Speaker 1: The day is a sad day for me. I really don't know the worst. I'm just so.
Speaker 2: No in search of peace and my pursuited piece. I just wanted to dictate my father thoughts about my mom because this day, June twenty fifth, at five thirty in the morning Pacific Standard time, I received a call. Then my mom transcended. She went home and be with the maker. Mm hmmm, I'm so sad. I'm just speechless. I'm not sure what to say and how to say it. I just know that this is very personal and emotional.
Speaker 3: And it hurts.
Speaker 2: I love my mom daily, and I thought that this episode, which is due today, that I should be attributed to her in her memory.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to replay.
Speaker 2: My conversation I had with my mom when I visited her a few months back that I played and I want to repeat that conversation because that was the reason why I did. It's what's for her. I have an episode on my podcast and then we have and that's something I can reminisce and go back from years on.
Speaker 1: I love my mom. She's what's the rock. She was everything.
Speaker 2: She was a gift to make sure we had a roof food close on our back.
Speaker 1: She was a strong mom.
Speaker 2: I now know I was truly blessed beyond my wildness, imagination and dreams to have such a wonderful mom. And I wanted her to know that, and I want you to know that that there are a lot of blessings in our lives, and we shouldn't wait until they had lost to tell them. I was grateful and thankful that I was able to spend time during the celebration of life party we hosted a few weeks ago, and just to tell my mom the gratefulness and thankfulness and the joy and the happiness and the wonderful times and memories that we all shared, and the laughs and the dinners and the movies and the walks and the vacations where we went as family and embraced each other and had such a wonderful time. All of these memories are just surfacing. I find solace in peace by thinking about those memories, because that's all I have now besides myself and her legacy of my siblings and our grandchildren.
Speaker 1: The next generation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Almighty God, for your blessings and forgiving me such a strong mother, a tough cookie as we call her, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful.
Speaker 2: I'm thankful. I'm blessed to have spent that kind of quality time because so many people don't have that. So I'm just grateful for what I have, and not what I have, but grateful for what I have what I was given, And I was given.
Speaker 1: A mother.
Speaker 2: Who loved me, who will give her a life for me, who devoted her sacrifice to make sure.
Speaker 1: That we were good. So I just want to.
Speaker 2: Play my interview I have with my mom for this episode, because this episode is a tribute to my mother, Carolyn, Sweet Hunter, I love you.
Speaker 1: This is a start.
Speaker 2: I'm about to interview my mom from a podcast, Malik's Bookshelf bringing a World together with books, culture and community. Now I hadn't done about sixty one episode, but this time I'm gonna interview my mom.
Speaker 1: So this is history. This is I'm sitting right by.
Speaker 2: I flew all the way to Washington, DC spend some time with her, and I just said, you know what, I haven't done an interview with my mom. So I'm sit in here and I'm gonna have a conversation about my mom, who's the matriarch and the foundation of our family, and how you doing mom want praise the Lord. Hello, Well, I'm just excited about our interview. You know, I didn't interview with the kids, I didn't interview my wife. Now I get a chance to interview you. Now say hi to my audience at Malik's bookshelf.
Speaker 4: Hello, Malik, audience at Malik's book I'm so glad to be here today because yesterday I was very sick and every day it's a new day. Morning by morning, new mercies up here. So I'm glad to be able to sit up and have this interview with my son. That's Sudden number one.
Speaker 1: Son number one.
Speaker 2: Yes, this interview is very important for me because you know, none of us promised tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You know, we give thanks for every day, and.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to spend as much time and much you know, I flew all the way out hed been out here about three times in the last six months, and I'm trying to spend as much time while we're going through this, you know, this bottle, and were praying for a miracle. And today you know, you're feeling good, You're feeling vibrant, and so this interview is gonna be historic because you know it's something I'm gonna personally cherish for the rest of my life simply because I'm sharing a little bit of you with Malik's books shelf audience one. So just you know, so my audience can know a little bit about you. Can you introduce yourself.
Speaker 1: Some of the.
Speaker 2: Things, some of the accomplishments of some of the highlights of your life.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm going to say that the greatest part of my life is being born in this world by my mother, Crusader Pray Scott, who has instilled so much of her and her wisdom into me throughout the years. Sometimes she thought I wasn't listening, but I was, and she was had a deep, deep spiritual insight, and she shared so many things with me that it is a part of my life today, you know, a part of my life.
Speaker 1: Today, major influence. Right.
Speaker 4: You don't let nobody be better to you than you out of them. I mean those other things that she used to say. So when a person is nice and kind and good to you, you don't forget those things. You should remember them also, So things like that, it just becomes a part of your life.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, I know personally that Grandma and Scott had a major influence on your life. Sure, entrepreneur, Yes, you're an entrepreneur. And to go get it a broker. You know, so real estate, had a daycare, had a used to sell you know, food at events and things like that.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a will, there's a way. Gotta have one and one iron in the fight.
Speaker 1: Yes, so one slowed.
Speaker 4: Down and doesn't work your work on the other one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know.
Speaker 2: I tell people all the time now that my grandmother influenced my mother. And they were self employed, they were entrepreneurs, and it influenced me, you know. And where you get this spear, I said, I got it from them. They passed it on to me. They passed it on to me. I had strong black women in my life, and you know, and and I think that, you know, I'm so happy I can acknowledge that, you know, I'm happy that I understand and aware of that.
Speaker 1: And and you know.
Speaker 2: I personally, you know, you know, thank God, and I thank you for being a major significant part of you know, with the things that I'm doing today as a book and being not fearful of being self employed and being.
Speaker 1: An entrepreneur because you know, you know.
Speaker 2: I know Grandma would always talk about that having that W two, having that W two working for somebody, but some of us not.
Speaker 1: Made for that.
Speaker 2: She pushed us, She pushed you, You push me, and I'm pushing the next generation to be you know, the next generation of self employed entrepreneurs do for self?
Speaker 1: What have you?
Speaker 4: And so no one can pay you for what you are worth. So when you find out where you need to be in life and what you're put here on this planet for, and it's instilled in you because we all, we all have have gifts and talents, but sometimes you don't know where yours line. You don't no what you need to be doing and what will bring the best out of you. So you have to seek that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you have to seek that.
Speaker 4: And when you find that, who you found your purpose. That's called your purpose. And when you find out what your purpose in life is, then that can help you to go on the bigger and better things, which no matter how much you work for somebody else, it'll never take you to that level.
Speaker 1: Amen. That's real talk, then, is that?
Speaker 2: Because we've asked me if something similar to that, they say, hey, you know, they say.
Speaker 1: You know? Do you do? You sometimes feel? You know?
Speaker 2: But not having a stable income, and by working for somebody else, you know, how do you get through those rough times? And do you feel sometimes that, uh, you know, there's fears set in.
Speaker 1: When you when you know, hit those hard times because you're working for yourself.
Speaker 2: I said, you're gonna go through that with any job or any or any profession. They're gonna be highs and they're gonna be low. But the one thing that I know about being self employed, I know that payday could be every day, and I know that that, like.
Speaker 1: You said, no one could pay you for your work.
Speaker 2: And so I'd rather work for myself than work for somebody else because you know, I'm my own boss and I'd rather give orders and take orders. So so I love being self employed.
Speaker 1: I love it. And so we talked about you know, you.
Speaker 2: Mentioned Grandma Scott being a source and a pillar strength in your life and guidance and influence. Now, who's some of your role models? Other role models in your life?
Speaker 4: I'm saying because the only other role models is the Word of God. In my life is the Holy Bible to read and understand and to know, and that shows me road. But as far as I mean, I know that Michelle Obama and all those people are great, and Oprah winfriend, all those people, but necessarily, spiritually they're not where I am, and I'm not where they are. So I can look at them and appreciate their accomplishments. But yet, and still I have a different mindset about a lot of things. Yes, that they would look at it one way and I look at it at another. So I really don't have a person that I can say, oh, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: So what's some of your memorable moments in life.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of them. Well just give us three to stand out the most.
Speaker 4: The time I was sleeping in the bed and my girlfriend called me up and said, come on, come on, go out for a ride. And I said, I'm into bed, sleep. She said home, put some clothes on, come on, let's go out for a ride. Say, my friend had got a brand new car, and we're gonna ride down Haynes's Point. That's down by the Patna River, down by the Monument and and and the Lincoln Memorial and all that that's called Haines's Point. Yeah. So I said, okay, it was a nice summer evening and I'm gonna get up out of my bed, put on me some clothes, and I'm gonna go riding. Well, sometimes you need to stay where you are. And sometimes if you had to really sort the wisdom of God before you made that move, you would have stayed where you were. But I said, oh, what's wrong with her? I'll get up and I'll go for the ride. So I got up, put some clothes on and went for a ride there on Hayes's Point. And her friend, her name was Annie, and her friend with the brand new car, decided he wanted to test it out and see how fast it could go down to Hayes Point in the middle of the night. Nobody wasn't there. You ain't see a foe but us. So he put the metal. He put the medal to the pedal, and shoot and then and and and and and and then heet the pedal to the metal.
Speaker 1: That's what he did.
Speaker 4: And then the car went out of control. And then he was going and he couldn't take control of the car was going. And all there I can holler was all Jesus help me. Next thing I know, I said, Lord, don't let the car go in the water, because I can't swim. I can't swim who the car hit the tree, Well, it was better to hit the tree. Then he hit the water. Nobody really didn't get hurt, nobody got killed. I crawled out the back I was in the back seat. I crowd out, crowd out the car, and I could kiss the bell, say thank you Lord. You didn't go into the water.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Going to the water and a car can't even be Oh, Lordjesus, I felt Lord. We had no phones, we had no cell phones. We were young people. Wasn't nobody. There wasn't nobody we could call. Wow, and we start walking. That memorable We start walking. But that's something.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget, and you should.
Speaker 4: Wow because that was again God had heard my crime. He saved me from disaster. Absolutely, and I had two babies at that time.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 4: Son number one and daughter number one.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, me and Ladonia.
Speaker 4: Yes, wow, So what would happened I come back? I never come back home. They wouldn't have had no mother. Oh wow, they wouldn't have had a mother. But God let me walk away from that, and I thank him today. I don't forget. Lord, see some things that like you shouldn't forget. Well, you know how you didn't character and brought you through.
Speaker 1: So that's that's really.
Speaker 2: I never heard of this story, and if you shared it, I never remember, but I think I would have remembered something like that, because anything where you almost lose your mother, you'll never forget that, you know, I never knew. I appreciate you sharing that story. Ever knew that experience.
Speaker 4: Called me up and I'm into ben sleep. I said, see you later.
Speaker 1: Wow, that man, that's a that's a deep story. That is, you know, very heartfelt.
Speaker 2: You know to hear that, I mean, just you telling it, I could feel your spirit and you choking up and.
Speaker 1: Your eyes getting watery.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, because so much time has passed since then. There's so many beautiful memories have happened since then.
Speaker 4: You've never right, you was about two or three, and you might have been it be one or two, so y'all were babies. Yeah, I'd have left my babies.
Speaker 1: And now I'm fifty nine.
Speaker 2: So look at how many years and how many memories, memorable memories have happened since then, and all that could have been wiped away if it wasn't for the grace of God.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now moving to something else, I guess you know that was a remember event, tell us something that.
Speaker 1: If you had to do over, you would do over.
Speaker 4: Well, I got one for that one to do over. I would have worked really, really hard to keep my teeth because back then in the day, they didn't have dentistry and things like they have today. So every time you well, I had soft teeth. I lose a lot of calcium when I had my children. But the only thing that the doctor knew most of the time was put a filling in or pull it out. So the teeth. When you lose your teeth, you lose bone because your bones shrink. When you lose your teeth. When the bone shrink, then your jaw line and your facial features change. They're not the same because your bones have changed. So I learned the hard way. I learned the hard way. First I was told the just let them take one two folk because they were gonna fix it. I had a gap, and I hated the gap that was in my mouth because they always said when you have a gap, that means you're a liar, and I did not want to be classified as a liar. So I said, I don't want this gap. I want my teeth to be together them. Well, they got ways of putting your teeth together now without taking one out and doing something else. So I let him take the toothfoul. He shaved the other one down, took one out, and then there was a gap. Then he made a cap to go over top of him, and in time where he shaved the tooth down, and other things that just went sound, that didn't work, and at time they went bad. So that meant that I was missing teeth temporary. I was missing teeth in front of my mouth, which meant that I had to go not just get what he had planted in there, put in their paste, it in there, glued in there. I had to go and get a partial denture at a young age. And from then it when to other teeth being missing, having children, losing calcium, losing teeth, and eventually I ended up with three teeth, one, two, three. I said, I'm gonna keep these three. But a lot of happens over the years. Like I said, I'm old school. I'm seventy seven going on seventy eight. That was a long time ago and things are not like that. So I tell the world right there today, whatever you can do to keep your teeth.
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 4: Wow, Because it's a part of your health, it's a part of your strength, it's a part of your looks. Keith, your keith, whatever you do. That's my advice to the young people.
Speaker 2: That's some good advice because you know, I think that you know, it's important for the elders to pass on to the youth, you know, anything that they can encourage and inspire them. Hey, yours is like you said, keep your teeth, you know, put your teeth out.
Speaker 4: Back to day, my mama didn't have no teeth. I think she ended up with one.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, yes, yeah, my aunt.
Speaker 4: You know, she was older then my mama. She ain't had no teeth. That's what they did.
Speaker 1: That's what they did. That's what they did back I guess you.
Speaker 2: Could say they ruined a lot of people's frowns, crowns or whatever.
Speaker 1: You Yeah, you know, a smile, it's contagious.
Speaker 2: And who doesn't like to smile showing their beautiful teeth? You know.
Speaker 1: So, But that's a good advice you just gave. Let me ask you this, then, what are you grateful for.
Speaker 4: I'm grateful to be alive. I'm grateful that God have let me live to see seventy seven years and in May, on May seventeen, if I'm still here, I'll be seventy eight. So that's not long now, that's only like two months away. Yes, right, So I'm grateful that God has let me live through all my sickness and everything that I have endured during this past year because I only got sick one year ago. One year one year, and from one year, I've been back and forth to the hospital so many times. I've had so many needles. I've had so much over and over again of tubs down your throat and different procedures done over and over again. But God's been good. And the doctors they be amazed because they come and they push on my side and stuff, and they said do you hurt, And I said, no, I don't hurt. So I'm thankful. That's what I'm thankful for. The God has still giving me life to be able to still enjoy my family. They all three just had birthdays March the fourth March that was maliek Yes, March the ninth, that was my youngest son, Darius, son number two, and then Loddonia doing the number one, whose birthday was May tenth.
Speaker 1: March tenth.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry March tenth, so all three were more than March yes, March fourth, March ninth, and March tenth.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm so glad that I was able that they were all here, and that's been a many of years, and they all have been together on their birthdays, so they were able to come together and sell a ship one with another, and I'm just thankful for that.
Speaker 2: And we recognize you as you know, because it's really you know, your birthday as well, because you gave birth to all of us. So we was giving honor and giving you your flowers.
Speaker 4: And indeed I got lots of flowers to be loose card because.
Speaker 1: I'm to Mama, that's right.
Speaker 2: So and we want to get honor, you know, right now every day we have a chance. And let me just say this about let me say this about you, know you going through these challenges the last year, these ailments, and how strong you've been, how vigilant, how strong your will has been. I mean, you, man, you showed me another side because I see you as a fighter. I don't necessarily know if I ever knew you as a fighter like this. I mean, you're fighting for your life every day every day and I see you holding on and you know, and you're shaking off whatever it is people giving up, but you ain't gave up on yourself.
Speaker 5: No, No, my hands in God mans and I say, I trust up and I'm just believing and trusting and I just thank them for every day.
Speaker 4: Every day and new day morning by morning, new merchants, new merchants. Yes, so thank you.
Speaker 1: You're a fighter. You'll fire.
Speaker 2: What would you like to say to your children? Take this time, you know, to think about what you was, what you want to say to your children if this was your last day?
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, since I'm doing my own obituary, you learned then, hm.
Speaker 2: That'll be my truche. You know, Ladonia, she mentioned that the other day, you know, Mama writing her own bit worry. I said, well, that's customary when you know that you're putting things in order in case God call you home. Preparing for tomorrow is a necessary thing that we have to do. We all know that life is only a term and we don't know the time nor to day when we're called back to home.
Speaker 1: But we give thanks east and every day day. But you know, you living life, it's to the fullest.
Speaker 2: You know, you got a list of things you're trying to do, and you know you're not looking to you know, right now, to leave. That's when that's in God's hands. That's when he wanted to call you. But you fighting every day and I see it, witnessing it every day I'm talking to you. I come home and I see the fight in you, you know, and it gives me strength And I hope I.
Speaker 1: Can be as strong as you.
Speaker 2: When you know, I get in a situation where life is, you know, in the balance, I pray that God will allow me to have that kind of strength.
Speaker 1: Man, because a lot of people give up. You ain't gave up. You're a fighter now, a fighter cookie. You have any regrets in life? Any regrets in life?
Speaker 4: I tell you about mother that would get out.
Speaker 2: You regret the teeth, that's that's regrets about in.
Speaker 4: The bed, going on the ride.
Speaker 1: I guess you. I guess I get right. That can compass comas uh that as well. But like.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, if you live long enough, you know, you get wiser and you learn things about yourself that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So what have you discovered about yourself? Uh? These last few years?
Speaker 6: I don't think God puts no more on you than you can bear. I think sometimes things come into your life that might not be to your liking. But the most important thing is is to not look at yourself for the answers, but ask for the will of God, because.
Speaker 4: God is all knowing. You might think you know, you might think you have the right answer. For instance, you might think you in love. You might think you got the perfect man. You might and then one day you find out that that man is out there cheating on you, and then you know, what do you do at that point? Do you seek God for wisdom, for the point to have some type of a deeper understanding, or say that's it, but God knows. Maybe you might say or pray, oh send him back, I want him back, don't let him go no where. But he might not be what God got for you. So if you pray the Gods will be done in a situation, no matter how you feel about it, that God's will be done. And if you ask God's will be done, then trust it. Whatever it is might not be what you want, but later on you will see God's will with the best thing for me. Whatever happened that what you thought you were looking at, or how you felt it was a fleeting moment or just an illusion, and God got When God give you something, he got something better for you. Trust him, trust him. What's rightfully yours is never lost. And if that person's gonna be there for you, it's gonna be there for you. So don't trust how you feel. Ask God's will to be done for it, and they'll never come out wrong. I thought, I thought, I thought that. I mean, I didn't think. I knew that I wanted this job, and I knew there was not many people qualified for this job. And because of my experience in the real estate market because us I had already finished working a complex that was a condos and I knew, you know, about selling the condos, that I was the.
Speaker 1: Most qualified qualified for the job.
Speaker 4: And that's how I felt about it. Brand new project, brand new job from the ground up. So they started interviewing people for the job, and so I went in for the interview, and I was assured that they're gonna pick me. I got the experience, I got the qualifications, you know. And when it finally they were supposed to let you know the next day, and I never heard from nobody. So I decided, oh, I'm a ride up to my office and find out what's happening. So I go up to my office and people running up to me. Did you hear? Did you hear? I'm like, no, I didn't hear. Oh so and so and so and so got the job. They're gonna be partners and a team and they gonna work the job. I said, Oh, that is so nice. My heart didn't feel that way, but I said it. I said it. I said, oh, that's so nice. So I knew I couldn't stay in there very long because I just couldn't take it to hear that they didn't partner up to of the other people that was in the interview as a team, and I wasn't chosen. So I still had to have a smile on my face because everybody expect me to have a smile on my face because that's my personality, that's part of my spirit. Yes, and so they were expecting it, and I know it couldn't stay. I couldn't keep that smile very long. So I said, okay, but I'm gonna see y'all later, and I hurried up and ran out the building, went down to my car, and.
Speaker 1: Boohoo, disappointment.
Speaker 4: Lord, I prayed, I asked you for this job. I was the most qualified for this job.
Speaker 1: They had to pay them two people just to equal you.
Speaker 4: So I went home, I got out. I felt low. So I got out the car and I went down to the basement, to the lowest part of the house. And not only did I go to the lord's part of the house, I went to the back of it where my back was up against the wall. And I was like having a pity party. Lord, so and so so and so. Lord reminded me, you asked that my will be done in my prayer, and I always do. I said, Lord, let your will be done. We hadn't still when as will were done, did I accept that? No, didn't come my way, my way, no way at all. That's what I wanted. That wasn't the will of God. So finally my husband came home and he saw me back in the back, came down there, and I didn't want to talk to nobody. I didn't want to talk to him. I didn't want to do nothing. I was just pity partying and crying and telling them, oh, now I was having a pretty party. And he went and he put this. At that time, there was.
Speaker 1: A tape. Cassette tapes, Yeah, cassette tape. I don't think it was h rap.
Speaker 4: Maybe not these little little tapes that you put cat.
Speaker 1: Then we moved to the see yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Then he put the little tape in, and the tape was a preaching ceremony about walking on the water. And what that preacher was saying is that I don't care. Keep your eye focus on Jesus. Don't you look to the left, don't you look to the right, You focus, keep your eyes straight on Jesus, because then you ain't gonna seek. Just look at him, keep on, keep on him. Don't look at the noise, don't even get it, don't let it bother you. Look at Jesus. Get up, walk, get up. I didn't want to get up and walk, but I found myself getting up and I was walking. I was walking, and the more I walked, I felt myself being released from burden that was on me and how I felt. Then you asked me to let my will be done now trust me, and I got up and I was able. I didn't want to talk to my mama, and my mama is my acebott cool buddy, my prayer. But now I didn't want to talk to nobody. But I found myself coming up, coming up, coming up, at my lowest point, taking my back from against that walk get up, walking out of it. I said, yes, Lord, I'm gonna look at you, and I asked that you will be done, and I tresh you and I believe in you, so I let it go. Months went by, the team was down there working months and months no money, months and months and months no money. I was still making money. They wasn't making no money because construction wasn't going like it was supposed to, and they had settled on nothing, and they wasn't getting no money. Now, the company had a policy that they give you a little something called a draw, but they had went so long without no money. The draw period it read out, and the same young lady that they hired to run the project, the snatch man was coming to get her car.
Speaker 1: Repo man was coming.
Speaker 4: And I found compassion in my heart because she she might have been a little behind, but she wasn't that far by. But she was down on zero. But I found compassion in my heart to give her money. I couldn't give him no money. If I was on the project, I'd have been just like she was working with nothing coming in and God.
Speaker 1: Showed me he no compassion.
Speaker 4: He's all knowing. He knows what tomorrow bring. You don't trust them. He know those cases wasn't gonna settle. He knew all of that. And then the very partner that she had turned the builder against her and took the building and with somewhere else. Now, that was a bad situation, but I wasn't a part of it because God heard me when I said, let your will be done. So what I'm getting today to tell you people is that trust have been believable. If you ask for us will to be done, then what it happens, And it's not like you wanted to happen. Have trust, believe because later on your seat, he ain't gonna failure, he ain't gonna leave you, or he ain't gonna failure. And even though you can't see it at that moment.
Speaker 1: You will.
Speaker 4: You will.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was a lesson for everyone that had so much hidden on the surface.
Speaker 1: That was wonderful advice.
Speaker 2: You know, as you was telling the whole story, you know, it just made me think about times in my life when I didn't get what I desired and I asked God or something happened too, and I had a gift that he blessed me with and.
Speaker 1: That gift was taken away.
Speaker 2: And how and how I felt and how you know, just how like you said, going in the corner and crying and feeling a certain way and hurt, and how I felt you was making me remember all the many incidents, you know, but certain things particularly, you know, because they're relevant and present. You know, you made me think about all of those things as you was telling that wonderful story, because sometimes you know, we don't we don't understand, and we don't we're not fortune tell us, and we don't know what tomorrow brings. You didn't know that that situation was going to and you know you were upset at the moment you didn't get the job, but down the line they would have bankrupt you. So God spared you from taking the job because you know, if you've done that, you would have been financially strained. And sometimes things happen in life, and we don't know what brings tomorrow, and I you know, I can relate to that because you know, I spent many hours, many days, you know, whimping and crying and moaning about certain things and only to find out you know, later on in time, because time subtle all arguments. So in time, I got to know the truth of a situation because that's the only thing that can really bring a true healing this time and I found out, you know, in time that.
Speaker 1: Why did I even get upset in the beginning, Because the time went find I said, whoa God is the best knowing?
Speaker 2: It's a reason why he did that, because if I had walked down that road, I might not be standing here today. Or if I had, you know, made that decision to do this, then I might not have the house I have now.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, but that's you know, I tell you so I can relate.
Speaker 7: Holy And I mean I was some great advice in the story you told for Malice books audience, I know they can relate, and if they can't, they will later on, will.
Speaker 2: Later on, because if nothing else, life is going to be your best teacher. But trust in God because we don't know all things. We you know, we worry about the things that we cannot control, and we have to strengthen ourselves not to worry about the things that we control. And when we don't get what we desire, doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
Speaker 1: It's just wasn't meant for you.
Speaker 2: Because what it was meant for you, whatever God gave you, you know it's meant for you.
Speaker 1: And if you don't have say it again.
Speaker 4: I said, what God gives you and it is meant for you, is never lost. What's yours, It's yours on purpose?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And so that I think that that, you know, it's a good way to end this wonderful conversation. I have one more question, and and that is, if you had the sum you up.
Speaker 1: In one word, what would it be to find yourself in one word?
Speaker 4: In one word? In one word, I'm gonna go. My Mama's rout.
Speaker 1: Love love, and not as much love.
Speaker 4: Be a person of love, be a love, is it, love, curious everything, Love, Love your fellow man, love one another, love yourself, Hello, Love.
Speaker 2: I think that you've been a testament of love. And I don't say that just because I'm your son. I say that because I've witnessed you over the years evolving into that. We don't always start out that way, but we grow into what we become. And you know, your life has been a testament of giving and of love and I bear witness to that. So that's a great way to define you. Love and I love you, Mama.
Speaker 4: I love you too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hope mart is enjoy that. I know I did.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you coming and giving me an interview.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 8: This is Malik's farewell letter to his mom. As you begin your journey home to the creator of all life, Allah, remember these words.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 8: Thank you for being a loving mom. Thank you for being a caring mom. Thank you for being a great mom. Thank you for being a radiant life.
Speaker 3: Mom. Thank you for providing a loving home.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 3: Thank you providing food and shelter. Mom. Thank you for giving me life. Mom. Thank you for all your prayers. Mom. Thank you for all your wisdom.
Speaker 8: Mom.
Speaker 3: Thank you for all your courage. Mom. Thank you for your inspiration. Mom. Thank you for your guidance. Mom. Thank you for your trust.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your leadership.
Speaker 5: Mom.
Speaker 3: Thank you for leading me to God. Mom. Thank you for teaching me about God.
Speaker 5: Mom.
Speaker 3: Thank you for giving me your best mom. Thank you for loving me. Mom. Mom, your special mom. You're magnificent.
Speaker 8: Mom.
Speaker 3: You're strong, Mom, You're amazing.
Speaker 4: Mom.
Speaker 8: You're godly Mom. You're wonderful mom. You're beautiful mom. You're great mom. You're worthy mom. You're radiant mom, Your love mom. You're incredible mom, Your hope mom, your courage mom.
Speaker 3: You're extraordinary mom. You're mighty mom. You're heroic.
Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 8: You're selfless mom. You're giving mom. You're compassionate mom. You're epic mom. You're a tough cookie mom. You're a sacred woman.
Speaker 9: Thanks for listening to Malak's bookshelf with topics. On the shelf are books, culture, and community. Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my instagram at Leak Books.
Speaker 1: See you next time.