Speaker 1: To be the voice of Tarnvader, but they found somebody a little better. J. P. Chacker, Welcome.
Speaker 2: He is Jaguars Happy Hour, Thursday, September twelfth. It is week two, the Jaguars and the Browns coming up. We got busy two hours ahead here on ten toon Xcel at ninety two point five FM. Jaguars Happy Hour, Now Doug Peterson Show at five o'clock.
Speaker 1: We'll have the head coach and studio with.
Speaker 2: Us Brown's Jaguars preview coming up, Lawrence versus Watson, all Clemson quarterback matchup, defensive comparisons of course, both teams with the strong defensive units. And the Baptist Health Injury report coming up whenever it is released today, we'll have that for you, as we said, ten to Xcel, ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube as well. JP Shadwick with Jaguars analyst Jeff Logoman, Good afternoon.
Speaker 1: How are you good afternoon? Did you say strong defenses? Yeah? I don't know if that's a little early to label the Jaguars in the category of the Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Browns, Okay, Nelly, a little too okay?
Speaker 1: Well premature there, Yeah, I mean, it's one game and last time I checked, the Jaguars ranking was twenty seventh in the league. Cars allowed. All right, well, I was giving them the benefit of the death thirty second in the past, trying to be positive. I like your positivity, JP, But let's talk it exist, let's be real. Come on.
Speaker 2: But that'll be a fun one that we'll get into that coming up. But but yeah, that's quite a matchup though, This Browns defense against the Jags defense.
Speaker 1: I think a better way to put it is the Jags defense against the Browns offense. How you just put it right there, because that that that's a matchup first of all, the Browns defense against yeah, the brown but the Browns defense, Now, hold on, you got to follow me from I'm about to straighten out, thank you. The Browns defense against anybody is a tough matchup for that anybody got except the Cowboys last week exactly. But it was no, it was a tough matchup for the Cowboys too. Now, the Cowboys got a special team score, which was a big part of that ball game, and the offense of the Cleveland Browns was absolutely atrocious. That's why I think that this game is a kind of an interesting matchup Jags defense against the Cleveland Browns defense, just because the Cleveland Browns offense has shown that it's so inept with Deshaun Watson at the helm and two backup tackles, they were struggling to get out of their own way in that game against the Cowboys. And Mike Micah Parsons is an absolute monster. I mean him and Miles Garrett, TJ Watt, Chris Jones. I mean those guys right there now that Aaron Donald's retired, I mean, those guys right there are the cream of the crop. And I don't know if there's anybody better than Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into the Jags offense against Garrett and this Browns if it's I think for the Jaguars to get anything, they have to have some kind of success against this group. Garrett up front, Jeremiah su Corramoa linebacker level, he's a good one. Denzel Ward at corner, who's been to three Pro Bowls. I mean, They've got guys at every level that can play, and a coordinator who's not afraid to dial it up. No, he's a highly aggressive Jim Schwartz, by the way, yes, highly aggressive. And there's a relationship there that goes, you know, into the past with Doug Peterson. Obviously they won a Super Bowl together, and uh.
Speaker 1: And I got the feeling that it's just not a warm and fuzzy relationship anymore. I mean, do you get that impression? Well, you know what, let's ask Doug when he gets in here. And the reason I say that is that, uh, you don't. You don't see hug and all that kind of stuff. And you would think that when Doug Peterson gets ahead job, that Jim Schwartz would be kind of maybe a candidate for being the defensive coordinator, but that didn't happen. Uh anyway, just thinking out loud here, you know, kind of kind of different. Jim Schwartz is a guy that kind of along the lines of Buddy Ryan. And what I mean by that is, give me the credit on the defensive coordinator, you know, give me some attention. That's my side of the ball. That's good. I mean, don't you get that impression. I mean, my hair is out of place. Don't have that problem. He's an interesting, an interesting coordinator.
Speaker 2: You know, what makes the coordinator better. Yeah, So here's the question. Nobody might have an answer to, but I'm gonna ask it anyway, because that's the challenge this week is how do you slow him down? How do you block Miles Garrett? Uh approach?
Speaker 1: Multiple people you have, I mean, it's got to be multiple people. And the hard part is is that they do a really good job of moving ninety five or out. They moved him to the left side, they move him to the right side, They'll kick him down inside. Sometimes he can play a lot of different places and there's not one person that can block him one on one in this league for long. I mean, you know, there might be a play that you slow him down, but it's not like there's a guy that can just block him. I mean he is in fact. To go back to an event that I did with the Jaguar fan base and season ticket holders on Tuesday, me and Trent balky were on stage and I asked Trent Balke, you know, because he's been in the league since nineteen ninety eight, and I asked him, I said, what's the greatest player that you've ever scouted looked at from an evaluator scout standpoint. And he didn't hesitate. He said, the greatest player that ever that I've looked that is Miles Garrett. And he goes and I'm not saying that because it's this week. And he said that even though at the time he said there was no chance of us being able to draft him, he said he was hands down, by far, the greatest talent that I've ever looked at. Well, that's the guy that the Jaguars are assigned to block this week, and it's coming a week after that. The Jaguars tackles did not play particularly well. In fact, if you want to be completely honest, I'm looking at numbers right here on my surfaces. Yes, let me just say this, oh boy. And after the game, I said, I mean, BESSELI were talking about the game and watched the film, and after watching the film, I said, you know, that was not a good performance by Anton Harrison. In fact, before the game, I was telling Joe Rose, the color analyst for the Miami Dolphins, I was like, look, seventy seven is really good. I think he's our best offensive linemen. I mean, I mean, when you say that, that's a fair assessment. Thinking that Anton Harrison was going to be the best offensive lineman for the Jaguars this year based on last year. Yeah, the way he kept you know, he's coming off, had his shoulder, had a good year with that, and yeah, I mean, it's the boy. And after the game I went to Joe and I apologize and I said, man, I'm sorry saying that about seventy seven. I said, I thought he was better than that. I said he didn't have a very good game, So I kind of looked like I didn't know what I was talking about to Joe a little bit. And then watching the film, he didn't play well. And you look at PFF grades and I know that's not the end all be all, but he was the third worst graded tackle in football.
Speaker 2: Is Garrett the type that you know with the Chiefs Can what's his name of the Chiefs?
Speaker 1: You just said it, Chris, Chris, Chris Jones. Anyway, I have those moments too, jas lately. It's a loile Wow. He can kind of pick his spots.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm gonna line up against this guy this down, I'm gonna up against this guy on this and he has the ability to go pick out who he wants to rush against. I'm sure Garrett probably has that same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I don't think they give him the freedom to pick where he wants to go. But I think I think, yes, it's some of that's very strategic. And would they even put him in against a guard. Sure, he's more comfortable at the end because his skill set is a little bit more adept to play defensive end. But I mean, he's big, he's strong, he's long, he's fast, he's athletic. He uh, you know, he takes on double teams all the time. I mean, it's just it's that's the world he lives in. That's the world that Chris Jones lives in. TJ. Watt. I think I don't know if he would get as much or as many double teams as them now, even though TJ. Watt statistically has had like the highest numbers in sack total over the last couple of year. Defensive player, they're a great player. I think sometimes Micah Parsons and Miles Garrett draw more attention than TJ. Watt because some people watch TJ. And Ah. You know, he doesn't quite have that, you know, like those two guys do. But I mean he's still productive. But you know, Michael Parsons, Miles Garrett, Chris Jones TJ. Watt. Those guys are the the unstoppable forces in the National Football League, and the Jaguars got to find a way to stop him this week. And it's not gonna be easy because, look, the reality is you're gonna have a hard time sometimes identifying where he's gonna line up. Sometimes it's easier if you don't know where a guy's gonna be at, because then you can game plan your protection where you need that extra help at. He's listed as a left end, but no, he plays right, he plays left, He'll play wherever. You know he's He's that good. I mean, you know, sometimes every week you hear broadcasters and analysts, you know, inflate guys to make oh great matchup. I'm not inflating anything here, folks. Miles Garrett is an absolute beast. The twenty twenty four season is here. You don't want to miss the matchups this season and whether you want to to become a season ticket member, catch three or more games with a bundle at the bank, or experienced the season with prow pass, there's a plan for every fan. Get locked in at Jaguars dot com, slash tickets or call nine oh four six three three two thousand. It's the Jaguars Happy Hour on tens XL ninety two point five FM. Yes, how many? How many sacks? Like you needed something to say? How many sacks did Jalen Phillips have in this past game? Did this week? Yeah? A couple at least, didn't he? I mean he was, he was pretty good, right, Yeah, Jalen Phillips isn't even the same stratosphere. Oh sure as a as a Miles Garrett. I mean so, I mean the level of intensity is going to go raised dramatically this week. Here here it is right here, Mimmy Dolphin sacks Jail and Phillips. But Kalay's got one, right, all they gave Jalen Phillips had one sack. Kalay's got one. And on first play the game, first play, I mean, I don't know what Anton was doing on that play wasn't very good. I mean it's you know, they were bringing pressure, kalais looping, and Anton was kind of going through the motions of play action and not selling it very good. I mean it was. All I know is is that if you think that that's gonna work this week against Miles Garrett.
Speaker 3: Uh uh?
Speaker 1: It ain't gonna work. How about the rest of this Browns defense.
Speaker 2: J Okay the linebacker got a contract extension this offseason. They like him, Okay, Jeremiah j Okay.
Speaker 1: I like that, Jay Okay. Am I allowed to use that in a broadcast on Sunday. They use it all the time. It's not I didn't just make it up. Yeah, Okay, I like that. That's a little lot easier to say that. Jay Okay, Right, I like that. He's a fantastic player. He's a good player. He's really a good player. I mean, he's a Pro Bowl level player. Denzel Ward, pro Bowl level player. Good news. Wan thorn Hill is going to be out. He went to injured reserve with a calf from the first week. Who was a starting safety, Dell Pitt is a good football players. The Darius Smith, who was the opposite edge player of Miles Garrett, good football player. Uh yeah, this this is this is a tough matchup, you know. And here here's the other thing I'm gonna point out. There were there were some performances by dependable guys on the Jaguars offensive side of the ball that were not good.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. I can't wait to hear it. What do you expect out of Christian Kirk? I expect him to not drop as many balls as he did last What do you expect.
Speaker 1: Out of Evan Ingram? More looks? Uh better performances? Right on? Both of those guys. Yeah, they didn't play very well either, right, we know, yes, we saw the Kirk drops Evan Ingram.
Speaker 2: Ingram wasn't dropping the ball, but why was it not a good performance?
Speaker 1: Blocking was not great.
Speaker 2: But the guy had one hundred, almost set the record for catches by a tight end of the NFL last year. He's only getting how many looks? A handful of targets?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, it's tough, Okay, but you know part of getting looks is extending drives and helping another ways.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's not I'm just stilling the fact. Like you if you looked at the blocking of Brenton Strange in this ball game, outstanding, outstanding US and he's obviously different player than Evan Ingram. But I mean, and I'm not asking Evan Ingram to become Brenton Strange.
Speaker 2: That's not what a mask because you know what Evan is. He's supposed to run down the field. That's his number one priority. But it just didn't look the same. He's got to be better.
Speaker 1: Evan Ingram has to be better because you know, he's one of those guys you depend on. I mean, is the offense. You know, I was talking to Press Taylor before the game, and he's talking about how the offense runs through literally runs through Christian Kirk and Avn Ingram, and that's what we saw. Well it did. It did run through those two on Sunday. If you were looking at Sunday's game, you would think that, Okay, then maybe the offense needs to run through Brian Thomas Junior and Tank Bigsby. So anyway, I mean, just it's got to be better. From the guys that you're counting on and the dependable veterans, they need to be dependable each each and every week. We've got plenty ahead. We're back in a moment.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from Josh heinz Allen on DeShawn Watson and the challenge of facing I guess he was in his heyday a dual threat type guy. We'll see if he still got it.
Speaker 1: We'll hear from.
Speaker 2: Jha coming up in just a moment and of course a little bit later the injury report before the Browns Jaguars matchup. We're on ten to nextl ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 1: This is Jaguars Happy Hour just from last week too.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, the Russia's having them wrapped up and him still having a capability to get away, So just being dialed in on you know, when you have him, it's going to take probably more thing, you know, one, two people to get him down, so you know, just just jump on them and hold on for dear life, because he still has all capability of getting at any tackle.
Speaker 2: It's jaj Josh heinz Allen and discussion about Deshaun Watson, the Browns quarterback, first round pick of course of the Texans back in twenty seventeen, traded to the Browns in twenty two and now after starting thirteen games for the Browns, he's eight and five as a starter there, trying to get it on track. A lot of stuff going on off the field around for Sea Watson, and this week father passed away apparently last.
Speaker 1: Week too, so I mean there's been a lot happening with him.
Speaker 2: On the Felt and welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour JP Shadwick with Jeff Flogman. Glad you're with us on tent XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. Ahead of the Browns Jaguars matchup presented by EverBank now called Trevor Bank. They put the signage up today outside of the stadium, really the tr in front of everyone. Oh yeah, yeah, all right, so check it out coming up.
Speaker 1: On You know, if it's going to be called Trevor Bank, then he's got to own it, right, I would hope. So yes, and kick some button.
Speaker 2: Yes, have a great day and against another Clemson quarterback, Intoshaun Watson. And you know the performance last week, that's what it is. You got two backup tackles, you got very good, the tight end got hurt and first game, yeah it was not good. The question is is this is the old Deshaun still in there somewhere because talking to Fred Taylor this week and you'll hear that on count had a kickoff on Sunday and on the Jags Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: I mean he's.
Speaker 2: He's talked with Deshaun before and he does everything the right way and preparing for a season, but it just hasn't shown up.
Speaker 1: I just field in Cleveland. I don't know how anybody can give all of their attention and be good at football with everything that he has had going on over the last couple of years, from the massage therapy accusations to this latest one of sexual assault, to sitting out basically almost two entire seasons, one year essentially on the commissioner's list. A second year he had I think it was an eleven game suspension. There's been conversations about that this could be considered the worst trade in NFL history, and if you look at it from a value standpoint, this is by far the worst trade and National Football League history. The Texans fleeced the Cleveland brown fleeced them.
Speaker 2: Did you see what they what they gave up? It's the first round and they've hit on all the picks they got too.
Speaker 1: But most importantly, they gave up two hundred and forty million dollars guaranteed, guaranteed, And I got a feeling that the Cleveland Browns organization is quietly hoping that this latest allegation leads to a league suspension and they can get out from underneath of the contract to Deshaun Watson. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I mean, look what they gave up. They gave up. The Texans got Cleveland's twenty twenty two first and fourth round picks. They got the first and the third in the in the twenty twenty three draft, and then in this past Springs draft they got the first in the fourth. You're talking three first round picks, two fours in a three move for the guy that's played thirteen games.
Speaker 2: Packaged some of those to move up and get Will Anderson at the third pick and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's something, it's it's I mean, the Herschel Walker trade was not good.
Speaker 2: That's probably the number one all time like one sided deal because multiple Super Bowls of the Dallas Cowboys and multiple foundational building blocks of the Jimmy Johnson led Cowboys.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I think that one still goes. But I mean from just a monetary performance standpoint, this is the worst. I mean, by far, this is the worst. Can he get back to the form that he had with the Texans, I don't know. I think he made what a couple of Pro Bowls or one Pro Bowl two or three. I think it was back in the day, and he was a thread on the ground as well as with his arm.
Speaker 2: He was six and zero against this team as a starter. Last time he played the Jags was twenty twenty. Though it's been a while. Yeah, I don't know, different world, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, and everything that's going on with the off the field stuff is getting very loud for him, very loud. And then when you have a performance like they had offensively last week with the Cleveland Browns, it gets even louder with the off the field stuff. If you're all right, let's say you're the Jaguars defense, then and you see Deshaun Watson out there with some backup tackles, even though the backup right tackles started most every game last year and the tight ends out, how do you attack this Brown's offense to? What do you begin on this offense? I might I might have a little bit of smack talk about the off the field stuff. Okay, I'm sure you would, that's you, yes, I mean you know, I mean, why not try to get a guy off his game? I mean, why would you not try that? Don't I don't know. I mean, there's to do what you do. And I was never one to talk a whole lot on the football field, but stop it. And I was I was not that I was not. I was born at night. It wasn't last night. I was not. But there were some guys that were incredibly good at it, yes, and I left it to them. And the ones that were incredibly good at it, like John Randall. Can you imagine John Randall getting ready to play Deshaun Watson this week? I mean, John Randall was one of the best. Here's the question, Ryan Nielsen, drawing it up on the board. Where do you start to attack? Got it? You gotta attack him and pressure him early because in the Dallas Cowboys game, he started that game and he kept his eyes down the field because look, he's got two very good wide receivers, Mary Cooper, Pro Bowl wide receiver, Jerry Judy, really good wide receiver they got in the trade with the Denver Broncos. I believe, I mean, really good football players. But the offensive line was not very good. And so the game started out with Michael Parsons just being an absolute beast, and you could tell that Deshaun Watson then started to take peaks at the rush for the remainder of that ballgame. If you can get him to start doing that early in the game and start thinking, oh no, here we go again. This is gonna be like last week. If Josh hinz Allen and Trayvon and everybody else kind of gets after him early in this ball game, you'll get his eyes to drop and not stay on the field to find an open receiver. And so I think it's paramount that you get off to a fast start defensively, and you've got to protect the football as an offense in this game. If you give them extra chances as an offense, it's gonna be it's gonna be even tougher to stop them as a whole, just because it gives them extra opportunities at gaining confidence as an offense. Chubb's not playing running back pedestrian pedestrian running game. They're not. Yes, yes, and especially I mean you're you're with two backup tackles. Chubb is, you know, still trying to get back off of a horrific knee injury. The starting running back Drome Ford is guy. He's a guy. Put it this way, It's not like the forty nine er situation that we saw on Monday Night football to where McCaffrey's backup just walked in and ripped off what how many yards do you have? One hundred and forty seven? Big something crazy. Yeah, that hasn't happened in Cleveland. I can tell you that. I'll say this.
Speaker 2: The backup air quotes right tackle is six eight three seventy four Dwan Jones from Ohio State.
Speaker 1: One of the largest humans you'll see on a football field. Micah Parsons had him spinning around so many different directions that he didn't know which way was the direction that his offense was going and which way the quarterback was. Man. I mean, I mean's a mountain of a man. What's his what's his height? Weight on on the six six eight three seventy four? Six eight three seventy four, that's just listed. I mean, who knows how accurate that is. He might be four, but he's a biscuit shy of four hundred. He might be at four. He's a giant human being, giant, and Michael Parsons literally had him going where did he go? It was like and they were sliding. They were giving him extra help. And but Michael Parsons is just a best I mean, he's such a rare human being. Dallas Cowboys better pay him. I can tell you that they did. They just got done paying Dak Prescott, who is not the best quarterback in the league, but he got top of the quarterback money Ceedee lamb. The guy that needs to be paid is Michael Parsons Jerry Jones. You better pay number eleven. I'm telling you he's the guy.
Speaker 2: Register You're furry Friend for the Jaguars Official for Legged Fan Club for Pets presented by Forever Vets Animal Hospital.
Speaker 1: Your pet, not you.
Speaker 2: Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the season. Visit Jaguars dot com Slash Promotions Slash for Legged Fan Club and sign up today. Our defensive talk will continue shortly when we get to the Baptist Health Injury Report. Some back end issues for the Jaguars in the secondary, and that's coming up shortly. PR Production is the official event production company of the Jags. Has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit PRI Productions dot com. Kai Stevens joins us when we return as Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 5: One to be self motivated to he and I spoke even during the game Sunday and then afterwards, you know, and I just just reassured him that that we're can We're going to continue to give him the football, and I think that's the the next best thing is to get him right back on that horse, as they say, and keep keep feeding.
Speaker 1: In the ball.
Speaker 5: And uh, I don't want them to be tentative, you know, cautious. I still want them to attack, be aggressive and and just learn from hey.
Speaker 2: Coach Doug Peterson earlier this week on Travis etn and his bounce back ability from the key fumble last week down in South Florida. And it's Jaguars Happy Hour, Welcome back, JP, Shadwick, Jeff Logoman. We're at the Hundai Studios, the Miller Electric Center to in TXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, all the places, Kai Stevens joining us in studio now, Jaguars Medium.
Speaker 3: Maven I'm all the places today. I think I'm going to be on every single show today. So if Jaguars fans are sick of me, I'm going to be here.
Speaker 1: Impossible, I'm gonna be here on it is impossible, there's never too much. Kai Stevens on radio. We I love it.
Speaker 6: I'm sure that's what my mom would take you. But thank you.
Speaker 1: It's right.
Speaker 2: So that's one part of the offense. Last week, the running game. You know, we saw some good things from ETN. We didn't we saw the fumble was not one of those good things. Tank Bigsby had some moments lives last week where okay, this is a step in the right direction, but pass protection and a couple of things didn't work.
Speaker 1: Well for him. Well, I mean, first of all, give Tank credit. I mean it's a drastic improvement from last year. I mean, powerful, full head of steam. There was one play ticket I'm not sure on but Anton Harrison looked like he was expecting a little help from Tank Bigsby and he didn't get it and led to a sack pressure. But I mean a good start for Tank Bigsby. I mean overall, but it's got to be better, right, I mean, it's got to be better. But I liked it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you could speak to it specifically, Jeff with the plays. But I know last season a lot of the issues were Tank not being able to kind of pick up the blitz and that's what kept him off the field a lot of the time, and I think that kind of got to fumbles. Some of that's Trevor throwing it real hot at his head though true at least in the Indianapolis game, So I'll give him that. But I know a lot of the coaching staff was kind of concerned at least last year with whether they could trust him to do the other things that he needed to do, because if you know he's going to run the ball every time he's on the field, that takes away some of what he will be able to do. So obviously we saw some stuff from him last week. Hopefully we'll see that continue to improve. And Travis, I think was impressive in the locker room the other day JP. Just his attitude to I mean, he's always he's just very straightforward, honest person. Spoke after the game, which not everybody does when they do something like that.
Speaker 6: He owned it, He absolutely did.
Speaker 1: He not afraid of tough question.
Speaker 3: He owned it, and he admitted it probably sat with him an extra day, whereas other times you can kind of flush the game out of your mind, but it sat with them an extra day.
Speaker 6: But now he's moving on from it. He's not going to be defined by it.
Speaker 3: Some people take this and kind of just never, you know, let it become an issue.
Speaker 6: Don't want to speak too soon. But I feel like, at least mentally, he's in a good spot.
Speaker 1: I don't worry about him. I don't. I think he's a mature, tough competitor. I think he's going to bounce back fine. I liked what the coaching staff did in that ball game, and that after the fumble, which was significant, it seemed to be the turning point of the game. If you're just you know, don't know anything, and you come down from Mars and you look at the game book, the play sheet, you can see that the game turned on that play. It was a fourteen point swing. But they gave the ball right back to him on the next drive on all fence, and I thought that that was a real good sign. And some guys you don't do that with, But with Etn you're going to do that with because he's a trusted player, and he's and he's had a lot of big moments for you, and for one of those guys, you got to give the ball back to him to let him know it's okay. We trust you. In last week's game, Trevor Lawrence was twelve of twenty one, passing one hundred and sixty two yards, threw a touchdown pass which was a fantastic throw. He's going to be playing in a stadium with his name.
Speaker 2: On it this week. So, Trevor Bank, what do you need from Trevor this week?
Speaker 3: Guy? More of the same that we saw in the first half. I think obviously, you know, people have their issues with the play calling whatnot. In the second half after that kind of they didn't have a ton of plays.
Speaker 6: That's what it comes down to. Yes, we would have liked to see him throw it.
Speaker 3: More, didn't have a ton of time to throw, didn't have a ton of time to throw, and didn't you know, three and out it's not going to give you that many chances at it either. So staying on the field is important, and I mean as annoying as it is execution right, Like if you convert on third down, you'll get more you'll have more options. And then Trevor's, you know, fourth year for Trevor, we got to see it from him.
Speaker 1: I got so many questions this week about play calling. It's like so old, you're not the only one.
Speaker 6: Jeff loves that question.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just I'm okay, I thought the play calling was fine in this ball game.
Speaker 6: If they win, people would have loved it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if it's just kind of execute, Yeah, if they convert a third down and the right guard doesn't get blown up, you get a first down.
Speaker 1: Let's go there for a minute. Okay, let let's talk about because the reason why they didn't win this ball game and didn't bounce back from the critical turnover was they they didn't convert on third downs. I mean, plain and simple. Christian Kirk had two drops, both of them on third down, right, third and one. Okay, you're you're supposed to up to the you know, to the linebacker, and your right guard gets blown up on the fourth down play, which I'm not a fan of going for on the fourth down. Let me just say that, but the play, but okay, now we're gonna go for it. Let's do it. If it's fourth and one, you better know what you're doing, okay. And they didn't know what they were doing on that particular play. A number of.
Speaker 6: Players, some people didn't.
Speaker 1: Yep, it wasn't good. Okay, more than one so if you if you just catch those balls, you convert that. I'm not saying that that would have been the game saving moment, but.
Speaker 2: It gives you more drive, throw it more, you get better first down results, and it's play action and here we go.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, the play calling was fine. You just got to execute on the opportunities that were given to you. I mean, come on, let's and you know, I think people are so ultra focused on the whole play calling thing for a couple of reasons. One, you know, this team struggled down to stretch last year, right, losing five of six. I would say that's a struggle. Yeah. Fact, question was asked of Doug Peterson about who's going to handle play calling this year. He avoided the question early in training camp, and then he really didn't answer the question to the media, and so then it becomes a continuing story. The owner talked about him wanting to have Doug Peterson call play So, I mean, all this talk about play calling makes all this extra attention go on it when it doesn't need to be there. It doesn't because here's the reality. Play calling is a collective effort. It's Press Taylor, it's Doug Peterson, it's Phil Rauscher, it's Mike McCoy, it's everybody getting together during the course of the weekend. The last time I checked, everybody has a headset on. Okay, can you see I'm geting a little angry here now? Yeah, okay, the last time I checked, everybody has a headset on. Doug Peterson has one on. Press Taylor has one on, Phil Rauscher has one on. Mike McCoy has one on. The party line is if anybody wants to put in any kind of an input, all you gotta do is touch a little button on your hip and go, hey, I think we ought to do this right here. And guess what. Doug Peterson has the ultimate authority? Can we get off the play call anything for just a minute? Thank you? I needed that.
Speaker 6: But Jeff, who do you think is actually calling the place?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Come on, tell us, he answers it answered my little rant. God mighty unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But how about the throw from Trevor though in the touchdown pass, I mean from the left hash other world, Thomas was at the left hash when he let it go, and he ended up back left corner of the end zone in the back line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was. Uh, that's one of the best throws. I think the best throw I've seen Trevor make. I mean it was. It was fantastic. And then and I was showing Kai this on the film on Tuesday. And the other impressive thing is that you've got a rookie wide receiver, first round pick and Brian Thomas who is lined up on the right side. And I break this down on some of the upcoming Jaguar TV shows so people can check it out, and also on Jaguars YouTube TV channel. But if you watch that play on the left side, as Gabe Davis and he runs down the field, gets to the end zone and just stops and turns around, and he's trying to draw all the attention and pull people up. And then Brian Thoms, who's lined up on the right side of the Jaguars formation, is working his way across the field, but he's got to find a way to navigate and to get through all of the traffic. Somehow end up on the back of the end zone. So while he's looking to navigate the traffic, his eyes are on the defenders. You know, It's like, Okay, it's like somebody's driving a car through construction zone. You got to pay attention where all the cones are. And then finally when he does get his head back around, the ball is already passed halfway to him and he never misses a beat with his body control, getting his feet in and making the catch. He made it look so easy that that is also not just an elite throw. That's an elite play by a rookie, and it's your first round picking people. That gets me excited that play right there, I'm talking big time excitement, almost excited as play calling debate. No, not quite.
Speaker 6: Different directions, right.
Speaker 3: I think the body awareness is cool, Jeff, what you're talking about, because for him to be able to do all that keep his feet inbounds, I think a lot of last year not calling anybody out, but just the ball it.
Speaker 6: Didn't quite work out the same way.
Speaker 3: They're you know, getting the feed in whether it's a Jones or whoever it was, or the throw wasn't wasn't allowing them to do that either, Uh, the throw being on point, and you know, credit to Trevor for practicing that, putting the throw where it needs to be in Brian for as you mentioned, being able to find the ball in the middle of the throw and then still get his feet in. Wasn't even looking down when he did it. So you're just like, have that awareness where you are. There's a lot of people that don't have that and don't ever pick that up. So the natural ability he has to do that and just and for me it's always been he's so fast in a way that is deceiving because he's with you. And then it's like it's yes, Jalen knows, well, I'm gonna ask him tonight and see if he'll tell us what he told Jalen, But I don't think you will.
Speaker 1: That was the best. That was really good. That was great, oh by Jalen Ramsey. And then you draw the p I call and then Jalen wants to get up and talk smack, And the last time I checked, you're not really in a position to talk smack When you just had to get a PI penalty to save a touchdows to yard PI, you might want to, you know, not chirp at that moment, but he decided to chirp, and Brian just I mean, I'm talking chirp right back. I was going out. That's that's a guy, that's got some dog. He may be quiet to everybody, okay, and not say a whole lot, but that right there, that's a dog. And I'm not talking a bad dog. I mean, you know, remember the Lord's Taylor, the famous saying on NFL films, we got to go out there by like a bunch of crazed dogs. That's the dog I'm talking about. That's I was loving that.
Speaker 2: It's like the photo of the X ray with the dog in the chest cavity in there. You mentioned tonight, so that she's on the show tonight on Jaguars.
Speaker 3: All Actually, yes, we have two guests tonight on All Access. Christian Kirk couldn't be with us last week, so he's gonna come this week and he will be ringing Ryan Thomas Junior along with him.
Speaker 1: Wow, two for the price of one. Awesome. I love that it's outstanding. That is at seven o'clock. And not to mention some of the best wings on the planet.
Speaker 6: Jeff's favorite.
Speaker 1: How many did you eat last week? Twenty five? We did? I thought, no, it does not just me. I think the most I've done at one sitting has been twelve.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's when you get the itightist got to go take a nap. But get real, I.
Speaker 1: Could have done the fifteen that night, but I was just like you, I'll be really uncomfortable. I better not. Yeah, they're good though, They're good, good, better good, great Streams, Sports Brewery, Alama, White wings Man, that's all them all all over that seven o'clock get there early. Absolutely should be a good crowd tonight. Yeah, should be a great.
Speaker 6: Rain and outside nothing else to do? Come on down.
Speaker 1: Can we stop with the rain with the question about play calling all? Can I go off on a tangent about the rain?
Speaker 2: Please do get wait for that Saturday morning at on the Outdoor show the rain?
Speaker 1: How many were days in a row? Is it rain now?
Speaker 2: Like ten?
Speaker 6: It feels like a million? Maybe this sun will come out on Sunday.
Speaker 1: What's what is it gonna come out on? Something?
Speaker 6: Idea?
Speaker 1: Please tell me that that's the truth. Please tell me. I don't know. I don't know. Kay will be back for the bulk of the Doug Peterson Show.
Speaker 6: Appreciate sh well. JP's a busy man. He has to dip out a little bit.
Speaker 1: We're high to man, he's in high to man. We're looking forward to that.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Kay Stevens. And if you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, we got the MVP of the Jaguars media game here. That's Kai, the MVP of the truck game. You better check out the twenty twenty four Ford F one fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and game changing tech. You can dominate, work play and everything in between. Test drive an F one fifty at your local four dealer. Proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars on ten ten Xcel ninety two point five, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. We're back with the Baptist Health Injury report on Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 1: Welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour from.
Speaker 2: The Hyundai Studios, the Miller Electric Center, JP Shaddick with Jeff Logoman or thanks to Kay Stevens. Coming up in about twelve minutes the Doug Peterson Show. We'll get some answers from that head coach in studio. He'll join us with some final thoughts, very final thoughts about the Dolphins game, but how they carry over and get better moving ahead this week and bounce back against the Brown We'll ask him all that. Coming up back five o'clock on the Jaguars Radio network.
Speaker 1: We're on ten ten XL ninety two point five FM and.
Speaker 2: Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube all the places as usual. Count Down to kick Off is on. We want to put a little pep in your step with Spirit Week presented by uf Health leading up to the home opener against the Browns. Keep your eyes and ears open for cool ways to win big. For more, go to Jaguars dot com slash Sweepstakes. It's always fun the home opener. Oh yeah, come on man, oh yeah, yeah, it's it.
Speaker 1: Uh. I hope the weather's okay, but there's nothing better than having the energy at a fever pitch. And Trevor Bank, I guess right, Trevor Bank, by the by the way, whose responsibility is it to change the road signs? Just out of curiosity?
Speaker 3: You know question?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Kind'm wondering because you know, every time I'm coming to the stadium, I'm seeing t I A a Bank this way? Do we need to contact the Maras office whatever you want, I'm not gonna have dot. I mean, who do we call about that? That's a great question, I mean, and would we have to change that to Trevor Bank. They might just ask you. We'll just do it, Okay. I'm just I'm just curious here, you know. Don't ask the questions. You don't want to hear the answers. Give me the defense of the injury report. You mentioned earlier, that injury. I was totally sick. Sorry, but I want to hear it because you said it's important. It is very important. It's always important, certainly this week. The injury report is presented by Baptist Health changing Healthcare for Good. So the Jaguars safety Daniel Thomas Special Teams ACE did not play last week, limited both days this week so far with the achilles injury. Cam Robinson, left tackle, has been limited both days this week with a knee injury. Darnell Savage added to the report today with a quadriceps injury. Did not practice today. He was on the field yesterday, did not practice Thursday.
Speaker 2: That's not a good sign. Linebacker Caleb Johnson, also a special teams Ace, was on the field yesterday, limited today with a back issue, and defensive tackle Tyler Lacey with a toe injury. He did practice Wednesday, limited today. So the additions of Savage, Caleb Johnson, and Tyler Lacy to the report this week today, Darnell Savage not practicing on top of Tyson Campbell, of course placed on injured reserve earlier today at corner. That means two, essentially two starters could be down this week.
Speaker 1: Definitely, it gonna be watching the Darnell Savage when it comes to tomorrow for the game designation because he felt like he came out of the game, Okay, right, I mean something had to have happened. He wasn't on the injury report on Wednesday, so something had to have happened, you know. I guess, Yeah, that's concerning. And then on top of that, Tyson Campbell going to injured reserve. Oh, I mean last year he had Here's the thing I worry about with that with Tyson, with Tyson focusing on Tyson now, last year he injured his left hamstring. I think it was just right this year, so two different hamstrings. Okay, but you go back to last year and I think he missed six games last year, missed a lot of time. Was he ever the same after the hamstring? I didn't feel like it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Remember he was even inactive for one game to kind of let him go back and heal a little bit more. So my concern is is now you have another hamstring. But then if you looked at when he returned last year, well when he returns this year, is he going to be back in okay or is it going to be kind of like last year where he never got back to the level of play that we kind of expected out of Tyson and what he probably expected out of himself. I mean, so that's that's concerning. But for this week in particular, if something's going on with Savage, oh, I mean that's something that's uh yeah, you're talking about two guys.
Speaker 2: If Savage doesn't go, then most likely Jarion Jones is your Nickel.
Speaker 1: I don't like. I don't like those injuries that just pop up during the week. That's not good.
Speaker 2: So I mean Sarah's cross that is he's okay, Well he's not. Jarny Jones is probably the guy at nickel, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably so at Nickel because he played some snaps there in the game and he's done that before, He's been trained in all of that. You know. The first question is is that who's going to take the place of Tyson Campbell Brown. We're going to ask Doug about that here, and I would guess we saw in the game that it was Monteric Brown or Buster Brown the nickname, I guess. But but here's the question. In a game against the Miami Dolphins, you had Monteric Brown move in and play corner. But it also was a game that you were playing a lot of dime, et cetera. So what are you gonna do this week where I don't think you're gonna get to a lot of dime, You're just gonna be in a lot of nickel. Here's another thing. Terrell Edmonds, who was activated last week because Daniel Thomas was not available to play, got signed off of the practice squad by the Pittsburgh Steelers to their active roster. He is now no longer available to bring up as a practice squad elevation for Daniel Thomas. So is Daniel Thomas ready to go? He's still on the injury report, still on there. He's limited. So the Jaguars did sign Trey Flowers to the active roster to make up for the loss of Tyson Campbell on the active roster. So Trey Flowers, veteran corner, long, tall guy that I like, he's got the ability to put hands on guys. But I mean, yeah, this is this is definitely something that is worth watching as we move towards game day.
Speaker 2: All right, you want to get some of my Browns injuries. There's a hands There's actually a couple of notables here that were added today. Yeah, give them to me, the ones added today. Miles Garrett did not practice today with a foot injury. Was on the field yesterday.
Speaker 1: That that's concerning too, right, one that pops up that he was was the on the injury report yesterday? No, he was. He practiced full yes year. That's was not on the report. Yes, kind of like Savage right, did or did not practice today? He did not practice. That's uh.
Speaker 2: Defenseman Zadaria Smith back was on the field yesterday, did not today.
Speaker 1: He is, by the way, for people that don't know, he is the other edge player in Cleveland's defense. So we'll see what they do tomorrow. He had a sack last week.
Speaker 2: Let's see Jedrick Wills Junior, the tackle, one of the starting left tackle with the knee injury, did not play last week, did not practice yesterday, limited today. Jack Conklin limited both days this week. He's the right tackle who is at least on the depth chart at the starter, and.
Speaker 1: Neither one of those guys played in the opening week. Conklin had an ACL early in the season last year, and then Will's had an MCL about the midpoint of last season, and both of them are trying to get back, So do you have it? Those are the most notable.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of other minor ones, but both a lot of those guys have been full both days.
Speaker 1: You know, it's kind of weird. Is Wills had I think it was week nine the injury that he sustained which he ended up having an orthroscopic procedure, and I believe it was maybe an MCL, but for him not to be ready by now is kind of surprising. Now with Conklin, Conklin was late in the year, correct or was he early in the year? You know, he was early in the year. Yeah, And sometimes a guy that's coming back from an ACL typically takes about a year, so it even is a little bit surprising that Conklin is not back as well, because most guys are back from an ACL usually in about nine months, ten months somewhere in there, and he's like at a year right now. Kind of odd. Oh yeah, then it's another week.
Speaker 2: By the way, Mary kacabot of at Cleveland dot Com said that Scenaria Smith and Miles Garrett that said, the injuries are not believed to be serious. They're mostly experiencing soreness in those areas.
Speaker 1: As of now.
Speaker 2: They're both expected to face the Jags Sunday, but the fact that they're on there tells you something is going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. If Miles Garrett is not able to play, that would not hurt my feelings one bit, you think, Yeah, not a bit. Certainly not Jarrison and Cam Robinson either. Well, you know the old saying about you know, hey, you know you always want to face the team at their best, you want to beat the trees. Well, you know what if if Miles Garrett's not beat the team, I don't care. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Their problem not ours, all right, Doug Peterson show a couple of minutes away and we'll hear from the head coach here in studio. And I'm curious just the mood of moving forward after such a deflating loss last week, after they had a chance to be up three scores and then they weren't and they lost on a field goal at the end. You know, how do they bounce back? The bounce back ability of this team was in question at the end of last year.
Speaker 1: Do they have it this year? Yeah? I think I'm curious about that. I'm curious about how you go on block ninety five. That's a good question too. Yeah, it's a good strategy. Uh, you know, and you go back last year, remember the game in Cleveland. Trevor had a tough day, had three interceptions. Evan Ingram had a great day, Marvel's day, so did David and Joku. On the other side. Unfortunately, we blew how many coverages in that game? Yeah, a bunch of your touchdowns. Yeah, but I'll just never forget that Ezra Cleveland was moved to left tackle. That's right. That was that game, wasn't it. And I just I didn't like that move because of the injury to Cam and then also to Walker Little and I was just going, oh, I don't know about this and what it is, and then Ezra ended up getting his knee hurt.
Speaker 2: That'll do it for Jaguars Happy Hour our thanks to Kyle Stevens. Shall be back with you shortly on the Doug Peterson Show for Jeff Logerman on her entire crew.
Speaker 1: I'm JP Shadwick.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour on Jaguars Radio