Speaker 1: My parents took me to see the Bonnie and Clyde death car when I was eight years old. The man that owned it let me sit in it. Now, of course, was not a criminologist at that time, but I was, I thought a Bonnie and Clyde expert. And what I realized in that moment when he let me sit in that car, there was nowhere I could move. There wasn't bullet holes. There was one hundred and sixty bullet holes in that car, and as small as I was at the time, I couldn't hide from any of them.
Speaker 2: So that told me the magnitude of what.
Speaker 1: Happened at that sine, the importance of that event taught me You've got to go to the sink. You've got to go to the source, you've got to walk it, you've got to understand it. And I never forgot that even years later when I wanted to learn more about the FBI, I wanted to go to Washington, d C. To the FBI building and take the tour. I wanted to see it myself. I will tell you, as a cold case investigator, you cannot overstate the importance of going to the scene and understanding it.
Speaker 2: With the Bonnie and Clyde vehicle.
Speaker 1: There were three or four fake Bonnie and Clyde cars, people that actually took similar vehicles and shot them up so that they could make money with these cars. Ted Hinton put a stop to that because he at the time in nineteen thirty four marked that car in a place only he knew, in a way that only he knew, so that when it literally went to trial, he was able to pinpoint which vehicle was the authentic Bonnie and Clyde death car. Fifty miles east of it. On a small farm, jealousy brewed as hot as the Georgia sun. On July fourteenth, nineteen forty six, a sharecropper named Roger Malcolm was accused of stabbing a farmer named Barnett Hester with an ice pick. Mister Malcolm tried to run, but was captured by the Hester family and held until sheriff deputies could arrive. About six point thirty. Mister Malcolm went to jail that night. His wife was fearful that a mob would storm the jail and kill him, so she begged her boss. Lloyd Harrison, who owned the farm, was one of the largest land owners in Monroe County, to please go bail him out so they wouldn't kill him, and Lloyd Harrison said no. Two days later, a mob met about three miles south out on Highway one at Toller's Woods. Now there's no documentation of what that meeting was about, but I've always believed they met to plan the murder of mister Malcolm. Miss Malcolm asked Lloy Harrison repeatedly for the next eleven days to please go bail him out.
Speaker 2: To save his life. He refused.
Speaker 1: Then suddenly, on July twenty fifth, he told Miss Malcolm go get the Dorsey's and let's go to town and get Roger out of jail. Now Roger's bell was six hundred dollars today, that's about ten thousand dollars. Eleven days after the stabbing, Roger was a free man, and he and his wife, Dorothy, and George and May Murray went and got into Lloy Harrison's car and headed back to his farm. Mister Harrison did not go back on the paved road as the crow flies to his far He took the unpaved long way home. As he approached the small moors Ford Bridge, there was a mob waiting twenty to twenty five men were on that bridge and blocked him in the front and in the back in his car came to a complete stop. The men demanded that Roger get out of the car. There was a man in a three piece suit with a big brim hat that approached the car unmasked with a firearm, and he ordered mister Malcolm out of the car, and then he ordered mister Dorsey out of the car. Miss Dorsey recognized several of the men. She begged them by the name not to kill her husband. All four victims were tied together, and the man in the suit ordered everyone to shoot at the count of three. He repeated this instruction numerous times, ensuring that every single man on that bridge shot, so that everyone was guilty of murder, so that no one would break ranks and talk. Lloyd Harrison was unharmed and was able to go on his way. He told law enforce men he didn't recognize anybody on the bridge. Now he's the wealthiest landowner in this county, and he didn't recognize one man out of twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yet his young female.
Speaker 1: Worker knew several by name. I saw some similarities in these two cases. Now one was nineteen thirty four and the other case was nineteen forty six. And what I found striking was both cases started in a car. Someone in each of the cars was accused of killing or attempting to kill somebody.
Speaker 2: The shooters were laying in wait.
Speaker 1: On both cases, all shooters shot multiple times into the subjects. Crowds gathered at both scenes and took mementos from the scenes. Dead bodies had their pictures put in the paper. More than one person was shot at both scenes. Different weapons were used in both of these scenes. Subjects were unaware that there was a mob laying in wait. Clyde Barrow tried to join the Navy, and George Dorsey was in the service.
Speaker 2: He was in the Army.
Speaker 1: In both cases, women were also shot and killed, which was extraordinarily rare. Both cases, the subjects had just gotten something to eat, and in both cases they were set up to stop at a location where they were killed. Y'all, let's get into this case and let's talk about it from somebody that's been to the scene. And tonight I have the absolute honor to welcome Janie Duncan. Janis is a clinical therapist. She's a behavioral consultant and in her free time she has decided to be a doctoral candidate. She's a college she's a college professor. She is a former coworker of mine. She is my dear friend, and she is one of the most gifted investigative minds I've ever worked with. So Jannis Duncan, welcome to z Own seven. Hey, And I will tell you she's got a fabulous sense of humor, which when you work the type of cases that we do, it certainly is a gift.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you I.
Speaker 1: Will tell you all that this case in particular, we had some good nights up in the war room. So Janie, I think it's important when we're talking about this case, I want to go ahead and tell the folks it's the Moor's Ford Bridge Lyncheon. It's the last mass lyncheon in the United States. And when we started the Cold Case Investigative Research Institute, Janis Duncan was one of those people that would come in early, stay late, come during a holiday weekend to make sure the students got all they needed in order to take these cases to the level that we needed them to get to to try to find some answers and solvability factors. Janice, Let's talk a little bit about back in the day on this case, in particular when we would be in the war room, sometimes past midnight, meeting with representatives and senators and political figures and religious figures, trying to navigate this case. When we first got into it, my memory is you and I were just having a blast that we were learning so much, and we were meeting some incredible people, and the students were just on fire with this back.
Speaker 3: They were I remember mostly first of all the human from our students, which was also very helpful. Yes, they were also very dedicated to their studies too, they.
Speaker 4: Wanted to learn.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we always remember trying to do with the students was to quote unquote give them hands on experience as best as we could without actually taking them out on an active crime scene. So you were always really instrumental in assisting us in recreating crime scenes. But I think that when we actually visited this scene, I don't know that we actually recognized it initially because by the end of it, after all those hours we were out there, I know you remember how emotional it actually got, particularly for me, And how do you go from laughing and joking to crying and shaking with anxiety. So I think that it's an experience that I'll never forget. It has always stayed with me, and I think that the students could also. Those former students can tell you that that was a defining moment in their educational careers.
Speaker 1: The education that we were given was so real and so raw because you had gone to a university. I don't even know how to properly say it. That the historical value that you were given as a young person, I don't think can be overstated. When you think of the Duskegee Airman, I mean, there's nobody that shouldn't stop dead in their tracks and understand what you're talking about. Right, So you had that at your university. You had the Lynching Museum, and I think a lot of people I didn't even know that exists. But that's one of the places that we tapped into while working this case.
Speaker 3: And I don't think I've ever shared this with you, but when I was actually a student there, well, you know how it was on one of those spirited nights that we were out laid, probably just come from a party, you know, had been drinking kool aid all night or something, and we actually ended up on the other side of campus, some friends of mine. It was completely on the opposite side of where our dormitories were.
Speaker 4: But anyway, we ended up over there. And this is long.
Speaker 3: Before like now, the campus is completely different almost as far as the renovations and the things they built. But we actually were able to see the inside of one of the areas where they actually kept these men that they experimented on, and everything was almost still intact. Now, of course it was dirty, it was dusty, but the beds were still there. You really couldn't see the bloodstains, but it was you could see remnants of where something was there. So, needless to say at that time, because that was back in the nineties, we got the hell out of there, but it was just unreal that it was actually still there intact the way that it was and they had never done anything with it at that point.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of history that you were witnessed to, right, I mean, that's remarkable, And I know our students there was a night up.
Speaker 2: In the war room and they.
Speaker 1: Had all the you know, maps on the wall, and they had the photographs and statements and all that sort of thing, and they.
Speaker 2: Were there was a group. Tammy was involved, Bates was involved.
Speaker 1: They were that group, and they were talking behind me, and you were sitting to my right and Don Bela was sitting to my left, and the students were just going back and forth about what can we do. It's been you know, seventy years, and can anything be done? And I just offhand said, well, bullets don't disintegrate. And then I remember we looked at each other and we're like, bullets don't disintegrate, right, let's go get them exactly so, and I remember at that point, you know, Dawn was like, well, you're gonna need a warrant. You know, always a lawyer, always.
Speaker 2: A downer, So stay down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're like, we can get over that fence, are you kidding? But it was important because that night changed everything as far as what the Institute was absolutely going to be about. We were no longer going to be theory based. We were going to be action oriented and if we can go locate some evidence, then let's do it.
Speaker 2: For this case.
Speaker 1: The last mass lynching, Moore's Ford Bridge, you had at least twenty to twenty five people shooting a multitude of different weapons from handguns to long gun you know, rifles and shotguns, and this just barrage of gunfire that rang out and it ran right along the Appalachi River. There was one witness, remember that, Jennie, I do. So there was a little boy, y'all that was hiding in the field. He had been playing and he saw all the cars and he identified one car and said it was tan with you know, the red dome light on the top. It was a sheriff's vehicle and they thought from South Carolina. He kind of pinpointed exactly where this took place. And for us, again we say, well, let's go, let's go do what we do. We made the students understand the times. So when you work a cold case, one of the most important things is you have to understand nineteen forty six exactly.
Speaker 2: So we spent a lot.
Speaker 1: Of time up there explaining what is a sharecropper, what is a house worth? How do people work their whole lives and their children work, their grandchildren work, and they're still on the same farm because they can't get off of it.
Speaker 3: And I think they had the hardest time understanding that because of where their mindset and the way the world was at that time, they couldn't even imagine it. That was an interesting part. So I think it was really important that we actually took that step to go out there because they couldn't visualize it at all. To them, I think at some point it was, oh, this is just this is just history, This is just these are just words, you know, this is just the way that this was actually written and explained. But being there and actually feeling that changed everything for them about this case.
Speaker 1: When we were getting ready to go literally from classroom to crime scene, and we talked about you know, the times, what is the sharecropper, the voting rights, you know, the different politicians and things. What was the turning point for you other than meeting with Johnny Leecley.
Speaker 3: When I started in this field was private probation, then I went to the parole office, then I went to house arrest.
Speaker 4: Then I went to private directions.
Speaker 3: So it's almost like a part of me was kind of like a student at the same time, because at the same time I couldn't imagine it either. You know, crime was different than the way that law enforcement responded to crime was different at that time. To actually hear from someone who was causing the pain. I think was the turning point for me. I was a little reluctant, but I was actually interested, Like is this guy really serious? Is he really going to talk to us about these things? I just couldn't imagine that.
Speaker 1: For those that work in our world, this is like Super Bowl Sunday. You're never going to have the Imperial Wizard of the klu Klutzklan talk to you. You're you're never going to have that person lay out a case and why this is clan connected or why it's not.
Speaker 2: And so we had the opportunity to do this and it was real cloak.
Speaker 1: And dagger, and you know, again, Janis and I worked at a college predominantly African American with an African American president, and you know when you buzz in his office real quick and go, hey, we got a speaker next week, We're going to meet with great love it. I like it when y'all have people here, gets the students, you know, connected to the real world and that sort of thing. And I'm like great, and he's like, who is it? The former Imperial Wizard of the plan. He's like, I think you need to have a seat, right, you got to talk about it a little bit, and then he understood and he got it, and then it was our job to now go tell the students because we couldn't take everybody. So we had picked who we thought was an eclectic group, a good group, a solid group. But I remember Bates looked right at me. Yeah, and she said, what do you mean, farmer? And I said, well, I have a good friend that's divorced but still has sex with her former husband. So I don't know what it means. I just know that that's how he introduced himself as the former.
Speaker 2: I said, but let's do this. Let's meet with him, see what he has to say.
Speaker 1: Because the reality is in this profession, when somebody calls the police, or you're assigned somebody during probation or parole, or you're working into jail, you don't get to decide who you work with. Absolutely, So you have got to be able to talk to anybody, you know, You've got to be able to get that information that you need to move this case in some way.
Speaker 2: So that's what we're going to try to do. And she was like, m but.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 4: I wasn't really sold either.
Speaker 3: Initially, I was a little and I think that's just because because.
Speaker 4: I am black, and because.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's just an emotional type of topic.
Speaker 4: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, of course we know that. You know, there are a lot of people that probably still have those types of beliefs, but they're not walking around in white sheets and hoods. But to actually, I don't think I ever thought I would actually be sitting that close to one and actually having that kind of dialogue. But once he got to talking, you know, I was sitting there giving him the side eye too quietly. But but once he got going, and you know, in the conversation, I could see how genuine he actually was.
Speaker 4: It just it poured out of him.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you it's one of the most remarkable meetings I've ever seen, I think because I think I watched Bates more than anybody in that meeting, because.
Speaker 2: She was angry, but she wanted to go.
Speaker 1: She wanted to do the you know, professional thing, as it were, and she thought he might seriously have some great intel, which is what we were all hoping. But this gentleman's name was Johnny Lee Clearing, and Johnny Lee agreed to meet with us. He had had some death threats since leaving the clan, so he said, I will only tell you the address where I'll meet y'all that morning, and we went and we met with him kind of cloak and dagger, you know, right, and you know, when he started to talk, I was I went right in, you know, let's talk about more sport.
Speaker 2: Was it a clan ordered hit? You know?
Speaker 1: And he went, well, I'll get there, but is it okay with you if I talked to.
Speaker 2: The students first, and I was like, of course.
Speaker 1: And he started explaining his childhood, and one of our students had a similar story where her parents she had lost both of them to violence. And he started to explain that his mom died of an overdose and his dad committed suicide in front of him. And I watched Lashan and she kind of looked at me, and she looked back at him, and I'm like, Okay, this might go differently than any of us ever expected. And as he kept telling that story, and then he told of more trauma that he suffered and more abuse that he suffered, his story started to resonate with some of our students that had young people in their family that went toward a gang for comfort and money and family type feelings. They got it, they understood that. Wait a minute, he's telling me a story that's got nothing to do with race and everything to do with how he felt and what he needed.
Speaker 2: And what he wasn't getting. And you know, you're looking at.
Speaker 1: Some of these young people going, ain't that your story exactly?
Speaker 3: And you know, the funny thing about that is that I think that's when I was getting my second masters in psychology, which is why I'm a therapist today.
Speaker 4: But that right there, I think.
Speaker 3: When I had I remember having a conversation with a few of the students after that, and I was trying to explain to them too, you have to start looking at things you need to know or kind of try to get an understanding of what caused him to actually behave that way and actually to have those beliefs. And so we started revisiting that conversation that he had about the violence and abusive you know, that childhood that he had, you know, the violence that he saw, the violenceated witness, and that kind of trauma can cause you to go any kind of way anyway, like you said, joining gangs or doing all these things just to find some type of comfort, or it may have been almost like a coping skill form, you know, some way to kind of manage those feelings, you know, or as an escape. Some people turn to drugs, some people do other things. So I think he was pretty troubled the fact that he was able to actually get to a place in his life where he was actually able to leave the clan and actually start telling his story I think it was actually therapeutic for him too.
Speaker 1: And as his story went on, he told about making a lot of money. He talked about how he actually got into the Klan, that all his life he was told he was worthless, wasn't going to ever amount anything, was just white trash. And suddenly there's a guy one saying white people are the greatest, that white people invented airplanes and automobiles and everything else worth anything. And it shocked him because he had never heard anybody brag about his race. And he wrote the man basically a fan letter, and he didn't think anything else about it.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: And then one day this limousine pulls up and this man gets out and says, are you Johnny Lee Cleary? And he says yes, and he said, well, if you come with me today, you'll have a job, you'll live in a mansion, you'll go to school, and you'll have brand new clothes. And if you ever had a steak dinner. And he said, no, sir, I've never had a steak dinner. And he said, well you'll have one tonight.
Speaker 3: And imagine how that silence to someone who had been through his experiences.
Speaker 1: This kid was living in a trailer with his teenage sister and her boyfriend that were not great to him. To the right was a group of African American kids and he didn't fit in and he got beat up a lot. So when this guy comes along and offers him literally the world, he got in that limousine quick as he could and he started doing little jobs, just like some of our kids in gangs.
Speaker 2: He was just making deliveries.
Speaker 1: He was just taking packages and you know, doing errands for these grown men. He didn't know what he was really doing, but he was making crazy money. Right when you were working in probation, you saw this repeatedly, didn't you.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Some of these folks that are running gags, I mean they're grooming children just like sexual predators do.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and they're not just lip service. They're giving you what they say they're going to give you. And now you've got a pocket full of money and your brand new clothes, you're eating steak. And it ain't long before you did school. And Johnny Lee clearly lived it. And then it was time to get promoted. So he had to start earning his keep, so to speak. And you know, that's when his life really got. As they say for the folks at home, what started to happen was you had some good people trying to vote, and he was going to put a stop to it. And he was going to use intimidation, he was going to use any means that he had at his disposal, little Jo, you know, stop black churches from promoting voter registration. So one of the first things he did was he decided, well, I'm gonna go over there and burn the church.
Speaker 2: And he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do you remember what happened The next morning He drove by to see his handiwork and they were singing in the ashes smoldering steel. They were standing and singing, and the preacher saw him drive by and waved to him.
Speaker 4: Come over.
Speaker 1: Johnny Lee was like, you got to be kidding me, Why is he waving at me? Why is he being nice to me?
Speaker 4: And see that moment could have been confusing for him.
Speaker 1: You should have been angry, you should have been afraid of me, you should be running. But they weren't. They were happy for all intentsive purposes, they were joyful. He did not understand it.
Speaker 3: I often wondered if he ever wanted to separate himself from that at some point prior to when he actually did, And was that like an internal battle that he had.
Speaker 1: I think possibly, because I think Reverend Watt spotted it. I mean he saw it in him. He saw that there was good in him. He saw that you don't have real hate for anybody.
Speaker 4: It's learned behavior.
Speaker 1: The first time we went out to the bridge, we're just walking, we're taking pictures. There's no activity, there's no reenactment, there's nothing. We just are visually looking at the bridge.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Little two lane road out in the middle of nothing, surrounded by woods and farms.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: But I remember looking at the bridge and right there on the railing was spray paint KKK.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like seriously, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like thinking, y'all ready to go to McDonald's.
Speaker 2: It was it was almost so ludicrous to me.
Speaker 3: So juvenile, but I was still looking for the keys.
Speaker 1: And I understand, but to me it was so juvenile and ridiculous. There was no fear in it for me because that was just almost so obvious that that's what you would spray paint.
Speaker 2: It was almost like you didn't even try.
Speaker 1: You know, this was something that you know, to me, was not part of the truth, that wasn't.
Speaker 2: Part of why we were even there.
Speaker 1: And I was not convinced that the Klan had anything to do with this lyncheon. I thought it was just the town's folk. I thought it was the Hester family and Lloyd Harrison and that group. Now, I want to be very very clear. That's not to say there weren't klansmen on the bridge exactly, but there were klansmen on the bridge the same that there were Methodists on the bridge. You just happen to be more than one thing. You can be a klansman and a Methodist and a doctor. You can be a klansman, an episcopagan and a lawyer. I mean, you can be all of these things at the same time. But it never felt to me that it was a clan orchestrated hit. And here's the thing about you. You and I, I would say, at times, our humor is beyond irreverent. We could get in trouble a lot, we could at work. It was funny. I wouldn't take any of it back. But I think that humor, again in this career, helped save you a little bit. It's is because I remember the night we went to the bridge. If you're living in it, and you're standing in these woods and y'all, there ain't no houses near, there's no street lights, there's no moon.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was dark, and all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden, out of nowhere, you see this truck coming down this little bitty two lane road, and you don't know what's going to happen. And you know that people know that you're there because there's nothing there. So when you stop at the only you know, gas station, and you stop at the only convenience store, and you stop at the only little tiny restaurant, they know you're there. And people sometimes come to see what you're doing. Sometimes they try to scare you off. But we weren't the group that was gonna be scared off.
Speaker 2: I tell you that, no and it.
Speaker 3: Was obvious they were trying to intimidate us because they literally they won't move it. And then all of a sudden they slowed down. Okay, it's miss Daisy, and now confused, why are you slowing down that much? And they literally their heads were literally turned and they were looking directly at us.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, directly at us. Well, you know again, when you.
Speaker 1: Have the last mass lynching, and that's how everybody calls it, that's what everybody understands it to be. And they know we've met with the ex Imperial Wizard of the Klan, and we've met with politicians and religious leaders. I mean, our students met some incredible people. We met some incredible people. For me, Moore's Ford Bridge it is a civil rights case. It is for me one of those cases that you just take with you and you say, you know what, when somebody says it's seventy years old, there ain't nothing you can do. I know they're wrong because we did a lot on this case. We did, you know, your area of expertise, and some of the other folks that we brought along, I believe anyway, put this case in a spotlight that it had never been in because we brought an our cheologists, we brought somebody from DNR that was an artifacts expert, we had a ballistics expert.
Speaker 2: We had you, we had me.
Speaker 1: I mean it was significant, and then we had prosecutors. And so when we set out to try to find some evidence, and we decided, well, there's only one way to get out there without a warrant, and that's just to get permission.
Speaker 2: And we did that.
Speaker 1: Ironically, it was a farmer and he's like, yeah, you can come out here and search it.
Speaker 2: And it's I think one.
Speaker 1: Of the greatest weekends that we've had as far as cold case investigative work.
Speaker 3: Of course, nobody ever expected to find anything. If you did, it might have been one little showcase and that may have been here.
Speaker 4: Had to dig for it.
Speaker 3: But the fact that they were literally sitting right there on top of the ground, like did somebody just come scattered these out here or what like? It was unbelievable. And I still can't believe they were, Like who actually walked that scene before the fashion investigate that scene? I know the times were different, but how do you leave all?
Speaker 4: How is that? How was it all?
Speaker 3: It almost seemed like it was still intact the entire crime scene. It was just still intact.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing we had to do was clear it.
Speaker 1: And you remember, I mean even Huck was chopping down trees and you and Caroline were moving mattresses and beer cans, and right all the students.
Speaker 2: Went to work.
Speaker 1: Our students did the labor of clearing the area. Then the Kinnesaw students were the archaeologist, and then Georgia State brought students that had ground penetrating radar right and so we were able to show that the bullets that were not on top of the ground and the shellcasings that weren't right on top were two inches underground, straight down.
Speaker 2: This wasn't a cartoon. Bullets don't come out of a gun, change direction and goes straight in the ground.
Speaker 1: So that to me, when you started putting flags in where every bullet, fragment or casing was found, it started to be a very clear picture center mass, center mass, center mass, center mass, where the four victims were laying. And it was very clear to me. We had our first bullet in forty five minutes, and after three days we had over one hundred bullets, fragments, casinges or artifacts. I mean, that's remarkable to me.
Speaker 4: It still amazes me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think in that moment, Gus, when everything kind of I don't even think we're even joking anymore. After that, nobody was smiling. It was just emotional.
Speaker 1: The very first one, we're all high five and we're all excited because it actually happened, and we're making phone calls. Member, we called the president, we called other experts that couldn't make it that day, and we were telling everybody because we were just jubilant. I mean, there was no way we had just done this. And then we found five, and then we found eleven, and then we found twenty seven, and then again after the weekend is over, we have over one hundred. And I think there were a couple of significant things for me. One was a button, One was a cardboard casing for shotgun shell, and one was a nickel literally from nineteen forty six. I mean, you can't.
Speaker 2: Argue with that.
Speaker 3: To me, you can't.
Speaker 1: And then you know that there was twenty people and they all had different weapons, and now we have at least twenty seven different weapons. It was a remarkable day, no.
Speaker 2: Question about it. And do you remember, I'll tell you when it changed for me.
Speaker 1: The family member from the Malcolms was there, do you remember, And we had that first bullet. It was a bullet, not a casing, and he came over and he said, can I hold it? And I said, of course, and I put it in his hand and he asked me, is there blood on it? And I could hardly answer him right because I thought, this precious man literally thinks his loved one's blood could be on this bullet that he is now holding, and wants to know that, even though conceptually he knew with all the rain and wind and dirt and all that there's not blood left on it. But for him, that's where his heart went, and it was almost too much.
Speaker 3: It was I think just if it had been I think he felt like that would have been something that he a part of, that person that he could have just held on to. I will say when we got back to campus the following week, we could see the change in them. I Mean, they were always always so serious about the importance of, you know, learning from us, but I think if the entire semester, I think that right there it was all they needed. They always talked about hands on experience, hands on experience, and I think they felt a taste of that because of everything we experienced that day, the overall impact that it had on those students.
Speaker 1: Oh, and me one hundred percent, and and my children, I mean, Huck and Caroline, you know. But for me, what I loved also is all the intimidation. We even got hate mail, which I called fan mail.
Speaker 2: Right, you weren't going to stop them.
Speaker 1: Not one person dropped out, not one person didn't want to go, not one person didn't show up. If anything, we turned around and had students from other programs we didn't even know, right, and then they had you know, such you know, great support from some very powerful people.
Speaker 2: It was good work. Jannis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I tell you something, I miss bart of days.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: I miss those days. To me, that's what.
Speaker 4: Education is about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, higher education is different depending on where you were, but we actually were making a difference.
Speaker 2: And you can tell it by the messages we get today from those students.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you our students that have gone into this field are some of the best out there. They are, and you put so much into them, and you're so proud of them, and they're doing extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Even when the dream Killer gave them one that they still came on back.
Speaker 2: They came back, They gave me the side.
Speaker 4: I ain't came on back.
Speaker 2: One more semester.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Get out of it this time. You know, I don't give me this time.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see it works, it works, Yeah, Janie, I can't thank you enough for being with me on scene. I can't thank you enough for working with me all those years. And I can't thank you enough for being with me tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh those are time of the best years, some of the best years and save it West Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: But I appreciate you so much. And I'm going to end Zone seven the way I.
Speaker 1: Always do with a quote from somebody from my Zone seven And this quote comes from Representative Tyrone Brooks, and Representative Brooks said to me and Janice Duncan and our students. Quote. This crime got the attention of a college student, you know, a morehouse man, a seventeen year old who took the time to write a letter to the Atlanta Constitution because he was mad about the immortality of this racism.
Speaker 2: And the letter clearly showed that.
Speaker 1: He had a passion for social justice.
Speaker 2: The letter was signed very simply.
Speaker 4: M. L.
Speaker 2: King Jr.
Speaker 1: So you college students here with Cheryl and Janice can do something.
Speaker 2: You have done something. I'm Cheryl McCollum and this is Zone.
Speaker 1: Seven attacks such pagan