because there was the neighbor that drove Tory's character back, and then there was the neighbor whose house. I mean, it's just like devastated. That is well, it's so interesting that you guys went starred in this movie that became so big and yeah, people can go back.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to end it because it's so terrible, but great to see Kelly.
Speaker 4: A nice nice Thank you for all these details.
Speaker 3: I'm fascinated by them, and Toy we can discuss further when you come over for our power meeting at the Barn.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, yeah, we're going to have a power pig meeting and discuss. We have many things to discuss because we have a lot of ideas here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it all. I love it. Kelly, You're the coolest, by the way. It's so it's so fun to have you on.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you. It's my absolute pleasure.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's the real deal.
Speaker 3: To be perfectly frank the podcast decide, I was just happy to sit down with Tory and like really, like, it's just.
Speaker 2: I love it because you guys have been friends since How old are we when needed Troop Beverly Hills.
Speaker 4: I was eleven, so long time ago.
Speaker 2: When you met. That was when you met for the first week.
Speaker 4: Then I think, I don't think we had nothing, and.
Speaker 1: Then our lives just keep coming back around. And then we ended up living in the same community and that's how we would see each other and keep up. And we both had pigs, and so when we rebonded over that, it's just our lives keep coming full circle. So we're meant to be any each other's lives.
Speaker 4: You're meant to be in each other's lives. That's that's the that's the takeaway.
Speaker 2: Well, and Kelly, you've had such an amazing career as well, So thank you.
Speaker 3: Nice to see you well, thank you for thank you for having me on and this was an absolute pleasure. And Torri please text me I am around.
Speaker 1: We'll text you, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, Kelly, Bye
Speaker 1: Guys, bye, Thank you,