Speaker 1: Miss Spelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hello, how are you good? Good?
Speaker 3: Thanks? I'm in Sweden actually visiting. This is extremely red room here that I'm in.
Speaker 2: I like the red room.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you and your wife there?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah? Vacation business, vacation mostly got a little business, but most of vacation visit. My daughter's uh one lives in Spain, in Greece with her boyfriend in Athens. We're going next week, and the other ones in Marbella.
Speaker 1: My goodness, how did like the legendary dude of all dude, like villain of all villain wind up with two daughters?
Speaker 2: Boys?
Speaker 3: You know what they call it? What fighter's curse? You ever heard of that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Fighter still lone. A few other friends of mine they have daughters. They get daughters. It's like nature's trying to balance your testosterone by taking your genes and carrying them on in a female version.
Speaker 2: You know. Huh? Is that fighter's curse or just karma?
Speaker 3: Fighter's curse? I think it may be karma. I mean, I'm glad to have daughters because it's much easier. I think it's more, more less complicated. I think between father's daughters. Father's sons can be can get complex they try to live up to something, especially if you're a you know, an action action start in a movie. Then you know, your son can can have a hard time maybe, But for daughters, it's just kind of pure, pure, more pure love.
Speaker 1: I think in the attraction, you know, are they daddy's girls? I think so you're all girls daddy's girls? Do you think everybody? Uh?
Speaker 3: I would hope. So. I mean, look, if you have a healthy relationship in your you can't exist our daddy's girls. But I mean, obviously you know that can be depending on the daddy or the kid, mostly the father. If you don't play your cards right, then you know you could end up having a major conflict there too.
Speaker 2: Do you just say, daddy one more time?
Speaker 3: Daddy?
Speaker 2: Oh that was hot? Anyway, I digressed.
Speaker 1: I'm such a fangirl, Like, oh my gosh, sorry, I'm like a little fangirling right now because like the young version of me, like in the eighties, I don't know, like like the Rocky movies. I just remember, it wasn't something I would be into, like you know, I like chick flicks and rom coms and whatever they were called. John Hughes movies back in the eighties, and I watched them because my dad was so into them, and I fell in love with them, Like I have seen every single one multiple times on my own and for a girl like I don't know, I would just cry and I'd have crushes and I'd be like championing everyone, and like I.
Speaker 2: Had a bit of a crush on you because you were blonde.
Speaker 1: I always died Mary a blonde boy because I wanted a blonde boys because I'm not naturally blonde, and I just want blonde kids.
Speaker 2: But it looks good, Oh my hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah it looks good.
Speaker 2: Thanks doll, appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, okay, Rocky movies' is, like I said, A stallone said, you don't have to know anything about boxing to enjoy movie because it's about life. It's about the challenge of life. And I think some people are more compelled by it because I think maybe they're more fighters in their own life. Maybe they have that attitude fighters attitude, and perhaps they're more they try to learn something from those films.
Speaker 1: You know, It's true. It just inspires you on any level. So, Mike, I have five kids. They're eighteen seventeen, thirteen, twelve, and eight and I have five kids.
Speaker 3: Well you look great for five kids. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks my bottom hat, but yeah, no thanks. It definitely keeps me on my toes.
Speaker 1: I have three boys, two girls, and it's so wild.
Speaker 2: They're all so.
Speaker 1: Unique and it's just it's such a fun journey. But I recently so I've been going back because my kids, you know, with TikTok and YouTube, everything that was our generation is now coming back in. You know, they see the memes and the clips and they and they are interested in our lives back then. What was you know, good you know, good movies and TV to us. But so my eight year old I just started him watching Rocky, not because of this interview, just in general, because I was like, oh my gosh, you would love this so much. And they still stand up.
Speaker 2: They really do.
Speaker 1: Like you know, my kids watch my show nine o two and oh and they're like, oh, it's grainy, something's wrong with the screen.
Speaker 2: Oh it's really slow.
Speaker 1: But you know Rocky, which is you know before nine o two and oh in the eighties, Like it stands up.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 3: Great. No, I think you're right. I think some some in the movie, especially Rocky for some reason, because it has the visual language was very, very kind of extreme, and lighting and the way it's cut together with the slow mo and the dissults and the free frames everything the way it was done, it kind of holds up pretty well, I think. And also I believe, you know, when I think back in my life, I was interested in movies that were made before I was born, too, Like what did I my dad what he used to watch? I used to be kind of fascinated by that, So, you know. At the same time, I'm sure your kids we're kind of interested in the time that you grew up when you were young, because it's that heritage, you know, And I think maybe that's part of it.
Speaker 2: Too, definitely, But they think I'm old.
Speaker 1: Like my eight year old asked me the other day, did they have Chucky cheeses back.
Speaker 2: In your day?
Speaker 3: Like rocket my day?
Speaker 1: I'm like yes, and he's like, really, so it's been around a really long time, like it's old.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, that's life, isn't it. How it'll all change, I mean, the perspective changes. Like I was even today, I was talking to somebody about the fact that you know, when I was a kid. I remember there was an anniversary for the end of World War Two. I think it was twenty five year anniversary. And that's like something that ended in two thousands now, so that's how close it was. Like two thousand doesn't seem that long ago. But when I was a kid, and I remember people were watching on TV and everybody were in Normandy and all that, and of course it was only twenty five years ago, it was like around the corner. But you know, for a kid, it seems like ages ago.
Speaker 1: It seems ages ago. I know there's that thing where it's like it all went so fast, but it all went so slow. It's like, really, I don't know, it's that thing. I think it's different for women than men aging, especially in the in the spotlight as actors.
Speaker 2: I mean, you look the same, like you don't age.
Speaker 3: Not really, but no, but I think, let.
Speaker 2: Me see them again. Wait, I just want to see them up close and personal. Oh, there they are.
Speaker 3: So do you.
Speaker 2: Ensure your biceps? What have you ensured your bic No?
Speaker 3: I didn't actually a good idea flunger and why, I'll think about it.
Speaker 2: I'll get on that.
Speaker 3: I intend to keep them where they are, But yeah, I think that for women with some women age really well, and uh, you know, it takes an effort. You probably know it takes effort and takes dedication to take care of yourself as you get older. I mean, a lot of people let themselves go. And if you don't, if you're a little more focused, then you can stay young as a man or a woman. You know, I'm just thinking of I did a movie called Aquaman and Nicole Kidman's in it, and you know, she looks you know, she always looks good on film, but when you see her in person, she looks great too, and she's like, you know, I mean, she's not as old as I am, bit close, so, you know, and I was impressed by the fact that she looked very fit, and she looked very very youthful, even the way she carries herself.
Speaker 2: You know, what's her secret?
Speaker 3: My secret?
Speaker 2: Not your secret, Nicole Kidman, her secrets? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not sure where her secret is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're like one of the smartest men alive. You must know.
Speaker 1: There's some engineering going on scientifically, Like what is it?
Speaker 3: Some of it's genetics, I think some of it is is training and diect and the other one is probably staying youthful in your mind. You know, if you're an actor, usually being creative, you work with younger people, you're you know, you're playful, you have fun, you enjoy the moment, and you don't get caught up in the past too much. So I think those things help, you know.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, I feel like she's a free spirit. She's Yeah, she's in everything every movie.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, it's crazy wild. When I worked with her on I Can on the On the sequel, she came. We did as we have to reshoot a scene and shot on the stage at Warner Brothers in La and I was tired. I've had some surgery on my ankles, so I came in on crutches. But you know, of course she can't just prop me up and shoot this part. But she had, she had done it. Came straight from somewhere Australia, I guess, and did a night shoot and had worked two nights in a row, and she came straight from shooting Knights onto this set. It's like, man, that's that's rough. You know. I wouldn't I would try to avoid that. If it was me, I wouldn't do it that way. But I guess she loves she loves working.
Speaker 2: You know, women are warriors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah were you.
Speaker 1: Were you a fan of the Rocky franchise before Rocky four?
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, I watched the First Rocky.
Speaker 2: I came over on you didn't sell that for real?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I came over here to America. Sorry, I'm Sweedena, but I came to America as an student when I was eighteen, and I went to watch Rocky the First Rocky in the theater. And this is right after that I ran hostage crisis. You remember, America was kind of not very patriotic. It was a kind of a low period in the country's self esteem, I would say after the Vietnam War ended, and that was in seventy five and ended. It was like a year or two later, and the movie came out, and that was in the theater and I still remember how people are cheering, and it was you know, the Rocky. The First Rocky was came out during the bicentennial celebrations right nineteen seventy six, I believe, so, you know, it was a big, kind of a big moment. I was a fan of that. Then Rocky three I watched when I was in Australia on a scholarship studying engineering. I was there and I was fighting karate championships and I listened to some of the Iva Tiger some of the music getting ready for my fight, and little did I know I was going to be in the next one. But you know, only three years later, So it was kind of.
Speaker 2: Bizarre that happened so wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know there it's like bittersweet, like because we want to talk about it because it's what made us made our careers. But sometimes it's like, do you feel like you ever get tired of talking about Rocky.
Speaker 2: Usually it's a load of question. I could have worded it better, you know.
Speaker 3: No, sometimes I get a little tired of it, but not really. I mean I appreciate the people, you know, being the adoration or the fanboys and girls and people you know liking my work and as that character. I yeah, I don't mind. I mean I think that, you know, I've done a lot of other things. Some people prefer the Masters of the Universe, or.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know you're he Man, like come on, he.
Speaker 3: Man, or if they're like Aquaman if they're younger people, they younger kids, they maybe seen Aquaman or some But I also believe that first time you come on screen, especially if you're unknown, and when people see you the first time, whether it's Stallone as Rocky or Arnold as Conan and people, it just kind of gets burnt into your consciousness as the moviegoer, because especially in those days, it was the big screen, and you know, you really believe that person's character existed, and it's it's hard to get over that. So I don't I understand why it's like that.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely, did you speak English when you first came to America.
Speaker 3: I spoke a little bit. I came to study engineering when I was eighteen. Then I went back to Sweden and I came back again, studied twice. I came back studied more engineering.
Speaker 2: And scholarship MIT right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was MIT towards the end. So I spoke English.
Speaker 2: But if you had gone that route, what if.
Speaker 3: I would have been I would have been a different life. I would have I don't know, shaking test tubes. I would probably been running an oil company or something. I had kind of ideas of doing the master's in Business administration and then running becoming a company corporate guy or a CEO or something. And I'm kind of doing it now in a roundabout way with this liquor company I have. But you know, I think I would have missed out. I don't think I would have been happy. I had a lot of traumas in my childhood, a lot of issues to deal with, and I think acting was a way for me to express that. And so much martial arts, but acting was the better way to do it.
Speaker 2: Wow, you in a suit?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, every day I can picture it.
Speaker 2: So was your first movie? View to a Kill?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love that movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You two favorite James Bond movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Roger Moore, Christopher walk and Grace Jones was in it and I was dating her at the time. And you know, I was there hanging out on set and some guy didn't show up for work and they kind of looked around to find the replacement for a guy to just play a bodyguard, and I look the part. So I got that role. I was in it for like twenty seconds with Grace and Chris. Chris walkin and I met him. He was very nice, very nice and interesting. You know, watched his acting and I'd started some acting at the time too, so I was watching him as he was preparing and and how he kind of would change his attitude, you know, from the rehearsal, and then he would totally do one eighty and all the other actors was shocked. I didn't know how to respond to me.
Speaker 2: Really, I've never heard that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah he did. He would. He never would the way I saw it, anyway, he wouldn't. He didn't really give much in the rehearsal and he didn't know what was going to happen. But you know, when the cameras came on, he would have all kinds of impulses and it was very interesting, like very very very explosive. You know, his acting is very unpredictable.
Speaker 2: You know that is so cool. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: You and Grace Jones were such an iconic couple. You were, and it's interesting when I think of the two of you, like I have a visual in my mind of the two of you and like a paparazzi and it's fashion. I think fashion, when when I think the two of you, is that weird?
Speaker 3: No, I think you're right. She was obviously always very fashionably dressed, and she helped me. You know, I met different designers and I would get stuff them like Brisa she would make me a jacket, or Kenzo would do something or you know, I wore a lot of Milano Blanic and hadman's shoes too in those days. I don't know if they did still do, but yeah, it was very fashionable. Plus we were always in a cool place at fifty four Area, and the photography in those days was also you know, even the paparazzis they had had talent and made of stuff looked really cool. Yeah right, you know, And yeah, so it has like a fashion sense to it. And I think the fact that she was dark and I was blonde, and there's like there's some kind of graphic kind of statement there that that also looks fashionable.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, imagine the two of you a couple present day. Your age is back then, but now out like paparazzi all over you guys.
Speaker 2: It would be in social media, social media. I mean, it'd be a whole different ballgame. It'd be wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, yeah, it would be. It was. It was unusual and even before I was in the movies, I you know, I was with her and we went to fifty four in these places and people did.
Speaker 2: Study of fifty four.
Speaker 3: My gosh, yeah, yeah, it was do you ever get a lime light? Oh yeah, I worked there. It was a dark yeah. Asia bouncer in the front there, and Charles Palmieri another actor he was, he was in the back. Yeah, this is it was that period. You know they say when I first came, I came to New York eighty to eighty three. So there was the period where it's right for age. So it's like they say, the period between what is it the invention of the pill and age? There is a period where you know, the nightlife was kind of wild and people weren't didn't have any inhibitions. There were no there were no iPhones. There were you know, if you went to a club, they weren't gonna have some photographers run around and take pictures of Mick Jagger or anybody you know doing anything illegal. It was never going to get out and if you try to sell it to some magazine, they wouldn't buy it anyway. But you know, it slowly all of that changed. So when I went out to a club, you know, Prince would be there and Michael Jackson whoever was, and you know, people were like relaxed and they could be be themselves, you know, which now only maybe in a private party with that happened, but I don't think would happen in the club anymore.
Speaker 1: Which female celebrities hit on you and you think like, hmm, maybe I should have gone out with them.
Speaker 2: Back in the day. Oh all of them?
Speaker 3: All of them. Who did I run into? Well, Iman was kind of cute. She was a friend of Grace's.
Speaker 2: Kind of cute, hot hot.
Speaker 3: There was I ran into, uh, I remember I ran into reck Well, Well some party she was, but she must have been I thought about it. She you know, probably wasn't more than like late thirties or maybe forty or something now, but she was quite hot, and.
Speaker 2: You were just a young buck I.
Speaker 3: Was, Yeah, I was. But well, models around, you know, a lot of models. Was that Chracy Grillo had. She had a sister was a model. I'm trying to remember her name though. Anyway, Well, there were a.
Speaker 1: Few, Oh my god, the eighties that was like the most iconic time for models.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you're right, because the models were were sexyre they looked more feminine, They weren't this kind of they still the started that kind of what's it called, like metrosexual or like andrown and drogens looks more.
Speaker 2: And now obscure is in.
Speaker 3: Yeah Knowmi Campbell and uh, you know Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista, all this girls.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, imagine you with Claudia Schiffer. It would have been Ken and Barbie machine version like the version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was lucky you got to work with the photographers, you know, like her Ritz and Helma Newton and Greg Gorman, all of those guys. You know.
Speaker 2: Andy Warhol, Anie World.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he took some of my first pictures with Andy Warhold. He he just had his knack of picking finding people that had even I wouldn't say talent, but had some something an X factor. Like he picked me out in the club. Yeah. Grace wasn't even there. He was just I just saw this little guy with white hair come up to me and go, Hi, what are you famous for? And I'm like, nothing as far as I know. And he's like, took a picture of me, and they said, I want to put you in my magazine. And then Grace showed up and I realized it was Andy Worrel and then we ended up doing a spread for for Interview magazine.
Speaker 2: Which is fun iconic. I want to see that photo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what happened to it. I think it was in his instamatic, but we did do a shoot with and and Andrew Watson were Interview. And then also he had this other buddy, Chris macOS, who's a great photographer. And I don't know if I think Grace told me or I found out later, because I remember going to the photo shooting and it was always like, uh okay, you know, wearing a T shirt. And then it would be like, hey, what if we do some pictures without the T shirt? You know? Uh okay, hey what if you just down to like underwear, you know, with that look? And then you know, I found out that there was some kind of bets between him and Andy about how much if there was a guy coming in, how much would they remove, you know, and and some something like and then sort of reporting on the on the on the guy's talents, if you know what I mean. So of course Grace showed up at some point in the fur coats, you know, to stop, you know, she got stops. It was like, no, stop that. So, I you know, it was tough when you were a kid, and it's nice boy, you didn't really understand what was going on. I mean I didn't really had no experience. I didn't. I didn't really I didn't get it, you know, but it took me a while to figure it out.
Speaker 1: And Grace Jones was sorry, I'll move on for a second, but this is just so iconic to me.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was known for pushing the envelope fashion wise, and she gorgeous, stunning.
Speaker 2: How tall was she?
Speaker 3: Probably as tall as people think the shows were these, you know amze, I mean nice stiletto heels, but five maybe five nine or something, so she wasn't short, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, okay, but she definitely dressed provocative. Lee, she was provocative and stirred things up, which was so groundbreaking. Did you ever feel jealous going out like the men were staring at her?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a little bit jealous in the beginning, Like I knew she had you know, she had a with this French guy who she hadn't been married to, but she he was the father of the son, and I think, yeah, there was some I realized some of the men we ran into it. Probably she had made it had an a fairway, whether you can kind of feel the energy or I wasn't that. I'm not a jealous person. I wasn't that jealous, but I did think that I did. I think at some point I think I can't kind of I ran into some of us going through a drawer at her house or something, and ran into some polaroids, you know, and I was like, oh, okay, a little bit explicit, but you know, it wasn't that bad. It was it was a crazy time. I didn't you know, no, I mean she wasn't jealous either, so it was it was fine. I think we were pretty secure in each other.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, the two hottest people ever. Like, gosh, what a while time. I can't believe you have three point three million followers on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I do, yeah something like that.
Speaker 2: What well, how do you do it? Give me?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't really meet social media. It's just a little bit of an annoying thing. I gotta do do some for you know, lifetimes of contracts. You have to have so many posts, and now with this Flicker brand I have, you know, you got to keep up with social media, but I don't really like it that much. I'm not a big fan of it. I hate to post pictures of myself, but you know, my wife helps me, and I don't know. I think it's a it's a necessary evil. Now. Yeah, so I can see where you know, there were in the old days some actors ever did publicity and it kind of would make them mysterious, you know, and I wish I could do that, but I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like double sided, like it's evil and it's great. And I used to love looking at actors and wondering, like, what is it like behind the scenes, what is their personal life like? And we never saw it, We never knew, you know, they would do publicity, do interviews. It was media trained. And now, you know, the thing is, the more real and authentic you are, you can connect with everyone, so everyone knows almost too much about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it sort of suits me because I like to I'm not you know, I don't have anything to hide. I can be open with my fans and talk about my private life or whatever anything happens to me. But I do agree with you that there was a time where say a real fine actor like Robert de Niro or Pacino, you can never They never did any They hardly did any press, so you never really knew that. You never saw them except for the when they played a character. So it made you want to pay ten dollars whatever cost to see them in the theater.
Speaker 2: Well, like I remember, it was ten dollars, was it?
Speaker 3: It was it five? I don't know about ten. I think, well, Jack Nichol said, I read about him. He did his last interview or talk shows in I think in the eighties or seventies, even I he just decided it's some point, yeah, I think. So if you check on him, you'll find very few interviews I think when he's talking about his work or his characters or you know, you know. I don't think he's ever been on I don't know if he's been on Letterman or you you know, not much. I think it kind of keeps a certain mystery there, and I think they maybe there will be some kind of maybe I'll come back to that. I don't know, because I saw this interview with Johnny Depp, you know, on on on I think it was a Letterman or but anyway, he was talking to the letterman. You know, he's very funny and interviews he just answers one word right for two words. But he's very very clever and charming. But he did say that he did a move because let him and ask him about Brando working with Marlon Brando and and he said that he did a picture with him. It's it called don't doing one anyway if the movie did. Yeah, And then Brando had asked him at some point, you know, like when they were having lunch, like how many movies do do a year or something? And then and he said that two or three whatever, Branza, there's too many. You know, it's says you only have so many characters in new closet or whatever. He had some funny word. But I always thought about that, and it's like, yeah, I mean, how much effort can you put into the great performers it obviously that's another thing that happened back in.
Speaker 1: The eighties as Nicole Kidman, because it's like ten a year or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Because when I did Rocky, I worked on that first. It took me six months to get through part of edition.
Speaker 2: Six months? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I had to I had to build. I had to train to get more muscular, I had to meet the producers, I had to work on a monologue, and I had to do a screen test. All that took time for me to prepare because Stallone was doing something, he was doing another picture. And then once I had the role, then I worked with Sly for six months on the choreography, lifting weights, you know, working on my Russian accent, all of that. So I had a full year of working on that character. Nothing That's the only thing I did, like a full time job. So of course, when you put that much work into something, it's going to have a certain resonance. It's going to be very, very layered, right, And you can't just throw something together in four weeks and think you're gonna be able to deliver anything iconic. It's not gonna. It's not gonna happen. I don't care how good you are, So if you do too many movies, you're not gonna deliver that. And it doesn't matter who you are. And I think that's what Brandon was talking about, and I can see that, you know, and that's what's happened now. You're right, some actors are in everything, so you know, it's not. They're good, but it's not memorable. It's not like you're gonna that's what you're gonna remember them ass, you're gonna remember them as something they did probably you know, you know that they spend time one when they were younger.
Speaker 1: You know, for me, it just dilutes their brand. Not that I want to call an actor a brand, but your persona Like it's just you want to wait and you want to be invested in. It's hard to invest. Well, it's hard to invest nowadays streaming. There's a million things you can watch, so it's really hard to get attached. And the attention span is like kids have no attention span?
Speaker 3: How can you fix it? It's you're right, it's almost like the trains left the station. You just got to hang on. I mean, can you sometimes still be a picture where it'll come out of nowhere and they'll win all the awards and there's some has that special quality of of you know, people putt of work into it. They say, you know, you know, I've work with this acting coach for some movies that called. His name is Larry Moss, and he works with Larry. He's great, right, Larry, And he did say, like when you when you make your entrance, you know, scene one, you know, act on scene one, you make your entrance and he says, within like a minute or less, the audience makes a decision. You know, do I love this character? Don't like them? Like? Am I fascinated by this character or not? If you're not, you know, you're done. That's it. You know, there's no nothing you can do. You have to like, you have to come in with something. And if somebody comes in with that X factor, then you know, whether it's a movie or a play, then they're magical and you just watch them and you realize, oh shit, you know this is really axhilarating. You know, it's like I believe this person and you're so right, and you know, but you're right. With all the streaming, there's I don't think that too many people think like that.
Speaker 1: You know, No, it's a sad lost art famous and get a job and yeah, wait, you just did a Brandow impersonation. It was brilliant. You do impersonations? Uh?
Speaker 3: Sometimes? Yeah, you know some people I I I either know or you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Have to do it here. But who else do you do.
Speaker 3: Your adult you know, yeah, to see I want Viking funeral. What I just focus. I don't want to Viking funeral. So yeah, I do a couple of people. Uh. The brand that's one of my favorite because I like is you know, it's so he has that very very cereblow. You know, even though he's these sort of these thugs, you know, he comes across the soul, sensitive and thoughtful. It's it's interesting even when he even when he no matter what character he plays, you know, it's I love him a lot, you know, I like his performances.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like after Rocky four that you got type cast?
Speaker 3: Well? I did in some ways. Yeah. I played obviously another guy with no shirt. He man with a big sword, and you know he was also a fighter, like a warrior like Ivan Drago. And then I played Punisher, who was a guy on a motorcycle with a shotgun and so cool gene gun. And I played you know a lot of action movies. You know. When I started studying acting, I I was I was attracted to acting because it gave me a chance to be emotional and like cry on stage and be a fool. And you know, I trained with this guy named Warren Robertson in New York, and he liked the primal scream and all this, you know, emotional. I like to be emotional because I had all this pain for my childhood. So I didn't really want to be an action star. It was just, you know, that role was perfect for me. And when I did a good job in Rocky four, then yeah, here's another guy who can kick ass and who looks like he could, you know, looks looks like an action guy. And that's the kind of movies I did.
Speaker 2: You know, do you ever want to do a rom com?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love rong coms. I like to cry and you know.
Speaker 2: How are you a comedy?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good at comedy.
Speaker 2: I think you know. I want to see you do a comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to see you and Stallone do like a different version of like.
Speaker 2: Dumb and dumber.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's not dumb, but.
Speaker 2: Like you know, Jim Carre, like that would like something funny? Yeah, can we set that up.
Speaker 3: I've become a fighter because against singer dance. No, but I think I think I would. Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I actually get a comedy on actually comedy that I'm developing, said in La the in show business with kind of Hollywood movie with you know, some of the expaniables. People learn that, so you know, it's it's not a hilarious comedy, but it's a little bit like a King of comedy that you know, squz pic. Sure it's kind of serious but funny.
Speaker 2: You probably do great physical comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, physical comedies. People like to see me do things. That's you know. I think I realized that when I was fighting that people wanted to watch me fight, you know, whether I want or.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to watch your cheekbones.
Speaker 3: But yeah, natural do things, kind of do things on film. It's for some people, you know. So you have that thing where they want people want to see you do things. So you write physical comedy be good.
Speaker 2: That'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: Do people ever slide into your d ms on Instagram? Make your direct messages?
Speaker 3: Do I? Yeah? You get some from friends getting weird ones, weird ones not really not really super weird, do I? I? Uh? I got I? Uh No, I don't read them, you know, I mean my wife reason sometimes I I don't read much of d M. So I accept if some like Chuck Norris or somebody, and yeah, but uh no, I I I don't really interact that much on Instagram, except you know, when I have you know, if I have something I want to spread, like a word about a movie or something, I gotta do it. But and it's a great tool. I love it. And you know, I don't know, it's just it's a bit it's a bit unnatural or something because you're talking to people you've never met and you're very kind of it. Sometimes it gets quite intimate or quite you know, personal. I would say, you know, it's a bit I'm still not used to it.
Speaker 1: I understand, Yeah, got it. Can you can you disclose if you're going to be in the new he man.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't say anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, just blink once. If you are, I won't tell anyone. It's a podcast, it's not visual.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I blink all the time. Whatever that means to your own conclusions.
Speaker 2: You are ready.
Speaker 3: A few secret projects you know that I'm playing around with. I'll come out later. I got three. Actually, it's weird. I've got all these things I can't talk about now. It's so strange. It's never been like that before.
Speaker 2: That's a cool thing. That means you got a lot going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, can.
Speaker 2: How do you feel sorry?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I just got vangirled and like totally blanked out.
Speaker 2: Have you actually sorry?
Speaker 1: This is so Rando. I like Rando questions because you've been asked everything in your whole career. I'm sure. Have you tried the infamous Swedish meatballs at Akia?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're good. I've tried them, not in La, but somewhere else. I can't remember where, but you know what, I had meatballs today?
Speaker 2: Do you make them dolf longer? And do you cook?
Speaker 3: Oh? I didn't actually, but I went to a restaurant in Stockholm with my parents in law and have some meatballs. It was good.
Speaker 1: Like is the linenberry sauce at Ikea? Is that authentic?
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Typically it is.
Speaker 3: Pretty authentic and it comes with linenberries and those cucumbers I believe, like salty cucumbers or some.
Speaker 1: Sorry your own brand as potatoes.
Speaker 2: Does your wife cook?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a pretty good cook, which is great because we live in La and I do find the difference if you compare to steak Sweden. All the food here is pretty clean, like you know, but I think in La you can't eat really well, but you have to be a little more proactive. And I think she's very smart about that. So I think that's maybe another secret I have that I eat really well.
Speaker 1: Was that like a thing like where you're like, okay, can you can you cook like Swedish cuisine?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Here, fill out this questionnaire question one. Can you make meatballs? No? I uh, I just know when I'm.
Speaker 2: Met her she can handle the balls.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, she didn't cook that much, but as we yes, you know, the years pasted, she did learned to cook or she ended up cooking more. And uh, you know, I used to cook a little more in the beginning, used to cook breakfast as such, But now I don't cook much at all, just a little bit, but not much, which is good because I'm busy. So I'm glad she's doing it.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: If you I don't even know if you ever do, and I know you're super healthy, But if you had to pick a fast food, what would be your favorite.
Speaker 3: Best food? Is? Hamburger? Fast food? Burger burger with cheese, burger.
Speaker 2: With fries, like what place?
Speaker 3: H There is one in West Hollywood called Shake Shake Shock. It's on.
Speaker 2: Mass food.
Speaker 3: Is that fast food? Now?
Speaker 2: It's really good? I would consider that.
Speaker 1: Now I'm talking like McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: No that now I could go for some for some I hop I could go for some pancakes. But so pancakes, I hop again.
Speaker 2: Not fast food. But I didn't see that one coming. Can we talk about your vodka hard cut?
Speaker 3: Okay, what about it? Uh? It's this is the logo HC. It's yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, it's sick potato vodka. And me and my wife came up with the idea. I just didn't like any of the vodkas out there.
Speaker 1: And what was the reason you E didn't like the other brands out there?
Speaker 3: Well, I missed the taste. I missed that you cannot drink it on ice, and you can't sip it because it's too harsh and it burns your throat. It's like aviation fuel. I didn't like that taste. That was the main thing that I wanted, a very smooth vodka. And I didn't know much about it, but it was kind of exciting to delve into it and I realized, we realized that potato vodka is a much smoother and there are very few potato vodkets only like one or two percent in America potato vodckets, and there was a really good chopine poland. But then we found one in America in Idaho, Idaho potatoes. Of course, that was great. Document and water. It's very very smooth. You can drink it straight up. People like that. People are very surprised when they try it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I could do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll send you a bottle. You just sip it on ice or you can because it's overproof. It is nighty proof, so when you put it in a cocktail, it holds the ice better, it doesn't get us diluted, and there's no clicks, so it's good. Like old the vodkas say the same thing, but we're all we taste better over ice, smooth and also tastes better in a cocktail. And that's that's That was the main thing. And then then I just thought, well, I want to have a little fun with vodka the way people have fun with tequila. You know, brands, the vodka brands are kind of boring, so I wanted to have a little fun with it and you know, have a little kind of badass expendables vibes.
Speaker 2: So and I love that you say.
Speaker 1: I mean, you put it out there that you're a self professed drinker, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't drink domb much. I work out a lot, but I do like to have a cocktail once a week maybe or sometimes twice. And and when I drink, I like to drink some really good something I really enjoy and i'd like to I don't have to, I don't have to abuse it. Just want to enjoy it. It's relaxing and fun, you know.
Speaker 1: I know people always say like, oh, you can't drink, like that's you know, especially when you get older, you can't drink.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting. You see these people that say.
Speaker 1: She lived to be one hundred and nine and she had a sip of whiskey every single day.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know, like it's like, look.
Speaker 3: I think if you have a little bit of alcohol, I mean, you look at people who live in like the Mediterranean region. I had a place in Spain for twenty years and bea or you go to grease people, yeah, drink a little bit, eat ruso, or they drink you know, wine, and they live the longest.
Speaker 2: It's very different than the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I don't think alcohol has a big time to do with unless you're an alcoholic. But I mean if anything in moderation, you know, I think what you eat is more important, you know, and then if you have a drink or two in a week, think that matters. Right.
Speaker 2: So you can have some vodka, if you have some pancakes.
Speaker 3: You can have vodka pancakes.
Speaker 2: Vodka infused pancakes.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that. Let me think about it. And the syrup, the syrup maybe here, okay, okay, you know we do have a five to one martini, which is you know I have. I like the old school stuff, the the what do you call it, the rat pack, the martinis, the you know, the rocks, glasses, all that kind of olives. Olives, yeah, green blue cheese are new. No, I would say, are you telling green olives? No, no piano, no pepper, and side because the pimento.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I love a good all of stuff with blue cheese.
Speaker 3: Oh blue cheese, you mean and the drink or.
Speaker 2: In the olive into the drink.
Speaker 3: I gotta try that and I haven't tried it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, a blue cheese stuffed all of martini.
Speaker 2: You have to with hard cut vodka. We'll do it together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, we'll do together.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a plan. And ice wise, like, does it have to be those like big cubes or you sip it over ice, so.
Speaker 3: Have to be a big cube, except we that's kind of a signature, look as the straight up over big cube, only because it just the cube doesn't mount as quickly so it doesn't dilute vodka too much.
Speaker 2: I see. That's the reason. I just thought they always look cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they look cool as well. You can get them. I can get them with the with the ice stamp.
Speaker 2: Really what Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's just a little detail. But I think mostly it's because the alcohol, well you know, otherwise the alcohol dilutes the ice and it becomes too diluted too fast. If you have bar ice. Bar ice is good for shaking, but not so much for a drink.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I could listen to you talk about this all day long. Okay, last question, Sorry, tell your wife to put ear muffs on.
Speaker 2: Has a girl ever said to you you must break me?
Speaker 3: They may? I forgot, but I mean I may have too much hard cut before now this is in the past.
Speaker 2: That may have seen in the past, of course, yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe I think they've maybe said it and not perhaps those words, but maybe somebody did say that.
Speaker 2: Well, you were delightful.
Speaker 1: I was so excited to have a conversation with you, just because it was Nostalgia is really big right now, and I know you have so many new projects coming out, but it's nice when we can hold onto things that were during a time period that meant something and held a special place in our hearts. So You've always had that in my heart. So I was really excited to talk to you today and I am super impressed. I don't know, I think you're so fun.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tory. You look great too, and it was great to talk to you here. It was the best interview I've ever had for for a long time.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I appreciate that. Okay, wait, we're going to have that drink together right with your wife, the three of us. It will be like the new throufle I'm single now, so okay, no problem. Perfect, Thank you, Bye Tory. Bye.