Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Where he's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm, And by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 1: The Red Seeds Rising Up, timperaturizing vision, flurring rage, take it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvis.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you ab ready And Ron Wilfleeve it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: Leash the fjord.
Speaker 4: Right out of the gates.
Speaker 3: We quote Cardinals starting center Yelda Froholt from earlier today, Ron Wolflair, you can call him fro by the way, That's what all the fellows call him.
Speaker 1: Here's That's what I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 3: Quote I'm ready, I'm ready to kick off the season. Camp is always fun. The first couple of weeks and then dot dot dot Yelder didn't finish the sentence, so I will allow me to finish the sentence. Then the first depth chart comes out. Then the first game and time is running out. So you get the Mando urgency and you get the intensity. And that's why you've seen multiple training camp fights and fisticuffs, the skirmishes and scuffles all this week. Whether it's the Raiders and Rams, Ravens versus Commanders, Cowboys versus Cowboys, You've seen fights everywhere across the NFL landscape because these guys realize I better go down swinging and figuraedly to make a fifty three man roster.
Speaker 4: Am I wrong? Ron Wolfley?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, Paul. I mean, this is something that's gonna happen right here, and it is training camp. This goes on in training camp. You can never ever accept it if it happens in a game. You selfish dude, How could you possibly do that? Cost us fifteen yards in a game. I'm talking about in a regular season game. In a preseason game, You're gonna get fined, you could get suspended. It's just a selfish act. But in training camp, PAULI, you're gonna see it. It's gonna happen, all right.
Speaker 3: So a little bit later, we're gonna ask Jonathan Ledbetter, Cardinals defensive lineman. Oh, by the way, running first team on the first depth chart, Jonathan Ledbetter, We'll ask him all about camp. We'll ask him how close he's been to get into a camp fight. We'll ask him about the culture shock, everything that goes into this camp under Jonathan Gannon. And now you have a Cardinals team coming off a preseason win. Ron Wolfley car Over Denver eighteen seventeen. Give me a few initial likes. What did you like about that game and that w you know what pull?
Speaker 1: First of all, I would say the gap integrity. Yeah, I'm going to use the word gap integrity of the words I should say, because that's exactly what it was across the board, from edge to edge. I thought it was excellent when the starters were in, When the starters were in in that first quarter, I thought they did an excellent job against what I think is going to be a team that is really going to try to run the ball and become a run first team to actually use Russell Wilson and all of his talents. They need to put him in a balanced offense. And to me, I think the Denver Broncos and p Ryan an excellent running back. I think they're going to attack the line of scrimmage a lot of what the Arizona Cardinals I suspect them to do offensively, I think Sean Payton and the Denver Broncos are going to do so. I loved how they competed on the line of scrimmage defensively. That was ball.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like it. You're right.
Speaker 3: Too many times, too often did we hear the words gap integrity after the Cardinals gave up more than one hundred yards rushing. You're right, because look, there're gonna be games where the opponent beats you, and they might beat you with more talent, and that's probably gonna happen at times this season. But it's very different than beating yourself. And too often it was Cardinals beating Cardinals, whether it was the lack of gap integrity, whether it was pre snap penalties which oh, by the way, we only saw one of those, We only saw four flags. Overall, it was amazingly clean and efficient in so many different ways that that debut, and to me, that's not nothing. I think it symbolizes the attention to detail. It reinforces how little things are big things in the NFL. In fact, here's Jonathan Gannon this week as to you know what, there's a lot to like, there's a lot to correct from the Denver tay, but the players are looking at it.
Speaker 6: I'm really enthused about our guys wanting to get better off of that tape, you know, the first time, different schemes, different players are going against and just trying to improve our game. Kind of like I said after the game there, the most important thing from the tape is you learn from it.
Speaker 3: And there's no doubt there are teaching moments, no question about it. But in terms of an initial debut and not knowing what to expect, even things like tackling Wolf right, I mean, how many times a preseason opener Tackling's atrocious? Even that was clean for the most part.
Speaker 1: Paul, you just cannot overstate how important it is to get this live action, this live tape when the Silks are on, to actually get it into a room, whatever position room that is, and teach off of it. Man, when you're laying a new foundation schematically and philosophically. Paul, how important do you think it is teaching off that tape when you are laying that new foundation. It is absolutely huge. And it doesn't matter who you are. It doesn't matter if you're a starter in that room, if you're the fourteen guy in that room, it doesn't matter every one of you. Maybe you're the third team guy out there executing it. Maybe you got the red dot on you, maybe you don't know if you're gonna make the team or not. It doesn't matter, because coach is gonna coach off what you did, and he's gonna teach everyone else what is acceptable and what is not. He's gonna use good examples, and he's gonna use negative examples as well. But you teach and you learn big time off that first tape.
Speaker 3: And oh, by the way, you won the game, right, I mean, yeah, you did something that I think it just helps the buy in with a new head coach in a new scheme, a new system, a new way of going about football. You won at home, something you haven't done enough of the last couple of years. You won at the very end of the game making some smart decisions a clean game winning drive, so you know you did it with a balanced offense for the most part.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: In fact, it was it was Dennis Gardick who said after the game, you know what, we kept the game plan simple. Okay, we're not even game planning for the opponent. The real objective was to go out there and quote establish an identity. And I think the Cardinals did that in a lot of ways, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they did, Paully, But you know what, you just said something there really caught my attention as well. Think of that last possession. Think of that David blau at quarterback, Think of that last possession with ninety seconds to go, Paully a minute thirty, and think about being able to teach everybody off that situation right there. How critical was that? You know what? It would not surprise me if Drew Petsing would have had the entire offense sit in one meeting room to watch that ninety seconds right there, because of the opportunity of going up tempo two minute here we go, and the way David Blaw in the Cardinals offense executed that to get down the field and actually score that touchdown. Man, I gotta tell you. That is a great teaching moment right there, as is the two point conversion.
Speaker 3: We saw a couple of undrafted rookie tight ends getting involved in the preseason debut Blake Whiteheart, Joel Huntingford. Of course, those guys are fighting to make the team. At the top of the depth chart in the tight end room has been former pro bowler zach Ertz. And guess what he was cleared to practice today coming off the pup list after knee surgery. And here's starting quarterback Colt McCoy on the return of zach Ertz.
Speaker 7: It was just great to see him out of practice today, right. He got a little bit of routes on air and looks fantastic. So I think just, you know, slowly building him up and getting him back going a little bit is going to be a big boost for all of us for sure.
Speaker 3: Now, look, he's not going eleven on eleven, he's not expected to go Saturday night. But week one at Washington zach Ertz on that field, that's looking more promising by the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, if I were zach Er two man, I'd want to get one rep in in the preseason, Paul, I'd want to get one, maybe two, Paul, there, I say three if I would want to get a couple of reps before the game actually begins and is real week one and you know, to me, that's just me. But zach Ertz knows his body a lot better than I do. What I love about this right here, PAULI is if in fact the Arizona Cardinals are in games, and I think they will be in games. I do because I think their offensive line is going to be better than most people gives them credit for. And because of that, I think they'll be in games. And I think we're going to see a ton a ton of twelve personnel, maybe the majority of the personnel groups will be twelve two tight ends in rundown situation first and ten second, and one to six because of zach Ertz, because he's going to be the move tight end in my opinion. Now, they're going to mix it up between eleven and twelve, There's no doubt about that. But zach Ertz is going to be out on the field a lot, and especially out of twelve personnel, I like the fact they can still run the ball more effectively than they can out of eleven.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia last year among the league leaders in twelve personnel. Cleveland Drew Petsing where he was a year ago, led the NFL in thirteen personnel.
Speaker 4: Ye, so I agree with you.
Speaker 3: It's coming a lot of tight ends, and that tight end room, just like the O line room, I think is better than many forecast. If zach Ertz, Trey McBride, Jeff Swain, and one of the camp surprises Noah Tongi I can all stay healthy, that's a pretty decent rotation. And when you factor in play action, how many times do you expect to see play action? Maybe the linebackers suck up just enough for an experienced guy like zach Ertz to find room in that coverage. Right in that scheme exactly, I can see Cole McCoy using zach Ertz as his security blanket in him getting eight to ten targets in a game.
Speaker 1: Easy doubt about it. Poly Seriously, I say amen to that right there. And I'm also really looking forward to an eleven personnel group because I don't know how much you can lean on zach Ertz. Eleven personal, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers with Jeff Swain as your tight end. That looks an awful lot like how this Cardinal offense did with Max Williams. And that's important for balance in Rundown.
Speaker 3: Hey, reminder the day Patch podcast. I mean it's up what within the last twenty four hours Cardinals defensive coordinator Nick Rowllis. Just go to wherever you get your podcast, your preferred podcast provider or via Twitter at pashpod. And by the way, Nick Rollis's defense is going to get the Kansas City Chiefs number ones for a half. That is according to Andy Reid, that's Patrick Mahomes and company. They're going to go the entire first half on Saturday Night before they mix in the twos and threes in the third quarter. According to Andy Reid, Jonathan Ledbetter straight ahead. As we continue with the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 7: Out of the gun, poor man rush.
Speaker 3: Here comes a trail woods or blow on the move to his right, looking survey throwing.
Speaker 4: He's got a man foot corner of the.
Speaker 3: En zone, jumped inside the pylon and it's a Cardinals touchdown.
Speaker 4: David Flow go into the far side of the end zone on the money to Brian Tom go for two. Let's do it two seconds to go in the game. This is the two point conversion.
Speaker 3: Cardinals trail seventeen sixteen blow inside handoff Demerricado trying the right side.
Speaker 4: Moving the pile into the end zone.
Speaker 3: Two point conversion of Mariy deMercado muffless his way across the goal line.
Speaker 1: He has stopped three yards short and just keeps churning.
Speaker 8: That is a hempo setting, tone setting type of victory that we're witnessing.
Speaker 1: Right here and a great, great opportunity for every one in this organization to learn from.
Speaker 3: Ill tell you as far as preseason games go, run wollefully, no complaints, No complaints in the radio booth. I know you and Dave Pash when Hollywood, you guys are on in the TV booth going National and NFL Network. But hey man, in terms of drama and keeping you know, everyone engaged right to the final moments of a preseason game. Forget about the sunflower seeds and putting your hat on backwards. I mean, there was a game to go out and be one and that's what the Cardinals did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that, Polly once again, the fact they had ninety seconds to go down the field and that's what David Blou did, and you orchestrated an excellent drive down the field. They scored the touchdown. But what I really loved is the fact that Drew Petsing, Oh, Drew Petsig, you go eleven personnel, one back, one tight end in three wide receivers on this two point conversion, and then you run the ball right between the tackles. There's something we can read in to the personality of Drew Petsing right there. And I love the fact that he said eleven personnel, which typically says at that point, here comes a pass, here it comes No, they ran the ball and they got that thing in with a little help from his friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know what it makes me wonder? Well two things.
Speaker 3: Number One didn't take long for the Cardinals offense to live up to that classic JG quote cram the ball vertical, because they did it for a game winning two point conversion.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: He then used two more words this week that I also wrote down. Wolf right next to cram the ball vertical was the one who used this week create displacement when talking about the old lineing he wants to see create displacement. I love that one too. That's going down on the JG sheet. But then in addition to that, it was just it was that identity that Gardex spoke of to go out and actually come up with a game winner. I just think it's so important. And then you come out and guess what you get into a game week? And that's what Jonathan Gannon has done with Kansas City on the schedule. Taking the Cardinals outside in the heat. I'm here to tell you it is warm out there, even a media pencil necks standing on the sideline in the shade. I'm getting dehydrated, muscler much less of these players. So Cole McCoy this week was talking about how the new head coach was just shaping this week leading up to Saturday night and the Chiefs.
Speaker 7: I think what's coach s Gannon has done this week with us is really treat this like a game week, not necessarily from scouting the Chiefs or putting a game plan together for them, but more importantly, what's your process? You know, what days are you watching? What tapes? Third downs, red zone? Like, get into your routine and what it's going to be like, get with your coaches to understand, hey, I want to have these looks by this time of day on you know, on Wednesday or whatever.
Speaker 3: Everything's new. You have new coordinators, you have a new head coach, there's a new way of doing things. So okay, you try and settle in, and you know it is Wolf, right. Guys are creatures of habit, and they want to know what the expectations are come week one, going into Washington, and so, okay, you're setting the vibe now because next week you're going to joint practices and the week after that is Labor Day and you're making final roster cuts. So this is the week that resembles the regular season.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about that, Paul, it really is. And also remember this too, the fact that they've gone to three preseason games. I think eventually this is just me Paul. They're going to two preseason games at some point in time. But the fact that they're at three preseason games right now, that really puts a ton of emphasis on the second preseason game. It used to be the third preseason game, isn't that right, Dennis Green. Everybody knows about the third preseason game. That's when coaches typically would run their starters out into the field. And Andy Reid was actually talking about that very thing this week, and the fact that he might actually have his Kansas City Chiefs go out and actually play a half. Now, not all of them, of course, Patrick Mahomes. I would doubt Patrick Mahomes is going to play a half. But the second preseason game is now taking on this new import because you only play three. And it doesn't surprise me that JG is trying to turn this into Okay, this is a little dry run of what our regular season schedule is going to be like.
Speaker 4: And you're right.
Speaker 3: Andy Reid did tell the media today that his Ones will go for the first half, but as the media also cites in Kansas City, Andy Reid is notorious for overpromising and under delivering in regards to preseason playing time. For example, last week, he said the Ones will get the entire first quarter, and he pulled most of them after the first drive.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Did they score on that first drive, Polly, I don't know, I can't remember.
Speaker 4: I don't think they did.
Speaker 3: I think they went the length of the field, and then I'm not sure they got into the end zone.
Speaker 1: Well, it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: He pulled yeah, yeah, Derek Carr and the Saints, who are much more intent. I'm putting on a show and that preseason opener. But look, doesn't matter if you're if you're any number of Cardinals players, you're getting the World champions, and you're gonna get him for a half at least the ones. And they didn't show very well against New Orleans, so you figure they're gonna be intent and at least bringing some intensity on Saturday Night, which means, okay, the offensive line going against that Kansas City front. And you know what DJ Humphreys will see if he goes, because I think there was a lot to be noticed by the guys who did not play right by design. Whether you're Buddha Baker, James Connor, Kaizer, White, DJ Humphries, these are a few of the made men on this roster that did not go.
Speaker 4: We'll see if d J.
Speaker 3: Humphries does go on Saturday Night. He was talking to the media this week, well and check this out. He was asked about the toughest, meanest offensive linemen in the group.
Speaker 4: Don't let the smile fool you, man, It's definitely mean.
Speaker 8: Now Will probably probably will Will or big more like I said, Pass definitely has a little little a hole in'll you know what I mean, He'll take you to the ground and like lay on you a little bit. So that's got love seeing that from him. And that's his nature too. It's not that we have to jazz him up to do that. That's like who he is. We have to let the one one phrase I used to love from Ba all the times that we'd rather say wold than sick them, and like that's that's Paris m modo.
Speaker 4: Both of those guys are a wold guy.
Speaker 3: That's one of the best things I heard all week. Now, Will Hernandez, we know he's got a mean streak. Marquise Hayes, the backup guard out of Oklahoma who was good for starting to fight every other day of training camp last year, we know that. In fact, West Jonathan led better. Next about Mark, he says, we'll get into that a little bit. But when when they when you wear DJ say that the number six pick overall, Paris Johnson Junior has that sort of attitude and willingness to finish a guy off snap after snap. I mean that's got to bode pretty well, right, No.
Speaker 1: That does, Paulie, there's no doubt about that. But I just want to quickly. I have to rank get I have to get my own rank right here. Okay, Hump is at this point of his career. He still a dog, full on dog, big time, but he's got so much talent and he can use that talent, right Will Hernandez no offense against Will, but he doesn't have the feat that DJ Humphreys has and because of that, so much of the time, Will's got to get into a fistfight, and he does. He does. Remember this, Pali, Will Hernandez fought JJ Watt JJ Watts last year in the NFL. Never forget that, Paul, the fact that he actually went to blows with him. Right there, that's Will Hernandez and that's who he is. So I agree with Hump and what he said. Hump of course a closed second Moe definitely a guy that will throw it. But Paris Johnson Junior, to hear him his name actually invoked by DJ Humphries, that makes me feel really really good because I respect DJ so much.
Speaker 3: Saying on our podcast Cardinals Underground, d J Humphries and Paris Johnson Junior are very similar in that regard, very intelligent, very outgoing, gregarious personalities, great smiles, but on game day, totally different, dude, totally different. And that's what Paris Johnson Junior is known for at Ohio State. In fact, he told us about it on an episode of The Big Red Rage in the off season that it's about a twenty four hour process, a transformation where he becomes a savage by kickoff, and it was it was really fascinating to hear him go through that because even his mom cited that on draft night said, he's a gentle giant until you kick the ball off.
Speaker 1: Paul, I know that. I know that kind of transformation. Paul I do. I'm not trying to say look at me, but man, I guarantee you for four hours before a game. And it was it actually started much much sooner than that. But those last four hours I was in the locker room, in the locker room getting ready the ball out. Oh my goodness, I know what that transformation is so real quick.
Speaker 3: The one offensive lineman who actually went viral after the first preseason game was yelled a fro hol at the starting center. Yes he bodies lam Zach Allen and then got out against a corner and flatten hum on a screen. Would you make of the center, because obviously that was a big question mark in the offseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved his physicality. I love the way he moved as well, Pauly, didn't you. I mean he was moving around right there. I was really impressed with that. But most importantly, it's the fact he knows this offense so well, and that is going to expedite the process of every other offensive lineman and that offensive line getting better.
Speaker 4: It's a great point.
Speaker 3: Only four career starts at center, but he's had a lot of starts at guard, so he knows offensive line play and he knows the offense. To your point, Yes, and then combined with a fourteen years experience of Cole McCoy, you got to figure they're going to be able to diagnose any front that they're going to throw at the Cardinals offense. Hey, single game tickets on sale now. Go to Aisycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure.
Speaker 4: Your seats today.
Speaker 3: D Lineman Jonathan Ledbetter next on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford.
Speaker 4: In Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Second and seven play action, ripman steps up, hit and sacked.
Speaker 4: It's Ledbetter that gets him at the thirty yard line. A loss of seven.
Speaker 9: Great leader, great teammate, great locker room guy. In the run game, he's excellent technician, plays really well with his hands. He's strong at the point of attack.
Speaker 4: If he gets a.
Speaker 9: Double team, he can incher it down. He's not getting moved. If he gets a single block, he can play primary a secondary gap, and he's pushing the pocket in the pass games.
Speaker 3: Defensive coordinator Nick Rowlis with some props and praise for our special guest tonight on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Fordying Gilbert. You heard the highlight there from the game at Denver late last season. Let's see here, six tackles, tackle for loss, quarterback hit, first career full sack for Jonathan Ledbetter is our guest tonight, and he most definitely just finished a practice.
Speaker 1: That one.
Speaker 3: Let me give you props and praise because there's a media pencil next standing standing in the shade. I could barely take the heat. What's it like practicing out there in the Arizona Triple Digits.
Speaker 5: Man, it's definitely definitely hot out there. We're just getting back in the grind and kind of used to things being in the heat. You know, whole training camp. We were kind of in our stadium inside in the air conditioning, so it definitely feels a little bit different. But like I said, you gotta go out there, You got to grind. You just got to kind of feel those elements and it pushes you to be a better player. So you just got to embrace it.
Speaker 3: Hey, whatever the joint practices at Minnesota throw at you next week, easy, right, whatever Washington is all about. Week one, nothing compared to what you guys got this week.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I think it was like one to ten by like nine o'clock.
Speaker 3: So are you one of those guys who loses a lot of weight from the beginning to the end of practice.
Speaker 4: I am, So I've been having to eat. Man.
Speaker 5: We weighed in today and I actually, man, I cooked last night, so I was like, I didn't want to eat too late, but I was like, man, I've probably lost like six pounds, so I was underweight actually, so it was okay, But I lose a bunch of weight just through sweat, just kind of fluctuated.
Speaker 4: I've always been like that since college.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna save this cooking debate until later. But since you brought it up, your teammate in the.
Speaker 4: D line room.
Speaker 8: L J.
Speaker 3: Collier took exception with apparently something you told media member Camcox twelve News about your abilities in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Here's l J. Collier, Jonathan Ledbetter. Haven't cooked anything we go out to eat.
Speaker 5: If anything, I feel like if anybody is the best cooking the D line room, it's me.
Speaker 4: I make one hell of a steak. Shout out to trager Man. Okay, so he's flexing his ability to grill a steak. Yeah, the only steak he grew is still in his freezer. So he told us. He told us he was gonnavite everybody over to come to the pool and he was like, I'm buying steak.
Speaker 5: So I'm buying chicken wings and we just didn't make it. So I think it's still in his freezer or it's in the trash. Well, that's what camp's all about. You got to prove it right exactly every day. Yeah, what's it been like in that D line room? Let me ask you this, how have you guys been treating Dante still's the sixth round rookie? Because some of the stories I'm hearing not at the old line room, I mean the demands.
Speaker 3: The you know of pairs Johnson Junior and John Gaines, guys like Kelvin Beacham making him cut the sandwiches into triangles. I mean, it's like unnecessarily harsh. I mean, how do you guys treating Dante Steels these days?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: We got two rooks right now. So we got Dante Stiles and Jacob slid Man, and they've been great. Man, they haven't had to do too much. We're kind of a laid back group. You know, I think the oldest guy in the room, I'm not even the oldest guy in year five, but I think the oldest guy is Carlos, so you know, he's only in year six or seven. So, you know, we keep it cool, man. We don't make them do too much. We did a sprite challenge, like they had to drink a whole sprite without like you know, burping or breathing in our meeting room. So that was a little joke we did. And then they just did their little rookie skit. So they went up and sang and and Dante did pretty good. Jacob tried to sing something from SpongeBob and everybody was not having it, so he got booed pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Did anybody steal the rookie the Rookie Town Show? Who is the best dude?
Speaker 5: I would say Dante and John John. John was really good. He actually was singing his heart out up there.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was singing. He was he got he's got a voice.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, it's interesting. DJ Humphreys was asked early in camp about the culture shift that Jonathan Gannon has brought as the head coach, and DJ cut off the interviewer and you know what, it's really been more like a culture shot shock.
Speaker 4: How would you describe man? I love him.
Speaker 5: I love I love his energy, just how he approaches practice and approaches situations and just everything in the game. Like it's clear and concise, so you know what you're doing, but not only that, you know why you're doing it. And I think that's the most important thing for you know, athletes and football players, especially in the professional roun you kind of get a better understanding of the game. You know, everybody's good, everybody's fast, everybody's strong, but it's that edge, that you know, mental edge that gives you the you know, up one on your opponents. And he emphasizes that as he coaches and as he teaches, and and he's literally like one of the guys, so like, it's so cool. You go out there, you'd be like, bro, like, what are you seeing here? He's like, no, Bro, what are you seeing here? And then we talk and you know, you just kind of move forward from that, and you know, not all coaches are like that, So it's definitely. You know, I'm grateful to have them here, and I know all the guys are as well, and we're excited to get things rolling.
Speaker 4: Man, it's it's been great.
Speaker 3: Look, this Cardinals team a year ago led the NFL in pre snap penalties. Little things are big things in a league where more than half the games are decided by a single touchdown or less, so those little things can add up over the course of a game. There's no doubt Jonathan ledbetter as our guest defensive line in Arizona Cardinals. Have you been held accountable by JG?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 3: Seems like everyone has a story where JG called him out and either corrected them or put them on the spot.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think two years ago I actually had to play in the game, or actually last year I had to play in a game where I was aligned off sides and for now, for us, that's a non negotiable. So you know that's literally like that does not happen. You know, that's a pre snap thing that you can control. We're always emphasized and control of the controllables, and you know, do what you can to prevent, you know, things from happening bad to the team, and like you can't align off sides, no illegal formations, no illegal shifts, just things like that, you know, just to make you better as a player, just so you're smart, you know, you got to be aware.
Speaker 3: So the first official depth chart came out last week and you're running first team.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, how big? How big a deal is that?
Speaker 5: Man? Well, if anybody that knows me, you know, I'm a journeyman and you know, so I've been up and down in the league. You know, I was undrafted, and it's just a blessing. You know that my hart work is finally you know, being able to give some being given some credit. And you know, I'm just blessed. And I know I got to go out there every day and continue to earn that starting spot. And you know, I'm grateful for my coaching staff that they believe in me. It just makes me want to go out there and play that much harder for them and the guys.
Speaker 3: Jonathan led better. I guess you were a team captain at Georgia your senior year, right, I mean, yes, you were second team All SEC. We saw the game you put together at Denver. We heard the highlight, we saw the box score. How much upside do you think you still have in this league?
Speaker 5: I think I'm just getting started, you know. I've been kind of grinding my way to get where I am now, to just get on the field.
Speaker 4: You know, I got to.
Speaker 5: Arizona, I ended up playing one game under Cliff in my first year, and then I was on kind of practice squad the rest of the year. And the last year I kind of was able to put some stuff on tape and you know, string some good games together and continue to, you know, do whatever the team needed to be me to be as a role player. And I still believe I am the role player. You know, I'm always going to be that. Whatever the team needs, whatever my guys need for me, I'm going to be there and do it for them.
Speaker 3: You know, because you know what everyone said about this defensive line room all off season, The narrative was something like this For media pencil necks like me. There were thirty six sacks by the Cardinals defense. Exactly half of them walked out the door. In JJ Watt and Zach Allen. There's a lot for that d line room to prove, isn't there? And what do you do I mean, as a group, where do you think this this team is headed on along that defensive front, because we know how demoralizing it is. If you can't get to the quarterback, if you can't stop the run, it's gonna be a long night.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely. You know, we've been working hard.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Like I said, everybody in our room has a chip on their shoulder. You know, everyone has a story, everyone's you know, had a background. And I think those are the teams that end up actually surprising people, you know. And I don't really care what people thing. I don't really care about the media. I believe in myself. I believe in my guys, and I believe in this organization. And we work hard every day. We go out there to push ourselves, you know, and our coach puts us in the best possible position to win.
Speaker 4: And you know, at the end of the day. You got to go out there and do just that. You gotta win.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna we're gonna do what we need to do as a team and continue to elevate. And you know, we did lose Ac, that was my guy. We lost JJ two and you know they're two great players, you know. But we got a great room, and like I said, I believe in every single person in there, and I know that we're gonna get the job done.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you're close with LJ.
Speaker 1: Collair.
Speaker 5: I'm close with all the guys, so we're all close, man. But yeah, there's my due. We actually played in the senior ball together when we came.
Speaker 3: I get it, Okay, okay, I mean it sounds like he's got something to prove as a former first round pick.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, And man, we're working together so that everybody can prove it. Man, everybody can eat. You know, there's enough food at the table for everybody to have their full What do you think of Nick Rowlis so far? Talking to some of the coaches, they're like, you know what one more than Nick Rowl's your defensive coordinator, assassin, Like, wow, he's aggressive, isn't it he is?
Speaker 4: He is man. I love playing like that. Man.
Speaker 5: It gives you chances, it gives you opportunities, and it's not so much as you know, a defense that's just clear cut, like he's like, hey, like what do you see? What do you feel? Let's do this so you can do this. Let's free you up right here, you know, just just any opportunity to allow you to go play football how you play it. He's trying to give you that. And like I said, the understanding of the game itself is what they teach, not only scheme. So it's just like a breath of fresh air because you're kind of getting it on two ends and you're like, okay, well I understand this, so now I can go do this within the scheme. And that's really cool because you know, some places, you know, it's just like hey, go straight do this, you know, and that's it.
Speaker 4: You know, just do your job.
Speaker 5: But here, it's like we got a really smart room, so we're able to put more stuff on our guys on the D line and our outside linebackers too, you know, be able to draw things up and dial things up to make it fun and be aggressive and attack.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jonathan, that defensive line was disruptive in the preseason opener. You guys were in the backfield quite a bit. You guys were hitting, harassing Russell Wilson. Now you get Kansas City, Andy Reid says, the starter is gonna play most of the first half. They're known for having one of the better interior old lines in the NFL.
Speaker 4: You like that, You like that when you get to go against the starters.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I was actually mad that we didn't get to play. You know, I'm always, like I said, I've been the underdog guy. So you know, preseason for me is like you're playing all preseason. So it's just different this year. You know, I only played a couple of snaps in the beginning, and like, once I got started, I was like, man, coach, I want some more, you know, And like all the guys are like that. Man, everybody's hungry. Like I said, it's that chip on their shoulders. So you know, even this preseason game, I'm treating like a real game.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm going out there and I'm putting stuff on tape that I know that i need to work on and to prepare myself to be ready for the season.
Speaker 4: And everybody on this team and on the squad is doing just that.
Speaker 3: How close have you been to get into a fight in camp? Come on, now there's been O line D line guys hot, they're getting shippy.
Speaker 5: I'm usually the guy like last year, like I'm the reason, like we had a whole team fight, like in the indoor, like the O line D line, Like I was probably the reason that erupted. This year, I've been trying to be a better leader for the guys, So I say I've been the guy like breaking up the fight, trying to go out there and everybody down to be the mediator, because I know once I go, I'm going like somebody's got to get me. So I'm just trying to make sure everybody's cool. And you know, we're all family. So even in stuff that happens out there, man, we we squash it.
Speaker 4: We come back.
Speaker 5: We know football is a chippy game and we love each other man. Like it's just it's always done and always left on the field before we come back.
Speaker 7: In the locker room.
Speaker 4: Okay, what can you tell us about last year? What happened?
Speaker 3: Were you trying it was a by design? We're trying to make a statement. You're trying to get noticed by the coaches or you're.
Speaker 5: Actually doing one on ones. And I think I was going against MO and the first rep I won, and you know, like you just get a little chippy in there, man, and you know you trash talking talking smack, and you know what, He's like, Oh, let's run it back. And I'm like, man, you're a rook man. You don't get to run it back, you know what, an older guy. So you know, we run it back. And he actually had a good rep.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: He actually stopped me kind of like when I was trying to throw my swipe and the rep was over and they blew the whistle. But he tried to keep driving and keep going and try to take me to the ground.
Speaker 4: And I got up.
Speaker 5: Man, I just start swinging cause I'm just like, yo, man, like we don't go to the ground. Like what's was blown, it's over, plays dead. And as soon as I got up and swung on him, I'm not gonna lie. I saw JJ he just came out of nowhere and literally speared him and then everything erupted. They cut the clip, they cut everything, and everything erupted.
Speaker 4: We canceled. Practice was over. Practice was over.
Speaker 3: You probably got you probably got thanks in the locker room, and I gotta chewed out too, who was one of the other the players. It was great for the coaches, not so much. I'm actually shocked Marquise Hayes has not started a fight yet in this camp. I'm actually shocked by that because.
Speaker 5: Man, he's he's been working on his discipline and he's been working on getting better.
Speaker 4: I love that kid.
Speaker 5: He's he's he's he's big, he's strong, and when he puts everything together, it looks good.
Speaker 4: Hey, we look forward to what preseason game number two. We look forward to the joint practices next week in Minnesota. Be nothing like Arizona. I mean, you gotta be totally easy. Jonathan, thank you for the time. I appreciate you guys, thanks for having me. There we go.
Speaker 3: Jonathan led Better on the big red rage presented by santan forward in Gilbert Fack. Right after this, Jared stood him in the gon to the year after a play action fig on the move throws and it's broken up nearly picked off by key Trell Clark.
Speaker 4: And you want to evaluate guys. You want to be able to see what they can do. Can they play his own?
Speaker 1: Can they play man Key Tell Clark is the guy that they are very high on.
Speaker 4: Key Trail Clark is looking very comfortable out there in this circumstance. I love what I'm seeing from.
Speaker 1: Him right now.
Speaker 10: I really say that it's a it's a good energy going around the room. At the end of the day, we all know that we're competing to play on the field and only two corners can be out there at the same time. But there's no hate or anything. We all want to make each other better and we're just gonna continue to just strive to be our best sales every day. And you know, when the game day comes, we'll know who'll be out.
Speaker 3: There six round rookie Key Trell Clark, who sons like anything but a rookie. I mean, you talk about precocious. That was part of the postgame interview with Drew stan youers truly ron Mopefully. Here we are on the Big Red Rage presented by sand tan Ford in Gilbert Special thanks to Jonathan Ledbetter. That was some good stuff about play by play of him starting that fight with Marquise Hayes a year ago. Right, so he's been on his p's and q's this time around, but the fight at cornerback Wolf and to hear Keith Trell Clark later in that interview, he took us through a play by play of what he saw leading up to the pass breakup, and Drew Stan looked at me and like, raise both eyebrows. He's like, that is next level analysis for a rookie corner. So if he's thinking the game already at that level, no wonder he's making run at a starting corner spot just considering. Guess what, everything is wide open at that position group, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it, Paully. It's a great position room to actually get the opportunity to go play that dB room, that corner back room right there, and he is getting that opportunity. I love what I'm seeing from him. He's got some swag to him, Polly, which I really like. He's very, very confident, and that's great. But can I just say right now, that's where rookie corners are gonna be coming into the LEA because you can't play cornerback and try to play cornerback in the NFL unless you've got an awful lot of confidence. What happens, and this is just me, what happens when suddenly you go out and Pat Mahomes lights you up. You know, how do you respond? Then after that? That really is going to be the key for key Trout Clark.
Speaker 3: We saw Anteonio Hamilton come in the second half now but the ultra veteran and he immediately has a pick, almost had a second. Yes, he ended up with that pass interference penalty call against him, but there was nearly a sack on that play that would have saved him. Then there's Christian Matthew, the second year, seventh rounder. I mean his size and his ability to really stay close with the receivers in camp. You saw it again in the game. So Nick rollis the defensive coordinator, met the media today and he was asked about how that cornerback competition is shaping up.
Speaker 9: Great competition, guys that are locked in and improving every day. I'm seeing a lot of growth. I'm seeing the competition get really tight, but also a room that is together, and those guys, when I see each other, get better and are pushing each other. And I'm happy with the progress. We got a lot more progress to make, but I'm excited over the next However, many weeks I camp we have left to see who really steps in and takes certain roles.
Speaker 3: There were two media finds earlier this week. There's the third because that's actually from the Dave Pash podcast. Right there, Nick rowllis visiting with Dave some great stuff. Would you make the defense in the debut? And what do you think about some of those position battles and where they stand right now?
Speaker 7: Wolf?
Speaker 3: Where's your eye going to go on Saturday night against Casey Well Paully.
Speaker 1: You know, first of all, I thought, once again the defense superseded every expectation I had. I thought they played really really well, especially the starters. Of course in that first quarter that really blew my mind. Cornerback at the cornerback room is definitely that's very very competitive. I like Antonio Hamilton coming out as the starter week one. I like that he did make some plays as well. We'll see how it goes. That's not a slam on anybody else. I think Key Trell Clark is gonna be your nickel corner of course, opposite of Marco. Let me just say this, what will I be watching? First of all, Paul, I'm gonna be watching the offense in regard to running the tackle zone, running the stretch play running the outside play better than what they did, especially the starters running that play better. That is the integral play to this offense. When you take a quarterback and you stick them under center, especially in rundown situation. You're saying, we've got five plays and I'm simplifying it for effect, but we got five plays we're gonna run. The problem is we could run the ball or we could throw the ball in. You on the second level and third level don't know what we're gonna do. If we execute correctly, you're gonna have to guess and see that's the problem. That's the problem. So for me, it all starts with being able to run that play. Execute that play where you can rip that ball for four five on a regular basis, running that tackle zone play. That's what I'm looking for. Number one. Number two, more play action, Polly. I want to see more play action off of that action, that tackle zone stretch play action, whether it's a boot, a waggle, or a straight seven step drop in the pocket. I want to see more play action. And then finally, Polly, I want to see some gap integrity, just like what we saw on the defensive line. You and I have had this conversation many many times. That is my concern. I think it's your concern as well, being able to actually stop the run. What I saw them do in that first quarter the starters against the Denver Broncos was very encouraging. I'd love to see them follow it up with the same type of gap integrity attacking that that line of scrimmage with their front six or seven.
Speaker 3: No, that's great stuff. You know what, I'll name some names going back to offense where you started. Michael Wilson, he only played a couple of series. Love to see more out of him against Kansas City. I'd love to see Trey McBride, who's been back of practice this week. Exactly what do they have in mind for Trey McBride, because I think he's gonna be on the move a lot as an HVAC slash tight end. And then when you get over to the defense, I'd love to see my j Sanders and even more bj Ojalai All. We'd love to see those two guys out there because I'm with you. Zamon Collins, Dennis Gardek, Cam Thomas had a sack. They all exceeded expectations. I thought they all looked regular season ready, there's no question about that. So I'd love to see some of those other edge guys because we've even seen Jesse Luketta and Victor d Mukage run with the ones at times. So what are they doing at that outside linebacker spot? It seems much more deep in terms of that depth in that room than we ever envision. There's that, and then of course, okay, what are you gonna do with inside linebacker behind KUYSI?
Speaker 4: You're white.
Speaker 3: I think that's a hotly congested competition too.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so fascinating, Bully. You play by play guys are all about the players. Yes, And here I am as a color analyst, of course, and I'm sure maybe Drew would probably agree with me. Here. You know what we're all about the play, you know, figure about the player. It's the play. This is a brand new scheme, Pully. This is this is a brand new coaching staff. We're trying to late this brand new foundation. What do we what are we running here? What kind of personnel groups and what kind of plays are we actually running? The scheme? The scheme, the scheme, I'm fascinated with it. And you play by play guys are all the same.
Speaker 4: No, you're right.
Speaker 3: I was like, who's on the field for the first play? And Drew stan was like, no, what is the first play? But you know the one, the one that we agreed on was Clayton Tune, who yes, who guess what looked like a rookie early?
Speaker 4: But you know what, so did Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're number one or number two pick in the draft, right? Bryce Young and CJ. Stroud both struggled big time in their preseason debut.
Speaker 4: So, yes, rookie.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks, they have this initiation period. But what did you see out of Clayton Tune as the game went on? And what more do you want to see out of the rookie quarterback Saturday night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just want to see a little bit more accuracy. I thought he did an excellent job with his poise. Can I just tell you my general overall feel of Clayton tomb PAULI, Yep, this kid's got my attention. He's got my attention. He's got to be more accurate, but there's something there. He's got my attention.
Speaker 3: So you realize The Kansas City Chiefs wrapt up camp today at Missouri Western State University in Saint Joseph, Missouri. Oh does that sound like one of year old Saint Louis Cardinals training camps?
Speaker 1: You got that right, Illinois A.
Speaker 3: Single game take It's on sale now at Asycardinals dot com. Slash buy tickets to secure your seats today Special thanks as always Jim Almandra Cody Fincher, Ali Narini, Ron Wolfley, and Jonathan Ledbetter.
Speaker 4: I'm Paul KELVC.
Speaker 3: This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Number one, Tila, You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of Arizona Cardinals Football Club.