Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's a back to work Wednesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco. And this is Mixshots brought to you by Miller Lite. And they are prepared on the practice field. We have football players on the football field within the next hour and we're getting you set for it. Here. A Mike McCarthy press conference is happening as we get started here too, So we're gonna this is going to be We have breaking news edition of Mix.
Speaker 4: We have competition.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: You can listen to us or listen to macarthy.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're much more exciting to us.
Speaker 3: And we'll let you know what McCarthy. You say. Yes, Okay.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I've got a scout listening.
Speaker 3: For Okay, very good.
Speaker 4: I just got to remember to keep my phone.
Speaker 3: Close, okay, and ate and Frisco hopeful lines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hope, please day we need you today. We gotta we gotta beat McCarthy man.
Speaker 3: Okay, I tried to listen behind enemy lines this morning, and in Detroit, they aren't talking about the Lions. They're talking about a baseball team up there.
Speaker 4: I noticed that when I tried to call up the Detroit Free Press, and I said, well, let me see what's going on with the Lions. In the first five or six or seven stories in the list was all baseball.
Speaker 3: The Lions are coming off of bye week, and so they're getting healthier, of course, and just in time for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And I shouldn't and I'm not throwing them under the bus because this morning's Dallas Morning News, the addition I got at home, it was not a Cowboys story in it. Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: No way, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: We must have won the game.
Speaker 4: You gotta call You got to call up the newspaper edition or not their online stuff, because you can go online and hit Cowboys. It'll have stories that are up there, but they weren't in my paper. How about that?
Speaker 3: How about that Mickey still reads everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That also is this?
Speaker 4: Is this a newspaper you get at home or at home?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You actually they still deliver free. Yes, really, how many does a paper boy.
Speaker 4: In a car not on a bicycle.
Speaker 3: I was the last. I was the last person on my block to get newspapers, and that ended probably with COVID, maybe sometime in the last three or four years.
Speaker 4: I'm the only one.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you. I guarantee you are probably for the you know you.
Speaker 2: Get the little you know output whatever you call them, you know, a little the little shark weekly things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I get those all the time. I use those to help pick up my dog's stuff, which.
Speaker 3: Is the same thing you used to do in the morning and the Times eld Mickey back when you were playing.
Speaker 5: Mickey's article alone. Take a separate Mickey's article.
Speaker 4: You take the little plastic bag it comes in, and that's what you pick up your.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I put the plastic article, Mickey.
Speaker 3: The plastic bag had some value to it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna save that for something.
Speaker 3: This article has no value to it.
Speaker 2: That's how that goes.
Speaker 4: And you were and you were worse for it too.
Speaker 2: For so last night, Yes, I went to the fair, Did you really? I did?
Speaker 3: Okay, I've been going Saturday.
Speaker 2: You've been going Saturday. Well, yeah, you're going for the game, that's right, Yeah, by yourself?
Speaker 4: Are you working or sitting in the stands?
Speaker 3: I'm not working and I'm not sitting sweet big time.
Speaker 2: He hated. He hated to admit that people. He's special. He's special.
Speaker 3: No, No, I technically am working. That's how I'm getting into this. They can smell fresh cash.
Speaker 4: Should be walking the side, and no, I got family coming in for the game.
Speaker 5: What's your what's your what's your what's your deal? What's your your? You mean culinary option?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm not standing in the line to get the tickets for the whatever at the fair.
Speaker 5: But uh, dude, you are really a kept man on you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you get coupon so you don't have to buy coupon.
Speaker 4: You get your corny dog.
Speaker 5: Oh man, got I spent one hundred dollars in coupons last night this.
Speaker 3: So what's your culinary taste?
Speaker 5: I ended up with the guy. We had we shared so much stuff. I ended up with the crawfish pies. Okay, three of those for twenty bucks?
Speaker 2: Oh mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, mine is wherever the shortest line is on side.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you go before or after.
Speaker 2: Before the game? You go?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the whole that's the whole dealt atmosphere. In fact, I'm after I may just I may, you know, see the bands come into the stadium, then you know, see my family, and then I may go home watch the game.
Speaker 2: Also watch the pickled pizza.
Speaker 4: Pickle pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you mean with it's a pickled pizza.
Speaker 4: Instead of pepperoni, it's pickles, pickles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, delicious?
Speaker 4: You ate it.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 5: You know, we shared, but yeah, it was good. I'm trying to think of everything.
Speaker 4: That might be as bad as putting pineapple pizza.
Speaker 2: The pineapple came with the ice cream.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, that's fine, with to heenan pizza with to.
Speaker 2: Heen uh sprinkles on that. Okay, Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: I want to know who had State Fair talk twice in a day on their Bingo card. This morning we talked the same thing.
Speaker 3: That's because it's the biggest week of the year. This is the biggest week of the Year's producer supreme no Isaiah Standbach went to the fair.
Speaker 2: You saw him, I saw the whole family. Did you see what he won? No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: He wear So he goes every year and he wins his daughter a big probably the biggest fluffy you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And guess what. Guess what hanging around her bed football? It was throwing a football in a basket. That's how every year he does that.
Speaker 5: And you know, I was thinking because I passed by the basketball hoop and of course you know that's probably big.
Speaker 2: It's really yeah, but I'm pretty sure if you get a good hoop still over there.
Speaker 3: You know he did the football to good hooster.
Speaker 2: What do you mean he anyone? He taker?
Speaker 5: I'll take her, give her that would be even better.
Speaker 4: Will they give her a smaller ball?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna what do we have? But what's Dallas wing? Wings?
Speaker 3: Wings?
Speaker 2: Get her?
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah, or get care or you can get.
Speaker 5: They could take them, they can take them. I could just see them right now. I think it's actually higher, and it's it's the hoop is smaller.
Speaker 2: I think that. I think it's higher.
Speaker 3: Of the certainly aren't very forgiving rems.
Speaker 5: You could get the hoops over there and he or she all the ball was bigger, probably, but as long as they can legally go through it, you can.
Speaker 2: Get someone to do.
Speaker 4: Just like Isaiah, you're not hitting like the old milk cartons off the No.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think backboard could help at all. You gotta go straight in and it could be done.
Speaker 3: It could be what happens for me. I said that I get into the fair with my media pass whatever. But usually what happens, especially in a year like this year, when Oklahoma is a fourteen point underdog in this game, I'm going to have an old college fraternity brother who's going to have tickets that he'll text me. One of them will text me on Friday, say, hey, you want to go to the game. I got two tickets. Come drive by my house.
Speaker 2: What's your friend? What's your friend?
Speaker 3: Signifysel oh, go ahead, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah right fraternity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But you know what I have found out? You are a man of you an onion layers. I did not know this.
Speaker 3: You have you don't want. In college, I had a roommate. I had a piranhum.
Speaker 2: Chris so that I had a pirana. I didn't have a piranha. My roommate did. It was past stories. You just had colorful friends. I didn't know. Say that one.
Speaker 3: On Friday we'd go get goldfish for the piranha.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 4: Man like at the store.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I did go to the fair and win it.
Speaker 2: I never see it coming.
Speaker 4: So you came with one of them little.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it.
Speaker 3: This my roommate did it.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I wonder what was wrong with your friends? Now I realize.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're come through in the clutch now though, because I'll occasionally get in U Texas ticket front.
Speaker 2: So I'm talking about it.
Speaker 3: Well, that that works.
Speaker 4: He's grown up now.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Okay to bring it. Well, you don't know what's going on because McCarthy's talking to the media right now.
Speaker 4: That's right, and you'll probably be giving an injury update, although Stephen Jones gave a little bit of one.
Speaker 3: Specifically speaking, it sounded.
Speaker 4: Like that they were going to get doron Bland practicing and we'll see where that goes. Like a chance to play. I heard I hadn't played football since. Trying to think he got I think it was the end of August, right, it was before the season started.
Speaker 2: It was season.
Speaker 4: He limped out of practice.
Speaker 3: In August twenty second.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we were still in California.
Speaker 3: There you go, August twenty second.
Speaker 4: So that's how many weeks. Well, four five, six weeks he's missed.
Speaker 3: And I think it was six to eight weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's about span on.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, sop up then.
Speaker 4: And they did the surgery. So well, I'm going to have two days of ramp up and see what happens on Sunday. Yeah, min understanding it might be it will be like a shared a shared position maybe with he and Kaylen Carson, because I think Carson's ready also, so they should be putting Nylan on injured reserve. That opens up a spot for Carl Lawson to elevate him to the fifty three because he's already used his three elevations off the practice squad, So that'll kind of help out on the defensive end spot. That'll give him what four now or three defensive ends on well, it'll be four because kJ Henry's on here and we got t whet t weeks now got a nickname, right, and we got to mess with Tyrus anymore. It's Ta Wheat and he played well, maybe he deserved the nickname then Golston, Lawson and Henry, So you got four defensive ends and if you get Bland back or at least Carson back, you know you can have four active cornerbacks or five.
Speaker 3: My colleague at CBS eleven, Brienna Aldridge, tweets that Deron Bland will practice on a pitch count today. According to Mike McCarthy just moments ago, Kyln Carson will practice at limited capacity.
Speaker 2: And same thing, right, yeah, pretty much, yeah.
Speaker 4: And they could.
Speaker 3: That's just quoting McCarthy now he said it.
Speaker 4: But that doesn't mean they have to take him off ir because he has the twenty one day deal. Right.
Speaker 3: Tyler Geiton will practice also.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 5: So we have all these injuries with us. What does Detroit look like?
Speaker 3: And Micah Parsons will not practice today, will work with the rehab group. According to Mike McCarthy. To answer your question, I just did hear Dan Campbell on Detroit radio talking about their center Frank Ragnow, who has had had a peck injury.
Speaker 4: I got that right here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what do you have on that that he.
Speaker 4: Had missed the last game with a partial torn peck and he should be back in practice this week.
Speaker 3: And Dan Campbell in his press conference this morning said that it was the Seattle game, which was ten days ago. Now someone came up and hit him. He was he was going. He was walking through the locker room to talk to the trainer and somebody came up next to him and slammed him up against a wall. Well, Campbell said he just kept walking, not thinking anything of it. Strange and did that same someone hit him again and he said it was rag Now and rag Now was telling him I'm ready to okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's how Ragnow got hurt.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I was thinking tot.
Speaker 3: That's how rag Now was telling him, as Peck is okay and he's ready to play. Apparently rag Now is a very tough guy, old school tough guy, and he's going to play.
Speaker 5: And also Campbell probably gets knocked up against the wall by several players on his teams because it's normal, right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Also, their their safety, Brian Branch. The description said he had a brain injury, but he missed the game. This is who Brian Branched, their safety. But he missed the last game because of an illness, not because of a brain injury.
Speaker 2: That's concussion. Is that what they're trying to say?
Speaker 4: Why didn't they say that I read it and I wrote it down brain injury. How do you maybe he wasn't total concussion or something, but that's the way it was described.
Speaker 3: Nate in Frisco has texted in, we should tune in to coach just for a few seconds. Wow, we don't want to hear about Bill and his stakes and anas and goldfish from the fair.
Speaker 4: Wow, could have done better.
Speaker 2: One of yours in the middle class.
Speaker 3: Oh there he is, there you go, Okay, Marquis Davenport, Marcus Davenport defensive end.
Speaker 4: He was out. I don't know if he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Natan Frisco says he's still out, and he's still out. That's what I say. There you go.
Speaker 3: That's the latest from Frisco.
Speaker 4: And their defense is top ten in scoring and rushing defense, and their offense.
Speaker 2: Is number one in the whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 4: Like number three and three off just three ninety seven game by the way, one hundred and fifty one point three rushing. Hmmm, we'll find out.
Speaker 2: Suit.
Speaker 3: Well, they got a combo there. They got a running back by committee too, Montgomery and Gibb David Montgomery, engineer Gibbs. And they're pretty dark.
Speaker 5: That's funny how the running everything's going back to who it was defense running game being extremely important, but the pay hadn't changed for running backs at all. You know, the importance that you put on the running back now it's still there. But you don't have any individual superstars like we used to have.
Speaker 4: Well, Derrick Henry's close to it close.
Speaker 3: And he got two years sixteen million dollars nine million guaranteed. So that's ever since point. The pay is not very low, but.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good for what's going on now.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this guy's a superstar.
Speaker 3: He's not just running backs, like thirty four million a year.
Speaker 5: Right, it's so crazy, but they're understanding that the importance is still there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's.
Speaker 5: He was so enamored by by Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: And what he could look at Christian McCaffrey. Well, you hadn't played this year. There you go. They're treading.
Speaker 3: The problem for running backs is they get hurt and.
Speaker 4: They're treating running backs like least cars, use them up, trade them in, get another one.
Speaker 3: And it could happen the next play. So that's the problem.
Speaker 2: That is the problem.
Speaker 4: And evidently there's a enough running backs out there that you can just shuffle them in.
Speaker 5: Well, I would have to say that you got to have. I think what's even more important is the offensive line. Right, we're finding out that you can't run if you don't have a line. I don't care who you are, you can't run if.
Speaker 3: You don't have a line, which is what Dan Campbell did when he first got to Detroit. Who was his first draft pick? It was Pinay Seul, his right tackle. There you go, and they were high fives all around the room. It's the same thing that Harbaugh did with the Chargers this year. Yeah, first pick, fifth pick in the draft. Joe Walt, he's got.
Speaker 4: His tackle, same thing Jason Garrett.
Speaker 3: Did and he got here. That's right, Jason Garrett the first draft he was where he was the head coach. The first pick is Tyron Smith. So three and then three of the next four years is Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any guards picked in the first round?
Speaker 4: Well, and no, not anymore but back.
Speaker 3: But yeah, for him there was but ten years ago, just three years ago.
Speaker 4: Although although Zach was a tackle.
Speaker 2: We didn't pick a guard anywhere. What do you mean the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Turned him into a guard? I thought he was Tyler Smith. Okay, he still can't get over that candy you couldn't get. Last I saw he saw he played tackle last game.
Speaker 3: Last I saw he was a tackle.
Speaker 2: Only because he was forced to, but he was good enough to do it.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if anyone asked McCarthy if Tyler Goon will practice, he didn't. Who's who's practicing with the first team?
Speaker 4: I bet of Guidan ready to play.
Speaker 3: He's practicing back with the first team.
Speaker 4: Yes, Nate's trying to call me. Why didn't he just text me one.
Speaker 3: Of the he's testing your phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And by the way, game first Sean Payton did when you got to Denver, he got two offensive linemen off of free age.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. He's a very stupid listeners man.
Speaker 5: I think he actually has he got a computer over there. Somebody's feeding him information he is right now.
Speaker 2: He just called me too.
Speaker 3: All right, We've got much more to get to. We got more from Mike McCarthy's press conference, and Mickey's got a legal pad full of got to get ready for Cowboys Lion. We come back on mix shots.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages. For the pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheer leaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust Blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott Kits slides with a first.
Speaker 6: Down, investilate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 4: My goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 7: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 4: But with that Texas heat.
Speaker 7: It's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster cankoler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com.
Speaker 4: Check it out today.
Speaker 7: YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 3: Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 4: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 3: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great.
Speaker 4: I'm me Shine, Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibily.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point.
Speaker 1: J Gram's carvers for twelve bounces fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer. Demict Shots.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation, Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globe Life is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys app.
Speaker 2: Join the Official Fan Club.
Speaker 5: Today to receive access to the all new Cowboys drops feed, team news and pre sale access, and fan and kid of the game.
Speaker 2: Download the app now to join.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with mixed shots. Cowboys will be on the practice field here in the next half hour, and Mike McCarthy's just wrapped up his press conference. Nickey Spagnola has how did you tease that you said you had some notes mix shots? Oh, a couple of mix shots.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, well this one maybe everybody knows it was.
Speaker 2: It was proceed.
Speaker 4: It was news to me because when the game ended immediately we didn't sit there and watch what was going on. We need to get the elevator to get down to the locker room. But when I went back and watched the final two plays, the first one was overshown not intercepting the desperation pass. The second one was when they tried to play cal Stanford and throw the ball around. I saw that Jordan Lewis when it finally ball came loose or whatever, he picked it up and Pickin's face masked, and I was like, well, did they let him get away?
Speaker 2: With that.
Speaker 4: But somebody told me they threw a flag and called a personal file for face mask and I'm thinking personal files you get fined, yes, and he'll get fined right for a stupid thing like that. What a punk?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 3: Did you see Jordan Lewis the video Jordan Lewis go walk into the locker room and he said, I did as he was walking and there you know, there's cameras or yeah, cell phones and reporters just get the players as they're walking to the locker room. And Jordan Lewis said, as he turned to walk in the locker room, pickings is weak, like.
Speaker 4: Ah, well, I'm sure he was jabbering after the game was over.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he talked so much trash.
Speaker 4: He's pretty the field.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Did you see him snatch that dude down Manumber nineteen? Yes, I mean that was vicious. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know it's Jersey's torn.
Speaker 5: You know, you out there, you got people's colors all on your jerseys and.
Speaker 2: All the faded stuff from the field.
Speaker 5: And the man that was that was just the environment, the atmosphere there for us to come out of there with that win in that atmosphere the way we did with that kind of bravado. I'm snatching your dude down, you know what I mean. I got you so upset you're gonna get fined. Not only did pickings, he didn't talk after the game. If I'm not mistaken, oh really.
Speaker 2: And he's getting a lot of grief.
Speaker 5: He ended up going to the locker a weight room and just sat in there by himself. It's what they said, well, Zim, so that he wouldn't have to answer any questions.
Speaker 4: Zim was talking about Jordan Lewis, and he said, uh. He said, he's not a big, stature guy. And I call him pit bull because he doesn't uh. He'll mix it.
Speaker 2: Up pretty well.
Speaker 4: He doesn't back down. Well, I think at some point, I don't know where it's at. He talked about how when he's on the sideline, it's like, hey, put me in. He goes, well, we're not in this. I need to be in there. This.
Speaker 2: I did not know.
Speaker 4: I didn't need to back down like I'm small man.
Speaker 5: His jersey was all torn off. It looked like he was back in college playing in some rival game.
Speaker 4: I loved it, so I didn't know.
Speaker 2: It's the kind of attitude you need on the road man, right.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice that. And then the other thing, well, before.
Speaker 5: You go on, someone from Nathan Frisco said you don't like Jordan Lewis because he's too small.
Speaker 4: No, I never said that. I said sometimes he gets lost, oh early in his career, and somebody tweeted me out that he goes, and he tweeted any and he tweeted Jordan Lewis. At the same time, Spagnola said, you get lost out there. So anyway, also so he got another mix shot.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is an.
Speaker 4: So asking asking John Fossil about the the last extra point when they jumped outside twice like on purpose or not on purpose. They were trying to time it so that they can get a block. And he said, well, what they were trying to do is scoop and score and you know, get two points tie the game. And I said, well, the official announced after the second one that if there is another one, it's an un sportsman like penalty. And so I asked Fossil, I go, what's the penalty. He goes, if they do it three times in a row, we get the point.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I never heard it wow before. Okay, So that's what he said. And uh, I thought that was pretty interesting because they obviously they were jumping it hoping that they got away with it, and they didn't and then they didn't. And you can only do it five yards so many times, right, pretty soon you're the goal line. There's no penalty. So uh he said, yeah, you get the point.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: I like I like the challenge though.
Speaker 5: I like, we're going to time this as as best we can.
Speaker 4: I do like that, and it's okay, drop off, jump off.
Speaker 2: Side like that. That's smart smart, Okay.
Speaker 4: The only other thing it might have said, oh, now we get the ball at the half yard line, we can go for two, right, and if you don't get it, then it's still a two point game. But they didn't bite that, and the clock the time times off, so yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: And the but there was even a decision to be made on whether you kick the extra point or not, because if you block the extra point and return it that late in the game, that may be their best chance of winning or winning the game because of that tire too, of the two point defensive touchdown, or you could.
Speaker 4: Have gone firm, gone for two and if you didn't make it, you didn't make it right instead of just or you could just take a knee. Take a knee. Yeah, that's because you could also fumble right right, right, So there was a lot to discuss there in that.
Speaker 3: Little period of time.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: Tell you what, the Lions, they are a team that does seem to milk every moment and also they try and be traditional team what they call it a when you got the third and ones, you got the end of the end of the quarter or the end of the half. Situational football. Very good at paying attention to situational football. Dan Campbell squeezes every moment out of the out of the game. That's what we have to be prepared for. He squeezes every moment. He takes advantage of every situation that he can, and he tries to exploit it if you're not ready for it. He tried to do it, of course to us in the playoff game, and they kind.
Speaker 3: Of back a little bit, criticized a lot for how many times he goes for it on.
Speaker 4: Well, so that brings us to everybody's going to ask the Lions, now if this was a revenge game because you got screwed last time. No, they screwed himself. We forgot the details all that themselves.
Speaker 5: I thought they tried right.
Speaker 4: They tried to act like, Okay, you know this guy really didn't everybody.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to believe him too. Everyone wants to believe.
Speaker 4: They have the other two guys standing right by, and they were gonna make him eligible.
Speaker 2: They were so slick that they and whatever.
Speaker 4: And what everybody forgets is if they had announced that what was his name, was it Tyler Decker or something Decker? If he was announced eligible, the Cowboys would have covered him. They wouldn't have just looked at him as, oh, he's just an offensive lineman sitting out over them, right. And the other part was the guy that was announced they should have thrown a penalty because he was covered up. He was inside of the formation.
Speaker 3: I just went back and looked at my tweet from New Year's Eve, December thirty. First audio from the Dallas Cowboys radio broadcast. Referee Brad Allen announces to the entire stadium and tells the Dallas defense prior to the Lions two point try that number seventy Dan Skipper reported as eligible. No mention of number sixty eight Taylor Decker.
Speaker 4: Nope, And you know what, we could hear it in the press box when he announced it.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that's right.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't like no one heard it.
Speaker 3: I remember there was a big controversy after the game, and so I'd checked with Douglas Barriclough because I was not had not listened to the game on the radio broadcast, and I'm like, I bet they have it on the radio broadcast. So Douglas sent me the clip of it, and then I had the video and so and I wonder what that sounds like.
Speaker 7: If he had to make you play it is an eligible receiver.
Speaker 3: They brought in an extra. So, by the way, my tweet at one point two million views, I was.
Speaker 2: Still getting with you. I was. I was still getting on that tweet. Like four months later, in.
Speaker 3: The middle of the off season Draft night, then Skipper tweet.
Speaker 4: So did Dan Campbell not hear that over the stadium? Everybody in the stadium heard it.
Speaker 5: I would imagine it was a lot of stuff going on in Dan Campbell's ear at that time. They got headsets on, you know, yeah, he got people talking from the top.
Speaker 4: But all the coaches. They all had to hear it.
Speaker 2: They probably all talking.
Speaker 4: They were trying to pull a faster.
Speaker 5: That well, that is true. That is true. They were just hoping that they worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, oh, no, we this is the guy that's eligible. And then they tried to throw it to the other guy. Guy was wide open because there was the offensive tackle that there.
Speaker 5: Were defenders on that side of the and they moved, and they moved.
Speaker 2: Because no one is eligible over here.
Speaker 4: Right, Why would I.
Speaker 3: You know, who's going to be a captain for the Lions this game?
Speaker 4: You know, I mentioned it that I mentioned. I mentioned it yesterday that the last time they played, they brought him in as an eligible and the referee did it with two hands, right, there was no Skippers eligible. He probably knew his name. Oh, poor Brad. I think it was Brad Allen was.
Speaker 3: The was, Yes, it was yea, all right, we continue with more mix shots at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good day.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor the National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my mind beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and Crypto once. That's why I trust Blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Pr Scott keeps it slides with the first down.
Speaker 6: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current play cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the Team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 5: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 4: To mixed shots.
Speaker 5: Stay connected with the Dallas Cowboys on your connected TV. Catch up on all Cowboys content like player interviews, weekly TV shows, podcasts, DOCU series like Deep Blue, and much more. Download the Cowboys now app on Amazon, Fire, Roku, and Apple TV.
Speaker 2: Man such a distraction the.
Speaker 3: Way we got a tour going through Natan first, Goexas from the shut, try tread Texas played very well at Texas too. Dates out in the hallway singing in Texas.
Speaker 5: I don't even look right on them, doesn't even look that well. It looks like, of course, my baby brother, who love them?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I love him too. My daddy always said, even though the family is from Oklahoma, but I grew up in Irving, that you're a Texan, you need to root for Texas until they play OU. Told me, Yeah, that what my daddy told me, Well, you had cousin that played very well for him.
Speaker 2: That that hercue Walls was playing for them.
Speaker 5: But before that, when I was growing up, we were all about OU because they signed all the black players Mary, so I had no choice, sense to me, Okay, gotcha, that's right.
Speaker 3: By the way, there's a great article on Barry Switzer on ESPN dot com today. You need to check it out. Yeah, really good. He's eighty seven years old, just turned eighty seven.
Speaker 2: He's still going strong.
Speaker 3: That's basically what the article is about. He's still the same age eighty seven. Call him the king in Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: He was, he was ahead of the game.
Speaker 3: I would love it if he were in town on early on Friday to get him sitting in that chair right there.
Speaker 2: But Bud was the one that started.
Speaker 4: Well, he used to come in, come in through the game because he would do an appearance here. But he got hired last time. When I talked to him, I tried to he still makes money, but he's at one of the casinos in Oklahoma and it's a paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, But Bud was the one that really started to in the fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well how long did Bud go?
Speaker 3: How long he was in the fifties until early sixties, I guess something like that. And they had a dry spell right after him, and then Fairbanks. Fairbanks was the head coach. Switzer was the offensive coordinator when I switched to the wishbone and then in nineteen seventy three was Switcher's first year as a head coach.
Speaker 2: Who was the first black player to play for them?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: Was it the big Oh?
Speaker 3: It was a guy named Trentis gott was and that was early sixties, late fifties.
Speaker 2: Early sixties. But no, Bud didn't do that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't recall if Bud was the head coach then or not. But you know, as you know, you know Switcher, that was a great advantage that ou had over Texas in the seventies his running backs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Trentis Gott ended up at the University of Missouri Academics. Uh. And when I was in college my senior year, I did a feature story on him, and he was the most gracious guy. Smart, just what was do you know what his studies were trying to He wasn't teaching. He was like an administrator in charge and whatever.
Speaker 2: So he was an educator, but he was Oh.
Speaker 4: He was sharp. His wife was sharp.
Speaker 2: He's gonna say, yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: Wherever wherever he went to get his masters or.
Speaker 2: That's what shaped him. Yes, he passed.
Speaker 3: He's passed away, right, Yes, two thousand and five, passed away to age sixty seven.
Speaker 4: You know you were talking about Switzerland because you know that's where all the black players went. When I was working in Jackson, Mississippi, we do a story related to a noted player from Mississippi, but on the town. So I went to this town. I can't remember what it was, but I was interviewing this guy and it was he was talking about what he did in high school and then he ended up at Michigan State. Well, Duffy Doherty was recruiting the black this would have been late sixties, and so when he was telling me a story about all his accolades, and I go, so, none of the schools here, like Mississippi State or Southern didn't recruit you. And he goes, Son, he goes, where are you from? And I told him. He goes, do you realize that those opportunities weren't available for people like me? And I'm going, oh, what an idiot? Because those schools didn't start integrated until their early seventies. Right, So Duffy Doherty and all those schools up north were coming into Mississippi to recruit all those players.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 3: Since you asked the question on Prentice Scott bud Wilkinson, this was in nineteen fifty six. Bud Wilkinson was pressured against giving Prentice got a scholarship. A group of black doctors and pharmacists gave him money to attend the school, and within a year God had a scholarship and the donated money was given to another black student. He became a two time All Big Eight player and was academic All American and as Mickey said, got his pH d in psychology.
Speaker 5: So you had two students got Yeah, that's so they over donated.
Speaker 3: So it was Bud Wilkinson who was the head coach, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's why Don Perkins got to New Mexico. He was from Iowa and uh he got to uh, New Mexico because they could recruit a black player. Same thing with the first wide receiver the Cowboys had early he had set all their records.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: He was from Colorado. Yeah, I'll think of it here before Drew. Yeah, he and John Wooton were the first black players at University of Colorado. Uh, and that's how they got to Colorado from Newxico.
Speaker 5: I think he was number eighty it. I think he was number eighty. I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: Frank Clark, that's it there.
Speaker 4: He was eighty two with a with an eye Frank Clark.
Speaker 2: He was a great player.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but both of them were the first scholarship football players at Colorado.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so yeah, we forget about how things changed. And Switzers was right on top of that stuff because he'd walk into any living room.
Speaker 3: Well, he grew up and crossed at Arkansas, and he grew up with black kids.
Speaker 2: He grew up with about Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: And he was welcomed. That's how he got all the Selmon's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I thought they were the first two because.
Speaker 3: And there were three of them, but no three. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah brothers. That's that's like our Remember when I was in college there. When I was in college there, the Doobie Brothers were doing a concert at the football stadium and they had Switzer there, uh for the press conference and now said that the Doobie Brothers are coming to town.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but what I.
Speaker 3: Remember is Switzer's commed. He said, well, I don't know anything about the Doobie Brothers, but is there anything like the Sealman brothers. They'll do real well here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: They were Selvin Brothers are from Ufalla, Oklahoma, same hometown as J. C.
Speaker 2: Watts.
Speaker 5: And you did have a community of a well well to do blacks in that area in Oklahoma. And that's why I think they were able to kind of put that money up so that you can sign uh gault.
Speaker 3: Friend Scott.
Speaker 4: So the Salmon Brothers that was mid That was early.
Speaker 2: Early seventies.
Speaker 4: I had to watch him kick Missouri's ass so many times. God, they were good, I remember, and Billy Sims.
Speaker 3: Larry Lacewell was a defensive coordinator bringing it back to the cow Wow, and Larry Lacewell was Switzer's defensive coordinator. And I remember Lacewell later saying that, yeah, when we were we had the Selman brothers and Rod Showed and George Cumby and all these guys, and we were on the bus going to the Cotton Bowl in nineteen seventy three or whatever, and Lacewell turned to Switzer and said, well, hell, if we can't beat this team with these.
Speaker 4: Guys, and we might as well get out of coaching.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: And they had a string there of like five straight years.
Speaker 4: Company was one of my favorite players to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh he was so.
Speaker 5: I think what Oklahoma did for me was show how beautiful the running game can be, because back then it was all about the running game.
Speaker 3: Uh even can you imagine if a team did it now Vanderbilt kind of doing it with their misdirection stuff, and yeah's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the kid cussing on TV like you did, because teams, I.
Speaker 4: Can't prepare for it.
Speaker 2: What an interview? What an interview? Oh my god, we didn't even talk about that.
Speaker 3: Teams don't prepare for to stop the option, you know, and so.
Speaker 5: But to me, it was not just it was the way that you know, guys like Billy Simms, Greg Pruitt.
Speaker 4: The way they were to Washington.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the way they were able to maneuver themselves to a secondary, you know, missing tackles. They knew that if it was three in front of them, based on how it was they were lined up, they knew that that was not going to deter them from going to the end zone. And watching that, believe or not. I grew up as a running back.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 5: I was bigger for my age at that time. First year playing football, I was a running back. I got like eighteen touchdowns like six games. My dad was running back, So I was always I had this offenity towards running backs and the way they did it and watching Oklahoma, That's why I fell in love with them, just the way that they did it, the.
Speaker 4: Blocking scheme, seeing they put three of them out there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, even the backup, the best one, their best team, boyshbone team was in seventy eight when Sims won the Heisman. Thomas Lott was the quarterback and then the half backs were Billy Simms and David over Street and they had Kenny King at full back.
Speaker 2: Crazy bro.
Speaker 3: I remember when all of them high.
Speaker 5: Draft picks, and I could care less if someone threw the ball, I could care less. All I was looking for was to just watch them run through there, just with the sweetness that they had.
Speaker 4: Well, how open you think receivers were when they faked tear?
Speaker 2: Faked tear? Then I'm going to pull it back again. Drafted off of.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma, but they actually did. They were first round picks.
Speaker 2: Billy Brooks was the.
Speaker 3: First round pick and he only got only got ten targets and all of his entire college career ends.
Speaker 2: Crazy. Yeah, they could see it, the scouts, so.
Speaker 3: Forth and by the way, and wrapping it up, it's Switzer. I know you get criticized and there's time with the Cowboys, but when I look back my time covering the Cowboys, that was some some of the most fun times.
Speaker 5: It was entertaining what you guys want and what do you want us a coach, It's totally two different things. We don't want our coach to be entertaining. We want our coach to be competent and win. That's all we want. We don't want him leaving weapons in his lock luggage. We don't want any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: He uh, and usually his his common sense reasoning was always.
Speaker 3: Right on, and his ability to evaluate players.
Speaker 2: And that right.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you're even if you're illegally recruiting, you got to figure out which the best players you're gonna play the money. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: You can can't be wasted.
Speaker 3: If you can't evaluate talent, then you're giving the money to the wrong people.
Speaker 2: You can't waste that.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget. After one of those practices at Valley Ranch, and he would come out and in the front where the entrance was to do is press conference, and some reporter asked him a question that was just fassinine. It was just wrong, right, And he looked at the reporter and he goes, you don't know what you don't know, and believe me, you don't know that. I go, that was the most brilliant quote, I think, because he was right right, because they acted like they knew what they were and they didn't and that was his quote.
Speaker 3: That's but Barry, he's his mind. I mean, he is as sharp as attack, as far as you know, remembering things, remembering people's names.
Speaker 5: That's why he's still in the casino was making I want to hear him talk. They want to hear the stories, and he still knows them, he still remembers them.
Speaker 4: And he was the king and all the media bowed down to him during those days at at.
Speaker 5: I think he's the only one that I talked Jerry, since he's he only coach that out talked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jerry, like, hey, I'm leving that.
Speaker 3: Opening press conference. Oh yeah, he was announced as the coach. Oh my goodness, so classic.
Speaker 4: That's what you want to do.
Speaker 3: That's damn sure what you want to Oh man, all right, that doesn't We.
Speaker 4: Should have had Jella Hanson.
Speaker 3: That'd be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could still do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, arrange that. All right?
Speaker 4: Okay, see what I could do.
Speaker 2: I'm on the show. It might come from this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mickey's got to go watch practice and it's right and we'll talk at you again tomorrow and noon for Mick shots.
Speaker 2: So Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys Dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club