Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Everybody, welcome to Are You a Charlotte? Today we are having a really interesting conversation with Timothy Gibbs. And he played the detective who comes when Carrie gets robbed on the street in episode three seventeen, What Goes Around Comes Around, which was written by Darren Starr directed by Alan Colter, and he's a fascinating guy. So please enjoy this conversation with Timothy Gibbs.
Speaker 4: How's it going?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's going great. How about you good?
Speaker 4: It's pretty good. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: We're in La and it seemed like the sky was going to fall last night, but it didn't, So we're okay.
Speaker 3: I've been I've been looking at it on the news. I'm over here in South Carolina and so what where? I'm just outside of Charleston.
Speaker 4: I love Charleston. I'm from Columbia.
Speaker 5: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do you know a little town called Ellery? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean not well, but yes, that's.
Speaker 3: That's where we are. We have our store and we have a couple of buildings here. Wow, on this little street with the one stop light.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, how adorable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet. Charleston is one of the absolute best cities. So you can just like zoop over to Charleston.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we love it.
Speaker 3: We're there a lot, and I mean that's where you go for for culture or anything because we're we're really this little community.
Speaker 5: It's tiny.
Speaker 3: I think we have now we're up to about six hundred and sixty residents.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, how amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty cool. And it's an hour.
Speaker 3: It's an hour from Columbia and it's an hour from Carleston.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: My kids love Charleston and they love the beach so much. And when we go to see Grandma and Columbia, they're.
Speaker 4: Like, are we going to the beach? We have to go to the beach, And sometimes we do. Sometimes we don't.
Speaker 5: How did you get from South Carolina to How did that happen?
Speaker 4: You know, just drive? I guess.
Speaker 2: I just I loved South Carolina. I love so many things about it. But at the same time, my parents had always taken me to New York to see theater every summer we would go, and to me, that was about the best thing that there was, right, So I was just like, I've got to get out of here and get up there. I've got to get to New York. I've got to get to New York. And then I ended up wanting to go to acting school, and I went to Rutgers because they had an MFA BFA program and you could kind of be there but also go into the city to see to see shows.
Speaker 4: You were close enough to the city.
Speaker 2: My dad taught at USC, the South Carolina USC, so he felt really strongly about college. So I went to college at Rutgers, and then I moved right to the city. I was an actress, waitress, you know, for a long time, and then I moved to LA and then I got work that took me back to New York. So it all worked out. But I do love the South and I do miss it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was I have lived every I was. Actually I did it in reverse. So I was born in Los Angeles, WO and raised there Wow. And my father was an airline pilot. Cool, and back in those days, they gave you They gave the the employee a thing called a term pass for each family member and you could kind of take it look like a little credit card with your picture on it, and you just walk up to the ticket counter and you'd say, oh, I want to go here, and they'd put you on standby and off you'd go.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 5: It was great. And I ended up traveling all over and I've lived.
Speaker 3: All over, but I had never lived in the South. So we've been here now, my wife and our two children. We've been here now for going on five years.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it so much. That's a cool story.
Speaker 5: It's been great. It's been lovely.
Speaker 3: We have an antique and fine arts store here and and I build when I I sort of retired from acting and I I started building farmhouse furniture and uh, whoa.
Speaker 5: I was doing it as sort of a.
Speaker 3: Hobby and it just kind of took off and that's, uh, that's my primary business now.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love farmhouse furniture.
Speaker 5: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm, you know, basically a Southern girl. So it's all all, it's all good, it's all good. This is very cool. I mean, I always love to catch up with people who are on our show because people are in such different places and doing such different things, which is very very interesting, you know, because acting is obviously not always like your your forever thing that you want to stay in, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know you you know as well as I do that the folks who can not only build build a career bout one with notoriety in it, and then maintain that over years and year, that's a really really difficult and special thing to be able to do. I always admire that the folks who have been able to do that.
Speaker 5: You're one of those.
Speaker 4: People, barely Okay, well you know.
Speaker 3: But it's but it's you know, I started when I was very very young, and and and.
Speaker 5: It all just sort of happened to me.
Speaker 3: I didn't really I was too young to make it happen, so it had happen.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And and I I've I've always had a good relationship with with the work and with the industry.
Speaker 5: I love it. I love the process.
Speaker 3: But I reached a point really where, you know, I think it was having children and finding the relationship I found because I had struggled in in the relationship area, and mostly at my own doing, I hadn't really become the person that I needed to be to maintain a good quality relationship that was you know, good, good for for both then and when I found that in my wife and found the kids. I really wanted to just plant myself, and we came back. We lived in Barcelona for ten years. We started at our store in Barcelona, and when then we moved it to the United States, and it kind of took off here and it made the decision for me, made it very easy.
Speaker 4: That's super interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do think also being born here is first of all, is so rare, like you almost never meet people who were born in Los Angeles, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Very rare.
Speaker 2: And also I don't know how old you were when you started acting, but I can only imagine how kind of odd that is to be in it as a young person.
Speaker 5: You know, I was eleven when it happened. I can tell you.
Speaker 3: I was playing Pop Warner Football, which was little league football. And my coach was a commercial director and he with great guys and coach coach Blaine, Colin Blaine, and he went to my parents during the Actors strike of nineteen.
Speaker 5: Seven, the Eighth Wow, and he said.
Speaker 3: I can't hire a union actor during the strike, but your son is perfect for this commercial I'm shooting.
Speaker 5: And it was for gear Deli chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 5: So he goes, he goes to my dad.
Speaker 3: And he goes and my dad was coaching another team and he goes, will your son, do you think you think Tim would would want to eat chocolate chip cookies in a commercial for me? And my dad said, well, given how he eats them at home, I would imagine yes, but you know, go ask him. So he asked me, and of course I said yes. I ended up in San Francisco shooting this commercial, and long story short.
Speaker 5: That puts you into the union, right. You go through this, it's like a catch twenty two.
Speaker 3: You can't work if you're not in the union, but you can't get in the union if you haven't worked, And a strike offers that opportunity right to make that magic trick work.
Speaker 5: And that's what happened to me.
Speaker 3: And the next thing I knew, I was auditioning for Michael landon Wow or the spin off of Little House in the Prairie, Cold Father Murphy. It was on NBC for a few years, and I got that role and it changed everything.
Speaker 2: Amazing. But yet you seem very grounded and whole. You know, was there something that you did to get through being a child actor that helped you.
Speaker 3: You know, I wasn't always grounded, and I wasn't always whole. Okay, I've had First of all, i'm the youngest of five kids, and they've all played a role in one way or another of whole you know, grounding me at a different time, certainly when I was a younger, when I was a child actor and had more notoriety, and I sort of went from one series to another at that time.
Speaker 5: For a few years, I was too young to be to struggle with.
Speaker 3: Some of those social things that you struggle with when you get older, and so I had that family around me.
Speaker 5: It was so easy. You know.
Speaker 3: My parents were really involved and they had us going from one thing to another. They didn't take an eye office too much. So a lot of that stuff that happened to kids and child actors didn't happen to me.
Speaker 5: I was very, very fortunate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh gosh, good for them.
Speaker 3: But later, you know, I've I've I had my own fair share of struggles, and much of it was just self imposed, getting wrapped up in you know, maybe too much drinking or maybe drugs, stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, there's so much of it.
Speaker 3: You know, and I definitely had my fair share of years in there where I was putting more emphasis on going out and getting into trouble than I was on really anything else, And so that's not good. You're not really forming great relationships in that. And it wasn't until much later. I'm now almost sixty, but I've Patry and I have been married now for almost fifteen years, and it was when I met her that everything started to kind.
Speaker 5: Of come U.
Speaker 4: That's so nice.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Help me put Sex.
Speaker 2: And City in the middle of this, Like, where were you in your career when you ended up being our incredibly good looking detective.
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: That was a big year for me. I was on a daytime soap opera at the time, on One Life to Live, and I think I had just come off of just gotten an Emmy Daytime Emmy nomination, and that was a big deal for me, of course, and then I got this role.
Speaker 5: I went in and an audition for Alan the.
Speaker 3: Director, and he just makes a decision sort of on the spot, very quickly.
Speaker 4: He's a great guy. We love it so much. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a super talented guy too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I walked in there and kind of walked out knowing that I was going to be on the show. And the thing that I knew about it, even though I think that was I think it was season.
Speaker 2: Two, Season three, Season three, our best season as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: Season three, and it was like already it was in you know, the at the flashpoint of the zeitgeist, right, it was just y. I remember I did that show and then it aired, and it was it seemed like all the other work I'd done before, where you'd get stopped in the airport once every third trip.
Speaker 5: Now you're you're on Sex in the City. It doesn't matter whether you were a guest or or not.
Speaker 3: People are gonna are going to recognize you and recognize your work.
Speaker 5: And that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of questions I didn't know the answer to a lot of questions about you guys.
Speaker 2: Ah, well you really only wereked with, well you were with Sarah and Cynthia, but predominantly Cynthia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: I don't think we ever met that.
Speaker 5: I know, no, we didn't.
Speaker 3: We didn't meet and and and if I'm totally honest, I I wanted to meet you. I think I wanted to meet you more than than than any of.
Speaker 4: Well why didn't we darn and I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't meet you. I remember talking to my buddy Paul was like, what's what was it like? Did you meet christ?
Speaker 4: And I said, no, I wish I had met you too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I must have been I feel like in this episode, I'm off in Connecticut with the Kyle's family, the Tree family, and I do know we went to Connecticut, so I might have actually physically not even been around.
Speaker 5: You know, you know, you know how it is on sets.
Speaker 3: You can it's possible for you to you know, it's possible for you to inhabit two.
Speaker 5: Roles that are well featured. You might not ever see each other. It's true.
Speaker 4: But it's a bummer.
Speaker 2: It's a bummer because sometimes we would have read throughs where everyone would be there. But I don't know if at this point in the season, because I think at this point in the season, this is three seventeen, so it was like back in the day where we used to make so many episodes in a season, right. I think we were hectic, you know, we'd gone to la I think, and come back like we were.
Speaker 4: I think we just lost our minds at this point in this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I remember it being very It felt to me anyway, like kind of an efficient machine that was moving very fast, much faster than I expected. Of course, you know on daytime in soaps it moves so lightning fast.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I was on a soap once. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is crazy.
Speaker 3: So you're like, you know, on a busy show, your thirty pages of dialogue a day, and.
Speaker 5: So I went there. It was like a vacation. No, it was a few lines here, a few lines there, and it was great.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: I have a pressing question for you, though, I've been really curious about this. Is it my imagination or was there a part of this that you filmed with Cynthia where she throws up on you while you're having sex.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's true, right, yeah, yeah, I'm right.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is so crazy to me because you know they cut it out.
Speaker 5: Oh I know, they cut it out.
Speaker 3: They cut it out, and they changed the ending so that she wakes up with that massive hangover, stumbles down her hallway and finds a note. She thinks it's going to be his phone number, and he's left through the phone number to AA.
Speaker 4: Is so sad. It is so sad.
Speaker 2: So what do you remember, like, because I remember there was a lot of discussion.
Speaker 4: There was soup.
Speaker 2: They put soup like Campbell's soup in the thing, and they put a tube and she had to throw up on you while you're having sex.
Speaker 3: You're one hundred percent right, wow, most. First of all, let's talk sex scenes in Hollywood. It's not it's the most. It's mortifying. It's you've got, you know, a bunch of people around doing the various things that need to be done, from lighting to measuring your note. You're trying to get the rolling around right and the kissing right and the hole.
Speaker 5: It's just crazy.
Speaker 3: So with of course, Cynthia made it easy. She's a total pro the way they had this thing structured. Right, I'm in her bed, I got the pillows behind me, she's straddling me, so i'm you know, they've got me naked from the waist up and they've got her in the pasty so she's got the bare back and they're over her shoulder or no, no, for this particular shot, they're like they're in a two shot on the side and her profile is blocking the machine. Which is basically like this massive like two inch or three inch cannon that they've set up that's like air actuated, right, and they filled it with with with with chunky soup.
Speaker 5: Yes, and they and then the way the scene was written.
Speaker 3: Was she's sort of, you know, I got to go through it, so sho, sort of She's writhing on top of me, and we're we're you know, and and and I'm holding her and and and she's getting seasick from all the drinking that she did, right, and so for whatever reason she felt inadequate, she drank herself through it. She starts to get sick motion sickness, and she throws up on me and they fire this They fire this stuff out of the cannon and it's like projectile, like horizontal across the screen, just right into my face and in my mouth and in my own and in my chest, and oh my god. I didn't have to do anything because I don't need to react really beyond yeah. I mean, it's just well, they looked at that, apparently, this is what I heard. I heard they looked at it in post, of course, and they were like, no, we can't. I mean, it's like Linda.
Speaker 5: Blair on you know, on Mescal and we can't, we can't do this.
Speaker 3: We my god, this is going to be indelible. They're only going to remember this, I'm imagining was their inner dialogue. But for whatever reason, they just thought it was too gruesome to be able to show it, and they changed it.
Speaker 5: But a lot of people don't know that, you know, in somewhere that footage exists.
Speaker 2: I know see in my mind it was so vividly written, and I feel like somehow I might have seen the dailies because Cynthia used to love to watch her dailies and it was really extreme, like I have a very vivid image of it in my mind, and I didn't really I wasn't sure that they cut it out, but I do remember conversation about it, and remember that the conversation was that it went too far in the embarrassment of Miranda, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that makes sense because they do love.
Speaker 2: To embarrass us, like all of the characters get embarrassed in different ways throughout the years.
Speaker 4: But this was kind of maybe just like too.
Speaker 3: Far, I think so, I think so, I think maybe if they I don't know, if they had somehow not shown the actual yeah, action of it all. Maybe it would have worked, but hey, listen, I think they ended up with a satisfactory ending.
Speaker 2: All right, So this is my Hyundai hot take, celebrating iconic moments, bold moves, and unforgettable style, just like Hyundai. I think that since we're talking about unforgettable style, I cannot choose anything except for Sarah Jessica walking down the street in the newspaper or print dere because it's so beautiful, and not only is it so beautiful, it tells the story so beautifully of you know, kind of where she's at. It's got the city, it's got the long lens, the way Allen Colter filmed her, the way that wind is blowing her hair, because you know that that is not a shot that we could have in any way affected the wind. Right, he's probably a whole block away. There are cars passing in front of her. I just think it's so beautiful that I could watch it over and over and over again. And the way that she's alone and there's these cars passing which kind of obscure her, kind of in the way that the character Carrie isn't clear in her life about what she's doing and about what she's done, and she's trying to come to kind of terms with her own actions in terms of having the affair with Big and what does it mean And now that he's separated from his wife and he's alone somewhere, but yet she's alone on the street. We're not with her, you know, she's very much framed by strangers passing behind her and cars passing in front of her. It's just so incredibly beautiful that I could watch it over and over again, and to me, it's crazy to think about how that was one moment in just a TV show at the time that was twenty five minutes long. It blows my mind.
Speaker 4: And that's one of.
Speaker 2: The joys of getting to rewatch the show is that I'm just so impressed with everyone involved with our show, the writers, the directors, our DP, our camera operators, like everyone was just doing their best best work, and I'm so proud of it. Hope that would be my Hyndai hot take, presented by the all new Hyundai Palis Hybrid making everyday epic. Well, you have a lot of dignity your part. You have a lot of dignity. Like the thing that I love about your part, it's kind of unusual for a man who's kind of a guest star type of guy. Right, you know, you come, you're the detective. When Sarah gets Carrie gets held up in the street, which is also really odd, a very odd scene, right, like this guy pulls his gun out and she kind of thinks it's a joke, which I kind of understand because it's total daylight.
Speaker 4: It's all very odd. And then you come.
Speaker 2: You're very professional. You know, you're very good looking, but you're very professional.
Speaker 4: And then Miranda.
Speaker 2: Shows up and the first thing you say to her is something about like, oh maybe you should read me my Miranda writes or come with me, right, a funny little joke, like you're like you have an interesting combination of like dignity, you know what I'm saying, because you're the cop and you're not really like overdoing it, but you're also kind of flirty and good looking and interesting.
Speaker 4: So she's all like a flutter.
Speaker 2: And then Carrie is like trying to get your attention while you two were talking, She's like standing on her toes and stuff.
Speaker 4: Do you remember this? It's really funny.
Speaker 3: I love the scene where she gets jacked for her Manola bloonnos which was part of that. And I'll tell you some of the things that I liked about this, the way they that Alan also his direction. So when we're in the restaurant, and I've had a lot of comments about this, when we're in the restaurant, Alan told me, you know your attention is on her, that all this external attention this character is getting, you don't notice that at all. And of course it makes complete sense that he It goes to supporting the idea that he's entirely enamored with her. And I love the way that read when I watched it. When I watch it in the episode, I love the way that that simple little thing, it's not even the dialogue really, it's just the action that that this guy is genuinely focused on her and not on any of this external energy that he's getting. And I liked the character for that. I think that's part of where the dignity the character comes from. Yeah, there was another thing that happened that that happens a lot as a result, which is kind of anecdotal, but it's funny.
Speaker 5: The comment, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 3: The comment I would get the most of consistently from people who knew me and didn't know me was.
Speaker 5: You have really nice hands, and that was what they would say.
Speaker 3: And I came away from that, I mean, as an actor, I came away thinking maybe I should be a hand mom.
Speaker 5: Totally.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I thought.
Speaker 5: That's what went through my head, which is not great for an actor to think. It's not a great review right now.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's a good review. That's a nice thing.
Speaker 3: No, it was that experience was a great one. And here you have an example of something that was a small, little blip in terms of the time that it took. But because it was such a popular program, and because you guys had landed so solidly with the public, they they come on.
Speaker 5: I mean they.
Speaker 3: Still devour that show. I still watch that show. I love watching that shows.
Speaker 5: It's not only a love letter to New York, which.
Speaker 3: Is an aspect of it that I that is near and dear to me. I can't not watch something that's a love letter either to La or New York. But it's also just the nature of what you talked about earlier, how they made you guys very.
Speaker 5: Human when they made fun of.
Speaker 2: You, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the whole Yeah. I mean, our writers obviously are you know, excellent and the reason in our minds.
Speaker 4: For the success.
Speaker 2: We we're just lucky as actors, you know, to get that job right. But I love like and that's what I love about about There's a few a few guys, and I'm trying to think now of other ones.
Speaker 4: It's hard to even think of other ones.
Speaker 2: Where you know, like Miranda because of her insecurity, because she feels like you're better looking than she is, which is so relatable and adorable. She messes up right, like she messes up a good thing because you have all the dignity.
Speaker 4: You're a cop.
Speaker 2: You're totally focused on her, even though the whole restaurant is looking at you, which is also kind of an interesting It's like a you know, you're like the really good looking girl but with a heart of gold, like totally focused and professional and appropriate and all of the things right. And it would have still been true if they had kept in the throwing up part because you're also like, you know, like what are you supposed to.
Speaker 4: Do with that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: But without it and writing the AA note also amazing, you know what I'm saying, Like I love the arc.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do, I get it. He was a good He was a good guy. And it's.
Speaker 3: Still when I watched the episode, I know, I'm kind of taking us off on a date.
Speaker 4: You can go anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm probably going to get this. You can probably if you haven't gotten to it before me, you're going to get to it. I thought that the character who for me stole that show was the actor who played Sam.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. I am a doctor, it's so funny. I know who is that guy?
Speaker 1: I don't know it.
Speaker 3: He was absolutely hysterical, and it really was. I mean everything from the voice to the temperament and when he starts to get like needy.
Speaker 5: How funny.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 5: The sex scenes were hilarious.
Speaker 2: Hilarious, hilarious, And a lot of that is Alan Coulter too, as you said, like he the way that I think Ellen Colter makes actors feel very comfortable, right, which is really nice.
Speaker 4: And then he's also.
Speaker 2: Really creative about the shots and how he does them. And I had one hundred percent forgotten that entire storyline. Like sometimes when I'm watching, I'm really watching for the first time because I don't remember anything really, and I didn't remember that storyline, not for one tiny second. I was like, who is Sam Jones?
Speaker 4: What is this? I didn't know? And then it's this kid.
Speaker 2: And I don't know who that actor is. I don't know why he has that accent.
Speaker 5: What was going on?
Speaker 4: He's great.
Speaker 2: And also it's so funny the way that the writing, because so the basic gist for anyone who doesn't remember is that Sam is Samantha's at home in her new loft and she's getting all these phone calls about this party, this big blowout that she's throwing, and all these guys are calling to say that they're coming, So that kind of piques her interest because she doesn't know what they're talking about. And then she calls the guy that she says something to one of the guys calling her to confirm going to the party.
Speaker 4: She says, like, who, you know what party? And he tells them.
Speaker 2: Where and it's a it's it's it's like a downtown uh you know, it's by Washington Square Park, right, So she thinks it's very posh, because of course you would think an address down there would be very posh. Well, it's New York University, so it's it's like a fricking house exactly it's in a dorm, which is so mortifying. She makes carry go, I had not remembered any of this. It's really funny.
Speaker 4: They go in.
Speaker 2: Carrie's like, you know, don't tell anyone we did this. So they go in and there's all these young people and she goes up to the guy, who is sam Jones also, and he tells her he's a virgin, I believe, which is also really funny, and you can see her eyes light up. But then she's like, no, no, we're gonna leave, you know, which is the right thing to do, and then he pursues her or whatever. Right like, he comes over. It's crazy, and they have like very athletic sex, very athletic and creatively filmed sex, and he's of course thrilled, you know, and she's of course like not really thrilled, though she does see more nowt but not like she's not in her Samantha Jones way excited. But he is very excited and tells her he loves her, and she's like bye bye.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, and then he just starts to evolve, right.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's exact.
Speaker 5: I found that.
Speaker 3: Whole thing to be kind of poignant but also extremely funny and touching. That's the sort of that's the thing that show did, is you you don't feel the needle going in, but it did, from time to time touch on something important or something. There's a lesson in there. They're very often a lesson in there, hidden away, and all the laughs and all of that.
Speaker 5: That's what made it so.
Speaker 3: I think it was one of the things that obviously it's your chemistry, you guys. They got so lucky when they cast that show and they figured out because you know, at any given place that could have gone off the rails or not worked from a chemistry point. That's true because there's a lot of there's a lot of you. There's a lot of you there.
Speaker 4: You know, there are a lot of us there, right, and.
Speaker 3: So it just it was magic that that chemistry and everything worked out the way that it did.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's true, and it was magic because none of us read together, you know, now they would do the chemistry.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, I thought that that you. I would have thought for sure that you read together.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: That's why it's also so just kind of odd. You know, it's like Kismet or whatever. It's a strange thing.
Speaker 5: So walk me through. What how did you? How did it work out for you? You get this? Obviously your agent calls you, you get this audition?
Speaker 2: What not exactly like that because I already knew Darren Starr who actually wrote this episode?
Speaker 4: Is that right? Am I correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Darren Starr wrote this episode, which is interesting because I didn't realize. I know, it's a great episode, I didn't realize he Darren has described himself in interviews as being like a shark, like he has to keep moving, so he likes to create shows and then move on generally speaking. So I knew him because he cast me on Melrose, and right after Melrose he left, and I was like, oh no, my guy left because he was the only guy who seemed to understand my character. So then they were like, we don't know what to do with this character, and so they killed me off, which was fine. I did I think thirty six episodes some insane amount of episodes.
Speaker 4: Of that show.
Speaker 2: And then he had thought to himself that he was tired of regular network stuff and he wanted to go to HBO, even though HBO wasn't really known for original programming, So he options Candice Bushnell's book of the column Sex and the City and he takes it to HBO and he makes a deal at HBO and they're going to make this pilot. And it was kind of, you know, for all the actresses in LA it was like, what like four women stomping around New York City and outfits like they're in charge, like what Like it was unheard of, you know, and it still is kind of unheard of, which is a sad commentary, I think on our business. But at the time, which was I think nineteen ninety seven, that's when we got cast in the pilot, it was, you know, like just I remember just thinking.
Speaker 4: So the short version of the story.
Speaker 2: He sends me the script because they had wanted Sir Jessica to play Carry she was getting cold feet about committing to a television show. So he sent me the script with a little note that said, Kristen read this for the role of Carrie. And I was like, I can't play this Carrie part ah, because I knew myself and I was very Southern at that point inside, even though I don't know people knew that or not or whatever, and I thought I was Charlotte because I related much more to Charlotte. So I said, Darren, I can't play this part. I've got to play this other, this one over here, and he was like, okay, all right. So then I went in.
Speaker 4: To test.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to do anything but test because he knew me. I go into test and they seemed very unsure about everything, except for Sara Jusica because at that point they had really like put all their eggs in that basket.
Speaker 4: They really wanted Sarah. They were talking to.
Speaker 2: Comedians about Samantha. They had asked Kim and Kim said no. I think she said no twice. So they were kind of in this thing between Sara Juskain and Kim, Sarajuska and Kim. No one had ever met anyone except Cynthia and Sarah knew each.
Speaker 4: Other from Broadway and they had worked together before, but.
Speaker 2: No one ever had anyone read together as these parts or whatever.
Speaker 3: At that surprises me, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: So Cynthia was in New York, I was in LA. They had tested Cynthia as well. She told the story when she came on the podcast, and then they were they for both of us.
Speaker 4: They let it go.
Speaker 2: You know, when you test, you have like a set period of time that they have to tell you. It's like two weeks or something like this. They had gone to the eleventh hour for her and not told her. So her manager was calling them basically saying, you're going to lose Cynthia. Because it was still pilot season. Remember in the days of pilot season. Yep, she's her manager was calling them every hour saying, you're going to lose her.
Speaker 4: You're gonna lose her. She's getting on a plane.
Speaker 2: To go to LA to shoot a pilot and if you don't get her before then she's going to do this other show. Because really she didn't want to go do this other show in LA. She wanted to stay in New York and do our show. So the manager had to. Emily had to do her managerial thing right, and mine mine. I'm like dying, like so tortured by having to wait, like every day I'm my lawyer. Every day, I'm calling my manager, every day I'm calling my agent, like.
Speaker 4: Did they call you? Did they call you? What is happening? I'm just like out of my ever loving mind.
Speaker 2: So on the final day, they still hadn't called, and so I went to the movies in the daytime down at Santa Monica AMC just to try.
Speaker 4: To get through a couple of guys. I've been there, right, it's so hard.
Speaker 2: And I remember being in the parking lot. I had my little clunky cell phone at the time, in the beginning of the cell phones, and I called my manager.
Speaker 4: Like, what did you hear anything? And he was like yeah.
Speaker 2: They finally said yeah, but they seemed kind of on the fence and I was like, ah.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll just go do it. It'll be all right.
Speaker 2: And I went and did it, and then they tried to demote me to recurring. It's a long story, but it all worked out. It all worked, It.
Speaker 3: Worked out beautifully, and I so they answered they answered their question of.
Speaker 5: Whether or not you were Charlotte. Yes, And I think you answered it really well.
Speaker 4: Thank you. So wait, tell me a little bit you you alluded to it.
Speaker 2: But so tell me what it was like when the show aired and you'd be walking around. What do people say to you?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: It was amazing. First of all, I had that year was quite a year for me where two things happened that were unexpected. They were different jobs for me. Sex and the City, of course was one of them, and then I did. I was called this is funny. I was called well, okay, my agent in New York gets a submission from these fellows that come over from Europe and they're producing a new video game that's a sequel to another one. It's called Max Pain. It was the sequel to Max Pain. It was the game. But they said, what we're doing is looking for an actor because we're going to actually capture not just the motion, but we're going to capture his face and his movements through the graphic novel and into the game. And it's like this two and a half month experience, and we are looking for someone who looks like this guy.
Speaker 5: And they put they gave my picture to my agent. Yeah, swear, that's freaky totally.
Speaker 3: My agent calls me because you're not going to believe this, But I was just given your picture and told to find a guy that looks like you.
Speaker 5: And I said, you're kidding for what?
Speaker 3: And he explains the whole thing, and I go, well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: If I don't get this, I mean, if I don't get this, then there's either something wrong with me or I definitely have the right to be somehow pissed.
Speaker 5: So I go and meet them and it was a nice meeting. It was great.
Speaker 3: I ended up getting this thing, and it was so interesting because the video game community, Yeah, is this ferocious, you know, infected in a good way, very involved. Like if you think the soap opera, the daytime soap opera fans are rabid, no, no, no, the video game fans are. You know, they're they're like comic book and they know everything that's that's supposed to happen and how every fiber is supposed to look. And so it was that was something that even to this day, people are still you know, I still have connections to to people who are affected by that fans of that game, and the same with with with Sex and the City. So this thing airs and I start getting stopped on the street in New York. I was still shooting the show The one uh one Life to Live, and I was getting stopped all.
Speaker 5: The time when it was airing.
Speaker 3: You know, just tell asking me if I was on the show, did you play Hey were you Stevens?
Speaker 5: And that of course was you know in the in in in in the.
Speaker 3: Over the years in which I was an actor, I didn't quite have that kind of notoriety. Even on daytime where where it was somewhat popular, you don't really have that kind of engagement with with the folks who watch.
Speaker 5: So I was gratified by that.
Speaker 3: Actually, I thought it was fun to meet all those people and you'd catch a quick story about who they are or what share their thoughts on the show. But they would always ask me about you guys. They would have always ask me questions about all of you, you know, as questions about Cynthia that I couldn't answer because they think that we know each other better than we do.
Speaker 5: And so there was a lot of that, and a lot of the hands thing, you know, the hands interesting.
Speaker 3: That was so weird, And I know why because in the restaurant scene, in those shots it's with the wine glasses.
Speaker 5: It's basically, my hands are like a third character.
Speaker 4: Interesting. I was not looking at that. I'm going to have to look back at it. I like it. I like it. Do you miss acting sometimes?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 5: Sometimes I do? Yeah, sometimes I You know.
Speaker 3: The last thing I did was an independent series a few years back called Paper Empire. It hasn't really gone too far that that thing. It was a producer went and made it on his own dime and started trying to sell it around town. You know how that can go. Yes, but it's the the experience of being in front of the camera is the same, no matter what the sales experiences later for something. As the actor, you have the same the same sort of feelings. Yeah, it's always been. It had always been a career that had been good to me.
Speaker 5: And and.
Speaker 3: I sometimes still even questioned the why did I did I stop?
Speaker 5: And and you.
Speaker 3: Know those are that's it's an interesting I mean to be very honest with you. I think that it's a confluence of things. Really, I think it I had some insecurity that might have led to putting an arms distance between the experience of incessantly auditioning and going you know, the nature of an act it is, you know, you know as well as I do that the nature of an actor is that you're you're you're out of work constantly, even when you're working, and when you're working, you're looking for the next thing, and you're.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 3: I when I found an opportunity to be grounded, I found it. I was enamored by it. I felt like I had been hugged. And I don't mean to make it too heady or any of that. But I think it was a combination of me meeting Patrie, my wife, and you know, I have and have had something that I think, perhaps unfortunately most people may never have, and it is I have this extraordinary relationship that is enriched me and made me so much better than I was.
Speaker 4: And that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It is, it is amazing, it is. It is nothing short of amazing. And I don't know why that happened. And then I have these we have these two beautiful children, and I don't know, I just got I got this point where I said, now I have everything I need sort of, and I can maybe stop swimming against the current to try to be something.
Speaker 2: More that makes sense to me. I think that's super smart. I think that's a smart way to go. I mean, you'd already had a whole career.
Speaker 3: You know, at times it feels smart. Sometimes it feels like I gave up. Some days it feels, you know, like it was right. And it's just that's just something that it changes as you think things through and as you're and also you know what all strikes you as you go and you see like, for instance, you go see something like and by no means in my comparing my my own abilities to the likes of these, I would mention, but you go, you go and see one battle after another.
Speaker 5: And you know how they.
Speaker 3: Generally, you know the process of making it, and and and as an actor who's done it for so long, it's impossible for you not to opine for for for that opportunity or that feeling. And I don't think I don't think that ever leaves you, that you you would just simply not ever want to feel that again.
Speaker 5: Right, I think that.
Speaker 3: It's not a struggle though, in the sense that when I tell you that you know how I feel on my home front, it really that it really is true, and that really sort of makes everything so much easier.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think it's super fascinating.
Speaker 2: I also feel like it's it is kind of it's because you started at eleven, right, Like that is you already had the length of a career of like an incredible career.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did, I did, I did, I had, I mean, I god, I had. My career had been It's been an interesting one. I played, sure, I played Merlin Olsen's son, who was the famous linebacker for the Rams. Wow, I played OJ Simpson's adopted son.
Speaker 5: What yes, what was that? Like?
Speaker 4: We have to stop right there for a second.
Speaker 5: Oh what yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What year was that?
Speaker 5: Okay? That was my That was nineteen seven.
Speaker 3: It was either nineteen I'm gonna say it was nineteen seventy nine or nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 4: Okay much? And what was he like?
Speaker 3: Well, you know that's the isn't that the thing with him? That he was this very personable magnetic figure with a big smile like Magic Johnson. But we all, you know, didn't realize that his heart was not like Magic Johnson's heart, right. But I played a It was a sequel to one of his TV movies that was very successful called Goldie in the Boxer, And this was called Goldie in the Boxer goes to Hollywood and this this heavyweight fighter adopts a bunch of orphans who live behind the movie sets, wow, and and becomes kind of a father figure to them. And I remember he signed a ball that I have somewhere that to my family, to the Gibbs family, and it says peace oh J Simpson.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean crazy things that in other words, I've had a very interesting track and been able to work with some great people. I played Chad evertts Son and then Stephen Cannell series, so all of these different experiences, and and of course in Barcelona, in Spain, I was shooting movies there, yeah, and that was quite quite fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's that this career, when practiced at a certain level, can take you all over and you meet all kinds of people, you shoot in all different kinds of lands, and you learn a lot and it's enriching in so many ways. So I definitely feel like I had that experience, which is.
Speaker 2: So great, so great, and I think that is a beautiful thing that you found this this incredible relationship and grounded family and you're building furniture.
Speaker 4: I think that sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the most it's it's so it's so much fun.
Speaker 5: I'll show you in my store right now. Okay, so this is one of the tables. We build this very old, very old, primitive stuff.
Speaker 4: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 5: And then we build these stools.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so this is uh, this is my life.
Speaker 4: Now, gorgeous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be on your website.
Speaker 5: You got to check it out. You got to go check it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, we could come by the next time we go from Columbia to Charleston.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you you could.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 5: We'd welcome you.
Speaker 4: Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: See, that's the kind of life I feel somewhat jealous for, you know, like you always feel jealous for the other thing, right of course. Yeah, yes, like I mean it wasn't in the cards from here or whatever, but part of me I can see the joy of like a grounded experience in a tiny town.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that part of it.
Speaker 3: It's interesting tiny towns, Southern towns, they have their secrets and they have you know, our little town. It's a tiny town, but it's South Carolina has a share of corruption at the municipal level.
Speaker 4: And you listen. I mean, I'm not even gonna get started, but I know I.
Speaker 5: Could tell you some serious stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's never boring down there.
Speaker 3: We've had police chiefs arrested and all kinds of crazy stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, it's it's and this is.
Speaker 3: A tiny little town, so it's uh yeah, I won't go into names or anything, but it's been an education across the board. But largely, uh, the the nature of it, this quiet, sort of simple life.
Speaker 5: It has its attractions, it has its.
Speaker 3: Benefits, and there are moments where I'm grateful to have it. It's it's you know, la, it's a roaring life, and New York is even more, but this is more of a whisper and it's nice.
Speaker 4: That's very nice. Well, you're a joy. Thank you so much for joining us. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's part of the fun thing about a pod because you don't know everyone's story, and that's why I wanted to do this, because I love to hear everybody's stories, you know.
Speaker 3: It's so I'm so grateful to you for reaching out and giving me the opportunity. I've always felt like my little stint on that show packed much more of a punch than I expected. Yeah, and I'm grateful for that opportunity. And this gives me the opportunity to actually say that.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's so nice. That's the other thing that I love so much. When you know, when you're around actors, all of us I think, really, I mean, at least most of us have a sense of how lucky we are, and you know, we're very I think you have to be kind of open as a person and grateful and the things that you know you have expressed. That's part of why I wanted to talk to everybody too, because I love to hear each personal version. And if you weave all those things together, I do think it's really like an interesting backdrop to what people see, right because they only see the show the finished product, but like what everyone puts into it is is so interesting, individually interesting, which is why it works, you know.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Thank you.
Speaker 4: So much, Timathy for joining us.
Speaker 5: It was my pleasure, honestly, thank you for having me my joy.
Speaker 4: Now I know the South Carolina connection. We're gonna have to find you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'll have to come by and see the store.
Speaker 4: I'd love to. I'd love to have a great day. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you have a great one. Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Thanks bye,