Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central from New York City, the only city in America. It's the show that infected News.
Speaker 2: It's The Daily Show with your host Nnessee Lighting and Jordany Clapper.
Speaker 3: Welcome to The Hailey Show.
Speaker 4: I'm Jesse Lightning and I'm Jordan Clapper, world co hosting tonight. Yeah, and of course it is the night before Thanksgiving, so that could only mean one thing.
Speaker 3: Neither of us wanted to see our family go.
Speaker 1: We got a great show. So let's get into headlines.
Speaker 5: Let's kick things.
Speaker 3: Off with some news about cryptocurrent and see historically it's the best investment if you're looking to have your money stolen by a guy whose mattress is one hundred percent for sure on the floor. But now there's one less place for Americans to trade it.
Speaker 5: This morning, another major blow to the cryptocurrency industry as the leader of the world's largest crypto exchange pleads guilty to multiple US violations, including money laundering.
Speaker 6: The FEDS accused Binance and its CEO, Changpeng Joo, of processing more than one hundred thousand transactions by child abusers, cyber criminals, and even terrorists.
Speaker 5: Joo has agreed to pay.
Speaker 6: More than four billion dollars in fines and step down as CEO, and Binance will no longer do business within the US.
Speaker 3: WHA, No, you're telling me that crypto guy was shady.
Speaker 1: The crypto guy was shady, so weird.
Speaker 3: He was so nice when he sold me the weapons on the black market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of shot, you know.
Speaker 4: But you know, there is that one thing that you always say, Oh, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, the one thing.
Speaker 5: What is it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh, everyone in crypto is shady. Have you ever talked to someone who's into crypto and thought to yourself, Wow, what an upstanding human citizen. I definitely would prefer talking to them rather than shooting myself in the face. But yes, Binance is going to have to shut down in the US, which could jeopardize any American who has money there. To be fair, if you're a non criminal who's lost money in this, that's on you, because at this point, investing in crypto is like playing r Kelly at your wedding.
Speaker 5: You should know.
Speaker 3: It's not a good choice.
Speaker 4: I gotta say I saw this coming from a mile away. I knew this company sounded fishy from the moment I heard its name.
Speaker 3: The name binance alone. It it sounds like a four year old trying to say finance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like a woke economics course, Oberlin.
Speaker 1: I haven't really picked a currency. I'm more financial.
Speaker 3: Basically a guy with a fake mustache trying to get away with something. Are you guys doing finance?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: No, we do binance with money?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna leave my money in the real banks where nothing bad ever happens. Moving on to President, Biden pulls show that he's not doing well with young people, who apparently find him suss mid and deficient in rids, all words I a young person know quite well. But Biden has a new policy to win them back.
Speaker 7: Biden administration wants to eliminate so called cord cutting fees. It would be done through a new proposed rule from the FCC, which would require cable and satellite TV operators to get rid of those early termination fees for subscribers. The agency says those fees really limit a customer's ability to choose the service they want.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so so Biden wants to make it easier for people to cancel cable.
Speaker 3: This is a bad idea, and I am not just saying that because we're on cable.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: You're saying it because cable is the lifeblood of the American experience. Cable is about family, tradition.
Speaker 3: The Bible, the Constitution.
Speaker 4: Have a four to one ks for the on air hosts. You know, we get that, right, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: We do nice.
Speaker 3: These fees are essential. I mean you can't just get rid of no.
Speaker 1: Maybe you know, maybe we even double them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or canceling cable should just be illegal. Maybe the death penalty is that too much?
Speaker 1: It's not too much. Definitely not too much.
Speaker 3: I don't even think we should be talking about this right now.
Speaker 1: I don't think we should talk about it today.
Speaker 3: That let's move on, Okay, let's move on to some public safety news. Recent studies show that women are more likely to be hurt in car crashes, and Jordan the is obvious.
Speaker 4: Women are bad drivers. What you said, it's what you said. It's sexism.
Speaker 3: Sexism, Yeah, sexism. And now the auto industry is finally starting to do something about it.
Speaker 8: When it comes to designing crash test dummies, researchers say it's time to get smarter.
Speaker 1: This is the average female.
Speaker 8: Engineers in Sweden have developed a dummy based on a woman's body.
Speaker 4: More narrower shoulder area and a wider hip area.
Speaker 8: It's also lighter and has a lower center of gravity, all things experts say are important to consider when testing collisions at high speeds.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a surprise. The cars are designed to be safe for crash test dummies, and the dummies are designed to represent men's bodies. Although to be fair, it's not just the dummies. The study also revealed that right before a crash, men tends up, while women usually whisper. Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry sorry. I will say I'm glad they're finally making changes to the dummies. But if we were worried about accuracy, let's go all the way with this. Why not fill the car with half eaten takeout containers and a hockey stick that was left in the back seat for the last three months, no matter how many times you told them to bring it in the fucking house. Let's see what happens when that hits the wall at sixty miles an hour. Sorry, Jordan, it's been a tough week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no worries. Thanks again for driving me to hockey practice.
Speaker 5: Yeah no product.
Speaker 3: So thanks to the scientists and congrats on designing a mannequin that men won't dream about having sex with.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right, totally, totally, totally definitely, so spot on spot on, spot off spot.
Speaker 1: Can we move on? Please?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Holidays are coming up and that means the start of a decade old tradition.
Speaker 1: That's it. I went on location to watch it happen.
Speaker 4: America has had its share of intractable wars, but Fox News has been tracking one forever war.
Speaker 1: In particular, it's a war on Christmas.
Speaker 2: The War on Christmas.
Speaker 5: The War on Christmas to the War on.
Speaker 1: Christmas, and there's no end each side.
Speaker 9: Now it feels like the War on Christmas is coming earlier and earlier every year.
Speaker 3: So we came to the Fox News All American Christmas Tree Lighting Show to talk to people about how they're surviving the War on Christmas.
Speaker 10: I don't feel like there's a war on Christmas, and I think if there was a war on Christmas, Christmas move one.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with the war on Christmas? I've heard of it, but I don't really think it's actually a thing.
Speaker 1: So are you serious? People can't say Merry Christmas anymore?
Speaker 3: If I say Merry Christmas and my neighbor ten times in a row.
Speaker 11: It looks at me like I'm crazy. Do you think that this tree.
Speaker 3: Lighting ceremony is so much smaller this year because Fox lost so much money in the dominion lawsuit?
Speaker 5: That's very possible, but I haven't really heard a lot of fun into that.
Speaker 2: Are you at all worried?
Speaker 11: That's on me?
Speaker 4: No tree lighting sae everybody next year when smart metic comes in and takes the rest of the cat. Not really, no, No the hell people even know it's Christmas. Outside of those Christmas decorations and those Christmas.
Speaker 1: And those.
Speaker 3: There's a Sanna.
Speaker 4: Finally, we spoke to some civilians who truly have experienced the.
Speaker 1: Noug of war. Fox has talked a lot about how there.
Speaker 8: Is a war on Christmas.
Speaker 5: I think there is.
Speaker 1: If I were to say happy Holidays, how would that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I might correct you.
Speaker 4: Some people talk about saying happy Holidays. Pot is really proud about saying Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: They say there's a war on Christmas.
Speaker 2: There is.
Speaker 1: There's a war on Christmas.
Speaker 8: I believe we look around you, look at all the businesses, look at the corporations that have you know, not allowed you to say that.
Speaker 6: I think that people are scared to speak up about their Christianity, about their faith.
Speaker 3: Sure, there is a war on Christmas, and the group facing the most vitriol, for sure are Christians.
Speaker 1: I think Christians specifically, guess right now, right.
Speaker 3: Now, but it is defending Christmas enough to put them on saying as nice list? Or does Saint Nick reconsider when Fox News hosts say things.
Speaker 4: Like this, I want to say something about Arab Americans.
Speaker 1: We've had it with them.
Speaker 3: Okay, so not your nice Someone at Box News said we've had it with them, referencing Eric's in general, not just nice. So Jessie Waters will be in a nice nice category, maybe.
Speaker 11: Because I'm a New Yorker and I'm pretty you know, use this stuff, used.
Speaker 1: To stuff, and now I've been mom, keep your mind. Yeah, and so that's like led to an.
Speaker 4: Irrational hour that you already project down to an entire group of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got the five right here. Judge, not your nice, nice, nice good judge. He sees the world. Ye call it that she sees that exactly.
Speaker 4: That lady knows a way around exactly a bar a bar, not your nice Fox News nice, nice, nice nice. Yes, what about when they lied to the American people about the election results? That's naughty.
Speaker 1: That's no, that is naughty.
Speaker 3: We can acknowledge that's naughty.
Speaker 1: What overall Fox News nice nice makes mistakes. We all make mistakes.
Speaker 4: Who hasn't threatened the entire nation's trust in democracy?
Speaker 3: We'll start one moment for ninety one.
Speaker 4: We finally arrived at the moment to declare mission accomplished.
Speaker 1: All the War of Christmas three two one.
Speaker 5: Until next year.
Speaker 1: When we come back, We're gonna report from John as a double away.
Speaker 3: We've opened up our guests here the shows. Who are our guests? We've discovered that not all people are terrible, So now we're inviting some of our new not terrible friends back in a new segment we call in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's help us up? Everybody?
Speaker 12: I'm John Leguizamo, and Yo, it's great to be back at the Daily Show.
Speaker 11: For two reasons. One, you guys got the best snacks.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, I mean I could buy my own snacks, but they taste way better when they're free, except for that dried seaweed that always tastes like a flounders butthole. But more importantly, I came back because something is.
Speaker 11: Pissing me off.
Speaker 10: Univisa, you own face and growing backlash after giving Donald Trump the royal treatment. Last week, the network hosted a very friendly, our long exclusive interview with Trump that his son in law, Jared Kushner, helped arrange.
Speaker 11: I'd mother meal.
Speaker 12: I don't know what's more shocking that Univision gave Trump a softball interview or that Trump led a Latin guy into his house. How did that happen? What do he think he was there to mow the lawn? But yeah, journalist Enrique A. Sevedo interviewed Donald Trump for Univision Now. For decades, Univision has been the channel that Latinos have trusted for news, whether it's news about the.
Speaker 11: World or news about a sexy lady minor will he took off against the most powerful woman in town for a more.
Speaker 12: And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Univision interviewing Trump. In fact, I thought it would be dope opportunity to confront him on his hardline anti Latino policy. But instead of an interview worthy of Univision, we saw this ca Camerda, The.
Speaker 2: New York Times Enapole came out this week. It has you with forty two percent.
Speaker 1: Of Latino voters support.
Speaker 9: That's unprecedented for our Republican candidate.
Speaker 2: What do you think the message voters are sending with his numbers? It's a forty two percent, Like I was saying, I unpresidented for our Republican candidate.
Speaker 1: What do you think voters are responding to your message?
Speaker 2: Do you think the voter is now more secure because.
Speaker 12: Of that relationship and the partnership you've been able to build with Mexico.
Speaker 7: More and more Latinos are identifying themselves as conservatives.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 12: Wait, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but those are your questions to the guy who might be the next president, mister Trunk, Why why are you so beloved by the Latino community? I mean, I was expecting this guy's follow up question to be is it true that to look upon your penis it would be like, I don't know, gazing into the very face of God.
Speaker 1: I mean, no charity, how big? Easy?
Speaker 11: Tell them, tell you to start, tell me to start and yo.
Speaker 12: Just to be clear, we Latinos are not a monolith. There are some of us that do support Trump and my family. We refer to him as the crazy uncle who doesn't get invited to Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: But that's just my house.
Speaker 12: But as a news organization for the Latino community, Univision has a responsibility to fully report what a second Trump presidency could mean for them, and the truth.
Speaker 11: Is that that shit is mad scary.
Speaker 13: We have learned so much more about Trump's proposal for a twenty twenty five agenda, particularly when it comes to immigration. It's plan would essentially call for building detention camps for migrants who are rounded up around the country to be held at until they are deported. This is an extreme escalator from what we saw in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 9: Among his promises mass deportations, ending birthright citizenship, and denine entry to legal immigrants based on their ideological beliefs.
Speaker 12: We will begin the largest domestic deportation operation.
Speaker 1: In American history.
Speaker 11: And nobody has any idea where these people are coming from. And we know they come from prisons, We know they come from mental.
Speaker 5: Institutions, insane asylums.
Speaker 3: We know they are terrorists.
Speaker 11: It's poisoning the.
Speaker 1: Blood of our country.
Speaker 12: Wait wait, wait, what Latino immigrants are poisoning the blood of our country, mother, What are you talking about?
Speaker 11: Your blood is ninety nine percent big Mac.
Speaker 12: Also also, wait, did he really say immigrants are coming from insane asylums? That's not what getting granted asylum means, moron. And by the way, birthright citizenship is in the Constitution, just so you know. And I know most Republicans stop reading after the Second Amendment, but stick around because that fourteenth m That shit gets good. So the question is why would Univision avoid asking Trump about the radical twenty twenty five agenda? And more disturbingly, why did the network cancel ads from the Biden campaign that was set to.
Speaker 11: Run during the interview?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, and why did it cancel a separate interview it had planned with Biden's Hispanic media director. I mean, canceling opposing views is bad enough, but canceling ad revenue that's down.
Speaker 1: That's down right on American.
Speaker 12: And I don't know all the answers, but maybe it has something to do with Univision's new co CEO, bernardog Mez, being close friends with Jared Kushner, Trump's son in law and the only man with the skin of a flower tortilla. Look, I don't know I'm just asking the tough questions, unlike Univision's interviewer. The point is, though Univision has got to come back to its core values. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have Trump on the air. I'm just saying, if you do decide to sit down with a lying insurrectionist who wants to bring back interment camps like it's freaking nineteen forty two, you might want to point it out in the interview, okay, because there needs.
Speaker 11: To be honest journalism and parody.
Speaker 12: The Latino community needs you to step up because the stakes for us in twenty twenty four too damn high. You need to expose the truth, and not just about Trump, but also about how they are not those evil madre It's sabotaging is forbidden. Love of Emilias, swallow a more.
Speaker 1: I love you. I'm sure the whole time, John Reford, you're the right At Recovers with Jeff Glasses, it will go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Our guest Tonight is a former prosecutor and veterans serving his first term in Congress. He represents North Carolina's fourteenth Congressional district, and he's running for Attorney General in North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Democratic Representative Jeff Jackson. Come crowd, Congress and Jackson, thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so excited to have you.
Speaker 3: You are an incredibly successful politician, but most people know you from your TikTok videos. You do these incredible explainers that distill down pretty complex issues in a really clear, digestible way. Is the intent to simplify these issues for people and get that engagement? Are you really just posting foot picks?
Speaker 9: Every consultant in DC told me to go the foot direction. Yes, I said, that's not what I'm about.
Speaker 1: No, you're a hands guy.
Speaker 6: We know you are.
Speaker 1: I love a good hand TikTok Oh, show me that that Vogue era. Give me this, Lauren Bolbert.
Speaker 4: I had a great hands video a few months ago. Great, great, is that what you're talking about.
Speaker 9: I'm a kitchen table guy, right, I have a kitchen table. I put a camera on the other side, I look into it. I say, here's the most interesting thing that happened to me in Congress this week? And then I posted to a bunch of different social media platforms. I have been really surprised by the level of interest in this political environment where everyone is yelling at each other all the time, to be able to speak in a normal tone of voice and try to convey some of the complexity and some of the nuance that there would be broad interest for that, I think is really encouraging.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good signing.
Speaker 4: I now I feel though the platforms that we have our conversations on dictate the types of conversations we have, and TikTok is a short attention span platform, Like, what does it say about our democracy that this is where the conversations are happening.
Speaker 9: I've been surprised. I wouldn't have expected that. So I post to TikTok, but also Facebook, read at Twitter. The place where most people view is TikTok. When I'm home in my district, constituents come up and they say, hey, I appreciate what you posted on TikTok. I would not have predicted that. I will tell you I've got seven hundred and sixty thousand some odd constituents my senses, about three hundred thousand of them are on TikTok.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 9: I know TikTok's got all kinds of issues, but I think that reaching my constituents where they are is also something of real value. It should be normal and expected that your elected officials try and use social media to keep you posted about what they're doing.
Speaker 2: It should be part of our job.
Speaker 1: You think you think half of your constituents are on TikTok? How many high schools do you have in your district?
Speaker 9: You know, I've got a lot of young people, But look, there are people of all ages on all of these social media platforms. And every once in a while you meet a grandma who comes up and says, I really love you on TikTok. Usually they mentioned Facebook, but sometimes TikTok.
Speaker 3: So you were talking about some of the issues with TikTok. Nikki Haley has just openly spoken about banning TikTok and the security concerns. Do you have those concerns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those concerns are all legit.
Speaker 9: Look, I have a phone that has one app on it, and that app is TikTok, and that's how I handle that.
Speaker 1: And that's because you fear what could happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, because the overall threat is that essentially the Chinese government has access to your information and can influence the discourse because of it.
Speaker 9: Those are all absolutely credible concerns. As long as roughly half of my constituents are there, I'm gonna try and use it for good and keep them posted about what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about some of the people you work with. You you called out on your famous TikTok videos that a lot of the people in Congress you sense, are faking this outrage that what we're seeing at home is essentially a bunch of people faking it.
Speaker 1: Who would you put on blasts? Who are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And does it rhyme with Schmrjorie Schmaaler Schmid.
Speaker 2: All I will say is this, It's not George Santos.
Speaker 1: Never, He's not vacant.
Speaker 2: It's never a false word from that gentleman. I'll tell you this.
Speaker 9: I've been in committees and I have watched when the camera turns on, people's personalities change completely right before your eyes.
Speaker 2: It's really jarring. It is literal theater.
Speaker 9: And you've got a handful of people there who are in competition with each other every day to be the most outrageous, which is why it feels like when you look at Congress, they're on this escalator that's just increasingly.
Speaker 2: Crazy and angry.
Speaker 9: It's because they're playing a very specific game to try and get the attention of a very specific group of people, and it's awful and exhausting. Most of people up there aren't playing that game. The people we keep getting served up, they're playing the Outrage Olympics every day. That's how they treat their job in Congress as the day we tryouts for the Outrage Olympics.
Speaker 4: I find it interesting because you have found the success. You don't seem like the outrage kind of God.
Speaker 3: You always seem like you're at like an even five.
Speaker 1: That's you got, Like you got like a nice dad, energy, good dad.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not going to drink with you, but I will pick you up if you drink too much.
Speaker 1: I will no questions, ask, give me a call, Right, I'm that guy. Yeah, yeah, why do you think?
Speaker 2: Let me say something else? I think right now, that's the dad American needs.
Speaker 4: I could also say, kind of a tipsy uncle who can whip this country back into shape to it.
Speaker 5: All, we're dangerously close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like uncle is going to turn on us. We better shape up.
Speaker 3: What does boil your blood? Does anything get you going?
Speaker 2: Outright?
Speaker 9: Political corruption For example, my state, North Carolina a horrible history with jerrymandering. Jerry Mandering is just letting politicians draw their own districts, because when you do that, they're all going to cheat my party. When my party had the ability to draw the districts in North Carolina, they always cheated. When I was in the state legislature, the first bill I ever filed was to end jerry mandering, and they sent it to a committee that hasn't met in twenty years. We can't let politicians draw their own districts because they screw the voters every single time. No more jerry mandering across the entire country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a huge.
Speaker 3: Issue, But how do we fix this cancer on political discourse? How do you solve that?
Speaker 9: Don't vote for anyone who isn't explicitly committed to independent redistricting. Independent redistricting is how you solve jerry mandering. If there is any elected official or a candidate who says, well, I don't know if I'm forward, maybe maybe not, uh uh, we should just have a bright line. Jerry mandering is unethical. There is never a defense for drawing districts to favor one party or the other. Don't vote for anyone who would ever engage in that behavior.
Speaker 2: That's how we solve it.
Speaker 4: Now, well, you've been in Congress for about eleven months now, and you're you're planning on getting jerry mandered out, and you're running for attorney general.
Speaker 1: Attorneys general, attorneys general.
Speaker 2: It's very awkward, don't know.
Speaker 11: Could you do an.
Speaker 3: Explainer on why it's attorneys general.
Speaker 4: And short TikTok length because it's easier to understand, and also I think I would get bored.
Speaker 9: More for more than thirty seconds about it's a bad decision that someone made a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well you're welcome.
Speaker 4: But even your new role that you're running for right now, would you be able to address jerry mandering?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: Look, the attorney general's job is standing up for people. It's sort of the opposite of what you see a lot of in Congress. It's not about the theatrics. It's not about the left or the right. It's just about doing what's right, standing up against political corruption, against business corruption, especially when consumers are getting screwed, and organized crime. We got a huge fentanyl problem in North Carolina. We got it across the entire country. The Attorney General gets to be directly involved in handling all of that. It's a really wonderful job.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you coming on with that.
Speaker 3: You seem like the perfect guy for the job, that's for sure. Give it up for Representative Jack.
Speaker 1: We'll be good. Bread Wolver right back then to you next week with Michelle Wolf takes over the desk.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 1: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouse Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast