Speaker 1: What's the fan base name namies, nahmers, g like gnarly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard the nuts some people of nuts nuts?
Speaker 1: What up nuts?
Speaker 2: What up nuts?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean that's what I hear anytime I go anywhere with kids that are like ten because of Randy Moss impression, Hey edle nut, Hey ed'l nut. Get my hot to about one oh three and get my gata Raye. Today's episode in honor of the United States of America seventeen seventy six. On July fourth, we'll be celebrating America by cleaning out your hotline.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Brother Dicky molloy at a Matsfield map.
Speaker 1: We have so many messages and we can only get to so many in our post segments, so this will be a great opportunity for us to dive into those messages. We're talking Madden my best memories from the NFL.
Speaker 3: We go through Remembora Bilia on the walls.
Speaker 2: Some cool stuff back there.
Speaker 1: Got some interesting stuff. My favorite things are the weirdest.
Speaker 2: Things, Amen stolen things.
Speaker 3: And then we unbox Pat said you a bunch of tupperwares full of shit, and now we're gonna go through them. Get some fun stuff on that. We'll see what we got in there.
Speaker 1: Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio, July second, twenty twenty four, Nuthouse Studio, Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 2: The hot line is blowing up and the people need answers. This is the hot line, Bleae.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman, there, Jack and Kyler, and we are on the mission to find the greatest game of all time and celebrate the birth of the United States of America, Land of the Free, Home of the brave. Bye, going over these messages.
Speaker 2: That's right, the land with a voicema. The answering machine was invented. One of our best inventions ever? Was it? Probably?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: The phone was the phone was Alexander Alexander Graham Bell.
Speaker 3: Do you know the first line that was ever spoken over the phone? He said?
Speaker 2: You up right?
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 2: What was the real one? Though?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: Hell? Hath rot?
Speaker 2: Oh? Nice?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: What hell?
Speaker 1: Half rot? What is that?
Speaker 3: I don't know? Alexander Graham Bell is like, oh what did I fucking do? What the fuck did I just do?
Speaker 1: You connected?
Speaker 3: Everyone? That's right?
Speaker 2: Brother changed the world.
Speaker 3: Cambridge, Massachusetts, tell you Cambridge, stand up.
Speaker 1: Let's go. I'm wearing a a USA hockey jersey, but hockey's probably you know, when you think of Mary, when you think of a mayor, when I think of for the July, I think of baseball. What do you think? Yes, I think of baseball. I think about like last that last vacation before football season starts.
Speaker 2: A nice burnt hot dog.
Speaker 1: I want burn hot dog, potato salad, macaroni. I want a frozen patty on a goddamn charb I want a char broiled.
Speaker 3: I love a shitty frozen patty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those shitty patties your parents used to get because they're on sale. That's probably what you could only afford, or at least I can only afford.
Speaker 2: And sitting in the backyard in a folding chair doing the the patented cookout knees together, making a plate or making a table for your your paper plate, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And remember, guys, hit that number four two four two nine nine zero for the hot Line. Hot Line episode had birthday America Birthday. You know, Benjamin Franklin had to go over to France. We sent them over there, I believe August seventeen seventy six during the Revolutionary War to up with the old French create a path to defeat the Brits from trying to come over and take our goddamn land.
Speaker 3: So men and women in.
Speaker 1: The militias defended them off. And it's Ben Franklin that went over to France, you know, pucker it up against them, and you know we we we had to. Hey, guys, you don't want Francis, you know, you take they take us.
Speaker 3: Who's next?
Speaker 1: And that's why we got Cajun food. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Hi, Julian, Jack and Kyler.
Speaker 6: This is Renee from Augusta Main and I just have a question for you.
Speaker 5: My question is what is one important.
Speaker 7: Lesson you've learned from your time as a professional athlete.
Speaker 5: I love your podcast, keep it up and I missed you on the Patriot Go Pass.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know the thing that came off of my mind right away when I was hearing the question was realizing that there's always a tomorrow. Whether you have a spectacular day, you hit, you won the last game of the year, you won a super Bowl, there's still tomorrow. I mean, you're gonna have to do something again, whether it was the worst day, you know, you tear an aco, you get suspended, there will be tomorrow. Realizing that that there's a tomorrow and you can always have an opportunity to improve yourself is something that through my years as a professional athlete, you know, the highest of the highs, there's still gonna be tomorrow when you there's gonna be some low to lows, you know what I mean. So that's something I've learned through being a pro athlete, being able to shake things off, whether it's good or bad.
Speaker 3: The good too people, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, they can't just you can't. You can't stay on it because you still want to get back there, you know, in the lows, you know, some of the times, the worst times of my life. Good support group, there's gonna be tomorrow, your family, whatever, who gets you through it. You know, just Belichick g cus to say, guys, we just need to stack them together, good day after good day. It takes one day to turn into two, to turn into three. Just stack them together. There will be tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Love that, Thanks Ray, Thanks for day.
Speaker 9: Dear Julian Edelman and Games with Names Podcast absolutely love this show. My family watches Games with Names together. Thanks everybody so much for the consistent wisdom and legendary stories. So I think Barkley on Games with Names would be a great addition because he's stead of a person and I think he is the true Walter Peyton Man of the Year.
Speaker 5: Once again, Thank everybody so much, keep up the good work.
Speaker 1: So he wants to be part like he wants to on the couch always.
Speaker 2: No, I think like for a game, just random, permanent the day.
Speaker 1: Kuan Man, He's used to kick it a lot.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: We went to the met Gala once together, me and we didn't go together, but we we went. We went to the met Gala and like when you go to those kind of events, athletes always kind of kind of congregate towards each other. So it's me Kuan Odell and they wore skirts because it was camping or something. They wore like these nelts or something, some Scottish ship.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: I just went, James Bond, I just went cool with it, you know. But we ended up changing and we went out afterwards. Remember we went to McDonald's like two in the morning. Suon was still a young guys and he's like, man, we can't eat this, and Odell looks at the he goes, dude, it's may.
Speaker 2: Shut up in order that quarter pounder.
Speaker 1: Said you grew up on this or something. He said, we grew up on this. Look where we're at or something. It was a great night, man, it was on. We got to get on. He's a he's an awesome storyteller. We hung out a little bit last year at CAN and Can during that what was it that Marketing market Sports Marketing convention, which was awesome. So we definitely we got to get.
Speaker 2: Just meet up in the coolest of places.
Speaker 1: We really do. I always see in the cool spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he's a great fit for the Eagles next year too.
Speaker 2: That'd be awesome. I'm excited to see how that turns out.
Speaker 1: We got to get him on before the season so we can hear or actually during, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We gotta get him on.
Speaker 1: I want to know how the transition they those those those two teams.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He was getting booed at the game the other week, that Sixers game or back in whatever that was back in may Or. That's a that's a good one. I also like the fact that this guy watches with his family.
Speaker 1: Child in that.
Speaker 2: By some of our callers, there might be we got some youngsters calling in and.
Speaker 1: Talking to circumcising and.
Speaker 2: Shit, they'll be at the lunch table the next guy.
Speaker 1: What is circumcision in the Philippines? Mean, she's team TEO clean the people?
Speaker 10: What's on Julian's that? Then from Memphis, Tennessee, I was calling to ask what coach Bill would have done to uh Gronk if he had gotten in his face, pushed him and screamed at him like Travis did with Coach Reid.
Speaker 1: Thanks, you know that situation would never come right, Like Gronk's not that kind of guy really, and no one's touching Bill. That's true with the amount of respect that he demanded on a daily basis, Like when he came into the goddamn auditorium, people got up shoulders or back ears were pinned, people like it was like, that's the kind of presence he has, So I don't you know, maybe a defensive guy would do that, but offensive guys, no shot, no one's, no one's going near him.
Speaker 3: So you think that because I don't want to like bris Murch, Travis Kelcey or andye because.
Speaker 1: They different relationship. They're a lot closer. Yeah, that's a deep, that's an offensive he's an offensive coach with the offensive player. I can see Willie Mack or something, or you go like Teddy Bruski and and Bill. I don't. I maybe that could happen like one of the defensive guys, but that that would just never I don't think that could ever happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think LT could supplex Bill, and Bill would put him right in there.
Speaker 1: He would allow that. And he was position coach then, in which he was totally different. If you remember we listened to Tie, Bill was a completely different guy when he was a position coach from when he went to head coach. You know, he was more buddy buddy with everyone. I mean Ty said it himself, like, oh, it's gonna be awesome. We got Bill as our head coat, and then completely guy he wanted to he wanted he had a vision for how he wanted the head coach to be. And so I don't know, he just I don't. That's a great question, but I don't think that would ever happen because the guys aren't like that.
Speaker 2: I just mad Corny that take of like you gotta kick Cravitch Kelsey out of the game, Like, no, shit, him to the locker room. How can you let him?
Speaker 3: Like that's such a corny take, like just twitter And yeah.
Speaker 1: That's also because he's the play caller on offense. Now that shit happens with like play like Billy oh and Tom did that. Yeah, we'd see that all the time, you know what I mean. And in the heat of battle, guys, guys say stupid We all say stupid shit. And then anytime a game's over, you always go over to like your coach if you got in a fight or so you said something, Hey, coach, my bad, you know, and they do the same thing, because when you're in the heat of battle, it's fucking stressful. People are saying things that you don't mean. Just try to you know what I mean. It's there's a lot of emotions going, oh, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Want your guys passionate and living on the edge too. Yeah. Well, it's interesting. In the conversation with Matt Lay you talked about how it it seemed like coach Belichick had a bias towards defensive players and just because of his I wonder if he and Reid has a similar thing on offense, just because he spends all his time on offense, and there's a bit of a different relationship with some of those people in that building.
Speaker 1: Maybe, But offensive coaches are always still just a little different than a defensive coach. Yeah, Defensive coaches are like, I mean, you gotta think about it, Like the league hates them everything, Like there's a new rule to try to make it harder for them every year. Yeah, you can't touch it, like they can't do things. Defensive coaches just are always pissed off offensive coaches. Oh, let's go design a play, make some fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah some time. Hey, you see that new route.
Speaker 1: Let's we got to cut up on these college kids. Let's go watch it. Do you has a coach?
Speaker 3: What the fuck are we?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 11: Jools.
Speaker 5: My name Sean. I am twenty six.
Speaker 12: I'm from South Shore, Massachusetts, Sure, Jeels. I am fortunate enough to have family members with season tickets to the Patriots, and I have gone to almost every single game since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 5: But that being said, the coolest game.
Speaker 12: I've been too was in twenty twelve, Patriots went across upon to.
Speaker 5: London take on the Rams.
Speaker 4: I just want to know if you have any cool stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the London experience was awesome because football is such a domestic sport where we travel a lot around our country, but we all have the curiosities of like the international sport people, or like the hockey guys that are always out or the soccer dudes that you know, they go to Portugal, they go to Germany, which we don't get to experience that. So you know, going over to London was an awesome, awesome experience. We went over a couple of days before. Our sports science guys were like, all right, we can beat the jet lag if we do it this time, or so we had that whole thing going and we went out there and you got a lot of guys from like the South on a football team. You got a lot of guys from you know, all over the parts of the country. Which the one thing that the biggest complaint was with the food we get up over there. No one liked any of the food, you know what I mean, So that was crazy. But then we also we did a we did a walk through and Hyde Park, which was cool, and you know, High Park's a beautiful like vibrant park that there's a lot of people. Not one person knew who we really were, like we're over here tossing the football. People are like looking at like what the hell is going on over there? Might you know? And then uh, I went on by myself and I did like a little tour I got. I just went and got a taxi. I went to like Big Ben and I did. I looked at all like the sites and looked at the the soldiers and shit that don't move and stuff. So like that was fun. And then after, like during the game, it was a it was a different experience because the surface, the surf, the grass was like made for like soccer kit guys witch huh. We played at Wembley and which like our guys are like you have three hundred and thirty pound men with a lot of forces, or you have like a two hundred and twenty five pound, two hundred and forty pound guy that is kicking and like just super powerful. The grass was tearing up and it was super long. I didn't like the grass. Guys were slipping on it, so we had to jump in the seven studs. That was something that pops off in my head and then after the game there was a little we went to like some some club together because we were usually go straight home after a football game and you know, you move on with your week. Well, here our flights were all weird, so we we were gonna fly out the next morning. So it was the first time. We're kind of like the situation where with Matt Lighte where we went to Dinosaur Barbecue. We all got to hang out after a game, but in London, so we go to this club and then the Rams were at this club, and Amla was on the Rams at the time and were like cool, like we were like having a good time, and then I think some linemen on both teams were about to like start squaring off in this club. Things got wild and we're like trying to break up the fight. Me and Danny end up going on an adventure leaving afterwards. It was you know, it was it was pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: And this was a classic Tom Brady versus Sam Bradford showdown, classic and we blew.
Speaker 1: Him out, blew inside the three, and Slate was off sides. I was so mad on.
Speaker 2: Kicking on Slate. This is also the game if you a few fans of the Gronk spike will remember he did dude the King's Guard spike, Yes, where he marched one way, turned marched back the other way like the Kings, spiked it and spiked it. One of his best ever.
Speaker 1: But he said it was like the nutcracker. That's what he I think that's.
Speaker 2: His quote close enough.
Speaker 1: I go, that's that's a Christmas thing.
Speaker 3: We got to rank the best Gronk spikes and something.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that'd be a whole episode we got.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun.
Speaker 2: Eight catches, one hundred and forty six yards and two tds for Gronk that day. Ground plags London.
Speaker 1: Whenever we would play a team out of division, out of conference, and it's like they only saw us once. They it was. It was crazy because they didn't understand like that Gronk was still a little young in that time. They didn't know how like they're like, oh, we could take this guy down and guys are bouncing off him. Whenever you got a team that didn't play you as much, we'd go and blow those teams out always because they didn't realize how much like a machine our team really was. You know what I mean, you don't know you don't know until you play.
Speaker 3: There's an interesting phenomena that's happening somewhere right now. The part of my take, guys like honed in on it with Lamar Jackson playing in the NFC that if you look back on him last season, the.
Speaker 1: Season before, I think that's been like the number one headline on every talk. I mean, we've talked about that forty times.
Speaker 3: You know, bringing back the same kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But it's also like when teams play, you know, the Chiefs, they play them out of division team, they blow them out. They don't realize there's so much ahead. Like you got a new head coach and you're you're in the NFC West or NFC North and you play a machine.
Speaker 2: They're not ready run to a buzzsaw.
Speaker 1: I think what it was the score of that game in London, forty five to seven, and that that right there tells you how like we went in that Thursday.
Speaker 3: They were there for a whole week.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying anything about that organization or who was at the lead of that organization, but a lot of that has to do with eliminating distractions on a trip like that, you know, realizing we're not here to be fucking tourists. We're here to fucking win. A game like this would be a lot more fun of a trip if we can talk about it as a win. I remember hearing that a lot, like you go to the super Bowl and stuff. Yeah, your family's there, that you got a lot of stuff to take care of, but no one really cares if you lose the game. When you when you win the game, then everyone will always talk about it. You'll be able to It'll be a great memory.
Speaker 2: There's also Brandon Lloyd was on this team. That's fun brand Lloyd to TDS.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He was one of the best, like route running dudes. He was so smooth in his route running. We used to call him like the pink panther because he was so smooth and like his when he would do cone drills, he would like bob his heady like they had good body movement and he had some of the most underrated hands of all time. I believe, Bro, that weren't you at that game. I was at the game and that thing when I was a kid. I was like in junior college.
Speaker 2: Bro, I swear that pops up on my Instagram for you page like once a week. And I watch it every time.
Speaker 5: Hey, Julien, how's it going. It's Nate. I was just, you know, thinking to myself, I wonder what Julian's favorite Madden is. See, I got good taste. My favorite Madden is Madden two thousand and five. Hey, you got Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, ray Lewis all firing on all cylinders. Okay, I want to know what your favorite Madden is, favorite Madden appreciation.
Speaker 3: Good question, Nate.
Speaker 1: My favorite is probably in like the early two thousands when I was playing Madden a lot on like n sixty four, and what was the VIC one? Was that it was four? Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: I would go him to crumpler.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, on that tight end post play.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, it would be he wouldn't. The tight end would be the end cut in the post would be by this, like a cut split receiver, and you could roll out this way and VIC had a strong enough farmer you could throw it there, or you could just make people like miss with VIC and then hit them hit Algae on like coming across. I like that one. But I remember I remember like Madden ninety five on Sega where there's only three buttons. My brother and his boy used to play it all the time. I never got to play because I was seven years younger and you're not jumping in the line. Yeah, but I remember when he leave, I'd go and play that thing. It was I like that one. That was like my first memory of it. It was a Madden ninety five back.
Speaker 2: When Madden was still on the cover of Yeah, what's the What was the last one who was on the cover of two thousands the big headset? Yeah, let me see. It might have even just been the nineties, Yeah, two thousands one. Yeah, and then I think they brought him back for one of the anniversary ones recently. Yeah, I really I liked one and oh two when you could play with the Mark Echo team. Yeah. Yeah, and Exhibit was on the team they were in ninety nine. At everything.
Speaker 3: I love playing like mini camp, like doing like the like running through the bags and like the best pocket pressure.
Speaker 1: I also loved playing like those early two thousand ones because you could play with legendary teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah you get the card or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to like to play with like the old eighty eight nine ers.
Speaker 3: The all decade teams too.
Speaker 1: All decade teams were always fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made you feel like you were the best Madden guy ever.
Speaker 1: I used to play a lot of college football and here, yeah it's coming back, counting down the days.
Speaker 3: Just the numbers. I just hated the numbers.
Speaker 1: Play the impact players, play.
Speaker 2: The mascots, verus the mascots always the best. It's gonna be. I mean, we've been waiting but this.
Speaker 1: I was so excited to go to Kent and be on that game. I was like, I was like the number one. Yeah, I was an impact player, but I was like a black dude. I was so mad.
Speaker 3: I was like, what the I want to be on the game. Were you guys playing in college as like yourselves for Nctl?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Kent was so bad. But yeah, when do you did?
Speaker 3: You with Madden too? You do it? You do?
Speaker 1: You remember you used to create a player and like you get like the fan letters from like the university, like, man, you had a really good you had a really good game this week. I know you guys may have lost, but keep your head up or something like that. Oh you're getting some real heismoo hype. There Jules sit there like, oh my god, this.
Speaker 2: With the fight song just playing in the background. Always, Oh my gosh, and we can't forget about Madden. In twenty twelve, Peyton hillis on the cover. Remember that, Yeah, might be the most random guy to ever be on the cover of Madden.
Speaker 1: We went and played him. He he that one of those years he lit us up.
Speaker 2: He's a beast for a minute there, like he's like.
Speaker 1: An all stop for two years.
Speaker 6: Hey, I just want to say I'm a huge fan. A Virginia teacher here tries every year to convert my third graders to Patriots fan. I had a kid a couple of years ago.
Speaker 11: Start to destroy my classroom and he went after my Julian Ellman post Roy had hanging up and told him do not touch the squirrel, that if he touched the squirrel, he would bring out the nuts in his teacher. It frightened the student so much he never destroyed anything else in my class again.
Speaker 5: Love the podcast.
Speaker 1: Keep up the good work, miss teacher third grade. I just want to tip my hat to you. Those little munchkins are probably just maniacs rascals. My sister was a third grade teacher. I know exactly what that lady is going through.
Speaker 3: The irony is you were probably more like that kid.
Speaker 1: One hunter spitballs with the Remember you used to hollow out your pen and you could take it out and you get a little piece of paper and your friend would be over you put your pen in. No one ever saw. Oh I got it was so bad.
Speaker 2: Mess with the squirrel, you get the nut.
Speaker 1: What a great teacher. She rocks Virginia to Virginia.
Speaker 3: Commander's country, that Panthers country.
Speaker 1: That's probably it could be Baltimore or or the football team or commanders the way.
Speaker 5: There, sir Joan.
Speaker 6: As a.
Speaker 5: Team.
Speaker 13: I was wor why did you wear a Bill's shirt on the ham a coin? You're a pack I you should never do that and go hout shake.
Speaker 3: Why do I wear a Bill's.
Speaker 1: Trying to be hospitable Shady? Yeah, I was just trying to bring some peace between me and Shady. I'll go and I'll go do Coward at Fox on a weekday and Shady's getting ready to speak on because that's a show, right, So there's a lot of always crossover. We will sit and argue on his on our ways to set about like stupid things. Andy Reid Belichick all the time, Andy Reid Belichick, Andy Reid Belichick. We'll be walking up like through the stairs, he's all miked up. I'll miked up and you gotta go two different areas. Dap up right before like we're like heated argument. Dap up all.
Speaker 3: Good luck on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank god for those call times otherwise that that argument going forever ites never end.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of the locker room when when you're with you, you're talking with a defensive guy or someone that you're not in the same meetings with, and then like till like three seconds are going when the dial hits your time where you're sposed like guys are arguing, and then all of a sudden, Coach why.
Speaker 2: He shout out to Shait, what is this?
Speaker 1: This the new pass logo. There's there's some rumors this.
Speaker 6: Is the talk about the.
Speaker 3: That's not it? Is it?
Speaker 2: There's a whole thing on the internet.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Brandon Spikes made a post about being back in Foxborough and he included this in the post, to which Patriots fans reacted across Twitter much with a lot of dismay, Like, I mean, the really the overwhelming consensus was not it's not bad, it's not bad, but it's not great. And then the Patriots came out and said, like put out a meme saying like this isn't our new logo essentially, but then have since used it in a post and it was in the background of like a interview with Elliott Woolf.
Speaker 1: So I guess it's.
Speaker 2: Some sort of new alternate that will be used in certain situations. I don't even it's gonna be on the side of the helmet or anything.
Speaker 3: But depends on the execution of it.
Speaker 1: Not a fan personally, I like the established in sixty they're trying.
Speaker 2: It feels a little MLS like where it is MLS, you know, and we're trying to make a badge like we're European soccer team. It's like soccer club, soccer club. Yeah, it's just like, I don't know, it feels a little little forced.
Speaker 1: We got to get back to Pat, That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying. Every day we stray farther from the truth, which is Pat the patriot.
Speaker 1: I like Pat Patriot.
Speaker 2: I think this feels to me, wait and is sickmen.
Speaker 3: This feels to me like a shoulder patch for a hockey jersey. Yeah, is what they're and that would there's no really use for that in football.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of a Joe Judge like T shirt. Joe Judge used to make these special teams T shirts for all like the special team guys. It'd be like a hockey jersey hoodie thing and it'd have like some fucking like wild cat like we're all wildcats or lone wolves, like on a mission to like do stuff, and it'd have like a logo like this and some saying shout out Joe Judge for his U Joe Judge T shirts.
Speaker 3: I love the team only merts. Like sometimes you'll see teams do like the weightlifting champion and they'll have like.
Speaker 1: The best shirt that you could get when I was playing was the Ironman shirt. When you didn't miss a practice and training camp, that was like a big thing because it was a month training camp. Now it's like two weeks. You're off every other ever couple days. Like training camp was a grind to get through it, and guys would be fighting to get that stupid Ironman T shirt.
Speaker 3: Did you ever get one?
Speaker 1: Got a few? I got like three, maybe two?
Speaker 2: What did it look like?
Speaker 1: Aesthetically terrible? Guys will walk around with that stupid t shirt on Ironman.
Speaker 2: It's like I went to every day for a month and almost killed myself just for this stupid T shirt, like a stupid sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 4: What's up, Julian Edelman.
Speaker 3: This is Nico and Ghetto.
Speaker 14: I played for the University of Michigan, just one national championship up from the Bay Area, actually right next to what's that high school. The question was my older brothers grew up and trained with Billy Ring, and I was wondering if you played Redwood City forty nine ers with Billy Ring, because I have my whole family played for Memo, Afficts and Vikings, and I know I've always been a good, great, big fan of yours. And yeah, I love the podcast Go Blue and hope you responded to this question.
Speaker 1: Man, Well, congrats some getting a natty. That's a cool thing, especially with the University of Michigan. I'm surrounded by so many Michigan Wolverines in my life. My agent Steve Dubin, my quarterback Tom Brady, my new teammate Charles Woodson. I swear there's a Michigan person everywhere in my life. Everywhere in my life, and then as far as Billy r yeah, we we played football. We started playing football together when we were eight years old. I believe we both started in ninety four. And you know the Billy Billy and his family, you know, I grew up with those guys, uh and just threw Pop Warner and you know throughout high school we were always really close. So that is a true story. I played a lot of football with Billy Ring when we were kids. And then I wonder what position this guy plays.
Speaker 3: We gotta need, we gotta we found him at one point.
Speaker 1: He's a running back. What's the appreciate you calling in? I said, I booed the menlo Atherton Vikings. I don't know they changed their name.
Speaker 2: Let me double check. Yeah, he's a a defensive back, a dB even to Saty, even to Saint Francis.
Speaker 1: Saint France, that's the same high school A Billy went to, same fans. My brother went to Saint France. That's a really good football school. Back when my brother went there, they won like seven CCS championships in a row with this guy cal Kanye. He was the head coach and then they trained changed over to this other coach Mitchell or something. My brother's senior year, the team went Owen six because of the new coach, this guy cal Kanye was like the guy of the like that area or that generation. And then uh they went Owen six and somehow won the rest of their games and it was like it was kind of like BCS powerpoints stuff in the Bay Area and got into the playoffs and beat Oak Grove in the championship against who was my defensive Andre Carter. Andre Carter was on Oak Grove. My brother played in them whoa in San Jose State Stadium. Like the championship, they smoked him. Like thirties they used to have this other's team, had this team or this running back Charles Tharp such a good running back many football. They played Pop Warner growing up and he was actually brothers with remember Chris Reese from my Dad's episode. Yeah, that was his older brother. Oh wow, okay, and uh he's just he was like short little running back that was all like yoked up and just I was such a big fan of him. He was twenty one and he swagged out. Their colors were brown, yellow and white, the Lancers, Saint Francis Lancers. I used to love him Es then I didn't get into San Francis. I went to Woodside, So fuck Saint Francis.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: We don't like those guys. We don't like those guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, we were thirteen when we were Woodside.
Speaker 2: Let's go Baby Divisions, Orange and Baby Nico all academic, Big ten Honore in twenty twenty three. Shout out Nico getting it done in the classroom.
Speaker 1: Let's go, right, baby.
Speaker 13: Do you think that you and Rob will do more TV and movies together now that you're retired? Okay, that's all fine.
Speaker 1: I hope. I Lovetok. He's a man not even is working. It's not working when he was Gronk when we're just sitting shooting ship. It's just it reminds me of what we did for twelve years. Oh we gotta go. Let's seeh that's a podcast. And then like hot tub do cold cold plunge. Oh, let's go do some push ups.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go.
Speaker 3: Well, he's he was fun, like a lot of those tiktoks to like retired after thing that was from him, he was like, let's do it. Here's some ideas, let's go. Yeah, which is nice. He's fun.
Speaker 2: We we love Gronk.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jay loved the podcast. I just want to know, this is Steven Florida, and I just want to know when Tom would lose trust in a receiver. How did that always go down? I know it's a tough subject to talk about, but you could tell when Tom lost favor or lost confidence and a receiver, and I just was just curious about that.
Speaker 5: Take care.
Speaker 1: There were certain little things that would piss Tom off, and with younger receivers, you know, like coming flat to downhill on in cut, not letting a defensive back undercutting it, like you got to like run almost down downhill and if if you didn't do that, that would that that would like scar them, you know, And so that was always tough. And how how you would get that trust back is you'd have to go and practice and you'd have to show them maybe the one opportunity you had at that specific practice that you were going to do it, and then you had to show in all the drills we were doing that you were going to do the right thing. Like that's if you didn't know where to go, you didn't know the play, you didn't know how to read the coverage, you didn't know how to like those are the things that he didn't like because he's ultimately trusting you to know what you have to do to do the right assignment, do the right technique, and if you don't do that and something bad happens. You know that it's hard for guys that have played such a high level for a long time, like quarterbacks, to get back on that. You know, it takes when you're in the doghouse, it takes a while to get out, and you got to work your way out. You know, you got to show that you want to get out of the doghouse. You can't just put your tail in between your legs and quit. And oh, you know the quarterbacks mad at me. No, all right, what do I do? Be attentive and like that's that's how you get it back. And the one scary thing is with coach or with a coach or with even like a tom because he was like a coach out there for a lot of these guys. I remember he used to yell at me a lot, and I get and I was a young player, and you know, he would he would get on me because he knew I could take it. He knew what kind of guy was. And you know one day where he got on me and he could sell out my I was a little down. He goes, hey, babe, day I stop yelling at his Damn, I don't love you no more, baby, or something like that. It was something like that, because the more I yell at you, it means the more I like you, I love you whatever. You must really love me though, you know, But that that's how it is with coaches and and and guys like Tom. You know, the day that they stop yelling at you, they've moved on.
Speaker 2: I believe it.
Speaker 15: I stopped hearing Julian is Nate one of the best games ever two thousand and six Rose Bowl, Texas first USC and you can't get any better than that awesome finished Nate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree. We've been We've we've referenced that game a bunch with a lot of guys that we've had on the podcast. We just haven't I want Vince Young for that game, gotta.
Speaker 3: Get We want to like do this one up, So we're like taking our time with it to make it because.
Speaker 1: This was such a memorable game in our lives because of our age and this was BCS time this you know what I mean. It was that was in college football. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Vince Young was god.
Speaker 1: Vince Young was God. And then also the s C was freaking. People were arguing that they could could they beat the Niners? Remember when the Niners were really bad. I remember being in the Bay Area when this was going down, like people were like, s he could probably be.
Speaker 2: The team was so stacked. We gotta get Vince, We gotta get maybe Matt Liner back, gotta get McConaughey.
Speaker 3: Reggie Bush said, call him up when we do it.
Speaker 1: Reggie, this, this is this would be a fun one.
Speaker 2: Turn this into like a pay per view event.
Speaker 1: Bro, Yeah, we need that one.
Speaker 5: What up? This is Drew Barer. I was just calling because I wanted to ask you a question. I always see all your footballs and all your trophies.
Speaker 10: And all the stick ass memorabilia behind you, and I want to know you got to tell us what you're like.
Speaker 15: Top three things you got up there are the most memorable or most valuable?
Speaker 11: What you got?
Speaker 5: What's your favorite? Love you, Jules, keep it up, man.
Speaker 1: My most valuable three things I have on that wall dent gate ball, the ball that I threw that I thought I was throwing like a make belief pitch to Rob two on when we were throwing out the first pitch after we won a Super Bowl and Gronk actually swung the Lombardi Trophy and dented the trophy. We have that ball we got dent gate. That's one the cleats that I stole from Tom.
Speaker 2: The moon Man shoes.
Speaker 1: Moonman shoes. I show every professional athlete that comes into the nuthouse those shoes and he goes Man had a Tom move clonkers there. They are these epic. And then lastly I stole Matthew Slater's and Hailer, which is one of my favorites. He used to have his Inhaler and we used to be lockermates for like a long time and every day before practice he he'd be over there. All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Slater runs on albuterol baby, Oh my god, gotta love it. I think the Brady's shoes are up there. I love the Jewels Super Bowl cleats because they still have the confetti stuck to the bottom. Those are those are so cool. The confetti really sets it off. Let's see what else is over there. I love the Tiffany is also the Tiffany Football MVP.
Speaker 3: Trophies.
Speaker 2: Cool, honey, get me something from Tiffany. Here you go, it's the football.
Speaker 3: There's also the that's the Seahawks Super Bowl. Catch that ball? Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: The Seahawks touchdowns.
Speaker 2: M v P ball is sick. Jordan kletzos are massive. There's a t BE twelve titleist over there. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 3: And then my favorite thing too, is all a pop. There's a lot of game like balls, not game balls, but balls from actual specific plays. Actually pulled a few, could you that's what we got? Will you like as much as you can remember these specific balls?
Speaker 1: So Levin, Yeah, this was the punt return touchdown versus Denver, the one that we broke the record on or for the franchise.
Speaker 3: Trey Brown had three. I had three.
Speaker 1: It took me a couple of years to get it, but we got the Denver one. Brandon Brandon Bolden almost blocked the punt for this one.
Speaker 3: For this one, I think I think I just saw this clip because it was like a because.
Speaker 1: The punter dropped the punt and because of that the rush it was a low punt. So whenever there's a low punt, that means your coverage team can't get down there, so you could split them, you can. That was a cool game. What else we got? This is just a touchdown from Miami. This is uh I had the second one. It was a they were playing some form of three on two. It was like a triangle in this low red area.
Speaker 3: And what you're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to do, I think, is you're supposed to film, right. It was like a return route, so snag seven flat. A lot of people you have the flag route, you have the flat route, and then you could bring it in and whip it out. So this was a snag seven flat or some sort of return route. You sit in between the two guys and like it's a very big timing play. You gotta be the same like page of the quarterback because once you go and you have a decisive route and you flip, the ball is on you super quick because he's got to throw. You got two guys converging, you're sitting in the middle of the zone. And so we used to practice at a bunch. I saw it, Tom saw it, clearly saw it. You knew pre snap that it was going to be cover seven, which is a form of zone four on three two or three on two and so we were on the three side, I think, and he zinged it to me and they converged and I was able to get vertical on those plays. If you can catch the ball and get vertical immediately, that's when you can split it potentially.
Speaker 3: And that's what that one was.
Speaker 2: This is the Michael Floyd play. No, that's not that, Okay.
Speaker 3: This is the was this like a Thursday night game.
Speaker 1: This is one of those Thursday night games.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had two tugs on that game. I was in Mexico that game.
Speaker 1: I didn't know we had this. This is my first touchdown in the NFL in a real game. Ninety four yard touch punt return, ninety four out the door. Caught the ball. It was against It was against Miami Dolphins, and ten.
Speaker 3: Had long hair.
Speaker 1: I think I caught it and the gunner, I think mccordy rode his guy and I sidestepped him and then I tried to get to the return side and then you try to bring the You try to bring the ball up so you converge. You can make the coverage team come down. So the punt return, if they're all wide and you run, they all have the lanes. So when you catch it I side stepped someone because he was right there. I was never really scared of that. If a guy's coming full speed, all you gotta do is a quick move and they're gonna they're never make the tackle. You make him miss, and you try to bring the ball up because in the coverage team's gonna they're gonna try to go to you. And then you get to your return side. And when you do that, you're all you're looking for is Scottie O'Brien is one ass and another ass. You're trying to cut off an ass. He would literally draw it up on the fucking we'd be doing. He's like, you're gonna look for this a butt here and a butt here. You put your foot in the ground, you go, And that's literally what it was. You got them sideways. They were all coming to the ball, and then you widen them a little and that allows your blockers to get around and get cover. That allows them to get the angle on them. So and you bring it up. Your blockers are going around, then you bring it out. Then they run into your blocker, and then all you're looking for is butt a butt. You put your foot in the ground, you go, And we got it. It was crazy ninety four out the door, henk, Yes, last one, Hey, this is the double pass nice Baltimore infamous pasta Doola gronk lead blocking.
Speaker 3: Picks me up like a little kid afterwards. Yeah, that's double pastball.
Speaker 1: He always tells the Brady ball because he'd always if you guys, see right there, he always liked his his scenes on that.
Speaker 3: He liked them.
Speaker 1: You'd have to put these scenes right here because he'd get a little callous on his finger. So like a.
Speaker 3: Regular ball, that's a kicking ball here, Yeah, kicking the ball.
Speaker 1: See how the seam is not pulled down? See that right there? Yo, you want to like that?
Speaker 3: Interesting that? So is that a kicking ball? Is that the other team's ball?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, it's his other team's ball.
Speaker 2: And then I know, but tell the people at home what's the process like of saving these these special balls on game day?
Speaker 1: If you keep it, you just give it to equipment guy.
Speaker 2: That's why they tape it up like that, right, Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Tape it up.
Speaker 3: They'll do that.
Speaker 1: Or sometimes if you spike it, you you have ball boys, they would go grab it and they do you want the ball?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like or something like that. They were always cool with it. There's like a program nice all right.
Speaker 5: I have a question if Jack McCarthy was the starting punter for the two thousand and seven New England.
Speaker 14: Patriots, do you think you still would have had an undefeated regular season?
Speaker 5: Thanks and joy listening.
Speaker 2: To the pod, I think it was like forty four times. President Hanson, I believe was the punter. I think that's a record low. Chris Hansen, not the guy from To Catch a Predator.
Speaker 1: I know Chris. I remember I was a rookie and Chris was like probably in his like thirteenth year or something, and shout out Chris. He's always a good dude. But I remember I was at the the Residents in where we used to stay for a training camp, and I was there all summer, you know, like he was there. I guess because kickers, I mean and punters they're always like bouncing from teams and teams sometimes those stay in the same areas. And he was driving a lifted truck. I'm like, hey, hey, Chris, uh you ever want? Are you gonna punt it all this week? He goes, kid, I ain't punting until something like June or something.
Speaker 2: Like thanks, Yeah, forty four times a franchise.
Speaker 1: Low, Yeah, that's crazy. You could do it.
Speaker 2: Flipping the field baby? How far thirty yards? I don't know, twenty twenty five maybe a nice bounce. If the guy chooses not to return.
Speaker 3: It, I think they would have been all right.
Speaker 2: I think we'll be alright. We got TV, we gotta, we got a Randy and TV. We're good now, don't gotta. That makes me wonder how long you got actually put it? You should go hit the field, hit the field.
Speaker 8: So what would happen if Jools and Gronk or Jewels and Gola are out together.
Speaker 14: Maybe they decide they want the same kind of chicken wings or he Gronk really only like thumb sticks and really only like flat or did sometimes they decide maybe we could just share this wing.
Speaker 5: I love thee I love the.
Speaker 3: Podcast Chicken Wings.
Speaker 1: We usually order like every flavor and every kind of chicken wing they have. You can't just.
Speaker 3: Make one decision.
Speaker 1: You gotta go buffalo barbecue, like lemon, pepper, garlic, whatever they have. You know, there's always like a dry rub one and then it's always the sauce, and we never share a wing. It was this lady in the tramp, I'm gonna share this spaghetti and like, hey, gronk with a fucking chicken wing.
Speaker 3: Now you flats are wing drumstick guy?
Speaker 1: I like them both same.
Speaker 3: I like the drumsticks, the little the metal piece in the flat.
Speaker 1: Well, the flats are easier because you push him down and then you can just you can garfield.
Speaker 3: It bro tip.
Speaker 13: Did you guys ever did Della check ever? Do you want anything with you ejected?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He would.
Speaker 1: He would get really mad if we got ejected in it, if we lost the game. I mean, that's an easy way to get on those low lights and just have a real of things of why we lost the game, and there'd probably be like a three minute explanation on beating yourself. You can't win until you keep from losing. And if we're injected from a game, you ain't helping us in the locker room practice. He just yelled at us. And we all know the story of meaning Gilmore getting ejected first day of PADS Classic.
Speaker 3: Do you ever get ejected any other time? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I got ejected a few other times practice though, right, yeah, yeah, practice. I wish I would have done it earlier, or like sometimes if it was early in a training camp, try to get legs fresh or something. You just go fight real quick, get knocked out.
Speaker 2: Would you stay at the facility, like, get the showers, stay at the facility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're in the showers, You're in the training room. It's like when you got a bad report card and your dad hasn't come home from work yet. Like that's what it reminded me of.
Speaker 3: Would always did you get called the principal's office or is it like not always.
Speaker 1: Your position coach would talk to you like, yo, you gotta cut the ship. If if you went to the the principal's office, it was scary, chatty O getting on you, CHETTYO, like what the fuck are we doing?
Speaker 3: Big Man's gonna kill you, dude, We can't do this.
Speaker 1: He'd always say, you're in a fucking doghouse, not even a paw out.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Brother Dick molloy on a massfield nap?
Speaker 7: Yeah, biggest fan gold had I think you're gonna do pop ratings return half a day versus Pat at friggin Gellette Stadium where Bobby played for twenty years, and he came into Joel and kicked that ash. We gotta get Tobby.
Speaker 8: Be on the pod ball.
Speaker 1: We got again Tommy Be on the ball, not for that game. Not for that game.
Speaker 2: We'll have him. I mean, he's easy to get on. He can come on whatever. This will be like one of the four or five times he comes on. We'll do this game like his tenth appearance on the show. We'll do this one. Yeah, Or we'll get a Hunter Henry or something. Since he cost us the game in this one, did he?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: False start penalty, false start there at the end, and then that made Folks field goal five yards longer and the field goal just barely missed. If we're five yards closer, that thing's going in. I'm looking at you, Hunter.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it like a fourth and four that they If it wasn't Max Ricky season, you probably go for it there. I believe you don't want to put the game on his shoulder. I thought there was a.
Speaker 1: Drop on the fourth and four or something.
Speaker 3: Wasn't there?
Speaker 2: I think it was it was con rang on the line.
Speaker 1: They didn't get the first down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think because I think that the false start was in that series that backed us up and got us behind the chains in one of those he's a second or third. I can't remember Misty Knight in Foxborough Sunday late game and.
Speaker 3: Nick doesn't have the leg for that. It was like sixty.
Speaker 2: He almost made money, almost made it.
Speaker 1: Nick Folk had a great He's had a great career, so he's still doing it too. He's a he was such a chill guy in the locker room. Good dead boy.
Speaker 3: Will be fun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was the gold bawl.
Speaker 2: Yeah forgot that does have any.
Speaker 3: And great defensive performance from that Patriots team.
Speaker 2: Seriously, yeah, man won did that win? Thanks? Nicky malloy.
Speaker 3: That's two. Last one here.
Speaker 8: Julian mister super Bowl MVP Edleman see from a New Hampshire here with another question. Where did you meet these producers? Guys that seemed like a long time Boston friends. Where the recent highs of the podcast?
Speaker 5: Question one?
Speaker 8: Question two is how did you feel about fans talking snack during the games you played in? It's always a good comeback by saying, you know, fans saying or you saying to the fans, hey I need millions of dollars, and you guys are talking garbage on you know, on the on the fans in the stand. So just wondering you know what you kind of think about fans and uh, you know, especially games you played in and them talking smack to you while you're on the field.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, the great podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, first question, I met Kyler and Jack through Super Digital and Coast Productions. They used to work on a lot of my social stuff and we used to do a lot of short form content, the Burger Times, the smoothie Times. They were the ones that you know, were making the thing go and we just kind of all they knew my tongue pause, but they like knew my language, and they they knew how like we just we developed a friendship and a bond just through all the work over the years, and it made great sense. You know, they're Boston guys. Jack's from North Carolina but loves Boston sports with your father's my.
Speaker 2: Dad in Northborough, Massachusetts. Stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Kyler's from Western mass and he always gives this great hockey perspective because he's from Western mass and likes the Penguins. It's so fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird. I like the animal when I was young, Marlin was fucking awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But uh, and then fans talking smack. I just remember in Philly, I had this haircut once and I had like these two like claw marks in the back of my fade, so swaggy, and this guy made fun of my haircut for three straight hours. And it was right after I zing on on the fucking door set I threw that touchdown pass. I looked at him and I just went like this, like I scratched back in my head. I don't know what I was doing with it, but I like it. I like when fans talk. I almost liked playing more on away games. That's why I loved playing in New York. I loved playing in Buffalo. I loved being the villain.
Speaker 3: I like putting.
Speaker 1: I like bringing the circus on the road and showing that like everyone came to see us. They ain't come to see their team. They came to see us. I'll give them a show. That's why I run out that gate, get them all round up. Let's even when I when I went to a way, I would do it at home games and you know, you get the crowd pump. I'd do it at away games. I'd just sprint down the field, get my engines going. I would go and fucking do the thing and the people would be like I just felt like them just a felt like a villain. I loved it. I loved playing it. When they talk, I mean half the time, you're not really hearing them.
Speaker 3: More than half.
Speaker 1: If you're hearing them, you're not really in the game. So like early in your career, you hear shit. But like when it became you know you're here for a mission, sometimes you get some creative ship you hear it. I mean, you go play against the Cowboys, you gotta walk through there and like they're pretty much in your locker room, the people.
Speaker 2: That damn club Jerry's got, you gotta walk through like a club, a sports bar, Dave and Busters down there.
Speaker 1: Literally it's like walking through Dave and Busters. You got freaking cheerleaders on on the poles and stuff.
Speaker 16: It's crazy, gosh, but it's fun when like one will like stick out of the crowd and you just like hear that run. There was a there was a clip when we were doing your documentary you coming off the field, like getting pulled into the locker room after all like interviews and stuff, and I just remember specifically goes on my phone and like it's just crowd yeah, MVP chance.
Speaker 3: Or whatever, and then like out of nowhere, someone goes Julian Adalman, sit on my face. I just like stuck out of just like ambient.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. New Orleans was also crazy. Like my first time going, we played New Orleans and nine on an away game, and it was the first time I saw like Louisiana people like going crazy. They had like umbrellas indoor this is indoor thing, Like everywhere they had this like chant thing that was fucking cool. Those people got it. Place got rowdy, no, but they had this thing like after first downs they would do I forgot what it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: I was a third quarterback because I broke my arm, and I was an emergency quarterback, so I can only go in if both the quarterbacks went in. So I was dressed, but I really wasn't playing, so I was just watching these people, Like, man, these got fucking crazy, super dumb baby. Jets fans were always fun. I love going and playing the Jets. New Yorkers you know you're gonna win just that, but like it was always just fun because New York people can hate us.
Speaker 2: They hated us just inherently. You'd see like a twelve year old saying, fuck you did.
Speaker 3: Did you play? You played a couple of Giants road games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the same.
Speaker 4: Na.
Speaker 3: Did you notice the difference between Jets and Giants fans or is it all just New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a difference between Jets and Giants fans. There is. The Jets are The Jet fan are like more cranky. They haven't won in a long time, I mean since Joe Namath. You know, there's almost like the Giants fans think they're a little classier than the Jets fans.
Speaker 3: That's what they think. That's what they think.
Speaker 1: They probably are, but I don't know. The Jets fans are just it's so I don't understand it. It's hard because those people have lost for so many times. Oh, Brandon Marshall's over here telling me to pump the brakes on the Jets fans. He loves the Jets. Guy was there for a couple of coffee, claim him every time we did TV together.
Speaker 2: Big Firemanet guy, fire We fired him? Did you put him in a.
Speaker 1: We fired fireman d Brandon called him. He just said he called them on at the fire station and said, Firemanet, we need you to come back.
Speaker 2: He caught him mid sliding down the ball. I hate Brandon.
Speaker 3: What's up, dude.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 3: So let's do unboxing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Patriots sent me a bunch of boxes from the stadium a few years back, got lost in storage. Now we're going to open some of them up right now, let's see what we got in these bad boys. This is going to be very visual. So this is a good time to plug into your YouTube guys, because podcasting showing things is very hard. Oh, this is this is what we got here old Kent State jersey that they sent me there. It is that we didn't wear this one though. This is one of their teams. The other teams we never had this cool stuff. I remember when I was at Kent it was the first time we got stitch ons, Like our whites were the freaking terrible like iron arm print, screen print. I was like, can we get a goddamn stitch on this Division one football? Cliff, our equipment guy was Cliff. I think, Cliff, can we get goddamn And we got one o our game jerseys were stitch on. It was like a big thing.
Speaker 2: Who are you guys? Who'd you guys wear back then we're new. Wow, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Game, clee. I don't know what game these are. I had to get the leven wide. I had to put a freaking plate in here because of my freaking clee. I wore these clunkers. The J eleven on the back shut out for it was probably Brandon or Jimmy Neutron. Bobby Balls was more my thrower, but all the equipment guys were my guys and I was. I was endorsed by Puma as an af leisure brand and also with cutters, so I was like one of the first to start painting cleats because I had to because they couldn't. They didn't they couldn't have a cleat on the field, and so I'd paint my cleats to cover the Nike swish because I had to.
Speaker 2: In accordance with the Puma deal.
Speaker 1: In accordance to the Puma deal, and I put a lily pad on the back. You can't see it. There'd always be a lily pad for little nice. These are the rib pads I had when I tore the cartilage in my ribs, so I'd have to wear a direct thing. They would tape on me i'd get shot up. It was the Jets game in eight nineteen, right after the Super Bowl. I remember I was going down and a guy had me in the bottom of the guy had me on the top and he ripped. He contorted me and it ripped the cartilage in my rib and I went on. I tried to play. I was like, Oh that hurts. I tried to go next play. We were going NASCAR meeting. We had it was fast, let's get to the line, scrimmage, go go, and Tom calls a NASCAR play and I had an under from the f spot. It was like some bun or something. So I had to run under. I ran under from the opposite side. I was like, oh, we can't cut. And I tried to cut and the guy was getting close to me, and you know, I was kind of going half assed into my cut because I was like what the hell, And the guy hit me at the at the five yard mark and I was like, oh shit, I can't do this. I ran across the field. I just have my helmet, like coach, I can't go her.
Speaker 3: I ca.
Speaker 1: And so then next week I had we would fly in my doc. I forgot my guy's name, but he was the best and they'd had because of the whole the uh Tyrod Taylor. Remember they punctured his lung because he was shooting up his rib. They had to fly in a specialist from Boston. I think they would helicopter him in for practices so I could see if I could play the next week. And he'd have to use an ultrasound machine to put the needle in my rib area. And they would put it with a numbing agent, a lighta Kane or a marcine, And they used the ultrasound so they if you go too far, you can't puncture lung. So they knew exactly where it was in the shooting area.
Speaker 3: So after a while.
Speaker 1: This is one of the rib pads I wore, which didn't really help. This is Patriots Dolphins game. One of those touchdowns was in this ball. I think this is Everyone got a game ball. So every weekend in team meeting on a Monday, coach would always assign game balls to each of the phases. You know, Matthew Slater had two catches or two three tackles, you know down in the twenty Matthew, you get a game ball and they would paint them out you know, or in defense, someone you know, high Tower had two sacks, he'd get a game ball, or he had a great he's great in the run game, you know, Nikovitch had an interception. Like everyone, there'd be like four or five guys that got game balls. And occasionally, when it was a great team win, which this was the whole he would have signed everyone get a team game ball. So Bill would say, everyone gets it. This is a this was a team win. We all get it. We clinched the division on Christmas, which with a lot of distractions of playing on a Christmas Day, it like it's hard to get guys to check in that whole week. You know, it's a lot of things are going on. Regular dudes. You know, you got families, you got kids, And so he signed the whole team a game ball, and that's what they look like. So everyone get a painted ball. And sometimes when the whole team didn't get it, they would put on your stats of what you had that gave you a game ball and they would paint them.
Speaker 3: Cool. That's sick.
Speaker 1: These are some gamies. I think I wore these and uh I started wearing the Tyson All blacks. When you're younger, you always want to white white cleats because it makes you look faster if you're not really like a burner. I wasn't a burner, so you'd always want to wear like white cleats make you look faster. You had to be a baller to wear, you know, all black cleats.
Speaker 3: I wore these. I think against.
Speaker 1: Uh, I think these could have been practice or it could have been against the Cowboys where we lit them up. We got to look at that, look into that. This is practice jersey. Every day in the practice jersey.
Speaker 3: What's with the high crop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just you didn't I don't know, It's just the thing to do. Like if you were if you watch from my rookie year to now, I mean my my rookie year, my ones were ironed on, like way off and stuff. You had a long, big ass jersey. You know, the more more cut up your practice jersey was means you had a little more stripes. Oh I still yeah, definitely thanks Danta or Dante Dante high tower. I don't know how I got this, but I'll take it. I may have just snagged that, but uh, this is a super Bowl Like this is like the probably the the we used to have picture day, so you wouldn't wear I mean some guys would wear like the mock ups.
Speaker 3: Some guys wear their game ones. This is from l I fifty three.
Speaker 1: Dante used to get so mad at me because I used to call him Danta because that's how you spell it, like ta. Look, you can't be saying that because you're gonna have all these new Englanders call me Danta. It's Dante Bro.
Speaker 3: He's on the coaching stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, that's right. Boom tower baby. Yeah, you guys know what this We all know this one can smell from here.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: So this is the yellow shirt I used to wear notoriously under my practice jersey for a long time. And I wore it.
Speaker 3: It was a.
Speaker 1: Reminder to every single guy on that goddamn team that I didn't go to goddamn Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan. But I've been here longer than you let him know, except Slate, who went to UCLA or Tally went to Michigan. Oh, this is bake. Whoa bake?
Speaker 3: We did it?
Speaker 1: I think we did a jersey swap after a game.
Speaker 12: Yo.
Speaker 3: That's a game or two.
Speaker 1: Jules, good to see you, one of the greatest competitors I've ever seen keep balling, Bake. I think I sent him one too. Yeah, up those are that's a good jersey. That's a cool looking jersey. Captain on there man, thanks Bake.
Speaker 3: How does the jersey swap go jersey swap?
Speaker 1: I mean usually after the game, guys, you know you guys will come up, and usually if you're a older guy. I think I was older when Bay gave that in the night, gave him mine. But Bill never liked us to like, look, assholes, we don't we're not giving our fucking jersey. Way, then the equipment guy's gotta go get your shit hemmed up. It takes two weeks. You have a fucking jersey for the game, just tell them we'll send them one. So you had we would do a jersey shop, or we couldn't take our and you got payroll deducted, so it'd be like four hunder bucks because the jerseys are four hundred dollars. So anytime you gave your jersey away, you got payroll deducted, and you couldn't give your game jersey because it woud knock off our our jersey guys, and there'd be two or three jerseys but he just did. I don't know, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: He got deducted.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, everything everyone thinks like when you're getting tickets, you get oh, I get you. No, that's coming out of our pocket. Nothing's free. The dragon ball Z's I think these could be This could be Josh Gordon's. I don't know how he's got in here those fire but it was probably Josh because Josh always had some sickle. It could have been jaw. Was he Adda's guy. I believe he was, and it was It was definitely Josh Gordon. This is Flash dragon ball Z. Addition, they're sweet.
Speaker 3: That dude. He had some swag.
Speaker 1: Amen, And that's what we got cool, A lot of cool stuff in there, man, memory Lane. Shout out to Bacon, Dante and Flash and team Kent State and Kent State. That was the one training thing the gave us.
Speaker 3: That's what you got.
Speaker 1: I was so happy when I got to the Patriots that we got free gatorayed shakes. What an episode. Thanks again, guys for the voicemails. They are awesome. They're they're so fun to be able to talk sport with with you guys. You know, I remember always listening to those as a kid, and now have people come in and you know, come and support us and and uh enjoy what we like to do. That's that's it's like community, right, and will enjoy like the idiot ness of you. That's community poetry right, there is.
Speaker 3: Love. Our friends still got a name our it'll happen. Base name.
Speaker 1: Fan base sounds weird, it'll happen.
Speaker 2: Listeners. I don't know the listeners saw one general Yeah.
Speaker 3: Names, namers, g g namers.
Speaker 1: Like gnarly yeah, but you know, namers, gamers, glamors.
Speaker 2: I've heard the nuts. Some people have nuts, nuts, nuthouse nut talk, What up nuts?
Speaker 3: What up?
Speaker 2: Nuts? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean that's what I hear anytime I go anywhere with kids that are like ten because of Randy Moss impression, heynut.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to like a school thousands of kids. These kids, first off, they all have phones. They're like eleven ten and.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't nut.
Speaker 1: I don't nut. I'm like, oh my god, these kids are listening to this shit. Fuck I go this parental advisory. I got principle over here looking at me like, oh, you have a podcast. I'm like, yeah, don't listen to it.
Speaker 2: What circumcision Randy, You've created a lot of little monsters. Man.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well that's been another episode, another great episode of Games and Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast, comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Please please remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero. We will see you guys next week. Happy Birthday, America. Be careful, kids, Please be careful, Be careful, enjoy, Have a wonderful Fourth of July, guys,