Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour.
Speaker 2: In August you can find me in Calgary, that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly, and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour.
Speaker 1: Hi Catherine, Hi, Chelsea. Not just in New York City.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: It was a WorldWind to Catherine, it was a family whirlwind. I have two nieces, new nieces. Yes, they saw you with Armable and I met them for the first time. My brother has been married for a few years, but I never met them and because they were living elsewhere.
Speaker 4: And so they're sort of immigration nightmares situation, right, So that done, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So that's great and they were lovely and so sweet. Yes, it's so nice to see my brother married with children. It's so sweet. He found his he found the lid to his podcaster.
Speaker 1: Isn't that sweet?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I remember we did a minnesode with him, or we did an episode with him way back in the day, and I think he had just started dating.
Speaker 1: Her maybe or it was early day. Yeah, yeah, yeah. They told me some funny stories.
Speaker 2: And my sister lives right by them, so she's really helping out and that's really cute, and I like, yeah, it's it's just one big happy family.
Speaker 1: Oh over at the Handler Household, did you.
Speaker 4: See, speaking of New York City, did you see this thing that mom Donnie did to like help people meet their love?
Speaker 1: No, what did he do?
Speaker 4: So someone posted like, you know, Mom Donnie's doing all this cool stuff like oh, mom Donny, help with this and this and this, and this guy posted like I'm supposed to be having a date with the love of my life here at this library DA in Brooklyn. And so Mom Donnie not only responded to it, he like reposted it and he's like scheduled little cute events.
Speaker 1: That's really cute.
Speaker 2: He must have picked that up from my matchmaking online. Oh he's always copying me, mom. Donnie's doing good things in New York City.
Speaker 1: It's actually really exciting.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did the Pivot podcast with Kars Swisher this week that I think airs tomorrow, and she does this thing at the end called predictions, and I predicted that Abdul.
Speaker 1: Al say Yeah, will win Michigan. That's my prediction. That's my political prediction.
Speaker 2: And my also political prediction is that Mitch McConnell is dead.
Speaker 1: And I like the news that we got about.
Speaker 2: I don't know how this will be received, but it really gives a shit. Brad Bitt is back on the sauce I love. I mean, honestly, if you quit drinking to get your family back and they don't come back, then why are you quitting drinks and they remove your Seven years is the period of time that we've spoken about at length that has time to a new phase. And if I get one more thing on my fucking algorithm about this fucking lunar eclipse and this what the next twelve years of hell are going to be like? And PISCESI, my algorithm is like you're walking into a fire pit of hell, it's actually saying you're walking away from it.
Speaker 1: But it's just so annoying all day long, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I, I can't hear anything more about these eclipses.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's just too much. I can't hear about bad news and bad things coming like.
Speaker 2: Just shifting and all these tarot card readers. How did these even start coming up on my algorithm?
Speaker 1: I it's a witch job. It's Nominika because she's all about it, you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: Also?
Speaker 2: By the way, if you haven't listened to what You're the Problem with Yaminika, that's our latest That's our latest offering. Here at the Dear Chelsea Network, we have a new podcast called You're the Problem with You Dominika, So please support her and listen and download and subscribe.
Speaker 1: And she's so funny and she's so fun she is.
Speaker 2: And it's such a fun podcast. I've actually really enjoying it, even though I have to listen to it. It's it's your job, it's.
Speaker 1: Tang Okay, screw Charlow. Yes, okay.
Speaker 2: We are introducing a very special guy. You know him from Severance Parks and rec Party Down and more. And his new movie is The whisper Man, which is out on Netflix now, which is fucking awesome and has my other boyfriend in it, Robert de Niro.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Adam Scott.
Speaker 2: We good to go, Brad, because I'm ready to rumble and Adam's ready to rumble.
Speaker 3: Is this uh appropriate spot for it? Is this appropriate?
Speaker 1: It's not appropriate? Actually, we need you to take your hands off of them.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, we live in a very sense we're living during a very sensitive We're actually we're living in a very desensitized time.
Speaker 1: We went from very sensitive to desensitized.
Speaker 3: Right, everything, Sure is it? Sure?
Speaker 2: Is your hair as usual? Looks magnificent? Do Are you happy with it?
Speaker 3: I'm fine with it. I just was as long as you're fine.
Speaker 2: I just had the pleasure of watching him get his hair quaffed in my kitchen, so I liked that.
Speaker 4: And our situation.
Speaker 2: It's just impressive to see ahead of hair like this. I know you talk about your hair a lot. If people ask you about your.
Speaker 3: Hair a lot, ask me about my hair.
Speaker 1: Do you get some conscious about it?
Speaker 3: You know? I'm just grateful at this age that I have hair. So I'm fine with it. Because if I'm talking about my hair, I don't have to talk about something else.
Speaker 1: Like the fact that you look so much like Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: How does that make you feel that.
Speaker 3: I look like Tom Cruise?
Speaker 1: Do you think?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 1: Do you think?
Speaker 3: Do you think? Do you I'm sorry I started the sentence first.
Speaker 1: I think I started this interview.
Speaker 3: I look like Tom Cruise? Yes you do?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 1: And do you?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a huge compliment. First of all, I understand why people have said it, But people used to say it all the time, like a long time ago, and then it sort of stopped. So I wonder if there's an era of Tom Cruise where we kind of like matched up for a couple of years and that I don't know. I don't know culturally why it happened at a particular time, but I would take it as a huge compliment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think that you and Tom Cruise have similar running styles?
Speaker 3: Well? I would hope so, because he's like the best cinematic runner of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is that what he's known for his run? He's known for his stunts, right, which include running.
Speaker 3: Yes, But he's also known for like if you seem born on the fourth of July, I remember that movie. Yeah, Like he's known for his performances as well.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, right, right, right, of course, he's known for his actor. He's a good he's a good actor. The thing about a plethora of thing.
Speaker 3: The thing about his running is that I don't think I've ever dedicated as much of myself to anything as he does to running. Like his running is like top notch, like no one's ever. Don't you think if you his running in Mission Impossible movies, he is putting absolutely everything he has into those those runs.
Speaker 2: Well he must he probably do you run on the side in real life? No, you only run in severance. That's right, because that's pretty much the only time I've seen you run. Oh, in your new movie The whisper Man.
Speaker 1: You run also, Yes, that's but that's different because.
Speaker 2: In severance it's really like, it's very it's always in the same space.
Speaker 1: You're always in a hallway, right, And.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of it Like we it's you know, we spend a lot of time shooting those sequences. So it's and I don't like train for it or whatever, which I probably should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like Tom Cruise is training.
Speaker 2: He's probably got a running coach and a running style coach to run so he doesn't look like an asshole and you don't look like an assole when you run.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you were kind of saying.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to sound like that as well, which is why I followed it up with you saying that you're not bad at.
Speaker 3: Running, didn't look like an asshole. Well, I think that like his running. If he did the running that I do, he could do it and then work a full day after no problem, whereas I'm like depleted and the like bananas and gatorade after I do it right right.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I want to congratulate you on your body of work, Adam.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You have a huge it's a really impressive body of work, and you have a new movie, The whisper Man, which has also I want to talk about all the people that you've been working with lately, because it's a pretty impressive roster. Thanks on severance, you get to work with Turturo and these are people I'm talking about only the people that have been legends for a long time, never mind all of the other people. We get to see you interact with, John Jachur, Christopher Walkins, in there, Patricia Arcata, all legendary people. And in this movie you get to work with de Niro, And I know you've been around the block and you've worked with lots of cool people. What is it like being on a regular set? And that is, you know, where you're the main character of a show and these people are supporting that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not something I get used to, and I think that I think it's different. Like my kids have grown up now in Los Angeles and grown up around show business. So to them, I don't know how big of a deal something like that is kind of growing up adjacent to and all their front some of their friends' parents are in show business stuff. For me, I grew up in northern California in a small town where I mean it may as well have been in Milwaukee or something like. It was so so disconnected from show business that like, I kept my ambition to be an actor a secret till I was like seventeen years old because it was so embarrassing that I wanted to you know, like it sounds sounded ridiculous, but it's all I thought about. All I cared about, or like movies and movie stars and television and stuff. So someone like Robert de Niro and getting to be in this movie with him was so crazy because he's so fundamental to the reasons that I wanted to do this in the first place. So I guess the incredibly long answer to your simple question is it's still kind of blowing my mind and to Turo and Patricia and Christopher Walking. It's still wild to me and I'm not I don't think I'll ever get used to it.
Speaker 2: But don't you think at this point in your career you're more prepared for it than ever, like if it had happened earlier in your career. Do you think, first of all, I don't want you to get pigeonholed because you're playing widow. In Severance, you're a widow, and in The Whispering Man, you're a widow. So we have to make sure that this doesn't become.
Speaker 1: A Recurrenon stops here, it stops stop, it stops here, Chelsea.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So you play a widow in both of these movies, and this movie with De Niro's it's a fucking awesome thriller. You move back to the town where your wife is from, and De Niro is playing your father. Yeah, and there are a lot I think there's a lot of For me as a viewer, there are a lot of similarities in your ability. I guess it's your emotional availability that I'm impressed by as an watching you, because you are really like, I know, the opening scene, which is very hard to get out of your mind from Severance, you know, when you're sitting in that car and you're hysterically crying, and then you walk in and you see something shift, and that is also like, you know, I was just telling him how you feel when you watch it, Like as soon as you go up in that elevator, there's something that shifts from the viewer. So what you're doing is super compelling to even have that impact. And obviously the direction and everything involved in that really like lends itself to transporting you to a different place. And I was telling you it took me a while to get into Severance because it is such a different frequency that you're in.
Speaker 1: When you watch that show.
Speaker 2: So I'm very curious to see, like to hear about how you handle that like emotional kind of changing your presence in the scene because of what you're playing, the character you're playing like how does one tap into that, Like how do you do that?
Speaker 3: Like going from one to the other eyes.
Speaker 1: Like there's a different look in your eye, and there's a different way that you're walking. Yeah slightly. Is that all intentional?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was. It was. It took a lot of kind of trial and error, because you know, when we were starting, the scripts were great and it was this whole different world and everything, but then you're there and we're kind of starting from scratch, and Ben was really kind of guiding us to find this world and find the particular tone of this world. And it was a lot of like experimenting and trying different stuff to see what would work. And when it came to my character, when we were kind of zeroing in on it was important because it's not like two characters. It sort of is, but it is the same person. It's just two different sections of the same person. So it had to feel like the same guy, but just like different versions. So for me, the biggest difference ended up being just like life experience. And so you go down in the elevator and it was almost like just scooping out life experience because one of them is forty some one years old and the other ones like for all intents and purposes, like two and a half years old, you have a certain your you know, the seventh procedure leaves you with certain abilities and awareness about certain things.
Speaker 1: But understand that you're thirsty or that you have to go get a.
Speaker 3: T yeah you know how to like, yeah, get yourself food or satiate or whatever. But they've never experienced sleep, they've never experienced you know, the sky or whatever. So there's a bunch of and your life experience is scooped out. So it was kind of like a math problem and going from one to the other, and the elevator ended up being like you said, like there's something just behind the eyes that shifts because it's just a completely different life experience, a completely different kind of realm of awareness. And I sort of just to try and always trying to kind of, you know, you try and make something personal, and so kind of a starting point for me was when we were starting out, I was just like, Okay, maybe the inny is everything I like about myself, Like sometimes I can be charming or personable or optimistic, like if I'm in the right situation, and I kind of can reflect back on how I behaved. I can sometimes feel that way, and then the audi could be everything I have disdain for about myself, a bad posture, kind of a pessimist, anti social, you know, all those things that you are constantly pushing up against, and that character, that side of the character has sort of indul himself in all of the things that have kind of kept him from moving on from this horrible period.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I heard you on Amy Poehler's podcast Could Hang, where you were talking about the beginning stage, like just all of the different things that you've worked on, all the big hits you've had, and you were talking about losing out that role to Michael C.
Speaker 1: Hall in Six Feet Under.
Speaker 2: It was between him and Michael Sea Hall, which I thought was a fascinating story, great tidbit, and then watching Michael C. Hall have all that success with six Feet Under. Yeah, and you guys were talking about one of the times you got really close to something big and that you didn't make that and that you couldn't imagine ever being in that after seeing Michael C.
Speaker 1: Hall in it.
Speaker 2: And I would say the same thing to you about severance, like no one could play that role but you And what you're saying about this lends itself to supporting all of that, because this is it's like I wouldn't even imagine reading that script and understanding what was happening. Yeah, yeah, didn't you have to have a lot of conversations about it or did you not?
Speaker 3: Well, when I first heard the idea, it was way before there was even a script around. Ben just kind of told me the idea about like you go to work and you don't know who you are in the outside world. You only know what's there, and then when you leave work, you have no idea what you did at work. And I just thought that was such a cool idea. So I couldn't get that. It sounded like like a really good Twilight Zone episode or something, you know. But yes, as we kind of dove in and got more and more detail about not only the circumstances of the procedure, but the company and the lore and all of that stuff, Yes, it was constant questions. And Dan Erickson, who created the show, was around and he could sort of explain things, and he has an answer for everything, and it's kind of thought everything through. So yeah, it was a lot of it's dense. It's a lot of information and everything that you see and hear on that show is there for a reason and has a lot has a story behind it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: It really makes you think, It really makes you focus, and it really makes you think. We were saying that these are one of the shows that you have to watch, and your phone really has to be away.
Speaker 1: You can't be diddling. You can't be.
Speaker 2: Doling yourself, and you can't be duling your phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now let's shift to the whisperer man. So this is a great story, And like, I love the idea of being a single dad, not because your wife died, but I love the I just like watching male characters.
Speaker 2: I think it's really nice to see a single father, you know, someone who's like, it's their entire onus is to provide for this kid and take care of them emotionally, which your character really does, which I imagine you're a lot like in real life. I mean, everyone has always amazing things to say about you. I know you a little bit, and you are definitely one of the good guys.
Speaker 3: That's the reputation you very very nice of you saying.
Speaker 2: So you and your family should be proud of yourself, thank you. But when you're dealing with that kind of level of emotion, which you do in severance as well, but especially in the Whisperman, and you're dealing with that, like, what are you tapping into?
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing I thought was interesting about the script and kind of James Ashcroft, who directed it's something he was really interested in too, is that this is a single dad who's kind of struggling. He wasn't the one, His wife was really the one who did the lion's share of parenting, and now here he is and he's trying his best to connect with his son and provide for his son, and he is he's having a hard time. I mean, he's doing it, but it is a struggle. And in the midst of trying to do this right and figure out how to do this, his son disappears. So I thought that was interesting that it wasn't like some idyllic version of single parenthood. And then that you've seen a lot I've seen a lot in movies where everything's great and perfect, things couldn't be going better, and then this tragedy strikes. Things are a bit of a struggle out of the gate, and so this horrible thing that happens couldn't have come at a worse time. You know, working with MJ, with this kid who this wonderful actor who played my son was really wonderful, and he was so available and being a parent, you know, especially working with someone who's ten years old. I believe he was ten years old when we made the movie. I miss that age so much. With my kids. They're nineteen and seventeen now, so they're essentially adults. So working with him and remembering what it was like to have, you know, ten year old and eight year old or whatever was really really it was easy to kind of tap into that and feel those kind of feelings and that anxiety and the constant worry you have for this kid. I mean that never goes away, but at that age it's a particularly tender, tender time.
Speaker 1: It doesn't go away. No, you're always worried for you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Every time my kids leave the house, it's like, oh my god, it's embarrassing because it's like, be careful fucking driving, like Jesus Christ, don't like be late, don't fucking drive sixty miles an hour down a neighbor like don't just slow down and be careful, don't look at your phone, you know all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Do your kids respect you?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, no, that would be the worst thing to have kids that don't respect you at all.
Speaker 2: Like I did not respect my parents at all. As soon as I met them, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, uh uh yeah, no thanks.
Speaker 2: And the teenage years like I mean, I don't want I would never want to put I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: The karma that I'm due for the.
Speaker 2: Way I treated my parents would become full circle that I was like, there's no way I can have children because it will just be health.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I was such an asshole. I remember my mom would if I had like dirty dishes in the sink, she would ask me over and over again, do your dish, and I would just ignore it. She would bring the dishes into my room and put them on my bed and I would just take them put them on the floor, and I wouldn't do it, Like what an asshole?
Speaker 1: Yeah that is an asshole. Brothers and sisters.
Speaker 3: I had an older brother and sister. Yeah right, the youngest, yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. They were the worst ones. I'm the youngest of my family as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many brothers in society.
Speaker 2: There's six of us all together, so I was number six. So nobody was even trying to get me to do dishes. They were just like, just shut the fuck up for two seconds, please, you have like a free passay. They were like, if you could just go in your room and be quiet for an hour, we're fine.
Speaker 1: We'll do your dishes for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So how does your what tell me about parenting? I want to know, like, what has surprised you? What has surprised you about your wife becoming a mother? I know it's been a long time, or maybe what surprises you about your wife being a mother that you.
Speaker 1: Didn't know about her before you had children? Anything.
Speaker 3: I think that she she's incredible, and I don't think it's a surprise necessarily that she was or is I'm thinking about the kids being really little right now. How adept she was right out of the gate for uh being a parent and was really the person I followed. I really kind of looked to her to figure out how to do this. It's really hard. It's a lot of really it's really complicated and hard, particularly as they get older. But I always had her as a role model for parenting.
Speaker 1: Truly, she took the lead in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess it depends on what kind of aspect of it you're you're talking about, But yeah, I would always follow Naomi's lead. I think she is an incredible parent, and any any we have incredible Our kids are incredible people, and like I said, they're like grown ups now, it's so crazy, and they are incredible people. And I entirely credit her with that. I'm lucky that I grew up with great parents as well, but I'm I'm consistently still just blown away by what an incredible, incredible mother mother she has been.
Speaker 2: And still do you think that's just being a female instinctually, like having a maternal instinct, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's part of it. But I think she's she has a real emotional availability and really really perceptive and intellectually she's brilliant, and I think that really comes in handy too, like she's always five steps ahead of all three of us.
Speaker 1: So I guess the next question is does she respect you?
Speaker 3: That's a great question which we're going to need to ask. You got to get her in here to find out.
Speaker 1: How did you two meet.
Speaker 3: We met at Kat in the Fiddle. Do you remember that bar? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, I used to go there with all the comedians.
Speaker 3: Totally after what club were, Well.
Speaker 2: There were all these like little clubs that weren't like the main clubs like Comedy Store and Improv that were over on that side of town. There was like Mixed Nuts, which was on Pico and Librea, but there was clubs over there like yeah, I forget some of the names of them, but there's always these small little rooms where you could go.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, and then go east.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, east into like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we met there because everyone smoked back then, and that was the best bar you could go in and play darts being outside and smoke people.
Speaker 1: People are smoking as back by the way are smoking.
Speaker 3: I can't believe, dude, It's everywhere. I know.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand. It's like what we've we've lost all information.
Speaker 4: Because the kids love the nineties, I know.
Speaker 3: Is that what it is? Because well, here's the thing is that vaping obviously took hold for a while, but then everyone came down so hard on vaping right that all these kids were addicted to nicotine. They're like Okay, I guess we can't vape anymore, may as well just go to the source, right, and it looks cooler, so let's just start smoking. It's crazy, You're right, it's everywhere. Were you ever a smoker?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course, I've done everything.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it was the best.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't smoke anymore because I'm too old to smoke like it's cool.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: In Europe, once in a while i'll have a cigarette because I don't believe you can get cancer there. And if I'm on vacation and other people are smoking or figure, you know, okay, but I never go. I don't smoke here. I would just I just find cigarettes to be gross in the way that you should have I think probably were similar ages. Okay, so back to how you met your wife. Did you just throw in a piece of nicotine? Come while we're talking about nicotine by way, Okay, I just wanted.
Speaker 3: To still that I haven't smoked a cigarette, probably in twelve years or something.
Speaker 1: And okay, so you were a smoker too, I sure was.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Yeah, Oh my god. An actor in the nineties in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I see, yes, what else would you do if you run your fingers through your hair and smoke a cigarette, and you'll liberate over how you're going to deliver a scene.
Speaker 3: You should see my headshots from like nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can only imagine.
Speaker 3: And I auditioned for all the scream movies, and I know what you did all that stuff. I was here trying to, you know, get something. So it was that whole skeet o rich in, that whole era. Yeah, of like actors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had Dave franco On recently, who was telling us that you were together when you guys met the Pope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, isn't that crazy. Yeah, it's one of those pope trips.
Speaker 1: No, he hasn't requested me yet.
Speaker 3: You should meet the boat.
Speaker 1: Did you get requested?
Speaker 2: I mean I got invited. That's a that's a request. I guess that's what Dave said too. He was like, I couldn't believe. We couldn't believe we were going to meet him.
Speaker 3: It was strange, but you know whatever. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm more interested though, in your wife and the cat and the fiddle.
Speaker 3: Cat and the fiddle. Okay, so we met at the Cat and the Fiddle. I saw her from across the bar that outside area. Remember that found I was like, I want to meet her and my friend I was doing a play in the midst of doing a play and the friend was with in the play. He was like, I know her friend and he was a brit and he walks over to his friend that they knew each other from the UK, and she introduces me to Naomi and Naomi said is like nice to meet you, and then she's like, I have to go, and she just left because she did not she heard I was an actor and immediately was like no way and just left. Smart Smart. But then I got my friend to talk to his friend and get them to come to the play we were in. It was down at the Taper downtown, the Mark Tape or Form, and they came to that play and it was on closing night, and afterwards there was like a closing night party and that's where we started chatting. And we went to a an after party at Amanda Donajo's house. Do you remember that actor Amanda. We'd recognize her and I don't know how it ended up at her house because she was not in the play, but we were in the backyard and there was a Golden Retriever and just the three of us sat there for like three hours just talking. The dog did not talk, but Naomi and I did.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that, yeah, yeah, yeah, And thank you to the listeners and thanking you on their behalf. Clarification, no talking to the viewers and the listeners. This is also on Netflix so people can watch through and see your air.
Speaker 3: Believe me, if the dog talked, that would have been the headline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that yeah, exact exactly. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: And now you guys run a production company together. You have a production company, you work together. How long have you guys been working together.
Speaker 3: We've been working together since like two thousand twelve about Wow, Yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, it's it's great. I mean we did it sort of out of necessity. We made this series of specials for Adult Swim where we recreated opening credit sequences for eighties television shows Shot for shot, we made these opening credit sequences, so and I was directing them, she was producing them, and we created it together. So we needed to come up with a company, and we came up with a name and did everything and then it went really well working together because you never know how that's going to it could be dicey, but ended up being great, and so we just kept going and kept doing it and we're now going on like over ten years. It's wild.
Speaker 2: So let me turn that question about parenting back to you. Has there what was the most surprising thing that you found out about yourself as a parent.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting is that when you there's a weird and it's all cliche. Everything is going to say is a cliche because everything that I know, it always sounds cliche when people talk about parenting. But when you're raising kids, whatever age the kid is at, you are immediately start flashing back to memories when you were at that age, and you start remembering thing things, And maybe it's a it's part of a process of just trying to empathize with the kids and trying to see the world through their eyes. But for whatever reason, I was kind of flashing back to everything and in my life growing up as a kid. And I'm glad that happened because it's it's good to be able to kind of see yourself through the end and and and and you really kind of start to see whatever patterns you may not want to repeat with your kids.
Speaker 1: In a parenting sense, or like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess the thing, if I'm thinking about what would surprise me, I guess I mean there's the cliche thing of you never knew you could love something so much, which is totally true. I think that I've just been consistently surprised and sort of amazed at them and the people that they've become, and the young woman and young man that that they are now, because you don't have much perspective on it until you really you really have to step back because you know you're in the midst of it, and so you don't see them growing. It's just happening. And it's not until you look at a photo or whatever really step back. And then to really step back and kind of see them as formed people now is something that never stops kind of amazing me. And if I take pride in anything, it's that it's that they've that they've turned out it's all right, and turned out to be terrific people.
Speaker 1: Are they in the business.
Speaker 3: My daughter is an incredible actor in theater at school, and my son has no interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a boyfriend who once described it as wondrous. He said the word wondrous, and I had never heard anyone use that word before in.
Speaker 3: A sentience kids growing up, or to just.
Speaker 2: Having children and seeing these little versions of yourself and then seeing them kind of just gather all of their information and tools that life has to offer, some of which you provide, and some that they get on their own independent of you, and that they come together and they form their own opinions, and then they become these little people with their own opinions, and sometimes those opinions are different than yours.
Speaker 1: And you're like, Hi, wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, and especially in a town like this, because raising kids in LA cannot be easy.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I don't. Yeah, that's just seems.
Speaker 3: Like, why do you say that?
Speaker 1: It seems like it's too much industry, too much, you know.
Speaker 2: I feel that way as an adult when I spend too much time in LA. So I can only imagine as a parent how it must feel to have so much exposure. I mean, it's it's good to have the exposure because it kind of lessens your or mitigates your la la la about it, your attitude, but also at the same time, it's very rarefied. Yes, it's not really representative of the real world.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, I wish. I mean, if you want to have a career in show business, I think it's it's beneficial to grow up in show business because it is completely demystified. Yeah, and because I'm still nervous around Robert de Niro whoever. But if you grow up in it, like I would imagine, if my daughter ends up wanting to pursue a career in show business, she's going to have a leg up, not because of being you know, a NEPO baby or whatever. I think all of that is can only take you so far if you're really if you really want something that it's gonna last, you have to have the goods and the chops or whatever.
Speaker 1: And in many cases you have to work even.
Speaker 3: Harder to give yourself. That's true.
Speaker 2: I know plenty of people that have had that. It's like, oh, they rejected because oh, that's so and So's daughter. We can't hire that person. You know, It's like there's it's not like it's all sunshine and roses over in that department totally.
Speaker 3: But you at least are once you're kind of there doing something. You're not going to be completely freaked out by everything.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you just hear my dog talk? My dog just talk?
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 2: He just it was a loud snore, but he I think there was a syllable in there.
Speaker 1: I think he said, I can't.
Speaker 3: It can't with me.
Speaker 1: I can't think I think.
Speaker 3: Enough from this.
Speaker 1: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: I got that vibe when I came in earlier. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were you nervous when you did your scene with de Niro or had you have done anything with him prior to the Whisperman No?
Speaker 3: I I was nervous the whole time. I did not get used to being around him at all.
Speaker 1: You him, I don't, I mean, I've no, I don't know him.
Speaker 3: Have you met it?
Speaker 1: I fucking love him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I the best.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't love Robert de Nier?
Speaker 2: Now, first of all, he's like eighty years old, and he's got his shit together, like he's fucking chugging along in that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he shows him like physical. I was like, oh, look at him, pretty spry, like a spring chicken.
Speaker 2: I just like his attitude. I like that he calls out bullshit all the time.
Speaker 3: And it also Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Who doesn't love that?
Speaker 2: I mean, and it goes off, you know, we need more people doing that in his position.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm obsessed with Robert Denier. I've found him.
Speaker 2: I've seen every single movie he's ever been in, and it's nice. I feel like we're in living during a time where he's more accessible than he was, like in the seventies and eighties before, you know, because he was like you know, actors like that were harder to see, and now they're more pervasive, like they take on more jobs.
Speaker 1: The movies are TV, TV is the movies, that kind of thing. So what how did you handle your nerves with him?
Speaker 3: Well, just for some background, I had Robert. I would cut pictures of Robert de Niro out of like Premiere magazine and put them in my locker. I had them on my wall in my bedroom. I even Tricky is ready. I even took a picture of him, Remember the tattoos in Cape Fear. I had a picture of him on the CD tray that came out of my CD player, so the him from Cape Fear would come out at you. If when the tray opened, I was like, people would be like, what are you doing, like, you need to calm down about Robert Robert de Niro. So I you know, when you're there with the person and they're talking to you and everything they're doing is so fundamental, Like you know, like you said, you've seen everything that he's done. So it's so strange to actually be there and then have to work and not make a fool of yourself.
Speaker 2: Like are you the type of person that wants him to respect you? Or are you trying to get him to like you? Or are you the type of person that wants to make him laugh.
Speaker 3: I'm I just want to make sure the scenes are working and I'm doing my part there. That's it. That's it, because everything else it's Robert de Niro. He's one of the great actors that we've ever had, one of the greatest actors we've ever ever had. So I'm not going to dance around and try and try and get him to like me. It's way too intimidating to do that. In fact, there was one time when I was talking to Naomi on the phone and I was like, hey, so I was thinking, there's this I have this question about the Irishman, and I wanted to ask Bob about it, and I think tomorrow we're working together, I think I might find chance to to to approach him. And there's this thing I've been wondering about. And she's like, Adam, you are starring in a movie with him. You're not like an extra or you have one scene you can ask him about the Irishman. What are you doing. I'm like, yeah, you're you're right, I'm in the thing with him, And so I did. I asked him about the Irishman and he was like, yeah, great, and he's just he's the Actually such a sweet, accessible person is what you come to find out. So, uh, it was. It was lovely, but I never ever got used to it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I know you did like podcasts on YouTube like some other bands, right, Springsteen did you do?
Speaker 3: We did that. We did YouTube, ari Em, Talking Heads and Springsteen.
Speaker 1: So four of those, yeah, because that would Robert Geniro would be a good subject matter for a podcast. Also, oh yeah, you're right, really, I mean for film buffs totally. I love that.
Speaker 2: So okay, out of those four bands, who is your I just gave you your next podcast idea.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. So out of those four bands, do you have a favorite out.
Speaker 3: Of r em. Really, yeah, they're my favorite.
Speaker 1: Out of all of them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you in a video with Rim?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was an extra in a video of theirs?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 3: We like one? Tic like the chance to go be in the video on the radio me and my friends. Huh, I drove down here and did that, like in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: I believe is how many RM concerts have you been to?
Speaker 3: Man a lot. I've saw them so many times. I think they're the best American bands.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's quite an endorsement.
Speaker 3: I know. Good right. Are you not a fan? You seem surprised.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not a fan. I just they're not my I love Springsteen. I love you too. I like Rim. I've just never been like an uber fan of M. But was the podcast.
Speaker 3: You're the generation that grew up with all those?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, well yeah, Springsteen I came into later in life because somebody took me to a Springsteen concert in Oslo, Norway, and I was like.
Speaker 1: What the holy shit incredible. I cannot believe this man.
Speaker 2: He is the coolest of all time. He's another one you know who speaks up and I love that. It's all these old guys.
Speaker 3: The fact that his tour right now, he's going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah talking about have you seen him recently perform?
Speaker 3: I saw him like three years ago is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he's seventy five, I think now seventy five, yeah, seventy five and he performs for three hours and you two, you've seen a bunch, right. It's nice to see all these kind.
Speaker 1: Of old guys up there fucking rocking it out and like showing people how it's done.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: And also emblematic of the fact that we obviously have access to medicines and treatments that we didn't many many years ago.
Speaker 1: That these guys are like out there blowing it up and dancing. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But when I remember seeing Bruce Springsteen for the first time, I've seen you too a bunch of times.
Speaker 1: And talking Heads.
Speaker 2: I love the talking Heads. Yeah, I don't think I ever saw them in concert.
Speaker 3: I didn't either, Oh you did it well, they broke up like in like nineteen eighty nine or nineteen something like that, so it was no, I never did. Unfortunately, I've seen David Byrne though. He's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's still kicking it. He's kicking it around and it's having a resurgence.
Speaker 3: Amazing. It's a great show to see him, see him perform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That music is so evocative.
Speaker 2: Talking Heads specifically takes you to a time told Bruce Springsteen is like, you know, his library is so long, and so is you. Two's that there's songs that hit you for certain times, but talking Heads like takes you to.
Speaker 1: The moment wherever you were when you heard that rim too. Ari yam for sure, I remember all of that. Are we ready for some callers?
Speaker 2: We're so ready you've been to therapy, because we'll have one that's just an email.
Speaker 4: We'll like save your hair like a couple more minutes.
Speaker 1: You could also put them on like this, you want to ruin your.
Speaker 4: Hay one ear well, this is just a quickie. This is our one drink question. B says, I'm trying to convince my best friends, a couple to go on vacation to Mexico with us this summer. The problem is they have not spent one night with both of them away from their kids. Their kids are seven and eight. They can afford to sitter. How do we convince them to take some time away being adults.
Speaker 3: Be they's seven and eight and never been away from their kids. Oh my god, they have to do that. They have to, Yeah, they have to. I think you know what might help is if they find an example of someone that does that often, like once a month they take a couple of days away from their kids or every few months or whatever it is, and present it to them as doesn't this look fun?
Speaker 2: Also, there's so much like information available totally to support the idea of taking breaks from your children makes you a better parent.
Speaker 4: Yes, I also think the kids want a break from their parents. Like they love going and having yes said or comm or Grandma and grandpa or whoever it is. It's fun and different.
Speaker 2: It's also just it's just a good system and healthy like boundary to get into so that you're not seven or eight years old like you're going into like super Obviously, their family is a codependent family like that. You can't avoid being codependent with your family. That's just the way it works. But you want to teach these kids, you know, like some sort of independence and not have it go on to where they're fourteen or fifteen and they've never had a sleepover. I had a friend who had a fifteen year old who had never slept over somebody else's house.
Speaker 4: Apparently, like sleepovers have kind of gone away.
Speaker 2: We wor about their kids, you know, getting molested, which is reasonable, but hopefully you couldn't. I mean, that is a reasonable fear, but it's not like it shouldn't be your only thing.
Speaker 1: You know, do you're driving force? I mean you can. You can make have people that are going to be with your kids that you know and trust.
Speaker 4: Right, So does it a little get molested, Like get out there, get at some point.
Speaker 3: Our kids did sleepovers all the time, and at some point those kids are going to go to camp or whatever, like they have to get to campes.
Speaker 1: But this is a good first step.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, just tell them it's a fully endorsed plan by all parties you spoke to.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, leave your kids for a week or whatever, a few days, that's right, Well, Perry says, online dating broke me. Dear Chelsea, big fan of the show, even bigger fan of Doug. I need some advice on how to push myself out of the habits I've developed from online dating. I'm twenty eight and I've been living in Montreal for ten years. I've been technically single for about four and a half years, over compensating for several years of serial monogamy. I love my life and I'm very fulfilled with my friendship careers. So after a long hiatus of single girl style dating, a long term situationship, and admittedly a fear of commitment, I've decided I'm officially ready to start looking for something serious. Here's the issue. I've been online dating since I was sixteen, sorry mom and Dad, and it's seriously like you, and it seriously impacted my ability to initiate interactions with people who interest me in person. I'm quite extroverted and I'm generally pretty good at going after what I want. This definitely comes through when I'm swiping, and I never hesitate to ask someone to meet for drinks when a bit of interest has sparked. But if I meet someone out in the world, even if we're flirting, I have completely lost my nerve to take the next step of asking them for their number or to go on a date. I know this likely stems from a fear of rejection, which is a much bigger blow face to face than it is over the apps. Not to mention that everyone I talk to on the apps has already shown interest before we start talking. But I want to open this door for myself. As natural chemistry is everything. I'd love to be able to confidently ask people out when I meet them face to face. I love any advice you can give me. I've had a crush on a guy at my gym for months, and even though we're already chatting, I always get tongue tied before I can take the next step.
Speaker 2: Perry, Oh, this is so fun. This is so fun. There's nothing like creating a new habit. First of all, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 1: Hi, Nice to meet you. Stunged to be here?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we're happy you're here. This is our special guest, Adam Scott's here today.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: How's it going that you didn't expect that? Yeah? Okay.
Speaker 2: First of all, this is the perfect way to start, is to go up to this guy in the gym and say exactly what you said to us. It's been a shorter way just to say, listen, I am trying to break my habit of only online dating and actually working on my skill set about initiating and so you can say yes, or you can say no, but I am just practicing right now.
Speaker 1: I've been noticing you for the last few months.
Speaker 2: Whatever however you want to phrase it, but use that guy as your first step in and use that storyline as you're intro or entree or entry I'm not sure which word I'm thinking of right now, but to get into this situation, because you can form a new habit into like you know, I people say twenty eight days. I think it's like fewer than that. I think you can really form new habits in six or seven times. Like I think, if you really do something and you make yourself do.
Speaker 1: It, it's not that hard.
Speaker 2: You're just you've just been trained online, like you just kind of have to unlearn that behavior. But it's really also empowering, regardless of what the response is to go up to someone and say something like that, and it's going to become its own kind of intoxic, hating thing for you to do, don't you think, Adam, I'm you probably haven't experienced online dating ever because you've been.
Speaker 1: With your wife.
Speaker 3: Isn't that crazy? But that's lucky? Well, most people, most marriages these days are it's people met online. Yeah, and apps and stuff. I mean I think if you went up to him and said what Chelsea just said, he would be so psyched. I mean, first of all, it would be so flattering, But secondly, it's so refreshing that someone would would say something and just be upfront like that, because everyone's hiding behind the apps.
Speaker 2: Yes, and keep that in mind, like you're not the only person that's experiencing these like this app like dating lifestyle. Everyone in your age and younger and older is also dealing with the same thing. So it's going to be refreshing for him too. And it really doesn't matter what anybody says. This is an exercise for you. So even if he says no, I doubt he will honestly, unless he's got a girlfriend or a wife or something, which you know, then fine.
Speaker 1: But even if he does say no, who gives a shit?
Speaker 2: There's a you know what I mean, Like you're going to get used to the idea of like it's more about you empowering yourself and like making that move than about what is like the end game and the response that you get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all very good advice.
Speaker 6: I think I've just gotten into the habit of if I do take interest in someone in person kind of you know, laying the groundwork but waiting for them to ye like that final move.
Speaker 2: That's lame because I used to be like that too, But it's like, who we don't have time for that. Yeah, we're all it's here for a short period of time. Like you got to go after what you want. And here's something that I always do that might help you. I always just think on behalf of all women when I'm doing something like that. When I'm being like, you know, like doing something that kind of scares me, I'm like, I want all women to feel this way. I want to empower all women with the move that I'm making, So like, think of all women when you do this, Like you're not just helping yourself, you're kind of setting an example for anyone who might see you do it, even though I'm sure you don't want an audience, you know, like you just kind of think about it as like an energetic vibe that you're setting the tone for and that you're kind of helping other people like level up to the moment too, And you know, think about like going up to people. That's just a stronger move anyway than hiding behind a screen.
Speaker 3: I think that's such great advice, and going into it thinking if he says no or who gives a shit, that's not the point of it. The point of it is to just inject yourself into the world a little more, and whether this particular person has the reaction you want or not, it's not about that. It's about you know, the next one, will you know? It's about getting yourself out there, and like Chelsea said, kind of shifting your habits a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think once, you know, I if I get to the point where I reach two or three rejections and realize it's like really not as terrifying or as devastating as it sounds like it will be, I'll probably really settle into my comfort zone with it. But I think using that approach in general and just kind of being really upfront about wanting to get outside of the online dating space is a really good approach because I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're definitely not. And also, I want to just tell you a quick story. I had this what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Like me, I was shy, which is I'm sure hard for many people to believe.
Speaker 1: But I was at I was in Whistler.
Speaker 2: This was many years ago, and there was a group of guys sitting at a table and I was with my friend's daughter.
Speaker 1: She was like sixteen years old at the time, and it.
Speaker 2: Was just me and her and there's a group of guys and there's one guy that I was like, Oh, this guy is cute. And then we got up from the table and we're leaving the restaurant and I said to the sixteen year old girl, I'm like, that guy was cute.
Speaker 1: And she goes, let's go back, and I'm like, no, I'm not doing that. I'm like, they know who I am. I'm not going back to a group of men and saying you And she goes, I'll do it. And so she went back and she's like, oh, he's married, and and I was like, I can't believe a sixteen year old.
Speaker 2: Just did something that I should have been doing. You know, I was forty something at the time, and I was like, I just remember it.
Speaker 1: In that moment.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, next time, I'm saying something that's great.
Speaker 4: So and remember, like the ask is not like, hey, do you want to fall in love and get married?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Totally.
Speaker 6: The big fear isn't finding out that they're in relationships.
Speaker 1: I actually did find out.
Speaker 6: That this guy was single, and then it became scarier because I knew that a rejection like wouldn't be because he was married, because that doesn't scare me. I'm not afraid of, you know, like finding out, oh, you know, he's he's already committed, like that doesn't feel like a rejection, like being told no, I'm not interested in you. So that kind of as much as that seemed like it would be a step forward, kind of felt like a step back.
Speaker 2: But here's another thing about rejection. I think you should look at rejection. You just have to flip the switch the way you're looking through things. Flip it upside down, like think about the opposite. Every rejection is closer to getting what you want, right.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Say you get rejected by five guys to meet the person that you're gonna marry, wouldn't you want to get there faster?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. I mean, there are almost so many people in Montreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of people in Montreal. You're gonna be fine, You're beautiful, you have a great spirit.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 2: All good vibes, spread the good vibes and do it and report back.
Speaker 1: Let us know what happens.
Speaker 3: I will. I will, absolutely, And you'll never know if you don't, if you don't ask, if you don't give it.
Speaker 1: Right, that is very true.
Speaker 6: And yeah, if only we're in a place where I could have, you know, a glass of wine before.
Speaker 2: But it would be funny to have a glass of wine and then go to the gym just for the purpose of a day.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I would say.
Speaker 6: Certain, that would really be uh be helpful for my deal.
Speaker 4: All right, Thank you, Harry.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Nice to read.
Speaker 1: Hey, bye, nice to meet you. Bye. That's Cuteutie, that is cute.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Our next caller is Genie and her subject line is I cut off my maga mom. Oops, question mark. Dear Chelsea. I've been at war with myself since January twenty ninth of this year. That was the day I blew up at my mother over the phone and called her a hypocrite and a fascist and said I never wanted to talk to her again. I'm fifty three and my mother is eighty five. She's rider die Maga and in complete denial of any facts provided by me or anyone else. She's so far in the cult she doesn't think he lies like at all. During his first term, she kept a framed picture of Trump and Milania in her living room. She's never done that with any other president. She's largely steered clear of initiating political conversations with me, but it's hard to avoid discussing Trump when she asks how I've been, because I'm so overwhelmed by all the terrible things he's doing. After the invasion of Minnesota and the killing of Renee Good and Alex Pretty, I was sure Mom's position on Trump would have changed in that final conversation. When I asked if she still supports him, she said yes, I'm not proud of this, but I lost my shit. I told her she would have supported her Jewish neighbors being hauled away if she had lived in Germany in the thirties. I told her she would have supported Japanese interment camps, both events we discussed at length when I was a child, with her stating how awful these were. Her values have shifted, and it's very hard to tolerate. In case you're thinking she's lost her Marbles, that's not the case. She's sharp as a tech. Now that a few months have passed, I think I've made a mistake. Yes, her position is hypocritical and immoral, but she's my eighty five year old mother who has maybe ten years left on this earth. As a mother, she's great, always loving, and supportive. She's been a doting grandmother to my two kids. The war with myself is should I apologize and resume our relationship or do I continue to refuse to normalize her repugnant views. Either option feels terrible, but I don't want to lose these final years with her. Chelsea, What would you do in my position?
Speaker 1: Genie? Hi, Genie, Hi, Hi Jeanie. This is Adam Scott, our special guest.
Speaker 5: Hi my gosh, Hiay.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I feel for you. You're not alone at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, we get people calling in about this stuff all the time. I think what I've come to realize in the recent weeks is that I think you should treat her even though she's got she's with it mentally.
Speaker 1: You have to treat like maga people like they have.
Speaker 2: Mental illness, Like you have to think of it like a mental illness.
Speaker 1: They're part of a cult and they've been tricked. Clearly they've been tricked.
Speaker 2: If she was teaching you about the Holocaust and Japanese and tournament camps, she's been tricked, just like all of these people have been tricked into thinking that this person cares about them. So, even though it's so hard to compartmentalize that, I think you should just really think of it like, oh, she's a victim of a scheme, you know, like she's chosen even though she has free will, Like I mean, she has chosen to be in this.
Speaker 1: Group of people. But you have to look at it like it's mental illness, and you can't. You just have to.
Speaker 2: Because if you want this relationship with your mother, which I completely understand, why wouldn't you, you know, I think you.
Speaker 1: Just have to go to her. I don't know that you have to.
Speaker 2: Apologize, per se. I think you should go to her with like love and be like, listen.
Speaker 1: You're really you're old, You're my mother. I need to I want I mean, you're not, you're old.
Speaker 2: You're going to but you know, like I want us to spend time with each other.
Speaker 1: You've been a wonderful mother. I know we don't agree on this stuff.
Speaker 2: And I think it's the best thing we can do is just to not discuss it and really focus on just having a loving, caring relationship and not bring up politics. And I know that's really hard right now, but I think you can do it because it's your mom. You know, you could talk about your family, You could talk about your kids.
Speaker 1: Do you have kids, Yes, I have two teenagers. Okay, great, so there's plenty to talk about, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know what now that you've framed it like that, like she's been tricked, like sometimes the elderly do get Yeah, if I can, if I can look at her that way, I think I can manage to be calm yeah, okay when.
Speaker 4: And just just not.
Speaker 5: Talk about it. I think that's our only course of action.
Speaker 3: I know how tricky it is though, because it's I think back to like George W. Bush Organ or George Bush Sr. And back to back then. I had friends that were Republicans back in those days, and it was so much simpler. It was a political. It was a disagreement on politics. And so when people now are like, it's just it's it's just a disagreement. Why is it such a big deal. It is different though. It's a disagreement about fundamental truths and about reality. So I know how how this how hard this is for you, and I'm sure it is so difficult to separate it from because it's so ingrained in everything, because what all the MEGA followers have been duped into is so fundamental and is so wide reaching. But I think what Chelsea said is exactly right. It's just a matter of zeroing in on the things that you can talk about and just focus sing in on that. And it is true. She has been tricked and a lot of older folks have been a lot of older folks who are a MEGA have been kind of pulled into this thing and taken advantage of.
Speaker 5: So you don't think I'll be compromising my values.
Speaker 1: No, okay, your mother.
Speaker 2: It's your mom, and she's older and she's not going to be around for a while.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're compromising your values.
Speaker 2: I really respect that you're asking that, because I feel like I think about that stuff a lot too. It's like, oh, no, it's your mother. It's not like a guy you're dating. And you know what I mean, It's not like that. This is you don't have a choice who your parents are, and this happened to your mother. This happened to your mother. That's how you have to think about it. Like this, you know, this mental illness happened to her, So if she were mentally ill, how would you react to that?
Speaker 1: You wouldn't cut off ties with her.
Speaker 2: You would be really supportive in every way you could be. You don't have to be supportive of her politics, but just be supportive of her as an individual and the love and caring, and don't wait for her to get it, because she's probably not gonna get it. There's not going to be anything that's gonna happen that's going to change her mind. Even when he goes down, she's still probably gonna feel the same way. So don't, like let go of that if you can, and work on letting go of that, Like that's a good kind of mantra for you to like say, let go of that, don't hold on to this hope. I have those feelings all.
Speaker 1: The time about like these people.
Speaker 2: What are these people going to do when when the emperor has no clothes, obviously he has no clothes. We're watching it happen in real time. It's they're never gonna get it. They're never gonna say we were wrong. I mean, some people will, but most people are.
Speaker 1: Not going to say it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get I get that you're principled, and I get that it's making you sick. It makes anyone who doesn't feel that way sick. You know, we're all dealing with this in our lives. But just focus on her being your mother and just think of her as as really sick.
Speaker 5: So be cause initially my impulse was to write, you know, a very educational letter and cite sources and give her the information about how these migrants are being treated, and just provide lots of evidence that maybe I could change her mind. But I think what you're saying is it's it's not worth it. There's nothing I can or anyone can say at this point.
Speaker 4: No, what Trump has tapped into is like a different part of the brain than logic and reasoning. It's exactly, it's something totally.
Speaker 1: Like you're amigdala, it's your fear of component. That's it.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like working off a fear. But just divorce yourself from the idea that she's going to ever get it. Don't waste your time. It's your time is probably better spent doing other things, like showing up for the people in your life that do feel the same way you do, and like doubling down on love and kindness for strangers and the people who are being affected by these terrible policies. That's what I try to focus on when I get really angry, is like, okay, flip that anger into positivity. So I think, you know, I think you're gonna be good and you're gonna be happier if you just make nice with her and make peace with her.
Speaker 5: Because it sounds think, just pick up the phone say hey, mom, I regret losing my temper. I've been thinking about this for several months, and I do think i'd make I made a mistake, and I would like to just moving forward, not talk about politics. Let's just focus on a family and resume my relationship to the link to that effects.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if you need to say that you made a mistake. I think you just say I love you and I miss you. Yes, and can we just relationship?
Speaker 2: Yeah, be sweet and be funny if you can be like I love you, I missed you, and like you know, I don't know what your relationship is like, but be cute and short. I don't think you even get into the political stuff right now. If it comes up again, just say hey, you know what, we don't agree on this, and like I'm really focused on I just want to spend as much quality time with you as possible. So let's talk about the kids or what's going on with you in your life. You know that's not political. When the situation presents itself, then you can say something, but not prematurely. I don't want you to reactivate that. I think you just go in with love and that that's hard to deny.
Speaker 3: I think that's smart.
Speaker 5: Okay, this helps so much. You don't even know how much sleep I've been losing.
Speaker 3: It's horrible.
Speaker 5: So I really appreciate you, you know, Chelsea, You're so wise, and I just thank you. And Adam. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm talking to you anyway, but thank you so much. And I'll let you get to your next color.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you gie.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I will bye bye. Thank you. Oh. We really helped her.
Speaker 3: You know. I feel like it all comes down to I think the number one hat trick of Trump's is that, And it's fundamental that he turns the truth into a political position. He's convinced everyone that the truth is a far left radical political position. So when resented, like if she wrote up a bunch of evidence like she yes said you, it's just going to be seen as propaganda and.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you know, right right.
Speaker 2: But it's nice when when people are really not when they're tormented, but when you can really actually help them, you know, like come to it, because all you really need is an outside perspective. I believe with any situation, you need someone who's not involved in your life to kind of give you some fool black.
Speaker 1: Because no one else, you know, no one's going to steer you wrong unless you're completely a malevolent person trying to trying to ruin people's lives.
Speaker 2: Okay, Adam, I love talking to you. I'm so glad you're here. I mean, oh, I got your DM. You asked me that you were like, I sent you a video.
Speaker 3: Yeah it didn't play.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even though I sent you a video, So that was news to me.
Speaker 1: It was probably telling you how great you were in severance or something. I do a lot of video messaging because I feel like, I like to bring that back.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've lost the art of that. But you guys can see Adam right here on Netflix. You can watch The Whisperman with de Niro and another one of my favorites, Michelle Montan. She is in it as well, and Adham plays de Niro's son in this.
Speaker 3: Movie, and Michael Keaton's in it.
Speaker 1: Michael Keaton. Oh, I don't want to give that away. I thought that was a giveaway.
Speaker 3: Is that a secret?
Speaker 1: Well, well, Michael Keaton's in the movie too. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 3: I'm just so glad, Chelsea, because we've run into each other a bunch over the years, and you're always so kind and so cool and funny, and I'm a fan of your yours regardless. So I'm glad we finally got to like sit down and chat. It was really great.
Speaker 1: Likewise, I feel the same way about you. Thank you. Thanks, Thanks Adam.
Speaker 4: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia.
Speaker 4: Follow Chelsea on All socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Catherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Katherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at Chelseahmler dot com