Speaker 1: We start off with a classic whatso proby we have?
Speaker 2: I was gonna do more like proud lay Way. Hey, what about like the peak of the song.
Speaker 3: Spangle banda and.
Speaker 2: Okay, and were you planning on doing a big riff on the end? Okay? I mean we're out of time, so get out there.
Speaker 4: Hey, and welcome to No Dunks on Basketball Podcast on the Athletic Podcast Network. I'm your host for today, Trey Kirby, joined here by Tass Mellice in the classic Factory. We got JD behind the boards making the magic happen. No skeets today, but we do have a special guest. She's a women's basketball staff writer and co host of the Athletic Women's Basketball Show, Sabrina Merchant. Sabrina, thanks for coming back on No Dunks and talking to us about the w.
Speaker 3: For a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: We'll get into the nitty gritty here in a little bit. But I mean we're halfway through the season. Good one so far. It feels like it to me, pretty good, pretty good. I think I think everyone's paying attention. We're just one. Yeah, yeah, definitely, everybody's paying to attention, paying attention. We'll get into that in a little bit as well. But there was a big, big time game in the w last night between the first place New York Liberty second place Connecticut Son tied going into the fourth quarter, but the Liberty were just a little bit too much. Really great defense, I thought from New York, even without reigning MVP Brianna Stewart, another starter bet Naija Laney Hamilton missing as well. Thirty points though from Sabrina Ynescut, do you have any takeaways from.
Speaker 3: The Liberty beating the Sun for the third time this season.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really strange that Elisa Thomas was on a minister restruction. I understand the Olympics are coming up, but this is a team that you have based in the playoffs before that you haven't managed to beat since facing in the playoffs, and to just give up a chance to potentially beat them when Brianda Stewart was out, when benigelni Hamilton was out, just super super strange that Alyssa Thomas wasn't in the game for the last thirteen minutes of the game and kind of just took the air out of that one by the end of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an odd time of year because we got the All Star break coming up, but like you're saying, it's also the Olympic break for all of the w players, So Stuart's out resting to be ready for the Olympics. Exact same for Alyssa Thomas. This isn't the kind of thing you encounter most years and the w having to actually rest up and load manage for a complete other tournament on.
Speaker 3: The other side of the world.
Speaker 4: But that's how it went down last night, and to me, it just kind of looked like the way things go for the Liberty and the Sun played out the exact same way. The Liberty they make a ton of three pointers. The Sun they're not a great three point shooting team, and when it comes down to it, you got to be able to shoot.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, Yeah, yeah, I'm back to the threes. Sereno's hot six and eleven from three, Although she hinted this past weekend that she wasn't going to be in the WNBA Three Point Contest, which happens on Friday. We still don't have the names, Serena, but I wanted to have it.
Speaker 5: Ask you a two park question.
Speaker 1: Number one, do you think Sabrina will take part on Friday in the three point Contest. And two you mentioned on WNBA Show How watching her last year in the three point Contest, and that performance was one of the wildest things you've seen in person, So please give us a little taste, little memory of what happened there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think, first of all, she has to be in this year's three points. She got she set a record last year at thirty seven points in that shootout out of a possible forty, and she obviously goes on to the NBA All Star Weekend where she has the shootout against Steph which is this massive event on NBA All Star Saturday night, and for her not to defend her title would just be a travesty, frankly, especially when and one rookie Kaylyn Clark is right there potentially waiting to take it from her. So I think it would just be a huge miss for Sabrina not to be in it. And it's you know, it's just like a minute of shooting, just didn't practice all that much. Like clearly, clearly things have been working for Sabrina in twenty twenty four. But yeah, going back to twenty twenty three was so funny because, uh, you know the michelob Alter Arena where the all starking was in Las Vegas last year. They were like practicing their graphics ahead of time just to make sure everything was ready to go for the skills challenge and the shootout, and they had Sabrina's name plastered as the winner ahead of time in case this happens, we want to be ready to go. And then not only does Sabrina you know, what did she do any because.
Speaker 1: There's sure you just you just saw it for a second, so I had to ask, so go ahead and keep on going.
Speaker 2: You kind of forgot how many she had made in a row because I think she missed her second shot, and so it wasn't like, oh, she like hasn't missed yet. But then like you get to the third rack and it's like, wait, she made all of those and she made the starry ball. Is that what it's called? I don't know. Oh yeah, it is the very bright colored green ball. You know, that's a little bit deeper, that's very much in Sabrina's range. But it's I mean, anytime you can get three point legend Ali quickly to say like you are the New three point Queen. I will not come back to try to challenge you, like, you know, you've done something very very cool.
Speaker 1: She has to, she has to this weekend. She said, I'm not shooting. Well, maybe it's just not going to be for me this year. But then she goes six of eleven from three. That's why I included that set because now she can't say no, she has to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, she's on a hot streak right now. But thirty seven for forty man, that was, Yeah, that was incredible.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 4: It was so special that they're like, we got to get you in the NBA Three Point Contest and then it was the best part of NBA All Star Weekend. So hopefully she says yes, Hopefully she defends her title, and hopefully.
Speaker 3: Caitlyn Clark goes in it as well, because I think everybody would be tuned in to see that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you saw this from the game last night in New York, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: It's the New York Liberty.
Speaker 4: It's an in game, a little bit of entertainment they do on the JumboTron and they're talking about how they like to put their toilet paper on the whole. Let's take a look.
Speaker 5: Because it's driving me crazy.
Speaker 2: It definitely if anyone.
Speaker 4: Puts a favorite own a pray, oh my gosh, over come on anything you know under you need to.
Speaker 2: Check in with yourself and see what's going to stop right.
Speaker 4: Probably, Yeah, we're all at ask question because I'm like, hey, she's basic to me.
Speaker 2: So he's forty Oh I am me for sure? Yeah, and I have no reason for it, and it's oh be sure anybody that does it's like any because then we take it out play. Yeah, so you just got it down because why do you watch your hands on the toilet paper and they need why?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 2: So you just pulled out what you need.
Speaker 5: Wow, I can't believe. I can't believe there's so many a's exactly.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe this was so even actually, So two questions for you, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Number one, obviously A or B.
Speaker 4: And number two, is this the kind of division that could tear apart the New York liberty? The infighting about how people are rolling their toilet paper?
Speaker 2: I think I find myself in the Courtney Vanderslute range of its B. But I'm not entirely sure why. It just sort of had that that's the way it goes. But no, oh my god, Team Chemistry or the New York Liberty is just fantastic. I'm surprised I didn't have La chime in and with her preferred choice of toilet paper arrangement like that seems like a Romsted opportunity to me.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's a great question because there are some serious stars on the New York Liberty and Brianna Stewart, a two time MVP, Sabrina Ynescu, one of the biggest names in the WNBA, great player John Quell Jones has an MVP as well. She's been playing great. But is Ellie the biggest star on the team. This is like one of the top mascots in sports right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of incredible, right, I Mean, she comes out with the head sprung music and the fourth Core like does the Ellie Stomp. Everybody's talking about her, even people I know who are NBA fans who are only really familiar with the Nixon the Nets in New York. They know about Ellie. And if I were Stewie or sab I would be a little a little wary of how much tension now setting Apparently Ellie's doing some some clutch babysitting for Brandon Stewart while her kid is running out of the court during postgame interviews. So I guess that's enough to endear herself to the basketball superstars on the New York Liberty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the real big three right there, Stewie, Sab and Ellie the elephant unbeatable combo. And it's working well for the Liberty right now. They're twenty one and four, first place in the WNBA. Like I said, Connecticut Sonner right behind them in the standings. Then go Seattle Storm, Las Vegas, Aces, and Minnesota Links. These are the top five teams in the league right now. Realistically, who has a chance at the title this year?
Speaker 2: I think there's an inner three. I would say New York, Las Vegas and Minnesota. And I say Minnesota because they're the only team to have actually beaten Vegas in New York this season. When the FISA Collier has played, they've been absolutely outstanding. Like we saw them in the Commissioner's Cup, you know, convincingly take down New York. They did it earlier in the season against the Liberty as well. Just the way Collier has been playing like very much MVP level. It's a real shame that she is yet another Olympian who has missed some games coming into this break. But yeah, I think I think it's those three obviously, you know, Liberty and Aces coming off of that epic finals meeting a year ago, and the other six times they met during the regular season and Commissioners Cup were all just great games and they were clearly a class of themselves ahead of the rest of the league. And I think I think Minnesota has entered that circle just with the way they've played defense this year, and Collier just you know, taking another step where I think she's formally on that Stewie level this year.
Speaker 1: Actually, you mentioned the finals from last year. The two powerhouses got there at the Liberty and the Aces and Trey went through some of the standings of the records because it's a little different this year. How yes, the Liberty are managing to run the East, but the center too far back, and then the Aces are right up there, right, very very close with the Storm and the Links. My question is we saw both powerhouses get there in the end last year, not really an issue. Both got there no problem. This year it feels a little different. You mentioned those Links and how good they are defensively defending the three point ball, one of the best ever. And then I heard you talk about Kaylin Clark being in Minnesota and it was almost a road game for the Fever, And I just mentioned that because I just am curious. All the eyeballs are on the WNBA this year. There's so many out there. I just wonder is it better for the league to go back to to feel like what it was last year with the powerhouses getting there, or is it the parody being better where the Minnesota Links are damn good and they should have more fans out there with all the eyeballs out there, is it better for the league to go a little parody or is it more of the powerhouses they get the eyeballs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I go back and forth with this a lot because I think super teams make it really easy to zone in on a couple places, and then like that's a very natural entry point for everybody. So I think like casual fans find it a lot easier, just like find out Goliath and that's like the team I'm going to check in and root for the team that's playing against them. Or you know, whatever that happens to be. But this rookie class has kind of upended everything. Like it's not so much that parody has inserted itself into the w It's more like, oh, there's all these players like we know really really well, and we just want to check in on their teams. Like I think if Cameron Brink had been healthy, then people would be talking more about the Los Angeles Sparks and obviously Caitlin and Indiana and Angel in Chicago. We are drawing a lot of interest. And I don't know that they're lending like parody to the league so much because I still think those teams are very much like six seven eight, not really going to contend to win a playoff series. So I think I think super teams are still very good in terms of people like watching greatness and they like watching you know, David take down great teams. But yeah, I kind of like, I kind of like the concentration talent, especially in the league that it's the small with twelve teams, like you can get some just absurd collections of talent like we're seeing in New York, like we're seeing in Las Vegas, And I think that's really fun to check in on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, New York has been dominant all year. They had a chance last season. The Aces slow start for them, though, six and six, I think that was as many games. Six losses was as many as they lost the entirety of last regular season. They're ten and two since eight and two, I suppose with Chelsea Gray returning to the lineup. What did you make of the Aces slow start? Was it just kind of a complacency mixed with injury.
Speaker 3: We'll turn it on when it really matters sort of deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because they didn't have any complacency coming off of the twenty two title. And you know, there's this thing with great teams that they constantly find ways that people are theoretically disrespecting them and using that as like chips on their shoulders to motivate them going forward. And I think there was a lot of that. Oh, nobody respected us in twenty twenty two. We're going to show you what we're actually made of in twenty twenty three for the Las Vegas Aces. But they can't really use that to rely on in twenty twenty four. It's like, Okay, well, you not only won the title, you set a regular season wins record and one game four without two of your starters. So like, clearly there's a lot of respect for what Las Vegas is doing. And the only person on that team that seems to have a giant ship on her shoulder is Asia Wilson because of the way the MVP vote transpired in twenty twenty three, where she finished third and obviously got the one anomalists fourth place vote that presumably that voter will take that vote to their grave before explaining what happened in that situation. So I think I think it's really just like kind of like a we did this, like we're not going to really year up again until October, you know, when it really counts. And I think, honestly, the Olympics will a big part of this, Like Chelsea and Jackie and Kelsey Plumb, you know, like they're all gearing up for Paris, and it takes a lot of effort, you know, to go win a GOO medal and they want to be big participants in Team USA, and it's kind of hard to balance, you know, going all out in a WNBA season while still trying to make sure that you're ready to go with this time of year for the Olympics, and obviously Chelsea Gray had the injury that she was coming back from, and frankly, I don't know that she would even even come back when she did were it not for the Ace's poor record in the fact that they kind of just needed to bank some wins. So I wouldn't be too concerned with the Aces, like I think, you get them into the postseason, they'll be just fine. But it is a little disappointing that we saw like such the sustained run from greatness from them last year and now it's like, all right, well, we know we can do it. We're going to become one of those like flip the switch teams which are just significantly less interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's never fun to wait and see when you know how great a team can be. But like you mentioned, one person who hasn't had any complacency so far, Asia Wilson, averaging twenty seven points a game twelve rebounds alongside two steals and three blocks. Last year, we had an incredible MVP race in the w Like you said, basically three players were coming down to it and Brianna Stewart, Alyssa Thomas and then Asia Wilson. Of course, from what I can tell at this point halfway through the season, Asia Wilson is your choice as MVP.
Speaker 3: She seems to be the front runner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that it's Asia Wolson. Just like you mentioned the numbers that she's putting up, and you know, I kind of think like it gets lost when you have a forty minute game that she's averaging twenty seven points in twelve rebounds per game, but that's also you know, if you've extrapolated to a forty minute game that's like thirty three and sixteen rebounds or something of that nature. So just the ridiculous numbers that she's putting up are absolutely insane. And the level of dominance that she's playing with, like defensively, offensively, there's so many things that she's doing on to the court, like the blocks, the way she's protecting the paint without kandas Parker this year, I mean, I've just really never seen a season like this. I mean, you can look into the advanced stats and all of that, but it's just unbelievable what's happening with Age Wolson this year.
Speaker 4: Is there anybody else you think who could maybe knock her out of the top spot or at least give us a close race down the stretch here this season.
Speaker 2: I think the problem with New York is that there's too many good players, Like I don't really know who their MVP even is, Like Stewie is the defending MVP, but John Quell Jones was really really good to start the season, and Sabrina has come on incredibly well in like the last fifteen games or show. So it'd be really hard for me to pin one of the Liberty as the potential MVP. And I think that like cannibalizing of votes is going to work against them. But you know, and if Fisa Collier I mentioned her earlier earlier had a really great stretch, and if she comes out of the Olympics similar to the way she was playing back in May and June, I think is a you know, at least a first team All WNBA candidate, if not an MVP candidate. Well it's Thomas. Like the numbers are down a little bit this year, and I think part of the magic of her case last year was that Connecticut loses a starter and they're still just as good during the regular season and having a fully healthy lineup kind of dims like the story with Elissa Thomas, So I think it would really just have to be Collier going on as super sick run for Minnesota coming out of the break to give Asia any competition. But like I mean, we're kind of heading towards like unanimous territory for asuals and which is absolutely insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the coolest thing that can happen in an MVP race outside of like a legendarily close MVP race as somebody being the unanimous choice. But the Sun are interesting to me because when we talked about teams who could realistically win the title, you left them out, even though they are second in the league right now. Played the Liberty pretty well last night. Connecticut has made the finals or the semi finals in each of the last five seasons. They've been one of the final four for five straight years. They've got an MVP candidate and Alyssa Thomas. But I'm kind of with you, it just feels like it's never going to happen for the Sun.
Speaker 3: How are they ever going to get over the hump?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I mentioned like Minnesota being the team that has beaten Vegas in New York this year, Like, not only has Connecticut not beaten Vegas, they have also not beaten New York. So you had a breakthrough that duopoly at some point for me to take this team seriously as a title contender. And you know you mentioned the threes, Like they just don't get a lot of volume from their three point shooters. It's kind of what happens when you're starting DJ Carrington, who's like more of a defensive player at point guard. And Ty Harris's shooting percentage has gone down significantly from last year when she was admittedly the number one three point percentage in the WNBA. But there's just not enough spacing. I think, like you can kind of congest in on Alyssa Thomas and Bree Jones and unless to want of Bonner's having like a spectacular night, it's really hard for me to see Connecticut having the type of offense to really keep up with a Las Vegas or New York. Yeah, it's it's a bummer because, like there's such an interesting style of play, and like Aelissa Thomas is unlike almost anyone you will watch on the basketball court, you know, mainly because she has no working shoulders. But it's just like a unique specimen and I would really love for something like that to manifest itself in you know, ultimate glory.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I don't see enough perimeter help in Connecticut. And it's it's just a bummer because like that's the Aces and the Liberty. You're just bursting with guards who can just diice you up, and Connecticut hasn't proven have an answer for that yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems to be the problem.
Speaker 4: Is that the Aces and the Liberty are great defensively just like Connecticut is. But then the Aces and Liberty are also great offensively, whereas Connecticut is a meager third on offense behind all of their offensive rebounding and physicality. I don't know, we made it twenty minutes without doing a big time Caitlin Clark discussion. But what's it been like covering the w this year with Caitlin Clark in the league. One of the biggest like indicators to me was the All Star voting. Asia Wilson went from ninety five thousand All Star votes leading the league last year to over six hundred thousand All Star votes this year, and I was like, what six times as many people are watching the w right now.
Speaker 3: It kind of feels like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it absolutely feels like that. I mean, you know this is like very inside basebally, but like when I go to cover practices for teams that are visiting Los Angeles, it's usually like just me going to hang out, you know, if there's not a lot of interest in road teams from the usual Sparks crew, And when like the Fever were in town, they were like the thirteen people just there ready to go. It's like, oh, yeah, like this this is the thing that happens now, Like people are interested in watching Caitlyn Clark even if that's a practice. And you know, you've seen the attended summers just rock it up across the country. I mean, they fit more people in Crypto dot com Arena to see the Indiana Fever play the Sparks than they do during a normal Lakers game, which is just astounding. And it's not just Caitlin. It's like Angel and Kate Martin gets louder cheers on the road for three pointers than just about anybody I've ever heard. You know, the Iowa effect is very real. It's been really really fun just seeing more people come in more people have like a vested interest in wanting to see Indiana do well or wanting to see Chicago do well, and making their way to games and having things to talk about. Like I've had so many of my NBA friends who just randomly text me with questions about, like, well, why is in Indiana running this? At the end of the game, I'm like, there's not even a game on right now, like are we watching a replay? Like what's happening? But it's it's been great, you know, just more people involve, more people interested, and it's been it's been really really fun.
Speaker 1: It was great because I always saw those votes as well, they increased by six times, and I wondered, is this a social media thing? Are we just increasing everything by four x now? Because that happened in the NBA All Star voting as well. But then you see the attendance numbers and those are real here being in Atlanta, the dream went from the Gateway Center Arena to State Farm Arena for both Indiana Fever games because people were coming out to washing them, so that is obviously what is happening, and just the conversations around I mentioned social media how much it is happening. It did suck to see can Brink get hurt, But there's because there are so many fans that are people are just behind these stars.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, a lot of stars came into the WNBA this year, Sabrina, are you has the rookie class been like as good as you expected? Because everybody was talking this class up. Obviously Caitlin Clark at the top. Cameron Brink came in as a great defensive prospect as well as playing great until she got hurt. Angel Reese uh had won of Angel Reese was a big time player. Kamila Cardozo big time player as well, a lot of known rookies were coming into the league gonna be stars. Have they been as impressive as you thought they would? Yeah, it's kind of wild that they've lived up to expectation.
Speaker 2: I mean, Caitlin, you know, obviously the tough start to the season with the schedule that the Indiana Fever were handed, like did them no favors. But you put a little practice time in, she gets to like learn a lea of Boston's middle Dane Like, good things have happened in Indiana since that toward like eleven game stretch to start the season, and I think people are seeing just what kind of playmaker she is and how exciting that can be at the professional level. Angel Rees has been honestly much better than I expected. I didn't really think that her her rebounding would translate to the WNBA because she is a bit smaller than most of the four she's gone up against, but like that motor is unbelievable. I rarely seen a player play as hard as angel Resa is on a possession of possession basis, and she's been really good for Chicago Sky team that I expected to be out of the playoffs and is probably going to end up at least in like a seven seed this season. So just really impressive from her. Eliah Edwards and Washington I think has been really good. Obviously. Injuries have kind of kept her in and out of the lineup, and pretty much everybody who's going to the Olympics has been in like some measure bubble wrap for the last two weeks, so I haven't seen a ton out of Edwards recently, but she was great during that month of June. Rakia Jackson in LA just like a boocket all the time. The Sparks are running their offense through Rakia Jackson down the stretch against the Las Vegas Aces, like not once but twice this regular season, which is just an astounding thing to think about. So, yeah, you're just seeing so many rookies who have the potential to be real franchise defining players down the line, like true all stars. And we've seen classes like this before. I think twenty nineteen really stands out. That was the year that and Ifisa Collie or Arique Goumbalwalle Jackie Young came out and they've obviously all been really great for their respective teams. But for these players to have the star power coming into the WNBA, to have all of the expectation and to live up to it, I think is just like remarkable and exactly what the league needed to take the next step forward and build finally, you know, carry that college momentum into the pro Sason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard not to be an Angel Rees fan. After watching her against Kaitlin Clark the last time they played the postgame interview and said, I've got some dog in me in this obvious like you just said, she may be a little undersized against fours, but she is out there working extremely hard against Kaitlin Clark's team, but they play far different positions, And everybody talking about this, these two teams being a rivalry. Do you see that happening in the future for the Sky and the Fever.
Speaker 2: I think the geography really helps, you know, anytime two teams are that close to each other, you know, it's easier to create a rivalry. Like conferences don't really mean anything in the WNBA other than Commissioner's Cup groups, And like that's a five game starts during a forty game regular season, So I can't imagine that's going to be like the main impetus for the rivalry. But like just the level of intensity in the three games thus far. You know, we've seen like just incredible crowds, a little extra intensity during the course of the game. Obviously the flag are files which I don't really want to get into, but like just a little you know, extra oomph in the matchup between the two of them, Like they clearly don't want to talk about each other, like at a really extended level, which is always a good sign that there's some animosity there. That great comeback that Chicago had against Indiana in the last game, I think you know, Angel and Caitlin have just been placed on stages where they had to compete for in really big stages before, and you know, for it to be a rivalry, I think they like have to meet in the playoffs at some point, or at the very least, Like I don't know, they'd have to bee in the playoffs, because there's the only way that you're going to really really build some stakes between the two of them. But I do think that just them coming in, like having such fastly different fan bases out of college. You know, the way they play is so different, it's very easy to latch onto one or the other. And the fact that both of the teams have like really good young talent that you can still grow along with, like the fact that Kennedy Carter is there and Aleah Boston is there and Kimilla Cardoso. I mean, there's just so much that could keep getting better with both of these teams, and I think as Indiana reaches its potential in Chicago becomes even better than they thought they could be. I really hope that this is a great robbery because you know, Indiana hasn't been the playoffs since twenty sixteen. Chicago obviously won the title in twenty twenty one, but like ownership group is a little weird and like we don't know if free agents want to go there, So for them to have like this built in core of Cardos so recent Carter is just it's great. And I do think that we're going to get like some real enmity between the two. And I'm just so pumped for their fourth regular season game because like that thing is just going to be a massive, massive.
Speaker 4: Viewership every Yeah, it's going to be awesome, and both teams are like playing a lot better.
Speaker 3: I'm with you. I'm surprised that the Sky are this good.
Speaker 4: I thought after James Wade left the team to go coach the Toronto Raptors that it was going to be a long time before Chicago was even sniffing the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But the fever.
Speaker 4: They started out zero and five, bottomed out at one and eight. They're ten and six since playing Caitlin Clark style basketball a little faster, I think, And then the Sky are like an Angel Rees team. They play hard, they're really physical, they rebound, they played defense. Maybe there'll be a kinetic Sun in a few years, but who cares. We'll worry about that later. It feels like both of these teams are made immediately in their franchise players' images. So who's the rookie of the year, I think is going to be the question a lot of people are asking during the second half of the season, because they both have really solid cases and are huge reasons why their teams are having these surprisingly good seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be quite the decision to have to make down the line, It's already been quite the decision to have to make this far. I mean Ben Pickman, our fellow WNBA writer at The Athletic and I have had this discussion so many times already if you want to listen to the podcast or readar debate like it's all there for you at the Athletics dot com. But I mean, I've kind of leaned Caitlin thus far, just because I think the degree of difficulty for being a point guard as a rookie and the WNBA is really challenging, and for every defense to be keened on her as the number one item want the scouting report, when like Elia Buston exists and Elissa Smith ex sas just shows how important she is to what Indiana is doing, and you know, the last ten games or so, she's been, you know, maybe the second best point guard in the WNBA, which is like a crazy thing to think as a rookie in this league when it's so veteran heavy. But I mean, I wouldn't be grudge anyone voting for Angel like the sky or just like you said, so much better than we expected heading into the season, and Angels on off numbers, like really paint that picture. She has been a genuine source of like positive impact for Chicago all season. It's just so hard to compare because stylistically they're so different, right, Like what Angel is doing versus what Caitlin's doing, the amount of responsibility that Caitlin has to direct the offense versus what Angel's doing defensively, they're just completely different cases. And honestly, like at this point, I wouldn't care who won. It's gonna be a good story either way. But I think it's so cool that we actually have this discussion because Rookie of the Year hasn't been contested like this since maybe twenty seventeen, and even then, like Alicia Gray versus Britney Sykes was not like, you know, everybody's talking about this kind of race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a little bit different.
Speaker 4: It's exciting to have like two of the biggest names actually playing well and up against each other.
Speaker 3: It just feels like, with the way.
Speaker 4: Their careers ended in college, the way they came into the WNBA, the fact that they're in Illinois and Indiana, it's just perfect for them to continually smash into each other. So, Brina, what you think about Angel Reese chasing the double double streak set a WNBA record with fifteen consecutive double doubles, though it did end just recently against the New York Liberty when they were quadruple teaming her in the post to keep her to eight points.
Speaker 2: It got a bit much for me, honestly, I thought we were going in the stat patting direction, you know, like there was definitely some hey, one and a half minutes left, Angel still in single figures points or single fiegars rebounds, we need to address this. I think it really hit like a peak for me when they were playing Atlanta last week and they're up by seven points with like a position to go. I think there's like fifty seconds left on the clock, and like this is traditionally a dribble out the clock situation, and Angel calls for the ball on the post because she only has nine points, and that's why I lost it. I was like, no, I'm out on the streak. But we have jumped the shark here. And kudos to the New York Liberty for throwing the quadruple team at her and just ending this discussion, because it is very cool obviously that she had set a mark that was originally held by Candice Parker, probably one that no one's gonna chase for a little while now. So we have the record, we don't need to, you know, inflate it to any degree. And I'm glad that someone you know gave her a little taste for rown medicine at the stat adding because it's just not basketball.
Speaker 3: Come on, guys, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: Serena, I have an odd question for you, because you're so close to the WNBA. Is there a reason that players like Asia Wilson and Angel Reese wear just one like sleeve? Is it a medical issue? Is it something that they're doing just for style? I need to know the second part. Why do they call a like cover le like sleeve a sleep? I mean that's just a weird word. Don't you think will they change that.
Speaker 5: It is right sleeve? Anyways?
Speaker 2: Do they do call it like a pant? Like call it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was totally thinking that as soon as I said, as soon as I wondered that, what would you call something that covers one leg?
Speaker 5: Yeah, pant? I don't know.
Speaker 1: There isn't a really good one to rival sleeve. I was cover is what I say when I say it. But I don't know even even what an NBA player wears on just one arm. I guess it's called a sleeve, but what it's just like it's even that word.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't understand why you object to an arm sleeve when sleeps literally a sleep. I think a leg sleeve pretty adequately describes what we're talking about. Like you can just, you know, pick somebody out of a crowd who doesn't even know Jah Wilson and say that she wears a leg sleeve and they would be able to envision what it is you're referring to. Yes, yeah, but yeah, I think I think Asia is the first one to do it, and it is purely style related. Asia's got a lot of style quirks, like the shorts come up really high, the shoulders get a little twisted in, and the people who have worn leg sleaves have followed Asia, like Deja Kelly is one of the prominent ones in college. She's been playing Oregon next year. Angel Reese obviously one of them. Tea Cooper another SEC guard. So I think this is an Asia just like look situation, and because Asia is the greatness that is Asia Wilson, other people have followed in her her steady.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's going to happen in the NBA as well.
Speaker 4: I saw Lebron in practice was wearing one one single leg sleeve like going through Lakers.
Speaker 2: Why isn't san Attabayo doing it?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, exactly. People need to get on this nothing man, Now that you mentioned it, I think we should call pant legs pant slaves because you don't call it. You don't call your shirt slaves. You don't call them shirt arms. Doesn't make sense. We got a standardized things here. I saw a report today I'm the Athletic from Mike vorkanoff Sabrina that to WNBA media rights deal is wrapped up in the NBA's media rights deal, so the league is going to be receiving up to two point two billion dollars over the next eleven years since their rights deal is done. Alongside the NBA's rights deal, they'll be partnering with ESPN, NBC, and Amazon. Still obviously waiting to see what Warner does in this whole thing, and I guess it's actually possible for the w to get some more partners as well, up to six they're eligible for. What kind of impact is all of this money coming into the w NBA going to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to set the table real quick, I think the baselines for this deal were the NWSL just signed a deal that was four years, two hundred and forty million, so that's about sixty million annually. So the WNBA deal is, you know, within three or four times that, And the MLS signed a deal a couple of years ago that was two point five billion over ten years and heading into this season, and the WNBA had very comparable levels of viewership, and you know, for the MLS to get that number and WNBA to still be living in it's like fifty million dollars total didn't make sense. So for them to get closer to that number is a lot better. Obviously for their financials. I think the big thing here is the WNBA has the opportunity to opt out of its current collective bargaining agreement at the end of this season and then write a new one that would go into effect starting in twenty twenty six. And you know, one of the main factors in terms of WNBA players not getting as much money is the revenue in the league hasn't been as high, and so for revenue on the TV deal to jump six times, you know, over the average life of this yal to what it currently is obviously puts a lot more money into the player's pockets. It gives them an opportunity to potentially ask for greater share of the basketball revenue. I think they get around like ten percent of the br at this point, which is you think about the NBA they get fifty percent, So it's a big difference, and I think this just gives the league the opportunity to improve player experience across the board. Like you know, there's been a big talk about charter flights in WNBA, and this is the first year that every team has had charters around the country. And part of the reason for that is that the league didn't have enough revenue to sustain it. And now you look at all of this money coming in from TV deals and if the price of charter flights is twenty five million dollars a year, that can easily be sustained by the extra money that's coming in from media rights. And just think about all the other levels of player experience like housing and practice facilities and all these things that could be augmented by extra revenue coming in. It. It's really exciting for what is possible for the players. It just gives them more options, like when you're talking about what you can ask for in the next CBA, because the league can't say that they're cash poor anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty eye opening for a lot of people. I think when Caitlin Clark went from planned in college to join in the WNBA, you saw all the graphics about what her salary was going to be as a first year player.
Speaker 3: But all this.
Speaker 4: Money coming in expansion teams joining as well. The business side of the w seems to be going pretty well. We got a couple of teams coming into the league soon. Do you think that this additional this new media rights deal means that outside of the couple of teams. We already know that there will be more expansion coming to the WNBA, or is that still like five years.
Speaker 3: Down the line.
Speaker 2: I think Commissioner Kathy Ingelbert has said that she wants two more teams in place by twenty twenty eight. Okay, so we get up to sixteen teams by twenty twenty eight, and I think that's a good number just because there's only so much you can expand the league scheduling to keep it in that summer window, you know, between college basketball seasons. So I think sixteen is probably the right number. You know, any more expansion and you turn into like MLS territory for lack of better word. But I think that's probably a good place that they're going to stop, unless there's just like this insane demand for teams, you know, to want to get into the league, which you know, I'm still not sure is exactly the case.
Speaker 4: Wow, interesting to know one of the teams near the bottom of the standings. I got to ask because they're to my heart, close to my home here, the Atlanta Dream. Last year they made the playoffs for the first time in five seasons. They added a future Hall of Famer and Tina Charles. They started four and two, they beat the Aces. Since then three and fourteen, they've lost seven straight heading into a matchup with a great Minnesota team tonight. What is going on with the Atlanta Dream this season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the wrong person to ask that, because I just truly hate the style of basketball just does nothing for me. I'm I'm sorry to be the one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, it hasn't been a great season to watch.
Speaker 2: You know. I mean a lot of it is Ryan Howard is out. She is like the primary source of spacing on this team in one on one shot creation, Like Alicia Grace had quite a good year. But I think, you know, Ryan is comfortably the best player on this team, and to be missing her for such a long stretch another Olympian going into Paris with some tough injury issues just really bums me out. You know, they tried to address the point guard issue from last season because this was a team that was just like always getting sped up and not being very disciplined when they had leads. And then of course Jordan Canada gets hurt immediately and has played like just a couple of games this season. Eryl Powers recently has been out. Hayley Jones not really a point guard despite what Atlanta's trying to pigeonhole her into. So it just is really hard to address any of the you know, the issues that they had last season in terms of, you know, their offense, and then defensively, they just they just give up so many threes. Like I don't understand why the system hasn't changed yet. It's it's a really weird theory, like we're just going to pack the pain as much as possible and let you shoot, and I guess against Connecticut.
Speaker 3: It could work.
Speaker 2: But like most teams in the W like that seems like an invitation to have a really good offensive night. So, uh yeah, a lot of a lot of weird things happening out. They don't even know their draft pick for this upcoming season, which is a real problem if you're the Atlanta dream Like, you really have to get into the playoffs. So you know, best of luck for Ryan Howard's health in Jordan Canada's health, because that's what you're going to need in the second part of the season.
Speaker 4: So you're saying to start prepping for the next season already, get healthy.
Speaker 2: You really got to get into the eight seed. You don't want to give up a lottery pick. That's just embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's a great point. We got the w NBA All Star Game coming up this weekend. It's in Saturday, or it's on Saturday in Phoenix. We've got events prior to that this year because we've got the Olympics going. It's going to be Team USA versus the w NBA All Stars, led by Caitlyn Clark and Angel Race amongst many other players. What are you watching for on Saturday, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: So many things. I'm excited for dear Cahanby to get to play against fur members of the Las Vegas Aces, because dear Camby loves playing against Las Vegas. I'm excited for want of Honor and was Thomas fiance Is to have to guard one another in that game since they've been teammates for the last four years in the entirety of their relationship. I'm excited for Caitlin Reece and Angel Clark, sorry Kaitlynd Clark and Angel Reaes to share the court together and potentially Clark to throw some you know, assist Angel inside. But you know, I kind of just want to see like Team USA healthy. I feel like it's been a theme that I've brought up a lot over the last half an hour or so. It's just a lot of these Olympians have not been a great place physically, and I just want to see what that team looks like altogether as twelve players. And I worry that it's not going to happen by Saturday. But you know, I'm a huge homer when it comes to international basketball, and I just want them to look as overwhelming and dominating as possible. And it'd be nice if that started out with a win against the WNBA All Stars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody says we when it comes to international basketball, and nobody has a problem with it.
Speaker 3: That's we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going into Saturday, I mentioned the Olympians injuries and so many of them across the board, and wondering how they're going to go about it. Will they just kind of make sure that they're healthy through it, or are they going to take down Team WNBA the way they weren't able to do in twenty twenty one, the last time this happened the Team WNBA one. Obviously, I can say we now had no problem winning the.
Speaker 5: Olympics at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: But how do you see that playing out in terms of the Team WA versus the Olympic team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's just a lot more motivation on the WNBA side than there is on the Team USA side, because, as you mentioned in twenty twenty one, not only did the Olympic team lose to Team WNBA, they then lost an exhibition and the next came to Australia before going on to you know, win the gold medal in Tokyo. So it's not like they really need this tune up to prove that they're ready to go, you know, for Paris next in a couple of weeks. Whereas everybody on the WNBA, like you have somebody like Arique Goumbawale, who has talked about the politics of Team USA and her not being able to be on the Olympic team, and Nkokumaka, who is famously snubbed multiple times for the Olympic team and probably has a little bit of an extra grind with the Olympic committee. And then you have players like you know, Caitlin Clark and Angel Rees who would love to be on the Olympic team at some point. And this is sort of their like audition and also like why didn't you select me this year type of things. So I think the motivation is just so much higher on the WNBA side, and the fact that they can afford to play really hard and if they get a little nicked up, it's fine because they're off for four weeks, Whereas you get a little nicked up on Team USA that could, you know, be potentially problematic when you get to Paris. So I think just like the stakes are so much clearer for Team WNBA, other than like Diana's Rossi and Kalia Copper and Britney Griner who probably want to put on a good show for their home crowd in Phoenix. I just don't think the motivation is there for Team USA. So rather than try very hard and potentially get embarrassed store potentially get hurt, I think the key is just to take it easy, you know, try to put on a little show for the fans and get started with your meaningful prep on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's such a unique situation where you're named an All Star but you're somehow still a snub. So the motivation for the WNBA All Stars is just built.
Speaker 3: In right there. Here's a dumb take.
Speaker 4: I think that the WNBA All Stars will win every time they play versus tam Usa, just because they care a little bit more, and like you're saying, Sabrina, they can.
Speaker 3: Go all out because they got four weeks.
Speaker 4: Afterwards, you mentioned some of the Phoenix players wanting to put on a show. One guy who is going to be putting on a show, Pitbull, announces that halftime act for the WNBA All Star Game this weekend. In his tweet, Pitbull said, I was raised by a woman, and a woman made me a man. You excited for Pitbull, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I was more excited before the tweet, but now generally very excited for pitball.
Speaker 4: Dalle should be fun. That is Saturday. But then the league has taken a big break. You said four weeks for the Olympics. The regular season will resume August fifteenth. What should we be watching for in the second half of this season?
Speaker 2: A few things. I think if Vegas finally decides it's time to play like a real basketball team, you know, they haven't played really good defense for the majority of this regular season, so I think if they recognized it, these last week team games are meaningful to them like, you know, you mentioned the top five teams I think are all realistic contenders. You don't want to be number five because then you don't get home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs, and you could potentially have to go to the number four seed and like play two home games there and not even get to come back to your own arena, you know, in that first round, which is the best of three. So I think seeding is gonna be really important for those top five teams. Can Vegas turn it on, Can Connecticut like get a good win against Las Vegas or New York in those upcoming games, and then you know, obviously I always have my own the lottery because Page Becker's coming out in the twenty twenty five draft. You've got Dallas who probably didn't want to be here at this point, but they're they've fallen pretty far back. And do they still try to pack it in with Sathusavali or do they try to win some games and maybe get an eight seed and realize, like is there that big of a difference between a lottery pick and the number five pick? Who knows? And then that race, you know, for the final playoff spots with Indiana and Chicago and Atlanta, I think it's going to be really good. So yeah, i'd say the number one thing I have an eye on is like, what do the Aces look like after the break? Just because on paper that's another championship team, but like the way they've looked against Chicago last night or you know, in some of their recent games doesn't exactly scream three pet So yeah, those are probably the top items on my list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking forward to the ACE as it feels old school NBA ish where teams are just like, all right, flip that switch.
Speaker 5: We can do it. You know, we've seen it, We've done it before.
Speaker 1: Although I like, speaking of the NBA, the tray that you mentioned the WNBA team and how motivated they are, I'm very much looking forward to that because, yeah, you're totally right, going up against the Olympic team.
Speaker 5: That should be something that the NBA does at All Star weekend.
Speaker 1: We're trying to find some motivation for this as West it does not happen so some way, somehow. I mean, we've got we used to see Pitbull. I mean that's they're crossing over. We're seeing this crossover. Yeah, you're getting flow right of next year. I can already tell Yeah, I saw how excited you were for Pitbull Serena. It's got to be big for nothing.
Speaker 2: Screams high level basketball to me, like Pitbull. I hear his voice when I think NBA playoffs. Exactly, I'm here for it.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do this month?
Speaker 4: Four weeks until the w comes back, Like you mentioned that other stuff will be going on obviously with the Olympics, But how do you plan to spend these four weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really excited to watch the Olympics, first and foremost. I mean, I love handball and like canoeing and all these random things that come into my life once every four years that I will you put on the back burner again until Los Angeles in twenty twenty eight. But now I'm spending some time on the beach, you know, kind of check in with some college friends. It'll be a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to talk about things that the NBA should steal four weeks off in the middle of the season.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, like the bubble all over. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: We'll just take a break here, everybody get healthy, come back, and we'll have an awesome stretch run. I can't wait to see what happens. We'll keep reading your work, Sabrina. Can you tell people where they can find you and what you got I'm an out or anything else you want to plug?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So at the Athletic dot Com is all of our women's basketball stuff during the WNBA season. I've got like a weekly wrap up power ranking thing that comes out every Monday, where, incidentally, I also talked about Angel Ray's stat padding this week, so that's a fun little way to get into every week of the season. And Ben and I have a debate that comes out every Thursday where we pick one topic and just get at each other about why the other one's wrong, so that's always really fun. And we have the Athletic Women's Basketball Show that releases every Tuesday, so that's I think the best women's basketball podcast out there, so you should listen to it.
Speaker 4: I think so too. I'd love the debate you and Ben had about the Rookie of the Year. We linked it in the chat here, so people go and check that one out. Sabrina, Thank you so much. We'll have to talk to you soon once we get the w back at our Lives and get a little bit closer to playoff times.
Speaker 2: Thank you so Marina, Yeah, thank you so much. I'll have to bring my own WNBA jersey to wear next time. That was an error on my part. O.
Speaker 4: There we go, Candice Parker the goat. I'm sure you agree. We're going to take a look at tweet of the night, real quick.
Speaker 5: Tweet o the night.
Speaker 1: Wow, this was making the way around tweeter yesterday. It's Jalen Brown and Kaiser Gonzerjig at the game a summer league where the best mouth reading, the best lip reading happened with Jalen Brown and Kaiser Because Jalen Brown, as it's being quoted everywhere, comments about Bronnie not being a pro, and then they have this discussion. So it is Jalen Brown saying, I don't think Bronnie is going to be a pro, and con Drick says, I think he'll be on the G League team for sure, and Jalen says, I don't think so, I think because of his name he'll be on the Lakers. So he literally doesn't think he'll be a pro, doesn't he can't be a pro. And you could see Angel Reese, who is also there, listening to Jalen Brown when he says I don't think Bronnie is a pro.
Speaker 3: She not.
Speaker 1: She gets a little not although she says, I'm not taking part of this. But the next part with Jalen Brown actually commenting on this suite was really interesting. He said on a retweet on a re x whatever you call it, it's a flex to have your son alongside you in the NBA. It reflects greatness and longevity. Bronni has all the tools around him to be successful. I look forward to watching his growth. So he did not take back his statement whatsoever, and I like that about him. He's basically saying this is how I feel, and I can say that because people watching Bronnie James definitely felt that way. I know we had this discussion in Vegas. I think it's good for him to go to the G League. That's where he belongs. He needs to get better. I think his defense is solid, but obviously his offensive skills can improve a lot, and so that's where he should play. As Kaiser said, I think he's going to be in the CHI League, although Jalen says, nah, I don't know about that. I think his name just makes him a Laker for life. That being said, he can do both. He can play for a few games or be on the band for the Lakers and basically not play and come out with Dad at times like rare situations. I think that's that's what should happen. Anyways.
Speaker 5: I like how Gellen's defending himself and not just.
Speaker 1: Saying that that saying yeah, yeah, yeah, I said that.
Speaker 3: Yeah I said that.
Speaker 4: And it's hard to argue when you can literally see my lips moving and people are able to read the lips.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You're a pretty good lip reader, actually, and much better than me. I'm always impressed when people are able to figure out what they're saying.
Speaker 3: But I think you nailed that.
Speaker 4: They're both right because I think that Bronni will probably start the season with the Lakers. There's already been talk about him playing alongside Lebron during the first week of the season, and then he goes down to the G League to work on his game and hopefully for the Lakers, become a piece that can actually stick around and maybe even get into the rotation in the next couple of years. Because the Lakers are still a team trying to win a championship, right. That means they don't want to rely on any second round pick. They don't want to rely on any fifty fifth pick, and clearly Bronni just isn't quite ready to be contributing to a team like the Lakers. So, like Kaiser Gondrachek said on Twitter, though I think she may have deleted it already, the G League is a great place to work on your game. You'll get more touches, you'll get more opportunity, You'll have to play defense because that's why coaches are going to put you on the floor. It's a chance for Bronnie to prove that he actually deserves to be in the NBA.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, nobody.
Speaker 4: Wants to get sent to the G League, I don't think, but a lot of second round draft picks do.
Speaker 3: And it's nothing that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: Just go down there, prove that you're good enough to play, then come up and be a part of the real team.
Speaker 1: It is great to go down there and try and make yourselves better. That's exactly what Kaiser Gondrizi was implying, for sure. But they don't have that luxury like NBA players do to be able to go down to a G League team. It is good for them. It was interesting just following along the Summer League in this conversation because it is automatically thought of as a four year contract and Brian James is going to be there for four years.
Speaker 5: It's not all guaranteed. I was surprised to see.
Speaker 1: That actually after a while that it is only a couple of years guaranteed, and so who knows what happens beyond that that it's basically matching. No, it isn't past matching. It it lines up with your senior a little bit. Yeah, not completely, but yeah, it's a good thing for Rich Paul to have him signed this type of contract. This is a second round number fifty five pick to get money number one and to get to get this type of G League reps. Beside me, that's that's the important thing. But as you said, late second round picks don't usually help teams.
Speaker 5: They just do not.
Speaker 1: Second round picks don't usually help teams. Now, they drafted an old connect in the first line in the first rounds as their pick, and he looked good and Summerly's he's just looked solid period. He just looks like he's going to be part of the rotation, so they went Old there to help him out. But it is an interesting team because you see guys like Gary Trent. I'm sure you'll talk about it on Friday's drop, but guys that could have helped the Lakers, yeah in some way, shape or form getting signed somewhere else. So all in all, yeah, I bet it's some sad times, But really I don't think Barnie James is gonna be.
Speaker 5: He ain't starting, he ain't playing a.
Speaker 1: Ton of minutes on this team. So really it's it's not all that bad anyways. When it all comes down to, is Jalen Brown just comfortable saying stuff like he said about not being on the Olympic team And he said, Nike, what do you do?
Speaker 5: And I deserve to be on the Olympic team.
Speaker 1: And he backed that up as well, saying I think Nikki has something to do with it. Anyways, Winning Finals MVP gives you lets you do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's living his life.
Speaker 4: He just signed a three hundred million dollar contract in one Finals MVP. But my guess is that we don't see a lot of uncovered lips from Jalen Brown when he's sitting courtside anymore. After the way this sput down, I think if I'm the Lakers or a Lakers fan, the only thing I'm really feeling any type of way with Bronnie is that he does take up a roster spot.
Speaker 3: Gary Trent Junior just went for a veteran minimum.
Speaker 4: He would help a team like the Lakers a lot more than Bronnie is going to help them.
Speaker 5: Does take a roster spot. That is that is true.
Speaker 1: It's not a two way contract, which Rich Paula's agent said that ain't happen and we're not doing that.
Speaker 5: He got a contract, which which is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if Gary Trent would have been comfortable going to the Lakers or I mean it took for it took a long time here mid July for Gary Trent to be signed, So I wonder, ye what the situation was with the.
Speaker 3: Lakers there we shall see.
Speaker 4: I would go down to the Gateway Center arena to see Bronnie playing good point Bronni.
Speaker 3: Versus Kobe Buffkin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exciting times in the A TuS yesterday you talked to Joel about the MLB season, Yeah, about the All Star Game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, who won?
Speaker 3: It the Golden Glizzies.
Speaker 1: That's the Golden Glizzies were absolutely fun to hand out for the first half of MLB because it was it was. It was a legitimately fun first half and it was great to see show I hit a dinger in the All Star Game. Totally fun, it was. It was a good one. The discussion actually after the All Star Game was who has the worst All Star Game? Because it just feels like every like, every every league.
Speaker 4: Which ta like, which league is the least interesting to watch them?
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, because league wide, just sports wide. Yeah, whether it's NFL the most popular or in North America for sure, or whether it's the NBA or whether it's MLB or NHL. I love the Skills Contest, but you know, it's the same goes for NBA. I love the Saturday Night not the skills Contest, but the Dunk contest, Dunk Contest and the three point Contest. I like the surrounding events the NFL. I mean, they play like dodgeball or something. They play some weird stuff, and those are those are the more fun things when it comes to these sports. But I still to think MLB is is running it just because you have to play similarly, they don't play I guess as hard like they're not stealing bases, but I don't know. I like I like the uniforms. There's also debate about that. People are saying, oh, you like those ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like them.
Speaker 3: Loud, kind of old timey looking brownies.
Speaker 5: I think you throw the hat on. It's a combo. It's a combo of the hat.
Speaker 1: Hat looks fairly new, Jersey's fairly old. So it's like old guy, young guy, the old guy down low, young guy up top. That's what they should have called them. They would have sold. No, I'm not I'm not getting physical here. We're not talking.
Speaker 6: About just do it. Funny what you decided NFL worst All Star game. They don't even play their sport anymore. They play whatever they play flag football?
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they played flag football exactly. There's they don't want to get injured, is what it comes down to. The NFL says, hey, we're popular enough, we don't need to have an All Star game, an actual also game.
Speaker 3: It's after the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, weird.
Speaker 3: I guess in between the end of the season.
Speaker 5: Right, it's in between the super Bowl and all the playoffs. Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 4: Making me feel good about the NBA though we have it during the season, were so exciting.
Speaker 5: And we sure do. Yeah, we can all improve. I mean we brought it up here.
Speaker 1: We're talking about Sabrina with Sabrina about the team w NBA versus the Olympians. Now, it doesn't work for every season. They don't do that in a w NBA every season. They do it every four years. Now when it lines up, I wonder if the NBA can capitalize on that somehow, somehow.
Speaker 5: It just it's tough.
Speaker 1: But even the discussion we've had before about North America versus the world or US versus the world, Yeah, it's US versus the world because Canda would be on the opposing team and would be freaking awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That seems to be the way we can make the NBA All Star Game good again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that would work. Paul Skenes, that guy's pretty good.
Speaker 5: He's awesome.
Speaker 4: Flame thrower. Flame thrower al won the All Star Game. Yeah, I saw so great stuff for the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 1: They keep running Itales. The ale is good. Yeah, the White Sox don't. Well, have got a lot of good things.
Speaker 4: You don't think they're going to the World Series. Ill at home a little advantage.
Speaker 5: You never know what could happen in the second half.
Speaker 3: Turn it on.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're bad, They're very, very bad. But the AL is just running the show that keep winning. Although yeah, I think it is funny. Yeah, the All Star Game in every sport is just not like it's just name what it used to be. The show hay thing, show hay thing in from the National League, even though they didn't win, was the thing that stood out to me.
Speaker 5: Hitting a dinger.
Speaker 4: That's fun, hitting the ding dong. Yeah, so that's no bunch yesterday. Yes, talk with Sabrina today, great stuff. Thank you so much to her for coming on. We will be back on Friday with the drop to talk about some NBA stuff. Ain't a lot going on right now, Tess Matas Buzzellis is dominating Summer League.
Speaker 3: Love to see that, but otherwise it's.
Speaker 4: Like we might be doing forty five minutes on Gary Trent Junior going to the Bucks.
Speaker 3: Is he's the new Malik Beasley.
Speaker 4: People are saying tune in Friday to find out Brus you heard it here first.
Speaker 2: Have a great time, turn up, Love you guys, awesome.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: And remember the thing that Asia Wilson and Angel Rees were on their legs. It's called a leg sleeve, but I like your suggestion a pant leg pant or what.
Speaker 5: Do you wear? What are you wear on your arm?
Speaker 1: I guess it's a sleep that's so so. That's weird too too, because it's like a tight It's like it goes back to Allan Iverson, like what does that think?
Speaker 3: It's just a guess.
Speaker 4: He's a fabric on your Yeah, the panel that doesn't scratch you. That's why Ray Allen said he wore one.
Speaker 5: At least.
Speaker 3: Embrace the leg sleeves. Embrace the w