Speaker 1: Welcome into Bucks Insider, coming to you from the Bucks Studio, presented by Ticketmaster Casey Phillips here with Bree Dix, and it is one week today, one week from today, we are going to have the NFL Draft.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We have looked at this thing every which way to Sunday pun intended, and man, I mean it's just going to be so fun to see. I think there's a lot of really fun storylines. So we've been doing Road to the Draft, which means every week separate from Insider, we've been doing a lot of draft discussion, but now that we're one week out, we wanted to bring it into here as well. But we figured instead of just looking at prospects that's a lot of what we've done on what road to the Draft, we wanted to look at the Bucks roster itself, some of these different positions that feel like they're some of the highly mocked to us positions. Look at the roster, see what the depth looks like, see who could be most impacted by a draft pick. So that's what we're going to do today. We're gonna start with these were gonna be all defensive guys, just because we know that has been one of the more mocked things to us again, Coach Jason Everyone has made it clear that does not mean the Bucks will not be rafting anybody offensively. But we've seen a lot of people time on defensive positions. So let's go ahead and start here with our defensive line. So looking at this roster, and we have, of course, we know we start Vita Collijah Budget. Yeah, yes, one to the end, very easy. Those are our big, top, main superstar kind of guys. But we wanted to kind of look at this group of people here and I bolded here Greg Gaines and Logan Hall because I think they're some of the more interesting ones of you know, Logan Hall really did seem to make a big jump this last year, and I thought that was really interesting and great for him as a former pretty high draft pick. Greg Gaines has been able to step in spell Vita Vea when he needs done some really great things. You see a lot of these other names here in your mind as we look at the likelihood of the Bucks getting defensive linemen in the draft, how much of a priority or not, and how who would be kind of mainly impacted As you look at.
Speaker 2: This right, well, I think the Bucks, as we've kind of talked about, have put themselves in perfect position where when the draft gets here, you've added depth at the correct position. So now at pick nineteen, the Bucks don't feel like they have to reach or press to get a specific position in order to have success. You can take the best player available, and whether that's an offensive player, whether that is defense. They resigned Greg Gaines, who, as you mentioned, he's kind of that primary sub for v to aa ut nose tackle, but in some of those short yardage yardage situations he's also been key in kind of helping stop the run. He's physical at the point of attack, so he's made an impact in Lonlike you mentioned Logan Hall as a guy that's kind of really come into his own. It seems like the game has slowed down for him, and I think in one of your discussions with Casey Rodgers he was saying, you know, for Logan Hall, he's a guy that his sack numbers have increased, and that's even more impressive considering he's that guy that typically is running off the field on those third down situations where pass rushers are able to get to the quarterback. So I think he stepped up also enough to where the bucks are in a good plate place along along the front, I think kind of maybe looking more like inside linebacker getting guys in the secondary, I feel like at on the defensive line, they're in a good position.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I think that's what we wanted to kind of highlight looking at the guys like Logan and Greg who've stepped up where we know we already have kind of superstar level guys with Beat and Klaijah. Of the positions and especially on defense that is not necessarily, not necessarily the position you feel is the most needed. So let's move on to one that maybe is more so, which is the outside linebacker edge whatever you want to call it position. So as we take a look at whoall is currently on our roster, there you see that we bolded these three names here, Chris braswell, Anthony Nelson and Jose Ramirez because again same thing. I feel like they're going to be some of the most interesting ones to decide as if you do draft an edge guy, and then depending on how high that it looks like starters this year, again, we know we feel pretty good about the idea of Hassan Reddit coming in being a big time player. Yah yah Dyabi stepping in right there. But man, Anthony Nelson, I love how coach always calls him steady Eddie, steady Eddie, that you know when he goes in there, he knows what to do, he knows where to be. I mean, he made maybe the biggest play of the entire season last sure. Yeah, so I think that that's been really great. And then Chris Braswell is to me the big sort of question mark of we hear a lot about guys taking a big leap from year one to year two at any position, but especially edge and especially in Coach Bowls defense, because they get asked to do a lot of things. Yes, they get asked to drop, they get asked stuff that they haven't necessarily done always in college. And so when I've talked to guys that help coach that position room, they're always talking about how, yeah, that's a tough one to adjust to that first year. And so I do feel like it'll be cool to see how much he takes that year one year two leap. But and then Jose Ramirez, that's that's the guy that we know. They like, They've kept around the practice squad, kept him around a lot of different times. So how much do they feel like he could take a step up or is this where you look at those names and it's yeah, you know what, we either need someone who could really make sure that they're coming in on those rotations doing a lot, or who knows, are you looking for someone to be the starter over Yaya or Hassan depending on again, where you draft this position and if you do well.
Speaker 2: And I think now you're kind of hitting that the critical point where you can see the ability paid dividends, you know, learning in the first year. And I really think too you look at a guy like Yaya Dabi that he had a lot of success in the rookie year and even though the SAC numbers may not have been there this past year, but he was still affecting the quarterback and I think he's a guy that's kind of found a way to harness that power that was the big thing and one of the reasons they drafted him. And I think in a similar way with Chris braswell, he's continuing to kind of figure out how to unleash that be it and kind of how to harness that because he's a guy that you know has the burst off the snap has the acceleration to flatten the pocket, and those are qualities that the Bucks really liked. But it's okay, how can you add that to your arsenal and how can that help you have success? But also filling in in that rotation and having an opportunity to get to the quarterback and a lot of guys you know, are trying to get the ball out quicker. They're going with short passing attempts to try and mitigate that Bucks pass rush because everybody knows that Todd Bowles is going to bring guys. So I think you'll see a little bit more of Chris Brassewl this year. And also, like you said, Jose Ramirez, a guy that they really seem to like and is putting in the work. And even though he hasn't been active for many games, you know he can push through the tight end chips and he can affect the pocket as well. So I think they're in. When you look down at the depth with that position, you get excited about guys like Hassan Reddick in the way that Todd Bules can use them, and it's not you know, I took in my latest mark, I took an edge I think in the fourth round. And that's just I mean, it's so deep at corner. You've got a lot of inside linebackers at the front of the draft, so I think you're gonna have a lot of places where you can get guys because I think a lot of the top edges are going to go earlier than a lot of people think. The guys like of course Abdul Carter is supposed to go in the top three. You have Michael Williams that continues to rise, a guy like Donovan as a rock who might be there at nineteen. But I think they're in a great spot with the guys that they have on the roster.
Speaker 1: All right, So then let's move on to another one of those You've talked about, linebacker, the inside linebacker position. So this is one that of all the positions this offseason felt the most influx of what could happen because you for a while there, I mean, we didn't know if we had a line like dang near everyone in that room was a free agent. We had no idea who was going to be coming back, what that was going to look like. Now, thank goodness, LaMonte David is back to continue anchoring that position, but then who's playing next to him and in what capacity that we saw a lot of the you know, tag team efforts last year until there were injuries that didn't allow that as much. And I know we bolded here Anthony Walker and Servasia Adnis because of course these are the guys at this point with who we have on the roster who are really competing for that starting role next to Levante. I know they think that, you know, Servasier, They're very excited about him, were excited about him last year prior to him getting hurt, So hoping that this year now coming in healthy, that you feel like maybe Levante Servasier, you're happy with that starting duo. But there's a lot unknown here. It is really great to see you have Anthony Walker now who has some experience, where last year it felt like anyone that got hurt, the person who was coming in for them was just green as green could be, didn't have a lot of experience, was having a learn on the fly. At least now you do have somebody like an Anthony Walker that has more experience. But I do feel like this is a position where, again, even if it's not for competing for the starting job this year. As much as Levante does seem like an ageless wonder, theoretically, at some point he's not going to either be here or be playing at the level he's been, which again, it doesn't seem like it's happening any times and in the way he's done it. But I do think that this is a position that both for potentially this year and then especially in years to come, could be a big one to target.
Speaker 2: Right well, And I love to the so Anthony Walker Junior is a guy that you know, is a Miami native with Levante, and they have familiarity with one another, you know, I think they've talked about wanting to play with each other for many years, and they kind of train together in the off season. So I think they have a good understanding. He already coming in has an understanding of kind of maybe some of the nuances of Levante David's game, and of course some of the speed elements or the athleticism things with him may not quite be what they were when he first started out, But I think it's the instincts that kind of sets Levante apart. But then you also have you know, Savasi Dennis that they have really liked, especially his ability in coverage kind of being an impact on third down, but also you know, his his ability in against the run as well. They've mentioned and then Anthony Walker too has kind of talked about his ability to kind of erase things over the middle of the field because that was an area that the Buckscot exposed that a little bit last year. So really they've prioritized, it seems, getting guys that have that ability in coverage to kind of mitigate some of those things over the middle of the field or the comebacks of the digs or any of those things. So maybe getting a guy in the draft that kind of has that the downhill trigger, that ability at not only maybe making an impact at rushing the pastor but also has the potential to kind of shut down the run and kind of be that minuce that they need along with Levante David and some of the passing ability things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now, okay, let's talk defensive backs because I know this, I mean, we're gonna kind of lump this all together safety and corner, but this is a group that I know you've discussed the depth of this draft at these spots, and I do think this is an area that, as we always say, as Scott Smith loves to say, you can never have enough, especially corners, but secondary members overall. So we on this graphic kind of split it up safety to corner, and I bolded the names Christianism and Tykee Smith and Bryce Hall because you know, I think that everyone saw last year your starters Jamel Dean, Zion McCollum. You were pretty happy with those starters and would most likely be that way again this year, unless again you spend maybe a first round pick on a corner and you know, how are you trying to add to that group? Does that supplant one of those guys or not? But Bryce Hall's a guy that I think a lot of times Bucks fans have forgotten about because he got hurt Week one, but he was slated to be that number three guy that would have made a really big difference with those injuries if he hadn't gotten hurt himself. Where you know, last year you're having to put in a Tyrek Funderberg who was just so green and so young. Bryce was supposed to be that next man up and he ended up getting hurt. So I think that's a very important one that he is now back this year. How healthy is he able to be so looking at that corner position? And then safety wise, this is where I think it gets even more interesting. Tykee Smith and Christian is In. Both of these guys prove that they can be sort of that Swiss army knife. I mean, Christianisi into the max playing every position now in command. But there's been mentioned of do you want to move Tykee Smith more to that starting safety spot as compared to that nickel You know, what does that do for both of these position groups of depending on if you draft a safety high or if you draft a corner high, how does that affect what you want to do with TAIKEI? How does that effect that you want to do with Christianisi in? And in general, I mean, we know Antoine Winfield hold down that one spot, but who are you putting next to him? And how does who you draft for either safety or corner affect that?
Speaker 2: I think I really like what you mentioned about kind of having taikifil that role because he primarily was the nickel guy that kind of disrupted slot receivers, kind of mitigating things in that underneath area of the field. So I feel like having him come in at strong safety be kind of in the box, and that allows Anchewan Winfield to play free safety kind of be in the post. He has that awareness, he has the range, I think that will kind of solidify things there. And then having the ability of Christianiznian, who can play multiple different things, who's cross trained at yeah, every position imaginable and then even played corner position that he hadn't played since high school.
Speaker 1: Gives you kind of the freedom.
Speaker 2: And then Bryce Hall coming off, you know, the dissocated ankle injury. But and the good thing about corner once again is you have a lot of there's great talent in guys that are expected to go in the first or on with like Will Johnson or Jade Baron or different guys. But then you also have a ton of talent in those middle rounds like Trey Amos and No Williams and Schevan Revel Junior. And there's there's a lot of talent also in those middle rounds that say the Bucks end up going insideline backer in the first round or end up going receiver whoever they have highest on their board, then that frees you up to be able to get a solid, good, good corner in the second round and then there's enough depth that you can even double it maybe in some of those later rounds that you've got a lot of guys that are really athletic, have that speed element that Todd Bowles really likes.
Speaker 1: And have those ball skills yep for sure. All Right, Well, that kind of covers the defensive side of things. We wanted to highlight going into the draft of where we're at on those different depth charts and position groups and what that might mean for the draft coming next week. We also wanted to mind everybody of the off season schedule that as wild as it is, we're talking so much about draft, but the current guys a lot of them are coming back in the building now that we have starting next week is officially the beginning of the off season program. So yeah, take us through a little bit of these dates, breed and what that's going to look like this offseason.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the first day of off season workouts is April twenty first, So OTA off season workouts is going to be May twenty seventh through thirtieth, and then June second through fifth, and then mandatory mini camp, which will be a thing I think we're all looking at all the veterans coming in mixing with the rookies will be June tenth through.
Speaker 1: Twelveth yep, So this part that's starting now next week, the twenty first. That's where you get the phase one, two and three. Those are the areas where it's like, all right, you can be working out here, but coaches can't be here. Oh now you can be doing a little bit more that That's how it progresses through that phase one, two and three. So really first phase is like a lot of conditioning is like the majority of it, not a lot of football happening. Ramps up all the way through that mandatory mini camp. But it is really exciting to think that officially next week it's starting that we're going to view that it is football. Is that even though there's going to be no football's really at least at the beginning. And then we wanted to close with our sort of human interest off the field stuff that we love to do. That wanted to highlight that the Bucks participated this last Saturday night in the National Pediatric Cancer Foundation Fashion Funds the Cure Gala. It was so fun, So basically this is a fashion show, so I got to do it alongside a few of our players cheer fear everybody. So Rayquan O'Neil, lorenz Metz were incredible at this. They crushed it. And then we were also joined by a Raised player as well, because sweet little Exavion right there, Flexen, he wants to be a professional athlete. He is currently playing both football and baseball. So what we did was everyone what this is is basically all these kids who are either currently fighting cancer or cancer survivors, they get to come to a fashion show with like real models and real cool clothes, and then they also get a chance to do a walk with what they consider their quote role models of whatever they want to do for a living someday. They walk with those people and you put on a whole skit. So I got up and got to announce that he was the buccketeers first overall draft pick this year, and then I was like, and he's also apparently the Rays first overall pick, and then the Raised guy came in put a little jersey on him for the rais and it was just so wonderful, and I wanted to shout out lorenz Metz and Rayqwan O'Neill. They were so great with him, so great with everyone at that. But yeah, just an incredible cause and amazing nights. If you've never been highly recommended going next year. It is a truly adorable event. They bring in these It was at the Motor Enclave, so they bring in all these really fancy cars. That's who drops the kids off that the car actually pulls through the event. They dropped the kids off there, the full grand experience, yes, and it's truly amazing. So I was very appreciative to be involved in that and shout out E's Avion fighting the good fight. He was a very cute little kid. So that is going to do it for us on this edition of Buccaneers Insider. Thank you so much for being with us, and we'll see you next week when it's time for the Draft.