Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Left Sweat Godcat. My guest today is legendary songwriter David Ugo. Where's a new book, The Soul Mayor?
Speaker 2: David?
Speaker 1: Why this book? Why? Now?
Speaker 2: Well, there are a couple of numbers. One is eighty four and one is uh. The clock is ticking, and so for that reason, I wanted to be sure that the wonderful experience I've had being in this business called music and what has done for me, to me and through me, I wanted to be sure that my fans and grandkids and family would have something to keep that signifies they would have heard it from me. And the book gave me the opportunity to do just that.
Speaker 1: Bob, Okay, where do you live right now?
Speaker 2: I live in Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: So you're still in Memphis. The book goes on a lot about Memphis. Let's start with how is Memphis different today from when you grew up?
Speaker 2: Well, I think with any city there is progress, there are changes. For the most part. If you're in love with the place that you've been all of your life, you look can see the beauty. And with any city there are challenges and circumstances that cause you to wonder, but you realize that in this too she pass away as an old statement, but it's a lot of truth to it. So Memphis is quite different than it was when I was younger. I was born in the forties, so you can imagine what that was for a kid born in the Deep South with circumstances that were not favorable for him, yet he had to go forward. And so being a part of that kind of initial phase, the only way was up. In Memphis has shown great deal of proper regress through the years, and at this particular time it is a major progress from where it used to be in many positive ways. And then there are growths in areas outside of music that are very positive as well. So I'm really really proud of this city and what it has done, as I mentioned earlier, for me and for those that I care about, and it's done wonderful things for many many people. And I've seen those kinds of circumstances and action as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've been to Memphis, and I always read about it. It's in Tennessee, people may or may not realize, across the river from Arkansas and very close to Mississippi, but it's the same state as Nashville, and they're radically different. Can you tell us what makes Memphis different from Nashville.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not one to get into bashing any city, and certainly not a city that's in the state. Even there are some things inside of me that says hmm, but uh, I I just feel that that there is a a soulfulness, there is a persona that is unique uh for Memphis. Uh there is a a spirit of samples of of of kind of all around. You mentioned Mississippi, Arkansas, and when whatever there are samples of of of of of things all around that plays a part in the meshing the melting pot of what makes for an interesting place. So there there are things that you you experienced in an ongoing way that was not like yesterday, but certainly you have no way of knowing if it will be similar to tomorrow. So Memphis affords you that kind of of of of kind of potential. But also the musical influence of Memphis versus what what uh uh has been historically in Nashville is quite different in in respect that Memphis has never run away from the value of the blues, never run away from the value of R and B. Never run away from the value of the significant contribution of blacks in not only in the country this country, but in and through music, and so just that embracing of it that became a factor that motivates other young kids, blacks and whites with aspirations to do music, that that's a good area to touch upon. And so Memphis makes a vast contribution to the to the significance of why there is they just intimilate for instance, or Charlie Rich for instance, or in Elvis Presley for other instances. I mean, but that's just part of the magic of what makes Memphis unique, the soulfulness that's never been compromised.
Speaker 1: Okay, to what degree was there racism growing up? And what degree were you aware of it?
Speaker 2: Well? Uh, to what degree there was racism? And what When I was very young, I didn't understand what to call it. I just knew for some reason that people who didn't look like me thought that they were better than me. The interesting thing about that was, as children or young people, you don't know how to define better because you're living from day to day, growing each and every day. But when someone gives you a spirit of non acceptance, don't be close to me, don't touch me, or don't drink from this water fountain of that kind of thing that tells you that they have a problem, not you, even as a kid, because I had to scratch my head in wonder what these people who think they're better do they ever use the restroom? Do theyny what toilet paper is? I mean, is there a difference? It's just it's just it just made a young kid wonder and not necessarily call it for what it was, because you were not clear on what it was. But you know there was a difference. And that was the experience for quite a while growing up. And then the music on the radio. When I started listening to the radio, initially I was hearing you know, Pat Boone and Frank Sinatra and artists of that il before nineteen forty seven, forty eight, when I was like heading tw what eight and nine years old. Then here comes a radio station called WDIA, and that gave me a sense of significance that made me one understand what race was, and two understand that this radio station was playing the music that was relatable and more digestible for people who look like me and the other music that I was hearing that I had to adapt to and appreciate, was really not necessarily for me, but it was something to hear. But I respected the value of good music, so I enjoyed that as a youngstery as well. Because I didn't know any better than when I started hearing w DI. I I didn't know that I like WDI like that. So how did you discover you? W dia A and tell us more about the programming, what the DJs were like, and what the songs were that they were playing. Well. WDA was the first African American radio station in America. They changed the format from pop country music to blues and rhythm and blues the early stages of rhythm and blues at that particular time, and that format involved with quite clarity are artists of the ILK of Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley, and how wof Jimmy Reid and eventually BB King then Bobby Blue Blair. All of the artists that you were able to listen to gave you a clear picture why most of the world was saying, y'all all look alike, you're this, you're not whatever, But this music was showing young kids in blacks in that area that the personalities, in the uniqueness that was in those artists potentially was in each and every person that looked like me. So that gave that generation that I was a part of, a drive to fight, to work to find the individuality that they believe existed in them. And so that radio station was amazing in that regard for getting you to see the value of you as a person.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're a little kid, you're listening to WDIA. What were a couple of record words that moved you that just blew your mind? A.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's hard to sell a couple, Bob, but I would look to Chuck Berry for one, Boldilly for another. And when I say blew my mind, the music of patterns that I'd been hearing was straight flow. There was no dynamics happening with it. The chord progressions were there, but there was no differentiating what those chord progressions were saying to you in addition to what the lyric was saying. When I was beginning to hear music on WDIA, the music spoke to me in concert with the message. The personality of the artists spoke to me in contact with the uniqueness of them, and it was like music was in fact a language. I started seeing the value of that as a young kid, and it made me have aspirations to try to find what that unique disc it possibly mean in my young life. So I started writing down lyrics and harm and melodies as I'm listening to songs being played on it that I was making up while I was listening to things that were being played. So it was it was that kind of magic with that format to WDA was having. In addition to that, they were making an offering of engaging more directly with the community. They were having talent shows on the radio. They were having singing choirs that sang on Saturdays, the teen Tones as it teen Towns rather as they used to call it, where they would perform on the radio. And now at these the kids from all different schools that would come together to rehearse to develop a format that they were being instructed by one of the radio personalities on the station of WDA, mister A. C. Williams. So it was it was just such an unbelievable country contribution of radio at that time. It was an educational platform. It was a spiritual platform on Sundays with church being played. But it also was a platform of seeing the individuality of black talents that were heard on that station, which was amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, we talk about the records on that station. You personally have been responsible for number of hit records, very successful records, not like today. When these records were hit, everybody in America was aware of these records. You're in the studio making a record. Do you know when it's a hit or when it's not a hit?
Speaker 2: Let me say it to you like this, Bob, because this ansin. I don't think there are fortune talents out here, but I think sometimes you get fortune. And so a couple of times I felt so comfortable broke the little money. Don't know what the platform of major success truly means, but I felt that that song was going to be successful. What that meant in actuality, we told clarity No, I didn't know. I was learning, but I felt that the first song I felt that on significantly And we've been Isaac and I had done a few records before this, but the first song I significantly felt that was a song on Sam and Dave called you don't know like I know. And when that record came out, I assumed that record would only be played on black radio stations, and it was. But I also assumed that, if I'm thinking right, this music is digestible to people who don't go to church. But the spiritual significance that was in that particular melody and song came from the church, and I felt that that was going to do something special, and it did, and it was a chart record for Salm and Dave, and that was a road map for Isaac and I to cement the concept of creativity that we used all of the hits that we did.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's she use that first big Sam and Dave song as an example. When did you know you had it when you were writing it, when you were recording it, when they were receiving did you know from the time that you know it was composed or did you have to make a finished record to say now I've got all of it?
Speaker 2: No, No, Isaac and I worked from concepts. The reason we worked from concepts, if you don't mind me elaborating just a little bit, the reason we worked for concepts because when we would hear music on the radio motown records, we saw that motown records had more of an emphasis around a straight four beat, a straight four beat with amazing melodies on top of that and flowing strings and all horns that flowed with that and really great lyric and they were digestible for black and white audiences very easily. Burt Bacharac and Hal David were writers of another ill that had the most amazing melodies in their songs, and Bert would come up with some of the most intricate changes ever imaginable. I didn't understand what all of that meant, but I know what I felt and what Isaaca and I felt with the uniqueness of that, And so we knew that we could not outdo Motown and what they were doing, and we certainly could not outdo back Iraq and David and what they were doing. So we had to find a path of creativity that led us to have our own uniqueness. Remember I said I was being influenced, we all were in this community by the contribution that wd Ie the radio station was making with the individuality of black artists. So we came up with the concept of the low end using the bass, drums and guitar with signature patterns around that particular area that created the uniqueness for that and came up with with melodies and that was my specialties. Uh uh. That that gave an energy to those signatures on the low end, and we felt that that would separate us sonically with the sound. We didn't you know, we didn't get so technical in the sonical aspect of how to define what all these things were. But we we talked in terms of the sound of it, and we were we found that that was our path and what you don't know like I know, uh, we thought that that was a validation of that and from that point on we were able to go forward with a path that locked us into that. The next song that happened with that was a song called hold On I'm Coming, and it was it was just that ability is to to really define in our own minds what was going to work in a unique way for us and then be able to say this is going to be it, which it was, it's going to be a hit or wasn't. And so we called hold On I'm Coming as a hit and it was We called soul Man as a hit, and that was when we wrote it, not even before we recorded. When we wrote the song, we felt that my role was to to teach Sam and Dave, the melodies of the songs, the vocal patterns, and the nuances that created the uniqueness that gave them a spring inside of their personalities. They already had the soul for this, They already had their vibe, they had had records before, but they were willing to let us shape an order for them that was a little bit unique but different for them, but also merit where we were creating from. And at the time we put that together, the four of us, we didn't know it would be of the magnitude that had ultimately ended up being, but we did know that we had found a combination that was a strength for us, that seemnu at the uniqueness of what we were doing versus what we were hearing at Motown and or back of recond David, and so we were able to constantly turn out hitchel on, Sam and Dave with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've written a couple of you know, you talk about soul Man, hold On up Coming, and these are iconic numbers forever, But you've written many many other songs, right, So generally speaking, do you wait for inspiration or do you say, well, i'm working, I better write some songs or do you say an artist is coming into the studio, I better write some So what is the impetus of creation?
Speaker 2: Well that's a good question, abob because eventually we got into a situation where everyone wanted songs for us from us rather and in order to be sure that we didn't have things sounding a lot, we did what I mentioned a moment ago. We would first come up with a concept and then decide on whether or not we could be a significant compliment to a particular talent that wanted to work with us. And so we were working from that level of understanding, so we would would come up with the concept get a creative direction. We live by the philosophy that there are no new emotions. You have to find fresh ways to talk about common emotions, and so we wanted to be sure that the emotion that we talked about the love on this group didn't bump into the emotion that we talked about love with a Sam and Dave or Karla Thomas or Johnny Taylor. We have to find fresh ways to do it, and we wanted to be able to do it inside of what we were able to develop as a concept for the new uniqueness of the artists that we were working with today and me talking about this with you, it sounds like we were thinking in a very very scientific, highly analytical kind of way. That's not the case. We were feeling these things, living out of the emotion of what we were feeling, and then acting up on them, and they were validating the meaning and the strength of it based on the results of them. And as the results kept coming, we kept developing even a better understanding of what we were doing. And more importantly, we were doing what we were doing, so we were able to work different artists different times. When it's time to work write a song for particular artists, we had a concept for that artist. We know what that concept was, We know what the last record we had done on him. We know we didn't want to bump into them with a similar idea with the follow up record. We knew what they had done before, We knew that what was the hit on Sam or n or Dave or Johnny Taylor or whoever, And we knew that we didn't want to bump into any of those and we were fortunate enough not to because we've created a vacuum around each artist that we worked with that see minute, that aura for them, and it drew the listener's mind to them and where they were, more so than them being aware that really every song generally is talking about the same things. You hurt me, I hurt you, we fell in love yesterday, fell out after you, whatever. But it was able to be thought in terms of the active or other in terms of those ways. And even though those things end up being quite successful, we were not that brilliant about that. We just were feeling it the right kind of way. And I'm sure you've heard the thing about you get on a run and then things work.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: We were on a run coming from a space of spirituality and emotional connectivity that was hard to define. Yet it was happening in such a continuum that it was creating a tremendous amount of excitement for us, for each and every artist that we worked with, because we were trying to outdo what we did on the last record. We never wanted to create something for any artist that we wanted to be as good as the last record that we did. We always wanted to be better than the last one that was dead we did, and so we were the best critic of one could have because we were the worst critic for criticizing what we were doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a famous story about how you come up with the title hold On Coming. Okay, Yeah, when you come up with that title, do you then say, oh, we should write a song or you try to write a song. You came up with the title and then it just flew from there.
Speaker 2: Well, first, if you allow me, Bob to say this, Uh, there was there was a a some journalists of some folk from from from London, from England, and they approached me about we're writing uh bathroom stories uh around music. Do you have anything that could be a bathroom story from something that you guys had done. Now, as strange as that was first place, I never would have thought that someone would have gotten me to talk about how hold On I'm Coming came about because I wasn't keen on wanting to tell somebody that I was in the restroom. So I'm thinking because I mean, at the time, we were a little popular, Isaac and I, but we were not household names. So I'm just thinking, well, what is it going to hurt? I'll just let them know what happened with this. Decades later, the whole world knows about hold On I'm coming and how it was created. So so no, we Isaac and I would quite often go to clubs just to air out, just to relax, just to just to take a break, and we would jay. In my book there's a picture of Isaac and I on stage. This is before he was recording at his artist performing, he and I performing together. We would do that often, leave the studio and go to a club, jam, leave there, go back to the studio, put our coats and jackets off, put something on, and go and write. This is one thirty two o'clock in the morning, one of those nights when we were trying to come up with the follow up to you Don't Know Like I Know. On Sam and Day, we went to a club called Club La Run and Isaac and I jam that night and we left there twelve thirty going on one o'clock and we came back to the studio. Well, in the Stack Studios, it was an old movie theater that Jim Stewart had converted into a recording studio. You know with the slope floor that you walk down, sit in your seat and look up to the screen. Well, in those theaters, there was no area outside in the lobby that you would go to the restroom. No in those theaters, and in those times, you'd walk through the door to go into the theater room itself, and right to the right or left would be a restroom. And because it was at that as soon as you were walking in the door, when you would go into the restroom, people wouldn't see the light from the restroom because they've gone down the floor and they're looking up. So it was placed in such a way that it was not an intrusive thing for a restroom to be inside of that of a theater room. But it also was used as as one of our echo chambers as well. On this particular evening, we were trying to come up with a follow up for a record on Salm and day. We went to the club, had a great time, came back to the studio. I said, hey, man, I'm gonna run to the restroom. He said, okay, go ahead, he said, He went on down to the piano and I couldn't have been in there very long at all. So but to your question, I'm thinking about creating a song even in the restroom. Isaac is thinking about us creating a song even before we even started. So I'm in the restroom. He screams out to me, because he you could hear her. Hey, man, hurry up. I hadn't been in there very long. I said, man, hold on, I'm coming. And it hit me like a light went off. I walked out of the restroom. I said, Sack, Isaac, we got one. He said, what I said, hold on, I'm coming, He said, hold on, I'm coming. What you're talking about? I said, let's come up with a rescue song, you know, like the Superman kind of thing. I said, let's come up with that, and and and and and have a point counterpoint where Sam and Dave and talking about rescueing the check. But we also wrote with double meaning well, we also talked. I said, in this the media would be support and support for each other as a people in the times we were living. Because this is nineteen sixty six. He said, well, you know what you said, Superman and rescue. He said, man, I put down a horn pattern a couple of weeks ago with Wayne and Andrew. Wayne Jackson and Andrew Love were the Memphis Horns. They would do the sessions and stacks and we were all working together. He said, I just put this horn lick down we called a horn lick would be maybe eight bars or sixteen bars of a particular run or pattern, and you never know what you're going to do with it. But it was there, he said. I said, well, let me hear it. We went up in the with that time the control room from the studio room where we were writing. Isaac put a seven and a half tape on played which sounded like a superman flying through the air rescuing this. That's well in the stress. I said to him. He that's it, man, that'll be the signature for this song. We ought to start the song all with that, He said yeah, because we generally when it started the song featuring a horn pattern. Said yeah, So with that in mind, he now sits down at the piano. We've talked about it. He sat down at the piano. He hit a chord. I started singing right then, Bob, don't you ever feel sad, Lean on me when times are bad, When the day comes and you're down in a river of trouble in about to drown, Hold on, I'm coming. I sung it. It came right through me. In twenty minutes, we had written a song, and at the time it was things came to us that kind of way. We knew where we were going with Sam and Day, the point counterpoint kind of thing that was we'd already established that's what we were going to do with them. The church vibe is what we were also going to do, because you don't know, like I know, showed us that and that just came together that way. But it came together not with any kind of forethought except we were ready to work. We knew we were going to capture eye emotions and control the emotions targeted for the credibility of the artists that we were working with, and we stay true to that. He knew where that was. I knew where that was, and it things just flowed organically that way.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about Isaac laying down this sworn spot. You know, I realized he did it. But how much of there was there of doing that? And how would that be created? We said, oh, I have a riff in my head. I want to get it down or I need to create some riffs.
Speaker 2: How did they create the No? No, no, oh that's great. No. No, it was just if he felt something and he had the opportunity to stick it down, whether we use it or not, and we did that often. I did it. He did it, Steve Cropper did it, We all did it. Brook would do it. We just do it. And if you if you're working on something and thinking about something, you think you made it on, use something that it can marry. You talk about it, you put it out, Listen to it. If it jails with what you're thinking, find if it doesn't, you keep going. He has had that the hit had been there a couple of weeks. He never said anything to me about it. By the same token with hold on, I'm coming. I already knew when we first sit down to write the song. I already knew what the beach should be, what the drum beat should be. I'm not a drummer, but head arrange what we all do at Stax and what we are all uh proficient at doing. I knew that there was a record that came out of New Orleans by an artist by the name of Lee Dorsey, and he had a hit record called Get Out of My Life Woman, and the drum beat on that record, I felt was an amazing drum beat. Al Jackson Jr. The drummer at Stacks, played on all those hit records, was a genius at being given a seed of an idea of what you're thinking, and he manifests that into the aura of what you're asking him for. He knew the get Out of My Life Woman beat, He tweaked the beat, put that pattern down on the Hold on Him Coming record, and it's one of the most revered records ever on a record. When you hear the record of hold on Him Coming on the radio with that horn pattern and that beat, if you listen close to the beat, you don't hear beats like that, and the uniqueness of the beat of that and the individuality of the horn pattern with the melody and that feel. We knew that was going to be a number one record, and it was. But that's that was one of those things that, like I said that, we don't go down and say, well, we're going to write a hit today or the other. No, we target what we're going to do, concept, what we're going to do. Stay true to that because she got a four piece rhythm basically, so you've got to make the same players that you're using regularly sound unique to what you're working on, and the only way you can do that is have a unique forethought to begin that, Isaac and I started working in a more significant way for the team the artists who made that obvious thing that could be a strength for Stax Records was Otis ready. When Otis would come to Memphis, Otis would walk around the room harm all of the pars that he had in his head, have the guys play the pars, and everything they played sounded nothing like anything else they had played. The uniqueness of it was right there in your face, and that was the magic what told us that the potential for them to do. Every artist we worked with was inside of them because Otis had broke them into that. When I said them, I'm talking about Booker, t Al Jackson Jr. Doug Don, and Steve Cropper. And instance, when when we were working on our records, it was Isaac on the keyboards. Occasionally we would use Booker, but that was the rhythm section. When when the records were being made on Albert King or Little Milton or Johnny Taylor, that same rhythm was used. And when we would use them on those artists on records that we songs that we were producing, we had a targeted creative way conceptually that we would use them to create the individuality for those songs. But that was where the magic came about, and that was the way the magic came about inside of the Stacks facility. We never started using other core musicians in rhythm records at Stacks into years later. It initially it was just those guys. It was what we call the Big Six. It was just us.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to like laying down horn parts. Let's say Isaac has an idea for a horn part, and let's assume he has it outside the studio that he wants to lay it down. Are the Course six coming every day so he knows they're going to cut it? Or does he have to call everybody up and say, you know you got to cut this part.
Speaker 2: No, every day, there were sessions being held every day you were coming into the studio. And you know the interesting thing about that, Bob, when you go back to the early sixties, there was not a lot of money being paid for musicians to play that The money went a long way, right, But broker T played the baritone horn that I got him to play on the roof of Time IMA's record of Course I Love You. He made fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: And so it was easy to be able to record regularly for our core rhythm and horn section because you know, money was flowing in such a way that people had more accessibility, access access rhythm to the music, and you had more abilities to get people to play the music, and so people were able to what we call make a living at that time that way. So sessions were going on quite regular and the bigger our artist roster, god, the more artists would be recording regularly. It was a long time before we got a studio. B It was just one main studio, and we eventually had a great number of artists to work with.
Speaker 1: Okay, you go to the club, you put together talking and shitting mirror. Hold on, I'm coming. Do you record a demo?
Speaker 2: What's the demo? Bob? No, No, we we actually write the song. Get the artist. Sam and Dave did not live in Memphis. They would come to Memphis. I would teach them the song and tell them directionally where we're going. Then we would get ready, because they were only in town for two or three days, we get ready to do the section. The next day, they got paper on the stand. Looking at the paper, now, that means that you got to be very compelling in your discussion to get them to understand the direction of a song. Well, how do you do that? Well, when when we recorded Sam and Dave, I were teaching the song now, the Stack studio was a slope old movie theater floor. We would be way at the top of the room, almost like you walk in the door at the movie. Stated there will be a baffle between us in the rhythm section on the floor. There would be a mic on the guitar amp, a mic on a bass amp, mike's on the piano. You know, I mean horns are standing behind the baffle, all standing in the room after we've talked them the song, them being everybody now, in order to secure that the imagery and attitude is not compromised with every act, including Collin Timbers, I would be on the opposite side of the microphone directing them like a choir director, and they would be on the mic, looking at the paper and following those cues. When people realize that that's how those records were recorded, they were surprised because we didn't go around telling people. Well, you know, when Sam and they recorded sol Man, they had to look at me as I direct them to do the squall or whatever on soul Man or whatever. But that's how it was done. So no one was going out talking about what our processes were. We were just marveling in the fact that these people all over everywhere thought we were geniuses. We knew we were not genius. We just knew how to do what we knew how to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stay with hold On Coming for a second. So you guys write hold On I'm coming. You obviously write down the lyrics. You have the riff for the horn. Do you write anything else down so you can remember the song?
Speaker 2: No, okay, we knew well the musicians. They the musicians, those guys, they would put numbers down if they wanted to look at a piece of paper, numbers, not notes, numbers, and so if they wanted to. But by and large, when we get in the room, we are teaching patterns, so more so than just musical notes. They had to learn the pattern. Duck had to learn the bass pattern. Steve had to learn the get type pattern. Al Jackson knew what the drum pattern was. So each song they were inside a capsule of understanding of the pattern, and the pattern goes to whatever that pattern is for four bars or two bars, and then he goes to the five, and he goes to the to go back to the tongue to the one. You know, I mean, they were numbers, but you're you're, you're, you're, you're knowing what the patterns are. So no, there was no writing down the music in this kind of thing. Now, when we got into the orchestration years later, when Isaac got into that kind of thing, Isaac did not write music. He didn't. That wasn't that he didn't know how to write music. But Isaac knew how to create the parts by talking to an arranging guys that could copy out his melodies. And if you want to chord spread or one, three, five, or he wanted a suspensions or whatever, he could say, give me a spread on it, and that guy would would show him what that chords spread with sonically would sound like. And he said, yeah, that or no, and they would write that out for the strange players of the horn players or the flute players that come in on the session date. So but no, we never functioned by uh, let's write out the music charts for the songs we were going to record. That never happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stay with hold on, I'm coming. You write the song in the middle of the night, you know it to hit. Okay, how long after that do you actually get to see him and David in the studio? And do you know you haven't hit so much that you're telling everybody you got to get him in soon, or you say, hey, we'll wait until their schedule opens up.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no. At that time when we were dealing with Sam and Dave, Otis, Karla Thomas, Johnny Taylor, I think Abbot King, Booker t and MG's, we had Gene and the Darlings. We didn't have the big artist Rushter at that time, so it was easy for us to say we were ready for Sam today Jim, because Jim had a relationship with Atlantic Records. Sam and they were actually the artists on Atlantic Records with Jerry Wexler, and so there was a relationship between Atlantic and New York and Stacks. And during that time, Wexler was smart enough to utilize our environment as much as he could, So he would get Wilson Pickett to come down to record, he would get Don Cove to come down to record, and it was that kind of a thing. So sessions being scheduled and artists being asked to come in was quite easy because it wasn't that big Hughes roster that we eventually got, and you were able to say I'm ready in two or three days. The artist would coming because they hadn't exploded yet after you don't know, like I know, that was when Sam and they just started doing quite a few gigs. They had just started that, so because they wanted their career to continue to explode, all we had to say was we need you in next week. Whatever they had. They would reschedule that if they had to, and be in that studio next week and I'd be teaching them the song. Three days later we'd have the song recorded.
Speaker 1: Okay, you hot the song? You get Sam and Dave to the studio. A do you work with the rhythm section beforehand or are you working with the vocalists the same time of the rhythms day section. In addition, once you teach everybody their song and they work out their parts, how many takes how many channels? How long does it take?
Speaker 2: When we start with Sam and Dave, they have four people in the room, Sam and Dave and Isaaca and I I'm teaching them the song. We're creating now semen. In the structure for the song. In some instance we would think that X would go where why is? But then we would change that and we would put see where why is. We would create the structure based on what we were hearing coming out of them and the marriage of the transitions that we feel worked effective for them, and we would do that and we would get them because it's all fresh to them. They're just learning the song. So to us, we know we made some drastic changes, but they don't. So what they're taught is what they know, and so to them, it's much much easier for them to feel and contain it than it would be for us, because Osica and I would have lived with it for three or four days sometime a week, and so we would be able to understand what we were doing and why we were doing, and they would be able to place close attention to what every thing they were hearing. So we would teach them the song, and then when we schedule for the session, we would bring the horns and the rhythm in and we would have the horns sitting outside until we were ready for them to come in. But they would be there and we work out the rhythm with the four rhythm cats, and we'd work out the parts right there. And as I mentioned, they were parts, they were lines, musical lines, and they would get those and they would they were so used to being together and working together. It was not as you know in Motown, I'm sure had the same kind of system where folks were able to feel each other, trust each other and go with it and know it would be right. And we had the same thing. But that was the advantage of having the same people that you're working with, who trusted each other, who felt each other, and he knew how to create the nuances necessary to communicate whatever the producer wanted from the song.
Speaker 1: Okay, see whom and Dave were brought in. You teach them the song. How many days later till the rhythm section and the horns are there. The rhythm section works it out, Then what do you do with the horns section? And at what point do you start recording.
Speaker 2: We bring the horns in when we get the rhythm, when the guys are comfortable with the rhythm. Now we bring the horns into the studio. We've got the rhythm. Now the horns are hearing the rhythm. Generally, when we would have those records, the guys, because those sections would be really locked together, the guys in the horn will be pumped to want to play it because it sounded interesting. All of the songs sounded interested in these guys because they knew they were part of something magical. They didn't know to what they sent The magic was magic until it was done. And then we talked about the nuances, the auras inside of the lines, and the kind of energy that we want to one of the lines. We go through all of that, so now they're ready to do it with the rhythm of the rhythm and go we run the whole song down. We don't have Sam and Dave screaming trying to sing the song at that particular time. We got them listening and learning what the music is doing. Now they still know where the melody is because I'm talking to them about where the sections are. Now, this is before they go back to the We go back to the back for them to sing. Now the horns and the rhythm lock, and when the rhythm lock, we're ready. Now we go to the microphone and the guys the rhythm and the horns hadn't heard Sam and Day blast yet. Now they hear Sam and Dave blast, and so when they start singing on the microphone, the energy escalates immediately in that room. That's in every song because it's fists like a glove. The concept that Isaac and I have for what we were doing and the way we went about accomplishing that always made the guys trust that it was going to be what we wanted it to be because we knew what we were doing, but it really was we knew who we could trust and we could trust them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now everybody knows their parts. How many tracks are you recording to? Is everybody playing at the same time? And how many takes do you go before you were convinced you got it?
Speaker 2: Well, I won't to go back to when we first started. I want to go back to the four track days with the Life I Live in No Song, because we started with four track, then we went to a track, then we went to sixteen track, then to twenty four track. So the eight track was a fascinating time because a gentleman by the name of Tom Dowd, who was in New York with Atlantic Records, a genius, was one of the greatest minds in studio environment that could ever be, I believe, and he came down and straightened up so many things that were going wrong inside of our facility, and we didn't even know what it was. Jim Stewart didn't even know at that particular time that he should change the transitions in the little console. Tom Dowd changed the transitions in the console. And if you listen to the record you don't know like I know, you will hear the pristine sound of that record comparison to the records that followed on Sam and Dave and others, because those transitions were just putting that con off that record. So you can hear you don't know like I know, and it's just like crystal clear. And you could tell if somebody tell you to listen closer and you compare the record, you can say, what was that? No, it's the same room. But that those little kind of things that we didn't know what the heck we were listening to that Tom Dodd came and said, well, you guys need to change this and change this and whatever. And it was magical for us, but he was common knowledge for this guy who was a wizard at that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So would you record the act all at once? Who would record the vocal separate from the rhythm and separate from the horse?
Speaker 2: What? What do you who? When No. One, two, three, four downbeat on the one. Everybody's got to be right when the one happens, When that count offf happens, everybody has to be locked in in every kind of way possible, with the right kind of energy, the right amount of energy, the right conviction for the section as they would come. If you don't do that, we got to do it again. But because you're blowing your heart out on every cut, you can't afford to do it again. So everybody's locking in because you got to remember the patterns every time the pattern comes. So each time that count off happens, and when the one hits, everybody is locked. The singers locked, the musicians locked, Isaac and I locked in the production part of it, and we bring it off. And so we never had thirty cuts of forty cuts of anything. I don't know what. I wouldn't even rite count up to that. We never did anything like that because the emotional connectivity was on every track every time. That's what made the magic and the beauty of Albert King so unique. Every time Albert King played on a record, his guitar parts, the records that were out and hits some standards on the Albert King, every one of the out takes, it was the same thing. But that was with everybody. Everybody would would would give it all, every take, every cut, so and it was all done at once.
Speaker 1: Okay, So generally speaking, how many times would you cut a track? And once you got it, did you fix anything? Or that was it?
Speaker 2: There was a thing called splicing, taking a razor blade and cutting the tape and putting it together to make the section shorter or a little bit longer or whatever. That was something that was done. But generally, I mean no, you had to be on point, and and folks were on point very seldom. We didn't get into things such as overdubbing and those kind of things until we got into sixteen track and twenty four track.
Speaker 1: Okay, they cut it a certain number of times. You wrote the song with Isaac, You guys know what you're looking for? Is it making them play? You talk about how long they were?
Speaker 2: Could it?
Speaker 1: Could an alternative take been the hit? Or were you looking for the one?
Speaker 2: Always looking for the one. I think everyone who does what they do in an ongun way way looking for the one. You're looking for the one right now. You want the quality of your podcast to be on par to the level of everything that you do. So if something is not that as good as someone you may make feel when you're doing it, you're going to find a way to make it right. And and that's the same thing with making records. Those of us who are in the arts, we know what the art is and so we are looking for that and we're not open to something when you hear, When we hear funny notes or read a squeak on on the sack or something in the middle of a pattern that sounded good, we gotta do it again. We got to do it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have this gigantic kid with hold on, I'm coming. What do you know? You know that people are looking for another Salm and Dave record. Sam and Dave want to work with you guys again because they had all the success. To what degree do you feel the pressure and how do you come up with soul man.
Speaker 2: Well? And being honest, we young and Isaac and I didn't feel any pressure. Now that's strange to say right now, because having lived as long as I've lived to say that, I'm saying, Wow, that's and I know that's true. But why didn't we feel any pressure? Because we were so in love with what we were doing. We were so comfortable and what our gifts were, and we knew that we had to do it tomorrow, and so we were so comfortable that tomorrow it would come and we would do it till we didn't feel anything. We just were enjoying the journey. Now we had to understand what we were doing and why we were doing it. That's why the theory, as I mentioned earlier, about coming up with concepts with those that we work on, was so extremely important. If we were just writing and creating off the cuff, then yeah, you talk about pressure, but we didn't have any of that because we were not creating off the cuff. If we're going to do a Sam and Dave record, we know why we were doing Sam and David, and we know what we had to do and we know where we were going with it. If we were going to do a Colin Thomas record, we knew why we were doing. When we recorded B A B Y on Caller we knew what we were looking for with the record. Now, generally we have every pattern that we're looking for on a record, on every song that we would do. On B A B Y, we didn't have the bass pattern that we were satisfied with. Now we're working on it in the studio with the musicians, and we didn't have the bass pattern. But we knew we didn't because we said, let's try it again, let's try to gain because we were trying to get the rhythm to lock on it. Booker T. Jones and I will forever give a book a credit for this. It is in my book as well. Booker T said what about this pattern? And he played the pattern that you hear on BA B Y College tump on a bass pattern and we said, man, we like that pattern. So we used that bass pattern on B A B Y. And that was given to us by Booker T. And I say that because that was the energy that was inside of the stacked room. Generally it was Isaac and I giving away parts and lines and things like that for other people's record. That was one time that one was given to us by the great Booker T. Jones on a on a major hit record.
Speaker 1: Let's start with ba b y. You have success with that record, use your process. And then in the late seventies, Rachel Sweet comes out with a.
Speaker 2: Cup Yeah yeah, right, What did you think about.
Speaker 1: Her aid doing it? And if you remember what you thought of her version.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me let me be honest with you. When I was complimented that she was doing two, I had no idea that would have the connection in the marketplace that it did, because in my mind, no one could top Colin Thomas version of it, and Karla did it so effortlessly. So I didn't think that anyone could be that relaxed doing a song like that and it come off that way, but it did. And so when I heard that, I mean, it was just a surprise to me. But what and it told me was that we had written a good song, and a good song on a good artist with a good combination of players can make a good record. And so I just felt wow, surprised, but please, And I hadn't heard anything else. I remember Achel by name, but I don't know any of the records by her.
Speaker 1: Well, that was her one big record. Going back to Otis, the legend is that Otis was the driver and he asked to sing, you know, late in the evenings. That legend true.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt. Otis was the driver for a guy by the name of Johnny Jenkins who I was there when Jim was trying to record him. And Johnny Jenkins was really not that talent in the studio. He was doing what we call it comedy called freezing in the studio, and that was Johnny Jenkins. And Otis was asking Al Jackson to get someone to take a listen to him, because Otis would be in the in the room, lying on the floor when they were trying to cut Johnny Jenkins. And there was no there was no magic happening with that. And so at the end of that, everybody was ready to go. And finally Al Jackson was the one who got Steve just to say something to Jim to listen to Otis, and he agreed to listen, and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: How did Al know that Otis was good?
Speaker 2: He didn't. He was just trying to get rid of it. No one knew Otis was good. No one knew that he was saying with Johnny Jenkins, he was the driver bringing it.
Speaker 1: No one knew, okay, so he starts to sing. Does the light bulb immediately go off over your.
Speaker 2: But not over my head, over Steve Cropper's head, Al Jackson's head, in Jim Stewart's head, because I mean, I'm just listening. But I'm sorry, I'm not just I wasn't in the room on that when he was singing that song. They were just listening. And Steve has said many many times that the hair on his arm just stood up went over to start singing these arms of mine. And Steve was the one playing piano. And Steve is not a piano player at all, So what he was doing was playing tribleish on the piano because he was He's not a piano player. But Otis made his triblet playing sound magical because of his tone and the imagery that he was doing inside of his vocals. Otis was especially from day one, but no one knew that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what was your experience of working with Otis?
Speaker 2: Well, you have to know that, to me, one of the greatest lyrical minds that I'd ever seen was Otis. Ready. ODIs could take the most simplest of lyrics, said in the most abstract way, words that don't link up in a digestible, understandable way with each other at all and make you understand what told clarity, the meaning of it. How do you do that? He could do things with his voice and with his tone that would make you feel the emotion of what he was trying to convey through a lyric that was abstract to the lyric line that he was doing. That speaks volumes about artistry. And he was just magical with that. And then if you would ask him what are you here? With that, he would have the part in his head that he could tell you what to play. And it wasn't that he had thought long and hard about that part. It just when he was called for it, it just flowed out of him. And so that that just said trust, magic, confidence, and all of that wrapped in one and otis was that he was magical like that.
Speaker 1: Okay. One of the stories I loved the book was the creation of soul Finger, which is a song I always love. Can you tell that story?
Speaker 2: Well, Uh, this was during the time where I'm still trying to get my way into the foe in a lock in way with Stax Records. So I'm up there working, not getting any money, but working trying to convince them to bring me on because now I'm still selling it. I'm selling insurance at that time. And so they had a rhythm track of these kids that went to Booker T. Washington High School, which is the high school that I went to with James Alexander Ben call It and Jimmy King, those guys. And I walk in in the room where they're playing this rhythm riff. I being me and Isaac, we go in there and we hear this rhythm rift. Well, jim is standing on the floor this then, and they don't know what to do with this, and so I said, uh, you, matter of fact, try an idea. I was. I'm paraphrasing now because I asked for the chance to try idea on the track. Now you must understand that, because no one knew what to do with this rhythm track, they were open to that. Isaac said to he said, soul Finger. Now, James Alexander needs to tell his story because he knows it's true. Isaac came up with the title soul Fing. When when I heard that, I went outside, went to the grocery store next door. I bought two cases of Coca Cola, asked kids that were on the street if they would come inside of the studio because they had never been in the studio, I said, I want to come in the studio. I got them to come in the studio. They're all in the studio, were all in on the floor there. Just then I said, you want to do something for me? Would you like to be on the record. These are young kids, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve years They started screaming here. I said, listen, I'm going to wreck you like a choir, and every time I wave my fingers like this, I want you to scream as loud as you can. You want to scream like I said, Yes, I said, but why when the music is playing. I want you guys to talk to each other and have fun. Have fun, yes, I said, but listen, each time I bring my arms down, I want you to say soul finger. So soul finger every time I do that. So they thought that would be fun. Jim set up microphones around the room. They still don't know what this is, And be quite honest with you, I don't know how I'm going to direct them to do anything. So it's going to happen organically, and I'm not thinking analytical about organically. I'm just thinking I want to try something, and Bob, it was just I want to try something. ISAA came on with the titler, I want to try something. The only person that was out of any money was me for the two cases of coke. And because Jim is not paying me yet now, so I get the kids screaming, and then whole finger and so and then and when they heard that, they being Jim heard that there were no records even anywhere remotely close to anything like that. And because it was nothing remotely closed to anything like that, and because it was soul finger, and Jim, who I love, doesn't know what the soul finger is. Isaac does, but but so and the public doesn't. So so we put that on the record. They released the record. Now, uh the horns which Ben called it, and I forget who the seclay. When they heard this kid screaming, they put the horns down on it. On soul Fing, they put the horn down and Ben Carley, who was the actually trumpet player with the Barcade, had a signature sound with his horns, and so they were just having fun. They had no idea to know that that horn rift the way Ben was playing it along with the tennis side. That riff was going even more signature of that record. Of course, no trumpet player would play a lit like that on a record, and so because it was so filled with uniqueness, the record exploded. And here it is, decades and decades later later, still lives like that.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask, I think I know the answer. But if you made that record today, there'd be somebody running around with releases for all the kids to side.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right.
Speaker 1: You didn't do any of that, right.
Speaker 2: Not at all, not at all the same thing with Will Smith's getting jigged with it, the kids don't getting jigged with it with no no Nina. Those were the same kids on nine at nine twenty sixty smacklamore that I got to put on a record called Sanging Dance on the Barcades. I produced that, wrote and produced that record for the Barcas. That's years later, right before Styck's closed. That's where that came from. Those kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, you finally get on the payroll, you're at a roll, you're working with Isaac, you're going to clubs, you're working in the middle of the night. How do you maintain a relationship, you got a wife, you got kids. I mean, there's only twenty four hours in a day.
Speaker 2: In my book, if you read all the way to the end, I talk about the sacrifice not only that the creatives make, but the family make. And even they don't know they're making a family, they're just quite sad that they don't have the bond of a family unit because their father is working his you know what, off and try to make something happen that's meaningful in a constructive way for them. So you make a conscious decision as to what you're going to do if you're going to do this thing called music, and what that means is that you have to make a conscious decision of how much you're willing to give up to give yourself a legitimate chance to be successful at doing it. And if, by chance, you don't succeed at doing it, there is a possibility that you will have lost your family. If by chance you become successful, there is a possibility they may feel a similus of some value from you. And or if by chance there was so much dissension and anger because it just didn't work in a synergistic way. You got kids that don't think well of the family and the family's splend and whatever. And that's the sin, for lack of a better word, that this thing called music can do to you when you're passionate about working and making sure that you give you a simple, legitimate chance to be successful in it. And in the book, I say that the greatest sacrifice that could be made it is sacrifice that a family makes to endure that from someone who hass to find out if they have it or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, you come from a family of twelve kids. Your father dies when you're extremely young. You're living your life, you know, doing various things. You have sexual intercourse with a woman on her porch, she gets pregnant, and you marry her. Ay, what's going through your mind during all that? And two, how do you keep your mind focused on a music career when that happens? I have.
Speaker 2: I'm in high school, in the eleventh grade, in high school. In the book, I disclosed it. We don't really know each other. And as I mentioned, my father passed when I was very very young, two years old, as a matter of fact. And I don't know enough about the birds and the bees to know what I should or shouldn't do. And so I did something that I shouldn't have done, and I get a girl pregnant because I don't know what to do, and I'm in the eleventh grade. She has to drop out of school. By the time I finished, I'm in the eleventh I finished eleventh grade. I start the twelfth grade because I'm determined to finish high school. I wanted to go to college. I had no money, but I wanted to make something happened with my life, and so I go to school. This is during the time that I didn't think I was the father because I didn't think I could get a girl pregnant by doing what I did. That shows you how brilliant I was about the birds and the bees, and so that's really what happened. So the music, I was still passionate about it. I was singing on talent shows and all of that, but nothing has started happening for me at that particular time. By the time I finished high school, I graduated from twelfth grade June sixth. My son was born June the twenty sixth, and I wasn't sure he was mine. And my mother told me that if you had sex, whether you have to marry it, and This is before there was anything like DNA or anything like that. But I come from a period of time when you do what you did, you don't have a choice. You have to marry the girl, and so that's what I did. And so it was that kind of situation. And I was just coming out of high school, and that's when I started working at a grocery store to take care of the kid. Two grocery stores, trying to hang around Bill Street to learn more about music, and trying to make some money to pay whatever little bills I could pay. This before I even got a place to stay. So that's where that was. It was no success. By the time my career started going in a successful way, I was not with the mother of my children.
Speaker 1: So how do you get yourself into stacks?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm working at the grocery store across the street and I see that they're doing construction across the street in this billing. I go over there just to see what it was. And in the building, I see a man with a hamming thing, and I see they got a who it looks like a room that they're gonna have somebody in with some equipment. And I see this wide open space which was was the live room for studio A. I didn't know that at a time, and he's almost finished with a studio room and I inquire about what it was and he said that, uh, they moved from another part in the city. But they they're gonna they're doing country records there. That's what they're gonna be doing. Well. This community that he just was moving and was doing the studio and was just converting over to a black community. The white cenistery was moving out of the community and more and more blacks were moving into it. Additionally, I'm working at the grocery store across the street. Additionally, there was a records shop that Jim Stewart's sister opened right next to the interests inside of the studio. So I just went into the record store and started asking her about who she was, and she told me who she was, and they were part of that, and I started developing a rapport with her because I was able to go over there. I couldn't buy the records, but I could hear records playing on my breaks, but I also could talk to her about is it any possibilities that her brother would give me an audition? And it was her that convinced him to give me an audition. That didn't happen right away, but when he got the urge to pay a little bit more attention to me, I was already hanging around every opportunity I could get, I'd walk over there and hang around her. So I was finding out where their sensibilities were as it relates to doing music and changing because they were not having any success with the two artists they had during country.
Speaker 1: Okay, but at the time, you saw yourself as a singer more than a songwriter, right right, So how did you ultimately realize songwriter was the way for you to really get in?
Speaker 2: Well before he let me in, I had also developed a relationship with Isaac. Isaac went to a rival high school, Nance's High School. I went to Booker T. Washington High School. We used to go to Belle Street on Wednesday nights and sing on talent shows. I from Booker T. Washington I had a group called the Marquettes. Isaac from Nanca's High school, had a group called the teen Tones. He sang bass in the group. He wasn't even a lead singer, and so we would rival on Wednesday nights trying to win three dollars, which was the prize for first place. That's how we met. So here it comes. I graduated from high school, I'm hanging around the studio across the street. I want to do music. I got a family started. I'm trying to find a way to do that while I'm trying to work crazy hours, two and three jobs to take care of that. And Isaac and I start talking. He's got a family, he has no money either. So I come up. I'm one of those kids that's a little bit aggressive in respect that I believe that when I make my mind up that I want to do something, I would go for it. So I said, well, let's start a record company. Now, mind you, I don't know anything about a record company, but I can't get into the stack studios, and I don't know how to do a record company. But I know how to make a record because I've made a record called Farewell right as I graduated from high school with a shyster that it recorded me and skipped left town. I never saw anything after that. I heard it on the radio, but I never saw anything. So I was already being proactive with working toward making something happen. So Isaac agreed with me, let's let's do something. Well. I've been selling insurance in addition to working at a grocery store, and in one of the instances of selling insurance, I met and made a relationship with a gentleman by the name of ge Patterson. So I said, we can make this record my classmate Homer Banks, who sings. He had just graduated and I love his tone. Mind you, I've been hearing these tones of individuality from these artists from WDIA, so I know that if you got something that sounds just like you, there's a chance, because something can happen. So I'm not thinking about making me a start at that time. I'm thinking about here's a guy who's got a really unique sound. So I said, okay, how are we going to do it? I said, well, let me see. So I go and I talk to a gin jockey and convince him to go into partnership with Isaac. I now, mind you, this is illegal, and I don't know it's illegal, and I'm telling him I would give you twenty five percent of the record company that we have and he says okay. So now I go to Chips Moment, who had been at Stacks, but who had left, you know, right right before the name changed, right as his name was changed. Chips left because he didn't want to do the music they were doing and they were going to do, and he left and started his own thing. So Chips had this building over in North Memphis. Because Chips knew me. I went and talked to Chips. I said, Ships, which you let me have some studio time. I'll give you part ownership of this record. He says, what record? I said, we're cutting recording this artist right here. He heard the guy's tone, he liked his tone. We hadn't even recorded the songs yet, he says, for what are we talking about? I said, twenty five percent? Okay, mind you. I don't know how to negotiate. So now Isaac has twenty five percent. I have twenty five percent, Chips has twenty five percent, and a dishocking by the name of hal Alkins has twenty five percent, and give we take three percent from each of us and give the artists twelve percent. Rawdy So so I borrow money from a gentleman that I met for selling him insurance. I borrow five hundred dollars and we record a little Lady of Stone on one record in Sweetie Pie on the B side, and another record called Ain't That a Lot of Love? Now, while I'm trying to figure out how to get into stacks, I not only do that record, which did make any money, I do another record at High Studios under the pseudonym name of Kenny Kine. I record that, and I do another record of Savoi Records in New Jersey by a gentleman by the name of fred Mindlsson, none of which I give anything from. But I'm I'm hustling trying to make something happen. By now I'm getting more experience. So while all that's going on, Jim Stewart is now trying to record Rufus and Colin Thomas. Because I'm still hanging around there. He doesn't know how to put a band together for Rufus and call it for that record. But I knew who Booker T. Jones was because I skipped over this. But Estelle had convinced Jim to do an audition for me, and I did the audition. I bought William Bell singing background on my audition, and you love playing ten of sacks on my audition. Booker T. Jones playing baritone horn on my audition, and I sang the song, got a rhythm session, got a piano player by the name of Bob Tality to play for me, and I stumped because I froze in his studio. But I bought what eventually became some of the cornerstones of Stax Records on that audition. Beyond that, we moved forward to when they were trying to put a band together for the color for the Rufus and Caller record of Course I Love You. I went and got Booker T. Jones to play baritone horn on that record. The signature sound on costs I Love You by Rufus and Khala, that's Booker T. Jones. If you listen to the record, that's a high school senior by the name of Booker T. Jones that I went and got the play on that record. I got some other musicians to play on the cost I Love Your record as well. That's before I even get into Stacks. But that is the kind of and I talk about this Inine the book. That is the kind of out there kind of spirit that I had that got in the mix of a lot of things, including Stacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, generally speaking for a creator, all the money in music is in the publishing. So you started in an era where writers didn't tend to own the publishing. The publishing was owned by somebody else. So how did the ownership work with your songs and do you own them today?
Speaker 2: Well, let's be honest, years and years ago, talents were not given the information about what their rice were. So consequently, people who own their music when they wrote it did not know that they owned two pieces of that music pieces of every music piece. So they think when they wrote the song, that was the money. They not realizing they because they were never told me included that there is the writer position in the publisher position. So these people who know that are taking advantage of us as green as we were, and take the publishing part of that. And so we ended up agreeing to sign away the songwrite a contract. Was in that contract you signing away your publisher rights. Isaac Hayes, David Porter, William Bell, Biggert, all of us did that. We did that because the information was never disclosed to us about what our actual rights were in that regard. Well, that was the nature of the business during that particular time. That was how it was done. We all eventually learned more about the business, including how not to allow that to happen in an ongoing way. But by then the Book of the Magical Songs were already controlled by someone else. The only thing about that was that at some point that material publishing side of it and writers would revert back to the writer. But by now you find that information out. So there are people that's trying to get you to even sign that away. But if you know better, you do better. So I, like so many other folks, knew better, and I did better, and I got all of mine back.
Speaker 1: So today you own all your songs.
Speaker 2: Well, well let me just say it to you, like this Universal Music on all of my songs, I own all of the money that I ever need the rest of my life for my songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to make it because we'ren THEUS. Errah, you sold your rights to Universal for a lump of money. Yes, okay, So you know you co wrote a lot of this stuff with Isaac. Yes, was Isaac in agreement with you on all these rights? And what then Isaac died? What about his airs?
Speaker 2: Well, isaac position was protected by his heirs and and by him, so he had his position concrete because we each we were fifty percent owners of everything that we did, and I had my position concrete. I took my position and acted up on it in a sound beneficial way. I always looked out for Isaac when he got sick and all of that, and was close, very close to him, even to the point of his passing.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was in the hospital with his with him when he had passed, so I I was very close. But he had his ownership position in I had mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, how did Isaac end up being an act?
Speaker 2: Well? Uh, that's an interesting story because when Jim Stewart made the relationship with Atlantic Records, that relationship was one that Jim didn't have told clarity of because the contract that Jerry Wexler got Jim Stewart to sign, Jim forfeited ownership of all of the masters of all of that music that we had done. I mean naturally the Salmon and Dave because that was an artist that Atlantic bought there, but all of it, and Jim had signed away that ownership to Atlantic Records, and we had no masters. When Atlantic came out of the deal, Jim got out of the relationship and so we started from scratch. Al Baill, who I give credit to being the god sin for all of us, ended up making some magical things happen fus Stacked, Jim began was beginning to fade back. Al took over an ownership position at Stacks, the six of US six being Steve Cropper, Dug Dunn, Isaac Hayes, Booker, T. Jones, L. Jackson Jr. And myself Were given an ownership position by Al Bell And what Al wanted to do was build up the catalog of the company again because we had no masters, and so he came up with this novel idea of recording twenty seven or eight albums in flooding the marketplace with albums. Now, this was during the time where it was not known the album sales would be astronomical as they ultimately became, But that was an idea that Al had. So Al was trying to get any and everybody to record albums, and he gave Isaac the opportunity to do that. Now, mind you, we were still Isaac and I were still producing. He gave him the opportunity to do that. Isaac took advantage of that. The first album I recorded was an album called Presenting Isaac Hages, which sold about two thousand albums. It was not successful at all, but that's what he did then because al was still trying to get album product. I just said, well, do you want me to do another album? El said yes, because he's trying to get more product. He said, well, if I did one, I'd have to do it the way I want to do it. Al agreed to let him do it the way he wanted to do it. Now, mind you, al Bell did not know what he was saying, because Isaac recorded the next album called Hot Buded Soul with four songs on it. Nineteen minutes long, was a song never in the history of the music business had there ever been anything like that. Additionally, he didn't write the song, but he took a thing that we did at the clubs when we would going jam and come back from the clubs to write songs. He took a song that we did at the club by the time I Get to Phoenix by Glenn Campbell, and he came up with a concept for that song that ended up being the staple for the album Hot Butter Soul. It sold the album nineteen minutes and it exploded his career. Now, Isaac then crystallized the concept of the chain look and the look that he had. He knew about staging, and he knew about concept, and he merged all of that into what he was doing, and the rest is history. Well, by then, now I'm producing the acts because Isaac had to go on the road and he was making stupid money, crazy money at that time. And I'm producing artists. But in the meantime, I get the feeling, well, well, I'm gonna record an album myself. So I recorded an album. The album sold about one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand albums. Now, in the scheme of things in proportion of Isaac, that small potatoes been in proportion of money, that's great money for Stax Records. That's a lot of money. So so, but I don't get to note the riodley as an artist. Isaac does, in which I'm happy for Now. I record a second album with hang On Sloopy on it, which I covered a song that sells another two hundred thousand plus album. But I don't get the note rioting. But people know about I'm now. I go on a tour with Isaac and we played an example Philadelphia Spectrum, which is in my book. The picture of that of That's post is in my book that Miles Davis is to open and act for us, and we have a sellout on Thursday night in Philadelphia with Isaac Hayes, especially against our David Porter Miles Davis. I still didn't want to go on the road as a regular so now I'm still producing artists in the studio. Isaac is traveling all over the world doing amazing the will. I decided to cut one more album, a concept album called Victim of the Joke, an opera with acting scenes, sound effect the whole nine yards. It becomes a cult album. One of the most sample pieces of product Imaginal is that album, and so many records have sample from the album Victim of the Joke. But it's amazing years later, just me personally, about five hundred samples of stuff that's directed to me, which is crazy. Isaac is a global superstar all over the world, and I decided to put all of this inside of the story, inside of a book and let people know with clarity more about me who I was comfortable and not disclosing all of what I was about who I was or anything such as that and certainly not comfortable in talking about my life to the extent that I have, but I wanted to make sure that I used this opportunity to let people know because they are hearing music that was done by me and that's on records. Magan Statu, you had a record last year that's a sample of David portersong. I mean, it's just it's just amazing what it's been. And the fact that I wanted to share my life experience with the people through this book was something. But that speaks to what was happening at Stax and why even with a bank attempting to close it down, why years later, even when they thought they'd closed it down, the music catalog still explodes after Stacks closed, Bob, I think I know you know, but I don't know how much of your audience would know after Stacks was closed, where they thought that they had destroyed Stacks. There were major hit stars from Stax. Johnny Taylor had a record on CBS figure this called Disco Lady. The first multi platinum single you can google this in history was Disco Lady. The Staple Singers had Let's Do It Again, number one record Pop charted all of that, Johnny Taylor, all of that. Oh, I mean so many of the artists, the Barcays, many many gold and gold albums that they've did for Mercular, the artists that were a part of the spirit of what Stacks was kept living on and survived and still played a pertinent part inside of the fabric of music appreciation all over the world. And it was just a magical kind of thing to just get the opportunity to talk about as I'm doing with you today.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to tell my audience you're a great storyteller. There are these stories and more in your book. You know you've already left your mark. You're letting more people know about the details of this situation, fleshing out the story of Stax Vault, which has gotten some of its undue status in the last ten or fifteen years with documentaries. David, I could talk to you all day. Thanks so much for talking, taking this time and talking to my audience.
Speaker 2: Bob. I have such great respect for you, and I certainly thank so far for media for connecting us and vast appreciation for what they've done, and much respect to you. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love hearing these stories, these details, this is what I lived for.
Speaker 2: I'm fine didn't telling them. I'm fortunate enough to be able to still be around.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I say, you got all your marbles and you tell a good story. Not everybody can still do that. Or yes, I said, unfortunately a lot of people are no longer here. So it's good that you laid this stuff down.
Speaker 2: Now, well I laid it down, and I feel quite fortunate. I started a nonprofit bob several years ago, as a matter of fact, fourteen years ago, called the Consortium which MMT. The Consortium MMT which stands for Memphis Music Town, which gives creative instincts for songwriting, music production and recording artists, instincts to them to learn about some of us, all the guys who and ladies who played a role in the fabric of American music, how we did what we did and how we went about that. And I have in video one hundred and thirty plus videos of some of everyone from Stevie Wonder to I have a booklet from Maurice White who Maurice is my best friend, we grow up together, to Jimmy jam the producer, to Steve Jordans with the stones. Now to Ray Parker Junior who just all of these great great talents, so many Eric Benney and yes letters see it's Valie Simpson, so many amazing talents. I get them to tell their stories of the creative process and their exceptional skill levels, of their focus, and I'm able to give this free to Africans who enter the program. They consortium MMT program and they get that free. And I feel so honored as you say, they have the marbles to still do things like that. It's a special special.
Speaker 1: Gift given back. You've given back today, Till next time. This is Bob left sets