Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and oh leave it and welcome to season three sixty three. I'm drowning in my own body Season three sixty three, Episode four of Dar Dailey's Geist. Remember this, Yeah, that was the Dean screen.
Speaker 2: Know that that was when someone that was disqualifying.
Speaker 3: Wait, what's crazy is I actually just pulled that up to have as a like sound clip because I miss I missed that the d scream. I feel like that's actually something that we're missing in politics now, is a rally prime.
Speaker 1: It was like when the mainstream media had the power to cancel someone on a win, just be like, your campaign is over, asshole, because we got a funny little clip of you sounding wild. Yeah yeah, no more mainstream media.
Speaker 2: Looks like everybody stopped listening to you, and it's funny. It was also because he was for a single pair healthcare.
Speaker 1: Shit. Oh yeah, that's why I decided to freaking shit fuck out of there. Yeah yeah, yeah, anyway, sorry, go on. It's a production by Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is Thursday, November seventh, twenty twenty four. Miles. I can't wait to find out what the national International days are today.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I feel so fucking stupid. Saying these right now, given everything that's going on. But it is National retin All Day, so shout out this fucking skincare. Okay, it's also these days, fucking suck dude. National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's what I'm aware of today mainly.
Speaker 2: And also yeah, National men make Dinner Day. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Hey, you've earned it, fellas, go out there and uh, you know, spend all your political capital. God man, people who like dark chocolate are so proud of that fact. It's like such a weird political cause. But there's why I actually like my chocolate to taste bad.
Speaker 2: I like I like Hershey's Special Dark because that's the closest I'll get like real dark chocolate.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I like my candy to be so sweet.
Speaker 3: What's what's happening with the Hershey's one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's the special dark Special Dark I'm okay with. But like if you go to Trader Joe's or some shit and like they're like dark chocolate stuff, there's stuff I'm like.
Speaker 1: A little too bittersweet for me. Anyway. I just like I'm baby, so I like a little melt in your mouth milk chocolate. And when people like your chocolate lover like yes, oh so you like like bittersweet dark chocolate with no sugar in it, that like makes makes you have a makes your face contort. I'm like no, they're like, oh, then you don't really like fuck with chocolate.
Speaker 3: Is it? Because they're supposed to be like more of a flavor profile with your yeah, dark chocolate, and it's like yeah, like the finer things and you're.
Speaker 1: Like probably good.
Speaker 2: It's like for a wine, I'm drinking a smearanof ice bro that is the.
Speaker 1: Equivalent of my taste and chocolate is the tannins. Yeah to wine experts, I prefer smearnoff ice. Yeah. Anyways, Uh, my name's Jack O'Brien AKA. I'm not gonna do an AKA. I do just want to shout out all the folks in the Zeit gang who like still brought it this morning just workman like showed up for work halcion salad, dropping a banger in there. I just I don't have it in me to do a super califragilistic xbalidocious AKA about We'll get to it. The Trump existential crisis. I think I will. I just don't have a song in my heart this morning, but I do want to just shout out Zeke Gang who were like, you know, writing through the pain. I love you, Davis, Johnny Zero. Oh, y'all appreciate it less than zero. Thank you all. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: You think Jack doesn't have the energy, well anyway, I mean, look, we're still we're still recording this right after the election, so we're still we're still reeling a bit. But we had we had to.
Speaker 1: Get on Mike. It's Wednesday morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we still have to get on Mike because I feel like the only way to really for me, at least personally, to kind of have a just reckoning with the reality is to talk about it as much as I just kind of like, maybe I'll just fucking scroll the internet and ship for you.
Speaker 1: No, not doing that, but I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm putting it down. But anyway, it's great to be here. It's Miles great. I still am the showgun with no gun Ankersham.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing is that they can't take from you.
Speaker 2: If I've old guns can't take them from me.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. That's called They're gonna, They're gonna come. That's what's gonna be one of their the weird arms of this new fascism. They're gonna force guns into our where your gun. You hadn't got one, they better get one. You can be in trouble Miles. You're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny comedian and writer debut album. You must go check out. It's accurately called Certified Delight. Please welcome Rachel Freed. Rachel, Wow, Wow, Hey guys, the first time guests still showed up despite what what this morning is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and I and I picked this. I got a slew of dates and I said, you know what sounds really good to me after the election, just to see what happens. Huh, let's just really get to know each other in a deep and meaningful way.
Speaker 1: True truly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Where did you grow up?
Speaker 1: Rachel?
Speaker 3: I grew up in Long Beach, California.
Speaker 2: Oh, l Beach? Okay, heard of it? Yeah, I have my dad taught at cal State Long Beach.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, that's my mater.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Okay forty what's up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I really stayed in Long Beach a long time. But it's a it's a great city.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I feel like as I get older in La more and more people learn about it and they're like, actually, Long Beach is kind of cool, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, don't. People are like, have you tried to park in Long Beach? It's really hard in some places, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, well, we are still La County, Thank you so much. That is the one similar tree.
Speaker 1: Right, shout out super Victor, also from Long Beach or having moved out here as I thought, Victor, Wait, did you go to Long Beach or you're from Long Beach? Victor speak up? Oh, he said me too. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought you were from cal State Long Beach. Baby, Yeah, but you're not right, Victor.
Speaker 1: No, I'm from Long.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what I thought. Okay, Okay, see, I let people know. I got to keep gotta keepep it man.
Speaker 1: I thought Long Beach would be such a like I would be there all the time based on nothing but a g thing. Compton and Long Beach together, I mean that sounds like your first week in California.
Speaker 2: You're like I'm going to I'm going to go on a Compton and together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like a beautiful mixture. Like gin and juice, another thing that I partook in much less as a grown up than I thought I would.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, well did you at all?
Speaker 3: Did you ever dabble?
Speaker 1: Were you? Like, let me see what a bad experience with Are we talking about gin and juice or Long Beach?
Speaker 3: We're talking about gin and juice first, Long Beach.
Speaker 1: I had a bad experience with gin as like a sixteen year old where I just drank warm gin for a whole night and like was very sick for a whole week and then never real a week. Yeah, man, I was like alcohol poisoned. Oh no, yeah oh yeah yeah, I was meeting alcohol did not go well together.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm glad you parted ways.
Speaker 1: Yes, me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate I just also I hate Jim. The first time I was like, yeah, give me that Tanger Ray and I was like.
Speaker 3: Also, shout out what a great brand Tankeray. That is so like that puts you right in our age group of like yeah, we're singing about tank Ray. We're thinking about yeah, like how many ads do I have imprinted in my brain of.
Speaker 2: Like watching Gang a tanger Ray, right, you know what I mean? It also blew my mind was like it's not with a G, that's a Q, which is.
Speaker 3: Kind of crazy, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, why is that? Because Q is the classy version of G. You know, yeah, like a real classy.
Speaker 2: I thought tanger Ray was like a cocktail with like tang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does have I mean the marketing I once read a magazine article about like the marketing guy behind Gray Goose, and he was also the marketing guy behind what's the what's the thing that the like a parrot or the digestif that like everybody takes.
Speaker 2: Like a borrow or yeah Fornett.
Speaker 1: No no, like even a long time ago, the green.
Speaker 2: Oh oh no no no, the German one with the Jagermeister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like this person was just like made both of those huge and like I feel, I feel like the the smartest brains in America in the late twentieth century. We're just going into marketing liquor, like naming tanger Ray and you know, like.
Speaker 2: This there like it's fine French wheat or something with gray Goose to set it apart, like oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, yeah, well goddamn fine French vodkaan in a wine bottle. Don't mind if I do yeah with the cork. All right, Well, Rachel, we do really appreciate you showing up, Yeah, record with us today. It's been lovely getting to meet you. We're going to get to know you a little bit better in moment. First, some of the things we're talking about, well, just look at the overall, like some of the metrics that we do, we're looking at that. Yeah, just a couple of very basic ones. Also Google searches that show us just where the electorate was at in the day leading up to the election. We will peer through the bullshit to try to strain and find a couple of bits of good news and just like an overall, our writer JM actually watched like TV election results coming in. They didn't watch them. I didn't watch it on TV.
Speaker 2: No, man, fucking killed my brain watching channel.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it was a real.
Speaker 2: Dude, the fucking Daily Show thing was so hard to watch.
Speaker 3: I didn't want I went to a bar last night. It wasn't super crowded. They were also still doing trivia, which I said, love the commitment. Loveday Trivia night, which is beautiful and was kind of a nice distraction to be like we're playing trivia, but also the elections happening. It was so quiet in there. I'm assuming because people learn from twenty sixteen to be like, we're staying, we're doing this in private.
Speaker 1: Now we're not. We're not.
Speaker 2: There's a bar by me that was like, yeah, we're not doing anything because we don't want to associate whatever happens tonight with our bar in case it.
Speaker 1: Goes very fair south and very it's a.
Speaker 2: Very okay, good, good good. Yeah, don't let this be the scene of absolute disappointment. I know somebody who like was like having a viewing party, and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Oh yo, no, no. I couldn't even first, before everything went to shit, I couldn't even look at food because I was too nervous. And then once it started going to shit, I was very glad I hadn't even thought about food because I would not have. Yeah, it was bad, but like to just be there doing like you know, or dirvs Jesus in front of other people, just like choking them down to sport.
Speaker 3: Up a deviled egg. Yeah, I'm so glad I could be in community.
Speaker 1: Because I'd swallowed it whole like an aspirin because I forgot to chew it. Anyways, all that plenty more, maybe none of it. I don't know. We'll see what we have the stamina to do.
Speaker 2: But before we get to that therapy session, we don't need people who are trying to be like, what can we laugh?
Speaker 1: Give us a week. I don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: I said psilocybin might take me to the next plane of existence. I think for a little bit, I need to I need something. I need some people to get out in nature, touch grass. I'm gonna ride my bike so fucking hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, before we get to before we get to the news, Rachel. We do like to get to know our guests a little bit better by asking them, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Okay, so something about me is that I'm a bit of a freaking nerd. Hate to say it, but I always love to google a little something and I will, like currently I have sixty three tabs open on my phone. Just I just hear a word and I go, let me search that really quick, because I will come back and learn so much about this. Do I know have some of these been open since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, hell yeah, I have one hundred and eighteen tabs open.
Speaker 3: So okay, all right, I don't like to learn as much as you guys got Oh No, I'm just I'm it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm bad at following through on shit like cleaning up my tabs. A seventy six or Magic game from last season still open on my tabs, like that's that's that?
Speaker 1: That could be?
Speaker 2: This could be a new like segment or like oldest tab on your phone they opened because my oldest one?
Speaker 1: What is this puppies alternative? I can't imagine what the fuck I was thinking like four years ago? Yeah, mine was something about Trump visiting a black church. Damn I've opened hundred eighteen tab since fucking June. Okay anyway, Wow, I need to sort it out. Sorry to make this all about ust Rachel. It's good. This is good.
Speaker 3: It's a good jumping off way, and I also get to learn about the booth of you hundreds of tabs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what were you? So? What were you looking up?
Speaker 3: Okay? So, like the first thing that I have, the first tab that I have opened, is a movie called I Remember Mama that my grandma always told me to watch. It's like it's some old movie that She was like, I love this movie. It reminds me of my mom. You have to She would just tell me I have to watch a bunch of movies. I was like, okay. I also have a hard time remembering things, so opening a new tab is a great way for me to remember things when I then remember that I have them open right right, right.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 3: I wanted to learn more about Catherine the Great because I was watching The Great on Hulu, which was is an excellent show, and I said, I want to learn more about this broad got a tab open about pretty cool, very very cool, very interesting, very progressive, very horny, very horny lady.
Speaker 1: And I honey, progressive woman leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like that about her, and I think we need more of that. I have a really smart friend who's a philosopher of physics who one time dropped the phrase law of non contradiction and I said, oh, sounds like something I should also know, so I can start saying the law of non contradiction around people and sound very smart. Every time I read the first paragraph of the wiki entry, I'm like, we're already I'm already lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like you're going to.
Speaker 3: Kind of yeah. I'm like, today's the day I will understand it, and then I don't. But I keep it open because I go, one day you will understand.
Speaker 1: I believe myself.
Speaker 3: You know, one day I won't understand. And uh, what else do we have?
Speaker 1: I believe nothing called the law non contradiction.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say a lot of songs I want to remember, or like the lyrics a year where I go, how do I how do I get that? How do I get that song?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And uh, those are I mean, you've nailed it that. I feel like I know you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. The last thing I looked up was the Watts Uprising, because I watched Love and Mercy and then went on a deep dive about learning about the Beach Boys, and then went on a different deep dive about learning about Charles Manson, and somehow the Wats Rides came up in between all that, and I said, something I should know more.
Speaker 1: About is Love and Mercy. Good?
Speaker 3: It was good? Yeah, I liked it a lot. Paul d'anno agreed.
Speaker 2: Was the wait because what was what was Manson's deal with the Beach Boys? Weren't they didn't they cross paths, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He he globbed onto Dennis Wilson, the drummer, drummer and was like he was just trying to get to a record deal. And so through kind of like the free love movement and Dennis Wilson letting a bunch of the Manson family live in his house to the point where he was like, actually, guys, I'm selling my house, so you have to move out. Like he wouldn't kick them out, he was like, I'm actually moving so you gotta go.
Speaker 1: Oh did that move? He's like, I don't know how to talk directly to them, like.
Speaker 2: Dude, I don't know, like the house got sold. I guess you guys got.
Speaker 3: A Truly, it's like, my mom came home. She's so mad that you.
Speaker 1: Guys are coming home. Everybody everybody out out, murder, family out out.
Speaker 3: He also like fed them, kept them housed, and then was also paying for all their medical bills because there was a bunch of funereal disease going around because you know they were Yeah, and so yeah, that's how that's how they got connected.
Speaker 1: That. Yeah, I love that He went to the Tate to the house where Sharon Tate was because he had been there before when a record producer was there and like, yeah, that's he was just a guy with a song and a dream man and.
Speaker 3: Crazy race war ideas. Yeah it was nuts, but yeah, he you know, he would he stopped at nothing for fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The songs are bad, by the way, they're spooky because they have that like Beach Boys reverb thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it just feels like, honestly, it sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like if I mean, if the Beach Boy, if the Beach Boys had started a murder called I guess their their music would also be spooky.
Speaker 2: That ship would bang, though.
Speaker 3: For sure they were doing that wall of sound situation.
Speaker 2: I remember dating someone who earnestly would listen to that Manson ship and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, Oh, tell us more about that.
Speaker 1: She was cool.
Speaker 2: She was cool.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was like I was like, oh, you listen to all kinds of music. Have you heard Charles Manson? And I was like what, And that's like that was when I first got put onto it and I heard I was like, Yo, this is fucking weird. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That whole there's that band Cult in the thoughts that were like pretty good and they had like that same sort of jangly, reverb heavy sound, and like their whole aesthetic was like we're people in a cult and we sing about songs that people in a cult would sing about. Yeah, and that lasted for like a couple of singles. You would think that.
Speaker 2: Would be like a total maybe grayish flag or reddish flag maybe, but very sweet, person very empathetic. Just like in the beginning, I was like, oh my god, this motherfucker gonna kill me. And now they're like, that's so od. They were in healthcare with like unfortunate people. I'm like, Okay, you just got a lot of texture to your musical taste.
Speaker 3: Texture is a beautiful adjectivity, euphemism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird, very.
Speaker 3: Kind someone a video I watched recently. If y'all or any of your followers are into like an educational deep dive video, which that is a lot out of my YouTube watch history Sean Munger m U n g e R on YouTube. He does like three there are three hour videos villas, but they're so good. They're very educational. He does everything from like a geographic perspective, so like he'll tell a story and kind of drop you into Google Earth places and show you how the story unfolds through that as like visuals.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting.
Speaker 3: So I watched his like Charles Manson mini doc I'll call it, and he told the story through the geography of the Manson family, which was really neat.
Speaker 1: That sounds really cool. Is it a mini doc because the screen is small? Or is it three hours long?
Speaker 3: It's two and a half hours long. Okay, so I get it's not a mini doc. It's a Maxie Dog. It's mini mini screen Maxie time.
Speaker 1: There it is, right, Yeah, right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about your overrated and underrated. We'll be right back and we're back, Rachel. We also like to ask our guests what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: I well, honestly, in my heart, the first thing I wanted to say was drag. Drag is art, which I don't know that it's underrated really because it's it's in pop culture in such a significant way, and yet I still think there's not enough respect drag is an art. So that's that's honestly my answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone should watch Paris is burning.
Speaker 3: You know, everyone should watch Paris is Burning. I also brought so many videos of like my favorite drag queen moments to share as stuff that I will constantly reference in conversation and be like, well, no one knows what I'm talking about, so I have to go show you this to get the context.
Speaker 2: But that's what most of your tabs are that are open ye references you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please look at Exhibit A. You'll understand the reference I just made in conversation.
Speaker 3: I think a runner up though, for underrated is many tongs, many tongues, Like in many kitchen you don't need a long tongue. Sometimes you just need the mini.
Speaker 1: What do you use the mini tongus for? I'm curious, Thank you for asking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have just a like potato a hash brown right that you're cooking in your oven and you want to forget.
Speaker 1: That the size of a McDonald's, you.
Speaker 3: Just get the mini tongue because then you're not dealing with the whole spatula in the oven that's wild and loose, you know. But yeah, and then you can use it if you have a piece of toast that it's like lodged in your toaster don't put your knife in there.
Speaker 2: Please, don't put in yeah, don't put metal in there?
Speaker 1: Well like plastic rubber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, you don't have you don't have any man.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of like how many were going here, Like is it's just the one that just like a bent piece of plastic or does it happen?
Speaker 2: So there's your I feel like your typical tongues are maybe like eleven inches twelve inches long. Yeah, we're talking like.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think yeah, I think I know what you're talking about, and they could they.
Speaker 3: Could be just a similar piece. Look in his eyes, he knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, many many tongues, yep.
Speaker 2: He just for three whiskeys like this.
Speaker 1: With my thumb.
Speaker 2: No, not with your thumb, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I we have like multiple sides of tongues, and I have found myself using the ones for the outdoor grill. They're like super long, like to avoid having your eyelashes and eyebrows and stuff, smart, like around the kitchen because you know, I don't know where you're like your kid, Yeah, just stands. I'm gonna need to move this piece of furniture to use this. But we're gonna I love it.
Speaker 3: It's it's like your own grabber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just yeah, everything's with that tongue. If you had to like create a like thing that permanently became a tool that you could use on your body, like, what tool would you use, like you know, like.
Speaker 2: Incorporated as part of your physiology. Yeah, like you know a lighter for arm. Oh yeah, lighter is a great answer.
Speaker 3: Yea is a really good answer.
Speaker 2: Because you could that's like you can you you can help out and you can be like, yo, I can burn this mother down.
Speaker 3: If I brush up against a piece of furniture weird.
Speaker 1: By Yeah, yeah, don't funk with me.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like a knife is too crazy because depending on where the appendage is, that's like you're hurting people, you're ripping through stuff. I would say, I mean a tong would be great because that's an extra arm, that's an.
Speaker 2: Extra appendage and resistant too.
Speaker 1: I think we all learned scissor hands or pretty inconvenient, right, although you don't want you know, if you get really good with those, that could be Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unless you want to be a fierce hairstylist, you would blow up on TikTok.
Speaker 2: You know that, Oh yeah, absolutely, any of the ship he did, like whether it's like headge trimming or fucking hairstyles if you pulled up like with your fucking scissor fingers, people like this is and this is the person I get my political takes from. And I'm glad I'm on the right side of history.
Speaker 1: What uh? What's some of these things over it?
Speaker 3: I think I think food content creators. I've had a real beef with food content creators. Do you guys follow food content creators this as part of your day day viewing.
Speaker 2: I don't follow them, but I am the content is served to me via algorithm a lot on like TikTok or Instagram, because I do. I like cooking so like I couldn't name like specific influencers in terms of like the people that do the cooking, but I mean I I do see those sort of like viral recipes or like when people are claiming to invent a new thing that like people from another country have been doing for.
Speaker 3: Like mosta I would say, even like recipe inventors or whatever I can respect, but like people who specifically review food or like restaurant reviewers, I would.
Speaker 1: Say they got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah not, I guess, not necessarily, like food content creators in general, but specifically people who are like today, I'm going to go review this, and then they go review the restaurant, they show you the food, they take a bite, and they go, wow, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Well I could buy I can go do that.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, not a single adjective insight. You're not going to tell me anything about what this food is, where it's coming from, who's making it. Who's like zero research, just going today, Am I going to try this coffee shop? And they take a sip of the macha and they.
Speaker 1: Go, wow, that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's it's I need more from y'all. I need you to step your pussies up as it were.
Speaker 1: You know, just give us, give me one more word than good, please one more.
Speaker 3: It's the kind of people who would go like, oh, the machia tastes like machia, and you're like, well, yeah, what's that telling me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Esque about who wrote that?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, something, but you see it too, like when people always do like the cheese spread, like the threading of melted cheese, you know, like this this reminds you of one.
Speaker 2: Was like, okay, like look at this worth the spot. They're known for their grilled cheese.
Speaker 1: Wow, look at that.
Speaker 2: Look at that and then they eat and they're like, yeah, cheesy, Okay, what else?
Speaker 1: Is it? Perfectly toasted?
Speaker 3: Is the chese sharp? Is it? Just like cheese is a world of talking about We're talking about flavor profiles earlier, right of chocolate. I'm like cheese, wide range vocabulary we can use to describe it. And I love cheese, so I want to know more about it other than like the cheese exists on the bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is it is. I think it's basically at it so grilled to like very like grilled y. It's like been exposed to like a lot of heat, so it's like kind of more like gooey than like hard cheese. So yeah, I would say gooey too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, step it off, holes, yes, step it up, you Boordan fan.
Speaker 1: Is that like the level we're looking for, Jonathan Gold.
Speaker 3: Not even because that's something that I don't need everyone. Yeah, at that level, but I just need more than it was good. If you're going to brand yourself as a food reviewer, I need more than this was good or this was bad because I can go do that and I do like to go do that, so I don't need you're not providing me a service. If you're going to provide me a service, one more word about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or you just be like it's good but like not as good as the pictures looked as the way I think I'm great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we've sort of level set here, bomb and dank as like that was.
Speaker 2: California VA California Food Reviews.
Speaker 1: Damn it, it's really bomb. Actually, dude, this ship is dank, Like that's actually below denk. It depends, it depends dank. You know that all the dank question mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dank depends if like weed is involved or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right, yeah, Like anyone who said food was dank, ninety eight percent chance they were a weed smoker too, And then like the two percent that did it, they're like, what you don't call this bank?
Speaker 3: Did you guys both grow up in California?
Speaker 1: I grew up in La Yeah, I grew up in the valley. Okay, I grew up all over the place, but never in California.
Speaker 3: Okay. That was such a I always ask people who like grew up, at least in California, or especially in southern California, because in high school, like Bomb and Dank were such part of the vernacular of like Bomb, Dank, bust a mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, miss dude, it's a mish. Now, you guys could be making this up so to get me to agree to it and then be like.
Speaker 2: No, miss dude, go on a fucking miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you ever call like instead of saying that people were hot, like girls were hot, they were breezy?
Speaker 1: No, no, this is one thing. Yeah, was that a long beast thing?
Speaker 3: I guess I'm trying to figure out if it was a long beach thing. But it was like she's breezy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it could be aged because like I'm forty, so I'm just.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm a man.
Speaker 3: Oh I'll be thirty four in December. So it's like, I guess a couple.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, I may I may have just missed the breezy movement.
Speaker 3: But if if Bomb and Dank are still in there, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like Dank are timeless. Yeah exactly, I would just say oh yeah yeah, yeah, like we would also, what else did we say?
Speaker 1: What should we say back? Like Breeze making out scamming anything like scanning, Yeah, scamming, scamming, scamming, like, yes, scamming. I was like a robotic way we scammed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sex. At one point, I remember everyone was saying tax we taxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that really like to me, to my ears, sounds like some ship that would like have you ever watched the movie Juno and the way they talk. Everyone's like, nobody fucking talks like that. It's like, yes, no, actually they did for like a year, probably when Diablo Cody was in high school, you know, like that everybody else's high school slang sounds completely made up and fabricated text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would just say hit you know, smash you know smash typical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually do no whizz smashing this sand Also, we used to say even I remember early on, like early high school.
Speaker 1: We will still be like they did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should bring that, we should bring that back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: With Project twenty twenty five, I'm sure that we will be banned from using real descriptors so that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no language, no porn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, under his eye.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gonna be so fun. Hey, speaking of that, just real quick thing on the election, because this is something that is controversial at this moment, at least the question of, hey, what happened with election? And with ninety nine percent of votes in Donald Trump has seventy one million votes, He's gonna win the popular vote. Staggering, depressing, horrifying number that is still behind the seventy four million he got when he lost as the income in twenty twenty. I'm seeing there's this one map that a lot of people are liking to point to where it's full of red arrows, and it yeah, it's saying, look, look, every America all moved to the right. They moved so far to the right, and because they're evil everyone around you, And so that I think that's just important context that he actually got fewer votes this time around than he did last time. It is just that the Democrats got far fewer votes than they did last time, far fewer.
Speaker 2: Yea more than a right word shift. It feels like absolutely just yeah, Democrats creator yeah. So it's also the answer to like, how can you think the Democrats problem was running far too far to the right, And I think that that's your answer. They didn't do anything to turn out Democrats right, which tends to be one of one of their strategic shortcomings is that they but they did convince like forty five people that it was worth the Republicans it was worth voting for Kamala is the statistically negligible the dad and daughter Cheney show that, Yeah, trouncing around towards the home stretch forty Yeah, yeah, if they actually got fewer Republican voters than they did last time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I don't know that. I think that's just relevant context because the Democratic strategist class is going to come in and be like, America went so far to the right. We just didn't go right hard enough, right exactly, and like what we did, what we said was the right answer. It's just that you didn't listen to us enough. We should have gone. Oh, I don't know. I don't know how they could have gone further to the right. They had Dick Cheney, like, how the fuck could you have possibly done that harder?
Speaker 3: But I feel like the only difference between like Kamala and Trump this is we're being hyperbolic here, but is that like kamalawood under sentences with Sleigh where I'm like, y'all have the exact same platform, but Luckily Charlie x X called her brat, so it made it like somewhat palatable to young progressive.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think the biggest difference would have been it there. It would have been a much slower de evolution towards whatever Trump is going to bring. I think is the biggest difference. And Trump is just an absolute accelerant. But I think, if anything, what we the biggest fear with Biden was he was saying I am the I am the bridge. I am merely the bridge to a new way of doing things, and like we got on that bridge and like he crossed it, and you're like, this is this a trick a trick bridge because I crossed it and I'm on the other I'm on the side I just came from.
Speaker 1: Let me go back drawing of like a bridge, Like what fucking bridge is this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, you know, there's still there's also a lot of people being like so much there's still votes missing, and like, yeah, there are certain places where all the votes have not been tabulated yet, but they're in states that have already been decided.
Speaker 3: Like it makes me so sad, Like part of me was like because I did not no fans did not have hope that Kamala was going to win this. Like for a long time, I've been like, this is Trump is going to win this again, just like statistically speaking, and also like if we think about who's if we think about donators right to the Republican Party to the Democratic Party, it was leaning more Republican the entire time.
Speaker 2: So it's like, yeah, when other billionaires, I'm like, how'd y'all know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when when when black Rock is dumping money into the Republican candidates? Yeah, I think so. But like part of me was like, man, the next week is going to be crazy for like bluing on conspiracy theory of like they're not done counting the votes, and it's like, guys, we got it.
Speaker 2: We just I'm sorry that you can hang on to this version. But I'm like, I think we've we've seen the sort of the full predictable end of how establishment of democratic part any politics what's gonna work, and this is it.
Speaker 1: I will just say all of these are like placeholder takes until like Muller she wrote, hasn't really weighed in quite yet, and so I'm just waiting to see where we come down on that one. Ye, yeah, we'll see, Yeah, that's always But I mean.
Speaker 2: I think the other the other thing too is like, aside from our people moving to the right, I also just based on again the kinds of voters that have emerged in this like in this specific electorate, it feels that there are so many people who are just absolutely completely disconnected from politics. And I think to couple that with also just the systematic dismantling we've seen of public education over the last few decades leads us to a place where like, yeah, we have we have millions of people in this country too who just kind of check headlines, maybe see what's pop and on social media, not like digging deep. And so when you're presented with a binary of the status quo in terms of what you've known for the last few years and the other form of the status quo, people are just going, well, I think that one's different. So maybe that's the case, but I mean, yeah, that but we're I mean a lot of these people and I mean everyone unfortunately is going to bear the brunt of all of this. But like, I think there's there's just so much I already see people be like, what the fuck is wrong? With all these people and it's like, man, this problem is so much bigger than like who campaigned on what. It's like the conditions that have been created in this country sort of have created an electorate like this which are going to be susceptible to like disengagement, misinformation and the like.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, the mainstreamia, Like in case anyone was confused about like how little people are paying attention to the mainstream media. It's been pointed out the Google searches for did Joe Biden drop out were like spiking in pennsylvani Yah in like the days leading up to the election. I like one of my friends, you know, door knocking over the weekend in Arizona, and a person they talked to is like, oh, yeah, I meant to vote for them, And he was like, what what do you mean. She's like, Oh, it's over, isn't it. Like they didn't know that the election hadn't happened yet, Like I think a lot of people have just tuned the fuck out from everything, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, So, which I think, Yeah, that's what makes it even more infuriating when then, like the Harris campaign's plan is like, oh, Dick Cheney, Liz Cheney. This will break through to people when some people are like, Bro, you think I don't even know if Joe Biden is running, right, you think I'm just telling like, oh, Dick change. Yeah, a Bush's VP is oh okay mmmmmm. That's like for such a quite a broad tent miles, I think, yeah, that's for such a specific voter that only like this consultant class. Oh that they're like, this is how like I'm talking to people who were like also like semi retired millionaires basically, and like this could be a way to speak to them and again rather than talking about like just meaningful shit like can you deliver on things that affect people's again material existence?
Speaker 1: And this wasn't the case. Yeah. Also, beginning on Monday, the term who was running for president started trending.
Speaker 3: So that's the people who are like, on my homeworks do tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which that was me when I had homework. You know, Yeah, I don't know if like that homework sucks. Yeah. Other terms that were trending is Trump a Republican? Can I vote online? Should be able to? By the way that last one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, that's just that's just so I mean, because you don't. You don't search those things as like a bit you know what I mean, that's that's not a journalist.
Speaker 3: No, that's am I am I targeted. Yeah, hurry question.
Speaker 2: Pregnant, Yeah, yes you are pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think like that's why I just like again, I mean that there's so much more data to come through. I'm personally not ready for that phase of talking about it because it's still it's still trickling in. But we did, we did know these things at the very least coming up.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll finish up with some more news. We'll be right back, and we're back, and a writer, jam the lovely Canadian that he is, was this morning straining as hard as possible to find some hope here. And so what we have is Mark Robinson lost in North Carolina. I think we knew that was going to happen.
Speaker 2: God, I don't know even then, right, Yeah, I don't know. He somehow missed porn guy Black Nazi one.
Speaker 1: But no, no, he lost.
Speaker 2: He lost handily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he lost by a lot. Sarah McBride has become the first openly transgender person elected to Congress all right, that's a win. That's a win. Ten states had ballot measures to protect or expand abortion access, and seven of them the measure for abortion rights one. Yeah, including in Missouri, as we talked about on yesterday's Trending episode, first state to completely ban abortion after the Supreme Court undid row and it now become the first state to overturn the ban.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but except I mean in Florida got close, but again they had to reach a sixty percent threshold and missed it by like a couple percentage points.
Speaker 3: Which was that was interesting because I have a friend who's from Florida, and even she this morning was saying that, like it was confusing the way they had to reach a certain threshold to overturn it, but a different measure, had you read a different percentage threshold to be overturned. Yeah, is that how that works?
Speaker 1: I mean they totally that's still totally works everywhere. Yeah. Yeah. You have to have multiple thresholds for democracy to work and kind of demised so that the people on their toes. Yeah, yeah, exactly, a trail mix of thresholds, right right, right, that's an elabyrinth thing. That's all you need. But Yeah, that one was very depressing because they had raised one hundred million dollars to reverse the Florida near total ban on abortion, and they came extremely close, but because of arbitrary like institutional power in Florida, they were able to say fifty seven not enough for this version of democracy, which sucks. Florida was, you know, a place that a lot of people in the south, like in southern states, were going to get reproductive healthcare before it was banned. So yeah, that is awful. But there are some small footholds. And again we talked yesterday Rashida Talib and ilhan Omar, both one with like over seventy percent of the vote in their respective elections. Those scary beliefs and convictions they have the mainstream media tells us are incredibly unpopular, turned out not to be incredibly I mean.
Speaker 2: So much, so much, like like just basic again, stuff that helps people, like minimum wage, those kinds of things did really well. And then then they're like, ah, but maybe Trump for president. And I think that's just that it's so revealing about like people can connect the dots for that, like oh, should I make more money? Yes, but then when but then again when you have like all this slick campaigning stuf that just kind of completely misses the mark of like connecting people to what you can or can't do. I mean, in this case, like I you know, even kamala Is like primary candidacy wasn't quite as you know, progressive at least for my taste, but even like but even to see her shrink from that and just listen to whoever was you know, she she inherited from the Biden campaign to be like, let's fucking pretend you never even said stuff like single payer like universal health care. Let's just completely avoid that or just be really mum on like transgender people's you know, right to have like gender affirming uh like medical care, like just just just about that rather.
Speaker 1: Criticized Trump for supporting gender affirming care prisoner.
Speaker 2: Truly, that's what was so sort of fucked up, especially to watch, like, you know, during the World series, you get these weird Trump ads or just like kamalas for the trans people, and you're like, these, this is how you're setting up the stakes for people, and like that was so uncomfortable to fucking watch. But yeah, I mean now yeah this this we're here now and we're here. Yeah, it's it's again. It's just so fucking difficult, like this is still hasn't even twenty four hours, no, like sitting with this like reality. So again, like I apologize on the other pisode, I'm sorry if I'm not as articulate as I can because I'm just kind of like trying to stave off just like being fully like nihilistic about everything or like more so than than normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, did either of you watch the election results like on TV? Rachel, did you watch on TV? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I went to a bar right watch right, so I was there. I'm actually done sorry, Miles. By the ads during the World Series, I like and maybe it's because I'm not in the sports world, but even like if I tune in to watch the Super Bowl and there's ads for God, I'm always like, y'all believe it in this This is crazy? Like how how how cool that you're doing that? That's so nuts. But it's like that that is totally the number one fear bongering tactic, right is like all your kids are going to be trans now, they're also going to go fight in Ukraine, and we're fighting for you to feed them raw milk. At home on your own educational system.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, exactly, exactly. Yeah, although Jesus was pretty breezy, yeah, so crazy, yeah, breezy for this one. If you met this breezy h Rachel on the Daily Geist. Where can people find you? Follow you, experience your comedy, all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm at Rachel Friedland r A C H E l E. Actually at the end Friedland the words for land together on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, you'll find me a love it. I have a comedy album now called Certified Delight, which I am in which it is so please go stream that where you stream things nice.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: I would just shout out that YouTube channel again, mister Sean Munger. He's really been putting out the content that I like, the three hour videos that I will sit, you know, digest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait to check them out. Miles, where can people find you as their working media? You've been enjoying? Twitter?
Speaker 2: Instagram at Miles of Gray basketball talk that's Miles and Jack mad Boosties. I escape watching ninety Day Fiance. You can join me and Sophia Alexandra on our other podcast for Twenty Day Fiance.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Tweet I like anything. I don't know, what's the Simpsons assumption? Oh, Joey Cliff at Joey Tainment just tweeting. He said in retrospect, I chose the worst possible day to go to Disneyland.
Speaker 1: Oh and this is the day after election. Yeah, that's that. Who knows.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe maybe the vibes are okay there. I don't know, but you can't maybe you can't see the people crying through their costumes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Tweet I've been enjoying was from at the film Drunk, who tweeted, my friend got out of Anora around the same time Trump one Pennsylvania. And it's a screencap of a tweet that says, oh my god. And they're responding, go, I know, and they say Honora was so good. I'm like, wait, what I do hear good things about from the filmmaker behind Florida project in Tangerine supposed to be a good one. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist. On Instagram, we have a Facebook fan page on a website daily zeikeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we I think you might enjoy, Miles, is there a song that you say people might enjoy? Good? Yeah, there's this.
Speaker 2: There's this artist from Dublin named It's pronounced Femi, but it's spelled F three m III and it's like really cool, like you know, electronic, the electro poppy kind of music. It's really cool, like has like a musical background like in gospel, but this music is really cool. It's called That's One Word and it's lost without Maria. So check that out by Femi F three.
Speaker 1: M i I. There you go. We will link off to that in the footnote. For all these guys is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, Yeah, or wherever you get your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all then fight bye