Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to The Phillies Show with Bruben Tomorrow Junior Jim Salisbury. I am Todd Zo Lucky. It is Monday, April nine, twenty twenty four. The Phillies coming off a sweep of the Padres in San Diego. The Phillies are nineteen and ten overall, they're eighteen and eight in April.
Speaker 3: Guys, do you know the Phillies have never.
Speaker 2: Won nineteen games in the month of April. Ever, they have a chance to do that tonight in Anaheim. They're a game and a half behind the Braves. The Phillies, who always get off the slow starts, can now say they have. They're tied for the third best record in Major League Baseball with the Yankees.
Speaker 3: They're really playing good baseball.
Speaker 2: And I thought a good way to start this episode would be talking about a guy whom I'm wondering is he having a breakout year? And that is Alec Boom. We've talked a lot about him. We're kind of touched on actually in the last episode moving up to the cleanup spot.
Speaker 3: It's having a great year.
Speaker 2: I mean he's driving a ton of runs, he's hitting for some power, and am I overstating at guys, when I say, is this the year he finally breaks out, makes an All Star team, enters the conversation maybe as an outside long shot MVP candidate.
Speaker 3: Am I nuts or.
Speaker 1: Not? I think all those things are possible.
Speaker 4: So the beauty of what Alec Bohm brought to the table when he was drafted was that the guy was just more of a pure hitter than he was a power guy in the first place. And he's sort of going through that old school progress, right. I always believe that if you're and I think of the guy that I think about as like a rafa Al Palmaro, And I know there was some question about, you know, peds and all that stuff later on in his career, but Rafael Palmaro was a very very good pure hitter. I think he came out of Mississippi State or Mississippior whatever. Anyway, he was a really, really, really good hitter. And and in fact, when he got to the Cubs in the big leagues, he didn't even make he didn't even he wasn't had no ability to pull the ball. He hit everything from second base to the left side of the field. And the question was, well, this guy's at first, basement or corner outfitter, is you could ever have enough power to play those positions, even though he's like it's just a good, like solid singles hitter, gap to gap type of a hitter. Well most much like a lot of guys who have great bat speed and guys who have great eye hand coordination and just ability to hit. I think you're seeing that out of Alec Bohm right now. He was a very good pure hit. He's always been a very good pure hitter. It's always you know, he's always been able to go sort of gap to gap. But the question was was he going to be able to get consistently to the inside pitch the fastball inside because he's got really long levers, And whether or not he's going to be able to get extension on pitches on the inside part of the plate, And will he ever really lost the ball consistently, you know, to hit thirty five or forty home runs. I think he had the raw power to do that, but his swing path just isn't It's not like a home run type of a launch angle swing path. And I just love the fact that he is now. I talked to Charlie Manuel about this all the time. He's starting to understand when he needs to make contact out front. There's certain pitches that he can now instead of letting them get too deep, which is a great ability that he has, is letting the ball get deep because he can take a fastball on the inside part and smoke it to right center or smoke it to right But he's also now learning that he can get pitches maybe a little softer or a mistake pitch in the middle of the plate and turn on it. So you see him drilling some balls down the left field line. Now, are they going out of the ball park all the time? No, But he's smoking them and their extra base hits.
Speaker 1: And who cares? I mean, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: When when you're having those types of a bats and you're hitting the herd, who cares Whether you're hitting home runs, you're producing runs, you're producing bullets, you're hitting the baseball over the place, And as long as you're hitting the ball hard somewhere.
Speaker 1: And doing it as consistently as he is, it's a fun thing to watch. Man.
Speaker 4: I know this is you know, every every hitter gets hot, and you know has has those hot spurts and and he'll cool off. There's no question. Nobody can hit like this for the rest of their lives. It's not going to happen. But his overall approach has put him in this position. And I think his overall confidence and ability to make contact a little bit further out front in his in his contact point and being confident to be able to do that, you know, reach out more comfortably in a more relaxed way. I think it's made him It's going to make him one of the more complete hitters moving forward, because it's harder to go from being, you know, a home run hitter to being like a you know, making contact and being able to cover plate then going the other way. And I think that this is just like an old school progression for a young man who now feels very comfortable in his skin as a player and is becoming the kind of offensive player that I think that they hoped they were getting when they drafted him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you mentioned he's getting comfortable in his skin, and I think hand in hand with that is confidence. You mentioned that as well. I just see a very confident hitter who has stayed true to his style of hitting. If there were ever temptations. And I don't know that they ever asked them to lift the ball, but if there were ever temptations to do that in baseball in the two thousand and twenties, we see a lot of it. He's resisted it. He's got a little inside out, and he's really learning to use the bat head line drive approach. I remember when they drafted him looking at his numbers at which toss state, and there was you could see a player that just got better. You could just see it in the numbers, a player that got better and better every year. Kid cod league, which toss state. You also could see that he was a selective hitter. He really knew the strike zone. One word that bothers me is patience. You know, we say, somebody a hitter, or be patient. To me, the goal should be selectivity because you get a cookie early. Why do you want to be patient? But he's a very selective hitter and has had that kind of in his DNA, And I just see a guy really learning to use the bat head to his advantage. And you're seeing the confidence right now. And I just think it's an amazing story because and the way he hits with on base it's been amazing since day one. But I think it's a great story because we all know that night against the Mets when he made the errors, But that to me was only only shows part of his journey. If you look back to the spring of twenty twenty two, you remember this Todd. I mean, he really lacked confidence. At one point Joe Girardi started playing Bryson Stott at third base and pronounced that he has a chance to be the opening day guy with Bom having to go to Triple A. And I remember him walking down the clubhouse to that spring and you know, looking at times for long, looking like he lost his best friend, just looking like he needed a shot of confidence. And he's gotten it, you know, with the help of others, but he's gotten it through his performance. I mean, he was legitimately a trade candidate in in the spring of twenty twenty two. And I'm going to tell you how I know this.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember you're writing this.
Speaker 5: Well. I got a call one day, Ruben, from a scout from another team and during spring clear Water, and he said, hey, look, I've watched Alec Boone play a ton I know all about him, you know, between the lines as a player, is a good guy. Tell me the teammates like him. He's a good guy in the clubhouse. So tell me about is you know he's doing that background you do on guys, and he kind of swmed me to secrecy, and I think, now I'm safe. But I mean, you know, I can extrapolate from that that he was available for a trade, and so I mean, it's so win win. The guy's performing better, he's doing a great judge, a core player, and he could have been moved on. They could have moved on from him, probably a couple of times. So patients I mentioned, I didn't like that word, but I do like it in this regard in terms of player development. I think because of the money and the pressure to get to the big league quickly and perform, we lose patience in the player development process. I think he's a testament to what some patients can do and some player development can do at the big league level. Development doesn't start the day you arrive in the majors. He's gotten better while playing in the majors, and offensively and defensively, and now what we're seeing is an immensely confident player, a player who believes he belongs, a player who is delivering, a player who is I mean when I watched that kid hit a double and stand on second base and do this and smile, I see joy of the game in that face, and I love it. I love a good story, and Alec Bowman is a good story, a good human story of sticking with it, of getting better of you know, going from looking over your shoulder and you're looking tentative, like a like a newborn giraffe who can barely stand up to a guy who's now going to make a best of the All Star Game? Soop?
Speaker 1: How about this?
Speaker 2: In terms of development, Rob Thompson, Rubert, I think you were there last week in CINCINNATAI he said something that if he would have said this two years ago, he would been laughed out of the dugout. He said, I think right now, Alec Bowma is an above average defensive third baseman, and you can I'm sure if you pulled ten different scouts, some would say no, some might say yes, some might say he's average. But the fact that Rob Thompson can say that and not get laughed out of the dugout is another example.
Speaker 3: I think of that development, right I mean.
Speaker 2: He's you know, a few years ago he was getting mocked for how bad he was defensively, and now he is somebody that when the balls hit there, more often than not, you feel like he is going to make the play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this is part of it brings up a really big subject about you know, young players getting to the big leagues.
Speaker 1: Typically they're not finished products. None of them are.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're watching it with Jackson Holliday, You're watching it with all types of plays.
Speaker 1: The guys that get to the.
Speaker 4: Major leagues are almost never ready to actually be they're not complete players. They might be ready to compete at the major league level in some way, shape or form, either defensively or offensively, but they're never a finished product. And you know, it took Jimmy Rollins and Chase Suttley three two three four years to like really become the players that they were going to become. That's why there's a real progression here. And he's and alec is a perfect example of that, not not just offensively, but defensively. Was always a question, Okay, we got to move this kind at first base. He can't play third base. He's gotta play that he's got to play well. He's worked his butt off, Dickerson has done. Bobby's done a great job of getting him to the point where he believes in himself again as as a total.
Speaker 1: Player, not just as an offensive player.
Speaker 4: I mean, k Long's helped him, you know, continue And and there's also one of those things where there was a resistance and a recognition that, Okay, this guy can still be a productive player without screwing up his swing. Let this guy, okay, he's not hitting the ball of the ballpark. Let's not and you touched on it a little bit. Let's not screw this guy up. Let this guy be himself and be the best version of himself. And that's what you're seeing starting to see right now. And it's going to get better. I really think it's going to get better and better. I'm just overall from year to year. Uh And and it is a great story. I'm really really happy for the guy because I can tell you same sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I was one of the spring trainings a couple of years ago, and I remember going up to al Hey, Alek, how you doing, what's going on? And shaking his hand and he he sort of shook my hand and he was I could see like there was tentativeness in his eyes, you know, there was not, And I think it's I think it's really cool, Jim, that you noticed, you know now with you know, he's high five and then doing all that stuff and doing a little shimmy and that kind of stuff. It's cool that he's feeling like he knows he belongs and he knows he can be a productive major league player.
Speaker 5: Well, how about the fact I'm seeing a kid who just loves the game, and it's hard to love the game when you're not playing. Well, that's why I hate golf, Ruben.
Speaker 4: I understand sometimes that's a love hate relationship with me.
Speaker 5: Well, one last.
Speaker 2: Thought on Boem for me is, you know, speaking of the comfortability and whatnot and being comfortable in his own skin, this is a guy now when he signs autographs, he might write I love this place. Like he embraced that moment to the point where he is signing that on autograph baseballs and there's a T shirt that some company makes that he with his signature on it. To embrace that moment, I think says a lot about his growth as a human being.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, that's a great decision. And I got to give Kevin Gregg some love for that.
Speaker 4: You know, in the PR department, he's run out of communications with the Phillies for sort of advising him, Hey, you know, you're gonna have to face this, you gotta You're gonna have to, you know, come clean with it and be honest with the.
Speaker 1: People about it.
Speaker 4: And I think they handled it in a beautiful way and it's really helped him.
Speaker 5: And remember, like with Alex, now he's graduated. I guess you could stay to the cleanup spot last hand full of games there last week. But you know, with all the hand ringing about they're not slugging, well there are slugging percentages is going way up here on the last two weeks and they're leading the they're leading the league at home runs.
Speaker 1: Now, it's crazy. There you have it, and there you have it.
Speaker 5: It's just you can't fret over a slow start when you have track records like this, when you have ascending players like a bomb, like a start like a marsh Guys, who are you know? You have the core nucleus with the track records, you have the ascending guys. Nice mix, no.
Speaker 2: It's a great mix, and it's you know, he's Stot might be heating up as well. You know, he's been off to a slow start. So man, you get that bottom of the lineup going, and you get Johann Ross just getting on base a little bit every once in a while, it's it's it's so big, and you know Bryce is gonna take off at some point. I mean, he's been pretty good, but you know he's gonna take off at some point. But to have Boem and Stott Marsh coming back where it all started for him.
Speaker 3: This week in Anaheim, you know, it looks like a pretty good lineup.
Speaker 2: And you're right, like, remember when they were two and four and we were talking about how, my gosh, this team can just never get off to a good start, and now they're nineteen and ten.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about this today that, you know, because Turner's been hot and Baum has been otherworldly. You mentioned Bryce hasn't even you know, we haven't even seen the whites of Bryce's eyes yet. He could have had one of those months. He's gonna have one of those months. He's gonna have two of those months, two of those months where it's like an ops that begins with a one point one. You know, right, it's gonna be it's gonna be dazzling. So he hasn't even begun to fight yet.
Speaker 1: So this is also the beauty of what baseball is about.
Speaker 4: And people talk about, well, it's such a long Yeah, it's a long season because there are the ebbs and flows and the adjustments that the played players make and and you know, the ability to stay healthy and all those things are such an important part. And the great ones, the great ones, have the ability to concentrate for one hundred and sixty games or the majority of those games. And you know, I think about you know, the Hall of Fame players, those guys had an ability to uh, to be able to perform at a very very high level for long, long, long periods of time, years and years and years, months and months and months played appearance after a played appearance, you know, start after start.
Speaker 1: And so that's what separates the the you know, the.
Speaker 4: Big boys from the little boys, is that their ability to do that on a daily basis, and and that's the beauty of the game. That's I also will say this and reiterate this. One of the reasons why they had the slow starts because I don't think they've got enough reps in spring training.
Speaker 1: I still believe that to be true.
Speaker 4: Now, I do believe, and we talked about this, that at some point their reps were going to be enough in during the course of the season where they're gonna start doing what they typically would do.
Speaker 1: And you're you're seeing that now.
Speaker 3: One guy who got the reps in spring training was Ranger Suarez.
Speaker 1: You know. JT.
Speaker 3: Realmuto said it a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: He said, what's a big difference between you know what you saw from Ranger in the spring. He's like, well, he was there and he competed. So I got a trivia question for you guys. This is in the Phillies notes yesterday and I love this. I think it's Chris Ware and Phillies pr put this one in the notes. Ranger swore his last four starts four and oh zero point three zero ERA. Each of those four games were played in two hours and fifteen minutes or less. He is the first pitcher in baseball Major League Baseball to win four consecutive starts in a game that's two hours and fifteen minutes or less. Since which pitcher you guys know him, knew him. I would say Jim Cott a little bit more recent than Jim Cott.
Speaker 3: I would slip, I would you're warm, You're warm, You're warm. Rubin.
Speaker 5: Is he warm because he's left hander?
Speaker 3: Now he's warm because he's in that era.
Speaker 5: He's in that era. Steve Carlton.
Speaker 6: Royaladay, Roylladay, Royaladay, Royaliday, July September one of the seventeen two thousand and three four straight starts, all under two hours and fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Another guy, another guy I acquired, another guy I acquired.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. I'm posing.
Speaker 5: Do this.
Speaker 4: I'll give it one of these shimmy now that I mean, listen, this staff is just ridiculous. I know, I'm sure we'll hit on some of it, but from top of the bottom, it's just been spectacular.
Speaker 5: I was looking at eight number eighteen, eighteen quality starts, eighteen.
Speaker 7: I've been watching this since and I gotta, you know, I gotta sort of refute the power rankings they came out with this morning that the Phillies were seventh at MLB dot com seventh. I'm like, dude, what is that guy smoking?
Speaker 4: There's no way in the world that this is a seventh the seventh best team in baseball. I mean, right now, they might be number one. They're either one or.
Speaker 1: Two, especially with the pitching.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously Atlanta's you know, playing their asses off too, but I mean, and it's tough to cover some ground, but they're they're up there with them, They're right.
Speaker 1: You know, neck and neck with them because of the of the length and breadth of their rotation.
Speaker 7: Listen to the listening to these numbers on this on this West coast strip. The trip, so Nola went eight inning, seven hits, one walk.
Speaker 1: Ten strikeouts, seventy percent strike rate.
Speaker 4: Suarez eight innings, pitch, three hits, no walks, eight k's sixty seven percent strike rate. And even Walker, who was thrown really well upuntil that one inning he gave, he blew up at the end.
Speaker 1: I mean, Heathron is.
Speaker 4: Still you know, six innings, six and the third innings six and the third innings most players, most starters can't get through the fifth and and uh and ended up you know, ninety pitches, fifty nine strikes, sixty six percent. They're throwing strikes man and and tremendously rate.
Speaker 5: And it's just been dazzling, and it's it's really good that, you know, I mean, you know, it's way too early to talk cy Young, but what the heck we're we're on the uh, we're on the Todd Pods. We've been the rules a little bit. Let's throw it out. If they were to do with the cy Young today, and it's ridiculously early, I admit it. You probably have the winner and the second or third place finisher and Wheeler. As far as Wheeler, I mean, it's it's crazy. But you know, having with Spencer Turnbull pitching so well, now they're gonna give him another start, and it's going to allow them to get Wheeler an extra day, and they're gonna get Nola an extra day, which it has the potential, you know, to pay dividends down the road, sure, down the road September October. And it really helps your rotation because they're all pitching so well.
Speaker 4: Now here, So here, here's some numbers I actually put together. I'm not a numbers guy, but with these numbers, I think it's important. So Wheelers had four straight starts with one hundred plus pitches. Nola's had five straight starts with over with averaging over ninety plus pitches and then Rangers last four starts, he's averaged ninety eight pitches. So for them, and I know most of these guys don't like to get an extra day, especially Wheeler. We've talked about this before, but I think in this sense, I think this is great. It's a great opportunity to just give them a blow. I mean, it's been one month where these guys have been like horsing it. They've been horses and it just gives them like an extra day right there to get them a little bit more you know, a little bit more space and a little bit more rest.
Speaker 5: And what it does is it it sends a message that is not hard to decipher. The message is they were a good club, but we're built to play in October and we are built to conquer October this year. So you know that's what we're what we're investing in. Uh, we're investing in keeping you healthy for October because our expectations and our stakes are that high.
Speaker 4: And not only that, but they're also protecting the top three guys who are going to pitch in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So Taylor, Wheeler, Suarez and Nola are the guys that might be in that order.
Speaker 5: They're getting those two big guys. They're getting those two big guys a little rest early or just saving a bullet early because they're expecting to play that seventh month and go really deep. And those guys are so hugely important. Uh, they're here to win the World Series. That's what that's what the that's what the expectation is, and that's what the stakes are. And it's you know, it's a cliche, but it's it's winning the World Series or a bust for this team. They got the payroll, they got the track records, they got the stars, they got the experience. Now they need to do it.
Speaker 3: Were you guys encouraged with what Walker Walker did yesterday in San Diego? You know, up until that last inning, you know, he threw a lot of.
Speaker 2: Cutters and sinkers, and he said after the game his splitter was bad, so he didn't throw He barely threw any splitters.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's just a one start thing. He didn't have the feel for the pitch.
Speaker 2: But up until that point, you know, all eyes were on him going into that start, right, I mean, can you imagine the reaction if he had given up six runs in the first three innings, it would have been oh my gosh, people back home would have been going bananas. But up until that last thing, I know people are to say, yay, but all the runs count.
Speaker 3: I understand that. But were you guys encouraged.
Speaker 2: That that that he's going to keep pitching well or potentially pitching well going forward.
Speaker 4: I mean, for me, I was surprised. I've actually thought he threw a lot better than I thought he would throw. I honestly, I honestly thought that he was going to struggle more. And the fact that he did not have his best pitch, Literally, his best pitch is a split. I mean, there's no that's no secret, and for him to be able to work around that, not to have a feel for it and actually pitch effectively. He effectively had a quality start until he didn't have a quality start and that last inning and made one bad pitch to a guy who was swinging out of his rear end to try to hit him run, and he threw a fastball basically sinker that sank right back into the middle I mean center cut into the middle of the plate.
Speaker 1: I just felt like.
Speaker 4: I just felt like he threw a lot better than I even expected, honestly, and you know it's going to allow him to continue to pitch, and he pitches like that. If he can throw six innings of three run baseball, oh my goodness, as a number five starter, as.
Speaker 2: The number five starter, right, I think people need to remember that he's probably the number five starter on this steam because you don't need hi go.
Speaker 1: No, he's not. He's not getting paid to be a number five starter, but that doesn't matter. He's a starter on the on the staff.
Speaker 3: And so the money, the money's been paid. It doesn't matter what really fits. As long as he can give you six innings. You know he's getting that money regardless.
Speaker 1: That's correct, that's correct, And he's been he's listened.
Speaker 7: He's benefited from a lot of run support, run.
Speaker 4: Support, and that's fine. But if he can if he can give you six quality innings every time, out, my goodness, there's a whole slew of teams that would love that.
Speaker 5: Definitely something to build on for the for the young man, I mean, definitely something to build on if he's especially if he can separate the first six innings from the going off for the seventh and you can see him wobbling a little bit there. I think they could even get him out of there a batter earlier. But nonetheless, I think he should come out of there with something to feel good about, something to build on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just a little surprised that he didn't, that they didn't have somebody warming and ready that after the first couple of batters, I probably would have taken him out. I don't like like the question Rob Thompson because Rob has done a very very nice job. But in that situation, and Rob talks about it a lot, you know, I want to sort of want to make feel make him feel good about his outing. I know it's a veteran guy, it's not that big of a deal for him, but I bet if it was Christopher Sanchez, he probably would not have started that inning.
Speaker 1: But uh uh. That said that said, I thought I thought.
Speaker 4: Maybe that he might get pulled, that somebody would be ready if he faltered the first couple of hitters. Why put yourself in danger, get him out of there, and like let him have a you know, feel good, feel good about himself moment.
Speaker 2: So the Phillies opening a three game series Monday night in Anaheim. Angels again, another team that the Phillies on paper, should be.
Speaker 1: Able to beat.
Speaker 3: They have lost nine out of their last ten. They've lost four in a row.
Speaker 2: It's Christopher Sanchez Monday Night versus Griffin Canning, right hander. He's one of three at the seven to five o e r A Tuesday, Spencer Turnbull getting another shot, his last start for a while. If they go back to the five man against Tyler Anderson, who's off their pretty decent start, and then the series finale Zach Wheeler versus Patrick Sandoval. This is only the fourth time the Phillies have ever played in Anaheim. Do you know that they have not won a game in Anaheim since two thousand and three. I was not on that two thousand and three trip. I was at the Inquire at the time. That was my first year on the beat. Jim Salisbury covered that series for me and one of my favorite, one of my favorite stories comes from a series I was not at.
Speaker 3: Jim, do you know what I'm talking about? That road trip, that series in the Anaheim?
Speaker 5: I do remember that trip was Yeah, it was good. It was a Monday Tuesday Wednesday series, right, I think so? And so, Yeah, Larry Bow and I banged heads a little bit on that he was managing the team, and I had I had written something during the week that ticked him off. So and I had written it in my Sunday column in the Inquirer. And uh So the team does the clips, all the things that are written about the team and all the newspapers and stuff. They print them out and stay them together. And so Larry they they played a home game on Sunday and Larry took the clips on the plane and apparently he read something that I wrote and he didn't like. And, as John Vukovich later told me, like steam was coming out of his ears for five hours.
Speaker 1: You had that you had effect on people.
Speaker 5: You did a few times too, Joe.
Speaker 1: Let's just have you now what's that You did that to me a few times too.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so he had about five hours of steam coming. So I walked in the clubhouse the next day and John Vukovic, who we all loved dearly, gave me a little heads up. I actually thought he was kidna at first. He said, hey, watch it, he's he's waiting on you, and I'm like, so I stepped in the office and he unloads on me. Peter Pascarelli was there, and Peter's an old hardened ball rider, and he was shaking. This is how mad Larry was. He had vain sticking out of all parts of his head as he's screaming and yelling at me. And then he tried to he kind of came at me. I thought he was gonna punch me, but he was trying to like slam the door in my face and get me out of his office because he was sick of looking at me. So there was a rubber stopper and there he couldn't get the rubber stopper out, so he just blew up and throws me out of his office. And so they were kind of a cold war for two days in Anaheim. And he gave you the breeze. I got some freeze. He got the breed evil looks, and you know, meanwhile Vukevich is over there laughing, you know, but Larry was really upset at me. So the third day I come in the clubhouse and I kind of poked my head in the office and we decided, you know, as old baseball people do, and you clear the air, which and it's over. So we we had a little talk and we cleared the air. He saw where I was coming from. I saw where he was coming from, and it was kind of it was kind of all good. And and Vukevich comes down the hallway and pokes his head in and uh, he says, I just want to make sure everything's all right here. Larry pats me on the bank, goes tough love. I'm tough love straightening them out, and uh. As I'm walking out of the room. This was a Wednesday, Thursdays and off day. As I'm walking out of Larry's office, he goes, make sure you're in Cincinnati Friday night. I'm leading off of BRAU because at that time there was this debate that had this monstrous on base percentage and there was a lot of people wanting to hit lead off n O three. And he says, I make sure in Cincinnati Friday, then I'm gonna lead off a breo. So I'm like, hmm. So he went from wanting to kill me to dropping a story in my lap. And so I had off Days story. I wrote like I kind of knew, like you know, to couch it a little bit, but I wrote, you know, been rumored for a while and talked about for a while, but don't be surprised. At Friday Night, Larry bau leads off Bobby A Bray and I and they went into Cincinnati and sure enough, Bobby Abrao led off and they got beat fifteen to one. He did well so so that he got off like five games and that was it.
Speaker 1: And that brings up that brings up the other story. The other story.
Speaker 4: Part of that is that I don't think he ever told Bobby a Bray who was going to lead him off. He didn't have that discussion with him, and he was sort of taken by surprise, and that was like it was a thing because he had not been necessarily promised that I get.
Speaker 1: The thought was he was promised to be the three hole hitter and.
Speaker 4: That's not really I mean, that's where Bobby was used to hitting, that's where he wanted to hit, and uh, and there was a lot of pride in that. But I don't think bo ever literally talk to him about it. I don't even know that he mentioned it to him and all of a sudden boom, Yeah, it's great that he talked to you about because I'm not sure if.
Speaker 1: He told Bobby. He let him know.
Speaker 3: He let him know through the inquiry the off the inquir story.
Speaker 5: There you go. So that was that's great ballpark. You played in that ballpark as a rookie, Rubin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sure did.
Speaker 4: And I mean it's gone through a whole slew of transformations and changes, much much prettier now than it was back then. But yeah, that's when I got my very first my debut. I was pinch running for Dave Parker. Dave Parker let off, Dave Parker let off with a rocket to write.
Speaker 1: We were down by a run.
Speaker 4: And this is actually it's an interesting story. I mean, you want to hear their story because it's kind of funny. The Dave Parker, Dave Parker, it's a bullet to right. I come in to pinch ront my very first I literally could not feel my feet on the ground. I could not feel when I came out of the dugout. I couldn't feel my feet. They bumped me over to second base sacrifice moved me over. I think it was Dick Schofielder, whoever it was, but moved me over. I'm at second they almost slid past the bag. I never knew how like you know, the ground in Major League Baseball was. And I almost slid past the bag. Next guy hits like a hump back line drive that Henneman was against Detroit. Henneman almost catches, and so I have to freeze on it. I can't score because Gary Pettis is the center fielder. It's first and third, one out. Next guy is Max Ventable.
Speaker 1: And he hits an absolute rocket for a double play, and we lose the game.
Speaker 4: I get one of my coaches come up to me afterwards and goes, you know, you know, do you think they remember you if you got doubled off in that situation, or if you.
Speaker 1: If I got doubled off, I would have been crucified. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: And it's like he was sort of blaming me for not for freezing on the line drive and not scoring on a base to center field because it wasn't hit all that well, but Henneman like flagged at it and almost almost caught it. So I froze and then it went to third base, so Bobby Kanopp could not score me. And then Venable hits a bullet the second base first, four to sixty three, and.
Speaker 1: The game's over. Do you know that that was Jeter Hines?
Speaker 4: So Jeter Hines was one of my coaches in the minor leagues, and he came up to me and said, like like, he told me I made a base running mistake.
Speaker 1: Do you know that?
Speaker 4: Literally twenty years later, twenty years later after that play, I saw him.
Speaker 1: I was a GM. Then I go to LA and he's working for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He came up to me. To his credit, this is not a lie. He came up to me and said, you know, I have something to apologize to you about. Wow, So what is it?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 1: He said, you know, I told you you.
Speaker 4: Made a mister to base running mistake, and I have not slept thinking about that play for like twenty years. He said, you absolutely made the right base running play.
Speaker 1: And we were so pissed off that.
Speaker 4: You couldn't score on that play and now rightfully so, and that we lost that game because of the next hitter hit a double play to end the game, that we had to find somebody to blame, and for some reason we blamed you. And the reality of it was that I and I knew in my heart of hearts, you know, when you're a rookie, you know you don't you're sort of you know, you don't want to make any mistakes, you know. It's a little well for him to have done that and to come to me and apologize to me about it. I swear to God because I thought that about that for years. That was my very first appearance as a major league player. And then for them to come to me after the game and tell me I screwed it up when I was actually a pretty good base runner generally, and that was sort of one of the things I did well as a as a minor league player and and and as an eventual major league player. For them to for him to find for them to first of all blame me for a play that was not to be blamed for.
Speaker 1: That may that hurt for a long time. And for him to have apologized later on about that, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 5: I was amazed. I couldn't even believe that he remembered the play.
Speaker 1: I couldn't even be and and for him to have done that was was actually really cool.
Speaker 5: That's a great I gotta I gotta tell this story. So you mentioned Max Venable. Yeah, so a few years ago, the Phillies bring in his son Will Venable for late a late spring training yea try out I don't know what you call it, minor league contract. He's gonna he's gonna come in for a week to see if you make the team.
Speaker 1: So how dare you, Jim, I gotta tell this, how dare you?
Speaker 5: So they signed Will and and I'm talking to Todd like an hour later, and he goes, they signed Will Vetable. I go, it's He goes, what I said, it's pronounced. It's spelt v E n A b l A. And he's like, he goes, I thought it was Vetable. I said, no, it's it's it's Vanoble. He goes, Really, I never knew that. So now the day our day go this is he goes on. We're up in the press box, in and out of the clubhouse. We're finally gonna at like four thirty, we're gonna meet with Pete mccannon. They signed the guy at nine in the morning. I was four thirty and we're gonna talk to Pete mccannon. And we're down the left field line in clear Water and Tots Todd says, uh, what are your plans for.
Speaker 1: What? He looks at him like he's.
Speaker 5: Got ten heads. Henobly his name is Venable. I immediately turn a Jim. I'm like, I am gonna murder you.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 5: I didn't know about that one. That's so good, the little things you do to keep your sanity on a baseball beat.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's great.
Speaker 3: Man, that's a great way to end it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Well, thanks everybody for listening.
Speaker 3: We will be back with you later this week.