Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and that's what you really miss podcasts. Hi, Kevin, Hey, Jenna, did I say that correctly?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Janna for you? Okay.
Speaker 1: Heaven likes to say my name with his Texas at Jena.
Speaker 2: You were with my whole family other day and my brother said he does.
Speaker 1: I'm just so used to it that if you call me differently then you call me Jenna. It sounds weird at this point.
Speaker 2: I just I really cannot hear the difference, and that's so disconcerting. Jenna.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like it, Okay, Jenna, that's right, like waitress. Okay, here you go. This is season four, episode sixteen, and this is Feud. It aired on March fourteen, twenty thirteen. And uh, it's definitely not March fourteenth here. It's just really hot here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Climate change is really get into the valley, oh man.
Speaker 1: Okay. In the news, the number one song was Harlem Shake Again by Bower.
Speaker 2: The number one movie I was just thinking about this movie, yes to you why. The number one movie was Oz The Great and Powerful starring James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weiss, Smila Kunez, Zach Braf. Because Austin and I have started reading Wicked.
Speaker 1: What a great time to read Wicked.
Speaker 2: Yes, he started reading it and he's like, this is really good. You should start reading it with me. So I started, and I thought about this movie because there was mention of somebody's going to show up in a balloon, and it just made me think of the trailers for this movie. I never saw the movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just fully into the lore of the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: And now I kind of want to be a completist.
Speaker 1: And watch this and read that, read.
Speaker 2: Watch everything because I'm fully in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that, I get that. I support you on that journey.
Speaker 2: I feel like I remember this movie not being good or something. Maybe I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I agree it didn't look like Wicked looks well, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Also, people may already know this, but we'll talk about it later. But Austin as a theory the Wicked musical stage adaptation from the.
Speaker 1: Book interesting, Okay, we can talk about that.
Speaker 2: But it's great. You should start reading the book too.
Speaker 1: I don't have time to read a book right now. I just want to say, in all your freedom, I actually want to read John Choo's memoir first before.
Speaker 2: I have it. I bought it.
Speaker 1: Great, I'll borrow it from you when you're done.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: I need to buy I just should buy it just to support. Okay, so we are actually rewatching Game of Thrones right now, and not in a very intentional or purposeful way. We just kind of put it on and we put it on the first season and you're like, oh, well, let's just keep watching because it's so good. But Glee News this week. On March eighteenth, Jenna and Kevin attended the premiere of the season three Game of Thrones at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. For some reason, we decided to dress like fools. I know we call ourselves clowns and fools all the time, but this is truly a moment not to be missed. You should google it. Jenna and Kevin Game of Thrones premiere. For some reason, they Game of Thrones like HBO sent you a house McHale, like a really cool pr package. I didn't get that. But I'm wearing something that I feel like is contesting your shirt and it's I'm wearing prints, I'm wearing different materials. I don't know what's happening here, but it's just it's something not to be missed, is really what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think what we were trying to do was wear a lot of animal just animal.
Speaker 1: So like leather and faux fur or faux leather, faux for things.
Speaker 2: Yes, because that's what they would do in Game of Thrones. Our version of it has absolutely not no similarities to the actual costume. It's not. But how exciting was it to be there?
Speaker 1: That was one of the coolest. I actually remember when we went to Comic Con for the first time, or maybe this is the second time, and we were staying in this hotel in downtown San Diego and we were getting ready to go to a panel and we saw Rob Stark. Yes, yes, Richard Richard Madden and we were and we were very starstruck, and we didn't say hi. We hid and we stared at him creepily.
Speaker 2: From a couple months later though, we did talk to him.
Speaker 1: We did, and we're obsessed with we were obsessed with Game of Thrones at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was a full love affair. We did not miss an episode. We'd watch together every weekend.
Speaker 1: It was a Sunday night affair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, I mean, do you remember even season? Was it four? Or five? For my birthday, I had everyone over to watch the season finale. I won't say what happened for anyone who does hasn't watched the show yet. It was a really bad choice to have people over to watch that episode.
Speaker 1: Yes it was.
Speaker 2: It was bad, but we were so lucky to get to go to the premiere of season three, the same season I had the Red Wedding. We had no idea, we didn't know.
Speaker 1: All right. So this was directed by Brad Baker, written by Roberto Agiersakoffa. There were a lot of duets.
Speaker 2: So many duets. Love a duet, though, love a duet, But do you love these duets, Jenna, that's the question, that's the question. This is a silly episode.
Speaker 1: It is a filler episode, transition episode. Not my favorite episode. But there's some stuff that I find better highlights, so we'll talk about it. So there's how to Be a Heartbreaker performed by Brody and Rachel.
Speaker 2: There's the Bitches back Slash Dress You Up by Elton John and Madonna I Writer and Unique.
Speaker 1: Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul performer Santana.
Speaker 2: Bye Bye Bye. I went it that way, mashup in sink backs. You boys, it's Will and Finn and the New Direction boys.
Speaker 1: We did just say in our last Q and A that we wanted more boy bands. That's right. I still believe super bass. And this was Blaine and Sue and that was the Mariah Carey version with the Nicki Minaj version.
Speaker 2: I mean wild times yes, and then closer by Tiagan and Sarah performed the New Directions, which I think we got because Corey wanted right.
Speaker 1: Yep, they're Canadian, they are buddies. Got it on the show. It was thrilling and I like that number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great song.
Speaker 1: So Brittany sound In this episode, Brittany is absent for the first time since her introduction since show me this isn't that crazy, that's wild?
Speaker 2: But does it why?
Speaker 1: I think and maybe you can tell me you remembers correctly. She was pregnant at this point.
Speaker 2: That's when I had my sixth sense about someone being pregnant.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. And she was pregnant with her first kid, and I think she got some time off because of it. This is a first for us. One of our cast members main cast members was pregnant, but I don't remember exactly if that was the reason why, But that makes sense. Yeah, it does because by the end of this season, which we're almost there, she's very pregnant.
Speaker 2: At this point in the series, she is tied with Finn and Rachel for appearing in the third most number of episodes, behind Artie and Tina. Wow, at eighty two and eighty one. I didn't know that. Kevin look at.
Speaker 1: Us, really, I guess so because we're a McKinley and so like like the you know, the Ambers and the everybody like kind of started to trail back a little. Wow.
Speaker 2: That makes sense that you only missed Michael, right right, You and.
Speaker 1: I would have been tied at ay two had had I No, I missed the Spanish teacher, the one after Michael. I was in most of Michael. That's right, correct, correct? Yes, this is the last time Will sings in season four. Crazy.
Speaker 2: This is the episode Jane submitted to the Emmys, which earned her nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. It was her third nomination.
Speaker 1: Go off, Jane go off. When Ryder mentions that they're going to be the ones in charge when the others graduate, he never mentions Joe Sugar damn.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's brutal. This is the first time and only time two mashup episodes happened in the same season. WHOA, I really love a mashup. I do wonder what the culturals magnificance is of Glee doing mashups, Like how prevalent was it before right versus after?
Speaker 1: Before Glee and after Glee. I will say I love a mashup as well, that it's done really well. I don't think that we should do them all the time because I think they get a little tired and they don't really mesh together. I will say some of the things were good. Some of these were good, some of them are not.
Speaker 2: Okay. So in this episode, the students give Will and fin an assignment to work out the tension between them. Meanwhile, Santana is suspicious about Brodie's side job. Can we talk about New York?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about New York.
Speaker 2: I am loving how they're writing Santana. Look, I know we complain sometimes about the characters being written like us as real people, but something has happened and to how they're writing Santana in New York and it's fully Nya and selfishly, I'm just enjoying watching.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good, Naya Nya, so good. It's so good. It's like the it's the trio we were waiting for in New York. Like ye, first it was just Rachel, which was interesting, and then you added Kurt, which made it even more interesting with him at Vogue, and then you add Santana and you're like, yes, oh the band is back, and they are.
Speaker 2: It's a fiary and it's like you have like three of the best I think actors and performers on the show agree altogether in every scene and it's electric to watch now, and I think they're all better because of it. I was like, Naya is what Naya is doing is also like stepped up, like all her little her physical comedy is so good in this episode, like little things she's doing.
Speaker 1: It's it's so good, and I think it's just refreshing to see them in a different setting all together, like they're all in the same place, but yet we they've known each other for a really long time, so they can like I don't know, it's probably new energy to for them, Like.
Speaker 2: I think that's what. It seems like. They're having so much fun.
Speaker 1: It's really good. I'm really here for it.
Speaker 2: It feels different, and I get why people wanted to just like Own New York should just be its own show because it's so compelling, Like you absolutely could just watch them.
Speaker 1: No, totally, Now, Rachel, we find out is not pregnant. It was a false alarm.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, we now have like almost two episodes talking about this, like an episode and a change and some change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: She just walks out into the waiting room and it's.
Speaker 1: Just like Parenheit essentially.
Speaker 2: Can I go to class now?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? What?
Speaker 1: Well? Exactly, and Santana says exactly what we're all thinking. Wait a second, hold up, And I'm like, wait, hold up. As abuse is wild that her as a character was just going to it was it really was. But Santana thinks that this needs to be wake up well for her and on like how she's living her life, which is funny. And Santana is still stuck on this whole thing because she doesn't trust Brody, so she is still.
Speaker 2: Fishing and it's becoming a problem.
Speaker 1: It will become a problem.
Speaker 2: Santana is like really on one in this episode, to the point where they have that whole conversation where like like, girl, you you gotta go, You got to move out, or you have to stop doing this, and she picks up her ship.
Speaker 1: Which has already packed for her by the way, and she takes she picks it up with the comforter and the the pillow and literally throws the suitcase or like kicks the suitcase.
Speaker 2: Randa Delna Dunham and she said, I could crash there anytime. I just don't know what's going on. I know I'm a broken record. But like Nya, like last episode, this episode and next episode, she's so funny.
Speaker 1: It's like they're a lot looser. Yes, well, like it's a looser kind of feel, which like it's freedom a little bit.
Speaker 2: It feels like a sitcom in a good way, like me in like a positive like I don't.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with you. Everybody's just a little bit looser, a little bit bigger a little bit.
Speaker 2: And it feels like First and Leah were even ad living, like I think she just took my comforter ye, like it feels ad lib.
Speaker 1: It feels like yeah.
Speaker 2: But so before that she goes she actually confronts Brody at school, and that's what I alway skipped ahead, but I just love that scene so much. But going back a little bit, she does this number at school confronting Brody, which of course then Rachel finds out about, and it's like, girl, you can't be going into our school that you do not go to and doing a full performance, which was so good with all the dancers, with all the shout out to Ashley is in that number.
Speaker 1: Yes, but like really good, really great number, very sexy. Love that number?
Speaker 2: Did you and I I could do the splits?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I knew that, you know, I actually did think I know that. I think she pulled those out at parties like party tricks.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that. That was shocking to me. Really yeah, but she was dancing, she was sanging. I loved that number.
Speaker 1: She was great. And Brody and Rachel do how to be a heartbreaker, which was supposed to be I believe the Roxanne number that Brody was supposed to get in the prior episode but our previous episode, but it turned into this one, which I was glad it did. It's a great montage. I think it shot really well. That's the Biltmore in Los Angeles. You see that hotel a lot in a lot of TV, a lot of films. But yeah, they do this great, great duo and he we find out that he is a.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember watching this and the screenings at lunch, but for some reason this number stuck out to me and I remember the screening and because I was losing it, I was like this, the scope of this number feels so much bigger than like what we would normally do. Like we always say, oh, we're shooting you know, four to seven music videos every episode, but a lot of them happen either in a hallway like in single locations. This felt like an actual music video. You have all that sterile choreo, you have the shutter choreo, and with the lighting, you have that whole sort of like ballroom esque scene and the lobby. It was a really gigantic That must have been a full day to shoot that one number and it looks and incredible. It's crazy that this is a TV show, Like, this is not a movie. This isn't something they could shoot over a week or two. This is something they probably shot in one day. Yeah, and it's so impressive. Everybody is so good and I completely just remember being flabbergacid and going up to Brad and Joaquin after being like, you guys are insane. How did you do that?
Speaker 1: Watched this with Dean too. I feel like we didn't get to spend a lot of time with him, but there was one lunch and maybe it was the screening that I had that you have in your mind that we sat with him and watched this finally.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was very impressive. He was great in it.
Speaker 1: Because he was shooting the next episode, which happens more in our world, right, So yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, so yeah, I think that's right. No, you're right. It was a huge, huge production and I really loved it.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about the storyline that he's a sex worker?
Speaker 1: It feels a little far fetched to me, but it's like it gets us out of that this storyline pretty quickly, Like the arc happens really fast, so I get it. I don't know, it feels a little far fetched for me. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I think I like it more now than I did then. I think, like I even have I have a friend who I've met since the show who actually ended up doing that to put himself through college in New York. So poor. Yeah, that's so interesting, And I also think it's something where like these kids are pretty sheltered coming from Lima. And I also think the way we looked at sex work back then is very different to how we look at it now, even as you can see in this episode, just the vocabulary we're using is different. I think it's another one of those instances where either intentionally or unintentionally, we're talking about things that are regularly talked about now and and sort of like getting through the weeds on how to handle it correctly or not. But it's like another subject we're just bringing up that's sort of controversial. But I think it's good for these like Lima kids to sort of be confronted with a lifestyle that's very different than their sort of protected lives, and to have Santana be the one who also like came from a less sheltered life. I would say, in Mama, to be the one to like sniff it out that something was going on just seems right. And I think like Brody's reasoning for why he's doing it makes sense, and I also think like the performance that he's giving through it makes sense. It's like, well, you're in the big city, girl, Like, there's a lot of different types of people here.
Speaker 3: For sure, So you make a good point, make a good point. That's something that I came across. So it felt a little far batch. But if you know somebody like that, it's much easier for you to attach and resonate with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this could actually be the case.
Speaker 2: Because I think back then it felt like, oh, this is very TV right, like it's sort of soapy, like it's very far fetched and like funny and a way out. But watching it now, I'm like, huh, this actually feels very different to me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Santana doesn't give up obviously, instead of saying I'm gonna sure, you know what, I need a place to stay, she gets her shit and leaves, and then we have maybe my favorite moment of the entire episode, which is Brody coming into well at some point, So Santana steals Brodie's pager and then we have s Hannah waiting for him for this reveal right where he Brodie's coming into the hotel room at the same hotel, and then the woman on the bed turns her head and it's Nia's shit eating grin.
Speaker 1: I saw it, lost it, lost it so good, so good, it's.
Speaker 2: So funny, unbelievable. Her performance just in these few lines here is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's it's perfect, it's perfect, like.
Speaker 2: She was really tapped into something here.
Speaker 1: Yes, she absolutely was, this whole storyline for her, I think. On the other side of it, yeah, it's very Nicae. She's relentless when she wants to find out a secret, and then also like she was right, so like she feels validated and she feels you know what I mean, she's justified, and it's like, ah.
Speaker 2: It's also not easy to obviously she's not playing fully herself, but there's a lot of Naya and this current Santana, like we've been saying, and it's not easy to do that, I think, because you still want to find like what the differences are. You always bring yourself to a character, but there needs to be I think, some sort of separation between you and a character, and the it really is like sort of all the best parts in sensibilities, yes exactly, and oh yeah, no, she's still fully.
Speaker 1: Santana here, but it's definitely this is the point in the show where you're on a show for six years, you and your character start to matt in some ways, especially in our shows, but you know there's other shows where that doesn't happen at all.
Speaker 2: I also don't know if I realized at the time or appreciated how like good of a comedic actress she was. I knew she was extremely talented, gifted at acting and singing and performing right, but like watching what's happening now as just her as a comedic genius. Yeah, her timing is unbelievable, Like, oh yeah, I forgot that she had been doing this since she was like three years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her delory is a plus.
Speaker 2: Bus And this whole thing about having just sort of like getting him in the room, leaving being like you can talk to Finn, and Finn comes out of the bathroom and then beats the shit out of Brody.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite part of the whole episode is Finn coming out of the bathroom.
Speaker 2: This scene is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this scene is perfect. She's like, and then Finn comes out and he really he takes a swing at Brody, and I'm this is like, this is the clever Quory that you don't see a lot, like the kind of nigh smile Corey Finn that we don't see a lot in Finn. He gets frustrated and goofy and kind of larger than life. But this is very I was a little bit more heavy, and I just thought bringing Finn into this was brilliant writing. It's everything that an audience, or as a lover of life Finchel of a ship or of Finchrol, everything you could.
Speaker 2: Hope for satisfying.
Speaker 1: Ough, I was like, this is Glee, this is what brings people back every week. I am hooked, I'm in Like it just made me love the show all over again. I was thrilled.
Speaker 2: It goes back to sort of what Santana was saying last episode in this episode, where it's like, look, I know it can be difficult, but I don't like you most of the time, but like we're family, and it's nice to see these Glee characters, all from a small town, still depend on each other and show up for each other no matter what, and even with the fallout of this whole thing, there's that mutual respect for each other of like we're gonna be honest with each other. We're gonna call each other out, but we're still we're gonna show up for each other when we need to. And and how romantic. I know, Like, yes, beating someone out is not great. Beating someone out because he's a sex worker not great. I think you know it's because he was lying. But but Finn, Finn showing up for Rachel and saying calling Rachel his future wife, that is television.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's finance.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: I was thrilled. So he tells him to like go away, He's going to disappear, leave no raices and bye bye. And it's just the most It truly isn't a satisfying thing. But back in at McKinley, there's a lot of stuff happening, a lot of feuds happening over there as.
Speaker 2: Well, and a lot of seeds being planted for storylines for the rest of the season. We have this writer storyline.
Speaker 1: Oh god, we forgot about this.
Speaker 2: With the catfish. I forgot about it too, and it started happening. I was like, wait a second, we didn't know.
Speaker 1: Who the catfish was. Just for the record.
Speaker 2: None of us knew until we got the script where it's reviewed out, Yeah, do you think they knew?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they knew.
Speaker 2: I think they knew.
Speaker 1: I think you have to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watching it now, it's very obvious.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, you have to know when you're writing for the person who's a pressure. Right, So Unique conference writer about Marley. But that turns into a whole thing where writers refusing to say that Unique is a girl, which I don't know. It's like it was troubling to me. It also wasn't something that I had expected from writer. But I guess this is where we're going with this writer.
Speaker 2: Ends up being this guy. There's a couple of topics that come up in future episodes or like writer ends up being the vehicle and which to it's surprising, yes, that he's the guy.
Speaker 1: It's almost like Corey like Finn when he calls Kurt that word, like it's just you need need somebody to be a bad guy at some point, right, or to be the vehicle like you said.
Speaker 2: And it also was like very it feels very of the time and which I mean even still now in which trying to figure out how to talk about this yeah, and talk about it from a perspective of in a way in which a lot of people thought they understood it at the time, right where now I think we're much better equipped obviously not fully equipped, but much better equipped to understanding the transc community and transgender rights and equality and liberties and all that. Back then, I do not think that was something that was talked about in the mainstream at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And so it's like through the writer character, you are having this sort of ignorant conversation that needs to happen because, like people were watching the show, you have kids with their parents, with their grandparents watching this show. It's multi generational, and so like everybody sort of learning together, and you have characters being wrong, and you have characters being messy and stumbling through this. Not just Writer, but there's a number of us who who did these sorts of things with complicated topics. And I feel like Glee sort of held your hand through learning about it's okay to not understand this other point of view or this other person's life, right, but we're still going to accept this person. And this is another instance and another vehicle to do that. And it was it was very interesting watching it because it does it definitely felt of a different era.
Speaker 1: Oh, it definitely, that's a different error. It also felt though to me, like this was part of a storyline versus something that was justified by writer. But again, I see what you're saying, and like there had to be somebody to do it, So there is somebody had to do it.
Speaker 2: It felt out of character. It felt surprising that it was writer for sure, but like.
Speaker 1: Who else, right, we can't have a bully come in and do it and not have a just you know, have a storyline to go with it. It just doesn't do it justice either. So yeah, here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have somebody who's ingrained in your social circles, then it means more and it's more challenging to challenge that person and.
Speaker 1: Who you thought was a friend, somebody close to you, right.
Speaker 2: Right, that's also the word is friend.
Speaker 1: Idiot. So we find Writer now is talking to this girl online at a computer. We'll see this throughout a few episodes, but he's chatting with his new online friend Katie out of nowhere. Came from nowhere, But we don't know who Katie is. She has a face in the show, which has a voice in the show is like the actor, but we don't actually know if that's Katie or who Katie is or how they met. But they go on this messaging they're on the messanging site and he's telling writers, telling Katie about his running with Unique, and Katie's like, well, you should challenge them to a duel or to a challenge, you know, to and challenge them to a feud battle. I guess if you will to work it out through song. So what do they do? They do it through song. The Bitch is Back Dressed You Up by and Elton Madonna. What did you think about this number?
Speaker 2: I thought it was a really good mashup. I was totally in for this mashup. I think this works. I was like even more of writer being the new fan. He's on the drums, yes, wild.
Speaker 1: Yes, literally, but performance is great, great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's My parents are visiting and they watched with me and they were just like, oh, they're so good. I was like, you know, we just keep saying on the podcast too, is that we loved all of those new kids and like the energy they brought so interesting here. They breathed new life into it and I think you feel that and you see that and their performance and like our reaction to it because they're so good. But this performance was great and watching them this whole episode deal like have their own little scenes together totally, it was so nice.
Speaker 1: And this was like the first time we saw that, like the group and acknowledging like they're the next class essentially, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: But at the end of this Writer still is like, I don't know, like I'm still gonna be an asshole, which happens a lot in the feuds. Actually in this episode, like the duets do not solve anything, right, No, I know, but you know, writers still taking a minute to realize what's going on. And then he goes back to Katie and the computer and is like, well, here's what happened. Here's the update, and he asks to see Katie in person, and then Katie ghosts.
Speaker 1: Katie is now offline.
Speaker 2: And he looks around. I did like the part of like Kim being the library. Also, how funny you have to like message online in the library, like you can't be texting on the phone on He does it one point though, maybe but in the library, And I like that he's looking around to see if it's somebody who's there and it's just the library.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Another few that's happening is Sue and Blaine. So we find Sue and Blaine in her office, where we learned that Blaine apparently signed a contract, a very forged contract that he has to be on the Cheerios team. Is also randomly there for about.
Speaker 2: That was great. I thought, I love that, very funny.
Speaker 1: That's just wherever Blaine is these days, because they did join the Cheerios together to be fair, So.
Speaker 2: I also love that they brought that back. I love that they talked about it. They brought it back, and Sue is on some crazy tear.
Speaker 1: We did need another yes, we did, and we needed another feud. So we have a few with Sue and a blade. Yeah, she's on a chair.
Speaker 2: She's fully got the Glee Club gossip because she keeps calling you a hag.
Speaker 1: I think the whole school good. To be honest, I think the whole school.
Speaker 2: I sort of love it. I sort of love you.
Speaker 1: Go find a new boyfriend. Maybe Lance Pass is available for roofball, so good. Well, she blackmails him.
Speaker 2: She puts cement in his hair, Joe, which was also hilarious.
Speaker 1: She takes out like credit cards in his name credit Yeah only for seven years, but that's what that catapults their feud into a musical, a musical flute feud. I will never forget us shooting Superbass in on a Saturday. It was a Saturday shout out on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: You remember every Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget a Saturday because it made me so angry to work on a Saturday, and they did uh super Bass. I still believe now I love I still believe. I love my Carrie. I don't love Superbass all that much. Do I think Jane did an incredible job in this number? She was outrageous hilarious. Yes. Do I like this mashup? No? Did I like watching all of our friends the Cheerios perform Superbass? Yes? Absolutely, it was joyful. But did I think this particular mashup was something that I would listen to again? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, watching Jane perform this was one of the highlights of them.
Speaker 1: I mean when she came in the room in that costume and then they did the black light in the rehearsal. My job was on the ground.
Speaker 2: And they had this all worked out so they could have done this all in one take sort of thing, like it was the full performance. It wasn't just choreographed to be pieces shot differently. She could do the entire thing all the way through, and that's a lot of lyrics. Like I listened to Nikki, I knew superbas already. I don't imagine Jane was somebody who was overly familiar with Niki as I was right, and it was very impressive and it was so much fun. Yeah, I like both of these songs separately. I do not think it really works as a mashup, but who cares?
Speaker 1: Like what.
Speaker 2: I felt like two separate songs anyway, Like yes, yeah, and I also liked I feel like normally englely, if somebody was in Blaine's position, he would have just still still been singing, like unaffected by what Sue was doing. And he's so clearly real about it about which is I think very what Darren brings to a character, just like we have to acknowledge how absurd this is. Yes, we can't pretend this isn't happening. She's on a mini bike and there's confetti and that number diabolical.
Speaker 1: Yes that's right, but like great Jane obviously was nominated for an Emmy. It's crazy, it's good numbers that are just yeah, there it's satire.
Speaker 2: And then because of the Jane clearly wins the battle, and so you have Blaine back in the office where Becky kisses Blaine. Wild is also on one's episode. Yes, scream pretty usual. She always is, I need more, Becky. Actually, I feel like there hasn't been enough now I know, and I did not remember this, mm so what Blaine fully commits himself to the cheerios right, and then walks out and meets up with Sam and is like, and then we're gonna bring her down from the inside.
Speaker 1: So good, totally for the plot thickens so good. Who's in it?
Speaker 2: I like, you know, I like a little twist. Yes, secret planning secrets. I love secrets.
Speaker 1: We love secrets. Yes, I totally agree. I'm more blam anytime.
Speaker 2: I love Blam. And also like, you're in the picture.
Speaker 1: It's funny. The other few that is happening, which is an important one obviously because it's the most it feels like the most justified feud of the through line that Finn has kissed Emma. He has refilled this to Will. Will is now so very angry with Finn, and he gives them an assignment because obviously, like we feel the tension between them.
Speaker 2: So the kids flip the script where like you have to do we do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we give the assignment. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a lot of fun scenes like that, Like I remember like doing the scene like mediating between Unique and writer and then doing this scene which felt really funny and then yeah and felt different from you know, what we would normally be doing.
Speaker 1: And yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: I think you can feel that we're all just being a little goofy.
Speaker 1: Also, the kids spring more mature than mister Shoe, yes, and.
Speaker 2: Like, which leads to them in the auditorium being like, let's do this, like let's talk about this, and it's sort of like mask off, gloves off. Then they have they're trying to figure out, Oh my god. Will's first suggestion was Biggie and Tupac of like please please spare us, don't do not know, although I would like to hear that, not from them, but I would look to hear that.
Speaker 1: Of like the real songs, yes exactly, that's yeah, yeah, yeah, please spare us. I'm glad we did this. This feels more fitting for everybody. Yes, it's it's insanc in backty boys. Everything that we could have hoped for. Now, I'm curious to hear how you felt about this, because I feel like I didn't hear either song in this mashup. And that's not a fault of our music amazing music producers. I think it's just the two songs and trying to get them to fit together and work. But I feel like I didn't hear either song.
Speaker 2: I think it's not a good mashup.
Speaker 1: Says where like, yeah, there's ones that fit and ones that don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're you're putting a ballad and mashing it up with an up tempo song like Bye Bye Bye, and it's it was weird. I liked having it. Also felt like every time I cut to the backsheet Boys section, like we weren't really doing a lot of movement, Like it sort of like looked like we were watching Bye Bye Bye happening.
Speaker 1: There weren't a lot of dancers in that they put. They obviously had to put Jacob and Matt and Darren in the strings because that was the more coordination you needed for that particular thing, which I remember they were like bungee chords kind of right. But then you you know, Corey's the lead on that who is obviously not a dancer. We know this, we love him for it. But like in sync, it is dance. They're coordinated, they are together, they are in sync. So to be fair, it was semi choreographed, semi freeform rock out also coord God love them too, like but they're just not like boyband dancers.
Speaker 2: No, it's also it's about it's like what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Exactly? They're standing in an airport hangar in the real video like, I'm sorry, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I also think both of those songs are so good that selfishly because you know, and I'm sure you agree, because we grew up on these boy bands, like I want them to have their own moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed, we could have. They each could have had their own moment. A lot of moms in the show show, but we didn't get a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I will say Corey and Matt sounded fantastic. Yes, And the girls running up to the stage like doing the whole boy band thing. I love, just like the Justin Bieber experience.
Speaker 1: Love that very fun, very very fun. And I loved watching them shoot this because of the the bye bye bye and the whole yeah thing, you know what I mean. It was like, yes, we're recreating this, we have to recreate this.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, like how because it keeps happening where like we get to do a song that I've really wanted to happen on the show, and then you know it happened with you too all the time where there would be songs on the show and you're like, I wish I could do that all the time, but then it does. It feels so silly and like he feels so ungrateful, like everybody.
Speaker 1: On the show felt that though, Yeah, right, Like we all love numbers and we're like, well, our character's not doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like you know karaoke and somebody seals your karaoke.
Speaker 1: Song like a good song.
Speaker 2: Damn it. I wish I could do it, but it's not like it's not going to be done well, right.
Speaker 1: But I also like the whole montage of like, uh, like the dream sequence of them fighting. It's like what would have happened in their minds or in there.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of and I think it was because Beaker was directing a lot of editing choices that we've never done before. Even though that's what you really missed on Glee. Thing in the beginning was completely different.
Speaker 1: He always had the ability to like see that and make it happen in the right time. Like his camera work was as different, and like he just tried new things that I think some people were not privy to or Dee the DP was like, no, we don't have time for that. But yeah, speaker, kudos to beer. Oh it is just the best, the.
Speaker 2: Best, and so everyone's they don't really work it out.
Speaker 1: He really works it out.
Speaker 2: No, but at the end of the day, everyone gets a little closer, I guess.
Speaker 1: So in a free form rockout number that literally did you see me try to get up on the the thing?
Speaker 2: Did you see that? Nobody knew the lyrics?
Speaker 1: Oh no, we nobody knew the song obviously because he and Sarah were not very widely known at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean, we should have known.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would of not.
Speaker 2: I fully, we're Melissa's not saying the right words. You and I turn our faces away several times in the camera.
Speaker 1: This was a very last minute and there was no choreography at all. Like it was very clear.
Speaker 2: This felt like the first number ever that they really were just like, go for it. The entrances, yeah, because there was there was absolutely nothing happening, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: It works, it happens. Yeah, huge show. He was so excited to get this on the show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I liked watching everybody interact with each other, like he's not everything, He's to be a choreographed moment. There's a lot of choreography earlier in the episode. There's a lot of choreography next episode. It's all good. I also thought these are some like strange feuds to choose, like musical feuds.
Speaker 1: To choose, like the music selection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's a lot of big feuds to do. And I felt like, well.
Speaker 1: I guess the songs had to make sense, and then the clearance and the artist and the you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think some of these numbers are really great.
Speaker 1: Yes, well let's talk about those. Let's create them. How to be a Heartbreaker A A plus plus. The bitchous back dress You Up A A minus, cold Hearted A plus Bye Bye Bye I want it that way B plus B plus. I still believe super Bass A minus for Jane. I mean, Darren was great too, obviously, but Jane was really Yeah. And then closer b Okay, I would say we averaged to be there. TARTI takes cringe moments. How she?
Speaker 2: I mean writer, writer's whole situation storyline with unique is just.
Speaker 1: Kitty also says something very inappropriate. Oh, I don't even want to say it. I'm just going to say that was like very washed over. Supposed to be a joke, was not? Okay?
Speaker 2: I giggled out of uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes that's right, but not funny uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: No, I was like, what's happening?
Speaker 1: Like how did that get in? Now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is network TV, wild times.
Speaker 1: Well Glee on Glee, I guess you can. Anything goes Best dance move.
Speaker 2: Cold hearted, cold hearted, and yeah exactly. I think that rope choreography was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Best song I don't have one. I actually don't have one. Do I have to pick?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna go cold hearted.
Speaker 1: Okay, that would be my pick if I had to pick one, but I don't.
Speaker 2: You do. Yeah, it's cold hearted, Jenna fine.
Speaker 1: Best performance by a prop.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do want to talk about something. Speaking of props, the little montage of Will being terrible to find about the sweaters and the dry cleaning made me think if it was the line of being lattes like the latte cups. I love that little bit. You never get that dynamic and it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love seeing these characters grow up and grow and then their relationships changing with each other totally. It's very fun.
Speaker 1: I the prop, Santana's suitcase.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, the comforter and the pillow. Also Blaine's cement hairjel right, I think it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good one too.
Speaker 2: Own the thong. He gets given a thong for his panting lines. Lest we forget. I think that's my pick. It's the thong, Okay. I also just have to mention that in the montage of all the things suited to Blaine, the sign that Blaine is on the bottom, I'm not saying she's bottom shaming him, but you know, bottom rights or top rights, verse rights, whatever he is. I just thought that was crazy. That was insane.
Speaker 1: Best line, ah, so many sue goes.
Speaker 2: I will sing, Nikki, do you to my trid adad roots?
Speaker 1: I funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: She just glossed over that one too, which made it even better.
Speaker 2: And the line you said earlier about Sue saying go find a new boyfriend, maybe Lance Bassa up Paul, but Santana. Anything Santana said in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the one that got me this time around was well for her Mexican third eye first of all, and then her Olsen twins. Let me tell you something. I have known you both for years, and I don't like either of you ninety percent of the time. In fact, your wide eyed, keen painting approach of life makes my teeth hurt and my breasts ache with rage. But you know what I have loved for you. It's just.
Speaker 2: So good. I have love for you. You're my family, and I haven't lied to you in months. I'm smarter about other people than both of you. You have to trust me. God, it's so nice.
Speaker 1: It's so perfect.
Speaker 2: Also, Kurt, right before that, says, did you confront him at Niyada with a Paula Abdul song?
Speaker 1: There's some great, some great lines in this episode performance MVP Jane and Nya.
Speaker 2: I mean I want to put Darren in there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I think.
Speaker 2: I think Jane and that, Yeah, because comedic geniuses, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, So for shit, we found on TikTok tis the season. Okay, this person's name is Zero Blaine, but it's backwards. On TikTok. They posted at TikTok for Tim Walls saying do you know how I know that Tim Walls is the absolute best pick for VP? And she goes through all the reasons and then says, he's Bert hummele this man run for Congress just to ensure that his gay son could continue to go to his gay little glee cup. Did you know actually that Tim Walls did help the students start a gay straight alliance in the high school where he was football coach. That yeah, very real. Love this pic, love this pick, but hilarious and absolutely agree he's got straight up Bert Hummel vibes. Let's keep that campaign going on TikTok because what a Bert Hummel, What a man, Tim Walls, what a man?
Speaker 3: What a.
Speaker 1: Okay that is viewed?
Speaker 2: What a fun episode.
Speaker 1: We have some crazy stuff coming up though, Spice girls, and I feel like.
Speaker 2: This is like a two episode run here that go together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, totally totally.
Speaker 2: They're connected in some way, some weird way.
Speaker 1: I don't know how, but they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they feel like sisters. So next episode is Guilty Pleasure and like Jenna said, we have h spies girls which I could do an hour just on that performance. Yes, so we will see you next week. And that's what you really missed. Bye bye, Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.