Speaker 1: Now Really.
Speaker 2: Really No Really, Hello, and welcome to Really No Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who remind you that this is the authentic Really No Really, and the only way to not be scammed by chief imitations is for you to subscribe.
Speaker 3: Don't do it for us, do it for yourself.
Speaker 2: And speaking of chief imitations, today's episode is all about how the brilliance of the legendary iconic comedian George Carlin was recently resurrected from the grave by an unauthorized.
Speaker 3: AI generated copy Really No Really.
Speaker 2: His daughter Kelly Carlin joins us to discuss why she's suing the creators, the ethical and legal issues, and whether content created by artificial intelligence can tarnish a lifetime.
Speaker 3: Of work and the legacy.
Speaker 2: Plus, we'll share rare and exclusive archival audio of an interview Peter did with the real George Carlin that you will surely enjoy. And now here's the real old Jason and Peter, let me tell you.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm I'm very excited about this. This what we're going to talk about today for a number of reasons. One is the subject of our conversation is someone who you and I both revered as oh my gosh, as one of the most brilliant minds period stop. One of the most brilliant comedic minds. George Carlin, to me, what was so amazing about his career not only was what he chose to speak about, what he chose to examine, the ways in which he did it. But I have always found comedy is like of a moment. You know, guys who were funny, their thing was so great ten years ago, and they're doing the same thing now and it doesn't work the same way. George Carlin, that career spanned decades, and it was always top of the game, always.
Speaker 5: Which is why, which is why, if I may say, yeah, when this subject came up, I got angry, I really got angry. Yeah, because I got I was blessed to know George for a run of time, and I saw how structured is comedy was, how hard he worked on it. And I want to include Kelly's Here is his daughter, Kelly Collins. I want to bring you in to the conversation.
Speaker 4: But Kelly, welcome, by the way, Kelly, thank you, Kelly, thank you.
Speaker 5: But you're the reason I got upset and wanted you in right away. Was because your dad. There's an interview I did with Georgian ninety six and you get to hear how that even just hanging just in conversation because it's pretty casual, and where he goes, and what pissed me off about this? To this, this studio put out, this podcast, put out put out an AI and AI special with your dad. Even with all the disclaimers, one of the disclaimers was to those under twenty, I'm the only f in George Carlin. This is part of his legacy. This is part of how he's going to be remembered. If somebody listens to it, you can't. It's like unseeing an accident. You can't unhear this.
Speaker 4: It's wedged its way into the lego yes, yes, story.
Speaker 5: So if it piss me off, if it pissed me off that this has some reference to his life, then it must have pissed Kelly off. So I wanted to get her on right away because I can't. And it's funny. I was talking to Howie and I don't think he's gonna mind. Howie Mandela and he said I wouldn't mind if they did something because the legacy lives. And I said, but Howie, this is a guy I watched him work. He would take a joke and rewrite it and remove it and time well for two years for an HBO specially.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's one thing.
Speaker 7: If you have a vote in it, and you say, when I'm dead, go ahead and feed all of my material into some computer that may be around in fifteen years that could possibly replicate my genius. If you vote for that, then you vote for that, And that's great permission. But this is my dad didn't get a vote in this. And like you said, this is a man who used his human life, his human experience, his human heart, his human brain to concoct and create and shape and shave and mold in things that blew our minds. Every decade, like you were saying, yes, like he was always evolving into the next version of himself. And the thing was, was that what he said to us thirty twenty five, twenty five years before he died.
Speaker 6: Are a still relevant.
Speaker 7: That's why these people did this because everyone wants to know what George Carlin's going to say.
Speaker 6: And I always say to them, well, if you had been listening, he already said it. The problem is we weren't paying attention. We were going, isn't he clever and smart?
Speaker 7: So he warned us, He let us know where it's all going, what's happening with it? And you know, so there's this thing about the genius of humans, human lives, the thing that happens how humans take in experiences and use this amazing brain that we have to observe and share and communicate. And the thing about stand up is that it's I can't even think of a more I mean, that's like live theater too, a more human experience of an exchange between a performer and an audience member. You know, every night, whether you're an actor or a comedian, you come out on stage, there's a different energy in the room. There's a different laugh at that joke that usually sometimes it gets a big one. Sometimes it's total silence. There listening to a listening crowd. Tonight it's a laughing crowd. That's the magic of this art form, you know. And the fact that the whole thing is this canned audio experience, with this canned audience laughing.
Speaker 4: It's just, frankly, it's not the most astonishing imitation. It's a very limited.
Speaker 6: Now, I don't know if you know or not.
Speaker 7: There was a New York Times article two days ago. They did interview the representative of Will saying that the writing was done by the other podcaster.
Speaker 8: They say, ye so so additionally, so material was written by a human. It reflects well so except that their podcast thesis is they both fed into AI all of their information.
Speaker 9: It's all a lot so that so that the AI would do it.
Speaker 6: That was of their podcast. I believe it is a lie.
Speaker 9: Okay. I was going to ask.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask, this is what we'll do in discovery because.
Speaker 9: I'm cynical about stuff.
Speaker 5: The first thing I thought is maybe there, which was why I was friendly you dead? What is the cause for doing this? Is it for controversy? And they can reveal we wanted to be part of the conversation and we agree with you that this shouldn't be done. And this was the the we wanted to make the noise that people could see. The potential damage was that I want to.
Speaker 10: Put it out there. We want to make a buck book.
Speaker 6: These are great questions. We shall more shall be revealed.
Speaker 4: As they say, if a living human being impressionist that does a great impression of your dad, we're to do the exact same thing. Would you feel any different?
Speaker 7: No, we would shut him down. You would shut him down. We're known for shutting people down George Carlin, like Frank Zappa's family.
Speaker 6: We don't let people do a lot of George carl.
Speaker 10: For you guys. You know, it's I mean, you know, if.
Speaker 6: It feels if it if it feels.
Speaker 7: Like it's integral to my father's own ethical standards and his creative center, then we make a choice and do it.
Speaker 6: But there have been other people a lot.
Speaker 7: We get a lot of emails from people wanting to do a lot of stuff with my dad's material, and it's all sounds great, you know, like, oh, you want to do this book. That sounds fascinating. It's not going to happen. I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 7: The documentary took us as long as it did because we kept getting people coming to us and it just didn't feel like the right sure people, the right gravitas.
Speaker 6: It just didn't.
Speaker 7: It never clicked, you know, so we really were very careful. Look, his stuff's on YouTube. We let it be on YouTube. We love the fact that the social media had Not only that, but in two thousand and eight, my dad died by two thousand and nine, ten and eleven, I had people on my Facebook page from Iran, Russia, China, people learning about George Carlin, like your dad's changed my life. I'm sixteen and I'm living in Pakistan. I'm like, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: So that's a beautiful thing. Like I love that kind of organic sharing of that. But this is a different beast, this thing that happened a few Josa.
Speaker 4: One of the things that's so, I guess involves me personally in what you're doing is for me and for so many actors, writers, artists, storytellers, creators. I am existentially frightened by AI. I don't get it. I don't our union is starting to make deeper. You're talking to a lot of your friends, what.
Speaker 10: Are we doing? Yeh, guys, why are you enabling this?
Speaker 4: And they go, well, it's it's you know, it's gonna happen, it's written in the story.
Speaker 10: I go, it doesn't have to happen. So let's talk about what you're doing legally.
Speaker 4: What is there a law on the books that you're aware of that says they can't do what they did?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 11: I love the news because there's always something bad happening, and they never report anything good. I like bad news. When something is burning, I want to see it an explosion of flood people. You ever see people in these rowboats in a flood? Where do they put the robots when the water goes away?
Speaker 9: You never see a house with a rowboat in front of it.
Speaker 11: You know those people at Vesuvius that got that, they're still like scratching their knee and they're.
Speaker 9: Stuck because they got their lava fly. I love that stuff.
Speaker 11: Anything that happens that gives people a hard time, I like it. So most of it is on the news.
Speaker 9: Fortune they're always complaining about the news is just too negative. You say, make it more now, Oh why even put in a nice story? Well there's no sense.
Speaker 11: I hate that when they come out the end and they say, oh, this is cad Look a girl took a flower and put it in her hair. I don't care about that.
Speaker 9: You want to see bad naggs.
Speaker 11: I want to see the girl took a knife and put it in a friend's heart.
Speaker 9: That's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Is there a law on the books that you're aware of that says they can't do what they did well.
Speaker 7: There is a law on the books called rights of Publicity that protects people's ability to control their name and likeness. And this was done because Freda Stair's wife saw fred Astair I think it was dancing with a vacuum cleaner, and she sued and this created this president of this law. The other is the copyright issue. This is where it gets very muddy. When we filed the lawsuit, we were assuming because they had said out loud that they fed a machine all of his specials, or the machine said it I ate all of these hundreds, you know whatever. It was part of our argument for wanting to protect the copyright even of this content that was created.
Speaker 6: It's what you said a little earlier, which is that.
Speaker 7: And by the way, they did take the special down as of on Friday or Saturday. My lawyer texted me and said that the video is down. But the thing is, we don't know who downloaded it. We don't know who's going to cut it into a million little pieces, and they're not going to get the beginning part that says, oh, this is an AI impression. So a people will be introduced to George Carlin through this content, which completely waters down his legacy and his own intellectual property. Uh and then AI in the future may ingest this as a George Carlin content absolutely, which will then just.
Speaker 5: Melt, Yeah, you won't know it's in there, and then all of a sudden you're putting out prap.
Speaker 7: The genius of George Carlin was that you never knew what he was getting right. He was going to literally blow your mind as an audience member, just.
Speaker 5: So people know if they don't know, George would come and do the almost amazing heavy duty riff about something just so important and then look at me and go at which you heard. I also never go to a dentist with blood in his hair. I mean, George, you go. And I always laugh at that because it's the juxtaposition of what made him laugh, yes, and also his pacing and the palate cleansing of jokes.
Speaker 9: It's really really tough to do.
Speaker 4: I mean, they get up against the thing that I do kind of understand. So there there is a thing happening now in some venues where a performer who's no longer of us is recreated holographically, and like in the Michael Jackson Show in Vegas, they do that at the end the Abba Boring show.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 4: Go, sure, because people want to experience that thing again.
Speaker 10: But that's them.
Speaker 4: It may be holographic, but it is holograph of something they actually.
Speaker 7: It's their content and most likely their estate signs and getting paid lots of money for it, right, which is very different. So that's that's what I say about It's like they get a vote in it. My Dad's had no vote in this, and they're putting these here's another thing about my dad, because he hated people putting words in his mouth. And that's why when I woke up to the news that this thing was happening, the roar of Mama bear rage inside of me because it was like, this is the very thing that he could not stand, was people, you know, trying to pass something off as him. And you know, this is the part of the performer and the creator and the writer and all of us that you know, where the healthy ego shows up. This is like, this is me saying this, you know. And the thing about AI is, you know, it's almost like, well, what's the point of humans. I'm just going to consume your stuff and turn it into content, And what's the point of humans anymore. What's the point of having an experience or sharing an experience because we're just here to be distracted by this bullshit. You know, it's just it's an existential spiritual crisis.
Speaker 9: I really believe.
Speaker 4: This because what AI is eventually going to do is put gazillions of people out of work. AI can efficiently do a lot of the work that people that just working people do to survive.
Speaker 10: And if you taking their ability to earn a.
Speaker 4: Living, who's watching the fabulous content or buying this stuff from big business?
Speaker 9: But okay, I will play. Let me play.
Speaker 5: The people writing in right now saying these guys are morons and they don't get it.
Speaker 9: I get the day.
Speaker 5: I can be very helpful connecting people with illnesses who would never ever get to meet.
Speaker 9: Well, it already is.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's spell checks for us.
Speaker 9: It doesn't a lot yet. But by the way, that has screwed me up.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, I said, all good, and it said ask God is what I send somebody?
Speaker 1: But that's that's okay. They wouldn't do an intervention. They went, what yeah, So I will tell you what it corrected. Is one o'clock enough? Can you get there?
Speaker 3: Getting there right?
Speaker 9: Now that's our next game show. We can sell this. What did this spell to wait? CEO? Okay, we got to go to commercial.
Speaker 5: But the AI is beneficial in a lot of ways. It's going to be used an amazing ways. We got to get our act to guess, for all those people writing going you guys don't get it. We got to get our act together on some rules and regulations with this crap or it is gonna it is going to be a runaway and we're all good if there's no like you said, if there's no watermark.
Speaker 7: Yeah, really contemplating this stuff the last few weeks, and for me it really comes down to, you know, it's almost like the AI thing is just saying, you know what, It's just it is like the matrix, We're just gonna put.
Speaker 6: You in a pod.
Speaker 7: We're gonna feed you. You're gonna be a battery for this thing, and we're just gonna make a life up for you. And you know, because it's like it's like, what's the point of being?
Speaker 9: Is there is there conceivable.
Speaker 4: Specifically to the situation that they created a false performance of your thought?
Speaker 10: Right? Is there.
Speaker 4: Some benefit to society from that? Is there anything that you go, well, I can see why that that would there's a positive to it, because I have trouble finding.
Speaker 7: Well, let's see. One of the benefits could possibly be, well, uh, we need we need smart, funny people to listen to. Okay, well, we've got a lot of those, and we have a lot of recordings of those people too.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that's not going to be on my list.
Speaker 7: We need people to dumb down other people's material. Maybe yeah, it's a dumb downer, or maybe we just we really need a lot of examples of how to be a hack comic. Then you just put everyone's material, Just put all the comics material into these ais, and it'll just be the hack version of Gary Shandling, the hack version of Robin Williams, the hack version of Joan Rivers.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: The I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 7: Even impressionists lately, like remember rich Little Sure, we were all we're rich little generation. You know, it's part of the fun of seeing an impressionist, or even watching the people on SNL and all that kind of stuff is like watching a human trying to get into the skins of someone else and they'll get and you know, a good impression is will teach you about how to do an impression. It's just like you need like one or two or three little things and that creates the glow of the thing. Right, that's an art form. That's you know, that's and that's interesting. And I know that I'm watching rich little doing somebody right. You know, where is this thing there? It's a replication, it's not an impression.
Speaker 5: When I was getting ready to come to the episode, I started smiling because I thought, if this lawsuit works out in any way regulating helped to regulate the future of this, then your dad got the last laugh because he was used somehow.
Speaker 9: Yeah, to change, to change regulations, to change because of this.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about the FCC versus pacifica case. I mean, this has already happened once in his career. Accidentally, WBAI played the Seven Dirty Words you Can't Say on television on the radio, and they played it during an educational hour about the effects of First Amendment and speech.
Speaker 6: It was about language this hour.
Speaker 7: It was an educational hour on WBAI, and a professional moralist, as my dad likes to call him, was listening on purpose because he was part of those Christian people that do this kind of stuff and had his fourteen year old son with him and then acted like, eh, my.
Speaker 6: Fourteen year old son heard a bad word.
Speaker 7: And of course it went all the way up to the Supreme Court and it changed First Amendment law forever it was not obscene language. It was now called indecent and forevermore. When you went when you worked on the radio, I know you had him. There was a little sheet sheet that would tell you what the Carlin words were. They were called the Garland words and they were the seven words. So it's and my dad used to people say, oh, you were part of the Supreme Court and my day's look, it was an accident of history that I had nothing to do with the case.
Speaker 6: But he goes, I did get a.
Speaker 7: Kick knowing that the Supreme Court justices had to listen or read my material. And the whole album is in the annals of the Supreme Court, which is it's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: So this is the thing.
Speaker 7: Also, it's like, I do find it interesting that George Carlin does get to be the tip of the spirit.
Speaker 5: There was the only thing that made me feel wait a minute, George could end up the thing again again.
Speaker 7: He's the one who's pushing the envelope of of of of.
Speaker 6: Something, you know.
Speaker 5: But for him it's creativity, which is why I think there's more, much more to the story that will be revealed.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, it's not.
Speaker 5: It's not because it started out pure AI and they fetted their stuff and everything in the show's AI. Now you're hearing it's not. And how he told me this morning he knows the long guy, Will Sasso and said, yeah, I think it was written, so it's morphing into something else.
Speaker 7: We already said to the New York Times that it was written by the other guy. I think his name is Chad.
Speaker 4: You know, it would be interesting and maybe maybe we will follow up and do that because I've met Will very briefly. He seemed like a terrific guy, and he's a good actor and a funny man.
Speaker 10: And I wonder.
Speaker 4: I'd be surprised if he thought he was doing something harmful or immoral. I wonder why, I really do wonder why they took this on and chose to do this, because they had to know it would be controversial, They had to know it could be potentially it would be a legal problem for them. And I have to assume that they revered your dad. I can't imagine being a comic who wouldn't revere him. So it's it's part of why the whole technology scares me, because I think people of good character and good intent can stumble into some really horrible stuff.
Speaker 7: Well we're talking about unintended consequences here one PC. And you know, I think about remember in two thousand and eight when Facebook came and we were all like, oh, oh wow, Oh I get to see.
Speaker 6: My old high school sweetheart or whatever it is. Oh I don't.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize that my content was the product, like that my data was the thing they're going to make, like I did. Like it was like it's so it's so like, oh no, on the surface, everything's fine, and then underneath it's like all the wiring and all the stuff and all the you don't get to see the real intention and what they're doing.
Speaker 6: And I don't think also that they.
Speaker 7: Even really understood what they had unleashed. I mean clearly not. I mean I really, I mean these people, you know, we're humans. We don't know what the we're doing ever, and we're gonna and this is where Father's Daughter the arrogance comes in. For me, it's like, guys, just just because you can do something, just.
Speaker 9: Mean you should.
Speaker 5: I also wonder and would love to follow up with you if there's a generational difference, because certain age like like a cutof and I don't know what it is, forty fifty plus are like, oh my god, this is horrible. But we're the old geezers who wanted to And if the younger generation that grew up with this, this is this is part of their existence. Is like Anne that I'm not that upset.
Speaker 9: Bike.
Speaker 7: I think if you're a real George Carlin fan, and I'd say about ninety nine point nine percent of the people that have been reaching out to me, whether it's on social media or not, are outraged by this and disgusted by it. And I think, if you're a real George Carlin fan, you know that he would have not been the twenty twenty four version of him, would not be standing on a stage doing a commercial for AI, which is I understand part of this concert. He goes on and like the benefits and the greatness of AI or whatever, and I'm like, really, like what you know, my dad did a piece called Modern Man.
Speaker 6: You may be familiar with it. He sure if you really listen to it.
Speaker 12: He's not like saying this is great, He's saying this is what we've been turned into that Yeah, again, he told us everything we needed to know.
Speaker 4: Just listen, people, and you know what insying to those that younger generation goes, Yeah, I don't see the problem.
Speaker 10: I'm so frightened.
Speaker 4: For the younger generations because I know a few people in academia and one of them said to me recently, Well, at our university, the students cannot use AI to to write a paper, but we.
Speaker 10: Let them use it to outline. Michael, that's one of the most.
Speaker 9: Critical critical thinking.
Speaker 4: Right about I organize my faults out of how am I going to present this? What about I go why would why would you take this critical part of learning and thinking and being human and expressing how you see the world.
Speaker 9: Why would you take it?
Speaker 4: Even give them the opportunity to think that that's not an important part of their It's because you were born with it.
Speaker 9: It's you're used to it.
Speaker 5: You use it to corners, you use it to help write, you use it for a lot of better official stuff.
Speaker 9: You feel because you grew up with it. I mean, it's a completely.
Speaker 5: Different environment when you're born into something and it's it's what you know and you and everyone's using it for some for some reason.
Speaker 9: To help.
Speaker 7: All I know is that every time saving device that we've ever created as humans has led to basically where we are now, which is the extinction of all the biosa.
Speaker 9: That's the theory. I have one line. That's all of.
Speaker 4: Technology, all technology, of technology comes down to this, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 9: No, why don't you do it? You can do it, you do it. I don't want to do it. You do it.
Speaker 10: I don't want to do it.
Speaker 9: That's it. That's the whole headline everything in technology.
Speaker 6: So we're basically a bunch of two year olds.
Speaker 9: Yes, I don't want to do it, you do it.
Speaker 10: You do it, you do I don't want to make the food, You make the f.
Speaker 9: I don't want to do the diagnosis. You do it.
Speaker 7: I don't want to spend their thirty thousand hours becoming a stand up comedian.
Speaker 9: I don't want to know. I don't want to drive the car. Let the drive car. You do it, you do it.
Speaker 4: And not only do I not want to spend the thirty thousand hours want I don't want.
Speaker 9: To pay for it.
Speaker 10: I don't you do anything make it free?
Speaker 9: Good.
Speaker 6: So my question that is to the to the next generation.
Speaker 7: Seriously, if we're going to save all this time because you don't want to do any of this stuff, great, what are you.
Speaker 9: Going to do?
Speaker 10: Exactly?
Speaker 13: We'll figure something out. We'll figure something out. Well, that's that's exactly right. I I first of all, I love that you're pursuing. Honestly, thank you for pursuing this. I wish you the best thing.
Speaker 4: I am hopeful and fascinating about where this goes and and you know, I hope we can follow up and to find out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I also I know.
Speaker 4: You're not your dad, and I'm sure my kids the last thing they want to talk about is me. But I I would be remiss to not say you are the daughter of one of the most special people that have embraced my lifetime.
Speaker 10: I'm not. I don't think of myself as a comedian, you know.
Speaker 4: But it was clear to me from the day I put the first needle on the first George Carlon album, I went, this guy is different.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well, everybody knew that I can learn.
Speaker 10: As an actor from this man. I can learn as a writer. From this man. I can learn as a thinker from this man.
Speaker 4: I can learn as a feeling human being from this man.
Speaker 9: So he was one of the funniest angry guys I've ever met in my.
Speaker 7: Entire life, and one of the sweetest, one of the sweetest, kindest angry angry be angry because he had a broken heart humanity and he loved humanity. And that's that's what I couldn't believe it. He gave me is he gave me the gift of making sure that we all stay human and.
Speaker 9: Never go to a dentist with blood in his hair no reason.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 11: Really, the mainstream period there during the nineteen sixties was sort of a faint to the right to uh. You know, I thought I wanted to be like Danny Kay and all that from from childhood.
Speaker 9: And so I had in me.
Speaker 11: I had this this plan to become a movie actor, comedian, and somehow I forgot that I had grown up as an outlaw kid, you know, running away from home and stealing and breaking into places, getting kicked out of everything that had any degree of organization. And once they said we have some rules here as related or I either get kicked out or leave voluntarily. So so what I do is I sort of put that that kind of that that bad boy aside for a while and then finally it came back.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I mean even when you were looking like that, your humor was still there was.
Speaker 11: A Lucier bersus. Yeah, I was doing you know, Ali sleeve. The hippiew Weatherman was a pothead when in America didn't know that.
Speaker 9: They just thought he.
Speaker 10: Was sort of a paddle an addle to.
Speaker 11: Weather is now he smoked a grass.
Speaker 4: Was discussion with Kelly Carlin and uh and by the way, I got some of the cuts that I'm going to release of the interview that I did redear so they can hear.
Speaker 5: So nineteen ninety eight, it was a half now with George it was really and you've heard you heard. You heard the first four seconds and you started laughing because he's so great.
Speaker 9: Yes, so we'll put that up.
Speaker 3: Tell us more, David, You guys seem to be George Carlin.
Speaker 9: You know officionados.
Speaker 3: Well, I wanted to give you the big question.
Speaker 4: What are George Carlin's first seven dirty words.
Speaker 10: That he came up with the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 9: Wait, okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Can you go to blee them.
Speaker 9: We're gonna you bleep them. Also if you believe the word, the F word, the he the bad word for.
Speaker 4: Uh, the the male genitalia.
Speaker 10: Uh licking.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, the not your father intercourse.
Speaker 9: Right right, very good, too much more. I know.
Speaker 10: The last one is, which is now no big deal. We at the time it was I don't like it.
Speaker 5: Now we gotta because we have advertisers don't want to hear the words. We're not gonna use this at all. All right, thank you, David.
Speaker 9: And he said that was it all.
Speaker 10: George call and stuff.
Speaker 4: Wow, what was your what was your absolute favorite single if you can even think of this in the moment, like the single most brilliant routine that you think he ever did.
Speaker 5: Oh, George's so many things that he did well, but but the thing I loved one of them. What God, there's somebody about the environment about about that. We're we're uaging polyurethane and we're using styrofoaming.
Speaker 9: I'm it's going to be here, You're going to be gone. Yeah, yeah, save save it, don't do the styrofom I loved.
Speaker 4: I just loved his observations on wordplay. And then how he would use it, so it's not the first time on the planet. But when he started to do junk and stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you got to buy the house to put this.
Speaker 10: Junk out of here, so I can't my stuff.
Speaker 9: Man. You know that was the stuff on the stuff and your stuff.
Speaker 10: If someone else is junk.
Speaker 5: And you know, now I got to buy a house because I got more stuff.
Speaker 9: So I gotta put a roof on my house.
Speaker 5: Now I gotta run a place to put my stuff, right, and then I'm going to take my stuff on vacation with me, So I'm warning the car with my stuff. It really was was he would construe it down again, I'm going to release you get to hear yeah, and you see.
Speaker 4: A special football analogy, and you know it was just you know, all good comedians do it. They drilled down on something that you don't think about much. But once he once he would find that thing to drill down on.
Speaker 5: He really but he also Jay, as we talked in the episode, he would also spend a year. Yeah, well, Jerry, you said, Jerry does that to these guys who are the top of the top of the if they're the top of the top, they worked that hard to get the junker because on some level we laugh, but they go, it's still it's not there.
Speaker 4: I actually bumped into a thing we did on Seinfeld about him two or three months ago, where I had reserved a car in New York City. I'm reserved it way ahead of time, did everything you're supposed to do. I get there, they don't have many cars, They don't have the cars. I go, I have a reservation. They go, and I'm thinking of the line that we did on Sign where Jerry he's reserved a car and they don't have it, and he goes, I have a reservation. He goes, I know you have a reservation show and his line is, no, you know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to hold the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation holding. Anybody can. It happens at hotels. It happens on who books a flight with fifty.
Speaker 10: More seats than the rest on the plane.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you know you're gonna get but we know you know you're going to get some fall off.
Speaker 10: But that's your problem.
Speaker 9: When you're coming. You don't over.
Speaker 4: Book it so that if they all show up, you go we got twenty people.
Speaker 10: We yes, we sold you a ticket to this flight, and then there we are not giving it to you.
Speaker 5: And then there's the thing that Larry did to finish this off. And I don't know if he did in the bit or if he said it to us at lunch. We said, I go to RESTNT for dinner and I show up at six o'clock and the woman says, I'll get your table ready in a minute. He goes, hold on a second, it's not ready now, and she says, no, we're just clearing it. We'll be ready. He goes, I had a reservation for six o'clock. She goes, I know, I'm just clearing the table, and he goes, not like I surprise you.
Speaker 9: You know, you know I've been coming for three months, and good night.
Speaker 10: Make a reservation for really no Really next week.
Speaker 9: We'll be here. We'll be here.
Speaker 5: We'll be here, thank you, We will we will really wear that kind of people, really.
Speaker 2: Now, really, really.
Speaker 10: Now, really.
Speaker 2: As another episode of Really No Really comes to a close, you're probably curious to know some more odd facts about the legendary George Carlin. Well, I'll provide them right after. I think our guest Kelly Carlin. Kelly is just about everywhere. Her website is the Kellycarlinsite dot com. She hosts The Kelly Carlin Show on Series XM's channel at Instea. She is at Kelly Carlin is here. Her memoir at Carlin Home Companion, Growing Up with George is available everywhere, and her podcast Waking from the American Dream is available where you get your podcasts. Our Little Show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at Really No Really podcast And of course, you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing fact or story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift.
Speaker 3: Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts.
Speaker 2: Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and tick that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes.
Speaker 3: Which we do each Tuesday.
Speaker 2: So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 3: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And now here are some fun facts about George Carlin you probably didn't know George was one of only two funny kids at his summer tamp.
Speaker 3: The other was Wacky Wilson real name Dave Wilson, the.
Speaker 2: Longtime award winning direct her Saturday Night Live, of which the first guest, by the way, was George Carlan. George didn't always dream of being a comic. He hoped he'd be a full entertainer actor like his boyhood idol Danny Kaye.
Speaker 3: George kept extensive files of material.
Speaker 2: About thirteen hundred of them over forty four years, collecting thoughts, notions, and ideas for material. When George needed an angioplasty, he went right to the source, doctor Andreas Grunzig, the doctor who invented the procedure and though cenecal on stage. George was a great romantic and was married to his first wife, Brenda, for thirty seven years and nursed her through to her untimely death from liver cancer. George Carlin a good man, a great husband and father at an extraordinary comic genius. Let's agree he will never be copied.
Speaker 3: Really, no really. His production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment